LANDER RECALLED

The Edmonton Oilers have recalled Anton Lander from Oklahoma City today. Lander is scoring well (for him) in the AHL (8, 2-4-6) and should get a spot in the lineup Saturday.

I think we can probably begin the discussion about Lander as a long term option, though. I know the organization has always been strong on him (he was recently named captain) but he lost a battle for the 4C job and he was drafted in 2009–sooner or later you have to head north as a prospect/player.

So, I think there are some options. He could serve as a reasonable 4line L who can play center and penalty kill (that’s a very strong fit for the current Oilers). Or, they could decide to put him in the lineup at 4C and send Acton down (I don’t see this happening, to my eye Acton has been a suitable player in that role).

Or, they can trade him. I think that’s a real possibility sometime before the draft. This is an important time for Anton Lander as a prospect. Not quite last chance Texaco, but you can see the lights from here.

texaco

50 Responses to "LANDER RECALLED"

1. cc says:

Wow! looks like I’m first in the cue.

Just got off the one of Canada’s favorite sports networks, listening to all the negativity surrounding the Oilers. I say, Good! Let it all out. Lets talk about the negative PP numbers, the PK numbers, the 5×5 numbers, 10 points out in October and no team has ever made it back and into the play-offs, etc, etc.

I’ve seen enough hockey to know this team is not done. Do we need some tweeking, sure. Has goaltending been a little soft to start the year, yup. Tough on the injury front, absolutely. But no excuses.

Let’s all chill out a bit, sit back and watch these guys mature under this new system. And believe me, when these guys start to roll its going be fun to watch and ride.

I heard this summer DET called about Lander.

Not sure what they have past Joakim Andersson, but its probably just Ken Holland planing the 2015/2016 roster.

Love Andersson.

He’ll slide in and be great and everyone will ask where he came from.

Great numbers last year, but as a 4C played a lot of guys who were puck optional.

Good way to break in a young man.

He’s 24 so Oiler fans would have traded him 3 times by now.

Woodguy:
    I heard this summer DET called about Lander.

Love Andersson.

He’ll slide in and be great and everyone will ask where he came from.

Good way to break in a young man.

He’s 24 so Oiler fans would have traded him 3 times by now.

I was kind of down the other night and read the Holland pages in Behind the Moves. I believe MacT is a smart man, he needs to add to the supporting management group and get farther from the Lowe-MacT-Howson fireside’s.

4. Nightman_ says:

LT,

Regarding your last post at ON. I am all for patience, but for another reason I think that the time to trade the first round pick is fairly soon. Edmonton is being written off in terms of a playoff run by most fans around the league and media. A fair number of people here think that there will be an improvement due to the better underlying numbers (aka worse draft position and value down the road).

I doubt a positive projection is factored enough into the value of Edmontons first rounder enough by the market. Valuing picks higher near the deadlines will probably be offset by Edmontons draft position improvement. Worth the gamble given the pick likely being overvalued. Thoughts on this? What do you think the markets sentiment is of the oilers?

Nightman_:
    LT,

6. cabbiesmacker says:

cc:
    believe me, when these guys start to roll its going be fun to watch and ride.

For sure. My prediction is the 15/16 season. Three years into Eberle and Hall’s contracts and two into Nuge’s is when it happens. By that time management may have realized throwing full responsibility for winning on the shoulders of 20 – 22 year olds with next to zero support was a bad plan. Actually they won’t but the ones we have now will be 23 – 25 so…

Hopefully they will also have surmised that signing twenty seven 3rd pairing at best Dmen and wasting contracts on useless facepunchers that can’t play hockey is a shitty plan too.

Maybe they’ll find a centre or two that can play with the big boys. Yayyy.

But maybe not.

It’s more likely that Lowe will pitch hard for another realignment just so his team can play more games against Florida and Buffalo and he won’t look like quite as large a putz.

7. cabbiesmacker says:

Could be top 10 LT? ahem

8. cc says:

cabbiesmacker,

Thanks for the laugh

9. Nightman_ says:

Agreed. Too much has been going wrong in unison early.

10. prairieschooner says:

There are so many questions about the Oilers management.
    Picking the best player available regardless of the actual needs of the team
    Yakupov is a treat to watch and I love his enthusiasm BUT with a big Russian centre just as likely to be a success and 2 first overall picks already in the bank, was no thought given to filling a need?
    The hardest things to find supposedly are big good centres and power forwards, we could have had one.
    By taking Yakupov the Oilers will be forced to move one of their draft picks to “balance” out the team, wouldn’t it have made more sense to take the big centre and not have to hope they can trade for balance all the while leaving the team struggling in part because of the imbalance they created in the first place.
    I still love Yakupov!

11. Nightman_ says:

prairieschooner,

At the time, I don’t think the overall thought was that he was just as likely to be a success. There was added risk due to his injury. All else equal, I’m sure they would have gone for need. Its less of a risk and down the road it’s about asset value if you have to fill a need. I think the debate was about Murray in terms of need. Murray would have taken longer to develop, was a riskier pick because he’s a dman . Excess assets can now be used for a dman who is currently good.

12. cabbiesmacker says:

cc:
    cabbiesmacker,

Thanks for the laugh

Smarter than all the rest ya know.

If they can surpass Cowgary’s stretch of seven years with no playoff appearances they should be labeled Best Ever.

13. Clay says:

You know, it happens every damn year around this time, and every year I tell myself it’ll be different.

I had hoped for the best, but I’ve eaten more candy than I handed out, like usual.

cabbiesmacker: Could be top 10 LT? ahem

15. FastOil says:

Lowetide: I think the market believes the Oiler pick could very well be lottery. I’d bet it isn’t. However, it could be top 10 or close, and at that point I ask the scouts. If they tell me it’s not a deep year, I probably pull the trigger.

I enjoy that you’re talking strategy. For me it’s the meat. Perhaps I am too much direct to the point, but the fork is in and the coach is doing what seems right, the GM isn’t panicking.

Other than MacT picking the pocket of a panicking GM, we have for fibre: understanding the team system, new stats (which of the valid type aren’t likely until the NHL or fans get more data out there), the next draft, what management should be doing, and pieces on history. I love history – perspective and context.

16. David says:

Nightman_:
    LT,

cabbiesmacker: Could be top 10 LT? ahem

NHL Western Conference standings based on total points, November 1st 2011.

Dallas Stars – 16
    Phoenix Coyotes – 12
    Anaheim Ducks – 12
    Detroit Red Wings – 11
    St. Louis Blues – 10
    Calgary Flames – 9
    Columbus Blue Jackets – 5

Source: http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/index.cgi?month=11&day=1&year=2011

Final Standings

Dallas Stars 89
    Colorado Avalanche 88
    Minnesota Wild 81
    Anaheim Might Ducks 80
    Edmonton Oilers 74
    Columbus Blue Jackets 65

Source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20112012&type=con#&navid=nav-stn-conf

4 out of the top 8 on November 1st didn’t make the playoffs.

3 out of the top 4 didn’t make the playoffs.

Small samples are small samples.

Those who ignore history are doomed to make bad bets.

Goaltending and hot/cold streaks skew everything in the first month.

I’m not saying the Oilers make the playoffs, but they are not nearly as bad as their record, especially with a healthy roster.

18. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lowetide: Have you seen the bottom of the eastern conference. The draft lottery will live there.

Philly can’t be that bad with all that talent.

Florida has no money, so they’ll likely be there so I would guess the bottom 5 will be Buffalo, Florida, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg.

I can’t see the Oilers passing any one of Nashville, Minnesota, LA or Phoenix in the WC.

You have to remember the Oilers have a lot of games left against the WC powerhouses.

19. David says:

Woodguy: NHL Western Conference standings based on total points, November 1st 2011.

Dallas Stars – 16

Dallas Stars 89
    Colorado Avalanche 88
    Minnesota Wild 81
    Anaheim Might Ducks 80
    Edmonton Oilers 74
    Columbus Blue Jackets 65

4 out of the top 8 on November 1st didn’t make the playoffs.

3 out of the top 4 didn’t make the playoffs.

Small samples are small samples.

Those who ignore history are doomed to make bad bets.

Goaltending and hot/cold streaks skew everything in the first month.

What happened to Phoenix?

Good thing MacT seems to understand this. I think he’s the best thing that has happened to us in these dark years. Well after Taylor Hall.

20. FastOil says:

David: Never trade first round picks unless the trade is highway robbery in your favour. The draft is how you get players that you want for free instead of paying for them. If it’s top ten it’s the golden opportunity to get a mighty good player. Need to keep the pipeline continually pumping up talent.

Stastny
    RNH
    Gordon

Put Gagner on the wing. Even when he gets his sea legs he’s not going to play D. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. The Avs are in serious need of D. It will be panic city when the laws of hockey bring them down to Earth. Send NS or Smid. MacT might even get out of the first if he finds his inner Slats.

cabbiesmacker: Hey you’re welcome but all the credit should go to Oilers inept management. They’re so good they defy odds.

Smarter than all the rest ya know.

This is my opinion on Oiler management.

Everyone who doesn’t realize that Kevin Lowe isn’t the loudest voice or last word in the Oilers organization anymore isn’t paying attention.

He’s still a loud voice, but he’s not the last word.

He used to find useful Dmen under rocks and built a team that made it to the SCF so he’s not without merit, but you wouldn’t know it from the last 7 years.

Everyone, including myself, thought Kevin Lowe was Tambellini’s puppet master in the last 4 years of wandering in the desert, drafting high, and not making any good acquisitions outside of J.Shultz and they group left Tambellini at the cab stand in Edmonton.

Turns out that Kevin wasn’t a bad manager because he meddled and made bad decisions.

He was a bad manager because he let a subordinate make bad decisions for a long time without putting a stop to it.

Pretty sure that era is over now.

22. FastOil says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Buffalo might be easy pickings but the Rangers who just won their second home game of the season and have a very favourable schedule from now on, will pull away.

Philly can’t be that bad with all that talent.

In between doesn’t work. Be the best or be the worst. I am not saying tank, I am saying roster decisions become all about the draft, next season and trading, not this season. All in or all out.

David: What happened to Phoenix?

Oops.

Dave TIppett was the coach so the finished 3rd in the conference (since they won the Pacific) with 97 points in the Pacific division.

24. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Dallas Stars 89
    Colorado Avalanche 88
    Minnesota Wild 81
    Anaheim Might Ducks 80
    Edmonton Oilers 74
    Columbus Blue Jackets 65

4 out of the top 8 on November 1st didn’t make the playoffs.

3 out of the top 4 didn’t make the playoffs.

Small samples are small samples.

Those who ignore history are doomed to make bad bets.

Goaltending and hot/cold streaks skew everything in the first month.

Very different situation now with 3 teams from each conference and 2 wild cards.

In order to grab a Pacific Division spot, the Oilers would have to finish ahead of SJS (22 points) Anaheim (21 points) or Vancouver (19 points)

None of those is going to happen so it comes down to the wild card card race.

As it stands right now:

COL – .909

STL – .800

CHI – .731

PHX – .692

LAK – .643

DET – .615

MIN – .577

NSH – .542

CAL – .500

DAL – .458

WIN – .429

EDM – .286

If the Oilers won their next 5 games straight, they would have a record of 8-9-2 or 18 points which would likely leave them ahead of only Winnipeg, maybe Calgary. (Dallas has 2 games in hand)

You can’t get there from here.

25. lance says:

6 – J – K
    6 – 6 – 10
    J – 10
    J – J
    6 – 6
    J

Disclaimer: I've changed the scale midway and have been interrupted a couple times. Its pretty close though. I used Dailyfaceoff for line combos and capgeek for salaries. Injuries make a mess of lines so I had to wing a couple things.

A = 4 points, K = 3 points, J = 2 points, 10 = 1 point, 6 = no points.

Centre totals:
    CHI = 5, LAK = 10, STL = 7, PIT = 10, EDM = 9

Defense totals:
    CHI = 11, LAK = 12, STL = 14, PIT = 11, EDM = 7

Goal totals:
    CHI = 5, LAK = 4, STL = 3, PIT = 3, EDM = 1

Winger totals:
    CHI = 11, LAK = 13, STL = 9, PIT = 7, EDM = 14

To come close to replicating the balance of the other couple teams here, Edmonton is going to need to trade wingers for defense. And that means probably two of Hall, Ebs, Yak, and Hemmer. Cluster schmuster.

Balance.

26. FastOil says:

lance,

BPA says you get the best player available – which means the most value. If you had two chips on the table, would you pick the most valuable one or the one you liked the best?

The deal is that if you draft BPA, which you should, that player has to be converted into the team’s
    need. He must be made to look really amazing and traded for team need. Team need has to be addressed or team will be weak or not win, which is the point of all of this. Right?

Drafting BPA is the best use of resources but by definition means trades are needed to address roster imbalance.

27. David says:

FastOil: I generally agree with this. But what if as LT said the herd is thin, and the next first could get P Stastny off the Av’s? He’ll be 28 this season and has good underlying numbers. They’ve had him out there before.
    Stastny
    RNH
    Gordon

No way would I trade a top ten for Stastny. I don’t really like him much so I wouldn’t be too interested anyway. I don’t think the top of this draft is thin. Some really good looking players up there.

28. Dead Cat Bounce says:

FastOil:
    lance,

BPA is just an opinion and is often wrong.

Galchenyuk is a better player that Yakupov now and will likely always be.

But the Oilers picked Yakupov.

The Oilers selected the BPA in 2007 but Couture, Voracek, Pacioretty and Perron are making it pretty obvious Gagner wash’t the BPA.

29. David says:

If the pliers trade their first round pick or one of their top end players it has to be for a top paring defenseman or a top 2 center with very good size and jam. I think Stastny would be too much of the same.

30. G Money says:

Anyone know what’s going on with Tyler Dellow’s site? All I get is an empty page with his email in large font in the middle.

31. RexLibris says:

We need to remember that the old euphemism of a “lottery pick” isn’t entirely accurate anymore either. Trading any pick within the first 14 carries with it the chance, albeit slim, of being a potential 1st overall selection.

The term lottery pick needs to be redefined. I’d argue the term elite pick would refer to the top three selections in a draft year, typically where the upper echelon of drafted players comes from, with high pick being the 4 through 8 range and mid-range being 9 to 14.

All that aside, looking over this draft year and estimating that the Oilers probably end up drafting somewhere between 7th and 12th overall (yeah, a wide range, I know) then unless the player coming back is a plug-and-play 1st pairing defender (no, not Shea Weber quality, but at least a Mark Giordano-type) with low mileage I’m not sure it is a good deal.

The Oilers have very little in the way of potential depth scoring in their development system. If they want this roster to have more than a five year window then they’ll have to start that process sooner rather than later.

32. Zelepukin says:

RexLibris:

7-12? try 1-10.

33. RexLibris says:

Zelepukin,

I don’t think they end up that bad that long. There are other teams that don’t have the potential upside the Oilers could muster and there is already talk of selling off assets in Buffalo and Florida. Meanwhile Philadelphia is, well, Philadelphia. Logic says they can’t be this bad with that roster and yet… Of course, logic would suggest the same thing about the Oilers, so really, who the heck knows?!

34. RexLibris says:

Saw this on ON, apparently a twitter exchange between Eberle and MacTavish.

From Eberle: “Giving out the full bar this year. @Hallsy04 and I don’t take shortcuts.”

MacTavish: “@Ebs_14 @Hallsy04 Enough with the generous giveaways.”

Gotta love that sense of humour while everyone else is losing their minds.

35. McSorely Head says:

RexLibris:
    Saw this on ON, apparently a twitter exchange between Eberle and MacTavish.

MacTavish: “@Ebs_14 @Hallsy04 Enough with the generous giveaways.”

Gotta love that sense of humour while everyone else is losing their minds.

Ahem. Who’s going to break the news?

36. Nightman_ says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

That’s ridiculous, what’s your draft strategy for top ten picks?

37. dessert1111 says:

Rex, that MacT twitter account is a parody lol. I think it’s even @fakeoilersgm. Funny though.

38. FastOil says:

Dead Cat Bounce: BPA is just an opinion and is often wrong.

Galchenyuk is a better player that Yakupov now and will likely always be.

But the Oilers picked Yakupov.

The Oilers selected the BPA in2007 but Couture, Voracek, Pacioretty and Perron are making it pretty obvious Gagner wash’t the BPA.

You’re right, it is just opinion. Galchenyuk has a funny last name so screw him.

39. FastOil says:

And he had a bad knee. I don’t know, it’s all bad. Trade BPA for need.

40. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Nightman_:
    Dead Cat Bounce,

That’s ridiculous, what’s your draft strategy for top ten picks?

1) Never draft a goaltender.

2) Don’t draft a defenseman unless you are 100% sure he will be an impact #1D.

3) If it is all close, draft the best centre available.

41. Nightman_ says:

Dead Cat Bounce: BPA is just an opinion and is often wrong.

Galchenyuk is a better player that Yakupov now and will likely always be.

But the Oilers picked Yakupov.

So an alternative is to draft for positional need. How do we have a better chance of getting it right this way? We need a center, how do we know he will be the best center six years down the road? When is drafting ever not an often wrong opinion in the end? It’s about value, as fastoil said and risk assessment.

42. Andy P says:

I suppose we all like obsessing at times over this forum, but we have the players we need, mostly, we have the Coach, the financial backing, the sharp GM and the BCA – Best Coach Available.

Playoffs look like a faint chance but we don’t need to sell our young and we actually don’t want a lottery pick, because we already have enough skill. It all just needs a period of stability to all fall into place.

I think the best outcome for now is not to tank but to peak in the last 2/3rds of the season, taking names and kicking a$$ – Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Kings. At first just beat them and then kick their A$$ with speed and skill.

Please, do not trade our young.

43. Hammers says:

Don’t understand why you think Acton is better than Lander unless you think Lander is shit . Acton , not that good on PK , so so on faceoffs , No tougher than Lander , Gets nothing out of the 4th line . Has coach on his side ???? Why ??? . Was Lander handled well by management ? resounding No .Sorry LT this is one of the times I don’t agree with you . Far from it in fact . Seems to me your always looking for Pisani and for me Lander could be a Pisani . The guy handled right can be a difference maker .

44. kooler says:

Watching the TO game and noticed a lot of goals close in by TO. Once we are healthy….do we need a guy to clean up shots on every line…we have enough play makers / shooters.

Like to ease the minutes on the top lines so we can wear down the other team instead our own top lines. Don’t think a 4th line has to be a 5 min a night gang. i’m just an old oil fan but a couple play makers per line and a guy at the doorstep seems to be a pretty familiar model around the league that works.

I also think Lander can contribute more than Acton to the 4th…if needed a clean up guy on the 3rd. he would good at cleaning up Yakapov shots around the crease.

Here are my lines if we had a healthy group although i would trade for some stronger bigger cleaner uppers and possibly move Yakapov for a stong 2 way player.

Nugent-Hall-Perron
    Gagner-Eberle-Joennsu
    Arcobello-Yakapov-Lander
    Gordon-Hemsky-Smyth

Pitlick, Acton, Jones, Omark call ups for like backups.

Defense seems to be short on the point production compared to others teams…i noticed Larsen is near the top in points and shots in OKC….worth giving him some time on a line with a Ference and see if can help push the first pass. no more blind up the middle passes ie, TO game.

Smid Petry Fedun
    Ference Shultz Larsen
    Shultz Belov

So, any of this make sense?

45. stevezie says:

Was anyone else stunned at how little Steve Downie went for? Max Talbot is a nice penalty killer, but Downie appeared to have found some real chemistry in Colorado. His numbers are good and I thought he looked good in the Avs games I’ve seen.
    Now the cap-tight Flyers are holding his expiring contract. The Flyers team that might soon become a lot more interested in the future than the present. The Flyers who could really use a cheap defenceman.
    I know he is just as small as Gagner, but is there anybody in the league who is “harder to play against” than Downie?
    Lest I be accused of falling for mainstream foolishness: Downie does not suck. At all. There’s your net presence, your fuctional toughness, your push-back.
    Assuming he didn’t get traded for being a head-case (I don’t believe rumours, but I do acknowledge them) I would kick those tires hard. I know the Flyers just got him, but I think we have things they would want more than Downie.
    It’s cool that I posted this, right? Or is this the kind of trade speculation everyone hates on other boards that need not be named here?

46. stevezie says:

kooler,

I’d like to see Fedun and Larsen get some big-league time, but the team isn’t in great shape to break anyone in. There’s no one good enough to cover someone else’s mistakes, and right now we need our best six guys playing just to be competitive.

Last week I would have agreed that Fedun/Larsen are probably better than N.Schultz, but I’ve liked his last couple games.

I’m in no rush to bring anyone up- if they’re the real deal they’ll keep doing good things and will be just as worthy when the inevitable injury hits.

47. tsunami says:

Dead Cat Bounce: BPA is just an opinion and is often wrong.

Galchenyuk is a better player that Yakupov now and will likely always be.

But the Oilers picked Yakupov.

since you are so smart and know everything (better), why don’t you give us the BPA for every draft ? and just to avoid any misunderstanding, I mean future drafts not past :)

stevezie:
    kooler,

Fedun is a Princeton grad who is 24 or 25, and who has recovered from a shattered leg. He is the #1 D in OKC during the playoffs last year, and to start the year this year. It wouldn’t be like breaking in a 20-year old D.

If you are one of the “entitled” Oilers star young guns who are facing adversity of a long season with no hope of the playoffs yet again, and having to just gut it out, don’t you think having to see Fedun in the locker room every day will remind them that there are worse things than this long march through hell to get to the promised land.

49. prairieschooner says:

If there is a cluster at the top of the draft of players who are all considered to be can’t miss NHL stars.
    We have seen time and timer again that players draft order is not how they end up being graded once they establish themselves as players.
    If Yakupov is a shiny new sports car and we already have a shiny new sports car but we need an SUV Why not pick the SUV rather than the sports car that we know we are going to put in Kijiji to get an SUV
    We may find that when we want to trade our sports car there are not as good deals avaulable and we take less
    BPA is a very sound practice in most cases but not so much at the top of the draft