OILERS AT BLUE JACKETS, G27 13-14

In their last 5 games, the Oilers are 4-1. Four wins, 1 loss. 8 points, 5 games. They’ve been the winner in all but one of the last 5 games. They have gotten two points in 80% of the games they’ve played since two weeks ago Saturday. The first 20 games saw the team go 4-14-2, and they’re 4-2-0 since and 8-16-2 overall. CRAZY. Just crazy.

GETTING CLOSER!

plane111

• Woodguy: The Oilers are 64.3% Fenclose in the last 5 games and are finally playing like they can and playing Eakins system like they are supposed to.

There are some very good arrows today, and the Edmonton Oilers. now 8 games under .500 instead of 11—small victories are big steps—are looking to run the table on this road trip and hit double digits in the win column. If they come home 10-16-2 then hope might raise an eyebrow, the sun may want to shine, the Oilers and their new coach may begin to turn North together.

REVOLUTION

My Dad always told me you only get one chance to make a first impression, and for Ilya Bryzgalov the shutout last night is a home run.  His post-game reaction (“so far, so good”) is perfect understatement compared to expectation, the quote works as both comedy and farce. I’m beginning to like this guy.

Mark Arcobello and Ryan Jones gave life to that 4line, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Jesse Joensuu had his finest game in forever with the group. One of the truly underrated skills in hockey is taking/making a pass, and we were witness to its power last night. A little bit of good luck would have seen that line pot a goal, but maybe it comes tonight. It was very interesting to see how much Eakins relied on that line, and I bet you he missed the truculence far less than he’ll miss four lines who can play.

BEAUTY!

WOOD

The Oilers Chance line was rocking and rolling last night, they combined for 5 points and 10 shots on goal (Hall had 5), and the trio has 22 goals in 26 games (not quite the GAG line but they’re getting there). I thought the Gagner line had some nice moments (89 had an assist and won more than 50% of his faceoffs) and Gordon’s line did the heavy-lifting and looked good doing it. Gordon-Smyth-Perron is approaching the point where calling them the third line is a disservice: they’re becoming the Peca line for this hockey club. The Perron trio had a rough time Corsi for%, but they were the best suited line to do the heavy work and they should play that role until Smyth falters. He has been an outstanding player for the Oilers this year.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

birkin3

Friday edition of the show, 10 this morning TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

10-1260 on text, @Lowetide_ on twitter. See you on the radio!

223 Responses to "OILERS AT BLUE JACKETS, G27 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. sliderule says:

The oiler players are starting to buy in to defensive own zone coverage.

Gagner in particular has been marking his man aggressively in the slot area over the past half dozen games.If all the oiler forwards can get it that it’s not enough to be in area you have to bump them get a stick on them truly mark them you will see way more wins.

2. Ca$h-Money! says:

Looking forward to this game for sure, they are starting to look like a semi-competent team (this is seriously where I set the bar as a fan at this point).

I was at the super series game last night, and by eye Chase and Khaira were two of the best (if not the best) players on the ice. Khaira was a real presence in both ends, great to see.

Also, BRYZ!!!! I’ve got to say I hope this guy works out, because even if he isn’t the best goalie in the league, he’s certainly the most entertaining. I can’t help but want to cheer for the guy.

3. GordM says:

Lowetide had a guest on that called Dubnyk a “Puck Blocker” opposed to a “Puck Stopper”. Bryz looks more like a Puck Stopper which I like (Bachman looked like that in his miracle game against the Kings earlier in the year.

4. justDOit says:

“…what’s the goalie what for – sometimes, make some saves, you know…”

This and other gems packed into Bryz’ post game interview. http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=497054&navid=DL|EDM|home

Bryz video comes up right after Eakins.

5. icecastles says:

What a game to have to miss. From the highlights, it actually looked like a slightly dull affair and I think Eakins made a good point in his presser when he points out that in its way, that’s a good thing. The team has been so bipolar for the last few years… either they’re phenomenally exciting and have the swagger, or they’re a nightmare and look like they’d rather be anywhere but there.

Perhaps the sugar rushes followed by the sugar crashes are finally being replaced by something mature. I have always loved dynamic, offense-first hockey (Phoenix is one of my fave teams for various reasons, yet I can barely bring myself to watch their achingly dull defensive game), but the Oilers these last few years seemed like a teenager with his first girlfriend. No control, no restraint, and the load is blown before it was even near the target (apologies for the gross analogy… my girlfriend is in Winnipeg and it’s affecting my brain).

I’m digging this team that seems to be learning how and when to use it’s speed and skill. It’s going from a hip-fired machine gun to a sexy sniper rifle. Or something.

Okay I’m going to let someone else take a shot at the analogies. It’s not working for me today.

6. hockeyguy10 says:

Eric Idle ‏@EricIdle 1h
    Your thoughts and thanks for the life of George Harrison today please. A remarkable man, musician, friend, philosopher and humorist. Tears.

Can’t find confirmation on this anywhere else.

7. justDOit says:

Ca$h-Money!:
    …I was at the super series game last night, and by eye Chase and Khaira were two of the best (if not the best) players on the ice.Khaira was a real presence in both ends, great to see…

Thanks for that – I wanted to drive down from Cowtown, but couldn’t get off work early.

8. justDOit says:

hockeyguy10:
    Eric Idle ‏@EricIdle 1h
    Your thoughts and thanks for the life of George Harrison today please. A remarkable man, musician, friend, philosopher and humorist.Tears.

Can’t find confirmation on this anywhere else.

You mean this, from his wiki?

George Harrison
    Musician
    George Harrison, MBE was an English musician, singer and songwriter who achieved international fame as the lead guitarist of the Beatles. Wikipedia
    Born: February 25, 1943, Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Died: November 29, 2001, Los Angeles, California, United States

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hockeyguy10:
    Eric Idle ‏@EricIdle 1h

Can’t find confirmation on this anywhere else.

Do you mean that Eric Idle was a friend of GH’s? That GH died today, Nov. 29th (2001), or that GH died today today (wrong)?

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oh Jane Birkin… Oh Serge you weird, creepy genius.

11. thejonrmcleod says:

Hockey guy isn’t history guy.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That 4th line last night was magic. I found renewed respect for Jones. Put him in the right order and he looks ok. He can PK too.

Not sure why it took Eakins so long to figure this out. Let’s hope he runs with it.

“Heaviness” is more a disease of the mind than it is a winning directive in hockey. It’s probably in the same family as “Steve Smith.” Eakins had a bad case of heaviness. Looks better now though.

13. icecastles says:

hockeyguy10: Your thoughts and thanks for the life of George Harrison today please

He died in 2001. Today is the anniversary of his death.

14. Henry says:

Just caught last night’s game on PVR. What an impressive road game. Most of the Oilers played well, but the Nuge was exceptional on both sides of the puck. Some very good Nashville defensemen were playing nervous when Nuge was forechecking them.

15. icecastles says:

In commemoration of the sudden and unexpected passing of the most moustachioed of the Beatles.

16. hockeyguy10 says:

icecastles,

I’m an idiot.Read his tweet and didn’t think it through.Nice scoop by me 12 years later.You get to be my age…….probably one of the reasons why LT has a Beatles song up today.

17. leadfarmer says:

Going to the game tonight. Hoping for another 7-0 beating of the blue jackets. Wonder if they run with Bryz again or if they will ease him into more starts.

18. Hammers says:

The 4th line had over 11 minutes and actually controlled the play while on the ice . Talk about a wake up . Eakins needs to stick with this line other than the odd game when Gazdic can replace Jones. Arco should not get benched again . Hopefully Eakins realizes how much that 11 minutes was worth as it let his top 3 lines be fresh every time out . Most good teams don’t over play there top 2 lines with 20+ min but maybe 1 or 2 players get 20+ . Columbus will be pissed due to the 7-0 game so they better expect a different team tonight .

19. Caramel Obvious says:

hockeyguy10:
    icecastles,

It was actually pretty funny.

On the fourth line, I made mention last night about what a difference Arcobello makes. Jones had a pretty good game getting into good positions but he hammed up the puck plenty. Can you imagine if it had been Omark on the ice instead? Some games the puck just finds your stick. Jones had one of those games and didn’t do much.

Jones is a much better player than Gazdic so in that sense this is progress. However, he isn’t a defensive specialist and Omark is so much better with the puck. An Arcobello-Joensu–Omark line would be a legitimately dangerous line which would always get good matchups.

I must be giddy to be even thinking about such wonderful things that will never happen.

20. GordM says:

Bryz to start as per Oilers twitter.

I’m good with this…Yes, Dubnyk had a shutout against CBJ last time….but we should not forget the games he cost us at the start of the year which impacts what the coach/team owes him.

21. Andy P says:

I hope they don’t take their foot off the gas today and get whacked by an invigorated, hurting, revengeful Jackets team that plays like it’s G7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

That is too painful to contemplate.

22. Wolfpack says:

Agree that Nuge looked great last night but the player that really stood out for me was (by eye) Petry. He looked great last night in terms of his positioning and winning puck battles.

My concern is that Nashville did not play the Oilers particularly physical last night – might have had something to do with Nashville playing the night before. But the Oilers can really show their skill when teams play that kind of game. When the Oilers start to get leaned on a bit, it is almost always a different story. So my enthusiasm is tempered by the fact that the Oilers played a tired team with a goalie I’d never heard of before (not that their goals were not full value).

Very encouraged with how the fourth line played last night with a bit of skill injected. And Perron is such a treat to watch – he is so good at using his body to protect the puck. A very difficult player to take the puck away from.

23. gcw_rocks says:

The combined records of the 4 teams the Oilers beat is:

37-50-14.

Their average position in their conference is 13th (12.75 to be precise).

It’s nice to see the team win, but we need to apply realistic expectations to what it means in the bigger picture. The Oiler beat the dregs of the NHL and got spanked when they faced real competition. Which means this little streak likely means not very much at all other than a brief respite from the losing.

24. leadfarmer says:

25. leadfarmer says:

gcw_rocks,

Most of us know that a road trip through California will put this team back in its place, and the west is so strong this year that a very good team is going to miss the playoffs (eg Van is in 9th but would be in 5th in the East) but let us enjoy this while it lasts.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

GordM:
    Bryz to start as per Oilers twitter.

I realize it may be flawed for a variety of reasons, but the common wisdom of flipping Gs on b-2-bs makes a kind of sense in its own right.

But more importantly, I like that it is a “results independent” logic in this instance. Of late, Eakins has been overly-prone to trying to bottle magic and re-win last night’s game. While this has its own kind of logic it is also vulnerable to over-interpreting results and wild swings in approach.

I’d also like to note that DD has played very well of late and I’d want to get him back in asap (a b-2-b is the perfect time) to create the conditions for a proper goalie competition.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gcw_rocks:
    The combined records of the 4 teams the Oilers beat is:

37-50-14.

Their average position in their conference is 13th (12.75 to be precise).

It’s nice to see the team win, but we need to apply realistic expectations to what it means in the bigger picture.The Oiler beat the dregs of the NHL and got spanked when they faced real competition.Which means this little streak likely means not very much at all other than a brief respite from the losing.

This is both true and misleading.

All year the discussion about the Oilers has been about “how bad are they?” NOT “are they bad?”

Everyone knows they are bad. The real question is, “are they bottom 3, 5, 7, 9, or 11 bad?”

That is a real question. It is also a real question that beating teams like NSH, CBJ, FLA and CAL helps to answer.

If we beat those teams, maybe we are closer to the promise land. If we lose to those teams, all bets are off.

If you can’t register the difference you are using too blunt an instrument for this conversation.

28. leadfarmer says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Switching goalies on a back to back makes sense to not wear out a goalie over a season. Bryz should be far from worn out, plus with how secretive the Oilers are about injuries you never know if Dubnyk is at 100% either.

29. leadfarmer says:

I find it interesting with how many injuries the Oilers have had over the years, Cogliano is 15 games short of playing 500 consecutive games to start a career. Pretty remarkable to not even miss one game over that time especially with 4 seasons as an Oiler.

30. Caramel Obvious says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Hmm. My thinking on this has less to do with either Bryz’ excellent play last night or DD’s against CBJ last time out.

I tend to think that the general plan was for Dubnyk to play on Friday. However, the shutout forced Eakins’ hand. Which is why I was thinking that Eakins should have announced before the game that Dubnyk was going to play on Friday. That way he shelters himself from the inevitable criticism.

The psyche of the Oilers right now is vulnerable enough that it needs to be a main concern. Until the team has some sustained success it is going to be difficult for the coach to do things that open up space for criticism. Now Eakins has shown a willingness to do bold things like pull the goalie very early or the five forward power play so perhaps he isn’t thinking that way. However, if it were me I’d be saving my bullets for things I really believed in (like playing Omark on the fourth line).

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

For reference:

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    “He’s a veteran guy who had a great game last night… it was an easy decision.” – Coach Eakins on Bryzgalov starting again
    12m
    Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    #Oilers lines the same as well tonight vs. #CBJ. Ryan Jones says he was very happy with the game he, Joensuu and Arco played in Nashville.
    27m
    Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    Bryzgalov will be starting again for #Oilers tonight vs. #CBJ.
    2h
    Jack Michaels @EdmontonJack
    Front of end of back-to-back managed very well–being ahead for last 35 minutes helped. All FWDs played between 11:12 and 18:29 last night.
    Retweeted by Edmonton Oilers
    2h
    Jack Michaels @EdmontonJack
    EDM in midst of 11-game stretch where only CHI was playoff team last year and 7 are at home; Oilers 4-1 thus far….30-10-8 alltime vs CBJ.
    Retweeted by Edmonton Oilers
    47m
    Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    “Less cheating, more hard work and better puck decisions. We’re heading in the right direction.” – Perron on #Oilers play of late
    49m
    Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    “We need to get our feet moving early in the back-to-back and keep feeling good heading into Dallas.” – Hall on tonight vs. #CBJ
    50m
    Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    “It’s not something we practice a whole lot. It’s something you gain experience from during the game.” – Hall on 4-on-4 situations

I like Perron’s quote a lot! WG must be hearing music at that.

Eakins sticking with his lines. Let’s hope (outside of injury) he keeps them that way come rain or shine for a little while.

32. Andy P says:

leadfarmer: If Bryz plays fairly well this year, I wonder if they could keep both next year for under 5 mil as 1A and 1B goalies and ride the hot hand.

I would be very happy with Bryz as #1 and BTO as his backup.

But then Bryz collapsed in the Philllie playoffs and DD won the Spangler cup, so it all boils down to perception at the end, eh.

But you can see this team likes playing in front of Bryz, and I do think that DD has lost the confidence not only of his coach but also of the team, and will want too much money.

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

leadfarmer:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Switching goalies on a back to back makes sense to not wear out a goalie over a season.Bryz should be far from worn out, plus with how secretive the Oilers are about injuries you never know if Dubnyk is at 100% either.

I get that. That’s not really why I think they should go with DD though.

You could be right about an injury though. I have no idea there.

34. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Caramel Obvious: I tend to think that the general plan was for Dubnyk to play on Friday.However, the shutout forced Eakins’ hand.Which is why I was thinking that Eakins should have announced before the game that Dubnyk was going to play on Friday.That way he shelters himself from the inevitable criticism.

The psyche of the Oilers right now is vulnerable enough that it needs to be a main concern.Until the team has some sustained success it is going to be difficult for the coach to do things that open up space for criticism.Now Eakins has shown a willingness to do bold things like pull the goalie very early or the five forward power play so perhaps he isn’t thinking that way.However, if it were me I’d be saving my bullets for things I really believed in (like playing Omark on the fourth line).

I get that.. but the psyche argument goes the other way too…

Maybe this confirms the lingering thought in the team, which is certainly shared by Mgt., that the coach doesn’t trust DD. That could be damaging too.

And operating in such a “results dependent” fashion raises every decision to high-stakes gambling, rather than putting emphasis on the long game and the “process” (as Eakins likes to call it).

So, if Bryz has a bad game, or even a fine game, but one where some odd things happen and 4 go through him (like DD last game, when Potter punched the puck in the net etc.)… well, we’re in the same shit-hole of reacting to yesterday and not thinking long term.

35. Andy P says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I get that. That’s not really why I think they should go with DD though.I’m concerned about the rotation being a little too reactionary (same with the composition of the 4th line). I’d like to see some kind of thought process at work rather than, “let’s try to bottle previous successes”I also think it does a disservice to shelve DD after he has had such a good stretch, esp. on an occasion where one would naturally rotate Gs.You could be right about an injury though. I have no idea there.

But Rom, what would our record be if DD had his prior average save %? The difference between that and their present record is what DD cost the team with his erratic play. Someone earlier said that Bryz is a puck stopper and DD is a puck blocker. To me DD is the MPS of the Goalie world – looks good, shows flashes of inspiration but just never seems to quite get there. Doesn’t this go back to when he and JDD were battling for a spot on the team? IIRC we kept DD because he appeared to have more upside. I think the truth is DD has also showed that he has more downside, and the problem is one never knows when the bad DD is going to show up.

36. Numenius says:

gcw_rocks:

I agree that it’s good to temper expectations, but beating Nashville at this particular time is nothing to sniff at. They were 5-1 in their last 6 games, and that included beating Chicago, Phoenix, Detroit, and Toronto, all teams in playoff positions.

37. icecastles says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’d be much more comfortable to see Eakins stick with a consistent logic, than see him over-react to everything that goes right or wrong.

I would also like to see this from:
    - my boss
    - my government
    - my family
    - my girlfriend
    - Godot

I think the top four are doable.

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

icecastles: I would also like to see this from:
    - my boss
    - my government
    - my family
    - my girlfriend
    - Godot

I think the top four are doable.

39. Kitchener says:

Any insight into Bryz’s mask? Is it a snow storm? Minus 30? A polar bear in the woods?

40. bookje says:

With regards to Bryz vs DD for tonight, keep in mind that Kruger’s approach was to play the same goalie on back to backs and instead look for periods were he could give his #1 an extra long break. So, he would play his #1 in 3 games in 5 nights, but then put the backup in for a single game when they were playing 1 game in 5 nights. He did this up until the last couple weeks of the season last year. It’s unorthodox, but I understand the logic (that you sometimes need a long period of rest and healing).

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gregor makes the case for DD too:

citing ET no less.

42. bookje says:

I really like the white mask, I hope he keeps it. It’s been so long since we have seen it in the NHL that it looks great.

43. icecastles says:

Romulus Apotheosis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLNkbRvraho

Firewall at work and Lowetide is crashing my mobile browser again.

44. icecastles says:

Kitchener,
    bookje,

His kids are colouring a picture to go on his mask, he’s waiting for them to finish it.

As per Principe.

45. bookje says:

bookje,

That info by Eric T. linked in that article by Gregor on Oilersnation liked in the comment above by Romulus Apotheosis on this site – Lowetide, somewhat refutes any notion that playing a goalie back to back is a good thing – so Kruger appears to have been wrong with his strategy (unless the specific goalie involved differs from the trend).

46. bookje says:

icecastles: Firewall at work and Lowetide is crashing my mobile browser again.

LT – try other methods of posting videos (if there are any other methods).

47. iHockeyWpg says:

Two short handed breakaways by Sean Couturier this morning. Scores on second one, really nice wheels for a big player.

48. LostBoy says:

This is completely OT, but I found this article in the NY Times today kind of bizarre:

…so for all the talk of advanced nutrition and training regimens etc etc, it is apparently standard practice throughout the league to stock the visitor dressing room with a huge pile of greasy take out food after the second intermission. Heavy emphasis on pizza, and also chicken wings, sometimes inhouse hot dogs from the rink. It functions as the post-game hurried meal while they get showered and changed to go to the airport.

There’s a little bit of pushback – Derick Brassard says it’s not for him. Like, don’t get me wrong, I’ll eat pizza and wings until I can’t move, but it just doesn’t seem like, y’know, cutting edge sports nutrition.

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think it’s been noted here before: Nonis says shots don’t matter, quality of chances is everything. Carlyle seems to imply shots do matter…

And this continues the weirdness:

20 hours ago
    @markhmasters: Kadri on being consistently outshot: “I don’t think it’s too much of a concern”; notes teams like Pens will get lots of shots

20 hours ago
    @markhmasters: Clarkson: “Eventually it catches up to you, if you get outshot like that. We’re in the midst of figuring things out.”

That team is built by management and coached to lose the shots battle. Some part of the organization thinks this is the right way to play the game. Another part is vaguely aware this is highly problematic.

We have different problems here in Oilerland… but as Oiler fans we can recognize the signs of deep seated structural problems.

50. Cobbler says:

gcw_rocks,

So damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

So they won against weaker teams, I say we celebrate that.

51. Cobbler says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I sent Masters’ tweets to my Leafs friend earlier today.

The coaching staff need to at least get these guys speaking the same language. Regardless of the team message or not, I can’t believe there is any player, coach, fan out there that thinks consistently getting outshot is a good thing or that its not a big deal.

Some serious issues underlying that Leaf team and the cracks are beginning to show. That was such an utter collapse for them the other night. Not only did then not register a shot in the 3rd I don’t think they had a shot attempt.

52. iHockeyWpg says:

Bryzgalov gets the start as per Eakins.

53. Caramel Obvious says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

The Leafs are in serious trouble. The quality shot nonsense has always been nonsense. They have the second worst shot differential in the league.

I have watched them four times. In those four games I have seen the Blackhawks demolish them. I have seen the Penguins demolish them. I have seen the Oilers cleanly outplay them. And I have seen the Oilers outplay them but the Leafs make good plays to score goals and win the games. Of those games only the last fits the narrative and even then I say the Oilers win that game half the time.

The Leafs aren’t a good team. They have one great player and some pretty good players, but they also have a terrible coach that routinely plays the wrong players and has legitimate systems issues.

The Leafs have a big lead on a playoff spot but that is driven entirely by shooting percentages both for and against. Even if they have legitimately first rate goaltending and legitimately first rate shooters (Kessel especially) it cannot continue at the rate it is at. I will be very surprised if they make the playoffs.

54. Derek says:

I’m a Bryzgalov fan because he makes the internet do things like this: http://i.imgur.com/myMn3qK.jpg

55. Andy P says:

bookje: Thats because there is a video in it. It’s about the videos. The pages without videos work just fine on iphone. LT – try other methods of posting videos (if there are any other methods).

56. icecastles says:

Andy P: Or, ditch the iPhone for an Android or Windows phone. Have you seen those new Nokia’s?

The new Nokias are indeed damn fine phones though. And Windows Phone 7 is actually a fabulous OS with a UI that Apple and Android can (and do) take a few pointers from. Hobbled unfortunately by being late to the game and tied to a company that has somehow completely lost the thread of how the tech industry works.

57. G Money says:

Caramel Obvious: Even if they have legitimately first rate goaltending

The one thing to be wary of is that first rate goaltending can make a lot of bad things irrelevant. It can also allow a bad team to make the playoffs.

Just as bad goaltending can make a lot of good things irrelevant, and a good team miss the playoffs.

(Neither narrative describes the Oilers…)

58. rickithebear says:

when loking at shot locatio:
    we know that there is an average success rate. by distance from net.

A 505 measure of 2 seasons of starters tells us that
    0-10ft is 17%
    10-20 is 22%
    20-30 is 9%
    > 30 is 3.5%
    what i did not exclude from these is no viable angle shots. less than 1G out 100.
    Bryz faced 29 shots at even of which 7 were a non scoring angle.
    of these 22 shots faced
    45-50 5
    50-55 2
    55-65 3
    65-75 4
    >75 2
    the 5 viable shots from within 30Ft had a cummulative chance of 64%
    the other 17 shots should get 1 goal every 3 games.

on the PK he faced 4 shots.
    9 ft, 49ft, 53ft, 60ft.

include these and they should get 1 goal per game.

what we have not looked at is elevation of shot.
    was it
    1. in the chest. almost 0%
    2. on the pad almost 0%
    3. close to glove or blocker. low %
    4. over blocker side pad11%
    5. over glove side pad 9%
    6. 5 hole 17%
    7. between blocker side arm and torso 27%
    8. between glove arm and torso 25%
    9. above blocker or glove arm near sholder or above shoulder >60%
    that would be the next step in reducing the actual probabilty of a goal from shots faced.

we look at DD game against chicago.
    he faced 25 shots.
    3 goals were
    1. own goal shots go in 100% of the time
    2.PP goal shot at an open net with an oposition player laying on top of the goalie.
    >95%
    3. SHG unpressured break away with faked shot . and elevated shot on net over sprawled goalies.
    blocker side.
    would be interesting to see the % cause alot of Shootout misses with this move are: not elevated into pads, miss the net., glove hand side with potential to snag with glove.
    Best % elevated blocker side.

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: The one thing to be wary of is that first rate goaltending can make a lot of bad things irrelevant.It can also allow a bad team to make the playoffs.

(Neither narrative describes the Oilers…)

This is true but we have to be wary of it also…

Someone here (I can’t recall), said the equation for success is Shot Metrics + Special Teams + Goaltending

(I’d add shooting % to that list)

All 3 is like a unicorn, rare. More common is teams that either are good but not great across the board, or stellar at either 1 or 2/3.

What makes sense is that this equation is esp. true in limited samples like the case of an individual team over a single season.

The kicker is though that 2/3 are very hard to sustain and usually experience wide swings season over season.

60. G Money says:

Cobbler: I would prefer they win against the lesser teams like all other good teams in the league. For me its a start and not really a point that necessitates special sobriety.

So they won against weaker teams, I say we celebrate that.

GCW proudly wears the C&B poison-coloured glasses.

As for the recent turnaround …

My expectation at the start of this year was that the Oilers, with tons of talent but some large roster gaps, would be a mid-pack (middle thirdish: 11 to 19) non-playoff team.

A mid-pack team:
    - Beats the lower tier (20 to 30) teams handily most of the time
    - Loses to the top tier (1 to 10) teams most of the time, but the occasional valiant effort and/or good luck results in a win
    - Battles the other middle tier teams, with the winner depending on circumstance (fatigue, home/away, goaltending, luck), resulting overall in something resembling a sawoff

So far this season we’ve seen the Oilers lose handily to teams in every tier.

Plenty of excuses (new coach, new system, new players, injuries, goaltending) to be sure, but it’s frustrating to have to make excuses to explain a loss to the Jets or two to the Capitals, etc.

In the last handful of games, the excuses have started to dissipate. The players, coach, and system are no longer so new. Players are healthy. Goaltending has stabilized.

And thankfully, we no longer find ourselves making excuses. Beating up on bottom tier teams like CAL and FLA is what we’re supposed to do – and we did.

Beating up on erstwhile mid-pack teams like CBJ and NSH is a promising start and a good sign.

This is not about planning the Parade route.

At the start of the season, the cup was half-full. By game 10, it was dry as the desert, just like the last seven years.

Now there are signs that the cup is half-full again.

It’s about enjoying a half-full cup, not whining about the fact that it’s not full.

61. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: In the interim a team — like the Leaves — can find success relying solely on 2/3 if they are lucky. What doesn’t make any sense, however, is having a game plan to build a team reliant upon 2/3. That is tantamount to giving oneself over to the Gords.

Preaching to the converted, my friend …

My main point is that history suggests that good goaltending can avert the long-expected Leaf collapse for much longer than we think!

Or to paraphrase the old market saw (“the markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent”), the Leafs could remain winners longer than advanced stats guys can stay sane.

62. bookje says:

LostBoy,

With the exception of the mass of calories (not a problem for pro athletes) and the long term impacts of the cholesterol from the cheese and ‘meat’ on the pizza, its a reasonable food. For most of us, the calories are a problem, but for guys that burn 4000 calories on a lot of days, its less concerning.

63. GordM says:

Re: 4th line discussions…here are the regular season 10th/11th/12th forward (TOI/game) for the eventual stanley cup champions:

CHI – 2013 Hayes/Kruger/Stalberg
    LAK – 2012 Lewis/Richardson/Loktionov
    BOS – 2011 Ryder/Marchand/Campbell
    CHI – 2010 Ebbett/Fraser/Bickell
    PIT – 2009 Talbot/Fedetenko/Kennedy
    DET – 2008 Abdelkater/Maltby/Drake

64. LMHF#1 says:

bookje:
    LostBoy,

With the exception of the mass of calories (not a problem for pro athletes) and the long term impacts of the cholesterol from the cheese and ‘meat’ on the pizza, its a reasonable food.For most of us, the calories are a problem, but for guys that burn 4000 calories on a lot of days, its less concerning.

Really do miss my 17-year-old metabolism plus regular games/practice. My post game meal getting home around midnight was usually a Delissio pizza. Amazing to be able to eat one of those, go straight to bed and wake up feeling great at 7am + having gained no weight.

Romulus Apotheosis,

Yup, thrilled to death.

You can see that they are getting it.

You see that in their own zone play with the support and backchecking mostly.

I was very heartened last night that more than a few times the Oilers broke up dzone pressure simply by being in position and the puck finding them.

That never happens when you chase the puck.

Also,

Tonight doesn’t line up as well as last night for the Oilers.

B2B in 2 towns is always tough, but its only a 50min flight from NAS to CBJ, but you lose an hour, so pre-game nap really important today.

CBJ will be motivated from previous ass kicking.

Oilers just need to trust their system and continue to skate hard to be first on the puck and win battles.

Hall mentioned that the Dmen were making quality passes to start the zone exit when he talked with Gene after the 2nd period yesterday.

That cannot be overstated enough.

I wonder if N.Shultz gets a seat when Larsen is healthy? He’s the obvious weak link in that regard on the team.

Hope the Oilers win.

Go Oilers!!

GordM:

CHI – 2013 Hayes/Kruger/Stalberg
    LAK – 2012 Lewis/Richardson/Loktionov
    BOS – 2011 Ryder/Marchand/Campbell
    CHI – 2010 Ebbett/Fraser/Bickell
    PIT – 2009 Talbot/Fedetenko/Kennedy
    DET – 2008 Abdelkater/Maltby/Drake

Exactly.

Jones-Arco-Joenss looks more like those than Gazdic-Acton-Joensuu

Romulus Apotheosis:

And this continues the weirdness:

20 hours ago

20 hours ago

One hears coaches talking a lot about “zone time” these days. One figures teams and/or some of the propriety analytics providers are also tracking ‘”zone time” which is more difficult for freelance analytics guys.

Perhaps zone time or some combination of zone time and Corsi/Fenwick might have been demonstrated by a proprietary source to be a better possession metric than shot metrics alone.

And once one has zone time data, then potentially things zone start data, zone entry/exit data, and method of zone/entry exit become more useful.

I think most other data becomes more useful if one actually has zone time data.

One can’t help but recall the comment that Tippett once made about defensemen and defending.

Caramel Obvious:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I have watched them four times.In those four games I have seen the Blackhawks demolish them.I have seen the Penguins demolish them. I have seen the Oilers cleanly outplay them.And I have seen the Oilers outplay them but the Leafs make good plays to score goals and win the games.Of those games only the last fits the narrative and even then I say the Oilers win that game half the time.

If Eakins insists on matching Gagner and Yakupov against Kessel and van Reimsdyk like he did the last game, at least for another year or so until Yakupov becomes a monster, I think I would bet on the Leafs! -). -)

69. G Money says:

Woodguy: I think this game will be close with a chance of CBJ winning going away if they get lucky early.

Hope the Oilers win.

CBJ are a mid-low-tier team (I would say lower tier, last year was all Bobrovsky having a career year).

The Oilers are now in the process of proving to us that they are a mid-tier team, like most of us thought at season’s start, rather than the bottom feeder they actually were for about 15 games.

In a battle between mid tier and lower tier, when the circumstances line up in the mid-tier teams favour, it can be a beatdown (though 7-0 is pretty extreme).

Tonight, with circumstances in CBJ’s favour (home, Oilers on second of b2b, revenge on CBJ’s mind), we should instead see a hard fought battle. Winner comes down to circumstances, probably goaltending.

It’s Sky vs Ov.

I’m not overly confident, but sure hope Bryz proves last night was the start of a comeback, and not a first-time-back-one-and-done.

Romulus Apotheosis: This is true but we have to be wary of it also…

It was some lunatic poster. Pozzo, I think! -) -)

71. DeclanK says:

Caramel Obvious,

The good news about that is that Eakins is cloning the Maple Leafs coaching systems. There’s many a post about it; here’s one:

Though they are making small tweaks to it.

72. Caramel Obvious says:

DeclanK,

I see nothing in that article that says that Eakins is using the same system as the Leafs. Watching the Oilers and listening to Eakins I can only conclude that he is the anti-Carlyle in many ways.

73. DeclanK says:

OK

74. Hammers says:

Should have gone back to DD and played Bryz in Dallas. Hope I’m wrong but we loose 4-3.

75. icecastles says:

Hammers: we loose 4-3

Cherry was saying the team needs to play more “loosy-goosy”.

I’m fine with them playing loose as long as they don’t lose.

76. spoiler says:

icecastles: Have you seen the privacy control and interface consistency on Androids or the app availability on Windows Phone 7? Yeah, neither has anyone else. I’m glad there’s a budget alternative to iPhone (and hey, some people prefer Ford to BMW too), but I’ll stick with the real thing.

77. DeadmanWaking says:

A 7-0 reversal tonight would be like receiving a candy-gram from Vlad the Impaler. My eternal optimism is tinged with foreboding.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Oh Jane Birkin… Oh Serge you weird, creepy genius.

Jane Birkin’s love affair with Serge Gainsbourg

This is long, but fine read. By this account Serge was–at the very least–a charming, creepy, adorable genius.

Jane’s pet name when corresponding with her boarding-school brother–shades of The Royal Tenebaums–was Misspelt Munckey, later to become the eternal companion of a certain creepy, adorable, ex-dear.

Their adult lives contain surreal chapters:

When we left next day Speer blushingly asked if Jane and Serge would sign a copy of Je t’aime for him. Later I popped the question to Jane, who thought it a tad tactless to ask Serge, given his Jewish pedigree, but in the event he was only too happy to sign, doubtless relishing the irony. A couple of years later Serge made his album Rock Around the Bunker and gave me a copy to send to Speer.

Ah, the ironic kinship of tortured aesthetes.

Reminds me of another fine article from the other day: My First Mistake in which his boss sneers while his ears sear.

On Google, I was totally defeated in my quest to find out whether “encoffination” has ever been used as a mot juste in a non-ironic capacity. In this quest I was snowed under by the industrious dance macabre of popular counterculture; even with a dozen subtraction terms, I was still wallowing among the seventeen ball-spinning seals of ditties necrophilic. Picture a pristine thesaurus with its spine broken in six places, to dwell upon dark clusters ever more soddenized with malt soot and black spores.

One sentence from the First Mistake made me sore.

Each morning a new offering of corpses lay in serried ranks in the freezer, each body fresh from a hospital bed upstairs in which the late lady or gentleman had breathed their last.

Somehow I doubt that the mostly worse-for-wear meat popsicles were actually frozen, or that the word “serried” ever once crossed his mind as he popped open the frost-breathing maw of the crowded cryocrypt tumid with queasening queueies awaiting their Y-front zippers, before being shipped off for the long snore.

[The trunk incision] is one of the aspects of autopsies that movies and television shows get wrong, according to Dr. Ed Uthman, a Texas pathologist who has written a screenwriter’s guide to autopsies.

Turns out it’s a Y for the men, and a psi for the women.

Let’s hope tonight it’s not another morbid score.

78. icecastles says:

spoiler,

I was referring not so much to security in the classic sense of hacker-proofing as to the fact that in the Google ecosystem, it is important to remember that the end user is not the customer. Google’s customers are advertisers. Their end users are the product they are selling. The search engine, the mail app, the various OSes (Chrome, Android) are delivery systems.

Their entire profit model is based on gathering and selling user data. Google is great in many ways and creates some great products (and Apple has had its share of missteps) but its surprising how many people fail to note this very core tenet of Google’s business model, and its one that has considerable repercussions for the end user.

Microsoft of course, just wishes it had some mobile user data to actually sell. :)

Interesting factoid about Nokia/MS though: their mapping data beats the tar out of Apple’s and stacks up very, very strongly even against Google. The reason: they have a partnership with Fedex. Fedex’s fleet of trucks ping GPS location data literally millions of times a day. Nobody else has such a complete and frequently self-correcting dataset. Some analysts have suggested that as much as 60% of Nokia’s value was in it’s catalog of highly accurate GPS data.

Okay, I’m done geeking out now. Back to hockey. …and work, I suppose. Sigh.

79. LostBoy says:

bookje,

Well, yeah, obviously 20-something elite athletes are in a better position to hog down pizza than I am (I understood the main evil in pizza beyond calories to be the processed “meats”). And I get that there’s value in quickly reloading on carbs and whatnot when you’re stressing your body regularly at that level. But, like, could pizza, wings, and hot dogs possibly be the best option? It just seems backward that in a multibillion dollar industry where, e.g., they’ve changed their league-wide travel habits because of research on sleep patterns, that this would still be the standard post-game fare. The article did say that a lot of players basically ignore it, or only eat a bite or two.

80. Lucinius says:

Smid scored.

And Calgary is losing.

Win-win.

Also, Cogs with another two points in Anaheim (why oh why did the Oilers let him go simply because they refused to put him at wing!? Like Gagner he is/was not a center at the NHL level and has benefited greatly ever since he went to a team with the ability to actually put players in a position to succeed).

And speaking of which, Penner with another goal. He’s a player that really seems to excel when coaches leave him the hell alone to play his game. Every time he’s had a coach get on him about his style of play.. his play suffers horribly. Another player Edmonton should have kept or tried to get back — alas MacT always hated him, as if Penner had run over his dog or something.

81. spoiler says:

spoiler: There is no such thing as a secure or private cellphone. The OS you see and use is a slave to the Master OS that actually runs the phone. Every cellphone made has two OSes.

For the curious and the non-believers, here’s the link:

82. spoiler says:

icecastles:
    icecastles
    says: November 29, 2013 at 3:35 pm
    spoiler,

Pretty sure Apple invented the notion of a “vending machine” in your pocket. Also don’t think for a moment that Apple doesn’t use your data for gain. Or any other company for that matter.

Although it is strange that many of the people that complain about this stuff collect Air Miles or use Safeway cards, or debit cards, or credit cards.

83. spoiler says:

Woodguy: Woodguy
    says: November 29, 2013 at 1:19 pm
    Romulus Apotheosis,
    Yup, thrilled to death.
    You can see that they are getting it.
    You see that in their own zone play with the support and backchecking mostly.
    That never happens when you chase the puck.
    Also,
    Tonight doesn’t line up as well as last night for the Oilers.
    CBJ will be motivated from previous ass kicking.
    That cannot be overstated enough.
    Hope the Oilers win.
    Go Oilers!!

WG,

We were posting the other day about the support the forwards had been giving to the blueliners starting from the middle of the Calgary game and onwards…

Did you notice where Hall started his rush that led to the two on one goal against the Preds?

84. Numenius says:

Hammers:

85. icecastles says:

spoiler: Also don’t think for a moment that Apple doesn’t use your data for gain. Or any other company for that matter.

“A vending machine in your pocket”… I like that.

86. Wolfpack says:

spoiler: Pretty sure Apple invented the notion of a “vending machine” in your pocket. Also don’t think for a moment that Apple doesn’t use your data for gain.Or any other company for that matter.

Spoiler = Ron Swanson :)

87. danny says:

icecastles: I don’t think I ever implied such a thing. Apples and oranges (no pun intended). Apple (and most companies) collect aggregate data. Google collects individual user data. Google also sells that data to anyone willing to pay.

“A vending machine in your pocket”… I like that.

google doesn’t sell your information in the way you’re implying. They operate on a model where they collect your data, and use that intelligence to show you advertising from people that pay them to reach specific audiences.

I get advertising based on everything they know about me. Im fine with that, as I use A LOT of their free services. Email, word processing, cloud storage, spreadsheets, powerpoint… the list just keeps going.

If they were giving my history / data to 3rd parties that would be different.

88. spoiler says:

None of any of this is a secret or is in any way big brother conspiracy-theorizing. It’s all happily and openly stated by the noted parties. Of course when your product (the end user) thinksits actually the customer, different aspects of that narrative will be emphasized to different circles. “Don’t be evil” indeed.

“A vending machine in your pocket”… I like that.

IC, lol I know, I was pretty sure you know about all this… but are you certain Apple doesn’t collect individual data?

Wolfpack: Spoiler = Ron Swanson

Who is Ron Swanson?

89. icecastles says:

spoiler: but are you certain Apple doesn’t collect individual data?

For example, conversations which take place over iMessage and FaceTime are protected by end-to-end encryption so no one but the sender and receiver can see or read them. Apple cannot decrypt that data. Similarly, we do not store data related to customers’ location, Map searches or Siri requests in any identifiable form.”

“All diagnostic and usage information is collected and sent to Apple anonymously. None of the information submitted identifies you personally.”

90. Scotty LaDouche says:

spoiler,

Maybe you should………Google it?

91. Pouzar says:

I have no “bad feeling” about this game just like I had no “bad feeling” when we were up 2-0 las tnight.
    We got this sh1t. Can I say that?

92. icecastles says:

Anyway, let’s not totally threadjack this into a technology discussion. Gawd knows there are enough comment forums on the internet that are utterly useless because they are buried in avalanches of circular debates about 4 or 5 constantly recurring topics.

I hate when I see others do it, so apologies to all for heading down that path here.

Let’s get back to what the internet should properly be used for: circular and useless debates about sports teams.

And kittens.

93. Pouzar says:

icecastles,

Just wanna state for the record I think that kittens are cool.

94. spoiler says:

icecastles: “Apple has always placed a priority on protecting our customers’ personal data, and we don’t collect or maintain a mountain of personal details about our customers in the first place. There are certain categories of information which we do not provide to law enforcement or any other group because we choose not to retain it.

This bit sure doesn’t inspire confidence. I just assume they all collect what they want to or will do in the future, so I really have no privacy preference from company to company.

Anyways it’s game time…

GOILERS!

95. G Money says:

spoiler: For the curious and the non-believers, here’s the link:

Interesting turn of discussion today.

Seems like a bit of a throwback to the old days of microprogrammed machine architectures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcode

Then again, with rapidly evolving standards at every level of the stack of communications protocols, it actually makes sense.

96. icecastles says:

spoiler: This bit sure doesn’t inspire confidence

My Daytimer has never been hacked. Of course it’s also not been used in even longer than my Palm Pilot. (if there were ever an unintentionally pornographic product name….)

I have a good feeling about tonight, but would very much like a quick start by the Oilers. I think other teams can gain an advantage by coming out of the gate quickly, Oilers seem less likely to do it.

A change would be nice! #clap #clap

98. D says:

Man that PP was an eye opener.

99. D says:

Taylor Hall with the assist.

100. SK Oiler Fan says:

Nuge wandering there. They’re getting outworked.

101. GordM says:

D:
    Taylor Hall with the assist.

In his defense…it looked like he got a bit tripped (hard to tell b/c Sportsnet changed the angle)…then was cross-checked in the back while handling the puck on his knees. Both infractions were not enough to bother with a penalty…but IMO enough to absolve him from blame on the turnover.

Oilers aren’t good tonight. second game of a back to back but one would have hoped for more based on ths good showing last night. It must be difficult to call on urgency every night, but these are young legs acting like they’re tired here tonight to my eye (at times).

103. VanOil says:

Oilers aren’t good tonight.

I am not filled with despondency yet and they don’t appear to be either. That 4th line continues to look like NHL players.

104. D says:

GordM: In his defense…it looked like he got a bit tripped (hard to tell b/c Sportsnet changed the angle)…then was cross-checked in the back while handling the puck on his knees.Both infractions were not enough to bother with a penalty…but IMO enough to absolve him from blame on the turnover.

Looked at it again on the Columbus feed (NHL.com subscription) – missed the crosscheck the first time – so that’s valid. I think falling on the semi-trip is still kind of on Hall but he might be blameless. The Columbus crew is definitely calling it a turnover though :(

105. G Money says:

The Oilers have established a pattern of starting slow and finishing strong (independent of score effects). As long as they get some goaltending and don’t dig too deep a hole, they usually aren’t out of it.

It’s a habit they need to break, though, it has gotten them killed against good teams.

106. kooler says:

4th line getting some minutes…looks like a real line.

puck jumping….is that ice any good or they tired?

107. VanOil says:

I, like the Oil, am off to a slow start. Its an early game out here but that is not excuse. I will catch up Vodka Greyhound now poured

108. Rebilled says:

Missed the first. Wasn’t DD starting?

109. SK Oiler Fan says:

Wow, They’re mailing this one in. Lazy

110. D says:

Ryan Smyth – the cagey veteran!

111. D says:

That Oiler penalty box is getting full.

112. OilBuzz says:

Thanks Ference!

113. D says:

Yak needed to one time that one.

Lordy this team is out of sync. I don’t think I’ve seen a pass to pass to pass tonight. Absolutely addled. How can they be satisfied?

115. OilBuzz says:

Sure is quiet in here

116. russ99 says:

If we don’t stop dumping the puck, we’re not going to score, except for mistakes like the one that lead to the breakaway Hall should have buried.

Every time Hemsky dumps the puck, another kitten cries. What a waste of talent.

117. D says:

Really feel that tonight’s game is a defining point in this season. These guys HAVE to win tonight. Wonder why they’re not showing it.

What a miserable hockey team. Jesus. They are absolutely beaten and it’s midway through the game. Well, at least they won’t have to wash their uniforms.

119. SK Oiler Fan says:

so much reaching, not enough skating.

On the other hand, you have to like the Blue Jackets effort tonight. They also lack consistency, but they are at least putting on a show for the home crowd. If they hurry, might get to six tonight.

121. russ99 says:

Yikes. That blows.

Somebody should make an animated gif of all the faces Eakins makes.

122. russ99 says:

That dump was better – 4 Oilers touched the puck, but none of them had any possession, made a pass or took a shot.

Carry it in already, It’s obvious the dump doesn’t work on the road vs. bigger teams.

Beating a dead horse to death.

123. SK Oiler Fan says:

Nobody wants the puck. Aaaah, have to get rid of it before someone hits me! No leadership tonight

124. OilBuzz says:

Critical moment in the game now. need to score

125. rich says:

Man, they should just decline the penalty.

126. russ99 says:

Arrgh! They had 3 on two on the power play and nobody wants to shoot.

127. D says:

rich:
    Man, they should just decline the penalty.

Hahaha! That made me smile more tonight than anything in this game :)

FINALLY SOME FUCKING LIFE!

129. jake70 says:

Brutal man advantage.

130. jake70 says:

I think they like passing it around, I really do…I think they don’t mind if they don’t get a shot.

Haha! What a terrible play. BY EVERYBODY!

132. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Arglebargle… Lollygaggers.

133. D says:

Good Night. I’m going to go enjoy the rest of my Friday. These guys are an embarrassment to the city of Edmonton.

134. russ99 says:

Can’t watch much more of this.

135. kooler says:

Could be 7-0 tonight….

136. jake70 says:

I thought that if they scored at 3-0, they would come back, now Columbus will go into shutdown.

137. bookje says:

Another soft goal, if Dubnyk makes that big save maybe the team turns it around and wins!

Wait, what do you mean Bryzgalov….

maybe the whole soft goals thing is imaginary?

138. russ99 says:

Changing lines isn’t going to do squat, if they keep playing like this.

We should have a timer and record number of seconds after a dump where the opponent gets the puck.

139. Derek says:

Justin Schultz is playing like he got shitfaced with Hunter last night.

140. bookje says:

D: Really feel that tonight’s game is a defining point in this season.These guys HAVE to win tonight.Wonder why they’re not showing it.

You are probably correct.

They are not showing it because, by definition, they are a crappy team.

141. russ99 says:

It’s like The Three Stooges playing hockey.

Gotta laugh.

142. rich says:

Well, it was obviously going to be too much to ask for 2 good games in a row.

Ready, set, drink.

143. SK Oiler Fan says:

Sometimes I think some guys on this team don’t like their jobs

144. Halfwise says:

If Dubnyk got beaten high blocker like that there’d be some sort of meltdown out here.

Oh well.

Wish that interested and interesting Oiler team had bothered to show up.

145. russ99 says:

Derek,

There’s only 4 guys on the Blue Jackets roster that weighs less than Justin Schultz – if you give him 10 more pounds.

He’s being physically overmatched. The whole team is.

But Eakins knows best, and we’re going to continue to play the same way – even if that plays directly into their “rough us up” game plan.

146. gcw_rocks says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

So, what is tonight telling you about how bad they are?

147. SK Oiler Fan says:

will someone tell these guys that near the top of the league in blocked shots isn’t a good indicator?

148. Derek says:

russ99:
    Derek,

He’s being physically overmatched.

I’m referring to him wiping out 3 times in the 2nd period unmolested. He’s being physically overmatched by gravity just as often as he is by the opposition.

149. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gcw_rocks:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

So, what is tonight telling you about how bad they are?

Bad. Tonight’s version is bottom 3 bad. the last 4 wins were bottom 7 bad. so, bottom 5 bad at the end of the year?

150. gcw_rocks says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Sounds about right. 24th to 26th overall is my guess.

151. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gcw_rocks:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Sounds about right. 24th to 26th overall is my guess.

Hurry on Draisaitl!!

152. jake70 says:

Here’s a gift, PP in first minute….take advantage.

153. jake70 says:

Lol.

154. icecastles says:

Even Chanfeed has given up on this game… the reported Edmonton/Columbus link is showing the Minnesota game.

Are they playing as poorly as the score would indicate? I’m surprised… figured this was one they had a good chance to lose, but not 4-0.

155. Romulus Apotheosis says:

If we had a barely functioning PP tonight, this game would have been competitive.

156. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Does anyone else laugh at this “banquet” branding by Coors?

I find it endlessly amusing.

157. jake70 says:

Yay!

158. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

this again in time for the 4,000th PP.

159. SK Oiler Fan says:

If this team had anything going on the PP they’d be in this one, but a PP seems to mean they should leave their brains on the bench and battle even less for pucks. Johnson has owned the kids tonight

160. jake70 says:

Here they go, making it interesting. Tease.

161. icecastles says:

Cue the comeback, baby! Woo woo!

162. Cobbler says:

the game of hockey. Tonight know as bouncing puck or hack and whack. Blue Jackets have done an excellent job disrupting and controlling the play, but this is ugly hockey.

163. jake70 says:

SK Oiler Fan:

We complain a lot about the refs against the Oilers, and often justified, but they have been given their share of PPs tonight. Wasted opportunities.

164. Romulus Apotheosis says:

lollygaggers.

165. D says:

bookje: You are probably correct.

They are not showing it because, by definition, they are a crappy team.

Yep. That pretty much sums it up.

166. Ribs says:

Reid Wilkins ‏@ReidWilkins 5m
    Boyd Gordon left the game early; played just 6:21 tonight. No word on why he left early but he was favouring his shoulder at one pont.

Oh no! NewHorcoff is like OldHorcoff!

Seriously though, any injury to Gordon is a huge item for this Oilers squad.

167. TeeVee says:

That, folks, was a smaller team getting manhandled for roughly 50 min.

Lander scores, 1-0 Oklahoma City. Assist to Fedun.

Omark also got an assist.

Not enough corgi’s tonight.

171. leadfarmer says:

Critique from the live game:

Man did Ohio give up on their team early, only 2/3 of the seats were filled and thats on a Friday night game.

If Gagner is poor on the backcheck than Hall has absolutely no interest in backchecking. There is a reason he was a poor center. He cheats for offense worse than Jones did last year. I do realize that LT might ban me for this but L. Ruff was right to pick on him.

The Yeg line. Love them. Remind me of the teams that used to give the “rich” Avalanche and Stars teams trouble from 10 years ago.

Petry not a one or two, but sure is better than the rest.

Schultz. I know Woodguy has him pegged as maybe a Niedermeyer, but he looks like Green as a high mark to me. Not a bad thing just need better defense from the rest.

Bryz. just as leaky as Dybs. Meaning its not the goalie, its the defense thats the problem. Fans keep blaming the goalie as not providing the confidence for the defense, but maybe its the other way around. How can you be a confident goalie playing in front of that defense.

Eberle, I love you but you are soft. Oh so soft.

And dear Oiler fans, please don’t bring up the number of cups as a chant in an away game when you are losing 4-1. It makes us sound so Douchy.

172. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Does anyone else laugh at this “banquet” branding by Coors?

I find it endlessly amusing.

It is a smart take imho as we really did call it that years ago when referring to just plain Coors meant you got served some piss water down with fizzy water. They are running away from the disgrace that is the silver bullet. When Molson/Coors merged my friends and I were dismayed by the Bullet coming up and not the Banquet or the Gold. Sure the Coors family made the Koch brothers look like progressive fools but at least they made OK beer and as Albertans we could hardly avoid businesses run by reactionaries.

We really did miss the Gold or Banquet beer and used both names to distinguish it from the Silver Bullets the want to be Cowboys moving to Alberta from the East drank (Real AB Cowboys drink Pilsner or Drummond ). At least we had Big Rock because the only time I can stomach a Bullet is for breakfast (it tends to be left over at parties because real drinkers won’t touch it). I am happy they have finally brought the Banquet North, 20+ years too late, but pricing it as a premium Beer is laughable. It is drinkable and not watered down 50/50 with Club Soda but it is not worth more than Beer Beer in price.

This seems way more important than talking about that disgrace of a hockey game.

leadfarmer:

People get banned for being disrespectful, not for disagreeing with me. :-)

174. G Money says:

“Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.” – Said absolutely no-one anywhere ever about the 2013-14 Edmonton Oilers

175. Numenius says:

Hammers:

Numenius: Funny. I have a similar bad feeling about the game. It’ll be 3-2 Jackets, though.

Split the pot?

176. B S says:

Well that was an awful team kicking the snot out of an even worse team.

Columbus did not come to play, they were bored and uninterested the entire game, I mean it was shameful to even observe, no wonder the home fans didn’t bother to show up, only to be surpassed by the seemingly intentional apathy of the Oilers. God that was an embarrassment of a hockey game. Damn team shouldn’t be allowed through customs at the airport after that atrocity. Only two players looked like they gave a damn, Yakupov and Gagner, and that might have been a relative thing. Even Perron looked like he was cloudwatching the entire game.

177. flyfish1168 says:

Oil Kings on Sportsnet West. good game Moroz playing with Lazar. Few good chances. he is probably the heaviest player between the two teams.

178. leadfarmer says:

Thanks LT, Sometimes I feel like the only Oil fan to think that Hall is a very mediocre player. There is a reason he is not Captain.

leadfarmer:

Thanks LT, Sometimes I feel like the only Oil fan to think that Hall is a very mediocre player.There is a reason he is not Captain.

Oh, I’m still a big fan of Hall and do think he should be on the Olympic team, so we don’t agree. However, I see your point of view and he’s not close to being interested defensively this season, and that is a concern.

Omark (Miller, Lander) late goal gets the Barons to overtime.

181. flyfish1168 says:

Oil Kings 34 shots Lethbridge Hurricanes 6. Mitch I think has 3 or 4 depending how you count it. Lazar sure looks good

Moroz with a late goal and an assist, the goal is his 17th in 25 games, and a new career high.

183. flyfish1168 says:

Mitch has an interesting goal celebration

184. regwald says:

LT, totally off topic, except it’s music. Did you catch any of the live Garth from Vegas tonight ? I am currently working my way through his new boxset. Loving it.

regwald:

186. regwald says:

Lowetide: No, I haven’t. Someone tweeted he did a Don Williams song though, I’m very curious about which one.

Yes, that was me. Good Ole Boys Like Me was the tune he selected.

Just listening to his rendition of Mrs. Robinson as we speak.

187. regwald says:

LT,

Since I am drinking lots of wine listening, here’s the song list from the first couple CD’s of his new boxset. Feel free to delete to keep the feed clean.

Great Balls of Fire, After the Fire is Gone, Act Naturally, Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down, Amos Moses, Fishin’ in the Dark, Unwound, Good Ole Boys Like Me, White Lightnin’, Don’t Close Your Eyes, Jambalaya.

Black Water, Mrs. Robinson, Maggie May, Who’ll Stop the Rain, Wild World, Doctor My Eyes, The Weight, Amie, Operator (That’s Not the Way it Feels), You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere, Don’t Let Me Be Lonely Tonight

Act Naturally: My uncle Ross had the .45, Buck Owens. Capital, maybe 1965. I wore it out on a little white record player about the size of a bread box. Buck Owens, man. Love that guy.

Good ole Boys like me. Don Williams, saddest, loneliest voice ever. Love him too.

Black Water. Doobies! Great choice.

Who’ll Stop the Rain. CCR!

The Weight, The Band. The Best.

Amie, Pure Praire League. I had that .45

Operator, Jim Croce. His song Thursday is truly great.

That’s a great bloody song list.

189. regwald says:

Yes, it’s been a great listen so far. And that’s only the first two discs ! Lovin’ it. Not always the greatest versions as Garth’s voice has limits and these songs are some of the greatest. Wonderful to read the book and catch his view and attachment to the song. Was only $25 at Walmart. Great bargain.

I have learned more about music on this blog from you and others, glad to share my small view of the world.

190. regwald says:

Stumbled into The Band because of Robbie Robertson and still haven’t found a Greatest Hits type CD to add to my collection. They have some amazing music.

191. Alsker says:

Hate to change the topic, but on an Oiler note, do we really have to wait wait for KBlowe to leave before there is any sense of accountability displayed by this team/management? Was anyone actually playing tonight that gave a rats ass? Players/coaches included. MacT has to move atleast one of the chosen ones and perhaps Gags as well. Find some heart, and no please don’t ask kevin for his opinion on their character, he’s proven time and again he has no fucking clue what this means. Question is can a rookie coach demand the respect and cooperation needed to fix the most glaring problem we have?

192. regwald says:

Alsker:
    Hate to change the topic, but on an Oiler note, do we really have to wait wait for KBlowe to leave before there is any sense of accountability displayed by this team/management? Was anyone actually playing tonight that gave a rats ass?Players/coaches included.MacT has to move atleast one of the chosen ones and perhaps Gags as well.Find some heart, and no please don’t ask kevin for his opinion on their character, he’s proven time and again he has no fucking clue what this means.Question is can a rookie coach demand therespect and cooperation needed to fix the mostglaring problem we have?

I gave up at the start of the third to watch Garth, but up until then the only heart and soul guy I saw was Perron. He busted his ass and tried to change the game.

I hope the rest of the guys going through the motions took note. Maybe even Perron made a statement in the dressing room to embarrass a few of the passengers. We can all hope.

193. fuzzy muppet says:

So what’s the schedule for the rebuild now?

They are miles away from the playoffs. They aren’t any better. They make the same mistakes over and over and over. Their leaders take terrible penalties at terrible times.

Does it ever end?

I can’t take much more and they still seem at least 2 more seasons from even competing for a playoff spot.

What a disaster

194. regwald says:

Disc 3:

Against the Wind, Superstition, Sweet Home Alabama, Life in the Fast Lane, Somebody to Love, Bad Company, Midnight Rider, All Right Now, Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me, Addicted to Love, Goodnight Saigon

195. Romulus Apotheosis says:

regwald:

Good Gord, Man!!

Just get yourself the first two albums stat!

You’ll soon wonder what you’ve been doing with yourself.

The rest of the albums have some great tunes and The Last Waltz is a much watch, but those first two albums are perfect from top to bottom.

The Band was a like a 23 year old prospect that arrived in the NHL after being on a heavy boil in the AHL for years. They arrived right on time, in perfect shape, fully formed. Piss Cutters.

196. Bruce McCurdy says:

regwald:

“Music From Big Pink” will do nicely. A stunning debut.

Bruce McCurdy: “Music From Big Pink” will do nicely. A stunning debut.

Remains one of the finest records ever made. The followup wasn’t too shabby, either.

198. regwald says:

Oh, I’ve watched The Last Waltz a few times already, just haven’t gotten a CD into my collection. Love their stuff.

Newer Comments »