#4 PROSPECT: D MARTIN MARINCIN

Martin Marincin had a very good pro debut last season, but it was difficult to evaluate for a couple of reasons: first, he was paired with Justin Schultz for much of the first half of the year, and second he received plenty of PP time so the offense held sway in evaluation. This season, he is without Schultz and is not getting the PP push. How is he doing?

PREVIOUSLY NUMBER FOUR ON THE WINTER LIST

• December 2004: D Jeff Woywitka
  • December 2005: L Jean-Francois Jacuqes
  • December 2006: C Andrew Cogliano
  • December 2007: D Taylor Chorney
  • December 2008: C Rob Schremp
  • December 2009: C Chris VandeVelde
  • December 2010: D Martin Marincin
  • December 2011: L Teemu Hartikainen
  • December 2012: D Martin Marincin

It’s interesting to look back and see just how quickly these lists begin to wander into the area prospects become suspects over time. Woywitka, JFJ, Chorney, Schremp and VandeVelde are all misses and Hartikainen is in the KHL. Cogliano stands tall in this group and Marincin has been #4 on the prospect list for three of the last four seasons. He is becoming the proverbial perennial prospect.

WHAT THEY SAID ON DRAFT DAY

• marincinRedline Report: Tall Lanky D with a huge frame to fill out. Good skating ability for his size; Pivots well and shows good agility, though he lacks balance and acceleration. Skates with head up and looking for plays – smooth puck handler with good passing touch. Reads play quickly and makes good decisions. Doesn’t force things that aren’t there. However, once he makes his outlet pass, his arms sag to his side and he’s not interested in trying anything else offensively. Lacks an aggressive mindset and rarely ventures off the blue line at offensive end. Inconsistent defensively – positioning in own zone needs improvement. Tough to beat 1-on-1 off the rush because of his mobility and long reach, but can be beaten in tight by quick, shifty forwards. Counts mostly on the pokecheck and skating ability rather than using his big body, but is improving in the physical aspect and does a good job pinning men against the wall.
  • Projection: Big, shutdown #4-5 dman
  • Style compares to: Lavislav Smid (with a better shot)
  • Stu MacGregor, draft day: “We got the pick in a trade for Riley Nash and with that pick we were really hoping to get a defenceman. Our European scout Frank Musil was pushing for him. We’d seen him as a 17-year-old at the World Junior in Saskatoon. He was tall and slender and could skate well and had real good sense with the puck. A lot of the decision involved the knowledge he planned to come to North America to play junior as an 18-year-old.”

I always like to return to the draft day scouting report because it keeps us based in reality. A season like Marincin’s in Oklahoma City last year can create an illusion and we’re going to be disappointed if it’s a one-off. Often, most of the points that defensemen add to their boxcars come from the powerplay, so let’s have a look at last season’s even strength numbers and compare them to current season for Marincin.

POINTS BY DISCIPLINE, MARTIN MARINCIN

PLAYER EV PP PK TOTAL
MARINCIN 2012-13 69, 5-18-23 .333 69, 2-5-7 .101 69, 0-0-0 69, 7-23-30
MARINCIN 2013-14 14, 0-2-2 .143 14, 0-1-1 .071 13, 0-0-0 14, 0-3-3

It looks like the bump offensively had to do with quality of linemates (Schultz and company) at even strength and on the powerplay, so that’s something to keep in mind for this season. He’s on pace for about the same number of points with the man advantage (5) but far less at evens (10). I think it’s best we assume that Marincin’s offense will be slightly stronger than Smid’s (or Klefbom’s) but it’s unlikely we’re looking at a 40-point NHL defenseman in Marincin. What kind of point range should we expect? Last season’s Desjardins’ NHLE would be 16 points, that seems reasonable. In his 7 seasons in Edmonton, Smid did not score 16 points.

PREVIOUS TOP 20 RANKING

• Summer 2010: 9
  • Winter 2010: 4
  • Summer 2011: 7
  • Winter 2011: 5
  • Summer 2012: 4
  • Winter 2012: 4
  • Summer 2013: 3
  • Winter 2013: 4

Marincin has been inside the top five for some time now, for me that suggests some consistency and it does appear he’s on track as a prospect. He’ll be entering the NHL as a 5-6D and that may in fact be his ceiling. Third pairing at evens, top 4 on the penalty kill and around 18-20 minutes a night. The one advantage Marincin can offer is passing ability and the skills to move the puck up ice on his own. The Oilers don’t have many of those skills in a 6.05 frame.

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING THIS SEASON

Stars vs. OKC Barons, Cox Convention Center, Oklahoma City, OK. 10-15-13

•  Corey Pronman: The Good: Marincin is a toolsy, big defenseman who can skate, puck handle, and move the puck at notably above-average levels, particularly for a player his size. He moves in every direction well, can flash significant offensive playmaking skills, and looks very good on the man advantage. When he is on, he has the instincts and puck skills to consistently create chances while keeping play flowing in the right direction. The Bad: Marincin struggled with play in his own end, as well as decision making, although he improved as the season went along. He looked inconsistent with decisions early in his WHL days, and some of the same problems surfaced as Marincin tried to adjust to the pace of the pro game. Projection: He could be a good second pairing defenseman.
  • Jonathan Willis: Marincin’s year-to-date has been a little on the disappointing side. He’s big and he moves the puck well and the talent is obvious, but there’s a little too much chaos to his game and he doesn’t generate enough offence to justify it. At this point he’s probably pretty comparable to Anton Belov except at the AHL level.

marincinferguson

2013-14

A lot of people have been critical of the Oilers drafting record under Stu MacGregor and their style of development forever, but Marincin is an example of a player who appears to  have flourished at each level. His development typically involves struggles early and then a period of transition followed by strong play. Still, the lack of verbal from the higher management types from the Oilers is telling. Craig MacTavish has gushed over both Darnell Nurse and Oscar Klefbom, but the quotes on Marincin remain on the cutting room floor. He is, at a guess, not a firm member of the long term plan. If Marincin is sent away this season, it should not come as a surprise.

ETA MARINCIN

In ranking Martin Marincin fourth overall, it is important to stress the gap between the top 2 defenders and Marincin. There is no sure thing when it comes to defensemen, but Nurse and Klefbom are as close as the Oilers have had in years. Marincin is a different level of prospect, a player whose skills have made themselves known but we still (in his second pro season) don’t have surrounded at this time. His size, speed, passing ability and health make him an attractive prospect, and his offensive ability should make him a bona fide top 4D player if he can master the defensive aspects of the game.

The watch word for many of these defensive prospects we’ll be discussing over the coming weeks will be consistency, and his progress in this area will dictate how quickly he’s elevated to the NHL. Bottom line: A 6.05 defenseman with footspeed, defensive consistency and the ability to pass or carry intelligently has exceptional value, especially in the modern era. Martin Marincin remains an extremely intriguing prospect.

82 Responses to "#4 PROSPECT: D MARTIN MARINCIN"

1. Logan91 says:

I actually like Marincin, I hope he doesn’t get traded away.

2. misfit says:

I’d prefer we keep him too, but if we can make the Oilers a better team at his expense, I wouldn’t have a hard time trading him. We can’t have all of these guys in the NHL over the next 3-4 years and expect any success even if they’re NHL ready. So the best use of the guys at this rung of the ladder might best serve the Oilers NHL squad by bringing back other players in a trade.

3. fifthcartel says:

I feel he’s the most likely to get traded out of all the D prospects.

And with Bryz recalled, I’m surprised LaBarbera wasn’t waived this morning.

4. VanOil says:

fifthcartel:
    I feel he’s the most likely to get traded out of all the D prospects.

And with Bryz recalled, I’m surprised LaBarbera wasn’t waived this morning.

I would like to suggest that Ricky Olczyk has been earning his keep so far this season as he has been a busy as a beaver but I think suggesting he should be drug tested might be more fitting.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

It’s all there to be a good, just below impact player NHL D for a long time. He just needs miles on him before he’s ready. They all do.

The Belov comparison seems apt. I’d take another one of those in 2 years.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

misfit:
    I’d prefer we keep him too, but if we can make the Oilers a better team at his expense, I wouldn’t have a hard time trading him.We can’t have all of these guys in the NHL over the next 3-4 years and expect any success even if they’re NHL ready.So the best use of the guys at this rung of the ladder might best serve the Oilers NHL squad by bringing back other players in a trade.

Look how many D we’ve gone through already and our D haven’t really been hit with injury yet.

Someone did a look at 7-8 defensemen once (I can’t remember who or where) and found that they played more on average than many starting top 12 forwards.

I agree, a good return in the form of NHL players is worth prospects (depending of course), but let’s not count our chickens yet. You need a lot of D to play in the NHL.

7. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    The Belov comparison seems apt. I’d take another one of those in 2 years.

Trying to fit this into a time line;

Fedun this year as a #6/7
    Kelfbom next year as a #6
    Nurse the year after as a #4
    Marincin the year after that as a #6

Kind of adds a year to your time line and is at odds with the likely rush job on Nurse. Limiting rookies on the rear and allowing them to master the level they are at first seems to be a sound plan. So it won’t happen.

8. Lois Lowe says:

fifthcartel:
    I feel he’s the most likely to get traded out of all the D prospects.

And with Bryz recalled, I’m surprised LaBarbera wasn’t waived this morning.

9. VanOil says:

I wonder if Marincin staying or going with the organization is in any way linked to Simpson staying or going? I can’t figure Collegiate hockey stats to figure out if having a good season or not.

10. PunjabiOil says:

Back from Calgary. 5 hour drive in the brutal road conditions. Oilers win in style made the trip memorable.

Marincin – he’s a prospect that likely carries some value in a package deal. An asset you must be willing to part with if you want to upgrade the defence for today. Same applicable for Klefbom.

fifthcartel:
    I feel he’s the most likely to get traded out of all the D prospects.

And with Bryz recalled, I’m surprised LaBarbera wasn’t waived this morning.

Bryz was on the roster as soon as he signed.

OKC was classified as a “conditioning stint”

No one needs to go down.

I’m guessing we’ll hear about a trade for Labarbera soon or he gets waived.

If waived I think someone will pick him up.

Lots of goalies on IR right now.

Here’s the active roster.

** = IR (note: looks like they finally put J.Shultz on IR retroactively)

WILL ACTON

NICK SCHULTZ

RICHARD BACHMAN   **
    ILYA BRYZGALOV
    DEVAN DUBNYK
    JASON LABARBERA

13. David says:

If we trade this guy we will regret it. I think he’ll be a very good second pairing defenseman. Keeper for sure.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lois Lowe: My feeling is Dillon Simpson is the most likely and valuable. I think he’s in the Jeff Petry mould and hasn’t signed with the Oilers yet.

Why trade for him? Just wait until he’s a free agent and sign him.

I think if a team trades for him to secure contract negotiating rights, the return for the Oil won’t be much.

15. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

The Belov comparison seems apt. I’d take another one of those in 2 years.

16. Adam Dyck says:

Further from this morning’s thread…

What is your definition of impact player? I know you’ve said before, but Gilbert was our #1 D with a bullet for a while, and arguably our best player for a while too. He struggled last year in Minny (injuries were rumoured) but looks to be cleaning up down in Florida now. I really think he’s a tremendously underrated player, even among Oilers fans who appreciated him.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Brackenburied: I’m kind of worried about the Oilers ability to resign Belov. He’s a UFA on not a very good team. I realize there may be some loyalty to MacT based on the recruiting but Belov has definitely played up his value. Can we afford him? Does he want to play on team that will struggle to compete for the playoffs next year let alone make them? I sure like him and hope a deal can get done or he’s gone at the trade deadline.

I’m not nearly as worried about this as others are. I think he’d happily re-sign with the Oil if he signed here in the first place. I don’t know about $$ or term though.

Couple of points:

1. don’t underestimate the stink of playing on a bad team. that would hurt him on the open market
    2. lots of good players remained on the UFA list for a long time last year, GMs are weird.
    3. I think more likely he returns to the KHL than he signs with a different NHL team.

If you are in a US college, you cannot sign a contract. No US college player is signed. Not a single one.

Simpson got to college early. He can get his degree, and be as young as most US college D leaving early.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10: If you are in a US college, you cannot sign a contract.No US college player is signed. Not a single one.

Simpson got to college early.He can get his degree, and be as young as most US college D leaving early.

This is all true, but besides the point.

Many College players leave early to sign (see Kharia as a recent Oiler example). So, it is absolutely the case that he hasn’t signed yet and absolutely the case that he could if he wanted to.

What we don’t know is whether the Oil ever encouraged him to leave college and sign, or were happy with him developing there (probably the latter).

He is very young though and what he does when he graduates early (this Jan. I believe), will be really interesting to watch.

Adam Dyck:
    Further from this morning’s thread…

My definition of impact player is very tough: Since 2000, Edmonton has employed Doug Weight and Chris Pronger for one year, and Smyth/Hemsky reached that level for a time. Taylor Hall is the only one of the current group who has attained that status and he arrived in 12-13.

21. sliderule says:

Marincin got power play time after Schultz left Ok city.Any idea why he is not getting it now.

Nurse got another goal and is second in D scoring in OHL.

sliderule:

Nurse got another goal and is second in D scoring in OHL.

I think Brad Hunt and Phil Larsen were getting the lion’s share early, don’t know about currently. Marincin is scoring about the same on PP as he did a year ago, so he must be getting some opportunities.

23. Lois Lowe says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Exactly.

If I am Simpson’s camp, I look a the sheer number of D prospects in Edmonton and I question whether it makes sense for me to sign with them. I also think that the Oilers would have some indication that this is likely to happen given the connection they have to the player’s family. He’s a good throw-in prospect to a larger deal and has some nice things to recommend him.

Lois Lowe:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Exactly.

25. VanOil says:

Lowetide: From what I can tell, and I’m no expert, he’s improved SO much Simpson may end up passing some of these other guys. And I do believe the herd will be culled soon.

The Oilers average education level is certainly higher than average not that I no what that average is.

A break out star from the back of the pack would be SO good.

26. fifthcartel says:

Hmm, if he’s as advertised I hope they make room for him, and with the Edmonton connection it would might make sense to send some of the others out if he’s that good.

Hoping he signs, a pick other than 1st or 2nd contributing would be huge.

And about LaBarbera not being waived, I thought about it and I’m thinking MacT might not both LaBarber + Bachman taking prospect playing time if one of Bunz/Brossoit are in OKC.

27. Kitchener says:

I’m dizzy from the ice tilting back and forth. This is my #1 observation from the game: with Nurse on the bench, SSM played most of the game in their own end and struggled to clear the zone. With Nurse on the ice, the puck magically left the zone, chaos dissipated, and SSM played a balanced game. Really. Kitchener won 6-3 and outshot SSM 55-28. Nurse was on-ice for one goal against (an empty netter) and in the penalty box for another. He was on-ice for two SSM goals.

General Impressions:
    - Taller than most guys. Captain of SSM.
    - Keeps his feet far apart, making him tough to push around.
    - Protects the puck well with his body & long reach; I don’t think he lost the puck once by a steal.
    - Hits the opponent hard and often. They aren’t glamorous acrobatic hits; they are hard body checks that probably hurt and definitely take players off the puck. He finishes checks consistently and they’re all heavy.
    - Sometimes looks slow on the ice. Then I realized that he’s gliding a lot of the time, staying in position while conserving energy for the next big push.
    - When he takes off, he’s one of the fastest skaters on the ice. Big strides. He skated the puck from behind his net several times and no-one could catch him. He carried into the offensive zone several times. Defenders gave him lots of room too.
    - Defending with one hand on his stick, he has a long reach and broke up many plays by pushing the puck off an opponent’s stick.
    - Blocked 2-3 shots by lying right down on the ice, taking away the lower part of the net.
    - Has an active stick to prod/slash/cross-check opponents. He’s whacking them hard too.
    - Often stood while on the bench.
    - Bobbled a cross-ice pass he could see the whole way that still got caught in his skates. His stick handling or hand/eye doesn’t appear to be bad, but he’s no Omark/Eberle/Datsyuk.
    - SSM’s #1D: 1PK, 1PP, 1EV. Mostly played left D.

A few plays:

- 1st Period: SSM is shorthanded with a defensive zone face-off. Before the draw, he whacked the opposing LW on the arms with his stick. Next, he crunched Ranger forward Justin Bailey, taking him off the puck in the slot. SSM then cleared the zone and Nurse jumped into the rush as the trailer. He took a pass and scored with a hard low shot from the top of the circle.

- 2nd Period: SSM shorthanded again. Nurse steals in D zone & steams up the middle of the ice. He goes 1-on-2 at the Ranger blue line and goes straight ahead through the Ranger defenders. By the time he’d split the D, he was too deep to score, so he turned around and flattened the player still pursuing him. He still had the puck, so went to the end boards and eventually passed back to a teammate once it was 1-on-3. Several times throughout the game I heard fans bitching about what the Rangers were “letting” Nurse do.

- Later in the 2nd: SSM shorthanded again. Nurse standing in front of SSM’s net, clearing the front of the net with crosschecks every few seconds for an extended period. He eventually gets called for a high stick (I couldn’t see that part of the play) and the Rangers scored on the 5-on-3. Regardless, the front of the SSM crease is a shitty place for an opposing forward to stand when Nurse is on the ice.

- 3rd Period: Nurse flattens a Ranger forward in front of the net, a scrum ensues, and Nurse pulls off the guy’s helmet while holding him in a headlock. Nurse then turns and glides off as if nothing has happened and NO ONE comes to challenge him. The Rangers aren’t a shy team and give pushback on most lines, but no-one came after Nurse at any point in the game even though he was the biggest SOB on the ice most of the time.

Conclusions:
    - Is Nurse ready for the NHL? Probably not. Is he dominant at the OHL level? Yes. Yes.

- Is he a thug or a coke machine? No. He is big and nasty, but he beat guys with his legs or his shot or a smart pass more often this afternoon than he beat guys with physicality. He is a multi-faceted opponent with variety in what he does.

- Major deficiencies in his game? He is not yet 25.

If (IF) he’s able to translate his game to the NHL level, he is EXACTLY what the Oilers need. For now, he’s a kid with great potential and a list of OHL teams who wish he wasn’t playing.

28. spoiler says:

LT said:

Those are exactly the words I want to hear about a defenseman being developed on the Detroit schedule. No need to rush. Let him master his own end and each level before moving up. The raw skills are there, let the brain and experience catch up.

29. spoiler says:

Kitchener: Just saw Darnell Nurse & the Greyhounds (SSM) play the Kitchener Rangers from the first row. For Oil fans out west, here’s what you’re missing…
    General Impressions:
    - Taller than most guys. Captain of SSM.
    - Keeps his feet far apart, making him tough to push around.
    - Often stood while on the bench.
    - SSM’s #1D: 1PK, 1PP, 1EV. Mostly played left D.
    A few plays:
    Conclusions:
    - Major deficiencies in his game? He is not yet 25.

Nice report, thank you.

Thanks, Kitchener! Outstanding!

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Kitchener,

Great report!

Have you had a chance to watch Ekblad? I’m curious to hear how Nurse lines up with other OHL prospects past and present.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oh, look! Who’s the “Draft Dandy of the Week”?

It’s our old pal, the Conquistador!

this is hilarious:

“Draisaitl had 97 goals and 192 points in 29 games for Mannheimer at the under-16 level in 2010-11″

Let’s hope by “dandy” they mean more “fop” than “flop” :)

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Oh, look! Who’s the “Draft Dandy of the Week”?

It’s our old pal, the Conquistador!

Let’s hope by “dandy” they mean more “fop” than “flop” :)

They call him ‘the Russian Schremp’ apparently.

34. Marc says:

LT

Is Arcobello considered a prospect for the purpose of this series?

Marc:
    LT

Is Arcobello considered a prospect for the purpose of this series?

36. Halfwise says:

Kitchener,

Poise AND truculence!

Great report, thanks.

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: They call him ‘the Russian Schremp’ apparently.

Wash you fingertips!!!

38. Marc says:

Interesting.

I have to say that he’d be number three on my list. A guy who has demonstrated that he can both score and play an effective two way game at the NHL level seems to me to be a better prospect than guys who may never even get to that level, let alone score or play an effective two way game.

But hey, it’s your list. :)

39. Brackenburied says:

I haven’t seen the numbers yet but I bet the ‘Riders Corsi is pretty good.

40. Rondo says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

That same question was asked in the comments of this post

RE: Ekblad vs. Nurse

Like Anthony, I too believe Nurse has a higher upside. Nurse is the better forward skater and puck rusher and is a more athletic defender. He’s also the more naturally physical player. Ekblad is tough to play against, but Nurse plays with a more consistent edge and seems to enjoy that part of the game more.

Ekblad is actually the better power play quarterback right now though IMO. Does a better job of making decisions with the puck on the point and gets his shot through. Defensively they’re pretty identical except for the fact that Nurse is the more consistently physical player.

I think it was Craig Button who recently compared Ekblad to Chris Phillips and I like that one. He’s going to play a long time in the league and he’s going to eat a ton of minutes, but he’s probably never going to be someone you consider among the best defenseman in the league. While Nurse has a higher “bust” potential, he also has the potential to be considered in that “top defenseman” category due to his growing ability to play both ends.

Marc:

Interesting.

But hey, it’s your list. :)

Yeah, I just don’t see him having a long career as a top 6F and at his age he is what he is. Hope he proves me wrong, though! :-)

Couple of tweets from Tyler:

mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey 45m
    Oilers Corsi/Fenwick Close through first seven games: 48.4%/49.8%. Since then: 41.1%/41.6%

mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey 44m
    That’s the really scary thing for me. Somewhere along the line, Eakins turned a team that was in the fight to one that isn’t.

I wonder what the change in strategy was?

Some are saying the fore check isn’t as aggressive as it was.

Someone suggested that Eakins mistook bad goaltending for bad defence and now its hurting the team.

Eakins did say they changed the swarm style at about game 7, where the corgis (woof) fall off the end of the earth.

Uhoh.

43. Kitchener says:

Thanks all.

I haven’t seen Ekblad play, but 2014 eligible D Anthony DeAngelo (http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/show/type/top_scorers/ls_season/49/subtype/1) as another top OHL D and, say Zadorov and Max Iafrate (Rangers) make for an interesting study in contrasts. I haven’t seen enough OHL games to be an expert, but here’s my thought on Nurse vs ____.

Big defensive guys like Zadorov look good at OHL level but can’t translate offense or a skating advantage into the NHL, so they have a limited NHL role. LIttle skill guys like DeAngelo (and Jordan Subban, who should have been the OIler pick at #113) can’t bring size into the NHL since they just don’t have it and are also limited in the NHL. Well rounded guys like Kitchener’s Max Iafrate can be great at the OHL level, but not good enough at anything to crack the NHL other than a 6/7/8 guy. Nurse, on the other hand, appears to be excellent at most parts of the game with potential as a “true #1″.

A guy like DeAngelo is more fun to watch than Nurse, but Nurse is way more valuable. DeAngelo is electric with the puck and all over the ice, but he’ll never be compared to Shea Weber or The Rake. DeAngelo is like a JSchultz. Nurse is not at all like JSchultz.

That said, what surprised me most about today’s game was the way Nurse rushed the puck up the ice. He must have carried the puck up from behind his net into the opposing zone 10 times with a few of them drives right to the net. He’s fast enough and skilled enough that opponents’ need to respect the rush, which opens up lanes and other options (… which he used; he isn’t selfish with the puck.) When rushing, the ice opens up in front of him. When he gets into traffic, he shields the puck with his body and forces the defender to go through him to get the puck, which they probably can’t do.

It’s balderdash to compare Nurse with old NHLers, but the style of his rush reminded me of this play: http://youtu.be/w9rp-ewJ8mI Big legs, long stick, surprisingly fast to the red line, cruise & protect the puck.

Kitchener,

Great stuff.

Appreciate the work sir.

45. Kitchener says:

Rondo,

Yes. Nurse wasn’t a liability on the PP, but he wasn’t an outstanding puck distributor either. By comparison, Yakupov ripped up the OHL with quick hands and puck distribution on the PP whereas Nurse is (just) a bomb from the point.

46. spoiler says:

Woodguy: Couple of tweets from Tyler:
    mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey 45m
    mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey 44m
    I wonder what the change in strategy was?
    Some are saying the fore check isn’t as aggressive as it was.
    Uhoh.

I’d say what changed was belief in themselves and the playoffs. They’ve played like zombies for the past seven game–and not the tough zombies that can run and shit, but the stumbling shufflers that you can kill with a tire iron. Lollygagging.

Woodguy:
    Couple of tweets from Tyler:

mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey 45m

mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey 44m

I wonder what the change in strategy was?

Some are saying the fore check isn’t as aggressive as it was.

Uhoh.

Just tell mc79 to break it down between teams the Oilers played last year, the Western Conference plus Detroit less Winnipeg and Columbus, and teams the Oilers didn’t play last year, the Eastern Conference less Detroit.

That pretty much explains everything.

The Eastern Conference sucks. The Western Conference and Detroit don’t.

6 of the 7 games against teams they played last year have Corsi close or Fenwick close under 40%.

Eakins has till January to fix things. January is pretty much all Western Conference games.

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rondo:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

That same question was asked in the comments of this post

RE: Ekblad vs. Nurse

Thanks, that’s great.

Do you think the comparison suffers from the year difference? I wonder if it is difficult to separate Nurse’s present play from that of his draft year?

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I don’t know if anyone saw this. It’s an interesting list because of how loose the structure is and how many players it encapsulates so early:

but, there really isn’t that much info here beyond vitals and a rough round projection.

50. TheOtherJohn says:

Chase with an assist today, he’s 21, 14-11 25.

52. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Quick scan on ‘draft for need’ – A-rated, position C, and minimum 195 lbs.

Two names: Draisaitl and Fleury.

Both names ring a bell, not sure why … I think that German kid’s dad played for the Flames, and someone on this blog has really been pushing Fleury. Right?

53. G Money says:

spoiler: I’d say what changed was belief in themselves and the playoffs.They’ve played like zombies for the past seven game–and not the tough zombies that can run and shit, but the stumbling shufflers that you can kill with a tire iron.Lollygagging.

I was at the game, and then (because it was a win) I watched it on PVR afterwards! If they’d lost, I probably would have had to burn the PVR and switch to Telus TV.

In any case, the one thing that sticks out consistently – both from this game and the games prior to that – is the complete lack of intensity when the game is early.

It’s only once it is apparent that the game might actually be lost that the team starts to fight for the puck, fight for territory, fight to get the puck to the other net, fight to keep the puck out of our net. Some have called this score effects, but that’s not entirely true. The pushback doesn’t seem to happen because of the score, it seems to happen because the game gets late and the team finally realizes they *may* just lose.

Last night the common narrative was that the team played two lousy periods and pushed in the third, but in fact the pushback started halfway through the second. It went back in the tank after the second Flames goal – probably as in “here we go again”.

So:

- How – how on Earth – can these guys not have figured out that the way you win games is to play with intensity from the puck drop?
    - That there is no period of coasting that won’t burn you?
    - How many games do they have to lose, how many early goals do they have to give up before they figure this out?

54. wheatnoil says:

Kitchener,

Just to add to the chorus, thank you for your excellent post!

55. David says:

G Money: Quick scan on ‘draft for need’ – A-rated, position C, and minimum 195 lbs.

Two names: Draisaitl and Fleury.

Both names ring a bell, not sure why … I think that German kid’s dad played for the Flames, and someone on this blog has really been pushing Fleury.Right?

Draisaitl is a LW and Fleury is a D.

56. wheatnoil says:

Chase with an assist today, he’s 21, 14-11 25.

Maybe a closer Oiler comparable would be 7th round pick, Matthew Lombardi. Around the same size as Chase and scored just a little under a point a game in his draft + 1 (0.93 ppg), though he also had a much lower point total in his draft year (0.68 vs 0.84 for Chase). Lombardi has over 500 NHL games on his resume.

Of course, Andy Moog takes the cake as the Oilers best ever 7th round pick, but that was a different time.

It’s incredibly early days, but Chase looked good in the prospect camp and has followed it up with a solid run out of the gate.

Does anyone know why he fell so far on draft day? I had heard of him potentially being a pick in the 3rd round… why did no one go for him?

(Or is this a discussion better served for a little later on, when Chase gets his top 20 prospect post?)

wheatnoil: Last Oiler to be selected in the 7th round and score over a point a game in his draft + 1 season was Kyle Brodziak, though he was selected as an overager.

I honestly don’t know why he fell. I’m no draft expert, but do read a lot and do my rankings based on those things read and nhle’s. I had him 2nd round.

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Two names: Draisaitl and Fleury.

Two persistent problems with draft lists is position and size.

Scoring usually translates fairly well from year to year, league to league (if you’ve got it, you usually have it at 17 and if you don’t you rarely find it afterwards).

AND, it can be really hard at 17 to tell how full a kid is going to fill out. Gernat, for example, may never be much thicker than a string bean.

ALSO, the numbers on weight are all over the place as these kids get bigger and some people update and others don’t.

Some of those players are going to fill in nicely. For example, I imagine Sam Bennett (listed at 6’1″ 178 has a lot of room for lbs).

David: Draisaitl is a LW and Fleury is a D.

Fleury is indeed a D. I think GM was sight reading there.

Draisaitl is a Center:

“I think I’m a playmaking center with good vision,” Draisaitl told NHL.com. “I like to make good passes but can finish as well.”

Whether he always has, does and will play at Center is another matter. But, as a matter of general record, he’s a center.

wow. Draisaitl is a goalie. I did not know that.

60. David says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

My bad. Mackenzie’s and Button’s lists had him as a LW. I thought WHL.ca did too but guess not. Maybe he switched recently? He’s the player I want the most for us to draft. Real player there.

61. Suntory Hanzo says:

Kitchener,

Fantastic report! Thanks!

62. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wow. Draisaitl is a goalie. I did not know that.

Don’t you start. You’ve caused enough trouble already.

David:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

It can be super hard to sort out who is/isn’t a center in junior and what position they project to play. A good tell would seem to be that Draisaitl at least considers himself a center.

Mac’s lists can have bad/outdated intel on vitals sometimes. He has Draisaitl listed at 178, but CSS at 208… only a mere 30 pounds difference!!! or, two good sized turkeys.

both at 6’2″ though.

There are some nice looking other centers though (beyond the obvious Reinhart). The Russian (add to the collection) Barbashev (another guy listed as both center and LW) is interesting. 6’1″ 185. In the Q. His boxcars last year:

68 18 44 62

Button’s analysis:

Ivan is a determined and spirited player. Excellent leader who does so by example and has a focus on the team’s best interests in all regards. Excellent hockey IQ in all regards and there is not a situation in the game that he can’t make a difference in. Has the ability to ‘step up’ his game when necessary. Very good skills and can score as well as set up a play and is always in the ‘guts of the action.’ Off-the-charts character.

Off the charts character. You don’t hear that about Russians everyday. Ivan the Terrible seems like it would be fun to yell at the TV
    ;)

63. David says:

I’d love more Russians. The more the merrier! What’s your take on Richie? Top six “Lucic”? Or standard third line grinder?

64. Hammers says:

Crazy to let Marincin get away . For me he is moving in the right direction . As for points last year it wasn’t just J. Schultz as there where 4 good forward playing half a season and other players on more than OKl so last years numbers are skewered for more than Marincin. Player with size , a shot , works both PP & PK and makes good first passes so for me he is a keeper .

65. G Money says:

David: Draisaitl is a LW and Fleury is a D.

Oops, yes, I misaligned my table read and superimposed (the tiny) Chase De Leo. And as noted elsewhere, Draisaitl is listed as a C, at least in this table.

wow. Draisaitl is a goalie. I did not know that.

Maybe we can draft him as a coach?

Romulus Apotheosis: BUT, the sheer number of players who get drafted at center to never play there is a good indicator that drafting a center can be a bit of a misnomer.

And as for size – you never know who’s going to get big and who isn’t, but if they’re already a big in Junior (e.g. young Leon already listed at 6’2″ and 208 lbs) chances are they aren’t getting smaller!

66. Romulus Apotheosis says:

David:

Interesting player for sure. He’s kind of got a “Dauber” from Coach look (and I don’t mean he actually looks like him) that puts me off.

he’s one that could maybe lose some weight. 235 is thick for his age. How is his skating?

67. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: Tru dat. The idea here is just a matter of a sheer guess at playing percentages – the players in junior who played C and switched to wing I’m guessing are more common than those who play wing in junior and C in the big leagues. So if you need a centre, best bet is to draft one. Yes no maybe so?

Agreed on all points, esp. Draft those listed at Center when possible.

68. wheatnoil says:

The only issue for Marincin if he reaches the show in Edmonton is that he doesn’t use his body physically as often as one might expect for a 6’5″ guy. That’s death in Edmonton. Oiler fans like their big D-men to be Chris ‘The Rake’ Pronger and if they aren’t, fans have no use for them. Petry is already one step on the bus to being run out of town by some Oiler fans and he actually throws a solid body check.

I’d love to see Marincin make the NHL, maybe get him into a cup of coffee this year and next before debuting as a 6th D in his second contract. I can see the trade bait argument though. The one thing going against that is that a big, puck-moving D-man sounds exactly like what’s on MacT’s Christmas list. So he’ll have to use Marincin as part of a package to get a more advanced version of Marincin.

Marincin’s future in Edmonton relies as much on the other prospects as it does on his own. If Klefbom and Nurse push ahead of him on the depth chart (based on organizational preference), then Gernat and Simpson’s timeline might be a better fit for the Oilers than Marincin.

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wheatnoil: As it is, Marincin is just the perfect piece for the ‘young, promising prospect’ card in LT’s 3 for 1 trade… which, if I understand how things work around here, means it won’t happen until LT has a blog post that says, “The 3 for 1 is stupid!” Until then, Marincin is safe as an Oiler!

You’ve been called out LT.

Write the damn post. We need that stud D.

70. stevezie says:

Woodguy: Somewhere along the line, Eakins turned a team that was in the fight to one that isn’t.

Irony of ironies, is Eakins problem that he was too flexible?

71. David says:

Romulus Apotheosis: http://ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/9262

Nick is a powerful player and when he is skating and driving hard, he is extremely difficult to stop. He has a nose for the net and will take the puck to the net and can score with a very good shot or in tight around net. Very good along the boards and can quickly win a puck battle and create an scoring chance. With his skating and size, he opens up lots of opportunities for his line mates. Players like him, are not common. That was Bob’s write up. From that sounds like skating isn’t bad.

72. VanOil says:

Just an unoriginal thought can we feed Marincin 7 good size Oklahoma stakes laced with hormones a week and then convert him to a winger. He could be in the NHL next year if he can beat Joensuu out of the 3d line left wing role.

Who stabbed Joensuu in the boy bits with a voodoo doll and hobbled him between the pre-season and the regular season? Man has he lost a step and a pair, I hope it is persistent and a eventually curable injury.

stevezie: Irony of ironies, is Eakins problem that he was too flexible?

That might be it.

Since game 7 of the season, Taylor Hall is 38%CF

That’s the same as Lennart Petrell last year.

74. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    Couple of tweets from Tyler:

mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey 45m

mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey 44m

I wonder what the change in strategy was?

Some are saying the fore check isn’t as aggressive as it was.

Uhoh.

That was about game 13 or so (the announced style change).

I think it was the ‘ here we go again’ effect.

75. Romulus Apotheosis says:

David: Nick is a powerful player and when he is skating and driving hard, he is extremely difficult to stop.

Thanks.

I caught that before, but my question is… does that describe a Gazdic type skater:

(pretty good straight away speed, big guy that pushes D back with size, but can’t pivot with speed or track opponents in his own end)

or a Hall type skater:

(powerful, exploding speed drives D back, able to execute plays, pivots at speed, able to track opponents in his own end).

I guess there is just a few ways to interpret Bob here.

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil: Just an unoriginal thought can we feed Marincin 7 good size Oklahoma stakes laced with hormones a week and then convert him to a winger.

Is he from Transylvania? ;)

77. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje: That was about game 13 or so (the announced style change).

I think it was the ‘ here we go again’ effect.

It was later that he announced it, but he announced it with a smirk and said something like “we actually scrapped it 5 or 6 games ago and it’s funny that none of you noticed”

78. DeadmanWaking says:

I woke up today with the cure. After the next three home shut-out losses, everyone in attendance links hands and sings:

Fahoo Fores Dahoo Dores
    Fahoo Fores Dahoo Dores
    Welcome, welcome fahoo ramus
    Welcome, welcome dahoo damus
    Fahoo fores dahoo dores
    Fahoo fores dahoo dores

Only in my dream it was simplified to:

Badu badu baidu baidu
    Badu badu baidu baidu
    Welcome, welcome badu baidu
    Welcome, welcome badu baidu
    Badu badu baidu baidu
    Badu badu baidu baidu

I know that Baidu is a Chinese search engine (search and you will not find), but I don’t know what “badu” signifies. Anyway, in my dream it was sung with a strangely Norwegian accent. Hunter was somewhere up in the rafters drumming his fingers in disgust on his antlered Shar-Pei.

The Grinch Ending (Original 1966)

Had no idea the narration and the voice of the Grinch himself was supplied by Boris Karloff.

Also noticed the Whovillers have some serious hair. Perhaps they’re so happy because the Whoville Warblers made the playoffs after a fifty year drought brought on by the great jersey foofaraw where the Bearded Barbet narrowly beat out Bearded Tit and the Copper Breasted Mohawk.

The winner was colourful, but tends to lose the puck in his skates.

***

I noticed Woodguy’s finest 4:30 in movies in a recent thread. Love that clip, but don’t think it beats the Ed Wood baptism scene for the ultimate cocksucker put down.

79. David says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Thanks.

or a Hall type skater:

I guess there is just a few ways to interpret Bob here.

For sure. He’s a player I hope the Oilers are scouting thoroughly to find answers like that.

80. Kitchener says:

DeadmanWaking,

I’m rehearsing this piece with a choir now. The official spelling is “Fah who foraze! Dah who doraze!”

“Badu” is the name of my cat.

In some ways, we’re all a little the Who’s – we have no Christmas presents (wins) yet we’re smiling ear to ear anyway. But if we’d lost to Calgary we’d have probably turned into a pack of rabid monkeys.

81. russ99 says:

It would be worth the Oilers while to be patient with Marincin.

His numbers are on pace with last year if you take away the massive stat bump he got playing with Eberle, Hall, RNH and Justin Schultz for 35 games.

By the time he’s 23/24 and fills out physically, he’s going to be a heck of the player with the skill set he has. Size/strength is the only thing missing in his game. 187 is too light at 6’5″ to be effective physically in the defensive zone, and those d-zones decisions are easier to make when you have size and can use it.

I’m still anticipating a “baby Chara” type game from him in his late 20′s and I hope it’s with the Oilers and not some other team.