LANDER TO GET CALL?

Tyler Pitlick was injured today (knee) and Anton Lander is a healthy scratch tonight in the Barons game. Could it be? It does make some sense in that the Oilers need any available NHL calibre talent for the bottom 2 lines (and Linus Omark is less attractive as a depth forward/penalty killer).

Hockey can be a cruel sport sometimes. We wait.

79 Responses to "LANDER TO GET CALL?"

1. Jon K says:

Well, Eakins’ presser today suggested that the open point shots on the PP were not by design but rather fell at the feet of Acton and the forward PKers. In conjunction with Eakins’ comments a while back about having to essentially make do with the PK personnel he had, I think we can read between the lines and see that some PK help is on the way. Lander is the most logical choice. It’s tough for Omark but he’s just got too much skill on the wings ahead of him and apparently other teams aren’t interested in his services. Omark’s case really has the makings for one of those exceptional cases where, at the age of 30, Omark makes his mark in the NHL and people wonder how he didn’t get a chance until so late.

As an aside, I’ll be interested to watch how much PK time Eberle gets if Lander indeed gets the call. He’s been getting some, but it appears that he’s been a little out of position a few times and with his reach he doesn’t have much margin for error in that regard.

2. Bruce McCurdy says:

Funny how things work. Last year Lander got the call due to injuries, played 2 games, & got hurt. This year same exact thing happens to Pitlick, perhaps opening door for Lander.

In other news the injury gods are vindictive assholes. Fuck OFF already.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“However, it once again brings the following question to the forefront: how much do the Oilers value Linus Omark? A night after scoring 4 goals, just a few days after watching Ben Eager, Ryan Jones and Tyler Pitlick get the call, the club sends for Lander?”

Don’t worry. Omark will get the call. Eager, or Jones, or Hemsky, or anyone is bound to get injured shortly.

4. Bruce McCurdy says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Eager, or Jones, or Hemsky, or anyone is bound to get injured shortly.

and / or”

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I just realized we hadn’t mentioned it at all, but here’s 37′s line:

16:19; 1 shot; even +/-; 2 hits
    15CF 10CA 60.0%CF5x5

6. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I just realized we hadn’t mentioned it at all, but here’s 37′s line:16:19; 1 shot; even +/-; 2 hits15CF 10CA 60.0%CF5x5I don’t know what Eakins saw… but that’s a lot more TOI than the last time he played (6:55). I don’t know if he’s the one to replace 15 or not, but looks like he can fill role just fine (warning: tiny sample size)

I was thinking the same thing during the 3rd period… that Grebs had played well enough to earn another start.

Ford (Omark) Poor bastard.

8. TheOtherJohn says:

So to summarize: the Oilers are noticeably better but are, inexplicably, DFL in the West again and we are where we are because: we are unlucky; we’ve been on the road too much (horrific travel); we’ve had too many key players injured; and the refs don’t like us & call too many penalties on us.

With the Kings, Leafs & Wings immediately in front of us.

This could be the earliest we’ve been out of the playoff race this century.

9. TheOtherJohn says:

And we haven’t played the strong teams…… Yet

Olivier Roy is 80 minutes into his season and has a .927SP

11. TheOtherJohn says:

Oh and if we are not going to play Larsen in the NHL and Scuderi is injured. I expect that Pittsburgh might overpay for a right shooting offensive D. What do they have 8 LH D?

12. TheOtherJohn says:

I’m convinced! .927, call up Roy to replace LaBarbera

TheOtherJohn:
    I’m convinced! .927, call up Roy to replace LaBarbera

I think that’s a nice number for Roy, but he needs to build on last season and MAYBE be the AHL starter next season.

14. TheOtherJohn says:

I know

I was thinking with our record YTD that it would just be easier to take my $9,000.00 into the backyard in September and use it to start a bonfire with dry coloured paper. It would be quicker. Frustration is mounting. Want success so bad but geez

Has Parkatti given us a scouting report on Andi’s shoes yet?

Now that I said nice things about Roy he’s given up two quick goals. 3-1 SA, SP now .889 Now is the winter of our hope for the best.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Now is the winter of our hope for the best.

Now is the winter of our Discotent?

17. jake70 says:

Anton Karlsson – LW – 6’1 – 187lb-Frolunda —–> Current ISS 5th ranked skater. :-)

18. dawgtoy says:

Maybe Eakins could get skype up and running and ask Krueger what he did specifically to get the special teams working.

dawgtoy:

20. wheatnoil says:

dawgtoy:

What’s Petrell up to?

21. Rondo says:

Nurse only 1 assist so far tonight.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 4m
    Anton Lander a scratch tonight for @okcbarons in San Antonio. Likely call-up for Oilers methinks

23. bookje says:

I am beginning to think that Omark’s sideburns might be orange!

Poor kid.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wheatnoil: What’s Petrell up to?

He signed with a Swiss team:

and looks like he’s got goodish numbers for him so far:

BUT… hockeydb claims he’s no longer on the roster and the team’s own site doesn’t list him

maybe they pick him up. He’s be better than Eager and Gazdic on the 4th line and he can PK.

Nurse grabs an assist, 13, 3-12-15 +2

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Just so we’re all on the same page…

If Eakins does go with 7 D and doesn’t call anyone up…

19 plays RW, right? or is it 37 to F?

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Just so we’re all on the same page…

If Eakins does go with 7 D and doesn’t call anyone up…

19 plays RW, right? or is it 37 to F?

I’d put 37 up. Schultz is a defenseman, let’s not confuse him.

28. bookje says:

Lowetide: Christ, if I’m Eakins I’m running around the Oiler offices disabling skype every chance I get.

He might want to shut down his twitter account as well. It’s hard to say how casual Lowe and Katz have gotten with regards to firing people.

29. bookje says:

I’ve shifted gears to just expecting it to turn out like always .

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje: He might want to shut down his twitter account as well.It’s hard to say how casual Lowe and Katz have gotten with regards to firing people.

Run away from all pigeons.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I’d put 37 up. Schultz is a defenseman, let’s not confuse him.

You think the effect of one game would be that strong?

Romulus Apotheosis: You think the effect of one game would be that strong?

I don’t think it’s good to confuse defensemen when they’re young.

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Thanks Gord Mark Lee is doing the WPG game.

So, who calls the CAL game and what the hell happened to Rick Ball? (maybe he calls the CAL game?)

Lowetide: I don’t think it’s good to confuse defensemen when they’re young.

Fair enough. Can I confuse them when they are older?

34. Schitzo says:

Hey, does anyone know off the top of their head whether the 40-game limit for rookie players was pro rated for the short season last year?

If not, wouldn’t it have made sense to play Yak for 39 of the 48 and have him for 7 more RFA years?

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Thanks Gord Mark Lee is doing the WPG game.

Fair enough. Can I confuse them when they are older?

and there you go… Rick Ball

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Schitzo:

I don’t know the answer.. but 7 more RFA years sounds great!

CAL 1-0 Russell

37. Schitzo says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I only gave it a quick skim, but “Accrued Season” is defined as 40 games, and I’m not seeing any adjustments for the short season.

So, did the team make a deliberate choice to burn an RFA year, or did they not even realize that they had a choice?

Greg Chase has a hat trick in the first period. That kid is acting like the modern Bobby Clarke.

39. Numenius says:

Chase is 8th in WHL scoring. 16, 13-9-22

Not bad for a 7th rounder.

40. Captain Smarmy says:

Chase is alright but Scherbak is where it’s at.

15, 9-14-23

Go Blades!

41. TheOtherJohn says:

Fortunately with Bucky & S Smith as assistant coaches returning from last year they can explain what team did on PK & PP last year.

42. Racki says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    In other news the injury gods are vindictive assholes. Fuck OFF already.

Bruce… NOOOOO! *covers ears*

43. sliderule says:

The oiler goalies are 53rd and 59th in save percentage.

Everything else on the oil is white noise.

Goodnight

44. elpolodiablo says:

I think at some point Eakins will need to produce some wins or lose his job. I don’t see how he’s building on the talent. At least with Krueger you saw positive strides with the development of the young players this is crap.

45. Dead Cat Bounce says:

elpolodiablo:

I can see MacT behind the bench by December 1st.

46. denny33 says:

TheOtherJohn,

Take solace….

We won the coris war against Washington….

And – it is early!

Watching the embarassing flames get lit up by the same Washington capitals team….oh wait…Calgary is …forget it.

47. CrazyCoach says:

OK, the Oilers lose again, the Cards can’t hold a lead, and I’m too sick to go watch a prospect at the Cougars game. This may not be positive.

It is disheartening to a team to watch your goalie whiff on a consistent basis. Eakins may want more blocked shots, but he can only make so many excuses in protecting the fragile egos of his goalies.

Eakins hasn’t convinced me as a coach. Maybe he should pay less attention to how many deadlifts Hemsky is completing on his Wednesday workouts, and more time wondering why his PK can’t isolate a PP to one side of the ice. Really makes me wonder especially when a guy like Ted Nolan was available?

Another year of finding another team to cheer for in the playoffs

48. eidy says:

Tough times. have an abundance of defensemen ready for NHL time and we have had 7 forwards on the IR accounting for 49 missed games as of tonight. don’t piss off the hockey gods.

Having the worst and 3rd worst goalie (by save percentage) is what is killing this team. It has cost the oilers vs the Jets, Maple Leafs, and today. They just can’t seem to get that big goal or big save. Arcobello today and against Toronto had a chance to go up two in the third. There was another game where is was Hemsky.

I don’t remember a more disheartening start by record, but man is it fun hockey to watch. The defensive zone coverage has improved. Corsi improved. If the game would slow down for Nail, but by eye he has been better the last 2 games.

I don’t know why there is such a backlash vs Eakins. With the exception of the Vancouver game, every other game they have looked better. Man they could use a win tomorrow….. Why does it have to be LA.

49. Zelepukin says:

eidy: I don’t remember a more disheartening start by record, but man is it fun hockey to watch.

by fun do you mean incredibly frustrating?

50. eidy says:

Zelepukin,

yes, it is frustrating, but not as frustrating as the past few years when they were lucky to win. This year they have been unlucky to lose. 4 GAA is horrible and I almost want Yakupov to blast one into his own net just to get the feeling of scoring again:)

Forwards are better, defenseman are better, corsi is better, goaltending and special teams have been horrible. that can’t last forever, it will balance out. Tomorrow would be a good start.

I really wish they would set up yakupov on the side wall for a one timer. He is wasted below the goal line. I think RNH might be better down low than Yakupov, thinks faster, softer passes. hell it can’t be worse.

51. G Money says:

CrazyCoach: Eakins hasn’t convinced me as a coach.

eidy:

Having the worst and 3rd worst goalie (by save percentage) is what is killing this team.It has cost the oilers vs the Jets, Maple Leafs, and today.

Yeah, I don’t get the hate for Eakins either.

If this team had league average goaltending, we’d be about 7-3-1 or so right now.

Again, I sound like a broken record, but here’s yet another view into the fact that overall this team is actually DOING OK other than really shitty goaltending and some regular bad breakdowns on the PK:

That’s the scoring chance data from the Cult of Hockey project if you don’t bother to click.

The Oilers (overall – that’s including all situations) have outchanced the other guys in 7 of the first 11 games, with one tie. No doubt today’s game will fall into the outchance category as well.

Some have been dominating performances.

I can see this as I watch the game. I can watch the Oilers not score on five outstanding chances, then give up two goals on two chances the other way. Like today.

This is why watching the losses mount has been so frustrating.

The team is not playing that badly, and those who refuse to acknowledge how much better this team is (or put another and probably more accurate way – just how shitty Ralph Krueger’s team was) are watching through the lens of the record and no deeper.

Once the missing four players get back, and the goaltending gets sorted out, and (hopefully) the PKers get their heads wrapped around their assignments, this will be a dangerous and much less frustrating team.

Firing Eakins would be a travesty.

52. Schitzo says:

Schitzo:

53. Racki says:

Schitzo: Not to beat a dead horse, but am I the only one agitated about whether the team blew an extra RFA year?

I would think that it would have been 40 games still. This is kind of an interesting point about the 40 games though.. sitting him for 9 games to save the extra year might have been an astute thing to do. However, at the same time, doing this benefits the organization, not the player.. so what does that say to Yakupov, I guess?? The Habs didn’t do this with Galchenyuk either, and I’m not sure if any other teams considered doing this.. so I don’t think the Oilers are a bad org for not going that route (you could pick on them for several other reasons, however).

54. Racki says:

Also, remember Yakupov was in a race for the Calder.. while he said it didn’t matter to him.. how much of a piss off is that to rob him of that opportunity? Didn’t win it, but still…

55. G Money says:

That’s a really good question. Wonder if there are any CBA experts out there to answer?

I imagine it was pro-rated.

If not, if the opportunity was there last season to let Yak sit for just 11 games and gain another RFA season, that is yet another indictment of the Tambo regime. Especially since Yak went into that deep dark funk for about 25 games through the middle of the season, just like he’s in now, and sitting for 11 of those games probably would have been good for him and the team.

56. Ribs says:

Could’ve called up Jordan Martinook if they had made that deal from my dream last night, hah.

57. Andy P says:

With the progress we have seen with the roster and he underlying stats I think MacT and ChickenHawk have earned the rest of this season and all of next to get to the playoffs.

Just like I think we will not see what this team really has to offer until 20-30 games into this season.

Except, those ongoing injuries. Haven’t we used up our official quota yet?

58. Ribs says:

Quick website note… The Behind The Net link on the main page is pointing to the wrong site.

59. Dead Cat Bounce says:

How ’bout them Flames?

60. Bruce McCurdy says:

eidy: I almost want Yakupov to blast one into his own net just to get the feeling of scoring again:

Seemed to work for Arcobello on Saturday. Perfect deflection, post and in wasn’t it?

Maybe eventually that’ll happen for him at the good end. You’d think.

#siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

61. Bruce McCurdy says:

Schitzo: am I the only one agitated about whether the team blew an extra RFA year?

No, there’s a few other beancounters out there saying the same thing. It might work that way in NHL ’14 or whatever, but in the real world with real live breathing people, there is much to be gained by taking the high road and dealing with your employees — even entry level ones — with decency and dignity. What sort of message would it send? “Hey Nail, we’re going to Fuck you over. Because we can.”

Sure you get an hypothetical eighth year of “control” of the player, but for what. Oilers have already extended their previous two #1 OV’s through their first ten years, and you’re going to weasel the third guy on a loophole? In the process of messing with the guy over one year, you’re going to greatly increase the likelihood he’ll bolt when the time comes, be it after eight years or (my greater fear) three. Furthermore, you will make the organization look classless (and with good reason). Sorry, guys, but I am vehemently opposed to this kind of stuff.

For you business types that want to push every subclause of the CBA, do a cost-benefit analysis on this puppy. To me it’s way too risky and low-class a move to be worth what is a pretty nebulous advantage.

62. "Steve Smith" says:

G Money,

63. Andy P says:

There’s a whole bunch of Russians looking at how we treat Yak.

64. Andy P says:

Except for bad luck and poor goaltending we could have won this game?

Eakins is probably correct that we coulda shoulda woulda won this game with a couple of goals in hand. He and MacT are doing a much better job than it seems, I hope the Oiler Fandom doesn’t stick the failed Tambo rebuild on them and gives them this season and next to contend for the playoffs. We’ve had so much churn on Coaches and now, this year, players, as they sort through the chaff to find the gems, and so many injuries.

Although injuries should not be such a big deal if the replacements step up and play like Calgary…..

65. Andy P says:

BTW Jon Willis only gave 3 players a game rating of less than 5 this game, with LaBarb getting 2, and Smid and Arco 4 each.

Seems this blog is not alone in thinking that the team continues to improve in spite of its win loss record. As long as they stop the 4-1 blowouts…. (this pending the LA game which could be surprisingly close or quite ugly).

66. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The thing about Yak and the 40 game limit is that he just has to be on the roster for the games to click away… meaning you’d have to keep him in the KHL through last year’s training camp (abbreviated) and through the first 8 regular season games.

———-

Bruce McCurdy:

67. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oiler re-tweeted Stauffer last night re: Lander:

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    –> RT @Bob_Stauffer Anton Lander a scratch tonight for @okcbarons in San Antonio. Likely call-up for #Oilers me thinks.

68. Southern Oil says:

Oilers just recalled Richard Bachman, What gives?

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Southern Oil:
    Oilers just recalled Richard Bachman,What gives?

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    #Oilers have also recalled goaltender Richard Bachman (@Bacher31) from @OKCBarons.
    ExpandReplyRetweetFavorite
    16m
    Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    #Oilers recall Anton Lander (@Landie51) from @OKCBarons.
    7h

Labarbs has not impressed. that or a possible injury.

You gotta feel a little for Todd Nelson.

1) Two years ago, they took away all his defensemen via call-up and injury, and he had to cobble together a defense composed of Bryan Helmer and a bunch of ECHL guys. And he scratched his way through a couple of playoff rounds.

2) Last year he started the season with all the OIlers offensive talent, but a bunch of rookie defensemen and Teubert and Plante, and both Teubert and Plante literally fell in the abyss of nothingness. Then, in mid-season, they took all the Oilers away. But the ECHL replacement forwards (Cornet and Rajala) rocked, and the rookie D stabilized and became studs. They added an AHL vet or two. And they deserved a better fate in the AHL playoffs, than losing in 7th game for a shot at the Calder Cup.

3) This year, they have taken all his forwards away. And now his goaltender. And it one massive scramble again.

71. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Edmonton Oilers✔ @EdmontonOilers
    ExpandReplyRetweetFavorite
    16mEdmonton Oilers✔ @EdmontonOilers
    #Oilers recall Anton Lander (@Landie51) from @OKCBarons.
    7h

Labarbs has not impressed. that or a possible injury.

There must be an injury. LaBarbera just has to sit on the bench for the time being (that is, even if he’s not playing well they don’t need to actually use him).

I suppose they could be giving a carrot to Bachman too though since the Barons don’t play again until next weekend. Just like they’ve done with the various D they’ve called up without actually playing them.

Confirmation on Lander too. Not a surprise since he didn’t play last night. Omark MUST be next in line, unless he really made an impression during camp…

I guess the message to Dubnyk is win today or its Bachman Tuesday Overdrive against Toronto.

Two guaranteed wins on the next road trip, right? Florida and Philadelphia. Plus an Eakins revenge game against Cooper in Tampa.

73. jp says:

godot10:
    You gotta feel a little for Todd Nelson.

1) Two years ago, they took away all his defensemen via call-up and injury, and he had to cobble together a defense composed of Bryan Helmer and a bunch of ECHL guys.And he scratched his way through a couple of playoff rounds.

2) Last year he started the season with all the OIlers offensive talent, but a bunch of rookie defensemen and Teubert and Plante, and both Teubert and Plante literally fell in the abyss of nothingness.Then, in mid-season, they took all the Oilers away.But the ECHL replacement forwards (Cornet and Rajala) rocked, and the rookie D stabilized and became studs.They added an AHL vet or two.And they deserved a better fate in the AHL playoffs, than losing in 7th gamefor a shot at the Calder Cup.

3) This year, they have taken all his forwards away.And now his goaltender.And it one massive scramble again.

Well, that’s the lot of an AHL coach/team. Roll with the loss of your best players to the big club. Bachman will be back in OKC for Friday, and they’ll get a few forwards back once the Oilers are healthier. No doubt all those D they have will get used once injuries hit the back end in Edmonton too.

GDT is up.

75. Bruce McCurdy says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I think this is a strong point, but I would note that in cases like Klefbom, where it is an open question whether and how long he should be playing in the NHL this year (or a player like Monohan, Maatta, Ristolainen, etc.), it seems pretty harmless to converge developmental and contract-savings interests.

I don’t disagree, in cases where they naturally converge. Klefbom is a good example. But there’s a difference between development & screwing a guy over, which is what the Yakupov hypothetical suggests. Far better to deal with the guy straight up IMO. (Which they have done.)

76. G Money says:

“Steve Smith”: I’m on basically the same page as you, right down to being a member of Team Optimist despite predicting from the beginning that the Oilers wouldn’t be in the playoffs, but how much of this is score effects? The Oilers have spent a lot of time playing from behind, and such teams tend to have inflated (to the good) shooting differentials. I do NOT want to be seen as siding with Godot, here (that play sounds terrible), but he may have a point in focusing on Corsi/Fenwick close.

I think we haven’t really seen score effects – from watching the games, what I’ve seen is an Oiler push that is immediately “rewarded” with a goal or two against. This scenario then repeats – team pushes, team loses. A telling statistic in this regard is that the Oilers have won just a single game when scoring first, which I believe they’ve done eight times? (correct me if I’m wrong, working from memory here), while the league average of teams winning when scoring first is very high, like 60 or 70%.

So the end result is the Oilers seem to ebb and flow independent of the results they are getting on the ice. But they’ve let in so many easy/soft goals (their 5×5 close sv % is the worst in the league) that the close numbers just don’t tell you much right now. Their shot numbers are reflective – my interpretation – of the fact that they’ve been far behind so often even in games where they’ve dominated.

I remain of the opinion – based on watching the games, and looking at the shots, chances, and Corsi after the fact – that the Oilers have been the better team in more than half the games they’ve played and been burned by a horrendous PK and even worse goaltending. I am an “optimist” only in the sense that I believe the goaltending will sort itself out, and the PK will get better (though by how much I’m not sure). This means going forward the team will see results closer to their balance of play. Nothing more.

In fact, given the odd branding of myself as an optimist, I’m kind of waiting for the inevitable hot streak – when the gunners go red hot and Dubnyk is impenetrable despite more mediocre metrics that indicate the team record is *better* than its balance of play. Then I can throw some cold water on the fans who will be talking about playoffs and Stanley – the same ones no doubt now braying about how bad the team is – and remind them that the team really is not that good and this too shall pass.

77. wheatnoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

This is an important point. It’s not “40 games played”. It’s actually counted by days on the active roster. Thus, the Oilers could not sit Yakupov for 9 games and save an RFA year. They would have had to send him down to the CHL, as he was not eligible to go to the AHL. That gets messy because Yakupov didn’t play for his CHL team but rather played in the KHL. Also, once a player is sent down to the CHL, they can not be called back up.

The Oilers sent Yakupov down to the “CHL” at the beginning of the year, before the lockout (as all teams did with their Junior eligible players), and were only able to call him up at the start of the year due to a one-time loop-hole the NHL allowed. The NHL required teams to list players that were Junior eligible who they would like to call up when the lock out ended. The Oilers chose Yakupov and Musil, if I remember correctly. I’m not certain, but I doubt the Oilers would have been allowed to use this loophole 10 games into the season. I would imagine the intent behind it was for the team to call up players so they would begin the year with the team, as they do in a normal season.

Thus, I’m not sure the Oilers would’ve been able to save an RFA year without sending down Yakupov and being unable to call him back up except in cases of an emergency recall. Also, I suspect the “40 game” clause was pro-rated, since the “10 games” rule for junior eligible players was pro-rated, if I remember correctly.

All of this is in addition to Bruce’s post above, which I also agree with.