OILERS AT SENATORS G9, 13-14

I think the Oilers ‘tough love’ approach to their Russian (healthy scratch, thrown over by Russian scout, media call out) is going to be followed by “see!” Saturday if things go according to Hoyle.

The Oilers have one established line working (Gordon-Smyth-Hemsky) and then they have Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle and David Perron to populate the other two lines of note along with Yakupov and the rookie Arcobello.

• Nuge-Yakupov-Eberle
  • Arcobello-Hall-Perron

So, they have two players out of position because Jordan Eberle is the team slump buster. I’m not sure this is wise, but suspect they’re willing to go to drastic measures to get the Russian going. I also suspect that if it isn’t working Dallas Eakins will treat it like yesterday’s papers.

grebeshkov

Oilers have recalled Denis Grebeshkov from his rehab, he was 3, 0-0-0 -1 in his first AHL action since 2005-06. I always liked the Russian, it’ll be very interesting to see who draws out in favor of him.

• Smid-Petry
  • Belov-J Schultz
  • Ference-N Schultz

I would guess it’ll be Schultz the elder, but Eakins isn’t as predictable as other recent Oiler coaches. Like MacT, he does some surprising things; another candidate for a HS might be Justin Schultz but I don’t see that even with all the chaos. Laddy seemed to be struggling a week ago, but it might have been injury and he seems better lately.

5X5 CORSI FOR %, DEFENSEMEN 2013-14

1. Jeff Petry 51.4%
  2. Anton Belov 50.5%
  3. Justin Schultz 48.5%
  4. Andrew Ference 48%
  5. Ladislav Smid 45.6%
  6. Nick Schultz 45.0%

The toughest zone starts belong to Nick Schultz, so that’s a factor worth considering. Smid-Petry are facing the toughest competition (this is all from extra skater) and of course it’s important to mention these are early days. What can we draw from all of this? Petry is the best defenseman on the team. That’s another positive arrow in the Kevin Prendergast quiver for those counting, and I do believe Belov is going to be a player (he needs to improve defensive zone coverage but you can say that about every defenseman now that Pronger is done).

pitlick5

Jonathan Willis is in Oklahoma City this year, he’s going to be tracking the Barons players and writing about it over at COH. He had a nice item up last night and promises more throughout the weekend.

• Willis: Pitlick’s been getting a push in the last few games, and tonight he played on the top unit power play, the top unit penalty kill and the top line at even-strength. After the game, Todd Nelson explained that Pitlick was getting time killing penalties – something he hadn’t done before this year – partially for development reasons. “For [Pitlick] to make the National Hockey League, he’s probably not going to be in the top-six,” Nelson said. “To earn extra minutes he has to learn how to kill penalties. He’s learning, it’s going to be a work in progress, but he’s very effective with his speed and this is an investment in his future.”

The big story last night was Linus Omark, four points and he was dominant.

khaira33

The CHL is rolling now, and there are some very nice boxcars rolling by for Oiler kids.

1. Greg Chase 10, 10-7-17
  2. Mitchell Moroz 11, 10-5-15
  3. Kyle Platzer 10, 4-3-7
  4. Jujhar Khaira 8, 3-2-5
  5. Jackson Houck 11, 2-1-3
  6. Ben Betker 10, 0-1-1
  7. Marco Roy (injured)

The star here is Chase, 18-years old and really stepping out. Moroz is having a fine year too, and at 19 it looks like the offense that had been rumored may be there (at least to some extent) after all. Khaira’s Everett team plays a button down style, he might not deliver as much offense as we might hope for, but plays an effective two-way style for them and that’s exactly what he’ll eventually do for the Oilers (if he makes it). Actress Sarah Chalke

I think the Oilers have more bad road to go, more painful penalty killing moments, more tinkering and are in need in more coaching of the “scram” defense. Ottawa was a better club from the beginning, I don’t think the slump ends today in the nation’s capital.

I’m sitting in my basement (blogging in the basement!) thinking about the snow and the ice and the end of what has been a beautiful fall. It’s my favorite, so many colors unique to the season, and so many memories of the kids growing up in this house. When they were young, we’d go for long walks together in the fall and winter, I swear it took longer to dress them than to go for the damn walk. My son used to lose his mittens every year–ever year! how do you even do that?–and my daughter used to want to change into something else after she got dressed (this has continued, by the way).

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about my kids, and how many seasons we have left in this house as a family. Every day it seems there’s more change, less time together, more reasons to hold on and to let go. The time has gone so quickly, and Jo and I are readying ourselves and planning out our future without them. I keep saying it’s going to be hard on her, but the truth is it’s the old man who is up early Saturday morning. I swear to God it was just yesterday we drove them home from the hospital.

We’re probably going to get another dog. Completely unrelated, of course.

371 Responses to "OILERS AT SENATORS G9, 13-14"

« Older Comments

hunter1909: Hall looks set to have a ten year career with above average injury IR time. He won’t learn how to protect himself at all.

2. OilClog says:

ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!?! THE GUY STUCK HIS FREAKING KNEE OUT! HOW DO YOU AVOID A DIRTY PLAY?!?! What is wrong with you.

3. Racki says:

ooh Denis. Quite the cross check there.

4. spoiler says:

I have a really bad feeling about this.

5. boxman says:

To hell with the punk that got Hall, Spezza should be punished every chance we get. I don’t mean cripple him but a world of pain would send a message that enough is enough. Our skill is head hunted so other teams skill has to be targeted ……..times two.

6. SK Oiler Fan says:

And there’s the dumb play of the game by Grebs.
    Hit on hall was’ t dirty. No intent there. Hall was in an awkward position

7. delooper says:

Yakupov will make you forget all about Taylor Hall.

8. spoiler says:

Smytty jams his bread and butter.

9. hags9k says:

I sure hope Hall is ok. But listening on the radio so I have no idea how bad it looked other than Stauffer saying he couldn’t push off on one side.

10. VanOil says:

Wasting a contract on Petrell seems like a better investment than Brown. Half a competent hockey player that can PK is better than a non threatening facepuncher that does not preclude the Oilers from signing more facepuchers.

11. Chris says:

12. SK Oiler Fan says:

Liking Smytty the past couple games. Nice to see. I had written him off. Looks like he can play against teams that don’t have a lot of speed.

13. spoiler says:

This has turned into a real chipfest.

We are getting destroyed on faceoffs, creamed on Corsi, but we have the lead. Need to find a way to play 20 solid panic free and brain fart free minutes.

14. OilClog says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    And there’s the dumb play of the game by Grebs.
    Hit on hall was’ t dirty. No intent there. Hall was in an awkward position

Ummm, intent was fully there. He was going to be beat, stuck his knee out to prevent from being beat. Which leads to intent. He stuck his knee out with the intent to stop Taylor Hall from beating him. Intent.

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 10s

Uhh. So OTT leads shot attempts 32-12 after 2 at evens. Oilers 27.3% CF%.

16. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: I’d say that’s probably fair at this point in regard to injury, although on this play I’m not sure you can blame Hall for taking a stride (which is what he did at impact).

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 44s

Taylor Hall (left knee) will not return to today’s game.
    Retweeted by John MacKinnon

18. boxman says:

The problem now is teams know they can run our stars with absolute impunity. I get we need the win but it seems we are having sand kicked in our faces every game and we have no answer to the bullying. We are waaay too soft and our stars are left on their own.

19. delooper says:

Doner + kolsch dinner

hunter1909: Hall plays the game without enough fear. Either he learns how to protect himself from guaranteed cheap shots which he’s now getting or else resign himself to eating rice. Lots of rice.

I’m just not convinced this was a play he could have avoided, Hunter. I know it would fit with what you’re saying, but I’m not buying. Shit happens, I see no evidence to suggest Hall deliberately put himself in harm’s way here.

21. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 44sTaylor Hall (left knee) will not return to today’s game.Retweeted by John MacKinnon

I think that would happen out of caution anyways… hopefully it is just bruised. Hopefully.

22. LMHF#1 says:

Smyth has to finish there. That was a sad, SAD attempt. He was given half the damn net.

23. spoiler says:

Chris: So why have we taken power play wizard RNH off the powerplay? I’m begining to think Eakins is too clever by half. Its starting to seem like he is staring at things and then deciding the counter intuitive answer is the correct one ….

He leads the forwards in PP TOI this game.

24. Chris says:

Would this not be a better team if we iced RNH-Hall-Eberle, put together two lines from our remaining top 9 forwards and iced a fourth line of actual hockey players instead of the Goon Squad? Not to mention if we basically left last year’s power play unit together as while there were many things broken last year the power play sure as hell wasn’t one of them.

As much as Eakins is a great interview I’m not thrilled to death with his coaching ability. It seems alot of fixing things that weren’t broken.

25. Racki says:

I believe this is the “winning games you shouldn’t win” part of MacT’s old adage… that never really seemed to pan out quite how he/we wanted though.

26. Chris says:

We had three power plays in the second where RNH didn’t take a shift.

27. jp says:

SK Oiler Fan:

Yeah, real nice to see. He’s not toast quite yet.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 44s

Taylor Hall (left knee) will not return to today’s game.
    Retweeted by John MacKinnon

Ugh. “Hoping” now for a sprained knee – out 2-3 weeks….

28. spoiler says:

Chris: We had three power plays in the second where RNH didn’t take a shift.

I think you need to rewind your PVR.

29. stephen sheps says:

Quick notes from Ottawa:
    (Please remember I haven’t been to a live game in years…)
    1) Smytty looks way better on the ice than he does on TV. It’s not even close. He’s had a very strong game.
    2) Arco might be the most positionally sound player on the team. Reads and reacts quickly and is always in the right spot
    3) Ference is also better in person than on TV. You don’t notice the little things he does well until you see him battle in the corners.
    4) The Hall hit was really dirty. Hope he’s ok.
    5) Yak is out of sorts. He’s slow and confused about where he needs to be. I wish I knew what was going on in his head other than being young and slumping for the first time in his life.
    6) Doobie looks solid again but still plays too deep in his net.
    7) Oiler fans a plenty in this rink. And we’re collectively much louder than the Ottawa fans. I love road games.
    8) The pk looks a lot better today. The PP however…

LMHF#1:

Agreed. Love his game. Needs to make that shot.

31. russ99 says:

Man, I hope Hallsy isn’t hurt too badly.

32. SK Oiler Fan says:

OilClog,

Disagree. He was trying to get a piece of his shoulder. Knee contact was incidental IMO. It’s going to be tough for Oiler fans to have an unbiased opinion on this one.

25-15 Sens sog.

34. Racki says:

OMG, The Oilers just tweeted that they’re going to have to put Taylor Hall down. :(

35. nycoil says:

I’m sitting watching this game with two friends who are doctors. Their initial reaction to seeing the hit and the angle is “we have to hope it’s not an MCL injury.” Fingers crossed. Gryba is a dirty player. Remember the hit on Eller last year.

David Johnson ‏@hockeyanalysis 3m

Ottawa out shooting Edmonton 25-15 through 2 periods. Edmonton forwards outshooting Ottawa forwards 14-13.

37. wheatnoil says:

russ99:
    Man, I hope Hallsy isn’t hurt too badly.

Good news: he could skate and therefore at least weight-bear on it after the injury. Bad news is that it seemed to hurt when he fully weight-beared off the shot. Maybe a low grade medial meniscal tear? We’ll have to see. Hopefully a short term injury.

38. russ99 says:

delooper:
    Doner + kolsch dinner

Yum! Are you in Köln?

39. VanOil says:

delooper:
    Doner + kolsch dinner

Two my favorite things. Right along with staring at Klein Blue in the Köln art gallery hung over.

Absolutely stunningly dumb play by Hemsky therre.

41. Southern Oil says:

I am so pleased that we have Brown and Gazdic on the club so they can protect the kids.

42. spoiler says:

This should be a 5 on 3.

43. russ99 says:

VanOil,

I’d kill to find someone who can make doner in Chicago. I can get it half right, they have Reissdorf at one of my neighborhood specialty beer stores.

44. Andropod says:

Gotta score now. Just gotta score.

45. VanOil says:

Please have Yak get off the Schneide on this 5 on 3.

46. Southern Oil says:

This is the game – need to score

47. spoiler says:

Let’s see what BigD has drawn up.

48. LMHF#1 says:

Okay – finish it off right here. Check one in the ‘good team’ box.

49. spoiler says:

Well at least we got a shot off… not.

50. SK Oiler Fan says:

horrible 2nd call there. have to take advantage here. guarantee sens get 2 more pps because situational officiating

51. delooper says:

russ99: Yum! Are you in Köln?

Close! Bonn.

52. VanOil says:

russ99,

Chicago Kolsh was surprisingly good this summer they just need the little glasses and lots of them

53. Derek says:

Wow this is pathetic

54. spoiler says:

Fucking pathetic.

55. LMHF#1 says:

What is wrong with Eakins? Yakupov on the 5-on-3 is an absolute no brainer and he waits until the end.

Pathetic. No plan. No execution. No nothing.

56. Southern Oil says:

THis is pathetic.

57. VanOil says:

This is the worst 5 on 3 ever.

58. boxman says:

Wow!!!! It is hard to believe we are this bad with all our talent. WTH!

59. Andropod says:

Ugh.

60. delooper says:

boxman:
    Wow!!!! It is hard to believe we are this bad with all our talent. WTH!

It’s the unearned 5-on-3 guilt wearing on them.

61. whale says:

Fucking boo

62. Pablo Aimar says:

What a joke. Yakupov has the best shot on the team by a MILE. He has one of the best shots in the entire league. The pp should be built around him. He doesn’t even the see the ice. Watch them lose now.

63. nycoil says:

That was the worst 5-on-3 I’ve seen in a long time. What has Eakins done to our PP? Painful to watch.

64. Derek says:

I’m gonna need a beer for this PK.

65. Masamax says:

It’s clear that whatever the coach is trying to teach on special teams is not worth it. Both the PK and PP have been brutal all season, and almost 10 games in, something needs to change. The team has been consistently been unable to get into the zone on every single power play I’ve seen; the rare scoring chance they get comes via a faceoff win, or a rare rush. But posession in the zone when they get it has been awful too. They are standing around. Look at that last 5 on 3 there; RNH circled around and the rest of the time just stood still. It’s pathetic, and frustrating to watch.

66. SK Oiler Fan says:

Not sure we can blame Eakins for that PP. Surely he didn’t tell them to loose every puck battle for the next 2 min.
    I can see this isn’t going to end well. They’ve lost their legs again in the 3rd. All up to DD

67. tcho says:

Dearie me that pp was terrible.

That powerplay needs a Toby Petersen. (runs)

69. Henry says:

Who is in charge of the PP now?

Was it Krueger last year?

70. OilBuzz says:

Oilers look like shit. What a recovery by Dubnyk… Now if only they could both play well at the same time. It would be a very Oiler thing to lose this one now.

71. Racki says:

Gazdic-Acton-Brown would make a more dangerous 5-on-3 pp.

Petry has enjoyed a wonderful game today.

73. Andropod says:

77 is one big D.

74. spoiler says:

What the fuck is the 4th line doing on the ice!

75. spoiler says:

Short shift, thank Gord.

76. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler:
    What the fuck is the 4th line doing on the ice!

It’s the mark of a good fourth line that you’re angry just to see it on the ice in the third period.

77. Derek says:

Petry has enjoyed a wonderful game today.

I like Belov today too. He stops like three clearing attempts per shift in the offensive zone, still a little too relaxed in his own end though.

78. D says:

Opinions Please. Are the Oilers winning so far because of underlying fundamentals, because of Dubnyk standing on his head, or a combination of both?

79. OilBuzz says:

D,

Looks like Dubnyk just might steal them this game.

80. delooper says:

D:
    Opinions Please.Are the Oilers winning so far because of underlying fundamentals, because of Dubnyk standing on his head, or a combination of both?

This victory is brought to you by koelsch.

81. Derek says:

D:

Dubynk standing on his head.

82. "Steve Smith" says:

D,

Puck luck. The fundamentals haven’t been great this game (though I think score effects are making it look worse than it is). Dubnyk’s been as good as he could be. But basically, the dice are developing a memory.

I’m fine with that. The Oilers winning a game they shouldn’t, with Dubnyk winding up with some improbably high save percentage (note to the hockey Gords: I’m not saying the S word) would be a good thing for this team right now. Then it just comes down to what happened with Hall.

83. VanOil says:

delooper,

Sounds like you are doing advanced stats with the ticks on your coaster.

Eakins channelling his inner Randy Carlyle. My Corsi is tingling. Waiting for a few statheads heads to explode will all the extreme mean reversion happening tonight, An outlier game.

I don’t think Eakins has a clue about how to develop a player like Yakupov. Gagner can’t get back soon enough. Gagner (the big-brained passer) and Yakupov are extremely well-suited to play with each other during Yakupov’s development phase. Gagner’s give-and-go-and-giveback game is exactly what Yak needs for his own give-and-go game.

85. Southern Oil says:

Interesting to watch Yak there with Ebs. Not sure Yak knew what to do.

86. jp says:

Great.

87. VanOil says:

That was “Steve Smiths” fault for the “S”

88. Derek says:

We hoped for the best but…

89. LMHF#1 says:

So, has Dubnyk just lost any and all spatial awareness?

Keeps it alive with his stick then puts it in his own net?

90. "Steve Smith" says:

VanOil:
    Tha t was “Steve Smiths” fault for the “s”

Sorry.

91. Racki says:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

92. spoiler says:

Was hoping Doobie would get the clean sheet.

93. tcho says:

Man. Did Edmonton trade Babe Ruth or something?

94. VanOil says:

“Steve Smith”,

I forgive you the Gords are against us and we were all thinking it

95. "Steve Smith" says:

Yak with an empty-netter. I’m calling it now.

96. D says:

OilBuzz,
    delooper,
    Derek,
    "Steve Smith",

Thanks everyone. I was also wondering about the interaction between Yak and Eberle. Looking back at the first goal, especially the celebration after Eberle scored, it didn’t look like Eberle was enthusiastic about interacting with Yak. Hope there’s nothing going on in the dressing room.

97. delooper says:

Dubnyk does not deserve a shut out, sad to say.

98. Racki says:

I curse anyone that was talking about the Oilers winning before this was even close to over. Bastards. :P

99. Derek says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Yak with an empty-netter.I’m calling it now.

Given the on ice results following your last comment I’m gonna need you to take that back please.

100. Southern Oil says:

delooper:
    Dubnyk does not deserve a shut out, sad to say.

We deserve the shutout!

101. Masamax says:

Has anyone else started to get frustrated with Eakins’ choices with his players? His choice of when and where to ice certain players, and general usage (whether on PK or PP) screams of someone who has no idea about what his players are good at. It reminds me of the square peg in the round hole jokes we used to make five or six years ago.

102. "Steve Smith" says:

Derek,

It’s reverse reverse psychology; I’m screwing with the Gords’ heads.

103. Derek says:

Perron is like DSF on skates.

104. SK Oiler Fan says:

Eberle, Petry, Perron, Smyth have been good today

105. delooper says:

Racki:

I was talking about the Oilers winning before the game began.

So do you think they call up Omark or Eager?

107. "Steve Smith" says:

Derek:
    Perron is like DSF on skates.

Beautiful.

(Do you think this blog could get Pajaarvi-in-the-comments-section for him?)

108. tcho says:

Derek,

Good one.

109. LMHF#1 says:

So I see the whistles have been swallowed.

I hope Belov goes crazy on someone after we get an ENG.

110. Ribs says:

Fell asleep there for a bit…What happened with Grebeshkov? Has he really only played just less than seven minutes?

111. VanOil says:

Eakins constant line juggling is not so much changing things up as keeping things confused.

112. russ99 says:

I know this has been a pretty ugly game, but jeez we need a win, ugly or no.

Gotta love the hip hop soundtrack in the arena in Ottawa. What happened to metal and “Cotton-eye Joe”?

godot10:
    So do you think they call up Omark or Eager?

Neither. Hamilton. We need another Marlie, obvously.

113. OilBuzz says:

Eberle and Petry have been absolutely incredible

114. RexLibris says:

Grebeshkov’s stats look good tonight. 26.7 CF% and +2.3% CFrel.

115. spoiler says:

Thank you Gords. Thank you.

116. striatic says:

godot10:
    So do you think they call up Omark or Eager?

Pitlick.

Split the difference.

117. delooper says:

Ha! That RNH goal was all Yakupov.

118. tcho says:

Thank Gord. We needed that.

119. LMHF#1 says:

Send out the goons. Now. Time to break legs.

120. jp says:

Finally!!

Nuge!!

Huge game by Dubnyk today too.

121. Southern Oil says:

F U Senators!

122. bookje says:

Hey – we hoped for the best and got the best minus Taylor Hall, is that like always?

123. wordbird says:

NUUUUUUUUUUGE!

124. delooper says:

About bloody time!

125. spoiler says:

Doobie looked pretty emotional there at the end.

126. bookje says:

Why doesn’t Dubnyk ever steal a game for the Oilers?

Note to haters – be sure to forget this game in all future analysis.

127. RexLibris says:

Is it just me, or have the Oilers generally had better games in the few appearances where they have been outshot?

128. russ99 says:

bookje,

Yup. Hope this ends all the goalie nonsense, at least until the draft, where we need to pick up two.

129. SK Oiler Fan says:

fin rights. great block by Eberle. Good for DD. Last 5 min I’d say the Oilers controlled most of the play. Hemsky, Eberle, Perron , Petry, and Belov finished strong

130. "Steve Smith" says:

bookje,

We’re not out of the woods yet – once NHL head office reviews the Sens’ goal and sees how soft it was, they might make it count triple.

131. Old School G says:

(Exhale)

132. gogliano says:

They might also give the Sens a couple goals for the abysmal 5 – 3.

I’m tiring of Eakins. I already don’t trust a man with that hairdo, and his choices are starting to look questionable.

133. "Steve Smith" says:

Old School G:
    (Exhale)

Best one word summary of the game I’ve seen, for sure.

134. Derek says:

bookje:
    Why doesn’t Dubnyk ever steal a game for the Oilers?

Note to haters – be sure to forget this game in all future analysis.

You know damn well the narrative after this is gonna be Dubnyk letting in a softie to get the Senators back into the game.

135. JAG-041 says:

I love the way Labarbara came over to Dubnyk after the game and seemed like the happiest guy on the ice for Dubnyk’s win
    that is the kind of thing Dubnyk needs
    almost brought a tear to my eyes
    the brotherhood!

Old School G:
    (Exhale)

A little wordy, but I agree. :-)

137. Mr DeBakey says:

bookje: Why doesn’t Dubnyk ever steal a game for the Oilers?

Also
    He didn’t look very competitive to me
    Not much of a tryer

138. wheatnoil says:

So, by my count, there’s two games this year that the Oilers lost but should have won. This is one going the other way. If Dubnyk can steal one more at some point this year, he’ll be even-steven. Good for him, he needed that one, as did the Oilers as a whole.

Now they have a couple days off to work on some fundamentals. Their 5×5 play has dropped off in the last couple games and that powerplay really needs some work. Also, for those who are praying to the Hockey Gods tonight, please throw in an extra few lines about Taylor Hall.

On a related note, could we please find a way to keep Arcobello on this roster WITHOUT injuring one of the skilled players?

139. Colonel Obvious says:

Well they didn’t deserve that.

It is amazing how for a team with supposedly a lot of skill, how bad they are at making and taking passes.

They also lose a lot of puck battles.

So this win doesn’t increase my confidence any. They need to be much, much, better.

140. wheatnoil says:

Colonel Obvious:

So this win doesn’t increase my confidence any.They need to be much, much, better.

Some of their losses this year gave me more confidence than this win, so I think we should take what we can get and hope it evens out over time.

______

Also,

"It feels great… we weren't losing this one, not today." – Devan Dubnyk, wearing #Oilers player of the game military jacket— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) October 19, 2013

141. Hammers says:

Getting worried over our “D” . McT still needs to make a trade . We have players in numbers but it is our achiles heel every game . Justin still making mistakes but gets 20+ minutes . Petry great game & Smid ok . Ference & Belov ok.. Grebs + player who basically stunk so no improvement over Nultz . We need that other “D” so ph Philly or Toronto .

142. VanOil says:

On a day with an Oilers victory and a possibly career limiting and season destroying injury to Hall I am drawn to some knew found knowledge.

The Universal Law of Urination. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24425-universal-law-of-urination-found-in-mammals.html#.UmLhm_nrz3t If I had DMW whit I would somehow be able to link it to the season so far. It combines stats, physics and fluvial dynamics and compensates for size differences, something like how Perron plays hockey. (and like the Oilers the video evidence is distrubing http://youtu.be/9jCoo6rooCM)

It is nice to see Dubby’s SV% recover.

We hoped that this combined with our improved fancy stats would see the win/loss record rebound.

Unfortunately the fancy stats are regressing to reflect the record.

But hey Perron is a Piss cutter and so is Eberle, Nuge is healthy and awesome, Belov can play and so can Petry.

Maybe when Gagner is back Eakins will free the Yak but waiting for Hall to come back will be a kick in the sack. (edit sorry)

143. wheatnoil says:

Hammers:

I thought Belov was pretty strong this game by eye.

144. jp says:

Masamax:
    It’s clear that whatever the coach is trying to teach on special teams is not worth it. Both the PK and PP have been brutal all season, and almost 10 games in, something needs to change. The team has been consistently been unable to get into the zone on every single power play I’ve seen; the rare scoring chance they get comes viaa faceoff win, or a rare rush. But posession in the zone when they get it has been awful too. They are standing around. Look at that last 5 on 3 there; RNH circled around and the rest of the time just stood still. It’s pathetic, and frustrating to watch.

I like how Eakins took the early timeout to plan the 5 on 3.

Either the players aren’t executing the plan, or the plan they’re executing is terribly flawed. Maybe both. Regardless, the PP is a disturbing issue at the moment.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 2m

“PK was good. We had some encouraging signs there. But our power play was out of sync.” – Coach Eakins on #Oilers special teams

Retweeted
    Favorite

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 3m

“I don’t care what kind of team you are. When you get goaltending like that, you’re going to win hockey games.” – Coach Eakins

Retweeted
    Favorite

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 4m

Coach Eakins says post-game Taylor Hall’s knee injury will likely “be more than a day or two” but no official diagnosis yet.

Retweeted
    Favorite

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 9m

“It was a huge game for us and we knew that. We had let too many points get away from us on this road trip.” – Nugent-Hopkins
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 12m

“It’s really easy to start doubting yourself, but I know I can do the job. I just have to go out there and be myself.” – Dubnyk

Retweeted
    Favorite

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 13m

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 18m

Huge game by Dubnyk today as well, stopping 35 Ottawa shots to secure the #Oilers victory! 72 saves in two games for #40.

146. jp says:

wheatnoil:

Also,
    “It feels great… we weren’t losing this one, not today.” – Devan Dubnyk, wearing #Oilers player of the game military jacket— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) October 19, 2013

That’s great.

JAG-041:
    that is the kind of thing Dubnyk needs
    almost brought a tear to my eyes
    the brotherhood!

That’s nice too.

Having a starting goalie could make a real difference.

147. oliveoilers says:

Eberle’s performance today, if he can stay consistent, is why he will be worth his contract and be the possibly the next skipper.

148. G Money says:

Thoughts on the game:

- For a change, nice to win a game we should have lost.

- Dubynk has reverted to his regular self. It was a four game slump. Any trade or signing as a result of his slump would be stupid. As I said in my posts over and over and over. I TOLD YOU SO.

- Man those guys over at C&B are so right about Eberle. Not an elite player. Will never live up to his contract.

- Is it possible to develop an allergy to shooting? Cause if so, the Oilers have. Although the Oil were rightfully outshot and outchanced, I think the Corsi’s will look even more biased than “possession reality” in this one just because, other than Eberle, RNH, and a few times Yak, the Oilers tried to pass the puck into the net. Again. And again. And again. On the PP. On a 5 on 3 PP. I am hoarse and my wife is angry right now due to the volumes of swearing and shouting.

- I’ve always been a fan, but defensively Hemsky is awful right now. Counted at least a half dozen chances caused by his poor play

- I’m hoping the Hall injury is just a hyperextension. The fact that he tried to play on it again is a good sign. Although he was helped off the ice, if you look carefully you could see that once he was in the hallway, he was walking unaided (limping yes, but unaided).

149. Numenius says:

Nuge had a really solid game too.

Good to see the Oil stick it to the whiny homer announcers.

150. boxman says:

Cult of hockey has a picture up of Eric Grybas hit on Hall He will be suspended .

Oilers first regulation win comes with the goalie stealing a game they should have lost and 4 is probably out for at least 5 games (my guess is he’s back for Saturday Nov 2nd vs. DET)

Standard.

Luck evens out over time.

Its never pretty to watch either side of it.

14 is the best Oiler right now, and its not close.

19 needs to play with more urgency.

He moseys way too much.

Moseys to the wall on the PP and it gets by him.

Moseys to puck with a forechecker bearing down so he backhands the puck and bails.

I love 19 and think he has skills that few do, but Eakins said he coaches 23 individuals. He needs to coach this kid to skate like he can when he needs to.

I hate moseying.

Also,

Grebs was mostly invisible, which is good I think (except for the cross check)

2 is playing like Z. Michalek. Nothing fancy, but rock fucking solid in every aspect of the game.

Get him under contract at a good price for a long time.

94-27-83 should be a line forever. Love they way they work and 83 always does best with guys who go to the net without the puck and their stick on the ice.

Good to book a win.

Eberle, Nuge and Belov were the only guys above 40% CF%

oilers overall 26.6% at 5×5. This was a win given by the hockey Gods.

153. Racki says:

Glad to see Dubnyk win this one, and get the Military Jacket. I really wish he would have gotten the shutout though.. what a crappy goal (not his fault) to lose the shutout on. Just a weird one.

154. VanOil says:

Katie’s reasons to love hockey

Not really relevant to Canadians but any chance to watch Kate Nolan talk hockey is worth it.

155. VanOil says:

More of Fox sports covering hockey.

Kings Ice Crew Select Their Bikinis

156. prairieschooner says:

Woodguy,

Woodguy

I believe the word is Lollygags

I did not know that Perron was a much of a shit disturber as he is showing loving that trade even more!

157. Ribs says:

Looks like a whacky 6:55 for Grebeshkov. Oilers scored twice within his first five shifts and then he plays four shifts in a row where the Oilers took penalties (one himself). He played one more shift and then the night was over for him as he didn’t play in the third.

Didn’t hear anyone ask Eakins in post-game about it…Any news?

158. stevezie says:

Just got home from the game. Ottawa Arena traffic is murder.
    I doubt I saw anything you guys didn’t, but just in case i will say Yak’s decisions at times are so strange I can’t even call them bad; they have crossed over into the bizarre.

Other than that we were they more skilled team and we sucked. Eakins has a job to do.

159. stevezie says:

I thought he was their best player.

prairieschooner:
    Woodguy,

Woodguy

I believe the word is Lollygags

Lollygaggers!!!!

161. justDOit says:

Well that was a Hall-ow victory.

162. theres oil in virginia says:

boxman:
    Cult of hockey has a picture up of Eric Grybas hit on HallHe will be suspended .

If he’s not, then the NHL’s disciplinary system is fucked up. Oh wait, it is fucked up! We’ll see.

163. Numenius says:

prairieschooner:
    Woodguy,

Woodguy

I believe the word is Lollygags

It was hilarious how the broadcasters were tut-tutting Perron for snowing Lehner.

“Perron’s been in the league long enough to know you’re not supposed to do that” (said with a moralistic voice)

OF COURSE HE KNOWS! HE WAS DOING IT ON PURPOSE TO BE A PAIN IN THE ASS!

Loved it.

Such things were not among Paajarvi’s many strengths.

Perron had a wonderful game. He’s such a piss ant, he’s going to be a crowd favorite for years.

165. stevezie says:

I thought he was their second best player, and my new favourite Oiler.

stevezie:
    Just got home from the game. Ottawa Arena traffic is murder.

This is why the downtown arena district in Edmonton is going to be the bomb, once people get used to urban party time. Suburban arenas are the absolute suck.

Broda (Klerfbom, Marincin) first AHL point for Klefbom.

168. Dead Cat Bounce says:

He’s like a DSF on skates.

I read that somewhere :)

169. jp says:

Broda (Klerfbom, Marincin) first AHL point for Klefbom.

And first point of the season for Marincin too, no? He hasn’t had a particularly strong start based on the boxcars.

170. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Broda (Klerfbom, Marincin) first AHL point for Klefbom.

Ummm… there’s a new thread up!

171. Ribs says:

spoiler,

LT clearly into the sauce. “Klerfbom” lol.

« Older Comments