OILERS AT PENGUINS G7, 13-14

As bad as it was, they still won the chance battle (Dennis King 17-13) and the Corsi 5×5 close (25-24). Looking for down arrows? A full quiver awaits.

Azorcan3

THE POSITIVES

• Eakins: Post-game media avail was very good. He felt things were fine until that sequence in the second period where Laddy brought the puck back into the zone (he didn’t mention Smid by name) and things went haywire for a couple of minutes. He made mention about the lack of chances against up to that point, and did not lay blame on the Nuge for an “unfortunate pass” (his words) that resulted in a turnover and the first goal.
  • Jeff Petry: I think he’s emerging as a quality NHL defenseman, and if Smid can get back to health (or stop listening to the dog whistles) that will help a great deal.
  • Boyd Gordon: Really like him. Not just the goals but the intelligent play.
  • David Perron: Man, I know he was uneven but great skill and try and he’s a prick to opponents. Love this guy.

THE NEGATIVES

• Eakins: I thought he played the 4line way too much in the third period. This Oiler team is so dangerous, but I guess he felt there’s a game tomorrow night and he wanted his horses for that one.
  • Ladislav Smid: He had a tough night by eye and number. He might be hurt, but that’s a guess.
  • Penalty kill: Blech. Sorry if I’m being too technical.

I’m not going to blame the goalie and I’m not going to blame the top line–they had a nice start but the wheels fell off and the engine blew. It happens. Onward to Pittsburgh and the Department of the Monongahela.

bs22

Dallas Eakins healthy scratching of Nail Yakupov doesn’t look good this morning. I’m reminded of Whitey Herzog, who used to get into all kinds of trouble by double switching in crazy ways. I remember at least a couple of times he’d move his closer (right hander, Todd Worrell) to RF and then bring in a lefty to pitch to a LH bat. Then he’d double switch again to get Worrell back on the mound.

When it works, it looks good. When it doesn’t, it looks like a crazy person has taken the wheel. I don’t think Dallas Eakins is crazy, but he’s looking a little stubborn today. HSing Nail Yakupov has been a big story–and maybe that’s the plan, take away from the falling won-loss record–but now you’re left with either bringing him back tonight against Pittsburgh or letting a #1 overall pick who led your team in scoring last year rot on the vine.

Dallas Eakins has a long term contract and job security.  Why is he using his goodwill in such a curious manner? Don’t know. I’m not the coach, and he must have his reasons (one of which is getting people to be aware of the game outside of the fun moments). As an attention getter, it seems to have worked and I’d bet Nail gets in before the end of the road trip. If he struggles, Eakins has to pull him out of the lineup again–I don’t think he can turn back now. Buying in is the only possible solution to this issue.

The season is not lost–far from it–and he’s going to need that electric talent somewhere along the way. One hopes that Smyth or Joensuu can spend the night on the 4line and Yakupov can draw in with Gordon and Perron (as a guess). If not tonight, then you’d have to wonder about Thursday as being an option. After that, I wouldn’t even guess what the plan is for Yakupov.

bs23

Ladislav Smid had a tough night, I wonder if he’s hurt. Certainly his trad D partner has played well (Petry) but Laddy is going the wrong way. This is a good soldier, a guy who has grown up and gone through the tough years. He and Devan Dubnyk are having a bit of a tough time, hope things turn around for them soon.

bs24

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

10 this morning, tsn 1260. It will be HEAVY on Oiler talk and not pleasant.

• Tyler Dellow from mc79 hockey. Dubnyk’s season (so far) and when it will turn around, Oilers on the road, Saturday Splatterday in Toronto.
  • Rob Vollman from ESPN and Hockey Prospectus. We’ll talk Taylor Hall and the Vollman Sledgehammer is back!
  • Patricia Teter from Artful Puck. Patricia saw the team on the road this weekend, we’ll find out how the prospects looked.
  • Travis Yost from Hockeybuzz. Ottawa Senators are starting slowly. Why?
  • Corey Graham, pbp man for the Edmonton Oil Kings on TSN 1260. Oil Kings may be turning a corner.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide on twitter. Hold on!

tracy lane

Fussy britches was right on Messier and the entire July 1, 2011 free agent day, so I’m curious about this one. Glenn Anderson? Grant Fuhr? I’d love it to be Lee Fogolin but something happened back there and we’ll never know what it is, I guess. I always thought Mark Lamb would end up here, but mid-season? Andy Moog? If it was Charlie Huddy I’d go mad with happiness.

Britches also says the Blues are willing to donate Brian Elliot (the Bay City Rollers of NHL goalies) for Tyler Pitlick, but you’d think if MacT wanted Elliot and that was the price it would be in the paper under transaction. Smid to Philly was also mentioned by Tracy.

ANGER MANAGEMENT

I feel like one of the ‘friends of Marsellus Wallace’ this morning. I’m in my 50′s now, you’d think getting mad at a hockey game would be something to leave behind along the way. I’m a fan, I can turn the channel or walk out of the arena any time I want to, and yet I’m sitting here like an idiot waiting for a trade.

Godspeed Craig MacTavish and Dallas Eakins too. I know you’re smart men, but this is one helluva mess we’re looking at this morning. And the hockey Gods? They’re sending you to Sidney Crosby as a special ‘kick in the nuts’ bonus.

I hope they got some sleep, and sincerely hope they do the right thing.

Whatever the hell that is.

UPDATE: LINES (4:45p)

• Arcobello-Hall-Eberle
  • RNH-Perron-Yakupov
  • Gordon-Smyth-Hemsky
  • Acton-Jones-Brown

Knock em dead, Yakupov.

415 Responses to "OILERS AT PENGUINS G7, 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. delooper says:

It’s the start of the season with a new coach and a giant turnover in players. Expecting to win 50% of the games this early is lunacy. They’ll get things sorted out. I don’t think there’s a reason for this much anxiety so early.

2. Henry says:

One thing I noticed surrounding the Yak scratching is that Perron seems to be more effective as a left wing than as a right with Jonesuu on the left.

Bringing Yak back could have a synergistic effect.

Eberle was very good yesterday to my eye. Seems to be determined.

Why does Smid get the blame on that play, and not Hemsky?

Hemsky was not providing Smid a pass option, and the fact that he was skating directly towards Smid gave no place for Smid to skate forward. Smid’s only other options were backing up or a slow dump into the opposition end (which might have been picked off by the Capitals in the centre ice zone).

So he maintained possession and moved backwards. But Hall and Hemsky had their heads up their a’s that 4×4.

4. HiddenDarts says:

I’m probably going to bang on about this until I’m blue in the face, but we’re not yet 10 games in!!

I know 1-8-1 is still a possibility, but I do feel like this team is miles from previous teams.

Once Gagner comes back and we dump the facepunchers, I see 3 scoring lines, for God’s Sake!

Have a little faith, LT!

Gordon is taking heavy D-zone starts. You can’t play Yak with him.

Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Eberle would saw off or destroy the best the opposition could throw at them last year in Corsi.

Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Hemsky were at 40% Corsi last night.

I think that means that Gagner may not have been the problem last year.

6. slopitch says:

I PVR’d the game and watched it late. Your right its very frustrating. Oilers need improved D and G, that will ripple into the PK. I have my doubts Smid and Dubnyk last till xmas.

As for the team, I don’t expect a win against Crosby/Malkin and co but the team is facing some bad luck. The PDO of the top line is insanely due to regress (in a good way).

7. russ99 says:

If there ever was a team that proves that Corsi isn’t the bible, it’s this one. Quality of shots for and shots against disprove any perceived advantages.

IMO, the real problem is in all three zones, and the extra work, physical battles and extra ice time during the players’ shifts. Due to this they are unable to make the right play at the right time both on offense and on defense.

Defensive zone: “hit someone every shift”, and constant skating to put pressure on the puck carrier

Neutral zone: making extra passes like a hot potato, leading eventually to a dump, which is beyond idiotic.

Offensive zone, after the inevitable dump, work, battle and cycle around the boards, and get clobbered taking shots in traffic. Open ice needed to create quality shots is non-existent.

We don’t have three offensive lines, we have three lines with 2 offensive players and one who doesn’t fit, and they’re all being played like a shutdown line, which is the real missing ingredient, that would allow out skill lines to play with skill.

Who knows, maybe it will work out given enough time, but until then the coaching staff has to adjust and find something that will make it easier on these guys to make the right play at the right time.

And if not, that smacks of typical Oilers “smartest guy in the room” management,

8. slopitch says:

93-4-14
    26-57-64
    27-94-83
    41-6-20
    Although maybe its best to wait a game before re-uniting 93-4-14… 87 might make it look like a bad plan ;)

Eakin’s philosophy of running around hitting things and look like you are working hard and competing fits with MacT’s philosophy of Toby Peterson and Liam Reddox over Dustin Penner.

Chickens with their heads chopped off also look like they are running around hitting things and working hard and competing.

10. delooper says:

godot10:

11. Cobbler says:

The Vollman for the Oilers is much improved from last year and the ZS data suggests they are pushing the puck in the right direction as they are for the most part getting the face-off in the opposing zone.

The 4 line is again an elevator shaft from a Corsi perspective and have a total of 6 shots over 6 games (Gazdic-Acton-Brown) but are a combined + 3. So basically “at best they are a non-factor”.

The top players are generating lots of positive corsi and scoring chances but the shot percentages for Perron, Hall, Eberle are all below average and the number of top end players carrying large minuses (e.g. -9 for RNH, -7 for Hall) is a little bit terrifying.

So statistically the team is performing well and getting shots, chances and controlling the play, but are getting blown out on the score sheet.

Problems: Goaltenders playing poorly and not anticipating the play. Skilled players getting exposed on routine plays or carrying greater defensive liabilities this season?

To me this smells of a team getting familiar/comfortable with a new system, and they are getting exposed in acute fashion when they lose there way. That 3 minute segment Eakins referred to. They just got rattled by an aggressive Wash press and lost their way.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“if Smid can get back to health (or stop listening to the dog whistles) that will help a great deal.”

I didn’t realize they made dog whistles that send you awkwardly back into your house, while courting danger.

delooper: That critique would be compelling if people like Acton and Gordon had the worst plus-minus, but that stat belongs to the “skill” guys on the team: Hall, Hemsky, RNH, and Justin Schultz. The only skill guy holding his own is Eberle.

You still have to consider quality of competition and PDO. The actual Corsi ON number for the forwards is downright encouraging. If they could get a freaking SAVE and do something about the PK, this would have been a better start.

14. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

That caught my eye as well – but my thoughts immediately turned to where I can buy one for teenagers

15. HugThePost says:

Since the 90′s, it’s been the same shitshow carousel of a team with all of this negative drama.

The post-Conn Smythe Ranford who glared at his defencemen after another soft goal, never taking responsibility for actually having to stop a puck once in a while.
    George Burnett
    The cancer that was Shayne Corson.
    Jason Arnott venturing into parenthood and then just not being ‘into it’ when the puck dropped.
    The first edition of Mike Comrie and his inglorious exit.
    Pronger.
    Souray’s mis-handled health.
    And now Yak sitting so that Mike Brown can play.

I guess all of the above is tolerable if the team is winning, but alas, they do not, cannot, and probably will not. The drama is always on a backdrop of the same slop that hits the ice, regardless of the coaches, regardless of the players (be it a ECHL cast-off that is affordable or a blue-chip draft pick), regardless of the training staff:

Horrid horrid team defence (ie. no semblance of a plan in their own zone past praying).
    Players en masse going into slumps.
    Defencemen who cannnot play defence.
    Goalies who crap the bed.

We always just have enough of the above happening to be the dregs of the league. But wait! We are winning the Corsi battles!

What bullshit.

Anyways, thanks for allowing me to rant. It’s the end of a great long weekend and I’m back at work, and the Oilers are still just wandering the desert, as they have been since 1991.

Thanks all posters! Have a great week guys.

16. jake70 says:

Just caught the stat guy on TH on tsn. Apparently Hemsky leads the league in 15 goals against while he is on the ice. Contextualize it all you want, not good. Running the top guys in mid-20s minutes is not sustainable is it? Hall looks tired on some shifts mid-way through.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m going to sit back, dig deep into my morning coffee and pretend it’s still summer, Dubnyk is a-ok and put on this Donald Byrd summer jam:

everything is great over here!

18. rich says:

Glad you mentioned the penalty kill LT. It’s been talked about since preseason when we saw Perron running around on the PK like a chicken w/his head cut off.

I don’t have a problem with the Swarm (not that the coach would give a rip what I think) on 5v5. But, on the PK, if you’re going against a skilled team (and think about it, teams in the NHL have a lot more skill than teams in the AHL), that’s a place where a team with more discipline on the kill is going to have more effect.

Right now, the kill has gone into the elevator shaft from last year. I know, Horcov is gone and that must obviously be the reason (sarcasm), but this is something where I hope the coach will take a deeper look at the video. I would suggest it might not be the learning that he see’s as the reason for this, but rather, it may be the system on this aspect of the game and make an adjustment.

Hope they don’t get blown out on the 2nd of back to backs. Wonder if Smyth has the legs for 3 games in 4 nights. Lord how I hope Yak is back in tonight and attacks with a vengeance.

19. Jon K says:

With the emergence of Belov, and Nurse and Klefbom on the way for next year, one has to wonder if Smid’s time in Edmonton is limited. He’s never been the best passer, and in Eakins’ new system puck moving ability from the back end is king. We’ve seen him falter a few times and last night was probably one of the more glaring examples.

I wonder what LT’s post-trade blog would actually look like. Lord knows we’ve been accusing him of trading away Smid since forever.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jon K:

I could see a Smid trade, but I’d be very curious if they either offloaded Smid before N. Schultz or offloaded Smid only to keep N. Schultz.

21. Racki says:

On the shift before the ward pp goal, Smid has the puck… Hall makes an odd decision, taking away his only pass option by circling right beside him. That forced Smid to wheel back into the zone where the Caps forecheck was too strong and Smid was forced to take a penalty. Not his fault on that one.

22. Racki says:

In other news, I think the swarm system works well when executed right. But I have to wonder how long until Eakins says “these guys are taking to long to get it” and falls back in the old zone defense everyone is bred to know… Or.. Is it just stinky goaltending and or bad luck responsible for all those goals against?

23. bookje says:

What a crazy situation – if the goalies came out like they have in past years and gave above average goaltending, we would all be rejoicing in the glory of the new Oilers.

Its tough to be Eakins and MacT today – the best thing to do is stand pat and count on your goalies to pull out of this soon, but it might not happen. Two more weeks of this and Eakins needs to start fearing for his job.

Crazy game!

24. pboy says:

slopitch: I also thought Hemsky had his worst game of the year yesterday. Eberle was great. I’d go93-4-1426-57-6427-94-8341-6-20Although maybe its best to wait a game before re-uniting 93-4-14… 87 might make it look like a bad plan

I’ve thought that this is the best Hemsky has looked in 2 or 3 seasons. I agree that last night was his worst game of the year, as well. When he’s playing his most effective hockey, he’s playing a north – south game. He has the hands and the brains to walk around players at full speed and make things happen like that. When he’s winding up with the puck and going East – West, is when he causes 3 or 4 offsides a game and he becomes very difficult to play with. Hopefully that was an abberation last night and not a regression to the mean of his last couple of seasons.

25. justDOit says:

Well it seems that delaying my Gamecenter subscription is the first thing I’ve timed correctly in a while. Now to wait for my pumpkin futures to take off in November…

26. fuzzy muppet says:

We are already getting dangerously close to heavy research on the top 10 prospects in this years draft.

Someday I would like to actually talk about how good the OIlers are….someday.

27. Hammers says:

godot10:
    Gordon is taking heavy D-zone starts.You can’t play Yak with him.

Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Hemsky were at 40% Corsi last night.

I think that means that Gagner may not have been the problem last year.

If not that line then Yak with Hall & RNH . Hemsky & Perron withGordon

Bogologo: I had to sign in and say, awesome. Tremendous story, love the Ovechkin part!

29. Logan91 says:

At this point i’m starting to think it was a bad idea getting rid of Krueger.

30. Logan91 says:

Also! Toni Rajala signed with HV71 of the Swedish Hockey League.

31. goldenchild says:

Its easy to say the 4th line doesnt matter and they can play 5 mins a game, leaving lots of minutes for better players but if the 4th line had Smyth and Jones as the wingers not only would they offer a reasonable semblance of a NHL bottom 6 line but they could also help you on the PK. I know we all hate Jones but doesnt he give you much better option on the roster than Brown or Gadzic?
    if this was the NFL I would take the Oilers and the points tonight seems like the type of game where everyone is on one side of this, right now I see 71% on Pit, Im guessing thats over 80% at puck drop.

32. Racki says:

Bohologo,

Great story! Laughed hard at the Castledowns line

33. Radman says:

Bohologo,

Beat me to the Punch LT. Love it Bohologo!

The same thing that puts those bums in the pews, drew the Joads to California, draws us out of our warm homes on a Tuesday night to the Rex in January to see the CBJ play the OIl. Blind faith, and the promise that one day our faith will be rewarded and we will witness greatness with our own eyes.

Can’t shake the feeling we will turn a corner here this year. Yikes. Help me….

34. bookje says:

Bohologo: Last night the boys played like they hated the coach, and the season has just started.

This is rather concerning. One of the biggest problems with the old ‘intense coach’ routine is that it wears pretty thin when you keep losing. Pretty soon the whole thing just seems corny.

I hope the goalies start winning some games – the team needs it.

35. Hammers says:

Who thought changing goalies last night actually helped ? I don’t . I still think Eakins should have used a conventional system . All our existing players have had so many systems the last few years and add the number of new players coming from more traditional coaching ideas and we have a cluster f—-. Forwards making mistakes ( Hall nearly every game ) Our “D” looking like there not sure . Eakins said he wants a winning culture and the right atmosphere but this team looks lost . Are there moments ? Yes but not enough . Why is it the best coaches use the KISS principle .

36. wheatnoil says:

Expect the Yakupov exile to end tonight in Pittsburgh where the Oilers face the Penguins. #TSN— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) October 15, 2013

Also, Friedman’s 30 thoughts are up and it’s an Oiler heavy one. http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/10/30-thoughts-oilers-dallas-eakins-takes-on-nail-yakupov.html

Interesting bit of information: “After playing 28, 26 and 25 minutes in his first three games, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins had just five shifts in the third period of Monday’s 4-2 loss in Washington. The Oilers go back-to-back with Pittsburgh on Tuesday, so Eakins may have been resting him for Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Unlike some other high picks, Nugent-Hopkins never played this much in junior. In Red Deer, he said coach Jesse Wallin rarely had him play 25 minutes a night. ”

And: “Eakins is keeping all sorts of data on his players’ workout habits. “The one thing in hockey that we’ve been so far behind on is the collection of data,” he said. “There’s a lot of people out there who will tell you that this is how you train a hockey player. Well, I don’t know how they came up with that, because no one’s been collecting data at all… Now, we can go and look and see, is [a player] quicker? Is he more powerful? Because if he’s not, we’re doing something wrong.” “

37. slopitch says:

Starting the 4th line to start the 3rd wasnt a major crime. I think the shift lasted 18s.

38. Colonel Obvious says:

I’m going to repeat what I said at the end of the last thread. If you think that the Oilers are giving up more chances than they have in the past or that these chances are of higher quality, you are not watching the games. This is not happening.

If you think the Oilers are giving up more and better chances because of the swarm you are doubly wrong. It isn’t happening in the first place, and if it were happening, it isn’t attributable to the swarm.

If you think these things it is because you are either prejudiced by the end-result or you were prejudiced against Eakins in the first place. In either case you are prejudiced and you need to clear your head and start watching the games.

Because these are the facts:

1) shots against are down.
    2) Not only are shots against down but scoring chances are down as well.
    3) The fewer chances that are allowed are not of a “higher” quality. That’s nonsense (literally non-sense, that which is not in keeping with your senses). It is something you have made up in your head out of angst and frustration. Your misperception here is a character flaw, a kind of moral failure.

So let’s talk like adults. This team is miles better than they were, though there are improvements to be made. You can’t talk about improvements if you are starting from a delusional and morally flawed perception of where we are.

This team has had absolutely dreadful goaltending. What to do?

Yakupov? What to do?

Elliott for Pitlick? I might do it, if only to ward off the dogs for a little while. Then I remember that Elliott was last season’s Dubnyk.

Now is the time to keep your head while around you everyone is losing theirs.

39. RMGS says:

I’m on board the Coach Eakins bandwagon and am ok with the YakCity scratches, but if he scratches him for a third game in a row the coach’s pride may be getting the best of him. If Yak is still learning the game without the puck, ease him in with soft minutes and O-zone starts alongside Arcobello and Joensuu. There’s enough skill there that play to Yak’s strengths.

EDIT: I just saw the good news from Dreger via Wheatnoil.

That leaves the toughs to:

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Perron-Gordon-Hemsky

I know the coach and GM are on record in support of that atrocious fourth line, but they have to bend a little – at least against selected opposition. I mean, there is no reasonable excuse for icing Gazdic and Brown against the Caps last night. None. And this while Yak sits.

A little flexibility (or good sense) would allow Smyth to move to that line. Keep Brown or Gazdic as the other winger, if you can’t help it. This may even allow that line to play three more minutes (gasp!).

Coach Eakins is a smart man. There’s no way he can’t see the obvious.

40. Bruce McCurdy says:

godot10: Why does Smid get the blame on that play, and not Hemsky?

41. LostBoy says:

So has anyone said who gets the start?

The grim facts are grim enough (record on third-in-four nights on the road; Pens perfect at home; last year’s leading goal-scorer benched and pouting; goalies forgetting how to play) that I’m going to cling to the idea that if they can somehow pull out a win it could change things around in a hurry. Failing that, the hope is kind of that it’s just an expected-what-can-you-do-move-on loss as opposed to a meltdown-call-the-psych-ward spectacle. This would be a very tough win in the best of circumstances. This is one to just go the distance.

42. RMGS says:

Colonel Obvious: But don’t talk anymore nonsense about the system. You don’t know anything about it and all of what is known demonstrate that it is working better than expected.

Indeed. If one feels that the structure/system of play largely leads to shot and chance differential outcomes, then he cannot argue against this.

43. bookje says:

Bruce McCurdy: On That’s Hockey 2nite Craig Button had an extended review of that 4v4 sequence beginning with Smid bringing the puck back across his own line and ending with Smid taking the penalty. But you are absolutely right about where 4 & 83 ‘s heads were on the entire sequence. Just brutal hockey from both. Wandering around aimlessly, and if that happened to take them near the puck, losing the battle for it.

Maybe it makes sense to run Eberle-RNH-Hall given that they are familiar with one another and did very well last year. Also, as Woodguy noted, Hemsky does better with grittier players, so Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky. Followed by Perron – Arcabello-Yakupov. Lastly, facepunchers.

It seems like the coach is trying to push upstream with the lines he has put together.

44. bookje says:

Biron cleared waivers.

45. hoser313 says:

Can only control certain things. Can’t control goaltenders not making saves and good defencemen being beat in a 2 on 1.

But on that note:

- The Macblendering needs to stop. Dumbfounding to me that Eberle-RNH-Hall haven’t been a consistent line when they clearly play best as a line. (Maybe someone has stats on this from last season?)
    - Special teams. Why (other than hubris) would the team change the PP and PK systems that worked well last year? Time to re-evaluate the new systems.
    - Defence. The D (and not just Jultz) need to stop wandering around in the offensive zone when there isn’t a forward back to cover. Clearly defending 2 on 1′s is a weakness for this team.
    - Depth. Sorry MacT but the 4th line IS a non-factor. Time for Smyth/Joensuu in and Brown out.

46. Henry says:

Bohologo:
    Was at the game last night, unfortunately.

Started off by leaving my tickets at home, had to call the wife, who is now convinced she’s married to a complete idiot.

Met my Edmonton buddy Rod pre-game in a nearby eatery. We’re wearing home and away colours, the only two guys in Oilers sweaters in a sea of red. A quick calculation suggests starting a brawl right there is a bad idea. However, Rod is from Castledowns, and that means people leave us alone.

We get to the arena, which is shiny and new, unlike Northlands/Skyreach/Rexall, which is dodgy and old. Unlike Northlands, it’s not sold out. It’s hard not to sit among 20-year Caps season’s ticket holders and think to myself, you people don’t know anything about this game, you don’t love it like we do. I’m a bad person for thinking this; of course DC hockey fans love their team, but for me it’s like comparing people who go to church on only on major religious holidays with people who don’t miss Tuesday mass because you don’t want to go to hell so get your ass in that front row pew.

Oilers spend the first 15 minutes of the game looking like the ’77 Habs, without the smokers. Then everything goes pear shaped.So the coarse language begins, because the zebras hate us, the Oilers don’t care as much as we do, and the linesmen are apparently drunk.There are little kids from a Maryland hockey club sitting in front of us, so Rod and I have to curse in Spanish and French, which is pretty satisfying, actually. Calice! Tabernac, Perron! Que faites-vous?

Ovechkin skates by and I holler at him in Russian that the recent late hit was a disgrace. He pretends not to hear me, but I can tell my words sting, and he is misting up under the visor.

I look for Yakupov sitting up in the rafters, thinking that he’ll be easy to spot, what with being incandescent with rage, but the kleig lights are pretty bright, so no soap.

You all saw the game, so I won’t make things worse by recounting what we all saw. But a few things I noticed: Taylor Hall looked pretty deflated, he must be pretty unhappy with years of losing; starting the fourth line to start the third left me deflated; not even the scattered Oil fans in the building cheered the second goal for. What was the point?

In the dying minutes of the third I turn to Rod and say, “This is like a root canal,” to which he replies, “Yes, but less enjoyable.”

Why do I cheer for this team? Setting aside it’s impossible for me to cheer for anyone else, but I am feeling pretty tired of getting my hopes up.Last night the boys played like they hated the coach, and the season has just started.

bookje,

If you’re like me you cheer for this team because you don’t want to go to hell. Get in that front row pew!

47. Bag of Pucks says:

One of the great things about watching sports for me is that is often provides an opportunity to see ‘defining moments.’ And we are nearing that point for Devan Dubnyk.

Some will argue that the Toronto game was in face the pivotal moment in his Oiler career, but I think more has to be on the line for his team and Dubnyk’s career for that to be the case. Sooner rather than later unfortunately, we are going to reach the point where MacT is forced to make a decision on his starting goaltender with the season hanging in the balance. Dubynk will either rise to the occasion or not, but either way, how he reacts to this challenge will likely define him for the rest of his career. That’s pretty spellbinding stuff.

Based purely on the way he plays, I’ve always had the sense that Dubnyk lacks the ego to be one of the elite. The great ones have that impenetrable confidence and even in a slump, they project it. Most importantly, they live for the challenge of these defining moments, they don’t shrink from it. That ability to excel when the pressure of the season is riding on your shoulders is what makes it such a tough job being an elite NHL netminder.

Dubnyk BELIEVES he has that quality but belief is not enough. Now he has to get out there and prove it to his team, his bosses, his critics and most importantly, to the opposition. Uhfortunately for DD, we’re long past the excuses and potential phase. It’s all about results now.

Since this rebuild starting, we’ve been asking ourselves whether Dubnyk is a player capable of leading this team to greatness. Within the next couple of weeks, I believe we’ll have our answer.

Defining moments.

48. Bos8 says:

Re the Russian – If there was no “Skurvy Syn” or “Yuzh Mat” it doesn’t count.

49. Henry says:

Colonel Obvious:
    I’m going to repeat what I said at the end of the last thread.If you think that the Oilers are giving up more chances than they have in the past or that these chances are of higher quality, you are not watching the games.This is not happening.

If you think the Oilers are giving up more and better chances because of the swarm you are doubly wrong.It isn’t happening in the first place, and if it were happening, it isn’t attributable to the swarm.

If you think these things it is because you are either prejudiced by the end-result or you were prejudiced against Eakins in the first place.In either case you are prejudiced and you need to clear your head and start watching the games.

Because these are the facts:

1) shots against are down.
    2) Not only are shots against down but scoring chances are down as well.
    3) The fewer chances that are allowed are not of a “higher” quality.That’s nonsense (literally non-sense, that which is not in keeping with your senses).It is something you have made up in your head out of angst and frustration.Your misperception here is a character flaw, a kind of moral failure.

So let’s talk like adults.This team is miles better than they were, though there are improvements to be made.You can’t talk about improvements if you are starting from a delusional and morally flawed perception of where we are.

This team has had absolutely dreadful goaltending.What to do?

Yakupov?What to do?

Elliott for Pitlick?I might do it, if only to ward off the dogs for a little while.Then I remember that Elliott was last season’s Dubnyk.

But don’t talk anymore nonsense about the system.You don’t know anything about it and all of what is known demonstrate that it is working better than expected.

Now is the time to keep your head while around you everyone is losing theirs.

I agree with most of what you’re saying. I’m disappointed, but still excited to watch Oiler hockey. I worry that the team can get down if this continues. We’ve seen that happen before.

I don’t understand point 3 in your litany of facts however. Quality of chances is based on one’s perception and experience. I’m agnostic on this point. I’m not sure it is a moral failure, at least not of the sort I enjoy.

50. RexLibris says:

During the preseason I had argued that Brown was the better player than Eager, so full disclosure on my earlier call there.

As to the 4th line, it is abysmal. The moment they hit the ice puck possession stops, even on home ice when favourable matchups are at least a theoretical possibility. There are no favourable matchups for Brown and Gazdic in the NHL. Acton is a keeper, but the other two lose every puck battle because they simply cannot think the game. Gazdic’s head is constantly swivelling around trying to find a puck that, without a word of a lie, can sometimes be right beneath his feet while Brown, for all his effort and enthusiasm, is where the puck has been and never where it is going, or even currently is.

Options have been whittled down now because of waiver pickups such that the Oilers are going to have to trade out some bodies. That means either trading up (3-1), out (1-1, probably a prospect for a mediocre immediate return) or finding a brain-donor somewhere in the ranks of the NHL GMs who will take Eager, Brown, Jones or any other ineffectual roster player.

This is one of the principle points of my frustration.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    Coach Eakins says Yakupov will play tonight, Joensuu is going back to Edmonton to nurse an injury. Larsen to OKC, Ryan Jones recalled.

52. rickithebear says:

Our D:
    Smid even (-2 VCR) 54% ZS
    Belov even last 5 GM 52% ZS
    N. schultz +2 last 5 GM 42% ZS
    J. petry -3 (-2 VCR) 54% ZS

A. Ference -5 in first 4 games playing w/ J. schultz. even in last 2. 49% ZS
    J. schultz -7 in 5/6 a minus player in every game except win VS. NJ +1 58% ZS

Look N. schultz is a minus 37 seaon Dman with J. schultz.
    He is a even Dman this year.
    Justin Schultz was the 4th worst GA dman in the game last year.
    consistent with his 3.54 GA pace this year.

Racki:

Hemsky, NOT Hall.

54. Racki says:

godot10: Hemsky, NOT Hall.

No, on that play it was Hall. Hemsky was up by center line on other side of ice. Button highlighted this post game.

55. Clay says:

Oilers’ goaltending + Sidney Crosby = Darryl Sittler’s worst nightmare.

56. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh good, what we need are more ex-Oilers here. Now that Katz is flush with taxpayer money, he can subsidize all his old party buddies.

57. BlacqueJacque says:

rickithebear:
    Our D:
    Smid even(-2 VCR)54% ZS
    Belov even last 5 GM52% ZS
    N. schultz +2 last 5 GM42% ZS
    J. petry -3(-2 VCR) 54% ZS

A. Ference -5 in first 4 games playing w/ J. schultz. even in last 2.49% ZS
    J. schultz -7 in 5/6 a minus player in every game except win VS. NJ +1 58% ZS

LookN. schultz is a minus 37 seaon Dman with J. schultz.
    He is a even Dman this year.
    Justin Schultz was the 4th worst GA dman in the game last year.
    consistentwith his 3.54 GA pace this year.

So if anyone should be scratched, it should be Schultzy? Colour me unsurprised.

58. Bag of Pucks says:

rickithebear:
    Our D:
    Smid even(-2 VCR)54% ZS
    Belov even last 5 GM52% ZS
    N. schultz +2 last 5 GM42% ZS
    J. petry -3(-2 VCR) 54% ZS

A. Ference -5 in first 4 games playing w/ J. schultz. even in last 2.49% ZS
    J. schultz -7 in 5/6 a minus player in every game except win VS. NJ +1 58% ZS

LookN. schultz is a minus 37 seaon Dman with J. schultz.
    He is a even Dman this year.
    Justin Schultz was the 4th worst GA dman in the game last year.
    consistentwith his 3.54 GA pace this year.

Taylor Fedun may feasibly be a better NHL ready defenseman that J Schultz at this point in their careers. Why do I get the feeling that the Oil would elevate Klefbom over Fedun? Why do I also get the feeling that J Schultz would have to kill someone to get sent down?

Eakins has to know that if certain players continue to bleed goals & wins (e.g. Dubnyk, Schultz Jr), eventually the other players will turn on them. With Yakupov out tonight, it wouldn’t surprise me if another player finds his way to the doghouse soon.

I miss the ‘Boys on the Bus’ days when these players would gather over a few pops until the honesty started flowing and they hash this out. Maybe the phenoms can meet on XBox Live to thrash it out instead?

Given that this team are the poster children for mental errors at the moment, I wonder if a little team building exercise outside the rink wouldn’t hurt? Anything to dial down the pressure.

59. Racki says:

I would definitely scratch j Schultz. See how things go without him for a game. Seems to think offense far too much. Lots of risk taking. Probably should be reeled in a bit while goaltending is at DEF CON 5

60. Romulus Apotheosis says:

What I don’t get is… why don’t we ever discuss the Bishop trade to Ott?

That’s when the pickings were ripe. All it cost Ott was a 2nd.

61. russ99 says:

Colonel Obvious:

Because these are the facts:

1) shots against are down.
    2) Not only are shots against down but scoring chances are down as well.

We’re losing games, and we’re losing them at all phases of the ice. Period.

No magical Corsi stick is going to make it all better. The fact is we’re keeping possession of the puck which is pushing Corsi into a better range. Otherwise we’re not playing better.

On defense, we’re giving the opponent clear shots on net, be it blowing coverage, taking the wrong guy 2 on 1 or stupidly kneeling down as if 95% of the players in the NHL can’t lift the puck.

On offense, we’re rarely getting the clear shots on net we’re often easily giving to our opponents

Our goaltenders aren’t bailing out the other players when they make mistakes.

Fix one or two of three, and we’re still not a playoff team.

62. Romulus Apotheosis says:

With Larsen being sent down… no way J. Schultz is being scratched.

That would have been the obvious move. That, or Larsen for N. Schultz.

63. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    With Larsen being sent down… no way J. Schultz is being scratched.

That would have been the obvious move. That, or Larsen for N. Schultz.

Oh for sure he isn’t.. Just saying he could stand a game or so in the press box. Maybe when Grebs returns

64. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

I’m an Eakins supporter so far. I can’t fault him for sitting Yakupov as the kid has much to learn in rounding out his game and to my eye, he is either lost in the systems and needs more practice time for it to click or he is exercising rebellion in not complying with standards Eakins is demanding. This team has lacked intensity and accountability in the past and Eakins applying tough medicine is fine by me. This situation is analogous to Hitch in St. Louis HS’ing Magnus – what’s the difference? I get that other players should also feel Eakins wrath and I think it’s coming – he won’t sit bunches of players at a time (scalpel vs. meat cleaver approach) and I do think he invests in trying to understand what cranks each player to respond. Sitting J Schultz for example may not have the impact it does on Yakupov. I think the young guys are really having a bit of a shock early on as to Eakins modus operandi versus previous coaches, but there won’t be escape this year unless you buy in or move on. Eakins won’t back down. This is a good thing as we need this to move forward.

As to Dubnyk, it’s a real tough situation as he is done as an Oiler #1 – he will be relegated to #2 or shipped off. MacT had his strong doubts as soon as he took the reins, but Dubnyk’s performance so far this year has sealed his fate. In my view, MacT will never give Dubnyk the keys to the goal tending kingdom and have the franchise depend on him at critical times. He needed to prove MacT wrong early into the season and he not only failed but did a colossal professional face plant. Its been uncomfortable to watch. I don’t think MacT gives a wit about DD moving back to his average historical save percentage. He will work the GM’s until he gets the goaltender he really wants and it has to be tough for DD to have that weight on his shoulders and still perform.

There are lots of positives and more time is needed for the whole team to gel and adapt, but I’m not buying the ‘be patient with DD given historical performance’ line of thinking (he’s done as #1 with the Oilers) and I reject the Eakins shouldn’t have benched Yakupov arguments. Examples will be made, people feelings will get hurt, there will NOT be slack in expectations and players will get moved – some of them shockers. This is how the Stanley cup gets won and it takes time and an emotional toll. But I haven’t felt better about the direction we are going in a long while. Some wins would be nice nonetheless.

65. Bag of Pucks says:

If Khudobin continues to play well for the Canes, is this trade do-able?

Would you pull the trigger on it if it is doable?

Dubnyk/Eberle for Ward/Lindholm

66. Bag of Pucks says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    What I don’t get is… why don’t we ever discuss the Bishop trade to Ott?

That’s when the pickings were ripe. All it cost Ott was a 2nd.

67. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bag of Pucks: Dithers was still in the fold then. He was probably mulling over a waiver claim on Chris Simon.

Same guy at the helm when Tampa sent Conacher and a 4th.

68. Colonel Obvious says:

Here’s my crazy trade idea:

Yakupov, N Schultz, Dubnyk for

Lehner, Zibanajad, Cowan.

It’s basically a 1-3 trade (the unholy grail) with Schultz and Dubnyk added to make the number of contracts work for the Oilers. Now the the money is all wrong for the Senators but it 1) gives them the best player in the deal while 2) making them better for this year, so I think they’d be dumb not to do it.

The more interesting theoretical question is whether this is a good deal for the Oilers. I’ve been fanatically opposed to trading Yakupov but this trade would solve all their problems at once without adding any aging, overpriced veterans.

What says you?

Somebody should tell the Oilers that Halloween is actually only a single day, October 31, and not the entire month of October.

Dallas “Queen Bee” Eakins and his mindless drones swarming their way to losses has been one scary month long Halloween gig.

Elite talent doesn’t exactly fit with the queen bee-mindless drone model of team that Eakins is preaching.

The Ales-Hemsky-distortion field seems to be in full effect in the blogosphere this year. Ales Hemsky…turning Nugent-Hopkins and Taylor Hall into mega-minus hockey players and 40% Corsi players.

70. stevezie says:

Bag of Pucks,

I think you could leave the forwards out of it and it is still possible. Ward is streaky and averages out to mediocre but at least we know he can streak up.

RMGS,

I want to cheer for the fourth because the little kid in me loved old-time hockey, but when I was a child I thought as a child, and watching these guys with the puck makes it hard to explain why they’re on the team. Especially when Asham is on waivers and Yak is in the pressbox. I don’t see how we can send down Arcobello and keep two scrappers, I really don’t see it.

LT, wasn’t Smyth one of the significant positives last night? I thought be proved he can still play low minutes, and that’s good news for a lot of reasons. Bang on about Perron though; he really helped create that first goal by taking out the defender. Loving him.

“Moral failing” is the best line anyone’s had all month.

Colonel Obvious:
    Here’s my crazy trade idea:

Yakupov, N Schultz, Dubnyk for

Lehner, Zibanajad, Cowan.

The more interesting theoretical question is whether this is a good deal for the Oilers.I’ve been fanatically opposed to trading Yakupov but this trade would solve all their problems at once without adding any aging, overpriced veterans.

What says you?

I think Pittsburgh is more likely to trade us Crosby for Gagner! -).

Eakins just destroyed any trade value for Yakupov in the short term. I doubt Ottawa would trade Lehner at all, but I think the starting price would be Eberle or Hall.

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pack in the Yak trades guys. Fool’s errand. You can’t win that trade.

And… Please Godot… enough with the hyperbole… crap man! I get the season start is leaving a lot of people upset (I’m there with you), but statements like this is just so beyond absurd they are incredible:

“Eakins just destroyed any trade value for Yakupov in the short term.”

73. RMGS says:

Stauffer: Are the top-end skilled players on this team, in your opinion, paying the price enough consistently in the paint to score goals?

Coach Eakins: No.

I have no numbers to back it up, but I’ve seen a lot of perimeter play from the Oilers in the O-zone – similar to last year, really.

Outside of Gordon, Perron, Joensuu (who’s injured), and Smyth (maybe this is why he’s in the line-up) who else consistently drives to the goal?

74. stevezie says:

godot10,

I think until he sucks for an entire season Yak’s value is higher than Ebs’. To be honest CO I don’t watch enough Sens games to know how good Cowan and Z are, but I can see the sense in it. Don’t know if the Sens could afford all that salary though.

75. Andropod says:

RMGS,

Jonesy

76. rickithebear says:

hoser313:
    Can only control certain things.Can’t control goaltenders not making saves and good defencemen being beat in a 2 on 1.

But on that note:

- The Macblendering needs to stop.Dumbfounding to me that Eberle-RNH-Hall haven’t been a consistent line when they clearly play best as a line.(Maybe someone has stats on this from last season?)
    - Special teams.Why (other than hubris) would the team change the PP and PK systems that worked well last year?Time to re-evaluate the new systems.

- Depth.Sorry MacT but the 4th line IS a non-factor.Time for Smyth/Joensuu in and Brown out.

Special teams Yes!

4th line Yes.
    I would take 3 vertical forwrds who can score direct route goals and outscore for the season.
    Eager, Acton, Jones

Hall, RNH, Eberle, Gagner, Yakupov last two years.

Hall-Horc 3.66Gf/60 1.95GA/60 +1.71G/60
    Best w eager or yakupov not enough minutes.
    thou 0 GA in in 70 min w/ both

Smyth-RNH 3.38GF/60 2.08Ga/60 +1.30G/60
    Hall-RNH 2.71Gf/60 2.41 GA/60 +0.30 G/60

Eberle-Smyth 4.52GF/60 1.99GA/60 +2.53G/60
    Eberle-MP 3.43 Gf/60 2.57 GA/60 =0.86G/60

Gagner-Smyth 3.97Gf/60 1.66 GA/60 +2.31G/60
    Best w/ eager but not enough minutes

Yak-Horc 5.05GF/60 1.01GA/60 +4.04G/60
    Yak-Jones 3.55GF/60 2.13Ga/60

77. russ99 says:

RMGS:

Coach Eakins: No.

This here is the problem with our skilled offense players in a nutshell.

The top 4-6 scorers all have lit the lamp at every level from peewee to the NHL. These guys should be using their speed, skating and passing to enter the zone and create the space needed to score.

Forcing the “pay the price/cycle/grind/drive to the net” offensive philosophy onto these guys is a total waste of their talent.

78. stevezie says:

russ99,

This team is a test case for the idea that you need grinders and clutchers to go with your skill guys. Personally I think the “all-skill” experiment is working fine and with even .900 goaltending we’d be looking fine.

Could use an all-star defender though.

79. In the Grease says:

With Joensuu and Brown likely sitting, sounds like this is the forward lineup:

Hall – Nuge – Hemsky
    Smyth – Arco – Ebs
    Perron – Gordon – Yak
    Gazdic – Acton – Jones

80. RMGS says:

russ99: These guys should be using their speed, skating and passing to enter the zone and create the space needed to score.

Driivng to the net (or having net presence) is not exclusive of this. I’d argue that it’s part and parcel. You’re creating a false dichotomy.

Lots of skilled, “small” players drive to the net to score or create space/rebounds to score, but I’ll name only the best player in the world: Sidney Crosby.

81. In the Grease says:

It’s counter-logic to Eakins’ words, but for the hell of it I would throw Yak on the first line to see if it jump-start him, and try to recapture some of the late season chem he seemed to have with Hall, and drop Hemsky down to the third

82. BlacqueJacque says:

In the Grease:
    With Joensuu and Brown likely sitting, sounds like this is the forward lineup:

Hall – Nuge – Hemsky
    Smyth – Arco – Ebs
    Perron – Gordon – Yak
    Gazdic – Acton – Jones

Not that I make up lines, but if I did, tonight I’d try…

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
    Perron-Arco-Yakupov
    Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky
    Gazdic-Acton-Jones

I’d also have recalled Fedun and sent Schultz down. He’s exempt from waivers and can spend half a season down in OKC as far as I’m concerned. Wunderboy is a defensive liability of the first order. MAB bad.

83. In the Grease says:

Ugh…sorry….time machine needed.

RMGS:

Coach Eakins: No.

Its funny that everyone who goes to the net wasn’t an Oiler last year.

Eakins also used the “pass the puck into the net” line.

That’s the 3rd coach to say that.

I wonder if the players, after hearing it from 3 different head coach might actually stop and think. “maybe they’re right?”

This team is awful at going to the net.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Pack in the Yak trades guys. Fool’s errand. You can’t win that trade.

“Eakins just destroyed any trade value for Yakupov in the short term.”

In the SHORT TERM, there is no way the Oilers can get fair value for Yakupov in a trade. Do you think the Oilers would have been able to get Perron for Paajarvi after Renney tossed him on the scrap heap, without the rehabilitation of Magnus by Krueger?

russ99: This here is the problem with our skilled offense players in a nutshell.

Almost every guy in the NHL scored at every level.

No one has scored more than Crosby and watch him and Malkin go to the net tonight.

There’s a reason that most of the goals in the NHL get scored on shot 10ft or shorter.

You rarely beat a goalie with the first shot (unless its the Oilers….HEYOOOOH), you need to score on rebounds etc.

Boyd Gordon and Ryan Smyth have 39% of the Oilers’ goals this year.

It aint rocket surgery.

87. In the Grease says:

BlacqueJacque,

Truth be told, I’m up for anything at this point, just to see a couple of wins….

But yeah giving Fedun a look while Schultz takes a turn in the pressbox (probably more feasible than a full-on demotion to the A) doesn’t seem unreasonable at this stage…

BlacqueJacque: Not that I make up lines, but if I did, tonight I’d try…

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
    Perron-Arco-Yakupov
    Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky
    Gazdic-Acton-Jones

I’d also have recalled Fedun and sent Schultz down.He’s exempt from waivers and can spend half a season down in OKC as far as I’m concerned.Wunderboy is a defensive liability of the first order.MAB bad.

I like your lines.

Might swap 14 and 64, but otherwise that’s what it should be.

Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Eberle drive the net just fine. They’ve proved that over and over again. But they lack the energy to do it when they are playing 25 minutes a night, and wasting energy mindlessly swarming and trying to hit people every shift.

And who wants to drive the blue paint, when Hemsky, “the master of his domain” with the puck, , is skating around by himself with it, looking for the perfect play, or is mindlessly skating around getting in Smid’s way, giving him no outlet pass option, or skating up ice, and totally unprepared for Nugent-Hopkins headman pass, or whatever…you get the drift. Nugent-Hopkins and Hall have no clue when to drive the net when Hemsky is playing with his puck.

As far as the PK goes, the goal of the PK is to limit shots.

Here are the shots against 4v5 for the Oilers for every player who has over 1min/60 of PK time:

TAYLORHALL 89
    ALESHEMSKY 78.1
    ANDREWFERENCE 72.5
    NICKSCHULTZ 71.9
    WILLACTON 55.5
    BOYDGORDON 50.7
    JEFFPETRY 45.2
    LADISLAVSMID 36.7
    RYANNUGENT-HOPKINS 22.9

That first unit is just fucking awful.

Burning Hall’s gas on the PK when the results are this bad is not good.

The 55 shots/60 is decent and usually around league average.

I pull both 4 and 83 off the PK, they’re not helping.

91. BlacqueJacque says:

stevezie:
    TSN is paying for this: https://blu172.mail.live.com/default.aspx?id=64855

They’re paying for my Hotmail?!

92. wordbird says:

wordbird:

94. TheGreatMutato says:

BlacqueJacque: They’re paying for my Hotmail?!

Spare change for TSN, given that they can afford Lowetide’s salary.

95. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10: In the SHORT TERM, there is no way the Oilers can get fair value for Yakupov in a trade.Do you think the Oilers would have been able to get Perron for Paajarvi after Renney tossed him on the scrap heap, without the rehabilitation of Magnus by Krueger?

Any GM in the world who hears Yakupov is available and says to themselves, “Dallas Eakins benched him for two games… meh, low-ball them” should be dragged by a horse for 6 miles and then shot.

This is an insane conversation: there is no need or compelling reason to trade Yakupov; and, if there were, the bidding would start incredibly high and no one would care about two benched games. no one.

96. justDOit says:

Yak trade scenarios… diminished trade value… we’ll need some props and trash buttons soon!

So to try to stay in a positive frame of mind (until the 2nd intermission tonight), Asham isn’t the newest member of the Oilers today.

97. stevezie says:

Well I screwed up. I meant this: http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=nhl-thatshockey2nite/latest/1/0/1023662/clip/564
    Crack analysis.

98. rich says:

wordbird: In other NHL news, Dallas Stars’ Russian 1st rounder Valeri Nichushkin will be a healthy scratch tonight. Or, translated for an Edmonton audience:NICHUSHKIN STINKS. TRADE HIM TO THE LEAFS FOR PHANEUF. HE HATES THE COACH. HE DOESN’T LIKE THE SYSTEM. HE’S HEADING BACK TO THE KHL ASAP.

@ Wordbird: Thank you for the Damien Cox/DSF translation.

I wrote this last night:

New coaches.

They fall in love with Hemsky, but fail to look at his history.

He produces best with a C and LW who go to the net and/or get into shooting positions, not guys who cycle.

Hemsky’s production with Horcoff/Penner/Smyth dwarf his other playing partners over the years in terms of pts/gm.

Hall, Eberle and RNH have their cycle game down to a science that they can do drunk in the dark and still score.

Yet, as with Krueger, Eakins eshews the past for his own path forward.

The over/under on him getting 4-93-14 back together and 6-27-83 together is 20 games.

They will all click and look like world beaters and all it would take is for him to painstakingly watch every game with the ugly detail that many have us done over the years, and it would happen sooner.

The optimal line up is:

4-93-14
    57-89 (26 until healthy)-64
    6-27-83

Its plain to everyone who has watched this team succeed and fail for the past number of years.
    I hate waiting for the coach to clue in.

Takes too long.

Looking at WOWY’s this morning and found this (warning: really small sample size, but I’m home sick and bored)

Hemsky

With Hall 43.6%
    Away from Hall 57%
    Hall away from Hemksy 54.3%

Hemsky

With Gordon 56.2%
    Away from Gordon 49.4%
    Gordon away from Hemsky 39.8%

Some of the numbers might be lingering from Hall at C experiment given this:

Hemsky

With RNH 60.6%
    Away from RNH 45.7%
    RNH away from Hemsky 46.8%

Also,

I’ve bitched about 14 this year, but he’s really picked it up last couple games.

Interesting Eberle and Hall numbers (NOTE: Hall plays toughs so Eberle’s time away is almost guaranteed to be the softer minutes outside of the 4th line)

Together 60%
    Hall Apart 44.2%
    Eberle Apart 54.7%

100. rickithebear says:

Woodguy:
    Shot counts in an even situation are reflective of the player:
    On advataged (PP) or Disadvataged situations (PK) Goals are all that matter.
    Caaue it is about quality of Shot.

Last year;

This year of 141 FWD
    Hall tied for #1 0GA
    Gordon #57
    Acton #113
    Hemsky #130
    RNH # 137

it is about the Quality of PK forwards.

Eakins is a DUMB ASS.

So Stauffer mentions that Ottawa is an “internal cap” team and then proceeds to talk for 5 minutes about Anderson.

Hmmmmm.

rickithebear,

On advataged (PP) or Disadvataged situations (PK) Goals are all that matter.
    Caaue it is about quality of Shot.

That’s pretty much the opposite of what data from 10,000 games tells us.

Woodguy:

Hmmmmm.

And then Stauffer brings up Anderson to another guest…….

Bill Watters rips Eakins for benching Yak.

“If you have to bench a 19 year old to send a message, you’re not as good a coach as you think you are”

“Oilers have everything except for coaching. Dallas isn’t as good as he thinks he is”

I’m not a Watter’s fan, but that’s good radio!

105. rickithebear says:

Woodguy:
    I wrote this last night:

New coaches.

They fall in love with Hemsky, but fail to look at his history.

Yet, as with Krueger, Eakins eshews the past for his own path forward.

The optimal line up is:

4-93-14
    57-89 (26 until healthy)-64
    6-27-83

I hate waiting for the coach to clue in.

Takes too long.

RNH away from Hemsky 46.8%

Also,

Together 60%
    Hall Apart 44.2%
    Eberle Apart 54.7%

In WOWY G matter.
    CF and GF% is total Bull shit.
    +/- of Gf/GA measures the resukts of the game.
    hell Chances +/- CF CA.

1.50 Gf 1.00 GA is 60% GF% but .5Goal differential/60
    3.00Gf 2.00GA is 60% GF% but 1.00GD/60
    I know which player i want.

106. Racki says:

godot10: Big difference between sitting a raw rookie and the NHL’s leading rookie scorer the previous season and your teams leading goal scorer from the previous season.

Previous previous.. That’s all I hear you saying when did today not matter?

107. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: And then Stauffer brings up Anderson to another guest…….

Wishful thinking?

What could we offer that was cap friendly anyway? One of the young D is all I can think of.

Ha ha.

So Biil Watters is in the Dallas-Eakins-is-Barry-Melrose camp!

Was Nail ever confused last year by what Krueger expected of him? Even when he was struggling at the beginning.

To paraphrase Yak, Eakins wants me to run around like a headless chicken and hit people every shift.

Out of the mouths of babes….

109. leadfarmer says:

Am I the only one that thinks Hall needs a little adjustment to his game. I know that he likes to get the puck and rush straight at the defense, but at the NHL level most defenseman have enough speed to keep up with it since they see it coming, and he is outskating his puck support. If he could just pull up in the other team’s zone once in a while and hit the trailing man he would generate a lot more offense.

110. Racki says:

leadfarmer:
    Am I the only one that thinks Hall needs a little adjustment to his game.I know that he likes to get the puck and rush straight at the defense, but at the NHL level most defenseman have enough speed to keep up with it since they see it coming, and he is outskating his puck support.If he could just pull up in the other team’s zone once in a while and hit the trailing man he would generate a lot more offense.

The old Gretzky delay.

leadfarmer:

Hall was 2nd in scoring in the tougher conference last year. 2nd in scoring.

112. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Worth remembering that STL also got the Oilers 2014 2nd round pick in that trade.

Right now that pick is looking like it could be a high one and may eventually have more value than Paajarvi.

Eakins so far.

Hey, but the Corsi is fine, against Eastern Conference teams.

Everything about this game says loss, so I’m calling it as a win.

1) 3rd in 4 nights. Usually the team on the 3rd in 4 is 25%

2) PIT PP is 3rd in the NHL at 35.7%

3) EDM PK is 27th at 66.7%

4) Oiler’s have league worst team SV% with .829

5) PIT is only .900, but MAF is .930 and something called Zatkoff is .800 and MAF starts

All signs point to an Oiler loss.

In staying with the spirit of opposite short term luck, the Oilers win tonight.

GO OILERS!

Woodguy:
    Everything about this game says loss, so I’m calling it as a win.

1) 3rd in 4 nights.Usually the team on the 3rd in 4 is 25%

2) PIT PP is 3rd in the NHL at 35.7%

3) EDM PK is 27th at 66.7%

4) Oiler’s have league worst team SV% with .829

All signs point to an Oiler loss.

In staying with the spirit of opposite short term luck, the Oilers win tonight.

GO OILERS!

Oh,

And they’ll win while getting out shot as well.

116. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

I put a small amount on the Oil to win because sometimes things make so little sense they become inevitable.

Only a small amount though; it’s fun to taunt logic but c’mon i got bills to pay.

117. Brackenburied says:

godot10: Eakins so far.Hall is broken. Yak is broken. Nugent-Hopkins -9. Hemsky on the ice for more goals against than any player int he league. PK broken. PP breaking.Hey, but the Corsi is fine, against Eastern Conference teams.

Isn’t that a John lee Hooker song?

118. denny33 says:

delooper,

Great post.

Whole league is talking abut our 1st line ….

But I am willing to bet there will be at least 20 -21 references in this forum to our 4th line…

Because that is what matters 4th lines.

That is who we fear tonight, right? Tanner Glass and company….

119. denny33 says:

Colonel Obvious,

DD and N. Schultz…..Wow.

Might as well get them to throw in Ryan as well….

120. denny33 says:

RMGS,

Sometimes a ray of sunshine sneaks through to give some light in here…..

Let there be Light!

121. Brackenburied says:

Brackenburied: Isn’t that a John lee Hooker song?

Sorry, R.L. Burnside; Everything is Broken.

denny33:
    RMGS,

Sometimes a ray of sunshine sneaks through to give some light in here…..

Let there be Light!

Are you absolutely certain that you aren’t inside a tunnel inside a mountain standing on railway tracks…?

Or deep inside a coal mine where the power is out, the canary just expired, and someone is about to light a match…?

123. denny33 says:

From EJ 19 Justin Schultz, 2. Schultz made the critical play on Edmonton’s first goal, knocking down a pass in the neutral zone, making a quick zone entry in transition and then putting a pass across to Boyd Gordon in the slot. Unfortunately, he also made a critical error on the Capitals tying goal a few minutes later, jumping on to the attack and allowing his check Brooks Laich time alone at the side of the net. It was a theme that would be repeated again and again throughout the course of the night; Schultz was on the ice for fully three-quarters of Washington’s 5-on-5 scoring chances.

#19′s play is UNREAL – one the ice for fully three – quarters of the 5-5 chances….and those are not minor chances…He LEAVES his zone on them – like the first Wash. Goal. Leaves. Gone.

Justin Schultz CONTINUES to Earn tons of icetime?

#93 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, 3. Had one great moment, ringing the puck off the post on a vicious backhand. Made a bad giveaway on Washington’s first goal (and scoring chance) of the game, taking a failed clearance attempt by Anton Belov and putting it between Taylor Hall and Ales Hemsky and to the Capitals’ point man. Took his time getting out to cover Alex Ovechkin on Washington’s third goal. Forced Jeff Petry to take a penalty by getting cleanly beat off the boards by Ovechkin early in the third period. Won two of 12 faceoffs.

Mistakes going in the opposite direction against Montreal. Followed by a replay against Toronto…and then his game Against Washington.

At least RNH is seeing his icetime cut.

Back to the 4th line ……

What – exactly – does J. Schultz have to do to see less icetime?

124. Ribs says:

leadfarmer:

I remember Hall saying this was one of the things he had to get used to when he first broke into the league. That’s not to say that he couldn’t do it better or more often, though. I imagine it would be a hard thing to change. Once you lose that momentum, it’s gone.

denny33:

I call B.S.

Hemsky blew the play by being totally unprepared and oblivious to a headman pass from Nugent-Hopkins. Hemsky skating around in his own universe caused that goal, just like Hemsky skating around in his own universe left Smid no option but to skate back into his own zone.

126. Zelepukin says:

stevezie:
    russ99,

Personally I believe its not grinders and clutchers that young skill guys need, it’s veteran skill guys that they can benefit the most from. Even Crosby got to play 20 games with Lemieux to go with a full season along side guys like Palfy, Recchi, and John LeClair. Horcoff and Hemsky are not skilled role models.

I think our young guns will eventually get there to dominate the league, it’s just taking longer than everyone thinks it should.

127. stevezie says:

godot10,

Disagree on the first goal. I though that was a pass to a man in a poor position to take it.

stevezie:
    godot10,

So then, as with Smid being forced back, Hemsky was providing lousy puck support and no option for the puck carrier. Just skating around without purpose or urgency in his own world.

If one breaks up ice ahead of the puck carrier one should be prepared for a headman pass, or get in position for one.

129. Bag of Pucks says:

denny33:
    delooper,

Great post.

Whole league is talking abut our 1st line ….

Because that is what matters 4th lines.

That is who we fear tonight, right? Tanner Glass and company….

I couldn’t agree more that the 4th line’s exaggerated importance on the final outcome is one of the more annoying memes but given this meme’s ideological roots, I can’t see it going away.

130. Andropod says:

This is a test to see if this site has gone down, no posts since 3:44pm, and it’s after 4:30 now.

LaBarbera starts. Via Principe

132. spoiler says:

Neal on the IR today. That should help our PK out a bit.

Gazdic not in warmups, that may mean 4line is Acton-Jones-Brown.

134. spoiler says:

Yakupov is wearing a uniform and taking the warm up. I don’t think they’re teasing us tonight.

Chris Wescott ‏@TheChrisWescott 1m

Mark Arcobello centering the #Oilers top line of Hall and Eberle during warmups while Yakupov is on the second line w/ Perron and RNH

136. DBO says:

#Oilers forward lines in warm-up: Hall-Arcobello-Eberle, Perron-RNH-Yakupov, Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky, Jones-Acton-Brown.

I’d rather have Gazdic then Brown. But I am happy with that lineup.

Bag of Pucks: Expecting the advanced stats guys not to obsess about the 4th line is a bit like asking Al Queda to stop obsessing about Israel. In terms of puck possession, corsi, shot differential, etc. they are the veritable ‘infidels’ that represent everything wrong and regressive in the game. In short, gift wrapped graphic evidence.

Why exactly do you post here?

You constantly deride “the advanced stats guys”

There was a point, not that long ago, that the entire thread was advanced stats based.

So if that’s anathema for you, why are you here?

Its like walking into a Catholic Church and proudly proclaiming that you think that the idea of Pope is ludicrous.

Why would you come somewhere and deride what other think?

Chris Wescott ‏@TheChrisWescott 1m

I really like that.

Means 3rd is Smyth/Jones-Gordon-Hemsky

139. Soup Fascist says:

spoiler:
    Neal on the IR today. That should help our PK out a bit.

Any chance Crosby and Malkin simultaneously came down with scurvy and / or the NHL has instituted a single game experiment of trying a beachball vs a puck?

LaBarbera starts. Via Principe

PDO mentioned today that starting Doobie would be cruel.

The deck is stacked against a win and he needs one badly.

Good coaching decision.

DBO:

I’d rather have Gazdic then Brown. But I am happy with that lineup.

I like that a lot

I like Jones on the 4th more than Gazidc, Brown, and Hamilton.

LOOK EVERYONE, I SAID I LIKE JONES!!

142. Bag of Pucks says:

Woodguy: Why exactly do you post here?

You constantly deride “the advanced stats guys”

So if that’s anathema for you, why are you here?

Why would you come somewhere and deride what other think?

I’ve found common ground with many of the poster here on many topics.

Why do you feel so inclined to act as if you’re the official site moderator deciding what is or is not acceptable posting etiquette?

Woodguy: I

LOOK EVERYONE, I SAID I LIKE JONES!!

The clocks here have stopped. Anyone else?

DBO:

I’d rather have Gazdic then Brown. But I am happy with that lineup.

1st pair Dmen follow Hall around like lost puppies.

That means there is a ton of fire power on the softer seconds of 57-93-64

PIT has old slow D too at a few spots too.

Good D, but old and slower.

I’m pretty excited to see this work.

145. Soup Fascist says:

Woodguy,

Agree 100%. Not much to complain about other than IMO Gazdic has been more effective than Brown. Yak and Yak Sr. can’t complain about skill of linemates. Arcobello has played well enough to deserve this shot.

I suppose signing Frederic Chabot to a tryout contract is out of the question?

Bag of Pucks: I’ve found common ground with many of the poster here on many topics.

I don’t moderate.

I speak (type) my mind when I think someone is a dink.

Evidence based disagreements are usually the norm.

Feel free to present evidence and call me a dink.

147. Bag of Pucks says:

Woodguy: I don’t moderate.

I speak (type) my mind when I think someone is a dink.

Evidence based disagreements are usually the norm.

Feel free to present evidence and call me a dink.

I believe the above ad hominem attack is all the evidence one needs.

148. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: The clocks here have stopped. Anyone else?

I still just can’t believe it. I keep staring at that sentence thinking I must have read it the wrong way. Maybe it’s an anagram?

The world just doesn’t make sense. People killing each other over religion…and now this.

149. spoiler says:

Have to think these lines mean that Big D will be trying to get Gordon out against Crosby, and Bylsma will be trying to match Sid up against Arco.

Bag of Pucks: I believe the above ad hominem attack is all the evidence one needs.

Well at least we can agree on one thing.

spoiler:

I’d try to put out Sid against 57-93-64 rather than 4-26-14.

I think he gets the puck more against the 2nd line.

152. striatic says:

is Joensuu an HS or is he injured again?

153. RexLibris says:

Dilemma – do I watch the game tonight or do something less likely to cause irreversible traume, like french kiss a light socket?

154. Andropod says:

striatic:
    is Joensuu an HS or is he injured again?

injured, sore back, sent back to Edm for treatment.

155. spoiler says:

Woodguy: PDO mentioned today that starting Doobie would be cruel.The deck is stacked against a win and he needs one badly.Good coaching decision.

Agreed. Whole-heartedly. Protect Doob’s confidence, and maybe Salon Man can find a snippety rhythm.

156. In the Grease says:

Anyone have an online feed they can point me to? thx in advance

157. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m interested to see how Lady’s brother “Jaroslav” plays tonight.

(PIT broadcast).

Smid-Oetry
    Ference N schultz
    Belov J Schultz

159. spoiler says:

Woodguy:

So far, correct.

160. Andropod says:

Lowetide: The clocks here have stopped. Anyone else?

Mine stopped from 3:44 to 4:30. Only got gping again when I posted my test above.

161. wheatnoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I’m interested to see how Lady’s brother “Jaroslav” plays tonight.

(PIT broadcast).

THAT explains why we haven’t seen the same Smid so far this year!

162. spoiler says:

Woodguy: I like that a lotI like Jones on the 4th more than Gazidc, Brown, and Hamilton.LOOK EVERYONE, I SAID I LIKE JONES!!

Jones also provides another PK option. Maybe we will see Hall and/or Hemsky demoted.

163. RexLibris says:

It begins.

Well we don’t have to worry about that first goal jinx.

165. In the Grease says:

Wait, do I even want a feed?

166. spoiler says:

27-93-64-5-2 out there for the goal.

I hear the train a comin’

It’s rollin’ ’round the bend.

169. VanOil says:

I love the Pittsburgh commentators view that the “Oilers save % is pathetic” and “they need a save a didn’t get it”.

170. BlacqueJacque says:

They look nervous. Eakins looks like a corpse with a spray tan after that goal. Expressionless.

I can’t imagine a worse job for a coach than Oilers coach right now. Nobody is patient or making excuses for the team any more, and with their talent expectations are so high…

And I ain’t seen the sunshine.

172. spoiler says:

Crosby took 26′s line that time.

Since, I don’t know when.

174. spoiler says:

26′s line double-shifted.

Looks like LaBarbera thought that was in. Oilers can’t get out of the zone here.

176. spoiler says:

That was the most-sustained offense of the period thus far. 27-94-83.

177. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“David Jones”

it continues.

178. spoiler says:

That’s twice now that Yak has tried to do everything himself.

Yakupov had a nice chance there, but he could have used a linemate too. For me, I don’t want to change that, but Eakins is likely aware that he’s going to be easier to check as a one dimensional (never pass) option.

180. BlacqueJacque says:

Schultz needs to come back harder after jumping in like that. Nice play, but come back and relieve the forward covering for you, son.

181. VanOil says:

A save!!!

8-4 Pens Corsi currently. I think this game is about what we expected so far

183. Kris11 says:

Oilers breakout is awful. Come down. Follow a play. Get the puck into neutral zone.

IMO, might be better to play a more defensive, trap-like system.

184. LMHF#1 says:

PIT has such an outstanding forecheck. They’re all over the D and if they don’t force a turnover they’re making you pay the price. Exactly how it needs to be done.

185. RexLibris says:

Oil Kings and Barons also playing tonight. I wonder if the Oilers can stay in this game until puck drop @ 7pm?

186. jake70 says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Schultz needs to come back harder after jumping in like that.Nice play, but come back and relieve the forward covering for you, son.

Some finish and he merely can float back for the faceoff at center.

187. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    “David Jones”

it continues.

If you lived in Pittsburgh, you’d be drunk too.

188. VanOil says:

The fashion police are going to bust Perron one of these days

189. Andropod says:

Ference had an open net and he froze.

190. RexLibris says:

We need to find a way to trade Ryan Jones to Calgary. They’d have a complete set (David, Blair and Ryan).

191. bookje says:

192. russ99 says:

Some nice up arrows this period. They switched up the zone entry after halfway through the period, and only the bottom six are dumping it in. We’re also playing better on defense, other than that bad man rotation on the goal against.

Need more shots. We’re down 13-3 so far.

193. spoiler says:

bookje: HEY, the Penguins have one of their guys just standing in the net keeping all the pucks from going in!!! Is that even allowed?

Yeah. All 3 shots.

194. VanOil says:

It seems that the Oilers are trying to improve there SV% by letting more shots

195. Andropod says:

Was that payback for all the bad bounces?

Newer Comments »