KEEPING UP WITH THE JOENSUU

Jesse Joensuu impressed everyone on Tuesday night with his skill, grit and effort. It’s a timely arrival for the 2006 draft pick (he was taken 15 spots behind Jeff Petry) and he could be a gift from the hockey Gods for this edition of the Edmonton Oilers.

Azorcan3

Joensuu impressed everyone watching the game, most especially the head coach.

• Eakins: “I liked his game. Bad on me, I should have got him on the ice more. That’s the first thing I said when I came in here (after the 5-4 loss). He played a hard, hard game for us. He was physical, he went to the net, he made plays with the puck.”
  • Eakins: “He feels that ice in front of the net is his and nobody else’s. Dustin is a big man and for Jesse to push him back is a great sign. I just think Jesse was around the net. Pushing Byfuglien back a few feet was impressive, though. He’s a big man.”

It’s a big deal, because the Oilers need someone on the portside to play behind David Perron and Ryan Smyth until (and if) Taylor Hall returns there. After game one, I’m also thinking we’ll see a shuffle in the deck that moves Perron or Joensuu up and Smyth down.

m71

POSSIBLE LINEUP FOR SATURDAY

• Hall-Joensuu-Hemsky
  • Arcobello-Perron-Eberle
  • Gordon-Smyth-Yakupov
  • Acton-Gazdic-Brown
  • Smid-Petry
  • Ference-J Schultz
  • N Schultz-Belov

They could also move Yakupov to LW, but I’d like to see the big Finn up on that ridiculous line and see what might happen. Despite not getting a goal, I thought the 2line was a chance machine and suspect they’ll leave it alone.

m72

THE STRANGE BEN EAGER BUSINESS

Don’t know what it means, probably just easing the cap number for a few days, or maybe they really do want to drop a contract. I’m fine either way, but as always hope for some mind boggling 3-for-1 deal that puts this roster closer to balance (and I’ll even post the photo!).

m73

MITCHELL MOROZ!

When I spoke to Corey Graham yesterday, he mentioned Moroz was going to get a push on the Lazar-Samuelsson line. Moroz played at least some of the game there, and scored three goals (now 5, 6-1-7 for the season) and has 5 goals in his last two games. The Oil Kings may be struggling, but Moroz could be hitting his stride.

m74

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy day on the show, 10am on TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Kirk Luedeke from Redline Report and the New England Hockey Journal. We’ll talk Bruins season, that tough new division they’re in, and Jarome’s quest for the Stanley.
  • Pepper from Pepper and Dylan on Virgin 1049. Pepper is an Buffalo Bills fan, and with his club 2-2 he’ll be confident and upbeat realistic and expecting trouble.
  • Harrison Mooney from Puck Daddy and the Vancouver Sun. We’ll ask him about the Canucks and their coming season, this feels like a bit of a transition year what with the Sedins about to lead the league in shot blocking.
  • Ryan Batty from Copper and Blue. Batty has a realistic view on things and brings humor to road building. I never really know what we’re going to talk about, but would guess beer, women and traffic circles.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter and we’re going to open up the phones and texts a day after Oilers Nation reacted to a game one loss and see if the group has settled down (and have adopted Corsi as the one and true religion).

137 Responses to "KEEPING UP WITH THE JOENSUU"

1. hunter1909 says:

Just came to.

I said came to.

Oilers? Very nice. All the best to every one of them.

2. JonyPro says:

Joensuu > Smyth

3. hunter1909 says:

Through the haze:

If I allow Eakins until February to assemble a good hockey team, everything appears on course, no problem.

If on the other hand, I look at the last 2 games of preseason, and the first game of the season, and it’s bordering despair.

Which of these has legs?

Hunter: Both. Always both. Better to kill us with.

5. j says:

I may have misread but once someone clears waivers there is a 30 day window to recall without any repercussions. Perhaps the Oil are just playing payroll games as they have almost a week between games. That said, I wasn’t impressed with Eager at all this pre-season. Even in the game he scored a shorty – the next shift he couldn’t get the puck up the boards 3 times in one shift. We were hemmed in the entire time. I’d rather we sit Brown as well truth be told. It is almost as if his stick is made out of different materials that won’t allow the puck to settle. Perhaps he has invented a ‘perpetual motion’ machine and this is the prototype. Maybe this guy’s a genius! Or he just can’t play hockey. Not sure yet.

6. goldenchild says:

Unlike the the last couple of waiver claims Joensuu is much more the type of bet a GM should be making. He has draft pedigree, good results everywhere outside of the NHL and at an age where a light may go off so there is an opportunity to get extreme value. In the coming years with the top end of the roster filled making bets similar to Joensuu and Belov could be instrumental in this team becoming what we all hope that they do.

Its why the waiver transactions since Gagners injury have been so infuriating and feel like a missed opportunity. In a best case scenerio with Macintyre or Gadzic you get a guy who plays 5 or 6 mins a game, doesnt bleed chances and punches someone on the other team in the face more than he gets punched. Thats the best case, surely there are better ways to use one of your 50 contracts when you already have Eager and Brown.

I agree we will see a roster shuffle on top line the question is does the coach trust 6 to play with Hall and Hemsky against the toughs? Or would he rather use Perron there?

7. Spydyr says:

JJ just may be the player the Oilers have been looking for,for many years now.Good on the pro scouting but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

8. wheatnoil says:

j:
    I may have misread but once someone clears waivers there is a 30 day window to recall without any repercussions.Perhaps the Oil are just playing payroll games as they have almost a week between games.

It’s better than that. My understanding is that once a player is waived, they can be recalled or sent back down at whim until they have played either 10 NHL games or spent 30 days on the active 23-man NHL roster. So even if they call him up for a couple games, they don’t need to waive him to send back down until he meets one of those criteria. Same with Jones, Hamilton and Larsen. All the while, the Oilers squeeze out some cap room.

9. wheatnoil says:

Spydyr:

10. HiddenDarts says:

Exactly the kind of feeling that we need rubbing off.

On another note, thanks LT for keeping the conversation here fair and reasonable. Love me some Oilers Nation, but the comment section there is turning into a toddler battle. Bitter, bitter people, is what I’m saying. Grow an attention span, fools! It was one game!

11. hunter1909 says:

For the music snobs: The only music I’m going to play today is Metallica.

Metallica is the only music that can put my brain back together.

12. Spydyr says:

wheatnoil: I wonder if it was the European amateur / pro scouts more than the NHL pro scouts.

The European amateur / pro scouts found out about Belov so you may be right.

13. "Steve Smith" says:

goldenchild:
    Unlike the the last couple of waiver claims Joensuu is much morethe type of bet a GM should be making.

Except that he wasn’t a waiver pickup.

Possibly, but you’d hope not. By the time the Oilers signed him, he had a large enough body of NHL (to say nothing of AHL) work that he should have been evaluated on that – we don’t need more professional player decisions made on the basis of who Stu loved in his draft year.

Either way, early returns are positive.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ahh. Bronson, Missouri

A couple of interesting early credits are House of Wax (the 1953 version with Vincent Price) where he plays the deaf-mute Igor and Crime Wave (1954 noir) where he plays an incredibly skittish tough (both directed by André De Toth). My favorite though is Leone’s Once Upon a Time in the West.

Extras did a funny bit on “film buffs” and their pretenders regarding Magnificent Seven and Seven Samurai (go to around the 7 minute mark):

“I love all the number films” is a classic line.

———-
    Ben Eager.

Until the other shoe drops (or doesn’t) I’m not sure what to make of this. Why not keep an extra hand on deck? Also, does this mean we are possibly going to run all year with two heavies on the 4th line?

The idea of Gazdic and Brown both playing 82 (barring injury) is next door to appalling.

———
    Mitch Moroz.

Fantastic. Early returns are going to help give him a push up the lineup. Now he needs to translate that push into consistency in his offensive game. Small sample sizes give these tough kids too much credit, but one real world benefit is going to be playing time with better roster players, let’s see what he can do.

——–
    Any word on Marco and Klefbom? Any chance they see some game play soon?

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Matti V seems in charge of these things. And “saw him good” with JJ is much more likely in the SWE league than in the NHL.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

"Steve Smith": Except that he wasn’t a waiver pickup.

17. hunter1909 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: couple of interesting early credits are House of Wax (the 1953 version with Vincent Price)

Hilarious sequences.

Romulus Apotheosis: Mitch Moroz.

Rooting for Moroz too: even though it feels like I’m going to get mugged by a bunch of lawyers and schoolteachers who regularly post here who hate his guts.

18. Spydyr says:

HiddenDarts:

Exactly the kind of feeling that we need rubbing off.

19. wheatnoil says:

"Steve Smith": Possibly, but you’d hope not.By the time the Oilers signed him, he had a large enough body of NHL (to say nothing of AHL) work that he should have been evaluated on that – we don’t need more professional player decisions made on the basis of who Stu loved in his draft year.

True… I hadn’t realized he’d played in the AHL before going back to Europe. So the NA pro scouts may have had a read on him. Still, in his last two years he played a full season in the SEL and last year he scored a point a game in the SM-Liiga during the lockout and only got into 7 games in the NHL. So his recent history was mostly in Europe.

20. goldenchild says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I think you’ll find he is comparing the JJ signing (good) to the waiver pick ups (bad) not comparing good and bad waiver pick ups.

Yup thanks, probably should of made that more obvious.

21. hunter1909 says:

Spydyr: I have been paying attention to the Oilers since the WHA it is not just one game,It is season after season of ineptitude.Six rings rant about second tier fans was it for me.My patience has ran out.Call it bitter if you like.This once great team has become a pale shadow of what it once was.That does not sit well with me.

Yes but to the prevailing spirit among the self-appointed ‘enlightened’ posters around here, that is tantamount to ‘hate speech’, lol.

22. Spydyr says:

hunter1909: Yes but tothe prevailing spirit among the self-appointed ‘enlightened’ posters around here, that is tantamount to ‘hate speech’, lol.

It is love speech.Tough love.If people never cared they would not be so upset. This year it appears they are finally moving in the right direction.About time.The injuries hurt and so does your “starting” goalie pooping the bed to start a season.Mac-T tried to get a upgrade every chance this summer.Hope he is still trying.

23. bookje says:

This is the entire quote – can you please explain what you have a problem with.

” We have two types of fans: we have paying customers and we have people that watch the game that we still care about but certainly the people that go to the games and support we spend a lot of time talking to them, delivering our message.”

24. iHockeyWpg says:

Anyone know how the NHL releases the names of players placed on waivers? Curious to know how MSM are always first to release this info. And, I guess we can assume Eager cleared?

25. bookje says:

I should add that the statement was ineloquently made and also was made during a terrible press conference where the 6 rings reference came across as very arrogant. However, many people have twisted that statement into a notion that ‘Kevin Lowe said that second tier fans were irrelevant’ when all he did was to point out that they spend a lot of time working to communicate with their season ticket holders.

Apparently Klefpoo’s pubeitis has cleared up a bit:

Eric Rodgers ‏@ericrsports 18m
    Klefbom back skating today, in a yellow no-contact jersey. Fyten wearing yellow as well. #OKCBarons

27. Spydyr says:

bookje: This is the entire quote – can you please explain what you have a problem with.

The press conference in whole the arrogance.Not all Oiler fans can afford to have season tickets but most own Oiler merchandise and try to go to a few games a year. Just because you are busy with your life raising a family or going to school does not make you any less of a fan then a season ticket holder.

bookje,

Terrible?

That press conference was the most awesome thing to happen at Oilers HQ in 7 years.

LT nailed it totally with this sentence after the Lowe quote:

“And lastly I’ll say, there’s one other guy I believe in hockey today, that is still working in the game, that has won more Stanley Cups than me, so I think I know a little bit about winning if that’s ever a concern.”

You have to have the balls of a pirate, the feeling of being invincible and no awareness of the moment to make that statement on the eve of a 7th season outside the playoffs.

Poetry.

29. commonfan14 says:

On the topic of the Leafs and possession from the last thread, I thought I’d post a link to something I saw referenced on Grantland the other day that I don’t think I’ve seen on here before – apologies if it’s old news.

Seems a very devoted Leafs fan, and someone LT follows on twitter, did what Dead Cat Bounce has so long advocated for and actually sat down with two stopwatches to time offensive zone possession for all Leafs games from the first half of last season.

Turns out the Leafs weren’t any better by that measure than they were by Corsi and Fenwick.

Gagner’s pubeitis is healing as well:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 3m
    The @EdmontonOilers @89SGagner is back on the ice at Rexall Place along with Denis Grebeshkov and Curtis Hamilton prior to Oilers practice

Be nice to have him back in October.

Full face cage FTW!

31. bookje says:

Woodguy,

I fully agree with LT’s statement and hammering Lowe for that comment and others is fair. Inventing notions that he said second tier fans don’t matter is a lie and that kind of mis-information pisses me off for the same reason fans booing Petry pisses you off. From hockey to politics, mis-information put forth by those who are intelligent enough to know better (the media) to the uninformed creates nothing but problems.

32. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    Gagner’s pubeitis is healing as well:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 3m
    The @EdmontonOilers @89SGagneris back on the ice at Rexall Place along with Denis Grebeshkov and Curtis Hamilton prior to Oilers practice

Be nice to have him back in October.

Full face cage FTW!

33. Cody Anderson says:

I hate to see Yakupov on the 3rd line. I would much rather they used him on a scoring line with Hall so they can continue to develop the chemistry they showed at the end of last year.

My lines would look like this;

Perron-Hall-Yakupov
    Joensuu-Acrobello-Eberle
    Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky
    Gazdig-Acton-Brown

I think this gives yak the ice time and line mates he needs to be a star.
    Joensuu gets rewarded for his strong play and brings some size to a very undersized line.
    Gordon was brought in to handle the toughs and this is a line that should be able to be a shutdown line that still brings a threat to score.

34. Romulus Apotheosis says:

commonfan14,

Great find!!

PPP is a really solid blog. The series last year on Carlyle myths was fantastic… hilarious and insightful:

Toronto, esp. after than Cronin interview, is easily one of the most interesting teams to watch.

Every time they do something that screams “they’re just making it up as they go along” they come out with some kind of weird method underlying their madness that leaves you even more confused than when you though they were just winging it.

35. hunter1909 says:

‘We have two types of fans’ This.

Obviously this poster got a big fat C in reading comprehension.

Remove this patently stupid set of words, and you’re left with a rambling, incoherent and alcoholic Irish tramp talk.

Someone who lives near Edmonton needs to buy a season ticket, attend the annual ‘bullshit the 1st tier fans’ fest, and simply heckle the hell out of this fraud.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    Gagner’s pubeitis is healing as well:

I thought Gagner had “late stage ‘Steve Smith’”

37. Spydyr says:

bookje,

Personally I listened to that press conference twice to be sure I heard it right.The biggest thing even larger then the arrogance for me was the incompetence.That is who is running an NHL team my beloved Oilers.He can’t even have a press conference without his ego getting in the way.Explained a lot of the past moves to me.

38. G Money says:

bookje: The team we saw play on Tuesday

Some blogger or commenter somewhere stated that a positive Corsi game for the Oilers (as against the Jets) only happened 5 times all of last season. Anyone know where game-by-game Corsis are to be had?

If that is true, then despite the “only one game” caveats, it still makes it a noteworthy event simply for its rarity.

39. jb says:

That’s probably my favorite LT quote in recent memory. Gold.

Agreed on Joensuu appearing to be a god-send. If this guy can play with any sort of consistency we may have finally found that Coke machine that’ll fit in on a skilled line.

40. hunter1909 says:

“Oiler fans holding season tickets riot at annual ‘meet and greet’”

lol

41. bookje says:

hunter1909: ‘We have two types of fans’ This.

Obviously this poster got a big fat C in reading comprehension.

Remove this patently stupid set of words, and you’re left with a rambling, incoherentand alcoholic Irish tramp talk.

With regards to reading comprehension, one of the things that a lot of elementary level readers do is fail to read the entire statement,which is required for the full context. Keep working at it Hunter, you will get there. Don’t be embarrassed, lots of adults struggle with literacy.

42. Racki says:

For those discussing waivers and the 30 day 10 game rule… This applies to a player being sent down (the first time or even after that). Re entry waivers no longer exist . You never need to put a player on waivers to recall them now

43. bookje says:

Spydyr:
    bookje,

I have no problem with identifying Lowe as being both incompetent and arrogant in that press conference.

44. hunter1909 says:

bookje: With regards to reading comprehension, one of the things that a lot of elementary level readers do is fail to read the entire statement, thus getting the entire context. Keep working at it Hunter, you will get there. Don’t be embarrassed, lots of adults struggle with literacy.

45. Bulging Twine says:

What is Petry going to come in at?
    I think Hjalmarsson is better. He’s at 4.1.
    Smid isn’t as good, he’s at 3.5.
    I’m thinking 3.75.

46. TheGreatMutato says:

Woodguy:

I would be tempted to list my most enjoyable Oilers moments in the last handful of years (in no particular order) to be:

1) Eberle’s first NHL goal
    2) The Yakupov slide
    3) Kevin Lowe’s “I’ve won like a thousand cups” press conference

Nothing but gold in that list. Naturally being an Oilers fan these days requires at least some small dose of self-deprecation which, as Canadians, is our birthright.

47. iHockeyWpg says:

bookje:

Well said bookje, well said indeed.

48. G Money says:

In case there is any doubt in anyone’s mind as to why Krueger should have been fired, this article is worth a(nother) look:

Ghastly.

Also worth a look for those predicting big things for Anaheim this season.

49. hunter1909 says:

I’d like to propose a hockey game between pro and anti Lowe Lowetide posters, with the losing captain getting beheaded, Mayan basketball rules style at the end of the contest.

I’ll provide the rousing second period dressing room speech for the anti’s

50. bookje says:

hunter1909: This is what people who aren’t particularly intelligent try to use, when confronted by their limitations.

Are you suggesting that it was somehow wrong of me to ‘poke’ at you after you ‘poked’ at me with your “Obviously this poster got a big fat C in reading comprehension.”. I feel that the two comments (my equating your abilities with an elementary student) and your comment (Noting that I got a big fat C in reading comprehension) were congruent. You feel differently.

To put it simply – You started it!

51. supernova says:

hunter1909: Hilarious sequences.

hunter1909,

I think this is when we should be cheering like hell for the player.

If the Lawyers and Teachers hate him, probably means the rest of us should love him ;)

52. Colonel Obvious says:

Cody Anderson:

My lines would look like this;

Perron-Hall-Yakupov
    Joensuu-Acrobello-Eberle
    Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky
    Gazdig-Acton-Brown

I think this gives yak the ice time and line mates he needs to be a star.

It makes no sense to try and make one line better if it makes the others worse. On the basis of what has happened so far it sure looks like Eakins is running the optimal combinations. The only reason to change things is based on misguided notions that Yakupov is “wasted” on the “third” line. But that’s based on the fallacy that there is such a thing as “third” lines.

So let’s repeat. The division between scoring and non-scoring lines is semantic. It isn’t possible to “waste” a player so long as they are on the ice. The only really important variable that maybe should change is icetime. But that doesn’t require changing the lines, it just requires having someone take Smyth’s spot every third or fourth shift. I could get behind that.

53. hunter1909 says:

…and if the captain of the losing team wants to nominate Kevin Lowe(who will be in attendance) to replace him during his date with the headsman, then a goat drawing lots from an empty single malt whisky barrel will decide everything.

54. Racki says:

People need to let stuff go. Damn we harp on things for quite a while here. Yes, Lowe’s comments were stupid, condescending and insulting. It was a heat of the moment thing where he was backed in a corner for the media ripping on him and probably Tambo during mact’s intro as gm. He definitely shouldn’t have said it, and apologized… Get over it.

I’d like to see Lowe moved out as much as the next guy but the least of which was an overreaction at a press conference where he got tired of being ripped on by media. I do applaud whoever brought the question up though (mackinnon?). Made for good news.

55. LMHF#1 says:

Hilarious to see that Roy can’t even make it one game in the NHL without losing what remains of his mind. I really hope he pisses off the wrong assistant coach and gets himself clocked. Not many in the game who deserve it more than he does.

56. russ99 says:

I’m not a fan of having Smyth and Yakupov on the same line, especially if they’re going to get tough minutes vs. the Sedin line on Saturday.

If we had another forward to fill the 18th spot (vacated by Eager) I’d pressbox Smyth for a game so he gets the message that what he brought against Winnipeg ain’t gonna fly.

It’s a bit odd that Eakins seemingly had a different message in his postgame comments.

hunter1909:
    For the music snobs: The only music I’m going to play today is Metallica.

Metallica is the only music that can put my brain back together.

Metallica has even more extreme ideas than Kevin Lowe about first class fans and second class fans. For Metallica, there are first class fans and thieves and nothing inbetween.

58. Dead Cat Bounce says:

bookje: The team we saw play on Tuesday + a healthy Gags and RNH could be a pretty good team I think (provided that Dubnyk returns to form as I expect he will).

And provided they play the Winnipeg Jets 82 games straight.

59. Spydyr says:

LMHF#1:

He should not be beaking at the opposition players. It is coaching etiquette but no one ever accused Roy of having class.

60. G Money says:

godot10: Metallica has even more extreme ideas than Kevin Lowe about first class fans and second class fans.For Metallica, there are first class fans and thieves and nothing inbetween.

Ah, but how many Stanley Cup rings does Metallica have?

61. iHockeyWpg says:

6 minutes ago
    @DarrenDreger: Ben Eager, Scott Clemmensen, and Kevan Miller cleared Waivers. Wsh claims Alexander Urbom off Waivers from NJ. No one else on Waivers.

"Steve Smith": Except that he wasn’t a waiver pickup.

Either way, early returns are positive.

2011-12 HV71 Jonkoping SEL 50 13 16 29 58 -2
    2012-13 Assat Pori SM-liiga 24 11 14 25 83 9 – – – – –
    2012-13 New York Islanders NHL 7 0 2 2 6

Almost certainly the European scouts, and not the pathetic North American pro scouts.

63. bookje says:

Here is the video for Roy

As much as I am against the enforcer role in general, I am glad that the Oilers can put a few big guys out there in similar situations this year.

64. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Pass it to Bulis ‏@passittobulis 4m

Ben Eager just cleared waivers. Remember when he said he was going to target the Canucks’ stars? Maybe he meant over the Internet?

65. Spydyr says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

They just upgraded their enforcer is all.

66. striatic says:

Colonel Obvious: Why does everyone want to change the lines? Hall and Hemsky has been working. Eberle and Perron has been working. And the third line was the Oilers best line against the Jets.

i’ll give this one a shot.

if the 3rd line is playing half the minutes of the 1st line, making the 1st line better and the 3rd line worse makes the team better overall.

Eakins chastised the press the other day for thinking too much in terms of “1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line” and while of course all three lines are important and such a rigid hierarchy is mind stunting, it is true that some combinations of players simply play much more than others and making sure the most productive player combinations play the most minutes is important.

if the third line is the best line, it should either be playing more as a unit, or individual players from that line should be playing more and that may mean changing the combinations.

67. Racki says:

Dead Cat Bounce:
    Pass it to Bulis ‏@passittobulis 4m

LMHF#1:

Roy didn’t blow a roster spot, one of 50 contracts, and $600K claiming a useless roster player to make sure that the league and the media took notice of the cheap shot on Nathan MacKinnon.

69. Bruce McCurdy says:

Racki: I’d be wasn’t reassigned yet, he can still do that. But chances are he will be reassigned. Would love to see if he can back that up before denoting him

How best to follow that up? I’d just as soon we never find out.

70. Racki says:

Bruce McCurdy: Last time Ben Eager played in Vancouver he got his clock cleaned by Zack F. Kassian. Time before that he went apeshit, took a bunch of stupid penalties, and helped cost his team a playoff game.

How best to follow that up? I’d just as soon we never find out.

Ah, stop with your logic and sensible posting, Bruce. Lol

I do recall trashing Eager pretty bad after that game too.

Game 2 I might not care so much if he lost his shit on a few people though but I kind of doubt he would now.

71. Bruce McCurdy says:

HiddenDarts: Not only is JJ looking amazing out there, but his attitude is exactly what the Oil need. If you haven’t already, watch the JJ RAW post Jets game video on the Oilers site. The kid is pissed off. Real pissed off.
    Exactly the kind of feeling that we need rubbing off.

I liked Joensuu’s postgame demeanour, even commented on it in my game report. He’d played a fine game & it didn’t matter, the game was lost & he was upset about it. Could use more of that hate-to-lose attitude in that room IMO.

Better still would be to see more of it on the ice. I’m still sour about how Oilers gift-wrapped their very first game for their guests. Sick and tired of it.

72. oliveoilers says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Don’t worry Bruce, they’ll soon suck that out of him!

73. bookje says:

Eager’s job is the enforcer role and unfortunately he can’t do it any longer due to concerns regarding concussions. Good for him that he has backed off that part of his game because it’s his health that matters. In the AHL, he can be a player as opposed to an enforcer. He can earn some cash and save for retirement which probably is not too far off.

Gazdic is not as good of a player as Eager (at least not yet), but he seems to fill the enforcer/big hit role better than Eager so the Oilers took the clear upgrade in the role they were seeking to fill.

74. hunter1909 says:

LOL!

Nobody fucks with Lars.

75. Racki says:

bookje:
    Eager’s job is the enforcer role and unfortunately he can’t do it any longer due to concerns regarding concussions.Good for him that he has backed off that part of his game because it’s his health that matters.In the AHL, he can be a player as opposed to an enforcer.He can earn some cash and save for retirement which probably is not too far off.

Hell of a game one. Off to a good start. Seems to be able to play a shift without hurting the team and scoring goals never hurts. of course it is just one game in though, but I don’t think it will take long for him to make us forget both eager and MacIntyre

76. Spydyr says:

Racki: Hell of a game one. Off to a good start. Seems to be able to play a shift without hurting the team and scoring goals never hurts.of course it is just one game in though, but I don’t think it will take long for him to make us forget both eager and MacIntyre

Another kid like JJ that wants to win and hates losing.Yes please.

77. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide m8s keyboard shouting insults normally reserved for fans of other teams across the worldwide web.

Good fun to be had in here today, with the oilers as shitty team playing on everyone’s nerves, like one of those 8th Army situations at Tobruk.

Anthony Quail, or someone equally unpleasant playing the thirsty, water stealing squaddie.

78. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“roundabouts” “bike lanes”

The LT Civic Planning Hour!

79. TheOtherJohn says:

Hunter

Always good to quote WWII history. Do not think anyone would equate MacT & Eakins to Tobruk fall 1941. Expectt the better analogy would be to be the appouintment of Alexander as CinC Middle east and Montgomery as commander of 8th Army. That was, clearly, the dawn of a very new and bright day and very shortly thereafter the Afrika Corp got its ass kicked all over Northern Africa

80. Romulus Apotheosis says:
  81. RMGS says:

Hah!

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 2m
    Oilers in a heavy compete drill in practice lots of contact and @RNH_93 fully in the fray

82. G Money says:

RMGS:
    Hah!

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 2m

This is either incredibly good news or dishearteningly stupid news!

83. Truth says:

G Money: This is either incredibly good news or dishearteningly stupid news!

Incredibly good news I’m thinking. As long as they are still on the original timeline. Hopefully it went something like: Oct. 1, Cleared for Contact. Oct. 1-21, Participate in practice full contact. Oct. 22 – Nov. 1. Game time if ready

84. Bag of Pucks says:

Kevin Lowe likes Napster?

85. Bag of Pucks says:

hunter1909: LOL!

Nobody fucks with Lars.

Russell Brand does. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvYYqRefhuM

86. rickithebear says:

With Dubnyk in the elite group of only 10-15% of games 4+ goals.
    His 5 G against 1st game means we will get 7 games during the year with 14 total Ga. based on past performance and a 28 shot game.

I am ok with one 5GA game and 7 games totalling 14GA 10 times a year.

i

87. bookje says:

Truth: Incredibly good news I’m thinking.As long as they are still on the original timeline.Hopefully it went something like: Oct. 1, Cleared for Contact.Oct. 1-21, Participate in practice full contact. Oct. 22 – Nov. 1. Game time if ready

Once you are in ‘contact’ drills in practice, you are days away from playing.

There is no need to wait until Nov 1st if the Doctors are saying ‘its good to go’. It’s only bad if the coaches/GMs/Presidents are pushing the player ahead of the healing process.

Let Hall take draws and let RNH play centre with him.

88. Truth says:

RE: RNH. I’m still bitter about the handling of him last year. I still think RNH could have missed a month of hockey at the end of the year last year instead of costing the team games this year. There were absolutely no negatives to it. They weren’t winning the cup, it would have given the Oilers a shot at Seth Jones, and RNH would have been healthy at the start of this season. Now they are just hoping to hang on while he is absent from the lineup. Horrible management.

89. Logan91 says:

Cody Anderson,

Yak and Perron were put on the same line for practice today. JJ was on a line with Ebs and Gordon.

90. bookje says:

Truth:
    RE: RNH.I’m still bitter about the handling of himlast year. I still think RNH could have missed a month of hockey at the end of the year last year instead of costing the team games this year.There were absolutely no negatives to it. They weren’t winning the cup, it would have given the Oilers a shot at Seth Jones, and RNH would have been healthy at the start of this season.Now they are just hoping to hang on while he is absent from the lineup.Horrible management.

The GM was trying to save his job by making the playoffs. Maybe the President or owner should have stepped in.

91. wheatnoil says:

commonfan14:

Good find! Thanks for the link.

92. Spydyr says:

Please ,please do not rush Nuge back if he is ready great.If he is being rushed back, they are beyond stupid.

93. Truth says:

bookje: Once you are in ‘contact’ drills in practice, you are days away from playing.

There is no need to wait until Nov 1st if the Doctors are saying ‘its good to go’.It’s only bad if the coaches/GMs/Presidents are pushing the player ahead of the healing process.

Let Hall take draws and let RNH play centre with him.

I realize how that is how it is typically done, but the Oilers have the experience of Hall going through the exact same recovery last season. Hall struggled for the first few weeks in the AHL. A good plan would have been MacT accounting for a few weeks of contact in practice prior to throwing him into games. No need to rush it while hampering his confidence as he struggles.

94. rickithebear says:

Damn it meant 16G in 7 Games.

95. Rebilled says:

Goensuu bossed around the Norris trophy dman. Hope they sign him soon to a cheap midterm deal. Cheap, now, I don’t care.

He’s been my favourite Oiler since I saw him yelling at the other bench.

HE’S FROM THE OILER DISTRICT IN HIS FINNISH HOMETOWN!

ALL SIGNS POINT TO JESS!(*points to 8-ball on 8-ball jacket)

96. ashley says:

I kind of hope that RNH stays out a little longer just so I can confirm my theory that it is RNH that makes the wonderboys Hall and Eberle look so good. Not the other way around. Like football’s o-line, RNH works the magic while the QB and RB (Hall and Eberle) seem to get all the glory.

Put RNH with anyone. They will look good.

97. Truth says:

I think it’s funny, and I’ve mentioned it before, that RNH coming back earlier now is going to put a little heat on MacT. Was he being extremely conservative announcing a Nov. 1 return, and actually believing early-mid Oct? We’ll never actually know, but if RNH comes back before Nov. 1 many will presume it’s due to Gagner’s injury.

I just hope they stick to the original plan. MacT is presumably smart enough to do so .

98. Bag of Pucks says:

Possibly the Prez was looking to save his own skin as well?

At some point, he’s gotta run out of game worn memorabilia from the dynasty years to gift Katz, doesn’t he?

99. Bar_Qu says:

hunter1909: Hilarious sequences.

I’d take exception to that statement if I had anything against Moroz as a player or took exception to anything you said ever. ;-)

100. rickithebear says:

When we discussed Jeonsuu before the season.
    I liked his play at the worlds.
    the only thing that worried me was his goal infront of the net against the americans.
    He drove Petry out of the front like a feather.

i thought holly crap. that does not fit the way i saw petry playing this year.

Dustin met Jesse!

Sorry for the dought jeff.

101. pboy says:

bookje,

Too busy counting rings………

102. wheatnoil says:

New practice lines:
    Hall-Smyth-Hemsky
    Gordon-Joensuu-Eberle
    Arcobello-Perron-Yakupov
    Acton-Brown-Gasdic

I think many may not like that Smyth is staying on Hall’s line, but I think Eakin’s logic here is that if he wants 3 scoring lines, he’s got to get Yakupov going. So he’s put Yakupov up with Perron and Arcobello. Now, switching Joensuu and Smyth would make the Gordon line a little too weak, so he puts Joensuu and Eberle together and gives Smyth another chance with Hall & Hemmer.

If there was any doubt that the Oilers are pushing for 3 scoring lines, it ends now. Typical Oiler lines would have put Smyth and Joensuu on the 3rd line with Gordon and load up lines one and two with wingers. This is a real attempt to get 3 scoring lines! Amazing!

It’ll be a lot easier once RNH comes back.

103. hunter1909 says:

ashley: Saw the comments a few thread ago about Hall’s bad game because of his linemates. I don’t follow that logic since truly good players can make it happen with just about any linemate.

I never liked Ryan Smyth 10% as much as anyone else; a semi mediocre player elevated by a pathos franchise to keep the vessel floating in the water.

Now that he totally stinks the place out on a guaranteed basis, plus Eakins idiotically banishing Yaks to the 3rd line and you wonder about shit you never imagined having to think about on a team that Tambellini’s MAGIC of 3 consecutive 1st overall picks, handed to Klowe’s Klowns.

I mean, how Lowe can you get?

104. delooper says:

Truth:
    I think it’s funny, and I’ve mentioned it before, that RNH coming back earlier now is going to put a little heat on MacT.Was he being extremely conservative announcing a Nov. 1 return, and actually believing early-mid Oct?We’ll never actually know, but if RNH comes back before Nov. 1 many will presume it’s due to Gagner’s injury.

I just hope they stick to the original plan.MacT is presumably smart enough to do so .

I think you mis-read or mis-understood the announcement. Nov 1 was the “conservative standard timeline”. Basically they were saying they were modelling the return date as a normal distribution centred around that date. They did not give variance or any of those types of details. I imagine you could look that up or compute it if you spent enough time looking through the appropriate medical journals. But there’s no reason to expect RNH would return on exactly Nov 1st. His return date is whatever it is. Nov 1st was a date that was given out almost entirely so that worry-warts who need details about everything can have something to chew on.

105. hunter1909 says:

Just think: Klowe and company eventually simply fuck everything up, and the oiler’s don’t win so much as a single solitary cup with the three 1st overall picks.

This will condemn Kevin Lowe, 6 rings and all into the scorn filled purgatory of all time.

106. hunter1909 says:

It’s always cool to troll your own team, lol.

107. wheatnoil says:

delooper: I think you mis-read or mis-understood the announcement.Nov 1 was the “conservative standard timeline”.Basically they were saying they were modelling the return date as a normal distribution centred around that date.They did not give variance or any of those types of details.I imagine you could look that up or compute it if you spent enough time looking through the appropriate medical journals.But there’s no reason to expect RNH would return on exactly Nov 1st.His return date is whatever it is.Nov 1st was a date that was given out almost entirely so that worry-warts who need details about everything can have something to chew on.

Here’s what MacT actually said way back on July 31st:

“We’re still operating under the same forecast we had initially (before the shoulder surgery). All things are very optimistic now … but the timeline before was that he’d be ready Nov. 1, in a very pessimistic timeline, and optimistically he’d be ready to start the year. We’re going to stay with that and let his progression dictate when he’s ready. We won’t be hurrying him, that’s for sure.”
    (link: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-oilers/Adding+toughness+Edmonton+Oilers+roster/8733238/story.html)

There’s no indication the timeline has changed in any way. The Oilers expected him back in October, with the most optimistic timeline being Oct 1st and the most pessimistic being Nov 1st.

108. bookje says:

wheatnoil: Here’s what MacT actually said way back on July 31st:

Well then, they should have been more optimistic because the Oilers sure could have used him last game!

109. JohnnyRocket says:

supernova: hunter1909,

I think this is when we should be cheering like hell for the player.

I’m not sure what “lawyers and teachers” is supposed to imply. A lack of hockey knowledge? People who are soft? Both of those jobs are difficult and demanding, albeit in very different ways. Ask Ference, his sister is a teacher. And she could could kick your butt.

110. dawgtoy says:

Nuge involved in contact drills today at practice is great news IMO.

111. FastOil says:

Amen. Atrocious management. I will not let that go until and unless I see some Cups won, soon. And Gagner becoming the 4th most dominant C in the league behind Crosby, Nuge and Toews. And he has to kill MacKinnon in a playoff game.

112. wheatnoil says:

RNH to play next Thursday? Had contact today. Week of contact looks highly likely to go vs. Habs, minor chance vs.Devils on Monday. #Oilers— Jason Gregor (@JasonGregor) October 3, 2013

113. Bar_Qu says:

JohnnyRocket: I’m not sure what “lawyers and teachers” is supposed to imply. A lack of hockey knowledge? People who are soft? Both of those jobs are difficult and demanding, albeit in very different ways.Ask Ference, his sister is a teacher. And she could could kick your butt.

I choose to believe us teachers and those lawyers (aka “Steve Smith”) are among those longing for a sissfied, emasculated world and therefore despise all things which represent that masculinity in a positive fashion. Thus, we hate SMac, Gazdic, Parros and all others of that ilk, reflexively, simply because they are uber-males, and not because they represent poor hockey players. Moroz is lumped into that category because he was drafted 15 spots before we believed he should have been.

Or, I might be being ironic. ;-)

114. kooler says:

What would you give to get a Wayne Simmonds, Kyle Clifford or Clutterbuck now?

115. denny33 says:

wheatnoil,

Agreed…except for Ryan Smyth. He clearly came in in Great shape and motivated…but his role with the team when RNH and Gagner comes back seems uncertain…

Although, subbing him in for Brown on the 4th line might be an option….not sure that is what Ryan is up for this year…

116. wheatnoil says:

denny33:
    wheatnoil,

If RNH is back in two games (as Gregor suspects), then we might see Arcobello stay up as a centre, Hall get moved back to LW, and then Smyth gets bumped down the line-up, playing 4th line plus getting time on the powerplay.

117. Romulus Apotheosis says:

kooler:
    What would you give to geta Wayne Simmonds, Kyle Clifford or Clutterbuck now?

My guess is a lot more than market value for a few reasons:

1. they are all starting new contracts this year, which were very recently signed. It’s unlikely a team is going to trade a player they’ve just signed.

2. we are in a historical trade dead-zone until the deadline really. you don’t really see many trades during the season once teams have settled on their (more or less) final rosters barring injury. that is, cap and roster issues are typically sorted out by now, which is usually what would push a trade at this time of year.

3. Unless these players fall suddenly out of favor with their team, I can’t think of an incentive for them to shop them, esp. now.

4. because the market is dry and teams are pretty settled with their rosters, you are going to have to dangle some sweet fruit in front of other GMs to get them moving.

118. hunter1909 says:

JohnnyRocket: Ask Ference, his sister is a teacher. And she could could kick your butt.

Been hiding behind women much?

TheOtherJohn:
    Hunter

Sounds like a well thought out position, although I must confess my understanding of the entire Afrika and Italian campaigns are limited to ‘Patton’ with G.C.Scott, ‘The devil’s Brigade’(which might not have even had anything to do with that theatre), and the aforsaid mentioned b+w misery movies churned out by the Anthony Quail, John Mills, Terry Thomas and Dick Burton gang.

In other words, nothing much.

119. sliderule says:

Lots of good stuff on oiler systems on the cult of hockey.

On the PP the oilers used a couple of different systems one of which was the one three one or whats known as the Finnish system.The cult called it a Detroit system but a number of teams have used variants of the Finn system
    Nice to see Eakins innovating this early in season.

120. hunter1909 says:

Which 1970′s Hollywood blockbuster movie do you people think best represents the Oilers over the past 20 years?

a) The Towering Inferno

b) Jaws

c) The Poseidon Adventure

d) Star Wars

e) Assault on Precinct 13

121. Bar_Qu says:

hunter1909,

The Poseidon Adventure.

A terrible movie that I never fail to watch when its on. Perfectly analogous.

122. commonfan14 says:

FastOil: bookje: The GM was trying to save his job by making the playoffs.Maybe the President or owner should have stepped in.

Yikes – it’s not like he was trading 1st rounders and our top prospects for pending UFAs. We don’t even have any evidence that Nuge’s problems were going to get any worse by continuing to play.

Have we really come to a place where we’re pissed at Tambo for trying to give the team its best shot at making the playoffs while they were still in the running?

At some point we have to be okay with not getting the first overall pick anymore.

123. Kris11 says:

I do think they could move Hall back to LW as long as they created a super-soft minutes for Arcobello:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Perron-Gordon-Hemsky
    Joensuu-Arcobello-Yakupov (super soft)
    Smyth-Acton-Gawdzdik

Actually, that looks pretty awesome.

Gregor figures RNH starts vs. MTL on the 10th.

I still think TOR on the 12

125. Romulus Apotheosis says:

commonfan14: Yikes – it’s not like he was trading 1st rounders and our top prospects for pending UFAs.We don’t even have any evidence that Nuge’s problems were going to get any worse by continuing to play.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the sentiment here, but I would point out that Tambo made some obvious errors last year even on the assumption he was trying to make the playoffs:

Chasing big men; getting Smithson too late; trading away valuable draft picks for very limited returns; not sending away Whitney, Nik and anyone else for anything.

all of these things could have been handled better without affecting our (already) extremely weak chance at the playoffs.

126. Kris11 says:

hunter1909,

Star Wars

A movie that was a glorious dynasty by the 80′s, invisible in the 90′s, and crap in the 2000′s. Nerdy fans can’t give up their love of what was great and is now awful.

127. Kris11 says:

I suspect he plays on Monday in lighter minutes.

128. TheGreatMutato says:

hunter1909:

b) Jaws

Jaws 2 came out in the 70s too, didn’t it? Featured a weaker supporting cast, cost more money, but was rushed out because the studio knew that they could continue to cash in on name and association, despite it being a poorer product.

It is also often thought of as an ‘inferior’ film, especially if one dares compare it to the original (a classic). More emphasis was given to marketing, sponsoring, and gimmicky tie-ins than worrying too much about whether or not it was any good or even worthy of the title of ‘Jaws’.

“I think we’re gonna need a bigger cap”

129. Lois Lowe says:

Kris11:
    hunter1909,

Star Wars

Perfect.

And we all know that Han shot first.

130. khildahl says:

Lois Lowe: Perfect.

And we all know that Han shot first.

And last, because Greedo was dead and didn’t shoot at all.

131. TheGreatMutato says:

khildahl: And last, because Greedo was dead and didn’t shoot at all.

In the 1997 re-release, didn’t Lucas actually redo the scene in order to have Greedo shirt first this time?

Which is all pointless anyways since we know that in 1997 Todd Marchant shot first.

132. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Kris11:
    hunter1909,

Star Wars

133. G Money says:

НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴: Awful Corsi for the crew of the Falcon. Lucky for them the Strormtrooper SP% never seemed to regress towards galactic averages.

I think the Corsi was fine, but the SP% was unsustainable. And don’t even get me started on the five-hole of the Death Star.

134. wheatnoil says:

Chewbacca was the original goon.

The sample size was too small to expect to see regression.

136. НИНТЕНДО⁶⁴ says:

Woodguy: The sample size was too small to expect to see regression.

The gazillion shots that stormtroopers took at the falcon crew was one hell of a sample for a 0% SP. And a hell of a shot differential.

137. DeadmanWaking says:

TV Tropes you have failed me. I have a pretty good idea about where to dig to best answer Hunter’s question, but I was unable to locate the access portal.

Best I could do was Pawning a Family Heirloom. Pretty cheesy. Just change the name and give it a ten year run as That Nineties Show.

That sets the table for Man Has Plastic Fork Lodged In Stomach For 10 Years, which covers the aughts (as in, he really aught to have had that removed a lot sooner).

“Technically it was not a challenging operation,” said Shiwani, “but it was exciting because it is not something we have ever done before.”

Doctor: I have good new and bads news.

Patient: Start with the good news.

Doctor: I can’t. It’s a package deal.

Patient: That’s different … okay, shoot.

Doctor: It appears you’ve broken my tedium.