BLUE JACKETS AT OILERS G23, 13-14

We’re 25% into the season now and it’s interesting to see how head coach Dallas Eakins is handling the roster—and the differences between this and last season for the Edmonton Oilers. Since the Corsi for % isn’t showing improvement, is there anything we can point to as an improvement?

WHO’S ON THE PENALTY-KILL?

bardot2

• Krueger’s PK: Belanger 3:08; Petrell 2:35; Smyth 2:31; Horcoff 2:29; Lander 1:45; Gagner 1:35; Jones 1:23
  • Eakins PK: Gordon 3:03; Acton 2:06; Eberle 1:49; Smyth 1:41; Arcobello 1:35; Gagner 1:04

So, Gordon gets the Belanger role (and is an upgrade), Eberle is playing the Petrell minutes, Acton replaces Horcoff and Smyth and Gagner remain the same but are penalty-killing less. Arcobello has the Lander spot. Is this progress? Is this year’s team better suited to kill penalties? I should mention that Taylor Hall (0:49), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (0:45) and Ales Hemsky  (0:31) are also getting a turn. None of these guys  got much time (Eberle either) a year ago. This year’s PK is strumming along at 81.7 and last year it was 83.4.

I’m all for getting rid of Lennart Petrell, because even though he was a good 4×5 player he was NOT a good 5×5 winger. Still, you need penalty-killers and Ryan Jones would be able to help in this area based on the past.

Amy Adams

BTN CORSI ON 2012-13

KRUEGER'S OILERS

The Krueger Oilers had that top line doing good things against bad people, and they did it with the Nuge down a quart. The rest of the group was mostly Sonny on the Causeway, that Belanger number is a monster. Nail hung in there okay, didn’t he?

BTN CORSI ON 2013-14

EAKINS OILERSIt feels like there are more NHL players here, but Gazdic is an enforcer and I’m not smart enough to know if Acton is a player because he’s always out there with Gazdic, Brown or Eager. It’s a tragedy for Joensuu but he’s been hurt and his zone starts are stark (Gordon’s zone starts are horribible btw). I really like this team’s forwards, the Hall-Nuge-Eberle and the Gagner-Perron-Hemsky and the Gordon-Kulemin-Yakupov.

Patience.

One thing that chart shows: Arcobello’s sideburns are a monster.

BTN 5X5/60

10. Luke Gazdic 1.24
  11. Boyd Gordon 1.22
  12. Ales Hemsky 1.17
  13. Nail Yakupov 0.95
  14. Sam Gagner 0.87
  15. Jesse Joensuu 0.00

Arcobello’s no good, that’s pretty clear. And what of Acton? Is that pure luck? Has to be. Hall, Perron and Eberle are fine by me and Smyth is over 1.50 and damned if Jones isn’t right on the career average. If you’re looking for someone to blame offensively, Gagner, Yakster, Hemmer and Joensuu (who’s doing the JF Hartikainen at even strength) are good places to start.

That Gagner-Yakupov-Hemsky seems to be turning North, that’ll be a big help.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

johansson10 this morning, it’s the pre-pre-pre-pre-game for the Oilers-Jackets! Scheduled to appear:

HAMILTON SIGHTING

hamilton3

Barons have an early game today, Curtis Hamilton has been activated (have no idea if he’ll play). The ‘snail trio’ of Tyler Pitlick, Hamilton and Ryan Martindale have all been injured this season, but at least they broke through to play some NHL games (3, by Pitlick). It’s a sad reflection of their pro careers that those three games may represent the total sum of their efforts.

There’s still time for Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds but it might be an idea to stay healthy and do something.

262 Responses to "BLUE JACKETS AT OILERS G23, 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. SK Oiler Fan says:

Forgot about Horton and Gaborik being out. That explains a lot.

2. lance says:

Maybe you were right about Smid the whole way.

too soon?

3. Henry says:

How can you not call a slew foot?

4. RexLibris says:

“Let’s go Oilers”

Hmmm, been awhile since I’ve heard that chant. Did they have to show the lyrics on the jumbotron?

5. Lucinius says:

And Gagner, with a wide open net.. puts it right into the down and out goaltender.

6. OilClog says:

I’m going to predict 12-2 losses every game now.

7. RexLibris says:

Just had a look at the boxscore.

Hall no points. Funny, considering his play tonight.

8. justDOit says:

That was Mcelheinous!

9. OilBuzz says:

I, for one, am glad that Yakupov’s slump is coming to an end.

10. Kitchener says:

6-0 helps release a little more of the tension that was gripping this team. Now they need to beat a top-10 team.

94 & 57 = a great story.

11. justDOit says:

Not sure what got into Yak’s skating lately, but let’s keep doing this, mkay?

12. RexLibris says:

RexLibris:
    Just had a look at the boxscore.

Hall no points. Funny, considering his play tonight.

Called it.

;)

Hall (Eberle)

14. justDOit says:

Taylor with the convert!

15. Kitchener says:

FnA

16. dangilitis says:

playing 4th line now is just spitting in Dubnyk’s face

If Yak continues to play like this there will be 2 forwards to drive the bus, one on each line.

I want Dreger to look back at what he said in disgust.

17. Kitchener says:

Ference just mada a good play – he had an opportunity to rough a guy (he deserved it) but Ference stepped back, not taking a penalty, not putting DD’s SO on the line.

Timing.

18. justDOit says:

How is this possible? I just…

A nice nice moment. Devan Dubnyk climbed through something resembling the sewers of Shawshank this fall.

20. OilBuzz says:

Warm and fuzzy inside

21. Lucinius says:

The one line that deserved better was the Hemsky/Yak line. Lot of chances to bury that didn’t quite work out. This game could have easily been 11-0.

22. Young Oil says:

Lucinius:

Gagner was a spectator on that line for much of the game I found. Yak and Hemmer ran the show.

Would love to see Arco get a chance between them. Gags might need a couple of games in the press box the way he has been playing.

23. Rondo says:

Boone Jenner would look good in a Oiler uniform

24. Henry says:

Lucinius:

Your right. Oilers feeling it and CBJ played as bad as the Oilers did against Detroit.

Few guys seemed like they gave a shit at all. Though Johnson of all people kind of impressed me. Going to look at him differently.

25. lance says:

SAN JOSE
    ANAHEIM
    TAMPA BAY
    ST. LOUIS
    PITTSBURGH
    CHICAGO

What’s the over / under on wins?

—–

An hour later I’m still laughing about Lowe calling Columbus all mickey mouse. Nice one steve.

26. bookje says:

Sometimes I think overcoming that kind of adversity makes for a better player/team.

27. wheatnoil says:

See, that game there, that’s what 3 scoring lines is supposed to look like.

Good win. Let’s get another!

28. Numenius says:

Well that game wasn’t hard on the eyes. Wow.

29. wheatnoil says:

SAN JOSE
    ANAHEIM
    TAMPA BAY
    ST. LOUIS
    PITTSBURGH
    CHICAGO

What’s the over / under on wins?

Well I’m going to take a shot in the dark here and say they’re going lose against that Edmonton team. That team has really turned it around lately! ;)

30. Nuckout says:

I think its a good omen for Bryz to watch that happen tonight. Im sure the Wells fargo center is loud, but not 7-0 loud like Rexall. If he wasn’t already stoked to be back in the bigs, he is now.

And Hall no points? he scored the last goal, no?

31. justDOit says:

wheatnoil,

That’s the exact reason that I thought they’d win that one. Strange.

Doobie .945 in the last 4 games.

I know CBJ wasn’t good, but the D made a lot of quality first passes. Weren’t under pressure too much.

J.Shultz makes a lot of nice passes and skates like he’s floating.

Didn’t miss the mayhem that is Larsen.

I’d like to see:

Erhoff-Petry
    Ference-J.Shultz
    Belov-Potter/N.Shultz

33. RexLibris says:

Nuckout,

It also sets the bar.

Woodguy:
    After watching both Eakins press avails, it seems like Stauffer is pushing him on the forecheck on puck presser both times.

Bob sets it up as “Now that you have more confidence in your goalie, will you increase the puck pressure”

Eakins basically says” Yes”

If that’s the case I expect a much speedier and high temp Oiler team.

I bet they score 4 or more if they actually do that tonight.

I hope they do.

Yay they did!

Hope they keep it up.

35. Kitchener says:

stevezie,

Interesting about the D. I’m not sure of the specifics either. I suspect its a shitty idea in general, but I liked RK’s mention of specialists and keep wondering how far that can go. Can it go as far as the NFL’s punter/kicker positions? (G Money: I agree with some of your NFL thoughts, but 1 out of 10 downs or so special teams come on field which completely break the pattern.)

Maybe I’d advocate 9 F, 1 fighter, 8 D, and the goalies. A Petrell could be one of the “bottom 4 D.” Imagine dressing a top 9 F group, SMac, a top 4 D group, 2 goalies, and 4 extra defensive defensemen to form the “PK Squad” and eat up whatever minutes the top 4 D can’t handle.

Yes, the whole organization (farm team, draft, etc.) would need to match the formula. It would be an organizational commitment, like when an NFL team commits to a 3-4 or 4-3 defensive line, which takes years to unravel and you don’t change on a whim.

G Money: I agree that 6 players limits the options. Basketball sure doesn’t have an I-formation or a field goal team.

Regardless, after a game where Gazdic/Acton/Joensuu had a “good game”, this theory won’t have much traction tonight! It’s just fun to think of alternate ways to use the roster and wish some basement team like Buffalo would give it a try for awhile. It might change the sport.

36. lance says:

wheatnoil: Well I’m going to take a shot in the dark here and say they’re going lose against that Edmonton team. That team has really turned it around lately!

So you’re suggesting the over/under at 1?

I fear you may be better at predicting than I am at editing.

37. hunter1909 says:

I admit cheering for a CBJ goal at the end.

Who’s the next patsy?

38. Andy P says:

Where is Godot tonight?

39. hunter1909 says:

Hall was probably the worst Oiler tonight. Looked embarrassed to score. The team won, so get with the program Hallsy. LOL

Perron reminds me of Gagner which is great as two on a team are better than one.

Everyone bought in. Amazing.

Also, Yakupov + Hemsky guarantee danger for the opposition in spades. They’re the best crazy scoring duo I’ve seen since Messier/Anderson. Eakins can use Gagner, RNH etc, since either can play hockey.

40. Nuckout says:

Is there a youtube link for the postgame?

Andy P:
    Where is Godot tonight?

said Vladimir and Estragon…..

42. hunter1909 says:

Eakins saved his job tonight.

43. OilBuzz says:

Nuckout:
    Is there a youtube link for the postgame?

Just subscribe to OilersonDemand on youtube

44. VanOil says:

hunter1909:

Everyone bought in. Amazing.

Also,Yakupov + Hemsky guarantee danger for the opposition in spades. They’re the best crazy scoring duo I’ve seen since Messier/Anderson. Eakins can use Gagner, RNH etc, since either can play hockey.

This is the most disturbing thing you have written all year. It fills me with endless dread. Please bring the old Hunter back.

45. Nuckout says:

OilBuzz: Just subscribe to OilersonDemand on youtube

Thanks!

46. Logan91 says:

So much positivity in here tonight :)

47. Genjutsu says:

Lowetide: said Vladimir and Estragon…..

You had to do that eh?

. . . couldn’t wait? ;)

48. Genjutsu says:

Logan91:
    So much positivity in here tonight

7-nada ‘cuz

49. dangilitis says:

karma’s a bitch – Yak city takes match 1 over Mur-man

And if you don’t believe it, Canadiens win 6-2 tonight. Eller manages 0 pts and is a -1.
    Since he made those comments about the Oilers (at that point, 8 pts in 8 games, +5), he has played 14 games, 5 pts, -3.

And since Ferraro made his comments about Yak, 0 NHL points…

50. David says:

51. hockeyguy10 says:

great interview with Orr by Bob Costas on Sportsnet called Knockout Files

52. stevezie says:

bookje:
    This team lost their confidence after losing a string of bad games to aweful goaltending.The biggest lie that kept getting repeated early on was that ‘mistakes’ cost them.Nope, a lot of those mistakes are going to happen, but if your goalie is playing .855 hockey, more of them result in goals.Of course, the team needed to improve as well, but it was devastating because of the goaltending.

When the goaltending returned, the confidence was not back, the team and coach were having some challenges, and Yak.

After playing a crappy team the other day and winning in the third, they are doing it again, only better.I hope this hits the reset button for them and they go onto great things.

This guy… this guy Bookje, he knows the score.

53. Andy P says:

Great signs that this team may be settling in to the team they should be, right on track for that 30 game estimate by Bob Stauffer a while back. Sooner than 30 would also be nice, but it’s consistency we need now. No more stinkers please!

54. DeadmanWaking says:

VanOil:

hunter1909: Gadzik was stellar again; finally a willing enforcer with enough skill in both ends – his outlet pass in front of Dubnyk was incredible, and he did other good things on the ice beside fighting.

Gadzooks!

Really, you want the old Hunter back who stands in the blue paint for the entire game thread wielding the same old predictable blue paintbrush?

I say: Good one, Hunter. Bounce a few in off the back of the goalie’s head from a crazy angle, like that shifty Frenchman.

I might add that “endless dread” is a quite the accolade around these parts, an ante not easily upped. Until four periods ago, the House of Usher on the barren outskirts of the extreme frontier settlement Machine (from Jarmusch’s Dead Man) would have been greeted as the Cinderella Castle of Liechtenstein celebrating an exceptional vintage of Pinot Grand Fenwick in the International Year of Peace.

Somehow we must have passed through.

About Dead Man. I was frustrated the first time I watched it. I was haunted and frustrated the second time I viewed it–this is not elegant variation, I really did approach it differently the second time–and I suspect a third adjective will adhere when I view this movie for the second or third time (depending on how you choose to keep score).

Ebert bailed on the play in his review of this movie. I wonder if he might have changed his mind. Anyways, Ebert passed through, so that conversation potentially awaits me, but not on this side.

For some reason, one I don’t understand in the least, I’d rather rewatch Dead Man than Barton Fink or Dead Again–all of which strike a similarly solemn pall–yet Ebert loved both Fink and Again and I’m normally of a similar sentiment.

Perplexingly, the same critic who gushed over Tree of Life and Synecdoche, New York bailed on making sense of Dead Man.

If you woke Woody Allen up from cryogenic storage–as himself–in the year 2100–after missing everything since 1973–and screened these three movies (it’s a vaguely sadistic society as foretold by Terry Gilliam) and then asked him which of these of these three films the great popular critic of the 20′th century found inscrutable, I wouldn’t want to have to bet my life on which one he selects.

I’d be like Vizzini trying to puzzle this one out. “Before or after we tell Woody what we’ve subsequently learned about the health consequences of carrot juice?”

Maybe Hunter can become our cryptic Indian Nobody who spouts Poe instead of Blake. I’m a great believer in human potential.

55. bookje says:

stevezie: Right? Right? The whole time I was swearing that, I was saying, “These guys aren’t great, but they’re not that bad! They’re not!”

This guy… this guy Bookje, he knows the score.

I have run the Gambit from Gotdot pessimism, to D.S.F.’s bitterness, to (damn, who’s our optimist that was saying everything would be great?) throughout this season. I tend towards optimism, but this team made it difficult.

56. stevezie says:

DeadmanWaking:

Synecdoche was one of the nakedest emperors I have ever seen. Or maybe it just wasn’t for me. All I know is this: I spent a lot of time in darkened theatres, living-rooms and bedrooms, and only once have I ever turned a movie off with ten minutes left. To paraphrase Siskel, the last ten minutes could have been the missing footage from Orson Welles’ ‘The Magnificent Ambersons,’ this movie still would have sucked.
    To steal directly from McCarth by way of Coen, “Well all the time ya spend trying to get back what’s been took from ya, more is going out the door. After a while you just have to try to get a tourniquet on it.”

57. Prince Rupert's Oildrop says:

David: Yakupov knows how the three stars should be done. The crowd loved it. Favourite Oiler.

What did he do?? Missed it.

58. wintoon says:

Appears to be special chemistry between Yakupov and Hemsky. Could it be that after all these years we have finally found someone to play with/off Hemsky? Also, watching the contribution made by Gagner tonight – well – there wasn’t one. This guy should be in the press box and Arcobello replacing him.

Andy P:
    Where is Godot tonight?

I may have posted more on this game day thread, and more during the game than on any game day thread this year (two, I think).

I had zero posts during the Calgary game. Zero during a game has been normal for me this year.

60. David says:

Prince Rupert’s Oildrop: What did he do??Missed it.

He came out of the tunnel with speed, went to the far side to toss a toque over the glass but then rather then returning, he circled around a couple times waving his arms and stick up and down. The crowd was roaring and he was loving it.

61. Henry says:

DeadmanWaking,

Maybe he’d be in the canoe deciding which of Lowe or MacT were to blame?

62. russ99 says:

Jeez. we all really needed that one. Been a really long season so far.

Went to sleep with 5 minutes left in the third, dreaming dreams of a second Oiler dynasty.

« Older Comments