OILERS AT PANTHERS G16, 13-14

A season that has already produced casualties may result in some familiar faces being sent away as the growing pains continue. The Oilers have made trades on road trips, but don’t make deals in November. Then again, this isn’t a normal November. Or maybe it is, and that’s the problem.

Azorcan3

The Oilers don’t make a lot of trades in November. Here’s the count since 2000:

1. November 10, 2000: Oilers trade Bill Guerin and their 2001 1st rd pick (Shaonne Morrissonn) to Boston for Anson Carter and the Bruins 1st rd pick in 2001 (Ales Hemsky).
  2. November 11, 2005: Oilers claim C Krys Kolanos off waivers from Phoenix.
  3. November 11, 2008: Oilers claim F Jesse Boulerice off waivers from  Colorado.
  4. November 11, 2009: Oilers lose F Steve MacIntyre to Florida via waivers.
  5. November 10, 2011: Oilers re-claim D Taylor Chorney off waivers from St. Louis.

This is not a major list. However,

dreger mact

There’s any number of players on either team (Anaheim: Hiller, Maroon; NYR: list below) the Oilers might be interested in, and it appears that the Rangers are kicking tires on Hemsky with a Yakupov chaser. There are lots of Rangers to like (McDonagh, Del Zotto, Kreider, Brassard) and Slats loves, loves, loves trading for skill when that skill is down on its luck. He did it plenty here and continues to do it in NYC.

My guess is that Hemsky goes to Manhattan, with someone like Brassard or JT Miller heading here. Hiller is the obvious Anaheim connection, but the smart play is to let Dubnyk establish himself as the #1 again. Trading Yakupov this early–and when he’s struggling–is not a sound decision based on history.

Jonathan Willis has a nice article on waiver eligible Rostislav Olesz and makes a strong argument for picking him up.

lost5Ryan Smyth returns tonight, I’m fond of that guy and I think he’s proven a few people wrong this year–the club badly needs him to play his heart out tonight. Knowing Eakins he’ll play 28 minutes and sweat off 80 pounds, but this team needs a win.

• Nuge-Hemsky-Eberle (this line needs to score 9 points)
  • Gagner-Smyth-Yakupov (love moving Yak to R, smart decision.Showcase?)
  • Gordon-Jones-Arcobello (Gordon has a sore foot, Arcobello at R again)
  • Acton-Gazdic-Eager (it irritates me that THIS is the healthy line)
  • Smid-Petry (settle things down, men)
  • Ference-Larsen (this is a guess)
  • N Schultz-Fedun (also a guess, thrilled for Fedun)
  • Dubnyk (back in the South Beach groove)

Hall is likely back on the weekend (SAT-Philly, SUN-Chi-town) and my word we’ve missed him.

lost22

EDMONTON OILERS RE 2013-14

NAME GP G A PTS
TAYLOR HALL  70 37 45 82
JORDAN EBERLE  78 28 37 65
RYAN NUGENT HOPKINS  62 21 42 63
NAIL YAKUPOV  82 29 23 52
SAM GAGNER   82 15 37 52
DAVID PERRON 69 20 24 44
ALES HEMSKY  66 11 25 36
RYAN SMYTH  72 12 16 28

My projections are in the ditch. Hall (76, 25-42-67) and Eberle (projected for 82, 16-38-54) aren’t out of sight yet, but Yak City (80, 6-12-18) is long gone blue. Nugent-Hopkins (on track for 80, 25-37-62) may hit the point total but in many more games. Perron (80, 12-43-55) is ahead of the game but (of course) injured and we don’t have a timeline for return and Smyth (75, 28-9-37) is also tracking well. Gagner has zero points in 2 games, we’ll have to wait awhile to see how he tracks.

lostin

A lot of talk about Kevin Lowe, Craig MacTavish and Dallas Eakins getting fired, but I’m not buying. Craig MacTavish didn’t survive cancer, get his degree and build his resume for a GM job so he could crawl down the hallway and ask Kevin Lowe if he could have the key to the executive washroom. That’s not his style. Lowe may indeed be called in for his expertise, but the buck stops with MacT–I can’t imagine it any other way.

As for Eakins: they hired him for his ideas and ability to turn promising players into NHL players, and you have to give it time. I have a few questions about his decisions, but that’s true of any coach we’ve seen since arriving at the game and evaluating from a coach/manager point-of-view. Eakins has had a rough go, and he’s going to have to change some things, but firing him now is a bad idea.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

lost3TSN 1260 at 10 this morning, Oiler game tonight and Oil Kings too. Scheduled to appear:

1. Bruce McCurdy from Cult of Hockey. Bruce is the calm, experienced voice of reason. We’ll attempt to keep each other from jumping off the ledge.
  2. Andrew Bucholtz 55 yard line. The Eskimos fired their coach yesterday, and the GM is going to search the world over for a new solution.
  3. Ryan Batty, Copper and Blue. The interview outline suggests we’ll talk about tonight’s game, Hall’s return and what MacT can do, but with Batty the discussions usually wander. So, expect submarines and locusts.
  4. Corey Graham, Oil Kings pbp on TSN 1260. Corey gives us an update on the OK and their improving record.

455 Responses to "OILERS AT PANTHERS G16, 13-14"

« Older Comments
  1. Nuckout says:

RexLibris,

I still remember the first time seeing the glowing puck.

Every time I play glow in the dark air hockey I feel like bashing my head through a TV screen for some reason. Is that weird?

2. misfit says:

Is there a stat recorded anywhere for GA when the opposing team pulls the goalie? Because I’d bet money we’re lapping the field by now.

3. pboy says:

Will Acton could use a night off, I thought he was terrible out there. Maybe move Arco to 2C and let Gagner find his game on the 4th line?

4. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Well, I’ll take that one. A bit dirty against a lowly franchise, but we needed it. RNH and Ebs looked good tonight. They had some jump and dangle. Yak, Yak, yak, he is truly burying himself.

With respect to Arcobello, I would argue he has earned the 2C role for now and shouldn’t be bumped because someone ‘more established is back on the roster. In a meritocracy and particularly in professional sports, you earn your role. It’s up to Gagner to take it back. Seems like a healthy and sensible way to approach it.

Congrats to Fedun. Awesome to see.

5. Nuckout says:

pboy,

I’m not sold on Acton one damn bit. I hope Eakins can make an objective decision on him when he needs to.

6. PunjabiOil says:

Nuckout:
    pboy,

I’m not sold on Acton one damn bit. I hope Eakins can make anobjective decision on him when he needs to.

7. dessert1111 says:

I wonder at what point Eakins’ hand is forced to swap arco and gagner. I suppose he might want to keep arco with Gordon for a tough minutes line, but to this point I think he’s been running power vs power anyway.

Gagner still needs to get his legs, but I’m starting to remember how frustrating he can be in the d zone. And with faceoffs. I think it makes sense to move him — always have — but there’s the problem of center depth. The other issue is that if you have gagner and arco on the same line they are similar players. Too bad mact wouldn’t trade gagner, he might be able to help fetch a good d or g.

8. cc says:

To all you Nick Schultz haters out there, lets hear a little love for him tonight. Played Great

9. pboy says:

4 – 93 – 14
    57 – 26 – 64
    94 – 27 – 83
    6 – 89 – ?

That’s what I would try.

10. Brackenburied says:

cc:
    To all you Nick Schultz haters out there, lets hear a little love for him tonight.Played Great

I did not like Sholdtz at all last year. This year he has caught my eye in a positive way on occasion

11. SK Oiler Fan says:

Has MacT seen enough yet? It seems half the goals DD let’s in should be stopped by an average NHL goalie. Put BTO back in for TB

12. pboy says:

He didn’t come on the road trip, groin injury.

Nuckout:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I agree, but there may come a point this season where he comes to a definitive crossroads if he cannot produce. I don’t fully believe the rumours that he is a problem child in the dressing room, but there is a disconnect somewhere. He’s clearly having issues getting in line.

When he’sbenched for the last 10 AND ot, vs. Florida no less,Eakins has no confidence in his game.

He’s a rookie.

Most NHL coaches hate rookies because they make a lot of mistakes.

Look at how Thorton, Stamkos and Seguin were handled their rookie years.

Coaches don’t play rookies late in close games.

All of em.

Numenius:
    Arcobello now leading the rookie scoring race with 12 points. (Hertl 11, Monohan, 11)

Would just love it.

15. TeeVee says:

pboy:
    4 – 93 – 14
    57 – 26 – 64
    94 – 27 – 83
    6 – 89 – 68

That’s what I would try.

Woodguy: He’s a rookie.

Most NHL coaches hate rookies because they make a lot of mistakes.

Look at how Thorton, Stamkos and Seguin were handled their rookie years.

Coaches don’t play rookies late in close games.

All of em.

Exactly. The problem here is that with the team losing so much there’s zero room for error. Eakins cut down his bench and then cut it down again–he ended up (poor bastard) loaning his best defensive center (apologies to RNH who is brilliant) to that 2line just so they wouldn’t give up even more chances.

If we look back to when Hall and Eberle broke in (Horcoff) and then compare to Yakupov this season, it’s easy to see how the young man would get confused.

And then the coach (the 3-10-2 coach) begins to think about the final score midway through the third and it’s a thanks for coming.

Bowman did this in the SIXTIES!

17. misfit says:

Woodguy: It would be really awesome that after 3 1st over alls, and all the other great young players to play for the Oilers since 1979 that their first Calder trophy goes to an un-drafted undersized long shot like Arco.

Would just love it.

Unfortunately, I doubt half of the people who vote on the Calder even know who he is.

18. Nuckout says:

Woodguy,

You’re so right. I keep getting wrapped up in the bs trade rumours and the fact he was a number one pick. I keep expecting so much more than what he’s capable of right now.

I hate it when someone brings sober rationale to a conversation.

19. Thiru says:

Woodguy: He’s a rookie.

Most NHL coaches hate rookies because they make a lot of mistakes.

Look at how Thorton, Stamkos and Seguin were handled their rookie years.

Coaches don’t play rookies late in close games.

All of em.

Yeah nothing to worry about.

I thought Yak looked a bit better today on the PP, got a couple nice one-timers off. I think when Gagner gets back up to speed (I agree with LT, he looks a bit slow), we’ll start to see him create a little bit more at EV.

Yak’s shooting percentage is just 3.4% this year, he’s probably due for a 2 goal game. Once that happens the floodgates will open for him, IMO.

Apparently Bob said during the second intermission that ALL of Hall, Perron and Joensuu play Saturday in PHI.

I heard Perron didn’t even make the trip?

4-93-14
    57-89-83
    6-27-64 (a boy lost his Kaptain. Gordon is a good substitute. 4 and 14 got to play with their Kaptain all their rookie season, poor Yak only got 20 games or so)

94-26-20

Feel free to swap 94 with 6 if 94 is going better.

94 had a good game tonight. Many smart plays and played with some pep.

83 had a great game too until the unfortunate turnover and missed coverage.

Was first back on the back check very often.

I don’t see how you trade 83 on a team that’ struggling with team defense.

21. Nuckout says:

misfit,

Hell, are the Oilers even allowed to be considered for NHL awards?

22. TeeVee says:

As small as Arco is, I’ve really only seen him get mauled a few times. He has no problem hitting the bigger guys; he’s really compact.

If he was mean like Theo Fleury, I doubt there would be much discussion about his size.

23. Nuckout says:

TeeVee,

I do think over time Arco will develop a more aggressive approach, just simply from the need to adapt to this league. If he does, look out.

24. jp says:

Hockeyman 99:
    jp,

I understand holding out hope for his game to round out but I think Yak is a better bet to keep if you have to move someone. They have holes in net and the blue that can’t be solved without giving something up and I think he is the logical choice to move. No? Or we stand pat and draft our way out of this in 3 more years.

Oh sure, if we’re talking about “which of the core should be moved to fill the holes on the team” than Gagner is near the top of that list. I’ve been responding primarily to the “Arcobello has made Gagner expendable/Arcobello has taken Gagner’s job” comments though.

Gagner is an established top 6 NHL player. IMO Arcobello is a long way from taking Gagner’s job or making Gagner expendable. For sure Gagner has trade value because he’s a young skilled player with upside. But if you trade him for a D or G he still has to be replaced – I certainly wouldn’t be comfortable anointing Arcobello as 2C of the future after just 16 games. I also think there’s a real good chance Gagner improves his defensive game and remains part of this team for the long term.

25. Colonel Obvious says:

That game really separated who can play and who can’t, and most of it is pretty obvious.

Larsen and Arcobello can really play in all facets of the game. I’ve seen enough. Larsen is our best puck mover, he can really skate, and he battles. Arcobello isn’t a one-dimensional player, he’s a mini-Gordon with offensive chops. Very solid.

On the other side, Gagner has been completely terrible. I usually discount talk of players being soft as silly nonsense but it actually is true about Gagner, at least these games. He doesn’t close down the puck, he glides towards it, and you can’t play a pressure game if you play like that. Gagner has to change or he has to go and if there is a trade he’s the guy to trade.

Will Acton is terrible. He brings absolutely nothing of quality. He isn’t good at clearing the zone, he isn’t fast, he makes giveaways like an offensive player while bringing nothing on offense.

Smid treats the puck like a grenade. I like him and appreciate what he brings but he isn’t cheap. If a trade happens from the D I hope it’s him assuming it brings back value.

Those are the main points. Also:

Hemsky is great. I wish Gagner would play like he does.

I agree with those who have liked N. Schultz more lately.

I’m not buying Fedun stock yet.

26. stevezie says:

Woodguy: I don’t see how you trade 83 on a team that’ struggling with team defense.

Depends on who you are getting back. Hemsky is respectable in his own zone, but he cashes his cheques for scoring and he hasn’t done enough of it this season. If the guy we get back is even better than respectable in his own zone it starts to make sense.

Hemsky has long been my favourite player. I’m not running him out of town, I’m admitting he is no longer essential, and there is probably a good trade out there. Willis says impending UFA Girardi is struggling.

27. Colonel Obvious says:

jp,

I agree that there is no such thing as one player making another expendable.

It really struck me watching the Ducks last night. The Oilers traded Penner and Cogliano without replacing them with anyone. The result was they were down two NHL quality players.

So there is no addition by subtraction. If you trade Gagner it is only to bring more back in return.

28. Bos8 says:

Hemsky made two passes on that quality PP – Eberle and RNH both fanned on open nets.

29. TeeVee says:

Colonel Obvious,

When this Larsen kid pinches, he still beats everyone back to his end of the ice.

Take note, Jultz.

Bos8:

That one 2 minute PP should have scored though. Man that was a nice powerplay (save for the no goal). Thought Nuge scored twice on it. And that’s one area where J Schultz was missed, he slings that thing and gets it on net.

31. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

TeeVee,

I hadn’t seen much of Larson previously but he was a real pleasant surprise tonight.

32. refmaksy says:

What’s up with Ebs? Has anyone ever seen him miss a scoring chance from 5 feet in front of the net there? Left all alone with 2 minutes left. if he scores the game is done.

33. Bos8 says:

I see Hemsky and RNH reading the ice, making high percentage plays. Surprisingly Arco seems to be another. He was ready for the one timer. Yale will out.

refmaksy:
    What’s up with Ebs? Has anyone ever seen him miss a scoring chance from 5 feet in front of the net there?Left all alone with 2 minutes left.if he scores the game is done.

I think he has been hurt for a little while. Eberle had a brilliant three or four games awhile back but hasn’t been the same since Hall left.

I remember he got hurt driving to the net, maybe same game as Hall’s injury.

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’ve seen Same Gagner pretty bad these last few games too…

but I wanted to remind everyone not only is he coming off injury and probably rusty… he’s got that damn cone of shame on:

I imagine that impacts just about everything in his game from vision to breathing to simple comfort and everything in-between.

Not an excuse. But a factor worth noting.

Also, I really like this Larsen kid. Tiny sample, but I think he could be a marvellous bonus in the Horcoff contract dump.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Eberle had a brilliant three or four games awhile back but hasn’t been the same since Hall left.

None of us has.

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

For some reason I was suddenly struck with the thought: “How’s Gary doing?”

And… pow! 14 hours ago he signed in the K:

weird.

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jesus…. check out of the logo on Gary’s new team, Barys Astana!

39. Hammers says:

Face it we got 2 points but the game could have slipped away .Basically Eakins panicked when they got there 2nd .Rewatch and look at his face .I knew it was going to be tied and we nearly fell to pieces . Eakins needs to put Gags on the wing and let Arco stay in the middle as he gives us face off wins and a 200′ game just like Gordon & RNH . when healthy ( if ever ) my lines would be Gordon Hemsky Perron / RNH Ebs Hall / Arco Gags Yak /Joensuu & Smyth on the wings with Lander / Acton Gazdic when and as needed . Pleased with Larsens game & he deserves #6-7 spot . Great game for Fedun but he needs to be played more minutes before I would make a decision .

40. Numenius says:

Would just love it.

Good call. That would be music.

41. Ray says:

A general question for the group.

Is Arcobello the Pisani we’ve been waiting for?

42. G Money says:

Just got home and watched the game on PVR. Thoughts:

- I was bummed that the Oilers only scraped out a 4-3 OT win. Then I had to remind myself: they pretty much dominated the game. And they’re missing FIVE starters for heaven’s sake. Good victory. They’re not going to beat many good teams scrambling that much in the d zone and firing blanks on so many ten-bell chances – but it’ll be a different team with Hall, Perron, Belov, and Joensuu (and maybe even Jultz) back in the lineup.

- Larsen looked darn good out there. Yay Arco. Even more yay Fedun – couldn’t write a better story. And no injuries (I think). Have the Hockey Gords finally had their malice sated?

- Dubnyk has to stop that f’in third goal. But I have to say, apart from that he made some good saves. I didn’t think the other two goals were soft.

- Don’t get the hate for Hemsky. Oh wait, yeah I do. He was brilliant in the o zone (should have had two assists), sturdy on the backcheck, and blocked a shot that led to the Fedun goal. Even his mistake didn’t look that bad, it wasn’t that unreasonable a play in that he tried to chip it out along the boards and the Panther player made a (really) good play to keep it in. Coverage problems after that were much more the root cause of the GA than Hemsky’s failed chip.

- I thought Yakupov looked a lot better this game. Still a bit lost defensively, but was in the right place more often than not in the o zone, and didn’t try to constantly deke three players by himself.

43. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’ve seen Same Gagner pretty bad these last few games too…

He looked rusty but also tentative about contact at times. Not too surprising, his jaw must still be pretty painful, and no cage is going to give 100% protection. I’m guessing it’s going to take another couple of games to get his timing back, but that nervousness may not stop until well after the jaw is back to 100% (a common recovery issue for players returning from bad injuries).

44. TartanArmy says:

Just a follow-up on Gagner’ s contract that I was mentioning earlier. Looks like he has a NMC through the end of next season, so he won’t be going anywhere till at least then.

45. dangilitis says:

Woodguy:

I heard Perron didn’t even make the trip?

4-93-14
    57-89-83
    6-27-64 (a boy lost his Kaptain.Gordon is a good substitute. 4 and 14 got to play with their Kaptain all their rookie season, poor Yak only got 20 games or so)

94-26-20

Feel free to swap 94 with 6 if 94 is going better.

94 had a good game tonight.Many smart plays and played with some pep.

83 had a great game too until the unfortunate turnover and missed coverage.

Holy shit, is that 4 forward lines of NHL players? Slotted in appropriate roles? Of course, sans Gazdic, but I assume you slotted him there because MacT/Lowe…. but man I hope Pitlick comes back soon to push Gazdic out.

Agreed about Smyth, especially first game back. He can still be a veteran presence and I have been rooting like hell for him to prove nay sayers wrong.

My question is what to do with the defence?
    Small sample size, but I want defenders who will play well, now.
    I have no problem with Larsen pushing out Nick even at this point if he continues to play like this. I know they are trying to maximize return for Nick at trade deadline, but he should have to continue to earn his time on the 3rd line.

Belov – Petry
    Ference – JSchultz
    Smid/N Schultz – Larsen
    Fedun

Until you trade Nick for 2nd/3rd rounder.
    And try and upgrade Smid.

46. Masamax says:

TartanArmy,

He can be moved this year, as he only has a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ with MacT since RFA years cannot include a NMC.

Oilers recall Omark.

Wonder if Eberle is too hurt to play

There now 3 forwards left in OKC for recall.

Lordy

Actually 4. I forgot that Hamilton was sent down.

49. RMGS says:

I love reading the game threads in the morning (when they don’t icrash), especially after a win.

Folks, as frustrating as he can be, Gagner’s returning from a broken jaw that’s likely still sore (partly why I don’t think he should be on the wing right now). He missed a lot of hockey and will need a few games. Trading him because Arcobello’s looking good (and he is) is silly. Why not keep both good players?

Think to the next week or two when the team has Hall, Perron, Joensuu, and Belov back. That’s better than any trade. (I would have included JSchultz, but he’s been terrible so far.)

50. RMGS says:

Woodguy:
    Oilers recall Omark.

Wonder if Eberle is too hurt to play

There now 3 forwards left in OKC for recall.

Lordy

Looks like Linus went for the full-body wax job.

51. russ99 says:

Omark got called up? Sweet. I hope he grabs this chance and plays his butt off.

Ruh roh… Who’s getting traded?

As much as it would be sad to see him go I sure hope it’s Hemmer and not Yak.

Practical question on Yak: can he be sent to the AHL or can he only go back to Sarnia?

One could be helpful if only for the 14 day limit, the other useless.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    Oilers recall Omark.

Wonder if Eberle is too hurt to play

There now 3 forwards left in OKC for recall.

Lordy

Finally!

I wonder if Ebs or someone else is hurt… or is Omark insurance?

At any rate, better late than never.

Now watch him get scored against twice and be sent back down.

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

RMGS: Looks like Linus went for the full-body wax job.

priceless.

those foot sideburns are the worst.

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Looks like Hamilton sent down at the same time as Omark called up:

Maybe someone finally got to MacT (Nelson?) and it’s just a straight swap.

55. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Looks like Hamilton sent down at the same time as Omark called up:

Maybe someone finally got to MacT (Nelson?) and it’s just a straight swap.

I hope that’s the case.

Because if, say, Eberle is hurt … man oh man, Hockey Gords, I get that you’re haters, but enough is enough.

« Older Comments