PANTHERS AT OILERS, G24, 13-14

When it comes to quality additions over the summer, the contest for Oiler winner comes down to David Perron versus Boyd Gordon. Perron’s offense and agitating have been terrific, but Boyd Gordon has been a perfect fit and more.

WHAT DID THE OILERS NEED HIM TO DO?

They needed Boyd Gordon to be the man in the middle. Penalty-kill, own zone starts, tough opposition, take care of Luca Brasi when needed; he’s done it all so far and then some. Gordon’s appeal is that he can plug into any line needed and deliver as required. He’s been a delight offensively as a for instance, while also delivering in areas like penalty-kill and faceoffs. Boyd Gordon, perfect fit.

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

forwards 13-14

Gordon has severe zone starts, is facing tough competition and has been a Godsend. Jordan Eberle is the only forward able to post a blue bubble and Ryan Smyth is having a nice season. A bit of a zone start push for Yakupov, no? Perron, Hemsky, Nuge, Hall, they’re all bunched together there in what seems to be a team with three two-way lines. As good as Gordon has been, he needs some help over there in the shutdown quadrant. I expect Smyth and Perron will mosey over as the season wears along.

FORWARDS EVEN STRENGTH TIME ON ICE

9. Ryan Smyth 11:44
  10. Boyd Gordon 11:22
  11. Ryan Jones 9:14
  12. Jesse Joensuu 8:14
  13. Will Acton 5:34
  14. Luke Gazdic 5:33

Coach Eakins is rolling those kids pretty strong and didn’t waste any time getting Gagner into the deep end either. Hemsky rounds out the top 6F TOI at even strength (this is nhl.com) and then Arco-Yakupov are the bridge players to the 3 and 4 lines. Smyth-Gordon are playing close to 4 minutes a night each on the special teams but they can play a little less at evens if the top 2lines are pushing. Jones/Joensuu are the utility forwards and Acton-Gazdic give the team a Toronto Maple Leafs ‘Mama, we’re all Crazee Now” feel.

CORSI ON (BTN)

corsi on forwardsEberle’s the only Johnny Cash so far this season, but bench press is second and all of Perron, Hemsky and Nugent-Hopkins are below -5. After that, we have Gagner, Smyth, Yakupov, Hall and Jones in the ‘they need to post blue bubbles’ pile and then after that you’re either Boyd Gordon or we’re not happy.

QUALITY OF COMPETITION (BTN)

quality of comp forwardsI don’t think there’s much surprising here, would have thought the Nuge and Gagner’s numbers would be switched but then again Gagner was playing with Hall much of the last 10 games. Perron and Hall are having nice seasons considering, Smyth too imo. This team would have done Yakupov a massive favor by giving him a veteran like Horcoff (and or Kulemin) in an effort to improve him quickly. I wonder how much Hall and Ebs were helped by Horcoff? Some of that contract money might be well spent by spoiling old #10 next time they’re in Dallas. The toughest CorsiRel belongs to Gagner, who was well short of 100% these games. I think that’s on the coach—and it definitely had an impact.

5×5/60 (BTN)

10. Ben Eager 1.19
  11. Ales Hemsky 1.13
  12. Luke Gazdic 1.08
  13. Sam Gagner 0.79
  14. Nail Yakupov 0.67
  15. Jesse Joensuu playing Teemu Hartikainen 0.00

Hall’s Hall, he’s always pushed the river at even strength. Arcobello has been solid this season and is miles more productive than Gagner (although Samwise is getting his points and chances—he’s not there but is close). After that, Perron & Eberle are having fine starts and Ryan Smyth is playing well thank you; Will Acton has been making some use of those 5 minutes a night and then we’re down to wondering a little about Nuge and a lot about Hemsky, Gagner and Mr. Yakupov.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

deneuve1Big game tonight, Oilers have a chance to win three in a row against a team they’ve beaten earlier this season. Scheduled to appear:

• Matt Henderson, Hockeybuzz.We’ll preview the Oilers-Panthers are try to find a #1 defenseman not named Ehrhoff.
  • Rob Soria, Oil Drop. We’ll talk about keepers for next year and Bryzgalov’s debut.
  • Kirk Luedeke, Red Line Report. The Bruins side of the Seguin-Eriksson deal and the 2014 draft.
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. Nurse for the WJ’s and the 2014 draft.

10-1260 and @Lowetide_ we’ll also talk Grey Cup!

332 Responses to "PANTHERS AT OILERS, G24, 13-14"

Newer Comments »
  1. G Money says:

“David Penner” – ha, nice Freudian slip there LT!

2. serum114 says:

We should call him Penron from now on.

He is quite difficult to account for…

lol. David Penner. IS there a David Penner?

4. russ99 says:

Nice, the Sledgehammer is backing up my call for a Gordon – Perron – Joensuu shutdown line.

Smyth is a pretty solid fill-in at this point as long as he’s healthy.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I wonder how much Hall and Ebs were helped by Horcoff? Some of that contract money might be well spent by spoiling old #10 next time they’re in Dallas.

6. Vaclav says:

Is that Catherine Deneuve, LT? Oh my!

7. Brackenburied says:

This is probably a stupid question (I don’t follow advance stats) but doesn’t Eberle’s bubble suggest he’s playing the game by himself? Shouldn’t Hall have blue balls as well, perhaps just a lighter shade?

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: We can make reasons for all of them, but Sam Gagner hurt the team coming back too soon, Hemsky isn’t earning 5 large at even strength and Yakupov needs to have more games like Tuesday. Understand, I love all three players but if we’re being honest this disaster of a season falls on some forwards as well as the blue and the goalie and the coach and the general manager.

I agree complete with this… but wanted to dwell on the reasons a bit.

Gagner and Yak are easier to reconcile: One wasn’t near ready and the other didn’t hit the ground running with a new coach.

On Hemsky though, I think part of the reason is he’s been mis-assigned in the Horcoff role (he’s been playing with Gagner and Yak lately), when Hemsky is the kind of player that needs a Horcoff or a Smyth to play with, i.e., someone who can drive the net and make garbage out of his swirling.

He also seems to create a lot of superb chances that luck has determined will not go in.

That said, him and Yak were finding some chem last game and we may well see a turn around in both players.

9. DeadmanWaking says:

RNH is -2 for November (nine games) with a -3 coming against Tampa, about which Willis wrote:

I’ve seen some pretty undeserved plus/minus ratings, but Nugent-Hopkins’ minus-3 tonight ranks right up there. He was on the ice for every goal both for and against Tampa Bay, but as far as I can tell he was doing exactly what he should have been on all of them (side note: how idiotic is it that empty net goals count in plus/minus?). Seven shot attempts and 70 percent in the faceoff circle; this really wasn’t a bad night for Nugent-Hopkins, regardless of what the goal numbers say.

Moreover, he’s shooting 5.6% for the month vs 13.8% for October.

I’m not wondering a house on fire. His numbers should come around in due course. There was one recent game where the game grade at Cult noted he was uncharacteristically erratic and ineffective. Maybe he was in a bad mood for some unknown reason.

He was -9 after four games. Since then he’s gone -2 during a 5-11-1 run, playing over 20:00 in the majority of these games.

Advanced statistics become more useful once a team reaches some kind of competitive equilibrium. I’ll be interested to see how he tracks in the game 31 to game 50 segment.

10. Bos8 says:

I’m willing to wait a few games and see if it still works with tougher opposition – but damn, Hemsky and Yak are doing some fine things entering the O zone. Next is Yak/Hemsky blasting up the ice in the Anderson/Messier lock step.

Once long ago, Linseman came over and played on the Messier line. Anderson winds up and heads up ice, Messier is tucked in behind. Linseman sees this and motors for the far post. Anderson goes behind the net and back passes to Messier. Next time, Linseman is all by his lonesome, waving his stick at the far post – back pass to Messier. The third time – Linseman is playing caboose on the choo choo. Brought the place down. Mind you back then, a third of the crowd wore hockey jackets.

I’d like to say that the sequence was back pass, shot, Linseman scores on the rebound – but memory fades.

11. slopitch says:

I don’t love QoC but counting the number of players about the x-axis is a good indicator of bad teams. Work to be done. But its encouraging to know that big improvements should come from Yak and Gagner. I’m not confident Hemsky lasts much longer.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

russ99: Preferably, we could bring in someone better than Smyth/Joensuu for the second winger at some point.

That’s the Winnik, Kulemin, Magnus (fully formed) role LT’s been craving for years.

13. Lynas1 says:

How come the last few articles have the lists of players where Eberle is listed as a centre? Anyone else see that?

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lynas1:
    How come the last few articles have the lists of players where Eberle is listed as a centre?Anyone else see that?

Things like forward position and vitals (height/weight) are notoriously out of date near everywhere dealing with NHL players/prospects.

My guess is this is what happened: Eberle was listed as a center on draft day, he stopped playing center shortly thereafter, this was never updated on various sites, because beyond boxcars these things aren’t well tracked or of much interest to most sites, BTN most likely just plucked the info from NHL years ago when he was probably still listed as a center. Didn’t bother to update, because that’s not their bailiwick.

something like that.

It’s frustrating but rampant and BTN isn’t the place for accuracy on this front.

Lynas1:

The NHL lists Eberle as a C.

All advanced stats get their data from the NHL game sheets.

So you’ll see Eberle listed as a C for a long time as its almost impossible to pull that stuff out when you’re dealing with large data sets.

16. Gerta Rauss says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Read this about 10 times and can’t make a lick of sense out of it. I’m sure I’ll look like an idiot as I’m sure the answer is staring at me right in face… but… what?

Hall/Ebs buy Horc dinner the next time they are in Dallas.?

17. Lynas1 says:

Thanks woodguy and Romulus. Seems like such a simple thing to fix. Threw me for a loop.

18. Hammers says:

Seems to me Hemsky has played with just about everyone on the 1st 3 lines . His settling down again the last few games but personally I would have preferred he play with Gordon & Smyth thereby having Yak & Perron with Gags . This lets Yak & Perron switch wings as they feel the game and could put or give a different look to the defenders even period to period . Shakes things up . Would liked to have seen Arco get another shot especially against the Panthers as he played great against them .

19. FastOil says:

Woodguy: The NHL lists Eberle as a C.

All advanced stats get their data from the NHL game sheets.

Maybe somebody tying to send hint to Oilers. Gagner no good centre maybe ok RW, Eberle better player Gagner work harder smarter maybe good centre played it before stupid team.

20. Lucinius says:

Hammers,

Why?

I mean, the Perron-Gordon-Smyth line is having great success and Yak/Hemsky-Gagner-Hemsky/Yak is starting to get something going (note: I have the wings like that because as I’ve noted earlier, a lot of the recent Hemsky/Yak chemistry seems to derive from Hemsky entering the o-zone more and more down the left wing and Yak down the right wing, the flip-side of where they are both supposed to enter based on their position).

You do not change what works. Those two lines are creating chances or goals. Why muck it up by thinking too much? Further more, it leaves the kids together and they tend to complement each other fairly well.

Lastly, Arco should be in. I’d drop in into the 4th line right now, put Joenssu on one wing, call up Lander and stick him on the other wing and tell Jones and Gadzic to enjoy some popcorn while I send Acton down to the minors where he belongs. Would give us a better fourth line with skill, some size and a decent amount of shit-stirring (one of Lander’s unsung qualities.. he seems to piss other teams off for some reason). Lander might find some more NHL success in the bottom six where he doesn’t have to center a line of oblivion and each of the three can actually play with the puck, and two of them away from it.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gerta Rauss: Hall/Ebs buy Horc dinner the next time they are in Dallas.?

Yes! Thank You!…

For the life of me I couldn’t get “spoiling” to mean that. I kept rolling the dice and it kept coming up, tripped in the locker room or something. And, by contract money I kept thinking LT meant the cap saved by offloading Horc…

At any rate, it was a very confusing time for me.

22. Lynas1 says:

Lucinius:
    Hammers,

Why?

I agree not to rock the boat when it’s moving well, but I’d rather see Lander stay in the AHL this year as long as possible. To each his own though.

23. Lucinius says:

Lynas1,

I’d have liked that to have been the case in past seasons, but hey. Oilers.

I’d also rather leave Lander down there, but, imo, he’s a better option than Acton, Gadzic or the post-eye-injury Jones.

24. Lynas1 says:

Lucinius:
    Lynas1,

I’d have liked that to have been the case in past seasons, but hey. Oilers.

Agreed, but I wouldn’t want to potentially hamper his development again if they still see him as a potential mid/longer term fit. Wouldn’t waste that chance on a probably lost season. I agree he is better then all you mentioned though.

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

SMac on waivers:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 5m
    #Oilers place forward Steve MacIntyre on waivers.

just a day after a hospital visit in team colors:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 17h
    What’s that? You want to see MORE #Oilers hospital visit photos from today?! (Gallery > http://ow.ly/r1TWt ) pic.twitter.com/UXZkdmLjOM

not a fan of the guy, but it must be frustrating to not even get a game in. esp. since he seems to really want to be an Oiler.

26. jake70 says:

Smac – For all the times he’s been an Oiler, I don’t think he’s ever been on an Oiler farm team. Maybe he clears and can protect whoever needs protecting in OKC.

27. Numenius says:

Being at 49 contracts, I bet McT would really like someone to pick SMac up. The same was probably true for Labarbera.

28. slopitch says:

I don’t feel that bad for SMac. At the end of the day, 800k or whatever is a lot to make to play hockey. Wish him the best though. At least the Oilers didnt move a guy like Colborn to keep SMac.

Watching the game tonight, I wonder how many times I will wish the Oilers had a player like Nick Bjugstad. A 6″7 C would be the missing piece to our top 6. Tallon got flieeced on the Versteeg trade. I wonder if we could take on a bad contract like a Brian Campbell or Kopecky and somehow get him.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Numenius:

With Smac definitely. Getting him off the books would be a classic addition by subtraction case.

They probably wanted LaBarbs to get picked up too, but he has value to the team still, at least as long as Bachman is injured. Those boys down there need someone to help out and if he rights the ship, who knows, he may bring something at the deadline.

30. russ99 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

This brings up an interesting question that’s been bugging me for a while:

Is there any way to release a player signed to an NHL or 2-way contract under the CBA anymore, or does it have to be done via a buyout?

Or is it something like: If we have to pay a guy anyway, may as well pay him to help out in OKC, than pay him to sit at home, plus there’s some cap relief burying a contract in the AHL.

31. Lois Lowe says:

The night Smac got hurt I was watching the game at the Oiler in Vancouver. I met a girl with a MacIntyre jersey and I asked her if she was happy that he’d resigned with the Oilers. As it turns out, I was chatting up his sister (who btw could be featured in this blog YOWZA) so now I feel like cheering for him to play in the NHL somewhere.

32. Cobbler says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I am happy that LeBarbera didn’t get claimed. Despite the terrible start, he is a quality NHL back-up and he may be needed yet.

We saw only 4 games and a bit of LeBarbera, no where near enough to condemn him to the scrap heap.

33. Gerta Rauss says:

russ99:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

This brings up an interesting question that’s been bugging me for a while:

I’d wager that Grebs and the Oilers go that route before the season ends but that’s just me spitballing-I have no evidence or inside information.

34. Gerta Rauss says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gerta Rauss: If the Oilers decide that neither Dubnyk or Bryzgalov are in the long term plans, I can see BOTH of them being moved at the deadline and Labarbera would be the Oilers starter to finish out the season.

Yea. that’s an option too!

Him and Bachman in charge.

36. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: At any rate, it was a very confusing time for me.

It is a very confusing time for all Oiler fans.

slopitch: I don’t feel that bad for SMac. At the end of the day, 800k or whatever is a lot to make to play hockey.

True enough, but it’s always a tough thing to get hurt and have someone take your job away during. Seems like SMac’s heart and fists are in the right place, even if he has no apparent NHL level hockey skills.

37. Racki says:

I admittedly have a man crush on Boyd Gordon. Very hard worker.. Ubderappreciated no matter how much he’s appreciated. Constant workhorse yet still manages to look good offensively when needed

38. linkfromhyrule says:

Going to the game tonight, got nosebleed tickets for free. It would be nice to see them win for once, last game I went to they lost 5-0 to chicago. It was also my first time ever going to a game. Should be interesting watching this clash of the titans…… Hopefully they continue their mini hot streak llol

39. GordM says:

I watched Boyd Gordon play when he was with the Rebels and I lived in Red Deer back in 2002/03. What a great addition, the only problem I have with him is that he makes me feel old!

40. Logan91 says:

linkfromhyrule:

That sucks your first game was a crappy one.

I had season tickets in 08-09 and I took my grandmother to a Detroit game, and the Oil got shut out 0-4. By the 3rd period she was yelling ” just shoot the damn puck” haha. Then on the way home she made it very clear how going to that game was a waste of time. Ohhh the memories that the Oilers leave with us.

41. Racki says:

As bad as those games are, my buddy and I got to witness a 10-1 loss and a 9-0 loss. Now those are terrible. Pretty sure those were the same here.. Like 5 years ago is

42. Old School G says:

Racki:

I’m right there with you Racki! He’s an absolute warrior that does not know how to be complacent when he’s on the ice, he’s quietly leading by example, my kind of player.

43. "Steve Smith" says:

Gerta Rauss: The team and player can mutually agree to terminate the contract-it doesn’t happen very often but Kovalchuck was the most prominent example this summer-they both agreed to terminate the contract and he signed in the KHL shortly thereafter. If I recall, the Oilers and Rajala did the same thing over the summer.

I’m fairly sure that this is wrong. It’s certainly wrong about Kovalchuk, who actually had to retire from the NHL to get out of his contract. I can’t remember for sure what happened with Rajala, but I thought his contract expired.

I’m pretty sure there’s no provision allowing for mutually agreed upon contract terminations in the CBA, but I stand open to correction.

44. Gerta Rauss says:

“Steve Smith”,

You’re right about the Kovalchuk thing-he did retire-I don’t know what I was thinking.

Some Rajala info courtesy Bruce and Bob Stauffer, and Stauffer specifically used the words “mutual termination of a contract”.

There is another instance of this happening under the old CBA but I can’t recall at the moment who was involved.

45. Melman says:

Flew from Van last year after a friend hooked me up with tickets so I could take my 10 year old to his first Oiler game in Edm. It was the 0-3 debacle in the 2nd game of the BTB against the Ducks. His highlight was getting our whole section to boo at the same time. When I was ready to pack the season in 10 games ago he said “Dad you gotta support your team even when they’re down.”

I lie awake at night wracked with guilt for subjecting him to the curse of being an Oiler fan. On the plus side he hates the Canucks and despite the standings I think the Oil have a better chance if raising Stanley before the Shamu’s do.

46. Melman says:

Gerta Rauss,

Didn’t Luongo say last year he would happily tear up his contract if he could? Not that any player would want to walk from that contract unless they were in Kovy’s shoes

47. "Steve Smith" says:

LoDog,

Gerta Rauss,

You do appear to be right about Rajala (and therefore the question of whether mutual termination of a contract is possible). I wonder if it might be restricted to ELCs, or to players who have played fewer than X games in the NHL, or something of that nature? Otherwise, I’d have thought we’d have seen it more often.

48. Numenius says:

LoDog:
    Rajala was a mutual termination along with several other players.

Rajala had to go on unconditional waivers first, so that seems to be one option. Every team had to have a chance to take on his contract before being able to get out of it. Presumably a player can come back to the NHL on that scenario. Kovalchuk could do it because he retired and presumably can’t come back to the NHL, which would be another option.

If those are the only two options, it makes sense that Luongo and Vancouver didn’t want to take either of them.

It also seems like a good idea to me to make terminating so difficult. Don’t want the Luongos/Vancouvers of the world getting away with making such ridiculous contracts.

(edited)

49. Gerta Rauss says:

Melman,

Yeah, he did, although I can’t say if he was serious or just venting, and besides, I’m not sure Vancouver would agree to that, because despite them being unable to move him, he does have value, and Van would have been left with nothing if he/they tore up his contract.

I’m surprised the NHL allows this, it would appear to be open to abuse and/or cap circumvention. And I was surprised the Kovalchuk deal went down as it did, although they can’t stop players from retiring. It may become an issue though if he ever wants to play in the NHL again.

50. Gerta Rauss says:

Numenius,

See above re:Luongo

I think the Canucks had more to lose than Luongo

51. LoDog says:

Numenius: I wonder what the options are surrounding a mutual termination. You can’t simply do it if both sides agree; otherwise Luongo and the Canucks would have done it.

(edited)

Have not been able to dig up further info yet but it does seems the player has to be put on unconditional waivers first so that would stop that option for Luongo or Kovalchuk. Would be interesting to find out the details.

52. Gerta Rauss says:

“Steve Smith”:
    LoDog,

Gerta Rauss,

I wonder if it might be restricted to ELCs, or to players who have played fewer than X games in the NHL, or something of that nature?Otherwise, I’d have thought we’d have seen it more often.

I wonder if this would become a bigger issue if a Luongo type player tried this…of course he’d have to go through waivers…interesting.

53. Bails14 says:

Anyone else see Perron as our version of Alex Burrows? Just better skilled, not as ‘bitey’.

54. Melman says:

Bails14,

55. Bails14 says:

Melman,

Maybe Lowetide FINALLY stops beating the “Give Pouliot a Shot” drum.

56. Zelepukin says:

Melman: I’ve been calling him that all year – although Burrows by eye seems faster (or did anyway). I think an important part of any successful team is the ability to have someone deliver a post-game interview with a French accent

57. namflashback says:

Zelepukin: That’s my only hang up with Perron. His top speed is probably around Smyth level but his acceleration and speed with the puck down low is much stronger.

I kind of like the blend of the lines right now (except the Acton line). The Hopkins line on the rush and fast cycle, the Gagner line of ridiculous passes, the Gordon line with down low plays and at the net savvy.

58. G Money says:

Re: tonight’s game.

I missed the first period of Tuesday’s slaughter because I was (gasp) at the gym training.

I will miss the first period of tonight’s game because I will once again be (gasp) at the gym training.

Oilers: better be at least 3-0 for you guys again after the first, or there will be hell to pay!

59. Bag of Pucks says:

G Money:
    Re: tonight’s game.

I missed the first period of Tuesday’s slaughter because I was (gasp) making love to my wife.

I will miss the first period of tonight’s game because I will be (gasp) making love to G Money’s wife.

I keed. I keed : )

60. slopitch says:

Bag of Pucks,

You missed the whole period doing that?!? Thats what tv timeouts are for! ;)

61. Bag of Pucks says:

slopitch:
    Bag of Pucks,

You missed the whole period doing that?!? Thats what tv timeouts are for!

You would think that would be enough time, but G Money’s gal is a little ‘pent up’ ; )

62. Rondo says:

Darnell Nurse plays tonight for the OHL against the Russians

63. Bails14 says:

Rondo:
    Darnell Nurse plays tonight for the OHLagainst the Russians

And is wearing the “C”.

EDIT: hmm maybe not?

64. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The Monsters have a player named “Lerg”

Sounds like a monster (no offence to the Lergs).

65. stevezie says:

linkfromhyrule: Going to the game tonight, got nosebleed tickets for free.

See you there, possibly the same section. I had to pay $20, which is practically free…

66. Rondo says:

Scott Laughton is the Captain for the OHL. Nice pick by Philly

67. justDOit says:

hockeystreams question for anyone: Have you ever been able to stream an HD feed from that site? I’ll get a minute of two without problems, and then it gets all herky-jerky and stutters to a halt. That they don’t offer a mid-quality stream is also very frustrating.

I can pull three HD streams from Netflix or Youtube at once with my shaw connection, and still get decent throughput on speedtest.net, so I’m pretty sure it’s not on my end.

68. VanOil says:

Given in every Subway Series game I have seen both teams have the ability to cycle the puck how come the young Oiler players can’t figure it out? It is not a pro-game only strategy.

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Monsters also have a Gabe Desjardins… funny.

70. VanOil says:

Nurse heard the Oilers dog whistle and cost a goal against. A travelling scout must have it.

71. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Ryan Hamilton wins a footrace and draws a penalty”

something never said prior to right now.

72. Derek says:

justDOit:

Yea their flash streams can be finnicky as all hell. I usually watch FLASH DVR on the oppositions broadcast and have few problems, or stream via VLC media player.

73. justDOit says:

Derek,

FLASH DVR on the oppositions broadcast…

Do you mean from hockeystreams, or some other site?

If you’re watching, how does Curtis Hamilton look? First game this season.

75. VanOil says:

Josh Anderson of the London Knights and Columbus Blue Jackets has caught my eye. Mind you he is a giant. But he seems to have speed and hands as well.

Russian second goal with Nurse in the box. The kid is not having a great start.

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

If you’re watching, how does Curtis Hamilton look? First game this season.

watching/listening while making dinner… can’t say… I’m not “hearing” his name at all… lots of penalties so far.

77. Derek says:

justDOit:
    Derek,

FLASH DVR on the oppositions broadcast…

Do you mean from hockeystreams, or some other site?

When watching an EDM-FLA game, choose Flash DVR rather than flash live, North America West server and FLA feed. DVR live is typically about a minute behind the flash live feed but that extra minute gives you a little buffer space for any hiccups you may have in your connection. I’m guessing watching on the oppositions feed is also a little smoother because of less demand? Whatever the reason, it typically works far better than watching live on the EDM broadcast.

78. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Now that I think of it… it is entirely possible a few of those “Hamiltons” were Curtis… the Monster announcer isn’t discriminating by first name. Maybe he drew that penalty earlier… “footrace” and Curtis probably makes more sense than “footrace” and Ryan.

79. Derek says:

VanOil:

Russian second goal with Nurse in the box. The kid is not having a great start.

80. justDOit says:

Derek,

I’ll check that out, thanks!

Hey, but I’ll miss Gene and Louie if I watch the Panther feed…

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ok. I’ve tracked him now. #10. Looks biggish, skating hard. Nice drive to the net on the last shift of the period. doesn’t look hampered… but the team through the first is getting the old fuck job. Brossoit stopped 18 shots!!!

Barons only had 6 shots.

that’s not going to work.

82. bookje says:

(edited)

I believe they can mutually terminate. Funny thing is Luongo has no interest on giving up millions of dollars to make the Canucks management happy.

83. Romulus Apotheosis says:

oh man… they’ve blindfolded this poor guy and gal have them out wandering around on the ice… the lawyers must have drawn up some interesting release forms for that.

Romulus Apotheosis:

Barons only had 6 shots.

that’s not going to work.

Yeesh. Well, the Oilers train ‘em young!!!!

85. VanOil says:

Derek: I wouldn’t put the first GA on Nurse at all, he was leading the rush and the forward he passed to gave the puck away and all three forwards were following deep with no one covering his point.

Yes but like Harper speaking of the Senate I chose my words carefully and only accused Nurse of hearing a dog whistle. The whole play was classic 2013 Oilers hockey.

I was watching the Blues-Bruins game just now, and Ian Cole had the puck and carried it behind the net, then powered forward and I thought ‘why can’t our guys do that?’ just as Cole passed it back and turned it over.

Le sigh. 1-0 Bruins. Defense is hard, and demonized.

87. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Brossoit stopped 18 shots!!!

88. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Le sigh. 1-0 Bruins. Defense is hard, and demonized.

How’s Magnus looking?

89. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil: Good news is Oilers goalies get lots of practice stopping pucks. It would be better news if he shows a flair for it because I miss Smid.

90. VanOil says:

The OHL website seems much more up to date/realistic on the Height and Weight of growing young men than other sources. The have Josh Anderson listed at 6.03 and 212lbs where other sources have him 6.01 185lbs. The bigger number seems more realist to eye. I am now discounting his performance little given he is draft +2.

Ewanyk scores his first pro goal. 1-0, Barons being outshot 20-8.

92. Logan91 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I thought they might give Labarbera a shot at the game, but Brossoit is surprising so far. if he can avoid the Bunz collapse as pro career starts, that would be amazing for the team.

Brossoit is always good, I don’t understand why he got so much crap on here.

He’s one of those players you need to actually watch to see how good he is. Just looking at his numbers doesn’t do him justice.

Romulus Apotheosis: How’s Magnus looking?

He’s looking good. Fast, got a shot off, making plays.

94. VanOil says:

Agreed. I recall the Oliver Roy collapse coming in game one of his World Jr career amazing what one bad game in a big game can do to a goalie physiology/reputation.

Ewanyk (Grebeshkov, Ford)

Fedun (Nesbitt, Omark)

97. LoDog says:

Lowetide: He’s looking good. Fast, got a shot off, making plays.

Wrister from just inside the blueline? :)

98. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Logan91: Brossoit is always good, I don’t understand why he got so much crap on here.

Come now Wolverine.

I don’t think people were running him down at all. I think people were upset about losing Smid and about the return, excited about Brossoit and Horak, but cautious about the upside of both.

At any rate, he’s having one hell of a game. good for him.

It is worth noting the team clearly values Brossoit over Bunz as the latter is in Bakersfield right now after a couple solid games for the Barons as is older.

99. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Fedun (Nesbitt, Omark)

100. Old School G says:

I’ve never seen Brossoit play but am looking forward to seeing how he does. Which NHL goalie would you compare his style of play to?

101. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: He’s looking good. Fast, got a shot off, making plays.

Send them another 2nd and a prospect and let him play the Kulemin role?

102. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lander (Fedun)

PP goal on the 5×3

103. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lander!!!!

from Hamilton (Ryan) and Omark (Omark with 2 assists).

Again on the PP 5×4

Romulus Apotheosis: apparently he’s got 3 shots on the night already. did he shoot this much last year (Fedun)?

Lander scores 3-1 OKC.

Fedun shooting 43 times in 16 games this season, 2.69 shots per game.
    Fedun last season 92 times in 70 games, 1.31 shots per game.

105. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Both goals from the same spot, left side of the slot, 10-12 feet out. music.

he’s getting a lot of discipline work this year. I think he arrives at camp next year fully NHL formed and ready to be the 4C (assuming he gets a contract… I think he should).

106. G Money says:

Bag of Pucks,

She is insatiable, it’s true, but no worries on that count Bag of Pucks … from what I hear, your personality is more effective than any chastity belt ever made!

107. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ewanyk from Fedun

Fedun with a great drive down the right side…

Lander scores twice and now Ewanyk with his 2nd of the night. Hell’s bells boys!

109. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Lander scores 3-1 OKC.

Fedun shooting 43 times in 16 games this season, 2.69 shots per game.
    Fedun last season 92 times in 70 games, 1.31 shots per game.

Sounds like a guy who recognizes his NHL chances are on the line. that’s a huge jump. the call up suggests the Oilers are taking note.

110. Romulus Apotheosis says:

111. Romulus Apotheosis says:

crap. Eager. I like that you are standing up for your teammate here… but fuck. your life is ahead of you pal. Fighting in the AHL isn’t worth it. don’t die. please. retire, have some kids. take up painting.

Romulus Apotheosis: Ewanyk must have heard Guy talking about him this afternoon. Trying to make that WJC story sound more and more plausible.

113. Romulus Apotheosis says:

R. Hamilton (Grebs, Hunt) PP

6-1 now. After dominating the shots early, the Barons have taken over, shots count starting to even out. (29-21 Monsters… and that’s a couple of minutes off)

Ryan Hamilton (Hunt, Grebeshkov). Sounds like Todd Nelson has unlocked this team. He’ll be gone next year but there have been some nice seasons down there under him.

115. VanOil says:

Lowetide: Ha! I wonder if Moroz makes the team? I hadn’t thought of him before his nice start this season.

116. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That would be amazing. He’s having a break out year and showing he can run with the skill when given the chance. He’s got to do it all year now. It would be a real big story for this team if he had a big year. huge if he plays at the WJC.

117. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Omark is too good for this level. He can make AHL teams look insane.

Lowetide: Sounds like Todd Nelson has unlocked this team. He’ll be gone next year but there have been some nice seasons down there under him.

We may regret not giving him a shot to contest Eakins’ job.

Gerta Rauss: It appears to be restricted to the lower profile players ie: “they suck and nobody wants them on waivers”

Unconditional waivers is what stops the whole thing from being abused.

Before a contract can be mutually terminated the player must pass through unconditional waivers.

That keeps it to the lower profile Rajala types.

They avoided that with Kovy by him retiring.

The catch there is that if he ever wants to play in the NHL again he’d have to pass through waivers AFTER signing his contract with whoever signed him.

That will probably keep him out of the NHL.

VanOil: I wonder if Tamebellini talks the Ducks into trading for his prized coke machine. I would take the NHLs +/- leader back. Your boy MacT might not like it though.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Omark is too good for this level. He can make AHL teams look insane.

We may regret not giving him a shot to contest Eakins job.

I hear he was really pissed that they didn’t call him to interview.

Rightfully so too.

Nelson has arguably done more with less to work with at the AHL level than Eakins did.

121. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Man this Monsters team is unravelling like a cheap suit.

Hope Musil is OK. He got jumped pretty hard after a clean hit.

122. VanOil says:

Lowetide: One thing years of watching NHL teams (instead of being productive) have taught me: the new GM is attached to HIS draft picks, all others are on a new level—no attachment whatsoever.

Agreed. New again GMs and Scouts like to find there old picks again as well. But would the new GM ever go back to Penner his frenemy as a coach?

RNH-Hall-Eberle
    Gordon-Perron-Hemsky
    Gagner-Penner-Yak
    Arco-Joensuu-Smyth/Jones
    And Fred and Barnys Alien friend giving the the stink eye from the rafters

123. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy: Unconditional waivers is what stops the whole thing from being abused.

That keeps it to the lower profile Rajala types.

They avoided that with Kovy by him retiring.

That will probably keep him out of the NHL.

Thank you sir.

124. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: I hear he was really pissed that they didn’t call him to interview.

Rightfully so too.

Is that the kind of “you hear things in EDM” deal that LT is always going on about?

When does his contract end? I know he must have an opt out clause for NHL work, but is he even under contract for next year?

Is Fleming or Thompson ready to take over the Barons?

125. Lynas1 says:

My boy Lander with two goals :)

126. Old School G says:

VanOil,

Dustin Penner now is exactly what the team needs. Dustin Penner when we first had him was my nemesis.

127. VanOil says:

Oilers like to give up the first shot/chance like a fighter that likes to be hit first.

128. OilBuzz says:

Observations:

1. Tim Thomas has a weird-ass mask / neck guard
    2. Facepalm-worthy puns

Eberle (Nugent-Hopkins, Hall)

130. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Eberle!!!!

131. OilBuzz says:

Gotta love confidence

132. VanOil says:

Old School G,

The team apparently only needed a 5 forward power play and all is right in the world.

Imagine how little people would complain of Gagner and Yak if Penner was on there line to shoulder all the blame.

133. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Jeez… this fucking Monsters team is going crazy in the final minutes here… guys fighting from the bench. Eager just lost it on Tam… Hunt getting mugged… yikes!

134. VanOil says:

Did Smyth pass a kidney stone he has been playing like a young man for the last week.

Based on the penalties dished out, the 1970′s appearing tonight in that Lake Erie-Okc game.

136. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Did anyone else see SN announce Roman Horak playing 2LD… ie. Ference.

that would be quite a debut… of course, Eakins said he considered playing Perron at defence the other night.

137. Romulus Apotheosis says:

And they play again tomorrow!

138. OilBuzz says:

Putting pucks on net, loving it!!!

139. OilClog says:

In what sick world is Acton a better player then Arco.. Eakins should be brought around back and tuned for this constant bad decision.

140. hunter1909 says:

So far they haven’t missed a beat since last game.

Eakins looks great. His demeanor has literally taken a 140 degree turn.

141. VanOil says:

Eberle – Hall as the two PK forwards for a bit was an aggressive choice.

142. VanOil says:

Belov doing his holding the puck in at the line trick again.

143. hunter1909 says:

Hall did something he never usually does. Passed the puck as he entered the zone, lol.

144. Gerta Rauss says:

hunter1909:

Eakins looks great. His demeanor has literally taken a 140 degree turn.

I’d check that math.

145. Gerta Rauss says:

Not sure what happened for the first 20 games but the team in blue and orange looks terrific.

146. VanOil says:

Gerta Rauss: I’d check that math.

147. hunter1909 says:

“Nail Yakupov, one on four…” LOL

148. hunter1909 says:

VanOil: Building on Hunters suggestions for Eakins last game I am guessing he means by ‘Degree’ he means ‘Proof’ as in the strength of drink consumed.

149. OilBuzz says:

WOW, hemsky/yak are the most exciting duo I’ve seen in a while

150. hunter1909 says:

Oilers starting to go for the slot. In boxing terms they’ve just risen a weight class…from lightweight to welterweight.

It will be great to see them play one of the “big bad” teams. Hoping they keep fighting.

151. VanOil says:

hunter1909: Eakins and myself have both been on recent benders, I can’t 100% attest for the former but as for the latter that’s as obvious as my aspirin supply.

Well keep it up man, you are the Oilers good luck charm!

152. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gagner… man. guy needs something. put a turnip in his pillow at night, I hear that helps.

153. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ference has a goal, no?

yep, he does:

154. Nuckout says:

Shots, shots, shots, shots.

That’s what wins hockey games. I really want to say the dark days are coming to an end. I really do.

How about Gener with the construction prop intro? Classic. I really want him to interview Bryz in a bear costume. Like badly. I know it’s played out, but I amuse easily.

Principe is so much more palatable when they’re winning.

I hope they get one more Perron.

156. Zelepukin says:

hunter1909:
    “Nail Yakupov, one on four…”LOL

I have no problems with that attempt, if he gets a shot off and is the first one entering the zone.

Visiting commentators love to say Yak never passes though. 80% of the time its because he isn’t moving his feet, unlike the last two game or it’s because he stick-handles unnecessarily fast.

157. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ohhh… I like this version of the Oilers.

Let’s keep them.

158. hunter1909 says:

Belov is a willing point man, but his shot is wild.

hunter1909:
    Belov is a willing point man, but his shot is wild.

He lets them know he’s there!!!

160. hunter1909 says:

I hope they get one more Perron.

I wonder which Montreal Canadien from ages gone by Perron resembles. He’s got a really accurate looking shot, skates flying like a Frenchman.

Petry with a bit of tough period.

Yak taking his defensive role to the Yak limit so is trying to play both wings in the Dzone.

Not a bad period though.

Hope they keep up the pressure.

FLA much better than CBJ and stopping the rush.

A little chip and chase needed when the zone isn’t available.*

*NOTE: chip and chase isn’t dump and chase. Chip and chase is essentially passing it to yourself in the future.

Lowetide: He lets them know he’s there!!!

Anton “Nuke” Belov

Lowetide: He lets them know he’s there!!!

Announcing his presence with authority.

164. OilLeak says:

Nuckout,

I remain skeptical until the team puts up a decent performance against a good team

165. Old School G says:

VanOil,

Penner was unfairly criticized during his time in Edmonton?

166. OilClog says:

I really love how Belov doesn’t budge at the line, he gives no room. The team seems to slowly doing this as a group, but Belov has been standing tall since day one. I would sign him, sign him now to Smid money if you can. He’s going to be a player for the rest of his NHL career, I don’t think MacT will let him slip away.

Woodguy: Announcing his presence with authority.

168. OilClog says:

Yakupov at 21 may be one of the scariest players in the league. He keeps throwing the body the way he does, kid is going to own the world.

169. Nuckout says:

OilLeak:
    Nuckout,

We’ll see what happens vs. Chicago. That will be the test. If they stay consistent, then we have a fighting chance. This team is coalescing and learning to win.

Gordon perfect in the faceoff circle tonight. We need 2 more Gordons with an extra bowl of Perron.

The team is saying and doing the right things. We’ll see if It sticks.

Keep in mind, the line combo’s are starting to show their shine, Eakins work in progress may be coming to fruition. I mean, we could have Torts as a coach, throwing s**t to the wall to see what sticks. Good god.

Gagner (Yakupov)

171. fuzzy muppet says:

Yakupov will own thiscity eventually.

He’s an absolute killer

172. OilClog says:

Yakupov makes me happy

173. VanOil says:

Yakupov pointing to his Father in the crowd, even after an assist, is the greatest celly in sports Mr Cherry be damned.

174. hunter1909 says:

Don Cherry likes that Yakupov pass to Gagner.

175. Nuckout says:

Great read on the pass by Yak. Can we start saying “Yak City” again without feeling that tinge of embarrassment? I think so!

176. justDOit says:

Brad Boyes Brad Boyes
    Whatcha gonna do

hunter1909: I wonder which Montreal Canadien from ages gone by Perron resembles. He’s got a really accurate looking shot, skates flyinglike a Frenchman.

His skating style reminds me of Ken Hodge, straight up which is unusual. As for a former Hab, I’ll go with Claude LaRose.

178. Minister D- says:

Unreal play by Yak on Gagner’s goal.

179. Nuckout says:

justDOit:
    Brad Boyes Brad Boyes
    Whatcha gonna do

Gold.

180. OilClog says:

Is it clear to everyone that Hall came back to early.. He has no legs

181. Nuckout says:

OilClog:
    Is it clear to everyone that Hall came back to early.. He has no legs

Yeah, he had no legs on that near break on the 4 on 4. Hoping it’s just a one off.

182. OilClog says:

Is this where they never look back?

Perron (J Schultz, Nugent-Hopkins

184. G Money says:

Ok, im back from my workout. Did i miss anything?

185. Minister D- says:

Perron’s justifying your love, LT.

186. VanOil says:

Wow Florida announce crew brigs up the Oilers are currently on a 14-0 goal run stretching back to the third in Calgary.

187. hunter1909 says:

Wtf happened to Dubnyk? I’ll freely admit to knowing next to nothing compared to these NHL people, but he’s playing like a brick wall

188. bookje says:

Remember back in the depths of this rebuild, back when this team looked like an ECHL team and you wondered if the would ever score again. Those were tough times!

189. Scotty LaDouche says:

VanOil:

*head explodes*

190. OilBuzz says:

Never giving up on puck battles, tape-to-tape passing, solid goaltending, good coverage, maintaining possession, functioning powerplay…

Is it safe to cheer again?

191. Chris says:

Apparently the Oilers found lightning in a bottle down in Calgary. I don’t know who this team is but I am enjoying seeing a team other than the Oilers being made to look foolish and inadequate.

192. G Money says:

Fair to say Gags and Yak have turned the corner?

From the coulda-shoulda department: Tom Gilbert is better by far than any current Oiler defenseman at calmly retrieving the puck and making a good exit pass.

193. gr8one says:

OilClog:
    Is this where they never look back?

I’d feel a lot better if we were actually beating good teams…

That being said, I’ll take this for now!

194. Chris says:

Yea Tom Gilbert is much better than Nick Schultz but…Tambellini….

Newer Comments »