I’M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I’M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE

I’ve written about Tyler Pitlick and the 2010 Entry Draft a lot over the years. I was impressed with the group originally, but they’ve taken their own sweet time arriving. As it stands today, there have been 46 players drafted in 2010 to play an NHL game. 8 of those players have played over 100 NHL games. The Oilers took 11 out of 210 overall, or 5.2% of the draft. Their players (Taylor Hall) have accounted for 8.5% of the overall games played, and 17.5% of the overall point total.

Pitlick may play a game or 100 or more, but it all starts tomorrow night. He has been called up by the Oilers and will play tomorrow night. I wrote about Pitlick the weekend he was drafted, before during and after.

smyth jones

Ryan Smyth is flying home to Edmonton to see the doctor according to reports. For a veteran Smyth’s age, this is a very large item.

jasongregor

Good grief. I swear to GOD ALMIGHTY if this team ever makes the playoffs I expect them to be playing defensemen in goal and centermen as defensemen. The Hockey Gods took Fernando The Great from us and didn’t have the decency to give him that damn Masterton award in 2008. Oiler players (and fans) have been hammered for close to a decade now, and I’m getting pissed.

SUGGESTED LINES

1. RNH-Yakupov-Eberle
  2. Arcobello-Perron-Hemsky
  3. Gordon-Jones-Pitlick
  4. Acton-Gazdic-Brown

I think they can cobble together a 12-pak in the short term and compete, but if Hall (and to a lesser extent Smyth) are out for a long period this thing is going to look a little freaky. This is quickly becoming THE story of the season.

91 Responses to "I’M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I’M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE"

1. Melman says:

Gagner, Joensuu and Hall all on the shelf – that’s a pretty nice line right there let alone adding Smytty into picture.

Golden opportunity for Pitlick

2. wheatnoil says:

Pitlick’s new nickname is Seguin?

wheatnoil:
    Pitlick’s new nickname is Seguin?

Thought I caught it in time. :-)

4. wheatnoil says:

Dubnyk is coming back into form right on time… hopefully he can steal one more game and give these Oilers a few more days to get healthy. Hall, Smyth, Gagner, Joensuu, and potentially Eberle (didn’t practice today or yesterday) all out. Though I imagine if they thought Eberle wasn’t playing they’d have called up another forward. If the Oilers didn’t have bad luck they’d have none at all.

5. Ribs says:

Still have a Seguin in there….

6. Melman says:

maybe Eakins needs to institute mandatory team yoga and Flintstone vitamins to turn this injury bug the other way…or it’s the hockey gods punishing us for repeatedly icing an unbalanced roster (prior to this year)

7. Colonel Obvious says:

Pitlick can’t score. He hasn’t scored in the AHL, he didn’t score in junior. He has no track record of scoring. Not goals. Not assists. Nothing.

He obviously looks good on the ice since everyone seems to love him but if you can’t put the puck in the net you can’t play. It really is that simple.

8. wheatnoil says:

Melman:

Maybe the hockey gods really want them to get Ekblad. Injure all the centres, a historic run of poor save percentage by Dubnyk followed by more sniper shots from the grassy knoll. Unbelievable.

Buddy just texted me, apparently Bob McKenzie has Eberle as “not likely” to play tomorrow night. So now we’re looking at Joensuu drawing in or Grebs playing forward.

10. fifthcartel says:

Does it ever end?

11. wheatnoil says:

(screams from the window) I’M MAD AS HELL…

12. Colonel Obvious says:

If ever a situation called for Omark it is this.

I thought Joensuu was in Edmonton?

14. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy: I thought Joensuu was in Edmonton?

… AND I’M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!

15. bookje says:

Well, we hoped for the best, but it turned out like always.

Seriously, I find this works for 98% of Oiler related stuff.

Someday LT is going to use it as a title for a blog post. I am going to label that day Sad Tuesday (unless it is Wednesday in which case I will call it Wretched Tuesday).

Ahahaaha. It’ll be 11 callups and Omark will still be in OKC with his shine box.

17. Chris109 says:

Lowetide: Thought I caught it in time.

Newest trade rumor:

Tyler Pitlick for Tyler Seguin. You heard it from Lowetide first!

18. Ribs says:

Don’t worry. Hemsky’s got this. ;)

19. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Oh, the humanity.

This is when stocking the 4th line full of plugs really hurts.

Let’s look at Anaheim’s 4th line from their last game:

Etem – Bonino – Palmeieri

Etem – 21 years old – 1st rounder in 2010

Bonino – 25 years old – 8th on ANA in scoring – playing on 2nd unit PP

Palmeiri – 22 years old – 1st rounder from 2009

I have been harping for years that the 4th line should be kids who want to play up the line up and can fill a top 9 spot in a pinch.

The Oiler’s fourth line is where hockey goes to die.

I hate bad hockey players playing ahead of good hockey players.

I hope Pitlick comes up and takes either Gazdic’s or Brown’s spot.

I get why they have one player who wears an NHL jersey because he punches well, not because he plays hockey well.

Why they have two is beyond comprehensible.

Dead Cat Bounce:
    Oh, the humanity.

Its pronounced Huge Manatee.

22. Hammers says:

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger or so they say . If Ebs wasn’t playing they should have given Omark a shot . Nothing against Pitlick but we need goal scorers . RNH / Yak / Omark could get some points and Pitlick on the 3rd line doesn’t help much . Hell I would sooner give Pitlick a shot with RNH and find out if he can cut it . It’s called sink or swim . Hope fully Gags is back in a week but how long for him to get in the groove . where the hell is my scotch.

You might be able to have a short term solution via trade but MacT has:

Ben Eager
    Luke Gazdic
    Mike Brown
    Steve MacIntyre

All under contract and the 50 man is up to 49.

OH THE HUGE MANATEE.

24. VanOil says:

I friend texted me all kinds of things I can’t repeat here and he might of been pulling my leg. I was unaware that Mackenzie maintains an unable to play roster.

Woodguy:
    You might be able to have a short term solution via trade but MacT has:

Ben Eager
    Luke Gazdic
    Mike Brown
    Steve MacIntyre

All under contract and the 50 man is up to 49.

OH THE HUGE MANATEE.

Never heard of it until now. Seriously.

26. Andropod says:

A while back I said it will take 20-30 games for the team, coach and systems to all settle in. That’s probably enough time for everyone to heal. Give up the first 20-30 as an Oilers pre-season, use the rest to judge the team’s w/l performance. So in 2014-15 we can “really” contend for the playoffs.

I’ve been resigned to this since the VCR game. Good players, good GM, good coach, just too much roster turnover outside of the injuries anyway. Take your time, let the injuries heal completely, and then carry on.

27. spoiler says:

Woodguy: You might be able to have a short term solution via trade but MacT has:Ben EagerLuke GazdicMike BrownSteve MacIntyreAll under contract and the 50 man is up to 49.OH THE HUGE MANATEE.http://www.flickr.com/photos/ulrichp/1362599/(I’m sure 99.8% of people here know that meme, but DeeEssEff is 63 and LT is 320 so you never know)

That line still makes me think of WKRP’s Turkey’s Away episode.

28. VanOil says:

Woodguy:

The Oiler’s fourth line is where hockey goes to die.

I hate bad hockey players playing ahead of good hockey players.

One of the previous excuses for Oilers not fielding young or up and coming talent on the 4th line (other than the toughness cannon) was that the team was too young. If according to the coach the team is no longer young maybe this could change. I am not holding my breath though. Hockey will continue to die.

29. Dead Cat Bounce says:

It could be worse.

The Habs have even more injuries:

“Daniel Briere (concussion), Brandon Prust (shoulder), Max Pacioretty (hamstring), George Parros (concussion), Douglas Murray (upper body), and Alexei Emelin (knee) are all out of the Montreal Canadiens’ lineup.

This is a club that has played eight games and is led in scoring by a defenceman.”

Dead Cat Bounce:
    It could be worse.

The Habs have even more injuries:

Most of the Habs helped their team when they got hurt.

31. Racki says:

Smytty has been playing pretty well as of late, so of course the timing on this stinks to high heaven, as does Eberle missing a game.

Falling Apart for Reinhart!

32. Ice Sage says:

injuries are part of the game.

Pitlick just has to hustle, hit and impede to do his job – if he can grab a 4th line spot this way, that’s a silver lining.

Fedun recalled as per AHL transactions

34. OilFire says:

Fedun recalled as per AHL transactions

Well, I guess this explains why Grebs didn’t play the 3rd. Yay! More injuries!

35. VanOil says:

Great news on Fedun for two reasons a) the hockey gords owe him and b) I think he might be a better fit on the Oilers D than N Schultz right now.

36. Racki says:

Fedun being recalled is a little odd, since they aren’t having any D problems.. but I hope he gets some action in though.. definitely a big fan. The Oil may need another forward here though..

37. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lowetide: Most of the Habs helped their team when they got hurt.

Prust, Pacioretty Briere and Emelin are very good hockey players.

38. OilFire says:

Lowetide: Never heard of it until now. Seriously.

Here, let me help out:

OilFire: Here, let me help out:1. Meme: an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, esp. imitation.

Don’t make me come over there. :-)

40. Racki says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Prust, Pacioretty Briere and Emelin are very good hockey players.

You’re right, Hall, Gagner and Eberle are scrubs compared to those guys.

41. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Racki: You’re right, Hall, Gagner and Eberle are scrubs compared to those guys.

But suggesting they’re helping their team by being injured is crazy talk.

42. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Passing information genetically is much more entertaining :)

43. Racki says:

Dead Cat Bounce: No.

But suggesting they’re helping their team by being injured is crazy talk.

44. OilFire says:

Lowetide: Don’t make me come over there.

Full disclosure: I’m not that young and hadn’t seen that meme either. Still, everybody likes to take a swipe at Papa Bear when they get a chance.

45. wheatnoil says:

OilFire: Well, I guess this explains why Grebs didn’t play the 3rd.Yay! More injuries!

Grebs played the wing in today’s practice. Maybe this means Fedun is slotting in 3rd pairing D while Grebs is your 2nd line left winger. Man, out of all the players blocking Omark, I never would’ve guessed Grebeshkov as one of them.

spoiler: That line still makes me think of WKRP’s Turkey’s Away episode.

I was outside thinking that the Hindenberg tragedy spawned 2 fine pieces of comedy.

By far the Les Nessman doing a live hit of the turkey drop.

47. spoiler says:

That’s a new OIl Change on Sportsnet right now.

Racki,

Falling Apart for Reinhart!

A cold, deep shiver just went down my spine.

Dead Cat Bounce: No.

But suggesting they’re helping their team by being injured is crazy talk.

You know you’re talking about LT talking about the Habs right?

What? Are you new?

Racki: Yah losing Pacioretty and Emelin is a pretty big deal, as is Prust. Briere is maybe a little questionable just because this isn’t exactly a shock that he’s hurt. But I’d say both teams are probably comparable as far as the body count / impact.

Pacioretty is their best forward and its not close. Emelin is good toom.

Prust is meh and Briere has looked like Briere but older and shorter.

51. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Just watching the DET/SJS game.

Commentators mentioned how Detroit may have struck gold on another late pick…20th overall.

Anthony Mantha.

6″4″ 190 LW

20th overall.

2013/14 Val D’Or

12GP 18G 13A 33P.

Jeebus.

52. Racki says:

Woodguy: Pacioretty is their best forward and its not close.Emelin is good toom.

Prust is meh and Briere has looked like Briere but older and shorter.

Re: Prust, I think I’d tend to agree, but he seems to be a needed element for a team there that (like the Oilers) has a lot of dwarfs. Not saying he’s a great player, just is a bit of a loss to them because of that element, and he’s one of their top PKers.

53. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Prust is meh and Briere has looked like Briere but older and shorter.

Yeah, Briere is just an old, short 4th line centre.

I’m sure everyone would prefer Will Acton :)

54. Racki says:

Dead Cat Bounce:
    Just watching the DET/SJS game.

Commentators mentioned how Detroit may have struck gold on another late epic…20th overall.

Anthony Mantha.

6″4″ 190 LW

20th overall.

2013/14Val D’Or

12GP 18G 13A 33P.

Jeebus.

Yah I noticed that too that Mantha was ripping the Q up right now. Closest guy in scoring has 2/3′s his points.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dead Cat Bounce:
    Just watching the DET/SJS game.

Anthony Mantha.

6″4″ 190 LW

20th overall.

2013/14Val D’Or

12GP 18G 13A 33P.

Jeebus.

I’m trying to watch it. This is more of a Nash-NJD game or something. only c. 20 shots a piece through 2 and half periods.

Mantha got a lot of play around here as a possible trade down target. IIRC he’s one of the oldest players (maybe the oldest?) from his draft year and there was some BS about attitude/character that pushed him down.

Detroit got a real gem. Mantha, Shinkaruk and Petan were all much higher by NHLE than various reports and draft position IIRC.

56. RexLibris says:

I’m glad that Pitlick and Fedun are, at least on paper, getting a chance. Be happier when I see them play.

While I understand the argument that the Ducks have former 1st round picks playing on their third line, the Oilers, to be honest, never really had that luxury. The draft position, and incumbent talent, meant that the 18 year old was probably better than the veteran on many nights.

That being said, moving towards that set up is, I think, the goal is to get there in time.

Also, with regards to these injuries, I suppose we should also remember that it was as a result of serious injuries to Hemsky, Horcoff, Souray, and virtually every other significant Oiler during 2009-2010, and then a reprise in 2011 that led to the team drafting Hall and Nugent-Hopkins.

I’m as sick of this kind of thing as anyone here, but in the long term we have had some benefits from the bad luck.

Now, if they can stop with the shoulder-surgery fetish, get and keep these players healthy, and start inflicting a few roster losses on opponents for a change, I’d be happy.

57. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Colorado out shot 34-14 by the Penguins and win 1-0.

Colorado has given up 12 goals in 9 games.

Dead Cat Bounce:
    Colorado out shot 34-14 by the Penguins and win 1-0.

Colorado has given up 12 goals in 9 games.

That’s the 77 Habs. Totally sustainable.

59. G Money says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Yeah, Briere is just an old, short 4th line centre.

I’m sure everyone would prefer Will Acton

Funny thing about Acton … since before the season started, I’ve been of the position that the Oilers won’t make the playoffs because the third and fourth lines will continue to be places where hockey goes to die, just like last year.

Thankfully I’ve been completely wrong on the third line front – Gordon, Joensuu (in his few games), and Old Man River have all proven to have big time game, and the third line is actually decent.

But the fourth line is still the hateful piece of sh*t that I expected it to be before the season, and I blamed Tubthumper Jr, Gasdick, and Nepotism Boy in equal measure.

But the last game, where Acton played some shifts with real hockey players – those shifts, he actually *looked* like an NHL player. Make a pass, take a pass, skate, all those oddities.

I’ve now revised my thinking – Acton may actually be a decent 4C, but Brown and Gazdic are truly even more excrement-like than I thought. (And I feel bad saying that, because both of them at least put out an honest effort each night, but poo is poo).

60. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lowetide: That’s the 77 Habs. Totally sustainable.

At the end of the day, it”s not how…but how much.

61. RexLibris says:

G Money,

I’m coming to the same conclusion.

I thought Brown had a decent pre-season, but his play and seeing him live during the season has pretty much put a pin in that balloon. And Gazdic? Well, I suppose he is probably more of a player than MacIntyre, but that is hardly a compliment.

Acton is the one keeping that line from…,well I’m not sure how much worse they could be but wherever they are and whatever they could devolve into, Acton is all that is standing between here and there.

62. Zelepukin says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Thing is, they’re almost at the point where they can play .500 hockey and still make the playoffs.

At the end of the day, it”s not how…but how much.

Giguere was amazing. He gave up nothing the entire game, but I would also say Colorado’s D played very poised. This did not look like a fluke win.

63. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Zelepukin: I watched the game, Pitts couldn’t convert on the PP. 0-6 or 0-7. Colorado had only 10 penalties prior to this game. Amazing when you think about how well their PK was today given how little they’ve had to use it this season.

Agree completely.

Roy has them playing as a team.

I’d be very surprised if they implode.

64. justDOit says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Agree completely.

Roy has them playing as a team.

I’d be very surprised if they implode.

Look at Boston – old whasis name has coached one of the least-injured teams for the last few years. Interesting side note: Having a doughnut company sponsor your team leads to fewer injuries because – WHEAT! Prairies are tough, prairie people are tough – wheat grows on the prairies, wheat is tough. Go Dunkin!

65. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Isn’t this a stats friendly blog?

Something’s driving that Avs team… It’s not Roy.

66. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Having Patrick Roy and Francois Allaire as your goalie coaches is about as good as it gets.

67. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Oil don’t seem to have confirmed the Fedun call up. Is it possible it happened after whoever mans the press releases went home for the day, or maybe the AHL got mixed up on that transaction sheet…

At any rate, did anyone hear anything definitive? Fedun seems like an odd choice given the situation.

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Francois Allaire

That’s one have of an attribution you are making!

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit: More importantly, he has them playing as a healthy team. Great coaches can do that.

Maybe that’s our problem: Acton + Eakins = Atkins, no Wheat!

70. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

He shouldn’t be on there if he hasn’t actually been recalled.

71. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Isn’t this a stats friendly blog?

Something’s driving that Avs team… It’s not Roy.

Stats are only useful when it’s convenient to use them.

Leafs, Avalanche success = awesome coaching / magic!!!

Everyone else = anomaly that will correct itself.

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Racki: Haven’t heard anything definitive and it IS odd as hell, but I will point out that the Oilers Active Roster also shows Fedun on it right now:

He shouldn’t be on there if he hasn’t actually been recalled.

Hmmmm.

thanks for the tip. That doesn’t solve the oddness, but does seem to confirm that this oddness happened.

looking at that roster: I had no idea R. Hamilton was still on the IR, does anyone know what’s up there? And, how the hell did C. Hamilton get off of it? He’s not on the Barons’ roster either:

have his injuries finally pushed him over the edge into the forbidden zone?

73. Pouzar says:

First time poster. Been lurking here for a few months. Thanks to Lowetide for the wonderful blog. This blog and the comments that follow are daily required reading for me. Thx all I have learned a bunch.

Question regarding the recent Defensive call ups this year. Why is it that we’ve called up guys on the blue line without them actually drawing into games (i.e. Davidson, Larsen and potentially Fedun)?
    Seems kinda odd?

Thx again…keep it Rockin Gentlemen!

74. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Racki: Stats are only useful when it’s convenient to use them.

Leafs, Avalanche success = awesome coaching / magic!!!

Everyone else = anomaly that will correct itself.

7-1-0

+11 goal differential.

75. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Hmmmm.

You are asking too many questions at this point.. I would shut the lights off, flip the house alarm on, and hide in the basement… Oilers agents are on your way now to “take care of you”.

But seriously, I’m sure some human being manages all these sorts of things, so perhaps someone goofed up the Curtis Hamilton part. I never noticed if he was ever on there though. Fedun showing as a recall on the Barons site and on the Active Roster seems like it would be legit.

That said, http://www.eliteprospects.com is usually pretty on the ball with recalls, I find, but they don’t list this one here. So who the heck knows.

All I know is Chris Wescott better start job hunting (sorry, vague and stupid joke).

76. B S says:

Pouzar,

Multiple possible reasons. The most obvious is that it gives you another player to play around with in case of injury. When Davidson was called up there was rumours of a flu going around the room. He didn’t play, but if Smid had been to sick to play he would have been there. Another reason is that players make more on an NHL salary than AHL in most cases. A week of NHL Salary could be a big boon to a young pro player. This can make it a reward for good play in the minors, loyalty, or whatever the GM sees fit.

77. Racki says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Remember when the Ducks rode unsustainable percentages into the playoffs last season and were sure to implode this season?

7-1-0

+11 goal differential.

You’re preaching to the non-stats guy here. Although I will say I’m definitely coming around. Just I don’t think they foretell the future perfectly. There are definitely exceptions to the rule. I didn’t get to watch the Avs tonight, so I can’t comment on how truly awesome they are /aren’t.

78. wordbird says:

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 35s
    We have a Trade! RT @KKurzCSN The #SJSharks have acquired Mike Brown from Edmonton for a 4th round pick in 2014

79. Pouzar says:

B S:
    Pouzar,

Makes sense! Would love to see Fedun draw in and force the team to keep him for an extended look. Loved what I saw from Larsen live too. What a skater…seemed to be a rover out there but made things happen.

80. Pouzar says:

wordbird,

Did they tell Pitlick to find a place to live? :P

81. OilClog says:

Ok.. so.. Grebs is playing left wing? just what sort of crazy land is this. Grebs is playing wing.. WTF IS THIS CIRCUS SHOW?!? So many better options from within.. forget looking outside.. from within! FREAKING GREBS!?!?! He must have some just filthy info on Mac or something.. lol

I can’t say I’ve ever been this nervous as an Oiler fan before, here I was thinking the last 7 years was the eye of the storm. I’m afraid it may just be beginning now..

82. Racki says:

wordbird:
    Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 35s

Interesting. I will say I liked when he was first traded here, but he has seemed pretty un-useful (I don’t want to say the proper word here) this year. The 4th line IS terrible, and he’s part of the reason.

I have to wonder if this is a precursor to another deal though.. freeing up a body for something else… the Oilers have a lack of forwards, recalled a defensemen.. now lack TWO forwards…… something is going down, no?

EDIT: BZZZT.. wrong, Racki. Eager recalled. But he’s getting traded to Montreal, right?? OK wishful thinking..

God, I sure hope Eberle plays tomorrow.

4th line of Pitlick-Acton-Eager sounds a fair bit better than Gazdic-Acton-Brown.. not they set the bar high.

83. LMHF#1 says:

wordbird:
    Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 35s

Victory! WHOOO!

84. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Racki,

That eliteprospects list, this caught my eye:

“10/21/2013 Nick Samsøe (F) Rungsted Time-out from hockey”

I realize this probably means “family” or “health” issues… so, that is terrible, but the wording is kind of hilarious.

———–
    C. Hamilton was on the roster the last I checked and was there ever since camp opened. He can’t be sent down while he’s on the IR, so I have no idea why he isn’t listed (probably just an error).

85. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wordbird:
    Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 35s

no fucking way, is this real?! if so, that’s fucking awesome!!! why would the sharks do this?

86. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Edmonton OilersVerified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers
    The #Oilers have acquired a 2014 fourth-round draft choice from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for forward Mike Brown.

what is Wilson thinking here?

87. Romulus Apotheosis says:

asked and answered:

San Jose Sharks ✔ @SanJoseSharks
    Doug Wilson: “Mike plays a speed game and fits the ‘Fast, Hard and Supportive’ mantra that our team wants to play with.” #SJSharks

88. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Racki,

That eliteprospects list, this caught my eye:

“10/21/2013Nick Samsøe (F)RungstedTime-out from hockey”

He must’ve been a bad boy. I’m guessing the league made him sit on the stairs until he realizes what he did wrong.

89. Racki says:

THE NEW PHONE BOOKS ARE HERE! THE NEW PHONE BOOKS ARE HERE!

And by that I mean LT has a new post up.

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I guess they don’t trust Pelech to “protect” Hertl?

At any rate, MacT just got his “conditional” 4th back, cleared away a facepuncher and got himself another opening on the 50 man.

Great trade.