LEAFS AT OILERS G14, 13-14

The Edmonton Oilers got a lift from Richard Bachman Sunday night, and there’s word now that the troops will be returning over the next 7 days. Sam Gagner, Taylor Hall, Ryan Smyth, Jesse Joensuu–that’s a better trade than any you can make on the open market, and it’ll give the Oilers a better chance to catch up after their dreadful 3-8-2 start.

Azorcan3

dreg3r ggner

POSSIBLE LINEUP

• Nuge-Perron-Eberle
  • Gordon-Arcobello-Hemsky
  • Gagner-Jones-Yakupov
  • Acton-Gazdic-Lander
  • Smid-Petry
  • Belov-J Schultz
  • Ference-Grebeshkov
  • Bachman

I like Perron on the top line, that trio has to score and Perron should give them a lift.  The 2line features a couple of veterans along with Arcobello who has been moving the play in the right direction this year. I have Gagner-Yakupov together because for me that’s the ideal C for the young Russian, and Jones is the best available winger for them.

binkley2

That’s Les Binkley in goal (a great story), with Peter Stemkowski the Leaf C and he’s being checked by Al MacNeil of the Penguins (this would be 67-68). If you click on the photo you can get a good look at the Leaf uniform (this is a beauty, vintage SC 1967) and the players and fans in back.

I don’t have much to say about tonight, beyond:

1. It’s a home game for the Leafs
  2. They usually win games while getting outshot
  3. They will probably win and outshoot the Oilers tonight

The Oilers? The Oilers are a team in the National Hockey League. Beyond that, I’ll wait to see what happens tonight and in the 6 or 7 games beyond it. I think we owe this group that much time, but after that we’ll have to figure out what the hell we’re going to discuss all winter.

ullman2Norm Ullman played for both of tonight’s teams, he was a  terrific player (among the best Edmonton born players in my lifetime, along with Johnny Bucyk, Mark Messier, Scott Niedermayer, Jarome Iginla, Phil Russell and others). That’s not really fair, Ullman is from Provost which also produced Curtis Glencross in the modern era. I saw Normie Ullman as a WHA Oiler, it was a great thing. Bruce McCurdy has been talking recently about those WHA days, if the season goes sideways early maybe I’ll scout around and see what I can bring you. Would that hold interest? Too boring? Let me know.

hall hit gif

How much does this team miss Taylor Hall? A lot.  The fleet winger I like to call “Chance” (because he causes so many) really opens up the  ice and rattles the other guy with speed and a willingness to drive to the net. Tom Benjamin has a brilliant piece up in which he says of Hall “I think he is probably the best player in the West” and is a brilliant look at the Leafs and advanced stats. Much of what Benjamin is talking about speaks to our recent conversations here on this blog.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

water

10 this morning, TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy from Cult of Hockey. We’ll talk about wonky goaltending, Hall, the price to pay on the trade market.
  • Steve Dangle from Leafs Nation. We’ll preview the Leafs home game tonight at Rexall.
  • James Mirtle from the Globe and Mail. Mirtle has become the best source available for Leafs coverage, with both ‘real news’ stories and bona fide analysis using advanced stats. We’ll talk about this team’s success, and why the analytics world keeps waiting for a market correction.
  • Lisa McRitchie, Kukla’s Korner. Lisa has a terrific article on Mitch Moroz up and we’ll talk about it along with a few other WHL stories.

10-1260 via text and @Lowetide_ on twitter. This will be a fun morning!

497 Responses to "LEAFS AT OILERS G14, 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. Caribbeerman says:

From the twin island republic of Trinidad. and Tobago (a country rich in OIL) we send you all our energy and passion with the sole intention of beating the evil empire of the Toronto Maple Leafs! Let Go Oilers!!

2. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

Have Gagner or Arcobello ever played LW?

I’d prefer Arco in the dot.

Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons:
    Have Gagner or Arcobello ever played LW?

I’d prefer Arco in the dot.

Gagner has, and I’m fine if he ends up at LW, but for me the appeal of Gagner-Yakupov is large. Every young player since 2010 to come through here had a veteran helper (Horc with Hall, Eberle) and imo Gagner should be that guy for #64.

Eakins agreed before the injury, suspect we see it again.

I like your lines better than mine.

I had:

26-93-14
    57-89-64
    28-27-83
    55-41-20

You hide 28 from harder comp and that’s a good thing.

I had 26 with 93-14 to help them with their harder comp, but 57 is a better fit there.

Also,

Is there word that 4 is coming back that quickly? Awful quick for a grade 2 sprain (usually 4+ weeks)

John Shanon of Sports Net had mentioned it was a grade 2 MCL.

Also,

Hopefully tonight is another night where they get some good luck to even out all the bad luck they’ve had.

Hopefully BTO pitches another game north of .950

I’m calling 5-3 Oil, Yak with 2.

Go Oilers!!

5. D says:

LT,

It took the most unbelievable week of Mike Morrison’s professional hockey life to convince the 05-06 Oilers that they could beat any team in the NHL. It didn’t matter that Morrison fizzled after that, the change in mentality was cemented. I’m hoping Bachman does the same. I’m doubly hoping that Bachman doesn’t fizzle.

6. goldenchild says:

Al I missed it but was there an update on Hall and Joensuu? 7 Days??? I was begining toworry we were going to get a Joensuu out for the year alert since it seemed so quiet.

I think we win tonight but probably get out shot by the team that cant out shoot. Thats the way this season seems to be.

goldenchild:

I think we win tonight butprobably get out shot by the team that cant out shoot. Thats the way this season seems to be.

8. G Money says:

I think the Gagner-Yak (gifted passer + elite shooter) combo is one you have to try. Together they get the butter soft minutes until Gagner is up to speed.

I am loathe to break up the Hemsky-Perron duo, though, as they’ve been the best players lately outside of Eberle.

Whoever gets Gordon is facing hard time.

Maybe something like (standard L-C-R):
    Perron-Nuge-Hemsky (all pushing the river right now)
    Arco-Gordon-Eberle (all have been pretty defensively responsible so far)
    Jones-Gagner-Yakupov (butter soft minutes)
    Lander-Acton-Gazdic (2 C on one l ine? The Oilers? whaaaaat?)

9. goldenchild says:

No worries I’ll yake your word for it. Getting Hall back within the week would be massive news, could help change the narrative around the team and give them an opportunity to forget the slow start and focus on the full roster record.
    Also helps my fantasy team!

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: The 2line features a couple of veterans along with Arcobello who has been moving the play in the right direction this year.

I’ll just be happy if they find a spot for Arco. At this point I can’t imagine them sending him down, but he’s had a couple of off(ish) games where everyone saw him “ok” (despite still posting decent corsi numbers) and Gagner is back.

Lowetide: I’m absolutely certain you’ll want to throw your line preference in the comments, please feel free. This might be the most fun we have all day!

RNH-Perron-Eberle
    Gagner-Omark-Yakupov (softs)
    Gordon-Arco-Hemsky (toughs)
    Acton-Jones-Lander

But… I wouldn’t be surprised to see this, given the beating we took against the LAK and how “heavy” a team the Leaves are:

RNH-Perron-Eberle (Perron is the heavy)
    Gagner-Jones-Yakupov (Jones)
    Gordon-Arco-Hemsky (Gordon)
    Acton-Gazdic-Eager (Gazdic/Eager)

Lander sits or gets sent back down. Or plays in Arco’s spot if Eakins really wants size upgrades.

———–

Lowetide: Defense brings Grebs back in and we assume Dubnyk is still nursing an injury, so it’s Bachman. It’ll be interesting to see what happens on Saturday should Bachman post a quality start tonight–he might get this job without a stumble, although I’d bring Dubnyk back in when he’s ready to go.

I think the media/fanbase is well acquainted with the “ridding the hot hand” narrative to concede Bachman the starting job until he stumbles (and he will) or there is something like a back-to-back. I don’t think we should worry about the 3 headed monster issue. If one of them actually emerges as successful, that’s a far more important item than that 23rd roster spot and limiting the competition amongst the fellows.

Lowetide: Would that hold interest? Too boring? Let me know.

As long as our old deal — you post photos and I comment on facial hair — holds, I’m good.

It looks to me like Ullman has the ole’ “separated moustache,” or “inverted Hitler,” deal going on. On separate and closer inspection, I was correct:

Now, the real question is… is that natural to his facial growth patterns, or did he maintain it that way? I’m guessing the former. He doesn’t look like a guy that grooms his face with a lot of concern.

I wonder if his wife and friends ragged him about that?:

“Hey, Ully! Where’s the middle of your moustache?”

11. tcho says:

Any update on Pitlick’s injury? I was really cheering for that kid.

12. Zipdot says:

I like Bachman. I think there’s some logic to smaller goalies being better. Howso? Well,

The puck is small.

Therefore the goalie should be small.

13. Ryan says:

The thing with Arcobello is that he’s nearly 53% on 200 faceoffs this season. Kind of a shame replacing that with a 43.9% Gagner (for faceoffs, at least).

I’m curious to see what happens to him when the rest of the troops return… He’s too good to send back down and I wonder how well he’ll do at wing if moved.

14. Zipdot says:

Lowetide: I can’t remember where I saw it (honest) but there was something about most of the group being back in the next 3 or 4 games.

I think that was a Stauffer tweet or somethin’.

15. G Money says:

Zipdot:
    I like Bachman.I think there’s some logic to smaller goalies being better.Howso?Well,

The puck is small.

Therefore the goalie should be small.

And the ice is big, so players should be big.

I think you’re on to something here.

16. Ryan says:

G Money: And the ice is big, so players should be big.

I think you’re on to something here.

And the Kings are big, so other teams players should be big too. This is great stuff.

17. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    Is there word that 4 is coming back that quickly?Awful quick for a grade 2 sprain (usually 4+ weeks)

18. LMHF#1 says:

They need to put Perron-Gagner-Eberle together. In the preseason this combo looked about right.

That also leaves you able to play Yakupov-Hopkins-Hemsky or Yakupov-Gordon-Hemsky, which I would love to see.

19. Racki says:

Woodguy,

You are looking at 60 shots against for 3 goals against with a .95 sv %…. Sounds doable for this team!

20. FastOil says:

So is Norm wearing Red Wing socks or did the Oilers use red then, I can’t remember.

21. Jordan says:

Woodguy:
    Hopefully BTO pitches another game north of .950

I don’t know who started this nickname.

I don’t care.

It’s wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

Thank you.

WRT the Oilers…. I really want to see this team get dirty.

People have been talking about truculence. About grit. About being hard to play against.

The players on this team don’t have the size to manhandle anyone. Nor do they have the killer instinct to try to make the really cheap plays to injure another player (preferably minor things like bumps and bruises, but sometimes escalation is necessary).

So, that really only leaves the dirty little things that can really throw the other team’s players off their game.

I think we all know the kinds of plays I’m talking about – the ones that force another player to doubt just a little whether trying to hit you is such a good idea, so they come in a 1/2 second slower just in case.

22. Mr DeBakey says:

Les Binkley was the very first Goalie scored upon by the Oilers.

He was in net for he Ottawa Nationals, Ron Anderson scored the first WHA goal.
    October 11, 1972

Love that Pittsburgh uniform

Racki:
    Woodguy,

You are looking at 60 shots against for 3 goals against with a .95 sv %….Sounds doable for this team!

Yeah I just threw a bunch of shit against the wall.

Standard.

Racki:
    Woodguy,

Here we go.

29 shots against adn 2 go in for a .931

5-2 Oilers.

Yak with 2.

GOOILERS!

25. russ99 says:

Sweet, Gags is back!

Lines:

RNH – Arcobello – Eberle (RHN-Eberle pair)
    Gagner – Perron – Yakupov (Gagner-Yak pair)
    Gordon – Jones – Hemsky
    Acton – Gazdic – Lander

26. RexLibris says:

That picture of Ullman looks strikingly like Billy Dee Williams. Maybe that is what this team needs, the power of Colt .45 – It works every time!

27. russ99 says:

RexLibris,

Is he wearing Red Wings socks with an Oilers jersey??

28. pboy says:

bookje: You forget that Oilers heal faster than other NHL players. It’s the Kevin Lowe effect.

I’ve got 6 Rings Bitch!

29. TheOtherJohn says:

If we get solid goaltending it will be a game

30. leadfarmer says:

Based on MRI
    A grade 1 MCL sprain is fluid adjacent to the MCL
    Grade 2 MCL sprain is thickening of the MCL
    Grade 3 is interruption of the fibers of the MCL

So grade 2 actually can vary quite significantly from grade 2 injury to another grade 2 injury

31. oilersfan says:

woodguy

if the oilers play jones with Gordon and hemsky doesn’t that mean he will face the toughest comp there is? I would rather put him with gagner and yak on a soft minutes line and put perron with hemsky and Gordon to face 1st toughs, nuge et all against second toughs.

32. Racki says:

russ99:
    RexLibris,

Is he wearing Red Wings socks with an Oilers jersey??

I’m going to guess that picture was taken before style was invented.

Woodguy: Yeah I just threw a bunch of shit against the wall.

Standard.

The funny thing is, I could see it happening after that last stinker. Funny how much they relied on goaltending in that one. Superb performance and still couldn’t win. Urgh.

33. hunter1909 says:

Jordan: If there were one reason I would want Messier involved in this team, it would be to teach these skills.

Seeing KLowe’s 2 time captain up in the gondola looking relaxed next to a Bucky that looked like he was either desperately to duck being seen by the camera or is so terrified re impending sacking….

Nah. Moose is going to be making a call to Slats, and Bucky will be a Ranger Assistant Something soon.

KLowe takes one look at Moose and sees his replacement. If the team doubles it’s current pace and goes 6-16-4 that replacement bell calling for ‘Six Rings’ starts ringing, lol.

34. hunter1909 says:

Leafs visiting. Big night ahead for Chickenhawk.

35. Hall Awaits says:

@Hope_Smoke: Dreger “Oilers have gained the reputation around the league as the easiest team in the NHL to play against so far this year”

Oh good…..

Seriously so fucking tired of this bull shit.

We suck.

36. hunter1909 says:

Hall Awaits: “Oilers have gained the reputation around the league as the easiest team in the NHL to play against so far this year”

I blame the majority of Lowetide bloggers who strongly advocate non-physical hockey:

This which is then read by the more intelligent of the Oiler players and passed on to the dumber ones, which also includes management at the highest levels.

ps: Fantastic user name, btw.

37. G Money says:

As some of you may recall from previous posts, two of my sales staff here in Cowtown are Maple Leafs fans (the third one is a Canucks fan).

This morning, one of the Leafs fans left the following on my computer:

The accompanying trash talk email (sent to all staff, other folks are generally Flames or ‘Nucklehead fans) was: “The Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club is giving away free tissue paper to all Canucks, Flames and Oilers fans on this Western Canada road trip. It’s not often things come in this world for free so get in on the action.”

Man, I sure hope the Oilers win so that tomorrow I can give them back to him and say “Here, you need these more than I do.”

‘Cause if they don’t win, I probably have no choice but to fire him, and you know, pesky labour laws, etc.

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Zipdot:

The puck is small.

Therefore the goalie should be small.

39. Hall Awaits says:

Maybe they need to listen to more Slayer before the games instead of all the techno garbage…

Anger the blood a bit.

I hate being that negative fan, but good god enough is enough. I know it doesn’t help our entire left side (sans Perron) went down on that trip but come on! We’re just getting murdered out there. We face a scenario where we could be all but out by Christmas.

Hall is this team and until we trade heaven and hell for a Lucic type were going to get run out of the rink by the Kings, Sharks etc of the league every time.

Love the daily posts and optimism LT. I honestly do. But today I feel defeated more then I have since June 2006.

40. RexLibris says:

And thankfully Gagner is back in time for Movember.

leadfarmer:
    Based on MRI
    A grade 1 MCL sprain is fluid adjacent to the MCL
    Grade 2 MCL sprain is thickening of the MCL
    Grade 3 is interruption of the fibers of the MCL

When I had my MCL stretch out on my I was told that:

1) damage but no tears (some fiber damage)
    2) slight tears in the fibers
    3) big tears/detatchment

Am I off on that?

Are you a physio person?

leadfarmer:
    Based on MRI
    A grade 1 MCL sprain is fluid adjacent to the MCL
    Grade 2 MCL sprain is thickening of the MCL
    Grade 3 is interruption of the fibers of the MCL

This kinda dovetails with my info: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/knee-pain/mcl-sprain

Is that how the 3 different ones show up on the MRI?

43. Bos8 says:

What? Gagner’s picture doesn’t strike fear in the opposition?

Pampers

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris:

Lando! Thanks for that.

45. Numenius says:

Home game for the Leaves? Isn’t it in Edmonton or am I missing a joke?

46. TeeVee says:

Lander sent back to OKC.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TeeVee:
    Lander sent back to OKC.

Sounds about right… I thought there was a very real chance Eakins would want Eager/Gazdic going tonight.

48. thejonrmcleod says:

I’m not sure if anyone posted this above, but the news about Hall coming back soon is from Stauffer’s blog on Oilers.com.

“On the injury front it is possible that Hall and Gagner, who finished 1-2 in team scoring last season, could be back within the next two to four games.”

49. TeeVee says:

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 5m
    Oil lines

Eberle Gagner Yakupov
    Perron RNH Arcobello
    Smyth Gordon Hemsky
    Eager Acton gazdik

If this is accurate, then Jones or a dman heading south.

50. OilClog says:

Oilers being the easiest team to play against.. More bulletin board material for Eakins? How about the fan base? I believe we too fail at making Skyrim a hostile place to sharpen a sword. HACK THE BONE!!!!

51. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy,

Yes that is the grading on MRI. Grade 1 is fluid adjecent. Grade 2 is thickening due to disruption of some fibers but ligament is grossly intact. Grade 3 is complete disruption of the ligament. So grade 2 can mean mild thickening to really thick and still graded the same. I am a radiologist, interventional actually but I recently did my boards so this stuff is still fresh. If you are interested in examples see:

52. delooper says:

OilClog:

The only time I run into Edmontonians in Victoria is when I go ice skating.

TeeVee:
    Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 5m
    Oil lines

Eberle Gagner Yakupov
    Perron RNH Arcobello
    Smyth Gordon Hemsky
    Eager Acton gazdik

If this is accurate, then Jones or a dman heading south.

Oiler’s twitter feed has this:

#Oilers morning skate lines –> Yakupov-Gagner-Eberle, Arcobello-RNH-Perron, Jones-Gordon-Smyth(Hemsky), Gazdic-Acton-Eager

I take that to mean that Smyth was spelling off Hemsky as he gets up to speed.

I’d pick Eager to be the next one down, but I could be wrong.

Interesting that Eakins is running 64-89-14, that line will draw the top pairing and I though he’d shelter 64 a bit.

I like 83 with 27.

Helps with the heavy lifting and for offence 83 needs one guy to go to the net with his stick on the ice and one to help in corners.

That’s why Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky worked well, and 27 plays its the same as 10 (except he may shoot better….)

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy,

Yes that is the grading on MRI.Grade 1 is fluid adjecent.Grade 2 is thickening due to disruption of some fibers but ligament is grossly intact.Grade 3 is complete disruption of the ligament.So grade 2 can mean mild thickening to really thick and still graded the same. I am a radiologist, interventional actually but I recently did my boards so this stuff is still fresh.If you are interested in examples see:

Very cool! Thanks!

So if Hall is coming back within 2 weeks, that pretty much has to be a level 1 right?

55. FPB94 says:

Isnt it our favorite Coke Machine being subpar (but scoring goals!).

Holy shit youre telling me all those skilless big guys we drafted all suck ? They didnt find their offense while playing against better players ? Well shit. Who would have tought.

Oilers scout explain ”Well, we picked the tallest white guys we could find in local gyms”.

On a sidenote I’m pretty sure even Luke Gazdic doesn’t know why he’s playing so much.

56. spoiler says:

LT said:

How much does this team miss Taylor Hall? A lot. The fleet winger I like to call “Chance” (because he causes so many) really opens up the ice and rattles the other guy with speed and a willingness to drive to the net. Tom Benjamin has a brilliant piece up in which he says of Hall “I think he is probably the best player in the West” and is a brilliant look at the Leafs and advanced stats. Much of what Benjamin is talking about speaks to our recent conversations here on this blog.

That article was worth it for the Mirtle responses in the comments section. And he too agrees on Hall being the best player in the WC.

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

OilClog: I’m in Victoria, it’s really a town of wandering Canadians and hipsters. Yet all hockey fans I converse with here, they all same the same thing. “You Oiler fans are absolute die hards”.. It’s kind of crushing what’s happened to the team.

delooper: I also find most Victorians don’t know anything about skating, ice hockey, or even that there is a thing called the NHL. They have some vague idea that there’s a country east of Vancouver (called the other part of Canada) but they’ve never set foot in it.

I grew up in Victoria and I’m happy to confirm this. When I was a kid, I’d guess of the minority of us who cared about hockey 50% were nuck fans and the rest were all over the map. That ratio is basically mirrored by the adult fans.

The only real “diehard” fans I recall were myself (Oilers), a flames fan and a Patrick Roy fan (I don’t recall him being a habs fan… but he loved him some Roy).

Considering it rarely gets below 0 in Vic, skating isn’t really a thing. The fact that Jamie Benn is from Vic still doesn’t make sense to me. I would be happy to lay money down that he is actually from Sooke or Langford or something.

When the Cougars left for PG… it was a horrible day. I loved that team.

58. Zipdot says:

Romulus Apotheosis: To extend this thought, perhaps, because the goalie’s main purpose is to stop pucks, he is in fact materially caused by, or simply made up of, very small pucks.

Maybe to STOP pucks, he needs to START a few pucks. I.e., take a trip to InGlasCo and get in on the puck manufacturing line…

59. Ribs says:

ryandittrick
    Bachman first off the ice. Looks like he’ll start tonight vs. #Leafs

*crossing fingers* Hope lightning strikes twice.

60. fifthcartel says:

Bachman starts…. nice.

61. barry.moore23 says:

I like the idea of more Slayer in the dressing room. Non-stop Slayer …….

Let’s go out and get this one, boys.

62. spoiler says:

I’m going to assume 26 is with 93 to take the draws when they are on the ice.

Has anyone figure out how we are able to carry 3 goalies on our 23 man roster that also has Potter active? Did we get another 48 hour exemption? Is Doobie on the IR?

Sorry, if I’ve missed it.

63. G Money says:

leadfarmer: I am a radiologist, interventional actually

Small world – my brother-in-law is an interventional radiologist, as is a friend in Edmonton.

64. dessert1111 says:

I’m in Victoria and most hockey fans I see are nucks of course, but I’ve seen quite a few oilers jerseys and hats, easily more than any other NHL team. Maybe one of these days I’ll gather some courage and wear my oilers jersey around town.

65. malinpaul says:

What about moving Gordon to fourth line center and dropping Acton.

RNH
    Gag
    Arco
    Gordon

At full health (so Hall & Joensuu back etc.) what lines would you build around this? Also if (BIG IF) Omark keeps scoring 4 goals a game he will get a another look, so what then.

66. G Money says:

Woodguy: I’d pick Eager to be the next one down, but I could be wrong.

Unless he’s replaced with an actual NHL player, this might not be a good idea – our fourth line has actually NOT been a black hole of suck since Eager replaced Brown. If all they do is spell off the big lines for seven minutes a game, keep it even on the scoring, and lay some big hits, it is a 1000% upgrade on last season (or even earlier this season).

67. Hammers says:

I for one would like to here what happened to Ullman , BJ McDonald , Bill Flett , Hamilton , Dave Dryden and all the rest . Agree Normie was a great player and made his bones with Detroit . As for tonight . Arco / Gags & Yak ; RNH / Ebs & Perron ; Gordon / Hemsky & Lander ; Acton Jones & Gazdic would be my call .

68. Bad Seed says:

Hall Awaits,

Somehow I knew you were a Slayer fan.

I say replace the tired ACDC tunes with some Slayer during the games.

69. G Money says:

Pool ideas for the game:

- Which Toronto player will dangerously cheapshot which Oiler?
    - Which area will be targeted? (Knee, head, other)
    - Will it be called a minor on the ice, or no penalty at all? (those are your only choices, as those seem to be the only considerations the refs take into account)
    - How long will the Oiler be out as a result?
    - Will the Tor player then face Gryba (scott free), Clifford (fine), or Hanzal (short suspension) levels of discipline?

70. RexLibris says:

Maybe this is just me getting my blood up before a game, but with regards to the Oilers being the easiest team to play against, there are two solutions. 1. get the powerplay going, then the next time a player takes a shot at one of ours (Gagner, Hall, Petry, etc) and the Oilers score on the man advantage it’ll be punishment enough. 2. when a player sees someone coming in for a high hit, bring up an elbow or the stick – take a game or two in suspension but at it’ll make someone like Clifford think twice.

I was wondering about this topic yesterday with the number of suspensions that have come as a result of hits on Oiler players this season. MacIntyre is not the answer, so it is either get dirty like Hall’s hit on Clutterbuck last season or get a whole lot more lethal on the man-advantage.

71. G Money says:

RexLibris: Oilers score on the man advantage it’ll be punishment enough

The thing is, of the three cheapshots that have taken out Oilers, only Hanzal got called, and only a minor at that. Until the refs actually pull their heads out of their asses – around the time that pigs fly, hells freezes over, and the Leafs win the cup – the idea of getting elbows up does nothing but leave the Oilers consistently short-handed. And with the PK in the toilet, its a recipe for continued failure.

Not proposing a solution, mind you, I’m just feeling a little down and pissy this morning.

72. oilersfan says:

anyone know what Joensuu’s back injury is about? he seems to play one game miss 6 games play one game miss 6 games…I have a feeling they will end up shutting him down for the season before he plays any string of 10 games or more

73. FPB94 says:

About 20 of 30 fanbases think their team is the easiest to play against.

74. denny33 says:

Great point by LT. I was thinking the same thing about Taylor Hall.

Without his incredible speed of the wing – there just is not nearly as much room created for his linemates.

I think we match up well against the leafs and if we can tighten up defensively…we should win.

* Really not a fan of Ben Eager – not sure what he does, at all.

* Linus Omark is producing down in the AHL. 6th in AHL scoring ( granted more games played)

Love the idea of having Gagner play on the 3rd line.

Is anyone else starting to really like Belov more and more ?

Not just his obvious passing skills but he actually physically take out players and
    *retrieves* the back back from the opposition….

75. Ryan says:

Courtesy of Gregor:

The Oilers are 3-5-1 vs. the Eastern conference, while the rest of the west is 49-14-7.

The Oilers are 1-4 vs. the Metropolitan division, while the other 13 teams in the west are 26-3-3.

Wow.

76. TheOtherJohn says:

The Oiler skilled players are undersized. Realize that is irrelevant to success in the NHL but if you were coaching against the Oilers wouldn’t you tell your guys to finish their check? Absolutely.

Not sure anybody throws up on the chalk board when playing LAK, Ana, STL, SJS make sure you finish your checks. Oilers- yup

77. Clay says:

G Money:

This morning, one of the Leafs fans left the following on my computer:

I know a good HR contractor here in yyc, you can bring her in to do the firing. Takes the sting out.

78. Ice Sage says:

1. More team toughness is indeed needed – can’t be compartmentalized into 1 or 2 marginals. Bring on the Moooooose!
    2. Victoria produced the Courtnalls. Benn was from Saanich / Peninsula north of Victoria (where the ferry lands). The Royals are a good, well-supported WHL team and are developing prospects that could very well populate the Oiler prospect ranks in the next few years.
    3. Oilers always overplay length of injuries these days – probably getting with the misdirection ploys that are so common. Am waiting for the inevitable ‘he has an out-of-body injury and is expected back in 1 to 34 weeks’.

Goil – show Clarkson he’s dumb

79. denny33 says:

G Money,

RexLibris: Oilers score on the man advantage it’ll be punishment enough

*******************************************************************************

If there is one learning in the 100 or so years of hockey – refs will NEVER be the solution to most problems on the ice.

I mean – there are 4 of them out there now!!

If there is one thing that scared me playing hockey it was the opposition cursing ” our power play will get you back !”

80. spoiler says:

21m
    Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers Coach Eakins says #Oilers defence remains the same. Smid-Petry, Ference-NSchultz, Belov-JSchultz pairings vs. Toronto.

81. spoiler says:

Are we calling Gagner “Bane” while the face shield remains in place?

82. bendelson says:

Bad Seed,

Didn’t J. Schultz name Nickelback as his favorite band?
    That is a long, long way from Slayer…

And kind of sad.

83. russ99 says:

TheOtherJohn,

This is reason 8034 why we need a physical shutdown third line.

That’s physical as in how they defend, not being a bunch of goons or cheap shot artists.

Give em back as good as we get. That’s how we stop this and still have dynamic skill players and not 12 hulking lunchpail trap, dump and cycle forwards

84. Andy P says:

Numenius:
    Home game for the Leaves? Isn’t it in Edmonton or am I missing a joke?

The latter, we have a lot of Leafs fans here. Couldn’t get work in the Center O The Universe.

85. Bos8 says:

An oops, elbow in the chops does everyone a world of good. A bit of trash talk in the face off – “Next time it’s a butt end in the chicklets” serves as a great pacifier.

Hall, Pitlick and Nuge – You’re talking possible career ending injuries here. The Oilers are hobbling and the League is playing pattycake. So far it’s more luck than good management. This has to be dealt with, as in yesterday. There’s a crying need for proactive self defense.

86. OilBuzz says:

Bad Seed:
    Hall Awaits,

Somehow I knew you were a Slayer fan.

I say replace the tired ACDC tunes with some Slayer during the games.

I say pump some viking death metal into the room

87. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

RexLibris,

When Perron piles into someone and the other team jumps in, I’d like to see our guys avoid ‘the look down and do a quick circle to see if the scrum dissipates’ behavior they show too often. Too many times I’ve seen Perron pop up or look around and the boys are hanging back. Must drive him (and players of his ilk) crazy to see the hesitation to engage and scrum. It’s not about fighting or being tough to play against per se, but an acknowledgment of camaraderie and solidarity and not giving an inch. That tendency to not immediately click to jump in and grab a shirt is something I hate to see in our players. Its an attitude and hockey is a physical and testosterone heavy sport that demands it.

Our skill guys too often want everyone to play nice and let offensive skill be the convention for deciding games. When teams talk about the Oilers being easy to play against this is one aspect in my opinion. Scrums and engagement are an unnecessary inconvenience for a lot of these players. If I can see it in my living room, I know the opposing team sees it sitting on the bench. This is an aspect of culture that needs to change and they must follow a guy like Perron and agitate and stand up as a collective unit. Make the statement. Some of this is youth, some is their individual DNA, but they have to change it and stand up for one another in action – not just words after the game. It invites the brazen attitude other teams get during a game to run them and intimidate in even the littlest actions.

A little more edge and a lot more solidarity are in order. I’m hoping to see more.

88. RexLibris says:

G Money,

I agree. The Gordie Howe solution is more one of a fan who has had enough with watching smaller players beaten on by larger ones. I’m a firm believer in the “it’s not the size of the dog in the fight…” school of thought, so watching smaller players victimized by thugs really rankles me and eventually I get to the point where I just want a pound of flesh.

To be perfectly honest, if it meant giving someone like a Clutterbuck or a Torres a concussion and putting them out of commission for a few games, I’d almost welcome someone like Nugent-Hopkins sitting for two minutes and a game or two.

I recall a couple of seasons ago when Daniel Briere cross-checked an opponent in the face/neck right off a faceoff and was suspended for several games (6, maybe?). Many reacted with shock, but Rob Brown commented on a game day colour segment that this kind of thing makes the other players look at you differently. He recalled how when he was in junior his coach told him he was allowed two majors a season, just to make people think he was a little crazy and give him some space.

It is a sad state when you have to spear, slash or otherwise feng shui someone’s dental work to get some respect in this league, but if it comes down to that or having a Pat Lafontaine kind of injury history, I know which I’d choose.

89. RexLibris says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic,

Yeah, I’ve thought the same thing. The reaction you are looking for is usually one we see from Smid in clearing his own crease.

Gagner and Hall are the only two that immediately come to mind with that kind of fire. Nugent-Hopkins has it, but it usually only manifests if he’s taken a cheap shot. I think it was last season that he was cross-checked after scoring and he immediately cross-checked the defender back. You could see him losing his temper and getting really ticked off.

I liked that kind of response.

Its a shame that we can’t fast forward to having Moroz and Chase in the lineup. That kind of nasty would go a long way to balancing this roster.

90. Bos8 says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:
    RexLibris,

Absolutely

They have to break out of the rep.

91. cabbiesmacker says:

Not much to say today. Just checking out the last picture in the original post and mulling whether the Oilers may be able to snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat tonight.

92. Factotum says:

This may be interesting only to me, but most of the native Oregonians I meet have never been to Canada. Of those that have, the vast majority have only ever been to Victoria. They think the rest of Canada is exactly the same, only colder and snowier.

My daughter’s boyfriend recommends playing Lamb of God in the dressing room. “Walk With Me Through Hell” in particular seems appropriate for the Oilers. All I know is that whenever I’m forced to listen to death metal it always increases my personal truculence index (although some of the intros are very cool indeed).

93. KSC10032 says:

russ99,

WRT — “red socks gate” Ullman joined the Oilers for the 1975-76 season. The prior year (1974-75) was the year of the WHA “Team Canada” series vs. the Soviets. Training camp for the WHA group was in Edmonton. Subsequent Oilers training camps used up leftover Team Canada `74 gear, as WHA teams were necessarily frugal prior to the merger of 1979.

So that`s where the red socks came from.

BTW — I`m another sad old-timer who used to attend WHA training camps, and watched — from the stands — some Oiler teams that sucked in ways today`s under-50 fans cannot possibly comprehend.

94. Bad Seed says:

bendelson,

In stark contrast to Janne Niinimaa who loved him some viking death metal!

95. Racki says:

spoiler:
    Are we calling Gagner “Bane” while the face shield remains in place?

Bagner? (Bayne – Yay)

96. Zipdot says:

Pantera – Walk, Cowboys from Hell, F*ing Hostile… These all add a bonus to the PTI…

97. OilClog says:

This team needs to learn the term, “dog pile”. 10 swinging fists are mightier then two. If the league, refs are going to fail at protecting its players from dirty injuries. “Dog pile” next player to take a liberty gets “dog piled” and thus this continues until the game of hockey can be played again. Only way to get the respect of the opponents as it stands is to rip their teeth out and hang them around the neck as a reminder. Until this team starts standing up for eachother, they’ll never take that next step. Doesn’t matter who gets brought in or who stays, they need to make some insane statements if they want to turn this “image” around.

98. Logan91 says:

Racki: Bagner? (Bayne – Yay)

Ganger in Bane voice: “Oh, so you think ice is your ally? But you merely adopted the ice. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn’t see the NHL until I was already a man, by then to me it was only a league. The ice betray you because it belong to me.”

99. Logan91 says:

Racki,

Or the next time the Oil play Van,

Ganger to Kassian in bane voice: “So you came back to die with your city?”, “We both know I have to kill you now. You’ll just have to imagine the fire.”

100. bendelson says:

Bad Seed,

#44
    Indeed.

I’ll go with zipdot and give the nod to F*ing hostile.

I’d consider it a bonus if it’s from Belov’s collection.

101. spoiler says:

Back in the day (80s) Motorhead was our dressing room truculent tunes of choice.

102. stevezie says:

Racki,

The fire rises.

103. justDOit says:

spoiler:

There’s a great story told by one of the former roadies for Motorhead, where the skinheads showed up at one of their concerts and started picking fights with the crowd. The band jumps off the stage and, with the road crew, sent the skinheads packing.

104. Lois Lowe says:

The documentary on Lemmy of Motorhead is amazing. That man is pure rock n roll.

105. hunter1909 says:

Oiler’s arena music: proudly announcing a 15 year culture gap.

106. Racki says:

Logan91:
    Racki,

Or the next time the Oil play Van,

Ganger to Kassian in bane voice: “So you came back to die with your city?”,“We both know I have to kill you now. You’ll just have to imagine the fire.”

I’m crashing the net… WITH NO SURVIVORS!

stevezie:
    Racki,

The fire rises.

To Hemsky..
    Ahh yes I was wondering what would break first… Your spirit or your body.

107. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I give Slayer the nod.

Speaking of death metal and Vic. I hung around with some of these guys in my teens:

One of the better bands to come out of Vic, though they are probably more associated with Van… of course, the best “hockey related” band to come out of Vic but to be more associated with Van is these guys:

(note the old Vic. Cougars Jersey)

108. hunter1909 says:

RexLibris: I’m a firm believer in the “it’s not the size of the dog in the fight…”

In many ways a smaller opponent can be a lot of trouble, but a bigger one generally prevails.

In a team driven situation I can’t imagine how an undersized team is going to be able to take on all comers on any consistent basis, especially in an NHL where refs still put their whistles away on occasion.

Oilers probably appear like entitled snotty rich kids to other teams, and as a result it’s going to be another busy winter for the Injury List.

Plus the fact Kevin Lowe + his cronies are seen throughout the NHL as a bunch of incompetent, bungling idiots. Which of course, they are.

109. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Heart 3 inches of blood (and slayer.. One of my faves all time)

I envy Dallas Stars fans.. Lots of awesome music played in that arena at games

110. TheOtherJohn says:

Wholeheartedly agree Let me know when you sign a 23 year old Terry Ruskowski and a 25 year old Stan Jonathan

111. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Do we get Gagner or Doppelgagner tonight? Hope the healing went well and he is still game ready. Go Oil.

112. Bad Seed says:

Racki,

I’m with you. While the Oilers play dance music & shitty ACDC tunes for the housewives in the crowd, Dallas plays some pretty hardcore metal.

113. hunter1909 says:

Bad Seed,

I’d like to see Katz hire the world’s coolest DJ’s and each game the captive audience(Klowe category I fans) get treated to another wild light filled display of “e”nergy fueled wonder.

OIler fans = Washington General fans.

114. spoiler says:

hunter1909: The team should grow used to seeing this, unlike the opposition who will find themselves so dazzled from seeing the time outs that they won’t be able to play worth a shite and viola! Oilers are competitive.

I don’t recall the viola being used in any death metal… but I could be wrong.

115. G Money says:

hunter1909: OIler fans = Washington General fans.

Oh please. We’re much more patient and tolerant of being overmatched than the Washington Generals. At least when the Generals get beat up on, it has entertainment value.

Edit: *sshole! Now I’ve got Sweet Georgia Brown running through my head.

116. RexLibris says:

hunter1909,

I’m not saying that I categorically deny the impact of simple physics in a contact sport. But were the Oilers any less difficult to play when Dustin Penner was in the lineup?

I’d love to have a 6’5″ 245lb behemoth on one of the wings who could skate like the wind, pick the top corner at full flight and put his opponents on liquid diets when he dropped the gloves, but we need to be realistic.

Sam Gagner has a lot of fight in him, and if players like he, Taylor Hall, Yakupov and Perron could find a way to put a little more lumber on opponents, even if it brings a penalty, it might be the best we can manage until the team can find the elusive “size with skill” player they’ve been after for all these years.

117. theres oil in virginia says:

Lois Lowe:
    The documentary on Lemmy of Motorhead is amazing. That man is pure rock n roll.

He “ain’t no doctor of philosophy”!

118. spoiler says:

Lois Lowe:
    The documentary on Lemmy of Motorhead is amazing. That man is pure rock n roll.

If you’ve ever been to Anglesey, where he grew up… Just about the last place in the WASP world I’d want to be a stranger. Whole island is like the pub in the beginning of American Werewolf in London.

And of course Motorhead might never have existed if it wasn’t for Lemmy’s arrest for possession in Windsor.

119. denny33 says:

Hockey Central at Noon….

Spector takes the whole thing off by poking Maclean’s Panther teams – falling aspleep watching them play.

Maclean: Yeah, I didn’t have the luxury of having 3 first overalls in my lineup….but we won games.

******************************************************************

Kypreos – Dion asking for 7years -over 7 million per or there abouts….

Consensus: No, he is not worth it – but what choice to the leafs have.

Worse – keep insinuating Edmonton has interest in Dion ….

**********************************************************************

Maclean -something more than just goaltending wrong with Oilers. Maclean says we have to address our defence…..

**************************************************************************************

Implied this poor result has to shock Eakins and Mac T – insinuated oiler managment was expecting serious run at playoff contention. Panel agreed nobody else did.

What did Eakins do with the special teams? Eakins set the bar high coming in….

Spector : Kruegger enjoying watching the oilers special teams from Switzerland.

They concluded with Millard saying how burried they are and October is not even over…although Kypreos says they just have to win a few games and see what happens, etc,.

********************************************

The sad part – year 7 of the rebuild and they implied the expectation of Mac T / Eakins were unrealistic of * contending * for a playoff spot. Implied nobody there thought they would contend given there division San Jose, La, Vancouver Anaheim…

*******************************************************************

Spector kept trying to point out just how bad the goaltending has been and the team is not “that ‘ bad…panel was not really listening…

Spector said he has not come across anyone that though Jason Labarbra was not a B goalie – at best. ( before this year )

120. RexLibris says:

I hope this is true. Arcobello has shown a clear ability there and if Gagner wants to stay on this team I strongly suspect that it is going to have to be at LW.

If the depth chart at LW read Hall, Perron, Gagner, Gazdic and RW Eberle, Hemsky, Yakupov, Pitlick – well, that just about starts to look like a deep team. Not balanced, perhaps, but deep.

121. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I may be one of the few that prefers Hawkwind to Motorhead, but Floyd is probably my favorite old rock band… so I’m primed for the spacey business:

122. denny33 says:

Oilers Better than last year…

David Staples – Cult of Hockey:

Right now, the Oilers are short on responsible defensive wingers. In fact, in the four years I’ve measured the defensive mistakes of wingers, there’s never been such high rates of mistakes by the mainstay wingers on the team (see chart below).

Wingers who are strong defensively make less than 1.2 mistakes on scoring chances against per 15 minutes of even strength play. At least, that’s what I’ve found over the past four years.

Wingers doing an average job on defence make 1.2 to 1.4 mistakes on scoring chances per 15.

Anything above 1.4 mistakes per 15 signals a winger who isn’t getting the job done in his own zone.

So far this year, Perron is at 1.8 mistakes per 15, Yakupov 1.7 per 15, and Hemsky 1.5 per 15.

Last season, 2012-13, only Hemsky at 1.8 mistakes per 15 had such troubles on defence when it comes to Oilers wingers.

In 2011-12, Hemsky and Linus Omark at 1.4 per 15 and Hall, 1.7 per 15 all struggled.

In 2010-11, Dustin Penner was 1.4 mistakes per 15, Jordan Eberle, 1.5, Hall at 1.6 and Hemsky, 1.8. Hall and Eberle were rookies that season, and Eberle has improved his defensive game since that time.

Hemsky’s name keeps coming up here, likely because of his high number of turnovers, which are partly related to how much he carries the puck. It’s worth noting, though, that other wingers (such as Eberle from 2011-14 and also Hall in 2012-13) who have the puck on their sticks as much as Hemsky don’t have such a high error rate.

123. theres oil in virginia says:

I’ll know that the organization has the right idea when they play this part of “The Hammer” at the moment that the opposing team takes the ice:

There ain’t no way,
    You’ll see another day.
    I’m shooting out your lights,
    Bring you eternal night.
    And your eternal tricks,
    Begin to make me sick.
    The only thing I know,
    Is that you’ve got to go!

Don’t try to hide, don’t look around.
    Believe me, the hammer’s gonna bring you down!

Go home Leafs fans!

Aah. I wish MacIntyre could skate…or pass…or shoot…

124. spoiler says:

RexLibris: Gregor is saying that Arcobello will stay at C tonight and Gagner will move to the wing.

125. hags9k says:

Nuge – Perron – Yak
    Arco – Gags – Ebs (this is what I’d really like to try. like Sedinery but triplets?)
    Gordon – Jones – Hemsky
    Acton – Gadzooks – Lander

126. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: And then shortly thereafter contradicted himself by listing Gagner at C and Arco on the wing and then in the next paragraph after that, mentions that Eakins feels Gagner has earned the right to play C.

It’s bas enough that his analysis is pretty boiler plate (though he’s tried recently to add more interesting data points), but when you get your reporting wrong it’s pretty bad.

——-
    For those interested, here’s the Toronto sports radio media ripping on the Oil:

It will be very interesting to watch this team turn the corner and hear the narratives turn.

127. RexLibris says:

spoiler,

I noticed that too.

Arcobello takes the draws, then slides over? If they send this kid down after all he’s done there really is no justice on this team.

128. stevezie says:

Our pessimism has spilled into paranoia. Arcobello is third in the league in assists- he is not getting sent down. Traded probably, but not sent down.

This is not directed at you Rex; I’ve heard this fear voiced many times.

RexLibris:

As long as Taylor Hal both IS and ISN’T Gayle Sayers! #BriansSong

130. RexLibris says:

stevezie,

Yeah, thanks, but I’m actually probably getting close to paranoid. ;)

Personally, I’d put Gagner on the wing, but I get what Eakins is doing here. He doesn’t want him coming back from injury thinking that someone stole his job out from under him. I hope the two of them can create some chemistry, although neither of them are going to cast long shadows out there.

131. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: For those, like Duthie, questioning the 1st OV… I really wish they would walk their logic through. How is this team better with Ryan Murray last year or this?

This is the depth of analysis in the MSM. Their narrative takes the results and pulls out a pile of cliches in support.

That’s why we heard about how well the Oilers had played when the beat Ott and Mtl (even though they were mostly outplayed in those games), but how terribly they were doing against Wsh and Phx (even though they were the better team in both losses).

At this point, I watch/listen/read the MSM for entertainment value only. As in “how many ridiculous things can he say?”

I kind of pine for the days of my youth when I would pick up the Edmonton Journal and be able to read intelligent, in-depth analysis of what was right and what was wrong with the team, written by sportswriters who actually knew what they were talking about. Or am I remembering the past through rose-coloured glasses??

132. RexLibris says:

TSN saying that Vanek was offered to the Leafs but they wouldn’t bite. Also, salary retained and the 1st is conditional to defer to 2015 if a top 10 pick upon the Islanders’ decision.

Interesting.

133. Gret99zky says:

Slayer. South of Heaven.

deadly.

134. RexLibris says:

G Money,

Two things about the MSM – they have to create content almost every moment of every day. So as much as I harp on them for their manufactured narratives and Toronto-centric bias, it probably isn’t that easy a job. Still, the term journalism gets applied a little too loosely to some in the sports coverage business.

Second – I don’t even listen to hockey games on TV anymore. Ideally, I’ll log on to here for an Oilers’ game, watch it on mute and maybe listen to the call on the radio. If it is another team, I’ll just watch on mute, unless I’m feeling a masochistic desire to listen to Rob Kerr and Charlie Simmer call a Flames game.

135. DeadmanWaking says:

TheOtherJohn: Not sure anybody throws up on the chalk board when playing LAK …

That was a brilliant garden path all the way back to That Seventies Show. Only it was a different team.

The photographer is interesting: Wingate Paine.

The diabolically-measured over response is a hot potato. The halo effect of blood on the water only protects the last goon to lower the boom. Eyes for an eye, and teeth for tooth. What goes around comes around, half as nice, twice as nasty. You know what? MAD didn’t work with the IRA. When King Aurthur encounters the Black Knight, it’s no joke.

I like taliation plenty. It’s the armchair retaliation narrative that leaves me cold.

Mike Grier did it the right way

“I said the thing that makes Grier special was his size,” Parker said. “And both my assistants said, ‘No, no, the thing that makes Mike Grier special is his character.’”

Loved the guy.

“I remember one time when someone was making a mouthy comment on the ice,” Parker said. “Well, Mike had laid the guy out earlier in his career, and he just told the guy, ‘Hey, you were in my highlight film.’

Take note: Grier did that while actually playing hockey. Not one disgusting drop of psycho swagger. There’s a special brand of lust in this world for respect that isn’t properly earned–some people are never truly happy unless they think they are eating a free lunch. It’s a pox on humanity. It’s a world of cartoon villains where heroines, once kissed, become heartless nags.

Elvira Hancock

Which reminds me of the best chalkboard scene ever filmed: this isn’t it. But it makes an appearance. Also, that’s a sweet upgrade over Elvira.

Did anyone else notice that Mr Paine was lying prone on a groaning pier when he snapped the water nymph? Low camera angle, no ripples. Still waters take time.

Speaking of impatience, the same photographer really packed the Greyscale Poupon into xmas morning. That kid should be the team mascot or something.

I woke up this morning feeling that my Meanderthal jag has run its course. Yesterday’s little number was humour without surprise. Surprise matters. If I don’t surprise myself in the making, it isn’t worth the bother. The closest I came to surprise was “nice canisters” concerning the smooth facets of EVE, but that was pure visual luck from a Google Images dumpster dive.

Not that chance didn’t present itself in the act. How exactly did Dr-in-training Gordo T. Frankenweeter, Jr. obtain Stark’s quickie bench? I just raced right past the organic pretense. Certainly not from the undersea pawn shop on planet Naboo where Jar Jar surrendered his monogrammed watersaber (among other organs).

Was it really Tony’s personal quickie bench? BMOC at MIT for the frat-boy who scores that item. Sorry Sheldon, I spit on Nimoy’s BLT drool. A singular quickie bench, or one of several, from a long succession that went out with the trash? Why did Tony unload it? Has it suffered a severe industrial accident? Like new, minus one corner? Does it wobble, does it roll?

Maybe it isn’t Tony’s personal quick bench. Perhaps Stark Industries once sold this product under the regime of Stark Sr–before he made his mark in life–in cheesy HASBRO spots endlessly recycled on the television set in That Seventies Show–the one rarely seen because the idiot box has driven the horny kids into a different ritual.

[Tedious accolades of implausible versatility] All this and more! on your Stark Industry Quickie Bench. Who do you want to do today? [Drops into speedy fine-print voice.] Stirrups sold separately.

Right this moment I might be launching into a Dr Seuss tribute to the Stark Quickie Bench if I still had my Meanderthal jag. But nope. Time to give it a rest. Yesterday’s quickie bench fly-by was a major tell.

Rod Phillips calling Rusty Patenaude racing up the right wing blasting a slapshot. #WHA #Oiler #memories.

Going to a new trendy restosportsbar in Toronto as a #1 overall Oiler draft pick (OIler jersey with a #1 on the back) .

Wish me luck, or bad luck ! -) -).

138. G Money says:

RexLibris: Two things about the MSM – they have to create content almost every moment of every day.

On the second point – if ever I feel frustrated at the idiocy on display in Oiler broadcasts, I just turn on a local game here in Calgary. Our guys are towering intellects in comparison.

139. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: Very true on the first point – if they get a pass, it’s because the need to create ongoing content is much higher than ever before. Counterpoint: LT manages to do better – as a hobby!

My critique would start with the general blurring that happens in sports media between reporting and analysis/commentary. This is a real problem.

The fanbase can give a guy like Rishaug a lot of rope because he is connected, smooth on camera and good at his actual job (reporting and looking/sounding good). But, real problems emerge when that rope lets reporters get away with trivial banalities or simple wrongheadedness when it comes to analysis/commentary.

The primary problem is you often don’t know if something is being “reported” (as in, “someone said x”) or just being commentated upon. It is very rare that sports reporters bother to clear up these kinds of attribution issues.

The secondary problem is simply that a lot of very good reporters, ones who carry a lot of weight even, are unbelievably bad at analyzing the game.

As far as needing to generate content… I don’t think this is that onerous a burden. The questions and answers in sports media are largely boilerplate and repetitious. It’s not very difficult to repeat common wisdom. Nor, is it difficult to simply do some basic research in preparation for a conversation planned in advance.

140. spoiler says:

True dat, but I don’t think we can consider this a hobby any longer. But when it was, he was still kicking ass.

141. dangilitis says:

Woodguy: Very cool!Thanks!

I think the short answer is it has to be on the milder end of the spectrum and likely was grade 1. I actually wonder based on my reading if MRI is useful in milder injury in terms of assisting in guiding treatment and return to play recommendations. Maybe Leadfarmer can shed light on this, but it seems as though the MRI is most useful in determining extent of MCL sprain when either physical exam is unreliable, there are other suspected injuries around the knee (e.g. ACL sprain), or a severe (e.g. grade 3) sprain is likely and it needs to be determined how bad the tear is before deciding on whether surgery is warranted.

Otherwise, it is actually suggested by the articles I have read that MRI is not actually needed if you suspect minor injury on examination, but I can certainly see why an NHL player whose livelihood and performance is crucial might require the most accurate assessment of the MCL integrity.

I have also read that MCL sprain grading can actually be performed by physical examination techniques, which essentially test the degree of tearing by seeing how much the knee opens up when you place an isolated stress on the MCL.

Again, Leadfarmer would have to weigh in here, and perhaps there are other grading systems by MRI, but one I had read listed grading as follows:
    Grade 1: MCL looks intact, but there is surrounding fluid (edema) suggesting some fibers were torn
    Grade 2: MCL partially torn, with increasing swelling around the injured ligament
    Grade 3: MCL shows a complete tear at one site

This grading system correlates best with assessment of knee stability. Also, as Leadfarmer mentioned, this explains why Grade 2 consists of wide spectrum from mild “nick” in the MCL on MRI to nearly completely torn (high-grade grade 2)

As for recovery times, this is from peer-reviewed journal article I have access to:

“Timing — Return to sports or heavy activity following an isolated MCL injury is generally accomplished quickly and safely, although there is no high quality evidence to determine the optimal recovery period. The appropriate time to resume activity varies and is dictated by when the patient regains full motion, strength, and the ability to perform necessary sports or work-specific tasks. This, in turn, depends upon the patient’s preinjury level of function and the severity of the injury. Typically, return to full activity can be achieved within three to six weeks”

From experience, 4-6 weeks usually fits in the more extreme end of things, but even Grade 2′s can take between 2-6 weeks. Which really makes me think he had a grade 1 or borderline grade 2.

142. spoiler says:

I’m not sure we can bitch too much about the lack of actual journalism in Sports, considering the journalistic state of affairs on political or economic issues… some of which stems from the present Cult of the Celebrity and the Bread and Circuses that Sports represents.

…Yep, I feel a little dirty inside from time-to-time.

It’s a night to rip it up! Win and it’s party until sunrise, lose and it’s finding a new way to squeeze vinegar out of a typewriter. Either way, senses are running high.

144. theres oil in virginia says:

You think the team is as fired up as the fans are? I’d like to see it on the ice and hear it in the stands.

145. Romulus Apotheosis says:

A conversation with my father in law from the weekend (he speaks with a Greek accent):

Me: “oh, your hands hurt. Is that because the weather turned?”
    Him: “yes. … … I don’t know [he says "I don't know" a lot, it rarely means that, it is his own personal idiom. It's more like a combination of "hmmm" "uh-huh" and "eh?"].”
    Me: “Have you tried ibuprofen or something? It’s got an anti-inflammatory drug that should help.”
    Him: “No.”
    Me: “hmm… well, do you want some, do you want to try it?”
    Him: “No. … … I worked with a guy once, at Canadian Tire [he worked for years at the warehouse and always seems to forget that I know where he worked, he always feels the need to tell me… I find it strangely endearing]”
    Me: “yea?”
    Him: “he used to drink … … cedar? How you say that word?”
    Me: “cedar… the wood?”
    Him: “No… cedar, a glass of … apple… apple cedar. I don’t know.”
    Me: “Oh, you mean apple cider, the vinegar”
    Him: “yes… I don’t know”
    Me: “Wait, he drank it? a glass of it?”
    Him: “Yes, everyday, he says. I don’t know. He says it helps with his hands, I don’t know, his arthritis maybe.”
    Me “That sounds disgusting. You’re not going to try that are you?”
    Him: “No. I don’t know. He was a funny guy.”

146. TheOtherJohn says:

DMW

Great!!!! I’m all for it, sign a 25 year old Mike Grier. He would be great on wing with Boyd Gordon. Fantastic hits, good defensively, tough as nails and 4 or 5 times a year he would dislocate his shoulder and they’d pop back in his shoulder

Rom: Ha. Great story. My Dad used to whistle. Seriously. You’d say “when are we going to town, today?” on Saturday morning and he’d whistle softly for awhile and then say “probably when your Mom tells us.”

148. Henry says:

Just enjoyed a Ridgemont, listened to Mick Taylor and Keith then decided to fix another. Funny how that happens.

I found that riff songs were great to fire us up before games. I’m not a big RATM fan, but the Oilers should play Killing in the Name very loud then go out and torch some Leafs.

149. G Money says:

Jeebus, just went over to PPP and their GDT already has 600+ comments!

Gotta hand it to Leafs fans, they do support their imaginary team.

150. FastOil says:

G Money: the idea of getting elbows up does nothing but leave the Oilers consistently short-handed. And with the PK in the toilet, its a recipe for continued failure.

You’re right but there is a very good chance that pretty soon it won’t matter. Why not change the rep or better develop a rep when it doesn’t matter?

FPB94:
    About 20 of 30 fanbases think their team is the easiest to play against.

Likely true but Dreger’s not calling their team out is he?

151. stevezie says:

I agree 200% with all criticisms of Rexall’s music and the team’s taste in general. Metal might be too harsh for these virgins (cue Edna: ha!), but if the team wants some more palatable pump up music for the dressing room I’ve always found this effective for times when I’m planning on running the car over:
    And of course this is maybe the best work up song of all time; I’m even willing to forgive it’s appearance in a Nike commercial:

152. FastOil says:

hunter1909: If you’ve ever participated in any boxing, or other weight driven sporting competitions you would understand why they break people up according to weight.

Oilers probablyappear like entitled snotty rich kids to other teams, and as a result it’s going to be another busy winter for the Injury List.

But hockey players have weapons – no fists needed. The Russians know a thing or two about the finer aspects of fencing and hockey – they should teach a class at practice.

Looks like Perron isn’t taking the skate, reports on twitter have the Oilers dressing 7D and playing Grebeshkov up front. *clap gulp*

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 48s

Oilers scratch David Perron and go with seven D tonight. Must be nagging injury.

155. OilClog says:

Mike Grier, warrior.

156. VanOil says:

If I were Eakins tonight my I would let Dreger write my pre-game speech.

‘One of Hockey’s most prominent journalists, a Leafs fan and former college and friend of our GM says that you are the easiest team in the league to play against. Plus he says young Yak over there is not worth as much as there backup goalie. Now go out there score 3 in the first 10 so we see there back up and Yak can score 3 against him. If they start to push, push back harder.’

Confirmed: David Perron (illness) will not dress tonight. Lordy.

158. VanOil says:

Jack Michaels @EdmontonJack
    Yak-Gagner-Eberle. Arcobello-RNH-Hemsky. Grebeshkov-Gordon-Jones, Gazdic-Acton-Eager likely the 4 lines, at least to start.

159. Factotum says:

Personally, I also find Taiko (e.g. Kodo) pretty effective for getting the blood – and testosterone – pumping.

I just hope they’re not playing Bieber, or Cyrus, or Gord forbid – Nickelback – in the dressing room…

Edit: Egad, not Perron! This team is cursed.

160. OilClog says:

Lol no Perron. This won’t be pretty.

161. bookje says:

Finally Grebs is back at left wing, Everything is back to normal now.

Clap Clap?

I’m looking forward to this game, it’s got a definite Oakland Seals versus Montreal Canadiens 1975 feel to it. I hope Meloche is up for this!

163. Romulus Apotheosis says:

THis TOR pre-game chatter on SNO is hilarious. Quinn really needs to step up his homer game.

164. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Greburgers for everyone!!

165. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Actually, ACV is great for digestion and stops acid reflux immediately in most people. But you only have to take one half tspn mixed with some water – not a GLASS of it! As some would say, “Lordy!”

As for anti-inflam properties, I don’t know, but I don’t claim to be an expert on these things either, so maybe it helps. It couldn’t hurt.

Nuge-Jones-Hemsky to start. #mother

167. SK Oiler Fan says:

Why not put J Shultz up on the wing? He isn’t a defenceman right now anyway.

168. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

My Dad used to put it on me when I got a sunburn. He was convinced it was the best, if not the only, topical solution.

I just remembered that… Maybe ACV is like windex?

Nice start, Nuge playing well that was a fine shift by Smid too.

170. Romulus Apotheosis says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    Why not put J Shultz up on the wing? He isn’t a defenceman right now anyway.

It would confuse him apparently.
    ;)

And it’s 1-0 because defense

172. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Well, there’s your turn-over out-shot but wins hockey.

173. bookje says:

Go Seals!

174. VanOil says:

Jones is the Oiler #1 left winger. A DSF is making cackling noises in his liar on his Kessel-BTO prediction.

I need a drink and then another.

175. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Someone get that dog whistle out of the rink!!

176. Jon K says:

Two odd man rushes in first minute. So much for this game being different.

Dog whistle is Russian tonight (Belov) on the first goal.

178. Romulus Apotheosis says:

FFS, would someone teach these bastards to “win” the draws that the center “wins”!

179. SK Oiler Fan says:

How the hell do you give Kessel a chance like that 2min in. Just brutal D

180. In the Grease says:

1. Grab a beer
    2. Turn on Oilers’ game
    3. Choke down a huge bitter pill one minute into game
    4. Wash down with beer
    5. Resume watching rest of game with an awful lingering aftertaste

181. hunter1909 says:

So far, so not looking good.

182. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dog whistle is Russian tonight (Belov) on the first goal.

He’s caught it too then! It’s spreading!!

15 is all over the place… though I enjoyed him filling Kadri in.

183. theres oil in virginia says:

Who the hell is wearing Nick Schultz’s jersey these days!? Leveling people at the blueline is going to become his MO.

184. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Can anyone else hear some cackling idiot “yea, get out of here… yea!”

185. Zelepukin says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Can anyone else hear some cackling idiot “yea, get out of here… yea!”

Ya whatever mics the Leafs broadcast is using are terribly positioned.

The Leafs are giving us more room to move any other team this season.

Also, good to see Hemmer get his mandatory offside out of the way already.

186. jake70 says:

In the Grease:
    1. Grab a beer
    2. Turn on Oilers’ game
    3. Choke down a huge bitter pill one minute into game
    4. Wash down with beer
    5. Resume watching rest of game with an awful lingering aftertaste

I wonder if they started the OIlers games at 1:00 minute mark, maybe they don’t spot other teams the automatic 1 goal lead. And now that I think about it, stop the 3rd at 19:00 min mark would help too.

187. VanOil says:

Do think Eakins is just being a dink to Caryle. Try and match these lines, psych I don’t have any lines.

VanOil:

189. VanOil says:

Lowetide: The feel of the game is pretty good for Edmonton, I’d feel better if they tie it up before Toronto scores again.

Too scared to agree. But I don’t think it will end 1-0.

190. SK Oiler Fan says:

Was Eager lost there?

191. Fixall with Rexall says:

That hemsky offside wasn’t his fault. The pass was double pumped and then given to a lesser option

192. Brackenburied says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    Was Eager lost there?

I think we might get some good chances tonite.

193. jake70 says:

Yak wide open on the left side, gets dumped in….

194. VanOil says:

This is the sort of game where Yak gets in a fight and Eager scores.

195. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Awesome yaks.

196. markasread1199 says:

Yak trying to go alone again. Glad he ran Reimer though.

197. hunter1909 says:

Need to score there guys.

198. Zelepukin says:

markasread1199:
    Yak trying to go alone again. Glad he ran Reimer though.

god forbid he tries to beat a d-man and drive the net with the puck.

Newer Comments »