OILERS RECALL RYAN HAMILTON

Edmonton recalled winger Ryan Hamilton today, and one imagines he’ll be inserted into the lineup either tomorrow night or on Monday. If the Oilers plan to move Taylor Hall back to LW, this makes no sense; if they plan on leaving him at center then bringing Hamilton up makes sense.

POSSIBLE LINEUP (C-L-R)

1. Taylor Hall-Jesse Joensuu-Ales Hemsky
  2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins-David Perron-Jordan Eberle
  3. Boyd Gordon-Ryan Hamilton/Ryan Smyth-Nail Yakupov
  4. Will Acton-Luke Gazdic-Mike Brown

smyth common

I’m not at all certain how this ends, but I don’t think Ryan Smyth is going to make it through the season. It gives me no pleasure to say it, but if we see more games like Tuesday this may not last past Christmas. That’s going to be a tough conversation, and Smyth’s a proud guy so this may not end well.

On the other hand, Smyth may have a strong game in Vancouver and deliver a solid performance if inserted farther down the lineup. The Hamilton callup means LW may be in for a change, and the Oilers LW’s (Smyth, Perron, Joensuu, Gazdic) from game one had a solid game save 94. Something to keep in mind in the coming days.

107 Responses to "OILERS RECALL RYAN HAMILTON"

1. Andropod says:

I cant see Smyth replacing anyone but Brown.
    But Smyth > Brown. Is Hamilton> Smyth?

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“I think we’re going to see Taylor Hall at center for the forseeable future. There’s no other reason to recall Ryan Hamilton, at least that I can see (there could be an undisclosed injury or a trade forthcoming).”

It’s possible that they stick with the lines as before but platoon Gazdic and/or Brown with Hamilton.

That would be a more traditional set-up, right?

I mentioned the other day an odd thing about running so tight (20 men) is that you have to play your goon every night… in our case, both!

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Barons’ new lines for tonight:

Looks like Tremblay in for Hamilton, not Eager (he may not be in town yet).

And, frustratingly Jones gets the push over Pitlick.

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Glad there is an extra body with the club. Hamilton is a fine choice given the options. I still would have preferred Omark.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Barons’ new lines for tonight:

Looks like Tremblay in for Hamilton, not Eager (he may not be in town yet).

And, frustratingly Jones gets the push over Pitlick.

Wait… looking at that again, also looks like Hunt is in for Musil.

6. David says:

For the love of everything good can Yakupov get good line mates and 15+mins a night?!

David:

Dear David,

Signed,

Fairness.

8. David says:

I understand the idea to make Hall a centermen. Strength up the middle… I just worry that we’re hampering our most effective players’ effectiveness.

9. Kris11 says:

I want Yak and Hemsky together now. Shooter and passer. Veteran and kid. Joensuu to cycle the puck and drive the net for RNH.

Yak-Hall-Hemsky
    Joensuu-RNH-Eberle
    Smyth-Gordon-Perron
    Hamilton-Acton-Toughness

When Gagner comes back, there are lots of options.

10. David says:

Every game Smyth gets more minutes than Yak makes me baffled. I know I’m not a one hundredth the coach Eakins is but sometimes the right thing is just so obvious. Like when a football team on fourth and inches decides not to QB sneak but run a shotgun play… Smyth is not useless but the play dies on his stick more than anyone else’s outside of the 4th line. That should tell us something. And I grew up thinking Smyth was a legend. He’s just done now.

11. Andropod says:

I just want the Oil to win the next game. Without any more injuries. Weiss and Kassian becoming acquainted with Gazdic would be a bonus.

12. Bank Shot says:

Id like to see the Hall at center experiment continue so I’m onboard with this.

13. VanOil says:

I like the idea of RNH with Perron and Eberle. Witchcraft suitable for Halloween.

Tambo has me conditioned to believe trades before the deadline are impossible regardless of need.

I have no idea what you would trade them for but at the deadline I would offer the following 3 for 1 instant defense in a box; N.Schultz (old vet) Larsen (entering prime with O upside) Musil (quality prospect maybe to slow footed for new Oil regime). By mid season Oilers could easily could afford to give up all 3 if Belovs feet get a little calmer and most of Fedun, Marinchin and Kelfbom remain on target.

As for now all I want is Witchcraft.

14. theres oil in virginia says:

David:

The play died on Hall’s stick way more than it did on Smyth’s on Tuesday. Both Hall and Yakupov were bigger liabilities than Smyth, although Smyth had his shameful moments late in the 2nd period.

15. Andropod says:

David,

Smyth was a legend. Do you remember how that Horcoff-Smyth-Hemsky line played in ’06?
    He still has a lot of that game but he was never fast and he’s 7 years slower today. Character player, king of the goalmouth, but it’s hard to watch him as he is today. Real hard.

16. David says:

Because Hall was at center. And I would still disagree that they caused it to die more than Smyth.

In the summer of 2010 the Oil had no Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. And they had the first overall pick with a center and a winger that were viewed as neck and neck. They made the call then that Hall even though he is a winger could be of more impact than Seguin. And that’s what we’ve seen from him. But now we’re taking our best player and making him less effective. I understand doing it when both of our top two centers are out but once Nuge is back Hall should go back to the wing.

Correct me if I’m wrong because this is just speculation but if the Capitals had major casualties to their center position, do you think they would put Ovechkin in the middle? Maybe they would and maybe they have but I think that instead, and this is what I would do, is they would go to him and say ” you are our star player, you’re the one who has always carried our team. Now go and do it again.”

17. David says:

Andropod,

I do remember. They were awesome. But I don’t say we should have kept Horcoff and played him on the first line because of what he used to be.

The Trouba played exposed all three players on that line imo. Hemsky made a highly creative pass to Hall, but he was standing still. Hall, who had every right to think his winger would at least tie the runner, shouldn’t sent the pass cross ice, and Smyth HAS to be in the picture at least enough to deflect the momentum or the puck.

Didn’t happen. tie game.

19. David says:

theres oil in virginia,

The argument is you have player A and player B. player A has 10 goal 25 point potential and will be fairly good defensively ( although recall the suicide pass that Smyth threw to Nurse which almost ended in disaster ) and player B has 30+ goal potential and 60+ point potential but can be chaotic. Which do you put on the first line?

20. theres oil in virginia says:

David,
    Did you see Hall trying to take on Trouba? How about trying to take on 3 Jets (Eakins’ 1-on-3 comment)? How about the infamous cross-ice pass? Those, and several more, all ended the same way. Hall made a habit out of giving up the puck. Smyth did not.

21. theres oil in virginia says:

Didn’t happen. tie game.

Hall’s bad pass is Smyth’s fault? Smyth wasn’t a step behind, he was a step wide. That was a terrible pass across ice at the opposition’s blue line. Junior stuff. The camera cut right to Hall after that play and justifiably so.

22. theres oil in virginia says:

David:
    theres oil in virginia,

I like Hall just fine on the first line – he’s a great player. I don’t like the fact that Smyth needs to be on the 1st line, but his play on Tuesday was not nearly as bad as it is being made out to be.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Barons’ new lines for tonight:

Looks like Tremblay in for Hamilton, not Eager (he may not be in town yet).

And, frustratingly Jones gets the push over Pitlick.

Stretch is probably a better centre, including offensively than Martindale. Hamilton > Jones, Jones > Tremblay. But Hamilton was only on the second line to make the listed 2nd and 3rd lines roughly, 2.5a and 2.5b

Nelson is short on offense, and when he is short on offense, he tends to balance his lines. He wants to rely on that killer defense to win 2-1.

24. hunter1909 says:

theres oil in virginia: This is a new argument. I thought we were arguing whether the play died on Hall’s stick more or on Smyth’s. There’s really no question about that one.

25. hunter1909 says:

Love how Eakins has got 2 out of the teams 3 first overall picks playing out of the spot on the team where they left off excelling so much at at the end of last season.

Way to go Eakins, you’re going to be an easy target to bash.

26. hunter1909 says:

So much easier to bash the team anyway, lol.

27. theres oil in virginia says:

hunter1909: Why not argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, and save us the trouble of your trolling Taylor Hall, in favour of that washed up ex-Islander fave mercenary who roamed from the Avs to the Kings as well…

What a surprise! Another compelling non-argument from Hunter.

Hamilton is on the shuttle in case someone gets the 24-hour flu tomorrow in Vancouver. The Oilers are playing cap games. They have very few games the first 10 days. Hamilton will probably be sent down once Nugent-Hopkins gives them an extra forward.

Hey guys, knock it off. If you want to move the conversation forward, the comments stay. If you’re pissing in the wind, I’ll delete. It’s the weekend.

30. bookje says:

That’s LT’s angry time!

31. David says:

theres oil in virginia,

Hall had a bad game for sure. and like I’ve been saying I think the shift to center is partly to blame. But it’s not just lat game. Hall has memorable gaffs like the passes last game. Smyth’s game is filled of just having the play die. But not without the bad ones like trying to beat a guy, failing, and then hauling him down for a penalty. And player B in my scenario is Yakupov.

David:
    theres oil in virginia,

33. Zipdot says:

Eric Rodgers ‏@ericrsports 5m

Horn sounds to end the 1st, #OKCBarons trailing 2-0, shots 15-6 in favor of Charlotte.

34. bookje says:

Yep, he also prevented a clear goal against with some good checking. I think we need to judge players on their body of work as opposed to a couple of plays.

35. OilClog says:

It’s a sad day, Ryan Smyth a healthy scratch, what will happen?

What does Hemsky have to do to stay where he is? He’s playing lights out right now, he’s the last one off the top line in my list.

When Nuge returns.

Hall Hamilton Hemsky (Hide Hamilton in the flow, break out the pedigrees)

Nuge Perron Ebs (this line will make every other lines jobs easier)

Gordon Joenssu Yak(I thought they played a good game, Yak will be fine)

Acton gazdic Smyth(5mins a night or IR for Smyth it seems, no more legs syndrome)

When Gags returns..

Nuge Hall Hemsky

Gags Perron Ebs

Statsny Joenssu Yak

Gordon Gazdic Hamilton

Statsny?!? Something has to happen.. I say Nick Schultz, Klef? Pick? Too much? It’s gonna be dear whoever they find.

bookje:

Yep, he also prevented a clear goal against with some good checking.I think we need to judge players on their body of work as opposed to a couple of plays.

Sure. I’ve got no quarrel with Hall, he’s the biggest reason this team has a chance to make the playoffs this year. Wonderful talent.

37. theres oil in virginia says:

David: And player B in my scenario is Yakupov.

Aah, gotcha. The Smyth sequence at the end of the 2nd must have left a very lasting impression with people. The haul-down you mentioned above was part of that awful few minutes for him. The rest of his game was not bad. Nor particularly good either, but not bad.

It was noted in the previous thread that there were different views on how Yak performed. Spoiler saw bad, Lowetide saw good, Corsi saw good. I thought he was pretty invisible, but Yak drew the ire of the coach for a bad defensive zone play late in the game. I don’t think Yak is ready for those “tough minutes” on the Hall line. (Is Hall ready?) His game needs to develop more. If he can stay sheltered on the 3rd line, he may see some good production there.

I’m hoping that when RNH comes back, Hall moves back to wing and Smyth slides down (out of) the lineup. I don’t see him playing on the 4th line, as it looks like Eakins wants two tough guys around a plugging center.

38. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Barons down 2-0 at the end of the 1st.

Out shot 15-6.

theres oil in virginia:

(Is Hall ready?)

Based on every available measure, yes.

40. theres oil in virginia says:

bookje:

That’s exactly my point about Smyth.

Lowetide: Hall’s also the guy who pushes the river and opens up ice. You’re going to have turnovers with a player like that because he has the puck all the time. That’s not really an issue that the Oilers should be addressing, since “safe” isn’t why you drafted Hall.

I’m not saying that Hall isn’t dynamic, or that the Oilers are better off without him, but he’s got to limit those unnecessary turnovers. The 1-on-3, the toe-drag, etc. Those are not NHL plays, or at least not every time you have the puck. I think he’s trying to do too much – take the team on his shoulders, rather than play within the system. I think he read your RE and now the pressure is on! ;)

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dead Cat Bounce:
    Barons down 2-0 at the end of the 1st.

Out shot 15-6.

I mentioned something earlier about this…

theres oil in virginia:

I’m not saying that Hall isn’t dynamic, or that the Oilers are better off without him, but he’s got to limit those unnecessary turnovers.The 1-on-3, the toe-drag, etc.Those are not NHL plays, or at least not every time you have the puck.I think he’s trying to do too much – take the team on his shoulders, rather than play within the system.I think he read your RE and now the pressure is on! ;)

I can’t agree with your statement at all.

43. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I mentioned something earlier about this…

I”m sure you did.

Probably last week.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The checkers have a very interesting “in game” twitter feed:

innovative.

looks like Jones crashed the net for a disallowed goal.

Can’t find TOI anywhere… I’m curious to see how Malholtra is doing. Hope he finds his game, terrible waste of talent otherwise.

45. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: Based on every available measure, yes.

Yeah, you’re right. That was unfair. I think Hall is playing way outside his comfort zone right now. He’s got linemates that don’t play anything like what he’s used to with RNH and Ebs, and he’s being asked to carry the load, out of position. My argument is not anti-Hall, it’s simply to lessen the Smyth doom-and-gloom. I’m only using Hall’s game to demonstrate that it isn’t as if Smyth dragged that line down. Hall played an awful game and Hemsky had yuck moments too.

Jones (Martindale, Ford) 2-1 Charlotte. Probably didn’t beat DSF to it but anyway. :-)

47. Dead Cat Bounce says:

YOU WIN!

48. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: Respectively disagree. Turnovers from guys like Hall are going to happen because they’re flying so many sorties. That’s a danger, but gaining the line is a tough thing to do. Hall, Hemsky, Nuge, Eberle, Perron, Yakupov, they’re all going to turn the puck over BECAUSE what they’re doing is so damn difficult.

I agree with your sentiment here: trying to make plays and create offense will lead to some turnovers. (No risk, no reward.) As well as: the more you handle the puck, the more opportunities for turnovers you’ll have. However, I hold that you still have to make smart plays with the puck, and that some turnovers are more costly than others. I’ll pick on Smyth as an example: He was behind the net and he tossed the puck out in front towards a teammate who was not really open. The puck was stolen and now his two linemates are moving toward the opposition net, while he is trapped behind it and the puck is moving toward their own net. It’s a terrible giveaway. The ones at the blue line are terrible too. If you’re going to value puck possession, you have to limit turnovers. To completely belabor the point, I’ll restate one more way: if there is a better play to be made and you force the bad play and turn the puck over, it’s an unnecessary turnover and needs to be out of your game as much as possible.

49. kinger_OIL says:

Glad to see the it took the fan base only one game to figure out what I said in the pre-season, which is that no NHL team would have Ryan Smyth on their first-line. Not once before Game 1 did I read any article that had any concern about him on 1st line: it was all about the chem he had with teammates, bounce back year, more gas in the tank, pride, blah blah blah…At least RNH is back earlier then anyone predicted, because I also observed that no NHL team has 2 rookie minor league centres opening night. But with RNH back early, and Smyth moving down the roster, things are looking better. Question now about RNH is, what kind of player is he really going to become? Consensus seems to be pre-injury as a rookie +, but its prudent to temper that and pray that he can play a whole season…Few superstars in the NHL missed big percentages of their first two seasons due to injuries. 6million is a lot for 4 goals and back to back shut-down seasons. Another injury, how much we going to love the NUUUUGE next time he goes IR? Just saying….

theres oil in virginia: I agree with your sentiment here: trying to make plays and create offense will lead to some turnovers.(No risk, no reward.)As well as: the more you handle the puck, the more opportunities for turnovers you’ll have.However, I hold that you still have to make smart plays with the puck, and that some turnovers are more costly than others.I’ll pick on Smyth as an example:He was behind the net and he tossed the puck out in front towards a teammate who was not really open.The puck was stolen and now his two linemates are moving toward the opposition net, while he is trapped behind it and the puck is moving toward their own net.It’s a terrible giveaway.The ones at the blue line are terrible too.If you’re going to value puck possession, you have to limit turnovers.To completely belabor the point, I’ll restate one more way: if there is a better play to be made and you force the bad play and turn the puck over, it’s an unnecessary turnover and needs to be out of your game as much as possible.

51. Hammers says:

That’s great for a winger not a center . Sorry don’t agree .

Hammers: That’s great for a winger not a center . Sorry don’t agree .

Nuge turns the puck over at the blueline, Gagner turns the puck over at the blueline (much screaming about that on this blog over the years) but Hall can’t? Hmmm. Seems we’re going to disagree on this one, folks.

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

come now, is he really going to post a goal for the Barons?

your optimism for humanity is unquenchable!

Moroz with an assist early tonight, 6, 6-2-8 so far this season.

55. Logan91 says:

Would be interesting to see how many turn overs Nuge has had in his NHL career so far. I think he does a much better job carrying the puck into the zone, he’s much more patient and makes those beautiful saucer passes.

56. cabbiesmacker says:

“”
    Taylor Hall-Jesse Joensuu-Ales Hemsky
    Ryan Nugent-Hopkins-David Perron-Jordan Eberle”"

Amazing how much difference one player can make a top 6 look. Skilled depth is a nice problem to have.

So is Gagner as a third liner where he belongs……until you check his contract number. Facepalm.

57. ohhell says:

Houck with a goal for Vancouver and Moroz with an apple so far.

58. ohhell says:

Platzer held off the scoreboard tonight and Roy still not in the lineup.

Logan91:

He’s a wonderful player, I am SO happy Nuge will be back on Monday.

60. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: So, you’re going to play a possession game by dumping the puck in? Or are you saying that you dump it in unless beating the guy is a sure thing?

toe-drag
    1-on-3
    Trouba near-miss-almost-took-Hall’s-head-off

Dumping the puck is irrelevant in those instances. There were other options. None of the other options was as sexy as beat the man and score the big goal. Hall forced it on all of those. Also, to my original argument, Smyth being a step behind was not a factor in those plays either.

61. jake70 says:

LOL

theres oil in virginia: None of the following plays that I have cited occurred before gaining the blue line:
    toe-drag
    1-on-3
    Trouba near-miss-almost-took-Hall’s-head-off

Dumping the puck is irrelevant in those instances.There were other options.None of the other options was as sexy as beat the man and score the big goal.Hall forced it on all of those.Also, to my original argument, Smyth being a step behind was not a factor in those plays either.

As for the errant pass, my memory has him neutral zone, back to the opponent, standing still when he gets the pass. What are these options you’re thinking of? Icing?

63. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: The 1-on-3 happened ten miles from the Oiler net, I don’t think you want your best player to curtail his creativity–he must have seen something there, for me it’s a bet I’m willing to make with Hall (or Nuge or Yakupov).

This argument is tantamount to: “Not my son, he’s a good boy!” I stated that none of the plays I cited occurred before gaining the blue line. Hence, ten miles from the Oiler net. If you take that bet, you’ll lose it over and over. Occasionally, you’ll win it, but not against the vast majority of NHL defenses.

That play is not among the 3 plays I cited above. However, if it was, he was well past the red line and icing was not an issue.

Picking on Hall is not the focal point of my argument. Not unduly picking on Smyth is the heart of my argument.

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

If I’m reading that boxsheet right Jones has a goal, a disallowed goal and 4 shots through 2 periods and couple of minutes… looks like he wants back up.

Omark only a single shot… yikes!

Barons now lead shot total 26-22.

Larsen (Lander, Hunt)

theres oil in virginia: This argument is tantamount to: “Not my son, he’s a good boy!”I stated that none of the plays I cited occurred before gaining the blue line.Hence, ten miles from the Oiler net.If you take that bet, you’ll lose it over and over.Occasionally, you’ll win it, but not against the vast majority of NHL defenses.

That play is not among the 3 plays I cited above.However, if it was, he was well past the red line and icing was not an issue.

Picking on Hall is not the focal point of my argument.Not unduly picking on Smyth is the heart of my argument.

67. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis,
    You were asking about AHL streams earlier:

That’s more than the NHL package. They don’t want people watching from home?

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia:
    Romulus Apotheosis,
    You were asking about AHL streams earlier:

That’s more than the NHL package.They don’t want people watching from home?

Supply and demand? or something.

69. theres oil in virginia says:

Lowetide: We’re going to have to agree to disagree. I have to say though, that targeting Taylor Hall as the culprit is a very unusual place to go. He’s still young, will make mistakes. I would certainly thank the hockey Gods to keep button down dump and chase coaches a long way from #4 and the others.

I must be doing a terrible job of communicating. I don’t think we disagree as much as you think. I don’t think it’s targeting Taylor Hall by suggesting that he can limit unnecessary turnovers. Nor am I advocating dump and chase – all of those plays I cited were inside the offensive zone. I’m not even suggesting he needed to give up the puck on those plays, but it’s like the opposite of Paajarvi syndrome where he would never drive the net; Hall was driving the net too aggressively and trying for the hero play. Saying he’s trying to do too much is not targeting him.

All of this about Hall is not even what I’m attempting to argue here. I’m arguing against the statements that are declaring that Smyth was the boat anchor on that line. Sorry to have been so militant about it, but it’s been sticking in my craw since I watched the game. After reading all about how Smyth was washed up, I expected to see the Titanic replayed on ice. It isn’t so.

70. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis,
    I’m curious, would you pay that? I’ve asked a few of my hockey buddies, and the answer is always a resounding: “Hell no, are you crazy?”

71. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia:
    Romulus Apotheosis,
    I’m curious, would you pay that?I’ve asked a few of my hockey buddies, and the answer is always a resounding: “Hell no, are you crazy?”

good god no! I can’t afford game center.

Checkers win 3-2. shots 34-32 Barons

72. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Romulus Apotheosis: good god no! I can’t afford game center.

Checkers win 3-2. shots 34-32 Barons

O f course you knew that last month.

73. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis,
    Well, I can afford it (or maybe I can’t, but I get it anyway), and my hockey buddies are both far more well off than I am. So, we all agree: that’s a ridiculous price.

74. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dead Cat Bounce: O f course you knew that last month.

Oil in Virginia: It COULD be me not understanding, too. :-)

I’ve defended Smyth forever and would love for him to have a strong season, and credit to Eakins to standing by him. My viewing of the game had Smyth shy, but others disagree and maybe he builds on it tomorrow night.

76. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I know right!? I wish I won the lottery or something then I wouldn’t be oppressed by the lack of funds for hockey streams.

How about you comb your hair, pull up your pants and get a job.

Advice for the ages.

Look out boys, DSF has the Firebird full of gas tonight!

78. theres oil in virginia says:

I’ve defended Smyth forever…

Yes, I know. That’s partly why I felt like the lone voice in the wilderness when you lost the faith. I felt like Bookje earlier today!

…love for him to have a strong season…

I’d settle for him just being reliable for some games before the cavalry return. I think he’ll do it.

79. fifthcartel says:

Khaira with an assist*.

*goal.

Khaira with a goal

81. theres oil in virginia says:

Also, I forgot to ask earlier (I didn’t want to sound like a dick): What’s the flavor of the night?

theres oil in virginia:

I forgot to pick up my Crown Royal, so I’m having coffee (with creamer). Alas, will make up for it tomorrow night. :-)

83. fuzzy muppet says:

There was a play in game one in the second period that was a tell on Smyth. The Oilers escaped a nice forecheck and they were racing up the ice. The pass went to Smyth and he tried to skate with it. The backchecker caught him from behind in no time flat.

He simply can’t skate well enough to play a regular shift. It’s sad, but true. Sure he can still dig the puck out of the corners, but he can’t get there fast enough to even compete much of the time. He’s bottom six material on a good day

Furthermore, I’m not an Arcobello fan, but I’d rather him stay and move Hall to LW until Gagner returns than keep Hall at C with a Hamilton playing.

Moral of the story: Move Smyth down to line 4 at the expense of a facepuncher and kill teams with 4 93 14 and leave soft minutes for Arcobello’s mates

84. Dead Cat Bounce says:

theres oil in virginia:

Rocky Road

Moroz with another assist (6, 6-3-9 +2 on the season) and 27pims! That’s Dave Schultz territory.

86. fuzzy muppet says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Rocky Road

Duckhorn 2010 Napa Valley Cabernet…it’s lovely

87. theres oil in virginia says:

That’s a terrible substitute! If it makes you feel any better, I’m not drinking either. Sick kid (just a cold, but I’m usually next when that happens and drinking ruins me when I’m getting sick).

fuzzy muppet:
    There was a play in game one in the second period that was a tell on Smyth.The Oilers escaped a nice forecheck and they were racing up the ice.The pass went to Smyth and he tried to skate with it.The backchecker caught him from behind in no time flat.

I knew it! That was part of his terrible stretch late in the second that I’ve been trying to isolate. Smyth was gord-awful during that stretch. The rest of the game did not look like that, even in the third. Clearly, though, the long shifts were gassing him. However, Taylor Hall was gassed by game’s end too:

He played a team-high 23:30, an outrageous amount for a forward, and didn’t appear to have a whole lot in the tank at the end. A tell came on the late 6-on-4 when he watched Joensuu get outnumbered by two Jets ten feet away and failed to crash the boards in support.

Thanks Bruce McCurdy!

I think Eakins knows he’s got to manage that a bit better.

theres oil in virginia: The play died on Hall’s stick way more than it did on Smyth’s on Tuesday.Both Hall and Yakupov were bigger liabilities than Smyth, although Smyth had his shameful moments late in the 2nd period.

Chugging up the ice trying to catch up to the play, then chugging down ice to try to catch up to the play means you don’t have the puck a lot.

theres oil in virginia:
    David,
    Did you see Hall trying to take on Trouba?How about trying to take on 3 Jets (Eakins’ 1-on-3 comment)?How about the infamous cross-ice pass?Those, and several more, all ended the same way.Hall made a habit out of giving up the puck.Smyth did not.

Hall was in alone but the puck rolled on him.

That was cool.

90. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: You have to have the puck in order for the play to proceed on your stick or die on your stick.

Agreed, but if you check the comments above mine, you’ll see that I was only objecting to the statement that “the play dies on Smyth’s stick more than anyone else’s outside the 4th line”. That is a false statement.

Woodguy:

Smyth was not chasing the play during Tuesday’s game. If I have to, I’ll jump up and down and shout that. :) I saw it with my own two eyes!

91. fifthcartel says:

Chase with his 6th of the season.

92. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: I saw Trouba step up and whiff on a hit Fistric style when Hall side stepped him.
    Hall was in alone but the puck rolled on him.
    That was cool.

I wouldn’t swear to it, but I think Trouba knocked the puck away. Either way, my heart almost stopped when I saw that play. Even on the replay. Trouba was trying to clean his clock. Maybe I’m the protective parent here!

Jonathan Willis just tweeted that Ryan Hamilton was recalled because someone on the roster is an injury worry. Anyone miss practice today?

94. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dead Cat Bounce: How about you comb your hair, pull up your pants and get a job.

Advice for the ages.

Touche!

95. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Perron was listed as “sick” or something before last game… maybe him?

bad clam chowder?

Goal and assist for Khaira tonight.

97. oilgreg says:

Lots of discussion re: Smyth this evening. I usually sit in the low 200′s, but sat up in the 300′s for the first game, as I wanted to see things ‘slowed down.’ Believe me, the game is much slower up high!

Early in the game I turned to my buddy and said, “Smyth just can’t keep up.” Folks, it just wasn’t one play late in the second.

To me, this guy is an icon. My daughter cried when he was traded! But there comes a time when the age factor dominates. Mr. Smyth has played 20 years, and he should be proud. Too proud to play catch-up with the young guns.

98. RexLibris says:

Hey LT, not sure if you’ll get this as its late and chances are you’ve got another blog (or three) ready to go right away.

Anyway, thoughts on Hall at C and (hopefully) your opinion – my observation of his play in the off. zone is that he has high-end vision and creativity and often appears to be sending the puck, when he can get it past the first three defenders, into high-probability scoring zones. His linemates thus far this season have not been in position. However, there have been occasions such as where he will manage to draw down two defenders and then pass the puck to the high slot. Unfortunately there are no friendlies there to take advantage, but importantly neither are there any immediate opponents. It is a good pass to an open spot, signalling that his playmaking is there, but that the communication/anticipation to exploit the play is lacking.

His defensive acumen is less developed, obviously. But my belief is that most anyone with a high-degree of offensive awareness can be made to turn that on its head and thereby understand defensive play nearly as well with good coaching and the internal desire to do so.

My belief then is that Hall is capable of playing center, be it 1C or 2C, at least as capably as other elite converted wingers based on the small sample size available to-date because he has shown an understanding of the game to accompany his physical skill set, rather than simply relying on the skill set to succeed.

Yay or nay?

99. RexLibris says:

Heck of a game tonight by the Oil Kings.

Wish the Oilers had taken Corbett in the draft. 1G 1A +5. And Lazar 3G 1A and +4. Must’ve been something in that Ottawa Senators TC.

100. 719 says:

With the Oilers playing cap games, my guess is after Saturday’s game both Arco and Hamilton go down. Hamilton may be in for a lot of back and forth this year.

With Arco going down, who sits on the OKC barons? My guess is Martindale/Strech are rotated in and out on the 3rd line depending on who is playing better.

Rex: I’m all in on Hall if he is, the Oilers would be insane with Hall-Nuge-Gordon in the middle. They don’t HAVE to do it, but moving Hall to C and Gagner to W is a nice option. There’s a lot of natural talent there, and to solve the C problem this early in the cluster run would be golden.

102. Racki says:

Because it’s the Canucks, the Oilers should put Hamilton in Smyth’s place, imho.

Joensuu is a battler and can help Hall. I’d go with lines that looked like so:

Joensuu-Hall-Hemsky
    Perron-Gordon-Eberle
    Hamilton-Arco-Yakupov (poor Yak, but what can ya do?)
    Gazdic-Acton-Brown

Gazdic will be triple shifting by the end of the night, I’m sure.

Oh and to jump in on the Hall at C discussion.. I’m all for leaving Hall at C when Gagner is back. Gagner could even play top line LW…

Gags-Hall-Hemsky
    Perron-Nuge-Eberle
    Joensuu-Gordon-Yakupov

All these guys get fairly even minutes (been banging this drum for a while now.. ride all 3 forward lines for around 17+ mins a night), and possibility of swapping Nuge and Gordon (bearing in mind that Nuge wouldn’t be on a 3rd line, per se, but a different scoring line.. 1C, if you must put a “number” to it).

103. Racki says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Perron was listed as “sick” or something before last game… maybe him?

bad clam chowder?

104. PunjabiOil says:

Khaira with a nice season thus far. Would love it if he pushed it at a 1.3 PPG pace.

Greg Chase – 6 goals, 1 assist, and 7 points in 4 games. From a 7th rounder.

To quote Lowetide: Lordy.

105. RexLibris says:

PunjabiOil:
    Khaira with a nice season thus far.Would love it if he pushed it at a 1.3 PPG pace.

Greg Chase – 6 goals, 1 assist, and 7 points in 4 games.From a 7th rounder.

To quote Lowetide:Lordy.

My concern with Chase is the point splits. One of the things that made Rieder such an intriguing prospect, at least to me, was his even number of goals and assists which indicated someone who can also serve to improve the play of linemates.

Opposition is going to start keying in on Chase so we may see those goal totals begin to drop. A good measure of his ability will be to see if the penalty minutes rise (and what kind of penalty minutes – is he drawing coincidentals?) and do the assists begin to show up?

All that said, still really like this player’s skill set, especially as an abrasive personality. Drafting a productive pest in the 7th round is extremely valuable.

106. Eastern Oil says:

Did anyone happen to see the Oil Kings game last night? I was checking up on the boxscore and saw that Moroz had 2 assists (now 6-3-9 in 6gp) but also had 27 PIM’s. On the Oil Kings website it mentions that Jayden Hart went hard at Lazar after scoring the 2nd goal and Moroz jumped in.

The breakdown was 2 mins instigating, 5 mins fighting, and then 2 10′s. Any reason why he was given the extra 20 mins?

On another note, Moroz is having a great start. As Rex Libris pointed out above (about Chase however, but the premise applies), I hope he is contributing along with his great linemates, and not just putting up points because of them.

Edit: I just realized that LT has a very good article up over at ON about Moroz, well done sir.

107. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Racki: Perron missed the last pre-season of the game due to sickness. He played the first game of the season.. so I presume he’s all over it now.

I assume that too… but depending on the illness, it could be one that comes and goes in waves. At any rate, it’s the barest of speculation. I have no idea.

[edit] Looking at his twitter feed

he looks pretty chipper. So, he’s good.