NADIR’S RAIDERS

They went 26-50-8 and gave up about 100 more goals than they scored, and surrendered 106 powerplay goals. No player scored more than 48 points, and only two (Petr Klima and Craig Simpson) got more than 20. Bill Ranford had a save percentage of .884 (Dubnyk is up to .881 now) and most of the boys on the bus were gone (MacT, Simpson, Klima, Esa, Ranford, Geoff Smith remained). The 1992-93 Edmonton Oilers offered no hope, no future, no sunny days.

mc5

This is not the same as 1992-93 in one important way: talent. I know having talent isn’t everything, but this team cannot continue this way without some major and potentially catastrophic things happening. There’s too much talent to be losing every night, something’s gotta give. I think we’ll see some movement now, in one of the following areas:

• adding an assistant coach, someone with a lot of experience. Craig Ramsay would be ideal.
  • adding a veteran presence to the forward group. A center would be ideal, someone in their late 20′s.
  • trading a central part of the Hall cluster, we may see Eberle in a new city before Christmas.

mc6

I think we should also be prepared for trade requests. A guy like Jason LaBarbera has probably already asked for one, but we might see men like Ales Hemsky or Nick Schultz request an exit. The important thing is that the Hall group (now down to Hall and Nuge, probably) doesn’t request one.

mc7

Igor Larionov will meet with Craig MacTavish today, he sounds more like a concerned Dad in this Matty piece:

• “I was a centre, I played the old-style, two-way game and he (Yakupov)  is a goal-scorer. Look at (Pavel) Bure when he was in Vancouver. (Sergei) Makarov and ((Vladimir) Krutov didn’t play defence either (Russian national team or Central Red Army as part of the KLM line). I was doing the dirty job for them. Makarov and Krutov would be high, waiting for the pass to take off.”

I think MacT and Eakins have hopes that Yakupov can be a more complete player. At the very least it’s important that he learn the rudimentary things a forward can do to support the play.

mc8

The 2013-14 Edmonton Oilers passed away in the hours before their final pre-season game. They were dull and uninspired after a solid pre-season, but that game specifically showed there was something wrong in the chemistry department. There’s some push back somewhere–maybe it’s because of Dallas Eakins’ comments before training camp–he resembled Tom Runnels in his verbal–or maybe it’s because there’s just too many kids in positions of great responsibility.

Either way, the Edmonton Oilers are a team in the National Hockey League. Barely.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

maria west side

10 this morning TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

235 Responses to "NADIR’S RAIDERS"

« Older Comments
  1. canaryinthecoalmine says:

@Logan91

Oh absolutely prepared. As I am not strongly advocating for any of what I wrote necessarily merely put it out as a thought experiment. However I am interested in whether people feel like addition through trade is only possible when you get a fair return – and if that type of fair return, given the state of the team, is only possible through a player that other teams covet more. If you can add the pieces you want incrementally through trading a ‘lesser’ piece of the core than Hall, then yes, no problem. I’m just curious if people think you ever get a good enough return on those lesser pieces such that you advance the team forward in satisfactory way.

2. jbfuzz says:

I’m happy that a group of underachieving players going through the motions night after night have been given the thumbs up by the GM. When does the “losing is unacceptable” speech comes into play. 2023? The “core” of this group has some kind of deficiency. Giving them an even greater sense of security does what for accountability exactly?

3. wintoon says:

MacT said what he had to say today in order to avoid a full scale meltdown by the players and coaching staff. What will prove whether MacT is a high quality GM is where he goes from here in terms of player acquisition. While I personally don’t like Burke, I will give him credit for being able to orchestrate deals. That was Tambellini’s greatest shortcoming. Hopefully that is not MacT’s as well. Should Gagner be considered a ‘core piece”?

4. rickithebear says:

Player: pick Goalie and Dmen
    On ice
    Shot for : Blank
    Shot aginst: blank
    Event type: shots and Goals
    Gane Tpe: home and Away
    Strength: Even, then toggle to PP
    Time: not Shootout
    You get an all shots value
    then toggle 0-10ft, 10-20ft, 20-30 ft, >30

I wish it would toogle in 5ft increment from
    0-5; 5-10; 10-15; 15-20, 20-25; then 25-35. 35-45; 45-55
    plus when you start to toggle thru you see the traingle from redline to post and out to the boards were 0-35ft shots almost never go in.
    i wish this traingle could be toggled off. i know the guy who runs the site could set it up so those areas could be
    exluded by x, y points.

When you run one review, right click the rink and choose source code.
    you can see how the data is visited.

My second day back at work!
    Chased a whole collection of tech data, manuals, and did first draft operation logic rewrites.

i will sit down after diner and have a drink of this beauty my dad sent me!

“Okanagan Spirits Black Currant liqueur was given the highest points score ever given to a product at the World spirits event.”

i will sit down and right my first draft of the operation logic to allow full plc control of the home brewey I am Building.

It gives me alot more joy than the oilers right now!

5. Andy P says:

wintoon,

I’d say yes, given that he has MacT’s word that he will not be traded this year, and he has an NTC for next year.

I’m sure that is based on the assumption that Gags will fit into Eakins’ plans to the best of his ability.
    I also think we should cut him some slack for his lack of performance so soon after his injury.

If you doubt his worth, he may need to brush up his D but last year he was a point machine. Obviously not good enough for some who probably couldn’t catch a dog in a driveway on a hot summer’s day. (In terms of athleticism)

6. lance says:

Romulus Apotheosis: The DGB piece is not a puff piece, clearly. The DP piece is and it follows on the trails of many others (I’m not making you responsible for them in anyway, just commenting on media trends).

So, you get stories about systems. Well, let’s analyze what Roy’s defensive system has produced (remember that d-systems have a trivial impact on SV%):

Ok… so, you and the DP article say the shots are all “perimeter” shots. If that is true, it would certainly be interesting and worth taking note of…

7. Marc says:

Woodguy:
    Prediction: Oilers 1st for Del Zotto. NYR needs to shed salary for next year so a 1st is what Sather would want in return.

The Rangers actually only have 9 guys under contract next season. They have some big names to re-sign, but with the cap increase they’ll have close to $40M to do it with. I don’t think they have to dump anyone unless they want to walk away.

They also don’t have much in the way D coming up through the system – McIlrath is actually off to a good start in the AHL this year, but he’s probably years away from being top 4 ready (if he ever is). Their only other half decent D prospect is in college, so is probably years away.

There also isn’t much in the way of top 4 D coming on the UFA market, especially if Markov and Phaneuf re-sign. If the Rangers give up any D I agree that it would be Del Zotto – he’s the weakest of their top 4 and Girardi is the only RD – but I don’t see why they give up any top 4 D with so little out there to replace it.

My guess is that the Oilers 1st will go to NJ for Larsson. He’s still on his ELC (which MacT says he wants) and he’s struggling this year. Plus the Devils suck and they’re going to lose their 1st round pick this year. A potential high pick would soften the blow for their fans

8. spoiler says:

lance: 1. I didn’t say anything about perimeter shots, I didn’t mention shots at all. (today at least).2. My understanding of systems has no significance. I did mention systems though, so there’s that.3. “d-systems have a trivial impact on SV%.” You are the first to describe SV% in relation to a m2m defense. I didn’t say anything about save percentages. I only mentioned man to man v zone.To repeat in my own words the key element from the Denver Post piece that I actually quoted:Patrick Roy and Adam Foote are citing Detroit, St. Louis, (and other unnamed ‘successful teams’) as examples of teams using a man to man defense.Previously on this blog there had been a consensus that zone defense is the only answer in hockey, but apparently, according to Roy and Foote (xf DP piece as previously quoted), DET and STL (and others) are using a man to man. Rom you have successfully attacked the Denver Post, you have spun the subject matter to be about save percentage and brought up the Minnesota Wild and seemingly missed the concept completely.I suggested that teams are using a m2m and that previous statements here on this blog discounting m2m as an option at all, are either: clearly wrong; Pat Roy has no idea what he’s talking about; or the DP completely misquoted Roy. I suspect door #1. (your efforts to spin the quote to be about something totally different makes me think: 1. you were the one suggest that m2m was impossible in the NHL; 2. you’ve been trained to spin an statement off subject into a realm where you can compete more successfully rather than accept that previous statements were errant; 3. you accepted your training hook line and sinker; and 4. mastered it.)Really the point was: it sounds like to me, according to the DP as quoted, a man to man defense is used by successful teams in the NHL, while the swarm is used by the smartest man in the room.thoughts on this? Now I’m even more curious given your double effort to side track the issue.

Some thoughts on this whole system brouhaha…

I had read last summer that the Wings were the only team left using true “Man” coverage, but have no idea where… maybe Friedman. Apparently the Blues have been doing so too.

As for the swarm, or zone overload, or whatever one wants to call it, we have seen other teams use the same system against the Oilers with great success this year. The LA Kings come to mind as a recent one (I have been paying less attention to the more very recent games).

And then there is the straight zone… which is often tied to a trap or lock D. Minny used this according to Nultz after he was traded here. He also made the point that it was much easier to play and less demanding than other systems, IIRC.

But even there, coaches differ. As Friedman said recently, the one difference to which Ryan had to adjust in Ottawa, is that Anaheim won’t pressure the half wall, whereas Ottawa always wants their wingers to do so (and both sound and look like some form of zone to me).

9. Ribs says:

Update to the minus race….. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZA7L7pCUAA0VC_.jpg:large

If it wasn’t so sad it’d be comical.

10. BrazilianOil says:

Assuming 4-14-64-57 are good enough as a top 6w and 93 as a 1c and 27 a 3c.: the team needs a strong TW 2c and two shutdown 3w. Give the 4 line to pitlick, lander and arco.

Petry, jschultz,belov and Ference NTC are IN in my books for the 14-15. Top pairing is requeried.

Assets: 1 round pick, hemsky, gagner ( despite the verbal agreement i doubt he is against a move to Toronto for example), can give you a 1D and 2C ?

The rest can be dealt for picks or flushed. Trade rhe expendable players for picks at deadline and the picks for a 3w at the draft.

The 2D and another 3W via free agency.

JMO

bookje: I think the Oilers #1 gets them more than Del Zotto.It projects to be a lottery pick.

I do think they will trade it away though and I think it is the right thing to do. They need to get value though.

I hope so.

Just trying to come up with a list that matches what MacT said:

1) Dman
    2) On ELC or RFA

Must come from a team that needs/wants to shed salary or sell a young player for a pick.

So far I only have:

1) Del Zotto
    2) Cowan
    3) Kulikov (maybe, wasn’t on a TSN list of “core” FLA players as per Bruce)

Feel free to add to it.

From today’s PC: When it comes to making deals, MacTavish says all teams want one of his core pieces. He’s not willing to part with one of those at this time.

Music!

Yay! More of the same!

Just read this:

My concern was they were about to make a huge reactionary move. I have no quarrel with moving a good piece for 100 cents on the dollar. I don’t believe you get that today.

Damn your reasonableness!

13. 8p0intgame says:

The Oilers’ system reminds me of my friend’s coaching strategy in NHL 13. 3-on-2 aggressive forecheck. Puck support D. The difference being my friend’s virtual players crash the net and an artificial intelligence program knows to move a forward back to the blue line when a D man joins the attack. :/

14. spoiler says:

Leaves are apparently looking for a RHS Dman… Not to mention scoring C help.

How about Gagner, Doob, Jultz for Phaneuf and Reimer? On the condition we can talk to Dion first and work out an extension? Add a role player from them and a pick from us if needed t o make salaries work.

I’m not sure Dion would play in Edmonchukski (maybe his Dad would be happy, but don’t know how you would ever be able to tell). He loves PEI and being out east and at the Centre of the Universe..

Jultz is going to be a great offensive Dman but this team needs a big-bodied all-round vet Dman right now. Remier would get a chance to earn a starter spot here. Doobie will be taking a demotion from starter one way or another this off-season.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I pointed out that outside of unsustainable percentages, they are not a good defensive team. To which, you alluded again to the Denver Post piece and said:

“I quoted the part where Roy claims the good teams are using a man to man… but it sounds like Roy and Foote are running some m2m and that giggy is pretty happy about it.”

Well, that DP piece is pretty clear about where it thinks this defensive system is getting the job done:

Colorado is allowing 34 shots per game, 26th in the league and about three more than it is producing. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing when most of the shots are from the perimeter and the goalie and his defenders are working together in unison.

“A lot from the perimeter,” Giguere said of the shots allowed. “We’ve done a great job taking rebounds away, and the D has done a good job boxing out.”

If you are citing this article and specifically Giguere’s remarks, how is it that you aren’t trumpeting shot distance? And if you aren’t, what are you trumpeting?

We’ve seen that they are:

25th in the league in CF% 5×5
    25th in the league in FF% 5×5
    20th in shots for% 5×5

and 16th in the league in forcing shots to the perimeter.

So… what is the case you are making?

Take away sv%(both evens and PP) and this is not a good defensive team.

lance: 3. “d-systems have a trivial impact on SV%.” You are the first to describe SV% in relation to a m2m defense. I didn’t say anything about save percentages. I only mentioned man to man v zone.

If you are trying to suggest a system is successful, you have to rely upon metrics that relate to defensive systems, i.e., shot metrics and/or shot distance. You can’t say a team is successful because of its defensive system when all the available evidence speaks to the contrary.

The reason SV% is brought up is because it is the over-riding reason for the AVS success and it is not related to defensive systems.

The puff pieces on the AVS so far this year continue to ignore this fact. That is, you can’t look to a team with poor shot metrics and an amazing save % and say “this defensive system is really working” and be credible. These media pieces are very poor examples of analysis.

lance: Previously on this blog there had been a consensus that zone defense is the only answer in hockey…

I was not privy to these specific prior conversations and don’t know what they consist of.

lance: Really the point was: it sounds like to me, according to the DP as quoted, a man to man defense is used by successful teams in the NHL, while the swarm is used by the smartest man in the room.

The best article on this is from Kevin McCartney, it was much discussed here in the preseason:

As he makes clear, the swarm is not new or unique to Eakins. It is used by a variety of NHL teams and each team employs it differently. Moreover, these systems tend to be products of your personnel as coaches use systems designed to get the most out of their players.

At any rate, discussions and dissections of the “swarm” have taken place here from day one. And, Eakins basically said he scrapped, or intensively reworked, it 6 games in when he said the team was over-committing along the boards and abandoning positions and that they didn’t know how to play traditional defensive coverage.

You’ve pointed to a bad piece of media analysis. I’m arguing with it and with its fellow travellers. It is important that we don’t let bad analysis bleed so hotly into stupid narratives about what leads to success.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Just trying to come up with a list that matches what MacT said:
    1) Dman
    2) On ELC or RFA

Was that in today’s presser… I missed it.

17. lance says:

Woodguy: Yay! More of the same!

Just read this:

Damn your reasonableness!

So to read that backwards, you suggest that change may include moving one or two elite pieces, just not until there is a fair return. To add an axiom, no one expects a team with 3 A’s on the wing, 1 A at C, and 0 A’s on the back end to have a chance. So if given B, then next question is not if one or two aces get moved, the question is instead when?

And then, do you really trust mr. rookie GM to pull that off returning 100 cents regardless of timeline?

Marc: The Rangers actually only have 9 guys under contract next season.They have some big names to re-sign, but with the cap increase they’ll have close to $40M to do it with.I don’t think they have to dump anyone unless they want to walk away.

They also don’t have much in the way D coming up through the system – McIlrath is actually off to a good start in the AHL this year, but he’s probably years away from being top 4 ready (if he ever is).Their only other half decent D prospect is in college, so is probably years away.

My guess is that the Oilers 1st will go to NJ for Larsson. He’s still on his ELC (which MacT says he wants) and he’s struggling this year. Plus the Devils suck and they’re going to lose their 1st round pick this year.A potential high pick would soften the blow for their fans

Larsen fits the bill. Is Lou selling off?

Also,

NYR has $31.9MM slotted to 9 players.

They have to sign Lundqvist and the word that its $8.0MM

$28.6 left and 13 players left to sign

Its going to be tough to get everyone under the cap.

19. Doomoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I have no horse in this race but I just wanted you know that I love you.

Romulus Apotheosis: Was that in today’s presser… I missed it.

Bob’s show after the presser

lance: So to read that backwards, you suggest that change may include moving one or two elite pieces, just not until there is a fair return.To add an axiom, no one expects a team with 3 A’s on the wing, 1 A at C, and 0 A’s on the back end to have a chance.So if given B, then next question is not if one or two aces get moved, the question is instead when?

As soon as he can.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Bob’s show after the presser

Cool, thanks. In the off-season he said he wanted D that were (IIRC) 27(ish)… ELC or RFA is a touch younger… I wonder if he changed his mind?

23. lance says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

If that is the case, then your previous remarks are unintelligible. You’ve said: “Avalanche’s success comes in part from new defensive system… Who’s the smartest man in the room? [Implying Roy vs. Eakins, no?]“”

That was the title of the article. It was the auto carry from the copy and paste feature out of the DP. I didn’t write Avalanche, success, comes, in, part, from, new, defensive, or system in sequence. But at least I understand your confusion there. I could have edited because I noticed it after I hit post and then didn’t bother.

I didn’t suggest any system was successful let alone measure one v another, instead I merely pointed out that Roy and Foote were using man to man, and made a comment about a blog convo from a few weeks back where the consensus was that m2m doesn’t work in the NHL and NBA outlawed zone for the reason that it was too successful. When in fact it sounds like m2m does work in the NHL and apparently is being used by “successful teams” and STL and DET. Tho I later suggested Giggy apparently liked the system. But no where did I make any statement about the quality, quantity, PDO, corgi or shot metric regarding Colorado. I simply was stating that a man to man is apparently used in the NHL and quoted a piece of the Denver Post to illustrate that reality.

I quoted Patrick Roy and cited the Denver Post. You went to read the DP article and brought up a bunch of stuff I didn’t say, then added some subjective judgement about the quality of reporting when I only borrowed the quote from Roy. (minus the confusion on the title copy paste thing)

I was only trying to suggest that a man to man defense is apparently being used in the NHL, Spoiler has since elucidated the trap as being a derivation thereof, and if Lowetide had a search mechanism that allowed me to find the convo, I would have a better idea of who was saying what. But I didn’t say anything about quality, success, or shot metrics.

As it stands, everyone here except spOILer is likely guilty of suggesting man to man doesn’t work in the NHL, and according to the quote from Roy, everyone except spOILer is clearly wrong. Until proven otherwise. I believe that is generally how your profession works now, right?
    :p

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

lance,

Once more, I haven’t been arguing with you, but with the particular cases of bad media analysis and only with you insofar as you appear to follow their logic.

As I’ve been at pains to make clear: my beef isn’t with one system or another, with your interest in different systems, or some previous conversation… my beef is with bad media analysis crediting certain things with success contrary to available evidence. You are reading my challenge to this narrative as a challenge to you, when it is only so to the minimal extent that you appear to follow their logic.

As far as your interest in carrying on a previous argument on systems I can’t help you. I don’t recall reading any previous discussion about m2m vs. swarm or some consensus saying m2m doesn’t work or whatever it is you are invested it (which, of course, doesn’t mean I didn’t read it and offer opinion… I just barely remember anything!)

I would suggest you read McCartney’s piece where he analyses (albeit briefly) m2m coverage as used by the Rangers:

25. theres oil in virginia says:

lance: if Lowetide had a search mechanism that allowed me to find the convo

Damn you Lowetide for not having a mechanism to do what Google is readily available to do!!!

It was at least Colonel Obvious and Bag of Pucks, but perhaps others joined in. And since LT doesn’t have a mechanism for finding words on a webpage, you’ll have to use “find” and try “man to man”.

(Huge dose of tongue in cheek – please don’t get upset. All in jest. ) ;)

26. lance says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Well that is all fine then. I have no recollection of who said what. My memory is excellent, just stunningly short. and my ability to search our the discussion non-existant.

Now basing my final opinion regarding this instant matter on what the legal profession currently calls “common law” (which was originally described as the consensus of the people ofthe region at the time (read jury of peers) but now called the collective decisions of judges who are recognized by a defacto state) then by that standard as applied through internet rule of law, your use of facts and reason have no real significance to said matter and thus I still think you’re probably guilty.

(How do I make the little smiley face thing? If I was less of a luddite I would likely insert one here.)

27. DeadmanWaking says:

Calling MacT a rookie GM makes my eyes roll. He’s had one foot in the GM’s office for over a decade now.

I would say his rookie mishaps are pretty much confined to misreading the liquidity of the trade market based on how other GMs present themselves. It takes a while to decode the smoke signals about when another GM is kicking the tires and really prepared to act. Furthermore, he’s not even getting the normal signals, as all the other GMs are playing cagey to see whether he succumbs to a rookie mistake. It’s not like he doesn’t have the book on the other GMs in the league to begin with. He just hasn’t tuned it in close conversation over actual horses.

I’ve never said MacT doesn’t have an Achilles heal. All I’ve said is that he’s sharp and more than well enough prepared to go to war. We’ll find out. Smart people also fail. I doubt there’s any GM out there who thinks that fixing this situation is a slam dunk even for the most experienced GM out there.

Yes Mr Rookie GM, damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead, staunch the bleeding. As for next year’s first round pick, don’t the let door hit you on the way out–as long as we get value in return.

I am so done with high picks.

DeadmanWaking:
    Calling MacT a rookie GM makes my eyes roll.He’s had one foot in the GM’s office for over a decade now.

I would say his rookie mishaps are pretty much confined to misreading the liquidity of the trade market based on how other GMs present themselves.It takes a while to decode the smoke signals about when another GM is kicking the tires and really prepared to act.Furthermore, he’s not even getting the normal signals, as all the other GMs are playing cagey to see whether he succumbs to a rookie mistake. It’s not like he doesn’t have the book on the other GMs in the league to begin with.He just hasn’t tuned it in close conversation over actual horses.

I’ve never said MacT doesn’t have an Achilles heal.All I’ve said is that he’s sharp and more than well enough prepared to go to war.We’ll find out.Smart people also fail.I doubt there’s any GM out there who thinks that fixing this situation is a slam dunk even for the most experienced GM out there.

Yes Mr Rookie GM, damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead, staunch the bleeding.As for next year’s first round pick, don’t the let door hit you on the way out–as long as we get value in return.

I am so done with high picks.

Deadman Waking with the big fly. Tremendous take. Not a word out of place. I so wish I’d written it (and will steal it as my own in 5-4-3…) :-)

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

lance: your use of facts and reason have no real significance to said matter and thus I still think you’re probably guilty.

Of saying m2m doesn’t work or something… that certainly is odd.

lance:

put a colon next to an end parenthesis mark, or a semi-colon, or, use a start parenthesis mark ;) :) :(

30. prairieschooner says:

Eakins found 3 sealed envelopes marked 1,2 and 3 when he took over from RK
    Each one advised him to open when the team was in crisis.
    Pretty soon he found the Oilers struggling with Traditional Defence he open up the first envelope from Ralph and the message simply said “Blame Me!”
    Later with the team still flailing Eakins opens the second envelope and the message is
    “Blame the media”
    A few weeks later with no improvement Eakins opens the 3rd envelope and the message reads
    “Prepare the envelopes”

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

DeadmanWaking:
    I am so done with high picks.

Damn your eyes!

Draisaitl!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

prairieschooner:
    Eakins found 3 sealed envelopes marked 1,2 and 3 when he took over from RK
    Each one advised him to open when the team was in crisis.
    “Blame the media”
    “Prepare the envelopes”

I like this. I might steal it.

Also, Prepare the Envelops would make a great non sequitur blog title.

DeadmanWaking:

So MacT isn`t a rookie, except when his inexperience leads him to misjudge things.

Like a rookie.

34. Rebilled says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

It’s already been stolen, from some film, but with Khrushchev and Stalin I think.

35. tsunami says:

DeadmanWaking:

I am so done with high picks.

I don’t really disagree with this, but fact is he made already that huge rookie mistake by trading Smid… There is just no way to justify it imo… Horrible return, just horrible

« Older Comments