In the first 20 games of this season, the Edmonton Oilers went 4-14-2. Since then, they are 3-1 so far in their second 20 game stanza. For the sake of our sanity, I think 20 game screenshots are going to be key.
The Oilers Corsi For % (5×5, this is from Extra Skater) is 46.3, last season it was 45.1. That’s a mild improvement, but if you’ve been following this it’s easy to remember a time earlier in the year when that number was in the ditch. The Oilers are crawling from the suckage, and it feels good.
I know this team has been playing the sisters of the poor, but you play the teams in the order the schedule maker demands you. Ladies, this humble winning streak could be the high times of 2013-14—drink deep!
The blue was handled in an interesting way last night. If we can agree that time-on-ice is the best tell of all (and that even-strength time on ice is the best of the best tells) then last night’s totals are frank:
- Anton Belov 18:14
- Justin Schultz 17:10
- Jeff Petry 16:35
- Andrew Ference 15:31
- Corey Potter 13:39
- Nick Schultz 13:20
It’s the Schultz, it’s the Petry, it’s the Belov and it’s the Ference. That foursome is the group Dallas Eakins likes, and Smid, Schultz the elder and Potter are (at this point) either traded or have one skate out of town. I expect we’ll see a callup of Marincin or Klefbom (or Fedun or Davidson) at the trade deadline, and we’ll see Belov, J Schultz and Petry signed in summer. Coach approved.
THE LAST 10
This is starting to resemble reasonable. If you take these 10 games and multiply by eight then most of these boxcars are in the range (and some are better). The beauty of this team? One guy slumps, there’s about 5 guys capable of picking him up. Oh, by the way: in the last 10 games, Dubnyk is 4-5-0 and has a save-percentage of .913.
- Taylor Hall 2.43
- Mark Arcobello 2.25
- Jordan Eberle 2.25
- David Perron 2.12
- Ryan Smyth 1.80
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1.69
- Will Acton 1.63
- Ryan Jones 1.62
- Boyd Gordon 1.33
- Ben Eager 1.19
- Sam Gagner 1.09
- Ales Hemsky 1.08
- Luke Gazdic 1.04
- Nail Yakupov 0.85
- Jesse Joensuu 0.00
When the Russian rockets, this team is going to wheel.
Laurent Brossoit was brilliant last night and the Barons offense kicked out the jams in an impressive and fight-filled contest against the Cleveland Spiders. Curtis Hamilton played his first game of the year, Travis Ewanyk scored twice and Anton Lander scored two goals in a row. They play again tonight. (photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved).
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
This morning at 10, the Lowdown with Lowetide hits the airwaves on TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:
- Steve Lansky from Big Mouth Sports. He was directly involved in the broadcast of the greatest Grey Cup in history, so yeah that might come up during our chat.
- Kent Simpson from Oil Kings broadcasts. Kent will discuss the OK season, the progress of Moroz, Lazar and Samuelsson and young Aaron Irving’s progress.
- Jock Climie, tsn. We’ll talk about the importance of Canadians in the Grey Cup game, and about the tsn broadcast.
- Jeff Chapman, Copper and Blue. We’ll giggle like idiots about last night’s game and worry tomorrow.
- Andreas Morse, FC Edmonton. The Eddies are making some very interesting off-season moves.
- Jungle Jim Hunter, Sportcology. Jungle will talk about the impact of the elements on big sporting events.
10-1260 via text, @Lowetide on twitter. See ya on the radio!!!