POWER OUTAGE

Oiler prospects are getting more game action in Oklahoma City according to reports, but the offense is going south. Three games into the season, the Barons are 0-3 with 4 goals for, and that’s a constipated offense if we ever saw one.

A year ago–after 3 games–the Barons had 9 goals and were 2 wins, 1 loss. The big scoring star was Justin Schultz (3, 3-2-5 +5) but Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Teemu Hartikainen, Josh Green and Ryan Martindale had all contributed multi-point games.

This season? Well, the scoring list is very small.

OKLAHOMA CITY BARONS 2013-14 SCORING

1. Phil Larsen 2, 1-1-2
  2. Ryan Martindale 3, 1-1-2
  3. Ryan Jones 3, 1-0-1
  4. Tyler Pitlick 3, 1-0-1
  5. Brad Hunt 2, 0-1-1
  6. Anton Lander 2, 0-1-1
  7. Taylor Fedun 3, 0-1-1
  8. Matt Ford 3, 0-1-1

The only even-strength goal came from Jones, and the club is 0-3 and have been outscored 7-4. They trail in SOG 87-85 and have several good players (notably Linus Omark) who have yet to score. It’s early of course, but I did  want to find out how things were going “down on the farm” so far this year.

• Oscar Klefbom- Todd Nelson: “He doesn’t mind the physical stuff. It’s more or less the mental side, learning the pro game, adjusting to the way the game is played over here. His time with us is really going to help his development.”
  • Tyler Pitlick: I spoke to Eric Rodgers early in the week and he said “his improvement from last season has been the most marked I’ve seen so far.” This would jive with the SH goal and the reports we’re getting about his TOI increasing. Added to his training camp/pre-season it’s a nice set of arrows.
  • Ryan Martindale- Rodgers again: “He’s another one whose offensive ability has improved from last season. Looks like he’s finding the puck more, and is working on being something other than a 3rd line center, which is where he was last year.”
  • Ryan Martindale-Patricia Teter: “Martindale has had some very good moments. Not great but very good.”
  • Phil Larsen- Rodgers: “He’s been nothing but solid.”
  • Travis Ewanyk- Rodgers: “He’s been playing the 4th line center role perfectly. I’m excited to see him develop.”

The Barons play this afternoon (in just  a few minutes) and I’ll update the thread. You can follow Patricia and Eric on twitter and check them out at Artful Puck and Tend the Farm.

(photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

96 Responses to "POWER OUTAGE"

1. dessert1111 says:

Interesting that Davidson is a HS today on merit according to nelson. And right after being returned from his callup.

1-0 for Iowa, Jim Byers is a brilliant pbp guy.

3. jp says:

Looks like the Barons have the opposite problem from the Oilers.

It would be spectacular if Pitlick and Martindale (even one of them) could claw themselves back up to prospect status.

dessert1111,

That is weird, but they do have a lot of quality bodies on defense.

4. jp says:

1-0 for Iowa, Jim Byers is a brilliant pbp guy.

Steckel!!

From this article

Head coach Dallas Eakins said he was leaning toward Jason LaBarbera but that he wanted to talk to goaltending coach Frederic Chabot first.

“You have to enjoy the pain of the game,” said Eakins. “If you don’t embrace that pain and that challenge, you’re not going to be very good ever. He’s in the fight.

“The biggest thing for me is that I know he cares.”

First period over, Roy stopped 11 of 12 it’s 1-0 for Iowa. Lander with three shots sounded like Pitlick played on both PK and PP.

8. ericrsports says:

Pitlick’s doing it all for the Barons right now.

ericrsports:

Pitlick’s doing it all for the Barons right now.

Is he doing it well, though? :-)

10. ericrsports says:

Lowetide: Is he doing it well, though?

Could use some more scoring, but other than that, I’d say so.

11. TheGreatMutato says:

This kind of grinds my gears:

FATALITY!

12. ohhell says:

TheGreatMutato,

Masochist. Stop!

Nesbitt (Martindale, Andrew Miller) 1-1 tie

14. Big Dan says:

You know, I can’t see Mark Arcobello going back to the AHL. Great find from Oklahoma.
    Comparison vs. Gagner=
    Size (same)
    Offense (same)
    Faceoffs (edge Arco)
    Defensively (edge Arco)

I think once Hemsky is off the books this summer, then Gagner will move to the 2nd line RW spot.

My buddy made a good point about trading Marincin. I’d rather wait but in dealing him, in a way, you are trading FOR Dillon Simpson, Lee Moffie, or Ty Rimmer. The Oilers are up to 50 spots and need to free up somebody.

In addition, they won’t want to sign unless there is a reasonable opportunity to stick in Oklahoma. With Fedun/Nurse promoted, Marincin dealt, Larsen/Grebeshkov//N.Schultz/Potter off the books, that is solved.

Nesbitt scores again. Assists to Gernat, Martindale.

Eric Rodgers ‏@ericrsports 11s

Martindale has his assist on the second Nesbitt goal taken away and given to Andrew Miller. Two assists for him now.

17. B S says:

Big Dan:
    You know, I can’t see Mark Arcobello going back to the AHL.Great find from Oklahoma.
    Comparison vs. Gagner=
    Size (same)
    Offense (same)
    Faceoffs (edge Arco)
    Defensively (edge Arco)

My buddy made a good point about trading Marincin.I’d rather wait but in dealing him, in a way, you are trading FOR Dillon Simpson, Lee Moffie, or Ty Rimmer.The Oilers are up to 50 spots and need to free up somebody.

In addition, they won’t want to sign unless there is a reasonable opportunity to stick in Oklahoma.With Fedun/Nurse promoted, Marincin dealt, Larsen/Grebeshkov//N.Schultz/Potter off the books, that is solved.

I’ve tried to stay out of this since last night (that was an ugly loss), but this warrants a response as it doesn’t seem like intentional trolling. Mark Arcobello is 5’8″ 165 lbs, Sam Gagner is 5’11″ 200lbs, definitely not the same size.

omark took a shot to the head. He is not apparently injured, but Iowa player gets 5 and a game. PP

19. "Steve Smith" says:

B S,

I would also note that Arcobello has three points in six NHL games; it might be somewhat premature to rank his offence as on-par with Gagner’s.

“Steve Smith”:
    B S,

Well, actually 5 points in 6 NHL games.

Lander gets a PP goal.

Lander (Nesbitt, Omark).

Chase scored for the Hitmen this afternoon 9, 9-5-14 +5.

Jones with a PP goal. Jones (Miller) Miller now with three points in the game, all assists

25. "Steve Smith" says:

Right – three in one. I knew there was a three in there somewhat.

Whatever – Gagner once got eight in one. I don’t think we can yet say that Arcobello is the equivalent offensive player to Gagner. Or a superior defensive player or faceoff man, for that matter.

“Steve Smith”:

Right – three in one.I knew there was a three in there somewhat.

Whatever – Gagner once got eight in one.I don’t think we can yet say that Arcobello is the equivalent offensive player to Gagner.Or a superior defensive player or faceoff man, for that matter.

Well amen to that. Gagner is a proven NHL player of note and barely shaves.

27. ericrsports says:

Lander (Nesbitt, Kessy). Kessy’s first pro point I believe

Should read Omark with the assist, not Kessy. EDIT: I see you caught it :)

ericrsports: Should read Omark with the assist, not Kessy. EDIT: I see you caught it :)

Yeah, the pbp guy caught me, although if I wasn’t drinking Crown Royal it would have hit me that Kessy isn’t going to be n the pp. :-)

29. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Yakupov fumes under ‘coach’s rules’:

Looks like Yak wants to play Rob Shremp hockey.

Dead Cat Bounce:
    Yakupov fumes under ‘coach’s rules’:

Barons win 4-2. Andrew Miller 3 assists, Lander, Jones score and Nesbitt with 2. Nesbitt, Martindale and Jones lead the club with 3 points, roy’s SP is .923 and he gets the first win of the year for the Barons.

32. RMGS says:

Lowetide: I love Yakupov and Eakins in that article. Father and Son.

Exactly.

“I’m going to play my game,” he said. “I’m not going to change but maybe play better without the puck, or forecheck more, but I love playing with the puck. I really don’t like skating all the time, and forechecking, and hitting somebody every shift. I don’t think it’s my game.”

I trust in Coach Eakins’ ability to teach YakCity to play without the puck, to forecheck more (which requires skating more), and to use his physical strength against the opposition.

33. nycoil says:

That is a great article. But Eakins needs to get Yak back in tomorrow. One game watching from the gondola should be enough. Make it two and that’s unjust punishment. There have been a few other passengers or there who should take a seat instead.

RMGS: Exactly.

Hard to teach YakCity to do that when he’s sitting in the pressbox. Looks like the wonder coach can’t multitask…i.e. develop players and coach at the same time.

godot10: Hard to teach YakCity to do that when he’s sitting in the pressbox.Looks like the wonder coach can’t multitask…i.e. develop players and coach at the same time.

Look Godot he’s wrecking him!!!

Eakins is ruining Yak!!!

Haha!

36. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Woodguy: Look Godot he’s wrecking him!!!

Eakins is ruining Yak!!!

Haha!

37. Bag of Pucks says:

The great thing about that Yak/Eakins article is it’s a rare glimpse into that battle of wills that occurs between rookie coaches and talented young phenoms. Would Krueger have had the mettle for this?

I like the timing of the confrontation. You let this stuff slide and a few years down the road, you’re having to pull an Ovechkin v Hunter power struggle to get the player to finally toe the line defensively. Break the bad habits now while he’s young and he’ll be a better, more dominant player in the long run.

This reminds me a bit of Brett Hull. Natural goal scorer with an absolutely blistering shot but quite mediocre defensively for a long time until Hitchcock got a hold of him. Hull never became a great defensive player, nor do I think we should expect that from Yak. But if he can be tenacious on the forecheck, that will create more offensive opportunities for him. Will be interesting to see how he reacts when he’s back in the lineup.

Eakins also seems to have a problem counting. He says he has 4 wingers better than Yak, but Yak is in the pressbox. I think that means he has 8 wingers better than Yak.

Bag of Pucks:

Yak struggled mightily at the start of last season. Krueger never sat him. He coached him. By the end of the year he led all NHL rookies in scoring, and the OIlers in goals scored, and on the way to the top of the charts with a bullet.

MacT and Eakins seems to think that Yak is Rob Schremp, and not a 1st overall pick. It is pretty dumb to coach a 1st overall pick with the whip, rather than Krueger’s method of managing the situations in which he played, and making sure he got a carrot, PP time, to go along with the harder lessons.

40. jp says:

Lowetide: Well amen to that. Gagner is a proven NHL player of note and barely shaves.

A full year younger than Arcobello too.

Arco does look like he might be a nice find though.

41. ohhell says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

Without using a Russian interviewer, you can’t take anything away from that interview. Trying to read dissention into this is a complete waste of time. Nail struggles to find the appropriate english words in interviews at the best of times, never mind when he is smarting from a benching. This is another case of trying to reach conclusions for the sake of reaching a conclusion. All smoke.

42. Andropod says:

The last thing someone with Yak’s upbringing and background would normally do is be insubordinate. I’m suggesting that he was trying to express a complex set of feelings in a foreign language.

43. jp says:

godot10: Yak struggled mightily at the start of last season.Krueger never sat him.He coached him.By the end of the year he led all NHL rookies in scoring, and the OIlers in goals scored, and on the way to the top of the charts with a bullet.

MacT and Eakins seems to think that Yak is Rob Schremp, and not a 1st overall pick.It is pretty dumb to coach a 1st overall pick with the whip, rather than Krueger’s method of managing the situations in which he played, and making sure he got a carrot, PP time, to go along with the harder lessons.

There’s a lot of ways to coach a player. You can only really know in hindsight what was best, but Yakupov sure isn’t the first player to disagree with his coach. In a lot of those cases the player ended up better for it when all was said and done. We’ll see how this turns out, but there could be method to Eakins madness.

Also, what does being a #1 overall pick have to do with anything?

44. RMGS says:

godot10: Hard to teach YakCity to do that when he’s sitting in the pressbox.

That’s part of the drill. Yak has incredible talent with the puck, arguably the best of all the phenoms, but he looks clueless without the puck more often than not – I’d say even more so than Hall and Eberle did as rookies (The Nuge came with all the tools). I’ve been saying this for a while, but the team often looks shorthanded without the puck in its own zone (and on the forecheck) with him on the ice. The kid has all the tools to become an average if not very good player without the puck – speed, strength, intelligence – so it won’t take long. The other option is to waste his talent and use him in limited minutes and only in the O-zone and PP, i.e. the only way to use Rob Schremp.

MacT and Eakins clearly came into training camp and the season without a plan for Yakupov. And they are supposed to be the “smartest men in the room”. We’ll just wing it. And if we have problems, we’ll whip the kid. That’ll teach him.

Dead Cat Bounce: Sounds like Eakins is trying to get his attention and, based on Yak’s response, it’s not working.

He’s a kid, it will come.

Show me anyone who says at 23 that they knew it all at 20 and were right and I’ll show you Rob Schremp.

godot10:
    MacT and Eakins clearly came into training camp and the season without a plan for Yakupov.And they are supposed to be the “smartest men in the room”.We’ll just wing it.And if we have problems, we’ll whip the kid.That’ll teach him.

Well this is crazy.

godot10:

I bet its pretty awesome.

49. Andropod says:

godot10:

50. Zelepukin says:

Woodguy: Can you please write out the script between Eakins and MacT that you have going in your head?

I bet its pretty awesome.

hahaha totally.

Lowetide: Well this is crazy.

When you put Yak in the press box, that means you have no plan for Yakupov. A “real” leader has plans for the team, and plans for the individuals in the team. 4 games in, and Yak is in the pressbox, means you had no plan.

Andropod: How do you expect Eakins to come in with a plan when he plainly stated that he wanted to get to know each player so he knew which motivational button to push?

Eakins had all summer and a training camp. Two things Krueger did not have. And because of the strike, you could only have limited contact to players who were not AHL eligible. Yet, Krueger clearly had a plan for Yakupov. He played all the games. Let NHL rookie scoring, even after starting slowly.

53. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Woodguy: He’s a kid, it will come.

Some times it comes and some times it doesn’t.

I would imagine Yak is now on a very short leash.

The rest is up to him.

In the meantime, my boy Galchenyuk seems to be adapting well to life in the NHL. :)

godot10: When you put Yak in the press box, that means you have no plan for Yakupov. A “real” leader has plans for the team, and plans for the individuals in the team.4 games in, and Yak is in the pressbox, means you had no plan.

I personally don’t think Yakupov needed to sit. However, I also don’t know what he’s like and what he’s going to respond to in terms of direction. Last season, RK said something like “we’re just going to let him go out there and do things” and that’s what did God love him. He has SO much natural talent that 17 goals later he led the team in goals.

Now comes the new coach and he wants to be around awhile, and knows Yakupov is a big part of the future. How does he reach him? I think we know now.

The next step is when does he draw back in? And when he does, will he show improvement?

55. russ99 says:

Yak’s comments about the expectation that he needs to be “forechecking and hitting someone every shift” just confirm what has been growing in my head the last few games – that I’m not thrilled with Eakins so far.

He says the right things, but so far it’s his version of hockey or the highway, and much of this team either can’t or won’t play his version of hockey.

Looks like that statement by MacT that we’d play Oiler’s hockey was a lot of bull.

How different is Eakins really from Renney at this point?

56. Bos8 says:

“We win and lose as a team. We’ll play to a structured system that has been proven effective. This way we know where our linemates are and what is expected of us, to do our jobs and be successful”. “Oh, except some players who are gifted and can do what they want”. Goodbye team concept.

Sounds silly, doesn’t it?

57. Bos8 says:

russ99:
    Yak’s comments about the expectation that he needs to be “forechecking and hitting someone every shift”just confirm what has been growing in my head the last few games – that I’m not thrilled with Eakins so far.

How different is Eakins really from Renney at this point?
    ———————-
    Comparing Eakins to Renney is pretty high praise. Renney, post Oilers, is associate coach in Detroit. One of the top rated orgs in the NHL.

58. Henry says:

I really hope Yakupov plays tomorrow. He’ll badly want to play against Ovechkin and impress.

I think Eakins verbal about the sitting was very well balanced. His reinforcement of what he likes in Yak and reasoning/rationale/excuse of not wanting a short slump to become prolonged was pretty deft. I was more impressed with this press bit than most of the good but sort of meaningless confidentnewcoachspeak I heard preseason.

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Three games into the season, the Barons are 0-3 with 4 goals for, and that’s a constipated offense if we ever saw one.

So… is this whole exercise some kind of Rex impression?

Dead Cat Bounce: Some times it comes and some times it doesn’t.

I would imagine Yak is now on a very short leash.

The rest is up to him.

Picking up on Montreal while the Dys slide in the abyss of mediocrity?

He has a plan.

Its just the opposite of yours.

We don’t know how many times Eakins has coached him to do things that he’s not doing.

This is just the next step.

I’m sure that if the Al Gore and LT’s site was around in the early 80′s you would have said that Sather was ruining Coffey and Messier too.

God help us! The coach is….coaching!!!

62. hunter1909 says:

why do people who hate this team insist on posting shit?

63. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: He has a plan.

Its just the opposite of yours.

This is just the next step.

God help us!The coach is….coaching!!!

Eakins might turn out to be the saviour of this franchise.

russ99,

This team needs a strong hand at the tiller.

Strong personalities require and even stronger one to lead them.

hunter1909: Eakins might turn out to be the saviour of this franchise.

Him and your brother MacT.

Seriously, thank god MacT is here because he’s the one guy who doesn’t answer to Lowe and he’s the final say on personnel decisions.

66. Lois Lowe says:

I haven’t watched the games close enough to know exactly how Yak is faring 5×5 but I am going to defer to the coach on this one. I don’t think sitting in the press box hurts him at all, and I am sure that this isn’t the last time that Yak and Eakins will diverge on how the game is played. He’s playing with talent and not producing offensively while being a liability in his own end, that is usually a recipe for a night off.

I can’t understand people questioning whether Eakins has Yak’s best interests at heart, the coach’s job is to do just that. If Yak wants to play in the NHL, he needs to do the things he’s being told to do and trust that the organization isn’t out to get him.

Yakupov is doing fine 5×5 but there is some chaos in his game and there was an event during the Habs game (the goal by what’s his name) where Yakupov was in the photo not being aggressive. He also tried to stickhandle through 3 guys and generally looked frustrated.

In the NJD game in the third period–just before the flood–Yakupov hit the crossbar. If that goes in, he probably relaxes. As it is, he was more frustrated.

Yakupov needs a Horcoff, but he also needs an Eakins.

68. Andropod says:

This may be the bump none of the predecessors were able to get past – Players pushing back and the coach not having enough clout with management to work it through. So the players had more clout than the coach, starting with MacT through Quinn, Renney, and Krueger. All of which reported to Mr Dithers.

I’m wondering whether we’re seeing a more important battle going on than we first thought – resolving the power struggle between coach and players by the GM backing the coach for a change?

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I find it odd that the “roll with the punches” argument in favor of RK is being trotted out at all and even odder when we consider that on his way out of town RK made it very clear that he was going to be unbending on his coaching philosophy:

MacTavish said he realized his own coaching philosophy was not in tune with Krueger’s, but apparently more in line with one or more of the candidates he had talked to regarding the associate coach position.
    “I don’t know the details,” Krueger said. “I didn’t see it coming at all.
    “We spent the better part of a week together at the (IIHF World Hockey Championship in Stockholm, Sweden) and I never saw it coming. I’d have to concur it must be a philosophical void. I’ve never compromised my coaching philosophy over 24 years … I’m pretty adamant on it. People could ask me any question at any time and I’d give the answer because it would come out of my philosophy.”

70. sliderule says:

If you watch Yak it looks like he doesn’t want to engage.

He gets close to the puck carrier and then he stops and doesn’t engage the check

I saw him doing that with the Russian wjt and I thought it might be Russian system.

Then last year with oilers he did same and I thought it was RKs system.

Under Eakins he is doing same and the coach is calling him out.

I love his offense but if yak doesn’t listen he will lose .

71. Young Oil says:

That being said, I really hope he’ll allow Yak to play tomorrow.

72. Henry says:

sliderule:
    If you watch Yak it looks like he doesn’t want to engage.

Then last year with oilers he did same and I thought it was RKs system.

Under Eakins he is doing same and the coach is calling him out.

I love his offense but if yak doesn’t listen he will lose .

I’m not sure I’d read to much into this ‘controversy’.

The kid is in his second language trying to express that he wants to play but doesn’t think banger is the best part of his game. He spent one shift at the beginning of the third against Montreal hitting everything except Joey Moss. Then not as much afterward. Eakins wants him to use his teammates and be more consistent than Semin.

IMO Hall went from a good to a great player last year because he used his teammates more effectively. It will come for Yak too. He’s gifted and until this bit, he’s seemed very coachable.

73. jp says:

godot10: Eakins had all summer and a training camp.Two things Krueger did not have.And because of the strike, you could only have limited contact to players who were not AHL eligible.Yet, Krueger clearly had a plan for Yakupov.He played all the games.Let NHL rookie scoring, even after starting slowly.

Um, Krueger had a full summer just like Eakins did. Shortened training camp, but also an extra few months to think about things.

russ99:

I understand that Yakupov shouldn’t be expected to be the Oilers primary physical presence, but “forechecking… every shift”? How exactly could you (or Yakupov) have an issue with that? Clearly Yakupov can (and should?) physically engage more. Remember that shift a couple of games back where Yakupov threw 3 hits on the forecheck (as Henry was nice enough to mention)? Wasn’t that awesome? Wouldn’t him doing that with regularity help him score more and the team win? I do agree we need to be careful interpreting his comments due to the language issue, but I have a very difficult time understanding what the problem is with Eakins asking for more consistent forecheck pressure from Yakupov (including hitting a D when the opportunity arises).

74. Zelepukin says:

well that’s an a-grade troll comment… being “not thrilled” with a coach because he believes every forward should forecheck.

75. Andropod says:

No posts for 30 minutes! Did everybody go off to bed or did all those Jack Daniels finally take effect?

Andropod:

It’s probably all the baseball/hockey/football/turkey/Crown Royal.

77. Andropod says:

Have a good night LT!

78. Maggie the Monkey says:

hunter1909,

Try to keep some perspective, sir. This comment is off-side.

hunter1909: You sir, are a troll.

A fucking mega troll.

I read about your health ‘issues’ yet I don’t care if you live out the night.

Capice?

79. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: GREAT article, DSF. Thanks for sharing. I love Yakupov and Eakins in that article. Father and Son.

Let’s hope it ends better than the song.

80. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    So… is this whole exercise some kind of Rex impression?

Who cares? It worked! Keep it up LT. Maybe next time do something on Gernat’s low point totals, I love that kid and am cheering like heck for him. ;)

81. TheOtherJohn says:

While Oiler fans are performing hari kari over the present state of Oiler goaltending I assume everyone has factored into their math calculations that the Oilers have been playing the weak nancy Eastern conference. Does that effect our SF/SA ratio which we are justifiably proud of? Except our strong SF/SA has been achieved against NJD, Montreal, Toronto & Winnipeg (all Eastern teams) and the shit show that was Vancouver

Know I’m not the first that thought of this but what happens when the Oilers quit playing the weak sisters in the East and start playing the big boys out West?

Because the Western Confernce, excluding the Oilers, is killing the Eastern conference. Us, not so much

Yak is a competitive kid that will be just fine.

82. RexLibris says:

Brownlee has an interesting take on ON about the Oilers situation. Paraphrased: “if 5 games is enough to hit the panic button on Dubnyk then it also ought to be enough time to recognize that the Oilers have some nice things happening 5v5 and in the faceoff circle.

Here’s where I stand:

- Eakins is making everyone accountable, sitting Smyth and now Yakupov. Nobody gets a pass, be they rookie or hallowed veteran. He said it and he’s doing it. Nice for a change.

- The Oilers are pretty hooped in net, but all thing eventually revert to a baseline and we are as likely to see the GA come down over the next two weeks as anything. Dunbyk is Dubnyk, he isn’t this bad, but neither is he Ken Dryden. Either way, it may not matter by season’s end based on what we think we know of MacTavish’s confidence in him.

- I’d wagered a friend that the Oilers would surpass the Flames in the standings by Oct 23rd (he guessed the 20th) and we are both likely to be wrong. But the Oilers play the Flames Nov. 16th and if they haven’t sorted themselves out by then, this season is pretty much done.

83. BlacqueJacque says:

Speaking of coverage on other sites, I accidentally clicked a Tencer link at CoH and was pleasantly surprised. A solid all-around article. Even this nugget:

*I don’t mind the healthy scratch of Nail Yakupov. Honestly, though, I’d probably wonder if I was him why the rules are different for me than for Taylor Hall, who has had some tough nights already originating from some stubbornly individual play.

Good point.

84. TheOtherJohn says:

Brownlee has an opinion. So what. When J Schultz misses the next game for bad decision making instead of playing 24 minutes I’ll agree with him. Until then, keep blocking people who comment on ON who disagree with him

85. Big Dan says:

“Steve Smith”,

You’re right, Arcobello is not equivalent to Gagner in terms of offensive ability or experience. I just think that if this keeps up, they will not need to re-sign Hemsky or find a RW (as I think Yakupov will be dealt in MacT’s “bold” deal). He needs to find the back of the net himself though.

Gagner could move to RW (although he is better as a center) if Arco proves worthy as a 2nd line center over an extended period. But in that scenario, there’s too many smurfs again (which is why Cogliano was shipped out).

I do think Arco is better on faceoffs and 200-foot game than Gagner. He’s also clutch in AHL playoffs. Gagner’s a cherry picker IMHO. Fiesty, competitive, but a little lazy defensively. Arco on the other hand gets it. Worst case scenario is he sticks as the 4th line center & 2nd power play unit who can move up the lineup as required.

86. Racki says:

It’s important that all players are on the same page. I don’t think of him as a black sheep or anything, but you do what the coach tells you because he has the master plan.. not the young 2nd line winger. You at least owe the team to humor the coach’s plan for at least a good chunk of the season. I don’t want to hear about how he doesn’t like skating hard or forechecking… because this is the NHL. This isn’t the KHL or some other league. Everyone has to skate their ass off. Everyone has to buy in to the game plan or you’re going to have issues.

Say what you will about Hall making stupid passes this year, but he at least buys into the system and plays it.

These weren’t all the words I was hoping to hear from Yak, to be honest. Don’t want to read too much into it because a) some may get lost in translation and b) it’s easy to misread what someone is saying.

Bookje: I’ve deleted your post (and the other one). I wasn’t aware of this, and agree there’s no place for that here. Appreciate you passing it along. Sincerely.

88. Racki says:

Sorry, my post above was re: Yakupov, obviously, and meant to say “young 3rd line winger”

It actually worries me a little that Yak will be part of the next bold move because of lack of falling in line. Hopefully I’m just reading into things too much. Looking forward to seeing how he responds, his next game in the lineup

89. Zelepukin says:

Racki:

Agreed. The fact that the article says he was ‘fuming’ and ‘possibly’ sitting out next game is unnecessarily adding fuel to a fire that really hasn’t even started yet.

90. stevezie says:

Young Oil: I have complete trust in whatever Eakins chooses to do with the players. He did wonders for so many of the young players in Toronto, and helped them flourish into quality hockey players.

This is an excellent point. Working with the young has been the man’s speciality so far.

91. bookje says:

Thanks LT – I figured that was the case.

92. BlacqueJacque says:

Found a link to the story.

93. Hammers says:

All that I read seems to revolve around complaints & jumping from player to player to pick on . Eakins has a job and it’s to get the most out of the players he has. How and if he does that determines how long he stays here . If he plays Dubnyk or not or Yak or not it is on him .All these blogs really do is to give the rest of us a voice . My point would be to play Dubnyk & Yak . Yak with Hall & RNH . My reason is Hemsky can play with Gordon and help stabalize that line and Joensuu is a better option on the 4th line . As for DD , he is still our best goalie and sometimes you have to go with the odds . My biggest concern is with J.Schultz getting to many minutes but I guess we trust in Eakins .

94. LMHF#1 says:

Marincin needs to go Marincin on him.

95. Racki says:

From this article

Late to the party on this, but I feel terrible for Dubnyk. I’ve had that feeling before of letting a team down. It sucks. When things go wrong in cases like that, they tend get worse before they get better too, because of the whole mental side that is involved. You know Dubnyk is beating himself up over it.

I hope Labarbera plays well enough for Dubnyk to get a good stretch of games off and get his head together again. I don’t believe he’s a top end goalie, but I do believe his game (up until this year) had been good enough for the Oilers to win most nights, if most everyone else is playing well. It is especially crappy that everything else seems to be coming together (minus maybe Yakupov), and good play by an important position like the goaltender is MIA.

96. russ99 says:

Woodguy:
    russ99,

This team needs a strong hand at the tiller.

Strong personalities require and even stronger one to lead them.

Zelepukin,

I’m OK with the coach being a strong personality, and dealing with the players in a strong manner, but the reason I’m becoming disillusioned with Eakins requires backstory:

Unlike most of you, the Oilers are not my hometown team. I became a fan in 1982 watching the Oilers destroy the Blackhawks at the old Chicago Stadium and have been an Oiler fan ever since. Through most of that time, the Oilers have played open, fast, exciting offensive hockey.

Even in the 2006 Cup final year, our top lines played this way, and yet we had some very good defensive lines. This is where my preference differs from the current MacT/Eakins approach. I think the top 6 should be given free rein to create offense, and we should have a shutdown line to clamp down the best opposing players.

Yak’s comments to me are a signal, that like under Renney (who had a similar reaction as Yak from Taylor Hall), Coach Eakins expects every player to conform to a defensive standard, and most telling is this idea that all our players should “hit somebody” every shift. Also, it seems that most of our scoring chances/shot advantage comes from cycling and getting a player in front of the net, rather than through offensive creativity and individual skill.

This is not our top, young players’ skillset, and is not OIlers hockey, and this to me is the reason for our lackluster play so far this year.

While I understand the need for the current team to learn some discipline in the defensive zone, this shouldn’t be the core focus of the team. You have to play offense and defense to win games. At some point the shackles are going to have to come off.

If MacT/Eakins plan is turning the Oilers into a second-rate Predators or Devils and that is our path to the playoffs, then maybe we’re selling part of our souls to get there.