OILERS AT KINGS, G13, 13-14

When my kids were small and they were getting excited for Christmas, I’d tell them how many days and they’d say it seemed like forever. It was all worth it, because Christmas morning their excitement was the best thing about my year. I didn’t grow up with Christmas (Jehovah’s Witness) and so never felt that anticipation (although my parents were wonderful people and I certainly never felt unfortunate) or the joy of giving until the kids came along. I can still remember Christmas mornings with my wife and children, they are the best memories.

edm winter

The Oiler fanbase reminds me of my kids when they were young ones. Can’t wait for Christmas, impatient for the next day. We can see structure now, just not all of the time. We can see effective play, but we can also see a frightening save percentage. The club lacks balance–sweet, beautiful, balance–and until the day arrives when we can see they have enough in every area then these frustrating games will continue.

The current maladies are goaltending, the power play and the penalty kill. Fix those things and the goals for may dry up. When that’s fixed the tip drill skaters (question: how many goals against have come from Oiler players changing the direction of the puck? TEN? I bet it’s ten) will chime in again.

It’s frustrating, but it is not hopeless. There’s a difference.

grace kelly 22Oilers are in Los Angeles tonight, they have a tough opponent and really their only hope is that one of the kids catches fire and pops a hat-trick. I think the Nuge is the most likely candidate, Yakupov the least, but hockey doesn’t tell you when players break out, only that they will. Dubnyk could also do this 3-8-1 club an enormous favor by not allowing the sun to shine, but I’m hesitant to suggest it lest it goes the other way (plenty of daylight between the legs and over the shoulders).

cardinale3The Oilers have recalled Anton Lander, meaning the club will have 5 centermen in the lineup tonight (I thought this would be the opening night lineup). A quick look at the lines (this is my construction, actual lines may be different) shows 3 men who were supposed to be in Oklahoma City (they are underlined):

1. Nuge-Yakupov-Eberle
  2. Arcobello-Perron-Hemsky
  3. Gordon-Lander-Jones
  4. Acton-Gazdic-Eager

Eakins has enough penalty killers, finally. I don’t know how much offense he’ll get from the bottom 6F’s at evens, but a few guys like Gagner and Smyth must be close to returning.

The Oilers have also recalled Richard Bachman, something we talked about here. I think most of us are cheering like hell for the goaltending, and I don’t doubt that Devan Dubnyk will regain his form–but at this point the recall for Bachman tells me management is trying everything to cajole more from their current group. In a weird way, the Bachman recall is an endorsement of the current Oilers, a wakeup call that doesn’t involve sending part of the cluster away.

That comes next.

518 Responses to "OILERS AT KINGS, G13, 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. Andy P says:

mustang:
    You don’t have to be 6’8″ to be a good…..BACH-MAN….BACH-MAN

Just athletic.

2. jp says:

OK. Stats were not pretty, but this was a gutsy effort no? Against an elite team. I’m certainly not disappointed with the 1 or 2 points regardless.

BTO! I love it.

4. jake70 says:

Well, RNH wasn’t lost for a long period from that hit, ….. the point or 2 is bonus.

5. srisribillyg says:

Aron_S,

These “grey market” streams are a total crapshoot wrt quality, reliability, pop-ups, etc. The pop-ups can be pretty aggressive but eventually go away. Once they do, if you go to full-screen view they seem to stay away. But of course, YMMV!

6. jake70 says:

Yeah, and Eberle needs to get a shot off on those 2 plays.

7. striatic says:

Aron_S:
    srisribillyg,

I’d like to thank you for the link as well.Potentially a noob question, but how do you eliminate the clear malware invite to updgrade to Windows 12.7?I can’t find a way to get this thing off the screen.

have you tried turning it off and then back on again?

8. mustang says:

I don’t care what the out come is…I’m loving RICHARD BACHMAN….kinda like cujo no?

9. spoiler says:

Goaltending = Needful Things

10. srisribillyg says:

Luke Gazdic gets the winner in the 19th round, after Quick makes a miraculous save on LaBarbera.

11. gr8one says:

Some might say he’s taking care of business and into overtime.

12. PREDICKTER says:

WOW JSchultz, what a fucking pass, for a penalty. Should be the next guy in the upper box to see how hockey is played.

13. boxman says:

good try boys.

14. Ribs says:

Ah man, no Hemmer in the shootout? What the heck.

15. Gret99zky says:

Bachman deserved better after how he played.

The Oilers, not so much.

16. LMHF#1 says:

Terrible they couldn’t get a win for Bachman. Wrong choices in the SO from Eakins.

One thing you sure do notice – you have to be moving laterally to score on NHL goalies in the SO. If you’re going at them straight on, they’ll own you.

17. RMGS says:

Holy shit. What a performance.

That’s the hardest I’ve seen the Oilers play this season.

18. D says:

Bachman named second star. WOOHOO!

19. srisribillyg says:

Bachman second star; Quick first star (WTF!)

THE FIX IS IN!

20. striatic says:

a point.

LA is an excellent shootout team.

21. wheatnoil says:

The better team won but the Oilers came away with a point.

Now for the intriguing question… who starts against the Maple Leafs?

22. Nightman_ says:

Aron_S,

adblock works pretty well for that

23. Aron_S says:

srisribillyg,

Thanks gents. I noticed the full screen option made it disappear, but the quality faded, so I was curious. Much appreciated as I’ve been starving for some game action.

24. spoiler says:

Very nice game by the Oilers. Injury-decimated team played their hearts out on the road against ahealthy rested Cup Contender. Bachman was lights out and full of confidence. Belov, Petry and Smid looked great on the blue. The top 6 forwards had lots of try too and even Jones had a decent game.

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 27s

Final even strength shot attempts were 62-21 for the Kings. Oilers finish with a CF% of 25.3%. That’s the lowest I’ve tracked over 2 seasons

26. mustang says:

Barbie is going down to OKC, we now have a new tender in town folks, gave the boys a chance to win again and again and again, what more can you ask, what a performance…outstanding!!

wheatnoil:
    The better team won but the Oilers came away with a point.

Now for the intriguing question… who starts against the Maple Leafs?

Unless he falls out of the plane, Bachman.

28. Gret99zky says:

I start Bachman against Toronto.

He earned another start in the bigs.

29. Ribs says:

wheatnoil:
    The better team won but the Oilers came away with a point.

Now for the intriguing question… who starts against the Maple Leafs?

*whacks Dubnyk’s ankle with goalie stick*

Hold on….

*whacks LaBarbara’s ankle*

Bachman.

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Can’t believe we got a point. Getting to the shootout really should have levelled the field in our favor though. sucks that this team makes you greedy.

Bachman must have been thinking… “if only these shootouts could take place with a ton a traffic in front of my net and King kicking me in the junk, I’d have saved them all!”

31. Gret99zky says:

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 27s

whoa. boys vs. men.

32. mustang says:

spoiler:

33. TheOtherJohn says:

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 27s

34. Andy P says:

Dare I say that Bachman turned on his Overdrive.

35. Gret99zky says:

two seasons is a small sample size, no?

36. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Phil Kessel will ventilate Bachman.

Book it.

37. k-dawg says:

In Bach we trust!!

38. Ribs says:

Gordon with 31 faceoffs and comes out at 68%. He’s a beast. 2nd most faceoff wins in the league now.

39. Henry says:

I liked the try the first 2 periods from everyone. From Bachman through all three. He has to start the next two games. Competition is good.

TheOtherJohn: Does this mean a few days away from repeated comments about how strong our Corsi numbers are?

I don’t understand why people are so down on Corsi. It’s been around forever. The only thing that’s changed is we now break out game state and by individual. Crazy reaction from smart people.

41. mustang says:

LMHF#1:

42. RMGS says:

mustang: No it was am outstanding game by BACHMAN, we were totally out played, out classed, except for our goalie…good job RICHARD BACHMAN

I recommend you sober up, and watch the game again. The Oilers have not worked harder than they did tonight.

First of all, thank the Gords that RNH is ok. I saw the last spark of hope get snuffed when Clifford kneed him.

3rd in 4 nights and 2nd of back to back against one of the best in the league was guaranteed loss night.

Bachman stole them a point, would have been sweet to get 2. He earned the next start.

Shitty 1 game at home essentially made this a 17 day 9 game road trip.

TOR on Tuesday then a much needed 3 day break, DET on Saturday and off on a 4 game 7 day NFR road trip.

Gagner might be back by DET game, one week closer to getting Hall and Joensuu back, Smyth might be healthy, might have a goalie…..

I liked Lander tonight. Still a slow skater, but battled hard and got into it with the Kings, which this team sorely needs with Joensuu and Pitlick on the shelf.

Time to breath, its going to get better from here.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

One consistent little problem I noticed was that we often would win a faceoff clean and lose the battle when our wingers got challenged.

We need to work on that… of course, having a modest number of regular players back would help.

45. wheatnoil says:

Lowetide: Unless he falls out of the plane, Bachman.

Ribs: *whacks Dubnyk’s ankle with goalie stick*

Hold on….

*whacks LaBarbara’s ankle*

Bachman.

Gret99zky:
    I start Bachman against Toronto.

He earned another start in the bigs.

So… no consensus on who to start then? :)

46. Zack says:

“Number one” goalie goes down.

Labarbera is the new Ty Conklin.

Bachman is the new Jussi Markkanen.

I’m still living in ’06.

47. spoiler says:

You can`t put it all on Bachman. We were on a road back to back and matched their effort and battle, kept most of their shots to the outside, limited 5 bell chances, and did it with an injury-depleted line up. Yes we got great goaltending, as I state. Quick wasn`t too shabby either. They all deserve a pat on the back. A lot of heart was bled out there to wring this point out of the Kings in a very difficult game.

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Of interest… despite having a brutal number like all the rest… Belov still comes out looking pretty good (by horrible comparison).

I’m tired and going to bed so I’m not going to scroll the thread, but I hope there was much consternation, weeping and gnashing of teeth when J.Shultz lazily threw the puck into the bench area when everyone was changing.

That kid makes some piss poor decisions and needs to play with a big more urgency in his own zone.

He moseys too much.

Lollygags too.

Lollygagger.

50. Andy P says:

RMGS: I recommend you sober up, and watch the game again.The Oilers have not worked harder than they did tonight.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: The schedule maker needs to be visited by hired goons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKSnRkARktk

I love how he opens the door mouthing “hired goons?”

Oh Al Jean and co. thank you.

52. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy:

I liked Lander tonight.Still a slow skater, but battled hard and got into it with the Kings, which this team sorely needs with Joensuu and Pitlick on the shelf.

I agree. I saw Lander good tonight as well. I thought he got in on the forecheck relatively quickly despite his speed and he does well in the corners. Plus, he can contribute to the cycle in the offensive zone and doesn’t back down from anyone. I remember last year he seemed to consistently get under the skin of the opposition too.

Room for him on my fourth line any day of the week. Acton-Lander-Jones is a 4th line I can get behind once a couple people come back from the Oiler-ward at University Hospital.

Zack:
    “Number one” goalie goes down.

Labarbera is the new Ty Conklin.

Bachman is the new Jussi Markkanen.

I’m still living in ’06.

I am too. I can’t stop. Seriously.

54. mustang says:

55. LMHF#1 says:

mustang: JC man give it a break, yes it’s to bad we couldn’t get the win for Bachman, wrong choices common man get fucking real

It wouldn’t have guaranteed a win, but the SO choices were wrong either way.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:

He moseys too much.

Lollygags too.

Lollygagger.

lolly! loooolly! laaally! damn your eyes lollygagger!

57. RMGS says:

Lowetide: This was a victory of large proportion, but it doesn’t take away from the Corsi progress.

LT, it’s just that the team’s Corsi numbers in context are not very good – even compared to last year at the same point. The “Corsi progress” narrative is not supported by the numbers.

That said, if the team continues to play balls out like it did tonight, they have nowhere to go but up.

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

It’s worth noting Lander was a team worst 13% CF.

RMGS: LT, it’s just that the team’s Corsi numbers in context are not very good – even compared to last year at the same point.The “Corsi progress” narrative is not supported by the numbers.

Context. Yes. Let’s do that.

60. RMGS says:

mustang: I didn’t say they didn’t work hard, they did, but it wasn’t close if Bachman didn’t put the performance in that he did. Maybe you should watch the the game again

You’re damn right I’m watching that game again. Best performance by the team (which includes the goalie) this season! :)

61. mustang says:

LMHF#1: It wouldn’t have guaranteed a win, but the SO choices were wrong either way.

Whatever man hindsight is 20/20

62. wheatnoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    It’s worth noting Lander was a team worst 13% CF.

Fair enough. Still liked his game but it’s worth keeping an eye on.

As I look at the stats, here’s an amazing one. The Oilers had SIX players who didn’t have a single offensive zone faceoff in this game!

Edit: And Boyd Gordon had 91.3% of his face-offs in the defensive zone! The guy should just buy a house by the left face-off dot.

63. Nuckout says:

Welcome to the Oilers, Mr. Bachman. This kid exudes a ton of confidence in himself, and standing strong for 60 minutes, facing 47 shots is no small feat. Shades of Cujo all over the place.

Schultz on the other hand, zero hustle. Tries to be mr. cool in the defensive zone, and gets rooked every time. Eakins will send a message if he HS’s JSchultz for 1-2 games.

Boyd Gordon and Perron were clearly the 2 most important moves they have done this year. Arcobello was a pleasant surprise.

64. elpolodiablo says:

it’s because they keep on losing, it’s as simple as that. Also this coach is forcing a system that is not working so I’d rather have the coach fired before a large trade is made, or his system starts working in terms of wins. Not corsi or any other metric. Coaches are graded by wins and player development. This coach is doing neither so far

65. Logan91 says:

Agreed! I saw a ton of great defensive plays, and for once everyone stayed in position. Thing i liked the most is how they played like a TEAM, from the unselfish plays, to Jones and Gadzic sticking up for team mates.

Bachman deserved that win though. IMO the corsi doesn’t mean a thing. They had a garbage corsi tonight and almost squeezed out the win, and other nights the corsi has been high and they’ve come no where close to winning.

Great game overall, it was very fun to watch. Hopefully they carry over the momentum for the Toronto game. Tonight was nothing to be ashamed of!

66. mustang says:

LMHF#1:

I’m a MacT/Eakins supporter, I believe they have this team going in the right direction, I’m not going to second guess something as trivial as Eberle/Perron/Hopkins in the shootout, go with your best and I think these guys have been. I see no problem here

67. RMGS says:

Lowetide: People keep talking about context. Can we agree that ‘road Corsi’ and ‘home Corsi’ are going to be different? And that–while the Oilers have been a road team this year–other clubs are playing more home games?

Context. Yes. Let’s do that.

Home/away splits are certainly part of the context… as is your opponent’s conference. I’m all in if we’re saying the team looks better and is improving. But, using cumulative Corsi to make that argument just doesn’t fly… yet.

elpolodiablo:

The idea this season was to have fewer nights of being outshot like they were this evening. And that has been the case. Over the long haul, allowing fewer shots (closer to 50% shots for-against) at even strength pays off–that’s the appeal of the stat.

It’s not a threat to anything, it’s a tool. I don’t understand how anyone can use Corsi AGAINST Eakins. Seriously.

69. jp says:

Lowetide: No. The Oilers were on the back half of a btb, injuries everywhere and playing the actual vaunt. What the hell did anyone expect? The point was well earned by men. This was a victory of large proportion, but it doesn’t take away from the Corsi progress.

spoiler: You can`t put it all on Bachman.We were on a road back to back and matched their effort and battle, kept most of their shots to the outside, limited 5 bell chances, and did it with an injury-depleted line up.Yes we got great goaltending, as I state. Quick wasn`t too shabby either. They all deserve a pat on the back. A lot of heart was bled out there to wring this point out of the Kings in a very difficult game.

Huge and timely effort from Bachman, but the team as a whole had a good game, regardless what the numbers say. The corsi tonight was worse than the Van blowout. Does anyone who watched those 2 games disagree that the Oilers tonight were a completely and totally different team?

70. LMHF#1 says:

mustang: Whatever man hindsight is 20/20

71. mustang says:

LMHF#1: Nothing to do with hindsight. There is a group on this team that is known to be strong in the SO. You pick them unless there’s something completely out of whack.

Ok coach, I guess thats why they pay you the big bucks!!

72. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909: PS: @”Steve Smith”: please stop lurking and post something, anything.

Not lurking – in jail. I very seldom lurk, actually; when I’m around one of these things in real time, I generally post my every thought (I have about two thoughts per hour, typically).

73. Hammers says:

1 point more than I expected but mainly due to Bachman not team play . Basically we got beat in every category . This is going to be the Longest Day ( I mean year) .

Romulus Apotheosis:
    It’s worth noting Lander was a team worst 13% CF.

One should always look at statistics contextually.

75. gcw_rocks says:

Gret99zky,

Yeah, if the Oilers were a cap team, that would look really bad. Oh, wait….

76. G Money says:

jp: That’s what I saw too. Beaten by a better team, but they fought harder than any other game this year. Very difficult circumstances (for many reasons), but they were better than the corsi suggests.

Like others, I admire the battle level and the never say die attitude, even as they were outclassed all over the ice (including by the refs – BAU).

This was a nice little bit of regression in terms of goaltending and play – this team will be a .500ish team by the end of the year, and it’s a lovely random effect that you lose some games you dominate because of bad goaltending, and you win (or get a point) out of games you were dominated in because of terrific goaltending.

And speaking of random effects – let’s stop anointing Bachman as the new Hasek. ONE GAME, FFS.

77. TheOtherJohn says:

Fortunately we have 4 games against SJS, Ana & Calgary (thank god) & 3 more against Vancouver, LAK & Phx hopefully our possession numbers continue to improve

78. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: It’s been discussed. saw him bad. Grebs and Potter are both here. Let him enjoy watching his old line mate play D from the box for a night.
    lolly! loooolly! laaally! damn your eyes lollygagger!

Yup. Schultz Jr needs to sit a game or two. All world offensive talent is wasted if you’re lackadaisical and careless in your own zone.

I quite liked N Schultz’s game tonight. Seemed to be less of a sieve than usual, and the hit on Clifford was outstanding.

79. Gret99zky says:

Andy P: This effort with Hall, Gags, Smyth and Joensuu back in the lineup with BTO in net beats teams like LA and definetly PHX, Jets, TO, etc.

hahaha.

yup. you sell that hope man. sell it.

never about what is, always about what will be.

Trademark Oilers Tonic.

It all comes down to waiting for next year. Doesn’t it?

80. wheatnoil says:

Gagner – 42% (8 for 19) – injured
    Eberle – 42% (10 for 24) – shot tonight
    Hemsky – 33% (4 for 12) – did not shoot tonight
    RNH – 33% (2 for 6) – shot tonight
    Perron – 30% (3 for 10, including St. Louis) – shot tonight
    Omark – 29% (2 for 7) – in AHL
    Hall – 27% (3 for 11) – injured
    Horcoff – 25% (1 for 4) – not on team

81. G Money says:

Two of my sales guys are huge Leafs fans (yeah, I know, I should fire them just for that) … actually, it works well because they both have seasons tickets to the Flames and are happy to let me buy their Oiler tickets. We were discussing heading up to the old ‘Chuk for the Oil-Laffs tilt on Tuesday, but I’m assuming the chance of getting tickets for that is pretty miniscule. Opinions?

82. spoiler says:

G Money: Actually, I think the Corsi was pretty fair in this game. A depleted lineup four AHL callups deep, playing second of back to backs on the road and third in four games against a rested contender – a shit kicking was to be expected (or “guaranteed loss” night as they say).

We rarely disagree, but I do here. The Kings were firing the puck from everywhere. Don`t get me wrong, they were the better team and had more of the possession, but they were shooting from distance, which I am sure is the book on Oiler goaltending. This is borne out by the average distance of Fenwick events from TBOTB site, which was substantially greater for the Kings at over 40 feet.

83. mustang says:

G Money:

And speaking of random effects – let’s stop anointing Bachman as the new Hasek.ONE GAME, FFS.

84. spoiler says:

wheatnoil: What are you talking about? Who are these players? I imagine one of them is Ales Hemsky, but other than him, who are these other shooters?From NHL.com, here are the cumulative shootout percentages for the Oilers from the 2010-11 season to present time (prior to this game):Gagner – 42% (8 for 19) – injuredEberle – 42% (10 for 24) – shot tonightHemsky – 33% (4 for 12) – did not shoot tonightRNH – 33% (2 for 6) – shot tonightOmark – 29% (2 for 7) – in AHLHall – 27% (3 for 11) – injuredHorcoff – 25% (1 for 4) – not on teamSmyth, Belanger, Lander, Hartikainen, Foster, Jones, Paajarvi, Brule, Fraser, Giroux, Cogliano, and Penner – 0%With Gagner injured, the top 3 shooters since 2010-11 are Eberle, Hemsky, RNH. Eakins put in Perron for Hemsky. Perron has shot 30% over the last 3 years (comparable to Hemsky) and scored in his only shootout attempt so far this year.Perron – 30% (3 for 10)So, who are the members of this elite shootout shooting group that Eakins didn’t choose? I’ll accept Hemsky as an option, but Perron’s not a bad one either. Who else?

Komrade Horcoff… Methinks his numbers look wrong.

85. G Money says:

spoiler: We rarely disagree, but I do here.The Kings were firing the puck from everywhere. Don`t get me wrong, they were the better team and had more of the possession, but they were shooting from distance, which I am sure is the book on Oiler goaltending.This is borne out by the average distance of Fenwick events from TBOTB site, which was substantially greater for the Kings at over 40 feet.

Oh, no question about that, it’s the same playbook that the Sens used (I made exactly that point earlier in this thread!). I also pointed out earlier that after two periods, Bachman was solid but didn’t have to be brilliant very often, which was another testament to the long distance shooting gallery.

That said, I thought in the Sens game that the shots/Corsi were way in favour of the Sens, but the actual balance of play was not. And in fact, the CoH scoring chances project rated that game as 17-14 chances in favour of the Oilers. Which means that particular win, despite the misleading Corsi, was not a particularly unfair result.

I think tonight though, even as there were a lot of shots from a long distance, the chance battle was also way in favour of the Kings. So for that reason, yeah the Corsi might be a bit inflated in the Kings favour, but overall its not a bad reflection of how the game went, and getting a point was a very lucky (and entirely goaltending driven) result.

86. Colonel Obvious says:

elpolodiablo:

That’s right. The Kings have one of the best goalies in the league. Two defensemen better than anyone on the OIlers (Doughtly and Voynov) plus depth all the way through the blueline, two forwards miles better than anyone on the Oilers (Kopitar and Carter) plus three deep scoring lines, while the Oilers have a third line composed of Ryan Jones and Anton Lander and a lineup half full of guys who would pass through waivers and you think the problem is the Coach and his “system,” a system which, by the way, you know absolutely nothing about.

The Kings are obviously a much better team than the Oilers, one of the top four teams in the league. They aren’t better because they have a better system, they are better because they have much better players. That’s what happens when you have a general manager that doesn’t add any good players for four years.

87. wheatnoil says:

spoiler: Komrade Horcoff… Methinks his numbers look wrong.

88. G Money says:

mustang: Yes, Hasek he isn’t but a Hasek like performance he did put in, I’m cheering for the goaltending to get it together and tonight, for one night, it looked good. That can not be denied.

I do not disagree a bit. This game was won by Bachman. And he’s earned himself another start. What I’m disagreeing with is the rather ludicrous comments about his performance as if it is anything but a one-off. “Shades of Cujo all over the place” “we now have a new tender in town folks” (that was yours) And a bunch more anointing him the new starter and sending Barbie to the minors. One. game.

89. mustang says:

Ok, anybody else wanna come at me? Kind of sad when you can’t be happy for our goaltending, so be it, one game it is and I will be happy with the performance tonight…cheers

90. spoiler says:

wheatnoil: I thought it would be higher, but he didn’t take a shootout shot all last season, took three the season before, and only one in 2010-11. I think he had more shootout attempts in previous seasons, but it’s late and I was adding these up by hand, so I only went back that far. Besides, aside from Hemsky, there’s basically no one else on the team from four years ago!

Ahh gotchya, thanks for the clarification.

91. mustang says:

G Money: I do not disagree a bit. This game was won by Bachman. And he’s earned himself another start. What I’m disagreeing with is the rather ludicrous comments about his performance as if it is anything but a one-off.“Shades of Cujo all over the place” “we now have a new tender in town folks” (that was yours) And a bunch more anointing him the new starter and sending Barbie to the minors.One. game.

Yes, one game, and it was a gooder and I’m not sorry for that, I’m going to be happy tonight because tonight it actually looked like a goaltending performance to me. Hasek he isn’t, but tonight he looked damn good and pretty sure it won’t last but I’m going to enjoy it regardless.

92. gcw_rocks says:

So, Oilers sitting as the third worst team in the NHL in overall CF% after tonight. 3rd worst 5×5. 16th 5×4. 22nd 4×5. and 3rd worst on 5×5 close. And they have a PDO over 100

Yes, they have played a lot of road games, but man that’s really bad.

93. G Money says:

mustang:

“Come at me bro!” http://img.pandawhale.com/44005-come-at-me-bro-penguins-gif-BUym.gif

Geez man, don’t be so sensitive. I thought our goaltending was outstanding tonight, and I said so, and I haven’t read anyone say anything but.

The point is – let’s not go overboard on what it means. One outstanding game from a goalie. He was a .901 NHL goalie before tonight, he’s a .905 goalie after. That’s it. This game says *nothing* about how he’ll perform in the next game, let alone the next ten. Perspective, my fine muscle car friend, perspective.

94. Suntory Hanzo says:

spoiler:
    Goaltending = Needful Things

well played!

95. FPB94 says:

Looks like Richard Bachman gave this blog a collective orgasm.

96. jp says:

wheatnoil,

spoiler: Komrade Horcoff… Methinks his numbers look wrong.

This is quite disturbing. My mind does not want to accept that the beautiful if short-lived run of shootout greatness by Our Captain occurred more than 3 years ago. I guess the blur of Oilers failures, life events and age are obscuring my recollection…. Not cool at all, and at least a little sad. On so many levels.

97. Zelepukin says:

For me the biggest takeaway from this game was Belov is our best d-man. He brings everything we need in a d-man. Makes smart coverage plays, can pass, heavy shot, plays the body, isn’t slow as shit and not afraid to play a bit dirty.

98. jp says:

FPB94:
    Looks like Richard Bachman gave this blog a collective orgasm.

We were pretty pent up.

99. spoiler says:

Bachman can`t be consistently this good or he wouldn`t thave been on this career path. I will take it while in lasts. Maybe the AHL was a wake-up call and a learning experience and he can handle being a 1B and maintain that confident sure play.

Here`s his scouting report from THN and tell me if this sounds dead on:

Assets:

Is a confident ‘keeper that proved his worth at the collegiate level. Has good reflexes and recuperative ability. Can step into the limelight and perform, when asked.

The trade…

That`s a gutsy trade by NYI. An overpay, but within the conference so partly understandable. They will push hard to re-sign Vanek and should be successful if he enjoys his time alongside Tavares. He will put seats in the seats too.

As pointed out on TH2N, Buffalo could easily get another quality pick for Moulson at the deadline.

100. Suntory Hanzo says:

Woodguy,

read on my way back from DC that a Scalawag is a term,”Negative term given to southerners who cooperated with the reconstruction plan of the radical Reblicans”

101. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: This will go down as a complete out-classing where we scratched and clawed and made a new best friend. Here’s the keys to the house Bachman, beer’s in the fridge.

“We hoped for the best … and it didn’t turn out like always?!?!”

102. Gi JQE says:

Colonel Obvious,

I will admit I was questioning the system as well. But will admit it appears fine now. Don’t know if adjustments were made or players are finally getting it… But they seem in position and pressuring the puck better without leaving gaping holes in the d zone.

Bachman looked good. Keep the shite to the outside and they can have fouty shots… Just not in the slot. Yak needs to play la every night!

103. Gi JQE says:

Sorry CO comment wasn’t ment to be directed at you.

104. spoiler says:

Actually the more I look at Bachman the more I think this was a smart acquisition by MacT.

26 years old. Born in UT so can hang out with Yak.

Went into last year with no play in the off-season and 15 entire NHL decisions notched on his belt and was forced into the starting role early when Lehtonen went down to injury. He played his ass off in the first game and then suffered through 4 games of very bad play.

He turned it around a bit was still sent down 7 games in.. Played well again in the A and was called up a month later when Lehtonen went down again. Was named NHL 3rd star after a stellar string of three games. Was stung a little by Detroit and Chitown at the end of the season, but in general did better.

Dallas gave up on him, maybe a bit early and due to his size, but this guy might have some upside. He`s not Khudobin but he`s a reasonable bet. His NHL career .906 comes on only his first 33 appearances.

He has a better than 920 save percentage in 84 AHL games spread over five seasons.

I wouldn`t be surprised if Bachman survives to next season and Doobie doesn`t… when the Oil spring for a UFA name goalie.

105. spoiler says:

per TSN:

The Kings’ shot total was their highest since April 10, 2010, when they had 55 against the Oilers’ Devan Dubnyk in a 4-3 shootout loss at Los Angeles.

Improvement!!!

—–

Also Eberle is the only player to score on Quick in a shootout this season (11 attempts).

106. HiddenDarts says:

I was at the game, sitting about 10 feet up from Bob Stauffer, and 15 feet from the Sportsnet guys.

I thought Bachman played a good game. But not a fantastic one. Outside of that one crazy chance where Kopitar got like 3 shots on him and he snow angel’d (which was fantastic), most of the shots were of the type that if he didn’t save them, we’d be begging for LaBarbera.

A better than average night, and no softies. This is what it looks like friends – no more and no less.

He has earned another start for sure, but a messiah he ain’t!

And the Oilers were dominated. They definitely didn’t deserve that point.

107. elpolodiablo says:

Again if they continue losing and they are allowing fewer shots it doesn’t matter. They are 7 points out of a playoff start and the season has barely started. Unless there are more wins, and the total of Yakupov, Hall, Hopkins, Eberle, and Shultz have better offensive years than the year prior, Eakins is a failure. Looking at individual metrics is irrelevant when these are the ultimate outcomes that are to be achieved

G Money:
    Two of my sales guys are huge Leafs fans (yeah, I know, I should fire them just for that) … actually, it works well because they both have seasons tickets to the Flames and are happy to let me buy their Oiler tickets.We were discussing heading up to the old ‘Chuk for the Oil-Laffs tilt on Tuesday, but I’m assuming the chance of getting tickets for that is pretty miniscule.Opinions?

Pretty stark, no doubt. If I hear anything, I’ll let you know.

elpolodiablo:

There’s a lot in this post I disagree with, but don’t have time. Suffice to say that if we’re working on a building, and we fix the roof, that doesn’t mean it has no value. We still have to take care of the water damage, but the roof is fixed so we can build on that and improve overall.

110. srisribillyg says:

G Money,

If you are willing to pay a premium, I think there are usually tickets available at StubHub.

111. theres oil in virginia says:

HiddenDarts:
    He has earned another start for sure, but a messiah he ain’t!
    And the Oilers were dominated. They definitely didn’t deserve that point.

Next to this:

, he looks like this:

112. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10: According to extraskater, 75% defensive zone starts, 25% neutral zone starts, 0% offensive zone starts.

One should always look at statistics contextually.

Thanks for the primer on context. In the same vein, it is generally a good idea to read comments in context.

113. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia: , he looks like this:

I don’t know… all that bronzer is kind of disturbing ;)

114. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I don’t know… all that bronzer is kind of disturbing

Ha! There’s definitely room for improvement. (For goalie and for supermodel. Supermodels are so thin. Weird culture. Personally, I’d say you’d be hard pressed to improve on LT’s Linda pic above.)

115. rickithebear says:

Christ how good is Belov?
    Even in his last 12 games.
    justin schultz was -8 in 9 games.
    Playing with belov even in 4 games.
    #1 dman in KHL you say!

116. LMHF#1 says:

Gagner – 42% (8 for 19) – injured
    Eberle – 42% (10 for 24) – shot tonight
    Hemsky – 33% (4 for 12) – did not shoot tonight
    RNH – 33% (2 for 6) – shot tonight
    Perron – 30% (3 for 10, including St. Louis) – shot tonight
    Omark – 29% (2 for 7) – in AHL
    Hall – 27% (3 for 11) – injured
    Horcoff – 25% (1 for 4) – not on team

Missed this last night. Hemsky and Yakupov were the missing shooters, no?

117. Zipdot says:

Man, Wheatnoil owned LMHF so hard with that post…. Thanks for the info, Wheat.

« Older Comments