OILERS AT FLAMES G22, 13-14

The Oilers sit 4-15-2 this morning, the frustration is mounting and the quarter pole is a long way from the home stretch (let alone the finish line). The coach rode his top 3 lines even knowing an important game was waiting tonight, but the team itself at least showed up after going down 3-0 to the Sharks. The spirit is willing, but youth and talent are not strong enough on this team to overcome a team like San Jose.

No sin in that.

basinger

However, tonight they play the Calgary Flames and it’s very important that this team give itself a chance to win.

1. Play Dubnyk. He had an excellent game last night, keep it going.
  2. Play the Nuge-Hall-Eberle line together for the rest of the season. Go with what works.
  3. Play the 2nd PP unit first. I spoke to Tyler Dellow about this earlier in the week and the 1PP is just too predictable. Until they figure out what’s wrong, use the Yak PP and that should help the PP-PK GF-GA ratio.
  4. Find a 4th line that is useful. This is silly. The coach dresses three guys he doesn’t use.
  5. Put Arcobello back in the lineup and leave him there.
  6. Stop taking stupid penalties.

I know, easier said than done. However, these are just basic decisions the coach and General Manager should be able to make without the fanbase having to worry over it. The Arcobello decision is fairly typical of this season: curious and counterproductive. This team can’t afford to put one of their 10 best forwards in the pressbox, not right now.

Taylor Hall: “I’m just so tired of coming in here after games and having to give a reason why we lost”

principe hall

This hockey club will eventually string some wins together–they may have to make some changes before that happens–but it’s interesting to see the reaction these young players are having to the stream of losses. Yakupov handled it his way, Hall is handling it a different way, and the schedule makers have handed this club a life line just in time. I do believe that if the losing continues we’re going to see some pretty stark moments for these guys and that’s the number one reason why something has to give, and it should happen tonight.

Win tonight, and with Columbus and Florida coming they could be 7-15-2 by Friday. That’s still terrible but we’d be talking about good games in a row and the pall that has been cast around this team might see some sunlight.

basinger1

The Flames are 5 points ahead of Edmonton with 2 games in hand, and their Corsi for% is superior (47.7 to 45.8) but I don’t think they’re a better team in terms of talent. That and $2.75 will get you a cup of coffee.

SCORING, LAST 10 GAMES

scoring last 10Dubnyk’s SP is .894 in the last 10, only Nail and Perron have scored more than 2 goals and Gagner is a ghastly -10 (along with the young Russian) to lead the team. Hall’s numbers are the most impressive in the last 10 (because he missed 5 games and still posted offense). This is a horrible set of numbers for a truly gifted group of players. If I’m in Vegas, I’d bet on a spike on this graph beginning this week against the Flames, Jackets and Panthers.

Ladies, if they can get out of their own way, they’re heading north.

652 Responses to "OILERS AT FLAMES G22, 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. pboy says:

bookje:
    If Dubnyk keeps this up and Bryzgalov comes In strong…

You slut

2. bookje says:

Healy says dumb ass things.

3. commonfan14 says:

If you have a PVR and didn’t just rewind to watch Healy randomly shout out “twitter” while PJ was talking, well, I’m not sure we can be friends.

4. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Does anyone watch this CBC generated content? “Republic of Doyle”

Literally the only time I think about this show is during HNIC.

Oh Yeah! Republic of Doyle

One of its stars is a well known Irish character actor. It is a middling hit internationally and shown on cable networks around the world. It is most famous for reuniting all of Robin Hood and the Merry Men from the last feature film.

Like flavored whisky it ain’t art but it sells.

5. icecastles says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Ooooooh the German kid! Yeah I remember digging him at the WJCs. Nice pick. Hopefully he falls to 19th. Where the Oilers will pick.

6. OilFire says:

bookje:
    Healy says dumb ass things.

No doubt. That guy is a real waste of a chair. Friedman for the win.

7. gr8one says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Rieder

Speaking of…

I HATED that trade at the time but haven’t followed him much since, I see he;s 5GP for Portland with 5G and shooting 50%.

Sustainable!!!

The flip side, KK is 17 GP and 1/1/2 in OKC.

Still a long ways to go and a very small sample for Rieder but I still hate that trade, it was another in a long list of shit management did in purging skill for pugilism.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

commonfan14:
    OilFire,

Come on, you aren’t planning to tune in to see if that’s a real sea-monster on The Murdoch Mysteries?

Billy Wilder managed to fit the Loch Ness Monster into his weird late Sherlock Holmes film:

9. OilFire says:

commonfan14:
    OilFire,

Oh my god, please tell me that’s a real episode.

10. wheatnoil says:

Damn, the Oilers needed that one! I think every Oiler fan needed that one!

All you can do when you hit rock bottom is take it one game at a time. Good third period boys! Let’s have a few more of those!

11. Romulus Apotheosis says:

gr8one: Speaking of…

Sustainable!!!

The flip side, KK is 17 GP and 1/1/2 in OKC.

neither of them probably make it, but the upside on Rieder is so much higher.

12. Nuckout says:

Oilers win and Bryz shuts the door in OKC. Next two games against fellow basement teams. Capitalize, motherfuckers!

If Bryz is ready between now and the CBJ game, who the hell starts?? Do you keep riding Dubey and risk throwing off his confidence, or give him a night off and see if Ilya can deal with the bears in the forest?

Dubey earns one more start at home, then throw Bryz in there against Florida against Thomas. That way Dubes wont heff to be mad. Just please Bryz, don’t make Florida feel good about not calling you.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

icecastles:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Yep. that’s the one. Should put on a show in the WJC this year too.

14. lance says:

I caught the third period, I wanted to see what players do when they want their coach fired. Instead I saw something else entirely. Really I thought they were close to ending this streak against Dallas the other day, but as Gerta Rauss said, this could be a really important night for one specific franchise.

Eakins is treading on dangerously thin ice, but he’s above grade. How he rolls out the next 48 hours could make or break his career. If he can end that bullshit strong arm facade and be an actual human, together, just maybe, this crew can pull something off.

15. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’ve said it about 50 times… but MacT doesn’t make that trade. That’s a Tambo trade all the way.

neither of them probably make it, but the upside on Rieder is so much higher.

Ridiculous move and, while minor, a perfect summary of much of his trade/signing history.

I’m pulling for Draisatl at 10th overall or lower. Best realistic outcome at this point in the season, and getting a big center in the draft that you can let ripen for a few years in junior is exactly where this team needs to be now.

16. PunkInDrublic says:

For the record… UTMOST RESPECT for McGrattan.

17. Suntory Hanzo says:

Watched the first two periods, then watched some shows with the wife. Is there a way to watch the period, or would hilights do it justice?

18. bookje says:

Suntory Hanzo,

Cbc plays the game a second time (condensed) at midnight. You could record it.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RexLibris: My take on that move was Tambellini knew he was minutes from the door and decided to give the finger to the next man in by pulling a trade on an asset over which he had complete authority.

Kessy had an unbelievable playoffs right before that trade. And, Tambo is the guy that thought Smithson’s playoff faceoff % was really, really important.

Draisaitl could realistically go in the top 3 or somewhere in the top 12… it’s just too early. But, I completely agree, if we spend the 1st round bullet this year, it would be really nice to let them just develop out of the limelight for a couple of years. And, BTW Draisaitl is probably going to be a project despite how big and good he is.

in a similar vein I really, really hope Nurse is upset next Fall. “Sorry son, you’re not ready yet. We believe in you and you’re going to be here for 20 years, but it starts in 15-16 at the earliest.”

20. bookje says:

bookje,

Perhaps not if your not in Canada.

21. Suntory Hanzo says:

bookje,

Don’t have cable. Watched it online. Any other possibilities?

That being said, my neighbour could. Was it that good?

22. Caramel Obvious says:

I missed the first 50 minutes and only started watching at 3-2.

This thread was amusing. You all have seriously divided souls. Funny stuff.

Good win. Obviously though, what you think should not be so effected by results.

Of all the ridiculous criticisms of Eakins the one I most don’t understand is that his problem is that he is too tough. One, this is something that none of us know anything about. Two, why is being tough a bad thing?

So you delusional people who know nothing about nothing I appeal to you to step up your game and make substantive criticisms. That the Oilers lose is not prima facie evidence that Eakins is a bad coach. You need to draw a causal link between coaching and losing. If you cannot draw such a link you are not making an argument. You are venting. Acting like a child.

I say this as the smartest person you have never met. This doesn’t mean it is impossible for me to be wrong but for some of you it is impossible for you to be right. Learn from your betters.

23. G Money says:

Glad I didn’t leave… Ran into a buddy from Edmonton and he and his buddies left after the second!

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

What the hell is the point of Kelly in these After Hours segments?

Between an Oake and a Fern?

Romulus Apotheosis: .

Craig Button has Draisatl late first, suspect he’ll be third round soon. :-)

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Caramel Obvious: I say this as the smartest person you have never met. Learn from your betters.

never change.

27. Caramel Obvious says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I just did.

He’s not creative enough for that thought process.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Craig Button has Draisatl late first, suspect he’ll be third round soon.

Don’t leave me alone in a room with that punk. Everything becomes a potential shiv.

30. Hammers says:

Get real fans . we all like a win especially against Calgary but really don’t be happy with a 10-15 minute game . Basically our “D” sucked tonight , all 6 of them made bad mistakes . Perron’s goal was what we needed “LUCKY” .The best thing tonight was DD performance . The team we beat was picked to be 30th so as happy as I am there is a long way to go . QUESTIONS . 1 What happens with Lababs when Bryz comes up ? 2 When does Horak or Lander come up & Acton go down ? 3 . Where does Arco fit ?. 4 . Who goes down Jones or Gazdic or both ? When will McT get us a real “D” man ? HAPPY YES but lots of decisions to be made .

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Caramel Obvious:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I just did.

pants?

32. RMGS says:

PunkInDrublic:
    For the record… UTMOST RESPECT forMcGrattan.

Absolutely. Great story.

Woodguy: He’s not creative enough for that thought process.

You know, this is absolutely true. I mean it’s funny too, but true.

Doobie is .9375 in his last 3 games.

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: He’s not creative enough for that thought process.

“I’m going to get fired… hmmm… maybe a burrito?”
    “Mr. Tambellini, you’ve got a call!”
    “Eureka! A salad, salad sandwich! Wait, how can salad be a salad sandwich… oh. what was that Marg?”
    “You’ve got a call”
    “Quick, call Maloney we’ve got to get rid of salad… no Rieder!”
    “But, you’ve got a call”
    “But, I’ve made a call”
    “Who have you called?”
    “Maloney!”
    “I haven’t put that through yet, Mr. Lowe is on the line.”
    “Never mind that, I’ll take the Maloney call in my cube”
    “Do you want me to call Maloney, then? I don’t think Mr. Lowe will like that.”
    “Get me Commandant Lasard!”

and so on.

Lowetide: You know, this is absolutely true. I mean it’s funny too, but true.

“Deadine day, and I know we need a center”

“I should probably get a center with a good face off percentage”

“Who’s out of the playoffs?”

“Hey, Smithsen’s face off percentage looks good”

“Hi Dale, let’s talk about Smithsen”

*problem solved!*

37. dangilitis says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Did anyone else think yak deflected that puck with his skate instead of wideman? Yak would get first assist if that were true

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

dangilitis: Kessy had the run after the trade you give tambellini way too much credit. I think he was as surprised as we all were when he actually put up points

Crap. is that the case?

Well.. there you go. That trade makes even less sense now.

It is also true that I hold onto prospects too tightly.

39. OilFire says:

Caramel Obvious:

I say this as the smartest person you have never met.This doesn’t mean it is impossible for me to be wrong but for some of you it is impossible for you to be right.Learn from your betters.

I’ve never met David Hilbert. Good for you being smarter than him. I look forward to analyzing problems in your revolutionary new Caramel spaces.

40. dangilitis says:

Also wanted to point out first 2 oil goals were after bad defense on our end that we would have all dissected repeatedly if dubie hadn’t stopped the flames’ scoring chances. I know overall SPG is likely more reflective but these saves were timely! 3-0 and 3-1 at those times instead of 2-1 and 2-2 would have been back breakers. Yes dubie played well against Dallas and kept them In it with the 10 min pk in the 3rd but that 1-0 goal was a back breaker at the time . We need more key saves like that to take some pressure off the forwards and Dmen who are continually blamed for goals that an above average goalie might have stopped once in a while. Otherwise this team will remain fragile and scared of making a mistake that gets magnified that much further.

That, or I’ve had too much to drink (the first 2 periods were really hard to get through)

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

dangilitis:

But, Dubnyk doesn’t make saves when the game is on the line!

Perhaps the best 4:30 in the movies.

43. bookje says:

Suntory Hanzo,

No, it was only good relative to recent performances. Nothing outstanding actually.

44. Lois Lowe says:

Caramel Obvious:

I am going to chalk that comment up to alcohol or a failed attempt at humour, because anyone with a PhD should know better.

45. Ice Sage says:

Once more, lads, back from the brink.

and here we are, a bunch a 30-40-50-somethings trying to (re)vitalize some 20-ish hockey phenoms to become a team. Yeh, we know better.

I see the exuberance of tonight and, in that, there’s a gleam. This is not a defeated crew!

They are passing thru the darkest hour. They are learning how to corral momentum. The little things, the smart, small, conservative plays… and then, in that moment of chaos, of edge-grabbing, reverse-pivoting, indecision, talent will prevail

We’ve seen this before: LA 1982, Hartford, 1984, Dallas 1998-2001. But this is a new script., with the same finale.

Thank you, Calgary.

46. dangilitis says:

His list isn’t all bad. If the season ends today, Oil get #32 pick Oscar Lindblom. Just imagine broadcasters having to say “Oscar Klefbom sends a crisp pass to Oscar Linblom, over to Yakimov, cross-ice to Yakupov for the one-timer…”

Oh wait – Perron deal. Shit!

47. Rebilled says:

FUCK THE FLAMES

48. wintoon says:

Saw on ice leadership from two Oilers in particular tonight – Hall and Ference. Hall played aggressively and smart with the puck. When he was on the ice it seemed the puck was his. Ference made a statement that enough was enough when he thumped Stempniak.
    Biggest concern was the nonchalant/lackadaisical approach from Dubnyk early in the 3 rd period when he was almost caught out of the net by the Flames. Bear down Dubnyk.

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

dangilitis:

I like you.

50. gr8one says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Him trying to perform that thought process though… would make a great “Oilersland”

“I’m going to get fired… hmmm… maybe a burrito?”
    “Mr. Tambellini, you’ve got a call!”
    “You’ve got a call”
    “Quick, call Maloney we’ve got to get rid of salad… no Rieder!”
    “But, you’ve got a call”
    “But, I’ve made a call”
    “Who have you called?”
    “Maloney!”
    “I haven’t put that through yet, Mr. Lowe is on the line.”
    “Never mind that, I’ll take the Maloney call in my cube”
    “Do you want me to call Maloney, then? I don’t think Mr. Lowe will like that.”
    “Get me Commandant Lasard!”

and so on.

Gold.

51. prairieschooner says:

Kessy Reider trade was done because the Oilers knew that Reider was not going to sign.
    He was looking at the depth chart and did not feel he would get a real chance.
    I doubt the Oilers would have traded him otherwise

« Older Comments