Last night the Oilers scored 7 and the party arrived at Rexall for the first time this season. A devastating start—a start fans will remember forever—has eased like a warm day after weeks and weeks of bitter winter. Two wins in a row isn’t much most seasons, but this year? MUSIC!
FIVE GREAT THINGS ABOUT THESE OILERS
- Gordon-Smyth-Perron. Veterans. Sweet, stinky, smelly, ugly, broken faced veterans. Can we have four more?
- Gagner-Yakupov-Hemsky. They’re starting to feel it. Yakupov, oh my God. Hide your, whatever.
- Nuge-Hall-Eberle. They were the third line last night. Hoochie Mama!
- Devan Dubnyk. He climbed through something resembling the sewers of Shawshank this fall, and is finding redemption. Good job, big man.
- The powerplay. Thanks!
THIS COULD TALK AWHILE
I know it’s only Columbus, but the schedule gives you good times and bad, with a couple of precious soft weeks all year. This is one of them, we should enjoy Florida up next before heading back into Death Valley.
THE STANDINGS (LOOK AWAY, IT’S HIDEOUS!)
Oilers are still miles from last year’s 24th overall, but small victories are big steps. The forwards seem to be rolling better now, Dubnyk’s .908 in the last 10 games and .892 overall. They’re calling from the wreckage, but it’s going to take some time.
SCORING, LAST 10 GAMES
The last 10 games sees some nice offensive numbers from the usual suspects, and you can also see some valuable guys missed time (Hall, Perron) during the walk through the valley of tears. Phil Larsen may be the most chaotic defenseman since the Bergeron.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
After a big win, there’s plenty of good to talk about and much jocularity. Scheduled to appear:
- Rob Vollman from ESPN, Hockey Prospectus and Bleacher Report. We’ll talk about the best free agent signings, and how much a coach can impact things like shot differential.
- Dan Auchenberg, Vimy Instructor and Head Coach for Maple Leaf Athletic Club. Our latest ‘Ask the Coach’ feature, feel free to send questions.
- Alan Hull, Copper and Blue. Big win for the Oilers, but what’s next?
- Neal Livingston, Tend the Farm. Barons—who are they?
- Adam Hull, Alberta Alpine Ski Association.
10-1260 texts, @Lowetide_ on twitter. Hope you can tune in!