LEAFS AT OILERS G14, 13-14

The Edmonton Oilers got a lift from Richard Bachman Sunday night, and there’s word now that the troops will be returning over the next 7 days. Sam Gagner, Taylor Hall, Ryan Smyth, Jesse Joensuu–that’s a better trade than any you can make on the open market, and it’ll give the Oilers a better chance to catch up after their dreadful 3-8-2 start.

Azorcan3

dreg3r ggner

POSSIBLE LINEUP

• Nuge-Perron-Eberle
  • Gordon-Arcobello-Hemsky
  • Gagner-Jones-Yakupov
  • Acton-Gazdic-Lander
  • Smid-Petry
  • Belov-J Schultz
  • Ference-Grebeshkov
  • Bachman

I like Perron on the top line, that trio has to score and Perron should give them a lift.  The 2line features a couple of veterans along with Arcobello who has been moving the play in the right direction this year. I have Gagner-Yakupov together because for me that’s the ideal C for the young Russian, and Jones is the best available winger for them.

I’m absolutely certain you’ll want to throw your line preference in the comments, please feel free. This might be the most fun we have all day!

Defense brings Grebs back in and we assume Dubnyk is still nursing an injury, so it’s Bachman. It’ll be interesting to see what happens on Saturday should Bachman post a quality start tonight–he might get this job without a stumble, although I’d bring Dubnyk back in when he’s ready to go.

binkley2

That’s Les Binkley in goal (a great story), with Peter Stemkowski the Leaf C and he’s being checked by Al MacNeil of the Penguins (this would be 67-68). If you click on the photo you can get a good look at the Leaf uniform (this is a beauty, vintage SC 1967) and the players and fans in back.

I don’t have much to say about tonight, beyond:

1. It’s a home game for the Leafs
  2. They usually win games while getting outshot
  3. They will probably win and outshoot the Oilers tonight

The Oilers? The Oilers are a team in the National Hockey League. Beyond that, I’ll wait to see what happens tonight and in the 6 or 7 games beyond it. I think we owe this group that much time, but after that we’ll have to figure out what the hell we’re going to discuss all winter.

ullman2Norm Ullman played for both of tonight’s teams, he was a  terrific player (among the best Edmonton born players in my lifetime, along with Johnny Bucyk, Mark Messier, Scott Niedermayer, Jarome Iginla, Phil Russell and others). That’s not really fair, Ullman is from Provost which also produced Curtis Glencross in the modern era. I saw Normie Ullman as a WHA Oiler, it was a great thing. Bruce McCurdy has been talking recently about those WHA days, if the season goes sideways early maybe I’ll scout around and see what I can bring you. Would that hold interest? Too boring? Let me know.

hall hit gif

How much does this team miss Taylor Hall? A lot.  The fleet winger I like to call “Chance” (because he causes so many) really opens up the  ice and rattles the other guy with speed and a willingness to drive to the net. Tom Benjamin has a brilliant piece up in which he says of Hall “I think he is probably the best player in the West” and is a brilliant look at the Leafs and advanced stats. Much of what Benjamin is talking about speaks to our recent conversations here on this blog.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

water

10 this morning, TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy from Cult of Hockey. We’ll talk about wonky goaltending, Hall, the price to pay on the trade market.
  • Steve Dangle from Leafs Nation. We’ll preview the Leafs home game tonight at Rexall.
  • James Mirtle from the Globe and Mail. Mirtle has become the best source available for Leafs coverage, with both ‘real news’ stories and bona fide analysis using advanced stats. We’ll talk about this team’s success, and why the analytics world keeps waiting for a market correction.
  • Lisa McRitchie, Kukla’s Korner. Lisa has a terrific article on Mitch Moroz up and we’ll talk about it along with a few other WHL stories.

10-1260 via text and @Lowetide_ on twitter. This will be a fun morning!

497 Responses to "LEAFS AT OILERS G14, 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. rich says:

@ Nuckout.

They got cheered off…by the Leaves fans.

2. justDOit says:

Gret99zky:
    …So I think I know a little bit about winning, if there’s ever a concern.”—Kevin Lowe.

He knows a little bit about winning, or a bit about winning little?

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RMGS:
    The Leafs are not an outshooting team, but this game is a perfect example of score-effects on shot differentials.

I was thinking the same thing.

At 5×5 they basically turtle and ride hope in the goalie until they can create an odd-man rush. Once they get the lead, that tendency just becomes more pronounced. It’s a crazy system.

4. russ99 says:

Something has to give. 13 games in and the worst record and most goals scored against in the conference.

It’s one thing to lose ones like this on the road in the middle of a trip and another to lay an egg like this at home.

Seems our lines and systems are working in their stated goal re: good stats in possession, faceoff percentage, shots, Corsi; everything except goals for vs. goals against – which counts the most.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

flyfish1168: His teams goaltending has been hot and they are winning. That’s what we want.

We want to ride percentages?

No. We want to be a team that has it’s true talent matched by it’s actual success with wins.

6. Dee Dee says:

Fire the coach?

Yah sure, cause that worked so great the last 4 times they’ve done that.

There must be someone, someone who’s been around for the last 8 years of this crapfest who is well past their expiry date.

Naaaaaah, let’s just fire the coach again.

If we start burning through multiple coaches per season the odds say 1 will stick.

Someday.

7. Andy P says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    Maybe they can send down Eakins and bring up Nelson?

That is absolutelty the best idea I think I have ever heard. In fact, fire Eakins and his staff, and bring in Todd with all of his staff.

But more sensibly, if Eakins continues to fail like this, bring up Todd and his staff and start working towards next year. We have good enough players, we need a coach who can make something of them.

I would not surprise me if Eakins resigned pretty soon. This is really bad.

8. Nuckout says:

justDOit: He knows a little bit about winning, or a bit about winning little?

Dallas Eakins said it best “Roger Neilson told me I’d make my mark as a coach, because I wasn’t a very good hockey player.”

It goes both ways. Great defenseman. Horrible at management.

I think the Oilers do something. Not a trade per se, but something. That was a pretty bad display by well paid professionals.

10. hags9k says:

Gret99zky,

Uh Kevin, THERE’S A CONCERN!! If this man has any clue, wants to save his good name, isn’t completely out of touch, and truely wants to move the Oilers ahead, STEP DOWN ALREADY!! ENOUGH. Sorry for yelling…

11. OilBuzz says:

Nultz
    Klefbom
    Fedun

Dubnyk
    Labarbera/BTO
    2nd rd pick.

So… you’ve re-signed Hemsky, Dubnyk, Labarbera, Bachman, Jones, Gazdic… Drafted Reinhart… and that’s about it?

Interesting offseason! Tambo-esque.

13. russ99 says:

#1 best move right now – can the Boys on the Bus assistants and pay whatever it takes to get Paul Maurice out of the KHL and in as an assistant.

Eakins has good ideas and has potential, he just needs all the help he can get and he’s saddled with 2 assistant coaches from the losingest era of Oilers hockey just cause they played with Gretzky.

Wanna change the culture, ditch the “4 rings” nepotism.

14. wordbird says:

Matt.N:
    The one thing I like about being an Oilers fan is that it can’t get worse.

I can think of a way it gets worse: We fans get to endure another disappointing season full of lousy hockey, watch useful players get traded out at the deadline, miss the playoffs for the 8 straight year, finish dead last AGAIN, hear the usual excuses and rebuilding talk blahblahblah…

Then, with the 1st overall pick, the Edmonton Oilers are proud to select… Sam Reinhart, who immediately upon donning an Oilers sweater wheezes and bursts like Clark Grizwald’s holiday turkey.

15. junglerot says:

Unfortunate that Perron was sick. I think he could have made a difference tonight. Oilers missed his tenacity on the forecheck and net presence. He’s been hitting some posts lately, might have been the guy to jam one past Reimer.

16. Nuckout says:

Logan91:
    Hahahaha

Oh. My. God. He’s the Napoleon Dynamite of the NHL.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

What options are there?

Fire a coach? Maybe one of the Assistants? I don’t think that shakes up the team.

Send someone down? Bring someone up? That’s been done… the options are thin here. Omark probably helps… but not that much.

Free agent signing?

For all the cathartic joy… I don’t see how firing KLowe moves the dial on the ice right now. He’s got nothing to do with the on-ice product right now.

Anything else?

18. hags9k says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Sorry, should have clarified my little exercise was just trying to predict what roster work of art we will be given next fall by TBOTB.

19. G Money says:

A change is needed. Every game – can’t buy a goal when you deserve one, can’t buy a save when you need one. I understand score effects, but jeezus, how do you outshoot a team 43-26 and lose 4-0, FFS?

Fire Bucky. Fire Smith. Character players, bad coaches. You can’t fire Eakins at this point, but I wondered why he saddled himself with the same assistant coaches that have been around through virtually every losing year. If somethings gotta change, that should be it.

Romulus Apotheosis,

This team is no where near that.

Unfortunately.

Maybe after 9 years out of the playoffs.

If Scottie Bowman is dead by then then Kev can say “I have more rings than anyone in hockey, so if you want to know about winning, don’t worry about it, I know about winning”

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hags9k:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

It’s funny though… that is basically what Tambo would do, add a 1st OV and not much else.

22. fifthcartel says:

Agreed they should do something, but what is it that they can do?

23. Bank Shot says:

OilBuzz: While it’s easy for us to point at Mr. six rings and blame him for this catastrophe, weren’t we all fairly optimistic this summer/preseason when we saw the lineup taking shape? If you look at the names in our lineup, we should be winning games. Perhaps the D is still inexcusably bad, but I firmly believe the responsibility lies on the shoulders of Eakins and the players. They have no heart, and that’s not something you can address through a trade.

The roster looked marginally better then last season. Some of us were calling on MacT to find a true top pairing defenseman, and a real 4th line center, and a couple of actual two way wingers.

MacT sure didn’t do much to address the roster weaknesses outside of acquiring Ference. Didn’t add emough vets.

It might be time to stop blaming Kreuger for last season, or admitting Eakins is just as bad. Why he insists on running Yakupov out against other team’s first lines is beyond me.

24. Gret99zky says:

OilBuzz:
    … weren’t we all fairly optimistic this summer/preseason when we saw the lineup taking shape?

Uhhh, no. I sure wasn’t. I didn’t believe for a second that this was a playoff team.

Making minor/sideways moves to a perennial lottery team is not going to move them out of the basement.

Remember, this team needs to compete against the other teams in the West/League and not just with last years group.

That’s why I don’t understand the yearly optimistic predictions for the post season around here.

Love the team. Cheer for them. Watch the games on TV. But don’t buy into the phony baloney that KLowe and Co. are peddling year after year and let it distort your sense of reason.

25. D says:

kinger_OIL:
    D – I asked the same question after a few games: I said this franchise risks being ruined after 20 games for a generation.You think Shultz is a bad player or mailing it in because he is smart enough to see how bad they are.My last post ever:well maybe untill after the season is over , so I can again criticize the false optimism that this blog bought into the OIL.One thing I guarentee: next year this blog will say the OIL is a playoff team…. F@ck we are such supplicants…

To be fair, this blog is one of the few bright spots in this Oilers season. I agree with you though, this year is a franchise make or break in many ways.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

This team is no where near that.

Unfortunately.

Maybe after 9 years out of the playoffs.

Oh, I’m well aware of how bad this team is… but that is the goal, no? i.e., not hoping our goalie saves us from ourselves?

We’ve seen that bad movie. Now we are watching a different bad movie.

27. G Money says:

junglerot: Unfortunate that Perron was sick

Yes, the Hockey Gourds are certainly having their fun. RNH in? Hall out. Gagner back? Perron sick. I assume when Hall gets back it will be Eberle’s turn to sit.

28. fifthcartel says:

Any reason Eakins post game is delayed? Did they trade Eakins?

29. Clay says:

D:

Fixed it for ya…

We hoped for the best….

Not everyone.

Some of us expected the worst. Some of us were not going to be fooled again.

31. Nuckout says:

I’m waiting for Eakins’ post game. I’m curious to hear what he brings up as points of focus for tonight.

That in itself will be telling.

32. art vandelay says:

Just tuned in.
    Did the Oilers win the Corsi zone-Start Sledgehammer 5×5?
    I’m looking for positives here, people.

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

art vandelay:
    Just tuned in.
    Did the Oilers win the Corsi zone-Start Sledgehammer 5×5?
    I’m looking for positives here, people.

Hi Art!

34. justDOit says:

godot10: Not everyone.

Some of us expected the worst.Some of us were not going to be fooled again.

You are, un-aDaltreyated.

35. Kitchener says:

Nuckout:

That in itself will be telling.

Yes. Something about the summer’s plan isn’t working (injuries / reality / ____). Who blinks first?

36. rich says:

Someone said it earlier, I would like it if someone in the media asked Eakins why Gagner was against Kessel.

37. Clay says:

That blog post by Spector *spits* is telling, as are a lot of Eakins’s comments since the season started. He’s not afraid to call out people, and it’s only going to get more heated.

The cliche goes “you can’t fire the whole team”, so guess what – Eakins will be gone, and sooner rather than later. This team is a coach killer, and ironically it’s exactly for the reason Eakins stated – too many guys worried about the points in their stats column, and not about the ones in the win column.

38. gazdic999 says:

Two straight games where Hopkins gets clearly knee’ed and no response by Oilers. Why have a tough guy if you don’t give him a chance to send a message. In a 4-0 game why wouldn’t you put Gazdic out against Franson to settle the score. Eakins had the last line change and there was no excuse.

Back in the old days Sather would never have allowed this sort of thing without putting out Mcsorley or Semenko. Why dress tough guys if you never use them in certain situations??

39. Bad Seed says:

Funny thing, went to the game with my Japanese gf who has never been to an Oiler game before. The game is barely 2 minutes old when she says “the Oilers look weak”. I didn’t bother explaining about Corsi….

40. D says:

Clay: *To be fair, this blog is the only bright spot in every Oilers season since 2006.*

Fixed it for ya…

Thanks Clay. I stand rightfully corrected! :)

41. kooler says:

Swarm doesn’t seem to be working when you get caught up all the time although a lot of talent on the IR…..the talent on this team is getting picked off one after the other.

TO lines all have guys who can play hard in the corners and will push back….you need a Perron / JVR / Clarkson or a Simmonds on every line.

However good goal tending tonight…not much you can do about that.

42. Gret99zky says:

So do the Flames beat the Leafs tomorrow night to add to the misery?

43. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Bank Shot: The roster looked marginally better then last season. Some of us were calling on MacT to find a true top pairing defenseman, and a real 4th line center, and a couple of actualtwo way wingers.

It might be time to stop blaming Kreuger for last season, or admitting Eakins is just as bad.Why he insists on running Yakupov out against other team’s first lines is beyond me.

Good teams are built from the back end out.

The Oilers need an above average goaltender..

TWO top pairing defensemen.

A big, talented second line line centre.

Until they adders those needs, nothing else matters.

44. justDOit says:

Bad Seed,

A young Japanese woman considers the team as weak. Can’t argue that, unless she meant week. Then I’d say that we have a failure to communicate…

Bank Shot:

This.

Yakupov was matched against Ovechkin. And tonight against Kessel. Krueger would have been crucified for that by the blogosphere.

Yak just isn’t ready for that.

46. Nuckout says:

Eakins is way too calm, he almost seems weak and defeated.

Tick…tock….tick…..tock

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

fire-side chats!

48. justDOit says:

Gret99zky:
    So do the Flames beat the Leafs tomorrow night to add to the misery?

Well the Leaves didn’t look very tired when they left the ice. Their main dman, Phan-oof, played less than the rookie – so he’ll be ready for a b2b, and their #1 goalie is ready. I’m willing to say that TO runs their show as well. Especially after injuries to Whashisname and Daotherguy.

kinger_OIL:

Feel free to come back any time, Kinger Oil. You’re always welcome here.

50. Nuckout says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    fire-side chats!

“Did Andrew think we let up in the 2nd?”.

If you’re going to argue with the media, at least go full Tortorella and make it entertaining. Although you never go full Torts.

51. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    fire-side chats!

Effigy of KLowe?

52. Bad Seed says:

justDOit,

By the end of the game, I’m sure the 2-1/2 hours felt like a week to her. It did to me.

53. Southern Oil says:

kooler:

However good goal tending tonight…not much you can do about that.

I don’t know about the swarm conclusions. If you look at the 4th goal, Petry just gives it away. No sweat. No pressure – just “here take it”. Doesn’t matter what type of system you have if that type of mistake is going to be made.

I happen to agree with the coach on the presser quite a bit – more so than usual.

I think the season is done. But I still believe these guys are going to figure some of this stuff out. That’s probably a positive for next year

54. Ice Sage says:

Romulus Apotheosis: What options are there?

Free agent signing?

Anything else?

Firing both assistants and bringing in an established NHL coach (Laviolette? Crawford?) and one of Eakins’ choice to assist definitely qualifies as an on-ice shakeup. Work on special teams and basic team defense. It won’t save the season but something’s would be salvaged.

Removing Lowe would usher a new era of ‘anything better’.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m guessing it went like this:

probably, right?

Clay:

That just isn’t true. This team is full of players who aren’t greedy enough. It is full of pass first guys. It has a damned perfectionist in Hemsky who declined points because the play won’t be pretty enough.

Krueger got Nugent-Hopkins to commit to a 200-foot game against the better centres in the league last year, sacrificing a lot of offense. Hall got the 2nd most points in the West last year, but he was tilting the ice, and the Oilers went from 29th to 23rd.

Six Rings and all his cronies, MacT included, who have been here forever, are the coach killers. Was there a proper GM search for either Tambellini or MacT? MacT hired the 2nd guy he talked to without even conducting a proper coaching search.

57. Andy P says:

A talented offensive player is one who scores goals. A talented defensive player is one who prevents goals. Outside of that all you have is feathers and crap.

58. G Money says:

godot10: Hall got the 2nd most points in the West last year, but he was tilting the ice, and the Oilers went from 29th to 23rd.

Yes, tonight’s game was a result of Eakins not coaching Hall as well as Krueger did. About right?

59. Racki says:

*stabs self in eye repeatedly*

60. Racki says:

godot10: This.

Yakupov was matched against Ovechkin.And tonight against Kessel.Krueger would have been crucified for that by the blogosphere.

Yak just isn’t ready for that.

Did the Oilers have a line worthy of matching that top line? Those were some pretty sweet forward lines tonight…

61. Nuckout says:

G Money: Yes, tonight’s game was a result of Eakins not coaching Hall as well as Krueger did.About right?

Perron and Joensuu were even in +/-, that’s something right?

62. Ice Sage says:

VanOil:
    Eakins post game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxDD7ypSG78&feature=share&t=30m40s

Thanks for that.
    Poor coach, he’s the definition of beleaguered.
    We all know what happens to the deer in the headlights, just a matter of how long he’ll suffer before being put outta his misery.

Ah well. They got it settled early this year – even before the World Series was decided!

63. Racki says:

For you Corsi peeps.. the Oilers top line (Yakupov-Gagner-Eberle) killed the Kadri/Kessel line as far as Corsi goes…….

Eakins thoughts were just that it was just a difference in ability to finish.

(And the Leafs low Corsi voodoo continues)

64. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

This team is no where near that.

Unfortunately.

Maybe after 9 years out of the playoffs.

I was expecting Woodguy to come here and rationally point out that the Oilers are doing much better than last season and that the bounces will soon go their way.

Now I am just depressed.

65. Ribs says:

It’s okay guys. Eakins says the guys played well, they just didn’t score as many goals as Toronto did.

*facepalm*

I don’t know what to think any more. Does “bad luck” cost teams their seasons every year on a regular basis?

I just want whatever this is to be over. A three game winning streak would be wonderful right about now, please.

66. TheOtherJohn says:

Eakins does NOT deserve to be gassed but holy crap is this bad. Really really really bad!

Only in Edmonton could a young promising head coach get gassed while two assistant coaches who embody absolute brain dead failure sail along from coaching staff to coaching staff…. It would be embarrassing but we actually deserve what we get

Listening to Eakins post game: if he’s giving JSchultz a pass where all 4 Oilers below TO goal line is an acceptable play: he’s crazy

67. Racki says:

I’m going to start watching the rest of the season on Demerol….

Great game tonight, guys!!!

68. TheOtherJohn says:

Seriously: is this the earliest that the Oilers have been out of the playoff hunt this century?

69. bookje says:

Any chance that MacT decides to do a 1 for 3 trade – send out one of the young ‘untouchables’ for three Mid level NHL guys to fill the holes on the team and to bring some heart to the club?

70. Andy P says:

This coach should be able to build a winning team and these players should be playing so much better. How much poor play for how long by how heartless a team will force the Oilers hand to give up so quickly? Will MacT have to step behind the bench to save the season? Is Eakins actually finished?
    Are we giving MacT and Eakins as much a chance as we gave Dithers, Quinn, Renney, and Krueger?
    What say we just ignore the cluster until Game 30, then come back and see what is left? How long before Hall, Nuge, Eberle or Yak leave town?
    Why are these players so dispirited?

71. 719 says:

Something is going to give, not out of necessity but expectations.

Gagner’s first game back, Hall is still injured, Jonesuu is on IR… we haven’t seen what this team is yet capable of when everyone is healthy.

That being said something will give. I would not be surprised to see a trade involving Philadelphia and/or Buffalo soon. I do not see MacT going after Miller, but I do see him chasing Ott, Simmonds and Coburn. We wait…

72. justDOit says:

Racki:
    I’m going to start watching the rest of the season on Demerol….

Great game tonight, guys!!!

YESsss… Woo!

73. VanOil says:

In an interesting twist. We all knew due to injuries, to our Centers, that October could be rough. The twist being we had so many Centers by the end of October that for a little while tonight Eakins iced a forward line of all Centers. To bad about not having any of our top 4 left wingers.

Either way the optimistic hopes of a .500 record by the end of the month has not been achieved. Though it is Hall we are waiting for not Nuge it seems too late, the season is lost. 8 points out of a playoff spot after 14 games with the other teams having games in hand are bleak.

74. Gret99zky says:

We get our participation certificate early this year.

75. bookje says:

I think its time to fire Tambellini!

76. Andy P says:

It’s true that we have so many injuries but this team needs, dare I say it, Calgary’s level of fight. How bad is that?
    But this is not the time to do trades. Our players will all be undervalued right now, incoming players will want a huge premium to play on such a gord awful team, and any worthwhile self respecting player will stay as far away from this town as they possibly can. Yet, we have seen little tantalysing signs that show how brilliant this team can be. Is this the team that beat the Devils in the 3rd?

It’s just very hard to watch right now and it must be even harder to live either as a coach, a gm, a player or as a member of staff.

Has this team ever hit a valley this low? Why cant we be the team of the late 90′s that was always hard to play against, made it to the playoffs as a matter of course? What exactly TF has made the wheels fall of to this degree? Injuries? Is there a zombie in the change room that is eating the hearts of the players as they change into their equipment? Are their straps too tight?

Whatever. Whatever. It will be a wonderful day when this team rises again, and for that reason I will follow this team as long as I live here and likely even after I go and live somewhere else.
    Like being addicted to heroin I guess. You know its killing you but apparently you can’t live without it either.

77. LMHF#1 says:

Apparently they’re all down celebrating the big loss at The Rack (although that sounds like a cheezy attempt to get extra drinkers to stop by). How could you want to be seen in public after an effort like that?

78. In the Grease says:

LT, music video request for the next post : “That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore” – The Smiths

79. Dominoiler says:

Thought this post was hilarious, in a not-so kinda way..

Bad Seed:
    Funny thing, went to the game with my Japanese gf who has never been to an Oiler game before.The game is barely 2 minutes old when she says “the Oilers look weak”.I didn’t bother explaining about Corsi….

Can the Oilers get away with having smaller forwards if there are bigger D, maybe with some nasty no guff types, to be on the ice at the same time?.. Its seems to me that the oilers are leaning too heavily on the youngest of the corp,.. without enough solid vets, in key positions, the kids are being (exposed) run up against the premier players of the nhl (world class athletes, in their prime physically).. the kids have world class skill, and are fairly strong for their age, but there isnt much old man muscles in the lineup to push back with.. Gordon has been a good addition in this way, but he cant do it all (unless we are taking about defensive zone faceoffs).. anyways, guess the team still needs more nhl players..

80. nycoil says:

Rereading that tweet from Dreger above is humorous, at least. What boost? Anyhow, as I said a few games back, it is a whole lot easier to bear if you cheer for the team but accept they’re playing for next year already. Move on to the healing process and enjoy life. That means more nights out on the town than were planned originally!

81. Clay says:

Just because I’m a Debbie Downer…

And in case anyone still thinks it is possible…

Oilers need 88 points with 68 games to go. That’s something like 40-20-8.

Season is over, boys.

82. Hammers says:

NO EXCUSES . Gags line -4 . What the hell is Eakins doing especially with the last change ? RNH & Eberle have chemistry ; Gags & Yak had chemistry last year ; Gordon & Hemsky have looked good this year . I thought he believed in pairs then filling the 3rd spot . Fill in the other players for those pairs . He can try as many things as you want but it still comes down to Eakins system ; No heart ; Poor PP & PK . They look like boys lost .

83. Zelepukin says:

Clay:
    Just because I’m a Debbie Downer…

And in case anyone still thinks it is possible…

Oilers need 88 points with 68 games to go.That’s something like 40-20-8.

Season is over, boys.

ughh so depressing. What we do have left to cheer about, Arco for rookie scoring? If this was next season at least we’d have Connor McDavid to look forward to. Reinhart is good but do we really need another small playmaking center?

84. G Money says:

VanOil: To bad about not having any of our top 4 left wingers.

A.k.a. “ANY of our left wingers”. The Hockey Gourds continue their mockery. When Hall returns, my money’s on Eberle missing 10 games after accidentally getting run over by the Zamboni between the first and second period of Hall’s first game back.

85. G Money says:

Andy P: and for that reason I will follow this team as long as I live here and likely even after I go and live somewhere else.

Not sure I can take another games worth of the refrain of “outshot them, outchanced them, couldn’t finish, couldn’t get key saves, lost, blame Eakins” … I’m thinking of cheering for San Jose the rest of the year … I have an excuse, both sisters live down there and I almost moved down there a little before the tech boom.

The only problem is that I’ll watch a game that they’re supposed to win and they’ll actually, you know, WIN, and my head will explode.

86. stevezie says:

I just finished watching the game. I haven’t read most of the thread so maybe I’m about to reveal myself as an idiot, but I dunno, I thought it was okay. Definitely the best game I’ve seen the loser of a 4-0 game play in recent memory.

We got lots of chances. Some of the shot total was score-effect, but still. I thought a couple players had their best games of the season.

I also thought the reffing was great. Fun game to watch.

Everyone is tired of bad luck and injuries as excuses. Me too. The team looked disorganized at times and clearly lacks a calming influence on the back end or in net- The D do not stink, there is just no safety net player to cover mistakes.

It is far too early to give up on a coach with such a strong resume, but it is fair to be critical. I don’t know if it is a side-effect of so many new coaches in so few years, or the inertia of losing, or Eakins being rookie, but there are some issues. Line-changes, special teams, general confusion. Small mistakes like shooting when you should pass, stick-handling when you should shoot and juking when you should jive.

Tonight’s team did not look out-gunned. I thought our players were comparable to theirs, but our team wasn’t as good. This can be fixed. It is too late to make the playoffs, already, but it is not too late to lay the foundation of a good season next year or to recapture fan interest. Plenty left to cheer for.

87. stevezie says:

It was a limited viewing, but I liked the PP too.

88. danny says:

Man… Eakins spent about 5 minutes talking about how Nuges line outplayed their top line but got out finished. Finally some scribe corrected him with the Gagner matchup.

89. theres oil in virginia says:

I’m immensely disappointed by that game, but I can’t say that I’m surprised. I can’t count the times that the team has failed to get up for a game that the fans were up for.

What the fuck was Gagner doing on that 2nd goal? Rusty skate blades from all the time off? Sometimes it’s hard to like the players on this team.

90. russ99 says:

It seems odd that Eakins has these guys play ridiculous amounts of ice time, a creativity killing posession game on offense and a frenetic system on defense and wonders why we have so many injuries and why guys can’t “finish” in a crowd of opponents trying to poke it in rather than finding open ice for clear shots with rebound opportunities.

What’s that definition of insanity again? I’m not seeing any adjustment of the coach’s philosophy to the players he has.

91. russ99 says:

russ99:

And the fans wonder why they look flat.

92. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Still seems Jr is getting too many minutes on the back end. The kid should get strictly 3rd pairing time and pp IMO and focus on mitigating risks.

93. G Money says:

stevezie: I thought it was okay. Definitely the best game I’ve seen the loser of a 4-0 game play in recent memory.

All true. The problem is that you could make the same basic claim in about 9 of this season’s games, and the Oilers have a total of 1 win in those games. That outcome is going to happen on a regular basis to any team, but this often and this far in it gets really old. The irony being that in the other 5 games, where they’ve generally been outplayed, sometimes badly, they have two wins.

The storyline in many of those games is that the Oilers overall held the balance of play, but let at least one facet of their game go completely to shit. Many nights its been goaltending. Others its been special teams. Sometimes both. Last night it was the “dog whistle” – defenders jumping deep into the play and taking unreasonable risks to score early in the game, failing to score, and then inevitably giving up a goal the other way.

Such is life as an Oiler fan this season.

In fairness, you would also take into account injuries – the Oilers are an attacking team, and apart from a short stint when RNH came back, have yet to ice a lineup with more than three out of their top 5 point getters in. But that too exposes what seems to be a fundamental problem. Other teams, when missing a key player for a few games, up their battle level to compensate. The Oilers do not seem to. Is that even a fixable problem?

94. Romulus Apotheosis says:

OilBuzz: They have no heart, and that’s not something you can address through a trade.

bookje:

Andy P: How much poor play for how long by how heartless a team will force the Oilers hand to give up so quickly?

Hammers: No heart

It looks like Connor has some early adopters of the “Halley”

95. HugThePost says:

This year’s team is the mid-90′s oilers all over again in terms of how one just KNOWS they are going to lose. They are that hopeless at this point. What is shocking is all of the talent they have, but perhaps that is just a product of the great Oilers propaganda machine which has built these guys up and sold their hope so well.

We’ve been talking about this for years now, but it’s still here: the rot that leaves a team incapable of competing, seemingly not even wanting to do things that are needed to win is still here. I don’t know what that rot is, but it is definitely still here. You can see it every time JShultz lollygags in his zone and gives the puck away again. You can see it when Perron is the only guy mixing it up in a scrum after a whistle and the rest of the guys skate around looking at their laces hoping nobody grabs them.

Where is Ted Green?