BLACKHAWKS AT OILERS, G25 13-14

The Edmonton Oilers put their modest three game winning streak up against the Stanley Cup champions tonight because, well, this is the season from hell and that’s how it works. The club has been building some momentum (especially on the powerplay) and would appear to be out of their early season doldrums—but a game against middling competition would have been nice before climbing Everest.

GOALIES

dubnyk common1Logic and reason suggest Dubnyk gets the start—he’s certainly rested—and the club can look to start Bryzgalov sometime during the road trip. It’s wait and see, but at this point Dubnyk would have to have the inside track on the starter’s role since he’s been money the last while. I don’t agree with those who feel signing Bryzgalov was a giant waste of time, if only because it gives them another trade asset for the deadline.

What would it take for you to be comfortable dealing Dubnyk to (say) the Islanders at the deadline? Let’s say he’s playing well and Bryzgalov has matched him step for step, and the Islanders want Dubnyk? What’s enough? It would have to be more than a second, right? But not a first certainly. Fair? Interesting thought anyway, we have plenty of time to chat about it.

Jason LaBarbera is an interesting case. I imagine he’ll have enough value during the season for a team to come calling.

TRADE RUMORS AND FREE AGENCY

phaneuf

HNIC talked about Dion Phaneuf taking less than 100% to stay in Toronto, and that makes me smile. It might be tough to give up all those Stanley’s by leaving the Big Smoke, but pure money for a top D is much better than assets and money to land the big man. Dion Phaneuf as an Oiler? Sure. It’ll take some getting used to and we shouldn’t let him near the blackboard when the kids are watching, but that’s a strong option.

Bruce Garrioch has the Oilers kicking the tires on Michael Del Zotto, that looks like a sideways move if any, and Del Zotto’s value isn’t outstanding at this time. Garrioch also says he talked to an executive who said “they (Oilers) want to do something but they overrate their players which means the prices are high.” I’m fine with that, MacT is dealing with jackals and pirates and they’d end his GM career in a heartbeat if it meant extending their own. I’ve also read (somewhere) the Flyers told the Oilers not to bother them anymore unless Eberle’s on the table.

Rowboats for Ocean liners. Jackals. Garrioch also had two scouts at the Boston-Carolina game and Lowe, MBS and Musil were at Guelph-Kitchener yesterday afternoon.

Elliotte Friedman mentioned Ales Hemsky to Ottawa on Saturday night, if he must go then the Senators (if they get things straightened out) would be an acceptable landing spot. Ottawa has some nice things, one wonders if the Oilers will take picks back, or possibly picks and a player (Ottawa is money aware).

Christian Ehrhoff is getting a lot of mentions here and other Oiler blogs, I have always liked him and his Vollman looks good

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

buffalo blueEhrhoff’s CorsiON is better than Pysk’s and Myers and lordy Pysyk is in the deep end early. I imagine Matty will have a Drew Stafford article up this week, and I kind of wonder if the Oilers are still interested in Mikhail Grigorenko (although he’s been poor), but Ehrhoff to Edmonton is something to ponder and endorse (depending on price).

koroll2Cliff Koroll was one of my favorite players as a kid. I saw him a lot in 1971 and 1973 and then Chicago didn’t get a lot of playoff time for a few years (read: TV time) but he hung around a long while and played in the first season Edmonton was in the NHL (Oilers and Hawks have had a lot of things in common over the years). Cliff Koroll got an assist on the first goal-against in Oiler NHL history (goal by John Marks, other assist by some guy named Mikita).

I’ve been saying forever that the Oilers need a Pisani-Koroll type, but as it happens they appear to have lucked out with Ryan Smyth and the fountain of youth. They’ll have to ride that nag til he drops—and at 400 years old, he will—but it’s nice to see all the same.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

monroe8Big game against a great opponent tonight. We’ll set the stage at 10 this morning on TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Tyler Dellow from mc79hockey. We’ll talk about the Oilers improvement at 5×4, preview tonight’s game and find a #1D.
  • Travis Yost from hockeybuzz. Ottawa Senators and Hemsky rumors.
  • Scott Reynolds from Copper and Blue. We’ll talk about the Blackhawks and just how far the Oilers have to go in order to compete at their level.
  • Andrew Bucholtz from 55-yard line. Grey Cup!

10-1260 via text or @Lowetide_ on twitter.

281 Responses to "BLACKHAWKS AT OILERS, G25 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. icecastles says:

Lowetide: I think this game is about playing a very good Chicago team more than Dubnyk being a bad goalie and Gagner being a waste of skin.
    That said, carry on with the lynching.

In a way, I’m glad to see Chicago playing so well tonight. For a long time, the argument could be made that Edmonton’s dominance over the Hawks some games came from them (edit: ‘them’ being the Blackhawks) overlooking the matchup to some extent. They take the Oilers seriously now. A reassuring sign, and probably good for the Oilers to be reminded that even a freewheeling team like Chicago wins because they can lock it down and play smart, not just fast and loose.

And I don’t think Gagner is a waste of skin. I simply don’t think he’s in a guy who would be considered a cornerstone or franchise player.

Also, he looks way less like Frodo since he cut his hair and got older. Not cool.

2. Gret99zky says:

“right in Crawford’s indian head?”……

3. Alsker says:

That said, carry on with the lynching.

That is the simple truth you speak every day that brings me back here and to your radio show. PLEASE don`t change a thing.

4. OilBuzz says:

Why the fuck is Acton out there?

icecastles:

No one does. No one.

6. icecastles says:

Has Yakupov always been an elite passer? He’s had more than a few beauties tonight… don’t recall that in his game before.

7. D says:

GREAT end to end action there.

8. fuzzy muppet says:

it already looks like Bryz challenges shooters much more than DD. Dubnyk plays so deep, and drops so early that it essentially makes his size null and void.

9. icecastles says:

Lowetide: No one does. No one

10. fuzzy muppet says:

Craig Mactavish does…that may be an issue

11. icecastles says:

fuzzy muppet: it already looks like Bryz challenges shooters much more than DD. Dubnyk plays so deep,

Your comment reminds me of Garon in the shootouts that first year… an anomaly, but what a joy seeing him challenge from almost to the blue line.

Of course I remember going to the skills competition and every single Oiler scoring on him…

12. D says:

Man that second shot by Yakupov was right on the money.

icecastles: Next year’s NTC and the (rumored) gentlemen’s agreement this year suggest they think he’s close to it, doesn’t it?

14. Gret99zky says:

That NMC is going to leave some teethmarks on MacT’s ass.

If you can move him, move him.

And buy his girlfriend some earrings.

15. gcw_rocks says:

If Erhoff is your guys, why is no one talking about trading Gagner for him? Gentleman’s agreement be damned, the team has a serviceable replacement for Gagner in the short term sitting in the press box, and they can draft his long term replacement at the draft with their 1st round pick.

If you are Buffalo, and struggling for offence, Gagner is the age and has the offensive chops you are looking for, perhaps to play on the right side on the top line, or as a second line centre.

It’s a fit for both teams.

16. D says:

The Chicago commentators mentioned that during the last two years of Bryz in Philly, goaltending was really not an issue. I’m hoping that Bryz works out long term in Edmonton. This team played completely different when he replaced Dubnyk.

17. Gret99zky says:

Chicago is in full lockdown mode now.

“Hockdown”

18. Alsker says:

Bryz is unbeatable..unless its the World Cup of course…what type of bear is he? Polar,Kodiak,Grizzly, honestly can`t remember what the Ruskie bear is….

19. Nuckout says:

fuzzy muppet:
    it already looks like Bryz challenges shooters much more than DD.Dubnyk plays so deep, and drops so early that it essentially makes his size null and void.

Bryz seems to be really comfortable with his positioning in the net, he’s been in the right spots so far in the 3rd. Seems confident.

Also, is it just me, or does Smyth look SLOOOOOOW out there?

20. fuzzy muppet says:

4.8 for a guy that’s never had 50 point season and is terrible on faceoffs and defense.

Doesn’t that concern you? It should. I like 89, but he’s a complemetary player that’s not worth his number by a good amount. 3.8 maybe, but 4.8 is terrible.

21. icecastles says:

Lowetide: Gagner’s a $4.8M/cap. How many franchise players are making that with his experience?

You know that’s not the point I raised. My understanding is the NTC makes that cap hit somewhat irrelevant. I could very well be wrong. But it seems like a non-sequiter to raise his cap hit when my point was the NTC: you don’t give those to guys you expect to trade.

Again, I could be misunderstanding it, but I don’t really see how. Unless they like painting themselves into unintended corners on guys they see as movable. That’s a Flames trick.

22. VanOil says:

gcw_rocks:
    If Erhoff is your guys, why is no one talking about trading Gagner for him?

I am on board, anything to prevent me watching the Murdoch Mysteries.

23. D says:

Bryz should have stopped that one.

24. fuzzy muppet says:

I do love Perron. He’s a dick. They need 5 more

D:
    Bryz should have stopped that one.

Not a chance for him on that goal.

26. OilBuzz says:

Lowetide: Not a chance for him on that goal.

Agreed. That was an excellent tip-in.

27. fuzzy muppet says:

SO who starts Thursday? Bryz or DD??

28. Alsker says:

I know we need a 1D but man I miss Don Jacklson,Matt Greene,Marchmant, Gator,Beukeboom type, not a 1D but such a pain to play against…at least they made you you pay for what little success you may have….

29. D says:

Lowetide: Not a chance for him on that goal.

Ok – cool. I am really cheering for Bryz, so I’ll concur with your assessment.

30. gr8one says:

D:
    Bryz should have stopped that one.

You’re kidding right?

No human on the planet can react fast enough to stop a 90 mph puck that drastically changes direction from five feet out.

No. One.

31. russ99 says:

Gagner hemmed MacT into a corner. I’m convinced the Oilers could have signed him for cheaper sooner.

But you can’t blame Gagner and his agent for being shrewd and forced MacT to either fold on the NTC or lose him for nothing next offseason as the youngest UFA in history.

But this is besides the point. One of the unfortunate memes of the Eakins regime is that everyone is expected to defensively apt, and hockey just isn’t like that.

The sign of a good coach is to know when to play Gagner and who to play him with to accentuate his offensive upside and limit the exposure of his defensive shortcomings.

There’s 29 other teams that wouldn’t mind a player like Gagner. Too many of us have bought into the Oilers recent cookie-cutter mentality, and frankly too much of this is wishful thinking about Grabovsky, who wasn’t going to come here anyway.

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 11s

Oilers edge-out shot attempts 37-35, CF% of 51%. Scoring chances evened out, expected goals were 1.7-1.5, EG% ended at 53%. Actual goals 1-3

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

arglebargle as they say.

34. icecastles says:

Lowetide: Not a chance for him on that goal.

35. gr8one says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    arglebargle as they say.

Haha, I love this post…I really can’t say how, but it really summed up my feelings perfectly, but in a far more succinct manner than I ever could have imagined.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 11s

score effects, or the inversion of the Fla game?

37. D says:

gr8one: You’re kidding right?

No. One.

Yes – I concur. I re-assessed that and agree. Missed the change in front of the net, so I initially thought it was a softie.

38. Gret99zky says:

“expected goals were 1.7-1.5″

I am selling my television.

39. gr8one says:

D: Yes – I concur.I re-assessed that and agree.Missed the change in front of the net, so I initially thought it was a softie.

40. fifthcartel says:

TSN is losing the NHL? :(

41. Nuckout says:

icecastles: Agreed. More to the point though, we just saw a completely rusty Bryz come in, mid-game, without warming up properly, and play with absolute confidence and damn near get a shutout in the time he played (garbage time though it may have been). Time will tell how he pans out, but tonight was very heartening that he’ll be able to do the job they signed him for.

As well, the fact that he did as well as he did being thrown to the wolves (hawks?) mid game bodes well for the future. Way too early to tell, but Bryz may turn out to be the signing of the year…….

Naw, Perron (and maybe Gordon) wins that one hands down.

42. D says:

gr8one: I understand, I didn’t mean to pile on either, I hadn’t seen the others posts yet when I made my initial comment, and in retrospect it seems kind of dick-ish, that was not my intent.

Not at all. I should have assessed the play better before posting :)

43. David says:

Oilers played well. Chicago just capitalized. With help from Corey Potter. We kept the good play though.

44. Caramel Obvious says:

russ99:
    Southern Oil,

I just can’t wrap my head around this strategy by Eakins. What other team plays the 4th line so much, and does anyone give them as many offensive zone starts.? It’s just wasting chances in the offensive zone.

If they go with less minutes and use Arcobello, Omark and Joensuu, and I’d be happier.

Again with the making things up. Gazdik is averaging 5:32 a game. That’s not a lot. Less than the fourth liners on Chicago play. Most teams play their fourth line more than the Oilers. And where else would you like them to play?

Now let’s add this to the previous post. You don’t want the fourth line to play defense and you don’t want Gagner to play defense. What is it, exactly, you would like? Would a pony do?

The Oilers’ problem isn’t that the fourth line plays too much. Their problem is that the guys on the fourth line aren’t very good. Swapping Arcobello for Acton isn’t going to change that.

45. TeeVee says:

1. Shorthanded breakaway goal to start things out on a bad decision by Yak at the blueline.
    2. Eberle was caught watching the puck on the Kane goal.
    3. Potter paws one in behind Dubs.
    4. 3-on-1
    5. Hot deflection.

I thought our goalies played great and the Hawks capitalized on the high percentage chances.

A shame.

46. Lois Lowe says:

We Oiler fans have been wandering in the desert as long as Moses. Oy vey!

TeeVee:
    2. Eberle was caught watching the puck on the Kane goal.
    3. Potter paws one in behind Dubs.
    4. 3-on-1
    5. Hot deflection.

A shame.

Yeah, that’s pretty much it for me too. I’d add Chicago is a really good hockey club but you’ve got the truth surrounded imo.

48. Caramel Obvious says:

TeeVee:
    2. Eberle was caught watching the puck on the Kane goal.
    3. Potter paws one in behind Dubs.
    4. 3-on-1
    5. Hot deflection.

A shame.

Yeah, Chicago is a powerhouse. That wasn’t that bad a game. I also don’t know why people are hating on Gagner. I thought he was decent, as were Hemsky and Yakupov. That whole line was in the Fenwick black.

Hall, Eberle, Hopkins on the other hand struggled. As did Ference and Petry. All five by eye and by shots.

Willis mentioned that he thought N. Shultz had looked better this year. I kind of agree.

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

fifthcartel:
    TSN is losing the NHL?

what?

link?

50. Gret99zky says:

Hawks seemed to let up after the 4 goals.

After 25 minutes.

Like they didn’t need to shoot on net or create a lot of scoring chances real, intended or expected.

Just shut down the Oilers.

51. geeker99 says:

Just watching a report on this concussion settlement. No disrespect to anyone suffering from PCS, but how come this seems to come out when paychecks stop. I even had respect for Kypreos when he was asked has he been contacted, “hadn’t put any thought into it”. By the end of the segment he going to look into it. This guy suffered maybe one of the worst knockouts in NHL history. this is worrying for professional sports that are full contact and my favorites. would love to hear some opinions from some of these Bloggers.

52. icecastles says:

Caramel Obvious: What is it, exactly, you would like? Would a pony do?

I thought we had all agreed on a unicorn.

53. fifthcartel says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 11m
    Official announcement expected Tuesday by NHL: CBC and Rogers have exclusive English-language NHL rights deal. Believed to be 12 year deal.

Wonder how many of the TSN hockey people jump ship. I was hoping just Friedman moved to TSN but looks like that might be the other way around now.

54. Nuckout says:

Caramel Obvious: Swapping Arcobello for Acton isn’t going to change that.

And that’s exactly why he’s not playing right now. He’s going to have to wait for Gags or Gordon’s spot, and Gordon isn’t going anywhere. Gags is going to have to slip up immensely for Arco to draw in.

He’s useless on the 4th line, and There’s nowhere for him to go elsewhere. He’s in Eakins back pocket until Gagner gets injured or scratched.

55. bookje says:

geeker99:

Well, it could be that once people are removed from the very intense world of pro sports where you are surrounded by a single mentality and have loads of pressure upon you to succeed, you have time to re-evaluate a situation and give it the thought it deserves.

People like to suggest that players have free will in these situations, but I can tell you that an oppertunity that offers millions of dollars vs a ‘normal Joe’ lifestyle would never be accepted as a ‘free will’ standard in any academic research committee because the temptation of taking the money (and providing for your family, etc) may outweigh one’s own self value – again, this is amplifed when you are surrounded by a world emphasizing that success lies ‘on the field’. People in poor countries sell their kidneys for the same reason.

I wonder what kind of society would support pro sports leagues where there is evidence that those who engage in it are regularly severely injured by their participation. We are not there yet, but may soon be there. Contact will be reduced and we will all still love sports as much as always.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

fifthcartel:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 11m

jeezzz… crap.

this is horrible news. Unless CBC starts broadcasting more games… this is basically running more televised hockey out of town.

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

mind boggling

all this means to me is that we are probably going to get less hockey on tv going forward and the drive to piracy over the course of the deal (12 years) is going to be huge.

58. fifthcartel says:

This means 12 years of missing the opening faceoffs of plays and less McKenzie analysis depending on if he stays with TSN. It’s a sad day for TSN.

59. dangilitis says:

Gret99zky,

“That NMC is going to leave some teethmarks on MacT’s ass.

If you can move him, move him.

And buy his girlfriend some earrings.”

She’s a doctor and dating a multi-millionaire, I think they’ve got her earrings covered…

60. geeker99 says:

bookje,

yeah i hear ya, I hope i don’t come off heartless. i just don’t want the passion of professional sports taken away. there is a reason why these guys are paid crazy amounts of money. I just think that settlement money would be better off preparing athletes for retirement. i think depression is a bigger problem for most retired athletes. thanks bookje

61. dangilitis says:

Nuckout,

re: Sportsnet/CBC deal. Incredible!!! Wow. An absolutely amazing result, didn’t see that coming. It’ll be interesting to see how things roll out now, the local rights are mostly sewn up and this mega-deal goes across basically two generations.

I’ll be in my 60′s when this deal ends!!!! :-) Incredible. Television is an absolute monster.

63. 8p0intgame says:

How about the 2014 1st rounder + Oscar Klefbom + Martin Gernat + 2015 3rd rounder to Florida for Dmitry Kulikov, Shawn Matthias, and Marcel Goc?

RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Acrobello/Gagner-Perron-Yakupov
    Gordon-Matthias-Hemsky
    Goc-Smyth-Jones

Kulikov-Petry
    Belov-J. Schultz
    Ference-Potter

Dubnyk
    Bryzgalov

Then flip Hemsky at the deadline for another 2014 1st rounder?

RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Acrobello-Perron-Yakupov
    Gordon-Matthias-Gagner
    Goc-Smyth-Jones

64. VanOil says:

If I were TSN I would submit the ‘Hockey Song’ into the CBC song contest now to try and get a return on investment. Dun Dun D Dunnn

65. Nuckout says:

dangilitis: Nuckout, I think that the only silver lining in this loss is Eakins’ foolish superstition about not changing the lines when you are winning. Not that I really want them to change the make-up of the top 3 lines quite yet. But maybe it means Arco draws back in.

In hindsight, Maybe Dubnyk should have been given the night off too, but that would have meant playing Bryz in his first game against arguably the best team in the league. Eakins likes to play the odds and he tends to go with the safer bet.

66. geeker99 says:

8p0intgame,
    Hemsky could go on the biggest hot streak ever, he doesnt get you a 1st rounder. sorry

67. art vandelay says:

What were tonight’s Corsi sledgehammers compared to the real-life 5-1 loss?
    By my count, the relVolhammer zone starts were 65.7% – $32.99/lb for the Oilers.
    It looked like the beer vendor in Sec 216 drove the possession battle, but the Closet Fenwick resulted in a tough night for the 4th line against the toughs. Especially in zone starts.

art vandelay:
    What were tonight’s Corsi sledgehammers compared to the real-life 5-1 loss?

Hahahaa. Good one, Art. Giggled.

69. jp says:

icecastles: Come on, Gagner is our new Hemsky – does cool looking things with just enough frequency that normally rational people will ignore all statistical evidence and wax poetic about him, awaiting and promising his ‘breakout season’ every season until he’s 34.

Really? I disagree with you about Gagner, but this characterization of Hemsky is just over the top. I guess the statistical evidence doesn’t include Hemsky scoring at basically a PPG from 2005-2011 and leading the team in scoring the 4 years he topped 60 GP? Yeah, he did cool looking things too, but that’s a level of performance I’d be real happy with from Gagner. Hemsky’s looking less and less like he’ll return to that level of play, but damn, he did some good things for a pretty long time. Not sure what kind of breakout would satisfy you. I hope Gagner is our new Hemsky.

70. Hammers says:

Really ! Why all the complaining . What else did you expect maybe a 4-2 Chicago win . At least Eakins can shave now . Lets face it both DD & Bryz made some decent saves and the goals that went in came about from skaters bad mistakes not goalies . McT needs that other “D” badly and the sooner the better . This year is done so he should try to get something , anything for N.Schultz & Potter right now . I personally would like to see 10-15 games from each of Klefbom , Marincin & Fedun so we can see how they handle themselves . Nothing like the real thing . Plus give Arco a spot and send Acton down (bet he doesn’t get picked up ) Let these guys know there playing for next year squad . Last send Jones down and give Lander some ice time . That’s it for me.

71. Hammers says:

Crazy about CBC / TSN news . TSN has guys that need picked up like Ferraro & CBC can dump about 5 guys . Actually keep Friedman & dump the rest of “the panel” Hughson & Simpson are OK .

72. icecastles says:

jp,

This debate has been going on here for years and years. The Hemsky comp was an analogy, not the central point, so I’m not going to reopen it. If you love Hemsky, cool. I like the guy, if not love him. If you want to see what I’m talking about with the ‘breakout season’, feel free to go through old threads on here but I’m not going to beat that dead horse.

On some level, loving a sports team HAS to be a bit irrational, otherwise it’s not really any fun. For many here, including you, it would seem, Hemsky embodies that irrational loyalty. I have no objection to that. Frankly if sports fans were completely reasonable, we’d all cheer for the same few winning teams and the same few elite players. And that sounds like no fun at all.

Personally, I think Gadzic’s going to have a breakout season next year and score 40.

All shorthanded.

73. 8p0intgame says:

geeker99,

Really? Because the article Marc linked to yesterday said MacT “should be able to get a top pick for Hemsky” (I am paraphrasing).

Personally, even without a first round pick in a shallow draft, I would be happy with centre depth of RNH-Gagner-Gordon-Goc-Matthis-Acrobello-Acton.

74. leadfarmer says:

8p0intgame,

This time of the year most drafts are considered shallow and first round picks have a relatively low value. Players at the beginning of the draft year are compared to players at the end of the draft year the year prior, and are as expected not quite as good. As the year goes on players emerge and the picks are worth the most on draft day and then the cycle repeats.

75. leadfarmer says:

Hammers,

I don’t think you need to see 10-15 games from those players to show you they are not ready. Everyone talks about the Detroit model of development but no one has the patience for it. Klefbom has had to very short seasons and needs at least a full healthy season of development. I would keep him in the AHL this year and next year. Marincin needs at least another year and so does Fedun.

76. 8p0intgame says:

leadfarmer,

Regardless, the Oilers are well past the point of adding players through the draft. We already have 3 first overalls, Eberle, AND (albeit, potentially) Klefbom and Nurse. We need help NOW!

If the 2014 1st rounder, Klefbom, Gernat, and the 2015 third rounder brings back Goc, Kulikov, and Matthias (on the condition Goc resigns in Edmonton), the Oilers have RNH, Gagner, Gordon, Goc, Matthias, Acrobello and Acton for centres. That’s a decent amount of centre depth.

77. russ99 says:

Chicago broadcasters during the wrap up: “Bryzgalov was fantastic!”

Btw: watch the goals against in the highlight video, speaks volumes…

Not saying Dubnyk hasn’t saved our bacon a few times recently, and that 2 periods of mop up should decide things but IMO, Bryz showed enough to get a shot to be the #1.

Players have more confidence on D when they know a GK is going to bail them out.

78. Andy P says:

The fun of a blog is that everyone gets to form their own opinion. I decided the red flags were out after the last performance of the pre-season game. I’ve decided there are 8-9 players on the team that represent the core and are not going to be traded, and that they include Gagner and Eberle.

So, we beat 3 bad teams and lost to a good one. Sorry, guys, it is taking more than 20 games to straighten out. In this instance I am hoping Bob Stauffer nailed it and that the people at the Center Of The Universe were also right when they both said it will take 30 games to find their groove.

Which means we have 5 more games in hand for this group to figure it all out.

I’d say they’re pretty close. We’ve seen a few unicorns galloping around and still a few too many glue horses. No need for panic trades, love to get Erhoff, love to see Larsen/Fedun replace Potter, love to see Lander replace Acton, who belongs in the A. Love to see Acton Sr. depart just because he has the balls to allow the nepotism of his son blocking the path of players who have earned the right to be there.

But I also think that Dubnyk doesn’t have what it takes, never will, and needs to go regardless just because. Put Arco on Lander’s wing with Smyth and see what happens.

5 more games.

79. bookje says:

I’ll be in my 60′s when this deal ends!!!! Incredible. Television is an absolute monster.

80. boxman says:

THUD!!

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje: Let’s talk about the real issue here – how are CBCs origional dramas going to be affected by this?

Republic of Corgis?