CAPITALS AT OILERS G11, 13-14

Edmonton and Washington have chosen #1 overall in the draft three times each since 1974. Edmonton’s selections were better. Honest.

Azorcan3

The Caps picks (Greg Joly, Rick Green, Alex Ovechkin) boast the great 8 and two defenders who never did deliver on their promise. The Oilers three (Hall, Nuge, Yakupov) are not Ovechkin level talents, but if the Oilers are patient they’re going to have a murderer’s row that no Capitals team could ever manage (and the Washington Capitals have had some stunning offensive talents).

WINGMEN

sw1

The Oilers had a nice group of wingers not long ago, but losing Taylor Hall, Ryan Smyth and Jesse Joensuu in a short period means coach Dallas Eakins is going to have some work to do. He cobbled together an interesting group for the Montreal game, let’s review the lines from G10:

1. Nuge-Yakupov-Eberle: Nuge-Eberle have always played well together, it’s going to take some time for Yakupov to feel comfortable. He’s so damn talented that once he catches fire this should be fun. Oilers don’t have a lot of options if this goes south, though.
  2. Arcobello-Perron-Hemsky: I like this line plenty, thought they did some really good things the other night. When everyone gets healthy, the emergence of Arcobello is going to create a nice problem.
  3. Gordon-Jones-Pitlick: I have no idea how much credit to give anyone but Gordon, so he gets a lot of it. Severe zone starts, skated miles, does a lot of things well. I also liked Pitlick’s game, hope he can add some offense to it.
  4. Acton-Eager-Gazdic: Acton’s a bigger body, Gazdic is certainly a capable Droid, Eager didn’t accomplish much and I’m not sure he’s going to be around a long time.

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED

sw2

Oilers keep showing up in trade rumors, it’s usually a tough winger with skill or a top 4 defenseman. I’m not certain about the blueline, seems to me Petry is making another step forward this season and if Laddy can settle in (and he’s been better, suspect there was an injury early) that’s a solid pairing. Belov-J Schultz looks good to my eye, that big Russian is a nice addition; after that, Ference provides the leadership Eakins wants, Nick Schultz is not able to keep up and Denis Grebeshkov has played about 5 minutes all season.

I think we’ll probably start hearing rumblings about Oscar Klefbom being close to ready at some point after Christmas, and the club will make room at the deadline (depending on where they are in the standings).

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

sw3

10 this morning on TSN 1260, we’ll set the scene for the Capitals-Oilers. Scheduled to appear:

• Scott Reynolds from Copper and Blue. We’ll talk about the end of the road trip, wingmen and the blue. Plus tonight’s game.
  • Rob Parker from Japer’s Rink.  Rob will give us the inside scoop on the Caps powerplay, Ovechkin and the brilliant Backstrom.
  • Alan Hull from Copper and Blue. We’ll talk Boyd Gordon and his tremendous play, plus Perron, Eberle and more.
  • James Dator, Catch Scratch Reader.  James will help us make sense of the Thursday nighter.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on the twitter. Hope you can tune in!

378 Responses to "CAPITALS AT OILERS G11, 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hemsky makes a gorgeous play… Louie starts talking about Lloydminster’s Holtby!

Canadian hockey broadcasters. never change please. You’re hilarious.

2. RexLibris says:

Heck of a pass by Arcobello there.

3. squeezboks says:

really liked pitlick’s game so far tonight.

4. OilFire says:

Whoah, MarcoBello with a beauty hit, knocking Green’s helmet off!

5. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Hemsky makes a gorgeous play… Louie starts talking about Lloydminster’s Holtby!

Canadian hockey broadcasters. never change please. You’re hilarious.

We should make up a Broadcasting Bingo chart. One for SN, TSN and CBC. The free spaces could be Don Cherry for CBC, Principe’s pun for SN and and Duthie-ism for TSN.

6. spoiler says:

I can watch this shit all night. There’s more structure. They’re playing smart and patient while still driving the play. They look, and its been going on for a couple of games now, like they’ve gotten their act together.

7. B S says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

they did point out that Hemsky leads the team in Takeaways. Have to imagine that hurt them to say.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: Is that hands or “hands”? Or Han’s?

hand panda.

9. RexLibris says:

spoiler,

I was thinking the exact same thing. This kind of game can win on many nights.

10. RexLibris says:

Just not this night.

I’d say that could have been called no goal. 2-0 WAS

12. Lucinius says:

Meh. That should count; the Oiler defenseman forced him into Dubnyk.

Oilers just not getting the bounces tonight, unfortunately.

13. SK Oiler Fan says:

Well that’s bs. I expect a make up call if the NHL is going to insist on situational officiating.

14. spoiler says:

Let’s see if they can stick with the gameplan or lose the thread.

15. G Money says:

While the announcers are talking about how Chimera “forced” the play on Schultz, what I saw is that Schultz beat Chimera to the puck, took it away, then was tripped as he took the puck up ice. It shouldn’t have counted, not because of Ward, but because the play was originally caused by a rather obvious trip.

I dunno, it seems like a “Bettman” rule – against US-based teams, the standard for calling penalties always seems a bit skewed in the US teams favour.

16. RexLibris says:

So, good news. Horcoff has an assist and is 50% on the draws tonight against the Flames.

The Oilers losing is somehow still his fault.

17. Wolfie says:

Why is it so hard for this team to get rolling?

18. Dead Cat Bounce says:

RexLibris: I queue’d you up perfectly there.

Yes you did.

Dallas is going to be a very good hockey team.

Sure glad the Oilers passed on Nill. :)

19. OilBuzz says:

RexLibris:

The Oilers losing is somehow still his fault.

How is this relevant?

20. spoiler says:

A powerplay goal is almost too much to hope for.

21. G Money says:

There’s your situational officiating. Been at least a dozen comparable Wsh hooks, holds, trips, etc. that were worse than that one, none called.

22. spoiler says:

spoiler: A powerplay goal is almost too much to hope for.

The way this game is going

23. OilFire says:

What amazing anticipation by Hopper there on the PP takeaway

24. RexLibris says:

OilBuzz,

I was curious to see how Horcoff was doing against the Flames. I haven’t heard much about him so far this season and it would have been a bit of Oiler luck if he managed a goal against the Flames on the same night that his old team was being shut out.

25. SK Oiler Fan says:

I don’t see Holtby letting them back in this one. Real underated goalie.

26. bookje says:

Oilers are going to win this game!

27. RexLibris says:

Seems like the Oilers could use some of Joensuu’s net crashing about now. I suspect that might be the game plan for the 3rd, traffic and bodies in front of Holtby, he’s seeing everything very well so far and the defensemen are taking away most of the 2nd chances.

28. Wolfie says:

Holtby is having a good night.

29. spoiler says:

Should’ve had Perron out for that faceoff.

30. OilFire says:

Hopkins is really starting to get his Nuge-y-ness back.

31. striatic says:

The Oilers deserve better than 2-0 here.

Unfortunately I think we’re at the point where unless the catch some breaks, soon, more than just this game will be in jeopardy.

32. RexLibris says:

The numbers seem to be tilted in Edmonton’s favour, and it would seem that Dubnyk is having a very good night as well. He deserves a win off this performance.

Dead Cat Bounce: Yes you did.

Dallas is going to be a very good hockey team.

Sure glad the Oilers passed on Nill.

Nill isn’t stupid.

34. RexLibris says:

OilFire:
    Hopkins is really starting to get his Nuge-y-ness back.

Nuge-y-ness.

I think I might ask for a bottle of that for Christmas.

60% of the time, it works every time.

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, back home and it looks like we’re back to the early season… winning the battles and losing the war. The good news is… we’re back to playing well and DD is hardly stinking it up (like at the beginning of the year).

I think the Corsi dip over the last several games may be road-inflected. Something to watch. Perhaps Eakins’ systems work better when he has a tighter grip on match-ups.

36. justDOit says:

Kevin O’NeillVerified account ‏@KevinBuffalo

Is it bad when an NHL team has more suspensions than wins?

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

25 23 52.1% CF after 2.

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10: More like Nill passed on the Oilers, or would have passed on the OIlers (unless Lowe, MacT, and all the cronies) were booted by Katz.

Nill isn’t stupid.

Well, this is an unfalsifiable counterfactual!

39. RexLibris says:

justDOit:
    Kevin O’NeillVerified account ‏@KevinBuffalo

Is it bad when an NHL team has more suspensions than wins?

Ha!

At this rate the ’13-’14 Sabres could make people long for the 70s Flyers. At least that team won.

40. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Nill isn’t stupid.

This.

41. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Perhaps Eakins’ systems work better when he has a tighter grip on match-ups.

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: Or maybe the team is just getting a grip on the system.

For sure, that’s probably true. Certainly makes sense!

They aren’t really mutually exclusive propositions though.

43. spoiler says:

G Money: Or maybe the team is just getting a grip on the system. Even as the Corsi has dipped (road fatigue?), the team has actually started to look a little more organized defensively. They actually look pretty good tonight against a pretty potent offense.I did hear a rather frightening statement before the season started that it would take 30 games for Eakins’ system to be properly absorbed and executed. Wish I could remember who said it, but I recall it seemed a semi-credible source. That’s a lot of a season.

It was either Eakins or MacT; can’t remember which but I think the latter.

44. spoiler says:

I thought their defending of Montreal for the last two periods was outstanding.

45. Zelepukin says:

This is the kind of game where Hemsky comes out with an injury. I can feel it.

46. RexLibris says:

Zelepukin,

Take that back!

47. striatic says:

spoiler: It was either Eakins or MacT; can’t remember which but I think the latter.

48. G Money says:

LOL. Second 10-bell chance for Perron not buried. And then that happens.

49. RexLibris says:

And that’s pretty much the game.

Well that was a schooling. 3-0 WAS

51. unca miltie says:

well at least the cards beat the bosox and the flame lost too

52. alice13 says:

It will take 30 games till we see 89 and 4 in the same lineup. Considering those plus Smyth and Jxu, the team has done a good job and could easily be at 1 -1 . As said above, not a bad game by any stretch. Some you win, some you don’t.

Edit: Of course shit happens while you’re typing…

53. OilBuzz says:

This is extremely frusterating

54. RexLibris says:

I’m going to turn off my tv now so that the Oilers can come back with 4 straight goals.

55. Lucinius says:

While I like what Perron brings to this team.. he’s getting very Whiffcoffian on us; he can’t seem to bury gifts.

56. bookje says:

Ok, somebody hit the comeback button.

57. SK Oiler Fan says:

what are you talking about Louie? Nuge was on the wrong side of his man 3 times in 20 seconds. He’s been great until he got owned there.

58. striatic says:

alice13: Some you win, some you don’t.

problem is, Oilers already used up their allotment of “some you don’t” games for the entire first half of the season.

59. G Money says:

SK Oiler Fan:

Actually, watch the replay in super slow mo. A lot of that was set up by nice subtle little trip by Backstrom as he stuck his foot out as the Nuge was skating past in the crease. Until then the battle level and the coverage was mostly there.

60. OilBuzz says:

Yakupov is literally panicking every time he gets the puck

61. Nostradumbass says:

G Money: Or maybe the team is just getting a grip on the system.Even as the Corsi has dipped (road fatigue?), the team has actually started to look a little more organized defensively.They actually look pretty good tonight against a pretty potent offense.

I did hear a rather frightening statement before the season started that it would take 30 games for Eakins’ system to be properly absorbed and executed.Wish I could remember who said it, but I recall it seemed a semi-credible source. That’s a lot of a season.

Thats just some speculation that has no facts as a basis

Why 30? Based on what info? What experience?

Organizational spin

If a coach in a job interview told you it would take almost a half year for a system tomtake hold i think i would ask some tough questions

62. Wolfie says:

Nail still pressing too hard. Fack!

63. Ice Sage says:

“deserved better”

How often will we hear this this year?

Losing is a lifestyle

64. "Steve Smith" says:

Nostradumbass,

You might want to turn off your phone’s autoincorrect.

65. RexLibris says:

Seeing a huge difference in the play of the 4th line tonight. They are actually keeping the puck in the offensive zone, even if it isn’t with possession.

Much better.

66. gr8one says:

SHUTOUT.

67. spoiler says:

Losing forward support as they cheat for O.

68. "Steve Smith" says:

Remember when Ovechkin’s career was inexplicably over, because his offence had vanished?

69. OilBuzz says:

I want to be angry about this game, but I can’t find anything to complain about. What’s the deal?

70. Wolfie says:

Eakins might want to mix things up a bit. Nothing is clicking right now.

A full training camp, 7 preseason games, 30 regular season games. A training camp and 37 games.

Krueger only had 48 games, no training camp, compressed schedule.

Practise time wise, Eakins probably ends up with more.

So the OIlers and the blog are now building in an excuse for Eakins’s failure.

72. spoiler says:

striatic: I believe it was a commentator passing along a somewhat anonymous comment from someone “high up” in the Oilers org. Not a direct quote.

That might be.

73. "Steve Smith" says:

I find myself hoping that Washington peppers the Oilers with shots for the rest of the game, just to inflate Dubnyk’s save percentage.

THERE ARE NO FALLACIES INVOLVED IN MY THINKING.

74. G Money says:

Nostradumbass: Thats just some speculation that has no facts as a basis

LOL. It is factual that somebody “semi-credible” said that. It is factual that I heard it.

What we choose to do with that information is entirely up to us.

I did not realize that speculation was not allowed in blog commentary. I will make sure to review your future posts to ensure that they are factual and not speculative in nature.

Dumbass.

Oops, sorry.

Nostra Dumbass.

75. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”:

Remember when Semin couldn’t score because he “fights like a girl”?

For me, the biggest concern is no longer the team, it’s organizational patience. this is a good plan, they have to stick with it.

1. Find a way to improve the PP
    2. Find a way to find Yak

Hell, even the 4line is fixed. I’m liking this team, even as they slide to 3-7-1.

77. SK Oiler Fan says:

At some point you need at least an ugly PP goal to help the cause.
    Every big mistake ends up in the Oiler net and they can’t burry their own grade A chances.

78. Andropod says:

G Money: LOL.It is factual that somebody “semi-credible” said that. It is factual that I heard it.

What we choose to do with that information is entirely up to us.

Dumbass.

Oops, sorry.

Nostra Dumbass.

It will become factual if it actually happens. But I think that is an outlier, hence my 20-30 game estimate. Equally speculative.

79. Nostradumbass says:

godot10:

Krueger only had 48 games, no training camp, compressed schedule.

Practise time wise, Eakins probably ends up with more.

So the OIlers and the blog are now building in an excuse for Eakins’s failure.

I agree

Hard to see any lift right now from the Eakins hire…Im not giving up on him but this idea that he needs a half season to aclimatize is a foolish statement straight from the Oilers roldex marked “Excuses for a decade of failure”

80. "Steve Smith" says:

1. Find a way to improve the PP

Agreed. And I refuse to believe that this is an (on-ice) personnel issue, so I hope their solution isn’t a player move.

I actually think the power play has looked reasonably good, and at times better, tonight. If they keep this up, I think the goals will come.

Man. Chimera.

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Chimera. Former Oiler. The circle is complete.

82. RexLibris says:

I don’t like Perron in front of the net. I realize it is a temporary thing, but his skill set seems to be in the Gagner-range, about 6 to 10 feet from the net, crashing the crease only after the whistle.

And we have the old-Oiler curse.

Great, let’s do that again this year.

83. Brackenburied says:

Shit burgers!!

84. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”:

THERE ARE NO FALLACIES INVOLVED IN MY THINKING.

Your infallibility is a chimera. (sorry)

85. Nostradumbass says:

Im so glad we got to have Pauckovich and Liam Reddox in the organization for 15 minutes as return in the Chimera trade

He only had what…400 more games as a useful 3rd line center in him

86. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Eakins is all hat and no cattle.

Fired before the 40 game mark.

there’s nothing about Boyd Gordon I dislike.

The real fun starts when the Oilers start playing real hockey teams, you know, Western Conference hockey teams.

89. Ice Sage says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    At some point you need at least an ugly PP goal to help the cause.

And to do that, you need a big lunkhead who will go to the net and stay there.
    MacT’s Clarkson pursuit makes sense now, don’t it?

Whack a mole Oilers

90. "Steve Smith" says:

Nostradumbass:

To my recollection, Reddox was in the organization for more than thirty years.

91. "Steve Smith" says:

Ice Sage: MacT’s Clarkson pursuit makes sense now, don’t it?

No. No it doesn’t.

92. Zelepukin says:

Is it just me or does this game feel like Hemmer has reverted back to his old self, of half assing in back-checking, not stopping and applying pressure to when the puck hasn’t gone his way and the opposition has picked it up? Basically looking lazy if the puck isn’t moving in his direction.

93. Ice Sage says:

Dead Cat Bounce:
    Eakins is all hat and no cattle.

Fired before the 40 game mark.

OK, time to retire that quote, lil cowpoke
    Nothing good ever came of repeated, rapid change.
    Besides, the Canucks wanted him so he’s gotta be good.

94. OilFire says:

there’s nothing about Boyd Gordon I dislike.

Boobs are too small…

95. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Zelepukin:

what?

96. "Steve Smith" says:

Ice Sage: Besides, the Canucks wanted him so he’s gotta be good.

Players are not intrinsically “good” or “not good”. Their goodness exists on a probability wave that only collapses once a team expresses interest, and can un-collapse and re-collapse in different ways depending on the observer. For example, Horcoff was not good when he was an Oilogosphere favourite making $5.5 million to play for the non-cap Oilers, but became good when the Stars acquired him at the same salary. In fact, he became so good that Dallas having to give up only a pick and a depth defenceman for the privilege of paying him the same $5.5 million per year that was an albatross immediately before was a shrewd trade by Dallas, demonstrating the superiority of their management team over MacTavish. Thus it is with Eakins.

97. Wolfie says:

This reminds me of the ball hockey game I played last night. Nothing going the Oilers way. Every puck bounces just beyond their reach, over the stick or hits the wrong side of the post. Meanwhile Washington buries every good chance they get.

98. G Money says:

godot10: So the OIlers and the blog are now building in an excuse for Eakins’s failure.

Bullshit.

The Krueger Oilers stunk from start to finish. They often finished better because of an unsustainably high sv%, especially on the PK, but otherwise by every other metric went backward over the previous year.

The Eakins Oilers have looked better than the RK Oilers (apart from unsustainably poor sv % and badly ineffective PK) in the majority of games so far this season. Even tonight.

I brought up the 30 game speculation because, if accurate, it would indicate that it’s still relatively early in the process.

99. Ice Sage says:

“Steve Smith”,

OK, maybe not at that price, but who’s going to the blue paint when the fancy nancy boys get trapped and pushed to the outside? The ingredients of a competitor aren’t here.

100. spoiler says:

Please let that not be an injury.

101. SK Oiler Fan says:

Nice play by Grabo and another perfect shot. A bit alarming with alot of goals bearing DD high this year. Not saying DD has been bad tonight though. I guess that was the book on him before though, he is down early on every shot and IMO his upper body gear could be bulkier if you compare to other goalies. If Wash improves their D they could surprise.

102. OilBuzz says:

The game is lost, please don’t injure yourselves guys!

103. G Money says:

OilFire: Boobs are too small…

No idea how to parse that comment. Do not want to parse that comment!

104. Nostradumbass says:

I was a huge MacT as coach fan and thought he was a great judge of talent and NHL ability but it scares me a little that he gave up and then ran Chimera right off the team

There were indications it was personal which while sucks is a little more understandable, sometimes people just dont click

105. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Ice Sage: OK, time to retire that quote, lil cowpoke
    Nothing good ever came of repeated, rapid change.
    Besides, the Canucks wanted him so he’s gotta be good.

The Canucks interviewed him but MacT jumped without looking at all the options.

7-4-1

3-7-1

Good lord.

106. spoiler says:

Lead the league in blocked shots. That’s what happens when John Tortorella moves next door.

107. Nuckout says:

Gordon’s hurt…..greaaaaaaaaat.

Eakins please teach JSchultz the definition of the word “hustle”. He loses so many puck battles cause he looks like a bored teenager out there.. oh wait..

108. spoiler says:

Thank you Gords… motherfuckers.

Schultz (Perron)

110. OilFire says:

Nuckout:
    Gordon’s hurt…..greaaaaaaaaat.

Done.

111. justDOit says:

Dead Cat Bounce:
    Eakins is all hat and no cattle.

Fired before the 40 game mark.

112. OilBuzz says:

Perron’s a keeper

113. Nuckout says:

The oilers have needed a good pest for a long time, Perron fits that bill perfectly, plus he’s got hands made of gold.

114. D says:

I don’t know. Can’t really fault the Oil for this one. I thought they played pretty well tonight. Just one of those games that didn’t go their way, but not for lack of trying or lack of execution.

115. Dead Cat Bounce says:

RNH -4

Yakupov -4

Owned.

116. G Money says:

Dead Cat Bounce: The Canucks interviewed him but MacT jumped without looking at all the options.

7-4-1

3-7-1

Good lord.

Hey, remember last year when the Oilers went 3-1-1 against the Canucks? I well remember your explanation was that they didn’t have their second line centre. “If only they had their second line centre,” went the sad wail, “it would have been a different story!”

Huh.

117. "Steve Smith" says:

Perron is outstanding. I’m all for picking Pajaarvi back up from the Blues, who apparently no longer want him, just to see if we can trade him for that kind of quality all over again.

118. Diesel says:

Stay the course, boys. It’s coming together.

Maybe a tweak to the lines… otherwise keep your nose to the grindstone.

119. "Steve Smith" says:

G Money,

Yeah, but that’s distinguishable on the facts: Kesler’s a Canuck.

120. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So… apparently the special teams didn’t matter tonight. huh.

“Steve Smith”:
    Perron is outstanding.I’m all for picking Pajaarvi back up from the Blues, who apparently no longer want him, just to see if we can trade him for that kind of quality all over again.

That trade looks like a Sather style steal now.

122. Ice Sage says:

7-4-1

3-7-1

Good lord.

Wow – looks like a 2 game swing each way evens that out… how convincing! Torts milking some aging stars like Woody Allen (note the big apple reference) don’t impress me much.

This being an Oiler blog, they’re still struggling but Eakins is corralling the stampede. But I know you’d love to see Crawford on the bench so the futility would continue.

123. Andropod says:

No Hall No Jonesuu No Gagner No Smyth. That’s 4 good forwards they are playing without. Seems to me they are building a good crew here.

124. G Money says:

Ice Sage: don’t impress me much.

Also the Shania Twain reference.

125. G Money says:

Andropod:

No excuse! Not one of those guys is a Canuck!

126. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m guess it’s the rarest of 4 minutes ever, but the 4th line crushed the corsi.

Eager, Acton and Gazdic all above 80%. How do you not win a game when this happens?

The Hockey Gords mock.

127. Tarkus says:

I caught the game on the Caps’ feed. They posted an eye-opening stat:

128. Ice Sage says:

G Money: Also the Shania Twain reference.

Yeah, I’ll go watch some of her videos now to lift my spirits and bring back the (lady) puck luck.

129. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: No idea how to parse that comment.Do not want to parse that comment!

Parsley that comment!

130. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

This is a much improved club from the start of the year. Showing more cohesion and system acceptance tonight. MacT will need more time to juggle pieces to get the mix right but it won’t be much longer and things will start to happen. I’m perfectly ok with that.

Not much I can complain about how the team played tonight. An honest effort all around. But this complement of players is in the league lower half today. Some players will mature to get tougher but more aggressive player moves are also needed to make the jump to the upper half and get on with it. They simply need to be more nasty and ‘tougher to play against’. More scrape and grime. Perron illustrates the point as he brings the game I want a whole lot more of. He stands out so damn much because he is so different from the other skill guys. He’s nasty with skill. He wants his inch on the ice and will fight to take another. Absolutely no capitulation. A straight up bastard out there.

I appreciate all the dipsy doodling and skill but sometimes a little more blunt force trauma to make your statement game in, game out is required.

131. Numenius says:

Dead Cat Bounce:
    RNH -4

Yakupov -4

Owned.

DSF, you make some valid points. Could you do it without adding the arrogance though?

132. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

The Hockey Gords mock.

You seem to have an extraskater gift – all I get is “still calculating”. But I have to admit, by eye that Eager-Acton-Jones line (is that who was out there? hardly saw Gazdic) played some really good non-face-punching hockey.

That Fenwick Shot chart (which is awesome) is extremely bothersome …
    Big push by the Oilers. Wsh goal. Big push by the Oilers. Wsh goal. Big push by the Oilers. Wsh goal. Middle third lull by the Oilers. Wsh goal. Big push by the Oilers. Finally a goal, too little too late.

133. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So… solid game played by the boys all in all. A few defensive breakdowns and a few bad bounces. None really even Dubnyk’s fault, though that sv% is going to linger near the foul end of the pool a little longer apparently.

Dennis King ‏@DKingBH 17m

Final chance tally: 3rd period: 8-3. Overall: 26-11; 7-2 ST

135. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money,

It’s working now (I just checked again).

Another oddity: This may be the first game in which Smid tops Petry in corsi (only marginally mind you).

136. Nuckout says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:

Well said. I hate to look to the canucks, but they’ve always had a reputation of playing like a team of pests, and they give no quarter. I see fight and hustle coming from about 50% of the team. Unless they’re running and gunning and able to break through the defence on odd man rushes, they need to win puck battles in the corners and fight for it. Who cares if the wins are greasy, points are king. Teams walk in and play the type of game the oil SHOULD be playing right off the bat, and run us ragged. Eakins needs to bring the fight out of the players and light some fires under some lazy asses.

137. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    G Money,

It’s working now (I just checked again).

CF 5×5 for the Oilers 53.8%.

The tale of the game is in the shooting percentages. 3.2% (all situations) for the Oilers and 15.4% for the Caps.

Edit: and Ray goes 39 of 55 (86.7%) including 21 straight, for 505 yards, and 3 TDs. Because Oilers. Both :-) and :-( and :-O

Wow. I expected the Nuge line to be in the early 40%’s but they’re almost 50%. Luck she is a beach.

139. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The important thing now is for the team to understand what happened. They played very well without their best player and some key contributors. That needs to be the message, not the scoresheet.

This team can win. Patience and steady improvement are the ingredients. Stay away from eye’s of newt, etc.

“We were playing with some pace and heaviness to our game… but late in the 2nd I felt the air come out of the balloon.” – Coach Eakins

141. Racki says:

The Oilers deserved a much better result than this one.

I would also like to think that the TSN turning point in Yakupov’s career will be watching tape of one of his idols launch a puck off his stick, headed for the top corner, before he could even react to what was about to happen. Of course, he thought very incorrectly that Ovi would miss that puck. There are a couple of guys on the team who have to learn that you have to make the safe plays first and let the offense come when it comes.

Same old story here… can’t capitalize on their chances well enough, despite good effort.. other team seems to capitalize when the system breaks down, or gets a bit of puck luck. Hockey gods still hate the Oil, for now.

Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe 3m

“I really think we tried to step on the gas but there was no gas left.” Dallas Eakins

143. G Money says:

Racki: Of course, he thought very incorrectly that Ovi would miss that puck.

I don’t give Yak a pass on all the times he tried to singlehandedly stickhandle past a forest of Wsh defenders, but I give him a pass on that one.

144. 719 says:

Andropod:

Bingo!

145. Racki says:

G Money: This is true. At first I thought it was Yak cheating for offense. On second viewing I thought he figured the pass was going to the defenseman and was heading that way. On third viewing, the pass WAS going to the defenseman – it was a rocket – and Ovie somehow managed to snag it, probably one of five players in the world who could, and fire it past a surprised everyone.

Yah, in fairness, the d-man is his guy, if he was thinking that’s where it was going. So a fair point on that. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t, I guess.

But man.. Ovi.. dude is ridiculous. The release is otherworldly.

146. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Racki:
    The Oilers deserved a much better result than this one.

I would also like to think that the TSN turning point in Yakupov’s career will be watching tape of his idol launch a puck off his stick, headed for the top corner, before he could even react to what was about to happen. Of course, he thought very incorrectly that Ovi would miss that puck. There are a couple of guys on the team who have to learn that you have to make the safe plays first and let the offense come when it comes.

Yea. wow. watching it again in HD really shows what happened here:

Yak got himself way out of position, weirdly too… he must have thought it would slip past 8 somehow… which is a really weird, not to mention awful, assumption to make.

That and a few other bits aside, I thought he played a pretty ok game. He’s making smarter plays with the puck in this own zone.

147. G Money says:

Tarkus: Since the start of the 2011-12 season, the Oilers are 1-14 (counting tonight’s loss) in the first game back from a road trip of at least two games.

I’ve heard the “letdown after a long roadtrip” phenomenon trotted out quite a few times – seems to be pretty well established in the league. Would be interesting to see the records of other teams after a long road trip, I’m guessing if the idea is rooted in fact, you might see a lot of lousy records.

148. Dead Cat Bounce says:

G Money: Hey, remember last year when the Oilers went 3-1-1 against the Canucks?I well remember your explanation was that they didn’t have their second line centre. “If only they had their second line centre,” went the sad wail, “it would have been a different story!”

Huh.

Kesler is on pace for a 35 goal season.

Gagner is on pace for a 0 goal season.

Head to head…6-2 Canucks.

Questions?

149. Racki says:

Oh and Perron.. I feel like Pierre McGuire watching him every night… guy is a hell of a hockey player. I’d say a “real NHLer”.

150. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

G Money,

Hmm, based on Rom’s link here, I’d have to disagree.. that was a pretty obvious pass to Ovechkin, and it wasn’t that hard of a pass. Looks like Yak was skating behind expecting Ovi to miss it??? And I agree with Rom, this is a terrible assumption. The safe play says stick to Ovi like glue. Yak wasn’t even concerned about the D-man there, by the looks of things.

151. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I watched it again after reading this… I think it was a pass for 8. The D isn’t moving into position to receive that pass with any authority and the way the 3 players are all looking, it looks more like a pass to 8.

But watching it again, it does look like Yak, at least may have thought the pass was headed for the D.

Dead Cat Bounce: Kesler is on pace for a 35 goal season.

Gagner is on pace for a 0 goal season.

Head to head…6-2 Canucks.

Questions?

Booze or weed?

153. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Kesler is on pace for a 35 goal season.

Gagner is on pace for a 0 goal season.

Head to head…6-2 Canucks.

Questions?

This needs to be recorded for posterity.

That slacker Gagner! No Points!!!

154. G Money says:

Racki: Hmm, based on Rom’s link here, I’d have to disagree.. that was a pretty obvious pass to Ovechkin, and it wasn’t that hard of a pass.

Watch the speed of the pass and the speed of the shot and the positioning of the defenseman behind Ovie. It is faceoff-snap-bang. The “snap” is much harder then you’d expect for the shortness of the pass, which is why I think Yak was fooled into thinking it was going to the defenseman. Not arguing he didn’t make a mistake – just saying it was an understandable one.

Dead Cat Bounce: Gagner is on pace for a 0 goal season.

It is a uniquely dee ess effian use of statistics to project the goal scoring of a player who hasn’t played a game yet. But keep trying, you might get the hang of it eventually.

155. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gretzky 0 goals this season. Bum.

156. G Money says:

Kesler on pace for -21 this season. Bum.

Here’s a statistic that will surprise no-one: Canucks on pace for 0 Stanley Cups!

157. Racki says:

G Money: Watch the speed of the pass and the speed of the shot and the positioning of the defenseman behind Ovie. It is faceoff-snap-bang.The “snap” is much harder then you’d expect for the shortness of the pass, which is why I think Yak was fooled into thinking it was going to the defenseman. Not arguing he didn’t make a mistake – just saying it was an understandable one.

Also, the intermission crew pointed out that Ovi scored a very similar goal to this vs Winnipeg on Tuesday too. At least 3 guys on the ice knew exactly what was going to be attempted there (you could argue though that Yak obviously wasn’t one of them).

158. Andropod says:

We made a mistake putting Yak straight into the big league. The poor fellow needs to spend some time in the A to reset and regain his confidence. Please let’s not hang the young fellow out to dry any longer, it’s not doing anybody any good.

159. justDOit says:

So to sum up: We hoped for the best, but said, “I do.”

160. Dead Cat Bounce says:

G Money:
    Kesler on pace for -21 this season. Bum.

Hopkins on pace for a -83 season.

Holy cow,

Gagner hasn’t done laundry since Sunday! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

162. dawgtoy says:

Lowetide: Booze or weed?

LOL. Classic!

163. Racki says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Hopkins on pace for a -83 season.

Holy cow,

DSF on pace to making a constructive post.. some distant day off in the future.

164. David says:

That was the best 4-1 loss I’ve ever seen. I have no criticism other than Washington’s third goal. We were very lazy on that play and they had an easy goal. Simply worked harder than us. Other than that we played very well. Belov was very good.

165. Zelepukin says:

Andropod:

I think he just needs to figure out the nhl level of positioning and adjusting his expectations of where the play is headed. He has the hands, the shot, the acceleration, but his top speed could use some work. Putting him down in the A would definitely boost his confidence but I don’t think that solves his issues with how you need to play at the NHL level.

166. denny33 says:

David,

The Washington crew thought the Schultz goal was the only chance by the Oilers…..can’t disagree.

Everyone here is happy…though.

Game should have been called in the 3rd….

Winnipeg jets directed 40 shots at Washington ……

But it is early….

167. Gi JQE says:

Holtby played a good game. And if we could have got one by him early could have been a different game. I think a bit more credit could go to him. He didn’t allow the oil back in it.

168. G Money says:

Racki: I think you should watch the vid Rom sent, as it’s obvious a touch pass from Johansson to Ovi. Ovi sings it off with great speed, but this is obviously a planned play. The d-man that could even remotely be considered recipient of that pass has his back (or side) to the play and is on his backhand.. wasn’t going to him at all.

Actually, I watch every goal a few times in slo mo on an HDPVR on a 70″ screen. I’m sort of trying to mirror the CoH “Neilsen numbers” project, and deconstruct each goal to try and understand who made the mistakes. It’s why I don’t buy into the whole “blame the swarm” rhetoric – having deconstructed a number of goals against, there’s actually not that many situations where the overload is to blame, it’s usually been a more vanilla situation with straightforward poor defensive coverage.

On this particular goal:

- The d-man you speak of is indeed on his backhand, but he’s skating into where the pass is going, he’s uncovered, and his line of sight has him looking *directly* at Johansson.
    - Johansson when he makes the pass is looking *directly* at the d-man, not Ovie who is quite far to the right of Johansson’s line of sight.
    - Yak is looking directly at Johansson. He sees the look between Johansson and the D and immediately darts to cover the D.
    - The pass (considering how close it was) is quite hard (you can see Johansson lean into it like a shot, not a touch pass at all)

You can see *all* of this if you freeze frame at 0:02 in the clip above, which I have conveniently snapshoted and annotated for you here: http://i.imgur.com/TrDGZLd.jpg

- I think the pass is a little off target for the D (it is closer to Ovie), probably because it was made so fast, and Ovie then reaches out to snag it with his stick, absorbs the momentum, and then immediately whips a laser into the top corner

If that’s a set play, then it is truly truly impressive, because it means that Johansson had the wherewithal to run a misdirect – like a quarterback, looking off the coverage and then passing to the receiver left uncovered by the misdirected defender. Just too much to believe in a hockey game.

Like I say – given the breakdown, Yak made a mistake (he probably should have covered Ovie regardless), but it’s understandable. YMMV.

169. bookje says:

For the record, I’ve given up hoping for the best.

170. TheOtherJohn says:

7 of the 10 teams with 14 points or better are in the West and of that group we’ve only played Vancouver. That does not include StL who has 11 pts in 7 games played. It will not get easier and we are 3-7-1

171. theres oil in virginia says:

bookje:
    For the record, I’ve given up hoping for the best.

We expected the worst and it turned out like always.

172. Gret99zky says:

Didn’t watch the game.

Heard we got lots of chances and played well in the first two periods.

I’m not the math guy but these accumulated losses are going to hurt the Oilers’ chances of making the playoffs.

Can you make the post-season with Corsi-wins?

173. Bank Shot says:

Time for some draft articles?

174. russ99 says:

I bailed after two periods, wasn’t feeling well (hockey induced?)

But it looks like the players are getting the hang of the systems on defense, and the goals I saw, we were just beat by better players.

However, it seems that the growing comfort level on defense is at the expense of the offense.

How many more games will it take to play solid defense and be creatively effective on offense? Then we may have something…

175. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: Booze or weed?

Neither booze nor weed can make one that stupid. This is a clear example of hardcore prescription drug abuse.

Gret99zky:
    Didn’t watch the game.

Heard we got lots of chances and played well in the first two periods.

Can you make the post-season with Corsi-wins?

And the OIlers haven’t really even started playing the Western Conference.

177. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10: According to extraskater.com, the OIlers are last in the Western Conference in Corsi close, and second last in Fenwick close.

And the OIlers haven’t really even started playing the Western Conference.

RK’s CF% 5x5close: 43.5%, tied for last in the league
    RK’s FF% 5x5close: 44.6%, 3rd worst in the league

DE’s CF% 5x5close: 45.8%
    DE’s FF% 5x5close: 46.7%

2 percentage points in the right direction. Could be a mirage. But given the number of road games and injuries, the improvement seems like it’s here to stay.

178. Ribs says:

theres oil in virginia: We expected the worst and it turned out like always.

I guess I’m glad I stopped watching after the first period :(

theres oil in virginia: The nhl.com summary of Eakins post-game suggests he thinks they were out of gas after the travel and time change. If so, how’s that going to get better by Saturday afternoon in Phoenix?

Some wind sprints oughtta help their endurance levels! Now to the stairs! Coach Short-Shorts to the rescue!

« Older Comments