HOW MANY BARONS HAVE A CHANCE?

When I was a kid, I would read through the Hockey News about this time of year to see who was really lighting it up in junior and the minor leagues. The Bruins would always have a Gregg Sheppard or a Daniel Bouchard to get excited about, and the Habs, hell those Habs AHL teams in Halifax could have made the playoffs every damn year and that’s for sure. If you look at one of those old seasons, it’s easy to see the successes now, but back then, before people used their brains for more than a hat rack, we just read the damn paper and waited for the cream to rise to the crop. (Barons photos by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved).

THE 1971-72 NOVA SCOTIA VOYAGEURS (regulars)

• 21 and under: Larry Robinson (1384 games); Yvon Lambert (683); Chuck Lefley (407); Chuck Arnason (401); Murray Wilson (386); Randy Rota (212).
  • 22 to 24: Bob Murdoch (757); Rey Comeau (564); Michel Plasse (298); Germain Gagnon (259); Wayne Thomas (243)
  • 25+: Germain Gagnon (259)

Would you look at that? All the kids who were regulars that season (or so) and ended up being NHLers (some just for a couple of years, others HHOFers), and they were all doing great things in the minors 24 or earlier (Gagnon caught on late, complete outlier).

marincin ferguson2

THE 2013-14 OKLAHOMA CITY BARONS (regulars)

• 21 and under: Oscar Klefbom, Kale Kessy, Travis Ewanyk, Martin Marincin, Tyler Pitlick, Martin Gernat, David Musil, Laurent Brossoit
  • 22 to 24: Anton Lander, Roman Horak, Brandon Davidson, Andrew Miller
  • 25+: Taylor Fedun, Linus Omark

I’m not suggesting there’s a Larry Robinson in there (or even a Bob Murdoch), but there’s a very good chance that the 21 and under group will give the Oilers more good hockey players than the second group; and we can be absolutely certain that the 21 and under will give them more NHL players than the 25+ group.

• robinson5Larry Robinson (20) 74, 10-14-24
  • Larry Robinson (21) 38, 6-33-39

Now that’s progress in a season and a half of AHL action. Robinson would have been in the minors for 18 months in only one system, and that was the Canadiens of that era. I remember when he came up to the NHL, Robinson was a splendid young defenseman who had a brilliant mentor in veteran Serge Savard. Robinson was the 5th defenseman selected in 1971, the odds of his success were pretty good, although betting on the career he had would have been folly on draft day.

BARONS WHO’LL MAKE IT! (400 NHL games)

I’ll bet on Klefbom and Marincin. That’s two defensemen, not a goalie nor a forward but this Barons team is heavy on blue and light on every other color. Your picks? How many of the current Barons prospects do you think will play more than 400 NHL games?

ARCOBELLO

arcobello ferguson 1

A few comments about Mark Arcobello in the Top 20 series, a lot of folks would have had him earlier in the ranking. I understand that, Arcobello is having a very good rookie season and he’s already beaten the odds. However, like the ‘reasonable expectations’ series, the idea here is to place these players in a logical order based on several things we know we know.

One of the things we know is that it is rare (as shown above) for 25+ minor leaguers to emerge as NHL regulars for a long period of time. Rare rare rare. And it’s especially rare that it happens during an era without expansion (new teams often borrow talent that is established in the minor leagues and knocking on the door).

Mark Arcobello’s progress has been exceptional, and this season outstanding so far. It’s 20 NHL games and he’s 25. He’ll be along shortly in the series.

RUSTY

RUSTY

Rusty Klesla is on waivers this morning, he’ll clear or get plucked at around 10 Edmonton time this morning. A lot of smart people believe the Oilers should stay away and that’s probably the right call, but for me bringing in a veteran who might have value at the deadline makes a lot of sense. The Oilers clearly feel that the kids on the farm need more time, so if that’s the case you’re taking Klesla to replace Corey Potter—or Grebs or Larsen—and Klesla probably has more value as a trade asset at the deadline (in my opinion).

Klesla is no screaming hell, mind you. OEL doesn’t look good down there CorsiON but he’s playing the toughs and Klesla is playing the sisters of the poor but is closer to a blue bubble:

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

klesla sledgehammer

He’s playing middling competition and his zone start isn’t severe, plus Klesla’s salary (close to $3M) isn’t too dear. I’ll be very interested to see if a team picks him up, and to see if that team is Edmonton.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

adamsgif

Today on the show, a wide variety of chatter on all things Oil, Canucks and others. 10, TSN 1260, scheduled to appear:

• Michael Parkatti, Boys on the Bus. We’ll talk about this Oiler team and what they’re missing, the value of that first round pick and his brilliant shot quality metric.
  • Sean Bissell, Campus Director of Donnan Hockey. We’ll have our ask the coach feature and focus on the best way to develop younger players.
  • Harrison Mooney, Puck Daddy and Pass it to Bulis. Mooney’s becoming a pop icon on the left coast, with music and mirth his calling card. We’ll talk Canucks (I’m not hating them like I used to, it’s a concern), who can score for the team, and I’ll ask if they are a  playoff team.
  • Jeff Krushell, Krush Performance. This new lawsuit by some old timey hockey players like Curt Bennett is likely to be a big story for some time.  I wonder if there’s a smoking gun from way back when, because I lived through that era and don’t recall anyone talking about concussions beyond ‘got yer bell rung’.

10-1260 via text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. See you on the radio!

35 Responses to "HOW MANY BARONS HAVE A CHANCE?"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hmm… interesting game. I’ll try. Assuming lack of serious injury derailment and including NHL games already played:

>400 NHL Games

Horak (164)
    Davidson (114)

<100 NHL Games
    Brossoit (44)
    Ewanyk (23)

————-
    Looks like tonight's game is going to be viewable to us dedicatees:

2. nycoil says:

Horak (164)
    Davidson (114)

<100 NHL Games
    Brossoit (44)
    Ewanyk (23)

————-
    Looks like tonight’s game is going to be viewable to us dedicatees:

3. Thinker says:

I think marincin, gernat and klefbom all have a chance. I would love to see a twin towers pairing featuring the two slovaks. I also have a feeling on davidson, but who knows. Horak and Lander should gets some games soon, but the organization seems more than willing to draft players with third line upside, but then box them in by picking up cheap ahlers ala acton. Lander should get the rest of this season to adjust, then start 4line next year. BUT OILERS.

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

nycoil: Thank you for the link. I take it you’re an optimist? That’s assuming a lot of players play the equivalent of 2 full seasons’ worth in the NHL. If you had to call it, which players would see most of those games with the Oilers, and which move on elsewhere to do it (a la Colin McDonald)?

I could be an optimist. But let me flesh out the caveats a bit more.

First, no serious injuries. I think that is a big one. Take that caveat away and all bets are off, so I’ve given all the players on here a huge boost already.

Second, a couple of these players have already racked up a number of GPs (Lander and Horak). I basically have both of them hanging on for a couple of more years in the league (I’m more bullish on Lander), before leaving for Europe. That could happen as soon as next year (both don’t have a contract for next year).

Third, I didn’t really consider whether they play for the Oilers or not, but I did take into account contract status. For example, Pitlick, Hamilton and Martindale are all up this year.

IMO Hamilton and Martindale are cut loose barring a really strong finish to the season (highly unlikely). But, mgt. and coaches all seem to love Pitlick. That earns him another 2-way contract and barring injury I think he gets a number of NHL games in before falling away.

Ewanyk probably gets a couple random call ups over his ELC, I probably have him too high, but C VDV played 28 NHL games and Ryan O’Marra played 33. So… I think it’s about right.

Musil and Davidson still have time on their ELCs and I think that gives them the development time in the AHL and the call-up time in the NHL to establish enough that they can play back and forth (A to N) for a few years at least.

Fedun has shown enough to earn another 2-way (here or elsewhere) and I think he finds his way onto a sputtering NHL team for a couple seasons (we could be that team).

I think Gernat, Marincin and Klefbom all make the show and all have good pro careers. I think I might be too conservative on Gernat and Marincin… but I’m probably optimistic… I really don’t know. But they are the gems IMO of the list.

5. Bruce McCurdy says:

Klesla has some interesting underliers. He’s over 50% in CF%, FF%, & SF%, & above team average in all 3. That’s lining up with the likes of Moss, Korpikoski & Klinkhammer, and pairing with Schlemko. 3rd line, 3rd pairing, but decent results, mind you with Tippett’s Coyotes. He’s a player, but is pricey at this stage, & would cause issues with cap & roster limit. Still, one of the more tempting names to hit the waiver wire in quite some time.

6. Hammers says:

We should all agree on Klefbom & Marincin but there are adds to that but maybe not as Oilers. Add Pitlick , Gernat & Lander probably with other teams . I would still have Lander up right now & Acton down as I think there is more long term upside with Lander and I don’t think Acton would get picked up .Brossoit & Musil need another 2 years of seasoning before a decision can be made either way . Obviously Nurse to come . The BIG question is how does McT utilize what he has . Sometimes you get more for a player on the cusp than one who has 3-4 years in the AHL . Hard to decide I’m sure .As for Arco I don’t understand why his not playing right now Better at FO than Gags & RNH plus he seems to play a 200′ game . Can play with good wingers . Personally I would like to see RNH , Hall & Gags on RW . Put Arco with Ebs & Perron or Yak leaving Gordon , Hemsky Yak or Perron . So far Arco is my disappointment with Eakins .

7. gcw_rocks says:

Because this is the Oilers, and we know they will find a way to screw this up, I would guess Klefbom only barring injury. Maybe Marincin has a shot, but I would be more optimistic if this was any other team.

Looking into the hawks line up really hit home for me how bad the Oilers are a selecting/developing players outside the first round.

The Blackhawks have 8 players on their NHL roster drafted by them in the second round of later. Five of those were second round draft picks and all are playing important minutes. Two of those second round picks were drafted in 2009 or later.

The Oilers have one second around pick playing and none since him in 2006. By comparison, that’s pathetic. So, I have very little faith the Oilers will be developing 400 game players out of that list. They either don’t know how or they don’t care.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Take 2 or 3 scrubs out of the 50 man roster (say Abney, SMac and Eager)… do they pick him up then?

9. LMHF#1 says:

Klesla cleared waivers. Is there something wrong with him that people aren’t sharing? With the silly value of depth defencemen at the deadline, you’d think he’d be worth something to someone.

10. fifthcartel says:

11. I’ve always wondered how close Edmonton came to getting Ben Bishop, currently standing tall in Tampa Bay’s goal. The Lightning got him from the Senators for Cory Conacher and a fourth-round pick. From what I understand, the Oilers offered a second-rounder, a third-rounder and Ryan Jones. The issue? That second-rounder was Anaheim’s, which turned out to be 56th overall and Ottawa wanted Edmonton’s original spot, which was 37th. It sounds like the deal fell apart when the Albertans wouldn’t do it.

From Friedman.

So we didn’t get Bishop cause Tambo wouldn’t give up our 2nd, which MacT traded down from anyways..

11. spoiler says:

LT said:

I don’t think we have ever seen the logic behind the prospect order, unlike the RE series. Or a list of what the several things we know might be.

You seem to imply that an estimate of how many games a prospect might play in the NHL has some role in this ranking, and then in other places you state that closeness to the NHL is not a factor. The list is presently inscrutable, IMHO.

But given that offense and a wide range of skills and an established level of ability all seem to have some influence on your rankings, I would have Arco ahead of Khaira, Chase and Moroz as he beats on all three factors..

12. TheOtherJohn says:

I believe that Klefbom, subject to inhuries, will have a very long and productive NHL career. Marincin will play 250+ games in the show. Thereafter, I suspect that very few if any players reach 200+ Gp, and that includes Anton Lander’s 68 gp in the NHL to date.

Have always been fascinated with Oiler fans projecting all of the marvellous prospects early, ie before they have yet played against men in the AHL/ECHL. They then show up in the AHL and struggle (mightily) and we get into debates about measuring a draft at draft+3, draft+5, draft +7.

Today (and that may clearly change) the only young guys in OKC on track for the NHL are Kelfbom and Marincin

13. Gerta Rauss says:

LMHF#1:

Klesla would have to clear waivers again if a team wanted to trade him prior to the deadline(assuming that team had plucked him off waivers)

I might contact Phoenix and see if they want Ryan Jones in exchange for Klesla-it pushes out a contract (and dollars) and we’d be free to trade him at the deadline if we wanted to.

14. Caramel Obvious says:

fifthcartel:

From Friedman.

If this true that is absolutely horrific. Tambellini is the worst.

spoiler:
    LT said:

I don’t thinkwe have ever seen the logic behind the prospect order, unlike the RE series.Or a list of what the several things we know might be.

16. nelson88 says:

400+ Games: Lander and Marincin

Klefbom will play in the NHL but is over rated and; unfortunately, will sustain too many injuries to make that threshold.

17. icecastles says:

Caramel Obvious: If this true that is absolutely horrific. Tambellini is the worst.

As much as we ripped on Dithers here, hindsight and perspective suggests that we were actually too kind when he was GM. We will be feeling the sting of his inaction and poor decisions for a few years yet.

18. nelson88 says:

fifthcartel,

Interesting. Both the Oilers and Senators would probably like a do over. Conacher may still turn into something but is no screaming hell since he went to Ottawa and the Oiler picks certainly would have been better.

19. DeadmanWaking says:

Interesting that the high point of The Friendly Giant was the opening pan and welcoming monologue. Could have run this photo in the previous thread. Even as a five-year-old, what followed often failed to hold my interest. Probably some summer church camp had already permanently scarred me concerning all things arts & crafts.

That played out on a giant black and white tube television. It was always in need of repairs until a smaller colour TV kicked it downstairs into the play room. Then it went another fifteen years with never a glitch. Took about two minutes to warm up. There would be an inch of ionized fuzz on the front of the screen after watching a half hour show, due to the emission of low energy x-rays. Maybe I shouldn’t have sat so close.

As a matter of interest household dust attracted to CRT screens has been found to be slightly radioactive. The theory is this is caused by naturally occurring and short-lived radon gas particles in the atmosphere. As they break down the resultant decay products attach themselves to positively charged dust particles, which are attracted to the screen’s negatively charged surface.

Unfortunately, the only way I could watch half of what I wanted to watch was to sit two feet away, with the volume so low my mother couldn’t hear it. This had to be well planned, because you couldn’t just turn it off and play dumb–that bright glowing dot in the center of the screen gave you away. That dot lasted forever after the TV was switched off. My mother didn’t like hockey (too noisy), she didn’t like Star Trek (too horn-dog–not that she ever spelled this out), she didn’t like Charlie’s Angels (bad theology).

She did like Rockford Files and Quincy, M.E.. We could watch those upstairs. I think she also liked Hart to Hart. My recollection on that point is a bit fuzzy now, I was so gone from the room. It wasn’t the actors, it was the plot. I liked It Takes a Thief where they broke into the same warehouse on the lot at Universal Studios week after week.

Somehow I made it all the way through adolescence without discovering that Kirk had a thing for green women. It was jolt to me to finally discover the show had originally been filmed in colour. Of all the episodes on Star Trek, I was most afraid of my mother catching me in the act of watching Mirror, Mirror. What with Spock’s beard and all that writhing in the plexiglas Agony Booth, she would have had me by the ear; also Naked Time with the swashbuckling shirtless Sulu had my eyes on a swivel. The actor–this was before I bothered to learn their names–was clearly enjoying the exposure waaay too much. Beyond that, I didn’t have the foggiest–not even a single copy of Mad Magazine to help me over the adolescent hurdle. Operation “no allowance” was paying major dividends in those years. I was way too bookish to fight back by bagging groceries or schlepping useless wads of fish wrap.

This was followed up by “operation make up for lost time” just as quickly as I could win a small scholarship to leave the province. If my parents had understood the chess game as well as I did, they would have done things differently. Kirk wasn’t chasing green women because he grew up watching Star Trek–that program sprung from within. Concerning this eventuality, my mother had no plan at all, or rather, her plan ended at the baptism bowl. Maybe if my father had dunked me another 99 times–he was a minister in those days–it might have taken hold. As far back as I can remember I instinctively recoiled from anything that could potentially serve as the answer to any question without ever making you the least bit smarter. Even as a five-year-old watching The Friendly Giant, this stalk was greening.

For me it was a battle between being right (instant gratification) and being smart (eternal gratification). Obviously, that decision was for me a no-brainer. Being smart merely in order to be right–and loud about it–turns your face into a fleshy fist magnet. Clearly mother nature wants it this way. That also springs from within.

I never wanted that. There are other ways to be smart. This gets into a long digression about whether shit flows down hill, which seems obvious on the surface, yet surprisingly often it transpires that the grass roots are attached to muscular cilia. Smart, for me, is about noticing the counter-flow. Propaganda is a two-way street, which is why a rush to judgement on draft day often smells bad.

I realized last night that I’m happiest over the keyboard when I’m painting a clown on roller stilts. The trick is to get the two skates into different orbits with verbal tricks so that the clown at first seems to go in one direction, then just as quickly another, until he’s the jerk of all tirades and a disaster of rum.

20. Logan91 says:

LMHF#1:

From what I understand he’s become slow, and he isn’t as physical anymore.

Add that with the young skilled D that Phoenix has and he just becomes the odd man out.

21. russ99 says:

Kleska is also injury prone. He’s only 31 and the physical punishment he’s taken in his 14 NHL seasons seems to be taking its toll.

One thing that stands out when talking about OKC, that Kale Kessy trade is looking worse and worse every day.

Reider is a point-a-game player so far for Portland, 6 goals in 8 games.

One thing I’d love to see from MacT this year is to put a stop to the minor/junior Lucic hunt and draft/acquire pre-NHL BPA, and look to add that kind of physical, defensive-oriented player(s) to the NHL roster.

22. Caramel Obvious says:

russ99:

Reider is a point-a-game player so far for Portland, 6 goals in 8 games.

Why has Reider only played eight games? Even so, tt just keeps getting better. Players who score a pt/game when they are 20 in the AHL are almost guaranteed to score in the NHL.

That said, I’m betting this is shooting percentage driven. [goes to look it up] Yes, six goals on 19 shots. Still, hard to complain about this debut. Obviously better than someone useless like Kessy.

23. nycoil says:

I wonder how much of an influence Tambellini had on our scouting choices as well vs. the rest of the organization. Reaching for Abney, Hesketh, a little bit for Moroz, etc.
    I know we need time to judge these things, and having followed LT’s blog for years and years now, I get the arguments and pitfalls and caveats of judging a draft after the fact. Hartikainen being a great 6th round pick, for example, who more than covered the bet. Still, I can’t help but feel like there’s been a little bit of a lost opportunity the past 4 years in terms of players beyond the 1st round actually contributing to the Oilers on a sustained basis. Cherry-picking examples doesn’t serve anyone and is small sample sizing to a great degree, but I just wish we’d found one or two Brandon Saads or a Marcus Krugers or Carl Hagelins along the way. Still holding out some hope for a couple of Lander, Chase, Khaira, Moroz, et al to turn into one,…

24. Yeti says:

Caramel Obvious: Obviously better than someone useless like Kessy.

25. Caramel Obvious says:

Yeti: I think you’re being a little harsh there. Kale Kessy might turn out to be the next Mitch Moroz who might turn out to be the next JF Jacques who might turn out to be the next Brad Winchester who single-handedly saw off Detroit in the second game of a legendary series. History beckons.

I laughed.

26. jake70 says:

Friendly Giant to Oilers on where the playoff spots are: Look Up, look waaaay up.

27. Lois Lowe says:

DMW, brilliant piece today.

28. Marc says:

Gerta Rauss:

Kevin Prendergast hired by the Buffalo Sabres

Because there’s nothing a shitty team needs more than a proven inability to spot talent.

29. icecastles says:

Gerta Rauss: Kevin Prendergast hired by the Buffalo Sabres

Teams like Buffalo routinely make me feel better about cheering for teams like the Oilers.

Edit: Does this mean everyone Buffalo drafts from here on out will be likened to Gretzky?

30. Gerta Rauss says:

icecastles , Marc,

Ha!!….I posted that link because I thought it would resonate with our host.

I’m just patiently waiting for Buffalo to hire a GM so they can trade us Ehrhoff..:)

Pat LaFontaine is a lot smarter than Craig MacTavish.

LaFontaine is bringing in outside voices. Nolan to coach. Prendergast to challenge the opinions of the existing scouting staff, and to get an outside opinion of the Sabres’ recent drafting. Supposedly, he’s consulted with Cam Neely about how the Boston management operation functions.

MacT. Brings back Howson. All the same old professional scouting staff. And Bucky is still here.

Prendergast may have only been an average scout, but he is available now, and up to speed on recent past draft and current junior players because of his previous position with Hockey Canada. A good brain for LaFontaine to pick for information for confirmation or non-confirmation of what others within the organization in scouting are telling him.

So I would be careful about laughing at LaFontaine.

32. spoiler says:

Lowetide: There’s zero weight given to closeness to the NHL, but a major item is age. Arcobello’s age is a major item in comparing him to someone like Khaira or Chase and future games played.

That still doesn’t really make sense to me… Age give us some established level of ability. Age also gives time to those without the size, strength and reach that organizations crave the time to prove that they can play well despite their physical limitations. They’re not getting the automatic mug of Major League Joe.

If we’re looking for age equivalents, Arcobello in his 18yo frosh season at Old Eli significantly out-scored Khaira on a PPG basis in his frosh season at Tech, despite his physical limitations. He’s done nothing but track with up arrows pretty much every year since. And he’s already got a lead on games played and is likely to extend it, season after season after season, somewhere.

That should make him one of the top prospects in the system right there… So what is the ranking then? What does it mean when we say “Top Prospect”?

33. OilLeak says:

Watching the OKC Baron/Texas Stars game, there is only one line that really does anything. The line with Omark and Lander, all the other forwards are useless offensively.