OILERS AT LIGHTNING G17, 13-14

I find myself melancholy these days, as it does seem we’re finally nearing the Hemsky sail, 613 games into his NHL career. He’s 30 years old, hasn’t played a playoff game since 2006 and in the impressive history of the Oilers stands well back in the career numbers (8th in points, 451; tied for 9th in seasons, 10). Ales Hemsky is an absolute pleasure to observe on the ice, I hope he stays but things aren’t looking too good this morning. If he does stay through the early part of this season, I think there’s a chance they get to ‘contract talk’ stage but there would have to be a lot of team success for that to happen. Azorcan3

I still think Hall figures out a way to convince the powers that he should play tonight, and if he does that should mean a huge lift for the club. If they can win tonight–and that’s a massive ask–then there’s a chance they could roll into Chicago Sunday with a 6-10-2 record. That’s no screaming hell, but miles better than 3-10-2, and with people getting healthy maybe good times are ahead of us.

And of course Chicago has been a treat for Oilers at times since 2010, so there’s that too.

yakupov26

The great thing about the MacT-Eakins tandem is they make good decisions and have the courage of their convictions. I don’t agree with all of it (that 4line is not good, and the MacIntyre-Gazdic pickups still have me reeling) but the way this Yak City item has been handled is just about perfect. The sequence of events:

1. Yakupov doesn’t find the ice for the last 10 minutes in Florida, as Eakins clearly identifies who he trusts (seriously, have a look at the guys who played the last half of the third Tuesday night–that’s the heart of the team).
  2. NYC media like Brooks begin having a lash at trade possibilities.
  3. Eakins is seen on the ice at practice talking to Yakupov, leading many media members to suggest he will be a HS in Tampa.
  4. Eakins tells media after practice that “Nail Yakupov is not being shopped, he’s not going anywhere and I wanted him to hear that from me, look me in my eye, and let him know that we’re attached at the hip.”
  5. Craig MacTavish drove the point home later on, saying “we very much believe Nail will evolve to become that dynamic, electric player — become one of the most entertaining guys in the game. I told that to Igor. And I told that to Yak. Development is very rarely a straight line. It has ups and downs.”
  6. Later, we get the player-agent side of it from the great Larionov: “First, it’s nice to hear that from the coach. It’s nice for Nail to hear that from the coach. It makes a big difference. A guy like Nail, he needs support. It’s nice of the coach to step forward to make statements like that for his confidence.”

And at the end of the day (hi Chris Pronger!) we get a strong indication about what mature, intelligent management looks like. In past years, there have been times (hi Sheldon Souray!) when things got out there onto the mean streets of msm when it harmed the hockey club and painted the organization as ill prepared, petty and losery (is that a word? I’ve used it several times, and so it must be). The story is here and we should remember this moment, because when Yakupov is flying into Manhattan to score 3 the wisdom of the last 36 hours will receive its own reward.

tootooJordin Tootoo has been placed on waivers, Oilers have been connected to him since the Nashville days. I don’t think they should pick him up, and ordinarily this would be a pretty easy call. However, the Gazdic procurement combined with a losing record, issues around ‘grit’ and ‘toughness’ and the agitator gap might mean MacT makes this move. We’ll see, but, as the kids like to say nowadays, there’s a non-zero chance this happens. One thing that may keep the Oilers away? $1.9M cap hit this and next season.

dubnyk33They have to run with the Dube now, I don’t think there’s much choice. Run him tonight and again on Saturday, and if he wins both roll him out onto the mat in Chicago too. This team is so far back there’s no longer a dust trail, and despite that weak goal late on Tuesday night he’s the best available. The man could use a shutout, but he won’t get it tonight. Book it.

petry7Jeff Petry is not the most popular player among Oiler fans, and I think we knew (and talked about) this possibility. However, I can’t see one damn thing wrong with the guy that a consistent partner and some better decision making wouldn’t cure. Among the chaotic group called Oiler blue, Petry has been head and shoulders above the maddening crowd:

5×5 Corsi for % (via Extra Skater)

1. Justin Schultz 47.9
  2. Jeff Petry 45.6
  3. Andrew Ference 45.2
  4. Nick Schultz 44.7
  5. Ladislav Smid 42.6

This is the group who have played through good times and bad, and excludes both injured (Belov), demoted (laundry list) and recent hires (also laundry). Schultz is injured now, and the team looks a lot less chaotic during 5×5 play. I like Justin Schultz a great deal, and like Yakupov I think he’s going to be an important part of the team for a long time. However, he’s going to need less playing time when he returns because there’s too much crazy out there when he’s swinging.

crazy

Do you remember back in September when I mentioned that a perfect balance photo was at the ready? But the Oilers weren’t balanced so I couldn’t use it? The story is here and the quote went “the Edmonton Oilers don’t get the “balance” seal of approval again this year. And it’s been about a decade.” I think the club has a nice opportunity in the coming weeks to improve their center depth, and they should (if they are serious) aim high.

A Russian with experience? Another Gordon? If the Oilers enter 2014-15 with Nuge, Gagner, Gordon, Acton they’ll have the kids a year older and that’s a good thing. If they could grab a high end center to play in front of Nuge? Music!

High end. HIGH end. A lot of things would come together with a 4C depth chart of Nuge, Grabovski, Gordon, Acton/Lander. Move Gagner over (and give him the Hemsky slot on RW) and the top 9 might be:

• Nuge-Hall-Eberle
  • Grabovski-Perron-Yakupov
  • Gordon-Joesnsuu-Gagner

Something to think about, although the opportunity may have gone with Grabovski playing so well in a new town.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Helen Mirren

Game day and lots to discuss on TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

475 Responses to "OILERS AT LIGHTNING G17, 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. D says:

I’ve lost all faith in Dubnyk. :(

And I was one of his early supporters.

2. captain says:

Couldn’t we have had Grabovski this summer already? Would have taken care of some of the midget syndrome .

3. Clay says:

I almost don’t care if they win anymore… it’d be a treat if they could just hold a team to two or less goals.

Anyone know if there was an update on Belov? The way that leg bent going into the boards, it looked like it had to be broken, but I haven’t seen anything recently.

Clay:

Anyone know if there was an update on Belov?The way that leg bent going into the boards, it looked like it had to be broken, but I haven’t seen anything recently.

Oilers don’t say a damn thing about injuries anymore. Eakins policy is he doesn’t ask and they’re basically off the team until ready, and MacT rarely updates. Pretty clever, except we’d like to know.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Some interesting bits of reporting from Matty:

Call-up defenceman Philip Larsen, who played the point on the powerplay, had a strong game against Florida Tuesday and earned praise from Eakinsfor his coolness under fire and his defensive work…Oilers’ defenceman Justin Schultz (groin) skated by himself before practice Monday, so he’s out for the Tampa game. Anton Belov (knee) worked out with fitness guy Chad Drummond, and never hit the ice. As we’ve said, Taylor Hall will likely play in Philly on Saturday afternoon, maybe with winger Jesse Joensuu (ribs)…The Oiler defencemen were pounding pucks that were standing on end at goalie Devan Dubnyk in practice to try and simulate the puck that suddenly curved and beat him in the last minute in Florida.

6. RMGS says:

It’s disappointing but not surprising that Petry is already getting the Gilbert treatment from much of the fan base. He’s the team’s best current D by a country mile, BUT HE’S SOFT AND A TURN-OVER MACHINE!!!

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“I find myself melancholy these days”

If Hemsky is gone, my coffee may be extra salty for a few days… damn dust getting in my eyes.

———–
    “I still think Hall figures out a way to convince the powers that he should play tonight”

I hope not. This cuts against your “smart GM/Coach” narrative re: Yak. Don’t let the bull decide his fate.

———-
    On the Tootoo thing, Staples nailed it yesterday.

Willis’ Olesz piece makes a lot more sense anyhow. If they whiffed on him I have to think Tootoo will escape Oiler-town.

———-
    Where’s this late push for Grabo coming from? I like it a lot, but I have no idea why it’s popping up now and how feasible it may be… if they didn’t chase him on the open market when he only cost money (and not that much), why would they now?

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

captain:

Can’t tell if sarcasm.

Grabo would be reviled by the every-day media and fan crowd in Oiler-town: too small, too soft, enigmatic, bad character, etc.

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

would it hurt if our newspapers could afford to employ the odd copy editor?

If you needed GM Craig MacTavish to climb to the top of the Empire State Building and proclaim it, he probablt would have done so.

….

A half hour earlier Larionov told your agent he talked MacTavish and he talked to his client so he wasn’t surprised to hear of the session coach Dallas Eakins had with the player on the ice at practice in Tampa Bay Wednesday.

10. TartanArmy says:

RMGS,

If I remember correctly, Gilbert became expendable with the emergence of Petry, so your right, it’s no surprise he’s getting the Gilbert treatment. Petry though is not as soft as Gilbert, he’s a more willing participant when it comes to the rougher parts of the game (like hitting). I’m not sure i’d say he’s soft, or a turn over machine, but these are areas where he could evolve a little.

11. russ99 says:

I really hope they don’t throw Dubnyk to the wolves tonight against Tampa, since that could be it for him if they do. Keep feeding him the easier games until he gets back to where he was last year.

I watched both games Tampa played against the Blackhawks, and they should have won both. We’re going up against very good hockey team while we’re undermanned at defense.

Should be an interesting game. I’m calling 5-2 Tampa with Omark scoring both goals. :)

12. goldenchild says:

A part of the reason I dont get the angle that this is a playoffs or bust season is management told you it wasnt by passing on Grabo this summer. If this was a playoff or bust year Archo wouldnt of been the Nuge/Gagner replacement it would of been an NHL player with a track record. They wouldnt of started the year with Lander vs Acton for 4th line C, it would of been one of the vets that signed for $1M. MacT clearly sees this as an important year, a year therere needed to be improvement and a move up the standings but not at the expense of longer term goals and development.

LT has mentioned this the last few weeks and I agree that while fans look at it as 7 years and counting,MacT has been on the job for about 8 months and Eakins less, my guess is they look at this as a 3 year plan, next year is playoffs or bust and year 3 is the team is an actual contender in the division. My guess is that the goal for Year 1 was to fix the Tambolini mistakes and get the team playing the style they wanted, moving in right direction with a hope that they are in the mix late in the season for a post season spot.

Love the Eakins and MacT response to the Yak storyline, the kid clearly cares and you could see he was carrying around a lot of extra weight on his shoulders so far this season, hopefully this helps.
    Think Oilers win tonight, hope Yak and MSM fav Ales Hemsky play major roles.

13. russ99 says:

captain:

Nope, we committed to Gagner weeks before Grabovski was picking teams to sign with.

We didn’t have the cap room or the required 2nd line center spot to promise Grabovski, and after last season he was’t going to sign for a 3rd line role, which I believe was more important to him than salary as a FA.

Wishful thinking by the part of the fanbase that can’t stand Gagner.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TartanArmy: If I remember correctly, Gilbert became expendable with the emergence of Petry

No one with an history of watching Oiler blue since 06 ought to make this statement. It’s been a long time since this team has been able to think of NHL d-men as expendable.

15. nycoil says:

Hemsky has been my favourite Oiler since Doug Weight. I will shed a tear if he is moved. If he is moved, I do hope it is to the Rangers at least so I can continue to watch him. That’s the silver lining. I’d prefer for him to stay with Edmonton for when this thing finally turns around and they make the playoffs again, though. He isn’t the perfect player, and you will get turnovers with him, but that comes with having the puck as much as he does. Wonderful skater and full of heart. Very sad to see a portion of the fanbase and media turn on him the way they have the last few years.

I think if a minor deal could be made just to shake things up a bit, I’d be for it. Boyle finally scored his first of the year last night. I was hoping we could target him for our 4th line in a lesser deal, and give the Rangers some cap relief. I think he’s an upgrade on Acton if the coaches are being unbiased.

I don’t think goaltending can be fixed with a trade now with Anderson in Ottawa and Rinne in Nashville looking to be out a while. Makes it that much tougher to trade for a decent backup. Dubnyk at this point is an overpaid maybe-starter. I think given the circumstances and the hole we are in, we need to find out if he is good enough to carry the load. He should start 50-55 of the remaining games if you ask me. He delivers, we re-sign him. He doesn’t, we let him walk this summer and turn somewhere else.

16. TartanArmy says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Hey, truth hurts sometimes. I’ve watched 80%+ of the games over the last 10 years and that’s exactly what Gilbert became, expendable. Some people may not like attaching that term to a d-man, but it’s my opinion, right or wrong. The fact that this happened maybe highlights some of the management problems we’ve had in recent years.

17. RMGS says:

TartanArmy:
    RMGS,

I was trying to be sarcastic, but I won’t blame anyone for missing it. It’s the lowest form of wit, after all.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

TartanArmy:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I have no problem leaving you to your opinions. I think they are crazy.

This team is much better with than without Gilbert. Though I agree that his absence (both times) signals problems with management.

19. TartanArmy says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I have no problem leaving you to your opinions. I think they are crazy.

Well, I am an Oilers fan…… :P

20. icecastles says:

Madding Crowd. Madding. Don’t often have a chance to listen to the show (enjoy it when I do) but if that pretty pretty lady is on, I’ll make sure I tune in. :)

21. delooper says:

Still in yurp and have a hard time watching the oilers play (timezone **and** all the losing). But I have a feeling the Oilers fortunes turn up now. Not giant-winning-streak “up” but more at the level of what we were expecting more of this season. Some better play, and a win/loss ratio that doesn’t make you want to strangle all the people around you. Better times.

22. GATO BANDIDO says:

LT, where is Arcobello in your discussion of centre depth? Lander might still develop (though I’m starting to doubt it) and I just don’t believe Acton has NHL level chops.

If health could be guaranteed – and it can’t, thus our depth issue – I would have no problem with:

RNH – Hall – Hemsky
    Gagner – Perron – Yakupov
    Gordon – Omark – Eberle
    Arco – Smyth – Joensuu
    (Pitlick – Jones)

I know a lot of Oil watchers are talking about either Garner or Arco switching to wing but if we want to salvage the concept of actually playing four lines I don’t think that’s the way to go.

23. Caramel Obvious says:

If the Oilers are going to make a trade they need to seek out the undervalued. It sounds obvious but for some reason isn’t. There is always a lag between performance and reputation and you need to make trades during that lag. Erik Karlson and P.K. Subban were every bit as good as their Norris trophy years the year before, and yet no one talked about them in that way. Hell, Subban is still undervalued.

Now we can’t get those guys but we can look for the undervalued and underappreciated on teams that are struggling and may not be inclined to patience.

To me that’s Sean Couturier. If there were to be a trade, he’s the guy we want. Good possession numbers every year of his career while getting tough defensive zone starts, with a value contract. The only thing that isn’t there is the scoring numbers at the NHL level but if those numbers were there he’d be a 5 or 6 million dollar player and he wouldn’t be available. He scored near a pt/game in the AHL as a 19/20 year old, and as we’ve seen time and time again with Arcobello the most recent example, scoring translates.

Couturier is the perfect player for the Oilers and now is the perfect time to try and get him. Structure a deal around Gagner and add whatever it takes to make it happen.

If they don’t want Gagner, then make it J Schultz, or even Eberle or Yakupov. It hardly matters it would be very difficult to lose this trade since not only is Couturier really good but his contract is so low it allows you to add a four million dollar player next year.

Now the Flyers are playing him heavy minutes so they probably know how good he is. Still, he has no goals and only three assists so I doubt they overvalue him.

So let’s get this started. Sean Couturier is the perfect trade target for the Oilers. Bang that drum.

icecastles:

I know, but used MADDENING because they are MADDENING!

25. FPB94 says:

Why in the world would the Capitals unload Grabovski ? He.s been playing like a chief: (Sadly for the Oil).

This is the kind of stuff I’ve been blaming on Oil management for 6 years now (It’s been awhile). They never, ever, ever seem to take a reclamation project. Neither Grabovski nor Jokinen, They just like to take a shot at people who were never good or pay too much for outliers.

26. Caramel Obvious says:

TartanArmy:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I think the “analytics” crowd should spend less time talking about numbers and more time engaging in conceptual discussion because decisions and opinions are formed on the level of concept. The numbers are a mere ancillary development meant to add some level of precision to these decisions.

For instance any decision that is made based upon the notion that a particular player is “expendable” is fundamentally flawed. “Expendable” is a word without meaning. It is based upon the implied premise that hockey has specifically defined roles and that a hockey team cannot have too many of the same “type” of player (another conceptual term that should be expunged because it means nothing) .

From this logic Petry makes Gilbert expendable because Petry and Gilbert do the same things. But in hockey this is irrelevant since 1) if Petry and Gilbert aren’t on the ice together what one is able to do has no bearing on what the other has to do, and 2) all hockey players have to be able to do the same things.

Which is to say if you are making the argument that a particular player is expendable you are asking the wrong questions and hence giving the wrong answers. The relevant question has nothing to do with whether Petry makes Gilbert expendable. There is no such thing. The relevant question is whether N. Schultz is better than Gilbert. By phrasing the heuristic in terms of the former you are guaranteed to make poor decisions based upon a conceptual misunderstanding of hockey.

The lesson for us is that we need to talk less about the numbers and more about concepts and the number one conceptual goal has to be to change the way the discourse uses phrases like “role,” “top-six,” etc. These terms should be limited to finding synergies within lines and playing partners and should have no bearing on player acquisitions.

27. icecastles says:

Lowetide: I know, but used MADDENING because they are MADDENING!

I always tell my friends, you’re not a real fan of a team until you’re a fan when they stink. Anyone can cheer for a winner – that’s not fandom, and the victories don’t taste nearly as sweet until your mouth has been parched by wandering the deserts of of a losing record. Of course, many have been known to go mad spending too long in the desert (I grew up on the tundra, so I’m pre-crazy. Everyone’s an Oilers fan up there)

I mentioned the other day that I’m okay with a bad record for a while now because I see Eakins doing things with this team that nobody has managed to do in a long time, and in putting them through fire, the chaff will be burned off and the remainder will emerge as hardened steel. But it occurs to me it’s the same with us as fans: we are being honed into the elite of sports fans, toughened and hardened by losses so that once this team makes the playoffs again, they will sail to victory on the strength our cheers alone.

…sure as hell won’t be on the strength of our goaltending. >:)

(not sure what my point is here… I think my point is that there is work on my desk I’m trying to avoid doing)

28. icecastles says:

Caramel Obvious: For instance any decision that is made based upon the notion that a particular player is “expendable” is fundamentally flawed. “Expendable” is a word without meaning.

Unless you’ve watched Steve MacIntyre play.

29. jake70 says:

Well I am glad they are addressing Larionov’s concerns. I was worried they weren’t.

30. CurtisS says:

Looks like Acton and Eager are out

Hall and Omark in :)

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LT, prognosticator!

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I don’t like the Hall return, but I think swapping Omark for Eager makes far too much sense for this club. thanks gord.

33. GordM says:

a couple of deuces/threes out and coming in is a King and a ten (that at this point we don’t know but might complete a straight for us).

34. goldenchild says:

Romulus Apotheosis: LT prognosticator!Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers#Oilers morning skate developments –> RT @EdmontonJack Looks like Acton/Eager might be out and Hall/Omark in.

35. TartanArmy says:

Caramel Obvious,

Okay then….expendable was obviously the wrong choice in words. All i was trying to say was with the emergence of Petry, the team obviously thought other defensive needs may be met if Gilbert was moved, hello N. Schultz. Petry may have been viewed potentially as the player they wanted Gilbert to become, but Gilbert didn’t turn out so bye bye.

36. LMHF#1 says:

A lineup based on talent?!?!

Did Eakins just win a battle with management on roster composition?

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

delooper: yurp

Europe?

If so, I like it.

Reminds me of two bad jokes.

From Beavis and Butthead:
    “What’s a ‘european’?”
    “you know ‘european’… like ‘I’m a peein” ‘you’re a peein” ‘we’re a peein””

From Black Adder:
    “Baldrick, do you know what “irony” means?”
    “Sure! irony’s a bit of metal like ‘goldie’ and ‘bronzie’”

38. LMHF#1 says:

goldenchild: My word, the talent in-talent out disparity is unbelievable. Maybe this is a signal that the 4th line black hole days could be over when everyone is healthy

Hall
    Eberle
    Hopkins
    Yakupov
    Hemsky
    Gagner
    Perron
    Joensuu
    Arcobello
    Smyth
    Omark
    Gordon

That’s enough talent to keep the opposition working in the D zone all night.

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, who centers the 4th line?

40. CrazyCoach says:

jake70: JAKE70 says:
    November 7, 2013 at 9:51 am

Because I am not on here that often, what were the Professor’s concerns?

Just curious.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

A couple of funny Stauffer tweets:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 12h
    FYI…for all of U Dustin Penner haters out there. 2-5-7 +14 in 10 GP and seeing time on top line with Getzlaf and Perry

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 5h
    Brandon Baddock, who attended Oilers Rookie Camp drops Flames Draft and WHL tough guy Keegan Kanzig last night: http://noglov.es/1bcmgdW

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 26m
    Dallas Eakins having an extended conversation with… Keith Acton…trying to get more out of him! Hasn’t scored in over 20 years for Oilers

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

God that Kanzig is massive. I remember watching him at a Royals game (vs. Tri-Cities) last x-mas with my dad. He was the biggest player on the ice by some margin.

Seeing him get tagged like that is really something. And look at those Oiler jerseys in the Vic arena! Ha!

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Caramel Obvious,

Couturier and O’Reilly and RyJo have been pretty consistent targets of interest around here in the mould you suggest: young centers who would upgrade on Gagner and who may be on the outs with their team.

The thing you have to consider is other teams are doing the Yak-dance too… i.e., often teams have struggling talent that the don’t give up on.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    Coach Eakins says Hall will play LW on a line with Gagner at C and Yakupov on RW. Thoughts on the combo, #Oilers fans?
    3m
    Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    “We’ll start with Ryan Smyth (at centre on the 4th line) but I’m not averse to any of our centres playing (there).” – Coach Eakins

Weird. why not put Gordon or Arco in the 4 spot?

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    –> RT @Bob_Stauffer #Oilers projected lines: Hemsky-RNH-Eberle, Hall-Gagner-Yakupov, Omark-Gordon-Arcobello, Jones-Smyth-Gazdic.

46. Ribs says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 5m
    Oilers projected lines:Hemsky-RNH-Eberle, Hall-Gagner-Yakupov, Omark-Gordon-Arcobello, Jones-Smyth-Gazdic

If they were playing a tougher team, I dunno about that lineup. Playing the Lightning, though? Bring on the river boats!

Paul Kennedy ‏@PaulKennedyFOX 1h
    @TBLightning Jon Cooper: “We can’t get in a track meet with EDM up & down the ice. We must physically wear them down.”

I’m gonna bet it’s too tempting for the Bolts to try to grind this one out.

47. Bag of Pucks says:

I think you’re selling Gilbert short here. He was caught up ice on both of the Oilers’ 2-on-1 goals on Tuesday night. Even playing for another team, Tom Gilbert is still contributing to Oiler wins. He’s a beaut.

48. kooler says:

Joensuu in as well? Are we really a Perron away from 4 lines that play minutes? Think Gordon should be 4th C but real minutes and real situations.

49. commonfan14 says:

LMHF#1: Did Eakins just win a battle with management on roster composition?

The guy who told Acton to find a place to live the other day?

I think he lost a battle.

50. Benhur says:

Actually according to Urban Dictionary:: losery-def. of the loser family, usually in the context of calling one a loser or describing something…loserish

51. Caramel Obvious says:

Can’t say I love those lines. The saving grace is that there is probably an element of formality to them as Eakins will mix and match them during the game. I hope.

52. russ99 says:

Caramel Obvious,

I love those lines, except Smyth at center. Didn’t Krueger have to do that with disastrous results last year because Tambellini was afraid of the waiver wire?

Omark – Gordon – Arcobello: Best possible place to put Omark, with two guys who can play well in the Oilers zone.

53. Truth says:

So Hall’s in while Oilers announce he will wear a knee brace for the rest of the season. I’m no doctor, but doesn’t that scream off-season surgery?

Will be interesting to see how much speed he loses.

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

LT, get Connor to do something about the media player’s volume settings:

somehow reducing the volume to 0 is still louder that many other media players at half-volume… if I want to listen to something else during the commercials, I have to stop it all together. I realize this is probably by design… but it is pretty irritating.

55. denny33 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

*********************************************************************************

Man, Omark is a huge upgrade over Eager ( and I love 4th iiners ) ……Eager does not hit or fight – so I really don’t get his game. Really.

Really, hope Omark gets a lucky bounce or two….

56. Truth says:

russ99,

Eakins also stated he likes any of the Oilers centers in that spot (Smyth at center on line 4). I can see the actual 4th line alternating between Jones – Nuge – Smyth, Gadzic – Nuge – Smyth.

57. Hammers says:

LMHF#1:
    A lineup based on talent?!?!

Did Eakins just win a battle with management on roster composition?

Or did management tell Eakins Acton has to go if you want a decent 4th line .

58. denny33 says:

Bag of Pucks,

**********************************************************************

**************************************************************

Tom was lucky to find work this year – both he and Ryan Whitney make 900k to play for the Florida Panthers.

59. FPB94 says:

LoL Will Acton. Good god the 4th line looked like we just took names out of a hat in the bottom 6 of AHL teams,.

60. Symbology says:

FPB94,

You mean, like the Cam Barker project? And we all know how well that worked out. The major problem with a reclaimation project is that there is no guarantee of success and a very high probability of failure.

61. Numenius says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Edmonton Oilers✔ @EdmontonOilers
    3mEdmonton Oilers✔ @EdmontonOilers

Weird. why not put Gordon or Arco in the 4 spot?

I love putting Yak with Hall (and Gagner in the middle should be fine). I don’t think their chemistry at the end of last year was a fluke. Yak could really come out blazing tonight.

62. "Steve Smith" says:

Symbology,

I gather from his examples that FPB was talking about players who, unlike Barker, were once effective NHLers.

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

denny33:
    Bag of Pucks,

**********************************************************************

**************************************************************

Whitney is another story altogether.

Gilbert is easily the best value contract in the NHL. He costs nothing and is succeeding in a top pairing role on a very bad team:

64. denny33 says:

Truth,

Will be interesting to see how much speed he loses.

***************************************************

Agreed – really hoping this management group is not rushing him back….they wouldn’t do that, would they?

65. Numenius says:

kooler:
    Joensuu in as well? Are we really a Perron away from 4 lines that play minutes?Think Gordon should be 4th C but real minutes and real situations.

You mean the Gordon who had 3 assists on Tuesday? Why would you leave him on the fourth line with that kind of production?

66. icecastles says:

Symbology,

I’m okay with risks if there is a possibility of a high return. Reclamation projects, provided you’re not building a team based on assumptions the player will work out, are worth the occasional risk.

The bigger problem I see with them is the roster spot. With only so many spots allowed, developing a project player means keeping another off the roster and potentially slowing their development. If there’s no suitable replacement, no sweat, but it frequently means bumping someone with lower potential upside but who can at least be counted on reliably.

67. FPB94 says:

“Steve Smith”,

That Steve Smith guy is clever.

Symbology,

Yes Cam Barker failed. But Grabovski and Jokinen succeeded. (You can go back for older threads, I backed them up earlier, not just being a 20/20).

Most reclamation projects don’t really cost you anything. It’s not like you’re getting onto something playing Will F’ing Acton or Luke Gazdic. Just wasting time. At the very best they could develop into something trad able for a 6th round pick.

So yes it’s a very low-odds play, but it’s better than having no odds at all and playing scrubs that were never good (or expected to).

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Burger
    Parsnip
    Appleton

Now I’m hungry.

70. Truth says:

denny33,

There is no doubt that Hall is a gamer and has probably been begging Eakins to put him in. The reality is that it should be up to MacT and the medical staff to allow him to play, not Hall. This isn’t the playoffs and Hall is not Luke Gazdic. They should ensure the core players are at close to 100% before even asking them how they feel about playing. If that means surgery right now, so be it. They really screwed up with RNH last year, they should have learned.

The players you need to be concerned about are the ones holding themselves out of the lineup.

I hope I’m proven wrong and Hall is his usual self while he puts away a couple tonight, but if they announce he’s getting surgery at the end of this year and he’s going to miss training camp and the start of the ’14 season I will be at Rexall with a pitchfork.

71. Bag of Pucks says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Alexander Steen, Nazem Kadri, Tomas Hertl, Frans Neilsen, Logan Couture, Matt Duchene, Jake Muzzin, Matt Niskanen, Chris Tanev. THESE are some of the best value contracts in the league.

Tom Gilbert, who’s 60gp from washing out of this league entirely doesn’t belong on any list with the word ‘value’ in it. Defensive errors that cost your team 2 goals in a 1 goal loss? Your definition of ‘succeeding’ is different than mine.

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bag of Pucks: Saying Tom Gilbert is good value cos cheap=good is kind of like proclaiming a Frankie Goes to Hollywood CD as excellent value cos you picked up it for $.99 at a garage sale.

It’s like you didn’t read the comment you quoted… exactly like that.

73. DeadmanWaking says:

Caramel Obvious

OMG it stuck!

74. FPB94 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Is he like DSF or just the same guy ?

75. spoiler says:

denny33: Eager does not hit or fight – so I really don’t get his game. Really.

He had a couple of tremendous hits against the Panthers.

76. Bag of Pucks says:

Romulus Apotheosis: It’s like you didn’t read the comment you quoted… exactly like that.

77. DBO says:

So is this a showcase of Omark, or is this a real opportunity for him to earn a spot. Would we go crazily into 4 real lines? No goons? Cause the goon it up crap fest that has been our 4th line sure isn’t working

Hall-Gagner-Yak
    Perron-Nuge-Eberle
    Joensuu-Gordon-Hemsky
    Smyth-Arco-Omark

Could it actually happen?

78. G Money says:

DBO:

Hall-Gagner-Yak
    Perron-Nuge-Eberle
    Joensuu-Gordon-Hemsky
    Smyth-Arco-Omark

Could it actually happen?

A few games into the season (when RNH was back, Hall was still in, Arco and Joensuu were breaking good and O’Mark was breaking bad), those were exactly my four lines for post-Gagner, exception JonesOmark.

Both Hall and Yak were explosive last year combined with Gagner, a natural playmaker.

Perron adds grit and net presence to the utterly gifted RNH-Eberle combo.

The Joensuu-Gordon-Hemsky combination is like a younger reprise of the Stanley Cup finalist top line of Smyth-Horc-Hemsky.

And instead of meatheads, we get the gifted (and reasonably defensively responsible and faceoff-winning) Arco between two sturdy wingers like Smyth and Jones on the fourth.

Actual NHL players at every position.

If that had happened, and the Hockey Gords had not continued their vindictively injurious ways, I might even have revised my non-playoff prediction.

Too late now – but dare to dream.

79. pboy says:

There’s a snowballs chance in hell but there’s still a chance.

80. DBO says:

pboy,

So you’re saying there’s a chance. All right, OK.

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Is anyone else having trouble with the Eakins’ presser:

it cuts out half way through for me…

82. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bag of Pucks: I’m looking forward to what the Gilbert advocates will say next year when he’s playing in Switzerland? Best value contract in the World?

Good luck to him and NHL GMs persist in making bad decisions… something like that.

83. bendelson says:

kooler:

I don’t think Gordon belongs on the 4th line.
    He’s the Oilers MVP to date this season right?
    (An indication of how poorly/inconsistent the top 6 has been perhaps, but without Gordon this team has no chance whatsoever).

84. Logan91 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Is anyone else having trouble with the Eakins’ presser:

it cuts out half way through for me…

Cut out for me as well.

85. Mr DeBakey says:

Goalies!
    I’d like to read your thoughts on goalies.
    The good ones, the bad ones, The Tim Ts that MacT let get away.
    Forget Defensemen.
    Goalies!

86. Jordan says:

G Money:
    Actual NHL players at every position.

Too late now – but dare to dream.

There is a causal relationship here.

The Oilers had the horses to run 4 lines and did not.

The hockey gods shit on the Oilers.

Once again the Oilers have the horses to run 4 lines, and against all recent precedents…. are.

The hockey gods…. (Don’t shit on the Oilers again… Pretty please?)

Edit: As an aside – now that they are running 4 actual lines…. I feel hope again! Hooray! (Seriously hockey gods…Don’t shit on the Oilers again.I don’t want to go back to dark place where flames win and Oilers throw first round picks to the wolves… Pretty Please?)

87. kooler says:

bendelson,

i’m assuming the 4th isn’t really a 4th as we have playing with acton, gadzic etc…..i guess it would be interchangeable with the 3rd depending on the situation. gordon has been a rock and throwing some valuable points, not suggesting cutting his time down. first time this year you want to give your 4th minutes, how ironic.

88. Andy P says:

Having worn knee braces myself, and knowing that Hall will have one of those custom $3-5,000 ones, I would think this is more about protecting his knee from the sideways movement that results from a knee on knee hit more than a band aid pending surgery.

I had a custom and an OTS brace at different times, and my custom brace also applied counter tension to twisting as well as sideways protection. It was light, comfortable and allowed me complete freedom of movement, to the degree that I forgot it was there until I sat down.

You can also be pretty sure that Hall will be doing exercises to strengthen those knee muscles so they don’t atrophy, and I would be surprised if he wore the brace off-ice. If he does, that would be a negative indication to me. Just sayin’

89. FastOil says:

Caramel Obvious:

To me that’s Sean Couturier.If there were to be a trade, he’s the guy we want.Good possession numbers every year of his career while getting tough defensive zone starts, witha value contract.
    Couturier is the perfect player for the Oilers and now is the perfect time to try and get him.Structure a deal around Gagner and add whatever it takes to make it happen.

So let’s get this started.Sean Couturier is the perfect trade target for the Oilers.Bang that drum.

Welcome aboard. I agree totally.
    Offensive Zone Start 42.2%
    Offensive Zone Finish 53.3%
    Face Off % 53.4
    20 Years Old.

He is skilled as well. Play him with some good linemates and he’ll produce.

2014-2015
    Hall RNH Eberle
    Perron Gordon Yak
    Omark Couturier Gagner
    Lander Arco Joennsu
    Gazdic

6 centres in this line up. I think with a decent defense UFA signing or a trade (for a prospect maybe because I dealt Hemsky for SC) that looks skilled and solid, and not even too small overall. It does lack sandpaper, you know, the kind we have that is still always the wrong grit to get the job done.

On the bright side the left wingers and Yak sport quite a bit of attitude.

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

THis is interesting in light of the Hall situation:

2nd degree; 6 weeks

91. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Tootoo cleared earlier today btw.

good.

92. Truth says:

FastOil,

I think the Oilers would love to get Couturier. They probably have inquired specifically about him, however I would guess 95% of the rest of the teams have as well. If all it took to get him was Hemsky + he would have been an Oiler at the draft.

What would it take to get him realistically? I’d say Arcobello and J. Schultz would probably be a starting point for them.

93. wheatnoil says:

Truth:
    So Hall’s in while Oilers announce he will wear a knee brace for the rest of the season.I’m no doctor, but doesn’t that scream off-season surgery?

Will be interesting to see how much speed he loses.

Taylor Hall’s injury has been reported as a grade 2 MCL injury (though I somehow remember it also being reported as a grade 1-2 MCL injury as well… the line between the two grades is not always black and white). This grade of injury is generally not treated surgically. Often, athletes will wear a knee brace when coming back from this type of injury. As Andy P noted above, it offers support to the knee.

The question of whether Hall is coming back too early from his injury is a relevant one. Two and a half weeks after a grade 2 sprain is pretty quick, though if it was more on the line between a grade 1 and 2, that timeline may be more reasonable. However, the fact that he’s returning with a knee brace should not indicate he is being rushed back too early.

This site is a nice, easy to read intro to MCL tears… http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/kneeinjuries/a/mclinjury.htm

94. Lois Lowe says:

If 3 scoring lines was a unicorn, is 4 a white narwhal?

95. jake70 says:

CrazyCoach: Because I am not on here that often, what were the Professor’s concerns?

Just curious.

96. serum114 says:

Just to chime in.

97. G Money says:

Jordan: There is a causal relationship here.

The Oilers had the horses to run 4 lines and did not.

If so, I don’t agree, for two reasons:

1 – While the Oiler big guns are certainly now in the Top 20 in the league for TOI for forwards, they are by no means the highest, not even the Top 5 (albeit close).

The Sedins *are* in the Top 5, and they both have pretty good track records for durability.

Kesler and Crosby lead the league at 22.5 mins, while Eberle leads the Oiler forwards at 21.4.

Hall, RNH and Perron are in the top 20, but RNH has miraculously escaped injury from repeated dirty hits to the knee, while Perron’s injury I do not think can be attributed in any way to ice time.

Of the Top 50 forwards by ice time, not that many have missed a ton of games at this point.

2 – Given that the Oilers forwards are playing high but not unusually high amounts of time, if TOI does have a fatiguing effect that results in injury, I would theorize that the effect would be cumulative over the season. Lack of recovery, etc. It is too early in the season for that to happen I think.

98. Jon K says:

Looking forward to tonight’s game. The Lightning have been one of my favorite teams since their woes as an expansion team and the challenge of playing as them in NHL 94 on my Sega Genesis.

Thinking back on it now, it seems that I may have a predilection to cheer for losing teams. Ha.

Hall’s return should be a boon for the team. Like him or not, he’s the best player on this team and it’s not even close at this point. Maturity fixes a lot of the problems that accompany youth, fingers crossed.

99. Lois Lowe says:

100. pboy says:

serum114: Just to chime in.A good friend of mine currently doing PhD research into injury prevention (specifically knee and ankle) is adamant that all athletes should get accustomed to wearing knee and ankle braces at all times if they can. The increased ability to avoid and minimize injury even where none has occurred is massive.That being the case, I don’t think the brace is an issue in so much as it is additional precaution and protection, and I’d be all for getting all players used to wearing them going forward, for prevantative medical reasons.

Great post.

101. pboy says:

How dare you?

102. Lucinius says:

G Money,

I think the point was more that; Oilers didn’t ice four credible lines when it was possible and thus the Hockey Gods were angered and smote the Oilers in a great fury for their (in)actions.

103. G Money says:

Lucinius:
    G Money,

I thought so, but if that were the case, its such small potatoes. I mean: Lowe. Tambo. Not to mention Souray, Comrie, etc. If not playing a suckass fourth line is all it takes to be smited, we are toast forever!!!

104. Jordan says:

G Money,

G Money: I’m not sure what you’re saying here … is it that you feel the injuries happened (and have been happening) because with only three lines rolling, the players have been playing too much?

That is all. To hell with all this reasonable throughtful analysis. Nothing about this team has been reasonable – its all luck and chance – the realm of the hockey gods.

105. commonfan14 says:

pboy: Lois Lowe: Apropos of nothing, have you folks also noticed how awful player interviews with RNH actually are. He is every bit of a Canadian hockey. He manages to say words and fill time while saying nothing of substance or which demonstrates any kind of insight.
    How dare you?

Really focus on finishing her key strokes, getting more words to the screen and, like I said, just getting back to fundamental comment posting.

106. G Money says:

Jordan: What I’m saying is the hockey gods hate bad hockey. So, they punish the Oilers for running a shit 4th line instead of a 4th line that plays regular hockey.

I cannot disagree with that.

If it is true – then in fact this year might be punishment for *last* year, when we ran a shit 4th line AND a shit 3rd line.

Eric Beelzebub.

That is all.

107. Lois Lowe says:

commonfan14: I think she was just trying to take things one comment at a time and keep it simple…

108. FastOil says:

Truth:
    FastOil,

I think the Oilers would love to get Couturier.They probably have inquired specifically about him, however I would guess 95% of the rest of the teams have as well.If all it took to get him was Hemsky + he would have been an Oiler at the draft.

What would it take to get him realistically?I’d say Arcobello and J. Schultz would probably be a starting point for them.

I don’t know really. The Flyers need offense, Hemsky is a veteran player and not a liability defensively, can help the PP. They are in win now mode as well. They are cap crunched as well and might like some relief. The Flyers are at 10.5% on the PP.

Couturier is having a rough year offensively so his value has to be down. Eating a contract they don’t like might do it. Something like Larsen + Hemsky 50% (3 525 000) for Couturier + Meszaros (4 925 000).

Who knows. It fits into Capgeek. The Oilers are giving up quality overall but are getting exactly what they need with pieces they can spare. I see value going both ways and cap relief.

109. pboy says:

Lois Lowe,

And giving 110%.

110. VanOil says:

DeadmanWaking:
    Caramel Obvious

OMG it stuck!

OMG DMW channeling Rickithebear. shortest post ever.

111. Diesel says:

Just popping in to share my wonderful insight with you that we are soon to be discussing a 3-2 victory.

Might as well start now.

Wow, what a shot by Yakupov! Also nice to see Petry get on the board again.

112. VanOil says:

Diesel,

You must of tuned out early and missed the Omarkian hattrick

113. Rebilled says:

The people above who have Goensuu healthy are on crack correct?

114. kooler says:

Are there any shadows left in the league….remember the old days of Tikkanen. Wondering if Stamkos deserves a shadow.

115. CrazyCoach says:

jake70: Oh just me being sarcastic. All this Yak slump/struggling/trade talk….and Larionov talking to MacT, and his praising Eakins for talking to Yak etc………just wonder how much unsolicited “input” he may be offering regarding his client. And it may be none. Not a big fan of sports agents…..he is looking after Yak…and he should.

heh heh, I figured as much. Just thought I’d missed something. along the way. I find Larionov a little more reasonable than some agents. Some agents think the sun revolves around them.

MacT and the rest of the Grateful Dead are in Boston tonight, wonder if Kulikov is the target. He’d be a nice get. Also, Chara would probably be good enough to play in Edmonton’s top 6 from the Boston side.

117. spoiler says:

Big Ten Pulse for a pre-game show? Lovely.

118. Bar_Qu says:

Chara? He doesn’t bring enough size to the lineup.

119. icecastles says:

VanOil Omarkian hattrick

That’s what they call it when, in an attempt to embarrass the opponent even more, Omark scores on his shootout attempt then while the goalie is sprawled on the ice, whips out two extra pucks and fires them into the net.

120. spoiler says:

The Edmonton Oilers are in the Big 10 right? We’ll get a mention right after the Cornhuskers and the Buckeyes?

121. spoiler says:

Woody Hayes is the new coach of the Oilers? Wait a minute, what?

122. kooler says:

Perron flying out to Phili. JJ skating….almost a whole team, If they slump after that, then there are some real issues.

123. Andy P says:

spoiler,

Yes, and he’s trading Omark For Chara

124. spoiler says:

Ahh and Sportsnet One kindly flips me from Big 10 Pulse to the credits of Oil Change. BEST PRODUCTION CREW EVAH!!!

125. spoiler says:

Andy P:
    spoiler,

Yes, and he’s trading Omark For Chara

Well that’s a pretty good trade. Good work, Woody!

126. spoiler says:

I’m “bracing” myself for Gino’s schtick.

127. Andy P says:

We’d probably do better with a good D in front of a blow up goalie tonight.

128. spoiler says:

Liked this tweet from Perron:

David Perron ‏@DP_57 1h
    Hoping to find a place to watch the game tonight while getting decent food? Any flyers fans following me? C’mon, help the french guy out

129. spoiler says:

I’ve been hoping that all of the publicity around their attendance of Ranger games was a negotiating ploy to work their real target.

It’s a possibility that needs to be considered. Certainly you’d want your prospective partners to think you’ve got a lot of irons in the fire. And I think Slats would give them a hand that way.

130. Ribs says:

Staying away from the “L” word, I see. That’s okay. They don’t want him, they just want players “like” him.

131. spoiler says:

Make it count, boys.

132. spoiler says:

There’s a ton of room for Larsen to shoot.

133. hunter1909 says:

Excellent Oiler power play.

Smyth working on the Ethan Moreau hat trick.

Very good powerplay there, and now the PK is extremely aggressive. Man, they look better.

135. spoiler says:

Gagner won a face-off!

136. spoiler says:

That was a very late change by Yak.

137. VanOil says:

A BOLD prediction this will come down to goal tending. Which might not end well for Edmonton.

138. hunter1909 says:

VanOil:

Oilers look great at 0-0. Oilers also stand a better chance of winning if the puck stays out of their end of the rink.

139. Diesel says:

Neither team being too assertive. This one is up for grabs.

140. VanOil says:

hunter1909,

But those long shots have been killing us!

141. spoiler says:

Well at least it wasn’t high glove side.

Le sigh.

143. Andy P says:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yak.

144. Diesel says:

/grabbed

145. kooler says:

Not a great pass to yak….setting him up for death.

146. Lucinius says:

RNH and then Eberle mugged.. no calls. Bah.

147. spoiler says:

Arcobello has such a big brain.

Was that shot crazy good, or do you fault Dubnyk on that?

149. Lucinius says:

Man, that fourth line. Causing turn overs.. and then absolutely nothing they can do with them.

150. VanOil says:

I am surprised that after some early challenges that Arcobello looks good on the wing. He is making a strong case that he is an NHL player.

151. spoiler says:

Was that shot crazy good, or do you fault Dubnyk on that?

It might have hit the defender’s stick, but he was on his knees in the crease with the shooter very high.

FFFEEEEEEEDDDDDDUUUUNNN

152. Lucinius says:

A little of both, but mainly it was just that good of a shot. Dubnyk could have been in better position, but Stamkos put that shot right where there was a hole.

Woo, we score!

153. Diesel says:

Drag & release snapshot from the best pure shooter in the league. With a partial screen. Not on dubie I don’t think.

Fedun!

154. VanOil says:

Fedun is on Fire

155. SK Oiler Fan says:

Why do the same players keep fin up?
    Beauty pass by Eberle

156. DBO says:

Fedun!

Fedun (Eberle, Hemsky)

158. spoiler says:

Hall is starting to shoot like The Nuge.

Nice little pass there by Yakupov to Hall for a chance.

160. OilFire says:

Fedun, you glorious bastard!

161. hunter1909 says:

Dubnyk plays with all of the confidence like it’s the 1970 Oakland Seals.

162. Ben says:

FEDUN. Shattering femurs AND expectations.

163. G Money says:

Lucinius:
    RNH and then Eberle mugged.. no calls. Bah.

I will repeat my tired old refrain: Cdn team vs US team, especially one of those southern US teams that Bettman loves so much, and its clutch and grab open season for the US team and zero tolerance for the Cdn team.

164. kooler says:

He’s thinking. looked good.

165. G Money says:

Gagner still seems tentative with contact, but his timing and skating seem better this game.

166. Lucinius says:

Smid gets beat by speed, but smart enough to use his stick to make sure he doesn’t actually get beat. Smart play there in what could have been dangerous, especially with how up and down Dubnyk is tonight.

167. spoiler says:

Bolts look as careless with the puck as the Oilers typically do. Then again this rink is probably below sea level and made with 7-11 slurpee machines.

168. hunter1909 says:

Ben:
    FEDUN. Shattering femurs AND expectations.

At this rate we won’t even have to feel sorry for him, the way Lowetide does when he goes on about Fedun all the time lol.

So far it’s a good game. Could go either way which for Oiler fans feels like being up by 4 goals.

169. kooler says:

nug hits stamkos…nice

170. kooler says:

are they playing the Hip in TB

171. spoiler says:

Yep, the ice sucks.

172. G Money says:

Man, there is absolutely *nothing* – hooking, holding, interference, tripping – the Lightning are being called for – complete impunity.

173. Lois Lowe says:

174. Zelepukin says:

Glad to see Nuge line up against Stamkos line instead of Gagners. That was just trouble.

175. Lucinius says:

Lazy, lazy there by Eberle.

Edit: Or maybe just a horrific pass by Petry?

Stamkos is kind of good.

177. Diesel says:

If our fourth line keeps doing the classic “chip it to the dman you’re supposed to be covering” it’s gonna cost them.

Speaking of cost…

178. Andy P says:

That’s all on Ebs.

179. Dominoiler says:

ouch, .. a few shades of suckatude on that one..

180. spoiler says:

Yep, the ice sucks…

181. Zelepukin says:

and of course i eat my words. Because, oilers.

182. rich says:

Another brutal turnover. Because Oilers.

183. spoiler says:

Every time that puck hits a stick it is bouncing up… even surprised Doobie on one. Stamkos knew it was coming too.

The one man swarm, brought to you by Stamkos.

185. Lois Lowe says:

spoiler:
    Yep, the ice sucks…

Same with the goaltending. Dubnyk needs to have that.

186. SK Oiler Fan says:

He’s good, but he beat 3 guys then the guy formerly known as Dubnyk for that one.

187. G Money says:

Lois Lowe: The Oilers aren’t getting any of the penalties or even icing calls so far tonight.

If the teams were reversed, that goal never goes in because the Tampa Bay player just hooks or holds the Oiler player – uncalled, of course – preventing them from getting anywhere close to the net.

188. VanOil says:

Oh I dream of a goalie that steals one..

Or a supper star that scores one…

Maybe next year…

189. Lucinius says:

Until that second goal it’d been a pretty good road period. Even score, good chances to have the lead. That second goal changes the optics a bit, though. Oilers have continually let off the peddle in the last minute of periods for several years now. Has to be purely on the players and their attitude.

190. russ99 says:

Other than Petry letting a 50 goal scorer waltz around the net, not a bad period.

Good to see Omark doing well, but his timing is a bit off receiving the pass.

191. G Money says:

I replayed the Hall breakaway. The Tampa Bay defender, just after Hall moves the puck to his forehand for the shot, does a beauty job of hooking to prevent the shot. Right in front of the ref. No call. Naturally.

Here’s what I think about the first period: sometimes you give the other man his due. First goal, you’d like Hall to make that pass never, and you can ask Yakupov to chip it out when he’s in peril. And Dubnyk has been beaten far too often, but I’d also say Stamkos is one of very few who makes that into a goal.

Second goal, Eberle needed to get that puck along the wall, and Ference could have passed it to someone who had a mark farther away. Still, that play happens 100′s of times with no result, Stamkos is the key.

On both plays.

imo.

193. VanOil says:

On both plays.

imo.

So what I hear you saying is that Oilers were unlucky to draft 1st overall three times in a row when no truly transformative game winning player was available. Gee I hope we suck next year. ;)

194. GordM says:

replayed that 2nd goal…Eberle had every opportunity to meet Stamkos at that far post but he chose to coast his way over there and was half a stride too late.

195. Romulus Apotheosis says:

On both plays.

imo.

When we all know he’s that good… you kinda gotta step up the careful.

196. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Omark has looked good, though.

Fedun… hells yea!

197. Rondo says:

Darnell Nurse has 1 goal tonight so far

198. RMGS says:

The rest of the season awaits, but the Oilers won’t re-sign Dubnyk. Big, positional, blocking goalie with way too many holes. To hell with his track record; he’s pissed the bed on his contract year.

Romulus Apotheosis: It’s not really comforting to say the other guy is just that good… both of those plays we had control of the puck and got needlessly sloppy, failed to recover and then couldn’t find a half-decent goalie to bail us out.

When we all know he’s that good… you kinda gotta step up the careful.

Certainly. As I mentioned above, Hall should make that pass never and Eberle needs to get that puck along the wall and past Stamkos. However, reading comments above mine like

Dubnyk needs to have that

and my point is there were a lot of things (including Stamkos) that led to them (beyon Dubnyk).

200. Lucinius says:

A number of our top players are guilty of incredible laziness in the defensive zone. Eberle is one of the worst for that, imo. Routinely coasts, even after turn overs, as if its not his job unless the puck comes to him.

Newer Comments »