After last night’s game there was a lot of upset about the way Edmonton played last night. I thought the game was much closer than the score, let’s have a look.
EXTRA SKATER (all numbers 5×5)
- Corsi for: 37-35 Edmonton
- Corsi close: 3-2 Edmonton
- Top Corsi for % (F): Sam Gagner 69.2
- Top Corsi for % (D): Nick Schultz 71.4
- Low Corsi for % (F): Luke Gazdic 28.6
- Low Corsi for % (D): Andrew Ference 38.1
The comments section last night was rife with comments about Sam Gagner, and it does appear Oiler fans have found their next Horcoff. One of the items from last night:
- I simply don’t think he’s in a guy who would be considered a cornerstone or franchise player.
Agreed completely. Gagner is making $4.8M which ranks outside the league’s top 50 in terms of cap hit. When healthy, Gagner is a solid complementary player to the big guns—no more, no less—and we need to remember that moving forward. Whatever the reasons for last night’s loss, I don’t think Gagner’s 69.2 Corsi for % is a main culprit last night, and would encourage you to evaluate Gagner bassed on what we’ve seen in the past—he has value, but is not an impact player. I thought we knew this, folks.
- Dallas Eakins got caught out there (by eye) with poor matchups. Not just the Acton line against the Tsar Bomba too many times, but the weakest defense pairing out there too.
- Andrew Ference did not have a good game.
- The special teams abandoned them.
- Sometimes you have to give the other man his due.
That’s it. Sucks that there aren’t more villains in the piece, but not everything is Shakespeare. Now back to turning Gagner into Aaron the Moor…..
It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to figure out the Oilers are looking about for defensive help—there were three Oiler men at an OHL game the other day in which the only real prospects of note were already drafted players like Matt Finn, Ben Harpur and Radek Faksa. I love those first round picks in the top 10 as much as anyone, but at this point if MacT can grab a quality top pairing blue who is signed to a contract with some term, I’m good to go.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
A very busy day, expect some fluidity in regard to guests. 10am, TSN 1260, scheduled to appear:
- Scott Reynolds, Copper and Blue. We’ll talk Oiler loss, and the general state of the team.
- Corey Pronman, ESPN and Hockey Prospectus. We’ll talk Subway Series and 2014 draft.
- Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. Bruce had a bird’s eye view of last night’s action and we’ll discuss.
- Jeff Krushell, Krush Performance. We’ll talk about the Curt Bennett (and others) lawsuit against the NHL.
10-1260 via text and @Lowetide_ on twitter.