OILERS AT CANUCKS G2 13-14

The Edmonton Oilers haven’t opened a season with two straight losses this century–and that’s a lot of bad hockey teams. The club will be in tough tonight in Vancouver, as the Canucks are a more veteran, established team with better depth and a proven track record. The story for Edmonton going in will be goaltending, the return of the Nuge on the horizon, and the Oilers powerplay. On the Vancouver side, John Tortorella is a general nuisance but his teams will attempt to beat you on the ice and in the alley. Torts double shifted his top two lines at the beginning of the San Jose game and the Canucks came out storming. Should they do that against the young Oilers and the goaltending is wobbly, we may have the game story by 8:30.

dubnyk common1

• Eakins: “I’m not worried about Dubnyk or any of our other players. It’s the nature of the beast whether we won that game or we lost that game, it’s time to prepare for the next one. I expect a lot of our players to bounce back.”

The Oilers and Devan Dubnyk are in an uneasy part of the marriage currently. The new GM spent the summer looking for an upgrade, and the sense we get is that Dubnyk’s the guy–for now. That’s not a great situation for a goaltender, but this is the world Dubnyk lives in and a strong performance tonight likely calms the waters. I don’t think the Oilers will panic, and I believe Dubnyk is capable, but a solid performance tonight is important.

BABY NUGE RETURNS UNHARMED

rnh22

•  Eakins: “I want to start off, there’s been some terrible reporting, people who think they have the inside scoop on Nugent-Hopkins that he’ll play next Saturday against Toronto or Thursday against Montreal. Both false. He will play Monday against New Jersey.”

Eakins certainly doesn’t like misinformation, but then again in the absence of facts media will observe and speculate–I don’t think that’s a surprise nor a sin. Either way, it’s great to have him back and there’s no question his addition will make this team better immediately. He’s been off for a time so there’s going to be some rust, but RNH is a wonder and getting him back now is the best possible result.

• Nugent-Hopkins:“I’m feeling really good. The healing is done and my strength is up where it needs to be.”

No more tripping over bluelines young man. You’re too damn valuable.

aaaPROJECTED LINES AND PAIRINGS

• Hall-Smyth-Hemsky (likely to get the piss cutters)
  • Gordon-Joensuu-Eberle (Kesler line makes sense, Torts may want to run Richardson line)
  • Arcobello-Perron-Yakupov (love the talent, dangerous defensive road line)
  • Acton-Gazdic-Brown (5 minutes, pray God the Sedins don’t get loose against them)
  • Ryan Hamilton has been called up because someone above isn’t 100%.
  • Smid-Petry (were solid in game one, need a big performance)
  • Ference-Schultz (some good, some bad, need consistency)
  • N Schultz-Belov (Schultz struggled, Belov better–this pairing will be vital tonight)
  • Dubnyk (don’t know, suspect he gets the start, has a good history against Canucks)
  • LaBarbera (if things go awry, he might see action tonight)

YAK CITY

yakupov common

Yakupov had a strange night on  Tuesday, his TOI was up and down like a yo-yo, by period. 5:25 in the first, 1:42 in the second, 7:50 in the third. He ended up 16-11 even shot differential and one hopes we see more of him tonight that we did during the 2nd period Tuesday. Yakupov is a young player, but he’s a game breaker and an extremely skilled fellow. Coach Dallas Eakins is going to have to live with defensive lapses and errors, and for my money a period in which Yakupov plays fewer than 2 minutes while Mike Brown plays 2:35 is worthy of an investigation.

SET PIECE

creative

I think there’s so much creativity in this organization now that we’re going to see cool things nightly. Hall, Hemsky, Perron, Eberle, Schultz, Yakupov and Nuge on the way Monday with Gagner rising. Nice group here. I spent much of the week defending Corsi and its fortune telling ability, and the script for the season will get another chapter tonight. Along with it, the PP and PK are going to be major items on the season-long talking points. There’s simply too much talent for a team like Edmonton to struggle for long on the PP, and the GF totals 5×4 and 5×3 should be impressive. On a night like this one, where the oppositions feels it important to announce their presence with authority, powerplay goals may trump the Corsi. PK could be a major story too.

THE LEAD

WILD AT HEART 3

So far this season, there have been 36 goalies in action. The worst EV SP is .818, shared by two goalies: Devan Dubnyk and Roberto Luongo. That’s your headline for tonight.

515 Responses to "OILERS AT CANUCKS G2 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. mumbai max says:

Game 1 was a good looking loss. Now we need a win. Ugly, sloppy, or lucky, we need a W now.

2. jb says:

Oilers show a little glimpse of their next 10 year dominance over the Canucks. 10-0 Oilers. Hamilton hurts a Sedin.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“He’s been off for a time so there’s going to be some rust, but RNH is a wonder and getting him back now is the best possible result”

I think this is why we might see him get the soft assignments for a week or two after he returns. I could also see Eakins putting Joensuu or some other meat out there with him (security theatre).

“No more tripping over bluelines young man. You’re too damn valuable.”

Stern, concerned Dad. priceless.

———-
    “Acton-Gazdic-Brown (5 minutes, pray God the Sedins don’t get loose against them)”

Some part of me wants to watch this. For two reasons, really… as a devoted hater of the nucks, I just can’t bring myself to loath the Sedins. I enjoy them too much. They are the only nucks I have a genuine affection for. Also, I’d love to see the “meat chasers” cheer on their meat as they get embarrassed by flying out of position to take reckless hits that miss and see all the pucks find twine.

Something like this might have a ripple affect not unlike the Clarkson or Parros incidents and finally remind people that meat is a waste of a roster spot.

——–
    “There’s simply too much talent for a team like Edmonton to struggle for long on the PP”

I don’t know… how are we going to manage without Ryan Whitney ;)

——–

sorry, end crank old person ranting.

4. edmoil3 says:

I’m begging you to stop putting the center first in your lines

Smyth hall Hemsky

Not

Hall smyth hemsky

edmoil3:
    I’m begging you to stop putting the center first in your lines

Smyth hall Hemsky

Not

Hall smyth hemsky

Sorry. Not trying to be offensive, that’s just the way it makes sense to me. If I could go back to 1970 and change it I would, but we’re here now.

6. "Steve Smith" says:

Lowetide: If I could go back to 1970 and change it I would,

No you wouldn’t, you filthy liar.

7. Andropod says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Rom said: “Side bar…. can we trim the number of gifs? I really do enjoy them, in moderation. I may be alone on this, but I find them distracting when I’m trying to read the text and there are 3 images shuffling around on the screen at the same time.”

I love the gif’s! I’d suggest it’s just a matter of positioning so you can scroll them off the screen when you are trying to read the text. Oh, and if you zoom in enough the gifs disappear anyway ;)

8. Logan91 says:

Lets hope the Canucks keep struggling under their new system tonight!

I predict Hemsky scoring a beauty on a horrible Nucks turn over.

“Steve Smith” lol. Right of course. If I could go back to 1970, I would warn my Mom NOT to throw out this hockey card
    http://dogfacedgremlin.blogspot.ca/2012/07/that-card-show.html (the Orr card, it was the best thing about the 1970s)

re gifs: It’s become an obsession, I blame that blue jean girl walking away.

10. theres oil in virginia says:

Andropod,
    Agreed. Good suggestion to zoom. One of those gifs is particularly distracting.

edmoil3,
    I hate to admit this, but I’m starting to appreciate the CLR order. You can easily see who the center is at a glance. Of course, if the Oilers could stop shuffling centers this wouldn’t be a problem.

11. rickithebear says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I don’t know… how are we going to manage without Ryan Whitney

Based on performancce of our other defence
    we were 34/169 20.1 % #&
    No whitney -5G
    29/169 17.1% #17

Worst case 5 less wins.
    More likely which would be 2 less.
    we pick 4 0r 5 instead of 7.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Willis with a tidy little write-up on the Barons game last night:

Looks like Jones is taking the right attitude. Not sure what to make of Eager not being there yet. I think Gernat might need a half season in the ECHL to settle the transition nerves. Sounds like Lander can still push the river at this level… that’s good, it looked like maybe he took a step back from last season… now to push him over the edge…

Glad to see his report on Malholtra. good for him.

Andropod: I love the gif’s! I’d suggest it’s just a matter of positioning so you can scroll them off the screen when you are trying to read the text. Oh, and if you zoom in enough the gifs disappear anyway

Ha! I’ve tried those things.

There are so many now, I can’t escape them no matter how I position the page or how far I zoom in, and it must be a browser deal, but mine don’t disappear no matter how far in I go.

At any rate, like I said, I love them too! I’d just prefer a single one, but I’m just happy to be here so it’s no great concern of mine.

13. Radman says:

Redheads. Absolutely stunning or absolutely not. Not much in between. Kinda like Dubnyk’s game..

Okay, I removed two of the gifs you bastards. Now, you have to listen to this

40 years later, it’s still beautiful.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37dw2r45Xzg

Great tune!

That shirt, though. wow!

reminds me of this mess:

Steely Dan. Jeff skunk Baxter with the greast guitar I believe, he was a Doobie a few years later.

17. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: The gifs are brilliant!

They make me laugh, they make me cry.

Keep them coming, because they’re really one of the cool things while reading about the oilers and let’s face it, we need all the distraction we can get.

18. hunter1909 says:

I’m wondering if this is going to be the year when the team crashes and burns and starts off 3-8…

Eakins finally realises wtf he’s doing to the team, waives Ryan Smyth(no takers lol), sticks Yakupov on a line with Hall and Gagner and instantly everything gels.

19. hunter1909 says:

I’ll be jumping on the bandwagon as fast as I can, once they start winning.

20. gd says:

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Winnipeg beating LA last night. My biggest worry from Tuesday night was that the Winnipeg team that they outplayed could be one of the worst teams in the league.

The concern whether our goaltending is good enough, just means we are finally back to where the majority fan bases are. I would say Chicago and maybe San Jose and St Louis are the only teams in the West that will make the playoffs even if they get below average goaltending. I think LA is more vulnerable than people realize. Outside of Doughty and Voynov, their D is very slow, and Kopitar/Richards/Stoll all look like they have lost a step, both in the playoffs and so far this year.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

yep. skunk.

if you are interested in low production value, terrible acting and the arcana of of late 70s lite rock, this comedy series is a vision to behold (warning… you have to kind of give in to it and get a few under your belt before it grabs you… and the second episode is much better than the 1st):

Uh, oh.

Gabe isn’t updating his site for this year.

Still showing 12/13 as the latest year.

If he’s done with it, I’ll miss it dearly.

Edit:

David doesn’t have stats.hockeyanalysis.com up for this year yet either.

Maybe its too early?

23. oilswell says:

theres oil in virginia: I hate to admit this, but I’m starting to appreciate the CLR order. You can easily see who the center is at a glance.

I appreciate the quirk but I can’t imagine this blog is 100% brain dump without some translation to make it more readable, but for whatever reason this order escapes the translation process.

Woodguy:
    Uh, oh.

Gabe isn’t updating his site for this year.

Still showing 12/13 as the latest year.

If he’s done with it, I’ll miss it dearly.

Edit:

David doesn’t have stats.hockeyanalysis.com up for this year yet either.

Maybe its too early?

Yeah, it’s usually a full week and then a little for Gabe.

gd:

WIN has 30.5 shots for per game so far and 37 (!) shot against.

Should be a fun high event team to watch.

I can’t see the sustain with that goalie though.

Currently they are shooting a modest 16.3% as a team.

God I love small sample sizes.

26. Numenius says:

edmoil3:
    I’m begging you to stop putting the center first in your lines

Smyth hall Hemsky

Not

Hall smyth hemsky

Many of us feel the same way, thanks for trying.

On the other hand, as Rom said, I’m also just happy to be here, so it’s no great concern of mine.

About Eakins’ snarky remark to the media about Nuge coming back on Monday, I got the sense that he wasn’t so much blaming them or being annoyed as making fun of them for guessing wrongly. Something like this:

“You guys thought you’re so smart guessing that Nuge will come back against Montreal or Toronto based on your secret information and deductive skills. Well ha ha, we tricked you all! Nuge is coming back on Monday!”

Love that soccer gif. And the redhead, well, it goes without saying…

27. theres oil in virginia says:

oilswell: Is that why all the cool coaches diagram it in that order on the whiteboard in the dressing room?

Perhaps: C – L,R would be an improvement?

Woodguy,
    They took advantage of a couple of seeing-eye shots again too. Made Quick look awful at times until you saw the replay. (He looked incredible at times too though.)

28. thejonrmcleod says:

Do the Canucks really have “better depth”? On D, I would say yes. But that F group looks a bit thin.

thejonrmcleod:

With Nuge and Gagner in, you have a point. As it is, Oilers have their issues too.

30. Gret99zky says:

no analytical updates? I knew fancy stats were a fad.

Also I find this whole internet thing distracts my reading. Please have your blog delivered to my front porch by a kid on a bicycle and tell him not to forget the TV guide.

Thank you.

31. jp says:

rickithebear: Based on performancce of our other defence
    we were 34/16920.1 % #&
    No whitney -5G
    29/169 17.1% #17

Worst case 5 less wins.
    More likely which would be 2 less.
    we pick 4 0r 5 instead of 7.

I’m not sure where your data is from, but according to Behind the Net the Oilers scored more 5X4 goals/60 with Whitney off the ice than on last season.

The team will be fine without Whitney on the PP, and better 5 on 5.

32. Bruce McCurdy says:

theres oil in virginia: You can easily see who the center is at a glance.

It’s easier to see the centre at a glance when he’s in the, you know, centre.

33. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: Okay, I removed two of the gifs you bastards.

34. Oil In Enemy Territory says:

Woodguy,

Not sure if it has all the same stats, but try extraskater.com it’s a being updated after every game I believe.

35. Bruce McCurdy says:

It’s my hope that RNH will play Monday, Thursday AND Saturday. If Eakins is going to take shots at the press, he needs to work on his syntax.

36. "Steve Smith" says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Maybe Eakins has him scheduled to re-injure his not-yet-healed shoulder on Monday.

37. Bruce McCurdy says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Bruce McCurdy,

Well, obviously it landed wrong, but that’s exactly what I heard too.

PS: I’m not sure “humour” ranks among Eakins’ top 100 attributes, but that attempt was a fail in my books.

38. thejonrmcleod says:

Bruce McCurdy,

What about the other 77 games? I think the better edit would be “He will play [for the first time this season] Monday against New Jersey.”

39. theres oil in virginia says:

Bruce McCurdy: It’s easier to see the centre at a glance when he’s in the, you know, centre.

Hey, I said I wasn’t proud of it! *shame*

I think taking shots at the local media is in Eakins contract. After it didn’t go over well with Lowe doing it. Somebody needs to keep those wolves at bay.

40. Wolfie says:

gd:

Winnipeg isn’t the worst team in the league. Not by a long shot. That title belongs to Calgary. The Jets get less respect than the Oilers because they’re the Jets and they came from Atlanta.

Winnipeg has the highest scoring line in hockey with Ladd-Little-Wheeler and they now have depth with the addition of Setoguchi. If Scheifele can contribute on that 2 line they’ll be in good shape. Frolik was an awesome pickup for the 3 line.

I’m not sure why they get outshot so much but I think that should improve. Their D has an interesting mix. Byfuglien absolutely dominates when he wants to. Enstrom doesn’t defend all that well but he has offence. Bogosian is all around solid and this Trouba kid has been fantastic. He leads the Jets in ice-time at just 19! I hope Nurse can have the same kind of impact.

For the Jets it all boils down to Pavelec. If they can get league average goaltending out of him I think they could make the playoffs. Home ice for the Jets is huge. MTS Centre absolutely rocks night in and night out. They have a big chunk at home to start and could get themselves a nice cushion.

41. bookje says:

Bruce McCurdy: Thanks for leaving in that set piece. Was the mock confusion part of the set? If so, what a wonderful trick. If not, what a wonderful goal in spite of itself.

I watched it a number of times and you can see the eventual kicker ready to kick – it was a set up and they nailed it.

42. brackenbury says:

Cats. And kittens, I have a bad feeling about tonights matchup with our
    Old foes from VCR. They r going to b really fired up this eve. And so they
    Outta b after their horrendous outing in cali the other night. They r going to come
    Out hard,we r gonna have to weather what I suspect will b an early game
    Barrage coming at us. We r in tough. Ok,that’s about enough redundancy.
    I understand that we r scheduled to play a lopsided amt. Of road games vs.
    Home dates early on. Can somebody break down those # for me? Thanks.

43. bookje says:

Bruce McCurdy:

I kind of thought he was being somewhat prickish with that statement. If he wants to work in a market where reporters don’t pay any attention to the team and don’t try to anticipate things like the return of the #1 centre, he can probably find his way to one – OKC would probably be good. I am sure that the press wont cut him any slack if he loses 6 out of his first 8 games or something.

Hopefully he adopts MacT’s approach of using wit and humour to cut the press.

44. brackenbury says:

Wolfie,

Ya man good stuff. I had the jets making the playoffs . Very underrated club.solid
    Roster.

45. Brackenburied says:

Clearly too many days between games. Complaints of GIFs (love em) and CLR (works great on toilets)!
    Lowetide you do fantastic work in truly a fantastic style. Keep it up.
    Bring on the ‘Nucks. Dubnikov tells everyone to f’off, 4-0 Oil.

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Brackenburied: Complaints of GIFs (love em)

——–
    for you rock fans, this is pretty fun

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

brackenbury,

Brackenburied,

You two related?

48. bookje says:

I have no problems with the GIFs, much better than inserting videos (youtube inserts). For some reason, any post with a youtube video inserted causes the site to crash on ipads and iphones – particularly when you go to make a comment.

49. Rebilled says:

Joensuu hat trick tonight.

1 goal, 1 punch each for the piss-drinking twins.

So, Rom hates gifs. Real bad.

51. theres oil in virginia says:

bookje,
    Isn’t Apple still fighting Adobe Flash?

Clearly, Rom works for Apple.

52. jp says:

Wolfie:

Winnipeg has the highest scoring line in hockey with Ladd-Little-Wheeler and they now have depth with the addition of Setoguchi.If Scheifele can contribute on that 2 line they’ll be in good shape.Frolik was an awesome pickup for the 3 line.

Not to nitpick, but highest scoring line in hockey? Do people say that? They had 119 points between them last year. The Stamkos-St. Louis and Crosby-Kunitz duos had 117 and 108 points respectively.

Agree with your overall point about the jets though – not terrible.

53. bookje says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Looks like I’m in the minority here LT (though I did mention twice I like the gifs). feel free to throw them back in. I can deal with it, no biggie.

——–
    for you rock fans, this is pretty fun

That was pretty good. However, I am pretty sure Randy Rhoads was more epic than Slash.

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje:
    I have no problems with the GIFs, much better than inserting videos (youtube inserts).For some reason, any post with a youtube video inserted causes the site to crash on ipads and iphones – particularly when you go to make a comment.

haha… and if there is one thing I love, it’s posting youtubes.

on topic

Torts says Alex Burrows is out for tonight and a couple of weeks. With Kassian also out for a mortal sin, how many actual NHL players who can also be dickheads does the vaunt offer us tonight?

56. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    brackenbury,

Brackenburied,

You two related?

Maybe only in appreciation of old timey hockey.

57. Andropod says:

theres oil in virginia: Hey, I said I wasn’t proud of it! *shame*

I think taking shots at the local media is in Eakins contract.After it didn’t go over well with Lowe doing it.Somebody needs to keep those wolves at bay.

I think the media should lighten up and see the comments for what they are – a sharp sense of humor. Eakins was making fun of the press for not guessing right!

58. Brackenburied says:

Brackenburied: Maybe only in appreciation of old timey hockey.

And bad skating. As per WG.

59. Andropod says:

bookje:

Do what I did – sell your iPad and buy yourself a Surface – better still a Surface 2. I’ve never looked back :)

60. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Kesler

Booth

Hansen

Weise

Bieksa

Sestito

Stanton

The rest are angels.

61. TheGreatMutato says:

The joke will be on you guys once you learn that Lowetide’s hypothetical ‘balance’ image is actually 15 separate gifs.

62. bookje says:

Andropod: Do what I did – sell your iPad and buy yourself a Surface – better still a Surface 2. I’ve never looked back

I have one of those as well – the kids have taken over the ipad. However, I have an iphone still and find myself frustrated when I go to use it to comment here.

63. bookje says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Youtube links in comments doesnt’ cause a problem, its just when they are in the article.

Oil In Enemy Territory: extraskater.com

Thanks for the reminder.

Great site.

65. skinny65 says:

Hey woodguy, if youre looking for advanced stats, I just found this site, no idea if it existed before, but man it’s got everything. Corsi for every player and team and all kinds of goodies.
    Extraskater.com
    I’ve spend the last day wondering how many people it takes to compile all this stuff.

I don’t see much.

skinny65:
    Hey woodguy, if youre looking for advanced stats, I just found this site, no idea if it existed before, but man it’s got everything.Corsi for every player and team and all kinds of goodies.
    Extraskater.com

Yeah, I forgot about him.

Following him on twitter.

Begging him to post head to head game toi charts.

One of my favourite things on Vic’s site for the 4 weeks that it works.

68. jp says:

OT, but Rajala doesn’t appear to have re-surfaced in European hockey yet. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16035
    An injury would explain him not playing any games yet, but there’s no record of him signing on with a team either.

I wonder if there’s some personal/health problems involved – hope the kid is OK. The surprise and timing of his contract termination would make a lot more sense in that light though.

69. Rebilled says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

Angels? Do you think of them as angels? How sweet.

70. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    for you rock fans, this is pretty fun

That was awesome. Looks there may have been some rock and roll that I’ve missed over the years.

bookje,
    I’m pretty sure that “peak of epicness” wasn’t intended to mean better. They did tag Randy Rhoads with the title of virtuoso.

7m

“He wants another chance, he wants to fight back. And that means a lot to me.” @dallaseakins on going back to Dubnyk in net tonight

72. "Steve Smith" says:

(Although I do recall seeing Ty Conklin skating into the net in 2006 game one, and thinking that he didn’t exactly look like a guy itching for a shot at redemption. Body language, man.)

“Steve Smith”:

(Although I do recall seeing Ty Conklin skating into the net in 2006 game one, and thinking that he didn’t exactly look like a guy itching for a shot at redemption.Body language, man.)

Sure. I’ll give you that. I do like they’re going to Dubnyk though, and also think this is an important game for him.

74. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”: I like Eakins so far, but who was the last player he coached who had a bad game, and as a result wanted to be benched indefinitely?

Nick Brophy?

75. Ryan says:

I guess that I’m alone on this island, but I was cringing at game 1 when Dallas kept throwing the 4 line over the boards for o-zone draws when the game was tied.

I get that our 4-line is epically bad and needs sheltered minutes, but I’d prefer a coach that sees o-zone draws as an opportunity to score goals and puts offensive players over the boards.

“Steve Smith”:

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“The Oilers recalled Ryan Hamilton yesterday because a few Oilers are battling a flu/cold. Jordan Eberle sounded like death on Thursday, and the flu bug can spread quickly so Hamilton is in Vancouver just in case one of the forwards can’t go. I suspect Eberle will play though.”

Gregor seems to think it’s Eberle.

From Gregor’s GDT at ON

78. prairieschooner says:

First off I did not get a chance to vote so here goes
    I would like return to more gifs
    And I vote for Wing Centre Wing
    And while we are on it Day Month Year
    Bruce the confusion at the free kicks is intended. The wall split apart leaving space for the shot.
    There are tons of free kick tricks most do not work but a sweet feeling when they do.

79. VanOil says:

Good news from Lander and Jones in OKC last night. Both may be needed if and when injuries strike.

How is a one eyed Malhotra not our 4th line center? We know its good having a guy who can win a Dzone draw, it is probably great to have two.

Colorado is playing great hockey under Roy. Mackinnon looks just like he did in Halifax, the second coming of Yzerman and Roy makes the WWE managers look composed.

Oilers on the CBC the first 3 weekends of the year. I hope I can focus on Friedman and tune out the rest.

80. fifthcartel says:

This trying to make LT go LW-C-RW reminds me of Hitchock trying to make Paajarvi play through people.

81. hunter1909 says:

I’m finally able to be an Ovechkin fan, ever since they clamped down on his ‘look at my car seat up my arse’ schtick.

82. Romulus Apotheosis says:

fifthcartel:

It reminds me of Hitchcock’s obsession with blondes.

Romulus Apotheosis: It reminds me of Hitchcock’s obsession with blondes.

Yeah, this is just confirming I’m right. :-)

84. bookje says:

Lowetide: Yeah, this is just confirming I’m right.

I just have this image in my mind of you sitting there in the left hand side of the car waiting for the steering wheel and pedals to come over to your side so you can start driving.

bookje: LT, have you ever travelled to a country like the UK or Australia where they have right hand drive vehicles?

I’ve written all of their governments and told them I will not visit until they correct their issue.

86. spoiler says:

This.

No coach does it the old way anymore, because placing the center in the centre is an improvement.

Some people resist change though… most of them still pick up their groceries in a horse and buggy fortunately, so you can tell who they are.

87. Bos8 says:

It’s LT’s sandbox, LT rules. Dassit.

88. thejonrmcleod says:

Oilers scout Bill Dandy being interviewed now on Halifax Mooseheads radio broadcast.

thejonrmcleod:

What’s he saying?

90. RMGS says:

bookje: I kind of thought he was being somewhat prickish with that statement.If he wants to work in a market where reporters don’t pay any attention to the team and don’t try to anticipate things like the return of the #1 centre, he can probably find his way to one – OKC would probably be good.I am sure that the press wont cut him any slack if he loses 6 out of his first 8 games or something.

Hopefully he adopts MacT’s approach of using wit and humour to cut the press.

Coach Eakins is a breath of fresh air in his approach to most of the Edmonton sports media. How many stupid questions can a man take?

It’s true, though, that they’ll turn on him at the first opportunity. As one of the “hall of famers” put it in response to the doughnut ban, “he better win.” LOL.

91. spoiler says:

Bos8: It’s LT’s sandbox, LT rules. Dassit.

Absolutely.

92. thejonrmcleod says:

Dandy said the Oilers liked Perron in his draft year (surprise!). Commented on Nik Ehlers of Halifax. Nothing earth shattering.

93. Marc says:

thejonrmcleod:

Not as much as Plante and Nash though.

Sigh.

Nice story about Lorne Davis’ boy and it has a Jordan Eberle mention

95. Logan91 says:

if anyone’s interested here’s the new top 50 NHL prospects. Quite a few Oilers in here.

96. prairieschooner says:

Conjoined twins walk into a pub on Whyte Ave and park themselves on a bar stool.

One of them says to the bartender, “Don’t mind us, we’re joined at the hip. I’m Micky, he’s Jim. Two Molson Canadian beers please.”

The bartender, feeling slightly awkward, tries to make polite conversation while pouring the beers. “Been on holiday yet, lads?”

“Off to England next month,” says Micky. “We go to England every year, hire a car, and drive for miles, don’t we, Jim?” Jim agrees.

“Ah, England!” says the bartender. “Wonderful country … the history, the beer, the culture…”

“Nah, we don’t like that British crap,” says Micky. “Hamburgers & Molson’s beer, that’s us, eh, Jim? And we can’t stand the English; they’re so arrogant and rude, not civil and polite like us Canadians.”

“So why keep going to England?” asks the bartender.

“It’s the only chance Jim gets to drive.”

97. russ99 says:

theres oil in virginia,

Adobe flash is dead. HTML 5 does 95 percent of what Flash does without a cycle-hogging computer slowing (same assembly code as in 1995) plug in.

Yes to gifs, especially if you can find any late 80s/early 90s ones of Laura Dern. ;)

I expect the Oilers to do much better tonight as Eakins has reinforced his systems after individual player breakdowns.

Russ: Yeah, I think that if the Oilers can survive the first 10 minutes of the game they have a real chance.

99. striatic says:

i’d you don’t like gifs, there are many, many, many browser extensions that will allow you to disable them or control their playback manually.

you might want to try one of these extensions before suggesting that people stop posting them.

if you tell me what browser you use, i can link you to a gif stopper for that browser.

101. bookje says:

102. striatic says:

i’m very curious what his actual job will be, other than collecting paycheques.

bookje: Is there a clause in the contract that requires him to attend Katz’ kid’s birthday parties?

Probably. I think Messier-Lowe-MacT will be the think tank, and they’ll have 99 on the skipe. If/when this team wins the Stanley, Hall will have to push past the rings to hand it to eberle.

104. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Oilers are signing Messier as a consultant. I’m not surprised by this, could see if coming for miles and miles.

Wing-to-Center consultant?

105. Gi JQE says:

So will he be mact s replacement should he faulter??? Seems to be the way lately no???

106. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, I guess Hunter is a Leaf fan now, huh?

They are playing “And Justice for All” for him, (“One” that is)

striatic:

i’m very curious what his actual job will be, other than collecting paycheques.

Another set of eyes, Asst GM in charge of on ice assholery, winning and kill shots.

108. spoiler says:

The Leafs know this game is televised, right?

Should be joining the Oil round about the first intermission.

109. hunter1909 says:

striatic: i’m very curious what his actual job will be, other than collecting paycheques.

Kevin Lowe meet your nemesis! Better start packing, boy!

With Messier back in the fold, now other dynasty bigwigs are going to be made welcome, for one thing.

110. spoiler says:

Only in Toronto do they have to instruct the fans to sing.

Edmonton sings the anthem better. We love this country more. Pretty clear. #analysis

112. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic:

i hate gifs. it’s been established. I won’t try to alter my behavior or accommodate anyone, ever.

Rom: I’ll post L-C-R if you embrace gifs. One time offer, won’t happen again.

114. B S says:

For the love of whatever deity you worship Rom take the offer!

115. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Logan91:

thanks. good list. weird though to see all those “nhlers” in there. damn lockout.

LIMITED TIME OFFER!!!

117. Romulus Apotheosis says:

B S:
    For the love of whatever deity you worship Rom take the offer!

myself, obviously, Quirinus.

no. I refuse that offer. I bow to no-one!

also, I actually prefer, by a large margin C-L-R… but gifs must die!!!

118. B S says:

Romulus Apotheosis: myself, obviously, Quirinus.

no. I refuse that offer. I bow to no-one!

also, I actually prefer, by a large margin C-L-R… but gifs must die!!!

Damn your narcissism and your hatred of GIFs, :P I wouldn’t have had to read LT’s lines twice in a row every single article.

119. theres oil in virginia says:

russ99:
    theres oil in virginia,

I think this is the crux of the issue, right? Apple is pushing HTML5 and Adobe is hanging on for dear life. Who can manipulate the market the most? Apple and its cronies, or Adobe and its cronies. We’ll see.

Hahaha. I made that bet with Rom BECAUSE he’s the ONE GUY who likes C-L-R. Hahahaa.

121. B S says:

Suddenly glad Edmonton didn’t sign Raymond. Yes he was tripped, no he doesn’t need to flop around like an injured seal. #OnceaCanuckAlwaysaCanuck or #ItalianSoccerPractice.

122. B S says:

Darn it. well then, I’m suddenly glad Edmonton didn’t trade for Bobby Ryan…

123. Romulus Apotheosis says:

B S:

I don’t know… I’d love to have those 2 points and those wheels for basically no dollars.

124. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Staples is in our corner:

125. hunter1909 says:

Shooting Fish in a Barrel Competition:

Question: How soon before Katz sees Mark Messier with all of his NY connections and glory, then look over at the local type who’s always talking about rings? And suddenly there’s a new Dynasty type in charge?

a – 1 month

b – 3 months

c – 6-12 months

d – Don’t be silly! Kevin Lowe was always Katz’s favorite Oiler!

127. bookje says:

I also Love C-L-R, honest, make the bet with me.

128. B S says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I was watching the game wondering why we had Will Acton and Mark Arcobello in the lineup after Mason Raymond had to take PTOs to get a look. Even with Gags and RNH in the lineup he’s a clear upgrade on our 4C. He’s looking good so far this season, but goddamn I hate that diving bullshit. Those darn Europeans like Raymond diving and making hockey a joke. Thank god we have those tough gritty Canadian kids like Joenssu on the Oilers. Cherry would be proud.

129. Romulus Apotheosis says:

B S:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

raymond is a winger. but yea… that kind of play is irritating. he’s no Dustin Brown though.

speaking of 4c pipedreams, 2 randoms sit in the midst of the KHL top 30 right now:

Thoresen and Count Kola!

Sign Thoresen, Raymond and Mueller and this team looks a lot better on that 4th line. And all bargains I bet.

130. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Staples is in our corner:

131. jp says:

Also, does anyone have a feed for the Barons? Looks like they’re already down 1-0, but I wouldn’t mind watching until the big boys game is on.

132. Young Oil says:

For what it’s worth, I think C-L-R makes the most sense as well! As you always say, the center is the most important person on the ice. Keep it the way it is, don’t ever give in to the masses!!! Maybe give them what they want on April 1st if anything :D

133. speeds says:

Raymond was a gem signing, we’d be well ahead of the curve with him. However, Joensuu looks like a quality signing and keeping Hemmer really changed the landscape.

134. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp: Seems like Staples just doesn’t care. He also has Perron-Eberle and Gazdic-Brown on their off wings.

more like he half doesn’t care. it would be interesting to see lines like this:

r-c-l
    c-l-r
    r-l-c
    l-r-c

etc. a truly random sampling.

speeds: Having both of Joensuu and Hemsky on the roster didn’t preclude EDM from signing Raymond.

I think it did, a little. imo the Oilers felt that Joensuu, Smyth, Jones would be 3line W’s with someone losing out and ending on the 4line.

Hall-Eberle
    Perron-Yakupov
    Smyth-Jones
    Joensuu-Brown/Jones

I don’t think they considered him a C. Joensuu/Jones, somewhere in there, they filled the Raymond slot.

136. B S says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Don’t know where I got the C from, then it’s Raymond or Gazdic/Mike Brown, and unless I’m running through the Eastern Conference I want a player of Raymonds skill-level. Yeah, Dustin Brown’s another one I don’t like, up there with Cooke and maybe Marchand as players I don’t think I could cheer for even in Oiler’s silks.

On a related note I think Ference is another who could find that there’s a different set of rules for those not on the NHL’s favourite teams. Won’t be surprised if he gets some big suspensions before the end of the season.

137. VanOil says:

Kessy fighting the bosses son, well done.

138. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bishop plays tonight…

is anyone else invested in his trade history? I’ve been watching Conacher tonight thinking about how the Sens turned a 2nd into Conacher and a 4th and what is the better deal.

139. VanOil says:

The ex-Canuck you want is Malhotra not Raymond. He is also the one the Canucks miss the most.

140. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil:

I hear you. I’d still prefer Raymond.

Those eye injuries worry me. But I’m pulling for Manny. incredible talent.

Annnnnd… the Sens are taking over.

141. B S says:

VanOil,

Yeah but a cyclops as an upgrade on our 4th line is almost too depressing to think about. At least we sent Jones down.

142. Diesel says:

I’m considerably less disappointed about not signing Paul Ranger having watched him closely thus far this season.

Looks totally lost and even when he has the puck he manages to bobble it.

143. VanOil says:

B S,

The good news is a cyclopes is no longer an up grade on our top line center. It has been a long 7 years.

144. B S says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’m torn on Lapierre. I don’t actually mind sh!t disturbers. Last year I was begrudgingly impressed with how effective Greg Chase was against the Oil Kings (didn’t remember him again until the Oil drafted him). But diving isn’t holding your stick in an opponent’s face, or tapping his ankles whenever the refs aren’t looking. As long as you’re willing to take responsibility for those actions (and Chase seems to have the spine for it) I don’t have a big problem with it. Those are matters of playing outside the rules and depend on whether you think you should respect your opponent.

Diving abuses the rules that are in place, and inhibits the ability of refs to accurately recognize penalties. It makes the consistency of referees even more unreliable, and takes away from the game when an unearned penalty is handed out.

145. B S says:

VanOil,

Oh, man. I wonder if Horcoff would have gotten a little more credit if he’d played with an eye patch. Given his one-timers and scoring touch, I’m not sure it would have actually hindered him much and it could have earned him some pity.

146. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

For me Raymond is a mini Paajarvi all flash and dash with no finish. 25% of games he looks all world the rest of them you wonder if he played at all.

147. Ribs says:

I guess we know why Moose was in town then. Cool.

Kevin Lowe’s secret project – Company Oldtimers league team……

Gretzky*-Messier-????
    Eklund-Smyth**-Buchberger
    Sillinger-MacTavish-Sutter
    Acton-Semenko-????

Coffey*-????
    Lowe-????
    Smith-????
    Musil-????

*Player Recruitment Consultants
    **Almost there

He needs some righties. Kurri, Anderson, Huddy, Gregg, Beukeboom, Ruotsalainen, and others have been sent emails.

In other news maybe of help to some….

To stop gifs in Firefox and IE, simply press Esc. Not a feature in Chrome but if you press Alt+Spacebar it will stop them. You won’t be able to scroll until you press Esc, though. I dunno about your fancy Apple products and smartphones. See if Esc works?

148. Bruce McCurdy says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Max Lap. is a guy I would have taken… but the fans here (I see you BS) would hate him. cheap and effective though.

Well he’s definitely cheap.

149. VanOil says:

B S:
    VanOil,

lol. He could of afforded a diamond crusted eye patch but that might not of helped the sympathy vote.

I’m hopeful the Oilers win tonight but if they lose it doesn’t mean anything. 4-3 loss and a positive Corsi? I’ll take that.

151. Romulus Apotheosis says:

what the hell pj stock.

it’s not a bad suit. almost interesting… but why match the tie?

152. B S says:

Don’t trolling your own blog LT, it’s bad form.

153. VanOil says:

If I recall the from the Parkatti numbers there was 12.5% chance of positive Corsi event from last years team and Calgary and Vancouver spotted them AHL teams down the stretch. Too see positive Corsi two games in a row seem like a far away dream.

154. VanOil says:

ahh those Cans. gold

155. B S says:

*troll

156. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil:
    ahh those Cans. gold

I wonder if Andi appreciated that…

that’s old boys club stuff and she seems like a “I deserve to be here, don’t treat me like some tart” kinda girl.

157. pboy says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

There’s no fucking way that’s a store bought suit. PJ made that out of an old carpet. I still remember that goof popping his suit collar last season. For shame PJ, for shame.

158. Andropod says:

60 minutes of intelligent effort tonight would be nice. Does that constitute pissing in the wind?

159. B S says:

Andropod,

Depends on which direction you’re facing and where the wind is blowing.

160. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Agreed. She is probably is not thrilled with Ron right now.

161. Andropod says:

B S,

LT’s threatened to erase comments that are pissing in the wind. I’d rather not be blown off this blog, so I’d rather stay within the boundaries!

162. gd says:

Moroz with another goal early. Nurse +3 with an assist.

163. speeds says:

Would anyone complain if RNH played tonight, but only on the PP? What’s two days, and how much risk could there be of injury if he only played PP?

If you’re willing to play Gazdik and Brown 5 min on the 4th line, any reason you wouldn’t be willing to have RNH play 5 min of PP TOI?

I mean, if he’s not ready, he’s not ready, just musing.

164. VanOil says:

speeds,

Eakins plans to play the 4th line a whole lot more this game, according to his presser. He wants see if WGs head explodes I guess.

165. Romulus Apotheosis says:

OKC.

2-0 Char after 2. shots: 23-15 Char.

Jones with 2 shots (tied for lead on team); Eager is playing. Omark… no shots -1… man… he’s got to pull this together.

166. Scotty LaDouche says:

30 player maple leaf shootout coming up

167. spoiler says:

168. spoiler says:

spoiler: You just know this game is going to go to the 30th round of the shootout. Because Leafs.

“Crude and slow, Highlander, crude and slow.”

169. VanOil says:

Pitlick scores for OKC

170. Lucinius says:

So, B.C. gets the game when it starts, but Alberta will stay with the Leafs game? No idea if its true, but that’s what he basically said!

171. Andropod says:

Lucinius,

That’s because so many people from the Center of The Universe are now working in Edmonton….

172. Lucinius says:

Raymond’s goal in the shoutout shouldn’t have counted, imo; forward momentum stopped cold on both him and the puck.

173. Lucinius says:

That icing shouldn’t have been called. Hemsky would have gotten there first. Ah well.

174. VanOil says:

I wonder if Yak breaks a few bones in a couple Sedins feet if he feels different about shot blocking?

175. Scotty LaDouche says:

Fyeah

176. VanOil says:

177. Lucinius says:

Smid and Petry! SMID AND PETRY!

Smid bowling balls the Sedins and Petry snakes Luongo!

Petry. Scored.

179. Ribs says:

Belov and J.Schultz. Interesting….

Petry (Perron, Smid) 1-0 EDM

1-1 SHC Richardson

182. VanOil says:

Goal tending dual as expected

183. spoiler says:

Gord dammit.

184. Andropod says:

Lucinius:

You are talking about the TO game?

185. Lucinius says:

Ugly. So ugly.

Only Hemsky moving on the powerplay like times of old and no one gives him a passing lane and he pulls a Hall trying to force it.

186. khildahl says:

Those smaller pads are screwing with every goalie so far.

187. Lucinius says:

Andropod,

Yeah, Raymond’s shootout goal.

188. SK Oiler Fan says:

the secret is out on the oiler pp. pressure the puck aggressively. quicker passes, more shots needed

189. Numenius says:

Horrible PP.

190. Lucinius says:

SK Oiler Fan,

Eh, that’s only true when the Oilers fall into the trap of not moving. If they move and pass the puck you can horribly exploit an aggressive penalty kill.

Too bad that’s the powerplay we’re doing tonight so far.

191. Romulus Apotheosis says:

strange opening… neither team looks sharp.

192. Lucinius says:

Wow, just noticed the Blues are up 7-0 on the Panthers and have 7 different scorers. That’s gotta be rare.

193. B S says:

2 min. for showing that the other player has the balance of a toddler.

Martindale (Fedun, Larsen) making it 3-2 Charlotte with 2 minutes left in the game.

195. bookje says:

Why don’t we see Hall, Eberle, Yakupov for the pp?

Newer Comments »