TAYLOR HALL INJURED

Taylor Hall suffered a left knee injury today in the Oilers game in Ottawa. The impact winger–one of the NHL’s best–injured the knee in the second period of the game in two sequences. First, he was hit by Senators defender Eric Gryba, who caught his knee during the flow of play. Hall winced, lashed out with his stick and took two minutes. The Oiler exited the box after the penalty and joined the rush, grabbing the puck and shooting toward the net before his knee failed him and he clearly showed signs of injury.

Hall skated back to the Oiler bench, limped to the room and several minutes later the Oilers posted a quick release saying his left knee was injured and he would not return.

• Edmonton Oilers: Coach Eakins says post-game Taylor Hall’s knee injury will likely “be more than a day or two” but no official diagnosis yet.

There’s not an Oiler fan alive who doesn’t realize the possible significance of this injury. Gryba does have a suspension history.

• Gene Principe: Taylor Hall just walked out of Edmonton dressing room.Not a doctor but no major limp and didn’t seem to be overly favouring his left knee.

81 Responses to "TAYLOR HALL INJURED"

1. theres oil in virginia says:

I was hoping for “charley horse”.

2. David says:

Omark get’s a call up?

David: I think it could be, although Jonathan mentioned Lander and Pitlick as being at the top of the list of forward recalls in an article last night. Also mentioned Omark.

4. the_Fab_5 says:

add “injury prone” to Hall’s resume…kid can’t catch a break

5. stubblejumper says:

David,

I sure hope not. They need someone that will play as part of the team. Omark will just do his own thing. Opposite of what they need imho. I vote for Pitlick. He will be very motivated.

6. striatic says:

If it is a Hyperextended knee, recovery time is 2 to 4 weeks.

If it is as mild as Doctor Principe seems to believe, might be on the low end of that timetable.

Could be much, much worse.

7. Schitzo says:

I’m the furthest thing from a doctor, but when you can put weight on the leg and have zero side-to-side support, doesn’t that usually mean MCL or ACL?

8. Ice Sage says:

striatic:
    If it is a Hyperextended knee, recovery time is 2 to 4 weeks.

Could be much, much worse.

No, not much worse if he’s weight-bearing normally. Good opportunity for Yak.

9. David says:

If Hall’s going to miss time, we’ll need Eberle to continue his play. Simply excellent the past few games.

10. stephen sheps says:

Just got back to Kingston from Ottawa. A few more quick thoughts.

1) Perron is a total shit-disturber and it is absolutely fantastic.
    2) someone else in the last thread said it, but 27-94-83 need to stay together for a while. It works by eye, even if the fancy stats disagree.
    3) Petry is a gem and Belov is coming around. Really liked his game today.

It also can’t be overstated just how wonderful the Oiler fanbase is across the country. Ran into a buddy from Edmonton who lives in Toronto now and came up for the game, and the section I was in easily had as much Oiler blue as Senator red. And we were far more engaged with the game than most of the Sens fans. I love away games, especially when the good guys come out with the win.

11. loilfan says:

Trading for Perron might be my favorite MacT move this summer.

12. striatic says:

Ice Sage: No, not much worse if he’s weight-bearing normally. Good opportunity for Yak.

Just trying to be optimistic.

IS there confirmation it is a torn MCL or ACL?

13. "Steve Smith" says:

Schitzo:
    I’m the furthest thing from a doctor,

Really? You’re a sedimentary mineral?

14. striatic says:

Percentages FINALLY starting to to catch up with the Maple Leafs.

Oilers win in Montreal and they’re 2-2-1 on this trip. Is my wine math correct?

16. Ribs says:

Three losses this week (WSH, PIT, NYI).

Ribs:
    Three losses this week (WSH, PIT, NYI).

Right. Knew something was wrong. So win in MTL and it’s 2-3-1.

18. Ribs says:

Definitely could be worse!

19. Schitzo says:

“Steve Smith”: Really?You’re a sedimentary mineral?

You’re clearly not a scientist. I’m made of rich mahogany.

20. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lowetide: Right. Knew something was wrong. So win in MTL and it’s 2-3-1.

Or lose and it’s 1-4-1.

Against the WC (the 4 point games) 0-2-0

Against the EC 2-4-1

The next 5 WC games are vs. PHX, LAK, CHI, DAL and SJS.

Yikes.

Dead Cat Bounce: Or lose and it’s 1-4-1.

Against the WC (the 4 point games) 0-2-0

Against the EC 2-4-1

The next 5 WC games are vs. PHX, LAK, CHI, DAL and SJS.

Yikes.

Vancouver looked good today.

22. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lowetide: Vancouver looked good today.

Lost the coin flip.

23. 719 says:

Why didn’t Gazdic or Brown pound Gryba’s face in? Isn’t that why MacT acquired Gazdic for and Eakins puts both of them out there for?

Maybe I just don’t understand hockey.

24. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Seth Jones with his 2nd goal and 4th point.

25. gogliano says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Vancouver Lost.

yep

26. Bank Shot says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Lost the coin flip.

They should call up that Sergei Shirokov kid. He looks like a real winner.

27. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Bank Shot: They should call up that Sergei Shirokov kid.He looks like a real winner.

Don’t think they need to.

Only 2 points out of the Pacific division lead despite playing most of their games on the road.

CF%

MIN 60.4

SJS 59.3

CHI 58.0

BOS 57.4

ANA 55.2

VCR 54

EDM 46.5

28. spoiler says:

gogliano:

Dead Cat Bounce: Vancouver Lost.

yep

29. Dead Cat Bounce says:

spoiler: They should thank the heavens that Fleury gifted them that lucky goal or they wouldn’t even have been in the coin toss..

They outshot the Penguins 39-28.

Good grief.

30. "Steve Smith" says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

I recall a very wise man repeatedly emphasizing, generally in the most asinine possible way, that shots and attempts are no substitute for outscoring.

No, wait, that wasn’t a very wise man at all.

31. BlacqueJacque says:

The Sharks are scary good. Best franchise outside of Detroit? When was the last time they were bad?

Moroz another goal.

33. Dead Cat Bounce says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Dead Cat Bounce,

No, wait, that wasn’t a very wise man at all.

Shots are…attempts are for losers.

34. BlacqueJacque says:

Also, Logan Couture looks like such a greasy little shit. Some hippie bum from 1969 San Francisco. I just want to buy him a shave and a haircut, or at least get someone to wash his hair and see if that mustache will rub off with some mom’s spit and a handkerchief. Honestly, ugliest guy in the game right now.

35. Dead Cat Bounce says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Also, Logan Couture looks like such a greasy little shit.Some hippie bum from 1969 San Francisco.I just want to buy him a shave and a haircut, or at least get someone to wash his hair and see if that mustache will rub off with some mom’s spit and a handkerchief.Honestly, ugliest guy in the game right now.

Brad Marchand?

36. BlacqueJacque says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

oh fine I’ll edit and be nice

37. BlacqueJacque says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

Bad nose but otherwise a face that doesn’t look like it belongs on a baboon. Actually, Couture looks less like a baboon and more like a victim of really bad fetal alcohol syndrome. Bieksa looks like a baboon.

38. OilBuzz says:

Mike Smith doing a variation on his usual diving maneuver. Faceplants and sprawls out on the ice after making a save, looks like a groin injury, but 2 minutes later he’s perfectly fine. Resulting goal is nullified.

39. spoiler says:

Dead Cat Bounce: They outshot the Penguins 39-28.
    Good grief.

How would that have got them into the shootout?

Good grief.

Nor do those numbers surprise me since they apparently shoot from centre ice.

40. dawgtoy says:

I have a very bad feeling that this won’t be good news for Taylor Hall or the Oil. BTW, face punchers are a complete waste of time. Can anyone still really believe that they act as a deterrence for these types of injuries? I see the Hockey Wilderness goofs are vocal as usual, and happy that karma has reared its ugly head towards Hall and his knee. They feel Hall got what he deserved. A real classy bunch in Minny.

41. spoiler says:

Scherzer in trouble here.

42. Dead Cat Bounce says:

dawgtoy:

Well, Hall did stick his knee out on Clutterbuck and was suspended for it.

Karma?

43. hunter1909 says:

BlacqueJacque:

We hate Logan Couture like everyone else used to hate Glenn Anderson.

He’s the kind of player who often wins championships.

44. hunter1909 says:

Re Hall: Good thing Oilers have so many top 6 players, lol.

45. Dead Cat Bounce says:

That pesky Tyler Seguin with his 4th goal and 9th point in his 7th game.

46. Gordies Elbow says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

So?

Why is this relevant?

47. remlap says:

Gordies Elbow:
    Dead Cat Bounce,

So?

Why is this relevant?

48. Gordies Elbow says:

remlap,

From Wikipedia:
    “a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response.”

Yep, clearly trying to troll.

I came here from other blogs and news sites, due to the quality of posting, and while I don’t post often, I’m a regular reader.

I left the other sites because of individuals like this, and given what I’ve read online, some sites encourage this as a means of formenting discourse, insofar as it drives hits to the site. The risk, though, is “jumping the shark,” where the constant negative discourse drives away posters who would otherwise post valuable content.

In engineering, signal to noise ratio is critical. I think that it might be the same for operators of advertising driven sites.

Any thought to an ignore capability on the WP site?

49. rich says:

remlap: Why haven’t we just started ignoring DSF? That’s typically how you deal with trolls.

This.

Don’t feed a troll.

50. dangilitis says:

I think we are all collectively trying to educate him that only the biggest douche fan feels so bad about his own team that he spends most of his time on a blog for an opposing team. Insulting the oilers is like fishing with dynamite, it’s pretty easy to do but the thing that bothers me the most is he’s still bad at it. He can’t even stick to defensible attacks. Take this recent comment about seguin. He must know that hall has 0.85 ppg and seguin has 0.62 ppg, but he posts the comment because he’s too lazy to pick a better stat than seguins 6 game stretch of production. Perhaps he should talk about seguins 18 pts in 42 playoff games (0.43 ppg) or 14 pts in his last 40 playoff games…

51. gogliano says:

I think OilersNation feeds the troll.

I like to think that the DSF-LTers relationship is a little more elevated than that. Maybe my feelings would be different if he cheered for a winner franchise, but the relationship always seemed more like a meta commentary on trolldom, alienation, and sadness than any genuine pattern of trolling attempt + emotional response. The only real problem seems to come when there is a flood of newcomers who take him seriously for a post or two.

52. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Sean Monahan with 8 points in 7 games…and counting.

53. commonfan14 says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Sean Monahan with 8 points in 7 games…and counting.

Barry Sanders with 15,269 yards on 3,062 carries…no longer counting.

Dead Cat Bounce: games

Fine young player. Flames got a good one there. Suspect they’ll be add inother this summer.

55. spoiler says:

This is what TSN has to say about the knee injury:

It wasn’t all good news for the Oilers though, as they lost Taylor Hall in the second period to a left knee injury. After an innocent looking play just inside the Ottawa blue-line Hall turned and hobbled to the bench and directly to the dressing room and did not return.

Pulitzer Prize journalism there.

He left following the game with his knee in a brace but without the use of crutches. His immediate condition was not known.

That’s not great news, but it is a helluva lot better than crutches.

56. Hammers says:

Hall out so eakins has to do a few things . get a decent pp . restructure his lines . make a decision on 6th “D” . right about now i don’t care who is getting points but i do care if the oil can get some . DD seems to be bouncing back and we still need a defenceman in a trade . good luck mct .

57. spoiler says:

Khaira was out of the lineup tonight with an undisclosed upper body injury.

58. G Money says:

spoiler:
    Khaira was out of the lineup tonight with an undisclosed upper body injury.

If it’s a shoulder injury, then he’s truly on track to be an Oiler.

59. misfit says:

I don’t consider myself much of a pessimist, and obviously I hope it’s a minor thing, but Hall’s knee looked bad to me, and I really don’t expect him back any time soon, crutches or not.

Even our wins are losses this year.

60. jp says:

Nichushkin off to a 6-0-0-0 start. And -3 with just 3 SOG. Maybe they send him back to “junior”?

I’m no expert, but I’ve never been sold on Nichushkin due his lack of actual production. I was OK with the Nurse pick at the draft, but I’m VERY happy with it since seeing him in camp.

61. jp says:

BlacqueJacque:
    The Sharks are scary good.Best franchise outside of Detroit?When was the last time they were bad?

They are, but where are the cups? That’s what sets the Sharks apart from the Wings or the Devils.

62. striatic says:

jp,

Nurse is going to be great. The waiting is going to be excruciating though.

63. DenverOilFan says:

719:
    Why didn’t Gazdic or Brown pound Gryba’s face in?Isn’t that why MacT acquired Gazdic for and Eakins puts both of them out there for?

Maybe I just don’t understand hockey.

I just watched the game, hopped over to LT, read all the comments to see if anyone was seeing what I was seeing, and feel the need to chime in. Even though the Oil won the game, worked hard, never gave up, and got some good goaltending, one thing was very clear to me: I don’t know what the official hit count was, but the Sens had way more BIG hits against the Oil — particularly against our small skill guys. All I could think to myself was “would someone go over there and hammer them back”. Sure, maybe the Oil were throwing a check here or there, but without pushback in the physical department (let alone pushback on the scoreboard), the Oil won’t be able to sustain the full 82 this way. It goes without saying Hall was a target and suffered from his reckless style of play. It’s bound to happen with his style. But take the play where Hemsky gets pummeled into the end board in the 3rd, or Neil just about taking Belov’s head off behind the net, and Eberle getting smoked all game long.

It’s been said over and over again in this forum that the skill guys just don’t need nor can play with that physical pushback. But you know what? 82 regular season games plus 16-28 playoff games to win a Stanley Cup, I simply can’t see this team being setup for success. You look at SJS, VAN, LA and Boston — they have skill and size, and they both cycle and hammer their opponents into submission. Good lord I wanna reach through the screen and take matters into my own hands when I see hit after hit after hit and nothing done “legally” in return to their players. I just don’t see us going very far with our sticks and stones may break our bones mantra…

Did the coaching staff and/or professional scouts provide a list of players on eastern conference teams for the Oilers star players to be wary of when they were on the ice? And if not, why not?

Why didn’t the media ask Eakins this question?

65. dangilitis says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

That’s great news. Up there in the rookie scoring race with the likes of Mackinnon, Hertl and…. Arcobello?

I can’t wait for them to keep him up for the season and burn off year 1 of the “rebuild”

66. Racki says:

I would like to see Pitlick called up. Obviously losing Hall for any length of time sucks, but this team is a fair bit more deeper with skill forwards than it really has ever been. This just means opportunity for someone else already on this team to shine. Quite frankly, I have no interest in seeing Omark here.

It’s good timing that Nail has made the switch to left wing this recent game. David Perron can go back to it for a while, so my top six forwards with Hall out would include:

Nuge, Eberle, Perron, Yakupov, Arcobello, Hemsky. Hemsky bumps up off that 3rd line for a bit. Pitlick could fill in there for now. I would imagine Gagner will return somewhat soon too, so that will help if Hall is gone more than a few games.

It’s not ideal, but it’s not terrible. Really, the offense on this team isn’t too much of a concern, it’s more the defensive ability (which was still a big question mark after tonight, despite the win).

67. spoiler says:

We need Joensuu back. We need Joensuu’s back. ASAP.

We really missed his physical presence today. And with Hall down we need a LWer.

—-

It drives me nuts that the Oilers don’t consistently drive the slot, go to the crease, create traffic, and get shots at the net… Almost all of their offensive success at evens comes from doing these things. And the lack of it shows in the Corsi these last two games. I find that more frustrating than the anemic powerplay or the porous penalty kill. Those things can be coached and adapted and refined. But you can’t coach that willingness.

68. Racki says:

Moroz another goal.

His progress this year is very, very pleasing. Tied for 2nd on the team in points and tied for 1st in goals. Hopefully that translates in OKC next year, and at the NHL level eventually. My kind of player. I imagine he’ll probably translate to a Jared Boll type when he reaches the NHL though, so expectations aren’t huge, but I figure that for his slightly lower potential.

69. russ99 says:

IMO, it’s neither Pitlick nor Omark. First off, Jones will get more ice time while Hall is injured, with Joensuu getting that ice time when he’s back.

Omark had a fantastic game, but it’s only one game. I’m a huge Omark fan, but IMO the Oilers brass will want to see that kind of impact across a number of games before he’s called up.

Pitlick rotting in the press box with a few limited minutes does nothing for his development. Keep him into AHL all year with a bottom six role ready for him next year.

I’m going with Hamilton. He’s cleared waivers and won’t need to re-clear until after a specific number of games.

70. dawgtoy says:

“Forwards Tomas Fleischmann, Kris Versteeg, Scottie Upshall, Shawn Matthias, Brad Boyes and Marcel Goc are among those available along with Tom Gilbert and Dmitry Kulikov, just to name a few.”

Matthias and Kulikov would both be fantastic in Oil silks.

71. DeadmanWaking says:

Trollhood is a big subject, permanently withering on the vine of “not now”.

When it’s not a problem, no-one wants to break the spell by mentioning it. When it is a problem, people are fresh off the exchange of hot blows (or irritated by these noisome skirmishes) and the mood tilts aggressively toward shallow discussions and quick solutions. I think every marriage has at least one issue that always falls on “not now” by the same process.

Trollhood is a big subject. I don’t know how much I’m going to say tonight, but I just expanded my input box to 15″ tall.

I barely know where to start.

“Begin at the beginning,”, the King said, very gravely, “and go on till you come to the end: then stop”

Yes, I’ve heard that before. When it doubt, begin at the beginning.

That’s problematic. Trollhood is in contention for the world’s third-oldest profession, when some excitable gamma male squatted on a branch, green with envy at the politician and the prostitute making hay. If misery can’t have company, it settles for commotion. A wise strategy–an irritable social milieu is corrosive to stable sexual alliance. If the politician and the prostitute get on each other’s nerves sooner rather than later, you just might get your turn.

In modern society, envy is an adolescent right of passage: the worship/idolatry of rock stars, celebrities, and athletes. To the maturing mind what’s superficially obvious is the outcome: money for nothing and chicks for free. What’s less obvious is the process.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.

I have sympathy for the scrawny chimp perched on his haunches stewing in a metacognitive haze, because the objects of his envy are equally deluded: it’s human nature to attribute success (specifically, one’s own) to competence and good management, and failure to chance and circumstance.

I’d vote for renaming this the Dunning-Kruger spectrum. The sober perspective on this, among scientists, is that chance favours the prepared mind; among musicians, that chance favours manic obsession and shaking your tail; among athletes, that chance favours the peewee soccer mom; among celebrities, that chance favours the bathroom mirror.

To cut a long story short (as I encroach upon 15″) somehow trolls end up inhabiting the cold and dewy long-grass of self-actualization. They come to the table with chaff because they lack their own stuff. It’s impossible for a mind lacking a whalebone corset to keep Freud straight, but here we enter the territory of sublimation, displacement, and projection. Before the whalebone, it was vampires and harpies. To my view, most of Freud’s patients had ego-id whalebone disorder. This is not so much repression–merely the trusty sidekick–as a dangerous dissociation between their social self and their inward self.

The ability to navigate this chasm is the great project of adolescence. We sometimes call this “personality”. The fluid self–robust under influence and pressure–is hard won. Which I suppose brings me at last, to the real beginning. I myself came to Lowetide thinking I had somehow botched that project long ago.

I think I might venture the conjecture, in all humility, that my failure was not for lack of “stuff”. One suspects, rather, that my “stuffness” was in half measure knowledge, and half measure social compensation. I wasn’t lacking for social confidence, to a first approximation, but only when I engaged on the slipshod and careening surface of my inward self. There was this old, isolated, small house in town–on the edge of a park siding an attractive, sandy beach–with horizontal curtains: old newspapers stacked nearly to the sill of every pane. Perhaps supporting those 15,000 old newspapers there were some family heirlooms. Who knows. At a certain point, the excess–or at least the inversion–of accumulated newsprint becomes coffin-like.

I’d dearly love to be a fly on a wall some day when Quentin Tarantino bumps into Peter Jackson and the conversation turns to how Grond made slow work of breaching Helm’s keep (during which time the cavalry was assembled and mounted in their Sunday breastplate) impeded by a few inches of wood, a few bags of sand and some slender poles, whereas Beatrix Kiddo makes short work of an inch of wood and six feet of dirt (gravitating downward), punching from a prone position–presumably uphill in both directions–without the use of her trunk or legs. Must have been the sadistic manchu.

I elected instead to bore my way out. Drilling many small shafts of light. Inch by inch. Paper by paper. Post by post. I have from time to time shouldered the M1928 Thompson from under my housecoat to expedite matters. Once I went off on DSF. I feel sheepish after these outbursts, standing in a pile of smoldering shell casings, in a small abode, with no clear path to the exit through the tottering stacks of 15,000 well-ventilated newspapers aged halfway to dust. In that instance, I made the mistake of parsing his post before spying the byline.

This visual image is misleading in one respect: I never drill the same hole twice. That’s the only thing that keeps the process bearable. This matters. It’s the whole mealworm deal. How I choose to ventilate the 15,000 daily newspapers of my remembered life is all there is. Writers call this “voice”. You have to earn your sonorities. Hunter S. Thompson earned his unique sonority from behind a revolving door of Varminters and Thompsons–and heaps of blotter paper.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers … and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.

… Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge.”

I’m not into being that blotted. Finally he killed himself. WackedManDying, RIP.

Have I said anything about trolls yet? Maybe I haven’t reached the beginning after all–though I can practically smell second breakfast. First let’s return to envy. I dropped that thread.

Professor (trying to interrupt him) No! John … John … John
    Do you see what they are doing in there? It’s the pens, reserved for the member of the department who makes the achievement of a lifetime. Now what do you see john?

John RECOGNITION

Prof Try seeing ACCOMPLISHMENT.

John Is there a difference?

That’s Akiva Goldsman dropping a loud penny (not quite in the same league as Peter Brand dropping the loud loonie “It’s a metaphor.”)

Envy sours when it fixates on being focal to the fête rather than on hoeing the hard road of becoming, that hard road with only one possible destination–yourself–whatever awards you gather.

The person who doesn’t scatter the morning dew will not comb grey hairs.

There’s Hunter again. He’s a hard act to follow.

Okay, back to the new beginning I promised a short moment ago. We live in interesting times. I’ve lost the source for this one, but I encountered recently the view that people living through pivotal social change often don’t perceive it as such at the time. It’s mostly seen from the historical view. Except for the Al Gore. Even Dan Quayle could see that this one would topple the iceberg.

Alessandro Acquisti (former music producer and Grand Prix bike racer gone to geek) was on TED recently proclaiming privacy as a “generational defining battle”.

At least a side ring in the circus of prurience and privacy is this new age of public discourse. Yet another code of decorum to cobble together all over again. Seems to flare up every time the huddled masses yearn to breath fire in a new media. For better or worse, twirping is with us forever, this conduit of the 99%, this nattering consensus of the quasi-engaged.

So far we’ve arrived at only the most basic social precept: don’t blow floating embers around the room. Ignore the trolls. The thrill of banging burning logs together will fade if the firemen never arrive. Unless it doesn’t.

Lowetide’s esteemed blog seems to attract a steady trickle of refugees from scorched earth. For some reason we have a mystery ingredient.

Yesterday I took a lick through The Plateau Effect: Getting from Stuck to Success. Only a lick. There was no original substance. Their own solution to breaking the plateau effect (which isn’t even a real thing) is to emulate Malcolm Gladwell. Dorothy Parker once described the type:

It is not a book to be lightly thrown aside. It should be thrown with great force.

That’s a little bit too strong, but I felt page after page they were doing a damn shady job of primary attribution, especially when the source was deeper, more engaging, and more enlightening than their glib rehash (e.g. Daniel Kahneman). They define a plateau, in effect, as any form of change that naturally diminishes. This excludes acromegaly, but not much else.

There were key phrases from time to time worth capturing. They’re fine wordsmiths of mellifluous pap. No, again that’s too harsh. The problem is that they’ve ground up macadamia nuts and acai berries and fed it through the reader’s digester tube, as an MRE for the stultified suit.

They are right, though, that there’s often a mystery ingredient behind success that’s elusive to replicate.

We have that here. It’s more than just ignoring the trolls, as Gogliano astutely observed. Maybe it’s fragile, maybe it isn’t. Darn hard to say.

gogliano:

Now, we have finally arrived at the beginning. For real. This time I promise. This elusive mystery ingredient. What is it?

Hark, I smell second breakfast. Dammitall, why did I bother? I got nowhere.

Tyler tweeted a couple vines of the knee on knee.

First one is awful. That looks like 4 weeks + if nothing snapped:

2nd one is more to show Gryba’s line of attack:

73. cabbiesmacker says:

BlacqueJacque:

The best players always look like they’ve combed their hair with a pork chop.

i.e. Ovechkin

74. cabbiesmacker says:

hunter1909: We hate Logan Couture like everyone else used to hate Glenn Anderson.

He’s the kind of player who often wins championships.

Is that why the Oilers didn’t take him? Or was it his strong shoulders?

75. dawgtoy says:

DeadmanWaking,

Uh…what? I need another cup of coffee I think.

76. cabbiesmacker says:

spoiler:
    .We need Joensuu’s back.ASAP.

Actually we need Joensuu with someone else’s back

77. cabbiesmacker says:

dawgtoy:
    DeadmanWaking,

Uh…what? I need another cup of coffee I think.

Lace it with something and it all fits. Methampetamine’s or a good wood preservative should get the job done.

It’s like watching Naked Lunch…clean and sober.

78. Colonel Obvious says:

That was awesome Deadman. You should go back and read some Plato. Perhaps start with the Meno, and watch the inner self being discovered.

79. oliveoilers says:

DeadmanWaking,

I think you may be reading a little too much into it. When I am feeling like you are, I turn to the Book of Homer. Episode where Bart gets an elephant (Stampy) and they eventually return him to a sanctuary where Stampy immediately starts butting other elephants. Marge asks the warden “why is he doing that?” To which the warden replies “sometime animals are just jerks. Mr. Simpson, please stop doing that.” Cut to scene of Homer butting the warden. You see, sometimes people are just what they are, without justification. I admit I used to have problems when I was younger with dealing with people whenever they were nasty or obnoxious. Then I saw the light……

Awesome read though, can’t wait until the next one!

80. sliderule says:

Ottawa had six forwards over 210 lbs in their lineup.The oilers zero.

Our team is not built to win the Corsi battle.Ottawa just sent the big guys to the net and shot the puck from everywhere .

With Dubys problems with long shots teams are shooting from outside the blue to score not to dump it in.
    If Duby can keep out the long ones and avoid rebounds that can be used to the oils advantage

81. matt says:

Coming from a family of knee-injury prone skiers, I was encouraged to see Hall be weight-bearing, but appear to experience sharp pain. It made me think there was a MCL issue on the lighter side. I’ve taken out my MCL twice with partial tears, and roughed up my ACL and PCL along the way. Cousins have had ACL issues. I’ve seen folks gingerly ski down the moutain to get their newly ACL-less knees looked at. Less short term pain, more long term issues. My MCL trips resulted in nice sled rides, but no surgery. Fixing the ACL or PCL requires surgery (some weaving with harvested hamstring, I think) and rehab. Fixing the MCL requires time and, depending on how much time, rehab. It gets great blood flow.

I’m hoping it’s a painful sprain, akin to Eberle a season or two ago, resulting in ~3 lost games. .