OILERS MAKE MOVES

The Edmonton Oilers made some roster moves before leaving on a jet plane this morning, calling up Phil the Thrill Larsen (photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved) and sending down Brandon Davidson, while also asking Denis Gresbeshkov to spend some time in Oklahoma City getting in NHL game shape.

I don’t believe the Oilers are settled on the blue (we’ve talked about this) and it does appear that Anton Belov has passed Ladisvlav Smid on the depth chart.

1. J Schultz 25:25 (4:00 PP)
  2. Belov 22:08 (3:24 PP)
  3. Ference 19:34 (2:11 PK, 0:57 PP)
  4. Petry 18:40 (2:11 SH)
  5. Smid 14:41 (0:38 SH)
  6. N Schultz 13:10 (0:38 SH)

The 5-6 guys are making $3.5M each, and the guy called up today has a $1.025M cap hit. NHL teams are always looking for defenders, suspect there’s a market for Smid should the team decide to continue playing him 15 minutes a night.

The Barons play tomorrow night and Sunday, and their blueline gets a makeover with Davidson back and Grebeshkov’s special brand of chaos heading down south. Marincin, Fedun, Hunt would seem to be locks, and Oscar Klefbom is healthy again (meaning Martin Gernat and David Musil may be munching popcorn).

53 Responses to "OILERS MAKE MOVES"

1. "Steve Smith" says:

OH LOOK. LT’S TRYING TO TRADE SMID. I AM SHOCKED.

2. Fixall with Rexall says:

Yes, that must be the most expensive 3rd pairing in the league, and Smid is a third pairing guy. Just goes to show how much better our defense is this year compared to last to be able to push Smid down the chart. MacT deserves credit for this. Now he needs to look at getting a third pairing that doesn’t cost 7 million. Lots of options open up if he can. One or both are gone this year. The Risk vs Reward of having Larsen on the team over either of them in terms of offense and salary is a no brainier.

3. Mr DeBakey says:

Looking forward to Grebs getting a couple of games under his belt then coming up & sparking the Oilers’ D line.

Just as he was just before he was injured.

i can hardly wait.

4. Colonel Obvious says:

On the radio today someone called in to Gregor and asked him what he thought about a Yakupov for Price deal, and Gregor laughed at the deal from the perspective of the Canadians. “Of course, the Oilers would do that, but the Canadians never would.”

I knew that the mainstream was hopelessly ignorant of player and contract evaluation but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such a dramatic example.

There is no need for bizarro world when real life is this strange.

5. Melman says:

“Steve Smith”,

Well you can’t expect LT to want to move Schultz Sr. now can you!?!

6. Racki says:

You have to remember that Gregor (and or Brownlee ) also came up with the Yak for Clarkson idea.

7. Fixall with Rexall says:

Maybe Fedun will finally get in an NHL game. Would love to see him get his shot on that third pairing.

8. Colonel Obvious says:

Racki:

I had forgotten that one. Again, when these are your leading voices who needs satire?

9. Logan91 says:

Racki:

Hahaha Gregor will never live that down. He was extremely adamant in pointing out that it was only used as an example after all of ON ripped him a new one.

10. hunter1909 says:

Can’t wait until Yaks gets run out of town: right before breaking out as a 50 goal scorer.

Following Oilers: Like travelling in the rockies in a car driven by teenagers.

11. Jon K says:

“Steve Smith”:
    OH LOOK.LT’S TRYING TO TRADE SMID.I AM SHOCKED.

Admit it LT, now you’re just doing it to get a rise out of Steve. Haha.

hunter1909:

Following Oilers: Like travelling in the rockies in a car driven by teenagers.

13. SK Oiler Fan says:

It’s amazing that one team could compile so many chaos d men. Imagine one game with this D lineup:
    Belov, J Shultz
    Grebs, N Shultz
    Larsen, trade Smid for MAB if LT insists on trading Smid

Corsi can’t count that high.

Yes the D corps are improved over last year. They were the worst D corps in the West after all. Still lacking Dmen with a more complete game though. Petry is as close to a complete D as they have, but seems to be inconsistent this year. Still a mountain of work for MacT yet on the blue IMO.

Platzer with an assist tonight, now 8, 4-3-7

15. jp says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    Belov, J Shultz
    Grebs, N Shultz
    Larsen, trade Smid for MAB if LT insists on trading Smid

Corsi can’t count that high.

You don’t need to go outside the system. Just call up Marincin and Gernat and there’s your 7.

16. FastOil says:

One of Marincin, Bomb or Nurse will be on the team next year. That is fine if they are third pairing. Liquidate all players ufa that aren’t already signed and anybody with side burns or hang up your skates so we can get on with this.

It isn’t that complicated. Hard but not complicated.

17. jp says:

Fixall with Rexall:

The 2nd pairing is making $2.8M though, so it kind of evens out. And they’ll be making a lot closer to $7M next year (if Belov can stick in the top 4). Schultz is UFA, so he’s gone at the deadline or before. Smid is overpaid for the 3rd pairing and brings no offense, but he’s a rock back there. It sure would be nice to have him around to help out rookie Klefbom/Nurse/Marincin when they arrive (or Larsen for that matter).

18. FPB94 says:

I’d trade Nick Schultz much more before Ladislav Smid.

As for Price: IMO I don’t think it’s that dumb but it would leave the Canadians without what they need (a N1 goalie) to get more of what they already have (young talented forward)

19. Gerta Rauss says:

LT
    How did K-bomb look in his first game? The box score shows he played the 2nd game last weekend.

Did the Tend the Farm guys have anything to say about how he looked?(or Willis for that matter, I believe he is down there)

20. Gerta Rauss says:

FPB94:
    I’d trade Nick Schultz much more before Ladislav Smid.

A thousand times yes

Gerta Rauss:
    LT

I spoke to Eric Rodgers and he said he looked good, played well and skated well. I think it’ll take some time to get up to speed but suspect he gets a cup of coffee this season in the NHL.

22. leadfarmer says:

Gerta Rauss,

But Smid would actually give you something back. I dont think you could give N. Schultz away, at least not until the deadline

leadfarmer:
    Gerta Rauss,

But Smid would actually give you something back.I dont think you could give N. Schultz away, at least not until the deadline

As for Smid, I’m not suggesting trading him, but if you’re paying a guy that much to play 15 minutes a night there might be a point where you consider it.

24. Ryan says:

Hey everyone,

I’m just dropping in to share my often off-topic tangential rant. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Oilers and I was there when Paul Lorieau turned the mike to the crowd to sign the anthem …. and again when they tried it with him and video and the season opener….

Anyway, sample size and all, improved shot counts and all.. this is not a playoff bound hockey team. not even close… In fact, I’ll eat my shorts if this team makes the playoffs this season.

These Oilers are still a collective turnover machine that makes too many defensive lapses to hope to make the 2nd season.

25. Gerta Rauss says:

leadfarmer,

I think Nultz could be moved in season-we might have to take some salary back but if we could find something useful(a bottom 6 NHL’er) I’d move him along. Injuries happen, and the market for D men is volatile. And maybe I’m optimistic but if Douglas Murray can get two 2nd round picks at last years deadline, I think Nultz can fetch a 2nd rounder at this years deadline.

I’m in no hurry to move Smid-I only consider it if we’ve got cap problems, and 4 D men clearly out playing him on a nightly basis,and I don’t see that right now.

Jackson Houck starting to wake up, an assist tonight.

Lowetide: This seems to be a growing sentiment, but I can’t see it. MacTavish can’t get full value for him as he is, so why bother? When he breaks out offensively everyone will want him, but why give him up?

This city’s hockey fans have never irritated me more than now.

Yak’s 52 games into his career, doesn’t have his Kaptain holding his hand and is a little lost and everyone wants to throw him away.

The team was run by the other brother Darryl on Prozac for 4 years and no one said a word, and now they choose to lose their minds?

28. BlacqueJacque says:

Monahan with the go-ahead goal in the third. 5 points in 4 games for the rookie.

Moroz with a goal (EN) now 9, 8-4-12 E

30. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Schultz is the kind of guy who’ll fetch you a 3rd rd pick at the deadline. Defensemen with expiring contracts never have more value than at the deadline.

31. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: This city’s hockey fans have never irritated me more than now.

Other brother Darryl.

Beautiful. And I’m with you.

*slow clap*

32. RexLibris says:

Edler suspended three games for his head shot on Hertl.

33. RexLibris says:

Holy Hannah, Frontenacs taking the boots to the Wolves tonight 10-1. Our good friend Franky Palazzese lets in four goals on 13 shots in 8:52. The next sucker let in 6 on 24.

Good night for the home crowd in Kingston.

34. RexLibris says:

Had a look at that Cgy/NJ game over at extraskater. The Flames grossly outplayed the Devils near the end in shot attempts. Looking over the game log it pretty much writes the script of a team working its butt off getting six or eight shot attempts before scoring.

May not be sustainable, but it sure is gratifying for fans to watch that kind of effort and consistency.

35. SK Oiler Fan says:

RexLibris,

Eakins should show film from that game. Other than when Jagr’s line was on the Flames won almost every race to the puck and most of the 50/50 battles. Forget this possession and swarm crap, just out work the other team and be willing to go to the not so fun areas.
    You know, I have yet to see a single Oiler work his balls off like Pitlick did for most of the preseason. Sad.

36. Dead Cat Bounce says:

RexLibris:

When does your head explode?

The Flames are significantly better than the Oilers despite your year long mocking of that franchise.

37. Dead Cat Bounce says:

In other news….Brad Boyes, who is playing for $1M a season in Florida, is 2G 5A 7P on the season.

In even more other news, Tyler Seguin with 2G 2A in tonight’s Dallas win over Winnipeg.

Watch out for the Stars.

38. 719 says:

I think Smid might have tweaked something, or injured something, and that is why his minutes have been reduced. Eakins mentioned a few days ago he was having a “maintenance day”

If the Oilers do trade Smid I feel bad for the guy. He took a home town discount and everyone wanted him to stay when he re-signed.

Woodguy has hit the proverbial nail on the head when it comes to Yakupov, 52 games in and still miles to go before we know what we got.

39. BlacqueJacque says:

719,

Smid’s not going anywhere. This team is trying to get better, not trade talent away.

40. kinger says:

Reading through these comment (and the ones in the thread from earlier today) I can’t help but be disappointed. This team could just as easily be 3-1.

If any regular wants to make a bet with me, I’ll wager $ 10.00 that the Oilers make the playoffs this year. Winner can either take the cash or I’ll donate it to the charity of their choice. I stuck to my word with a bet I made with Woodguy that Hemsky would not sign with the Oilers (I made a donation to his suggested charity and posted a screenshot of the receipt).

This is a very good hockey team, and they certainly have a better than 50% chance to make the playoffs.

* By regular I mean someone who has been posting here for at least a couple years and has a recognizable name

Kinger: I’d take the bet, but I too have the Oilers making the playoffs.

42. "Steve Smith" says:

kinger,

I’ll take it. I’m not positive that I’ll win that bet, but I think it’s considerably more likely than not that I will.

43. Fixall with Rexall says:

Every western team won tonight. Sigh.

44. jp says:

RexLibris: I think you might be able to be a little more bullish on N. Schultz’s value at the deadline. Douglas Murray had a surprising return last year in a deep draft year and Schultz is somewhere in his range and possesses those famously tantalizing qualities GMs love to overvalue: character and experience.

I wonder if that’s why they gave him a letter – makes it seem like he’s a valued member of the team, thereby increasing his trade value. Not likely, but I’m still hopeful that he’ll fetch a 2nd at the deadline (which MacT will promptly turn into 3 Canadians and 2 Russians).

45. Hammers says:

BlacqueJacque:
    719,

Smid’s not going anywhere.This team is trying to get better, not trade talent away.

46. BlacqueJacque says:

Hammers: Guess what you have to trade something worthwhile to get something better ( Perron for Magnus ). Smid has value & N.schultz may get you a 2nd probably a 3rd at the deadline . If there is a team willing to move a better “D” than Smid ( plus something ) you do the deal .

I just don’t think there’s a reasonable deal out there for Smid.

47. Lucinius says:

If this team trades Smid without getting an even better player (and not by the mainstream media’s perspective, thank you) I will probably have to.. well, let’s just say body bags would be an investment. I’m, of course, exaggerating, but the point stands. Smid is the team’s best defensive defenseman. has been for some time. He’s also the meanest. Also blocks shots (and far more often than not, blocks them properly). yes, his offensive upside long ago vanished into a black hole, but god damn.

Trading Smid without getting a defenseman back who’s superior in the defensive zone would be one of the dumbest things this team could do; I’d argue Smid is more important to this team than Eberle, even (and no, I’m not saying Smid is a better play than Eberle, merely that the Oilers have people who can replicate what Eberle does.. and no one who can do what Smid does — I’m not yet sold on Ference’s up and down results).

I swear, this team and its fan base want to trade all my favourite players. Constant barrage. One’s already gone (though the Oilers look to have won the deal, at least), and Smid, Hemsky, Yakupov are constantly in the trade-bait section.

Next thing you know they’ll sign Ranford just to trade him and PISS ME OFF!

Ahem.

48. bassguy says:

Hi, I agree with woodguy!…take a pill, Im not sure what kind? everyone is a leader and coach here? man,its just 4 games…please let them get comfy…you guys want to trade this guy for that guy..everything is do or die..screw that mentality….I think this team is sooo much better than what I have seen in the last few years…yes, we have been thru lean years but this is really looking so much better…if all you guys that write in this blog were really together, and you actually knew what you were complaining and writing about, I might agree..but you have just a marginal idea whats going on?..really, think about that, you really don’t have a clue beyond being a passionate blow hard other wise you would be coaching the frickin team

49. bassguy says:

furthrer more(now i’m getting into it?!) this is a different system?!…does anyone notice this? it willtake time when the “skilled forwards” can take advantage of this “swarm” defense..hemsky already knows it. he was outstanding in the montreal game by my eyes..the swarm being 3 guys on the puck in the defensive and offensive zones….yes, you leave yourself vulnerable if you don’t get the puck..I think that’s why its kind of loosey-goosey and a bit of chaos right now..?

50. cabbiesmacker says:

kinger:

I’ll take that bet. Didn’t share the optimism over MacFly’s hiring and outside of the Perron acquisition thought he did very little to improve the teams lot.

Can I triple down using my other aliases, bookje and DSF?

51. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: This city’s hockey fans have never irritated me more than now.

I think it’s just that the expectations are getting higher for the team. On the whole, people are easily swayed by the wind.

Yak plays with more intensity than any other Oiler. You don’t simply trade that away. All of these young guys produce in spurts. It’ll come and then you won’t have to hear this crap any more.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp: (which MacT will promptly turn into 3 Canadians and 2 Russians).

Reminds me of this:

There’s your Cancon for the day LT.

53. dangilitis says:

I actually for once agree with DSF – I can’t believe Oilers could have signed Raymond, Boyes for the 4th line instead of MacIntyre and Gazdic