OILERS SIGN BRYZGALOV

The Edmonton Oilers have signed free agent G Ilya Bryzgalov (as per Aaron Ward, tsn). More to come.

212 Responses to "OILERS SIGN BRYZGALOV"

Newer Comments »
  1. Lucinius says:

This team does it best to make its fans hate them.

2. Ben says:

If they get him at under 2M for 2-3 years, worse comes to worst he backs up Hiller or whomever after this year.

3. TheBusDriver86 says:

Bold…

4. gr8one says:

I like it.* I wish they would have done this weeks ago.

*Assuming it’s not long in term and less than 2m per…1-1.5per would be ideal.

5. Young Oil says:

Hopefully it’s for cheap! I am fine with this signing, and there’s probably another move coming to get a D back to fill the hole left by Smid. I’m going to wait until all the moves are done to judge success or failure. Bryz didn’t cost us anything, that’s a huge plus.

6. OilClog says:

Maybe it’s so cold he stops pucks to stay warm!!!! It’s brilliant MacT!

7. David says:

Haha. Let the circus begin. Bryzgalov has had stretches of playing really good. Of course he’s also been so bad he’s made Dubnyks performance this season look vezna quality. However he plays we can now enjoy his interviews for the rest of the season.

8. bookje says:

No problem with this, something had to be done. Some risk, but Bryzgalov has a decade of being a steady goalie. Steady over the season I mean. Last year was his worst year. If he’s cheap, I have no problem with this.

9. russ99 says:

Bryz is better that what we currently have, I just hope MacT didn’t cave on term/price like the last few bigger FAs.

10. OilClog says:

Bryz “they promised me a thick parka and vodka, I said ok”

11. striatic says:

Is the thought process here “If you’re going to suck, might as well be entertaining about it”?

12. Clarence Oveur says:

Somebody save this organization.

Anybody….please

13. russ99 says:

Also, what happens to Dubnyk? AHL?

14. Young Oil says:

I would guess that it’s in the ballpark of the Thomas deal, ~$2.5M.

15. Thiru says:

Sheesh, Dubnyk got Smid traded.

That sucks.

Strange that Schultz the senior is still around.

16. OilClog says:

I have to think Dubnyk is on the move, Smid was his favourite defender. He’s as good as gone

17. Logan91 says:

Only a one year deal, not bad

18. bookje says:

Look, the team was probably ready to start demanding trades. As long as the term is short, it’s good.

19. Ribs says:

If nothing else he’s good for a laugh. *shrug*

20. striatic says:

One year’s worth of Bryz jokes in an already squandered season.

This is something between a hail mary and a practical joke.

21. bookje says:

#Oilers have reached a verbal agreement on a one-year contract with G Ilya Bryzgalov, pending completion of today’s EDM-CGY trade.
    5:30 PM – 8 Nov 2013

Why is A required for B?

22. Melman says:

Thiru,

Very true! If DD doesn’t play like crap there’s a good chance Smid still an Oiler. Could be a little awkward around the room (as if it wasn’t already)

23. Boreal says:

Hemsky is next. Watch.

24. russ99 says:

How long before the third shoe drops?

That whole Eberle for Simmonds and a D rumor is picking up massive steam.

One year deal on Bryz, good deal. Even if we overpay it doesn’t affect the cap next year.

25. Captain Smarmy says:

Lmao

26. bendelson says:

Boreal,

yes he is.

27. Melman says:

Too bad Broissoit wasn’t a centre – he has the size we need in our Fs!

28. Melman says:

bendelson,

Girardi or Stall coming at you

29. striatic says:

bookje: Why is A required for B?

cap space.

30. Rondo says:

russ99,

Simmonds is i overrated , possibly traded 2 times. Sean Couturier will end up a better player.

31. stevezie says:

Well colour me wrong. I really thought Arco would be the one to get moved- I thought Philly would be seduced by his caphit and youth.

It looks like it’s Hemsky.

I love you Ales. I will be sad. If the return is right, however… we can spare Ales.

Hell, I don’t like the Smid return at all, but look at the backlog of D! Smid is the best of them, but we need goaltending more than we need the difference between Smid and his replacement, don’t we? I’m not exactly endorsing it, I’m just not as mad as some of you.

32. bookje says:

There has to be on overpay contract coming our way next or else the need to move Smid doesn’t make sense.

33. Boreal says:

Philly or Rangers.

34. russ99 says:

What if we play Horak at the wing? Would we have our shutdown line with Gordon and Joensuu?

35. Southern Oil says:

Well, we can talk about the players coming in and leaving for the next few weeks. A lot more people on here that are smarter than me, will have much more insight, especially re: the prospects. But one thing I am f’in thrilled about – MacT was not ready to watch the next 60+ games seeing the same shit. At least he did something about it. We can now talk about the results. ST “Dithers” can kiss my butt.

36. striatic says:

bookje:

Expect the Unexpected : [

37. striatic says:

stevezie: It looks like it’s Hemsky.

According to who?

38. bookje says:

If it’s cap space than MacT needs to eat some crow on Grebeshov (signing a marginal KHLer was dumb)

39. Young Oil says:

striatic: cap space.

40. RexLibris says:

Ugh.

I’m just going to think happy thoughts about Brossoit and stop harping on my Kellen Jones trade decision that cost the Oilers the chance to pick him.

Looks like MacTavish decided that rather than wait for next summer to make some more moves he’ll just get it going right now.

Dust never settles on that man, does it?

If they do an Eberle for Simmonds trade I’m going to weep. Seriously curl up in a ball and shake like a leaf.

41. OilClog says:

If we play Horak at C on the 4th either Acton or Gazdic isn’t playing. That’s a win, not for the price of Smid but it’s a win.

42. fifthcartel says:

This is some exciting times, haha. I like this.

43. stevezie says:

Rondo,

Well obviously, but Philly knows that too.

44. striatic says:

Young Oil: But we already had ample cap room to sign Bryzgalov, did we not? There must be another deal coming still…

Just wait for the Bryzgalov “6 Million Dollar Man” headline.

45. Truth says:

Sorry about that Mr. Tambellini. I once called you completely incompetent compared to MacT, I was wrong, you are both incompetent.

46. Zelepukin says:

russ99:

That whole Eberle for Simmonds and a D rumor is picking up massive steam.

Where?

47. DBO says:

So, our best defensive dman is moved because our Defensive zone coverage sucks? Bette rbe more D coming back

Bryz is a 1 year deal. So nothing long term So bye bye labarbara I guess.
    Larsen up for good now.

Ference-Petry
    Belov-Larsen
    Schultz-Schultz
    Fedun

48. stevezie says:

striatic,

Twitter rumours, from both insiders and idiots who know a guy. JSBM revolution is a good source of the latter. Nothing solid at all, but for some reason I believe it.

That doesn’t make it true. Maybe I’m just in a state of shock.

49. bookje says:

They could have signed Him without moving Smid, something else is up and LaBarbara or Dubnyk and one of the Calgary assets are heading out of town maybe?

50. OilClog says:

Hemsky, Dubnyk, Nultz

Simmons, Coburn, Emery.

For hilarious purposes I want Bryz and Emery together in Philly North. Then I want to see the hockey Gords let them have some success, driving Philly finally over the edge.

1-year dea for Bryz, hearing Hemsky to PHI or NYR but could be nothing.

52. Zelepukin says:

Dreger tweeted yesterday:

In the eyes of Oilers managment, Eberle will be an Oiler forever. Forever is a long time, but, he’s not a trade target.

53. fifthcartel says:

I hope this happens!

54. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

If bryz is signed at a reasonable rate then it’s not the reason for Smid. Hopefully it means Hemsky is staying and it’s more of an Arco for either Coburn or Girardi.

55. stevezie says:

Are Horak and Brissoit worth trading N.Schutlz instead of Smid? I’m not sure about that detail.

56. DBO says:

So what is the chance that the other deal is already done pending trade call or the agreement (again) of a no trade guy (like Simmonds). Twitter speculating:

Simmonds and Meszaros for Hemsky and a pick

57. stevezie says:

till_horcoff_is_coach,

Dare to dream.

58. Cobbler says:

Hate to see Smid go, but feel the team just got better at C and G something a lot of people have been looking for.

Another Shoe to drop for sure. Too many G now, unless they carry 3.

Brossoit>Roy; Smid>horak, add Bryz. Not a bad day for the Oil but something alse needs to happen for this to make sense.

59. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Considerate of the Oilers to announce this late Friday afternoon. Bryz? I’m going all sauce donkey tonight. Feels a little Khabibulin doesn’t it?

60. bookje says:

Maybe Smid was a darksider – LT had him pegged long ago.

61. DBO says:

Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe 2m
    Edm has verbal agreement with Bryz. However they don’t have cap space to sign him til Smid passes physical with Cgy to complete that trade.

Unless he is signed for like $5 mill, no way we need the cap space

62. bookje says:

DBO:
    Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe 2m

Unless he is signed for like $5 mill, no way we need the cap space

Unless…

63. Derek says:

With the Smid move I sure hope they have some sort of indication that Belov plans to re-sign with Edmonton.

64. russ99 says:

I hate to go all conspiracy theory on you guys, but what if Hall’s goalie comments last night was the last straw?

65. magisterrex says:

BOOM! Humungous bold!

66. Caramel Obvious says:

Well you can’t say this isn’t interesting.

The good news about the Smid trade is it means they like what they see in Larsen and Fedun. And since I like what I see there too, it’s ok.

The bad news is that Brossoit isn’t really anything and if the best you can say about Horak is that he is better than Acton than he isn’t much either.

So the team isn’t really better in either the short run or the long run and isn’t that what matters?

Unless they use the cap space for something nice and shiny ….

67. Bar_Qu says:

Of the guys I didn’t want touched, Smid and Hemsky were lowest on the list (mainly because they were about to be traded every spring). The trade isn’t great, but something had to be done and the team wasn’t about to play well enough to allow the GM to put it off. Certainly not this GM anyways.

68. striatic says:

DBO: Unless he is signed for like $5 mill, no way we need the cap space

Unless some serious salary is coming back in trade.

Although, maybe Katz has decided that he doesn’t want to burn money this year, what with the season being done. Bryzgalov to keep people entertained and in the building. Go back to an internal cap in order to make more money this year.

69. B S says:

The MSM is bad enough, but Oilers must have the only management group that actively trolls their own fans. All that’s left is to trade Eberle and I’m gone. Lord I’m even considering buying a Smid Flames jersey. I might have to piss on it because it’s Calgary, but I’d still wear it because Smid is beautiful.

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jesus fucking christ.

You go to spend a day with a friend’s baby and the Oilers trade your favorite player and sign a crazy Russian….

what the hell… is this good?

is this the end of rico?

71. Caramel Obvious says:

So Hemksy is going to Philadelphia and Meszaros is coming back. What else do we get to make this worthwhile?

72. bookje says:

So, if we are waiting on Smid physical, then nothing more tonight.

73. LostBoy says:

You know, I’m actually fine with this.

It amounts to sacrificing Ladi in order to roll the dice on a longshot to turn around a lost season.

It probably won’t work, but it’s better than just doing nothing.

If you look at the range of what might have been possible to introduce a shock and just maybe knock things back on track, this isn’t giving up that much. Nothing crazy anyway.

Which isn’t to downplay Smid’s departure. Liked him a lot, going to be hard to watch him as a Flame.

74. unca miltie says:

Calgary Sun Sports ‏@SUNSports 4m
    Got it on good authority. #Hemsky’s locker being cleared out in Philly. Looks like he’s been traded. #Oilers

75. Numenius says:

Hate to see Smid go, and the return doesn’t seem enough.

There’d better be more to it than we’ve seen so far. There’s gotta be.

76. russ99 says:

Rumblings that a Hemmer deal is imminent.

Sigh. Sail on, Pardubice Prince.

77. Profit says:

Simmonds has a modified NTC? Does anyone know the details?

78. theres oil in virginia says:

I like Bryzgalov’s personality, and I think the “anti-Edmonton” stuff was bent out of proportion. I’m not sure he’s a very good goalie anymore (or ever was), though.

Here’s hoping (for the best…like always).

79. DBO says:

I could seee the rumoured Simmonds and Meszaros for Hemsky and a pick/prospect/Potter, etc.

80. theres oil in virginia says:

I’m guessing if Philly is the trade partner, it won’t happen ’til tomorrow and none of the players traded will play in the PHI-EDM game?

81. B S says:

stevezie:

It looks like it’s Hemsky.

Smid is the number two Dman on this team. He gets payed like a #4 and would make damned good #4 on a contender. For the last 3 years he has been the only Dman on this team who actively clears out the crease at the end of a play. He is exactly the “grit” and “compete” that has been missing from the rest of the roster for years. Who is a replacement for him? and can the Oilers get that person? Finally, is there any reason to believe that Bryzgalov is going to solve our goaltending woes, especially now that our #2 Dman is gone? Not saying Bryz couldn’t shut things down, but there is little apriori evidence to back it up.

82. DBO says:

There it is. RT @GMilIerTSN: BREAKING: EDM trade RW Ales Hemsky + 2014 2nd Rounder for PHI RW Wayne Simmonds

shit. willis now saying fake account

83. Captain Smarmy says:

DBO:

Wow. That’s bold

84. LostBoy says:

The Smid trade obviously can’t be judged straight-up.

It’s almost certainly going to boil down to when we see what all happens when the dust settles, he’s the $3.5m cap hit that could be moved and taken off the books.

Nick Schultz is the $3.5m cap hit anyone would have preferred to move.

But Smid was the one that could be moved without taking salary back.

85. RMGS says:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

86. GordM says:

TSN calls it…bye Hemsky…welcome Simmonds

87. VanOil says:

In Honor of Smid and possibly Hemsky I am starting my Friday night off with some Czech distilled Absinth. I can think of nothing more fitting, plus if I drink enough of it I might come to a cosmic understanding with the Oilers new goalie.

88. DBO says:

that Gord Miller account has 150 followers so fake for sure

89. B S says:

DBO,

So does Hemsky play tomorrow? And for that matter, Simmonds? Just skate to the other bench at the start of the game fella’s, trade jerseys too.

90. B S says:

DBO,

Oh well, would have made for an interesting pregame skate.

91. DBO says:

B S,

not real trade, although seem,s like it makes sense. But that’s a fake account fooled a bunch of Edmonton MSM folk

92. RMGS says:

It worked! Phew…

93. B S says:

RMGS:
    It worked! Phew…

Damnitall, where were you on the Smid trade?

94. GordM says:

Sorry…shaw the retweet from Tych and thought it was legit.

95. DBO says:

Sarah Baicker ‏@sbaickerCSN 1m
    I’m not saying anything until I have a legitimate source who says something is happening. Too much fake stuff out there.
    Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand
    Sarah Baicker ‏@sbaickerCSN 3m
    Really? Or …? RT @dshoalts: RT @GMilIerTSN: BREAKING: EDM trade RW Ales Hemsky + 2014 2nd Rounder for PHI RW Wayne Simmonds
    Reply Retweet Favorite More View conversation
    Sarah Baicker ‏@sbaickerCSN 8m
    I’m hearing rumors of the Edmonton trade too. UNCONFIRMED but I have two Flyer names who may be headed to the Oilers …

That’s the comcast sports reporter for Philly. Interesting stuff. Still think if we get Simmonds we’ll be taking a crap contract like Meszaros

96. Pablo Aimar says:

So they gave Smid away to CALGARY so they could sign Bryzgalov? Nobody would take Nick Schultz? What a joke.

97. Logan91 says:

Didn’t the Oilers trade their 2 round pick to get Perron??

98. Thinker says:

Bad trade. Why do the oilers always get shafted.
    I know im going to get a lot of hate for this, but brossoit is following a fairly similar career path to roy. Its hard to say we got the better goilie based on numbers. Roy and brossoit both had successful junior careers, being wjc calibre in their final year. Both have had success in the echl and limited success in the ahl. Very similar players, i would rather have brossoit than ray, but not so much so i destroy my nhl defence. Horak is essentially colin fraser.
    I do like the bryzgalov pickup though, he’s better than labarbera, and with the season gone probably good to take a flyer on him.
    If eberle is traded, i honestly will never watch an oilers game again.

99. VanOil says:

So Will Acton could buy Smid’s house or did we just replace him?

100. DBO says:

Another fake account>?

Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton9 3m
    The night is getting crazier by the minute…… Hemske on the move to philly for 2 players including a forward and a D? Names start with S

101. fifthcartel says:

Schenn and Simmonds?

102. DBO says:

Could the Oil pick up Luke Schenn, who is essentially Smid but younger? As well as Simmonds.

103. bookje says:

If it doesn’t have a blue check mark and has fewer than 1000s of followers – assume fake

104. Chris says:

Apparantly we missed the “Hockey Jesus” meme so much that MacT went out to get the Leafs version.

105. LostBoy says:

Clearly we are finally acquiring Mark Streit.

106. russ99 says:

Streit and Simmons? We’d have to add a lot more than Ales.

107. dangilitis says:

David,

Dubnyk has had one performance this season that would be considered better than Bryz’s bad games. All of his other performances have been awful to mediocre.

We lost a good guy in Smid. Smid’s skill and even his defensive game are replaceable, but his give a shit attitude was admirable.

Dubnyk should feel even shittier than he has been all seasoon, he is the reason we lost Smid, and the reason we are about to waive his buddy Labarbera.

Laurent had a hell of a WHL career. Also on a top 2 WHL team for the past 2 years, but he no doubt made some great saves and played exremely well. I would have hoped if the Oilers traded an NHL player they would get back a goalie closer to NHL ready than that, and a bit more experience in the AHL. Because here’s the problem – Bryz and Dubie (vs BTO) are likely going to finish this dreadful season. One of them might take the reins, I doubt it. But Brossoit won’t be ready next year, which leaves us again the issue of finding a capable NHL starter and backup. Losing Smid created a new hole, and didn’t solve the goalie issue, both now and next year (or longer, or never…)

108. LostBoy says:

russ99:
    Streit and Simmons? We’d have to add a lot more than Ales.

ees joke. Or, at least, please let it be a joke.

(though surely a modestly overpaid question-mark Luke Schenn has more trade value than an ancient, fading, totally overpaid Mark Streit??)

109. Caramel Obvious says:

If it is Hemsky for Simmonds and Schenn, then there is a certain sort of sense to all of this.

Schenn is terrible. But if he weren’t terrible he could replace Smid.

Hemsky is awesome but he’s a UFA and Simmonds is good and signed at a reasonable rate for a while. I’d much rather have Simmonds than nothing at the end of the season or a second round pick at the deadline.

Strangely enough as mediocre as this all is it might actually be the best case scenario of these particular parts.

110. bookje says:

111. DBO says:

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer 1m
    Smid says he was “shocked”. Expected trades but surprised he was a part of it. Was going for dinner with Hemsky and Voracek when MacT called

ouch. Sorry to see a guy go who wanted to stay. But he was a Tambo signing.

112. VanOil says:

I just watched a kid in the Q, Andrews with the Moosehead, go between the legs Hertl style shorthanded and score. Jr hockey rocks.

113. Crooked says:

Apparently Hemsky has been traded to Philadelphia, Phoenix & NY Rangers, all at the same time. Word is he’s being cut into pieces like a birthday cake and handed out amongst the teams to share.

114. G Money says:

FFS.

10 bad games by Dubie (no more unusual than Khabi’s 10 game hot start a few seasons ago), and we sign a shitty fragile goalie who wasn’t even signed by an ECHL team that he tried out for. Guaranteed to lose us another 50 games.

I have officially flipped the bozo bit on MacT.

Idiot.

115. hoser313 says:

Well, a number of you did predict Smid would be traded. Kudos on that, I guess.

Salary dump of the team’s best shutdown D. For my money, the only member of last year’s D corps who wasn’t part of the “gentlemen’s snooker club” back on the point.

I understand the need for puck-moving D, but now who plays against the other team’s toughs?

116. RexLibris says:

I’m not saying it has happened, but if Simmonds does become an Oiler…Grier 2.0? Big, banging forward with hands.

117. nelson88 says:

With all the talk about the Oilers being easy to play against, no heart, bad culture etc. and MacT goes and trades one of the few guys who actually brings it every night and is clearly “good in the room”. I don’t give a shit how bad his offensive instincts were. He better have something good up his sleeve.

Know doubt he is a smart man but I am beginning to think MacT as GM is going to have the same achilles heel as MacT the coach in his last couple of years. Not as smart as his arrogance leads himself to believe.

118. Numenius says:

119. VanOil says:

We now have one defenseman signed for next year. He is old as dirt, under sized and has distinctly average skill but he has a magic ring that make it all better.

120. magisterrex says:

Another good signing. Can’t be worse than what we’ve got, and if he recaptures some of that lost mojo he had in Phoenix, all the better.

Low risk signing, with high potential reward.

Moneyball.

121. stephen sheps says:

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 3m
    For those expecting another Oiler move any second, don’t hold your breath. Sensing they are done for the time being. Nothing imminent.

122. Wolfpack says:

nelson88:

Agree with this. I hope there is a plan for replacing Smid’s toughness on the back end in terms of shot blocking and clearing the front of the net. But hey, LT had to run Smid out of town eventually.

I can’t imagine any scenario where the Bryzgalov signing ends up as a positive. Maybe if it somehow gets Dubnyk playing better?

123. bookje says:

G Money:
    FFS.

10 bad games by Dubie (no more unusual than Khabi’s 10 game hot start a few seasons ago), and we sign a shitty fragile goalie who wasn’t even signed by an ECHL team that he tried out for.Guaranteed to lose us another 50 games.

I have officially flipped the bozo bit on MacT.

Idiot.

124. bendelson says:

I don’t believe this Hemsky for Simmonds stuff… It’s on the surface, it’s way to good.
    Maybe it involves other players (to balance the trade) but Simmonds for Hemsky? – that’s golden all day long! It must be completely false. i just don’t believe MacT fleeces PHI.

125. Minister D- says:

Stauffer’s tweet: “Some wild stuff out there…Eberle and Hemsky stuff. Total BS.”

Pretty strong indicator we’re done for the moment. Ah, Oilers: this universe might not be big enough for the two of us.

126. russ99 says:

Maybe they’re waiting on a Philly deal until after tomorrow’s game.

Healthy scratches could be really interesting.

127. B S says:

VanOil:

Hal Jordan?

128. bookje says:

stephen sheps:
    Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 3m

They had cap room – How much are they paying Brygalov?

129. Mr DeBakey says:

bookje: Can’t blame Dubnyk for Smid loss, he didn’t sign Grebeshov. If anything happened, MacT didn’t have room to address a problem area.

Jesus Bookie, will you give it a rest!
    Grebs in OKC costs the Oilers about 600k in Cap space.
    Not a problem
    Go on and on and on about Jones or Eager [or probably Labarbara] for a bit.
    ***

Plus, based on 37′s numbers, he shouldn’t be in OKC…
    But that’s another story.

130. stephen sheps says:

bookje,

I’m afraid to find out… The internets don’t seem to know, and neither does my one friend who works for some sort of MSM radio station in Edmonton

131. russ99 says:

Read up on Horak a little more, and I like what we got. No Ryane Clowe but a decent bottom six piece with some offensive skill and decent upside. Surely a better option than Acton, Eager or Jones.

132. Mr DeBakey says:

Numenius: According to Eklund (grain of salt), there is no trade in the works of Hemsky for Simmonds and Schenn. Not that particular trade at least.

The only time you can trust the hockeybuzzard is when he’s talking about the Flyers.
    He does have connections in Philadelphia.

133. striatic says:

The thing I don’t like about the Smid trade is that despite not being top pairing quality, he was typically getting played in the top pairing.

He simply does not have the offensive puck moving capability to be on a top pairing, where you need the option to pass or skate from either side of the ice. Makes everything easier if the other team’s top players can’t key in on one guy or one side of the ice. Good players are predatory like that.

What I don’t like about the trade is that Smid would be be a great option on the second pairing, and is already a good penalty killer or at least has been in years past.

So the trade leaves two holes on the left side that Andrew Ferrence and Nick Schultz don’t seem to be capable of filling. Neither is a top pairing guy and neither is a great penalty killer either. I’d love to be proven wrong by the analytics here, but I don’t think that will be the case.

134. G Money says:

bookje: I don’t think you understand what the ECHL tryout was. You probably should be cautious with the term idiot – glass houses and all of that.

If there is an interesting and relevant backstory on his time with the ECHL team, one that suggests that this signing was an intelligent one after all, please do enlighten me.

In the meantime, the only way my contention that this is an utterly titantically fucking stupid kneejerk move, an order of magnitude worse than the SMac signing, is wrong, is if Bryzgalov miraculously comes to the pressure cooker of Edmonton and turns around his last two seasons.

You know, the ones where he posted .909 regular season, then .887 in the playoffs, then .900 last year.

All this to replace a goalie who went .914 and .920 those same two seasons.

This signing is going to make the last Oiler signing of an aging Russian goalie look like genius by comparison.

135. Pablo Aimar says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers now
    “(The trade) was an opportunity to give us some cap (room) to do a few other things and add goaltending depth.” – GM MacTavish

LOLOLOLOLOL

136. DBO says:

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer 3m
    MacTavish on @630CHED re: the churning rumour mill: “Certainly no moves imminent and hopefully none for quite some time.”

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer 4m
    MacTavish says he still believes his team is progressing. Called them “exceptional” last night. Says he sees “plenty of progress”.

Chris Wescott ‏@TheChrisWescott 5m
    In talking with #Oilers GM Craig MacTavish, the team has been working on these moves for a while but things just came together tonight.

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer 5m
    MacTavish on Bryzgalov: “I think everybody will be pretty pleasantly surprised with the quality of person that we’re getting.”

So MAcT saying nothing imminent for some time. So we got worse today. awesome.

137. bookje says:

G Money,

He didn’t fail to make the ECHL team as you suggested, it was never a possibility. He was just working out with them.

138. G Money says:

magisterrex:

Low risk signing, with high potential reward.

Moneyball.

139. Crooked says:

140. G Money says:

bookje: FFS.
    I have officially flipped the bozo bit on MacT.
    Idiot.

Ah. Well. Then for full compliance with reality, you can consider my original posting to be redacted as follows:

“FFS.

10 bad games by Dubie (no more unusual than Khabi’s 10 game hot start a few seasons ago), and we sign a shitty fragile goalie guaranteed to lose us another 50 games.

I have officially flipped the bozo bit on MacT.

Idiot.”

141. sofapimp says:

belov > smid?

142. G Money says:

Crooked: The Oilers have a team 3.82GAA & .874SV%. How dare they sign a goalie who can actually stop the occasional puck?

.874% is Dubie’s floor.

.874% will be Bryzgalov’s ceiling.

In other words, if you think what we’ve seen so far is bad and can’t get any worse: just wait. It can get worse. Much much worse.

143. wheatnoil says:

sofapimp:
    belov > smid?

Belov + Smid > Belov alone

144. Nuckout says:

I love it. Love it love it love it. I knew this was going to happen eventually.

This will be the Bryz reclaimation project. I do think he’s going to do some good. I mean, how much worse can it get?……

Who cares if the guy is batshit insane, as long as he’s stopping pucks. Yak and Bryz together will be pure hockey comedy.

Yak: “Bryz, is cold in russia, is cold in edmonton. why you come to this place?”
    Bryz: “Universe..and stars.. they send me here. To stop puck, and play hockey. Also, Kevin Lowe give me bottle vodka and selection of touque and hand warmer. And wool sock. In mother russia, sock wear you.”

145. Hockeyman 99 says:

smid didn’t have a wide enough range of skills and was a boat anchor for petry.
    Cap space and Brossoit is the most important part of the return. Smid was going to be passed by any upgrade brought in and was paid to much to be a third pairing guy.
    Briz is one year hopefully under 1 mill and if it works could save the season. If not MacT tried something that didn’t gut the future and has no long term implications.

146. bendelson says:

So…. the Smid trade was something they been working on for some time? Interesting.

They must be crazy high on Brossoit… perhaps batshit crazy.

147. magisterrex says:

G Money: Moneyball is about using numbers to look deeper than the short term and the obvious and the emotional, and make sound(er) decisions.Moneyball suggests that Dubie’s struggles are a normal occurrence. (A .915 career goalie will have stretches of 10 or more games with a sv% in the .800s – just as he will also have stretches of 10 or more games at .950+).Moneyball indicates that Bryzgalov – *unlike* Dubnyk who is an average to slightly above average goalie still entering his prime – is an average to bad goalie and he is at an age where the downward spiral has already started i.e. his time is done.Moneyball clearly indicates that this is a gigantically off the charts idiotic move.

LOL. A guy having a meltdown on a blog talks about how we should “look depper than the short term and the obvious and the emotional..”

Comedy gold.

148. bookje says:

Mr DeBakey: Jesus Bookie, will you give it a rest!
    Grebs in OKC costs the Oilers about 600k in Cap space.
    Not a problem
    Go on and on and on about Jones or Eager [or probably Labarbara] for a bit.
    ***

Plus, based on 37′s numbers, he shouldn’t be in OKC…
    But that’s another story.

Yeah, but did you hear about Grebs?

149. Hockeyman 99 says:

wheatnoil,

Any one Smid played with was at a disadvantage once they got the puck because Smid is allergic to it. We need D who can do more than push after the whistle block shots and break a cycle. All good qualities but @ 3.5 mil not enough. Tambellini signed Smids ticket out of town. Even Petry isn’t a real 1-2 on a good team. If he gets paid like it he will be traded too once Nurse or someone surplants him.

150. Lynas1 says:

I’d love to get McDonagh coming back. Pie in the sky but I can dream.

151. denny33 says:

Lucinius,

The signing of Bryz fits for this organization….one of the most respected in the league.

The monkey’s are throwing what?

152. Caramel Obvious says:

G Money,

I can’t say I love any of this either. On the other hand, I can’t say I hate it. In order to hate it you have to think that Smid is good but I’m not sure why we would think that. His bread and butter is being goo defensively but 1) it’s not like he’s exceptional at that (see the second goal last night) and 2) that mode of evaluation is based upon a false dichotomy between offense and defense.

So instead of taking about him as a defensive defenseman we should be talking about the only thing that really matters, Smid as a possession player (goes and looks up numbers).

Ok, so maybe this is a bad trade. Smid is right in the same range as Ference and N Schultz but with pretty extreme defensive zone starts. Yeah, so I don’t really like the move. However, if Horak can displace Acton and be a reasonable hockey player then it’s maybe ok.

In any case this isn’t a killing trade and I like it a lot more than the Gilbert deal, for instance.

153. Mr DeBakey says:

bookje: Yeah, but did you hear about Grebs?

Y’know
    I haven’t double-checked the timing
    But I think they signed Grebs after they found out about Potter’s wonky back.

154. FastOil says:

If the puck and being associated with it is a part of your shortcomings as a player in the best hockey league in the big wide world, how good can you be? Really.

155. Gerta Rauss says:

Sail on Ladi, we’re going to miss you.

I’m not sure how this makes us a better team-we have 3 goalies on the roster and 1 less NHL defenseman-there has to be something else in the works.

There damn well better be.

156. SK Oiler Fan says:

At 1 year and a reported 2M this is a gamble worth taking IMO. Gives MacT a better chance to evaluate this team with at least average goaltending behind it. DD and Bryz are a better bet than DD and Hanna.
    And please resist the urge to judge Bryz on his first game back. It’s likely not going to be impressive after not playing for 8 months.
    I expect at a minimum this makes the occasional passengers take notice and up their game. Been too much complacency for too long.

157. fuzzy muppet says:

SO we moved one of our only decent PKer’s from our terrible PK and the only guy that had a little snarl for essentially nothing that helps for years(if ever) and use the money saved to sign a goalie nobody wants. THere better be another move coming or MacT is a bigger bozo than KLowe

Wake me when this train wreck is over

158. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Why did the Flames make this move?

159. justDOit says:

Tough to see Smid in Calgary. If this was the best package they could find for him (obv…), and that was still only prospects in return, it’s difficult to imagine exactly how poor any other offers were. But maybe I just don’t know enough about the return.

SoS! Sail on Smid!

As for Bryzzie, I wonder if he’ll listen to The Bear during his stay in Edmonton?

And aw geez, the Devil’s just tied it up.

Edit: Just caught up entirely with the headlines – move Smid to make cap room for Bryz. Ouch. I hope I’m wrong about this feeling in the pit of my stomach.

160. SK Oiler Fan says:

Finally the Leafs horseshoe falls out of their goalies ass.

161. Nuckout says:

There probably are more moves coming, but given the track record, chances are, something will fall through.

If you believe the internerd, the Flyers are trading us Schenn, Giroux, Simmonds, a pallet of pylons, 7 hot dogs, a couple drunk party clowns, and Holmgren’s used toothbrush for Hemsky and a pick.

We’ll probably end up with the drunk party clowns.

162. justDOit says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic:
    Why did the Flames make this move?

Giordano is going to miss some substantial time from that injury. That’s all I got.

163. nycoil says:

Is it okay to bring out the paper bags now? Are we not all tired of being the laughingstock of the league? That used to be reserved for teams like the Islanders and Panthers, and well, not Edmonton. Edmonton is a hockey town. This is so painful for the fans.

Reading MacT’s comments from Tencer’s tweets, I am baffled. Just clearing cap room and adding goaltending depth, but no other moves? In doing so you trade one of the best shot-blockers in the league, a guy you could play on the bottom pairing if you saw fit, and would be a warrior on the PK and in the d-zone in limited minutes if need be, and a good guy in the locker room who signed to stay for slightly less than fair market value cause he wanted to be there, for futures.

Was Smid not as good as last few years? Probably not. Is $3.5M a bit much for a #5 D? Probably. But until you have a guy actually better than him, why do you ship him out for futures? We had enough cap room to sign Bryzgalov. This reeks of the Cogliano trade, the Brodziak trade, etc. I get that you want to replace him with better, but until you have better you best hang on to him. Gutting depth is not what this team needs. I get that MacT wasn’t the biggest fan of the guy; he did try to convert him to a forward at one point, after all. But come on, this was the best return out there? With a division rival no less? I hate this coveting of Oil Kings as well. Watch us go trade Hemsky for Lazar now…

Burke traded us Smid in the Pronger deal and now he is getting him back for a few nickels and dimes. I hate this deal so much for what this team needs right now. It sends the WRONG message to the guys in that room right now. The wrong message. The worst message possible: we’re playing for futures…I’m so mad right now. All that needs to happen now is Bryz starts tomorrow in Philly and gets ragged on by Flyers’ fans while giving up 6 goals behind our porous defense.

164. FastOil says:

nycoil,

You know shot blocking means can’t get the puck, right?

165. Gerta Rauss says:

Nuckout,

Those better be all beef hot dogs.

166. Nuckout says:

nycoil:

Was Smid not as good as last few years? Probably not. Is $3.5M a bit much for a #5 D? Probably. But until you have a guy actually better than him, why do you ship him out for futures? We had enough cap room to sign Bryzgalov.This reeks of the Cogliano trade, the Brodziak trade, etc. I get that you want to replace him with better, but until you have better you best hang on to him. Gutting depth is not what this team needs. I get that MacT wasn’t the biggest fan of the guy; he did try to convert him to a forward at one point, after all. But come on, this was the best return out there? With a division rival no less? I hate this coveting of Oil Kings as well. Watch us go trade Hemsky for Lazar now…

Well…that’s one way to look at things.

I have a suspicion that Smid was disgruntled, wanted out, and maybe MacT and co. didn’t want a cancer of sorts spreading through the dressing room. That’s the only logical explaination that I have for this.

Also, they won’t start Bryz in Philly. No bloody way would they do that. What a welcome that would be to a new team, to start against the team that ran you out of town. That’s just straight up evil to do to someone, especially after he hasn’t played an NHL game for how long? A whole bag full of no.

If NOTHING else happens out of this, then let the lynching begin.

167. Nuckout says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Nuckout,

Those better be all beef hot dogs.

Nope. Snouts and entrails.

168. SK Oiler Fan says:

FastOil,

Agreed. Musil will be the same dam thing IMO. You might as well take their stick away. Jason Smith’s last days as an Oiler were the same.
    If you’re constantly blocking shots you’re always in desperation mode and have a hard time recovering. Leading the blocked shots parade shows you have courage, but it also says you spend a lot of time in your own end. PK blocks obviously have value.

169. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

nycoil,

I’m not sure the press for public consumption by MacT today is necessarily factual. I think he’s learned about tipping his hand.

170. theres oil in virginia says:

Nuckout:
    Also, this.

I would not be at all surprised if Ebs goes to Philly. It’s going to take a hell of a lot more than Simmonds and Schenn though to get that deal done.

171. nycoil says:

FastOil,

I didn’t say he wasn’t flawed. But it doesn’t make sense to ship decent players out for pennies on the dollar. My issue is with the message sent to the team of trading for futures now, unless there is really another shoe to drop and MacT is lying to Tencer, as well as the Oiler’s propensity the last few years to ship out actual NHL players (™), for magic beans and futures.. Smid would have been fine on the bottom pairing playing 15-16mins a game. This is new life for Nick Schultz.

172. fifthcartel says:

Anyone speculating how the goaltender depth shakes out with Brossoit and Pickard being added?

Obviously
    Dubnyk/Bryzgalov

- – - – -
    LaBarbera?
    Bachman
    Bunz/Brossoit?

- – - – -
    Brossoit/Bunz
    Pickard?

then Rimmer in the CHL with the Mallards.

173. nycoil says:

Nuckout,

Where did you hear that? Any source?

174. RexLibris says:

So the Smid move is likely one that addressed a few problems. It shakes up the dressing room by moving a veteran and someone who was well-liked. It clears cap space. It moves out a defender to make room for one of either Fedun or Larsen, someone who plays with that whole puck-possession, heads up, skating blueliner that MacTavish outlined way back when. It shores up goaltending depth in the organization. It adds an upgrade at 4C/4RW in Horak to Acton/Gazdic.

The Bryzgalov thing I’m not sold on, but if it was a choice between the status quo, Rick DiPietro, Bryzgalov, or trading for Ryan Miller I know which one I’m going to take. Just please let it be a short contract for minimal money – 1 year @ <$2 million.

175. nycoil says:

Well Oiled and Enthusiastic,

True, he did say he was done making moves in the summer, then signed Grebeshkov, did he not?

176. Alsker says:

The only part of the Smid move I dislike is our trading partner, if it truly was required to free up capspace for Bryz then so be it. MacT had to do something, anything!! Didnt we all demand it. Bold, not sure, bizarre definitely.

177. Nuckout says:

nycoil:
    Nuckout,

Where did you hear that? Any source?

Hear what? I posted the link.

178. nycoil says:

We will see. If just Simmonds, unless we’re not sending any salary their way at all, I don’t understand the cap-clearing with Smid. Hemsky makes $5m, and even if Eberle were involved he makes $6m. I think the return could have been better from a team other than the one down QE2.

Nuckout:
    Also, this.

179. nycoil says:

Nuckout,

Sorry, I was replying to your comment about Smid being potentially disgruntled and a locker room issue.

180. Nuckout says:

nycoil,

Yeah, like I said, I do wonder if MacT sensed the end of the line for Smid coming up in Edmonton. I don’t have any sources for that, but after Smid’s comments about “Guys are gonna start getting traded” after the DET game, I wouldn’t be surprised if he signed his own death warrant with that comment. Potentially toxic statement, if you ask me.

181. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So… any word on the $$$$?

Not sure why we needed to lose Smid to sign him… how much are fucking paying this guy anyway?

182. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m calling bullshit:

“Sources tell Sportsnet.ca that Flyers GM Paul Holmgren is listening to offers on any Philadelphia player not named Claude Giroux or Steve Mason.”

That’s who you are protecting?

Mason?

183. Alsker says:

Had a thought could Smids move open capspace and a starting position to entice Dillon Simpson?

184. Zelepukin says:

I would not be surprised if Spector was basing that entire article on the fake Gord Miller tweet.

185. Alsker says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

TSN says 3 million prorated(not confirmed)

186. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Money is probably at or south of $2 million. Just a guess.

As for the Mason/Giroux untouchable talk, well, this is Holmgren. To use a football analogy, while he hasn’t gotten to the Milbury yard line yet, he’s running downhill and getting some good blocks.

Smid has run himself into the glass for the last time as an Oiler.

Takes too long to make decisions, doesn’t make a good first pass.

Not “gritty jammy” enough like Orpik to get by on defence alone.

No great loss.

Surprised that the return was 2 non-NHLers though. Thought you could get more.

MacT did address 2 major organizational holes with young G and F though.

Love Brossoit and hated that Feaster got him.

I’m ok with this.

Think the return should have been a bit more though.

188. RexLibris says:

So, this Calgary thing really came out of nowhere, as did the St. Louis trade and the Brown trade. This got me thinking, we’re all hearing Hemsky to Philadelphia, but what about a team like Nashville?

189. VanOil says:

Maybe MacT is going to Ice multiple goalies and less skaters. By my count we currently have 4 on the NHL roster and 3 on the AHL roster (Chet whoeverthehell Pickard, Conklin and Brossoit). Does this count as depth?

190. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Alsker:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

TSN says 3 million prorated(not confirmed)

Well, that would explain the need for cap space… man, 3M for Grabo sure looks a hell of a lot fucking better than 3M for Bryz…. fackucksoekslgk!

191. Romulus Apotheosis says:

DBO:
    Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer 1m

ouch. Sorry to see a guy go who wanted to stay. But he was a Tambo signing.

Czechs night out!

sad dinner. Imagine if all three got traded somehow during the same dinner?

I hope they had some delicious meats.

192. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: Surprised that the return was 2 non-NHLers though. Thought you could get more.

Do these players count against the 50-man? If not, then I wonder if that’s part of it…he didn’t want shit NHL contracts back?

193. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

Flames fans are generally of the opinion they won the trade because they got the “best” (read only) player in the deal.

Simplistic way to do the math, but I think both teams won, sort of. Smid bolsters a blueline that featured Chris Butler and Kris Russell and has lost Giordano to extended injury time. The Oilers, as you say, pick up a real, live, breathing goaltending prospect. Horak is a decent replacement for Jones, Acton, or Gazdic.

I think Flames fans will be even more excited once Smid washes some of the perceived Oiler-ness off himself. We’ll see how long that lasts.

More and more I’m coming to think that the recent Broadway management excursion was to drum up interest from a number of sources. And see Rock of Ages live.

194. RexLibris says:

theres oil in virginia: Do these players count against the 50-man?If not, then I wonder if that’s part of it…he didn’t want shit NHL contracts back?

Yep, both are pro contracts.

195. lance says:

Smid traded? Does this mean MacT thinks LW is secure?

196. theres oil in virginia says:

RexLibris: Yep, both are pro contracts.

Thanks. So no change on that front – 2 out, 2 in.

They do count.

Thought they could get one non-shit player back for him.

I don’t think MacT is going to trade anything in the top 9 without there being a very large BANG! though.

New post it up