OILERS AT CANADIENS G10, 13-14

The Edmonton Oilers won’t play tonight with a full deck, but they need this road win to salvage a very difficult early portion of the season. A 2-3-1 road trip represents a major victory when you consider this team flew into Ottawa winless in 4 games. No sir. Tonight’s a big game. Azorcan3

It’s an open question as to what the lines will look like tonight, I’m just going to list the forwards and blue in order of importance (and with the assumption that Jordan Eberle is playing).

FORWARDS

1. R Jordan Eberle
  2. R Ales Hemsky
  3. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  4. L David Perron
  5. C Boyd Gordon
  6. L Nail Yakupov
  7. C Mark Arcobello
  8. C Will Acton
  9. R Ryan Jones
  10. L Ben Eager
  11. R Tyler Pitlick
  12. L Luke Gazdic

I think that’s right. Oilers don’t have enough forwards with Hall, Smyth and Gagner unavailable and Brown out of town. If Eberle doesn’t play, Grebeshkov might be a forward.

DEFENSE

1. Jeff Petry
  2. Justin Schultz
  3. Andrew Ference
  4. Anton Belov
  5. Ladislav Smid
  6. Denis Grebeshkov
  7. Nick Schultz
  8. Taylor Fedun

So, there’s that. The Oilers have 4 pairs of defensemen but can’t ice four lines. Unusual. Fedun’s callup was listed in AHL transactions but I haven’t seen it elsewhere.

comedy

The Oilers traded Mike Brown last night, it was a good trade in two ways. First, they got a draft pick in return–a 4th–and that has value. I’ve spoken to a few draft people in the last few weeks, and it seems as though this year is not a strong one for the draft. It doesn’t matter. Mike Brown’s CORSI ON was 372nd out of 419 NHL forwards this season. Ryan Jones, Tyler Pitlick and anyone else who is thrown in there is extremely likely to be better.

And it’s a positive in that the organization’s management picked the right player to offload. Adding Ben Eager to the roster gives them a more capable veteran, someone who can do more things and has more experience with things like goal scoring and playing with skill (should it be required). This is a positive all around.

mahovlich

I could choose 100 painful pictures from my youth involving the Habs, but Frank Mahovlich wearing that uniform is pretty damn difficult. Mahovlich won 4 Stanley’s with the Leafs and was a big part of the 1971 and 1973 Montreal Stanley’s. The Big M was a tall drink of water who was a tough out when he got up to speed and he could shoot the puck well enough to score anywhere inside the blueline (this would be the old blueline).

Habs gave up Mickey Redmond (an outstanding young scorer, he would suffer a career ending back injury just a few short years later), Bill Collins (a competent to good checking C who could penalty kill and score when given the icetime) and Guy Charron (a long forgotten but talented offensive player). It was a good deal for Detroit, would have been a great one with health for Redmond, but it was a perfectly timed ‘perfect fit’ trade by Sam Pollock: his young offensive wingers (Redmond, Marc Tardif) were taking their own sweet time getting up to speed, and this was a veteran team, a Beliveau team, an Henri Richard team, and they simply didn’t have time to wait for greatness.

So they traded for it, won the Stanley and broke my heart. I’ll forgive them about 50 years after I die.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Genevieve Bujold In 'The King Of Hearts'

This morning at 10, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Ryan Batty from Copper and Blue. Mike Brown trade, 11 forwards for tonight, Hall injury, lighting candles.
  • Andrew Berkshire from Eyes on the Prize. Habs are injury riddled but have a winning record. I’ll find out how.
  • Rob Soria from Oil Drop. Acquiring a top pairing D, making sense of the lineup and Dubnyk’s recovery
  • Kirk Luedeke from Redline Report and NEHJ. We’ll talk BoSox-Cardinals WS, strength of draft 2014, Yale’s Arcobello and goalies in the NCAA.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. This is a spirited bunch of guests, hope you can tune in. 10am, TSN1260 or you can go to the website and ‘listen live’ beginning at 10am EDM time.

539 Responses to "OILERS AT CANADIENS G10, 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. RexLibris says:

TartanArmy:
    Nice hit there by J. Schultz…..he’s been quiet tonight.

With J. Schultz, that isn’t always a bad thing.

2. RexLibris says:

While I’m not sure either would be big enough for the rides at K-days, I’d like to see what Arcobello and Gagner could do on a line together.

3. Derek says:

Jones on the top line! ahahhaha

4. spoiler says:

Zelepukin: I’d rather have cotton-eye jones and pitlicker on the 4th instead of eager and i-still-havent-learned-to-cross-the-redline-before-dumping-it-in Gazdic.

He does this every single game. Fortunately it was waved off earlier.

5. nelson88 says:

Anybody have a nice neighbour or sister that Petry could marry? Smid at $3.5M so maybe you can get him at 5 x $4M. I was hoping his father made ARod money in his career but sadly; according to the baseball almanac, he played in the days when a very good player still made less then $1M/year.

6. spoiler says:

Was that a save when we “needed” it?

7. TartanArmy says:

Maybe it’s my tv, but are the OIlers jerseys like a dirty white…almost a greyish?

8. RexLibris says:

With Eberle listed day-to-day, if this gets to under 2 minutes with a 2 goal lead I’d like to see him sat for the remainder.

9. fuzzy muppet says:

Pitlick’s speed on the forecheck is what i’d call swarming. The defenders have very little time to make plays.

He may never score much, but I think he can be effective, unlike Brown, Eager, Gazdic etc…

10. VanOil says:

180ft empty net goal for Yak would be a nice way to ice this one.

11. bookje says:

Belov is not really a rookie in any sense. He came from the KHL, not the AHL.

12. fuzzy muppet says:

spoiler,

It was that one down 2-0 that meant more. THat goes in and it would have been game over.

PUT YAK OUT FOR THE EMPTY NETTER. He needs it

13. justDOit says:

Were they just playing Metalica at the Bell Centre?|

14. RexLibris says:

I haven’t seen much of this game, but I haven’t liked Belov’s passing decisions in this 3rd period.

15. Lewis Grant says:

BlacqueJacque: Blacque

I’m tempted to join you. I know, bad timing, what with the comeback tonight and all, but how many teams have had 7-year stretches this bad? Even the 88-94 Nordiques and ’90s Senators might have been better. We have all the talent in the world, but we refuse to check. (See Friedman’s 30 thoughts this week.) I suspect most people around the league agree with Eller’s comments.

We have firepower, and we can come back with four-goal outbursts like tonight, and like our other win this year (whenever that was….I can hardly remember amidst the losses). But consistency and backchecking and playing a system makes you a good team. For crying out loud, look at Dallas and Phoenix under Dave Tippett – less talent on those entire teams than in our current second line, but they won and we lose.

Throughout the drought (as if we’re not still in it), we looked forward to being the next Pittsburgh/Chicago/LA. We said that in 2012-13 we would be very close or in the playoffs and in 2013-14 we would be a serious contender. We are so far from being a serious contender that it’s time to face the fact that we are not the next young dynasty. We’re simply a loser franchise.

This team doesn’t deserve my attention. Or the attention of what has pretty clearly been established as the smartest (if also the most irrationally loyal) fanbase in the league.

In another few games I may be with you BlacqueJacque.

My head is ready to pull the plug, but my heart isn’t quite ready. It’ll take at least a few more games of losing.

In the meantime, I’ll enjoy the fleeting moments of hope like tonight.

16. SK Oiler Fan says:

great d zone coverage there. Notice how nobody was swarming?

17. RexLibris says:

VanOil:
    180ft empty net goal for Yak would be a nice way to ice this one.

Top shelf.

18. Rebilled says:

I’m not watching this game but I’m pretty sure BlacqueJacque is burning his pants right now. Those things drive me nuts. Don’t you hate pants?!

19. Derek says:

A goal against with a second left to go after narrowly missing an empty net. Oilers gonna Oil.

20. Nuckout says:

Minute left.

I’M SCARED AND NEED AN ADULT

21. markasread1199 says:

Oh dear, beers on the roof.

22. justDOit says:

3 GA! Woo-hoo! 25% under the season average.

23. spoiler says:

I would like the first post-game interview to be Eller, by some dickhead reporter, you know like Spector.

24. Lucinius says:

Hemsky needed to bury that empty netter. Some poor clearing attempts afterwards that led to the goal against… but we win!

25. nelson88 says:

Great to see Dubie play another strong game and get pissed on the last goal. Even happier to see him sticking it to MacT (and I am not a MacT hater).

26. Jon K says:

It is utterly baffling how the Oilers can look so different period to period, baffling.

27. Lucinius says:

Jon K,

Its why we fans get so bloody angry and reach such depths of disappointment. When the Oilers actually play like an NHL team they can compete with anyone in the league.

They just don’t do it often.

28. striatic says:

justDOit:
    3 GA! Woo-hoo! 25% under the season average.

Beggars can’t be choosers.

29. Bulging Twine says:

Pitlick > Brown imo

30. RMGS says:

I’ll take it!

31. russ99 says:

Ugly win, but I’ll take it, especially in Montreal.

32. Nuckout says:

Great character win. This team CAN play under adversity. Going home will be a lot easier.

33. justDOit says:

justDOit:
    Excellent road period for a skilled team. Trick the Habs into thinking they can mail the rest of the game in, and then take it to them for the last 40 minutes and run it up 5 – 2. Right…? AmIright?

Geez – an empty net goal away from 5 – 2. Missed it by that much.

34. justDOit says:

striatic: Beggars can’t be choosers.

No, I’m really celebrating that. I’ll take 3 GA all season long, if they’ll score 4.

35. Nuckout says:

Bulging Twine:
    Pitlick > Brown imo

36. SK Oiler Fan says:

That 1st period was bad, but man that’s a huge comeback win. I saw RNH, Hemsky, Eberle, and Petry lead that comeback.
    Liked Pitlick’s game. Same thing he brought in the preseason. Speed, fore check, and clean hits. Opposing D men get tired of that after a while

37. jp says:

Nice game. Far from perfect, but a win is a win!

SK Oiler Fan:
    That 4 line can hit the showers now. Eager tried his damnest to give that puck away.
    What a difference when they skate and make short, quick passes

Luckily Pitlick has staked claim to the 4R job as soon as the team is healthy enough to push him out of the top 9.

spoiler: He had it right the first time.
    #runningjokes

Too much work and not enough reading of comments for me apparently. My bad.

I had noticed “dominate” used unusually a few times before but didn’t clue into anything.

38. cabbiesmacker says:

Nuckout: Brown was dispensable. We got half a year’s service out of him, traded a 4th for him, and traded him for a 2nd. Like I said in the “Brown Traded” blog, MacT just flipped a forward and made a profit.

Don’t think they got a second for him?

39. geowal says:

Nuckout,

Unfortunately we only traded him for a 4th, but still broke even, so no harm there.

40. sliderule says:

The oil are going to go on a nice little streak

41. Nuckout says:

geowal:
    Nuckout,

I stand corrected.

Either way, no harm, no foul.

42. VanOil says:

In the Eastern Conference we would almost be in a playoff position. In the West not so much.

43. Gi JQE says:

44. spoiler says:

Gi JQE: 5-2 would have looked better, but a win is a win. Need to keep doing whatever that was. Sure didn’t look like the swarm of the first eight games. Maybe they are figuring ir out ? Or it has been adjusted ?

For the past 3 games actually, they haven’t over-committed as much. To my eye.

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Nuckout: I stand corrected.

Either way, no harm, no foul.

If you mean “traded” him for a 2nd and by that 2nd you mean Pitlick, you are right in a roundabout way :)

46. LostBoy says:

I guess I don’t understand how a road game in which the Oilers came out in the second and absolutely effing took over could qualify as “ugly”. I thought Petry deserved a star selection – dominating performance. Circumstances forced a more traditional Oilers third line, and with some fresh legs from Pitlick it was seriously effective. There wasn’t a lot not to like, other than the last 10 minutes of the first period. Even the faceoffs got better as it wore on. The last goal means nothing, except to poor Dubnyk’s stats. Hemmer basically blew it because he wanted to get it to Arcobello. Hemsky was a warrior in this one and given the (then) two goal cushion I can’t fault him. Solid, solid win in difficult circumstances.

Final Corsi 67-53, Oilers CF% of 44.2%. Leaders: Belov 53%, Yak/Petry 50%. Last Gazdic (17%), then Ference/NSchultz around 30%.

48. striatic says:

so, all of the Oilers wins have been since Hall got injured?

imagine how good they’ll be when he gets back!

49. Gret99zky says:

Nuge is a beauty. Love that kid’s game.

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

looks quite different… are you using a different site? Is doesn’t look like extraskater is still waiting to be undated.

Though one curiosity is that ES has the shots different than the NHL, which has them even:

51. hunter1909 says:

striatic:
    so, all of the Oilers wins have been since Hall got injured?

imagine how good they’ll be when he gets back!

2-0-0 since his ‘injury’ = Taylor Hall was the cancer they needed to remove to save the team.

Romulus Apotheosis: http://www.extraskater.com/game/2013-10-22-oilers-canadiens

Rom: That’s Michael Parkatti’s, sorry. I thought I put that on the post. Michael counts EV strength (5×5, 4×4, etc)

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I know it’s early, but when should we start talking about signing Belov?

This guy is for real. The PS games plus 10 regular season games and all that KHL and international experience. This guy is fully formed.

Him, J. Schultz and Petry need to get locked in long term. Add a top pairing guy, Ference and the bubbling up kids and this D corps starts looking great.

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Is doesn’t look like extraskater is still waiting to be undated.

quoted for posterity. “is” is barely worth mentioning as a typo… but “undated” is pretty strong.

I was “undated” once. :(

55. gr8one says:

So, Arco is now in a four way tie for the league lead in assists, his company?

Crosby, H.Sedin, J.Thornton…not bad company.

Who would have predicted that after ten games?

Hell, I’ll be ecstatic if he cools off and remains a 0.5ppg player when Gags gets back.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

when did the sponsoring of PPs become a thing?

It just kind of creeps up on you. Always sounds hilarious though.

PHX 1-0 CAL

57. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    when did the sponsoring of PPs become a thing?

It just kind of creeps up on you. Always sounds hilarious though.

PHX 1-0 CAL

Do they sponsor the Oilers PPs? They really shouldn’t.

58. speeds says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I know it’s early, but when should we start talking about signing Belov?

59. Zelepukin says:

gr8one:
    So, Arco is now in a four way tie for the league lead in assists, his company?

Crosby, H.Sedin, J.Thornton…not bad company.

Who would have predicted that after ten games?

Arco has definitely stolen Gags second line center job. Better defensive and in the dots than Gags and you wouldnt want to push Arco back to the 3rd or 4th line.

60. Racki says:

Just popping in to remind everyone how terribly the Oilers played in the first half of the game.. just in case people forgot!

Great 2nd half though. But they wouldn’t even pass for a junior team in that first half of the game.

61. jake70 says:

Was at game tonight as well as the Ottawa game. A few observations that come to mind..

-Petry – Real solid play so far (was thinking that before his goal).
    -Belov – Solid, low chaos, likes to shoot. Size (and SMARTs) allows him to effectively tie upplayers/neutralize danger, without the big hit..more of this please.
    -Nuge – Boy he is seeing the game well, not 99 well but holy. And watch the Smid goal replay, RNH goes low stick side, imagine, not high glove where it will get caught.
    -Pitlick – For first game, pretty good I would say. I watched him close all night. Low to no chaos. Has that Jordan Staal style of play/stride (boy wouldn’t it be nice to have any offense). Good skater, good on his edges for a big guy. Plays a safe game.
    Yakupov – The kid will learn but he is scared to death with the puck, panics instantly. Has a ways to go yet IMO, and if we are not developing players, well we’ll see. But lightning quick hands.

Played better than in Ottawa but served up some good portions of slop in this one too.

62. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp: Do they sponsor the Oilers PPs? They really shouldn’t.

I was watching the TSN feed. They didn’t.

The PHX feed is (and I’ve heard it elsewhere). It’s like “here’s another Dodge Ram Power Play! Remember to buy 40 trucks!” or something.

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

speeds: Also Arcobello – he’ll be a group VI UFA next summer unless he plays a fair number of games this season, depending where he sits with respect to that in January, it will be interesting to see how EDM handles contract negotiations with Arcobello.

The big tell will be what happens when Gagner gets back.

If they are smart, they find a way to keep him on the team. But don’t be surprised if MacT and the rest of the NHL still just see a small forward and find ways to ignore his production.

64. Fixall with Rexall says:

Hemsky is still our best player.

Petry will be our most important RFA since forever.

Dubnyk solved our goaltending.

Pitlick was great. Adrenaline is awesome.

Jones was terrible. GW or not, he was terrible. I wish Perrons original shot went in.

Yakupov coasts as soon as the puck starts going the other way. I want him to be my favorite Oiler.

RNH is all over the map with his play, as is Eberle but to a lesser extent. They had trouble clearing that blue line all night. Absolute feeble attempts some of them. But those hands, my god.

Subban creates space for himself on the blue line like nobody I’ve ever seen.

65. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I assume you mean instead of sending him down. I think that possibility is gone now, so breath easy. I think trading him is the best move. Of all our young, small, scoring forwards he is the most disposable and between his production and his contract he will have value.

66. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis: The big tell will be what happens when Gagner gets back.

Where they play him, I don’t know. But they simply can’t send him away because he’s too small. I just don’t believe there’s any way not to acknowledge how effective he’s been. Remember MacT was an Arco proponent even in the summer.

67. spoiler says:

I’ve been bangin the Belov bongos since week 1, so y’all preaching to the choir here. He just needed to learn the rink size, speed and gaps, and what he was allowed to do in the corners and the crease. But there was always a fine player there.

Arco… The willingness to engage and the amount of tenacity he shows in his own end impresses me even more than his Macintosh per game rate. He repeatedly came back to the front of his crease to break up plays and block shots. And he always gets a stick on his mark. He’s damn fine IMO, too. I said a couple of weeks ago that Gagner is a better PP player but might be second best everywhere else. Nothing I’ve seen since has changed my mind.

68. Fixall with Rexall says:

Does Arco have the most value contract in the league?

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie,

jp,

While I’m absolutely hopeful Arco stays up with the team, gets a friendly extension and proves his worth for a few years in Oiler silks…

… A team that refuses to call up Omark, insists on a minimum of 2 facepunchers every night doesn’t inspire confidence that they will see the value they actually have. I worry they’ve been drinking the Gregor sauce and can’t stomach having too many good hockey players for some inexplicable reason.

I think if Arco makes it to the deadline and keep producing a trade is an option… but I think we need to remember that MacT isn’t the only GM to discount scoring by undersized players.

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

2-0 PHX. Ribero with the tip.

71. spoiler says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    stevezie,

jp,

72. Racki says:

spoiler: The only problem with that assessment is that, unless he’s changed his game, Omark isn’t a good hockey player. Arco is showing Omark exactly what he needs to do in his own wnd, but I have never seen that sort of commitment from Omark. And I doubt we ever will. Every team in the league has had a shot at him and passed. So that ain’t just on our management.

Totally agree with you on Omark.

73. spoiler says:

I want to give kudos to Pitlick too for his first game. Damn that kid has some wheels.

74. flyfish1168 says:

I can’t see them keeping Gagner, Arco and Hemsky. One or two will be traded from this group. Gagner NMC doesn’t kick in till next year. So Arco signs a cap friendly contract I think the writing is on the wall Sam

75. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler: The only problem with that assessment is that, unless he’s changed his game, Omark isn’t a good hockey player. Arco is showing Omark exactly what he needs to do in his own end, but I have never seen that sort of commitment from Omark. And I doubt we ever will. Every team in the league has had a shot at him and passed. So that ain’t just on our management.

I’m happy to agree with you that Arco is a superior defensive player (as a C that kind of has to be the case mind you). But, I really don’t get this assessment of Omark. He’s succeeded at every level of hockey he’s ever played in. He succeeded in the NHL when he had a consistent opportunity.

The NHL GMs see him the same way Oiler mgt. does: too small and a lot of weird character issues (“euro!”). I think a smart GM’s job is to find value in maximizing players overlooked for stupid reasons. Omark fits that bill.

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler:

plays like Magnus-lite. With any luck he’ll grow into the role and find some hands in a parking lot somewhere.

77. B S says:

jp,

Romulus Apotheosis: I was watching the TSN feed. They didn’t.

On radio it’s been the Enmax PP in previous years, so yes there is a sponsor for the Oiler’s PP.

Joanne Ireland ‏@jirelandEJ 26s

“I thought we were horrendous in the 1st. We had so many turnovers. Dallas had something to say, and he was right.” Smid on #oilers comeback

Go Laddy!

79. RexLibris says:

Gagner doesn’t have a technical NMC until next season, but MacTavish was adamant that he gave a verbal one. Now I realize that and $1.50 gets you a cup of coffee, but all the same it would take one heck of a sales job for MacTavish to trade him without appearing to have gone back on his word.

80. wheatnoil says:

Remember last year when the Oilers called up Vandevelde and then placed Smyth at centre instead of calling up Arcobello.

That said, Arcobello is the shiny new toy. Let’s wait until Gagner is back and see who outperforms who. Depth is a damn good thing. With Hall out for weeks, Smyth injured, and Joensuu with his… I don’t even know, maybe pubic-scurvy?… there’s room for Arcobello on the roster (or there should be). Worst case scenario, he’s your 13th forward and slots back in 2 out of every 3 games when a higher paid top 9-er needs to see the game from up top. MacT loves centres.

81. wheatnoil says:

RexLibris:

I agree with you, but you and I will have a hard time convincing Ralph Krueger of that.

82. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I hope they invest in developing Pitlick at the NHL level now. He has three essential ingredients for a 3rd liner. Wheels, size and willingness to engage. With time, he’ll chip in a little offence. But he needs mentorship and patience because he looks like a prospect that takes until 26 or 27 years old before he becomes truly impactful and highly coveted as a ‘character guy’ that is needed for teams to go on deep runs in the playoffs. Pitlick versus Gazdic or Jones or Eager. Seems an easy call to me.

83. dangilitis says:

Let’s face it, Eller is a douchebag. It brings back memories of Gretzky calling the NJD a mickey mouse organization, but that was because he was upset for watching his friend in the opposing net get shelled. There are many other differences. Gretzky actually had the ability to back his comments up, singlehandedly. Eller was a junior player not too long ago, has only about 0.3 ppg in his career, and has had a negative relative corsi in each NHL season he has played, including thus far this season despite his pt totals. His team lost a lot of players and he was only being put on the 1st line because his team’s best players are out with injury. Gretzky said it after the game, which was a blowout. Eller said it before a game, which their team lost, in major part because his line was outplayed. I think he was a -1 and would have been -2 if he wasn’t on the ice when Gionta scored the goal, after having lost the last 2 faceoffs. He had 1 measly shot. His team, led by him, got outplayed by a team with a 2-6-1 record and half of its forwards at AHL caliber.

But I do believe we should thank him, as his comments were true in a sense. The team should truly keep that as “bulletin board material” to motivate for games like this where they start out flat or need to dig out some points. Because they are going to need those points at a fierce rate for the next few weeks. Great effort and the better players stepped up.

Can we please show some more love for Arcobello? He is currently tied for rookie scoring lead, and tied for first in the league in assists with Thornton, Crosby, and Sedin. I know it won’t last, but what a fuckin’ unbelievable story. If it were me I would screencapture the NHL.com stats pages and save them on a daily basis. Joe Thornton, his fellow assist leader, might have other suggestions on how to celebrate…

84. Racki says:

Joanne Ireland ‏@jirelandEJ 26s

Go Laddy!

Jeez, why do you hate Ladi so much? (I’m catching on to how things work here!)

85. gogliano says:

If you’re Arcobello and the Oilers come knocking early with a 2-3 year one way low dollars deal, can you justify not taking it? It is basically a shot of financial stability for life and the deal comes with the chance to play with the elite kids with which he seems to have clicked.

86. Dead Cat Bounce says:

gogliano:
    If you’re Arcobello and the Oilers come knocking early with a 2-3 year one way low dollars deal, can you justify not taking it?It is basically a shot of financial stability for life and the deal comes with the chance to play with the elite kids with which he seems to have clicked.

Kyle Wellwood.

2011/12

77GP 18G 29A 47P +3.

Perspective.

87. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

dangilitis,

I think Arcobello is a student of the game and a cerebral player. That, combined with his base skills has helped him overcome doubters at literally every level. For me, it’s his low volatility (steady, low key production both offensively and defensively) that makes a debate over Gagner vs. Arcobello compelling. Arcobello will get better and if coupled with skill guys will push Gagner on points. And if he does that, where does Gagner nose ahead?

88. Racki says:

Does anyone actually disagree with Eller’s assessment? Yes, the Oilers won, but he’s right.. the Oilers do often play like a junior team, with “no structure”. They have yet to bring it all together for anywhere near a long stretch. As someone else posted on my Twitter (and an Eakins quote?), it’s a Jeckle and Hyde team.

89. Romulus Apotheosis says:

2-2 PHX-CAL

Colborne first of the year.

This flames team is like Will Acton, a bad smell that won’t go away.

whoops. there goes Ribero. second of the game. 3-2 PHX.

90. spoiler says:

Rom, I’m on the phone, so I don’t wanna quote both your last two comments, and I can’t type enough to address either fully so I am just gonna say WTF?

Pitlick aint Magnus lite and Omark hasn’t really had success anywhere. And you are contriving a narrative to fit 30 NHL GMs. Holy Jeebus.

91. "Steve Smith" says:

bookje:
    Belov is not really a rookie in any sense.He came from the KHL, not the AHL.

I think one hundred per cent of your serious posts in the last two months (so, like, three) have been about how we should expect Belov to be a good NHL defenceman, because he was a good KHL defenceman, and how we should not expect Grebeshkov to be a good NHL defenceman, because he was not a good KHL defenceman.

92. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

93. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: While I’m delighted Pitlick is showing well. I’d prefer he killed it in top minutes in OKC for a full year, then be given a 4th line role (on a real 8-10 min. a night 4th line) next year. That’s how a classy org. would do it.

You forgot spats for his skates. THAT’S classy!

;)

94. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler:

ummm… Pitlick is a player with size, speed and keeps the puck away from his own zone by cycling but lacks the hands to finish… sounds a lot like Magnus.*

But right now, Pitlick is still a long way from being as good as Magnus. So, Magnus-lite.

Now, he’s taken a huge leap in the last month… that may be real, may slide back only to suggest long term growth, or may fall into the crapper… the sample size is too small to know.

As far as Omark is concerned, I have no idea what your measure of success is, but you are basically saying the vast majority of professional players — most of which aren’t as good as Omark — aren’t “successful”… I don’t think you have a very compelling definition if that is the case.

*I’m happy to acknowledge that in-house comparisons are probably over-relied upon for convenience sake… but this one seems pretty obvious to me.

95. RexLibris says:

Chase with another assist tonight. 2-1 Hitmen.

96. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”: I have no idea what my point is in making that observation, but I assume that it exists.

That you are a keen observer?

97. gogliano says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Kyle Wellwood.

2011/12

77GP 18G 29A 47P +3.

Perspective.

Can someone remind me how to link to comments from old lowetide blogs? I have a few doozies to pull out.

98. Acumen says:

I think Arcobello could be our Peverley (check the ol’ DB, their stats are near identical).

For all of you saying we need to trade him or Gagner…. No! Dammit, can’t we just have legitimately quality 1-4 center depth when Gagner gets back? Isn’t it okay to have a really awesome 4th line C who passes like an all star, wins all the faceoffs and plays a low-event low-risk game? And if one of our centers is in a slump we have a guy we can elevate to any line?

Please? Don’t we deserve it? We haven’t had that since 2006. I want that back.

edit: Also! Did anyone else see shades of Rosy in #68 out there? I sure did. And I liked it.

99. Bos8 says:

Boy, the Oilers are desperate for someone with a bit of grit ( to coin a phrase). Pitlick is a possible answer to a fan’s dream. He can only learn good things, playing with Gordon. He’s had a tough road to get here. He was touted back when as having a big shot along with size and speed. With all his trials and tribulations it didn’t happen for him. Sometimes players just need a chance and good things happen. At worst he can see that he’s not that far away – he can play with the big boys.

Pulling for him like crazy.

100. RexLibris says:

Acumen,

Personally, I think I’d run Gagner with Gordon and Yakupov as a 3rd line. Arcobello with Eberle and Perron on the 2nd and eventually RNH with Hall and Hemsky for the 1st. That gives you two scoring lines and a third that is about as close to a scoring 3rd line as we can reasonably expect from the Oilers.

101. wuthering says:

Eberle now 10 pts in 10 and a +7 with a very good sledge hammer. The meme has been that Hall pushes the river–which he does; but it is pretty narrow-sighted to miss Eberle’s contribution to pushing the river as well. Well done Eberle–you are a beaut.

102. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gogliano: Can someone remind me how to link to comments from old lowetide blogs?I have a few doozies to pull out.

103. Henry says:

Maybe the org is taking a good look before they make a career decision.

104. Lewis Grant says:

dangilitis: If it were me I would screencapture the NHL.com stats pages and save them on a daily basis. Joe Thornton, his fellow assist leader, might have other suggestions on how to celebrate…

That’s why I keep coming back to this site….

wuthering:
    Eberle now 10 pts in 10 and a +7 with a very good sledge hammer.The meme has been that Hall pushes the river–which he does; but it is pretty narrow-sighted to miss Eberle’s contribution to pushing the river as well.Well done Eberle–you are a beaut.

Especially considering he was not a #1 overall selection. Eberle’s been exceptional, no doubt.

106. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis: If you hover over the timestamp on a comment you’ll get a hyperlink that takes you right to that comment in that thread (does that make sense?)

Adding to that, easiest is just to right click the time stamp, and then pick copy shortcut, or whatever your preferred browser of choice calls it, then paste it in the comment box here. Sorry, just in case “gogliano” is a bit of a computer newb. We’re not all science astronauts, so just helping a guy out..

107. justDOit says:

“We thank Lars Eller for his comments before the game.” – Coach Eakins on the MTL forward’s ‘junior team’ line earlier today

108. Racki says:

wuthering:

I honestly think that Eberle is my fave of Hall/Nuge/Ebs/Yak. I think his recent injuries have made people forget a little bit of how magic those mitts are.

109. Racki says:

justDOit:

I don’t want to harp on this too much, but the Oilers proved him wrong in the 2nd half of the game, but proved him right in the first half. Would have been great to see them at least play responsible for the first part of the game. I personally think Eller’s comments are pretty bang on to what this team still is. I’m happy as sh– they won though!

110. Henry says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:
    dangilitis,

It’s simple. Choose both.

111. justDOit says:

Racki,

I was about to put Eller on my Christmas card list at the first intermission, and then burn all my Oilers gear (a hat). Eakins and the Oilers giving Lars a lesson in sportsmanship, is a thing of beauty.

112. Gerta Rauss says:

gogliano,

lol

113. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Henry,

I totally agree.

114. Gerta Rauss says:

I feel for BlacqueJacque-after the first period I was working on my “I want a refund for my CenterIce package” the next time I called Shaw cable. He’ll be back. They all come back.

115. Andropod says:

Did anyone else notice the team dynamic without Hall? Will the team winning without him give him enough humility to listen to Coach?

116. wheatnoil says:

RexLibris:
    Acumen,

Acton with Joensuu and Smyth as the 4th line is not too shabby actually. PKers would include Acton, Gordon, and Smyth. Gagner played PK last year. Add in RNH & Eberle as your 3rd pair (by eye I’ve noticed them playing the end of the kill together) and at least there’s enough personnel to do the job.

(Not that this team will ever be healthy enough to ice such a roster)

117. ABC_Rule says:

Hi, first-time caller, long-time listener, etc…

Was at the game tonight, my first since moving here. Very enjoyable – I even had two drunk girls looking at me in disgust saying “ça pique” ["it's itchy"] while scratching their heads with their middle fingers. The best part was watching the crowd applaud Subban playing a game of keepaway in what I imagine is the same way they commended “Le Démon Blond” Lafleur. During every TV timeout during the 1st and 2nd, Eakins has the players around him, drawing frantically on the whiteboard. (Those of you who go to the home games may know this already.) There is definitely work to be done, esp. Yakupov who looks like he’s about to spontaneously combust when he touches the puck in the o-zone. But this is a better team than last season. Arcobello gives the team more options, even if he doesn’t score a goal all season. Gordon. Belov’s calming presence. Perron hitting to slow down (and annoy). Even Pitlick was great tonight, a solid 4th line game.

Being an Oilers fan is rough sometimes, yes. In the dark moments, I just think about what Bill Murray had to say about being a Cubs fan (about 6:30 in).

118. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Andropod:
    Did anyone else notice the team dynamic without Hall?Will the team winning without him give him enough humility to listen to Coach?

ps. where’s the evidence he isn’t listening to the coach?

ABC_RULE: Thanks so much, excellent first hand account

120. justDOit says:

ABC_Rule:

,,,Those of you who go to the home games may know this already.,,

121. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit: If you mean Tier 1 fans, they’ve all gone to sleep by now, or are being fed peeled grapes and coca leaves.

“sipping tea and oranges that come all the way from China”?

122. Mr DeBakey says:

“Does Arco have the most value contract in the league?”

T Gilbert, I think
    Though, its close.

Long-term, Arcobello is likely lost against the starry sky

123. "Steve Smith" says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

…for you’ve touched her perfect body with your elbow.

(I can’t remember who did that parody, but other lines included “…tea and oranges that come all the way from Safeway”, and “…and you think it’s really profound ’cause you’re high.” If I get really motivated, maybe I’ll Google it someday.)

(Also, the original definitely didn’t include anything about sipping oranges.)

124. Colonel Obvious says:

Henry,

Seriously. Arcobello playing well has nothing to do with Gagner. I would hope there is one thing we can all agree on, and that is that 1) you can’t have enough good players, and 2) the Oilers don’t have enough good players.

Ryan Jones still sucks though good play on his goal.

125. slopitch says:

I just read all 500+ comments. What a roller coaster of emotions. I look forward to your post tomorrow LT.

Eberle looks great. Belov and Petry are solid. The kids will come around. Pitlick looks like a useful bottom 6 player. Oilers almost salvaged a horrible start to the roadie. Hall may be gone but I think the pdo has some recovering to do.

Watching Eakins is actually interesting. He’s always teaching and pushing peoples buttons. Seeing Gaudzic or jones play over Yak bugs me – but it must kill Yak. In the big picture though, Yak is a stallion that needs some guidance. He’ll be fine.

126. Colonel Obvious says:

The Habs blogs are complaining about the officiating and all the cheap shots the Oilers were laying on the Canadians. Some questions.

1) Did this happen?
    2) If it did, am I biased for not seeing it?
    3) If it did happen are the Oilers not as soft as we think?
    4) Does every fanbase think their team is bad when they lose and good when they win?
    5) Are we overthinking this?

127. Andropod says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’m having an eery memory of 2011-12 when some fans over-indulged in the correlation of winning games with Barker in the lineup and losing games with Hemsky.

ps. where’s the evidence he isn’t listening to the coach?

Hey Rom, no offense, but take a look at my lengthy prior post where I attempted to explain my line of thought, about the loss of Hall, and my thoughts about the what constants remain from the Dithers teams. Then let’s have this discussion :)

128. Andropod says:

slopitch:

Eberle looks great.Belov and Petry are solid. The kids will come around. Pitlick looks like a useful bottom 6 player. Oilers almost salvaged a horrible start to the roadie. Hall may be gone but I think the pdo has some recovering to do.

Yak is a wild Tatar, bred from the fiercest warriors of the near East. I hope Eakins read up on their culture of discipline before he embarked on the taming of the Yak but then I haven’t seen him dragging Yak around with his left leg tied to a wild stallion’s tail yet……

129. jamang says:

if we ever have a healthy line up

hall RNH hemmer
    perron arco eberle
    yak Gordon gagner
    joenssu acton smyth

we should develop pitlick a little more I think. but these lines are solid throughout and you can actually give each line decent minutes. though I expect ak to be traded for a number one d still. in which case joensu or smyth will slide up and pitlick can come in or something.

I really hate needing a facepuncher. pitliick throws hard hits is fast, and forechecks hard.
    jones seems like a player that could replace smyth. hes like a less experienced young and foolish smyth. but he should also dvelop. idk why fans want omark in the lineup too. we need size up front.

I also think we will see hemmer go if his value continues to increase. for a great solid checking winger with some skill. like a pitlick on some roids.

130. Zelepukin says:

Colonel Obvious:
    Henry,

Seriously.Arcobello playing well has nothing to do with Gagner.I would hope there is one thing we can all agree on, and that is that 1) you can’t have enough good players, and 2) the Oilers don’t have enough good players.

Ryan Jones still sucks though good play on his goal.

Agreed. Arco and Ebs have been are two most consistently reliable players.

131. Zelepukin says:

Hemmer is also good for at least one off-side a game.

Colonel Obvious:
    The Habs blogs are complaining about the officiating and all the cheap shots the Oilers were laying on the Canadians.Some questions.

1) Did this happen?
    2) If it did, am I biased for not seeing it?
    3) If it did happen are the Oilers not as soft as we think?
    5) Are we overthinking this?

1. No
    2. No
    3. The point is moot
    4. God yes
    5. That’s what we do

133. Genjutsu says:

This last post was worth reading all 532 comments for. Gold, just plain gold.

134. DeadmanWaking says:

lance: specifically footage shot from under the scoreboard, above centre ice

The Footage the NFL Won’t Show You

The NFL makes a handful of plays from the All 22 available on its web site for a fee, but they’re often so blurry the players’ numbers aren’t visible. Earlier this month, the league quietly asked fans, through a survey site, whether they would pay up to $100 to watch an online feed of the All 22.

News of the survey made its way to NFL message boards and fan sites, where the response among football obsessives was wildly positive. “Yes! Yes! Yes!” said one message-board post. Another said, “The All-22 tape would be amazing. We’d actually be able to see what the safeties are doing.

On a Buffalo Bills fan site called “The Buffalo Range,” one message-board member said “I’ve been dying for them to release it for years. Please help me stuff the ballot box.”

The NFL says the league wasn’t actually serious about releasing the footage. The survey was meant only to gauge fan interest, Aiello says. “There’s not a product in development,” he says. “This is a long way from becoming a reality, if ever.”

This is the main reason I don’t bother to watch many games on TV. One can only fully appreciate RNH’s genius if you can see what he can see, preferably at 1/10th speed.

Not the first time I’ve posted this BTW. Most likely the last occasion only came to the attention of the hiatus die-hards.

I do feel for Burnt Jersey. But I also feel a bit like Aragorn introducing himself to four slavering hobbits. “Are you angry? YEESSSSS!!!!!!. Not nearly angry enough. I know what hunts you.”

Our job is to not worry our pretty little heads. Thus I lash myself to the wheel with loose cords and do my best to enjoy the ride.

135. jp says:

Also, we’re not last! (In the West; at least for the moment).

And damn, there are some ugly teams in the East. Buf, NYR and Phi all getting outscored more than 2:1. Wow.

136. russ99 says:

Lewis Grant,

I absolutely refuse to believe that the only way to win is to play a Phoenix, Dallas, New Jersey, Nashville style hit, clutch and grab game. Seems to me that’s the only way to win if you don’t have talent, which we do.

Look at the two teams were supposedly emulating in our rebuild, Pittsburgh and Chicago: does Hossa, Kane, Crosby and Malkin go out and “hit someone every shift” to paraphrase Yakupov?

No, those teams let their skill players play with skill and have lines of shutdown defensive players, that the current Oilers regime seems to not be able to grasp. Odd, since MacT almost won the cup with that kind of setup.

The real issue here isn’t the system per se, it’s that Eakins expects every player to do the same thing, regardless of their skill level and defensive acumen. Btw: Renney did the exact same thing and lost the room.

And the only player to break out from that so far is Hemsky (who has been more responsible defensively, granted) and I can’t tell if Eakins has taken the reins off his best in form and most creative player or Hemmer has decided to pass on the “square peg” nonsense since he’s an impending FA.

137. TheGreatMutato says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Sorry lads, I’m done.

One does not simply quit Oilers. There is evil there that does not sleep and the Great Eye is ever watchful.

Though I suppose I have a box in my basement flooded with second-had Oilers gear that may attest to the contrary. There are no prime items left, having much of this collection of ‘jilted-fan-discards’ been given away to charities, second-hand shops and the like. Still, it is perhaps a testament to my own stubborn nature as a fan that I keep accepting more of these tokens of rejected fandom from others who have had the strength to make a clean break.

That said, if anyone wants an Ethan Moreau jersey covered in draft beer and hot sauce, I’m your guy.

138. Romulus Apotheosis says:

"Steve Smith":
    Romulus Apotheosis,

…for you’ve touched her perfect body with your elbow.

(I can’t remember who did that parody, but other lines included “…tea and oranges that come all the way from Safeway”, and “…and you think it’s really profound ’cause you’re high.”If I get really motivated, maybe I’ll Google it someday.)

(Also, the original definitely didn’t include anything about sipping oranges.)

In my head it will always be “sipping” not sure why… “she feeds you” is far more personal. maybe this episode will help me along.

Andropod: Hey Rom, no offense, but take a look at my lengthy prior post where I attempted to explain my line of thought, about the loss of Hall, and my thoughts about the what constants remain from the Dithers teams. Then let’s have this discussion

None taken. I, however, can’t find your opus on Hall in this thread, perhaps you posted it on a previous day? Cite your work.

139. stevezie says:

TheGreatMutato,

I’m the president of the Guys Who Refuse To Remember Ethan Anyway But Fondly club, but I hate the smell of beer.

« Older Comments