OILERS AT LIGHTNING G17, 13-14

I find myself melancholy these days, as it does seem we’re finally nearing the Hemsky sail, 613 games into his NHL career. He’s 30 years old, hasn’t played a playoff game since 2006 and in the impressive history of the Oilers stands well back in the career numbers (8th in points, 451; tied for 9th in seasons, 10). Ales Hemsky is an absolute pleasure to observe on the ice, I hope he stays but things aren’t looking too good this morning. If he does stay through the early part of this season, I think there’s a chance they get to ‘contract talk’ stage but there would have to be a lot of team success for that to happen. Azorcan3

I still think Hall figures out a way to convince the powers that he should play tonight, and if he does that should mean a huge lift for the club. If they can win tonight–and that’s a massive ask–then there’s a chance they could roll into Chicago Sunday with a 6-10-2 record. That’s no screaming hell, but miles better than 3-10-2, and with people getting healthy maybe good times are ahead of us.

And of course Chicago has been a treat for Oilers at times since 2010, so there’s that too.

yakupov26

The great thing about the MacT-Eakins tandem is they make good decisions and have the courage of their convictions. I don’t agree with all of it (that 4line is not good, and the MacIntyre-Gazdic pickups still have me reeling) but the way this Yak City item has been handled is just about perfect. The sequence of events:

1. Yakupov doesn’t find the ice for the last 10 minutes in Florida, as Eakins clearly identifies who he trusts (seriously, have a look at the guys who played the last half of the third Tuesday night–that’s the heart of the team).
  2. NYC media like Brooks begin having a lash at trade possibilities.
  3. Eakins is seen on the ice at practice talking to Yakupov, leading many media members to suggest he will be a HS in Tampa.
  4. Eakins tells media after practice that “Nail Yakupov is not being shopped, he’s not going anywhere and I wanted him to hear that from me, look me in my eye, and let him know that we’re attached at the hip.”
  5. Craig MacTavish drove the point home later on, saying “we very much believe Nail will evolve to become that dynamic, electric player — become one of the most entertaining guys in the game. I told that to Igor. And I told that to Yak. Development is very rarely a straight line. It has ups and downs.”
  6. Later, we get the player-agent side of it from the great Larionov: “First, it’s nice to hear that from the coach. It’s nice for Nail to hear that from the coach. It makes a big difference. A guy like Nail, he needs support. It’s nice of the coach to step forward to make statements like that for his confidence.”

And at the end of the day (hi Chris Pronger!) we get a strong indication about what mature, intelligent management looks like. In past years, there have been times (hi Sheldon Souray!) when things got out there onto the mean streets of msm when it harmed the hockey club and painted the organization as ill prepared, petty and losery (is that a word? I’ve used it several times, and so it must be). The story is here and we should remember this moment, because when Yakupov is flying into Manhattan to score 3 the wisdom of the last 36 hours will receive its own reward.

tootooJordin Tootoo has been placed on waivers, Oilers have been connected to him since the Nashville days. I don’t think they should pick him up, and ordinarily this would be a pretty easy call. However, the Gazdic procurement combined with a losing record, issues around ‘grit’ and ‘toughness’ and the agitator gap might mean MacT makes this move. We’ll see, but, as the kids like to say nowadays, there’s a non-zero chance this happens. One thing that may keep the Oilers away? $1.9M cap hit this and next season.

dubnyk33They have to run with the Dube now, I don’t think there’s much choice. Run him tonight and again on Saturday, and if he wins both roll him out onto the mat in Chicago too. This team is so far back there’s no longer a dust trail, and despite that weak goal late on Tuesday night he’s the best available. The man could use a shutout, but he won’t get it tonight. Book it.

petry7Jeff Petry is not the most popular player among Oiler fans, and I think we knew (and talked about) this possibility. However, I can’t see one damn thing wrong with the guy that a consistent partner and some better decision making wouldn’t cure. Among the chaotic group called Oiler blue, Petry has been head and shoulders above the maddening crowd:

5×5 Corsi for % (via Extra Skater)

1. Justin Schultz 47.9
  2. Jeff Petry 45.6
  3. Andrew Ference 45.2
  4. Nick Schultz 44.7
  5. Ladislav Smid 42.6

This is the group who have played through good times and bad, and excludes both injured (Belov), demoted (laundry list) and recent hires (also laundry). Schultz is injured now, and the team looks a lot less chaotic during 5×5 play. I like Justin Schultz a great deal, and like Yakupov I think he’s going to be an important part of the team for a long time. However, he’s going to need less playing time when he returns because there’s too much crazy out there when he’s swinging.

crazy

Do you remember back in September when I mentioned that a perfect balance photo was at the ready? But the Oilers weren’t balanced so I couldn’t use it? The story is here and the quote went “the Edmonton Oilers don’t get the “balance” seal of approval again this year. And it’s been about a decade.” I think the club has a nice opportunity in the coming weeks to improve their center depth, and they should (if they are serious) aim high.

A Russian with experience? Another Gordon? If the Oilers enter 2014-15 with Nuge, Gagner, Gordon, Acton they’ll have the kids a year older and that’s a good thing. If they could grab a high end center to play in front of Nuge? Music!

High end. HIGH end. A lot of things would come together with a 4C depth chart of Nuge, Grabovski, Gordon, Acton/Lander. Move Gagner over (and give him the Hemsky slot on RW) and the top 9 might be:

• Nuge-Hall-Eberle
  • Grabovski-Perron-Yakupov
  • Gordon-Joesnsuu-Gagner

Something to think about, although the opportunity may have gone with Grabovski playing so well in a new town.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Helen Mirren

Game day and lots to discuss on TSN 1260. Scheduled to appear:

475 Responses to "OILERS AT LIGHTNING G17, 13-14"

« Older Comments

Hockeyman 99:

So hard decisions need to be made andwe can’t fill the holes fast enough through the draft. Whats the plan? I would move Gags before the three firsts and ebs if we get what we need. Tor needs a centre, we need a goalie. What other alternatives are there out there?

They are not good, or I suspect MacT would have made them. Gagner isn’t a guy Toronto trades for, not now. He’s not completely healthy, and frankly they need a better 2-way player based on what we’re reading about Bolland.

2. Hockeyman 99 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Shoot I Forgot.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Did we note Nurse had a goal tonight?

4. stevezie says:

Losing the goaltending battle is not the same thing as our goalie giving a game away. Unless you thought Dub should have been out screening Bishop I have a hard time putting this game on him.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ahhh… the KHL…. If only I were a Russian Oil baron…

6. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

As I try and think about DD’s situation, it really boils down to the fact he hasn’t stolen games or enough goals to offset the cough ups at critical junctures he is held accountable for. He is in a deep deficit on this and he’s still shovelling toward the bottom. Volatility can be accepted with an equal distribution around the mean. It hasn’t been the case this year and he frankly owes us. Problem is, he had a skeptical GM at the starting line this year. At least for me, I think I can surmise what it means for his future here.

7. Hockeyman 99 says:

So what else?

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:

As I try and think about DD’s situation, it really boils down to the fact he hasn’t stolen games or enough goals to offset the cough ups at critical junctures he is held accountable for. He is in a deep deficit on this and he’s still shovelling toward the bottom.Volatility can be accepted with an equal distribution around the mean. It hasn’t been the case this year and he frankly owes us. Problem is, he had a skeptical GM at the starting line this year. At least for me, I think I can surmise what it means for his future here.

Here’s how I view it: I don’t really care about a specific game–they lost tonight and should have won and I don’t think you can fault DD on any of the goals, but some do–that’s not really the point. We can all disagree on the day to day, but overall he’s miles from where he was a year ago.

And that’s what the Oilers need: a .922 even strength SP or better. He’s in the 870′s. Whatever the reason for the dropoff, you can’t have that. Just can’t.

9. RMGS says:

stevezie:

89.6% SV% tonight for the Oilers’ #1. The better goaltender has been on the opposing team in far too many games this year. What’s worse is that it’s also been the difference in lots of those games.

Hockeyman 99:

So what else?

Two choices:

1. Ride Dubnyk until he figures it out and returns to .923 EV SP
    2. Trade Jordan Eberle* for a starting goaltender.

*If you don’t like that name, pick another.

11. Hockeyman 99 says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic,

I think Mac T is a Smart guy and as LT said if it was there to do and made sense he would. I think its obvious now he was right to be worried about his goaltending. The scary thing is We have no Pronger to keep us in the playoff race until the deadline when a goalie might shake loose. So maybe we draft top 7 again this year because the cost of any help now is to detrimental to the future.

12. Hockeyman 99 says:

I Choo- Choo Choose Gags over Ebs.

13. G Money says:

Reasons for the loss tonight:

1. Braincramps
    2. Stamkos
    3. Bishop
    4. Refs

Dubnyk and bad luck somewhere on the list, but the above 4 capture it.

Hockeyman 99:

I Choo- Choo Choose Gags over Ebs.

15. Hockeyman 99 says:

G Money,

Heres the issue though. How many of the other 10 loses can be attributed to bad goaltending?

16. Hockeyman 99 says:

I choose not to believe you. :)

17. Hockeyman 99 says:

Well hopefully Gags has an 9 point night in Philly. :)

Hockeyman 99:

I choose not to believe you. :)

Ha! Join the chorus! :-)

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Two choices:

1. Ride Dubnyk until he figures it out and returns to .923 EV SP
    2. Trade Jordan Eberle* for a starting goaltender.

*If you don’t like that name, pick another.

1. Bishop: Conacher and 4th
    2. Bernier: Scrivens, Frattin a 2nd and 500K cap
    3. Schneids: 9th OV

I think Eberle (if we stick with him) is going to command a goalie plus something else coming back.

We should also consider who is actually available going forward (that will do a lot to determine the price)

20. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Hockeyman 99,

The goaltending conundrum we are in won’t be solved in short order. It will take some time. That’s fine. MacT needs to remain levelheaded and patient and persistent to solve this. In the meantime, DD will be handed the rope. Whether he strings it over a branch and pops his neck in is up to him. He will be given time and support to work out his issues and the mental terror he will have to battle to prevail will be very, very tough. Nonetheless, I think the end game remains the same with MacT – an upgrade.

Romulus Apotheosis: If we look at the last few trades we missed on, I’m not sure the price is that high:

1. Bishop: Conacher and 4th
    2. Bernier: Scrivens, Frattin a 2nd and 500K cap
    3. Schneids: 9th OV

22. Hockeyman 99 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

And Bernier was an upgrade for Reimer

23. Hockeyman 99 says:

Gags and Dubie for Reimer and Franson

24. Hockeyman 99 says:

Dubie is the best back-up in the league. (other than about 5 other goalies or so)

25. G Money says:

Hockeyman 99:
    G Money,

a. I’m not talking about the other 10 losses, just about this one

b. I know I’m in the clear minority on this one, but that’s what you get for being familiar with statistics and random effects. This kind of “fighting the puck” cold streak is not unusual for goaltenders. Hot streaks are common as well. Ten bad games does not invalidate the 160 previous games at .915, and suddenly make Dubnyk a bad goaltender, any more than Khabibulin’s 10-game streak at .953 sv% to start the season a few years ago made him a Vezina winner.

Khabi went back in the toilet, as expected.

Dubynk will recover to finish the season a .915 goaltender*.

* Puts flame retardant suit on, cracks knuckles in anticipation of giving people a statistical beatdown

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

More on this… I think we should frame this as a trade deadline conversation.

I highly doubt MacT pulls the trigger on something unless he feels he gets a “deadline market” deal. I don’t think he’s going to feel so much pressure to solve goaltending now that he wastes money.

I don’t think it’s too early to discuss solutions, but I think we need to frame this as something several months away.

The other shoe is how committed MacT is to “money puck” moves… his old job (last year) was taken over by Bob Green:

I’d look for the unsigned free agent option (see the Raanta type whiffs) being made a serious priority in the offseason.

Hockeyman 99:

Gags and Dubie for Reimer and Franson

So, Toronto gets a below average (by a lot currently) NHL goalie and a center who is rounding into form and can be an upgrade on Bozak but not on Bolland? And for that, they give up their goalie insurance and a perfectly useful NHL defenseman.

The Oilers are better off nursing DD and Gagner (both good NHL players) into health, and then casting about in summer for a free agent solution.

28. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

I can’t disagree with this. I think DD slots in as a capable no. 2.

29. dsr29 says:

The point with Dubnyk is that he doesn’t bail the team out, be it routine or spectacular save, after a woeful mistake. Time and again tonight Bishop bailed his team out. This is the norm so far this season. Right now DD is the worst starting goalie in the NHL, by eye or by numbers. No more excuses for him.

30. Hockeyman 99 says:

G Money,

Yes but you Assume he’s a .915 goalie as a clear cut starter on average. You have no appreciable sample size to draw that conclusion from. Do you remember Mathieu Garon.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Sure, but those deals were in summer, when teams were figuring things out for the next season and setting their caps OR at the deadline when teams are gearing up. If Toronto deals Reimer tomorrow, and then Bernier goes down, then where are they?

Oh, agreed.

I don’t think they do that at all unless they get a king’s ransom.

They don’t have a Scrivens in the AHL this year. MacIntyre is playing pretty well for the Marlies

but I don’t think they rely on a 30 year old career minor pro as a back up.

I think that is why this conversation doesn’t make any sense (for either team)… MacT told us he’s not in a hurry to solve this problem… it makes too much sense to believe him here.

maybe sometime at the deadline.

dsr29:

The point with Dubnyk is that he doesn’t bail the team out, be it routine or spectacular save, after a woeful mistake. Time and again tonight Bishop bailed his team out.This is the norm so far this season.Right now DD is the worst starting goalie in the NHL, by eye or by numbers. No more excuses for him.

Can’t disagree with any of that. Dubnyk is losing his job as we speak, if they replace him tomorrow no one can say he wasn’t given full shot.

On the other hand, I still think it’s wise on betting he’ll return to .920ish EV SP.

33. Hockeyman 99 says:

So we flush another year? I pay $12K a year for my seats and I am sick of losing. I have upgraded my seats every year and added 3 more last year hoping the team was developing. I am really considering dumping them for next year. I like watching them lose on TV better as I don’t have to drive 1000Kms, buy $200 in gas, and stay in a hotel for that to happen. Its much easier to take. :)

34. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That graph is amazing for demonstrating score effects.

I swear these visual cues are going to break down a lot of the naysayers.

35. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Except you’re not going to get a clear upgrade for Gagner. He’s coming off an injury, he’s not a complete player, and he’s being paid very well now. A clear upgrade is going to cost you Eberle or something like Eberle.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar: Respectively disagree with this. If the Anaheim Ducks can go and get goalies from Europe then why can’t we? Goalies are a strange breed and they can sometimes be found in strange places.

This is a red herring though.

Sure, but we’re talking about immediate help.

38. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Great to see Hall play with the level of confidence he did with a guarded knee.

Hockeyman 99:

lol. Well, I see your point. MacT is a smart guy, maybe he can find an inexpensive superior option somewhere. I don’t see Toronto dealing Reimer any time soon, but Hiller is possible imo.

40. Hockeyman 99 says:

Maybe the deal is there but MacT won’t go back on his word and Gags really does want to stay even if he is from TO. Besides TO has Smithson now, they are covered for defensive centermen. :)

41. Hockeyman 99 says:

Gagner and Cogs together again. Hmmmmm

42. Hockeyman 99 says:

Hockeyman 99,

Where is Robbie Nilsson

43. rich says:

Agree with the point that DSR makes on DD. He doesn’t bail his team out with a big save when they need it most. I really have to wonder if he’s capable of playing well under pressure.

One of the things that really bothered me about Renney in his 2nd season coaching was that he didn’t stay with DD early in the season when he seemed to be struggling learning how to handle the #1 position. He went to Khabibulin, rode him until it was well past his good thru date – and by the time Khabi was done, and the Oilers were done, he finally gave the job back to DD. At that point, the season is over, the pressure is off and DD played pretty solid from then thru the end of the season.

Last year, DD had a solid year, but when the pressure was really on he couldn’t ever steal his team a win to keep them in the playoff race…although in his defense, the Oilers were poorly constructed and laid bare on a west coast road trip that did them in once and for all.

44. Hockeyman 99 says:

rich,

last year he shat the bed when the pressure was on in Nashville and Anahiem. Can’t agree more.

Where did all you people come from? I haven’t seen so much discussion of bailing out a team with a big save in forever. It’s a loser’s bet, folks. goalies are good or they’re bad. Dom Hasek stopped everything in sight, big games or no. Jeff Deslauriers couldn’t stop anything, big game or no.

It’s a unicorn.

46. OilClog says:

Dubnyk is playing like he is 5’6″ with no limbs, it’s ugly to watch. Yes there are defensive breakdowns for sure, can’t deny it. Also can’t deny the puck hits the back of the Oiler net without Dubnyk touching it in the slightest..GET IN FRONT OF THE PUCK MAN! YOU’RE A GIANT! PLAY LIKE ONE!

If I’m Eakins I’m bashing my face through a wall with all the seem to be useless assistants he has. I’m not trying to be rude, but at what point is employing people that clearly can’t freaking figure it out unacceptable?!?!? BLARG!

It’s both goalies doing the same thing.. It’s like they’re swiss cheese, and Halibut. Hole Filled Floppy Fish. Someone teach Dubnyk how to use that freaking frame! Who’s the Goalie coach in Nashville?

All the Oiler forwards probably feel like world beaters in practice, then they can’t figure out how to score on actual goaltending.. we’re all left watching this debacle trying to defend a %920SP Goalie with a reputation of letting in a softie.. that now lets in multiple softies.. It’s MAF without the success.

47. Pouzar says:

Wow the Eberle vitriol is at a fever pitch in some cyber spaces.

Anyways, Hall looked great out there.

Fedun with 2 goals in 2 games? Can we send him down?

Pouzar:
    Wow the Eberle vitriol is at a fever pitch in some cyber spaces.

Anyways, Hall looked great out there.

Fedun with 2 goals in2 games? Can we send him down?

49. Hockeyman 99 says:

LOL. Okay LT, in your opinion what is there record with average Goaltending. I think most fans are looking for the big saves to average out the bad goals to get DD to that .915 to .920 SP. thats all. I think this is a decent team gripping their sticks to tight waiting for the next bad goal. I think most people think this team should be better than last year and so far they are far worse. I only ask because I value your opinion.

50. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Eberle? Why? He made a mistake, but he also made a wonderful pass on the Fedun goal. I think people are so focused on the GA they’re losing the storyline.

Not here LT…I guess I shouldn’t mention it. Frustrating to read such nonsense. One moron constantly ripping him and using the great play of Yak to make his point *sigh*

Anyways…I saw a lot positives tonight. We need to get healthy for a stretch and see what we can do.

51. Hockeyman 99 says:

I don’t think the mistakes will stop, and the goals start going in until the Players feel like they can make a mistake and it won’t cost them the game.

52. Professor Q says:

Perhaps this is the reason why I stopped watching this season…

53. fuzzy muppet says:

Just watched the game. They were miles better than the lightning. Unfortunately, DD sucks.

They HAVE to bring in a goalie. There’s no argument anymore. DD is not a starting NHL goalie. 2 of the 3 goals were very stoppable. He didn’t stop them because he’s not very good. End of story.

Hopefully 89 brings you an upgrade on Dubie. It’s a damn shame shame. They deserved to win this game twice over.

Also, whoever the linesmen were in this one, they were awful. no less than 3 missed icing calls.

54. rich says:

LT – it’s an observation. I’ve been a DD defender for several years. Was pissed at Renney for giving all the other kids rope to hang with and not giving DD a chance to fight thru it.

Not that anything that I think means a thing to the people who really matter in Oilers management.

But with every chance right now to prove to everyone that he can take the #1 job by the jugular, he’s struggling. I don’t disagree with you that tonight, the team made bad plays in front of him and were very opportunistic. And yes, Stamkos is a wonderful talent who’ll embarrass any goalie.

But darn it, sometimes you need your goalie to steal one for you that you don’t deserve and when the light shines brightest, when the GM says you need to show everyone it’s your net, DD just doesn’t get it done.

I really wish this were not the case.

55. Professor Q says:

It’s always up and down and one thing after another with the Oilers, no one making up their minds and always changing.

One game someone is playing well and the problems are such and area and everyone cries for a trade to fill said area, the next game another player plays well and the first player does not play as well as he did before and then he is the one being addressed by fans and the like…aya.

56. Hockeyman 99 says:

Professor Q,

I don’t think the problems have changed

#1 and #2 D plus a #1 goalie along with improve the bottom 3. The top nine just need to better defensively and have a higher compete level consistently.

Different holes cause loses on different nights.

57. Pablo Aimar says:

But the GA is the storyline. The storyline is that Eberle has some nice offense and is a complete disaster in his own end. He is in his 4th year and is making 6 mil. You can cut Yakupov slack because he is still a rookie. Eberle is supposed to be an elite player. He isn’t. In hockey terms he isn’t a kid either.

58. Ribs says:

I’m almost glad I’ve been conditioned to accept losses at this point. Such is the life of an Oilers fan these days.

How about that move by Panik on that Johnson goal? I’m so glad he’s part of my fantasy trade along with Hedman.

My man Phil Larsen playing over twenty minutes and looking good. I’d like to see an extended stay. He could end up being a good chip on trade deadline day.

How bout dem’ Swarm-Holes? http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=2013020237-230-h

59. Ribs says:

Eakins post game says that they made 3 mistakes this game and the Bolts scored on 2 of them. It’s incredibly hard to play a perfect game in this league. Adapt, damn you! Adapt!

60. Andy P says:

I am so glad that I have resigned myself to the first 30 games being an extended training camp. Then games like these are no longer as stressful to watch, because is no longer whether they win or lose, it’s how they play the game :)
    Assuming everyone gets healthy, I don’t think we need to trade anyone right now. Not one person.

I think DD is good for this team. They have the skill to win games with DD in the net. To do this they will need to play better D so the opponent gets less shots and those of lower quality at DD. The forwards will also need to come on back and help out as well.

If DD was any good they would not have to tighten up on their D to win games. However if they can start winning games consistently in front of DD, then once they get a real #1 goalie in the offseason, they would then, hopefully they can become a contender.

Going forward, I would probably prefer someone like BTO be the #2 starter, he seems a lot more competitive and I don’t think DD has any more upside, we’ve given him every chance by the end of this season.

I’m happy with this roster, I would love to keep the Prince of Pardibuce, and Gags and Yak and Jultz and Belov and so on, or at least the best of the bunch that come through this year.

Just sayin’ :)

61. Zelepukin says:

Pablo Aimar: The storyline is that Eberle has some nice offense and is a complete disaster in his own end.

Complete disaster? Doesn’t he have the second best +/- behind Arco for those who’ve played more than 12 games?

62. Andy P says:

Andy P,

Having just watched the post game interviews, I am wondering if the team won’t demand a goalie change sooner rather than later.

But then all we really need for now is BTO, with DD spotting him from time to time. For next year I would way prefer BTO as the backup, and DD can be #1 or #2 elsewhere.

63. Hammers says:

OK enough on goal & DD .Where is the talk on the skaters and the coach . For a guy who was supposed to believe in pairs Eakins is all over the place and by my eye see’s players differently than I . Arco was coming along fine in the middle . Hemsky has been a good all around player . Jones looked like Shit tonight but gets minutes at expense of Yak or Omark . Why use Smyth at center when his played well on the wing not great but good enough . Lines are in continual turmoil Somebody needs to tell Eakins about the KISS principle . Simplify what you have then stick with it. RNH & Ebs — Gags & Yak —-Gordon & Hemsky — Arco & Hall . Fill in the pieces with Smyth , Joensuu , Perron ,Omark ,Jones , Gazdic Pitlick , Lander , Acton .For me I see potentially 4 balanced lines.

64. Bails14 says:

This probably means importing a goalie, even from an organization where goaltending is a strength (ANA), probably won’t happen till Olympic break/trade deadline. Injuries and slumps happen. Why trade before you absolutely have to?

65. bookje says:

It’s a unicorn.

Next you’ll say something crazy like “there’s no such thing as clutch players”

Bails14: The Bishop for Conacher + 4th was a deadline deal. Either way, they were deals made when the season had a better definition. OTT was in a position to unload from a strength to upgrade a forward group for the playoff push.

Exactly. If the Leafs trade Reimer for a center now, and Bolland comes back days before Phaneuf blows a show, they’re screwed.

bookje: Next you’ll say something crazy like “there’s no such thing as clutch players”

DON’T MAKE ME COME OVER THERE!!!!

68. Gret99zky says:

So Philly on Saturday.

Who is more likely to break out of their slump?

Us or them?

Rhetorical.

69. Caramel Obvious says:

Remember the strategic mistake of always fighting the last war. If you are looking for a goaltender you shouldn’t go looking for established guys. Instead find the next Bishop.

Bishop has been traded twice in the past two years. The first time for only a second round pick. That time there were many blogger types saying he should be a target though if I recall there were extraneous circumstances that forced the Blues to trade him.

There is no need to pay a premium just go find the next guy. There is no guarantee with goalies and hence no reason to pay for established guys. They don’t bring the certainty you think you are buying. And for the love of God don’t sign a goalie to a big UFA contract.

If you have to choose between trading Gagner + for either someone like Couturier or someone like Reimer choose Couturier 1000 times out of 1000.

In the meantime keep playing Dubnyk and wait for the price to be right. If it isn’t this season trade for the best AHL goalie, try and sign the best Europe goalie and enter next season with them.

70. Chris says:

Well as much as we don’t want to refight old wars we are kind of in 2005-2006 all over again where our GM is essentially running around screaming “A goaltender, a goaltender, my kingdom for a goaltender”. So my subtitle for this season thus far is “The Return of the Three headed Monster”. I don’t know what has happened to Dubnyk but it has been this epic Saloesque fall off. Could he play himself out of it – possibly. But goalies are weird. Tommy Salo was once a tremendous goaltender, then he fell off a cliff. Felix Potvin was a steady goaltender for half a dozen years and then he went wonky for as many years. Jim Carey won a vezina and then fell appart and a couple years later was out of the league.

I hope Dubynk plays his way out of this but goalies are a strange breed. Right now Dubnyk is putting up AHL numbers. Patarki was on Lowetide’s show a couple days ago saying over sixteen games the oilers had allowed 11 goals whwat one would expect with league average goaltending.

11 goals swings 3 or four games at least. This is an average team that looks dreadful as we are currently running out the worst goaltending in the league. If Dubnyk doesn’t rebound soon we had better be beating the bush for Roloson 2.0.

71. justDOit says:

“Joe Thornton and Mike Brown scored for the Sharks, who lost their fourth straight game, but just the second in regulation all season.”

You’re doin’ a heckuva job there, Brownie!

72. Gret99zky says:

Dubnyk signed a multimillion dollar deal. Got married and had a baby boy in August.

Pressure.

73. russ99 says:

Gret99zky,

Dubnyk is a UFA next year. I’d think the reverse is true. He should be playing for next year’s contract.

I can’t fault him on most of the goals last night, but we need goalie to steal us a win, and none of the guys on the roster or in the system seem to be capable of that.

I expect a huge organization-wide goalie shake-up.

We should be looking to add an AHL keeper with solid technique and room for growth now and throw him into the competition, dump UFAs Dubnyk and Labarbera for picks at the deadline, sign or trade for a quality starter in July and sign a European to compete for backup or AHL duties.

It’s too late to draft a goalie that will impact this current group, as most goalies take 4-6 years to develop.

74. RMGS says:

It’s a unicorn.

I’m inclined to agree, but, for the sake of argument, wouldn’t that make Grant Fuhr an average goalie at best – even taking into account his era?

75. OilFire says:

It’s a unicorn.

We gotta listen to the big dog here. Dubnyk hasn’t played well, but we can’t get anywhere in the discussion if we start going off on “he needs to make the critical saves.” That’s a nonsense argument. Sure, it’s possible for a tender to melt under pressure, but that’s the only cogent argument within miles of these statements. This “big save” trope is just empty statements used to fill intermission breaks by the bobbleheads we all come to LT-land to escape.

« Older Comments