HOW’S THE WORLD TREATING YOU?

If we can believe Bob McKenzie (and we can) Craig MacTavish is in the market for something that would make a “dramatic difference” on the Oilers blueline. Who could that be?

Azorcan3

If we’re talking about a dramatic difference we’re likely dealing in a fairly complete skill set, a horse who can play 28-30 minutes a night when needed. The Oilers have been mentioned in the same breath as Phaneuf in the last few months and it makes sense in that Phaneuf’s skills allow him to play in all three disciplines.

I’ve talked about Phaneuf in the past, notably here and here. I don’t think the Oilers deal with Toronto, but a bold move would be Phaneuf, not the youngster Gardiner (who I like a lot). And it sure as hell doesn’t involve Nail Yakupov as the return.

It’s interesting to see who coach Eakins is running a lot so far this season.

smid common

EV MINUTES DURING WINNIPEG GAME

1. Petry 21:53
  2. J Schultz 18:37
  3. Smid 16:29
  4. Ference 16:15
  5. Belov 12:43
  6. N Schultz 10:04

The main PK men were N Schultz (3:37), Ference (3:29),Petry (2:39), Smid (2:12). PP minutes went to Schultz the younger and Belov. The EV minutes are about what we might have expected leaving the station, with a clear top 4D and then the new NHLer Belov plus Schultz the elder rounding out the group.

EV MINUTES DURING THE VANCOUVER GAME

1. J Schultz 18:27
  2. Ference 16:56
  3. Petry 15:37
  4. N Schultz 13:30
  5. Smid 12:27
  6. Belov 12:10

Petry played 6:12 SH, Smid 6:04,  Ference 4:40, N Schultz 3:34, and once again J Schultz and Belov were the PP men. This looks pretty much the same as game one, Smid and Petry are off their minutes but there’s a massive spike in SH minutes for them in this particular game.

EV MINUTES DURING THE NJ GAME

1. J Schultz 22:38
  2. Ference 19:25
  3. Belov 18:42
  4. Petry 18:10
  5. Smid 13:48
  6. N Schultz 12:33

Petry and Smid (2:52), Ference (2:28) and N Schultz (2:27) are once again the PK men, with Jultz and Belov on the PP. There’s one tweak here in this game, and that’s Smid moving down the EV minutes list. His PK total is identical to Petry, and yet Smid played over 4 minutes less than Dan Petry’s boy.

It’s way too soon to read much into this, but I’d say the Ference-Schultz tandem is looking more like the #1 pairing in the two most recent games. If the Oilers are going to make a trade with Toronto involving a defenseman, I don’t think Ference or Justin Schultz are involved, and Petry would appear to be a relied upon defender thus far. The Belov-Smid minutes exchange is curious, but probably comes with a reasonable explanation for why Petry played his final four shifts with Belov while Smid sat.  Smid may have blown a shoe, or spit the bit but it’s something to watch over the next little while.

Note: I do not hate Smid, just making a bloody observation. Jackals.

I’ve talked to a few Oklahoma City folks since the weekend games that opened the 2013-14 season for the Barons, and it looks like the forwards who made an impact were (drumroll, please) Tyler Pitlick and Ryan Martindale. Each had a goal and both are playing regular minutes. None of the rookies made a massive impact (new AHL players this season include Oscar Klefbom, Martin Gernat, David Musil, Travis Ewanyk, Andrew Miller, Nicolas Tremblay and Kale Kessy) but our blogger network (Tend the Farm, Artful Puck) is watching closely and we’ll have updates as the season rolls on (plus making both blogs a daily visit is a great idea).

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

undertheskin

Game day tomorrow, so we ready ourselves with lots of talk from the wild world of sports. Scheduled to appear on TSN 1260 beginning at 10 this morning:

• Michael Parkatti from Boys on the Bus: We’ll talk about the early season numbers and what they tell us about the team and coach Dallas Eakins.
  • Jason McKee head coach and GM of the Spruce Grove Saints. We’ll talk about the Saints and the AJHL as an option for players (university options, etc).
  • Andrew Bucholtz from 55 yard line. CFL weekend on the way, plus the trade deadline is later today. A deal early this week points out the extreme importance of Canadian linemen.
  • Corey Graham the voice of the Edmonton Oil Kings. We’ll talk about the impressive start by Mitchell Moroz and the early season struggles of the club.
  • Paul Almeida from Azorcan Global. We’ll talk about the World Juniors and soccer tours.

10-1260 via text and @Lowetide_ on twitter.

110 Responses to "HOW’S THE WORLD TREATING YOU?"

1. dawgtoy says:

The Smid usage is interesting indeed. That will be interesting to keep an eye on. I’ll be keeping an eye on Belov TOI as well. I will check in and read the comments later, but I’m sure the Justin Schultz haters will be out in force.

2. Fixall with Rexall says:

I’m confused and scared.

3. Aitch says:

I wonder if you’re not reading too much into Smid’s ice-time last game. Given that both him and Ference had a maintenance day on Sunday, and they brought up Davidson in case someone couldn’t go, is it possible that Eakins turned to Belov rather than Smid more on Monday night due to a nagging problem on Smid’s part?

(At the same time, I agree that he is the best asset to use in an attempt to improve the D overall given his contract and age.)

4. cc says:

LT,

I am thinking the lack of minutes for Smid were due to the Oilers playing from behind versus in G1 we had the lead through most of the game. But it would be interesting to watch Smid’s minutes throughout the year.

CC

5. Truth says:

I’m thinking maybe Holmgren and MacT revisit the Coburn talk with the Flyers recent shakeup. I know it’s no Weber, and thankfully no Phaneuf, but Coburn is definitely an upgrade for the starting 6 D. I don’t know what it would take though. Obviously the Flyers wanted too much at the draft.

6. GATO BANDIDO says:

Why not trade a couple of centers for an upgrade on defense – we have so much depth there we can spare a few.

This smells like the same kind of knee-jerk reaction that brought us Steve MacIntyre. Let the D sort itself out for a few more games. Let Dubnyk put in a couple of good performances. Spending significant assets on a top-pair defenseman right now isn’t necessary.

7. mumbai max says:

Ok. Bold move. #1 D. Lets for a moment say Eberle, a pick and a high end prospect were involved. Depending on the grade of pick and prospect that is a major load of value. Who has a #1 D that they would part with for that package. Add a further filter, under 28. Weber (covering my head for onslaught of ridicule). Petriangelo (just signed). Subban ( seems unlikely although maybe). Pheneuf, yuck. Mike Green, unidimensional. Ryan Mcdonagh….the NYR dont really need scoring forwards.

Who else is there. Is it really possible to make another Pronger trade. Anyone have ideas?

P.S. I think the arrival of Perron and the re-emergence of Hemsky allow Eberle to be moved for a true D game changer.

As I’d mentioned, way too early to read anything into anything. But fun to observe!

9. goldenchild says:

I personally am hoping that a bold move does not include pieces playing important roles on the blue ie Scultz jr, Petry Smid heading out but rather its time that a prospect or two from that deep crowd in OKC, Marincin, Gernat or even Klefbom, are used. Basically anyone but Nurse that makes this team better for the next 2-3 years Im good with.

10. Pajamah says:

LT, why do you lie about hating Smid so much?

On a serious note, who does Mac-T move for that elusive minute muncher?
    And who should they target?

I’d love Weber, but with Jones there, there is no way they move him.
    What about a Seabrook from Chicago?

11. oilabroad says:

Eberle and J Shultz for Subban and Galchenyuk…

12. Bar_Qu says:

dawgtoy:

I haven’t read any JSchultz hate here, or are you referring to other places?

I did make the comment that he might not fit under the cap going forward, especially since negotiations can start in January for the next contract. Who knows if the cap will really be big enough for what he will likely get from the Oilers?

Still, I think the current chaos in his game is as reflective of the transitional nature of the new system which is causing a lot of issues for the whole team, and not a permanent feature of his personal play. Big brain, good wheels, great O instincts. The kid will do just fine.

Which is why he will earn a big second contract, despite my desire to see him signed to something like Petry is currently making.

13. mumbai max says:

oilabroad:
    Eberle and J Shultz for Subban and Galchenyuk…

Not sure why they do that trade. We could throw in Schremp and Omark. :-)

14. Zipdot says:

For the same reason that it’s too early for us to read into anything, I think it’s too early for MacT to do anything. We need some Tambo here. We need to evaluate and assess.

Stop mixing things up for five g*****n games and let the defense gell.

And I swear, I’m putting everyone who says a bad word about Justin Schultz, who is a g*****n angel from heaven, on a list. I’m putting you on a list and I’m going to hold you accountable later for your scummy words.

15. Racki says:

If we are talking about a true #1D, any of the Oilers AHL D are on the table (including Klefbom) , plus the first rounder. At the nhl level, I wouldn’t give up the young forwards or Justin Schultz, but just about anyone else would be available. Nurse not on the table. Might not get it done without those guys but who knows. It’s happened before where a big name goes for “potential”.

IMHO, the need for a big calming presence on blue line is not new. No need to evaluate.

16. oilabroad says:

mumbai max,

jeez, Ithought it might get bashed for being too much… must be a good proposal lol

17. Zipdot says:

GATO BANDIDO: This smells like the same kind of knee-jerk reaction that brought us Steve MacIntyre.

Bingo!

18. Zipdot says:

Pajamah: I’d love Weber, but with Jones there, there is no way they move him.
    What about a Seabrook from Chicago?

Yeah, sure! Seabrook! Why the hell not? Seabrook and Chara would make a great #2 pairing on the Oilers! And maybe we should target Stamkos to help us with our center depth. I like it!!!! I really think you’re on to something!!!!!!

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Tyutin please!

I think on this stud D idea, we need to be open to the idea that MacT has been on the look out since he took the job. The first 3 games may have adding a smig of urgency on that point, but the Coburn move seems to suggest he’s wanted a Stud for a while.

FWIW, I like Coburn, but I’d prefer Tyutin or someone else a little higher up the food chain.

———
    I think N. Schultz is the obvious target to trade… and then they keep making him a captain. Maybe that doesn’t affect things, maybe Eakins just wanted to give the vet a nod to keep him interested for a few months… (btw… has anyone else noted there has been no publicity involving N. Schultz this year? last year Oil Change spent a day following him around, he was interviewed before/after games, etc… this year… crickets)

But Smid is an interesting option. He’s a solid trade target. Hard-nosing the highway kind of player, successful if put in the right situation. His contract is friendly and easy to move. Any team can pretty much pick him up, insert in lineup and trade again without losing a step.

That said, I love Smid. Love him. Hate to see him traded. I’ll probably cry.

On the NJ game: he was apparently nursing something; we were down huge so Eakins opted for Belov; and Eakins is probably also trying to see what he has in Belov still… maybe down 3-0 he figures, why not? and goes for an extended tour of the player.

Also, the Belov-Petry pairing suggests Eakins is comfortable playing D on their off-sides (and in Belov’s case off-off-side). something to watch in light of Oates’ ideas.

———
    Despite Mact’s apparent urgency here… we shouldn’t be surprised if we have to wait until the deadline or even the Summer to see the other shoe drop here… I wouldn’t be surprised if a year from now we find our that the trade for x has been in the works for a long, long time.

——–
    Great news about Pitlick and Martindale (the latter a real surprise here). I think it takes longer for D to show up good/bad… such a workmanlike position.

20. TheOtherJohn says:

Since we are going for the D by committee could we trade for a 28 yr old Scott Niedemeyer, like him but he’s clearly not worthy of Hall, Nuge, Yak, Eberle, GGner JSchu, Petry or DD. How about Musil, Martindale and a 3rd. Don’t really know this fellow running the NJD but I am quite sure a trio of Oiler top prospects will pique his interest.

Yes, I was engaging in a wee bit of over valuing our assets!

Phanuef is intriguing in that he’s paid a lot. Will want a lot and may have priced himself out of Toronto. Is Phanuef a clear upgrade on Petry (who will want $3.5-4m next year)? Would Petry & a prospect be enough to get an upgrade in Phanuef.I would move a lucrative package centred on Eberle to PHX to get OEL because he can play all situation minutes very well

21. bookje says:

I agree, I think upgrading the D with a really good #1 has been one of MacTs priories since day 1. It’s not new.

22. Racki says:

@romulus…

Petry is a right shot and Belov a left shot… Should make sense they could pair up or am I missing something?

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Racki:
    @romulus…

So, if he’s with Petry, either he plays left (his “natural” position, though not to him) or Petry plays off-side.

It’s nothing to get too excited about, but something to keep an eye on.

24. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I know, but Belov prefers the right side, and that’s where he’s played since being here (excepting with Petry)… hence: “in Belov’s case off-off-side”

It’s nothing to get too excited about, but something to keep an eye on.

Ah that’s what I thought you meant, but want aware that Belov preferred the right side. Crazy Ivan!

25. Racki says:

In my opinion the Oilers shouldn’t be looking for someone else’s project, even if they project well… So that eliminates Gardiner for me.

26. Jesse says:

LT, I was wondering if you could maybe ask Michael Parkatti to clarify some things re: Corsi and Fenwick (or, if not, maybe one of the big brains that comment on this blog):

1. I understand that Fenwick is Corsi minus blocked shots, but is one superior to the other, and if so, why do we use both? I often see FenClose% and FenTied% much more often than CorsiClose% or CorsiTied% (not sure if I’ve ever seen the latter two used with much regularity), and if FenClose is meant to weed out all of the score effect noise and give us the most accurate depiction of a team’s possession play, then why not just use Fenwick exclusively?

2. *Why* is Fenwick even used in the first place? I’ve heard “so as not to punish a team for blocking shots”, but this seems irrelevant when talking about possession. Even if you block a shot, you still are only doing so when you lack possession. Therefore it seems as though Corsi would give a more accurate reading of possession than Fenwick.

And I also have a question that is in a similar vein, but regarding save percentage:

If EV Sv% is a more accurate indicator than regular Sv%, why not exclusively use EV Sv%?

Just a few questions boiling around in my head over the past while. If anyone has any insight to share it would be much appreciated.

27. LMHF#1 says:

I find myself wondering what a package involving Petry and a first or Petry and a substantial prospect would get you. It isn’t that he’s bad – but I do see his perceived value and ceiling being higher than they should be. Nothing wrong with taking advantage of that perception to upgrade.

28. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Staples is leery of a D addition:

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Racki: I think we should be leary about adding another 2nd pairing type. IMHO a trade should only happen if it’s a top guy coming back. Otherwise the Oilers are just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. Is it likely they get a top d man? No, but doesn’t mean you don’t try

Agreed. I think Staples is simply pushing back against the narrative that the house is on fire. You are more likely to make stupid decisions, like throw stuff against the wall, in those situations.

30. Ribs says:

It’s way too soon to read much into this…

Well, Smid has taken a “maintenance” day lately and they called up Davidson. That might be something to read into.

Did we ever learn what was on the table at the draft for Coburn? The Flyers are in early panic mode, so I can see that being revisted.

31. nez29 says:

Don’t want Phaneuf. Too much baggage. Not a great leader. Then, there’s the whole “local boy with huge expectations” syndrome. Plus, is he all that good at this point? On the other hand, the one member of the core four who could be moved is Eberle. However, there would hafta be A HUGE RETURN for a one-shot scorer like Eberle, but who? Weber? I’d do that, with some other shuffling, like trading the over-rated N. Schultz somewhere…

32. gd says:

I just don’t see how they can get a top dman (unless they can somehow get Weber for Eberle). If the guy is not an obvious improvement on Petry, I don’t think any trade makes sense. I don’t think Myers or Coburn are an obvious improvement on Petry and JSchultz is pretty much the same dman as Gardiner. Guys like Gudbransson and Larsson are just higher grade versions of the magic beans we have in Klefbom and Nurse, so I don’t think they help enough for this year.

My hope is they see what they have for the first 40 games, hoping Belov settles in and Dubnyk reverts to his last two years play. If they are out of it, than they are better off with the top 10 pick. If they are in reasonable contention, then they look at getting a dman from one of the out of contention teams. Kulikov is the one guy to keep an eye on, as he seems frustrated in Florida.

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LT… what the hell with Connor and the opening music today?

yikes!

34. Colonel Obvious says:

It all starts with an appraisal of what you have. In my opinion:

Petry has been our best overall defenseman. He jumps into the rush, is solid defensively and makes good outlet passes. He isn’t great at any of these thing but he is above average at all of them. He’s our best guy right now and shouldn’t be traded.

Smid is Smid. He’s solid on D, decent on the breakout, brings nothing on offense. He’s our second best guy. We shouldn’t expect Coburn to be better than Smid.

Ference is a quality NHL player but he’s nowhere near a star. He brings more offense than Smid but he also has been on the wrong side of the puck more than a few times. I’d rank him as the third best guy.

J Schultz has one all-world talent. He is great at joining the rush. However, his outlet passes look average or worse to me, and he is below average defensively. This isn’t simply a case of offense vs. defense since he loses a lot of offense by being poor on the breakout pass. This team needs him to become as good as Petry.

Belov is stiff and slow. He is, however, quite good at keeping the puck in the offensive zone and it looks to me like he’s a good passer. You could do worse.

N. Schultz is a nonentity at best, a bad player, at worse. This is the guy that needs to go.

Add it all up and there is no quick and easy solution. There is no “Pronger” guy out there. Adding Coburn while losing Petry is subtraction by addition. For this season we are committed to the committee approach and we need J. Schultz to blossom. If he does everything is fine. If he doesn’t all of the plausible trades sound like bad ideas to me.

If I could trade N. Schultz I would. Call up Larsen and play him with Belov.

I’d take Coburn but not at the price of Petry or Gagner and if you don’t trade them how do you get Coburn.

I’d trade for Gardiner. So what if we already have him in J. Schultz? The problem is that the Leafs need forwards on low cap deals and we don’t have any of those. It’s not like the Leafs will trade Gardiner for Arcobello.

Phaneuf is in the last year of his contract. I would trade a second round pick for him later in the year as a rental, maybe. Regardless of your evaluation of his talent there is no way to get him under the cap. Trading actual assets for rental players is a fools gambit.
    So there are no deals out there that help the team. MacT needs to learn from the Hemsky experience. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don’t make. This team needs to let it ride.

35. Kitchener says:

Interesting about the D, yes… but what’s really interesting is the announcement of this season’s officlal anthem singer: ROBERT CLARK. The guy in the yellow suit.

I know Rob from “a stint in the minors” years ago at the UofA. LT, if you’re looking for a great story of an Alberta boy who worked his way up through the system to succeed the great Paul Lorieau, here’s your chance.

Rob is a great guy too. Fantastic news. I can’t imagine a better guy to sing the anthems for the next 30 years.

Awesome.

36. GriffCity says:

Come on guys you cant be serious. Sure i agree that we could use a stud defenceman to bolster the back end but at what cost? You guys are throwing around Eberle’s name? REALLY? I thought this was a serious thread. Sure if you can get Weber, or Chara or a true stud d-man it might be logical but we’re tossing out names like Gardiner? Coburn? Phaneuf? Get real.

Of the lot, I would prefer Gardiner but not at a steep cost like that. Plus he is very much unproven still in the NHL. Coburn? No chance, the guy has accomplished nothing and is not what you are looking for in a #1 d-man at all. Phaneuf? Well, he does show glimpses where you notice some skill, like one timers from the point or the odd bone crushing hit but may I remind you that in the last full nhl season he was voted -by the players, as the most overrated player in the league. The most overrated! We would seriously consider giving up Eberle, Taylor Halls roommate, best bud, guy with the best hands on the team for that?? Please give your head a shake

That said, I would obviously like a strong 1 or 2 d-man to help out, its clear they need some. Of course N.Schultz is who everyone would like to trade but don’t expect anything back. In fact, aside from J.Schultz and I guess Belov, trade whoever you want on defence

Lets keep in mind as well that we have 1.5 million dollar d-man, Denis “garbagecoughupthepuck” Grebishkov waiting to make his debut, Corey “Harry” Potter also in the wings and a plethora of d-men in our system from Klefbom to Fedun to Nurse – Who im hoping plays next season. So why then would you trade one of your best forwards for a defenceman of those players stature? Its crazy

Plus, despite Dubnyk and Barbie the team is still 1-2-0 and should be 2-1-0 and we’ve only played 3 bloody games. Anyone who thinks as of now that trading Jordan Eberle is a good play is just out to lunch.

37. Jesse says:

Thanks for reading my question LT. Much appreciated. :)

38. Hammers says:

It’s nothing to get too excited about, but something to keep an eye on.

Actually Belov played L.side in the K but plays both sides equally. I said just last night the most we get for N.Schultz is a 2nd rd pick at deadline so the one needing to go is Smid . My examples where Smid & Fedun for Coburn @ Philly or Smid ( +2 AHL or 1 & draft pick ) for Tyutin or his level .I’m expecting to see Belov with Petry vs Montreal . I really like Smid but for this year we are still short a higher caliber “D” .

39. Mr DeBakey says:

Hammers: My examples where Smid & Fedun for Coburn @ Philly

I’ve been seeing variations on this since last spring.
    How does this make the Oilers stronger?
    I don’t see how Coburn is better than Smid, never mind Fedun better

40. TheOtherJohn says:

Colonel Obvious:
    It all starts with an appraisal of what you have.In my opinion:

Petry has been our best overall defenseman.He jumps into the rush, is solid defensively and makes good outlet passes.He isn’t great at any of these thing but he is above average at all of them.He’s our best guy right now and shouldn’t be traded.

Smid is Smid.He’s solid on D, decent on the breakout, brings nothing on offense.He’s our second best guy.We shouldn’t expect Coburn to be better than Smid.

Ference is a quality NHL player but he’s nowhere near a star.He brings more offense than Smid but he also has been on the wrong side of the puck more than a few times.I’d rank him as the third best guy.

J Schultz has one all-world talent.He is great at joining the rush.However, his outlet passes look average or worse to me, and he is below average defensively.This isn’t simply a case of offense vs. defense since he loses a lot of offense by being poor on the breakout pass.This team needs him to become as good as Petry.

Belov is stiff and slow.He is, however, quite good at keeping the puck in the offensive zone and it looks to me like he’s a good passer.You could do worse.

N. Schultz is a nonentity at best, a bad player, at worse.This is the guy that needs to go.

Add it all up and there is no quick and easy solution.There is no “Pronger” guy out there.Adding Coburn while losing Petry is subtraction by addition.For this season we are committed to the committee approach and we need J. Schultz to blossom.If he does everything is fine.If he doesn’t all of the plausible trades sound like bad ideas to me.

If I could trade N. Schultz I would.Call up Larsen and play him with Belov.

I’d trade for Gardiner.So what if we already have him in J. Schultz?The problem is that the Leafs need forwards on low cap deals and we don’t have any of those.It’s not like the Leafs will trade Gardiner for Arcobello.

Phaneuf is in the last year of his contract.I would trade a second round pick for him later in the year as a rental, maybe.Regardless of your evaluation of his talent there is no way to get him under the cap.Trading actual assets for rental players is a fools gambit.
    So there are no deals out there that help the team.MacT needs to learn from the Hemsky experience.Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don’t make.This team needs to let it ride.

Agree with just about all of this. Think Oiler fans have to understand that if we want to make a “big move”, we will have to move a big time player, well unless someone takes Martindale, Musil and a 3rd for a top pairing guy….was Tambellini signed to GM somewhere in the NHL this week?

41. hoser313 says:

The house is not “on fire”. I hope MacT doesn’t run out and do something stupid. The team doesn’t need another mid-level defenseman (Coburn, etc.).

Arguably Jultz is a younger version of Phaneuf (spectacular offense, still some work to do on defence). So therefore Oilers already have a Phaneuf.

If you look at Staples post, you’ll see that Nultz has made less mistakes per 15 minutes on scoring chances than any other Oiler defenseman. His hands aren’t great but I would still want a guy like this for the third pairing and for penalty kill. In my view, the prospects (Marincin, Klefbom, etc.) are still quite a ways behind Nultz so Nultz should stay until the end of the season.

The Oilers already have their own potential stud Ds (Petry, Nurse). Why then would we trade for someone else’s project (Gardiner)?

42. Gerta Rauss says:

I don’t see Coburn as an ugrade on Smid-just a higher cap hit.

I think the Coburn talk died at the draft, and after we signed Ference it is no longer is an option at all.

I’ve made my thoughts know then last 48 hours(Gardiner)-I’ll stick with that for now.

And no way am I trading any of the wonder kids for anybody-no way. I’m only mentioning Gardiner because he (appears) to be available and may be had for 90 cents on the dollar. If there isn’t a good deal out there I’m fine running with what we’ve got until the deadline(at which point we’l get our 2nd round pick for Nultz)

43. denny33 says:

Great post LT…..very interesting distribution of minutes to our D-men.

I am shocked to see J. Schultz take such a strong lead ….shocked.

J. Schutz behind his own blue line -is disaster waiting to happen and this is nearly universal from the numbers guys to the ‘by eye’ guys. Nearly all come together when it comes to his play in his own end…

As others have pointed out, I guess we have been behind and Eakins was looking for offence…and maybe Smid is nursing a minor / nagging injury..

44. denny33 says:

GriffCity,

Then put forth what you think Mac T is up to….”dramatic difference”…..

45. rickithebear says:

Defencemen prevent shots. and hopefully GA.

J. schultz 3.47 GA/60 (4th worst0 3rd comp

Smid 2.26ga/60 19th hardest comp on the 7th best tough comp even pair in the game.

Couburn 3.25GA/60 (7th worst ) 3rd comp.

Smid + fedun for Couburn

Jesus!

Oh lets do a forwrd version. of
    top 25 + prospect for 7th worst.

Hall 3.42 Gf/60 (23rd best)
    tanner glass .86 gf/60 8th worst

Hall + khaira for Tanner Glass
    is the Gf equivalent.

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hammers: Actually Belov played L.side in the K but plays both sides equally. I said just last night the most we get for N.Schultz is a 2nd rd pick at deadline so the one needing to go is Smid . My examples where Smid & Fedun for Coburn @ Philly or Smid ( +2 AHL or 1 & draft pick )for Tyutin or his level .I’m expecting to see Belov with Petry vs Montreal . I really like Smid butfor this year we are still short a higher caliber “D” .

I think you are taking for granted that a team wants a player coming back and that we are talking about a single transaction.

47. Zipdot says:

I’ve got to avoid these stupid trade threads, they mess with my sanity.

1. There isn’t a single new conversation in this thread that hasn’t been had a million times before in the past 5 years. Including this comment.
    2. Why bother trade masturbating? It’s a waste of time. You’re not the GM. “What do you think about x for y??” Well, I think it’s STUPID! Happy?
    3. DARNELL NURSE

48. FastOil says:

Fixall with Rexall:
    I’m confused and scared.

I’m dazed and confused.

49. hunter1909 says:

Not interested in rumours. Every time the tards running this show make any kind of announcement viz acquiring ANYONE, they get laughed at.

Way to go young guns – you shut Eakins up but good.

Only a moron or a madman can screw up the talent this team currently boasts.

PS: Lots of fun watching everyone including myself melt during the 0-2 start, plus first 2 periods of the NJ game. Now we can all relax and enjoy the team as they fly up the standings.

50. GriffCity says:

denny33,

I think MacT is looking for a goalie, if that isnt obvious enough. Humongous big universe man Bryzgalov is not the answer but maybe Ryan Miller is. I don’t love Miller and I don’t think he will ever be who he was 4-5 years ago but I would actually like having him and Dubnyk as a 1a and 1b kind of pairing like many other nhl clubs have these days.

Aside from that I don’t see a big move on the back end happening unless its some kinda wool over the eyes steal.

While we are at it though, I could fathom say Bernier and Gardiner for an Eberle type player off the Oilers but again, Toronto is probably not going to do something like that.

51. Jonathan Willis says:

Pitlick, certainly. Martindale, not so much (at least in my view).

Martindale wasn’t good in the first game, and looked out of his depth as the team’s top centre in the second game (if the standard fr comparison is Anton Lander’s game one on the same line, Martindale was a ways back). Martindale is definitely getting an opportunity, but the best player on that line has probably been Derek Nesbitt so far.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jonathan Willis:
    Pitlick, certainly. Martindale, not so much (at least in my view).

Well that’s disappointing… but now that I think of it, LT probably just saw that you named Martindale as a “player of note” and it slipped by him that you weren’t praising him.

53. Logan91 says:

LT opened Pandoras box with this one.

This is gonna be like ON all over again when everyone actually thought the Oil were going to trade for Weber.

54. hunter1909 says:

GriffCity: for an Eberle type player

With respect ‘Eberle type’ players number under a handful in the world at any given moment.

If/when oilers are dolts enough to trade away any of the following: Hall/RNH/Yakupov/Eberle/Justin Schultz you can bring up these names any time you like. But until they trade them, please take your wack sensibilities back to HF where they belong.

55. Diesel says:

The inner workings of all hockey blog commentators are truly revealed when trade speculation is discussed.

It’s like knowing someone for years and then finally discussing Religion or Politics.

On another note…

Gagner has his eye on an October 22 return vs. Montreal.

56. denny33 says:

TheOtherJohn,

I agree with everything you said and what CO said….great overview of what I believe we have on D as well….

1. This mix of players (not just the first 3 games, although those 3 games count in my eyes) suggests the same *type* of team as last year ( nothing definitive of course ) Not sure of this teams ability to generate offence 5 on 5. ( conceding it is still early and they have improved from last year – hello outside additions )

2. Mac T ( like BookeJ said ) has made it very clear he plans on making some bold moves. And while I too actually kind of bristle at the mention of this…I think something needs to be done.

4. Nick Schultz was traded for Tom Gilbert. Gilbert barely found work this year and is making
    $900, 000….Nobody wants N Schultz and his 3.5 million dollar contract – Especially this year!

I am a little nervous because I think Mac T was set to massively overpay for Clarkson and I think he was set to possibly overpay for Schneider as well.

If he does covet a *true* # 1 pairing guy – we are going to HAVE to throw out names like Eberle and Yak…and just the thought of that makes me ill. So Mac T had better get the return right and I struggle to see what kind of #1 guy would even be – remotely – available.

57. hunter1909 says:

denny33: we are going to HAVE to throw out names like Eberle and Yak…

I give up.

58. rickithebear says:

fedor tyutin is 3 ga a season better than smid facing lesser competition.
    Smid hits and blocks more
    Smid is 6 goals per season better on the PK.

so we are to trade for a less physical Dman who is equal @ even
    and will make us worse by Goal differential.

Do some work people when talking these trades
    2.33 GA even
    6.15 GF pp
    6.15 GA PK
    Dmen get paid a shit load of money to be avaerage on the PP.
    Uneducated types praise offensive dmen and
    pay them large portions of the cap for performing average.

Eric gryba was =11 g better than

Plain and simple. The elite players for there special team skill are played large numbers to have an major affect.

j. schultz was on pace to be 2goals better than averge for the pp. yet ended up as the 8 th best Dman for pp points. Do you pay him for the real +2GD or they percieved performance on the PP.

Smids +6 had more of an affect special teams wise and sure as hell will not cost us insane dollars.

Call me crazy but J. schultz’s -27 GD pace for a season is the worry.

59. GriffCity says:

hunter1909,

I wasn’t saying I want to trade anyone. Have you even read this thread? It was other people throwing out these names, in fact my previous post was completely against trading any of our guns for any of the names being thrown around. So while im checking my sensibility, you go ahead and get your facts straight.

60. denny33 says:

GriffCity,

This is the first two sentence from the top of the page….no goalie talk here.

On Tuesday evening TSN’s Bob McKenzie reported that the Edmonton Oilers – who have struggled out of the gate this season, and in their own end in particular – are in the market for a defenseman.

61. GriffCity says:

denny33,

You are right but in lieu of any realistic defense trade proposals I defer back to the goaltending. Having a strong goalie or goalie tandem would certainly make the blueliners look a lot better on paper.

62. jb says:

I like the idea of a Ryan Miller as a possible upgrade. Then dealing our 1st for another Ference type Dman, except better.

D by comittee can work for teams like NJ, but you need to remember who really anchored that team from the back-end for decades.

63. FastOil says:

I don’t think they need a 1 LD given all of the org’s best prospects are LD and there is quality. If they need anything it’s an upgrade on Petry (who is very good). If they could get a top level RD to pair with the future 1 LD there might be an argument there. It’s not clear to me that JS will settle enough to be that steady ice guy.

The chance of benefiting overall from a different goalie is so low it’s not a good idea. Just reducing shots against which they have to do anyway if they want to go anywhere will achieve the same result for free. I hope MacT doesn’t believe in clutch goalies.

64. Big Dan says:

Do you think the Ryan Miller for Ales Hemsky rumors from the summer could rematerialize? Obviously, those rumors were bogus because Buffalo wants a 1st rounder, not a UFA.

So let’s say Miller for Dubnyk/ N.Schultz & 1st rounder (because MacT can’t pick up $6M Miller without trading cap space back … and a $3.5M backup and a $3.6M 3rd pairing D are unmoveable right now). Would Buffalo do it? Their owner is rich so $$$ isn’t an issue, if the deal helps them in the long run. They just let Dubnyk and Schultz go in the summer, or parlay draft picks for them at the deadline.

Or to be REALLY bold – as MacT promised, what if Tyler Myers & Luke Adam for Justin Schultz & Ales Hemsky were added to that deal? Hemsky’s tires have been getting pumped lately= 1st line ice time, kudos from the coach, all seems fishy to me.

Oilers have to send Hemsky in order to afford Myers’ $5M cap hit. Buffalo can dump Hemmer later for a 2nd rounder if he stays healthy.

Myers is a big, mobile D suffering under heightened expectations and an unhappy fan base. Many D in the past need a change of scenery (even Pronger from Hartford). He is not dynamic offensively like Schultz and he’s got a big salary… but he won a Calder and has a few years experience and a reputation for being solid defensively.

Would that be an upgrade or am I crazy? These are two franchises that need a big deal to shake up the culture of mediocrity they’ve been growing.

65. russ99 says:

IMO, we’re too far away from being a Cup contender to make a “difference-making” deal where we give up multiple quality assets i.e. to go for a Cup.

The Pronger deal was a perfect example. We’re pretty far behind that Oilers team so far.

What I don’t want to see from MacT is a knee-jerk deal that could hurt us in the future and potentially shorten our future window of contention to vainly try and push for a 1-2 round playoff run this season.

He’s done a good job this offseason adding to fill need positions, so why can we continue our progression and improve more each year as our core continues to advance to their prime years?

Besides the mess on defense is partially his fault. There were much better options out there on the FA market (pricy early and cheap late) than Grebeshkov and Belov.

66. Zipdot says:

denny33: 3. The price we will have to pay for this ‘bold move’ will shock a lot of people in here.

Fear mongering….

67. BlacqueJacque says:

Islanders sent Reinhart back to the Oil Kings.

I don’t think he’s the calibre of prospect that Nurse is – not offensively, anyway – but I still think it helps the Oilers realize that two more years in junior and perhaps a year in the A are Good Things ™.

68. LMHF#1 says:

russ99:

So you’re telling me that the 2004 team was on the precipice and that Pronger was a “final piece” deal? No.

You add players like him at any time they are offered to you for an affordable price.

69. TheOtherJohn says:

How much of the Oilers looking to add a “difference maker on D” is based upon MAcT coaching Pronger and knowing what a true elite D man can mean to a team?

70. BlacqueJacque says:

Zipdot: Fear mongering….

Denny is anticipating the Oilers making a bone-headed move.

This isn’t fear mongering. It’s a projection based on a well-established record of past performance.

I mean, Christ, you’d hope that trend went away wtih MacT, but the entire league considers David Clarkson’s overpay in Toronto to be bad, imagine what we had to offer him to be disappointed he chose the Leafs? And 80% of his output came in the first 20 games of the season. We’re talking about a guy who has never done much of anything – career high 46 points – and is rapidly approaching 30. We’d be looking back at the Horcoff contract and smiling and laughing and saying “Oh, remember the times when we thought a 28-year-old Horcoff coming off a 70-point season was overpaid by Kevin Lowe at the behest of his good buddy MacT, who loved coaching the guy?”

71. BlacqueJacque says:

TheOtherJohn:

Half. The other half is secret GM Kevin Lowe thinking how well Pronger worked out for us.

The Oilers’ braintrust would do better with some more actual brain in it, rather than fantasizing about finding another Pronger.

72. DeadmanWaking says:

A package centered around Yakupov could slay a multitude of short-term dragons with a single thrust–which is why I recently observed that the forward-facing regard for asset management and the rear-view obsession with the long ribbon of suck are rubberneck bed-fellows.

Yak is not yet tilting the ice. That day will come: tomorrow, a month from now, a year from now. Meanwhile, our Little Shop of Horrors tower of suck has grown so large it’s threatening to eat Kansas (after snacking on Oklahoma).

Imagine what MacT would give to chainsaw the blossoming corpse plant down to ankle height before the mind-rending stench dispossesses the rubberneck zombies of their last shred of restraint, and they pour with torches blazing through craggy crevices of windows loudly molting loose scales.

Imagine how difficult this must be for MacT to resist when the fan base mills around in dense clusters of dusty dungarees tamping the asphalt with the butt ends of sturdy pitchforks in primal unison “win now, win now, win now” while Staples tirelessly materializes wherever the chant subsides in his Malkin Monday or Toews Tuesday hockey jersey to rock the podium floorboards with a mesmerizing “heave ho” thrust and parry of his plastic salad baton.

I’m not so concerned myself about making the playoffs as I am about making some noise. Yakupov has a shot to break iron. That’s the kind of noise I’m talking about. Unfortunately, he’s not yet carrying his team into the second season, despite Hunter’s phrenological fervor concerning spontaneous talent combustion.

What is urgency? Urgency is kneeling down in the wet grass, sticking your nose in an ashen crevice of the sooty rock ring, and blowing a long, thin, stream of damp oxygen over dark, dry embers fringed with pulsing dots of orange rage. For as long as it takes.

It’s not trading a cord of hardwood for an ounce of pitch.

73. Zipdot says:

BlacqueJacque,

Hehe, yes, well, you have a point. But there’s really no sense freaking out in advance. There’s more than enough to talk about in terms of actual things that are going on with the Oilers.

We’re used to plotting “what if” scenarios because we’ve spent the majority of the last 5 seasons doing it – because we didn’t have anything else to talk about, besides “damn this team sucks”.

But this year, we don’t need to descend into that hell just yet. Why are people trying to force it?

74. Numenius says:

My idea of trading Klefbom for Cobourn at the draft isn’t looking so bad now.

75. Diesel says:

DeadmanWaking:

Yak is not yet tilting the ice.That day will come: tomorrow, a month from now, a year from now.Meanwhile, our Little Shop of Horrors tower of suck has grown so large it’s threatening to eat Kansas (after snacking on Oklahoma).

I’m not so concerned myself about making the playoffs as I am about making some noise.Yakupov has a shot to break iron.That’s the kind of noise I’m talking about.Unfortunately, he’s not yet carrying his team into the second season, despite Hunter’s phrenological fervor concerning spontaneous talent combustion.

What is urgency?Urgency is kneeling down in the wet grass, sticking your nose in an ashen crevice of the sooty rock ring, and blowing a long, thin, stream of damp oxygen over dark, dry embers fringed with pulsing dots of orange rage. For as long as it takes.

It’s not trading a cord of hardwood for an ounce of pitch.

Beat me to it.

76. slopitch says:

russ99,

I think the Pronger trade you make no matter what the situation. Furthermore, any trade you can make where you acquire a difference maker for prospects/non difference makers, you do it. These players improve the team around them. The current Oilers team is improving rapidly. A boost of a top pairing D would accelerate that. Why wait?

77. Zipdot says:

DeadmanWaking: It’s not trading a cord of hardwood for an ounce of pitch.

What he said! Let me try, too.

Let’s not trade our ears for some cool sunglasses.

No, wait..

Let’s not trade our car for some nice mags.

Hmm, nooo….

Let’s not trade our airplane for some jet fuel.

Okay, no, DMW wins.

78. Zipdot says:

slopitch: The current Oilers team is improving rapidly. A boost of a top pairing D would accelerate that. Why wait?

Gardiner isn’t a top pairing D, though. He’s a clone of the 4-6 4-6 D’s we already have.

79. leadfarmer says:

Wouldnt surprise me if they overpaid for Tyler Myers. They’ve been in love with him for a long time.

80. denny33 says:

Zipdot,

By Bob Mackenzie? Or Mac T?

Explain…..

81. maudite says:

Save percentage 0.87 resulting in a pdo of 0.959…good for bottom 5 in league. One hopes they are wise enough to let the dust settle. Give the team a chance to learn the systems and Eakins a chance to tweak it based after analyzing the weaker parts. With the Frankenstein defense strategy, there are already enough pieces on the table to assemble a functional back end IMO.

I’m not willing to pay the price for a true top 2 dman (if such a thing were even available).

Petry
    Smid
    J Shultz
    Ference
    Nultz, belov, Grebs, potter, Larson, fedun, marincin

I think the pieces are there, just a matter of understanding how best to put it together.

82. Racki says:

I think most people undervalue a rock on the blue line. The cost is likely heavy, but it will make a tremendous difference. Tough thing is, you don’t want to pick up some guy who is gone in a couple/few years. Again, won’t be easy, but the a oilers definitely should be in that market because there isn’t a single guy on the current team that can control a game like a Pronger type can (pre-brain trauma Pronger) .

Also I get attached to players as much as the next guy but you have to look at what will benefit the team the most… Who could control a game when needed.

83. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Just an excellent piece of work on Patrick Roy, why he’s good for hockey and perhaps the major reason the Av’s will make the playoffs.

84. Andropod says:

With proper motivation, solid line combination and the other aspects of good coaching thrown in, this team should be good for making the playoffs this year and with maturation and more familiarization with Chickenhawk’s systems, make it to the 2nd round next year.

By which time the Darnells and the other slid D prospects should be maturing and coming on board to take us to the land of Stanley.

The missing piece is, unfortunately, Dubnyk. If I am to choose between two goalies of the same career save %, I would take the one that only lets in the most difficult shots to the one that is inconsistent and lets in the occasional stinkers. On the other hand Dubs has shined in the championship games. Maybe he just need contact lenses for the long shots and time to adjust to the mini pads and mini paddle. Or maybe he’s just not athletic enough to adjust which would be a bigger problem.

85. jake70 says:

“Imagine how difficult this must be for MacT to resist when the fan base mills around in dense clusters of dusty dungarees tamping the asphalt with the butt ends of sturdy pitchforks in primal unison “win now, win now, win now” ”

Nigh 8 periods into a new season and the boobirds were well heard at Rexall, this must be a record. No pressure at all.

86. LMHF#1 says:

jake70:

Nigh 8 periods into a new season and the boobirds were well heard at Rexall, this must be a record.No pressure at all.

87. nez29 says:

LMHF#1,

Yep–what’s not to boo? That was cruddy. I’m not hypercritical, or a Pollyanna, but I have a right to expect a modicum of professional effort, even if the results aren’t always there. Too many nights in the last few years haven’t had effort or results. That second period was BROO-DLE. I hope the third was a turning point, and not a sample-size fluke. Oh yeah–Dubnyk AIN”t THE PROBLEM!!!

88. Lucinius says:

Man, some of the suggestions in here make me glad most of you aren’t GMs. You don’t trade one of the Four forwards unless cap space demands it. Period. Yes, yes, I understand ‘to get something great you have to give up something great’; but is that second something great worth it? Right now? Not even close, imo.

Until this team can prove it can make the playoffs there is no point in making that ‘difference’ trade to put us over some mythical edge. Especially since time only make our assets looks stronger in the trade scenario.

Secondly, the only way any team is going to give up a bonafide #1 defenseman is if you either massively overpay or they’re out of the playoffs and looking to rebuild or their owner hits financial dire straits and I don’t see any teams in that scenario with guys we’d want.

Until the deadline the only positions I really want to see them look at are #5 D (N. Schultz is way too expensive to slot there, despite it being where he has to be, performance wise), and 3/4th line LWs.

Another center would not go amiss, but with RNH back, Gagner coming back, Gordon doing well, Acton and Arcobello surviving, Lander down on the farm and Hall able to at least take face offs? We’re okay-ish there, especially if Gagner learns what the defensive zone is.

Which is actually my biggest wish. Gagner out for someone like.. say, Grabovski. Had the opportunity and we passed on it because of Gagner’s supposed leadership skills, loyalty and offensive outburst last year (despite the fact it came largely from him cheating for offense and fucking the team over a barrel defensively).

Gagner will never be a two-way center, imo, and that’s a problem.

Also, you people trying to trade Smid or Hemsky? I hate you.

89. spoiler says:

Bobby Mac…

Oilers not hitting the panic button

Oilers are not going to judge Dubnyk on a couple of games

Oilers might be a little more open for business than some other GMs.

Remember when MacT took the job he said he wanted to bold. He hasn’t had that opportunity yet to make that bold move but I think he’s still laying out there in the weeds trying to find something.

These thoughts from MacKenzie are a little different than they way they are presented by some commentors above.

And in fact they reflect the way I would want any GM to do his job… ie, always looking for ways to improve the team.

maudite:
    Save percentage 0.87 resulting in a pdo of 0.959…good for bottom 5 in league.One hopes they are wise enough to let the dust settle.Give the team a chance to learn the systems and Eakins a chance to tweak it based after analyzing the weaker parts.With the Frankenstein defense strategy, there are already enough pieces on the table to assemble a functional back end IMO.

Petry
    Smid
    J Shultz
    Ference
    Nultz, belov, Grebs, potter, Larson, fedun, marincin

Are you looking at all SH% and SV%?

PDO is just 5v5 SH% and SV%

Oilers are in a cluster at the middle with 996.

14.3sh% (!) and .853 SV% (!!)

I hope to heck that the SV% regresses before the SH% does.

EDIT: OOPS, THAT’S “SCORE CLOSE”

You’re right, here’s the right link: http://www.extraskater.com/teams/2013/5v5?sort=pdo

91. Hambone678 says:

Where would Tom Gilbert fit in?

92. misfit says:

mumbai max: ….the NYR dont really need scoring forwards.

Seeing how Slats has operated since the day he took over in New York, the Rangers are ALWAYS looking to add scoring forwards regardless of what their perceived needs may be.

93. jake70 says:

LMHF#1: That period would have warranted booing in the middle of a 15 game winning streak. They were terrible.

Yeah, was just using that to give real life example of the “win now win now” comments by DMW. I’ve only been to 1 home Oiler game in my life, so in no position to characterize the boos at Rexall Place. However, I could hear it loud and clear through my TV speakers. It had the feel of “fix this shit now” in terms of the bigger picture of the team/we’ve had enough….. or maybe it was just what I was thinking…lol. If they played like that for a period somewhere near the end of a 15 game win streak, can’t see them getting booed, but like I said, don’t know the boo dynamics at Rexall..lol.

94. prairieschooner says:

We need a dance partner to work a trade and we are 3 games in.
    The nucks wanted our 7th pick, a second rounder and Marincin for Schneider it was on LTs show.
    I wish people would stop throwing our top youngsters into potential trades when we still do not know what we have with them!

95. gr8one says:

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Letang, whom there had been whispers of being available, and especially now that Maatta has started so well and have a lot of good young D depth and can’t really afford Letang going forward. Pittsburgh is 3-0 so far without him, so it’s somewhat plausible.

The problem is though he’s made of glass and I definitely wouldn’t want to see any of the young forward stars go if it was him we were getting.

Man O Man though, if we had a healthy Letang he’d make our offense lethal.

Jon, Rom: Spoke to Eric Rodgers early in the week, he mentioned both Martindale and Pitlick as players who had stood out early from his pov. Also have ‘spies’ who felt they’d stepped forward

97. striatic says:

Ok so the way you acquire a stud D-Man is to wait for a budding stud to fall into your lap, signing as a UFA. Sort of a Zdeno Chara situation.

Take a good long look at what Matt Niskanen does in Pittsburgh this year. 1st pairing minutes, excellent results, about to become UFA on a team tight to the cap who already has a clear #1 stud d-man.

Alternatively, trade for a player on the cusp, but not quite a #1 just yet.

Defensemen in their late 20s are often just about to peak. Developing by sundial and all that. Catch a Pronger or Chara right before their peak, when their value is still in question.

Giving up an elite level player [Eberle, Yakupov] to buy one of these guys after the fact is like paying retail, and as we all know, Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #141 is “Only fools pay retail”.

98. B S says:

spoiler:
    Bobby Mac…

Oilers not hitting the panic button

Oilers are not going to judge Dubnyk on a couple of games

Oilers might be a little more open for business than some other GMs.

Mackenzie’s full of sh!t again. He was judging Dubnyk on no games played before the season started, saying the Oilers needed someone new. He sees the Oil get beat up and suggests they will step up their look for a goon. The Oil let in 15 goals with 2 different goalies so he suggest their looking for a #1 Dman. News flash, Bob Mackenzie isn’t basing these assertions on inside info (he does get inside info, but usually not on the Oilers), he sees a need an inserts some standard solution (28 teams in the league need a better goalie, when a star player gets beaten up, or targeted most GMs still look to an enforcer for comfort). I’m not saying it won’t happen, MacT is new, and has been relatively active in the marketplace, but

@Spoiler, the commentors are talking about Mackenzie’s comments on TSN during an intermission, and because he has inside connections he generates a lot of attention when he talks about trades.

LA, Boston, and Chicago are the only 3 teams I can think of with legitimate #1 stud dmen. Who are the Oil going to trade with? Pietrangelo, Subban, and maybe Karlson could become that guy. Subban is the only one even remotely available, Weber might become one again. The rest of the league is still searching for their stud Dman. If I’m trading Eberle

99. spoiler says:

B S,

Not sure what you are referring to, but I assure you, those are direct quotes, as word for word as I could make them, from that very same segment. And those thoughts, as you can see, are quite qualified.

In other words (lol) we shouldn’t be panicking either.

100. rickithebear says:

BS:
    #1 Stud D.

Describe?

101. striatic says:

B S: LA, Boston, and Chicago are the only 3 teams I can think of with legitimate #1 stud dmen.

Unfortunately LA, Boston and Chicago are also the only teams I can remember winning the Stanley Cup recently.

I think there are more “Stud D-men” than that, but if your point is that there are only a handful, you’re correct. Still, guys like Letang, Suter and Weber should qualify if Duncan Keith qualifies. Not their fault they have lesser teammates. Maybe add Pietrangelo and Byfuglien to that Mix. Subban and Karlsson might be in that group soon enough.

But that still means *at least* 20 NHL Hockey teams without a D-man who is both offensively and defensively dominant 5v5 over sustained periods.

102. "Steve Smith" says:

rickithebear:
    BS:
    #1 Stud D.

Describe?

103. striatic says:

"Steve Smith": Personally, I just take all the defencemen in the league and rank them in ascending order of even strength goals allowed per 60 minutes of play, without regard for on-ice save percentage or other contextual factors.

104. BlacqueJacque says:

B S

Nashville, Minnesota, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Montreal, with cases to be made for Ottawa, St. Louis, Detroit, Washington, and the Rangers.

striatic: That doesn’t take into account defensive ability very much, but at least it weeds out the PP specialists who in some ways are just a different type of forward.

He was mocking Rickibear’s tendency to entirely avoid context.

Ha! If there wasn’t a “Steve Smith” we’d have to “invent” one.

107. striatic says:

Woodguy: He was mocking Rickibear’s tendency to entirely avoid context.

I guess I missed the context on that one.

108. Gi JQE says:

Maybe it has been mentioned. But I think Dan giardi should be the target. Does everything and last yearof contract. Perhaps could be acquired reasonably and then resigned ???

109. brackenbury says:

Listen, let’s give it to the quarter pole before we make any significant personall
    Moves. Unlesss of course something is giftwrapped to us. At that point if DD
    Is still struggling, then maybe we make a move. IMO, he’s. A good enough goalie
    but maybe the pressure of playing in EDM proves to b too much to succeed here.
    Considering PITTS Plight with their GTenders,perhaps we. Move him there.
    In exchange for D David Engelland ( rugged Edm native) as well as a first pick.
    or look at PF Beau Bennett without a high pick included. Obviously we r now out
    A goalie. But if the price was right, say Yakapov, I’m sure we could get jake Allen out of
    ST.LOU. along with (cringe) M. Lapeierre. Or maybe a 2nd rd. I’m not stoppin there.
    How bout very soon to b stud D man from dallas, Jamie Oleksiak.Toss in a legit
    4th line center/ versatile fwd Vernon Fiddler. I believe we could get both these
    Players for Petry or Smid, pick a good prospect of the oil.Or throw in a second
    Or third pk. Or aim high and try to pry Chiasson out of big D. Its fun to play
    Fantasy, but their is some merit to these moves. IMO, u pull this hat-trick off
    U have addressed a few key woes of the EDM OILERS. Its fun to play. Thoughts anyone ?