OILERS AT BLUE JACKETS, G27 13-14

In their last 5 games, the Oilers are 4-1. Four wins, 1 loss. 8 points, 5 games. They’ve been the winner in all but one of the last 5 games. They have gotten two points in 80% of the games they’ve played since two weeks ago Saturday. The first 20 games saw the team go 4-14-2, and they’re 4-2-0 since and 8-16-2 overall. CRAZY. Just crazy.

GETTING CLOSER!

plane111

• Woodguy: The Oilers are 64.3% Fenclose in the last 5 games and are finally playing like they can and playing Eakins system like they are supposed to.

There are some very good arrows today, and the Edmonton Oilers. now 8 games under .500 instead of 11—small victories are big steps—are looking to run the table on this road trip and hit double digits in the win column. If they come home 10-16-2 then hope might raise an eyebrow, the sun may want to shine, the Oilers and their new coach may begin to turn North together.

REVOLUTION

My Dad always told me you only get one chance to make a first impression, and for Ilya Bryzgalov the shutout last night is a home run.  His post-game reaction (“so far, so good”) is perfect understatement compared to expectation, the quote works as both comedy and farce. I’m beginning to like this guy.

Mark Arcobello and Ryan Jones gave life to that 4line, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Jesse Joensuu had his finest game in forever with the group. One of the truly underrated skills in hockey is taking/making a pass, and we were witness to its power last night. A little bit of good luck would have seen that line pot a goal, but maybe it comes tonight. It was very interesting to see how much Eakins relied on that line, and I bet you he missed the truculence far less than he’ll miss four lines who can play.

BEAUTY!

WOOD

The Oilers Chance line was rocking and rolling last night, they combined for 5 points and 10 shots on goal (Hall had 5), and the trio has 22 goals in 26 games (not quite the GAG line but they’re getting there). I thought the Gagner line had some nice moments (89 had an assist and won more than 50% of his faceoffs) and Gordon’s line did the heavy-lifting and looked good doing it. Gordon-Smyth-Perron is approaching the point where calling them the third line is a disservice: they’re becoming the Peca line for this hockey club. The Perron trio had a rough time Corsi for%, but they were the best suited line to do the heavy work and they should play that role until Smyth falters. He has been an outstanding player for the Oilers this year.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

birkin3

Friday edition of the show, 10 this morning TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

10-1260 on text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. See you on the radio!

223 Responses to "OILERS AT BLUE JACKETS, G27 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. B S says:

regwald: but up until then the only heart and soul guy I saw was Perron. He busted his ass and tried to change the game.

I hope the rest of the guys going through the motions took note. Maybe even Perron made a statement in the dressing room to embarrass a few of the passengers. We can all hope.

2. regwald says:

B S: Boy did I see that differently. Perron was lazing about with the rest of them by my eye. It’s one of the reasons I was so disgusted with the game, because he usually puts in a great effort no matter what’s going on with the scoreboard. I swear I saw him staring at the rafters in the middle of a shift, never seen him like that before.

Interesting. I saw him busting his ass and sticking his nose in while the rest of the team watched gliding around.

3. Pablo Aimar says:

fuzzy muppet:
    So what’s the schedule for the rebuild now?

Well “the kids” are still young. Wait until they are 25, then a playoff spot is possible.

4. Alsker says:

Definitely contagious, this flu causing lack of caring or desire, time to turf the training staff again!!!! I fear a couple of years from now the game day thread will still devolve into discussion about music. Alas, time to plug in some Ventures or maybe Black Mages….decisions, decisions……..

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

If you are feeling the country rock of The Band’s era, be sure to give Sweetheart of the Rodeo a spin.

This version, released in 1990 restores Parsons’ original lead vox on a few tunes (they were replaced on the original album by McGinn because of some legal fiddling)

I’ve been obsessed by Neil Young’s Zuma for weeks now. It’s the guitar. Amazing guitar, well and the melodies but Neil Young always has those. The guitar. Man.

Romulus Apotheosis:

This version, released in 1990 restores Parsons’ original lead vox on a few tunes (the were replaced on the original album by McGinn because of some legal fiddling)

Hickory Wind. One of my favorite songs. Love Gram Parsons music.

8. lance says:

Y’all are just old enough to have a relationship with Pure Prairie League. I’m about ten years too young. What’s your favourite there? Ever see them live? Can any of their albums do the live gig justice and if so which one(s)?

Kinda glad I missed the game. American Thanksgiving is a cultural experience unlike anything I’ve seen anywhere else in the world. I can slide behind the camera and am very grateful for this blog and an iphone.

Karchner caverns. Incredible. If you’re ever in southern Arizona.

9. regwald says:

Disc 4:

I Heard it Through the Grapevine, Midnight Train to Georgia, Hold On I’m Coming, Ain’t No Sunshine, Drift Away, Stand By Me, Shout, I’ve Never Loved Someone the Way I Love You, Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, Lean On Me, What’d I Say

Discs 5 and 6 are all Garth’s tunes. And two DVDs of concert stuff to round out the collection.

10. Ribs says:

Hall not backchecking and cheating for offense when the season is long gone just reminds me of Gagner doing the same thing during this rebuild. Meh. You can say it’s a messed up culture thing, but what do you expect?

11. nelson88 says:

regwald: Yes, that was me. Good Ole Boys Like Me was the tune he selected.

Just listening to his rendition of Mrs. Robinson as we speak.

The “Gentle Giant” was one of my favourite’s growing up. I sing that song to my son pretty much every night to tuck him into bed. Will have to check out the Garth Brooks version. I haven’t followed “Country and Western” that closely in the last decade. Is is just me or is Garth making quite a comeback? My brother just saw him at a major festival down in Nashville and I hear a lot more about him recently.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’ve been obsessedby Neil Young’s Zuma for weeks now. It’s the guitar. Amazing guitar, well and the melodies but Neil Young always has those. The guitar. Man.

Zuma! yea. that’s the chops. I’d only heard “Cortez” for the longest time until I got a vinyl copy off Ebay a couple of months ago. It’s never far from the turntable. Though, “On the Beach” probably gets more spins.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers

“They came with a lot of jump and aggressiveness, and we just couldn’t handle it. Disappointing after last night in Nashville.” – Eberle

11h
    Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers

“The lack of urgency early on is what cost us. We lost the dedication to our good habits.” – Gagner on tonight’s #Oilers loss

I’ll be more impressed when they learn how to do it, rather than mouth it.

———-

Has Hall stopped hating losing?

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Eakins’ presser:

harping on fitness again.

G Money:
    “Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.” – Said absolutely no-one anywhere ever about the 2013-14 Edmonton Oilers

MacT would have fired that guy, and hired Eakins. Because that is sort of exactly what he did.

Lowetide: Oh, I’m still a big fan of Hall and do think he should be on the Olympic team, so we don’t agree. However, I see your point of view and he’s not close to being interested defensively this season, and that is a concern.

Hall’s mediocre checking is a problem for Team Canada. It really isn’t a problem for the OIlers. It is something the Oilers have to get Hall to improve as they become competitive and contenders.

With a good coach, Hall will be amongst the top in the league in scoring, at worst a 50% absolute Corsi player playing against the best players, and a plus player. What we saw last year.

So one has to tweak his defensive game over time.

I don’t think Secretariat was asked to pull the plow much.

regwald:
    Stumbled into The Band because of Robbie Robertson and still haven’t found a Greatest Hits type CD to add to my collection. They have some amazing music.

The Band’s greatest hits are their entire catalogue! -).

You might try the soundtrack to “The Last Waltz”.

Robertson and the record label’s manager were somewhat unfair to the other members of The Band. Just because one is smarter about the business, and contracts, and royalties does not justify what he did.

Robertson is brilliant though.

godot10: Isn’t Hall the only reason Eakins still has a job? If Hall doesn’t make that Hallsian rush up the left wing early in the third period in Calgary…

Hall’s mediocre checking is a problem for Team Canada. It really isn’t a problem for the OIlers.It is something the Oilers have to get Hall to improve as they become competitive and contenders.

With a good coach, Hall will be amongst the top in the league in scoring, at worst a 50% absolute Corsi player playing against the best players, and a plus player.What we saw last year.

So one has to tweak his defensive game over time.

I don’t think Secretariat was asked to pull the plow much.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: You won’t find this blog being critical of Hall for a long time yet, but he hasn’t been good enough this season. I’m not smart enough to know if it’s the 2 games at C, the injury, the system or sulking but I’ve got his back (not that he needs it, or is aware of it lol).

Quit your Hall Bashing!

Why do you hate Hall?

20. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

Boy , we’ve never heard Gagner say that before…..

He is a seven year vet, and still hasn’t figured out you have to grind out wins….

This is why players like Gagner don’t help teams make the playoffs…..

And the most frightening thing is, Hall and Eberle are starting to sound exactly the same….

21. Clarkenstein says:

Hall isnt Team Canada quality… yet. End of discussion.
    On another note from last night… I’m sorry if somebody mentioned this… I think it was Copper and Blue posted that Bryz’ numbers are shitty on the 2nd night of back to backs yet they play him. Does Eakins not have access to these types of things or is he smarter than anybody else? And did Dubnyk not shut these guys out a few games ago? They might have lost with Dubynk too but why not play the odds? Everybody else does.

22. lance says:

Turns out the entire Pure Prairie League collection is available on Spotify. My bad for not doing my homework before asking.

Chiming in on the Taylor Hall debate, I think really its on him to decide what kind of player he wants to be. He can be Dany Heatley and we’ll all be fine with it. He can choose to become Pavel Datsyk and we’ll be more excited. Or he can learn to be both the sprinter and the plow horse and be worthy of the HHOF.

I can’t believe any of this is on the coach except to provide him the tools to find his path and then leave the door open.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Clarkenstein:
    Hall isnt Team Canada quality… yet. End of discussion.
    On another note from last night… I’m sorry if somebody mentioned this… I think it was Copper and Blue posted that Bryz’ numbers are shitty on the 2nd night of back to backs yet they play him. Does Eakins not have access to these types of things or is he smarter than anybody else?And did Dubnyk not shut these guys out a few games ago?They might have lost with Dubynk too but why not play the odds? Everybody else does.

The bad logic of the “hot hand” beat the sound logic of the “b2b leads to a big dive in sv%”

This is a weak team that has become reactionary: always trying to win the last war.

« Older Comments