INCOMING!

There’s quite a bit of sticker shock for Oiler fans tonight, the cost of the goalie solution (short and long) was greater than thought, and the names are neither sexy or stable. It is a decidedly ‘unusual’ night. Let’s have a look at the players acquired:

ILYA BRYZGALOV

EVEN STRENGTH SAVE PERCENTAGE

• 2010-11: .931 (Phoenix)
  • 2011-12: .921 (Philadelphia)
  • 2012-13: .907 (Philadelphia)

Dubnyk trailed in 2010-11 (.921) but took over in 2011-12 (.927) and 2012-13 (.922) and one would think he’ll post a better number this season despite the dreadful start. Bryzgalov is apparently a one-year hire at less than $3M (haven’t seen the number yet, only guesses), and he probably considers this an outstanding opportunity to win back a starting NHL job. The stats suggest he’ll lose the battle, but that’s a nice payday and he’s going to get at-bats.

For the Oilers, it’s a low risk item (if he sucks, he sucks—the Oilers have seen bad goaltending before) and we’ve discussed it as a possibility (here) in the recent past. I’m seeing a lot of anger over the addition, but this pickup is no more risky than the Expos grabbing Dennis Martinez’ off the scrap heap 25 years ago. It probably won’t work, but if he hangs 5 losses on the Oilers is anyone going to be ruined? The Oilers stayed with Dubnyk until the season was lost, now it’s open audition time. We could see three or four more goalies run through here in the next months.

ROMAN HORAK

• NHL career: 82, 5-13-18
  • AHL this year: 13, 2-5-7

horak scoutingIf there’s a guy who we’ll look back on and be surprised about, this is it. I’ve always liked Horak (honestly) and see him as a superior player to most of the depth players employed currently by the NHL team. If he ends up this season as a 4line forward, no one should be surprised. He’s 22, he can take and make a pass (underrated skill and the Oilers need more of them) and has time to develop into a player. We may never hear of him again, but he could end up helping them.

LAURENT BROSSOIT

EVEN STRENGTH SAVE PERCENTAGE

• 2010-11: .887 (WHL)
  • 2011-12: .914 (WHL) (tied for 5th overall)
  • 2012-13: .917 (WHL) (6th overall)

brossoit scoutingI know this player well, he backstopped the Oil Kings to a WHL championship and came close to doing it two years in a row (his post-season sp’s are in the .930′s). I think he’s the best goalie prospect in the system since Dubnyk, and will be very interested to see where he plays this season. I’d also estimate he was a key element (along with cap room) in the Smid deal.

CHET PICKARD

Pickard is a big goalie who plays the butterfly style. Uses his size to cover a lot of net, but could use better quickness. Is tough mentally. – Ulf Andersson, EP 2013

Former first round selection of the Nashville Predators, I like the pickup based on that alone (Preds are goalie whisperers). Had a .918 save percentage with Djugarden of the Swedish Allsvenskan last season.

The Oilers cashed a veteran in Ladislav Smid and the return is mostly unknown to us; it is worth noting that Smid’s availability comes as a direct result of another unknown MacTavish acquisition (Anton Belov) and we should be prepared for more defensive movement as we near the trade deadline.

135 Responses to "INCOMING!"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Who the fuck is Chet Pickard?

2. Ben says:

Still – just seems like so little for a tough, 3-4 D on a decent contract…

3. fifthcartel says:

I wonder what they do with Brossoit. They could send him back to the ECHL where it seems he was off to a great start. This flood of goalies makes things pretty interesting.

4. D says:

Bryz is going to surprise a lot of people (I hope).

5. VanOil says:

Do Oilers run all 4 of Dubie, Bryzie, Barbie and BTO in the NHL and Brossoit, Conklin and Pickard in OKC? Who goes to California and when? I count 7 goalies for 6 North American pro spots. not to mention the 2 guys already in California.

6. RexLibris says:

Pickard was a highly touted goalie prospect a few years back. There was even some chatter about the Oilers taking him.

I missed how he came into the picture.

7. Rebilled says:

I can’t believe Smid went to Calgary. Unbelievable.

8. Clarkenstein says:

Another clusterfuck from the offices of one Mr. K Lowe.

VanOil:

Bachman is on IR, iirc so we’re down to 6 pretty quickly:

NHL: Dubnyk, Bryzgalov
    AHL: LaBarbera, Brossoit
    ECHL: Pickard, Bunz

Tuohimaa in Europe

10. RexLibris says:

Horak can play. He’s a 4th line C/RW, got buried by Hartley and was one of the few Flames who could win a draw.

He was the warm body return in the Erixon trade a few years ago and has been yo-yo’d back and forth between AHL and NHL since.

To try and categorize him? Think of him like Omark, but instead of offensive creativity and scoring potential you get defensive awareness, work ethic and a pretty darn good skater to boot. Lander with wheels?

11. regwald says:

I watched a lot of playoff hockey the past two seasons for the Oil Kings and was hugely impressed with Brossoit. He was their MVP for most of their first playoff run and was recognized as such. Look pretty solid. I think he was ripped off at a chance for the World Jr. goaltending and after it blew up in their face, there was much second guessing.

I like that acquisition because I think he’s a solid prospect. Not happy about Smid leaving, but do like Brossoit.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Bachman is on IR, iirc so we’re down to 6 pretty quickly:

NHL: Dubnyk, Bryzgalov
    AHL: LaBarbera, Brossoit
    ECHL: Pickard, Bunz

Tuohimaa in Europe

Any chance Labarbs gets picked up?

What’s the chance Horak plays for the Oil? or is this your prospect swap (d for f), except the D is Smid?

Where’s my Sail on Smid?

13. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Any chance Labarbs gets picked up?

Was he waived?

14. VanOil says:

Lowetide: Bachman is on IR, iirc so we’re down to 6 pretty quickly:

NHL: Dubnyk, Bryzgalov
    AHL: LaBarbera, Brossoit
    ECHL: Pickard, Bunz

Tuohimaa in Europe

Thank you for clarifying the Czech Absenth I am toasting Smid with is tilting my vision already. Poor boys playing for the goal for the Condors, Andy Chiodo and Paul Karpowich, headed for the Hockey nether regions.

Isn’t Pickards deal an AHL only one? Does this mean he can play in the ECHL?

MacT will have at least one grumpy hung over fan trying to watch the early morning gamer tomorrow.

15. Bank Shot says:

RexLibris:

I don’t see where there is any room for Horak on the Oilers roster .

Hemsky,Eberle, Yakupov, *fighter spot*

RNH, Gagner, Gordon, Daddy’s Boy.

If he hasn’t been able to stay on the Flames roster, he’s probably just tweener.

Crap crap crap.

Romulus Apotheosis: Any chance Labarbs gets picked up?

Where’s my Sail on Smid?

LaBarbera could get picked up, I’d say it’s less than 20%.

Sail On Smid will be up either tomorrow afternoon/evening or Sunday morning.

17. fifthcartel says:

Brossoit goes to the AHL? Hmmm.

I thought he was way older than 20 too. Really hoping he turns out.

And I could see LaBarbera being picked up by Carolina or Nashville with their starting goalies down.

18. gr8one says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Who the fuck is Chet Pickard?

This question.

/Edit

Nevermind.

19. RexLibris says:

I think they might sit Gazdic for Horak eventually. He brings speed, some ability (admittedly not much) and he can play defense. He, Acton and Smyth aren’t the worst 4th line I’ve ever seen.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia: Was he waived?

Not yet. just a matter of time. After Bryz’ conditioning stint in OKC.

—–
    Is Horak waiver eligible?

21. Messier11edm says:

I’m new to this, but have been a long time Oilers fan and after the trade this evening had to register and make my feelings known (not that my feelings really matter, but that’s besides the point)….

The Smid trade was of course all to dump salary so they could sign Bryz and less to do with the two prospects, which I believe is quite obvious. What isn’t so obvious to me is why??? Why make these moves?

Smid is a heart and soul, character player. He sticks up for his teammates, and clears the front of the net (after a whistle mind you) better than anyone else. He’s been one of the leagues best in blocked shots, and has grown to be, IMHO, a solid leader on this team. I loved his frankness after the Wings game and appreciated the fact that he wasn’t tip toeing around the issue and spitting out the usual cliches. Yes, he’s regressed slightly this year, but I still felt that his character and passion made him valuable in many intangible ways.

For this salary dump, they get Bryzgalov…a goalie who has seen his save % decline over the past few years, but even worse, has made a spectacle of himself and has the ability to poison an already vulnerable locker room. Also, where does he fall in the depth chart? Is he the new #1? You gave up a heart and soul guy which was already scarce on your team for a goalie who may be no better than your current #1? What message does this send to Dubnyk? A player who’s confidence is already on shaky ground?? I can’t imagine he’s going to be happy to be a back up.

On top of all this, you make this trade with your provincial rivals??? (Even Gillis wasn’t willing to trade Luongo to Oilers even tho they were overpaying compared to devils) These moves don’t make sense to me. Remember, I’m new to this, so maybe I’m missing something, but I can’t see how this improves anything, in fact I see the following:

1) Dubnyk’s confidence getting hit even more (he’s also not a great trade piece because his stock is so low)

2) Your defence is actually weaker (which I believe was equally disappointing as their goaltending )

3) You potentially poison the locker room and create a further mockery of the team if Bryz goes crazy on the mic

4) You also get other oiler players to take notice and potentially lose trust in mgmt, because if I recall, Smid took a hometown discount.

Anyway, again I’m not super tuned in, so would love to hear feedback on my thoughts, but I just think MacT made some terrible moves this evening. Very disappointed.

22. TeeVee says:

fifthcartel:

One could only hope LaBarbera Bush gets picked up by a Western team. Can’t wait to shoot on him.

Messier11: If you’re a long time fan, you deserve the truth. Here goes:

1. The Oilers look at the Bryz pickup as both “motivation” for Dubnyk and as a possible replacement for him. This deal means all bets are off for #40–he’s applying for a job now.
    2. The Oilers (imo) believe that L-side of Belov, Ference, N Schultz is equal or close to Smid being in there. They may have tried to deal N Schultz earlier but found no takers.
    3. I think the club believes they’ve gotten rid of the troublemakers–whether true I have no idea (this has been chased for a decade, with a new witch every summer)
    4. Playing time cures all. Smid’s exit means more playing time for others. Belov, Larsen, Fedun. When Nick Schultz leaves, my guess is they make room for Klefbom.

the future is now.

24. Genjutsu says:

I think there was no place for Smid on the team anymore. I think you can make the argument that Belov and Ference surpassed him on the left side and there is a good chance that one if not three of the kids will by next season.

I’ll miss his fight but in the end I don’t think you win a championship with him on your team . . . and that’s what this is about right?

25. RexLibris says:

Oh, also: LT never liked Smid.

Fixed.

;)

26. Genjutsu says:

Messier11: If you’re a long time fan, you deserve the truth. Here goes:

the future is now.

damn you beat me to it. I think you’re right on that Shultz becomes moveable at the deadline but that cap is too heavy for now.

Also the Oilers needed to clear two spots on LD with all those kids coming by next fall.

27. Pouzar says:

I hate that an ever improving Belov is a UFA after this season and he just got a bit more expensive.

Pouzar:

They need to sign him soon. Going into the summer with Belov-Petry, Ference-J Schultz and then Larsen, Fedun and Klefbom, Marincin etcetera means the club has room for their #1 stud defender (who ideally is LH).

29. Messier11edm says:

Interesting. appreciate your take. (you would know better than me)….Really liked Smid, and hate the fact I’m gonna have to see him in a Flames jersey….still, if it means we’re headed in the right direction, I’ll deal with it.

30. Messier11edm says:

Genjutsu,

Good point

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Does this mean Belov’s prognosis is good? I still haven’t heard anything about when he is coming back?

No call up today right?

Who plays D tomorrow?

32. RexLibris says:

Messier11: If you’re a long time fan, you deserve the truth. Here goes:

the future is now.

Dubnyk did pretty well with a Russian backup last year, if I recall correctly.

Messier11edm:

Interesting.appreciate your take. (you would know better than me)….Really liked Smid, and hate the fact I’m gonna have to see him in a Flames jersey….still, if it means we’re headed in the right direction, I’ll deal with it.

34. Thinker says:

Its time to axe lowe. I don’t care who has the final say, when the GM your advising gets shafted in every deal, your inept. I don’t care how many rings you have being a spectator on the greatest team ever assembled, you have one decent season in fourteen years. Sure we weren’t always god awful, but you can’t say the pretambellini years were the picture of success. I don’t want to slam the 06 team, but I suspect percentages had a play. 90% of that team hasn’t been worth a damn before or since.

But what do I know, I’m just a second class fan who doesn’t have season tickets to watch one of the worst teams ever assembled.

35. Moose says:

At tomorrow’s MacT presser I hope someone from the scrum asks: “Ok, NOW how’s your goalie?”

#2006 #toosoon?

36. Bank Shot says:

Genjutsu:
    I think there was no place for Smid on the team anymore.I think you can make the argument that Belov and Ference surpassed him on the left side and there is a good chance that one if not three of the kids will by next season.

What has Belov really done?

He plays the softest comp with the best zone starts. He doesn’t PK and he doesn’t produce on the PP.

He’s been pretty vanilla IMO.

I hope they really didn’t trade Smif to make room for Klefbom.

I’m so tired of the Oilers opening up roster spots for kids that haven’t earned them.

37. jfry says:

the comparison of horak to omark is absurd, to start.

horak can play in our bottom four like lander could two years ago. he’s a kid with some potential, but not to help a contending team, at this point.

crazy.

bryzy. the ridiculous thing about this, is that it didn’t happen in august. i’m not sure why anyone thought labs was a real answer.

bryz and dubs is exactly what LT has been talking about for the last few days (months)…someone who can go on a streak and not just be a shitty replacement.. free. amazing. leaves hemsky open as a chip. gets a ton of cap relief for a contract most oiler fans cheered for, even though we’re finding out is a waste.

nice day for oil mgt.

38. stephen sheps says:

apropos of nothing, Penner has 4 points in under 10 minutes of ice time tonight.

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This season, with the coming of Belov and the kids was all about making peace with Smid leaving…

But this is too damn soon. It wasn’t supposed to happen this way.

15 first. 15 First!!!

This feels disrespectful.

Romulus Apotheosis:

No call up today right?

Who plays D tomorrow?

Belov, I imagine. He was skating today. They have Petry, Ference, N Schultz, Larsen, Fedun, and then Belov and J Schultz.

Belov is ahead of Schultz the younger iirc

41. jfry says:

AMAZING DAY actually

42. Bank Shot says:

Lowetide: Well, I think the emergence of Klefbom (and soon Nurse) and Marincin means all these left side guys are probably extinct in the next 1.5-2 years. Oilers are developing some tall trees who can really scoot, and they haven’t traded them yet.

43. jfry says:

stephen sheps,

also leads the league in +/- (I know a useless stat)

but RNH and hesky and yakupov would like it right now

44. Messier11edm says:

Another win for the Avs (ya, I know against the Flames)….boy, they are playing the way I thought the Oilers would after all the draft picks

45. stephen sheps says:

jfry,

I know. It’s amazing what the big man can do with the right line mates. I’m happy for him.

Bank Shot: I’ll be absolutely shocked if more then one of those prospects is any better then NHL replacement level within the next two seasons.

47. Messier11edm says:

Sportsnet Connected reporting following trade rumour:

Simmonds and Luke Schenn for Hemsky/Eberle

Messier11edm:
    Sportsnet Connected reporting following trade rumour:

Simmonds and Luke Schenn for Hemsky/Eberle

Oilers are going to have to throw in Hall.

49. Mattaklap says:

LT, I’ve read your site forever but never post. I have to say, I think you could have pursued a career as a therapist, talking good folks off the proverbial ledge here in your spare time. I’m sheltered from the angst here in Victoria, sort of an ebony tower from which I can see the glorious Stanley Cup run in the spring of 2018, in which Captain Taylor Hall hands the Stanley to Conn Smythe winner Devan Dubnyk. All things shall pass.

50. RexLibris says:

jfry,

I used Omark as a partially facetious example of a tweener player who does one thing well, but not enough of a rounded game to make it stick in the NHL.

Horak is a better all-around player than Gazdic and probably as good or better than Horak.

That being said, this trade wasn’t about Horak. It was about Brossoit and Bryzgalov and perhaps something else to follow.

I don’t like seeing Smid go, but as has been noted above, the LD is getting full and the best place to bring along a Klefbom or Marincin later this season or early next is to make those moves when you can something of value.

51. Caramel Obvious says:

This is what I think happened. We’ve been talking since the summer about the potential logjam on D and the idea that Nick Schultz would likely be traded. Well the logjam is here and someone was traded. The only difference from everyone expected was that it was Smid instead of N. Schultz. So what we have to ask ourselves is why?

Once we get to that question everything falls into place. Smid was traded because the return for Smid was greater than the return for N. Schultz. So there are really only two relevant questions.

1) How much better is Smid than N. Schultz?
    2) Would the Oilers have gotten more if they waited?

To the first, I don’t think the difference is that great. Smid is a mid to bottom pairing guy. Honestly, he isn’t necessarily one of the top six guys the Oilers have.

The second question is unanswerable.

So while I don’t love the trade because it feels like the Oilers gave away an NHL quality player for nothing let’s not exaggerate what has happened. Considering contracts I’d rather have Petry, Larsen, Fedun, Belov, and J Schultz ahead of Smid for sure, and Ference is untradeable.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Oilers are going to have to throw in Hall.

And Todd Harvey, the ultimate sweetener.

53. Bank Shot says:

Lowetide: Me too. However, if you have them then you have to play them. I expect we’ll see Klefbom and Marincin for some games this season and then Nurse fulltime in the fall.

No you don’t have to play them. None of them are even close to being waiver eligible.

Of course selling next year is the biggest concern for those idiots in the front office so they’ll push them all into the NHL too soon like always.

54. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Oilers are going to have to throw in Hall.

Surprised it is getting any play, but I suppose they can’t be too choosy about content. Heard on the radio that the Oilers outright denied that Eberle was in play, that the Flyers brought up his name but it wasn’t reciprocated by MacTavish.

55. TheOtherJohn says:

Is there any evidence that Klefbom is ready to jump to the NHL now? Soon? I understood he had been a healthy scratch this past weekend in Chicago because of poor play. Is that wrong?

56. RexLibris says:

Caramel Obvious,

No one is untradeable – Horcoff.

Okay, Sheldon Souray was untradeable.

;)

1-year, $1.75M for Bryzgalov. That’s a completely reasonable signing. Oilers now have a little cap room.

TheOtherJohn:
    Is there any evidence that Klefbom is ready to jump to the NHL now? Soon? I understood he had been a healthy scratchthis past weekend in Chicago because of poor play. Is that wrong?

He’d played well early, and then did struggle (can’t remember what weekend). Still, he’s a guy we’re going to see sooner than later.

59. TheOtherJohn says:

Chet Pickard is the Colten Tuebert of prospect goalies. I.e. He was better at 18 than he is today. 18 months from now we’ll release him in the dead of summer and hope nobody notices

60. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Matty with some of Eakins’ thoughts on Larsen:

“Anton Belov (knee) skated well in practice but with Eakins high on Philip Larsen and Taylor Fedun scoring in his first and second NHL games, it seems unlikely he would play against the Flyers. Justin Schultz (groin) skated hard before practice at U of Pennsylvania’s old barn (1923) but he won’t play. Larsen played a whopping 23:34 against Tampa. “For me, he’s been our best defenceman the last two nights (Florida and Tampa). He’s defended well and has gotten up in the offence. I’m very encouraged. When you look at ice-times at the end of the night, that’s usually a pretty good indicator of who we’re feeling comfortable with,” said Eakins.”

61. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wow… that’s way under the 3M we were hearing… fantastic!

so… other shoe time… what the eff with Smid… the deals seems wildly unrelated now.

62. gcw_rocks says:

I can’t believe anyone would defend this trade. Let’s trade a real NHL player for more maybes. Trade him for Marcel Goc if you want to dump him but get a real God damn NHL player in return. Teams that are trying to rise do not trade proven talent for maybes.

Btw, since Lowe has been seen on tour with MacT I guess we can put an end to the delusion that MacT had autonomy.

63. TheOtherJohn says:

Klefbom scratched this past weekend in Chicago after worse game of year Friday night

Wel keep forgetting that we still have 8 games against SJS, ANA and 9 games against LAK, VCR & PHx………….without mentioning STL, Chicago & Minnesota. Have not checked to see how many games we have against other division in Western Conference. Wonder if we could use Smid’s physicality against those very very large skilled teams? Keep forgetting in new NHL puck moving D are everything. Fortunately we have large physical centers to help down low #notreally

64. fifthcartel says:

Any idea of how much cap space this leaves open?

65. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: wow… that’s way under the 3M we were hearing… fantastic!

Agreed. That is a good deal. As I said earlier, less than $2 million is right.

Now, what happens between now and five minutes after the Flyers game?…

66. Henry says:

I will miss Smid. That guy gave a shit when few others did. The return is one you get if he is a pending UFA like nultz. Two prospects back after seven long years developing Smid into a tough NHL defenseman. Burke must be pleased.

Now the miracle development of Brodziak turned into Bigos, gone, and Roy, two years developing, now Brossoit, X years developing.

I guess a lot of this is the cycle of life in hockey but the Oilers seem to be perpetual development machine. Could Smid have not been a hockey trade and N. Shultz a prospect trade?

Douglas Murray got two seconds with an expiring contract.

That clearing cap quote from Mac through Tencer is clearly bullshit if Bryz is at 1.7M this year.

Something expensive is in the works.

67. iHockeyWpg says:

Sorry guys, but I totally missed how we acquired Chet Pickard? Can anyone clarify? Thanks. I do recall he was a first round draft pick,world junior, but his career has gone nowhere since turning pro.

Adds about $1.7M so I believe Edmonton would have over $6M in cap room should they choose to move over all the bonus dollars attainable. They have wiggle room now imo, but speeds or someone else would have to drop by and give us a sliderule estimate.

69. Bank Shot says:

gcw_rocks:
    I can’t believe anyone would defend this trade. Let’s trade a real NHL player for more maybes. Trade him for Marcel Goc if you want to dump him but get a real God damn NHL player in return.Teams that are trying to rise do not trade proven talent for maybes.

How about we put an end to the delusion that MacT has an above average hockey mind as well.

70. RexLibris says:

Moroz quiet on a 5-0 win tonight. 0-0-0 even, and 4 PIMs. Khaira still not skating for Everett.

Platzer 0-0-0, even as well.

Guess it was just the NHL boys making all the noise tonight.

71. Bar_Qu says:

Lowetide: I believe Horak will play for Edmonton, don’t know when though. They’ll want to get a look at him in OKC one would expect.

LaBarbera could get picked up, I’d say it’s less than 20%.

Sail On Smid will be up either tomorrow afternoon/evening or Sunday morning.

Really? Hasn’t it been in the hopper for a couple of years now? ;-)

1/1.75 should be enough to clear some of the chicken littles responding to this evening’s trades. That is a great number.

iHockeyWpg:
    Sorry guys, but I totally missed how we acquired Chet Pickard?Can anyone clarify?Thanks.I do recall he was a first round draft pick,world junior, but his career has gone nowhere since turning pro.

73. Good-Natured Locomotive says:

Marco Roy: 1-1-2, +1 tonight.

74. RexLibris says:

Good-Natured Locomotive,

Missed Roy. Good to hear. Be nice to get some information on Khaira’s health.

75. jb says:

Any guesses on which higher end defenseman might be brought in? The next move is pretty clear.

76. fifthcartel says:

There has to be another move on the way with Bryz signing for only 1.75. That doesn’t strike me as clearing room for Bryzgalov only.

77. Bank Shot says:

jb:

Probably Ekblad.

78. Zelepukin says:

$1.7M? If that is indeed true, definitely worth the risk. Here’s hoping for another Roloson scenario with a mid thirties, once awesome, tender having a rejuvenated career.

79. TheOtherJohn says:

Bryzgalov had ZERO bargaining position and we pay him real $$ (1.75m) for balance of season. Seems kinda questionable? Worse if he has a terribly rejuvenated year he gets paid real money next year.

If another bigger deal is coming, great but moves to date greatly underwhelming.

80. Brackenburied says:

So Mr Mactavish (no MacT for that a-hole) makes my little girl* cry all for a goalie who has about a 50/50 chance of being any better than the duds we have now!!! I am mystified and disillusioned. The flames for crying out loud. I’m not gonna go all BlackJack (no offense intended Jacques) but I am very disappointed right now.
    *Smids number one fan since she was in grade 4.

81. OilClog says:

Smid.. A Flame.. Some sort of bizarrooooo world

82. russ99 says:

IMO Brossoit is going to the ECHL once Bachman is healthy.

Pickard logged a ton of AHL minutes with decent numbers for a few years before his Swedish adventure. He’s at least a 1A AHL goalie. Bachman/Pickard is a nice tandem for OKC.

I’m not especially pleased that all the goalie futures acquired today fit the Dubnyk profile, big net fillers, not especially athletic. Why can’t the Oilers get a not huge, solid technique butterfly goalie who can make quick reflex saves?

If this season proved anything, it’s that big net-fillers who can’t make athletic highlight reel reflex saves can only get you so far.

83. wheatnoil says:

I’m not the expert, but from what I understand, the Oilers would have about $3 million to comfortably play with.

Capgeek reports the Oilers have about $6 million in cap room, but about $9 million in performance bonuses to account for. Given it’s unlikely that any of J. Schultz, RNH, or Yakupov hit their Schedule B performance bonuses at this point, that saves $6 million in potential bonuses ($2 million per player, assuming their contracts are like other star player’s rookie max contract). So the Oilers have $6 million in cap room and about $3 million in potential schedule A performance bonuses that may eat into that. As the year progresses on, they may save more money if Yakupov, RNH, Belov, or J Schultz don’t look like they’re going to hit their Schedule A bonuses, whatever they are.

84. Kitchener says:

Wow.

Pros:
    - today’s headline did NOT include Eberle
    - more Fedun soon
    - a change to the crease crew, which certainly just changed
    - an end to rumors of Ryan Miller or similar (with the associated acquisition costs)

Thoughts:
    - Guys like Smid go up in value near the trade deadline. Why deal him now? Presumably, the extra cap flexibility now outweighs any asset appreciation that would have come with a deadline deal. Or, the Oil are clearing a spot now for Fedun & other OKC defenders to play games now.
    - Oil move Omark & Eager back to OKC with both exposed to waivers. MacT trying to unload another contract?
    - Smid was not the problem here, but he also wasn’t the solution. I liked him and wish he was almost anywhere other than Calgary (Vancouver would have been worse), but evidently he isn’t on MacT’s concept of the 2017 championship team.
    - Bryz is a low-risk experiment. Given the alternatives (do nothing while team goaltending is below SV .880), this is a good move.

Stuff needed to change. Now stuff changed. I don’t really like it, but I liked doing nothing even less.

85. Zack says:

Bryz will definitely make the interviews more entertaining and I can only imagine the dynamic he’ll bring to the dressing room, more specifically with the kids. More specifically the dynamic between him and Yak. Last entertaining interviewee’ was probably Greene. Hopefully he can stop the puck too.

Sad to see Smid traded, quality top four guy and a character as well but the deal could work in our favour eventually and addresses some holes in the org. He seemed to really love this organization but hockey is business.

As for the “next move”/rumours, if we can upgrade defense/forward without losing one of the kids + Gags/Perron/Jultz I’d say we will have improved the team, or at least put forth the effort. If it is Philly I could honestly see Luke Schenn being involved, especially with the grumbling a earlier this season, which I would embrace. If it was B. Schenn, I’d be ecstatic but I can’t see it happening. I’d be okay with our first rounder being dealt if it meant B. Schenn or Couts coming our way.

86. russ99 says:

Kitchener,

Both Eager and Omark didn’t have to go through waivers.

Once you clear waivers once, waivers don’t apply again until after you play a specific number of NHL games. I seem to recall that number to be 10 or 12.

87. bendelson says:

In regards to the Smid trade…

I fear this is a costly example of tunnel vision scouting for an up and coming goalie.
    I hope Brossoit is as good as they clearly think (hope) he is.

88. TheOtherJohn says:

russ99:

He is not a 1A AHL goalie. He is a suspect. Fully expect Stu MacGregor to be quoted tomorrow as saying he liked Pickard 5 freaking years ago!………. please ignore his lack of success since then #OnlywiththeOilers

89. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris:

Platzer 0-0-0, even as well.

Guess it was just the NHL boys making all the noise tonight.

Not so.

Draisaitl 1-2-3 +1

90. Bank Shot says:

russ99:
    IMO Brossoit is going to the ECHL once Bachman is healthy.

I haven’t seen Brossoit play but there are a lot of scouting reports and articles that praise his agility and athleticism.

91. Ducey says:

TheOtherJohn: Chet Pickard played the last 1/2 of the 2010/11 season and all of the 2011/12 season in the ECHL. That is he played parts of two seasons in the AHL and then moved down to the ECHL before moving to Sweden. That is called regressing

He is not a 1A AHL goalie. He is a suspect. Fully expect Stu MacGregor to be quoted tomorrowas saying he liked Pickard 5 freaking years ago!………. please ignore his lack of success since then #OnlywiththeOilers

AHL deal. Zero risk.

92. Kitchener says:

russ99,

I stand corrected – thanks.

Burke has got to be smiling tonight – out with old prospects who don’t fit his profile, in with a useful player and/or trade bait for the deadline.

93. Ducey says:

RexLibris,

I am going with “as good” :)

94. RexLibris says:

Ducey:
    RexLibris,

I am going with “as good”

Woah. meant Acton. Okay, time to call it a night.

Heh, I suppose he’d better be as good as that Horak kid, otherwise the you-know-what is going to hit the fan!

Good catch, thanks.

95. Dominoiler says:

Lowetide: For the Oilers, it’s a low risk item

96. RexLibris says:

russ99,

You don’t have to clear for another 30 days, no NHL game requirement I believe.

97. Hammers says:

Messier11edm:

Glad you feel that way and this is 1 time I agree with LT 100% .If Smid didn’t go now he would have within the next year . Nurse , Klefbom , Marinchin . 2 if not all of them will play in the NHL .I look at this as Brossoit for Smid and Horak for Roy .

98. G Money says:

TheOtherJohn:

If so, then I would say that Brzgalov is the Cam Barker of goalie reclamation projects…

RexLibris:

Roman Horak may be a fine young prospect as a 3C/4C, and although he’s small (cause you can never have enough small centres?), I would certainly say he’s an upgrade on Gazdic and probably Acton. The thing is, there are four or five guys in OKC (including Omark) who are also upgrades on Gazdic and probably Acton. We didn’t need to trade Smid to get another one.

Unless:

- there’s some big BOLD trade in the works that brings back a 1D or a big 2C or Cory Schneider, or
    - the tank is once again on and we’ll see a bunch more mid-level players moved out for prospects

This move smacks of desperation and short-sightedness. Very much like the SMac signing, but at least that one only cost us a roster spot and a small amount of cash. These signings costs us real money, a real NHL player, and probably a bunch of games to boot.

99. bendelson says:

I believe we have seen an example of Bob Green’s influence in the organization.
    One would think he would have a strong read on the Brossoit.

Is Hemsky for the Samuelsson next?

100. Bank Shot says:

Dominoiler: Wow, good to look at it like that.. goalie depth was significantly improved today..

That’s debatable.

The Oilers certainly increased their depth in question marks though!

101. Kitchener says:

Emerging from the initial surprise, this needs to be said: Adding Bryz MIGHT be AWESOME.

Depending on how he plays, he could be our new #1, trade deadline bait, or a short-term waste of cap space. In sum, that’s a really good signing.

102. Dominoiler says:

It sucks that the team had to crash this hard, but it did..

I think we are starting to see depth in the organization.. options for Eakins, competition.. Larson / Fedun / Shultz (next season Kelfbom / Marincin, not sure which side they each play)

These 4th liners, (but hey, if LT can see a silver lining w Horak then ill look for it..), its more than just Acton now, another centre to compete w Lander too.. didnt like how weak Horak sounds in the scouting report.. do we really need another kid getting pushed around?!.. but, we’ll see.. So, it seems the oilers are a little further along at centre, w them and Arco.. hopefully?!..

Then at goaltending,.. Getting two goalies of similar age and pedigree (correct me if im wrong, of course) to compete n push each other, while giving them time to develop (long term investment) while the ‘pros’ Bryz n Doobs (then perhaps a July 1st) hold the fort for the next couple years..

The Oilers arnt just looking at one person (ex. Lander these last two seasons) to fill a role. They are banking on 1 of 2 or 3 players emerging as a difference maker, and now this is found in each discipline.. I wonder what that could do to the culture of the team, bit of a wake up call (as Smid alluded to earlier this week)..

very interesting day,.. sail on smid,.. Seriously tho, a F’n Flame!?.. at least he isnt a dirty or super nasty player, so when compared w the nastiness of a regehr there is less fear of smid destroying an oiler.. we’ll see.. shit..

Edit: yeah, maybe depth of question marks is a better way of putting it!..

103. stevezie says:

I hate to take the easy way out and just parrot CO and WG, but they sure look right to me.

Yes the return was not that great, and yes we are a worse team after the trade than before… but not that much worse.

I liked Smid, and think we will miss his grit, but I think the difference between him and FEDUN (ffs) was not big enough to justify the logjam at D. At some point someone on the farm is coming up. Someone had to go and no one wanted Schultz.

The softest team in the league got a little softer, but someone had to go, and now we have a viable 1A goalie. Maybe.

Not a lot there to love, but I just can’t get that mad.

104. OilBuzz says:

I’m okay with this. Nothing crazy yet, very low risk involved, and it shakes up a team that needs shaking up.

105. kooler says:

Who knows if the oil didn’t pick up some bryz buyout and work out an actual trade with philli. Hope for some more craziness tomorrow.

106. Ribs says:

I guess we wait for the other shoe to drop. It’s fine to say that Belov replaces Smid (not quite), but this is not an opportune time for this trade if the defence isn’t being addressed shortly.

107. hoser313 says:

Let’s ask a hypothetical question. Would you trade Anton Lander and your starting ECHL goaltender for another team’s actual number 4 veteran defenseman? I’ll bet Jay Feaster would.

Secondly, we’ve now acquired a second goalie whose numbers have dropped since leaving Phoenix. Did anybody stop to ask the question why Barbs is struggling? Any logical reason why Bryz could do better?

To me, this reeks of desperation. Could have gotten a much higher price for Smid at the deadline.

There’s also now nobody who fills the Dave Manson, Jason Smith, Ladi Smid role on the team. I guess Nurse better start hitting the weights.

108. art vandelay says:

That’s odd. Did only Esquimalt’s water supply get poisoned by crack tonight? Or are you in Oak Bay? In any event, the water in Saanich remains free of halucinogens.

109. VanOil says:

RexLibris:
    Good-Natured Locomotive,

Missed Roy. Good to hear. Be nice to get some information on Khaira’s health.

Rex the last I heard Khaira is skating with the team again but will be held back this weekend. He has been named to team Canada for the Subway series later this month so it looks like he will play soon.

110. VanOil says:

It is the wee hours of the morn and i may be well oiled and enthusiastic in mind if not spirit but is the ‘incoming’ title of this blog a play off the bullet like holes depicted in the Byriezes mask in the tittle photo ala LT ‘darkened “T” brilliance with the Golden Nugget?

111. VanOil says:

art vandelay:
    Saanich remains free of halucinogens.

Saanich water is always laced with hallucinogens it is just that the locals can’t tell the diffenerce any more.

112. Colieo87 says:

Chill out people.. Hes prospect goalie that picked up and frankly I know the oil where targeting him in the draft, look they still got him and he might be a swinging deal in a few years. Remember Eakins said he’s going to keep it competitive. Well it’s sure is, hockey in this era is a numbers game and if you get pushed out by some else it keeps it competitive. Smid had the most penalty mins for a defenceman. And sat a – 6. But only 2 points. Petry is a better option but our pairing are wacked. We still need a solid 1 and 2 pairing. And with the free agent signing I’m on the fence, I think it can go south really quick but I hope he takes the conditioning in oakahoma the right way and come here with something to prove. If he does it might be enough to catch some wins and string some games, Stop most shot dubs can’t stop. And we all know of it goes South he just off contract next season. There isn’t much worse it can go. The other thing if I was Mac t I would aquire cujo for goalie couch and see what he can do. After all hockey now is just a numbers game. Remember that folks.

113. 106 and 106 says:

Talk About Bold. Good for MacT. The Tambo era of “assessing” the situation is over!!!

114. RMGS says:

The Smid trade is bad – Tabelliniesque.

Sure, losing Smid is not like losing Petry, and maaayybe Fedun and Larsen emerge. But the Oilers gave up the best (and only NHL) player in the trade by far. It shows poor asset management, to put it mildly. To boot, they traded him to a divisional rival – for magic beans. Smid would have had more value than that near the deadline. I’m not against trading him – just hoped for the best return (but it turned out like always).

Want to clear cap space? There’s enough dead weight on the roster to give away for ECHL ‘prospects’ and ‘future considerations’ if you must. Smid’s trade was not necessary to acquire Bryzgalov for a year at $1.75 million.

Unless bold now means stupid, this trade is not defensible.

115. bookje says:

Can anyone explain why the Oilers wouldn’t hold on to Smid a bit longer? Unless the Brygalov deal is $3 million+ it makes no sense

116. Lynas1 says:

Couple of things I thought about. Seems Horak is a hedged bet against an Anton Lander bust. That seems to be the thinking here by my eye.

The real question in my mind now is who of Klefbom/Nurse makes it next year/sticks around. If Belov resigns and ference on board, I figure likely only one sticks. My bet is on Nurse. I was pretty high on Klefbom until recently.

Can goalies be named captain in the AHL? If so.. The headlines write themselves for Mr. pickard.

117. pboy says:

I have to believe that Smid was moved to accomplish multiple goals.

1. Free up cap space for a trade headlined by Hemsky leaving Edm. I think it’s reasonable to suggest that Philly or the NYR might be our trading partners. I wouldn’t be surprised if the targets are Dan Girardi and Wayne Simmonds, respectively.

2. I don’t think Eakins loved what Smid brought to the table as much as a lot of the fans did. Smid wore an “A” for this team last season but after Eakins handed out 6 of them this season, Smid wasn’t included. I don’t remember who brought it up at the time (probably WG) but that was a slight tell.

3. Smid’s level of play has regressed a bit this season and I’m not sure if he ever had the highest level of Hockey IQ to begin with. It took him at least 6 seasons to recognize the back door play and he was guilty of it again this year. I’m a big fan of his aggressiveness and his positive attitude.

4. Regardless of what MacT is saying, he’s not done right now.

118. Romulus Apotheosis says:

pboy: Smid wore an “A” for this team last season but after Eakins handed out 6 of them this season, Smid wasn’t included. I don’t remember who brought it up at the time (probably WG) but that was a slight tell.

When Whitney and Hemsky got stripped of the As going into last season RK didn’t give Smid one. He gave N. Schultz.

Eakins let 15 keep his A.

I agree though not giving one to Smid was a real tell.

119. cabbiesmacker says:

pboy:
    I have to believe that Smid was moved to accomplish multiple goals.

Well it certainly accomplished a couple for sure.

1) That the Oilers are still a laughingstock

2) That MacT, despite his bluster, is just more of the same

3) That the Oilers are NOT a better team today than they were yesterday despite giving up a player who was reportedly a strong force in the locker room and their best shotblocker

Pathetic.and desperate moves by a very bad hockey team and even worse management group

120. Beaker says:

do we get any cap relief sending labarbera down as well?

121. Minister D- says:

The Oilblogosphere reacts to the Smid trade / Bryz signing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ9wNT21c_s

122. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Beaker: do we get any cap relief sending labarbera down as well?

Yes. but not a lot.

Look at the Wade Redden Rule… I think that is the relevant part.

123. bookje says:

Where’s Woodguy?

124. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Minister D-:

Nothing a little gauze can’t solve.

125. fuzzy muppet says:

RMGS,

This is 100% correct. Mwhy not just sign Bryz and hold onto Smid until closer to the deadline when more injuries occur and demand is higher?

If there isnt another move coming, then this was just a stupid move by a stupid franchise with stupid management…..

Par for the course

126. theres oil in virginia says:

Dominoiler: Someone was saying, just the other day, that the oilers payroll for defense was starting to stack up and implied some relief was needed.. plus, fedun did in two games what Smid would maybe do in a season,.. Fedun did have the empty net giveaway,.. how much more work does it take to re-smid (develop) these other guys, (Larson) whats the downside defensively, and what offensive are they bringing to the table..

The fact that nobody called this out as ridiculous is really a tell about how most of us see Smid. The above statement is pretty accurate, that Fedun already is (perhaps) a small step down from Smid, right now. And that’s not to mention how bad Smid was at Fedun’s current career-position. Fedun costs a fraction of Smid, and for those dollars, Smid was not delivering. So, although one may like him (Smid), and for that reason be upset to see him go, it’s hard for me to imagine that one could see this as making the team worse.

Nick Schultz is playing well so far, and has the kind of contract that teams like at the deadline (UFA this year). Smid was not playing well, and very well might have decreased his value with time, and is not UFA this year. My impression (no research conducted into this) is that competing teams that are close to the cap don’t like the idea of being saddled with $3.5M going into the next season for a veteran defenseman who might underperform next season. They’ll take a chance on them for the remainder of the current season, though (Douglas Murray).

I still don’t see why PHI would acquire Hemsky now. Their season is toast.

127. denny33 says:

RMGS,

The Smid trade is bad – Tabelliniesque.

**************************************************

Exactly!!…..the air is RIPE with desparation.

************************************************

*******************************************************************************************************

I don’t care if Fedun and Larsen emerge – return on the asset is what?

Exxon found a major pure oil in Alaska -I guess they should dump an oil asset in Malaysia for pennies dimes on the dollar.

Cap space an issue for the embarassing Oilers….

Out of all the time to move Smid, Tambo -oops I mean Mac T – decideds this cap constrained year is the time to move our only shut down d-man. This year.

Mact T (March 2009 ) –

” Hi, TD Waterhouse, I would like to sell alll of my blue chip stocks”

Waterhouse rep: ” Sir, you have blue chip stocks like TD – not sure this would be the best time to sell during a huge bear market. If you would really like to sell, maybe you can wait until the market normalizes a bit?”

Mac T- ” SELL NOW!!!!”

**************************************************************************

You know it is embarassing when a good chunck of oiler fans assume this is a dump to make
    way for another trade or shoe to drop.

Because there has to be another explanation….

******************************************************************************
    Unless bold now means stupid, this trade is not defensible.

*****************************************************************************

It is not defensible…..and add to this his incredible praise for Krueger as he stared straight into the cameras.

Cap constrained 28th place team? Imagine if he signed Clarkson……

Tried his hardest to trade away Nurse….

6 months from now – salary cap expands and your options for all kinds of trade partners EXPANDS dramatically.

Why now?

Playoffs are a pipe dream –

This team still has N Schulz and Andrew Ference

128. denny33 says:

bookje,

EXACTLY!!!!

129. TheOtherJohn says:

Fedun as adequate replacement for Smid.? Maybe but 2 games played might be a wee bit light before anyone should make an informed assessment

130. Mesmer says:

In 1999 the Oilers fleeced the Maple Leafs by handing them a couple of draft picks for a former first round pick of another franchise who was having a bit of a down year. That player was in his seventh year as a pro and was available because the Leafs management had become impatient at his development even though the defenceman was still a few years away from 30.

I remember shaking my head at the thought that he would even be available, but thought that if the Leafs management were that incompetent, someone was going to benefit. It might as well be the Oilers. I even phoned the Oilers office express this and am certain it had zero effect in the outcome.

If Ladi SMid turns it on in a Flames jersey the way Jason Smith did in a Oilers uniform, it is going to piss me off for the rest of my life – I will have to find another team to cheer for, I suspect.

What is more alarming is that WE are now the incompetent bunch of boobs the Maple Leafs were back then. So So Very Very Very Very Very Very Sad. It’s a good thing I work tonight or I would be drinking all day.

131. Lloyd B. says:

Mac T has been juking and jiving since he started. None of the crazy trades us armchair GMs have been throwing out have been even close to reality. I reckon these moves are setting the table for a couple of other moves. Mac T obviously plays chess.

132. theres oil in virginia says:

TheOtherJohn:

Sure. But, I think it probably says more about Smid than about Fedun – Smid is not too hard to replace. I think the problem for Smid was the giveaways. Eberle, Hall and Hemsky give the puck away, but they also create offense. Smid can’t afford to give the puck away very often, as he can’t create offense and he can’t be relied on to move the puck out of the d-zone gracefully.

133. fuzzy muppet says:

Lloyd B.,

Maybe MacT just reals stinks at checkers