OILERS AT COYOTES G12, 13-14

In 2012-13, the Oilers were 43.5% CF 5×5/close, this season, this season it’s 45.8; this does not–I REPEAT–does not–mean Edmonton will win the Stanley Cup this season. The Oilers are a little easier on the eyes this year.
benton4I think we should probably talk about this season in terms of expectations. Reading the comments over the last few days, I think some of us are going to blow a shoe or two this year, because expectations are so high for this team and the results (so far) haven’t been there. So, maybe we should go back and stare at a few home truths:

THE EDMONTON OILERS HAVE NO WINNING TRADITION TO BUILD ON

None. They’re trying, with a new coach and a new captain imported from Boston and new systems and a brand new plan. While we’re feeling sorry for Magnus, maybe he’s William Holden and the rest of the Oilers are the British Army at the River Kwai. However, there’s a time to sow, and a time to reap.

THE EDMONTON OILERS DON’T HAVE ENOUGH ACTUAL NHL PLAYERS

They’re getting there, but God Almighty that’s one high, high mountain. I think Craig MacTavish tried like a bugger to add as many as he could during the summer (Ference, Perron, Gordon, LaBarbera and then a couple of longshots like Belov) but the fact is Edmonton didn’t have a pot to piss in in terms of veteran NHL players and it still shows. Add that to the young men trying to grow up in a heartbeat and you get this–an imperfect, uneven, difficult winter appears on the way.

Again.

WE HAVE NO SECRETS

The majority of Oiler fans feel it’s the same script this year as last, we’re Bill Murray with the rodent riding shotgun on our way to the Quarry in an old beat up truck to  end it all. However, there are real signs of progress here–I can see it, and you can see it–so in a way that makes us unique. We have a secret: the Oilers are making progress, and the things we’re seeing (despite being slowed by injury and road trips) will eventually result in wins and passing teams for good.

It’s a brand new day, we’re just waiting for the warmth of the sun.

This weekend is a bitch schedule, the Coyotes are a tough out and the Kings are home and dry waiting for tomorrow night. Patience. Things are going to get better.

466 Responses to "OILERS AT COYOTES G12, 13-14"

Newer Comments »

Tychkowski has a piece up today that hits some of the same sentiments that I have:

The ironic part is that this Oilers team is better than the seven before it. It’s full of holes, sure, but it’s still hungrier, tougher and more aggressive offensively than the ones that used to sleepwalk through the majority of their losses.

I agree with this.

This team is playing much better, and much hungrier for the puck than any of the Oiler teams since MacT was coach.

I think a big part of that is roster competition. For the first time in forever we are seeing real roster competition with a flow of players up and down from the farm.

This used to be a normal part of any hockey team, but the Oilers have written their roster in ink in October for the past few years and there it sat, results be dammed.

I also think a big part of the new hunger for the puck and willingness to battle has to do with the players MacT has brought in. Gordon, Perron, Ferrence, and even Joensus in the small sample we got to see, have all been fierce in the puck battle and I think others are taking their cue.

The old refrain of “entitlement” is falling away as the home grown players are figuring out that even with all the talent in the world, you can’t wait for the next guy to get you the puck.

The coach is helping in this regard too.

Together its making this team more competitive and infinitely more watchable than the last 5 or so iterations.

For the first time since Hall was drafted, I actually have hope.

Now if they can get their goaltenders to give them NHL average goaltending, they’d be off to the races….

Agreed.

Another part of that Tych piece:

It matters not if they might just be victims of circumstance, starting the season with a new coach, new systems, a bunch of new players and two centres on IR, then heading out for a six-game road trip that began with their goaltending in a funk, then losing Taylor Hall, then the dreaded first game back from the long road trip, and now back-to-back on the road.

A lot of tough circumstances have conspired to put them in this spot.

But there’s no room for sob stories in the standings

This is true too.

Its one of the reasons that I’m absolutely flabbergasted that a fan base which sat idly by while Tambellini did nothing but draft #1′s and piss away opportunities to improve the team is now voracious in their demand for wins.

What happened?

MacT said he’s impatient, so the fan base is impatient.

There was a lot of work left undone by Tambellini and a lot a stupid left to clean up.

Gagner’s contract length making his effectively an UFA. The same with Petry (yet to be cleaned up), picks traded away for less than replacement level players, etc, etc.

For a guy who said “compete” in every second sentence, he never brought in any players who, you know, actually competed for much.

I’m very pleased with how much MacT has got done in 6 months as GM and this team is finally on an upwards path after wandering in the desert.

Leave it to Oiler fans to pick now to lose their shit and get impatient.

Crazy.

Also,

Tomorrow is guaranteed loss night, so this afternoon’s game is a must win

They are missing their top 2 scorers from last year and are playing a tough, well coached PHX team and I know that they have a reasonable chance to win.

That’s new.

Go Oilers!!

CLAP,CLAP…….CLAPCLAPCLAP

The Oilers are at a point when their chaos moments are identifiable one from the other, they don’t just dissolve into each other and form long stretches in the mind’s eye.

THAT’S progress!

THAT’S progress!

Watching the Oilers no longer is waiting for 4′s line to hit the ice and sitting with a puckered arsehole for the rest of the time.

THAT’S progress!

5. sliderule says:

It really hit me of how young and weak the oil are when the Nuge in position to make a play got out muscled by Backstrom .Nuge is around 180 lbs which is about the same as Backstrom was when drafted.Backsrom is now a man and over 200 lbs while Nuge is still a kid.
    We have to ponder how good Chimera Brodziak and Glencross would have fitted in with the talented youngsters the oil have drafted.They are the big heavy player we miss the most.
    Instead we are hoping to get the same sort of performance from Pitlick who too is a skinny kid who has not filled.
    It is sad but we are going to pay for Tambo/Lowes mistakes for a few more years.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“The Oilers are a little easier on the eyes this year.”

I don’t know if you can write that about a 2 point hop upward (from 43.5% to 45.8) and align it with Barbi Benton. That’s a little more than “a little easier on the eyes,” no?

I’m thinking we’ve gone from Jean Harlow and her strange painted on eyebrows and fulsome allure:

to the older, severe, cruel and kind of strange Lizabeth Scott

always channelling us into a bad spot.

If we are lucky, by the next year we may be upgraded to the younger, enticing, dangerous and sultry Lizabeth Scott

But… we are very, very far from miss Benton and miles and miles from being anywhere near Veronica Lake

She barely registers our presence.

7. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: I think the fan base takes their cues from the GM. Tambellini said patience, so people were patience.
    MacT said he’s impatient, so the fan base is impatient.

Please. Tambellini literally had one press conference when he put on his game face; then proceeded to do nothing. Finally he was fired, after hiring+firing Pat Quinn, and Tom Renney, and Ralph Krueger.

MacT re-enters the picture like Martin Guerre, yapping the exact same yap ‘I’m impatient’ him and Lowe ‘We’re open for business’ tried and spectacularly failed with already.

MacT/Kevin Lowe are basically the rock which Las Vegas got built on: both well known now everywhere as proven losers.

I guess my point is: Colorado have what appears to be a real hockey team. Edmonton continue to struggle, make excuses, and destroy more prospects like some kind of an NHL version of the Battle of Verdun.

At this rate(eight straight losing seasons) we might as well start offering up thoughts on Katz and Lowe fave Shawn Horcoff’s triumphant return to the fold, sometime around 2017.

Hunter: have you had a look at the rock the Avs season is built on? No?

9. leadfarmer says:

Progress would be abandoning the chaos or “swarm” or whatever you want to call this defensive system which pressures players with the puck in poor scoring areas such as the side boards and gives up space in the middle. This might work if you have a team of very good defensive players but not much offense and need to generate turnovers and chances of the rush, but is a disaster when you have a team of poor defensive players. They should try the defense they used in spring of 2006 of clogging up the center of the defensive zone and force teams to shoot from outside of the high scoring areas. They have enough speed to cause a rush the other way.

10. Mr DeBakey says:

Notice that he doesn’t mention speed or skill?
    Friggin reporters.

Headlines in today’s Sports Journal. What is wrong with this picture?:

Eskimos fall apart after fast start

Oilers already have ‘must-win’ games to make up for poor start

University of Alberta Golden Bears football team hopes to finish another tough season on positive note. Bears have a 23-game losing streak dating back to 2010

FC Edmonton has plenty to play for in final NASL home game of season. Eddies still have a chance to finish in third place in standings

Third! Wooo-Hooo!

Its painful living in the City of Champignons

11. hunter1909 says:

Hunter: have you had a look at the rock the Avs season is built on? No?

To be honest I just look at the standings from time to time. As an Oiler fan I already know the snail area of the Conference, lol.

Come to think of it, it’s not a lot of fun reading about the Oilers anywhere lately.

12. Eastern Oil says:

“we’re Bill Murray with the rodent riding shotgun on our way to the Quarry in an old beat up truck to end it all”

LT: This may be one of the best metaphors of being an Oilers fan. I tip my cap to you sir. I like it because it it works on so many different levels and because I am a big Bill Murray fan. A part of me can picture him in real life trying to get a ground hog to drive him around.

In regards to the article, thank you for taking a step back and speaking some important truths. We have some very passionate posters on here, some I agree with and some I do not. Either way though, they are fans and want this team to finally win. I agree with your sentiment that we are moving in the right direction, but still have a lot of hard work to do.

Keep up the great work.

13. hunter1909 says:

Aside from still having plenty of suckers to buy season tix, the only truly valuable resource Katz has with the Oilers is the 40 odd player contracts he currently holds. He was freaky lucky to land 3 consecutive 1st overall picks.

My question: If/when Lowe/MacT start getting suckered into dealing any of these three(plus Eberle), how many of us current fans over the age of 21 are seriously going to want to continue with this mess? To be honest, hoping for early round playoff appearances doesn’t exactly make for feeling warm and fuzzy.

14. RMGS says:

LT, I blame you in part for the heightened expectations, what with the playoffs prediction and all. :)

I think folks see the improvement by eye. I’d argue that the newcomers are largely responsible. If the team played with the tenacity of Perron, Gordon, hell… even Arcobello, things would be better (average goaltending would help also).

But, the improvement by numbers is not quite there at this point. It’s not fair to compare this season after 11 games to last season’s cumulative numbers after 48. As it stands, the team’s close-CF% is slightly below last year’s at the same point.

So, there may be improvement by intuition but not as much by Corsi.

15. B.C.B says:

I think the fan base takes their cues from the GM.Tambellini said patience, so people were patience.

MacT said he’s impatient, so the fan base is impatient.

Leave it to Oiler fans to pick now to lose their shit and get impatient.
    Crazy.

I think this is a fascinating correlation, but I would quibble with the causation.

When the one that will not be named was in charged, we resigned ourselves to being patient . . . I mean what else could we do. I personally wrote letters to the Oilers asking them to get NHL defensemen, I stopped buy tickets to away games (I live in Ontario and cannot get to go see games at the Coliseum), stopped staying up past my bed time to watch the Oil lost 5-2, and even gave up blogging / reading lots of blogs. I still talked about the Oilers to my friends once and a while, but I used to often cal them long distance to chat about the Oil. I was not patient because I was apathetic.

Now, it is almost possible to see some light at the end of the tunnel . . . by that it seems likely we could almost be like the Oilers of the 90′s: we might make the playoffs, and our stanely cup is winning the first round of the playoffs. Our expectations of the wunderkids are not of the 80′s but of the 90s!! If impatience is not wanting to watch the team lose every night , then I guess I am impatient.

MacT has always been a favorite of mine (as I was a young child with memories of the 80s and even more of the 90s) but his team is last in the Western conference! Impatience or righteous anger, you tell me?

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I don’t know if anyone caught this but it looks like the lines are the same and Labarbs is starting:

saving Dubs for the Kings I gather.

17. SK Oiler Fan says:

Switch goalers and coaches and the Oilers win this one 8 times out of 10.
    Some progress over the last 3 editions of the Oilers isn’t saying much. I’m looking for progress over the competition and the standings say there hasn’t been much of it.

18. dawgtoy says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

saving Dubs for the Kings I gather.

You have to let Labarbara play against his former club, to me that’s a no brainer given they play back to back.

19. Genjutsu says:

I think this team is fine and other than the top line getting unlucky against a healthy Ovie and Backstrom they played well against the Caps.

They need Hall to be able to go PvP and win that battle with any consistency. And moving Nail to the soft comp would be far better for him.

This team will look different when Gags and Hall return.

hunter1909: Please. Tambellini literally had one press conference when he put on his game face; then proceeded to do nothing. Finally he was fired, after hiring+firingPat Quinn, and Tom Renney, and Ralph Krueger.

MacT re-enters the picture like Martin Guerre, yapping the exact same yap ‘I’m impatient’him and Lowe ‘We’re open for business’ tried and spectacularly failed with already.

MacT/Kevin Lowe are basicallythe rock which Las Vegas got built on: both well known now everywhere as proven losers.

Tambellini was GM for 4 years, he spoke more than once.

Also re: COL

Remember these standings in 2011?

Oilers were tied for 2nd in the NHL on the back of a .962 SV in the first 11 games.

Let’s look at COL SV%

Posting a .958

Hard to lose when the puck doesn’t go in your net.

This start by COL, much like the 2011 start by the Oilers will soon collapse as soon as the SV% normalizes over the next few months.

COL is a better team than the 2011 OIlers, but they’re not as good as their record, not even close.

One other thing about the CBS team SV% chart.

Looks who’s in last:

EDM with .870

The Oilers aren’t as bad as their record, not even close.

They’re missing the top 2 scorers from last season so the next stretch is rougher than normal.

21. Ice Sage says:

leadfarmer:
    Progress would be abandoning the chaos or “swarm” or whatever you want to call this defensive system which pressures players with the puck in poor scoring areas such as the side boards and gives up space in the middle.This might work if you have a team of very good defensive players but not much offense and need to generate turnovers and chances of the rush, but is a disaster when you have a team of poor defensive players.They should try the defense they used in spring of 2006 of clogging up the center of the defensive zone and force teams to shoot from outside of the high scoring areas.They have enough speed to cause a rush the other way.

The swarm is teaching the F to backcheck. Improvement is obvious. Yes, it would be awesome to have the 2006 system, who was the architect of that again? And the Oilers will get Shea Weber for magic beans to replace Pronger… all set!

Good test tonight – hope the Oilers are learning from hard-working, opportunistic teams. When they get that, their talent will be useful.

Goil.

22. FastOil says:

If the Avs find a few D they will be a handful soon enough even with a normal SV%. I see them as the arch nemesis down the road, they have plenty of skill and a better bottom half. Let’s hope their budget will hamper them.

23. Andy P says:

How about this:
    1) Yak is pulling the whole team down right now. Is there any line on the team that would be better by having him on their LW? Perhaps 4th? Not even sure Yak in his present form is even as good as Jones, and that is really saying something.

2) Are we the most injury prone team in the league? How many teams are playing without 4 of their top players? Is this because we bring in injury prone players, or is there something we are (still) doing or not doing to cause this? Is all we need to do now, is banish the injury bug to get on track?

Meanwhile It’s true that we are playing with a severely injury depleted team, and at least one bird who has forgotten how to fly turning our 1st line into 2 players and a pylon. Good on the others for their increasing effort and discipline.

24. Ribs says:

I had a dream last night that the Oilers traded Captain Andrew Ference right before today’s game to the Coyotes for David Schlemko and what I’m guessing was Jordan Martinook along with something else. MacT getting his BOLD on! Hah

25. Ribs says:

Ice Sage: The swarm is teaching the F to backcheck. Improvement is obvious.

26. PREDICKTER says:

I was hoping Yakupov would of switched to #10 at the start of the season, so today I will see him as wearing #10 and he will score his first of the season. In honor of Bure, he will be known as B10. By games end Yakupov and the oilers will have BTEN the yotes.

27. VanOil says:

Thank you LT and ably followed up by WG for showing some optimism about this season. Looking at the horizon and distracting with Barbi Benton a worthy misdirections from one under lying truth:

Desert Hockey in the Afternoon is where good hockey goes to die.

If the Coyotes score first I may become despondent despite the brightening horizon, still so far away. May Benton bless us with a reprieve fro such a fate.

As WG mentioned in the previous thread, Yakimov with 2 goals today and is now 19, 4-4-8. Using Vollman’s NHL equivalency (.78) that’s an NHLE of 13-14-27.

29. G Money says:

Woodguy: Leave it to Oiler fans to pick now to lose their shit and get impatient.
    Crazy.

30. Ice Sage says:

Ribs: This is a good point. It certainly has its merits. Now if they can only find a way to plug up the gaping slot somehow.

I teach my Peewees to backcheck down the middle – it seems to me, the slot should be first forward back’s responsibility under this system, but, when it breaks down (which requires 3 players not being effective), it looks pretty amateurish. It’s a pretty radical system but, like any re-programming, takes time and intelligent players (and the Oilers have a slew of them) to get the bugs out.

I was listening to Eakins the other day and he talked about how aggressive the swarm needs to be, how much he wants his players to push that moment and get the puck. He’s asking them to overload and take possession so quickly that it’s not really a scrum.

I didn’t understand it until he said it, but it makes sense. If there are three guys trying to find the puck in feet, they’re on borrowed time.

32. Ribs says:

Yup. When they don’t come up with it, it’s chaos.

33. Ribs says:

Ice Sage: I teach my Peewees to backcheck down the middle – it seems to me, the slot should be first forward back’s responsibility under this system, but, when it breaks down (which requires 3 players not being effective), it looks pretty amateurish.It’s a pretty radical system but, like any re-programming, takes time and intelligent players (and the Oilers have a slew of them) to get the bugs out.

I just wish we could hit the fast forward button on the learning curve. I suppose patience is the word of the day….

34. mustang says:

Yes, I think these forwards mainly are hesitating which is understandable, they need to make the decision to get in the scrum and retrieve the puck and move out of the zone. The problem I see just like in the offensive zone our skilled guys haven’t totally grasped the concept of forechecking because they were never the guys that needed to get their nose a little dirty. They are waiting for others to do the dirty work. Our skilled young forwards want to play a rush game which is fine if they score, but they need to get their noses dirty and get that puck back quicker. This is why they are having trouble in the done, and lack of strength.

35. jake70 says:

“I think we should probably talk about this season in terms of expectations. Reading the comments over the last few days, I think some of us are going to blow a shoe or two this year, because expectations are so high for this team and the results (so far) haven’t been there. So, maybe we should go back and stare at a few home truths: ”

After every loss, I hear that annoying lady on my GPS say ….”recalibrating…recalibrating…recalibrating”…make her stop!! ;-)

From the file: THINGS EVERYONE BUT BOWMAN SAW COMING:

Khabby lets in 6 on 25 shots and now has a .818 in 2 games.

Doing it with 10min per night.

6’5″ 202 lbs.

38. RMGS says:

So, I just watched the highlights of Linus Omark scoring 4 brilliant goals last night for OKC.

They guy is an elite passer, has a great shot, drives the net, isn’t afraid to be in the paint, and has wonderful hands.

Keep him down all year!

39. VanOil says:

My take on the standings hole the Oilers have already dug them selves. Dice don’t have memories but humans do.

For the last few years the trend in Economics thought as shown by who gets awards like the Nobel prize for Economics (Not a real Nobel as neither Alfred Nobel nor is kids believe in the value of Economists) has trended toward economists doing quantitative analysis. Guys with big brains and even bigger calculators building mathematically sound and testable models and indexes. Think MoneyBall / MoneyPuck but with real money.

It is an understandable zeitgeist for the Dismal Science to coalesce around given the previous eras ~isms lead to unsupportable Chang Buddhist like reductive reasoning in Academia and a global Cold War based on quasi Economic principle that nearly ended Mankind as a whole.

The challenge with quantitative economic analysis and advance hockey stats though is despite being mathematically provable they are built on top the human condition. For example most technical analysis of the stock market is true only if enough people believe it to be true. If that underlying faith is tested even the most sophisticated quantitative analysis machines fail. And now finally to my Hockey related point.

With Eberle calling this weekend must win games and Ferrence claiming that they know the math about being in touch for playoff spot by American Thanksgiving is vital, it makes the Math true. The team believes that they have dug themselves a hole that if they are not out of in the next fortnight they will be stuck in it for the season. It does not matter what the calculator says, if that is what they believe. I am sure the scripted platitudes of sports belief will still be offered by the players if they find themselves in that hole but the underlying belief will not be there.

For this season to end in the playoffs or even close they need to win and win now. Not because the GM told me to be impatient or the statistical models say so, but because the player believe it to be so. May there be sunshine on the horizon and lets hope it starts now.

Three scoring lines. 100 comments. Unicorn. Fin.

G Money: Though I don’t think I fall into the category of Oiler fans who have lost their shit … in defense of those who have – there is no hockey fan base that has been subjected to the sheer amount of shit that the Oiler fan base has in the past seven years, and for some of them to say enough is enough and declare their loyalties to be a feces-free zone is actually quite understandable.

I get that.

My point is now that there is management taking care of problems instead of creating them, and a coach who seems to get everyone to work hard the arrows are pointing up and the fan base should be optimistic.

The time for losing shit was when they were swirling in the bowl with no direction.

They have direction and smart decisions being made.

Time for Hope.

42. TheOtherJohn says:

Lots of people here did not give Tambi & KLowe a free pass for 4 years or at all. Course they did have the Plan. Or so we were repeatedly told.

We’re busting the teams balls because they’ve been in playoffs once in the last decade and are 3-7-1 to start the season and have been playing the weaker Eastern conference teams that Western conference teams have been absolutely savaging.

Of course there is a sense of urgency to the Oilers. The next 4 games are against the Yotes, LAK, Leafs & Wings. If the Oilers get 3 or less points out of 4 tough games a realistic shot at the playoffs could be extremely difficult and it will be November 2. Oilers may get 5-6 points out of these 4 games but if we have a bad streak, sheesh

43. VanOil says:

As disappointing as the NHL season has been thus far the prospects are killing it. I expected big things from our high end defensive prospects, which Nurse for one is exceeding. But the forwards are making hay this fall in a way I did not expect.

Moroz, Chase and Yakimov are lighting it up and Kharia and Marco Roy are injured but show promise and I am sure I am missing some. It is unlikely that they all will continue this hot streak all the way to the NHL. But even if one, dare I say two, do our 6s and 7s start to look a whole bunch better. I would love for our 4th line to be a kid line not a crap line. Inconsistently good is better than consistently bad.

44. VanOil says:

To continue with last weekends wining theme, but on a sad note. The inventor of the Doner Kebab is dead. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24685617

Peace be on him, he has blessed the world with a heart warming/burning gift

45. Colonel Obvious says:

leadfarmer:

For the one hundredth milliion time none of this is happening. The Oilers are not giving up more shots from the middle of the ice. Your brain is confusing your eyes. Try watching the games.

46. Lois Lowe says:

The Oilers have sucked so much less than in recent seasons, I just don’t get the impatience. I guess if you have only watched a few of the games it might not be apparent, but this iteration of the Oilers is so much more fundamentally sound than previous versions. They are still not an objectively good hockey team, but screaming for change 10 games into a season that saw a massive roster overhaul, new GM, and a new coach and system installed is insanity.

I wasn’t excited with any of the team’s starts or winning streaks last last 5(!!) years because it was so obvious how bad the team actually was. This year, at least to my eye, it’s obvious how much better the team is. The Oilers are holding possession in the offensive zone much better, and are relying far less on single chances generated off the rush. They also seem to be able to break the cycle and limit the opposing team’s chances to what comes off of the rush.

The defensive breakdowns have been glaring at times and the turnovers too, but I see many of them as a symptom of players learning where they’re meant to be on the ice under Eakins’ system. What I can say for certain is that for the first time in many many years, it appears that the Oilers are playing a system, which is a step in the right direction. Eller was right, the Oilers have played like a junior team/AHL team in the past because of the lack of NHL players. One of the ways to counter that deficiency is to implement proper structure to the game so it’s more predictable.

As always, GOILERS! My happy pills (or kool-aid) or what-have-you is working this morning apparently.

47. Colonel Obvious says:

RMGS:

Keep him down all year!

Seriously. Omark is way too good for the AHL. Fortunately we have a word for someone who is way too good for the AHL. It is called NHL player.

What really gets my goat is the idea that Omark is just like someone like Rob Schremp who never, in his entire life, has done what Omark does with regularity.

Call up Omark now. Please.

THAT’S progress!

The Oilers have six NHL defensemen this year. Last year they had three, a rookie, a marginal D, and the one-legged guy. Of course, its progress. Better players, not necessarily better coaching. The best thing MacT did last summer was add defensemen, even though I hate the NMC on the Ference contract.

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    From the file: THINGS EVERYONE BUT BOWMAN SAW COMING:

Khabby lets in 6 on 25 shots and now has a .818 in 2 games.

The interesting thing there… well there are a lot of interesting things… is that they

1) let Emery go (he hasn’t played well in Philly, mind you), he’s younger, has had more success recently, etc.

2) they sign Khabi, as old and injury prone as he is, for slightly more money than Emery

3) they snag Raanta (great pick up), who looks to be struggling to find #1 AHL minutes and perform consistently

4) their other AHL prospect (Kent Simpson) looks like he might be the best option for work

the whole situation is interesting. so is the Icehogs website background!

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RMGS:

Keep him down all year!

I know, right!

I noted last night during the game that Omark was actually the one posting up in the paint during the Larsen goal… defying the conversation I was having the other day about Jones-Omark.

I swear, it’s the beard.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis: so is the Icehogs website background!

You are going to want to refresh that website until the background is the fans in their icehog gear.

Here’s a question I’ve been thinking about this week. What do the Oilers do with Pitlick even if he only plays at the current level? Do they send him down when they activate Gagner? Hall? MacIntyre?

I think it’s more likely Eager gets sent out before Pitlick, but what about Jones? I think the Oilers probably send Pitlick back down after Hall and Gagner are activated, and likely place MacIntyre on waivers.

And that btw is the reason I’ve always argued we should cheer like hell for Gazdic. If he performs well, the Oilers won’t feel a need to waste another roster spot.

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

It really depends on how Eakins/MacT’s thinking on that 4th line evolves.

With the full roster (not how I would set it up, but how it may well go):

RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Gagner-Perron-Yakupov
    Gordon-Joensuu-Hemsky
    Acton-Smyth-Gazdic
    (spares: Arco and Eager/Jones)

Pitlick probably goes down. I don’t think that is a bad call BTW. I like him getting big minutes down in OKC and learning how to PK.

His best bet right now is continued injuries, or Eakins/MacT rethinking that 4th line.

And, I completely agree. Gazdic has played himself into the Brown role you noted in the Summer (good enough to satisfy whatever meat the team feels it needs to keep them from adding another one)

54. stevezie says:

Looking at Omark’s stats I notice Larsen is also a point a game. How long does he stay on the farm?

Grebs in for N Schultz. I liked what little we saw of Grebeshkov last game, should be fun.

The problem is the systems risk reward probabilities begin to tilt against you the more highly skilled and talented the opposition is. You can biitz Mark Sanchez, but you are likely to lose blitzing Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

Brady and Manning get beat when you go can pressure them with four guys, and mix up and disguise zone coverages behind that. Blitz them with man coverage somewhere, and you lose most of the time.

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie:

Saw him good in the pre-season. I really wonder if the reports of his NHL demise were premature. I don’t know if the team can find room for him this year let alone give him another contract… but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him find NHL work in the not-so-distant future.

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Giving him a captaincy makes less and less sense.

59. jp says:

stevezie:

They’ll both be back in the NHL before long if they keep putting up points like they have. Depth!

60. spoiler says:

Allan MItchell and Lowetide just mentioned on HockeyCentral.

61. fifthcartel says:

Jeff Marek mentioning Lowetide on Sportsnet, that was pretty cool.

also – hope we see Larsen in some games eventually.

62. Jon K says:

Nice shout out for the blog on Sportsnet Hockeycentral, LT!

63. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis: That’s twice now. N. Schultz the only D to take a break. The signs are everywhere… I hope he and his family aren’t too settled into EDM, he won’t be here much longer.

Giving him a captaincy makes less and less sense.

Quoted for truth.

That’s Larsen’s path back to the NHL right there.

64. jake70 says:

spoiler:
    Allan MItchell and Lowetide just mentioned on HockeyCentral.

Yeah, just heard that……pretty cool I must say….

I heard my name, and looked at my tv funny, so my dog barked. Love that dog.

66. spoiler says:

Lowetide: I heard my name, and looked at my tv funny, so my dog barked. Love that dog.

Apparently you’ve been rocking the Yakupov boat.

67. jake70 says:

What did they say about the blog?…it surprised me so didn’t register what they referred to in the blog…..

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

spoiler:
    Allan MItchell and Lowetide just mentioned on HockeyCentral.

Bruce Wayne is Batman?!

69. spoiler says:

spoiler:

Apparently you’ve been rocking the Yakupov boat.

Is there a black sedan outside filled with men in dark suits and Kevin Lowe?

spoiler: Apparently you’ve been rocking the Yakupov boat.

Nah. Marek was commenting on the post from the other day about players not passing the puck to Yakupov. Which is, of course, crazy. But it got this blog a mention and any publicity is good publicity. :-)

Lowetide: Nah. Marek was commenting on the post from the other day about players not passing the puck to Yakupov. Which is, of course, crazy. But it got this blog a mention and any publicity is good publicity.

Jeopardy Question: How are “bloggers in the basement”, and late teen female former child stars alike?

73. Ryan says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

It’s easy to be myopic… Yakupov was a net liability on the ice last year too, but he was producing with the magic stick (i.e. shooting %) + being a raw rookie made it more forgivable. Hopefully he starts figuring things out.

I think LT nailed Pitlick… He’ll get the at bats because he looks the part but ultimately, I don’t think he’ll deliver enough offense to remain in the league for long. I’m cheering for him, but I can’t see him hitting above the Mendoza line.

Where does Arco belong with a full lineup of healthy players? He’s too good to send back down.

godot10: Jeopardy Question:How are “bloggers in the basement”, and late teen female former child stars alike?

I’ll take Anna Chlumsky for $1000

75. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ryan: Nick Shultz has been struggling this year. Odd that a guy who used to be a serviceable player could be finished at only 31. Granted he’s got a lot of miles and he’s small for a dman.

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I’ll take Anna Chlumsky for $1000

Punky Brewster?

Nuge-Yak-Ebs
    Arco-Perron-Hemmer
    Gordon-Jones-Pitlick
    Acton-Gazdic-Eager

Smid-Petry
    Belov-S the Y
    Grebs-Ference

Hanna Barbara

Nice bit of work from Yakupov there. Won a puck battle got a good shot off. Nice start!

Shots 3-0 early, Oilers have played well early. Jones with a roughing penalty, and now the PK gets put to work.

80. G Money says:

Lowetide: Huh. David Staples calls out the Nuge at the exact point where he’s laying waste. Interesting viewpoint, don’t agree.

There is a tale of two Nuges happening. He has strong front halves (halfs?) of games (like Wsh), and fades as the game goes on, creating less on the attack and giving up more on the defense (like Wsh).

I think it is conditioning personally. No training camp, he got thrown in the deep end (26 mins?) his first game back, first line opp every night, and then off on a nasty road trip – and several games without his prime river pusher.

So in one sense Staples is right – he needs to up his game. I don’t think that’s a lack of effort though – it will come with a few more games of conditioning under his belt (a Superman jammies belt, no doubt, he is just a child), and maybe a half dozen games of home cooking.

G Money: There is a tale of two Nuges happening.He has strong front halves (halfs?) of games (like Wsh), and fades as the game goes on, creating less on the attack and giving up more on the defense (like Wsh).

I think it is conditioning personally.No training camp, he got thrown in the deep end (26 mins?) his first game back, first line opp every night, and then off on a nasty road trip – and several games without his prime river pusher.

82. jp says:

I’m watching the Phx feed. They just noted with surprise how well RNH was playing down low in the D zone. The league will understand Nuge soon enough.

83. D says:

Interesting to hear the Phoenix feed talk about the Oilers playing “suspect hockey” over the season but being able to get away with it because of their immense talent.

84. jp says:

Ryan:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Nick Shultz has been struggling this year.Odd that a guy who used to be a serviceable player could be finished at only 31.Granted he’s got a lot of miles and he’s small for a dman.

Where does Arco belong with a full lineup of healthy players?He’s too good to send back down.

LT called the many “miles” on Schultz at the time of the trade.

Re: Arcobello, with him PKing they might well find a place for him in the bottom 6.

I’m liking the effort so far, certainly at 5×5 imo the Oilers have had the edge. Perron is an absolute snake to play against, thank you baby Jesus (and MacT) for Perron!

86. D says:

I liked your comparison of the Perron acquisition to a “Sather like deal”.

D:

I liked your comparison of the Perron acquisition to a “Sather like deal”.

Pitlick scores!

88. spoiler says:

Lol, we’ll take it.

89. jp says:

Goaaaaaal! Pitlick!!

90. fuzzy muppet says:

Pitlick with the fakeout chane up for his first NHL goal!

91. Jon K says:

They don’t ask how, just how many. What a beauty for a first. Haha.

92. jp says:

Ugly on Smith though…

93. OilBuzz says:

YEAH!

94. rich says:

Pitlick with a muffin for a goal. Good on him.

95. D says:

That works!

96. spoiler says:

I could have swore we were supposed to collapse from embarrassment just sharing the rink with a Western Conference team.

97. VanOil says:

Not falling behind early in the first during a noon game in the desert means Hockey does not have to die today. Yeah! It still could but it does not have to.

98. G Money says:

The Oilers have been the better team so far. Quite a few games they’ve done that and ended up being scored on anyway. Nice to see the scoreboard tilting the right way.

Lowetide: for me, the problem is counting the errors on goals. It’s like the other night, Nuge gets tripped, never gets back into the play and that’s an error. I can’t agree. It isn’t a fair system, it has bias.

I don’t think I’m being unfair. Hell, on that Nuge goal, I’m sure others noticed but *I* was the first one to post in this blog that that goal resulted from an uncalled trip on Nuge (I went back and watched it in slo mo a half dozen times). But there were quite a lot more chances on Nuge’s line in the latter half of that game. I thought they owned the Caps early (unrewarded on a bunch of chances) and then got owned late (penalized on seemingly every chance).

99. fuzzy muppet says:

Someone behind the Oilers bench is looking real nice

100. jp says:

Wow, Yandle with the takedown.

And, not sure what the chance/corsi says, but the 4th line has seemed not terrible lately. Eager provides some kind of threat that at least COULD score on the opposition.

101. OilBuzz says:

Kermit the Frog making a surprise appearance

G Money:
    The Oilers have been the better team so far. Quite a few games they’ve done that and ended up being scored on anyway.Nice to see the scoreboard tilting the right way.

I don’t think I’m being unfair.Hell, on that Nuge goal, I’m sure others noticed but *I* was the first one to post in this blog that that goal resulted from an uncalled trip on Nuge (I went back and watched it in slo mo a half dozen times).But there were quite a lot more chances on Nuge’s line in the latter half of that game. I thought they owned the Caps early (unrewarded on a bunch of chances) and then got owned late (penalized on seemingly every chance).

Should have been more clear. I’m suggesting David Staples gave an error on that play, and imo that’s exactly the reason why David’s errors stat has some problems. It’s not David I’m critical of either, it’s any of us.

103. jp says:

Gheez, that’s a pretty bad hit on Petry. Full on elbow/forearm to the face.

104. fuzzy muppet says:

Yak has to learn to go to the net. He doesn’t look like he wants to engage physically at all

105. hunter1909 says:

This looks like a loss coming.

106. Jon K says:

Yakupov with a nice game so far aside from that one missed assignment on Morris.

107. hags9k says:

We’re flyin out there. We got these dawgs.

108. VanOil says:

hunter1909:
    This looks like a loss coming.

Your pessimism brings me joy

109. hunter1909 says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Yak has to learn to go to the net.He doesn’t look like he wants to engage physically at all

What game are you watching? Yakupov just rushed the puck from end to end during that 4 on 4.

VERY nice defensive play there by Yakupov to thwart the shot from the slot. Man that was nice.

111. fuzzy muppet says:

Nice stick by Yak. That wasn’t his man and saved to point blank chance

112. G Money says:

Can anyone explain why the late elbow directly to the head against the boards wasn’t a major, or even a five and a game?

113. OilBuzz says:

Winning the puck battles, looking excellent so far

114. Jon K says:

Perron takes a few bad penalties himself, but he seems to have a real penchant for drawing penalties.

115. FastOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Can’t say if he’s done as an NHL D-man… but he’s done as an Oiler and sooner than later.

The Oilers have a history of getting sub par out of decent players. They only succeeded in getting below replacement play out of below replacement Khabbi. He is very reliable as a well past it player which must be what Bowman was after. Reliability is valuable. Or maybe he wanted to give the boys a challenge.

NS has value and I would like to see them get it once the playoffs are gone. No HS, good minutes. C&B is saying .610 to get in. If we say 43 wins and they win today I see it as .560. Either way hope is faint but there is a lot to enjoy still, especially once everyone gets more comfortable in the hive and the massive brain farts lessen. There should be some good watchin’ kind of games which alone is a massive improvement.

They kids are going to get schooled still, as Backstrom schooled Nuge in the paint. I think we’ll see them get more serious about losing with Eakins on them. A few guys seem like they need to strength train some as well which can’t happen in the season.

Once they get a good enough taste of success I don’t think they’ll leave the table.

116. hunter1909 says:

Yakupov might need a new nickname to encourage him to start scoring 45 goals:

How about ‘Titanic’?

117. VanOil says:

Nailing one on the PP would be nice. The kid is working hard this afternoon and deserves it.

118. hunter1909 says:

LOL @ Fox NHL feed commercial: that’s targeted to newly unemployed married men with working wives.

119. fuzzy muppet says:

Behind the Coyotes bench is Kermit the Frog. Behind the Oilers bench, there’s a couple of nice things

120. Jon K says:

11-7 shots on goal, 1-0 a lot of nice things. NOW they need to do it two more times.

122. VanOil says:

Jones on the PP burns my eyes, a fair assessment or not, it burns.

123. Romulus Apotheosis says:

what are the chances I can get in on that birth control class action suit?

124. hunter1909 says:

Jon K: Behind the net has Perron’s penalties per 60 as 1.9 taken and 1.5 drawn. The penalties drawn has him tied for 3rd on the team.

If the Morlocks from “The Time Machine” had any interest in sports, I’m sure they’d be interested in these kind of stats.

Or Oiler fans.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    what are the chances I can get in on that birth control class action suit?

I think I’m two times eligible! (at least!)

126. Nuckout says:

VanOil:

127. VanOil says:

Dorthy Hamill skating with Coyotes seems a better intermission report than Sportsnet

128. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Feels that way, doesn’t it? Man, Slats used to go to market with an old watermelon and two

Pitlick scores!

Quoted for posterity.

129. jp says:

Nuckout: There’s this new theory in hockey relating to the powerplay, it’s called “getting the puck to the net creates more scoring chances”. I wonder if someone should inform Dallas Krueger of this study?

130. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I think I’m two times eligible! (at least!)

extra skater has 12-10 CF in period 1.

132. hags9k says:

VanOil:
    Jones on the PP burns my eyes, a fair assessment or not, it burns.

My remote control is nervous. It’s like socks with sandals. Just don’t Dallas.

133. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: American commercials are mostly the same, but it’s the subtle differences that really open your eyes.

Pizza size Chocolate chip cookies is not so subtle

134. VanOil says:

hags9k: My remote control is nervous.

lol, as long as your dog is safe.

135. prairieschooner says:

If the Oilers power play and penalty kill was even average as opposed to the stellar they were last last year we would all be feeling a lot better.

136. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil: Pizza size Chocolate chip cookies is not so subtle

Neither is a broad advertising sweep of the general population to drive up numbers in a class action lawsuit.

But… wow $99 for two lower bowl tickets and two beers!!! USA! USA! USA!

137. Romulus Apotheosis says:

When was the last time Katz bar-b-qued up some pork for the fans?

138. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I for see a class action suit against the cookies because you can no longer fit in you lower bowl seats!

139. Nuckout says:

jp: Sigh. Last years top 10 PP was not based on bombing it from the point. For sure they’re over-handling and not getting the puck to the net enough at the moment, but it’s a fine line.

140. striatic says:

extra skater has 12-10 CF in period 1.

It is refreshing to see the chances for and against being roughly even or better, game in, game out.

Not dominant yet, but the progression is clear.

Just need to catch a few more bounces in games like the last one at this team will be a .500 franchise.

141. Ribs says:

Slot Problems.

142. fuzzy muppet says:

Petry with a bad play at the blue line. GA

143. striatic says:

Nuckout: True enough about the fine line, but they’re still trying to be cute and pretty. Teams are closing off the middle on the PK and not allowing a lot of shots, but I see missed opportunities for shots on net with a man or two in front.

Plus the threat of the point shot will draw the PKers higher to block.

It’s .. well damn.

Luck just wanders from bar to bar. Seriously. Luck is a bitch.

145. D says:

Hopefully that goal by Phoenix wakes the Oilers up.

146. striatic says:

Nice shift by Jones.

147. Romulus Apotheosis says:

4 tickets, 4 pizzas, 4 pepsis $99!!!

wow.

148. spoiler says:

Nuge klinkhammers the post

149. jp says:

That was too bad. Yak the goat on that one.

edit: well, Labarbara too.

150. fuzzy muppet says:

Yak is unlucky right now. He fails to clear.Bam, back of the net

Yakupov needed to get that puck out. 2-1 Phoenix, and this period is really frustrating despite some good things. Nuge hits iron, back the other way and the Coyotes have a seeing eye single.

152. hags9k says:

Which way to the quarry again?

153. spoiler says:

Bloody hell.

Now we’re in a pickle.

155. fuzzy muppet says:

Yank him. Thats two softies.

and WHERES THE EFFORT?

156. OilBuzz says:

Wtf was that?

157. jp says:

lol, for all the apples, Arcobello hasn’t been able to do that in the good end yet.

158. striatic says:

How’d that happen?

Jeez. LaBarbera. “Convergence of traffic?” really?

159. fuzzy muppet says:

Why the hell is arcobello even trying to play that.

160. OilBuzz says:

Pull Labarbs

161. Nuckout says:

Complete breakdown. I can hear Eakins now, “We played a great game, except for the momentary lapse of reason in the second”.

162. fuzzy muppet says:

They may be pulling the plug on this season by December.

163. spoiler says:

fuzzy muppet: Yank him. Thats two softies. and WHERES THE EFFORT?

Yeah that tip by Arco totally made it stoppable. That’s not on LaBarbera. The change is to wake the team up.

164. OilBuzz says:

Oilers look panicky… Need to settle down their game again, Wow.

165. fuzzy muppet says:

OilBuzz,

Tough to blame him for that 3rd goal. Arcobello tries to deflect it out of mid-air. WHy? No one knows

166. jake70 says:

Nice tip by Arcobello, just enough to allow it to hit the inside of the post rather than square.

Well cripes folks, you can’t blame that third goal on LaBarbera and lordy the hockey Gods have this bunch on the run. Still, nothing’s really changed. Oilers give up three goals in 5 minutes, and really, the game has been lose in those 300 seconds.

168. D says:

I like LaBarbera’s fire. A little passion is what’s missing with the team right now.

169. fuzzy muppet says:

spoiler,

Agreed i spoke too soon

170. striatic says:

That was a pretty mild deflection from Arcobello. Labarbera was off his angle and left enough of the bottom of the net open that the shot could have gone in without a deflection.

171. Old School G says:

Im really liking that they let Barbs get back in there and finish the job. Our bottom 6 is doing some really good things, we are still very much in this one!

172. G Money says:

Story of the Oilers season so far. Carry the balance of the play, miss a great chance off the crossbar at one end, and then two softies go in on the Oilers, and a long steep hill to climb to get back in it.

173. Nuckout says:

Keith Yandle on Fox: “Our goal was to get as many shots on net as possible.”

It’s 3-1.

Is there something to that?

174. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jeez… c’mon Gord, I ate my peas! honest.

175. fuzzy muppet says:

Be ready for some BORING trap hockey in full effect now.

Will this team ever learn?? They let down, 3 goals in no time

176. cabbiesmacker says:

Game highlight? The brunette with the Grade A schmeebs behind the Oiler bench.

Which by my calculations makes it 5 boobs behind the Oilers bench

177. spoiler says:

That’s what we need to do.

178. OilBuzz says:

fuzzy muppet:
    OilBuzz,

Tough to blame him for that 3rd goal.Arcobello tries to deflect it out of mid-air. WHy?No one knows

Seems like Eakins and I both had a knee-jerk reaction.

179. fuzzy muppet says:

4th line gets one back!

180. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I ate my carrots too!

thank you Gord!

Acton (Gazdic, Eager) tinker to evers to chance it is not, but I’ll take it!

182. fuzzy muppet says:

Notice where Eager shoots that. Halll would try and pick the top corner and miss the net cause a break the other way

183. jake70 says:

One thing we are seeing so far is some consistent 2ndary scoring.

184. fuzzy muppet says:
  185. spoiler says:

That looks like a knee injury.

186. Ribs says:

Schlemko. Shoulda traded for him like in my dream last night, I guess.

187. jp says:

We may see Omark tomorrow.

188. hags9k says:

Left knee is the new shoulder. Thanks Gords.

189. striatic says:

spoiler,

At least it wasn’t knee on knee, but i won’t be convinced it is a “Charlie Horse” until we see Pitlick taking a shift.

190. OilBuzz says:

Ouch, doesn’t look good for Pitlick

191. striatic says:

Pitlick out 4 weeks with a Charlie Horse.

192. Southern Oil says:

Feel bad for the kid. I thought he looked pretty good tonight and with all the other injuries had a chance to show some things over the next few games.

193. SK Oiler Fan says:

Hockey gods made the Pitlick decision for MacT. F off hockey gods.

194. Nuckout says:

Well, Pitlick is toast. The oilers aren’t allowed to have nice things.

195. fuzzy muppet says:

Smith is not sharp. Throw everything at him

196. spoiler says:

Perron is snake bit in the desert.

197. Jon K says:

That was either a set play off the draw or some great vision by Arcobello feeding Perron.

198. jp says:

I can’t disagree with that. The PP sure isn’t working right now, but I don’t think a complete overhaul is necessarily in order (maybe it is though).

199. fuzzy muppet says:

Seriously hockey Gods. two posts for, two own Goals against and an injury to an effective player

Newer Comments »