OILERS AT FLYERS G18, 13-14

The Edmonton Oilers are 1-1 on their road trip and with some luck could be 2-0; they are in Philadelphia this morning to play the equally ghastly Flyers. If there were a Stanley Suck final, these two teams would be locks for the final four. However, it’s early and there’s plenty of blacktop to catch up.

parent

Both organizations badly need this man—(dum, dum, dum!)–Bernie Parent! Now, Bernie was born right at the end of the war, so he’s not moving too quickly these days. However, Parent’s come along about once every 7 years–some little town in Czech produced a BETTER version of Parent out of beer bottles, binder twine and the leftovers of multiple defenestrations–and the Flyers got one and have tried (in vain) to get more over the years. They’ve spent money, first round picks, veterans, you name it, but they’ve never gotten a Parent close to their Parent. And that’s a long, long time.

pronger2Both organizations badly need this man–(dunh, du du dunh!)–Chris Pronger! He played one beautiful season in Edmonton before bringing Stanley to California. In Philadelphia he came close enough for jazz to doing it again, and now he slumbers in the backyard as the robins play Chris Pronger to earthworms. Edmonton has been looking high and low for a big man (how hard can they be to see?) since the Rake left for the airport.

If you’re a draft fan like me, the NHL draft site “NHL Draft Analysis” will no doubt mean all kinds of wasted hours figuring out who’s zooming who over 25 years at the draft table. Here is the Oiler draft record 1979-2011:

expected value

The blue line (representing real value added) from 2010-11 looks very similar to another period on the graph–kind of cool.

7Oilers will need to go on a crazy (like 7 of 9) to make a significant move up the standings, but they’ll eventually pass a bunch of eastern conference teams (and Calgary, who have been slightly worse in their last 10 than the Oilers). This crazy early season of road games piled upon road games is coming to an end, and hopefully the club can get things in order and push beyond last year’s finish.

POSSIBLE LINEUP FOR TODAY

• Gagner-Hall-Hemsky
  • Nuge-Perron-Eberle
  • Gordon-Joesnuu-Arcobello
  • Smyth-Jones-Yakupov
  • Ference-Petry
  • Belov-Larsen
  • N Schultz-Fedun
  • Dubnyk

MacT’s comments yesterday were telling–they like this club despite the record–and I think the Smid trade doesn’t happen without Dallas Eakins as coach. That’s something we need to talk about as time rolls along, the fact that the veterans who pre-date MacT/Eakins are in real danger because there’s no loyalty there. A list of players who could be dealt at any time might include Ales Hemsky, Ryan Jones, Jeff Petry, Nick Schultz, Devan Dubnyk. That’s just the way it is.

We’ll see a lot more of this in the summer, Oilers have 13 free agents and I bet MacT signs only a couple (Belov, possibly Dubnyk and Hemsky).

The Oilers have employed a tremendous number of players this season, it’ll be a record by season’s end. We’ve seen 3 goalies already, Bryzgalov would be 4. Edmonton used six goalies in 1979-80, I bet they end up very close to that number this season. The loyalty to Dubnyk is over, we may see him traded this season.

408 Responses to "OILERS AT FLYERS G18, 13-14"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »

Giroux should have had 2 on that.

2. Lucinius says:

icecastles,

The best thing for Yak would be for him to be on a team that knew what the hell its doing. Hard to get off a slump when you’re on a team playing like this.

3. VanOil says:

If Gadzook is hurt does that mean Smac is coming back to the line up? I would love to watch him try and receive a Yakupov fast ball pass.

4. nycoil says:

This effort after the events of last night is disturbing

5. Rebilled says:

Put #94 in net! Problem solved!

6. Lucinius says:

Giroux should be an Oiler.

Dubnyk has had a nice game. Seriously.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

More changes are coming. MacT is going to read this as “I want out”

———-
    More PPs, though… that’s cool.

9. boxman says:

Is it possible they deep sixed Smid to make room to sign Belov?

10. RMGS says:

I’ve never understood why a penalised team is allowed to ice the puck with impunity. Bizarre rule, imo.

11. Pablo Aimar says:

icecastles,

He won’t learn the NHL game in the AHL. He looked a million times better at the end of last year so whatever Eakins is doing isn’t working. Maybe the coach hould change his approach.

12. VanOil says:

4 shots already this period for the Oilers can they add another with a 3d power play?

13. bookje says:

I can’t wait until Brygalov is here so this team can start scoring some goals!

14. Lucinius says:

boxman,

Maybe, but why the hell would Belov want to sign here? I’m serious; he’s shown he can play the NHL game, is a UFA at season’s end. Unless the Oilers literally throw money at him, why sign here?

15. Rebilled says:

Thank you Ales.

16. Lucinius says:

These Oilers are a joke. How do you stuff a powerplay this badly?

17. OilClog says:

After about 100 comments none of my smart phone browsers work when I try to place a needless frustrated Oiler comment.

Gagner should not be playing, or if he is 4th line center. He’s brutal right now. Thanks Zach.

Arco should be playing 2nd line center, glad Eakins is clearly showing accountability.

Hopefully Gazdic is told to rest for 3-4 weeks.

Wouldn’t 26, 94, 64 be an acceptable Li…

Perron!! Hemmer, he’s our best player, he’s better then 4 in the here and now.

18. RMGS says:

Hemsky extension today, please.

19. nycoil says:

I will shed many tears when the Pardubice Prince gets shipped out.

20. Lucinius says:

And Hemsky shows the young prats how you do it.

21. VanOil says:

Perron goal aside, do any of those fired Florida coaches know how to teach PP zone entries that was painful to watch.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hemsky is a bad, bad Man… sign and never trade him.

23. Lucinius says:

Also, notice how Oilers are almost never in position to take advantage of rebounds because they always skate behind the net? Sad. This team needs players who will try harder, coaches who actually know how to design systems, and management that isn’t bat-shit crazy.

24. boxman says:

Lucinius,
    That goes for Dillon Simpson too, UFA around Christmas.

25. Andy P says:

Ok we all know DD has lost his mojo. So what does the Oil need to do at a time like this? A good team will say to each other, ok mf’s, let’s do this for Dubnyk, and play lights out to shield him from those shots by every means possible. That’s what playing as a team is all about. isn’t it?

And as I type this, the Oil cut the lead in half.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lucinius:
    boxman,

The same logic would question why he turned down the Pens to play for the Oil?

27. SK Oiler Fan says:

Hemsky. Amazing what skating does to open up options. This stationary PP crap has to stop.

28. Romulus Apotheosis says:

DD with a .909 so far.

This game isn’t his fault. we are simply terrible, often.

29. Lucinius says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Ice time and easier to prove himself. Think about it; if you have a good season with the Oilers, of all teams, just imagine what you could do on a better team!

Besides, who likes the Pens? Whiny brats.

Guys, we talked about Belov being the reason Smid was traded last night.

“I expect this has to do with the development of Belov and the struggles in goal. I believe Edmonton will add a goalie tomorrow.”

31. ashley says:

I think they are overcoached. Too much criticism. Too many systems. Classic rookie coach.

32. pboy says:

Andy P:

And as I type this, the Oil cut the lead in half.

Dubnyk has been the best Oiler by far in this game. He played well against the Lightning as well. He isn’t the issue right now. This team has zero confidence, as soon as the momentum turns even a little, they fold. I expect them to have a nice 3rd, they picked up the pace after Perron’s goal.

33. oliveoilers says:

Difference between RK and DE? With RK, I always thought we had a chance to win BEFORE the game started, not after we finally score. How we are still in this is crazy.

34. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lucinius:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Besides, who likes the Pens? Whiny brats.

NOt necessarily… crappy teams leave a stink. marginal to good players on bad teams often get left in the dust heap.

I think he’ll give EDM the option of matching whatever his market value is… No discount, but I expect he’ll stay if given a substantial and market-value deal.

35. Lucinius says:

pboy,

Honestly, part of the problem, perhaps a big part, is I just don’t think the players buy into the systems Eakins has put in place. It would explain a lot of things, honestly.

Oilers have no business being in this game.

If it wasn’t for DD it would be much, much worse.

Therefore the Oilers will win.

Lucinius:
    pboy,

NHL players shouldn’t have to “buy in” to finding their check in the dzone

38. boxman says:

Exactly so. The question is how much will this free agent cost. Care to guess LT?

39. wordbird says:

ashley:
    They seem to have lost some of their creative instincts.Remember the power play last year?

I think they are overcoached.Too much criticism. Too many systems.Classic rookie coach.

agreed. DE is too rigid. his mentor Roger Nielson would have cracked open the video of last year’s PP, saw what worked, and adapted. DE seems just so set on implementing HIS way, he’s lost the ability to be flexible.

40. Lucinius says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Yeah, I don’t know. I can understand him signing here in the off season. Oilers should have been a better team, on the rise.. possibly a market he preferred and possibly because of a relationship with those who courted him.

But now? If I were a player I’d ask for a premium to play in Edmonton.

41. Old School G says:

I can’t even begin to understand this team, but that’s just part of it I guess. They always seem to keep me lost in the woods. What’s up Ilya?

42. RMGS says:

ashley: They seem to have lost some of their creative instincts. Remember the power play last year?

A 17% SH% helped a lot, methinks. 6.3% right now, but they’re shooting more, which is the way to go on the PP (today’s game notwithstanding).

43. Lucinius says:

Woodguy,

Shouldn’t, no. But these are the Edmonton Oilers. Also, if players are half-assing things because they don’t like the system they’ll simply tend to be out of position, or perhaps more accurately for the Oilers, ad-libbing coverage. Going where they think they should be, or want to go, rather than where the system dictates.

44. SK Oiler Fan says:

I think the Oilers have been out chanced on their own PPs. They’ve given up 3 odd man rushes on the PP alone. This game should be over if not for DD.
    They really could have avoided some rough waters with a half decent PP up to this point, but Eakins f’d that up to. Get the man some help behind the bench, preferably from outside the org with a fresh look

45. pboy says:

Lucinius:
    pboy,

I think they started to play better within the system against Florida and carried that on in Tampa Bay. They’ve shown flashes so far this game but not even close to consistently. I really believe they need to be broken down by the coach and then built back up. Once they start to play like a team and not like a group of individuals, this is going to be a fine hockey club. I actually believe that.

Stauffer is an employee of the team and far from an unbiased observer but he said all summer that it would take this group around 30 games to understand and play Eakins system without having to think about what they were doing every shift. I think it’s starting to happen but it’s so difficult to evaluate what’s really happening because of the league worst goaltending and all the injuries to key players, IMO.

46. Lucinius says:

pboy,

Perhaps. You could be right. I’m just at my wit’s end with these Oilers.

47. pboy says:

Lucinius:
    Woodguy,

I’m extremely down on Gagner since he got back into the line-up. He is completely clueless in his own end and he’s in his 7th season. I don’t give a fuck how many coaches and systems he’s had so far, he still doesn’t understand how to play a passing lane or find his check. He’s a problem on this team and I’d rather see Arcobello play 2nd C until Gagner shows that he has a clue.

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: NHL players shouldn’t have to “buy in” to finding their check in the dzone

Exactly, that’s not “system” stuff and it’s not the kind of thing a pro ought to be “confused” about or be able to say, all these coaches are sending mixed signals…

I guarantee on this matter all the coaches have said the same thing. mark your man, hustle in your own end.

boxman:

Belov? Oh, you might get him for 3 years times $4M. Somewhere in there. A lot depends on how well he performs, but the Oilers lost out on Hejda and MacT will remember that.

50. pboy says:

I think Philip Larsen might be the best skater on the Oilers. Even better than Hall and that’s saying something.

51. speeds says:

boxman:
    Lucinius,
    That goes for Dillon Simpson too, UFA around Christmas.

I’d have to re-read the CBA section to see how it applies if a player graduates a semester early (if that’s covered), but generally a team holds a graduating college players rights until Aug.15 after graduation.

If that is the case for Simpson, EDM has a distinct advantage in that they can sign him this spring and burn an ELC year in the 13/14 season, plus give him full signing bonus money, vs. waiting to sign until August once the 13/14 season is over.

*edit* if he doesn’t want to sign, he doesn’t want to sign, but that could be an advantage for the Oilers.

Hall isn’t 100% yet, or he’s suddenly not interested (but I don’t believe that).

53. FastOil says:

Fedun having some issues there.

54. SK Oiler Fan says:

Put the fin puck on net Hall. how’s anyone supposed to catch that pass? Dumb play. More N S needed from this team

I heart Perron.

56. FastOil says:

Is 57 playing the centre defensive role there?

57. boxman says:

speeds,

Thx Speeds.

Wow, that could have been a goal if someone had been in the slot.

59. RMGS says:

I heart Perron.

I have it on good authority that folks from l’Estrie are perfect.

Belov gets a penalty for what?

61. Rebilled says:

Garbage

62. RMGS says:

BULLSHIT

63. Old School G says:

Belov was a great find, that hit was not a penalty, terrible call.

64. Lucinius says:

Refs at work again.

65. SK Oiler Fan says:

That’s not a penalty. Giroux skated right in to him and led with his head. Eakins needs to get tossed after that.

66. nycoil says:

I’m in a Philly bar, as I said. No one here even thinks that was a minor penalty.

67. FastOil says:

Giroux watched him come right over. I hope he doesn’t get suspended.

68. Blackbyrd says:

No hyperbole: that might be the single worst call that I’ve seen in 20 years of watching hockey.

69. Rebilled says:

Zebras better make this up.

70. OilBuzz says:

Honestly what the fuck did I just witness?

71. Doomoil says:

go fuck yourselves zebras.

72. Lucinius says:

Only possible penalty there was two for embellishment on Giroux. Wasn’t even close to a headshot.

73. Scotty LaDouche says:

So instead of taking a hit that has been lined up, Giroux tries a fancy slip and gets hit in the chest. WHat was Belov supposed to do, let him drive to the net uncontested?

74. boxman says:

5 and a game…..Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!

75. jake70 says:

SK Oiler Fan:

Exactly….cmon DE., throw a god damn stick or something….turn the zombie off for 5min.

76. Thiru says:

What an awful, awful call.

77. MrEd says:

Belov was all tucked in and took only enough of the player to remove him from the puck. That was a textbook open ice hit. Credit Giroux for being aware too.

78. SK Oiler Fan says:

And it’s a 5? That ref should get fined

79. boxman says:

Lucinius,

Right after that Hartnell took a dive.

80. FastOil says:

Belov is pretty good. Who did he trip up after the play? Bit of ‘tude there.

81. Doomoil says:

i can’t wait for eakins and his 20k fine rant.

82. Lucinius says:

This is the kind of situation where I, were I a player, would cause all sorts of havok. I’d intentionally hit Giroux in the head shortly after that bullshit.

That or beat a ref to death.

But I have anger issues and may be a sociopath.

83. VanOil says:

speeds,

Thank you for your CBA incite as always it is informative. The question that arises for me is if Simpson is smart enough to finish high school a year early despite playing hockey. Is smart enough to Graduate University a semester early despite playing hockey. Is he dumb enough to take cash from the Oilers 5 months early rather than exploring his options on the open market? Yes the Oilers can offer to burn a year but Schultz qualified for a two year ELC after waiting it out in a similar situation. Money now appeals to all of us, and athletes with short and uncertain careers all the more so but I am guessing the young man has a family that can keep him in Mac N Cheese for a for a few more months so he can follow his dream. I hope he is sentimental enough to want to play for the Oilers.

84. OilBuzz says:

This call is up there with the phantom hand pass from ’07.

85. Rebilled says:

Nice job Andy.

AND there’s your makeup call, ladies. The NHL, doing it the dumb way for over 100 years.

87. SK Oiler Fan says:

And there’s the awful make up situational call. Everything that is wrong with officiating in hockey right there.

88. MrEd says:

Make up call. had to know it was coming.

89. FastOil says:

Lucinius:

But I have anger issues and may be a sociopath.

Common symptoms of Oiler fandom. With proper treatment you can live a long, productive and miserable life.

90. Lucinius says:

I’ve been saying it for years, but the refs in the NHL are the worst refs in any kind of sport. Even the pretend sports (wrestling, for example) have better reffing.

The NHL is well deserving of its Mickey Mouse status.

91. boxman says:

Lucinius,

3 minutes ago I would have helped you.

92. Lucinius says:

FastOil,

Nonsense. It suits me very well as a bouncer/security for private clubs. Lack of morality and quick to hit people is a bonus in my profession.

The Oilers just bring that out of me as well. I have a punching bag set up near my computer for a reason.

93. MrEd says:

Pretty tough to eat a crappy call as a ref I’d imagine. I really don’t think that they want to fuck up the game.

Well, that goal is on 83. I love him, but that was a terrible play by Hemsky.

95. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That drop pass… why?

96. RMGS says:

MacT – don’t rush to that extension just yet.

97. Lucinius says:

You knew he was going to score eventually. Oilers break slumps.

Wish Belov had laid him out now.

98. SK Oiler Fan says:

Dumb drop pass at the blue line by Hemsky. Why does this team refuse to move the puck towards the opposition goal? Nobody wants the puck on this team.

99. D says:

Well, that goal is on 83. I love him, but that was a terrible play by Hemsky.

True. But it was still a weak goal by Dubnyk. Fits his pattern – he won’t stop that one shot when it really matters.

100. Rebilled says:

PASSING: Pass accurately to other players on your team to limit turnovers that lead to goals.

101. jake70 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    That drop pass… why?

Maybe a reporter might ask them why they do this so often. Never heard it asked.

102. VanOil says:

So depressed I am with another Oilers lost game and season I am going to do some thing mildly suicidal for lunch like eat KFC.

103. boxman says:

I see lights at the end of this Oilers tunnel!………wait a minute, why are those lights using their horn?

104. FastOil says:

Lucinius:
    FastOil,

Fortunate then. Not so much for me however!

105. Alsker says:

Game after game, season after season, blueline turnovers after blueline turnover.

106. boxman says:

VanOil,

We just scored….there’s hope….quick stick your finger down your throat!!

107. SK Oiler Fan says:

5 fin shots this period for 1 actual scoring chance that results in a goal. Amazing they are still in it. They’re not playing for Eakins at all.

108. RMGS says:

Funny what happens when you shoot with someone going to the net without the puck.

109. VanOil says:

boxman:
    VanOil,

We just scored….there’s hope….quick stick your finger down your throat!!

I did all that comes up is Gravy!

110. FastOil says:

Hall playing centre now?

111. SK Oiler Fan says:

And another brutal call. Hobbit vs 230 lbs? cone on get real.

112. boxman says:

At time it looks like they are trying to get the coach fired, jesus that would be record time. WTH!

113. MrEd says:

D,

Nope. Good hard well placed shot through a screen. Dubnyk has been good today.

114. Lucinius says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

The drop pass there is a well known set play. I vaguely recall Eakins commenting on it as one of the set plays the Oilers had that he liked. Still bad, of course. You have to be aware of the situation when you do that..

115. Henry says:

Credit Kelly Sutherland for that goal. Nice job.

116. Lucinius says:

And wow. No way that should go in.

117. SK Oiler Fan says:

Shouldn’t that hit DD right in the crest? Man he’s slow getting across. Is he wearing any upper body gear? He’s do small in there

118. speeds says:

VanOil:
    speeds,

Simpson, based on his age (as far as I know) will sign a 3 year ELC based on age whether he signs a contract in the spring, or next fall. So signing with EDM would net him ~90K in signing bonus this spring and burn an ELC year, making him an RFA in summer 2016 vs. still having an ELC year in 16/17 if he were to wait to sign with another club in the fall.

119. D says:

MrEd:
    D,

Nope.Good hard well placed shot through a screen.Dubnyk has been good today.

0.882 SP. I guess that’s amazing for Dubnyk.

120. gr8one says:

The Oilers, solving other teams offensive problems since 2006.

121. VanOil says:

This is not a criticism of Dubby but how as a team did we manage to get our GA/G average to 3.82? Do empty net goals not count against team GA/G because 3.82 seems crazy low from what I recall from this season.

122. jake70 says:

Down by 2..play keep away…hockey IQ.

123. Alsker says:

This game so reminds me oif the game we played after Lindberghs death. It was passionateless by our side, as is today.

124. Lucinius says:

Larsen has really struggled to hold pucks in tonight.

125. boxman says:

Wow that was awful and there are no credible excuses for the lack of effort and thought the players put into this game. Well, actually I can think of two. One….. they all have Ebola disease or two…..they hate the coach. Dam that’s depressing. After this game I kinda hope they have Ebola.

126. nycoil says:

That’s what we came up with after the timeout?

127. RMGS says:

SK Oiler Fan: Why does this team refuse to move the puck towards the opposition goal?

The Oilers would have been world beaters in the pre-1930s era of the forbidden forward pass.

128. Lucinius says:

Refs helped, but the Oilers deserved to lose that game.

They also deserve to be demoted to the AHL, but alas, there’s no mechanic for that.

129. VanOil says:

speeds: It’s possible he decides to go somewhere else if he thinks another team would provide either (or both) a better opportunity or a better development system.

Simpson, based on his age (as far as I know) will sign a 3 year ELC based on age whether he signs a contract in the spring, or next fall.So signing with EDM would net him ~90K in signing bonus this spring and burn an ELC year, making him an RFA in summer 2016 vs. still having an ELC year in 16/17 if he were to wait to sign with another club in the fall.

I did not realize that he could not get the two year ELC from another team. Getting out of endentured servitude a year early is definitely a perk only the Oilers can offer then. Thanks, I hope it works.

130. D says:

Alsker:
    This game so reminds me oif the game we played after Lindberghs death.It was passionateless by our side, as is today.

I remember that game. Wasn’t that also the game where Glen Sather got kicked out and Muckler had to take over?

131. Lucinius says:

I think I’m going to pass on the next few Oiler games, actually. Probably be for the best; keep my sanity at the ragged edge rather than vanishing entirely. Also probably best for the murder rate in Edmonton given how this team gets my blood boiling.

A lot of the Oilers just don’t seem to give a shit for even the majority of a hockey game. Gagner either came back too early, or the lack of goal-sucking is severely hurting his game. Eberle needs to do more than play a fifth of his ice time in ‘I care!’ mode, and so on.

132. oliveoilers says:

These players have all played with multiple coaches with multiple systems over the years and are all in the big show. Strange that they choose this coach to switch off and not play what DE clearly thinks are winning systems. Either that or they’re not very good systems.

133. FastOil says:

If they could get their system working they wouldn’t be that bad. They certainly could play with the Flyers, the 29th team in the league after all!

Must be tiring losing the puck so quickly, little sustain, a lot of chasing.

134. russ99 says:

If Bryz stops 2 of those goals, this is a different game.

Why does he need a conditioning assignment anyway, wasn’t he in playing shape with the ECHL?

Players looked pissed. Pissed that there’s nobody in net (yet) that can back them up, pissed that a “room guy” Smid got traded, pissed that management isn’t afraid to make trades to break up the coaching staff vs. players problems.

135. Rebilled says:

Fedun and Belov have less than 20 NHL games played combined. 2 of our best dmen.

136. RMGS says:

Terry Jones ‏@sunterryjones 21m

Hall goal gives Oilers five guys in double figures including Perron who also scored for his 10th point today.

#OilersPositives

137. gcw_rocks says:

Add the unofficial leader of the anti MacT movement for two years now, all I can say is you got EXACTLY what you asked for. I sure hope you are enjoying it.

138. Old School G says:

I feel a lot of good things are going to finally start clicking around the 30 game mark; Yak City, Ilya Bryzgalov, the boys hitting the ice fully healthy, in the mean time buckle up.

139. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lucinius:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Nothing wrong with a good ole’ drop pass. THAT drop pass however, no way… unnecessary and stupid.

140. dsr29 says:

Not going to knock Dubnyk for his game today…. But look how deep he plays on the giroux goal. Drops to his knees and entire body and stick inside the blue paint. He doesn’t even give himself a chance to stop the puck!

141. D says:

russ99:
    If Bryz stops 2 of those goals, this is a different game.

142. Pablo Aimar says:

Is there an argument for not firing Eakins? The results are appalling, Yakupov has regressed, the special teams are a joke. People understandably don’t want to blame another coach but what has he brought to the table? I don’t see anything.

143. speeds says:

EDM would need to go something like 40-20-4 in last 64 games to end up with 94pts.

144. cabbiesmacker says:

Who would have guessed that MacTavish’ BOLD moves would be hiring Eakins and re-signing Gagner?

BOLD and stupid at the same time.

Well at least the competion starts getting easier tomorrow. Enough of these strong eastern teams. On to the powderpuff west

145. cabbiesmacker says:

D: According to some posters here (MrEd), everything is hunky dory with Dubynk in net.

146. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, 6 only got 8:02 TOI and two early shifts in the 3rd. Is he still injured? re-injured? and/or just playing poorly (I know the latter is true).

147. RMGS says:

Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe 3m

“Doesn’t change anything for me.I have to go out and help guys win….” Dubnyk on Bryz

I’d suggest that WOULD be a change so far this year. :)

But seriously, Dubnyk had a good game up until letting in that awful fourth goal. Kid’s fate is sealed.

148. cabbiesmacker says:

Pablo Aimar:
    Is there an argument for not firing Eakins?

It would make management look bad?? Oh wait.

149. TheOtherJohn says:

Philly had 56 unblocked shots at goal. Oilers had 31 unblocked shots on goal
    Loss should be laid solely at feet of DD *sarcasm

Can’t wait till we turn to start playing the big boys in the Western Conference

150. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    “At first from the bench I didn’t even think he hit him. I saw he made contact.” – Coach Eakins on Belov’s match penalty
    1m
    Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    “We were out battled along the walls and out-sized. We spent too much time in our zone.” – Coach Eakins post-game

151. oliveoilers says:

Pablo Aimar:

Careful Pabs, for some reason DE is the second coming for some people. Frikken robot. I’ve knocked Torts before, but at least when sh1t like that happens, his boys know he’s got their back. How can he expect passion on the ice when he shows none himself. “I’m okay Jack, I’ve got a four year contract. You’ll be traded before I’m fired……” DE, probably.

152. RMGS says:

speeds:

Thank goodness nobody’s counting any more! :)

153. leadfarmer says:

speeds,

The sad thing is, we haven’t started playing against teams in our division yet. Other than CGY every other team is much much better. We are 10 pts back of the 5th place team with them having played 2 less games, already. Season is done.

154. Alsker says:

D: I remember that game.Wasn’t that also the game where Glen Sather got kicked out and Muckler had to take over?

I think so, Slats was choked at the refs one sided calls and his teams desire to keep it close but NOT win. That also cost us the record for most wins to start a season, I think.

155. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Not good folks:

5×5 fenwick 60-40 Flyers

Dubnyk had some struggles today (the Giroux goal) but this team is crazy fast and loose defensively. I think they’re compelely confused, and someone above suggested over-coaching. Suspect that’s true although it’s just a guess really.

Smart players doing dumb things means there is a disconnect somewhere.

157. Alsker says:

leadfarmer:
    speeds,

The sad thing is, we haven’t started playing against teams in our division yet.Other than CGY every other team is much much better.We are 10 pts back of the 5th place team with them having played 2 less games, already.Season is done.

“other than Calgary”, I like your optimism. then again what else do we have anymore.

158. leadfarmer says:

So. Dustin Penner is better than a ppg and the league leader in plus/minus having played only 11 games. Lordy what is happening this season.

159. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The sad thing is… we are missing our chance to get Draisaitl as the team focuses in on Reinhart.

Wrong target boys.

160. D says:

cabbiesmacker: A goalie standing 4′ high and 6′ wide would lose more than he won when the team in front of him gives up as many shots from the kill zone as the Oilers do.

True. At this stage, the Oil really need all-star goaltending until they sort themselves out in front.

Eakins: The team was outbattled and outsized.

162. Romulus Apotheosis says:

leadfarmer:
    So.Dustin Penner is better than a ppg and the league leader in plus/minus having played only 11 games.Lordy what is happening this season.

He’s a good player, cheap too.

This league rarely has a sense for value.

163. D says:

Alsker: I think so, Slats was choked at the refs one sided calls and his teams desire to keep it close but NOT win.That also cost us the record for most wins to start a season, I think.

They also had the memorial beforehand. I remember the broadcasters saying that Lindbergh really looked forward to that game because it was the Oilers. I always wondered if they would have won the 86 Stanley Cup with him in net.

164. oliveoilers says:

Eakins: The team was outbattled and outsized.

He forgot outcoached and outreffed.

165. MrEd says:

Oilers are tied for second last in the Western Conference in offence. Hopefully they get some of their PP mojo back this year. What are they doing that’s so different from what they were doing last year?

166. Numenius says:

TheOtherJohn:
    Philly had 56 unblocked shots at goal. Oilers had 31 unblocked shots on goal
    Loss should be laid solely at feet of DD *sarcasm

Can’t wait till we turn to start playing the big boys in the Western Conference

It’s hard to prevent shots against when you’ve just traded your best defensive defenseman.

167. RMGS says:

Lowetide: Smart players doing dumb things means there is a disconnect somewhere.

That disconnect must be new-coach-proof, ’cause it’s been present for five years now.

168. boxman says:

If the Oilers learn how to play good defence Eakin’s will be shown to have been correct in his approach. If not I will call shenanigans and we can all get out the brooms and chase him from town. That said if this is a power struggle between the players and the coach god help us if the players win.

169. icecastles says:

Pablo Aimar: Is there an argument for not firing Eakins?

I don’t think I’ve agreed with anything you’ve said yet.

The defensive flaws on this team are not systems-related, they’re fundamentals. We have a lot of guys who have succeeded as offense-first players and (to my eye) never learned the other half of the game. Like someone mentioned earlier, they’ve got to be torn right down before they can be built back up. Eakins has flaws, no doubt. Canning him utterly misses the point though.

Quinn hired… guess MacT wasn’t the problem.
    Renney hired… guess Quinn wasn’t the (whole) problem.
    Kreuger hired… guess Renney wasn’t the problem.
    Eakins hired… guess Kreuger wasn’t the problem.

What did they say the definition of insanity was, again?

170. striatic says:

Worst team Sv% in the NHL.

Whether it is the Goalies, the Defensive System, or the Defensive players, something has to change.

171. Old School G says:

Today is the first day that I have checked out the 2014 NHL Mock Entry Draft (sigh)

172. Pablo Aimar says:

icecastles,

Eakins has been given a better team than any of his predecessors. The results are atrocious. Can you point to any tangible areas that show his competence? Where has he brought improvement?

173. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I want to take another look — dispassionate as possible — at Dubnyk.

Premise one: Save % is the best indicator of a goalie’s true talent (EV SV% even better):

Dubnyk: SV% .870; EVSV% .872

Premise two: Sample size indicates that even long(ish) stretches of goaltending can be mirages (good or bad):

Premise three: defensive systems (good and bad) have little to no effect on the true talent (SV%) of goaltenders:

————
    Take all that together and you’re forced to acknowledge two things:

1) Dubnyk has been unfailingly terrible this season. He’s played behind a terrible team, but that is not an excuse (not if you believe in the analytics on sv% and team effects).

2) The only hope is that Dubnyk’s true talent through this stretch is clouded by a small sample size that is growing larger with each game.

174. Alsker says:

Lets be bold and make a move behind the bench, no not Eakins or Acton, no offense to Bucky/Smith but the message is being lost/falling on deaf ears, thats thieir jobs, no?

175. Alsker says:

D: They also had the memorial beforehand.I remember the broadcasters saying that Lindbergh really looked forward to that game because it was the Oilers.I always wondered if they would have won the 86 Stanley Cup with him in net.

I too was concerned about beating him,but, we are talking Gretz/Kurri/Mess/Anderson/Coffey and lest we forget Fuhrsie!!!We’ll never know, ahh good times,good times.

176. icecastles says:

Reread my post, Pablo. I think you missed my point.

The defensive flaws on this team are not systems-related, they’re fundamentals… They’ve got to be torn right down before they can be built back up.

That means, crazy as it sounds, you’re going to get worse before you get better. When I started downhill skiing in my early 20s, I realized I had something of a knack for it and was bombing black diamonds on my third time out. Nevertheless, as good as I felt and as much as I was doing some cool stuff, I knew my fundamentals were poor and I was likely to plateau early if I didn’t get some actual coaching. So I did, and learned the myriad subtle things I wasn’t doing correctly. Now I say with some pride that I’m a hell of a skier. I do insane, giant mountains.

But for the season I started getting coached, I was awkward even on the bunny hill. Because I didn’t just have to learn new ways of doing things, I had to unlearn old ones and that leaves you extremely confused, unnatural and overthinking while you adapt. Any casual observer who saw me in those first weeks would surely have thought I should fire my coach, because my skiing had gotten worse, not better. then it began to click, and I wasn’t just back to doing big runs, I was doing them with less effort, more fluidity, and better control than I’d ever thought possible before.

I hope the analogy is clear here.

177. striatic says:

icecastles: We have a lot of guys who have succeeded as offense-first players and (to my eye) never learned the other half of the game.

They’ve probably never played in front of such a below average defensive core either.

Or have Petry, Smid, Belov, N. Schultz have been supplying NHL average defense and have been let down by the forwards this whole time?

On any other NHL team, these guys would be depth defensemen, not 20+ minutes a night guys.

This is the core that the Oilers have to learn to play defense in front of?

I’m not saying that acquiring an above average NHL defense is easy without trading a bunch of the young core, or that such trades should take place, but good grief if the expectation is that the forwards have to carry the team on their back both offensively and defensively, with patchwork defensive support, that’s way more pressure than any other team or fan base puts on any of their players, of any experience level.

178. stevezie says:

D: 0.882 SP.I guess that’s amazing for Dubnyk.

Here’s the problem. I didn’t think any one goal was bad, but either,
    A) The team is giving out an unusual amount of scoring chances per shots against (a theory roundly rejected by the stats crowd), or
    B) Dubnyk doesn’t make enough saves. I’m not saying stealing games, but being a starting goalie means stopping a certain amount of good scoring chances. I didn’t think this afternoon was Dubby’s fault, but he didn’t do himself or anyone else any favours.

You know who this was a great game for? Justin Schultz. Larsen does some nice things at even strength, but I don’t love him on the poweplay.

Just one game, but inclined to agree with CO on Coutourier. He looked good. So did their other French center, the much-maligned Lecavalier.

179. Caramel Obvious says:

If you are going to blame the coach it has to be on the basis of a rational analysis, otherwise you are just aimlessly venting.

So let’s take the powerplay. Many want to blame the coach since the results were better under the previous coach. This is a classic case of outcome bias. On a macro level it is based upon the demonstrably false assumption that it is possible to “coach” a high shooting percentage by design. But we know this isn’t true. The fact of the matter is that the powerplay was never as good as it appeared because the results were a result of random variation. Thus the argument against Eakins on this score is based upon the mystical denial of random variation as a real and important element of rational analysis.

On a micro level the claim has been made that the zone entries on the power play are worse. However, the facts say that the Oilers powerplay is actually generating more shots than previous years. And since you have to enter the zone in order to generate shots, a rational inference would be that the zone entries are, in fact, better.

The team is playing badly right now of that there is no doubt.. However, every attempt to pin this on the coach meets with rational failure based upon both selective memory (of how bad the team was last year) and selective examples (the discredited idea that under Eakins they were giving up more shots from in close).

So if you want to play this game you have to step to the plate and bring some reasons that are able to withstand scrutiny otherwise you are just another oilersnation fan who doesn’t know anything about anything.

Now why did the team play badly? To my mind it was a failure of skill. Too many bobbled pucks, missed passes, and offsides that disrupt their ability to control the puck and create chances. Offense flows from defense and defense flows from offense. When they play crisp and under control things go well, when they can’t control the puck, things don’t. Today they were sloppy with the puck.

Finally, Sean Couturier was fantastic in every way today proving once again that you should all listen to me more.

180. stevezie says:

icecastles: That means, crazy as it sounds, you’re going to get worse before you get better.

I honestly think that’s the plan. I don’t think anyone wanted to get this much worse, but even Eakins biggest supporters suggested it would take 30 games. That’s enough to wreck a season and everyone knew it.

Right now the team does not look well-coached, but I will save my pitchfork until somewhere around game 60. The problem is you might lose the team in the meantime. I’m glad Eakins is supposed to be good.

181. icecastles says:

striatic,

You’re thinking of football, maybe.

(Edit: that means forward have defensive responsibilities.)

182. oliveoilers says:

Sharp angle low percentage shots with no trailing guy in the high slot for rebounds = bad systems.

183. cabbiesmacker says:

Eakins: The team was outbattled and outsized.

184. cabbiesmacker says:

Caramel Obvious:

Sean Couturier is a decent two way player. Stud? Not. End of analysis.

185. striatic says:

icecastles: Centers and wingers stay on the ice regardless of which zone the puck is in and which way its travelling.

The forwards are only half they players on the ice.

The amount of pressure to “rebuild their game” to be 200 foot do-everything-powerhouses is just crazy, when the other half of the team on the ice seemingly gets a full pass, and certainly gets far less in the way of pressure and expectations to improve.

cabbiesmacker: But…but…size doesn’t enter into the equation according to 90% of your readers LT.

Nor should it. Give me a good hockey player any day. If you have a choice between equal talents, and one has size, always take the guy with size. I don’t know anyone who would disagree, certainly not on this blog.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I want to take another look — dispassionate as possible — at Dubnyk.

Dubnyk: SV% .870; EVSV% .872

————
    Take all that together and you’re forced to acknowledge two things:

Agree on all counts. Which is why I believe the right play was to add Bryzgalov. Dubnyk should emerge as the better man, but you have to protect your franchise and that’s what MacT did with the Smid trade/Bryz signing.

188. icecastles says:

stevezie: I honestly think that’s the plan. I don’t think anyone wanted to get this much worse

Agreed. I think the big tell was when Eakins said in a recent presser that he assumed his players were aware of defensive fundamentals, but in fact they weren’t. It sounds glib and a bit flippant, but I think he meant it exactly that way. They knew there would be something of a tear down / build up, but nobody, including him, realized quite how far that would have to go to be effective.

They’re not painting over the rust here, or buffing off the top layer. Once they saw how deep the problem goes, they realized the only option was to grind it down to bare metal. It’s painful and slow, but it’s the only way to fix what is clearly a deep-rooted and long-term issue on this team.

Another way to look at it: the underlying problems are at least five years old (underlying: ie the causes, not the surface symptoms). Who in their right minds would look at a factor that’s only a few months old and blame those same problems on that? Eakins doesn’t have a TARDIS that I’m aware of.

189. MrEd says:

I don’t mean to be an apologist for DD but I wonder how the Chabot/Rodrigue tandem is helping him right now. They are both heavy on international and National team experience… do their philosophies and techniques translate?

190. icecastles says:

striatic: the other half of the team on the ice seemingly gets a full pass

I’m not going to debate someone who sets up straw men.

191. striatic says:

Have he Oilers’ Defensive players been even average? Have the goalies? Anywhere close to average?

Is the problem really that the forwards can’t play defense?

Have Hall, RNH and Eberle not posted positive Corsi Rel two seasons in a row?

What the hell do these guys have to do to earn defensive credibility? Do these guys really need to be broken down and built back up from scratch?

And if those aren’t the guys we are talking about, then which young, ostensibly “offense first” guys are we talking about? Sam Gagner? Yeah, he’s been near terrible defensively for years but he has been out of the line-up for most of this year’s colossal clusterfuck. Nail Yakupov? He’s no great shakes defensively, for sure, but he’s also barely been on the ice through all of this.

No, if anything, the young guys on this team have been bailing out their shitty defense whenever they are on the ice, for two seasons running now, and if we think that any team is going to be anywhere close to successful with Jeff Petry and Ladislav Smid as a top pairing, we are being delusional. Ferrence has been playing behind better players his whole career and Anton Belov is an NHL rookie. This isn’t even a knock on Petry and Smid or any of those other players, but when you’re putting that defense out against the NHL elite night after night, they are going to get creamed, even if Pavel “Rename the Selke” Datsyuk is on the back check.

192. Ribs says:

Swarm-Holes, defensive lapses, whatever you want to call them, they just can’t keep happening every game. It’s just plain stupid how no one covers the open guys in the slot when there is a puck battle along the boards.

My favourite today – http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=2013020245-807-h

Positives…Hemsky walking around everyone to set up the Perron goal was beatiful. Hall’s fancy orange stick seems to be a good one. Larsen looking good again. Umm…No one died.

Ribs:

Yep. I’d add that Belov played well too. Gagner and Eberle are in my shithouse right now though, and Boyd Gordon needed to mark that fucking 4line guy better. Jesus.

194. art vandelay says:

Did we win the Corgis?

art vandelay:
    Did we win the Corgis?

Corgis ripped our flesh, Art.

196. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Willis pulls out some knifes:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Willis pulls out some knifes:

Yeah, the only thing is Hall’s just back and Eberle is playing hurt. Nuge to my eye is playing extremely well despite tonight’s result. Now, the Oilers need more depth at C and we know this, but they want Smyth in the middle there.

icecastles:
    Reread my post, Pablo. I think you missed my point.

Jordan Eberle has played just fine for other coaches at World Championships and in the World Junior. He has demostrated that he can play within a functioning structured system, much better than Taylor Hall, for example. Eberle’s “problems” arise from the fact that the OIlers are mostly dysfunctional.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is exceptional defensively for a 3rd year player, and coming from Sutter’s Red Deer Rebels.

Sam Gagner excelled as a soft minutes outscorer in junior for Hunter in London and for Brent Sutter on the Team Canada squad. And he made the World Junior team in his draft eligible year (though as a winger). With Nugent-Hopkins, Gordon, and a reasonable 4th line centre, Gagner is a more than adequate 2nd line centre, although one as a coach has to be situationally prudent, as Sutter was in the Super Series, where (Brandon) Sutter and Turris handled the tough assignments, and Gagner was given the soft assignments. A coach has to realize the limitations of a player, and use him appropriately. Renney tried to run Gagner and Paajarvi off of the team because he didn’t want to put in the work with them (like Eakins and Yakupov, till recently). Quinn also had no use for Gagner and tried to run him off the team. So 3 years of Gagner’s NHL career, he had coaches who basically didn’t want him, rather than try to develop him. Gagner is good enough, used properly, till you find or develop his replacement.

Taylor Hall will outchance and outplay and outscore anyone you match him against. A smart coach just tweaks his game over time to improve his defensive situational awareness. 2nd in the first division in scoring last year. If a coach can’t work with that, the problem is the coach.

Justin Schultz should be a 3rd pairing defensemen, like Jake Gardiner still is, like Bryan Campbell was for a couple of years (paired with James Patrick), and Rafalski spent 4 years in Europe, and returned to a team that had Steven, Niedermayer.

If a coach can’t coach those players, the problem is that coach.

Much of the roster has been overturned.

Some AHL coaches can’t make the transition. Eakins appears to be one of them.

Krueger’s 5×5 systems were lousy (but special teams are coaching too) because of NHL inexperience, and because he thought player development and improvement was more important at this moment in time. Did all the good players get better, and develop? That is my test for Krueger. The stats guys have there point, but Krueger is human development guy. The systems serve human and personal development, not vice versa. He was not in denial about his systems and the need to get an able systems assistant coach.

As for Dubnyk, some goaltenders can’t play for some coaches. A coach might not be able to make a goaltender (although Tippett making Mike Smith may be the exception), but some goaltender/coach combinations just don’t work.

199. Alsker says:

Ribs,

“Dubnyk looked about as happy as I’ve seen him in a while after this game. Maybe the pressure is off a little bit with Bryz enroute. I hope that helps his game.”

Or maybe Giroux is buying dinner tonight. We seem so out of sync, heartless, so many excuses over and over again but yet in the end its always the same. Why can’t mgt be honest and say this whole rebuild is broken. Its time for kLowe to take his wife on a 2 year holiday away from here and let someone other than MacT deal with this without the rose colored glasses on.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »