OILERS RECALL FEDUN

In what has to be one of the great recent examples of overcoming odds, the Edmonton Oilers recalled Taylor Fedun today. Fedun was well on his way to an NHL debut a couple of years ago when this happened:

STUPID STUPID STUPID

What. an. idiot.

Anyway, Fedun’s progress since the injury has been slow and steady, and he’s managed to get the call. In the summer, I pegged the depth chart like this:

1. Ladislav Smid

12. Taylor Fedun
13. Brandon Davidson
14. Brad Hunt
15. Martin Gernat
16. David Musil
17. Joey Leach

And Fedun beats Klefbom and Marincin in the race to the show. I had him #12 on the summer top 30 and he’s 12, 1-3-4 -3 with the Barons this year. Fedun’s 33 shots on goal are an especially interesting number.

123 Responses to "OILERS RECALL FEDUN"

1. Hammers says:

Deserves a shot but may also be part of a tradeable package . Never underestimate the way GM’s think . Hope he proves he belongs and not just a 1 day/game call up.

I think Taylor Fedun is the end of Nick Schultz when everyone is healthy.

Ference finally has someone to play with.

3. "Steve Smith" says:

At long last! Our long, collective nightmare as Oilers’ fans is finally at an end!

4. "Steve Smith" says:

(I very much doubt that I was attempting to make any kind of point with the above.)

5. Bar_Qu says:

It’s this kind of thing that a fan can take as positives from this season. Good for the guy, hopes he earns enough to build us all hovercrafts we can use to make our commute more enjoyable.

6. lance says:

is there a limit to the number of healthy scratches allowed by the league on any given day? Can Eakins scratch 10 guys for a mid week game and bring up the bulk of the Baron’s roster for a single go round then send them back for their reguarily scheduled weekend romp?

I mean, if they’re not going to going to make the playoffs anyway, how far can they really go to actually send a message?

7. hunter1909 says:

What happens in case it turns out that Fedun gets slaughtered?

I pity him. He’s joining a 3-12 shiteshow of a hockey team.

lance:
    is there a limit to the number of healthy scratches allowed by the league on any given day?Can Eakins scratch 10 guys for a mid week game and bring up the bulk of the Baron’s roster for a single go round then send them back for their reguarily scheduled weekend romp?

9. hunter1909 says:

lance: if they’re not going to going to make the playoffs anyway, how far can they really go to actually send a message?

hunter1909:
    What happens in case it turns out that Fedun gets slaughtered?

I pity him. He’s joining a 3-12 shiteshow of a hockey team.

I don’t think that’s likely. Fedun has played well when given the opportunity. I think there’s a better chance Larsen is sent back before him when everyone starts getting healthy. He’s a good player.

11. TartanArmy says:

Wow…with all these comments over the last few days you’d think the Oilers were a bad team and the fan base had seen enough……did I miss something? I thought we were in the middle of a rebuild…..patience people!
    :P

TartanArmy:
    Wow…with all these comments over the last few days you’d thinkthe Oilers were a bad team and the fan base had seen enough……did I miss something? I thought we were in the middle of a rebuild…..patience people!:P

I’m fine with missing the playoffs this season, but talk of players tuning out leaves me cold. Those words from Ference Saturday are sobering.

13. pboy says:

Off topic. Has anyone else had any issues running this site on their I-Pad for the last week or so? It’s working normally tonight but for the last couple of days, everytime I would start reading, my browser would close down after a few minutes.

Good for Fedun. Maybe a feel good story like his can inject some life into these guys. I can live with them being outclassed and outgunned but there has to be some effort and heart shown. MacT needs to pull a Jason Smith or a Mike Grier type guy out of thin air.

I thought Fedun was one of the best 6 Oilers D in camp.

Glad he’s going to see the ice.

So tomorrow’s pairs are probably:

5-2
    21-15
    Fedun-Larsen

Also,

Mike mentioned on twitter today that with Fedun coming up that the Oilers will have used as many players this year as they did all of last year.

Dark cloud year.

Woodguy:
    I thought Fedun was one of the best 6 Oilers D in camp.

Glad he’s going to see the ice.

So tomorrow’s pairs are probably:

5-2
    21-15
    Fedun-Larsen

Also,

Dark cloud year.

I wonder if they make the lefty-righty thing swing properly:

Smid-Petry
    Ference-Larsen
    Schultz-Fedun

16. Pablo Aimar says:

TartanArmy,

Ha. Anybody who thinks we are in the “middle” of a rebuild doesn’t know how to count.

17. Brackenburied says:

pboy:

Yes. For me the problems happen when the comments list is too long. As soon as a new page is added for the comments the crashing goes away.

18. Brackenburied says:

Speaking of healthy scratches, Ryan Whitney is sorry. http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/category/sports/oil-spills/

pboy:

On my iphone since I upgraded to IOS7, this site craps out most of the time.

Lowetide: I wonder if they make the lefty-righty thing swing properly:

Smid-Petry
    Ference-Larsen
    Schultz-Fedun

Good point.

Will be interesting to see.

21. OilFire says:

“Steve Smith”:
    At long last!Our long, collective nightmare as Oilers’ fans is finally at an end!

“Steve Smith”:

That guy really cracks me up sometimes. Think I woke up the neighbors laughing.

22. Halfwise says:

On my Android device I usually can’t see anything until I resize the screen. Then everything is visible. On the Windows machines it’s all good. But I still hate Windows.

Glad to see Fedun get his chance in the bigs, he’s due.

The team needs 3 wins this trip to get some fans back on the bandwagon. No breath is being held in this household, I assure you.

There is never just one cause for organizations doing badly, and this one looks complicated to me. But if I had to point out one recurring theme, it’s that the young core here does not play defensive hockey the way that established professional coaches believe is necessary to win games. The young core’s argument would be more convincing if they had consistently, um, won games.

I would conclude from the behaviour of Eakins that he has invited those who insist on doing things their way to prove it or STFU. But people who have always been stars don’t like to STFU.

This will work itself out, in my view. Just need to let the head-butting run its course. By then the season will be lost, and self-respecting fans will have poured out their bitterness and transferred their affection to Chicago or Tampa Bay, depending on whether they can cheer for a Western Conference rival or not. But it’s just people and power struggles and a discussion about whose will should prevail, and it has to happen. It’s a shame, but the sun will still rise tomorrow.

I only liked some of my bosses. But I respected the strong ones, regardless of whether I liked them.

Taylor Fedun sounds to me like a strong man. The team could use his story, and that Davidson fellow’s as well, when they start to get distracted about how hard their lives are.

23. Andy P says:

godot10: On my iphone since I upgraded to IOS7, this site craps out most of the time.

Upgrade to an S4 :)

24. Rebilled says:

25. Nuckout says:

Guys like Fedun are the future of this team, so like Arcobello, I am cheering hard for him to make an impact and surprise a few people.

Motivationally speaking, it would be a bit of a wake up call for the rest of the team if Fedun makes it hard for management to send him back down, as it would go to show the incumbents there are players ready to outplay them, and eventually take their roster spot.

26. Andy P says:

They should put Gags back on IR and then send him down to the A for a conditioning stint, perhaps that would help his 200 ft game?

If every team is going to kick our ass while resting their good players, we may as well use those games to develop our team…..

27. Henry says:

Two positives in a terrible week of hockey.

I’ve been saving the last couple ounces of a bottle of Lagavulin for the past year waiting for something to celebrate. Nothing very great happened for me, I guess, so I poured it for Taylor Fedun.

Taylor Fedun makes the show, damn. I feel great for him. Though the ECAC is good hockey, it is really hard to make the show out of there and even harder out of Princeton which was not a hockey power (that may have changed recently, I don’t know). After that injury, quitting would have been easy especially with the talent ahead of him and the decency of his backup plan.

Perserverance, effort. I admire it. The whisky looks like motor oil, smells like my sandals and tastes great. Clap, clap.

2nd positive, Belov can travel. Almost a miracle.

28. lance says:

Lowetide: 23 man roster has to be respected, so if they could option out 10 guys without risking waivers they could do it, but in practice it doesn’t make sense. The Oilers CAN begin healthy scratching players when the roster depth returns without calling to OKC and it’ll be interesting to see if Eakins does in fact HS some of the players who are considering every-nighters.

Okay. So the healthy scratches are part of the 23. Or, if they scratched 6 they’d have Meeker’s 17. Seems strangely doable. It’d be quite a message at least.

Is it Eakin’s call normally or does a GM sometimes have say in the HS deployment?

hunter1909: The players who read this blog already know the management running their team are buffoons.

you think players read this blog? Which ones? If I were a player all full of self righteous entitlement I would most certainly steer far far away.

And I want to add that Denny’s line, “I’m going to score goals sucka!” has had me laughing all day.

29. fifthcartel says:

Seems like the Oilers brain trust (MacT, Lowe, Messier?) are all scouting the NYR/Anaheim game tonight.

fifthcartel:

Mcdonagh will break his leg.

31. bookje says:

iphone/Ipad problem has been around for a long time. Any post where LT embeds a video is a problem. Sometimes they work when the comment numbers are low.

I have raised the issue with LT and Danny in the past and suggested some fixes, but there doesn’t seem to be an interest in fixing it. I suspect they don’t have an iphone.

32. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”:

This was great!

33. "Steve Smith" says:

lance: you think players read this blog?Which ones?

I don’t know if it counts, but I’m a former Oiler player.

(Ilya Byakin.)

34. bookje says:

Anyone else starting to wonder if Gotdot10 is actually Ralph Krueger?

35. Bruce McCurdy says:

Great news for Fedun, I hope it’s more of a courtesy call than the one Brandon Davidson got. Let him play, things could hardly get worse.

A terrific kid who would be easy to root for even without the back story. I’ll be pulling hard for him.

36. Bruce McCurdy says:

Speak of McDonagh, there he is giving Corey F. Perry the business.

Not that Oilers could use a guy like that or anything.

37. Nuckout says:

Halfwise:

Sometimes I don’t get the impression that Eakins is exactly an “A” type personality.

His demeanor may have worked in the AHL so well because players in the minors always have the carrot in front of them, so following the team’s systems and busting your ass is a no brainer, if it means an easier path to the bigs.

Prove me wrong, but when I see Eakins behind the bench, I see a man deep in analytical thought, and not a man who’s main concern is motivating and firing up his players. Sometimes a good swift kick in the ass is all these guys need, not spending copious amounts of time waxing philosophically on systems and x’s and o’s.

But what the hell do I know.

bookje:
    iphone/Ipad problem has been around for a long time.Any post where LT embeds a video is a problem.Sometimes they work when the comment numbers are low.

I have raised the issue with LT and Danny in the past and suggested some fixes, but there doesn’t seem to be an interest in fixing it.I suspect they don’t have an iphone.

We have budgeted for it in 2014.

39. bookje says:

Lowetide: We have budgeted for it in 2014.

bookje: There is nothing more frustrating than having the perfect comment ready to go, be half way through typing it and ~CRASH~.

You know?

41. bookje says:

Lowetide: Well, here’s the deal. I pass stuff off to Danny, who helps when he can. Danny has done about 200 hours of work for ZERO dollars and honestly I don’t feel like saying ‘hey, friend, what’s up with the thing on the thing.”

You know?

I never dreamed that it was for zero dollars (seriously) – carry on!

42. stevezie says:

Rebilled: The thing about Fedun is that he really puts the ‘ed’ back into ‘fun’, right Geno??

Took me a second, but this is fantastic.

43. bookje says:

Also, why is it for zero dollars – you know we will give you money if you let us – just put a button up – or a slot in the screen or something!

bookje: I never dreamed that it was for zero dollars (seriously) – carry on!

Well, I do pass along dollars to charity and will buy him a beer (a really big beer, mind you) when I see him.

45. bookje says:

Speaking of Gino – I used to like his shtick, but I HATE his prop thing – absolutely hate it!

46. Nuckout says:

bookje:

He’s hockey’s version of Howie Mandel.

Or Bobby Hill.

47. "Steve Smith" says:

bookje: There is nothing more frustrating than…

Do you even watch the games?

bookje:

49. Halfwise says:

Nuckout: Sometimes a good swift kick in the ass is all these guys need, not spending copious amounts of time waxing philosophically on systems and x’s and o’s.I think this is the disconnect of the players not following the systems right now. But what the hell do I know.

Those who recommend firing this coach because he’s “lost the room” don’t appear to have had to live with the consequences of letting the inmates run the asylum.

This power struggle is about whether Oiler management has the authority to do what it is accountable for, build a team that can win regular season and playoff games despite roster turnover and injuries.

50. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: I decided to do ads instead. I don’t think people should pay for the exchange of ideas, especially when I get just as much from reading it as anyone else does in coming here. It’s a community, hosts don’t charge guests to drop by for coffee.

Ever think of buying a Starbucks franchise? That’d be awesome.

Bruce McCurdy: Ever think of buying a Starbucks franchise? That’d be awesome.

My entire family LIVES at Starbucks, it would cost me less!

52. russ99 says:

bookje,

My iPad trick is to use a browser with a load progress bar (Safari seems to work better than Chrome) and once the comments come up (the load bar is halfway-ish) then hit the X icon to stop the page loading the rest of the way.

No more crashes. I dig this site so much, it’s worth it having to do that.

“Steve Smith”: Do you even watch the games?

No, he just looks at his spreadsheet and sees Gene’s Props/60 going through the roof and thinks “hack”

If he actually watched then he’d see that its not a Gallagher/Watermellon schtick, but a true branching out of an artist to new horizons and that sometimes learning is ugly.

Gene finally bought into the system and Bookie can’t put his calculator down enough to even notice it happened.

54. Nuckout says:

Halfwise: There are lots of different kinds of power, but the one that everyone “gets” is that mojo that shows whose will is strongest. When management, Eakins specifically, wins the stare-down contest at least the players will do their best to learn new habits.

I probably should have worded that a little differently. I really do believe that Eakins will prevail eventually. Firing him right now would be absolutely ridiculous, but by the end of the season, if Eakins doesn’t have all of the inmates in line working together, that would be a telling sign that he has lost the room with his approach. What is happening right now cannot continue, and Eakins recognises this, but he has to find a way. Changing the direction and mentality of this team right now falls on Eakins, and it is a must before dominos begin to fall.

It’s not so much a power struggle, rather than a complete breakdown in communication, and it’s up to Eakins and above to initiate that change. It’s up to the players right now to put on their big girl panties, man up and start playing real hockey, or risk the consequences.

55. 8p0intgame says:

Sam Gagner has been my favorite player for a very long time, but I think Marc Acrobello has earned Gagner’s position. I know, I know… Trading Gagner after giving him a verbal no-trade clause is bad form… But, if the right trade came along, I think I would do it. Besides, what free agent would want to play for the Oilers at this point in time without a serious overpay anyway?

Mike working on something pretty cool:

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 3 Nov
    Here’s a fun stat: rebounds within 3 seconds account for 12% of all shots on goal, but over 38% of all goals.

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 2m
    @BruceMcCurdy @woodguy55 just like the older research, effect of rebounds on SH% diminishes greatly after 3 seconds.

It was also posted (by Tyler I think) that the SH% on rebounds within 3 second converges on 25%.

So,

-38% of goals on a rebound even though they only make up 12% of shots
    -Effect lasts 3 seconds
    -25% SH% on rebounds

Sounds like it would really help to stand close to the net.

Who knew?

57. russ99 says:

I’m sure the Oilers kicked the tires on a Gagner trade this summer, and didn’t like the return.

Otherwise, why give him an NTC? Theoretically that means he has more worth to the Oilers than we’d get back for him on the open market.

58. stevezie says:

Halfwise,

If there really is a staring contest taking place, then we need Eakins to win it. Need it. It’s one thing if your inmates have experience guiding past asylums to success, but in our case… Mark Messier taking out Roger Nielson this ain’t.

That there is even talk of an inmates’ revolution after the last four years is proof that they’re in the right place. And so are we if we empower it psychically.

8p0intgame:

I don’t think that’s a reasonable solution.

1. We don’t have proof Arcobello can post offense expected of a 2line C. A nice beginning, but a very small sample and he’s an older guy.
    2. If you’re going to deal Gagner, do it for a better player. The Oilers can add other pieces, grab a center who has a wider range of skills.

I remain convinced trading Gagner at this time is a terrible idea. MAYBE 30 cents on the dollar return.

60. stevezie says:

russ99:

This adds up.

61. Numenius says:

I love this.

The problem with the Oilers is that they don’t know how to use losses as positive lessons for how to win the next time. Instead they feel sorry for themselves (just like the fans).

I don’t see signs that Fedun’s ever felt sorry for himself, even after all he’s been through.

Not sure if he’s enough to cut through the poison, but he’ll definitely help.

62. lance says:

Is that 30 cents on perceived value according to who? Edmonton fans?

I need units.

63. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: Sounds like it would really help to stand close to the net.

Who knew?

Sounds like Ryan Jones to me.

(ducking / running)

64. Gret99zky says:

After the last few days of reading some very good posts here I tried going back to find the press conference of MacT’s hiring as GM.

Not having a lot of luck finding it.

It’s not the 6 rings rant about winning I want to watch again but the part where one of the reporters asks “how the same guys that helped get the Oilers into this mess are expected to get them out”.

I agree it’s the players who need to step up but a lot of the comments about management led me to thinking about that part of the conference.

lance: Is that 30 cents on perceived value according to who?Edmonton fans?

I need units.

Edmonton fans value Gagner, and if they don’t there’s not much you or I can do for them. He’s a flawed player, we’ve known that since 2007 but he can also impact the game offensively and that has value.

However, he’s coming off an injury and team will want to see him healthy before giving up true value. And of course Edmonton is in the ditch (standings) so it’s not going to be easy to deal anyone for full value currently.

66. 8p0intgame says:

IMHO, Acrobello has a poor shot, but he is a good playmaker. He should continue doing well alongside the Oilers talented wingers. He also has a nice dark blue bubble on the Vollman Sledgehammer in a “less sheltered” role and a FO% above 50%.

*EDIT: I am not screaming for a Gagner trade, I hope to Gord that he gets healthy and starts winning faceoffs and playing better defensively… But I think that is unlikely.

67. spoiler says:

Good for Fedun. I saw him play live before the injury and he impressed. Then he had a helluva camp this year. It would be captain freaking fantastic if he could be another Arcobello-like find… as slim as those odds may be.

If Belov is on the trip, he must be made of rubber bands and springy balls. His leg looked horrific bending behind him as he went into the wall. I hope he isn`t trying to be strong like bull, smart like tractor.

The next game is a real pride game, after that debacle on national television. Surely they can`t mail it in like that again. And it comes against a team they should beat. If I`m the coach, I`m pointing out the standings and telling the players, `It obviously ain`t working your way. Can we try my way now?`

68. Andy P says:

lance: Is that 30 cents on perceived value according to who?Edmonton fans?

I need units.

You need units. You get eunuchs.

69. oliveoilers says:

I am always mildly amused by some people’s assertions that because a certain Captain of the Oilers has won a cup, that he is a shoe in, and knows what it takes to win. Let’s do an activity they do in my daughter’s school where a subject is given by the teacher and the kids, one at a time, have to give a word or name associated with it. For example: A type of evergreen tree.

1. Spruce
    2. Pine
    3. Fir

And so on, until someone can’t answer! Now let us try!
    The subject is: Players who have won a cup, know what it takes to win and by some people’s logic makes them worthy of a heavy 4 year contract and the captaincy. I’ll start.

1. Jamal Mayers

70. David says:

oliveoilers:
    I am always mildly amused by some people’s assertions that because a certain Captain of the Oilers has won a cup, that he is a shoe in, and knows what it takes to win.Let’s do an activity they do in my daughter’s school where a subject is given by the teacher and the kids, one at a time, have to give a word or name associated with it.For example:A type of evergreen tree.

1. Spruce
    2.Pine
    3.Fir

And so on, until someone can’t answer!Now let us try!
    The subject is:Players who have won a cup, know what it takes to win and by some people’s logic makes them worthy of a heavy 4 year contract and the captaincy.I’ll start.

1.Jamal Mayers

Watch Andrew Ference on after hours. I think he knows what it takes to win. Ference is not the problem with this team. We could use three more Ferences.

71. 8p0intgame says:

David,

Maybe three younger, better Andrew Ferences.

72. Nuckout says:

ummm.. Steve Smith?

stevezie:
    Halfwise,

Where is Cal Nichols when you need him? Oops…I think he is on Katz’s payroll, from crony eliminator, to crony himself.

74. oliveoilers says:

David,

No, what I’m saying is that some people seem to think that this automatically qualifies him to upper leadership in this team without so much as playing a competitive game here. Ference is a bulldog, I love his fight and you’re right, he is not the problem. But he is what he is. A 3rd pairing D on #2,3,4 money, a 4yr contract at 34, and the skipper no less. Don’t forget, we already have someone who ‘knows how to win.’ I think you mean 3 players with Ference’s tenacity? 3 with his skill level would really kill all hope. Plus you broke the rules of the game. I still need a name!

75. G Money says:

Lowetide: Bruce McCurdy: Ever think of buying a Starbucks franchise? That’d be awesome.
    My entire family LIVES at Starbucks, it would cost me less!

Sadly, Starbucks does not franchise.

You could have a Timmy’s for about a half million or so, though.

Invest the big bucks this site generates!

76. spoiler says:

oliveoilers:
    David,

No, what I’m saying is that some people seem to think that this automatically qualifies him to upper leadership in this team without so much as playing a competitive game here.Ference is a bulldog, I love his fight and you’re right, he is not the problem.But he is what he is.A 3rd pairing D on #2,3,4 money, a 4yr contract at 34, and the skipper no less.Don’t forget, we already have someone who ‘knows how to win.’ I think you mean 3 players with Ference’s tenacity?3 with his skill level would really kill all hope.Plus you broke the rules of the game.I still need a name!

Name the last team to win the Stanley Cup with a 30-something third pairing defensemen or lhird line forward as the captain of the team. That’s the plan in Edmonton.

(It is Smid, Belov, Ference the moment right…and maybe soon to be Belov, Smid, Ference).

It worked so well the first time with Ethan Moreau, they are doing it again with Andrew Ference.

Both Moreau and Ference talked themselves into 4-year contracts from MacTLowe. Ference bettering Moreau with a full no move.

The captain is never going to be out on the ice leading the charge and calming the waters in the critical moments. A captain for MacT and Eakins is someone who cheers from the bench.

78. Thinker says:

I remember in the summer I proposed the idea of bringing back Gilbert. A top 4 dman on the cheap, who could solidify the top of the roster? Seemed like a no brainer. The general reaction was we have too many dmen already, and Gilbert sucks. Fast forward to today, Tom Gilbert is a top two dman (albeit on the lowly panthers) and Edmontons top four is a mess. Just thought I’d say I told you so.

spoiler: He`s third among Dmen in TOI, so his contract fits. His brains, commitment, experience, maturity… all make him a good choice for the captaincy.

Ference probably makes N Schultz moot, and maybe Laddy too if Belov works out. I’m fine with that result.

80. oliveoilers says:

Lowetide: I think the value of Ference as captain was shown on HNIC Saturday night. He laid it out there, and as Tyler Dellow said on the show today that’s a guy who has seen the lowest low’s and the difference between the current Oilers and the Stanley Bruins.

No, buddy. You simply do not say that on national TV. What he had to say needed to be kept in the room. He played brinkmanship, and has just used his big gun. What does he use now? As skipper, he can’t trade anyone or sit anyone so his leadership has to be by example. I served as a nato peacekeeper and we were taught to only raise our rifles as an absolute last resort. Because do you know what the next step is? That’s right, shooting someone who is just angry because their country is effed up by other people. That’s what Ference did. You do NOT air your dirty laundry in public, no matter how you feel. A time and a place LT. We now know that Ference is the kind of leader to throw the platoon on the hand grenade…..

81. nez29 says:

bookje,
    I merely hate Gino. Cripes, his forced grade 7 crap wasn’t funny three years ago. I don’t expect Edward R. Frigging Murrow on a house show, but jeeezus —-him and Debrusk are awful. I can actually stand Quinn. Makes a guy miss Harry Neale, who was at least funny once in awhile.

82. "Steve Smith" says:

Thinker,

Um, I’m pretty sure that you didn’t get that reaction around here, where the overall consensus is and always has been strongly pro-Gilbert.

83. David says:

oliveoilers: No, buddy.You simply do not say that on national TV.What he had to say needed to be kept in the room.He played brinkmanship, and has just used his big gun.What does he use now?As skipper, he can’t trade anyone or sit anyone so his leadership has to be by example.I served as a nato peacekeeper and we were taught to only raise our rifles as an absolute last resort.Because do you know what the next step is?That’s right, shooting someone who is just angry because their country is effed up by other people.That’s what Ference did.You do NOT air your dirty laundry in public, no matter how you feel.A time and a place LT.We now know that Ference is the kind of leader to throw the platoon on the hand grenade…..

Ference was asked a question and gave an answer that fit the storyline, didn’t throw anyone under the bus (as I recall he said the message was clear and the execution wasn’t there).

Who specifically did he throw under the bus?

If Ference believes in accountability, why did he ask for a no move contract?

He is never going to have to put up or shut up in critical situations because he is not going to be the guy on the ice in the crucial moments, and he has the ultimate in job protection.

Smid didn’t insist on a NMC. Nor did Hall, or Eberle, for the unrestricted years they signed for.

Those NMC’s create multiple classes of players. Any captain worth his salt would surrender his no move clause.

86. Ribs says:

Gagner has as many goals as Arcobello in 13 less games :P I kid, I kid.

I’m cheering for Arcobello but I haven’t seen much to make me believe he could be a Gagner replacement. If you want to replace Gagner, replace him with someone clearly better than him.

87. oliveoilers says:

David: Any Oiler that disagreed with what he said is exactly the type of player he’s talking about.

Only the true messiah would say that he’s not the messiah!

Well what bloody chance does that give me?

He is the messiah! I should know, I’ve followed a few!

88. "Steve Smith" says:

godot10:
    If Ference believes in accountability, why did he ask for a no move contract?

Oh, for the love of…

Seriously, Godot, you make good points from time to time, and I thought (and continue to think) that the Ference signing was crap, but you have so completely lost the thread on everything related to the current state of the Oilers that I would really encourage you to take a month or so off from Oilers’ fandom, or at least this board. That sort of thing does all of us good from time to time.

We’ll wait for you.

89. Nuckout says:

oliveoilers,

did you expect him to be spewing sunshine and puppy dogs?

he was pretty open, which oilers fans haven’t heard for a good while.

90. Andy P says:

godot10:
    If Ference believes in accountability, why did he ask for a no move contract?

Smid didn’t insist on a NMC.Nor did Hall, or Eberle, for the unrestricted years they signed for.

Those NMC’s create multiple classes of players.Any captain worth his salt would surrender his no move clause.

A no move clause is something a high end player can demand so they can control their own destiny, in particular when they are joining a team going through difficulties. There is nothing immoral about that.

godot10:
    If Ference believes in accountability, why did he ask for a no move contract?

WHAT? What in Christ are you saying?

92. Nuckout says:

Andy P,

As well, Ference made the point that he wants to be here. He believes in his role and the future.

93. "Steve Smith" says:

Lowetide: WHAT? What in Christ are you saying?

Thanks for that, LT; I feared that my own response to Godot’s question might run afoul of the civility rules around here, so it’s nice to have your confirmation that I was actually being rather mild.

94. Ribs says:

Just a fun thought….

Smid-Petry
    Souray-J.Schultz
    Ference-Gilbert
    Belov-Potter

Too bad about all the fuckery.

95. Schitzo says:

“Steve Smith”: Oh, for the love of…

Seriously, Godot, you make good points from time to time, and I thought (and continue to think) that the Ference signing was crap, but you have so completely lost the thread on everything related to the current state of the Oilers that I would really encourage you to take a month or so off from Oilers’ fandom, or at least this board.That sort of thing does all of us good from time to time.

We’ll wait for you.

Ok, thank you for this. I haven’t said anything myself because I’m not exactly an active commenter, but Godot, you are losing it. Take a breath, man.

96. stevezie says:

godot10: I think people are confused as to who the real(TM) inmates are. During the dark days of the nineties, the OIlers offices were overflowing with Sather’s cronies, much like the Oilers offices today are overflowing with Lowe’s cronies.

Fair point.

godot10: If Ference believes in accountability, why did he ask for a no move contract?

Insane point. I don’t know where to begin, so I’m not going to.

I will add that while your first point has something to it, it doesn’t completely add up. Management is bad because they built bad teams, which are bad because they have what kind of players?

What I’m saying is bad management doesn’t let the players off the hook. It can be both. Even with all the injuries, I’m sure we can agree that this roster is good enough to look better than they did against Detroit.

That might be coaching, definitely. I just don’t understand your certainty. I don’t like it, in fact.

97. cabbiesmacker says:

Andy P: A no move clause is something a high end player can demand so they can control their own destiny,

But, what does this have to do with Andrew Ference?

98. jp says:

Hammers:

Fedun is exactly the kind of player who will make “established NHLers” expendable, but he’s not much of a trade chip. I don’t think other GMs will see his value for what it is – he’s 25, doesn’t have draft pedigree, and his numbers don’t jump out at you. He certainly may make NSchultz redundant, but his value to the Oilers is greater than it would be as a trade asset. Great to see him get a chance regardless.

Woodguy:

Dark cloud year.

That is remarkable and sure reflects some ugly things (injury and play). At the same time, the relatively small number of players used last year is indicative of the past problems. The lack of roster turnover year over year (11-12 vs 12-13) as well as through last season has to be pretty unusual for such a bad team.

Lowetide: Mcdonagh willbreak his leg.

Careful LT, that could be some bad karma.

The jury is still out obviously, but assuming that Eakins does win the power struggle this is a far better team for it. I don’t think I’ve seen him blink yet, so I think he stands a good chance. Kruger’s approach appears to have been to motivate them to change without strongly challenging them (at least in the short term). This might be the root of the disconnect between Kruger and MacT. Things are ugly right now, and writing off the playoffs for an 8th straight season is hard to believe, but it appears this may be a necessary part of the process. I think Eakins wins and this team improves dramatically over the next few months. If not, Eakins will always have the Kadri success story.

Bruce McCurdy: Sounds like Ryan Jones to me.

(ducking / running)

I’m guessing that 25% shot rate drops if you’re on you’re butt though, no?

99. stevezie says:

Lowetide: WHAT? What in Christ are you saying?

Comment of the year, considering the source. I found reading it cathartic.

What am I saying? Ference is a lot like the coach, who is a lot like the GM, who is a lot like the promises of Six Rings and Katz. i.e. All hat, no cattle.

Where is Ference’s actual performance to back up his own big talk?

101. stevezie says:

godot10,

“Ference hasn’t been good enough this year” is a long ways away from “Any captain worth his salt would surrender his no move clause.”

102. Bruce McCurdy says:

jp:

I’m guessing that 25% shot rate drops if you’re on you’re butt though, no?

Huh, this year his 2 goals have come on one rebound & one deflection. Going through the video collection of Jones goals at NHL.com they’re pretty much all like that, with a majority coming from <10 feet of the net. Low volume, high percentage shots.

103. bookje says:

Dear D.S.F.

It is with great sorrow modest disappointment that I inform you that your services will no longer be needed here at LT’s site. For years, you have served us well and kept conversations going with your nearly rational quips using selective statistics to drive people crazy.

Recently, however, we have found a younger, newer model who has taken things to a new level. Gotdot10 brings a level of emotion and belief to his posts that you were never really able to achieve. Those of us who had gotten to know you could sense your smirking as you poked and proded and thus, for us, it got boring long ago.

So, with that we would like to thank you for your time. We are shipping you off to Calgary where your partially true reality checks will hold greater value.

Meanwhile, I plan to enjoy the statement “If Ference believes in accountability, why did he ask for a no move contract?”. Even on your best day, D.S.F., you couldn’t have come up with that one.

Regards,
    The Oilogosphere

104. bookje says:

Here’s good news!

That is good news? Why is Smid involved?

105. Halfwise says:

jp,

stevezie:
    Halfwise,

That’s how I see it too. Get everyone the same sheet of music and make them sing it til they get it right.

106. Hammers says:

Ribs:
    Gagner has as many goals as Arcobello in 13 less games I kid, I kid.

Arco only plays a 200′ game and wins 50%+ on face offs . That maybe a start . Anyway my point is play Gags on the wing with Arco in the middle . In 7 yes 7 years Gags has played just OK and many say his not a 2nd line center but he does put his guts on the line for team and teammates . As you can tell I’m torn with Gags and probably always will be .

107. OilFire says:

godot10:
    What am I saying?Ference is a lot like the coach, who is a lot like the GM, who is a lot like the promises of Six Rings and Katz.i.e. All hat, no cattle.

Sorry to spoil your post Bookie, but Godot is DSF/DCB/QuickSilverBallet(on ON). I’ve noticed all four user accounts use the unusual phrase “all hat, no cattle.” That plus the tone and style are clear matches.

To this four-headed monster: you’ve got some good things about you, but perhaps it’s time to look at why you’re so negative? Maybe some time away from these boards is in order?

108. Henry says:

Here’s good news!

Of all people Mac should know not to trade with Sather.

109. OilLeak says:

Here’s good news!

Trading Yakupov is good news? Good news sure isn’t what it used to be.

Other good news(relatively) for Oiler fans:

1. Hall hasn’t spontaneously combusted (yet)
    2. Petry looks like a NHL defender most nights
    3. As does Belov
    4. The horrendous 4th line is so terrible that it never sees the ice.
    5. Justin Schultz would make a great winger
    6. Goalie Depth: The Oilers have 3 NHL backup goaltenders
    7. JFJ is not on the OIlers first line
    8. Top 4 defender Cam Baker is far far away from this team

I just want to watch a game and not gouge my eyes out, I think that’s a reasonable expectation. It’s November and the team is out of it, ugh.

110. stevezie says:

OilFire,

I don’t think this is true, but if so it would be amazing. I’ve seen all three (DCB/DSF are openly the same person) of those guys argue with each other, and all three have an internally consistent personality and logic.

It would be really impressive if it weren’t so completely pointless. Or does that make it beautiful, like climbing Everest just “because it’s there”?

No, of course not. It would be more like climbing Connor’s Hill in a bear-walk while mooning everyone.

For the record I enjoy DSF. His insistence on taking the exact opposite position as whatever is popular removes all credibility, but it also combats group-think as his (insincere) opinions are extremely well (selectively) researched. Sometimes gives genuine cause for pause when we get too far up our own asses.

I always just saw Godot as a guy I disagreed with most of the time. Could never be sure it wasn’t me. Until recently.

QSB is an idiot.

111. Ribs says:

The latest Fussy offerings…

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 1h
    MacT has been working phones for weeks trying to make a trade it’s not easy when your players have low value because of their play

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 1h
    Oilers offered Yakapov and Smid plus pick to #SENATORS for Cownen Lazar Methot and Lehner as per Garfield

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 59m
    Oilers offered Yakapov Smid and N Schultz to #FLYERS for Coburn BSchenn and Simmonds

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 58m
    MacT now talking to #leafs dangling Gagner interested in Gardiner as per Garfield

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 52m
    MacT talking about adding another coach a former head coach to the staff as an asst. expecting one of

Tracy Lane ‏@TreenasOil Protected account 51m
    Bucky or Smith to be reassigned as or Garfield

112. Bank Shot says:

Trades can be good. I’m pretty sure the Sharks were flagging badly in the standings before they traded for Joe Thornton in 05/06.

Granted I don’t trust the clown show management in Edmonton to ever pull off a big trade win. They are lucky not to get embarrassed,

113. Pablo Aimar says:

Hopefully Garfield is full of shit.

114. Nuckout says:

Any gm worth their salt would be flooding the oil batphones in hopes of a MacT fire sale.

I like the Philly rumour. Holmgren is just the proper amount of batshit insane to do that. Oilers win that hands down. Unless of course, Yak turns into Bure 2.0.

However, Lundquist would solve, well, you know. Dubnyk, Yak + Smid for Lundy, Del Zotto, McDonough.

That’s if Sather wants Yak THAT bad.

115. Nuckout says:

Also. This.

Eakins, please. Listen carefully to AV.

“We need more from our back end,” he said.
    “These guys need to be able to jump up into the
    play and get some of their shots through.
    “We had two defensemen [Marc Staal and Dan
    Girardi] that didn’t have anything towards the net.
    The back end is so important to help generate
    offense and we need to get some from them.”

Ahem.

Bruce McCurdy: Sounds like Ryan Jones to me.

(ducking / running)

I’ve always said its his most redeeming quality.

Its the rest of his game that leaves me wanting more.

117. bassguy says:

Hi LT, if you have never heard this song?…you must…take the time to let it get you?..my wife is a huge lucinda fan and I never got that till i heard this..Rarity

OilFire: Sorry to spoil your post Bookie, but Godot is DSF/DCB/QuickSilverBallet(on ON). I’ve noticed all four user accounts use the unusual phrase “all hat, no cattle.”That plus the tone and style are clear matches.

To this four-headed monster:you’ve got some good things about you, but perhaps it’s time to look at why you’re so negative?Maybe some time away from these boards is in order?

I’m the guy who said Gillis rode on all the good work Nonis did, and that Vigneault’s coaching strategies are only good for making a team competitive but are lousy strategies for a contender. I detest the Canucks.

I’m a contrarian. If you guys were all negative, I would look for silver linings. You guys are all hopeful and positive, so my contrarian nature demands that I be Debbie Downer.

And I also believe imagining the worst case scenario. The thing about Lowe-MacT-Eakins-Ference is that they keep on “exceeding my expectations” about how bad things can really get, so the worst case scenario that I can imagine keeps on getting worse. It is like a win-win proposition (or lose-lose, depending on your point-of-view…I’ve been an OIler fan since the WHA days, since the beginning). I

Trying to be contrarian and optimistic with Tambellini was painful. I’d look for silver linings and mustard seeds of hopefulness and always be wrong.

Eakins and the gang are like a sure thing. I can keep calling snake eyes, and they keep rolling them.

119. Henry says:

Nuckout:

That’s if Sather wants Yak THAT bad.

Nuckout,

I don’t understand how the Philly rumour works if Simmonds and Coburn have NTCs. Are they modified NTCs such that they can go to Edmonton?

120. russ99 says:

I don’t buy the Philly rumor, which has the side-effect of making the rest of fussy’s posts look suspect.

That’s been a fan-created trade over on that “other” Board for months, and frequently shot down by Flyers fans.

Do you really see MacT picking up something from HF and running with it? I sure hope he’s smarter than that…

121. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: I’ve always said its his most redeeming quality.

Its the rest of his game that leaves me wanting more.

Haha, yeah I know. Just yanking your chain. :) He does stand out on this team for his willingness to go to those places & his shooting percentage is quite a bit higher than it should be based on talent. But ideally we would be seeing more of it from other players, for sure.

122. FastOil says:

Here’s good news!

As another tool teams should judge talent considering if Sather wants the player or not. Yakupov is very good folks, a keeper if this is the case. Unfortunately it has to be Hemsky.

Trading Yak has to be for a very significant player or don’t do it.