OILERS AT CANUCKS G2 13-14

The Edmonton Oilers haven’t opened a season with two straight losses this century–and that’s a lot of bad hockey teams. The club will be in tough tonight in Vancouver, as the Canucks are a more veteran, established team with better depth and a proven track record. The story for Edmonton going in will be goaltending, the return of the Nuge on the horizon, and the Oilers powerplay. On the Vancouver side, John Tortorella is a general nuisance but his teams will attempt to beat you on the ice and in the alley. Torts double shifted his top two lines at the beginning of the San Jose game and the Canucks came out storming. Should they do that against the young Oilers and the goaltending is wobbly, we may have the game story by 8:30.

dubnyk common1

• Eakins: “I’m not worried about Dubnyk or any of our other players. It’s the nature of the beast whether we won that game or we lost that game, it’s time to prepare for the next one. I expect a lot of our players to bounce back.”

The Oilers and Devan Dubnyk are in an uneasy part of the marriage currently. The new GM spent the summer looking for an upgrade, and the sense we get is that Dubnyk’s the guy–for now. That’s not a great situation for a goaltender, but this is the world Dubnyk lives in and a strong performance tonight likely calms the waters. I don’t think the Oilers will panic, and I believe Dubnyk is capable, but a solid performance tonight is important.

BABY NUGE RETURNS UNHARMED

rnh22

•  Eakins: “I want to start off, there’s been some terrible reporting, people who think they have the inside scoop on Nugent-Hopkins that he’ll play next Saturday against Toronto or Thursday against Montreal. Both false. He will play Monday against New Jersey.”

Eakins certainly doesn’t like misinformation, but then again in the absence of facts media will observe and speculate–I don’t think that’s a surprise nor a sin. Either way, it’s great to have him back and there’s no question his addition will make this team better immediately. He’s been off for a time so there’s going to be some rust, but RNH is a wonder and getting him back now is the best possible result.

• Nugent-Hopkins:“I’m feeling really good. The healing is done and my strength is up where it needs to be.”

No more tripping over bluelines young man. You’re too damn valuable.

aaaPROJECTED LINES AND PAIRINGS

• Hall-Smyth-Hemsky (likely to get the piss cutters)
  • Gordon-Joensuu-Eberle (Kesler line makes sense, Torts may want to run Richardson line)
  • Arcobello-Perron-Yakupov (love the talent, dangerous defensive road line)
  • Acton-Gazdic-Brown (5 minutes, pray God the Sedins don’t get loose against them)
  • Ryan Hamilton has been called up because someone above isn’t 100%.
  • Smid-Petry (were solid in game one, need a big performance)
  • Ference-Schultz (some good, some bad, need consistency)
  • N Schultz-Belov (Schultz struggled, Belov better–this pairing will be vital tonight)
  • Dubnyk (don’t know, suspect he gets the start, has a good history against Canucks)
  • LaBarbera (if things go awry, he might see action tonight)

YAK CITY

yakupov common

Yakupov had a strange night on  Tuesday, his TOI was up and down like a yo-yo, by period. 5:25 in the first, 1:42 in the second, 7:50 in the third. He ended up 16-11 even shot differential and one hopes we see more of him tonight that we did during the 2nd period Tuesday. Yakupov is a young player, but he’s a game breaker and an extremely skilled fellow. Coach Dallas Eakins is going to have to live with defensive lapses and errors, and for my money a period in which Yakupov plays fewer than 2 minutes while Mike Brown plays 2:35 is worthy of an investigation.

SET PIECE

creative

I think there’s so much creativity in this organization now that we’re going to see cool things nightly. Hall, Hemsky, Perron, Eberle, Schultz, Yakupov and Nuge on the way Monday with Gagner rising. Nice group here. I spent much of the week defending Corsi and its fortune telling ability, and the script for the season will get another chapter tonight. Along with it, the PP and PK are going to be major items on the season-long talking points. There’s simply too much talent for a team like Edmonton to struggle for long on the PP, and the GF totals 5×4 and 5×3 should be impressive. On a night like this one, where the oppositions feels it important to announce their presence with authority, powerplay goals may trump the Corsi. PK could be a major story too.

THE LEAD

WILD AT HEART 3

So far this season, there have been 36 goalies in action. The worst EV SP is .818, shared by two goalies: Devan Dubnyk and Roberto Luongo. That’s your headline for tonight.

515 Responses to "OILERS AT CANUCKS G2 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler:
    NIck Schultz tries a no-look pass with the 4th line out against the Bobbsey Twins.Leads to a heap of trouble.Whole game has been like this.

saw that… good description. not sure what he was thinking.

Playing better in the third, but it doesn’t matter. Oilers have pissed away 4 points and I honestly have no idea what the hell they’re doing based on tonight. There seemed to be a plan in the pre-season but this looks like giveaway hockey from here.

3. fuzzy muppet says:

Nick Schultz looks terrible.

They are making terrible low-percentage passes. Two foot passes into the feet of a covered guy. It looks real bad.

4. Kris11 says:

The story of the game is Hall at -4.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think hall is going to go supervillain tonight.

Arcobello has missed more empty nets than anyone in Oiler history.

7. VanOil says:

Maybe the Oilers snuck away from Eakins and had the Poutine Burger at Triple Os. They are playing like a bunch of lard asses.

p.s. if you are a lard ass they are very good, the side of gravy for dipping really makes it

8. Andropod says:

Kris11: The story of the game is Hall at -4.I thought the C experiment would work. Maybe you give it another game, I dunno. But so far, awful experiment.

Nononono Hall goes back to wing, Nuge in with Eberle on his right.

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Katz has stupid glasses.

10. SK Oiler Fan says:

its too bad for arco. he’s getting chances, but no finish. he’ll never get a better chance than this one

11. bookje says:

Bono looks pretty disappointed in his team.

12. Suntory Hanzo says:

I like Acro’s game…but what is the Over/Under on how many chances he needs to score.

13. tcho says:

Yeah, poor guy. I’m really rooting for Arcobello to get a point. Might be his last game for a bit here, and he’s snakebitten.

14. VanOil says:

Arcobello has missed more empty nets than anyone in Oiler history.

Todd Marchant wants his hands back

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

oh and happy b-day Yak (EST). score a goal.

16. FastOil says:

True about centres. I don’t know that Gagner helps this type of play stop. He has more skill of course but I don’t know about less chaos

17. Suntory Hanzo says:

Twins are masters of the pick. I can respect that.

Jesus Christ superstar looks like he’s going to want to have a meeting with MacT after the game.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

can Acton block more of these point shots please. I rather risk injuring him than Gordon.

20. VanOil says:

Parkatti should just post a picture of a hairy eye ball rather than in game Corsi tonight.

21. Andropod says:

Hideous PK

22. tcho says:

Jeebuz they still suck in their own zone.

23. "Steve Smith" says:

When you’re down 5-2 in the game, and being outshot by the same margin in the third period fifteen minutes in, well…

We’re now outhitting them by close to 2-1, though.

24. bookje says:

Batcomputer, please locate any remaining ex-oilers who do not currently work for the organization – we need more advisors!

25. Ribs says:

It’s okay, MacT has shiny things to dangle tonight “Look! Here’s Mess!”

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Jesus Christ superstar

Katz?

Do you see him as some hippy type? is it the hair?

27. bookje says:

Here comes the big comeback, I can feel it in my hairy eyeball!

28. Andropod says:

There goes Hallsy to his new team already ;)

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hahahahahahahahahah

nothing matters

30. russ99 says:

Maybe it’s tune for Grebs to take over for Belov.

Not sure if we can stomach Belov learning on the job like this. Schultz is similarly inexperienced in the defensive end, but his offensive game even things out a bit.

Kinda glad that every one of MacTs moves to make up for acquiring NHL quality (some of which were recently available for under $1M) have backfired… The Hall experiment, Smyth as a first liner, Arco as a top 6 center, rushing Belov and of course putting too many eggs in Dubnyk’s basket.

Hope he learns from this…

31. RMGS says:

A comedic ending is best!

32. Ribs says:

I like how Katz left early to beat traffic.

33. bookje says:

Andropod:
    There goes Hallsy to his new team already

There’s some team spirit building needed I would suggest.

Maybe RNH will fix them.

34. SK Oiler Fan says:

Ribs,

last call for martinis

35. flyfish1168 says:

phlagms 1st in the pacific and we are on the bottom. I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come.

Romulus Apotheosis: MacT

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

well that was absolutely disturbing.

38. Andropod says:

3rd bad game in a row.

39. speeds says:

I know some will rip on Arcobello for not finishing, but lack of production isn’t the first thing to worry about with him at this point, IMO. Everyone has stretches where the puck goes in, doesn’t go in. He’s getting chances and making some plays

40. Diesel says:

With the amount of frustration I feel at times like this, I honestly feel bad for LT.
    I don’t know how you wake up each morning and regroup with the focus and creativity needed to do what you do when it comes to our beloved Oil.

You’re a god damn boss.

41. Andropod says:

Can anyone tell me where we can watch Eakins presser tonight?

42. bookje says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    well that was absolutely disturbing.

43. Ribs says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    Ribs,

last call for martinis

I’ll take ten! Oh– That’s not what you meant. I see. This team does have a unique ability to drive one to alcohol!

44. Bank Shot says:

Dallas said the game against Dallas was the one freebie. Let’s see if he does anything.

45. Gerta Rauss says:

I’d start Labarbera on Monday, and we’ll have a new look with Nuge coming in.

No need to panic just yet.

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I see him as a guy who probably has great ideas and crazy ideas. I bet working for him is a full time job.

sounds about right. JCS made me think of an old hippy, playing hacky-sack in a park somewhere… flowing robes, filthy beard, lots of hair, but maybe slightly balding…

47. B S says:

Wow, if it looks like that Monday night, I might be done for the season. Pat Quinn couldn’t have done worse with a team of ballet dancers.

48. Hammers says:

You start to wonder if Eakins Swarm defence is working . Yak just had 3 shots & missed net each time . What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger . Arco may miss an empty net but I would still keep him & move Hall back to the wing . We need 2 NHL lines = RNH /Hall/ Ebs & Gordon / Hemsky / Smyth . For know Yak & Perron with Arco . . It is either that or are these guys not as good as we think .

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje: Probably more than it should be. It’s two games with 1/2 anew team and a new coach – it still may work out ok.

you’d expect it not to look like catastrophe… more like a long, learning process…

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

body language!!

51. FastOil says:

Better they get smoked than play like that and hang in the game. Embarrassment might clear their minds

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Every Stat!!! Was in EDM’s favor!!! Every Stat!!!!

Hits! Blocked Shots! Faceoffs!

Every Stat!!!

53. Zelepukin says:

So since Hall should never play center ever again, it looks like Arco bought himself some time:

Hall – Nuge – Ebs
    Perron – Gordon – Hemsky
    Smyth – Arco – Yaks
    Brown – Eaton – Gaz

54. SK Oiler Fan says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

the monkeys that record those stats are also drunk. NHL should just stop tracking them

55. FastOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Every Stat!!! Was in EDM’s favor!!! Every Stat!!!!

Hits! Blocked Shots! Faceoffs!

Every Stat!!

Freidman must have superhuman patience

56. Kris11 says:

Zelepukin,

That bottom 6 i bad, especially the non-existent “Eaton.”

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Every Stat!!! Was in EDM’s favor!!! Every Stat!!!!

Hits! Blocked Shots! Faceoffs!

Every Stat!!!

Can we frame this?

Glenn Wisdom!

58. spoiler says:

Healey*: Body Language!

59. spoiler says:

lol, I’m watching on a slight delay, if that isn’t totally obvious.

60. bookje says:

spoiler:
    lol, I’m watching on a slight delay, if that isn’t totally obvious.

I presumed you were just a very slow typer.

61. flyfish1168 says:

Please sit Smyth and Acton next game. Hamiton and Nuge has a better chance of being a difference maker

62. Bank Shot says:

Gerta Rauss:
    I’d start Labarbera on Monday, and we’ll have a new look with Nuge coming in.

No need to panic just yet.

This team has been brought to is by a management team that has run the worst team post lockout by a mile.

The time to panic is long past.

63. TheOtherJohn says:

We are down our 2 best centers. We are playing our best player out of position. We are learning new systems, with a new coach. They will get better. Please mother of god they have to get better: right??

For those of you suggesting Dubnyk was in the top handful of goalies in the league: you better have awfully large hands if that is the case.

We have a small team in a division with 4 large teams: Anaheim, SJS, LAK, Vancouver

64. bookje says:

TheOtherJohn:

Didn’t you read Steve’s comment – The Oilers outhit the Canucks – I also think they won all of their fights!

65. Kris11 says:

Yeah, I finished panicking a long time ago. I went through self-flagellation and then catatonia after that. I have now arrived at a Ahab-like hatred of the world.

66. TheOtherJohn says:

Well if we out hit and out fought them, it’s all good!!!

2-1 in shots against may or may not be problematic but it is a very small sample size

67. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I don’t care. I like those Sedins. good guys.

68. Scotty LaDouche says:

2014 draft rankings incoming!

69. VOR says:

I love Oilers fans. Through my many years of playing, coaching, and watching sports they have remained the gold standard for fandom. Sixteen year old girls the world over look to them for leadership.

70. FastOil says:

TheOtherJohn:

For those of you suggesting Dubnyk was in the top handful of goalies in the league: youbetter have awfully large hands if that is the case.

Dubnyk will recover. He is nervous and getting used to new equipment. He has enough at bats that we know what he is and it’s not this.

It is early and everything mentioned is true except the size thing. The concern here is not losing, it’s not showing up and the “talent” not taking the step forward, to borrow the wise sage Healey’s phrase, and playing like men instead of boys.

If you won’t focus enough to make the play that is at hand, be it on the boards, a pass, clearing the zone with the correctly chosen outlet, supporting the puck, covering your position properly, you don’t win in the world’s best league. Better players than these have failed for the same reasons.

Eakin’s and everybodies job is to get them to listen and play together. Having more talent won’t do it. As I mentioned before Eakins is nostril deep IMO. Can’t imagine he’s feeling good with his NHL coaching career starting like this.

Sedins are piss cutters, they just are.

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

ummm… so did K. Acton holler at a nuck?

that’s new.

73. Andropod says:

If I coached anywhere else I would not want to come here. If I played on any other team I would not want to come here. If I was a player in this team, I would not want to play here. If I played on any other team I would look to the Oilers as a game to ice your AHL squad and still get your 2 or 4 points. We got beaten by the Dallas AHL team. and then the Jets and then the Canucks. I think a good AHL team could have beaten us tonight – soundly. I think OKC could have beaten us tonight.
    What I saw was a disorganized, demoralized, dispirited effort by a team that has quickly fallen apart.

But it’s not the end of the world, in and of themselves this is a coach with a very good track record – as were all the others, some of whom had NHL experience – this is a good combination of players with more ok players in the wings for when ours get injured or sick, and Katz apparently will spare no expense to get them right.

So I’m sure that there will be some ass kicking up and down from management to coaches to players and they will figure out some new line combinations and perhaps simplify things a lot, and put together lines of complimentary players of the 1/2/3/4 type, and so on, and hopefully become a little better from now on against each team they play. By that I mean get beaten just a little less each time around as they learn and grow together, then we’ll get another #1 draft pick that we will spend on a defenseman this time, or maybe a big center, and then about this time next year we will have won both games, we’ll all be excited again and we’ll all pull out our plans for that parade again.

For now, it may be less painful to stay drunk, refrain from watching actual games, read what happened the next morning, and if they string two wins together in a row, see if they can get a 3rd.

Enjoy while you can, because I can’t see it being long before Hall pulls a Pronger on us and off we go again.

I’m not a troll, I dearly want our Oilers to win, but like a person caught in a backwash, the shore that would represent a Stanley Cup Run is getting more and more distant. But then tomorrow really is another day, and with these people all in the same room, who knows, maybe they will just figure it all out and maybe the loss of those two centers took us from competitive to where we were tonight. Sigh.

74. Brackenburied says:

Brackenburied:
    Bring on the ‘Nucks. Dubnikov tells everyone to f’off, 4-0 Oil.

Clearly I need to stop drinking beer in the morning.

75. Brackenburied says:

Watched the game recorded. It was date night which seems to end quite a a bit differently than it did 20 years ago. Things I learned: Arco needs glasses, I won’t miss Sholdtz, wtf Dubnikov, as noted previously Katz going for the Bono.

76. Brackenburied says:

Oh yeah, and E. Friedman is a good shit.

77. brackenbury says:

Kris11,

This kid is dying at center ice pos. U can c it all over his face.
    The frustration, and if u were really watching…… the misery
    And most importantly the UNHAaPINESS. This kid is a gifted,prototypical,
    Power forward at his NATURAL position on the boards. I get why
    The oilers desperatley wanted ( almost needed,because of the lack
    Of true depth at C. ) this trial to work. But its now, what a 4,5 ? Game
    Flop. Imo, the most important player on this team is now UNHAPPY!
    For the love of ( insert your spiritual leader here) its time to pull
    The pin on the experiment. With Nuge back on Monday,their is
    No need to continue with this failed excersise. Trust me,the switchback
    Will pay immediate dividens. #4 is one of the best in the game
    On the LW. Keep Sharcabello (stone hands arcabello) in his pivot
    Position until things get sorted out a little more. Whatever it takes. Get r’done!

78. Fixall with Rexall says:

I’m just throwing a doughnut on the ice here, but it doesn’t take a doughnut thrown on the ice to figure out where all the doughnuts are.They are on the ice. They were thrown there.

#edmontonwaffles
    #terryjoneswillmakeyoufamous

79. Brackenburied says:

Fixall with Rexall,

I think there’s a hole in your argument.

80. brackenbury says:

RE: ” swarm defence ”…….. catchy, it sounds impressive enough.
    I have no clue wtf I’m looking for though. Has anybody out there
    Actually seen this in play? I mean I had a few wobbelys while
    Watching the game. Which turned out to b good medicine.
    And now I understand its probably better to go with the 8 pack,
    On game nights. Going with the standard 6pk for a Sat. Night
    Oiler marquee is a mistake I will not make again.
    But I digress, swarm defence? What am I missing?
    Looks more like ”farm defence”, as u all well know iswhat they play
    In leagues like the central hockey. League. Or the southern proffesional
    Hockey league. That was about the caliber of defence I saw from the
    Mighty oil machine last night. Grrrrrr!

81. brackenbury says:

Brackenburied,
    Agreed my brother with equally good taste for former
    Oiler greats. . EFre is a good shit

82. Brackenburied says:

brackenbury:
    Brackenburied,
    Agreed my brother with equally good taste for former
    Oiler greats. . EFre is a good shit

They hired Messier yesterday (or was that today) it’s only a matter of time until the Brack is Back.

83. brackenbury says:

Brackenburied,

Hahaha! I love it ! Even through my foggey head
    I can think of a half doz. Players id dump
    To make room for that to go down.
    Hell ya!

84. brackenbury says:

Zelepukin,

I’m losing sleep over tryin to figure out
    Who this eaton is? His minutes must of
    Been very limited. He no doubt had a better
    Night than oh, 13-14 other guys dressed
    Last night.

85. brackenbury says:

And that laura Dern pic. From wild at heart,
    Hot. SCALDING HOT ! Gnite fellas

86. Brackenburied says:

Wild at Heart is awesome. There is a head scratching moment that no other director director could pull off.

87. hunter1909 says:

Gotta love how stranger Eakins rides into town, throws his weight around by dissing Taylor Hall while handing the captaincy to another total stranger. Wot a surprise…another low level plugger on a cup winning team…don’t want to have a talented captain, do we?

Then he makes like Old Timey Coach, by playing a washed up plug Ryan Smyth on the 1st line, while banishing genius-in-making Yakupov, presumably for not back checking hard enough.

Thank fuck Mark Messier’s back. He’s going to be replacing Kevin ’6 rings’ Lowe in no time, the way this shit season is playing out.

Got to keep Bucky and Steve Smith around though. They’ve got lots of cool stories to tell Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle while they’re sitting on the bench watching Smyth playing on the power play.

88. hunter1909 says:

Ference = Horcoff 2.0

Boyo boy do the oilers know how to promote mediocrity. Another mediocre captain…ffs this is a fricking joke.

Oh yeah…he works out with some local shlubs every morning, so that must make him captain material.

Eakins is already starting to grate. Reminding me of that little chickenhawk from the Bugs Bunny cartoons. ‘Chickenhawk’. That works.

89. cabbiesmacker says:

I’m looking forward to Nuge and Gagner getting back into the lineup so we can have one NHL centre in the top 9.

90. Fixall with Rexall says:

hunter1909,

Your belt and shoelaces, hand them over.

91. cabbiesmacker says:

hunter1909:

Hunter? You really believe Hall should have been named captain? Leading by example and all. Having some smarts and maturity, (def not Hall’s forte)

Henrik Sedin, Joe Thornton, Ryan Getzlaf, Dustin Brown, Shane Doan, Mark Giordano agree to disagree.

Oilers are suffering from lack of leadership in a big way and I don’t really see a candidate “other” than Ference by my eye. Schmeebly? 2 years from now it should probably be Nuge long…long before Hall.

92. cabbiesmacker says:

I’m blaming LT for the whole debacle. Having a pic of Adams in the header probably put the team off their game as well. That’s some bad chicken right there.

Mediocre expectations lead to mediocre results.

C’mon big fella. There’s a whole lot of really hot women out there.

93. hunter1909 says:

Fixall with Rexall: Your belt and shoelaces, hand them over.

Every once in a while one of the crazy smart posters on Lowetide schools someone. Today it’s my turn.

cabbiesmacker: Hunter? You really believe Hall should have been named captain? Leading by example and all.

The last time I saw Oiler’s win an NHL game, Hall was head and shoulders leading the team on the ice.

Obviously he’s not going to be much good at attending Variety Club breakfasts like Ference, Horcoff, or that original bastion of mediocrity, Jason Smith.

94. Hammers says:

But I would keep him at center & put Hall back to the wing on Monday.

95. Andropod says:

Has ChickenHawk lost this team?
    MacT produced better numbers than any of his successors. His worst team was better than any that followed.

96. russ99 says:

I’ve been saying for a few years now that the Oilers won’t be a playoff team until they have a shutdown line that can at least partially neutralize the toughs.

So far, this season is what happens when you feed the Hall line (with can’t-skate Smyth and no-Backcheck Hemsky) against the toughs.

We have one of those players in Gordon, and it would be two if Joensuu can play consistently,
    Still need a third.

Btw- If we don’t ice RNH – Hall – Eberle against lesser competition on Monday, that just says Eakins is more interested in balanced lines that he is in winning.

97. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, did Eakins call K. Acton a “tiny guy” looking to fight?

98. Andropod says:

russ99,

Gordon-Joensuu-Hemsky?
    Arco/Gags-Perron-Yak City?

99. Andropod says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Rom: Isn’t going there like picking feathers off a dead bird?

100. Zipdot says:

Lowetide: Sedins are piss cutters, they just are.

I don’t get it, you’re saying that they wear Navy garrison covers?? What is the other meaning of that phrase besides the military meaning for the hat? Info appreciated, I’m very curious. :)

101. Zipdot says:

Andropod: Will MacT need to take over coaching, and will the Moose need to step in as GM to right the ship?

A boy can dream!

Zipdot: I don’t get it, you’re saying that they wear Navy garrison covers??What is the other meaning of that phrase besides the military meaning for the hat?Info appreciated, I’m very curious. :)

103. russ99 says:

Andropod,

I’d like to see Gordon – Perron – Joensuu as our second like against tough sledding,

Then put Arcobello or Acton between Yak and Hemsky.

104. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Seems to mean it in this way:

the random other definitions are plentiful. It seems your “cap” definition is the original slang which may have led to its current usage… the way a “sharp” “tidy” “clever” item can come to work as a metaphor for character, action, quality etc.

105. Andropod says:

We cannot afford to lose (as in disengage mentally) Hall or any other of our core. Hall was prepared to suck it up and play a position he was uncomfortable in for the rest of the team. With 20/20 hindsight we were infected with Moose Hallunications and maybe could have pulled in Eberle instead who was more keen.

But good on Hallsy for trying as he did, now Nuge is back, we need him to rebuild his confidence in his natural position, while I’m sure he has a greater respect for the Centre position than he ever had before. Apparently moving Hall from Center to LW back when was visionary, now we know why.

OMG what a train wreck.

Nuit Blanche in Toronto last night, plus a little club-hopping to say hello to all of my favourite bartenders.

From the headlines, and skimming the blogs and the comments, I take it, there really isn’t much point view the copy of the game on the PVR.

Clearly, it was all Ralph Krueger’s fault, and the blogosphere should continue blaming him for being a lousy coach.

24th place after 30th, 30th, and 29th clearly was clearly a coaching failure. Taylor Hall, 2nd, in the Western Conference scoring race was clearly a coaching failure. Yakupov, top rookie point getter, clearly a coaching failure. Turning Paajarvi into an asset that could be turned into David Perron, clearly a coaching failure. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, a complete 200-foot hockey player at nineteen, clearly a coaching failure. Top decile in special teams, clearly a coaching failure.

Yep, coaching so that your good players improve and thrive, and exposing your bad players for being unable to play is bad coaching.

Good players win hockey games. Not systems or tactics. When you don’t have the horses, systems or tactics are counterproductive. When you don’t have the horses, you want to make sure your good horses thrive and get better, and your bad horses die. You want to recognize the strengths of your good horses, and not put them in position to fail. Krueger was shorthanded at centre to. He wasn’t tempted to put the core of a future of the franchise in a position to fail, just to make up for management incompetence. Eakins and MacT’s first decision was to put Hall in a position to fail.

107. Zipdot says:

Lowetide: Piss cutter is an old timey phrase (my Dad used it, so it probably did come from the war) but the way he used it was “exceptional” or “beyond expected” level. When my Dad said someone was a piss cutter, I knew he respected what they did and how they did it.

Cool, thanks! Now it’s just a matter of time until I casually drop it into a conversation. I guess something good came out of that game after all!

108. G Money says:

This team will go as Hall and Dubynk go, moreso than any others.

Dubynk at .831 (third worst in the league) and Hall at 1 point and -5 after two games.

It’s easy to be down in the dumps, but holy hell, no way that continues.

Right?

RIGHT??!??!

109. DeadmanWaking says:

godot10: Hey, but all the blogosphere said Krueger was a horrible coach. They can’t be wrong.

There were two components to this, aside from the obvious (losing).

One is the rel-Corsi plummet previously only seen on Bugs Bunny. The other is the narrative post hoc. People want closure. Krueger never had a chance to make a major course correction. We don’t know how many of his own faults he accurately perceived and whether he had the resources to lather, rinse, and repeat with fortified shampoo. MacT is not paid to bring these narratives to a satisfactory resolution. He’s paid to put his marbles behind what he feels is the best path forward. As a general principle of morale, the recently departed is sent packing with more than his share of the black cloud. Deserve’s got nothing to do with it.

Krueger also gets criticized for how he balanced out ice time. This issue is more complex than it first appears. Eakins worries me. Many endurance athletes get into a “mind over matter” mentality, and then they write a book which drifts into “mind over reality”. These people are very good at sounding convincing. Bruce worries about Eakins saying he can run his forwards 26 minutes a night, as well he should.

Just like Krueger, we need to give Eakins time to discover the error of his ways, and fix them if he can. The playoff chase is maddening. This is exactly the problem described in 500 more pages than required by The Fifth Discipline. The fix for major dysfunction is to push the elusive profitable quarter to the back burner and focus on improving core metrics. Once you turn the corner, then concern over profit regains its proper role.

The longer the company goes without a profitable quarter, the louder the voices become shutting down a steady pursuit of fundamentals. Welcome to the gridlock of the damned.

110. hunter1909 says:

DeadmanWaking: Eakins worries me.

Eakins starts appearing like the school wimp who joins the police force so he can return and arrest everyone.

DeadmanWaking: The longer the company goes without a profitable quarter, the louder the voices become shutting down a steady pursuit of fundamentals.

One of the pesky little things dogging Kevin Lowe.

DeadmanWaking: Welcome to the gridlock of the damned.

‘Gridlock of the Damned.’ What’s this? A new Oiler fan blog?

111. Professor Q says:

godot10,

I agree, Krueger received too much flak.

112. "Steve Smith" says:

DeadmanWaking,

I understood your entire post without thinking about it. What happened to you, man?

113. G Money says:

Hmmm, so I gather the consensus is that after two games (without our top two centres AND our best player playing his first two games at a new and challenging position AND our otherwise reliable goalie stinking it up) we can now definitively conclude that Krueger wasn’t so bad and Eakins is? That about right?

114. Zipdot says:

So I read this blog before tuning in to the game… I think that the comments are a little worse than the actual game… Petry had a beauty there in the first and there were more than a couple really good chances there that could have easily tied up the game and more.

Dubnyk needs better numbers, which I don’t think he’ll be able to manage, but other than that, things aren’t so bad.

115. Zipdot says:

And Hunter, man, you might need to take a couple games off… You’re really stressing out here and it’s causing you to seriously exaggerate, dramatize, and sensationalize things. And Andropod with the Hall will do a Pronger comments, come off it!

« Older Comments