OILERS AT FLAMES G22, 13-14

The Oilers sit 4-15-2 this morning, the frustration is mounting and the quarter pole is a long way from the home stretch (let alone the finish line). The coach rode his top 3 lines even knowing an important game was waiting tonight, but the team itself at least showed up after going down 3-0 to the Sharks. The spirit is willing, but youth and talent are not strong enough on this team to overcome a team like San Jose.

No sin in that.

basinger

However, tonight they play the Calgary Flames and it’s very important that this team give itself a chance to win.

1. Play Dubnyk. He had an excellent game last night, keep it going.
  2. Play the Nuge-Hall-Eberle line together for the rest of the season. Go with what works.
  3. Play the 2nd PP unit first. I spoke to Tyler Dellow about this earlier in the week and the 1PP is just too predictable. Until they figure out what’s wrong, use the Yak PP and that should help the PP-PK GF-GA ratio.
  4. Find a 4th line that is useful. This is silly. The coach dresses three guys he doesn’t use.
  5. Put Arcobello back in the lineup and leave him there.
  6. Stop taking stupid penalties.

I know, easier said than done. However, these are just basic decisions the coach and General Manager should be able to make without the fanbase having to worry over it. The Arcobello decision is fairly typical of this season: curious and counterproductive. This team can’t afford to put one of their 10 best forwards in the pressbox, not right now.

Taylor Hall: “I’m just so tired of coming in here after games and having to give a reason why we lost”

principe hall

This hockey club will eventually string some wins together–they may have to make some changes before that happens–but it’s interesting to see the reaction these young players are having to the stream of losses. Yakupov handled it his way, Hall is handling it a different way, and the schedule makers have handed this club a life line just in time. I do believe that if the losing continues we’re going to see some pretty stark moments for these guys and that’s the number one reason why something has to give, and it should happen tonight.

Win tonight, and with Columbus and Florida coming they could be 7-15-2 by Friday. That’s still terrible but we’d be talking about good games in a row and the pall that has been cast around this team might see some sunlight.

basinger1

The Flames are 5 points ahead of Edmonton with 2 games in hand, and their Corsi for% is superior (47.7 to 45.8) but I don’t think they’re a better team in terms of talent. That and $2.75 will get you a cup of coffee.

SCORING, LAST 10 GAMES

scoring last 10Dubnyk’s SP is .894 in the last 10, only Nail and Perron have scored more than 2 goals and Gagner is a ghastly -10 (along with the young Russian) to lead the team. Hall’s numbers are the most impressive in the last 10 (because he missed 5 games and still posted offense). This is a horrible set of numbers for a truly gifted group of players. If I’m in Vegas, I’d bet on a spike on this graph beginning this week against the Flames, Jackets and Panthers.

Ladies, if they can get out of their own way, they’re heading north.

652 Responses to "OILERS AT FLAMES G22, 13-14"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. TheOtherJohn says:

Romulus Apotheosis: The problem here is people are questioning how much credit Tambo gets for his draft acquisitions. You are giving him a lot it seems, which doesn’t jive with how most view the situation.

It also runs counter to the moves Tambo made during his tenure. His moves are a the moves of a GM trying to build a winner (esp. Summer 2011) and failing, not of someone trying to fail.

I think we’re all happy to have MacT take the praise/blame for his own body of work.

Lets let MacT take praise/blame for his body of work:

Perron trade: solid move. Gordon ditto. Belov, solid again ** see below. Arco was found by Tambi regime but given opportunity in training camp and delivered. Good solid work, 4 solid moves

Acton, R Hamilton, LaBarbera, Grebeshkov, R Jones, Smac, Gadzik, Ference and Joensuu. 7 meh moves and I’d call the last 2 ok. Joensuu has decent shift/mediocre shift, Ference 4 yr NMC. Years 37/38 should be a nightmare to watch. Belov can walk and may move to easier EC, less travel, 2 time zones closer to home and large ex pat Russian communities

MacT’s body of work
    4 solid (with Belov and a 1 yr and done very possible)
    2 ok
    7 mediocre……….

And then we get to Smid: does not test 29 team market. Trades for undersized 22 year old that can’t make Calgary and a goalie we could have had in the first 163 picks of the 2011 draft. Scouts recommending him today are same guys that passed on him for 6 rounds. And we traded a big body top 4 D for him. If he is not a #1 goalie that is a terrible trade particularly when all teams were not canvassed

2. TheOtherJohn says:

WG

Not a word about his business acumen. Smart guy, tremendous business sense. He just did not do mergers and acquisitions as a lawyer

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That was short…

let’s hope we don’t see him again until March at the earliest.

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    #Oilers have assigned defenceman Oscar Klefbom to the @OKCBarons.

Klefbom gets sent down. He’ll get his chance someday soon.

5. TheOtherJohn says:

Klefbom gets sent down. He’ll get his chance someday soon.

Agree with both you and Rom, want him to develop to fullest extent, master AHL, move to big club

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Nolan is really getting the puff treatment here. I hope he enjoys the small sample size of praise!

It’s a good story though and I won’t take it way from him and them. Still put it in a capsule, the knives will be out soon enough.

7. lazerguidedmelody says:

godot10,

Hope is only dangerous when it’s blind. MacT knows a shitload more about hockey than me; hence he receives my trust on roster development and Coaching hires until the evidence suggests otherwise.

There’s no evidence to back you up on your assertion that “It is probably going to get worse yet”. If the Oil are dead last when the snow thaws, I might start agreeing with you. As it is, this team needs time to gel.

8. toldyaso says:

Well at least bad seed gets it. Blaming Tambo for everything is why Lowe hired him. Laying down on the wire as someone else said. Lowe never quit being GM and he is still GM. To think otherwise means you are not paying attention or just sheepishly accept anything that comes out of the numerous presstitute mouths in Edmonton. The kids are now expensive and you need value veterans to support them. But in case you haven’t noticed. No decent vets will sign in Edmonton let alone on a value contract. Too many years and too much money for 3rd pair d like Ference is all that Lowe and co will get and that’s not getting this crew over the top any time soon. Lose tonight and Eakins is done if Taylor Hall wants that. Lowe should be escorted out the door with him.

lazerguidedmelody:
    godot10,

The Corsi/Fenwick close is sinking as the Oilers play more Western Conference games. Things will get better when that begins to stabilize and turn. In January, with a heavy dose of Western Conference games, we will know whether the bottom has been hit or not.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: I hereby nominate this song as the Oiler motto for next few months.
    I know I’m dating myself, but this song was big back when Katz was partying with Klowe, MacT, Messier and the boys as they won the cups so perhaps its also apt.

I remember this video from watching “Good Rockin’ Tonite” as a kid.

Good times.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TheOtherJohn: So either MacT was not rebuilding “in earnest” this past summer or made a lot of meh moves

I think the latter mixed with short timespan and limited options explains his short tenure so far in a bullet point (aside from the good things he’s done which you mention)

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Stauffer put Nikitin’s name out there recently. Tyutin is still the prize there.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

random thought: have the 3 NY teams ever been as dominant at the same time the way the 3 Cali teams are now?

15. fifthcartel says:

Does a Hemsky/Nikitin swap make sense? Friedmam mentioned Columbus wants speed.

16. Young Oil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Noted Mathias too (but not for the Oil… Matty said they were interested recently).

I would argue that someone like Dubinski would help the team the most. An ideal #2C. Because Gaborik is out for 3-4 weeks, and a UFA at the end of the year, CBJ is probably looking for a young, quality RW, like Yakupov or Eberle.

This might be a terrible trade proposal, but would Eberle+Lander for Dubinski+Jenner be a fair trade? Feel free to exchange Yak/Ebs, or add/subtract other pieces. That would make Gagner extremely expendable, and could be part of a package for a #1-2D potentially.

Then we might be able to climb a few spots in the standings and draft Draisaitl instead of Ekblad :D

17. Young Oil says:

I love Nikitin, and suggested dealing for him during the summer, but the season is clearly lost, so assets shouldn’t be spent on a player who will be a UFA at the end of the year. Just make a push to sign him this summer, as well as Belov. They played together in Russia, and would make a great pairing here.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Young Oil: Then we might be able to climb a few spots in the standings and draft Draisaitl instead of Ekblad

Now we’re talking!

godot10: Reversal of luck won’t save the OIlers from a Corsi close that is slowly sinking to 40%.Shot metrics are in quicksand, sinking, sinking, sinking.

The bad coaching is going to catch up to the bad luck.

Unfortunately I cannot argue with you on this point.

I’m just a fan and want the team I cheer for to do good.

Klef sent back down eh?

Too bad, wanted to see him play.

TheOtherJohn,

TheOtherJohn:
    WG

You’re right. Calling him M&A lawyer was wrong in the sense of what he did as a lawyer, but not what he did as a builder.

I wish I had that level of acumen.

21. sliderule says:

toldyaso,

When Lowe attempted to insulate himself from being fired by moving to President he kept his hands on the controls.

When Mact took over I thought if the new coach gets to hire his own assistants then Mact would be truly in charge.

When that didn’t happen the puppet master was still in charge.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m really curious about the Sabres’ D… how is it possible that on their active NHL roster they have all of Pysyk, Risto and Zadorov?

That’s like having Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse all on the roster.

How can they possibly trade Erhoff in this situation?

Nikitin is decent and big, but has been a HS lately.

I hope MacT doesn’t make that trade.

Lots of 4-7 Dmen on the roster already.

Also,

Went out for some fill in groceries and alcholic pain medication for the game.

Expected it to be quiet with all the snow, but no.

Safeway and liqour store packed, everyone just going about their business.

Living this close to the Arctic Circle is something else sometimes.

I feel like a Finn.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

sliderule: Mact has done some decent signings and trades but his title should be assistant GM .

Alternative Universe:

KL gone. Jim Nill GM; MacT AGM

The rest of the chips fall as they may. I like that. Forces MacT to earn his keep.

James Mírtle ‏@mirtle 24m

Brian Burke, Ron Francis and Kevin Lowe all listed as in press box tonight. #trades

26. justDOit says:

Both teams winless in their last 5 games – maybe this will be an entertaining game. Quite possibly, sort of, maybe.

Hartley mentioned that they watched video of the Oilers to prepare. I’m shocked that a coach would let his players watch that. No mention of if there was a laugh track layered over top.

Go Oilers. This is one of those rare games for me, where the family is out of the house, and the Oilers are on CBC – meaning I get to use my HD antenna for a wicked off-air feed.

27. RexLibris says:

I was going to watch this game, but I’m not sure I can. I can handle a lot of ugliness, but losing to YYC is just something I have never been able to stomach.

Also, I’m beginning to think that this is the point where the whole things turns.

A loss to Calgary at this point might be enough to break the spirits of those few fans still hanging on. A win and perhaps some more rope is given.

Personally I hope for a 7-1 win, the Calgary 1 goes to Smid.

;)

28. Romulus Apotheosis says:

James Mírtle ‏@mirtle 24m

Are they trading punches?

Romulus Apotheosis:

That’s like having Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse all on the roster.

How can they possibly trade Erhoff in this situation?

And he’s playing like hell tonight. Christ.

30. bookje says:

James Mírtle ‏@mirtle 24m

No trades. #barnfight

31. VanOil says:

Woodguy:
    Maybe I stumbled upon the Oilers company motto in the HJ song?

We’re not scared to lose it all
    Security throw through the wall
    Future dreams we have to realize
    A thousand skeptic hands
    Won’t keep us from the things we plan
    Unless we’re clinging to the things we prize

Pickup your game you are better than that. I will forgive you this time because the HJ video reminded me of a theory of my Fathers that Gretzky’s early season slump one year was because he had cut the 80′s flow. Look how far the flow has taken Jones for proof of its Hockey relevance.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit: I’m going to strip one article of clothing off for every goal the Oilers score, and put on one piece for every Flames goal. So if the Oilers are up big in the third, my apologies to whomever hacks into my smart tv and turns on the camera.

And if the Flames are up big, your family will come home to find you in a heat coma.

33. bookje says:

Is there somewhere I could bet that Smid scores. The odds must be great. WeOiler fans know it to be a sure thing

34. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje: No trades. #barnfight

No shot. dogbite.

35. justDOit says:

James Mírtle ‏@mirtle 24m

Man, if Burke holds a grudge, they could offer sheet Petry, Larsen, or JSchultz this summer!

36. jake70 says:

WG: I hereby nominate this song as the Oiler motto for next few months.

How about: “No one is to Blame” from HJ….not sure it fits though.

37. VanOil says:

After having the privilege of hearing Ferraro commentate this week I would like to extend a GIANT BOLD STFU to Glenn Healy

38. justDOit says:

VanOil,

Funny – most game day posts on reddit begin with, ‘f**k Healy!’. I can’t disagree.

39. bookje says:

Romulus Apotheosis: No shot. dogbite.

Woof woof, not bang bang!!

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jake70:
    WG: I hereby nominate this song as the Oiler motto for next few months.

How about:“No one is to Blame” from HJ….not sure it fits though.

How about this old standby:

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje: Woof woof, not bang bang!!

There are very few days that go by where I don’t irritate an acquaintance by informing them that their anecdote was the subject of a Seinfeld bit.

Romulus Apotheosis: I remember this video from watching “Good Rockin’ Tonite” as a kid.

Good times.

4 O’clock rock on ITV

Romulus Apotheosis:

That’s like having Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse all on the roster.

How can they possibly trade Erhoff in this situation?

If they follow the Edmonton model they can sell Erhoff.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That Ted Nolan story Cherry just told, all random details, impressions of things past told with no clear purpose and to no clear end, is why he’ll have that post until he doesn’t want it or CBC loses it’s hockey rights.

That was fantastic, weird and touching. Riveting and I don’t even know what the hell he was talking about.

VanOil: In honor of this comments section breaking down into a debate about all that wrong with Oilers fans because quite obviously it is all the fans fault. I would like to point out you are doing it wrong, you should not start singing along until the Oilers actually start losing the game.

Every Oilers should not cut their hair for the rest of the season.

Romulus Apotheosis:

The best of us. No fucking doubt.

47. VanOil says:

Read the dougtheslug comment on the Alberta place in hockey at the bottom of this Nation post http://oilersnation.com/2013/11/16/fgd-suck-it

Epic

jake70:
    WG: I hereby nominate this song as the Oiler motto for next few months.

How about:“No one is to Blame” from HJ….not sure it fits though.

Slow dance staple from my high school years.

Lots of necking to Howard Jones while wearing a bandana around my neck.

49. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: Healy says Yakupov is being discussed in trade.

Romulus Apotheosis: How about this old standby:

HOLY CRAP!

I was just going to look for this because I heard it in Safeway.

Weird things happening.

Good Juju?

I bloody hope so.

Bruce McCurdy: Well if Healy said so, then there’s no fucking way it happens. Healy is right about as often as he is quiet.

Hahaha. Bruce wins the thread.

52. stevezie says:

Lowetide: Elliotte mentions Nikitin and Oilers, but didn’t sound convinced anything would happen. Healy says Yakupov is being discussed in trade.

Discussed? Well I’m sure he is being discussed. Every GM in the league should be phoning about him right now.

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’ve always maintained that if you’re willing to accept Cherry for what he is, he is pretty good it.

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Simpson: “Clarkson hasn’t been able to score, but he’s shown he can take a punch”

the irony is he seemed to intend it as a compliment.

Remember when this was the unofficial Oilers song?

I miss the Solid Gold Dancers.

Man.

55. justDOit says:

VanOil:

Epic

Epic indeed! Makes that joke of a GDB look horrible!

VanOil:

Epic

Wow.

I’ll repost for those who don’t like to click links:

Here’s what’s really tragic.

This province is the hockey capital of the world. We produce hockey players like Vancouver produces street arsonists and Toronto produces ludicrous mayors. Do you realize that there are more than twice as many Alberta born players in the NHL than there are Russian born players? And Russia has 100 times the population, and twice as much snow.

Alberta has produced Hart, Norris, and Vezina trophy winners. Alberta born players captain three NHL teams. The next big thing in hockey, 15 year old Tyler Benson, is from Alberta. He shattered the Alberta Bantam scoring record last year. The record he broke belonged to Joffrey Lupul. And whose record did Lupul break? Jerome Inginla’s. This province breeds excellence in hockey.

In the 1980′s our professional teams reflected that. For eight (that is EIGHT!) straight years an Alberta team was in the Stanley Cup final, winning 6 times. Alberta owned the NHL in the 1980′s. Alberta was called Death Valley for eastern teams making their swing through here.

We have the most loyal, rabid, knowledgable hockey fans in the NHL. And that is because most of us have played the game, coached our kids, got up at 5:30 to clear the outdoor rinks or to drive to 6 a.m. practices. We live, breathe and die for the game.

The Battle of Alberta used to mean something. It used to mean the battle for supremacy of the NHL. Which used to mean, when Edmonton played Calgary back in the 1980′s, it was to determine who was the best Hockey Club in the world. Yes. The World.

So now, as we prepare for tonight’s tilt, between two bottom feeders with nothing at stake but the title of least worst “professional”team in the NHL, it makes me mad and sad. Ignorance, arrogance, cronyism, breathtaking stupidity, yeah they’re all to blame for our plight. We’ve been over it all so many times I can’t bear to rehash the reasons for this disgrace.

I just think it didn’t have to be this way. It shouldn’t be like this. None of us, North and South, Flame or Oiler, deserve this.

*standing slow clap*

57. justDOit says:

Woodguy:
    Remember when thiswas the unofficial Oilers song?

I miss the Solid Gold Dancers.

Man.

They served a purpose before the internet came along, that’s for sure!

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    Remember when thiswas the unofficial Oilers song?

I miss the Solid Gold Dancers.

Man.

Ha… their bass player has a “stick”:

Best used here:

Also… since it’s BOA night… remember this?:

59. pboy says:

Woodguy:
    Remember when thiswas the unofficial Oilers song?

I miss the Solid Gold Dancers.

Man.

Holy sweet fuck. I remember that song but I’ve never seen this before. I think I went into shock for a bit but once the guy got in front of his piano and started dance-singing, I snapped out of it. If it was for video evidence like this, you would never convince me that the 80′s happened.

60. VanOil says:

Woodguy:
    Remember when thiswas the unofficial Oilers song?

I miss the Solid Gold Dancers.

Man.

My roommates and I once went as the Solid Gold Dancers for Halloween. Fortunately they had the bodies for it, my outfit was more ironic and dancing more unfortunate.

61. TheOtherJohn says:

Lowetide: It’s true. He’s wearing fucking DRAPES and he’s telling stories and the troops love him. The ONE reason I don’t spend every day talking about his bigotry is that Don Cherry loves the troops. And that my friends is the best thing about him by a mile.

The best of us. No fucking doubt.

And astonishingly women’s hockey. Early and strong supporter

62. docweb says:

Woodguy: Wow.

I’ll repost for those who don’t like to click links:

Here’s what’s really tragic.

*standing slow clap*

</blockquote

Wow and Wow

Brings a tear to me eye,

Where is that Crown Royal anyway?

63. bookje says:

Woodguy: Slow dance staple from my high school years.

Lots of necking to Howard Jones while wearing a bandana around my neck.

Does ‘necking’ still exist, or did it go the way of the bandana?

bookje: Does ‘necking’ still exist, or did it go the way of the bandana?

Necking was awesome.

Surprised I didn’t explode.

Bandanas helped hide hickeys too.

Save second base. THE best slogan this century.

TheOtherJohn: And astonishingly women’s hockey. Early and strong supporter

Agreed. He has a very good heart. Head is crazy as a loon, though.

67. bookje says:

The 80s were an interesting time to grow up as a teen. It was the last decade where you could know every song ‘out there’ and every hit song ever recorded. There’s too much music to do this now.

Khabby gets pulled after letting in 2 of 8 shots in the first.

Maybe he went down with injury, don’t know by Crawford faced the last 2 shots in the first.

What in on Gord’s Green Grass was Bowman thinking?

Perfect place to sell Bryz at the deadline if Bowman doesn’t fix it by then.

Tampa Bay, leading the Eastern Conference, got 4 shots in the first against PHX.

3-0 PHX in the 2nd.

Shots 16-5

70. bookje says:

Woodguy:

3-0 PHX in the 2nd.

Shots 16-5

I wish we were the Pheonix Coyotes

Hangs head in despair

71. VanOil says:

As I can not stomach watching the leaves win my mind wandered. Perusing local affairs I came across my local consul is now defending me and the unwashed mass from the horrors of the Door Knob. Henceforth Door Knobs are banned in Vancouver and are stricken from the building code.

Predictions are that our local crusade against this most first world of problems is likely to sweep the nation and the world. We just choose to be on the bleeding edge of such problems. My head hurts from all the knob jokes circulating and trying to relate them to the Oilers but I can’t get past the central premise of why is this is something that needs to be regulated.

I can’t imagine why some people feel the left coast is just a little right of Narnia.

72. Rondo says:

Funny comment on Oil Nation

Kevin Lowe : I know winning

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

73. jake70 says:

Woodguy: Slow dance staple from my high school years.

Lots of necking to Howard Jones while wearing a bandana around my neck.

Ha!…nice.

74. bookje says:

Woodguy,

Yep, I was there (not likely the same place, rather the time period). I’m 42 now so, wait … I’m 43 – damn I just realized that – I’ve been 43 for four months. Stupid 40+ brain can’t even remember how old I am. I blame all that crappy 80s music! Thank God for the Ramones, Sex pistols and the Clash or it would have All been a waste! Now where was I. Oh yeah I was talking about being old enough to remember necking at high school dances. I’m 42 now, so I remember it well.

75. wheatnoil says:

#Oilers recall forward Mark Arcobello from @OKCBarons.— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) November 17, 2013

Well… that was thankfully brief.

76. Tarkus says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Ha… their bass player has a “stick”:

Best used here:

I just knew that Chapman Stick clip was gonna feature Tony Levin.

Go Oilers!

bookje: I wish we were the Pheonix Coyotes

Hangs head in despair

Not one forward in the top 9 under 6’0.

Top 9 forwards via TOI/gm for PHX:

Shane Doan 6’1″ 223lbs
    Mike Ribeiro 6’0″ 177lbs
    Antoine Vermette 6’1″ 198lbs
    Mikkel Boedker 6’0″ 211lbs
    Martin Hanzal 6’6″ 230lbs
    Radim Vrbata 6’1″ 194lbs
    Lauri Korpikoski 6’1″ 205lbs
    David Moss 6’4″ 210lbs
    Rob Klinkhammer 6’3″ 220lbs

Built for the Western Conference.

Smart GM too.

78. theres oil in virginia says:

STL Blues, up 2-0 over CAR Hurricanes late in the second, just gave up 2 SH goals on the same PP!

2-2 end of 2nd.

79. justDOit says:

Woodguy,

Gotta love Klinkhammer!

So MacT gave Ryan Jones $1.5MM this year.

Months later Mason Raymond gets a PTO with the Leafs and signs for $1.0MM

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

theres oil in virginia:

2-2 end of 2nd.

Is Dan Cloutier in net?

justDOit:
    Woodguy,

Gotta love Klinkhammer!

Korpikoski is an awesome Finn with a Polish name.

83. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    So MacT gave Ryan Jones $1.5MM this year.

Months later Mason Raymond gets a PTO with the Leafs and signs for $1.0MM

I thought we said we wouldn’t bring this up anymore?

Also, that shot was weird.

84. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I thought we said we wouldn’t bring this up anymore?

Also, that shot was weird.

7 goals on the year.

Woodguy:
    So MacT gave Ryan Jones $1.5MM this year.

Months later Mason Raymond gets a PTO with the Leafs and signs for $1.0MM

I think the Raymond was a gent’s agreement, but fair point.

86. Brackenburied says:

Bay City Rollers……no.

87. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Where’d this Calgary jersey come from?

And that shoulder crest looks suspiciously commie.

88. Brackenburied says:

Man those Flames jerseys are ugly.

89. Halfwise says:

theres oil in virginia:

2-2 end of 2nd.

Mike Zuke had 2 shorties in 12 seconds for the WHA Oilers. I had hope in those days too.

Belov taking 1LD displacing Ferrence.

Good.

Hope he does well.

91. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I thought we said we wouldn’t bring this up anymore?

Also, that shot was weird.

Deflected off of Myers? stick.

92. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rick Ball!!!!

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Rick Ball!!!!

I said the same thing. Thank GOD for Rick Ball.

94. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

When I took the ferry from Stockholm to Finland some dude on the boat pointed out Lauri Korpikoski’s appartment building (summer place). It looked pretty nice.

Brackenburied:
    Man those Flames jerseys are ugly.

Yes. Yes they are.

95. justDOit says:

That was a weird version of our anthem.

96. Romulus Apotheosis says:

good start!

pffft

Oilers look like they’re out on the ledge of the Empire State.

Again.

Le fuke.

98. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, was Larsen the guy that was injured?

99. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oilers look like they’re out on the ledge of the Empire State.

In “An Affair to Remember” kind of way?

100. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Marco Roy with 3 more assists tonight! what a find.

Moroz with another goal so far.

Romulus Apotheosis: In “An Affair to Remember” kind of way?

Yes, quite.

102. VanOil says:

So if I understand it right the Oilers paper transaction of sending Arco down so they could recall Kelfbom resulted in the following:

Kelfbom could not make it to EDM in time to fill in on a team lousy with lousy defensemen but not enough fit ones on its NHL roster.

Cost Arco a day of NHL pay.

Allowed the Oilers to Ice a big tough 4th line that was not fit to play in the NHL, so didn’t.

And in a because winter storms in AB are almost unheard of they could not get Arco down to Calgary in time to play tonight.

Am I missing anything?

103. Lucinius says:

Smid isn’t wearing #5!? Calgary needs to be nuked.

Still hope Smid scores a hat trick in a 4-3 Oiler win.

104. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, no interference on Backlund there?

Romulus Apotheosis:
    So, no interference on Backland there?

I have no problem with Backland’s hit.

Gagner was digging so it’s plausible he touched the puck and was fair game for a check.

I like that 89 stayed with him as his check that shift and broke up a pass low because of it.

106. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Where did that Smid outlet pass come from?

(mind you there was no pressure on)

107. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: I have no problem with Backland’s hit.

Fair read.

108. VanOil says:

Harvey may not be a Corgi but the Oilers possession numbers are a dog’s breakfast.

109. Romulus Apotheosis says:

lordy.

Oilers are terrible. Just terrible. This is basic, basic hockey.

111. OilClog says:

How is arcobello not playing?! This is ludicrous. Who would play Acton, Gazdic or Joenssu over Arco?! Bullshit coaching.

112. cmcousine says:

Do we look as bad as I think we do? Good grief!

113. Lucinius says:

Sigh, Larsen.

Play the god damn pass. God damn. This is Hockey 101 stuff.

114. VanOil says:

I am sure glad we won the last two meaningless games last year so we finished ahead of Calgary.

115. nelson88 says:

#3 on the Flames has had more clear exits out of his zone then the entire Oilers team.

Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. I’m glad MacT is happy with his coaching.

116. hunter1909 says:

RNH gets stripped of the puck and Monahan scores a beauty of a goal.

Eakins looks happy.

117. hunter1909 says:

hahahaha Gadkics Huggy Bear!

118. Pablo Aimar says:

10-2 shots. Man, this must be the least talented roster of players ever assembled because Eakins is doing a GREAT job and they are still total garbage.

119. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, knee on knee is the new shoulder.

120. hunter1909 says:

This game is getting fun to watch.

121. TheOtherJohn says:

Calgary is gonna learn just how tough it is to compete while you are terrible

Expect everyone is going to periodically update SF/SA … ok no we won’t

122. VanOil says:

Belov with the dreaded Pubis pull.

123. Brackenburied says:

Lucinius:
    Smid isn’t wearing #5!? Calgary needs to be nuked.

Still hope Smid scores a hat trick in a 4-3 Oiler win.

She hates the Flames but still cheers every move he makes.

124. Romulus Apotheosis says:

How many of these knee on knees have been penalties?

any?

125. hunter1909 says:

I remember Monahan being touted as a possible 1st overall, so as an Oilers fan I naturally half expected him to join Lowe’s Losers.

Is Ference playing?

Saw him once but 77 was shifting with 36 and 2.

Now he’s down due to a kneeing.

What the fuck is going on with all the kneeing against the Oilers?

Have watched hockey for over 30 years and don’t recall seeing some many knees.

Off course you get many, many more games and camera angles, but still seems like a lot.

127. Romulus Apotheosis says:

She hates the Flames but still cheers every move he makes.

Your daughter is an inspiration to us all.

128. Nuckout says:

Good tilt, and I love the good natured “atta boy” from both guys at the end.

Eakins not playing Arco? More size based matchups? Because that’s totally working, isn’t it Dallas.

So, does Eakins find it necessary to speak to his players in between periods?

These losses aren’t based on bad luck, they’re based on bad coaching decisions and shoddy play…. due to bad coaching.

129. Nuckout says:

Brackenburied: Watching with my daughter. She’s wearing her Smid jersey. What if he scores Dad? What if he gets a hat trick? If he fights who do you think he’ll fight?She hates the Flames but still cheers every move he makes.

130. hunter1909 says:

Dubnyk looks like he caught the puck with his ass cheeks on that last shot.

131. bookje says:

Lardons flaws are starting to really show.

132. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, did Belov come back just to tip the puck to DD?

Anyway, ecstatic he’s back… just don’t tip Flame shots.

133. VanOil says:

Nuckout,

Arco is not playing because they recalled him too late today to make the trip to Calgary in the storm according to the broadcast.

well I try not to be blood thirsty, but kudos to Ference. Oilers probably lose this game by a touchdown, but there’s got to be some kind of reaction to all this bullshit.

135. bookje says:

The captain getting a instigator? Nothing wrong with that hit.

136. Nuckout says:

VanOil,

Alright then. At least he’s not having an extended OKC stay.

137. hunter1909 says:

Ference is a maniac.

138. Brackenburied says:

Nuckout: Love it. I feel bad for the junior Oilers fans, they don’t realize just how crappy they have it.

You said it, she doesn’t realize. I envy her.

139. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Your daughter is an inspiration to us all.

Thanks

140. bookje says:

I don’t understand how Hall, Hopkins, and Eberle can’t run around Calgary. Last year that line was as good as any in the league (close anyway).

I think the coach and GM think they are burning out the rot and that it’s deep. I think they might be 16th century monks and are needlessly killing the parient.

141. leadfarmer says:

Monahan has more goals on the season than Eberle, Yakupov and Gagner combined. Continue with the suckage

142. Nuckout says:

Brackenburied: You said it, she doesn’t realize. I envy her.

143. VanOil says:

Nuckout:
    VanOil,

Alright then. At least he’s not having an extended OKC stay.

Yes it is better than still being in OKC but far from Alright. It is banana republic man management.

144. bookje says:

If you were an objective viewer of this team, you would have to think that the have given up on the coach.

145. bookje says:

Nuckout: My 6 year old daughter makes it a point to cheer for whoever the Oil are playing. Last year I bought her Oil PJ’s. She won’t wear them. She’s smarter than I thought.

I won’t let my kids near the game. Too great of a risk they could end up as Oiler fans. I feel it’s important to protect them from what I have had to go through!

146. hunter1909 says:

Ference with the best fight I’ve seen in a dog’s age.

Ference is one of those dudes who likes a good clean game of hockey, and is prepared to go prison lunchtime mental on any prick who doesn’t – he’s great.

He really killed that Flame. He just murdered him, lol.

147. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje:
    Lardons flaws are starting to really show.

I tried a “Lardon Flaw” once… don’t recommend it.

The Oilers best players are not their best players. I don’t know where the switch for that is located, but man these guys are just daydreaming.

149. Minister D- says:

Fitting that the Oilers are getting schooled by a team wearing glorified beer league jerseys.

150. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Nuckout:
    VanOil,

Alright then. At least he’s not having an extended OKC stay.

He never even went there. Paper transaction.

151. cmcousine says:

My kids favourite teams are Montreal, San Jose and Pittsburgh. What’s wrong with me?

152. VanOil says:

bookje:
    If you were an objective viewer of this team,you would have to think that the have given up on the coach.

Are you sure its not one rookie player alone that is out to kill the coach?

153. Nuckout says:

hunter1909: Ference with the best fight I’ve seen in a dog’s age. Ference is one of those dudes who like to play a good clean game of hockey, and is prepared to go prison lunchtime mental on any prick who doesn’t – he’s great.

You sir, have said the first official positive thing about Ference ever on this site.

Good on ya.

154. Lucinius says:

So, I see Cherry remains a racist twat. When Stamkos was struggling early in his career Cherry went to the wall defending the good Canadian kid. When Ovechkin was struggling Cherry pronounced him finished as an NHLer and that he should go back home to the KHL. Yak struggles and its all ‘told ya you needed to straighten him out!’.

Couldn’t be that our coaching is poor. All of our offensive players are struggling now and I, personally, think a decent amount of it is the Eakins imposed system.

155. hunter1909 says:

They’re not choirboys. When any of them get hurt, it’s not quite the same as a penguin being fed to the crocs by a skinhead at the zoo.

156. cmcousine says:

157. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: He never even went there. Paper transaction.

He never went because there is no flight from YEG to OKC on Friday nights. Just like there is no way to make Calgary in a winter storm.

158. bookje says:

I think they are hoping their next coach is more like Krueger. I think they could have really bought in to Eakins style if the team were winning half or more of the games, but the hard core attitude with no wins – they have given up.

I still think if the goalie had stood on his head for the first three weeks, the team may have really bought in and had success.

Maybe a trade or Bryzgalov will be enough of a spark – maybe not.

159. Romulus Apotheosis says:

In the midst of that peyote dream we lost the “play good” switch and stumbled onto that enchanted dogwhistle we’ve been trying to exorcise for so long.

160. hunter1909 says:

cmcousine:

Calgary play real good hockey. There’s no reason to feel bad that Lowe, MacT, Eakins and his assistants all have well paid jobs made possible by their 1st class fans, etc.

Maybe they lose a few more games and Eakins goes back to the Marlies. Or the Barons, lol.

161. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Time for some one to punch Harvey and pull out his tongue.

162. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Minister D-:

What, cursive denotes crappy marketing logic now?

I may be more concerned by the cheapness of that decorative shoelace on their collar.

163. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Time for some one to punch Harvey and pull out his tongue.

Todd Harvey would do the job just fine.

164. Nuckout says:

cmcousine: So, Calgary gets embarrassed last game, they come out swinging. Our guys have been embarrassed for a month and a half, and they come out pathetic. I hate this team.

I keep saying it, and I will say it until shit hits the fan.

Zero passion, zero fire, just plain flatlined. This team is being coached into the grave, and the one’s who matter don’t see it yet. Eakins is like the illegitimate child of Mr. Rogers and Ned Flanders. Zero grit.

165. hunter1909 says:

bookje,

Maybe if Eakins had a heart they’d have liked him, but the fact is he’s all feathers.

Eakins just doesn’t seem ready for the NHL.

Moroz with 2 goals tonight.

167. Romulus Apotheosis says:

No score in Everett yet. but Ev is outshooting the Cougars 15-3 in the middle of the 2nd.

168. Mjolnir says:

Dear oilers,

Fuck you

That is all.

169. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ha. Perron… what a dick. Him and Chase will be fast friends.

170. Brackenburied says:

Maybe we are seeing the wisdom, or lack of, playing only three lines last night.

171. bookje says:

hunter1909:
    bookje,

Eakins just doesn’t seem ready for the NHL.

If they had a good start based on goaltending (like last year) he may have had time to get some buy in from the players. Tough situation for any rookie coach – very tough for a dicipline focused coach.

172. BlacqueJacque says:

It hurts so much to see Smid in Flames colours… In return for garbage.

LT, shame on you if you ever praise MacT again. Trades away a 100% effort guy for garbage, from a team full of garbage and lacking effort.

Anyway, just came to rub it in to all of you who said I melted down. Who’s 17 points out of the playoffs 21 games into the season? Not my team. Well, not my team any more.

Hey, maybe they’ll draft first overall, fire the coach and hire another rookie coach again.

173. bookje says:

Wait, a call went our way. Wow!

BlacqueJacque:
    It hurts so much to see Smid in Flames colours… In return for garbage.

LT, shame on you if you ever praise MacT again.Trades away a 100% effort guy for garbage, from a team full of garbage and lacking effort.

Anyway, just came to rub it in to all of you who said I melted down.Who’s 17 points out of the playoffs 21 games into the season?Not my team.Well, not my team any more.

I’ve never understood people who come on a site that’s provided to them for free to tell the host shame on you. Rock on, BJ, rock on.

175. VanOil says:

Intent to Blow in Hockey is as funny as Illegal Touching in College Football.

176. jake70 says:

This, among other things is a big concern.

177. bookje says:

BlacqueJacque,

Glad your so happy. Please move along.

178. Nuckout says:

VanOil:
    Intent to Blow in Hockey is as funny as Illegal Touching in College Football.

“Intent to Blow”.. working title of Oil Change season 5?

179. bookje says:

I’m glad to see that you also resisted the urge to tell BJ to go screw himself. It shows how classy we are. Go Oilers!

180. Numenius says:

Lucinius:

Eakins said they looked afraid to make a mistake yesterday, and I presume the same is true today.

I think that’s something Eakins himself is partly responsible for, with his serious demeanour and tough love approach. Good coaches motivate players to do the right thing and thereby avoid mistakes; they don’t make them fear making mistakes, as Eakins seems to have a tendency to do.

It’s good, though, that Eakins is aware of the problem and so hopefully will do something about it.

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 16m

Shot attempts were 21-7 for CGY, Oilers Corsi% is 25%. Expected goals are 1.2 to 0.2 for the Flames, 17.4% for the Oilers.

182. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Nuckout: “Intent to Blow”.. working title of Oil Change season 5?

Sounds more like a Jackie Treehorn production.

183. cmcousine says:

I think I’m going to adopt the NYI as my team this season. The traditional enemy of the Oil of old, through the desert for 40 years, but at least they look like they’re coming out the other side of their exodus.

184. bookje says:

BlacqueJacque,

Still having your meltdown? You spent what, three weeks here arguing with everyone and making stupid points? Seriously nobody missed it . At least D.SF has some wit.

185. bookje says:

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 16m

Has anyone ever seen a team that gave up on a coach turn around? What did it take?

186. jake70 says:

Why doesn’t Perron shoot that???

187. Nuckout says:

I can just hear it…

“We played an OK game, but made 1 mistake. Just happens that mistake came on their game winning goal.”

Sheesh.

188. bookje says:

By the way ‘gave up on the coach’ isn’t always intentional, it’s just that the disconnect becomes entrenched and everything falls apart.

189. hunter1909 says:

They’re playing to lose. For real.

Eberle had the puck near the slot with his back to the goal and didn’t give a damn – he was totally focussed to pass the puck to the point wtf.

The Hall Eberle RNH line probably hate Eakins and want him gone. They’re playing just well enough not to draw suspicion, and terrible enough that “Mr. Arrogant” Eakins already has one foot out the door.

All which further erodes MacT’s credibility as GM. On a high note, Ference just beat the living shit out of a pesky Flame player.

190. bookje says:

Nuckout:
    I can just hear it…

Sheesh.

Exactly what MacT used to say in his last few years.

191. Minister D- says:

Smytty’s been good tonight.

192. Nuckout says:

Note to forecheckers: Never chase behind the net. It never works, ever.

hunter1909:
    They’re playing to lose. For real.

That fight, sadly, might be the hilight of the season. What a strange, strange hockey team.

194. hunter1909 says:

They need to figure out a way to lose Gagner and Hemsky and replace them with bigger tougher players.

195. cmcousine says:

I wonder what the reaction will be if the Oilers get their asses handed to them tonight. Will someone get fired? Traded? I can’t imagine at this point that Eakins gets the ax. Would he get fired if they don’t win another game all year?

196. hunter1909 says:

RNH coach killer LOL

197. bookje says:

Has there ever been a team with so many coaching changes?

198. jake70 says:

hunter1909:
    RNH coach killer LOL

Lol, you may be on to something here.

Moroz 2-1-3 for the night, 23, 15-8-23 +11 for the season.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »