EXERCISE IN FUTILITY, TAKE ONE

It’s easy to forget the Edmonton Oilers haven’t dressed their 20 best men in any game this season. Nuge is back, Gagner is closer but Hall is out and could be gone for some time. Damn Sam anyway. Among the things Craig MacTavish and Dallas Eakins are faced with today is replacing Taylor Hall on 1L. Sure they’ll dress Ryan Jones, but replacing Hall in the lineup (1L) is a tall damn order.

Azorcan3

• Nuge-Yakupov-Eberle
  • Arcobello-Perron-Hemsky
  • Gordon-Smyth-Jones
  • Acton-Gazdic-Brown

That’s the short term solution. Jones draws in (I know many want him with Arcobello-Perron but I like this better, at least to start) for the first game but I can’t imagine that’s going to be the long term solution. The Oilers are versatile enough at the top end that we can look for any forward (even a center) for callup. That means the house wines are:

1. Linus Omark: Leading scorer in OKC, he might/should help the PP and if you’re not going to give him a chance now it’ll never happen. He is not a good defensive winger, and that’s a consideration.
  2. Anton Lander: Although a center, Lander has NHL experience, can help on the PK and might be a better solution for the 3line than Jones right now.
  3. Tyler Pitlick: I’d say he is more of a 4line option and you’d like him to have a long period of success in OKC (he hasn’t had that yet) but this might be a good time to have a look when they’re using live ammo.
  4. Ben Eager: Eakins has been fairly consistent in how he’s going to use his 4line types, but maybe he feels Eager can handle a 3line role.

If it’s long term, I think the Oilers are going to have to make a deal. I’m hopeful  it’ll be for a Nikolai Kulemin type–a 2-way winger who could step onto that 3line and make a difference right away. I also think a long term injury will mean a tweak for the 4th line. They could also use the waiver wire while they’re down here, although the Oilers traditionally claim thumpers when going that route.

MAKING THE BEST OF IT

bomb shelter

If the Oilers do make a deal, one area that may be attractive to other teams is NHL defensemen. I’ve listed Ladislav Smid as a trade option so often it’s become something of a running joke, so instead of doing that let’s approach it this way. If an NHL team approached the Oilers with a trade offer but wanted a veteran blueliner in return, how could the Oilers replace a veteran defender?

Well, they have AHL options (Taylor Fedun, Martin Marincin, etc) and a few guys who are injured (Corey Potter) or going back between EDM and OKC (Phil Larsen). However, is Marincin (as an example) ready to step in and play at a higher level (top 6 NHL minutes)? Is Klefbom? I don’t think they are, or maybe it’s better to say they haven’t clearly established that they are ready.

Is Potter a worthy replacement? Larsen? I don’t know the answer but it is not a clear yes or no, and that’s not a good thing.

In other words, robbing Peter to pay Paul (using a very old phrase).

python

Tomorrow night’s game is a big one. If the Oilers return from the road trip 3-6-1, the trip (2-3-1) will have been a difficult but not disastrous completion of the first 10 games of the schedule. There are good things happening, this club has enough veterans on it to compete if they can stay in the hunt. That’s really what I want from this season: a trade deadline where we’re not discussing sending out Hemsky, and I don’t want to know the draft quality in November. That would be nice.

Oilers will probably update us on Taylor Hall in the next 30 hours, I’m going to think happy thoughts and listen to the top 40 until we hear something. Lalalalalalala. It’s the only way to go. Dallas Eakins will have them working on the powerplay, I suspect MacT will be trying to add someone (might be a defenseman). I still believe in this team, and maybe that’s the big item here. The loss of Taylor Hall would was devastating in past seasons, but the depth is better this year. Let’s not kid ourselves, though.  A 3-week timeline for return should be considered a gift from the Hockey Gods. Taylor Hall is this team’s best player.

Full stop.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

cybillsheppard

A lot to talk about this morning, 10am on TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide on twitter.

79 Responses to "EXERCISE IN FUTILITY, TAKE ONE"

1. Clarkenstein says:

Hall won’t be out long or he would have been on crutches. He may have to wear the brace for a long time tho’. As for making a deal… what the hell’s a deal? This org never makes deals anymore.

2. rich says:

@ Clarkenstein

For us long time readers, the true faithful on this blog, hope springs eternal for that elusive 3:1 deal that LT promises us!

3. Zipdot says:

Totally crushed by Hall’s injury. What a disaster.

Looking forward to seeing Sam back. Omark’s defensive non-chops dictate that he is only good for the 1-2 lines…

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Sure they’ll dress Ryan Jones, but replacing Hall in the lineup (1L) is a tall damn order.”

The fact that Gagner, Hall and Joensuu are all out and Jones still sits unpleasantly on the 3rd line is very telling. This is a contract that was not earned. I sincerely hope he scores 5 in the next 3 games though.

———-
    “Linus Omark: Leading scorer in OKC, he might/should help the PP and if you’re not going to give him a chance now it’ll never happen. He is not a good defensive winger, and that’s a consideration.”

I’d have called up Omark Sat. night. I like that Gordon-Smyth-Hemksy line a lot right now, and Omark can play.

———
    “If it’s long term, I think the Oilers are going to have to make a deal. I’m hopeful it’ll be for a Nikolai Kulemin type–a 2-way winger who could step onto that 3line and make a difference right away. ”

Yes to the player. Paajarvi too. With our luck, MacT will chase (if this 3rd liner is his target) another facepuncher with slightly better wheels and hands.

I think it might be too early in the year for a fire sale, with the possible exception of Florida and Buffalo (mind you, the rumors out of EDM were BS, so there’s a good chance they are BS coming out of anywhere).

Matthias? McCormick? Goc?

———
    “I also think a long term injury will mean a tweak for the 4th line. ”

Ironically this might be the course of things: injury leads Eakins to tweak the line up and in the process revamp his 4th line. He’s got the horses, any of Omark, Arco, Jones, Smyth, Hamilton, Eager, Pitlick, Lander, Acton… look like better options than Brown and Gazdic (+Smac).

———
    “I’ve listed Ladislav Smid as a trade option so often it’s become something of a running joke”

Not funny. Why do you hate Smid?

——–
    “If all of that is true, then the Oilers don’t have the horses to trade for a Kulemin at this point in time WITHOUT using a needed NHL asset to satisfy it, and don’t have the farm workers to cover the loss.”

A couple of tweaks to your assessment here:

1) a team like Toronto can’t afford to make up the difference between Kulemin and Smid/N. Schultz’ cap (and Kulemin is LTIR right now, but I get that he’s a standard bearer here and we aren’t talking about him specifically). Tor isn’t alone in cap trouble, so this would limit some teams.

2) I think you could grab a Kulemin type player with picks and/or prospects. A team like Tor probably doesn’t want roster players, ie. cap players anyway.

3) I think you may be underestimating the collection of Grebs, Larsen, Fedun, etc. as being unable to cover bottom pairing NHL minutes. I think they wouldn’t be world beaters, but they’d be a clear upgrade on Whitney and possibly even on N. Schultz and/or Smid (both of whom have struggled early into the season).

———
    “I’m going to think happy thoughts and listen to the top 40 until we hear something. Lalalalalalala. It’s the only way to go”

Here’s some vibey top 40 (if you make it all the way through… it really gets cooking):

5. Ben says:

“Build from the net out.”

‘If’ and when Nurse and Klefbom emerge as top pairing guys at 24-26, Hall and co. will be staring down their 3rd contracts.

J. Schultz is still learning D – but who’s teaching him? I think he’s more Poti than Niedermayar.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Zipdot: I’m kind of dismayed that we haven’t already turned some of our surplus 4-6 D into something… Seems like this is a trade we used to make a lot in the 06-10 years or so.

This has never been a team to make waves this early in the Season. LT did a piece at ON (IIRC) a while back (can’t find it) listing the number of trades by month through the years.

In fact, no one really does much this early in the season. It’s a dead zone of transactions.

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ben: Time to cash in one of the ‘big four’, a 1st and a good prospect for a real D. No idea who, where, what, when, why or how that might be, of course.

Most of the high quality D in the NHL are acquired through draft/develop, free agency and trades that don’t cost that much (think of J Bow, McDonagh, Pronger, etc.)

If you are giving away Yakupov for a D, it better be the best in the league under contract for 8 years and fully developed arriving at 25.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Willis from OKC:

Miller doesn’t seem to be dominating, but he does seem to be showing a lot better than in he did during preseason… I think we discount the effect of “slow starts” too much when weighing preseason performance. At any rate, he may yet carve out a useful pro career.

9. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Why spend so much when the majority of real top pairing D haven’t cost that much?

The FA market for D isn’t exactly inspiring this year. If a trade for D would be as easy as the Rangers deal to fleece the Habs of McDonagh, I’m sure it would be done. With those types I don’t think this is the norm. I was suggesting earlier that the Oilers could go this route though. That is, use your amateur scouts to scout the Crap out of other teams drafted prospects. Then jump on a trade for the guy that seems further along than his draft suggested he should be.

I am also a proponent of trading some good assets for that top end D. Pronger deals aren’t common.. That was definitely Lowe’s best work. I think a rock on the blue line would go a lot further than having even another 30 goal scorer. This team’s weakness is apparent.. The back end. They can’t wait for nurse or Marincin or klefbom. Plus having that big defensive rock will help groom these young D.

On mobile, so I apologize if autocorrect went crazy

10. justDOit says:

Diesel,

So they opened up the clinic for Hall on Sunday? Or are they normally open 7 days/wk?

11. justDOit says:

A tongue-in-cheek look at what the Oilers could do to exercise the injury demons in the locker room. It’s all in the last line.

If, like me, you’re at the limit of ‘free’ articles from this rag, use the Chrome browser and it should let you view.

12. Diesel says:

I think my comment was removed. Did I cross a line into insane speculation territory?

It was more plausible than the Miller/Vanek rumors.

13. denny33 says:

Quick rehash of the Sens game….My apologies.

I thought the Minnesota crew was the worst in the league…Dean Brown and Potvin really were brutal homers.

Dean Brown with a significant rant about the Oilers running the Sens goalie three times and Brad Watson not doing anything…..Incredible.

On the positive side – told the story of doing a Coyotes game and how all Dave Tippett would talk about was Boyd Gordon and how big a loss it was for his team.

14. Colonel Obvious says:

I think you put two lines together that can play against anyone, and a third line you hide as much as you can. If it’s me I call up Omark but we know that won’t happen. Given the existing roster I’d run:

Smyth–Gordon–Hemsky (no reason to break this line up)
    Perron-Hopkins–Eberle
    Yakupov–Arcobello–Jones
    Useless dregs

Actually if it was me I’d call up Lander and Omark and use them on the fourth line. Give the Gordon and Hopkins lines every single defensive zone start, and mix the Arcobello and Lander lines in. There is no reason under good circumstances to have a useless fourth line, however it is times like these that it really hurts.

I say it again, having a terrible fourth line really hurts a team. If you are going to criticize Eakins, this is the spot to criticize him.

15. TheOtherJohn says:

At one point in time Cybill Sheppard was an incredibly beautiful woman.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Racki: The FA market for D isn’t exactly inspiring this year. If a trade for D would be as easy as the Rangers deal to fleecethe Habs of McDonagh, I’m sure it would be done. With those types I don’t think this is the norm. I was suggesting earlier that the Oilers could go this route though. That is, use your amateur scouts to scout the Crap out of other teams drafted prospects. Then jump on a trade for the guy that seems further along than his draft suggested he should be.

On mobile, so I apologize if autocorrect went crazy

But are those free agent signings and trades rare because these players are typically acquired through other means (like giving up a former 1st OV, or equivalent), or because these players are scarce?

I would suggest the latter.

The fact is it is very hard to acquire a legit top pairing (24+ mins a night all 3 disciplines all well) player. But, when they are acquired it is extraordinarily rare to spend so high. If we look at the list of the great Ds in the league now:

(we can quibble with this list, but most of the best names are there)

You’ll be hard pressed to find a player that was acquired at so high a cost. The closest I can think of is Chara’s first trade involving Yashin, but that was an extenuating circumstance that Yakupov (despite some of his detractors) doesn’t qualify for.

Pronger deals are actually the norm: one high grade player acquired for some kind of bundle of players and/or prospects and/or picks. Look at the Byfulien trade, the J-Bow trade, the Phaneuf trade, Campbell’s trades, the Boyle trade, the Tyutin trade, etc.

Now, not all of these guys are clear 1s and 2s…. but they are all very, very good and none were acquired for the price of a Yakupov.

There seems to be very little history (I could be wrong about this) of straight up “hockey trades” F for D. Most of the time the best player is exchanged by a team failing to recognize talent (McDonagh) or trying to offload veterans for futures (J. Bow).

Diesel:
    It was more plausible than the Miller/Vanek rumors.

18. Colonel Obvious says:

Willis reports that neither Eager nor Pitlick are at practice today with the Barons. Recall?

19. Andropod says:

Look, I know this may sound like heresy, but hear me out.

There is a constant in the inability of this team to perform. It’s not the veterans, they have been cleaned out. It’s not the coaches, they have been coming and going like patrons at a barber shop. It’s not the GM now, he’s new in the role too. It has to be somewhere in the Core.

It’s not Yak City, he doesn’t have enough clout yet, and it seems to me he wears his heart on his sleeve. But is Yak being influenced? It doesn’t seem to be Ebs or Nuge, they seem to be pretty good with things. Is it Hall?

Clearly Hall is the Oiler’s best individual player. Says the right things, seems to be well liked by his team mates. But there are a couple of little flags flying: Was it a word from Hall that got rid of Quinn? The fact that what would appear to us to be the most obvious leader is overlooked as Captain in favor of a (well qualified, more mature) New Boy. His falling out of favor with Lindsay Ruff.

I once managed a team whose performance went downhill. The prior team lead was exceptional, he had a fellow come up behind him who was clearly sharp, competent, and had the support of the team. But once he moved into the lead position, the performance of the team as a whole declined.

Things got worse and worse until finally the team was in a constant turmoil, but no one was doing a bad job in and of themselves. We finally fixed the problem by moving the fellow under a different manager, where he repeated his performance, was moved sideways and ultimately let go.

I am wondering if Taylor is so highly regarded for his skill that he has become a coach killer? Bear with me here, please read to the end. I am not saying we should trade him. What I am saying is that it will be interesting to see how the team plays with Hall off the scene for a short while.

If their performance drops off then that shows the team just lost their best player. But, what if their performance actually improves? We could say it is meaningless, that the team just stepped up to fill the gap, but it would also be a possible indicator of the team’s best payer perhaps being a factor in the coaching carousel.

If we consider the statements made by the coach and GM this year about every player needing to fall into line, and add these to the comments made by Pat Quinn that were overheard by one of this commenters on one of these earlier blogs, I’d say it is quite possible that the bigger problem MacT and ChickenHawk are dealing with, is the taming of Taylor Hall.

If that is the case, that’s a bloody big problem and all the best to them, and would warrant bringing in the Moose to help solve that problem.

Just sayin’

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:

Seinfeld, of course, was already here:

21. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Maybe these deals are typically for shotgun blast of prospects because that’s all one team is willing to give.. And maybe these deals are more rare because teams aren’t as willing to give up a sure bet for a bunch of maybes. Who knows. At any rate, I think the other guys point that the Oilers should do all they c an to land a high end D is valid. You could be waiting a lot longer for that deal if you’re just offering Marincins and such. But that would be more ideal the trade.

22. Zipdot says:

Lowetide: Diesel:
    It was more plausible than the Miller/Vanek rumors.

Huh. Weird.

23. Diesel says:

Lowetide: No, I just don’t want rampant rumors to originate from this blog. Appreciate the info, but don’t want to have it be wrong and then we’re accused of spreading rumors.

Understood.

24. Racki says:

Colonel Obvious:
    Willis reports that neither Eager nor Pitlick are at practice today with the Barons.Recall?

Re: pitlick, one would hope so. Re: Eager, one would hope not. Unless they want to give him one last shot to make an impression

25. Diesel says:

Zipdot: Huh.Weird.

I understand where LT is coming from.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Andropod,

27. Zipdot says:

Diesel: Just some Taylor Hall information that, although intriguing, is in reality extremely unreliable.
    I understand where LT is coming from.

Gotcha. The yearning for information about the injury is palpable, so I guess whatever you wrote could have spread like wildfire…. Alas, now I’m more intrigued than ever.

28. Zipdot says:

Racki: You’re right, and I can’t be certain but I think that’s the case even with forwards (ex Thornton deal). These types of deals don’t happen much because of the rarity of that kind of player as you note and teams wanting to cling to those guys. I’d be inclined to wonder though if you could break that typical rarity though by offering more than what you would call the norm.

I think it’s a fact; number one overalls don’t get traded very often at all. Top 10s rarely. Top 20s a bit more often but still kind of rare, I think.

29. LMHF#1 says:

Sure hope Joensuu’s back isn’t a long term issue. The one game where we saw him at 100% was a great example of what an effective big winger can do for a third scoring line.

30. denny33 says:

**********************************************************************

What if the Oilers return from the – Eastern – road trip with only the 1 win?’

With the exception of tomorrow’s game – that record will have been compiled with Taylor Hall.

The idea that we would make up ground in November / December – possibly without Taylor Hall – strikes me as very interesting. Especially since we will have to face some California teams.

With that in mind, I would urge anyone caution looking to trade our 1st round pick away.

Does not seem like a radical notion that this team is missing *several key* pieces yet and our time to – seriously – compete is still not at hand.

- Two more Centres
    - Two more puck moving D-man ( granted a couple might be already in house )
    - Perhaps a true Goalie
    - 3rd &4th line players ( granted some maybe in house )

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Racki,

Still not sure why we didn’t chase J-Bow. The price was thin. Iggy too (though I doubt he would have oked it).

32. justDOit says:

From oilers.nhl.com:

Oilers forward lines are:

Nail Yakupov- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins- Ales Hemsky

Ryan Jones- Mark Arcobello- David Perron

Denis Grebeshkov- Boyd Gordon- Sam Gagner

Eberle and Smyth sitting out practice, with Grebs and Gags filling in.

33. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Racki,

Jbo would have been great.. Although he was pretty pricey and at one point didn’t want to play here apparently. Not sure if that had changed though. What do you think about Phaneuf? Overpaid and overrated but that doesn’t mean bad.. He’s pending UFA. I guess same story as Jbo although two different types of players.

I should subject myself to more Leafs games to see for myself.

34. justDOit says:

Racki,

Whoa there, Racki – put down the PVR remote, grab another coffee, and then re-read your post.

35. Racki says:

justDOit:
    Racki,

Haha I figured that would draw some negativity :P

36. commonfan14 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I don’t think Taylor Hall was the end of Quinn, Renney and RK. I think Quinn, Renney and RK were.

Probably.

However, I can’t be the only person who saw the replay of Hall angrily saying “Why did we pull the f**king goalie?!!” in that one game and immediately thought about Renney “Well, I guess that’s it for him then.”

37. justDOit says:

Racki,

Nah – not negative, but… well, after seven years… we’ve all been there, man. Think of it more like a ‘one person intervention’, than just blatant negativity.

38. Yeti says:

I like the look of that Grebeshkov – Gordon – Gagner line. Sure hits my G-spot.

39. Gi JQE says:

Regarding the trades for high end players. How often does the team moving the best player win ??? Seems to me even down the road after the picks develope, it is rare ? Therefore, moving yak seems like a bad move.

Still banging the same drum. Target Daniel giardi either trade and sign, or sign this summer . Best option.

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Racki,

I’d take Phaneuf. But only for $$$ and at a mid-term, mid-$$ contract. I’m not giving Toronto a pile for an expiring contract and I’m not signing Phaneuf well into his 30s for a ton of cash.

JBo went for nothing:

and signed a good contract. I’d live with that for sure.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

commonfan14: Probably.

Yea… he was in the net trying to block the goal though at the end of the year which saw him way out of the playoffs, again.

I think you take his passion 9 times out of 10.

I don’t think it reflects so much that he’s a problem for coaches as he’s cares about winning and was what 20 at the time? I’m really, really, not worried about Hall in this regard.

42. Zipdot says:

Yeti:
    I like the look of that Grebeshkov – Gordon – Gagner line. Sure hits my G-spot.

G’s Up, Halls Down am I right!?

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

In case anyone missed it:

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    Both Eberle and Smyth are day-to-day and the #Oilers have recalled winger Tyler Pitlick from the AHL’s @OKCBarons.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Does anyone know why the Oil twitter feed is using a kind of pale purple for the Oiler crest?

45. Hammers says:

Hope McT is talking to Tallon . Florida has a couple of players we could use Versteeg & Campbell for 2 . What would it take . Florida wants kids but some money has to go the other way so Smid , Jones & Klefbom . Campbell becomes top “D” we would have .

46. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

47. Racki says:

Hammers:

Jim Matheson also mentions Mathias, who would be a good target too for C depth

48. bookje says:

Devan Dubnyk is now tied for last in both goals and points amongst goalies.

49. Racki says:

But what is his Corsi?

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Racki: Not sure but Oct is domestic violence awareness month. Purple ribbon associated with that. Maybe that’s why?

that’s a solid bet. I assumed some social awareness campaign of some kind…

bookje:
    Devan Dubnyk is now tied for last in both goals and points amongst goalies.

It’s the latter that is really concerning. As MacT said, “you have to at least marginally be a threat to score”

51. OilClog says:

Dubnyk never seems to hit the net, always high and wide.. Maybe it’s a shoulder issue

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Kulikov?

hard to know who deep a fire sale would go (and again, I’m not inclined to believe rumors right now), probably young studs are safe, but who knows?

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

OilClog:

broken finger?

54. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

With Hall out, it would seem the obvious time to slot in Omark. Defensive liabilities aside, he took a big personal risk to come over, drop into the AHL and get his next and probably last opportunity. I’m supposing he would be ABSOLUTELY motivated to show solid in a tryout on the big club. This is his shot and I think he’d be comfortable enough at the NHL given previous experience to carry the load both ways out of the gate. His future likely is not with the Oilers, but he has a big role to play in showcasing to be part of a trade package down the road. He is in a professional purgatory right now and how long before it agitates enough that he begins to long for Europe. If he flat lines on a multi-game NHL audition, get crack a lackin on moving him on. That’s an unnecessary contract in the mix. If shows well (see: Arcobell0), it becomes another nice trade chip. Now is the time if the need is there.

55. Hammers says:

Racki,

Point is Tallon needs to offload money and he has some pieces we could use.

56. Racki says:

Hammers:
    Racki,

Point is Tallon needs to offload money and he has some pieces we could use.

Ya for sure.. Just adding to the list is all.

test

58. borisnikov says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I believe it has something to do with the You Can Play campaign.

59. Rebilled says:

I don’t think it’s easy to forget that the Oilers haven’t dressed their 20 best men this season. Look at our record LT. Am I missing some sarcasm here?

Gags gets his jaw broken preseason from a Vancouver player. Big surprise? Nuge definitely wasn’t in the line-up. He would have been, if the Org addressed his injury last season IMO. This team rarely is healthy and we’re all usually praying for mercy from the Injury Gods. Hemsky, Hall, and Nuge. Take your pick and then add Goensuu and Gags. Take your bets on who slips on a poutine going to the next game.

60. Rebilled says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Eberle and Dubnyk day to day? Wow.

61. bookje says:

godot10:
    test

Fail

62. HugThePost says:

It will be interesting to see how they play now with this latest setback. OTT did not have their Norris trophy defenceman last year and found a way to make the playoffs, so it can be done. All the good teams seem to find a way to keep going when their stars get hurt—I guess it is called depth.

It sure does seem that EDM cannot shake this black cloud that follows them everywhere–just when there is a hint of light, they are hit again with more negative news.

63. Rebilled says:

*Smyth, I am going nuts.

64. Melman says:

Has there been any details on Joensuu’s return? He would certainly cushion the loss of Hall.

Although you could tell he was hurting in TO – I loved the play when he pushed neon dionne to the ice. We need him and 1 more like him in our top 9.

65. Numenius says:

Diesel:

It was more plausible than the Miller/Vanek rumors.

Diesel, I read your rumour before it was removed and it can’t possibly be right.

Hall hasn’t even had his MRI yet, according to the official Oiler’s twitter.

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers 1h
    No update from Coach Eakins on Taylor Hall (left knee). MRI will be done in Edmonton either later today or tomorrow.

That was tweeted around 10:49am Alberta time.

66. RMGS says:

It’s tough to admit, but Hall out for even three weeks could be the end of any playoff hopes. That’s 10 games. With a better start, the team may have managed to hold the fort, but I can’t imagine that losing its best player – arguably the best LW in the league – for 10 games when trying to catch up equals anything but disaster.

And, if he’s out longer, I don’t think MacT can win a trade, so Omark would get the chance of his life (this also does not bode well for the team’s playoffs goal).

PS: Had a great time at the Canadian Tire Centre (aka, “The Wheelhouse”) watching the team scrape out a win. It’s a long haul from Hull to Kanata, but it’s nothing for which a few $10 beers, rowdy Oilers fans, and a victory can’t compensate.

67. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gregor back at it again. He’s to Yakupov as Matty is to Hemsky.

I guess everyone needs a hobby horse.

68. Andropod says:

I will not be surprised if the team handles Hall’s absence perfectly well, the reason being more of a team dynamic and less dependence on heroes.

69. spoiler says:

From Matheson’s weekend Hockey World, a couple of bits of note with respect to the Oilers chasing players:

If the Florida Panthers are moving veterans to cut payroll, and they consider Shawn Matthias a veteran of sorts, the Edmonton Oilers might be all over that. They’ve tried to get the six-foot-four, 220-pound centre before and were rebuffed.

The Oilers went hard after free-agent winger Matt Cooke last summer, but he opted to sign in Minnesota (maybe they thought $2.5 million as a cap hit over three years was too high for a 35-year-old). They also wanted feisty Matt Hendricks and Eric Nystrom, who signed with the Predators.

70. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Gregor back at it again. He’s to Yakupov as Matty is to Hemsky.

I guess everyone needs a hobby horse.

71. spoiler says:

Some other news of note from Matty:

Tepid grade for Viktor Stalberg in the early going for the Nashville Predators after they went all-in and gave the third/fourth-line Chicago Blackhawks winger $12 million over four years. He’s playing an average of just 10:46 a game after a poor camp and a shoulder injury. Stalberg was useful on the Cup-winning ‘Hawks, but maybe they hid his blemishes.</i.

I was one of a minority on Stalberg as this was a player I and a few others did not want to chase last off-season… and now I am even happier the Oil didn't do so.

It’s looking more and more like defenceman Adam Larsson doesn’t fit as a regular with the Devils. He can’t get a foothold there. He was the fourth player taken in the 2011 draft. “They’ve turned him into more of defensive (shutdown) guy. I remember him in Sweden being a nice first passer, having some offence, an efficient player,” said one NHL pro scout.

Hmm, that is very interesting. Wonder what he would cost. The Devils would have suffered through most of his growing pains…

Ty Rimmer, who earned an ECHL/AHL contract as a walk-on goalie at Oilers camp, was loaned to the Quad City Mallards (Central Hockey League) under ex-NHL/WHA centre Terry Ruskowski.

Don’t know if this loan is good or bad for Rimmer.

72. spoiler says:

Racki: I think people see it about being anti-yak, but it isn’t. His point is to fill a need from a place the Oilers have an abundance. You can question if it would really be possible to make a trade like that though for sure (or if it is necessary given the trades you dug up where less was given, but again I think that just contributes to the rarity).. But the Oilers really could use a #1D more than they need four very talented forwards. Th Oilers should be wheeling and dealing with anyone that has that type of player and find some way to make it work. They may or may not be able to do it without losing a Yakupov type, but if they did do it, it would be worth it to lose Yakupov type.

I would do Yak for OEL in a tweaker’s eyeblink.

73. spoiler says:

Apparently Roman Hamrlik retired from professional hockey last night.

74. spoiler says:

Lots of OIler-related tidbits from Friedge’s 30 Thoughts this week:

And also this nugget on ELC’s:

While playing 10 NHL games burns the first year of an entry-level contract, a player does not gain credit towards arbitration or free agency until the 40th game.

I did not know that.

75. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Racki,

I see it his way as well Racki. Its not about Yak (even though Gregor is a little more pointed). Its about adjusting your mix to assemble the team that is a top flight contender and the most coveted pieces are in that assortment of tradeables. Yak may be popping up on the discussion front because of his current struggles, but any of the young forwards need to be considered depending on what is coming across. My preference is for Eberle or Yak but I’m not dug in on that and I don’t have tomorrow in mind for forcing a trade. But in the next 24 months, for sure.

We are going to have to horse trade to get to the pinnacle. I think it highly unlikely we just drafted the right mix and the needs change over time. The good thing is that this type of talk is a step beyond asset accumulation via draft – which is all about rebuild – versus contender assembly. We are definitely progressing.

76. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Oilers answered your question Re purple. Hockey Fights Cancer. My thoughts initially were it was for breastfeeding cancer, but that’s pink. So there Ya go.. Hockey fights Cancer = “lavender”

77. Racki says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic,

Ya I think the timing of Yak playing poor and trade rumors is coincidental. Like you said, any could be traded, but the other three have already carved their niche in my opinion, so it’s easier to name yak. But it is nothing against him.

78. TheGreatMutato says:

spoiler:
    Apparently Roman Hamrlik retired from professional hockey last night.

My fondest memory of Roman Hamrlik is having his ‘rookie’ card as a kid and thinking that “one day, this person is going to be awesome and this will be worth GRETZKY money.”

Oh to be young again.

79. art vandelay says:

The Oilers need to figure out the ribbon color for Hockey Fights Crapitude.