#7 PROSPECT: ANTON BELOV

The Edmonton Oilers had a major hole on defense in spring 2013, and spent a roster spot and significant dollars on Russian Anton Belov. The reward? An immediate addition to their top 6 at the NHL level, and time purchased for the kids to mature.

PREVIOUSLY NUMBER SEVEN ON THE WINTER LIST

• December 2004: D Jeff Woywitka (278)
  • December 2005: L Alexei Mikhnov (2)
  • December 2006: G Devan Dubnyk (157)
  • December 2007: C Riley Nash (58)
  • December 2008: D Jeff Petry (179)
  • December 2009: D Jeff Petry (179)
  • December 2010: C Tyler Pitlick (3)
  • December 2011: D Martin Gernat (0)
  • December 2012: C Jujhar Khaira (0)

Woywitka has played in 278 games but in 50 games in one season only twice; Mikhnov was a bust and we’re going to be waiting on Pitlick, Gernat and Khaira for awhile. However, there’s some successful players here: former 1st round pick Devan Dubnyk, 2nd round selection Jeff Petry and possibly Riley Nash (another 1st rounder). Petry and Dubnyk were not sexy picks but as we head toward the middle of the decade following their selection, both offer impressive value.

Can Belov play more than 278 games? Can he have a Jan Hejda calibre career in the NHL? belov1

WHAT THEY SAID WHEN THEY SIGNED HIM

• MacT: “I expect him to make the team. We’re planning on starting the season with him with us next season.”
  • MacT: “We went over (to the WHC) watched him and very much liked what we saw. We’re excited to have him.”
  • MacT:It’s a move to trying to build more mobility into our back end. He moves the puck well. He makes quick decisions with the puck. He has a high skill level and competes hard. The expectation is that he’s going to come in and help us.”
  • MacT: “He’s big. He plays heavy. He’s got some toughness.”
  • Belov: “I am very happy I ended up with the Oilers. Of all of the clubs the Oilers showed the most interest. First of all, I think, it’s because the team needs a defenseman of the type I am… I heard that the Oilers GM Craig MacTavish came to the World Championships and watched me play. I like the fact that the team in Edmonton is turning out to be very promising. There are young stars, especially on offense, so the club has a big future.”
  • Dmitry Chesnokov: “If I have to describe him in one sentence, I’d say that the past season, and considering it was a lockout season so there were a lot of NHL players in the KHL, he was probably, unofficially the best defenceman in the KHL. This is the best way to describe him. He was one of the brighter spots on the Russian national team at the World Championships. Everybody knows the … performance that team had, but he was one of the players who stood out. The amount of improvement he has shown the past few years along with his e maturity, I think Edmonton has got a great, great player.

2013-14 NHL SEASON (so far)

• 22, 0-4-4 24pims
  • 0-2-2 evens (0.34 5×5/60)
  • 0-2-2 power play (1.41 5×4/60)
  • -6
  • CorsiON: -3.1, 2nd best on the Oilers
  • Qual Comp: the soft parade
  • EV TOI: 16:52 per game, 5th on Oilers
  • PP TOI: 2:02 per game, 3rd on Oilers
  • PK TOI: 50 seconds, 7th on Oilers
  • Overall TOI: 19:45, 5th on Oilers

THE VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

belov sledgehammerEakins is handling him like a rookie in terms of tough matches and his zone starts are about average. He’s clearly among the top 6D’s as a rookie (more on the definition of a rookie later) and I don’t think he’s got enough offense to earn his keep and be a negative defensively.

PREVIOUS TOP 20 RANKING

• Summer 2013: 11
  • Winter 2013: 7

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING THIS SEASON

belov

• MacT: “I describe him as a guy who really makes good purposeful quick decisions with the puck. He really moves the puck up ice quickly. He doesn’t look for too many more options. That’s what stood out about him. He’s strong and physical on the boards. He battles hard … shoots the puck well so he’s got a chance. The game is a little quicker here on the smaller ice. That will be an adjustment for him, but a really impressive guy.”
  • Eakins on Belov: “I thought he’d probably have an off night and he didn’t, I thought he was solid. We’re going to have to play him a fair amount without killing him, first impression was okay.” (September)

BELOV’S FUTURE

There’s no guarantee Belov will sign with Edmonton, but I think he’s proven enough at this point we should assume the club would like to retain his services. If we guess they’ll keep Ference and Belov from the left side group currently (Nick Schultz and Ladislav Smid before Laddy was sent away), that gives them room to add a #1D and Darnell Nurse to the left side, like this:

• Eric Brewer 2004—Jeff Petry
  • Anton Belov—Justin Schultz
  • Darnell Nurse—Andrew Ference

Belov’s pending free agency means there is some question about his future, but I’m content in placing him here. The kids who are behind him are all miles from the NHL (save one) and despite their potential are not a sure thing in any way. Anton Belov’s 22 games currently will trump most of the prospects behind him on my list.

WHY IN HELL IS HE LISTED ANYWAY?

belov5On all of the lists save this one, Belov is not considered a prospect. I respect that, the NHL definition of a rookie is very specific and Belov doesn’t qualify. I just don’t buy into it, for me Belov’s NHL debut can be called something else if you wish but he’s still new to the league and as such should be considered a prospect. Fernando Pisani was 26 or damn near when he made his NHL debut, but the NHL considered him a rookie. Was Pisani less able to deal with NHL players than Belov? Make I ask why?

Anton Belov’s status as a Calder-eligible is silly enough, but for me to treat his NHL debut as something aside from a prospect—despite his age—seems unfair. The NHL can go ahead and make sure their precious award doesn’t go to the next Makarov, but excluding Belov from this conversation avoids an area of procurement that is very valuable.

And omits his accomplishment from the game’s history. The NHL doesn’t care about their own history, it is left to us to make sure that men like Anton Belov are noted for their first season impact.

He’s on the list.

47 Responses to "#7 PROSPECT: ANTON BELOV"

1. bookje says:

I think that North Americans don’t give enough respect to the KHL. The discussions about Belov have tended to treat the KHL like it were the AHL. I think in the future if we see someone who is a top KHL performer, we should probably assume that they can play the game. Also, if someone is a struggling KHLer like Grebeshov, we should also submit that performance will translate into their play in the NHL. It’s the second best league in the world.

bookje:
    I think that North Americans don’t give enough respect to the KHL.The discussions about Belov have tended to treat the KHL like it were the AHL. I think in the future if we see someone who is a top KHL performer, we should probably assume that they can play the game.Also, if someone is a struggling KHLer like Grebeshov,we should also submit that performance will translate into their play in the NHL.It’s the second best league in the world.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“He’s clearly among the top 6D’s as a rookie (more on the definition of a rookie later) and I don’t think he’s got enough offense to earn his keep and be a negative defensively.”

Why do you hate Belov?

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That’s Belov a couple of days ago reflecting on life in EDM (he’s brought his wife and daughter over — great signs for the longterm of the team and for the player’s own quality of life) and his play in the NHL (feeling more comfortable).

His English is astonishing considering how difficult it is for him to understand the questions as his answers are direct and clear (Wescott is not very good at this BTW… try not to mumble and add extraneous clauses when talking to a non-native speaker… jeez)

Best part of the video… from 0:00 to 0:01, first damn second. Belov starts by giving the camera a hard stare like he’s is either confounded by it or about to challenge it to a duel, then Wescott asks him a question and his neck/head darts up to him with lightning speed… Squirrel!

5. Old School G says:

The Belov/Hejda comparison is quite sound, I don’t think we drop the ball with Belov like we did with Hejda though. I liked Hejda and really like Belov’s game, big, strong, calm guy, booming shot, good puck decisions, scary quiet, what’s he thinking anyways? He’s playing like a legitimate top 4 guy on a competitive team by my eye.

Eric Brewer 2004 was the man. Modern day equivalents? Hamonic? Carlson? Bogosian? Hmmmm. What do they cost?

LT, what season do you see both Nurse and Klefbom up full time with the big club?

6. Pouzar says:

Old School G:
    The Belov/Hejda comparison is quite sound, I don’t think we drop the ball with Belov like we did with Hejda though. I liked Hejda and really like Belov’s game, big, strong, calm guy, booming shot, good puck decisions, scary quiet, what’s he thinking anyways? He’s a legitimate top 4 guy on a competitive team.

As regulars? 2015-16.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Belov’s remarks about the practice to game ratio NHL/KHL is interesting, reminds me of the college vs. chl difference. I wonder if J. Schultz has talked to him about this?

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar:

It’s a real concern (both his cost and his desire to stay), but I think we shouldn’t be too concerned about it for one over-riding reason:

He turned down a big contract, stability, term, etc. in his homeland where he is a burgeoning star, speaks the language and has every advantage to come and play for one of the worst teams in the NHL (mind you he could have gone anywhere, the Pens really wanted him) on an entry level deal.

He chose the NHL, he chose the Oilers.

I imagine he came over thinking, if this works out I get this contract (i.e., he’s got something specific in his mind and I imagine term is more important than dollars — he wants to play in the NHL) and I imagine he’d be happy to give the Oilers first crack at it.

10. Logan91 says:

When are we going to see this Anton Belov?

11. Andy P says:

Pouzar: I was lambasted on another site for suggesting that Belov is getting more expensive by the day and may bolt as a UFA. People really are easily threatened on an internet forum.

I’m sure that MacT knows that as well as any of us, and I’m also hoping he doesn’t wait until Belov is too expensive.

On the other hand if we can keep a good collection of happy Russians in our fold, the collective may help keep them here, but it might be less hometown discount and more just maintaining a level of comfort here on a team they hopefully believe in by the time contract negotiations come up. Maybe this is a normal thing nowadays but I heard when Katz took over the team he put a concierge in place to help with everything from housing to doctors appointments.

This is why, to me, doing increasingly well as the season builds at the expense of lottery position, is important in order to attract the quality of player that will take us to the next level, as well as the depth players.

12. bookje says:

Lowetide: Agreed. I also think that by not acknowledging that Belov is a ‘first year player” there’s less attention on it and that’s wildly unfair. This was an astute signing and the player is bona fide.

Great signing certainly. First year NHL – yep. Rookie? I wouldn’t think its fair to the kids in the league to call him a rookie. Maybe we need a new category.

13. steveb12344 says:

I think there might be a little more offence here as well. He has that big shot from the point, but he must damn near lead the league in getting his shots blocked. My guess is he has a lot more shot attempts than actual shots. Once he learns how to get them through consistently, he may start to put up some crooked numbers with a little more frequency.

Maybe that’s something else he can talk to Jultz about. That kid has the seeing-eye shot pretty much down.

14. Andy P says:

Logan91: When are we going to see this Anton Belov?http://youtu.be/3r44G5whC94

The guy must have insulted his wife or mother to get him that angry.

bookje: Great signing certainly.First year NHL – yep.Rookie?I wouldn’t think its fair to the kids in the league to call him a rookie.Maybe we need a new category.

Agreed. If the NHL wants the rookie of the year to be an 18-25 year old, that’s cool. But even if they don’t give an award to the 26+ first year players, there should be more attention given.

the Oilers INCREASED the overall talent pool of their team for just dollars, and Belov has adjusted nicely imo. MLB doesn’t give a rat’s ass if you’re 50, they just care about the boxscore.

steveb12344:
    I think there might be a little more offence here as well.He has that big shot from the point, but he must damn near lead the league in getting his shots blocked.My guess is he has a lot more shot attempts than actual shots.Once he learns how to get them through consistently, he may start to put up some crooked numbers with a little more frequency.

Maybe that’s something else he can talk to Jultz about.That kid has the seeing-eye shot pretty much down.

Belov’s sight is set a little too high as well imo. He actually reminds me of Jerry Korab in a lot of ways. I’m glad he’s played well defensively, because MacT has dreamed of playing him on the wing, guaranteed.

17. Logan91 says:

Andy P: How many games suspended would a kick to the back with a skate on a downed player cost in the world of Shanahan?
    The guy must have insulted his wife or mother to get him that angry.

This one is my all time favourite.

18. justDOit says:

I don’t always watch football, but when I do, it’s because the Riders are playing.

GO RIDERS!

19. Lois Lowe says:

I think the Oilers did well to make sure that Belov’s wife and family got settled in Edmonton and are happy. That goes a long way in resigning a player; people are averse to change and if they think moving and settling into a new city is going to be onerous, they may just decide that a long term deal makes more sense for them. Surely the attraction to New York/Washington’s large Russian communities is strong.

20. wheatnoil says:

MacT made a few $1.5 Million dollar bets over the summer and some of them haven’t panned out at this point (Grebs, Jones), but Belov is an absolutely wonderful $1.5 Million bet. Nevermind his clear top 6 play turning into clear top 4 play, his very existence on the roster keeps Klefbom / Marincin down in OKC. In that way, Belov is a gift that may just keep on giving if it helps Klefbom’s development.

Now, can we have another?

21. rickithebear says:

Logan91:
    When are we going to see this Anton Belov?

Logan91: This one is my all time favourite.

What you do noyt see is the full videos.

belov is cross cheched in the Jaw.
    He pronged hooks young tarasenko than turns his skate and kicks the young man with his boot.
    then reaches for his Jaw.

In the other he is checked from behind and no penalty is called by the ref. He waits for the player to move up ice and destroys him leaving his feet. Then skates over to the ref on centre of ice. Makes a comment to him and skates over to the Box.

These videos made it to us and the NHL. You think he got a game on a clean hit cause the ref watched these videos! the league does its work.

So do the players! other teams toughs often make eye contact with him.
    Them skating away says it all.

22. jfry says:

OT, but with LT’s permission.

there’s a hockey contest i wanted to tell you all about because i think that everyone here would like to win it and basically NO ONE has entered yet. you win a trip to detroit for the heritage classic and then a trip to las vegas for the NHL awards. it’s a $15,000 prize pack and all you have to do is answer a few questions about your favourite hockey moments — the better your answer, the more likely you’re a finalist. anyhow, thought i’d share as it’s a pretty amazing prize that I thought this community would certainly enjoy:

23. wheatnoil says:

wheatnoil:

I realize now that LT made that exact point in the first three lines of his post… which I just restated in a different way. Sorry about that. Me-thinks I need another coffee this morning.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

rickithebear: young tarasenko

I’m pretty sure it’s Kuznetsov.

Speaking of which, that guy is a killer:

When is he finally coming over? If next year, he’ll be 22, fully baked and ready to roll. Any word on his commitment to the NHL? At this point the $$ in the KHL is got to be a lot more tempting than an ELC.

25. Logan91 says:

rickithebear:
    What you do noyt see is the full videos.

belov is crosscheched in the Jaw.
    Hepronged hooks young tarasenko than turns his skate and kicks the young man with his boot.
    then reaches for his Jaw.

So do the players! other teams toughs often make eye contact with him.
    Them skating away says it all.

I love Belov, he’s a scary guy. Hope he gets signed for a long time.

The Oilers need more players like him

26. Logan91 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’m pretty sure it’s Kuznetsov.

Speaking of which, that guy is a killer:

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Logan91: http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2013/02/09/evgeny-kuznetsov-i-promised-to-come-to-the-nhl-after-the-olympics-no-matter-what/

Thanks for the find.

This kid married really young (he was married at the WJC two years ago IIRC) and seems pretty standup.

Caps are a nice place for Russians with Ovi too. Let’s hope Yak can continue to pull them in.

28. Numenius says:

I still find it hard to belov that we got such a great D for free. Excellent work by McT.

29. Logan91 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Thanks for the find.

Thats true, hopefully now the Oil can take more chances on Russians with players like Yak and Belov on the team.

Even having the Oil give Bryz a chance when he could have gone else where makes this team a lot more appealing to Russians.

30. Andy P says:

I love these Russians, the way they wear their feelings on their sleeve, and their very practical approach to hockey –
    “you back check me? I break your nose and your ankle”
    “you want score? give me puck”
    not that anyone said that, it’s just how they seem to approach the game.

31. TeeVee says:

Logan91,

I knew it. You can tell by the emotionless looks he gives other players. There’s some killer in there.

Love it!!

32. Logan91 says:

TeeVee:
    Logan91,

WOW!

Uh oh…. What did I do?

33. TeeVee says:

I watched the 2 videos :-)

Good stuff

34. Logan91 says:

TeeVee:
    I watched the 2 videos

Good stuff

Yeah he was pretty nasty in the KHL, had some good fights too.

Like Ricki said, players now know to screw around with him. There aren’t to many scrums when he’s on the ice, and when he gives a player a little shove away from the net there’s never really any retaliation.

I’ve been waiting for Belov to snap on someone since the beginning of the season, maybe he decided he needed to change that part of the game to play in the NHL.

35. Fixall with Rexall says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Whoa, whoa, whoa……..did he just say he doesn’t like to practice? Did that Russian just say he doesn’t like to practice!!!!! Let’s sell our shares.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Logan91: Yeah he was pretty nasty in the KHL, had some good fights too.

Look for clips of near any hockey player on youtube, even NHL stars, and the vast majority are of them getting hit, injured, hitting, injuring or fighting. This creates an unrepresentative picture of the player, esp. with Defensemen who rarely have youtube worthy goals in their back-pocket.

That said, we’ve definitely seen some big hits from him. Just last game he had a few real nice ones. It’s definitely part of his game… but he doesn’t appear to sacrifice his steady play to hunt for it, which is great.

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Look at Darnell Nurse on youtube:

a lot of fights on there, esp. if you look at videos posted prior to the draft.

38. Andy P says:

Практика для девчушки мальчиков

39. Lloyd B. says:

Explain Wayne Gretzky and Peter Stastny again for those of us old enough to remember that embarrassment.

40. Logan91 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I think we have to be careful here. The clips show that Belov is no shrinking violet… but hockey fans and youtube have an unhealthy relationship.

This is true, youtube is more for the physical clips of sports, but video clearly shows Belov isn’t going to put up with someone giving him a dirt shot.

Nurse is a pretty nasty player at times too, loves to be very physical. Even during the pre season he wasn’t afraid to exchange with the older players who would try to give him a shove in scrums. I wasn’t to big on Nurse when he was drafted (I wanted the Oil to draft Ristolainen), but after watching Nurse during the pre season and more this year, i’m a huge Nurse fan.

Everyone says how the team gets pushed around to often, but with more big physical players like Nurse and Belov that’s not going to happen as much.

41. RexLibris says:

Lois Lowe,

There is a strong enough Russian ex-pat population here in Edmonton, none of these guys should feel homesick if the proper community connections are made. The resources are all there, all the Oilers need do is reach out and ask.

They did this, reputedly, with Marincin back in Prince George. Found him a couple of Slovakian matrons to help him with the language and cook for him. I suspect that made a big difference for the kid.

42. RexLibris says:

Speaking of Belov’s nasty streak…

Best circle December 7th on the calendar, that is the next game against the Flames and the fans there are calling for Ference’s head on a stick after the Stempniak fight.

The general argument goes that because Ference “jumped” Stempniak the Flames’ McGrattan should grab and rag-doll Ference and then the team should target all of the Oilers’ skill players.

The team is starting to slide and perspective is beginning to go out the window amongst the fan base.

If the Flames players share that sentiment then that game could become pretty ugly.

Should be a good re-match, I just hope the Oilers don’t fall back into bad habits by then.

43. geowal says:

Yep, that was a great plan. Too bad they threw it out the window when Smid was traded. Guess 20 games of maturing was enough.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Here’s the answer on Larsen:

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    Back soreness –> RT @TheChrisWescott #Oilers Coach Eakins on Larsen, “if you didn’t see him at practice, you know he’s a few days away.”

Joensuu’s Disease.

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Eakins Presser:

Interesting comments on RNH, his qualcomp (not in those terms), his feistiness and developing his “old man strength”

Matty asks some weird management questions: why didn’t teams pick up SMac? Why have 3 Gs in OKC?

Update/interview by NHL network with Dillon Simpson:

skirt the issue of signing with the team

46. Hammers says:

McT : Just get him signed .