OILERS AT KINGS, G13, 13-14

When my kids were small and they were getting excited for Christmas, I’d tell them how many days and they’d say it seemed like forever. It was all worth it, because Christmas morning their excitement was the best thing about my year. I didn’t grow up with Christmas (Jehovah’s Witness) and so never felt that anticipation (although my parents were wonderful people and I certainly never felt unfortunate) or the joy of giving until the kids came along. I can still remember Christmas mornings with my wife and children, they are the best memories.

edm winter

The Oiler fanbase reminds me of my kids when they were young ones. Can’t wait for Christmas, impatient for the next day. We can see structure now, just not all of the time. We can see effective play, but we can also see a frightening save percentage. The club lacks balance–sweet, beautiful, balance–and until the day arrives when we can see they have enough in every area then these frustrating games will continue.

The current maladies are goaltending, the power play and the penalty kill. Fix those things and the goals for may dry up. When that’s fixed the tip drill skaters (question: how many goals against have come from Oiler players changing the direction of the puck? TEN? I bet it’s ten) will chime in again.

It’s frustrating, but it is not hopeless. There’s a difference.

grace kelly 22Oilers are in Los Angeles tonight, they have a tough opponent and really their only hope is that one of the kids catches fire and pops a hat-trick. I think the Nuge is the most likely candidate, Yakupov the least, but hockey doesn’t tell you when players break out, only that they will. Dubnyk could also do this 3-8-1 club an enormous favor by not allowing the sun to shine, but I’m hesitant to suggest it lest it goes the other way (plenty of daylight between the legs and over the shoulders).

cardinale3The Oilers have recalled Anton Lander, meaning the club will have 5 centermen in the lineup tonight (I thought this would be the opening night lineup). A quick look at the lines (this is my construction, actual lines may be different) shows 3 men who were supposed to be in Oklahoma City (they are underlined):

1. Nuge-Yakupov-Eberle
  2. Arcobello-Perron-Hemsky
  3. Gordon-Lander-Jones
  4. Acton-Gazdic-Eager

Eakins has enough penalty killers, finally. I don’t know how much offense he’ll get from the bottom 6F’s at evens, but a few guys like Gagner and Smyth must be close to returning.

The Oilers have also recalled Richard Bachman, something we talked about here. I think most of us are cheering like hell for the goaltending, and I don’t doubt that Devan Dubnyk will regain his form–but at this point the recall for Bachman tells me management is trying everything to cajole more from their current group. In a weird way, the Bachman recall is an endorsement of the current Oilers, a wakeup call that doesn’t involve sending part of the cluster away.

That comes next.

518 Responses to "OILERS AT KINGS, G13, 13-14"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Gret99zky says:

srisribillyg:
    The word is out that you can pull this kind of shit on the Oilers all night long and there’s never any price to pay.

Bingo.

I’m more concerned about the powerplay. four minutes there and not close to enough offense.

3. jake70 says:

^

4. stevezie says:

They’re almost gushing over the Oilers. Strange.

5. jake70 says:

I think they forget that passing (in O zone) is a means to an end. Although they are shooting more overall it looks like this year.

6. SK Oiler Fan says:

WTF? just tuned in. Bachman? MacT doesn’t mess around. Bachman looks aggressive.
    Fin knee on Nuge that could end a career and no call. 5, game, and suspension if that was on Kessel. Bush
    Now 3 make up calls. Never change NHL officiating.

7. jp says:

NUGE IS BACK! Now, do I keep the candle lit?

Please do.

8. VanOil says:

As a general policy taking a whack at Reger is a good policy to endear yourself to Oilers fans

9. 99thoilerfan says:

After the Ellen pun, we can rest in knowing Gene is in fine form.

10. striatic says:

SK Oiler Fan: MacT doesn’t mess around.

Dubnyk has a sore ankle, and Labarbera wasn’t going to play back to back.

11. hunter1909 says:

Oilers playing hockey tonight like thirteen year olds making out.

LOL @ Doughty as he disses the Oilers by trying to go through all of them.

12. linkfromhyrule says:

lol not watching this game atm, I rode the emotional roller coaster of OMG NUGE IS HURT to OMG NUGE IS BACK through the comments.

13. Andy P says:

hodgkins:
    Perron punched in the face.Nothing from the refs?

It’s an American team, remember.

14. jake70 says:

Holy, be a few ice baths for the Oil after this one.

15. jp says:

Arcobello is great! Buried behind the net due to size differential but comes back hard. He’s not perfect, but he does bring some nice things.

Also, nice period by Bachman.

16. fuzzy muppet says:

It’s strange seeing a Goaltender actually stop shots from the point.

Bachmann for Mayor!

17. russ99 says:

These old school jerseys really bring me back.

18. SK Oiler Fan says:

striatic,

I see. thanks. I thought we were back to the 2006 three headed monster

19. 99thoilerfan says:

Bachmann for Mayor!

Where do I get my button! Great 20 for him!

20. D says:

Dear Universe,

Please tell us that Richard Bachman is “Player of the Week Mike Morrison” for the remainder of this season and playoffs.

21. danny says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You mean Sam Reinhart. McDavid is next year.

No I meant McDavid. Im aware Reinhart is the 2014 draft.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

whew… this is brutal fight.

the sheer number of non-interference calls let alone all the other extra nonsense is amazing in this game. Stoll’s face after the hooking call said it all… “what, you guys never call my obvious violations, why suddenly change pattern now?”

23. G Money says:

stevezie: LA commentators seem to think the Kings are getting lucky with calls. You don’t hear that every day.

I said this in yesterday’s game in Phoenix and I will say it again: a Canadian team will NEVER get fair reffing against a US team – especially a large market team. I noticed this for the first time about five years ago when I was watching SJ games while visiting family in the Bay Area. The reffing was completely different US vs US than what I was used to. Then I noticed the same thing for Canada vs Canada. Terrible referring, yes – but at least unevenly even.

But US vs Canada – especially large southern market – HUGE bias. Every game.

The PPs in that period were 2-2, but the infractions were, what, 12-2 against the Kings? Notice how much whining Stoll and Doughty did when they got called? You know why? Because against a Cdn team, they *expect* *never* to get called.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

danny: No I meant McDavid. Im aware Reinhart is the 2014 draft.

yikes!

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

remember when Jack in the Box poisoned everyone?

26. RMGS says:

The numbers won’t look good, but that was one gutsy first period performance by the Oilers against the detestable Kings and atrocious refereeing.

27. VanOil says:

28. jp says:

Damn, I miss Jarret Stoll (he was just interviewed on the Kings feed). Sure the original trade for Visnovsky was good. But then Visnovsky became Whitney (and you know Quinn et al wouldn’t have traded Stoll and Greene away). How much would those guys have helped the Oilers over the last few years? But then again, it might have meant no Hall/RNH/Yak…

29. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    remember when Jack in the Box poisoned everyone?

Yes. There current Malted Milk Shake is a chemical concoction that does not seem to have any milk products in it. But it is a totally addictive calorie bomb I love.

30. hodgkins says:

G Money,

Interesting thought, but seems anecdotal. Shouldn’t be too hard for someone to find the data to see if this is true or not. Do you know of any fans or blogs out there that really get into numbers? :)

31. Andy P says:

VanOil: Was speaking with a Goalie Coach last night who has worked with Dubby in the past. He does not feel that Dubby is an ‘starting goalie’. He felt all through Dubbies development size trumped skill and agility. Seeing Bachman active agility tonight it seems a some what valid point. Even if it came from a Flames fan. But size does mater as evident by Eager being in the NHL and not Omark.

“Bingo” Hence his struggles with smaller pads and stick. He lacks the athleticism to adjust. I would rate Dubs as a very good backup though.

32. Kitchener says:

Things to like:
    - Moments after Arco gets creamed, he takes a number, circles back and staples his man.
    - Bachman looking good. Yes indeed D, “Dear Universe,”
    - The only thing not to like about Boyd Gordon? There’s just one of him.
    - Eberle: anyone complaining about the contract tonight?
    - MacT isn’t the sucker who just overpaid for Vanek.
    - Yak getting PP time.
    - Belov taking shots.
    - The fact that there’s 70 games x 2 points still up for grabs.

Edit: Ah yes… and Sault Ste. Marie is in Kitchener in a few weeks. Nurse off to a great start; hope he flattens every Ranger and scores 5.

33. Southern Oil says:

Call me Don Cherry if you want. But after that knee on knee with RNH, I wanted to see blood. Took me some time to calm down after that.

34. VanOil says:

5 shots should be a power play not a period.

35. Nightman_ says:

Is Buchberger running the PK again? He did in 2009/2010 didn’t he?

I enjoyed that period. There was a lot of borderline crap, but the Nuge hit aside (I would have been fine with a later period el kaboingo) it’s a big team making the other side climb a mountain.

37. Henry says:

BlacqueJacque:
    K, so I decided to not burn my gear.I’m going to give it away, right?

I put my jerseys in the washing machine, on delicate, inside out, with only a hint of detergent – as per instructions.

Oh Oilers colours, how you never run… no, wait a minute.You fail me even in the end.

Any ideas, anyone?Or is this one actually destined to help me start a campfire one day?

Welcome back to Hades’ foyer BJ.

38. 99thoilerfan says:

Kitchener:
    Things to like:
    - Bachman looking good.Yes indeed D, “Dear Universe,”
    - The only thing not to like about Boyd Gordon?There’s just one of him.
    - Eberle: anyone complaining about the contract tonight?
    - MacT isn’t the sucker who just overpaid for Vanek.
    - Yak getting PP time.
    - Belov taking shots
    - The fact that there’s 70 games x 2 points still up for grabs.

Add Nuge and Smid back out there after some big hits…

39. SK Oiler Fan says:

1st and a 2nd round picks for maybe 10 more goals out of Vanek over the season? Wang’s World Wang’s world, party time, excellent.

40. D says:

Kitchener:
    Things to like:
    - Bachman looking good.Yes indeed D, “Dear Universe,”
    - The only thing not to like about Boyd Gordon?There’s just one of him.
    - Eberle: anyone complaining about the contract tonight?
    - MacT isn’t the sucker who just overpaid for Vanek.
    - Yak getting PP time.
    - Belov taking shots
    - The fact that there’s 70 games x 2 points still up for grabs.

Really liked Arco in that period.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oh Gene….

42. 99thoilerfan says:

OK… Maybe Gene is not on his game after all…. Bad Track suit gag…

See, that’s a fine hit by Petry. Now if he did that and maybe crowned him a little? Fine by me. I’d rather see that than running after Clifford with Nuge down. That’s just an auto goal against.

44. hodgkins says:

Atta boy Petry!

45. jp says:

Jones trying at least.

46. hodgkins says:

Loving the lack of rebounds from Bachmann. Looks like Manny Legace out there!

47. jp says:

I do like Gazdic on some level.

48. FastOil says:

If their 4th liner runs our 1C return the favour to their top 6. Nothing else will work, or suck it up and use the anger to win. Maybe that’s what the Messier thing is about.

The longer the Oilers can survive these attempts to scare them off their game and just play hockey the more the refs will have to call it. It’s been a generation but we’ve been here before.

49. jp says:

Nail. Yes.

50. fuzzy muppet says:

YAK1 The curse is broken!

51. Rebilled says:

Thank you!

52. srisribillyg says:

That’s much better.

You’ve got to face down aggression or people will walk over you.

I wonder who said what to whom in the dressing room during the intermission?

I’m watching the Fox Sports feed and they just showed three Kings crammed into the penalty box.

Beauty.

53. BlacqueJacque says:

Creepy.

I was folding my Yakupov jersey as I watched that play.

54. VanOil says:

Yak off the silly bridge reference.

55. 99thoilerfan says:

Yak!

56. SK Oiler Fan says:

That PP was absolutely gross despite the goal by Yak. Negative puck support.

57. Gret99zky says:

Welcome back, Yak!

58. Suntory Hanzo says:

feed died just before the goal.

anyone have a good one? first row has been sucky

59. hodgkins says:

Yak City B%*#@!!!

BlacqueJacque:
    Creepy.

I was folding my Yakupov jersey as I watched that play.

FOLD IT SOME MORE!

61. srisribillyg says:

Like Yakupov’s body language there. Celebrated the goal with all the intensity of a man who just carried a trash bag to the curb.

Correct.

62. wheatnoil says:

srisribillyg:

Correct.

That enigmatic Russian bastard!

63. fuzzy muppet says:

That’s a horse shit call again

64. Suntory Hanzo says:

Mayhaps the new ‘Waiting for Godot” is waiting for the bullshit Canada/USA call!

65. srisribillyg says:

In other news, can we please get Bob Miller and Jim Fox to work some games on TSN/CBC/Sportsnet Wherever? These guys are killing it.

66. RexLibris says:

I just thought of something. If Yakupov had changed his number to #10 this off season and gone through the drought that he has, you-know-who would get the blame.

67. RexLibris says:

Just tuned in. How does Bachman look?

68. Suntory Hanzo says:

Any feed other than adthe or firstrow?

all are crazy laggy or don’t work.

DSF? Help a BCer out?

69. RexLibris says:

Richard Bachman – a Gene Principe dream waiting to come true. I can almost hear him now “Bachman really Turner’ed a corner tonight and kicked his career into Overdrive”.

RexLibris:
    Just tuned in. How does Bachman look?

Like really good.

71. Nightman_ says:

Suntory Hanzo,

first row is working perfectly for me

p2p?

72. Henry says:

RexLibris:
    Just tuned in. How does Bachman look?

He’s very sharp so far. Charged Doughty on a rebound.

73. Suntory Hanzo says:

Thx billy..this one working better… mayhaps telus is slow around here right now.

74. Henry says:

Wonderful shift Mr Lander.

75. RexLibris says:

Interesting. Bachman was a Weisbrod pick when he was the New England scout for the Stars.

Might be goalie rookie night. Stalock had a good night for SJ this evening as well.

76. SK Oiler Fan says:

Big kings forwards are all over Bachman. Borderline G interference every time the puck is near the net. This is exactly what the Oil need to do.

77. Suntory Hanzo says:

hmmm. I think it was because my modem had fallen besie my couch.

Just got back from DC for a conference. I got so stoked when I saw Oilers Caps on the schedule, then found out it was in Edmonton when they were playign. Woulda been cool.

Feed is great now.

Thanks team!

78. crude says:

Petry really looks good of late.

79. Suntory Hanzo says:

If Bachman keeps this up, Hanna Barbera will have to take a “long walk” back to the AHL.

80. RexLibris says:

Oilers are getting killed in the fancystats. CF, shots.

And then the Kings score. Maybe I should’ve kept my mouth shut.

81. justDOit says:

Suntory Hanzo:
    If Bachman keeps this up,Hanna Barbera will have to take a “long walk” back to the AHL.

If there’s a backup job open, I think Bachman will be in The Running, Man.

82. Suntory Hanzo says:

justDOit,

he is cleary an Apt Pupil for an Oiler starter!

83. D says:

Bachman had no chance with that screen.

84. RexLibris says:

Ference is digging in his heels.

85. Suntory Hanzo says:

D,

It was a good shot. Reminded me of Hallsy’s against ..the Islanders?

86. srisribillyg says:

Well shit. Although the Kings’ goal horn is pretty boss.

Don’t remember where I first saw it, but this is a pretty cool labour of love:

87. RexLibris says:

Attention Rick Olcyk: please begin drafting the Hemsky extension proposal for something under $5 million a year.

88. Henry says:

I can’t help it. I like the Edmonton Oilers. They have a lot of reasons to mail it in against these guys but they aren’t.

89. RexLibris says:

Kings owning the majority of chances in the game so far and have only given up one goal.

Darryl Sutter’s message to his players in the intermission: “you’re playing too sloppy and need to button down defensively”.

1-1 after 2, I’d have taken that one. If they’d won against WPG, TOR and PHX, a win in this game would have meant a chance to go over. .500

91. SK Oiler Fan says:

Does J Shultz ever piss me off with the yah, I’m calm and cool act in his own end. F off and play hockey.
    He also got owned on the goal and where he’s supposed to make up for the fact that he’s not a DMan is on the PP, but it’s shit to. Sit him for Grebs next game. Rant over

92. G Money says:

The physicality and the tenacity on the puck, plus the non-stop uncalled hooks, holds, interference, and trips are pretty much expected from the Kings.

What’s impressing me is their anticipation with sticks and skates. Wow. The most common play by play phrase so far has been “and [Oiler player] tries to get it out but doesn’t get it by [Kings player]“.

I know some of it is excellent positioning, but the stops at the blueline are just unbelievably quick sticks. I wonder if that’s a coachable skill, or just something you have as a player?

93. D says:

srisribillyg:
    Well shit. Although the Kings’ goal horn is pretty boss.

Don’t remember where I first saw it, but this is a pretty cool labour of love:

This website is awesome!

94. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I saw 19 really, really bad in that period. just me?

95. tcho says:

It’s shaping up to be one heck of an ugly night re. advanced stats, I think.

96. PREDICKTER says:

come on , your too experienced to play the what if game. I shoot,shoot, shoot, shoot, score anoter goal

97. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I saw 19 really, really bad in that period. just me?

Um, yup.

He needs to bring the same sense of tenacity and urgency that he has in the offensive zone to the defensive zone. That last “ho-hum I have the puck woops where did he come from?” bullshit giveaway is unforgiveable.

98. fuzzy muppet says:

SK Oiler Fan,

He’s too lacksidaisical (sp??) for my taste too. He looks flat out lazy at times

99. Zelepukin says:

It was probably Yaks/Nuge error on that goal just as much as Jultz. Yaks should have covered for Nuge in taking Richards and Nuge should know better to not expect Yaks to be reliable in swapping coverage.

100. Henry says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I saw 19 really, really bad in that period. just me?

I was thinking on a PP that 19 thinks ahead very quickly in the O zone, but almost not at all in the D zone. He’s like having Mike Piazza behind the plate with guys on base sometimes. But damn he passes the puck right on the tape with pace when guys are cutting sharply in on goal. I really hope he gets past the defensive indifference.

101. G Money says:

tcho:
    It’s shaping up to be one heck of an ugly night re. advanced stats, I think.

So far it is a very ugly night everywhere but the scoreboard.

That said, the one saving grace is that for all the shots the Kings have taken, there actually haven’t been that many five-bell chances. Bachman has been solid, but he hasn’t had to be brilliant by any means.

Weird that the Oilers have been in/won a number of the games where they’ve been badly outplayed, and lost (sometimes lost big) in most of the games where they’ve been the better team.

Now if they can just get Hall/Gagner/Smyth/Joensuu back in the lineup *without* losing anybody else, and get solid goaltending most nights …

(PRE-EMPTIVE HALLOWEEN CHANT: “FUCK YOU HOCKEY GOURDS!”)

102. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy

“@NateInVegas: After 40: #Oilers 6 #Kings 12 (ST 4-3)”

TWO chances at evens?

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 9m

So, even strength shot attempts are 32-10 for the Kings. The Oilers’ CF% is 23.8%.

104. fuzzy muppet says:

The problem with 19 is if he’s not contributing offensively, he’s not a very good defender. The good news is his next contract isn’t going to be a crazy raise.

105. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The best part is it’s somehow 1-1 after 2.

The worst part is that you are tricked into thinking this is a winnable game, when clearly that is impossible.

The other worst thing is the thought that Clifford won’t get suspended… because Oilers. Shades of Paajarvi.

106. G Money says:

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 9m

That’s a good sign, right? Like the Ott game?

Actually, is there any update on the scoring chances? By eye anyway a lot of the Kings shots have been of the “shoot it at the net and hope for a greasy rebound” type, rather than real chances. I’m guessing the chance totals, while still favouring the Kings, won’t be quite as lopsided. (Again, a wee bit like the Sens game where the CF% was 25% but a ton of shots were from the blue line, and so somewhat unsurprisingly the CoH guys had the scoring chances at 17-14 in the Oilers favour).

107. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 9m

Who could have seen that coming?

The 3rd period should be interesting.

108. RMGS says:

Numbers aside, the Oilers look harder to play against – they may be losing the board battles, but they’re making the Kings work for every inch.

Justin Schultz needs a healthy scratch. I’m all for chaos in the D-zone as long as you’re contributing a lot more than you’re giving up. He needs a wake-up call. Let Belov and Petry – the team’s best defencemen currently – handle the points on the PP for a while.

1-1 heading into the third against a tough divisional rival on a back-to-back with a depleted line-up and the third goaler (not for long). This is why the Oilers are an addiction.

109. Henry says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    The best part is it’s somehow 1-1 after 2.

It was interesting that Hanzal on Petry is getting reviewed for suspension. It pissed me off at the time that there was no sack in the officials there. That elbow should have been 5 and a game (or optionally 5 and no game) if for no other reason than to prevent Old Testament retribution.

Clifford’s obvious kneeing while probably instinct and not dirt should have been 5 and a game too. The officials are making Steve MacIntyre’s career justifiable and contributing to future dirty play.

110. Kitchener says:

We’re looking good to start the third. In terms of poise, we’re in good shape with a chance to win.

Nail Nail Nail

112. Henry says:

Would the Oilers have been able to draft RNH if Tambi had traded Eric Cole for Williams instead of POS?

113. Romulus Apotheosis says:

What the hell was Yak doing there…. shit

114. tcho says:

31-13 Shots.

115. fuzzy muppet says:

If only Nick Schultx could hit the net

116. Romulus Apotheosis says:

the NHL is cracking down on head shots. That’s why the Petry hit is being reviewed.

Clifford will probably get nothing, because knees are cool.

117. Kitchener says:

Nail Nail Nail

Yes – he’s looking ripe for a GWG.

That was a nice shot by Jones there, seemed to give Quick some trouble.

119. Gret99zky says:

D: This website is awesome!

Wow. Cool. Columbus’ sounds really weird.

120. Romulus Apotheosis says:

the few shots we’ve had, have resulted in really juicy rebounds…. we need the 2nd guy in to rush the net and get that.

Perron is a man! LOVE IT!

122. fuzzy muppet says:

Am I the only one hoping they hang on for a point? Low expectations…

123. Henry says:

At his size Perron is amazingly solid on his skates against big guys.

124. SK Oiler Fan says:

Henry,

The thing that scares me is he really faded in the last 1/4 of his year last year. I don’t see it getting better. Mac T really needs to ask himself if he’s not going to get 30 plus points on the PP can he afford to have him play 20 min a night while bleeding chances and making 5M?
    He could improve, but it’s so bad right now that I’m not betting on it.

125. pboy says:

These young Oilers are going to have to learn about “prison rules” hockey. Perron already knows though, love this guy.

126. jake70 says:

*&^%$ b D-zone turnovers…

127. Henry says:

SK Oiler Fan,

That’s my feeling too. I’m not betting on it because I like my money, but I’m hoping.

128. stevezie says:

I’m not really watching the game, and find myself surprised by the positive comments the Kings’ broadcasters have for the Oil everytime I tune in and the abysmal tale told by the stats.

129. SK Oiler Fan says:

It’s a good sign when a lot of shots have hit Bachman in the crest

130. pboy says:

I hope Eakins is planning on starting Bachman against the Leafs on Tuesday.

131. fuzzy muppet says:

Better waive that off!

132. jp says:

A break? Really??

133. stevezie says:

fuzzy muppet: hang on

For a point? 4on4 and shootouts both play to our strengths. Hanging on is a good strategy. As I type this the Kings- wait never mind.

134. Kitchener says:

phew!

135. mustang says:

BACH-MAN……..BACH-MAN………BACH-MAN

136. alice13 says:

Why does LA always have the black thingy?

137. D says:

It’s nice that the Kings can only get pucks past Bachman with outright screens or incidental contact.

138. SK Oiler Fan says:

That’s been all night. Good on the zebra for catching that. Bachman sold it well to. smart guy, really battles in there. I think they have to play him tues

139. Kitchener says:

pboy:

So do Ference & Belov

140. Suntory Hanzo says:

Kitchener,

If he does against the Kings, his nickname should be ‘Scrubbies’!

scroll to the bottom…

141. Suntory Hanzo says:

Billy…my feed died!

142. 719 says:

How is that not a penalty after the call against Smid yesterday? I don’t understand NHL

143. fuzzy muppet says:

Notice where Bachman is on these saves.

Labarbera a DD are deep in the blue

144. srisribillyg says:

All five Kings below the hash marks on that last sequence.

How does Sutter do it?

Does he threaten to cane their children or something?

Now that’s a swarm!

145. striatic says:

Bachman has been just about the only good thing about this game.

146. fuzzy muppet says:

And how is that not a trip??? The stick is between his fuckin legs!

147. striatic says:

fuzzy muppet,

i’ve been noticing that as well.

i think there is a tendency to teach bigger goaltenders to play deeper in the net.

THIS is a helluva hockey game! I love this bunch! Great game. completely outmanned and they’re laying it all on the line. Love it!

149. striatic says:

fuzzy muppet,

i figured that after the no-goal call, the Oilers weren’t going to get any additional help from the refs.

150. BlacqueJacque says:

Bachmann plays like Rollie.

151. Rebilled says:

BACHMAN! BACHMAN!

152. jp says:

Fucking clutch save(s) by Bachman. Need that.

153. fuzzy muppet says:

Bachman for Mayor!!

154. D says:

OMG! The King’s feed just dropped the Bachman Turner in Overdrive tonight.

155. srisribillyg says:

Jimmy Fox just dropped a “Bachman Turner Overdrive”

(drinks)

156. SK Oiler Fan says:

DD and Hanna don’t have that kind of athletisism. Love the Bachman.

157. Romulus Apotheosis says:

holy shit a point!

Thank you Bachman!!

158. jp says:

Safe to say regardless how this ends Bachman has earned himself another game.

159. striatic says:

Damn Bachman battled for that one.

Hasek-like.

160. D says:

That point was almost entirely earned by Bachman.

161. srisribillyg says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Ha ha ha!

162. tcho says:

D,

I believe Hunter has dibs on this joke tonight. Sorry. Good effort.

163. fuzzy muppet says:

Labarbera has to be crapping his pants now. He may be minor league bound

164. mustang says:

That my friends is what a #1 looks like….keep it MR. BACHMAN

165. srisribillyg says:

Welcome… to the Richard Bachman era!

166. wheatnoil says:

Bachman just goes ahead and gifts the Oilers a point. Sweet Jesus this has been an intense game! Love it!

167. Henry says:

jp:
    Fucking clutch save(s) by Bachman. Need that.

I like the way Backmann looks around the screen. If he was Rollie, Kopitar would have a hurt testicle though.

168. srisribillyg says:

23 third period shots!

169. iHockeyWpg says:

Noticing that Gordon has been falling to his knees on just about every faceoff. Hey, as long as he keeps winning them.

170. 8p0intgame says:

To lighten the mood…

Why did the NHL implement hybrid icing?
    So players wouldn’t get Fedun’d.

What did Jordan Eberle say to the puck bunny?
    You’ve just been Eber-laid!

171. spoiler says:

Hardworking and persistent against a very frustrating physically strong team. Oilers full value for the point tonight, they battled all game long and kept the quality chances to a minimum.

Bachman calm cool and collected. Way calmer feet then the Sweeney Todd.

Kings shoot a ton from the outside. The Corsi is not telling us a true story. LA has been better but we have foght them all game.

Pretty good game for all the D except Junior. Especially like Belov and Smid. Senior for flattening Clifford too.

172. fuzzy muppet says:

You start OT with RYAN FUCKING JONES??? Eakins is dumb

173. striatic says:

BlacqueJacque: If I’m LaBarbera, I kiss the trainers who carried my equipment goodbye and enjoy my last few charter flights across the continent.

Bachman has had hot starts as an injury call-up before, and has cooled.

great to see that kind of goal-line effort though.

174. spoiler says:

Unbelievable.

175. boxman says:

ouch

176. Andy P says:

striatic: Bachman has had hot starts as an injury call-up before, and has cooled.

great to see that kind of goal-line effort though.

If nothing else he’s a better backup than Hanna.

177. jp says:

Shit. Belov injured it looks like. And the penalty…

178. stevezie says:

Eakins and I have the same facial expression.

179. In the Grease says:

Bachman ‘Tender Overdrive

180. SK Oiler Fan says:

You said it Eakins. J F C

181. striatic says:

I do wonder if smaller Goalies tend to look like they are battling, same as big players look like they aren’t putting in effort, and players with longer hair look like they are.

In Bachman’s case tonight, i think it’s legit.

182. srisribillyg says:

Whoops!

Cmon, the 10th Doctor, do better!

183. spoiler says:

fuzzy muppet: You start OT with RYAN FUCKING JONES??? Eakins is dumb

He bagged the top 2 lines at the end of the 3rd.

184. striatic says:

at least they got a point, when they probably shouldn’t have.

185. stevezie says:

wheatnoil: Don’t like how Eberle gets two chances for a shot in the slot and tries to deke both of them. He’s GOT to shoot on one of those.

Right? Reminds me of a young Hemsky who felt every goal had to make a highlight reel.

Hearts of lions tonight, boys. Fuck you hockey. I love this game. LOVE IT!

187. jake70 says:

3 on 3….should be fun.

188. spoiler says:

Please Gourd, Great Pumpkin in the sky, a ST goal for our guys.

189. boxman says:

Must learn to breathe watching this!

190. Aron_S says:

srisribillyg,

I’d like to thank you for the link as well. Potentially a noob question, but how do you eliminate the clear malware invite to updgrade to Windows 12.7? I can’t find a way to get this thing off the screen.

191. jp says:

93-14-19 for the 3 on 3 please.

192. srisribillyg says:

Three-on-three!

193. striatic says:

the was a hell of a save by BTO. looking through the screen on one side, catching on the other side. tracking the puck *around* the screen.

194. mustang says: