PRIDE GOETH BEFORE A FALL

Struggling phenoms are no strangers to our town. Paul Coffey spent many nights of his rookie year confused, Messier was sent to the minors, Gretzky was mocked openly for being the only man in the league to obey a silly fighting rule (players not involved had to skate over to their bench or risk penalty. Wayne, who was only following the damn rules, did so, and received much derision for it).

Ryan Smyth scored 2 goals as a rookie, Kevin Lowe damn near got sent out his first October and on it goes.

Azorcan3

The Edmonton Oilers may not make the playoffs this year (anyone have 37 wins in their couch pockets?), but a team can get a bunch of things out of one losing year. If they can work Nail Yakupov into the equation, have successful seasons for Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Samwise, Hemmer, Gordon, Perron and find a ’9th’ for that group? Music! If they can find a partner who works with Justin Schultz, music! If they can settle down Dubnyk and he plays well enough to earn another contract (I know, I know) then the group has added some actual NHL players and the kids are a year older/better.

In the calendar year 1993, the Oilers had a lot of good things happen. They traded for Doug Weight in March, drafted Jason Arnott that summer (Miro Satan too) and grabbed Fredrik Olausson a few weeks before Christmas. That was a good year for the building of the team, in spite of poor won-loss.

Craig MacTavish has added some nice things (Gordon, Perron, Belov, possibly others) and this year is an opportunity for the club to add more players who will be a part of the future. Can he add the Schultz partner? Is it Braydon Coburn?

once

• Eakins: “I have kids bugging my daughter at school. That’s not very much fun. I’m walking my daughter to school yesterday and I have one kid yelling at everybody ‘There’s the head coach of the Edmonton Oilers!’ And my five-year-old daughter gets real excited because, ‘That’s my daddy.’ “And then I have another kid yelling, ‘You suck!’”

Well that’s bad form. I’m sure that Dallas Eakins is a better man about that kind of thing than me, but any slights toward my children (real or imagined) are in a special part of the ‘vault’ and remain there. I know kids can be kids, but they learn from their parents and that’s a poor reflection on our community. Call it an opportunity lost.

once1

• “My bad. I assumed that we knew what traditional D zone coverage was. It was clear that we didn’t.”

Eakins himself displayed (in my opinion) why he might have a hard time rallying people yesterday, by saying “my bad” and then throwing the entire blue under the bus by uttering the quote above. That’s not really owning something you know? I’m sure Eakins said it for a reason, but if I’m Laddy Smid this morning there’s more of a gap between myself and the head coach than there was a day ago.

And if you’re the coach, and that’s not communicated after the first period of the pre-season? I like Dallas Eakins, and could be reading too much into this, but that quote is a tell in my opinion. Something about pride goeth and all that.

once two

No word yet on a callup for defense, the Oilers need someone before Saturday night. The current group (Smid-Petry, Belov-JSchultz, Ference-NSchultz) has taken most of the sorties this season, and with Potter and Grebeshkov sent down there’s a need for a 7th. I’d be tempted to call up Taylor Fedun or (if he’s ready) Oscar Klefbom, but the Oilers may have something else in mind.

once three

The forwards are a mess because injury, if Perron can get back then the group should be good on Saturday night. I wonder if they’ll move Gagner to wing and slot Arcobello back to center?

1. Nuge-Perron-Eberle
  2. Arcobello-Yakupov-Hemsky
  3. Gordon-Jones-Gagner
  4. Acton-Gazdic-Lander

At least until Sam finds his legs? I don’t know. Eakins will use the blender no doubt.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

one five

Friday! It’ll be a fun show. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky from Big Mouth Sports. We’ll talk World Series, Leafs western road trip and media.
  • Jeff Krushell from Krush Performance. Baseball, helmet safety, money.
  • George Malik from Kukla’s Korner. He’ll give us the Detroit side of the Saturday night game.
  • Andreas Morse from FC Edmonton. We’ll wrap up the season and talk about the off-season plans.
  • Jungle Jim Hunter will talk to us about improvements in helmet safety in skiing and other Olympic events.

10-1260 via text and @Lowetide_ on twitter. Will be interesting!

130 Responses to "PRIDE GOETH BEFORE A FALL"

1. GordM says:

Eakins’ quote about “my bad…” is about as sincere as Lowe’s Two Types of Fan “Apologize if I offended you…”

2. boxman says:

Eakins quote is the truth and the truth will set us free. The Oilers players have had so many coaches how could we expect them to have mastered any system. If Eakins remains honest and upfront with the players they will respect that and if not…..bye bye player.

Many Oilers (Gagner and Smid, for example) have had five different head coaches in six years, who ran the gambit from old school to new age. Their heads are undoubtedly spinning. To hang not knowing “traditional D zone coverage” on the players was really, really bad form.

And like you said, if what he said is true, that is a #FAIL on the coach. He had training camp. You start from the beginning in training camp, especially when you are implementing a new fangled swarm system.

Please Fedun. It is too early for Klefbom. And if Fedun can stick, the long season of hell with ALL hope for the playoffs already GONE won’t seem so bad if you have to look Fedun in the eye every day in the locker room, knowing what he has come back from.

4. tcho says:

“And then I have another kid yelling, ‘You suck!’” Edmonton certainly doesn’t help itself with this portion of the fan base. We’ve already got some serious negatives against us for attracting/retaining people – winters, relative isolation, not the most attractive architecture, etc. – and then we throw stupidity like this into the pile.

5. Lloyd B. says:

I had a boss in the early 80s who nicknamed them Messup and Coffup.

6. sliderule says:

I love Mact but I pray he didn’t hire Eakins because he is a fellow workout nut.

7. BrazilianOil says:

8. TheGreatMutato says:

Not to be deliberately off-topic, but I thought you fellas would enjoy this suspension video for John Scott:

9. Clay says:

“Wanye”? You’ve been hanging out at Oilers Nation too much, LT!

10. Colonel Obvious says:

I’ve been defending Eakins pretty hard but I didn’t like that quote when I heard it on the radio last night. Admitting any kind of fault was foolishness with this media and fanbase that is already looking for someone to blame. They don’t have the sophistication required to understand nuance, so you shouldn’t give them any. Giving them this kind of rope is all they need to hang you with it.

All of this has the smell of something that is going to end badly.

Oh, and Godot, the swarm is not “new fangled.” You are just making stuff up. If the “swarm” had never been named you wouldn’t know they were doing anything differently.

11. stevezie says:

Eakins comes off as kind of a dick, but I believe it is calculated. We ignore the man’s resume at our own (relative) peril. The verbal from Marlies players was that they would go through a wall for him. Kadri almost sounded (in print) ready to cry over how much Eakins meant to him.

Relationships with his players is said to be his speciality (As it was Kruger’s- I maintain Kruger will make a helluva an assistant somewhere. Maybe more, someday?) So yes, I agree that many of his moves appear to be the sort of things that alienate people, but I’m choosing to believe it is part of a larger plan, because in the past that has been exactly the case.

This is not a Carlyle, “I tolerate that asshole because we win but if he ever crosses the street in front of my car and I can’t spot a witness I will not hesitate” type coach.

You don’t have to take my word for it: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/03/13/profiles-in-coaching-dallas-eakins/

I’ll summarize for the click-lazy, “If Dallas Eakins ever needs a Kidney, a liver, or a surrogate to bear his child the 2011-12 Marlies collectively volunteer.”

Players love him, just not at first.

None of this means he will be a good coach. I do think it means “losing the room” is not likely to be the source of his failure.

The sad reality is we might be sacrificing another season, this time not for draft picks but to reset the team and get everyone on board with the coach (who clearly has the support of the GM who clearly has the support of the owner, so everyone has the rope to do what they think needs to be done, for better or worse).

That said,
    BrazilianOil‘s math is correct. If we catch Toronto’s luck and ride some percentages we are still in range of evening out. Not likely, but optimism is free and it makes me feel good. Sports don’t really matter so there is no harm in ignoring hard realities when you don’t feel like being depressed. I don’t know why more of you don’t get on the train.

12. stevezie says:

godot10,

You’re right about Fedun, if he can play. Steve Macintyre is an inspiring story in a lot of ways but I don’t think that makes anyone anxious to share a locker-room with him.

I don’t feel the need to rush the callups. If Fedun and Larsen are good enough to be the the NHL now they’ll still be good enough later. Calling people up won’t fix the logjam of promising defenceman, a trade is coming even if it’s just Marincin for the equivalent of LW Marincin.

Colonel Obvious,

Toronto media grew to love the guy too, and I don’t think they’re any less crazy than Edmonton’s. I’m choosing to believe Eakins’ long-term plan for hearts and minds includes everyone. Even Godot.

13. Symbology says:

Is anyone else reminded of the Tom Runnells debacle of the 1992 Expos? During spring training Runnells showed up in Marine fatigues, breathing fire and vowing to whip the team into shape. But in the process, he completely and immediately lost the faith of his players, and ultimately lost his job.

To my mind, the media comments, the unconventional tactics and attitudes are Eakins’ “fatigues”. The “Everything everybody else knows is wrong” attitude is, when not backed up with results, ultimately fatal.

I’m not calling for Eakins to be fired–it’s way too early for that–but we need our Felipe Alou.

Vivre Nos Amours

14. Ice Sage says:

Hopefully, this quote goeth before Steve Smith’s pink slip.
    Why haven’t the Oil developed defensemen? They all regress under SS’ direction. Enough guilt-ridden patronage to this dude – Gretz handed him the cup already!

15. G Money says:

More of a reflection on the parents than on Edmonton. After a loss, I suspect my kids have some nasty words about Oiler players echoing in their ears too, but they know better than to say something as disrespectful as “you suck” to *any* adult without expecting Consequences (capital C).

Eakins may be a dick. Or his comment may be a frustrated follow up to one of his previous comments (observation more like) about the fact that most of the players on the team had not been coached in the defensive fundamentals of the game. Can’t argue with that one. And coaching them on those defensive fundamentals is not something that will ‘stick’ after just a month or two, it takes time to break old habits and instill new ones.

16. stevezie says:

Perhaps the most important part of Eakins’ profile wasn’t the testimonials, but the history:

“Things didn’t go well immediately. The Marlies purged a lengthy list of players – of the team’s four leading scorers from the previous year, three were sent away over the summer while the fourth (Jiri Tlusty) ended up playing less than 20 games for the team. The goal differential dropped from plus-11 down to minus-68. The team made strides the following season, refocusing with defense as the primary priority. The goal differential jumped to plus-9. This year, the Marlies are one of the best teams in the AHL, and the only team that has allowed fewer goals is the Oklahoma City Barons, and they’re one of just three teams to top the Barons in penalty-killing efficiency (87.5%, the best in the league). The Marlies led the AHL in PK efficiency in 2010-11.”

I’m going to make a crazy suggestion because I haven’t slept for a long, long time: Other than losing so much, most of what has happened so far is part of the plan. Eakins and MacT aren’t fighting for their jobs (yet); the goal was never to burn what fuel we could find to try and survive the night- they’re here to use the lumber and build a new house.

Sacrificing some early games to teach guys to penalty kill, to push some comfort zones, demonstrate weaknesses- perhaps even to teach some lauded talents humility? Eakins has experience taking to steps back in order to make three or five forward.

Pretty baseless theory, but I enjoy a good narrative.

17. Doomoil says:

He was pretty clearly talking about the forward d zone coverage to my ear.

18. stevezie says:

G Money,

No offence to any others without an avatar- it’s not that I’m happy to ignore you I’ve just noticed a lot of strong G Money lately.

(Bendelson- I prefer you the way you are, To me, you are perfect! Never change Bendelson! Vive the eternal Bjendelson!!!)

19. Clarkenstein says:

What Eakins really means is.. “when I took this job I was told we had some awesome players and with the addition of me this team was really going to be amazing! My bad. Management is the shits from the top down and I’m not as good as I thought I was”. Not sure why people still go to watch this bullshit year after year. About 6000 empty seats (even tho’ they’re paid for) might catch somebodys attention. But probably not.

20. Truth Movement says:

Ah, Once Upon A Time In America. Great flick, although I have it probably ranked fourth or fifth in the Leone canon.

21. Thiru says:

I don’t think he meant exactly what he said, but boy does that sound awful.

This is a guy who had a full summer + training camp to review tape from the previous year, identify flaws in systems play (see the wonderful work by Dellows), and implement some changes that would rectify those issues.

Instead, by his own admission, he essentially made those problems worse.

Which might be okay (it’s still early days), but how do you get your guys to buy into making the necessary adjustments after you’ve kicked their feet from underneath them?

Very odd timing.

Mac needs to sit him down and give him a vote of confidence, because our coach, as of right now, is really starting to feel the pressure.

22. FastOil says:

stevezie,

” I don’t know why more of you don’t get on the train”

Because these jerks and the Eskimos utterly dominated the world in my childhood. Unassailable, couldn’t lose unless they screwed the pooch. It taints a person’s view of the world. Two decades of losing hasn’t made the desire to win subside.

Thankfully blogs like this and hockey stats have made more sense of it all. The understanding lessens the pain and increases tolerance. I am not sure what will happen to me if they ever do win the Cup again – spontaneous human combustion, megalomania, time in an institution.

23. Thiru says:

Also, why is mc79 down right now?

Was TD hired by someone?

24. kooler says:

Whats the status of Rajala and Hartikainen contracts or lack of….is there a possibility of playing Oiler hockey again?

25. FastOil says:

There isn’t an excuse for not knowing what to do. For most of these guys, all they have ever really done is play hockey. Sutherby at ON says he has only played one D system. It isn’t that complicated. They aren’t being asked to learn a new play book like a football player has to. They are being paid like millionaires to play. Eakins is calling them on the attitude problem, which is what the problem is.

Sam Gagner knows how to perform defensive coverage. LT used to speak about his ‘big brain’. Even though he has contract security for a while (he doesn’t need to pad offense right now, which is human nature but still selfish and despicable to me), he just won’t. Yes it’s just one game back, but that was a spectacularly horrible game. One that the coach had a vested personal interest in. Not the game to make the coach look bad in, stupid. Beyond a few weeks off bad. Eakins made him wear it. And Yak. Time to grow up.

26. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Yesterday was one of the few days of the year where hockey is a second class citizen. Around here Hallowe’en is a lot of fun. We probably gave out 300 candies last night and all our pumpkins managed to survive the wrath of local teens.

Also, our Mayor made some interesting news yesterday. Out here in the Big Stupid, we are kind of preoccupied.

A couple of thoughts on the Oil over the last couple of days:

– The team’s extensive use of waivers and call ups continues to confuse me. At this point they occur so regularly, I’m given to think that we shouldn’t read too much into them.

– Omark is in tough. Part of me hopes to see another injury to force MacT’s hand.

– This Eakins interview isn’t very inspiring on all fronts: the team, his coaching, everything. He’s not making it easy on himself.

– I hope to see Fedun or Larsen come up. Probably the latter. I want to see him again after the preseason. I don’t want to see or hear anything about Klefbom until after the trade deadline. I want his name banished. I want him studiously working on his game and nothing else.

– Leone had a lot of trouble getting this picture edited and released the way he wanted. It’s interesting to look at the 3 “man with no name” flics and note how many different cuts there are of each (a lot of the differences are accounted for by language) and how different they are. It is interesting to ponder final cuts, international distribution/audience assumptions, young green director vs. established (albeit known for long-windedness) blockbuster director, etc. His career is very interesting from the perspective of all these non, or semi-artistic points of view.

27. kooler says:

stevezie,

Larsen has some point production and Fedun is throwing shots at net….no reason the D shouldn’t fight for their jobs as well. i’m sure they are hungry for NHL time.

28. G Money says:

stevezie: I enjoy your comments and wish you would get an avatar. I look to pictures more than names, with the exception of The Colonel.

FastOil: Sutherby at ON says he has only played one D system.

Sam Gagner knows how to perform defensive coverage.

In fairness – if a veteran like Sutherby says he’s only played one system, then isn’t it reasonable that changing systems isn’t something that players do a lot, and so they might find it tough?

That said, you’re right, a lot of it *is* attitude, and changing that might be difficult and in some cases impossible.

On Gagner – regardless of how easy or difficult changing systems is, I do expect the cerebral players like RNH, Eberle, and Gagner to pick up the new system faster than ‘flash and dash’ instinctual players like Hall and Yak.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

kooler:
    Whats the status ofRajala and Hartikainen contracts or lack of….is there a possibility of playing Oiler hockey again?

Hartikainen signed in the KHL after turning down a 2-way from the Oil. The Oil retained his NHL rights (like they did with Omark years ago). Here’s the details:

He’s been doing very well:

Rajala was given an unconditional buyout. The Oil maintain nothing. He is basically a complete free agent. Here’s the story:

He waited quite a while to finally come to terms on a deal, but signed with the SHL and is doing quite well also:

30. G Money says:

FastOil: I am not sure what will happen to me if they ever do win the Cup again

Just getting in the playoffs again will likely cause my head to explode.

31. SK Oiler Fan says:

Eakins is an odd duck. He has awkward moments when interviewed. It’s hard to tell if he’s being serious or trying to be funny. Well he’s not funny so he should just stop trying if he is and be Mr. Serious like his facial expression conveys.
    Bringing up the daughter thing is not accomplishing anything. I’m beginning to think he’s in over his head. Mac T should bring in a vet Assistant to rescue him
    The Oilers should just let MacT do all the talking. Even if the results aren’t there he seems to know what he’s talking about.

32. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I think it is actually in Omark’s best interest to stay down for at least a quarter of the season. If he is for real he will continue to put up points so the call-up (or out) will be inevitable. If he can’t sustain this then the NHL probably isn’t for him anyway.

If he gets called up with 25 games of solid production on his resume the coach might be more inclined to give him real opportunity and responsibility. If an injury forces him up after only 10 the thinking might be to just fill out the roster and hide the guy.

kooler,

I was right there with you last week but I’ve really liked N. Schultz’s last two games and would like to see him build on them. If guys are just getting called up to sit as the seventh… well I guess it is Fedun’s turn but I like the idea of them rotating the major league exposure/salary spot.

33. Doomoil says:

He brought up his daughter as an anecdote to the question of coaching in a high pressure environment. He also brought up the fact that people everywhere he goes give him tips and that he listens to every one.

It wasn’t:

“How is the powerplay moving along?”

“PEOPLE ARE SO MEAN TO MEEEEEEEE”

34. Doomoil says:

stevezie:

kooler,

Nultz has looked like a different player the last two games. Whether the stats back this up I haven’t checked, but by eye he’s been much more physical and hasn’t treated the puck like a grenade.

35. stevezie says:

Doomoil,

My friend is upgrading Eakins’ cable this week, We are debating if he should try to talk hockey with him, just talk not advise, or if that would just make buddy one more of “those guys”.

36. FastOil says:

G Money: Thanks man! Um … how do I set an avatar? I looked in the settings just now but I don’t see anywhere that I can upload such a thing.

Yes you could say that a change is hard because they have always done it a certain way. But hockey’s strategy isn’t complicated. Thing is Gagner has not played any system well since he’s been in the NHL. For whatever reason. He does have to do it however. Not doing it isn’t an option for a good player, in that if you don’t do it you’re not a good player. Talented maybe, good no.

I like your description of Hall and Yak. Exactly why Hall isn’t good at centre. He is a spontaneous player and the thinking side of being a centre isn’t how he plays. That being said, being responsible in play is not an option in my world.

37. Doomoil says:

stevezie,

Honestly from how he came off in the interview, Eakins is a dude that will make time for anyone that wants to talk some hockey.

Just you know, don’t loudly proclaim how awful he or the Oilers are and I’m sure it will be cool.

38. kooler says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Love the European jerseys, they advertise everything but Disney on there.

Makes sense to find a spot for Hartikainen next year? he seems like a 3rd/4th line guys that should produce. he would be a strong go to the net guy….JJ sees to have been inquired most of the time and power forward types always take a beating. isn’t this a good depth decision to make?

I gather Rajala is an Omark and that’s already a back log of small talented players. i don’t understand why Oil never tried for a trade or were there no takers?

39. LMHF#1 says:

Both Rajala and Hartikainen could be on this team right now (and yes, I know Rajala asked out). A lineup with Hartikainen and Joensuu would have given a lot of people what they were asking for. The thing is, management would rather make room for Ryan Jones, Ryan Hamilton, Mike Brown, Luke Gazdic, Steve MacIntyre, etc.

40. FastOil says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    Bringing up the daughter thing is not accomplishing anything.I’m beginning to think he’s in over his head. Mac T should bring in a vet Assistant to rescue him

The daughter thing is warning people off. I’d do it too. He can’t put the mouthy kid over his knee. His stone face thing comes across to me like he’s emulating Babcock. No nonsense, win the game is all that matters here. I don’t know if he’ll be good but I think he’s self confident to the degree that he’s not drowning. Which is why he keeps cool in the pressers. He doesn’t rattle easily.

I had mentioned before that I liked Eakins not speaking through the media to the players but I saw that wrong or he read it and decided to prove me wrong or something. We’ll see how that goes, not a fan of it.

41. OilClog says:

Is it just me or the suggestion of Teemu Hartikainan making a difference on this team.. The last crazy proclamation before we go crashing over the cliff..

42. kooler says:

stevezie,

Actually ok with NShutlz.

Fedun seems to be throwing shots at net, 2nd highest on OKC including forwards which means he’s giving opp for scrambles and tap ins….JShultz has only thrown 20 shots and that’s the most for the D (granted this is AHL ) but he’s pushing the chances closer to the net for guys like a Yak / Perron to tap in.

Just a thought but JShultz could use a push from behind. It is part of Eakins strategy to make guys earn their spots.

43. BrazilianOil says:

Hall back on ice !

44. Bad Seed says:

G Money,

Great avatar!

45. kooler says:

OilClog,

LMHF#1 listed Ryan Jones, Ryan Hamilton, Mike Brown (gone), Luke Gazdic, Steve MacIntyre….isn’t Hart an upgrade?

Ice Sage:
    Hopefully, this quote goeth before Steve Smith’s pink slip.
    Why haven’t the Oil developed defensemen?They all regress under SS’ direction.Enough guilt-riddenpatronage to this dude – Gretz handed him the cup already!

MacT (and Charlie Huddy) taught Ladislav Smid the basics of defense. Not Steve Smith. If Smid does not know traditional defensive coverage, it is MacT’s fault.

47. FastOil says:

OilClog:

I’m not sure about that either. Did I miss something when he was here? I like that he’s a Finn but that isn’t enough on it’s own to put him on the team is it?

48. russ99 says:

I’m going to take anything Eakins says in the press with a grain of salt. There’s no way he can win hearts and minds that way, only by what’s on the ice.

As for the whole changing the swarm defense due to the capabilities of guys on the roster I think he needs to do the same on offense.

We had primarily the same players last year to this year and players just don’t change the way they play without coaching trying to implement different things. We scored plenty of goals in open areas last year. Not so this year.

Just as we don’t have big shutdown defensemen that we can rely on in when the forwards miss a check in the swarm – we don’t have players that are suited for dump/cycle/throw a guy in front of the goalie and take tons of shots into traffic, praying for the rebound that won’t come and the guy in front can’t do anything with due to opponents being all over him.

Speed and skill is what we have. We should focus on quickly and accurately moving the puck to open areas i.e to get the same kinds of scoring chances we’re giving up to the Leafs, Pens, Caps, etc.

49. G Money says:

I didn’t listen to the original presser, but with more context from the quotes, nothing that Eakins said seems unreasonable, overly defensive, or was a matter of slamming players through the media. Taking quotes and Dave Staples’ interpretation selectively, but perhaps more completely (from http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/10/31/my-bad-edmonton-oilers-coach-dallas-eakins-admits-a-mistake-tries-to-correct-it/):

“We found we were giving up that prime scoring area in front of the net, so we tweaked it a little bit, and the chances we were getting scored on before have greatly decreased.”

Eakins says the coaches still want the players to “double up” in their zone when they can, but that’s not the focus.

First, Oilers players were too quick to attempt to double up. Before the first defender had effectively pinned the attacker, the second man would rush in, leaving open spaces in the middle of the ice. If the attacker shook free for a second, he could then pass to an open teammate in prime scoring position.

“The guys were too over-zealous with it and they were going too quickly,” Eakins said. “The deal with our d-zone play was that until you have somebody pasted, until we’ve deadened the play in the corner, we’re not doubling up.

He made an assumption that they did, he admits, but they did not.

“My bad,” he said. “I assumed that we knew what traditional d-zone coverage was and it was clear that we didn’t. So we took a slight step back from our double up system.”

The players now have a firm understanding of what traditional d-zone coverage is,

50. russ99 says:

OilClog,

Naw, same thing that MacT was saying this summer, Grit without any skill doesn’t help.

We need big guys who can play, not just big guys.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

kooler:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Love the European jerseys, they advertise everything but Disney on there.

The team was in a spot in the offseason with both players. Both had maxed out at the AHL level and were looking for a real one-way, NHL deal/$$. The fact that EURO leagues offer real alternatives to these players really changes the dynamic contract negotiation wise.

MacT hadn’t seen enough from either to offer more than a 2-way. He cut bait on both (retaining rights on Harti) and tried to fill their spots with other moves (Acton, Hamilton, Joensuu, Jones, Omark).

I think the team will regret walking from Harti (but I’m sweeter on him than some). I don’t know if he’ll come back and he’ll certain only come back for a one-way. IIRC he signed a two year deal in the K (but those deals often have oft-out clauses if you get an offer for NHL work).

Rajala probably never comes back. He watched Omark put up points everywhere and get stalled. I imagine after his year in the AHL, when he didn’t get offered NHL work he decided to go Europe. Unlike Omark, he doesn’t seem to have a dream of NHL work, or if he does, it isn’t as strong for him.

52. G Money says:

And:

“The message to our team over the last probably week is that I see our group so excited to score goals, like, boy, they love to score, but we need a group that is equally encouraged and excited to stop goals.

“Like the Boston Bruins, they are excited to keep pucks out of their net. They are excited about it. And we’ve go to get that into this group. and I’m not sure our group is quite wired like that, but eventually they’ll be wired like that.

“Because, in the end, with a group that can score most nights if we’re going to give up a mindless goal, that means we got to go score two now.”

53. G Money says:

Bad Seed:
    G Money,

Great avatar!

Thanks man! I’m going to try and dust off my photoshop skills and see if I can transplant Starman in front of the Oiler logo. I think this will quite accurately reflect how most of us feel about being Oiler fans right now!!

54. Andy P says:

Thiru:
    I don’t think he meant exactly what he said, but boy does that sound awful.

Instead, by his own admission, he essentially made those problems worse.

Very odd timing.

This coach, by necessity, spend the training camp and pre-season games selecting the best players to replace the 40% of the roster he and MacT let go. I think that he did a good job of that.
    It’s only now, when all that is settling down, that this is surfacing for him to deal with, as he will.

55. Hammers says:

As was said a few days ago the man comes of arrogant not smart . When a coach shows attitude they typically get carved up by the writers and public and then faith starts to slip away . Heard Ferraro say the good coaches talk about us and we not me and them or they . I really think McT gave Eakins , Acton & Hamilton but they both are AHL players and some of us are starting to wonder if that in fact is what Eakins is namely an AHL coach .

56. G Money says:

Hammers: When a coach shows attitude they typically get carved up by the writers and public and then faith starts to slip away .

After reading more detail about the entire interview, not a single aspect of his statements comes across as arrogant. He basically said the team was overzealous in its pursuit of the overload, and at the same time didn’t effectively cover the rest of the defensive zone (which they’ve now tweaked to avoid), and is excited about scoring goals, but not (yet) excited about stopping goals (which echoes what Ference said recently, and is an attitude change that will come with time).

Every last sentence true.

57. Bad Seed says:

G Money,

You are on the money about that analogy, G Money!

58. Brackenburied says:

Truth Movement:

Thank you!! I was struggling with today’s reference. I have that movie in the hopper waiting for a cold snowy night when everyone else in the house is otherwise occupied.

59. Brackenburied says:

stevezie:
    Eakins comes off as kind of a dick, but I believe it is calculated.

Wrong. You can’t calculate being a dick. This man is a dick and god love him for it. The team needs this coach and this city needs this coach. Eventually this team will be a real ‘dick’ to play against.

60. Brackenburied says:

stevezie:
    godot10,

Colonel Obvious,

Love Stevie Mac. Still perplexed about the signing though.

61. Lois Lowe says:

G Money,

I watched the interview and I don’t think he comes off as arrogant at all. I realize that the Godot’s of this world will claim that I am an Eakins apologist and they might be right. Culture change in an organization is not simple, easy, or linear. The Oilers haven’t played sound defensive hockey since MacT and it is going to take some of the kids time to figure out what they are being asked to do.

I loved the part where he basically called out every offensive player, saying that padding stats won’t help the team win (lest we forget the Vancouver game to end the season last year), and the players have to decide how they want to remembered in the NHL. With Gagner, Hall, Ebs, and Nuge signed for the immediate future I will take a dip in production if it means winning hockey. Same thing goes for Schultz the younger, though I think his poor defensive play may work in the organization’s favour come contract time.

62. Brackenburied says:

stevezie:
    G Money,

Fascinating. . So what you are saying is that you see the world differently than me! How can that be!! I will endeavor to get a picture thingy. Which means I will endeavor to get my kids to tell me how to get a picture thingy. Thanks

63. maxwell_mischief says:

Wanye… Kanye’s distant relative…

64. Brackenburied says:

Ice Sage:
    Hopefully, this quote goeth before Steve Smith’s pink slip.

I have wondered, wondered, wondered this for a long time. By the by though, loved Steve Smith as a player.

65. Andy P says:

Brackenburied,

This being the D that scored an own goal on his team……

The d results speak for themselves. At what point is he replaced with someone Eakins and MacT can have confidence in? Can we wait until the offseason for that?

66. DeadmanWaking says:

The reason I didn’t warm to Eakins back when he was hired is that his hardcore attitude toward imposing change typically results in an organization going backwards before it goes forwards. I thought maybe on the cushion of addition by subtraction over the off season, we might manage to survive the long road trip despite this. Losing Gagner shifted more of the burden of this small miracle onto Dubnyk’s sleep-deprived shoulders. We saw how that ended. Quadruple face palm.

MacT must have known when he hired Eakins that this is how Eakins rolls. Expecting Eakins to come in and pussy-foot around what the players were doing (ineffectively) last season was simply not in the cards. Incremental change is far slower than abrupt change, thought it does spare you the carnage in the early going. On the other hand, a slow descent in the standings all the way to xmas–staying safely within the known parameters that weren’t getting it done–and with the players not yet having a clear sense of the final destination would have put Eakins into an even worse bind owning the room.

If this mythical small tweak of the previous system actually exists, the best person to implement it would have been Krueger himself. Scapegloaters rarely take into account the true cost of the revolving trap door.

My lemon tree had a very rough week at work last week. She was in a snit in the kitchen over a minor mishap. I had no problem with that, but it was shading into self indulgence. Fine. I’ve damaged a pan or two in my day. For her, I’ve learned that these episodes piss in the pool. It’s not just five minutes of “Chip the glasses and crack the plates! That’s what Bilbo Baggins hates!” and out of her system. It goes straight to the kitten kelp root system and lingers for days. So I tried a redirect. I said, “You’re upset.” Not much response. I said, “Is it the situation at work?” BIG response. She took my remark as facetious.

I had a good sense of the a priori odds. But it’s not that simple. I also manage to get on her nerves from time to time. Imagine that? It’s never unreasonable to assume she’s a bone to pick within our relationship. Even if her office environment goes mushroom cloud, it could still be me.

I responded, “I’m way too invested in the use of direct questions to scupper the program by dabbling with the facetious.” Asking the obvious in the form of a direct question averts many debacles. In particular it helps to avert the deadly race-around loop where you’re each responding to what you think your partner is about to say next. You both get so deep into “I know where this is going” that you completely lose track of which angry word lead to the next one.

Whether a direct question is taken at face value or not is ultimately a cultural norm. In many marriages, the blame culture exists. All statements apportion blame. A person uses a statement only to pretend they aren’t manning the blame canon. But everyone knows the blame canon is always present. If that’s the culture you’re in, then a neutral statement or question amounts to a double fault: you still managed to apportion blame, and then you compounded it by hiding in the weeds. The fight is on!

In the cards-on-the-table culture, neutral questions are used to arrive at the conflict with everyone on the same page. Then the conflict or reconciliation can take place, as the situation warrants.

This approach is nearly impossible for people to get their heads around if they’ve grown up believing that conflict is failure; or worse, that conflict itself warrants blame. Now you’re in an argument, and there’s blame to apportion for that, too.

If you’ve reached the place where you understand that conflict is a normal, inevitable, healthy part of any serious relationship, then perhaps–on some occasions–people can suppress the blame reflex long enough to get their stories straight before the real conflict commences, which isn’t necessarily viewed as a misfortune or unwelcome headache.

The blame culture says: Eakins is supposed to know he’s living in a blame culture, so his words will be heard negatively. Yes, he could cater to the blame culture and mind his statements. But maybe he doesn’t wish to cater to the blame culture. Maybe he blames the blame culture for the mess we’re in.

I know with unshakable conviction that me and my lemon tree are far better off in the long run if statements are statements. I know equally well that I’m going to wear plenty of lemon pie until that conviction has proven its worth.

In any marriage there are culture gaps. Its easier to slide toward the lower standard. To move toward the higher standard, the person upholding the higher standard needs to be prepared to wear some pie. Trust is a slow process.

Usually the gaps go in both direction, so you both get some pie and no-one goes hungry.

For me, this is just Eakins being exactly the guy I thought MacT had bravely/imprudently hired to begin with. I had my reservations early, that milk is already spilled, and now I’m fine with how Eakins is handling the matter moving forward.

We’re pot committed again. Eakins is now the best person to fix Eakins’ mistakes, just as Krueger would have been the best person to fix Krueger’s mistakes, had we taken that path instead (supposing you believe that Krueger had figured his mistakes out; this is not something that’s come to light one way or the other).

Krueger was extremely insistent on not giving the players more than they could crew. He said it just makes the players crazy out on the ice if you try to teach them new systems all at once. Krueger was the worst possible person to bring in for just half a season. The players are just getting used to the slow and steady evolution when we bring in Mr Deep End to speed the process along.

In the long run, I think Mr Deep End has more potential to turn this ship around–if he survives long enough to get us there.

I don’t think MacT and Krueger were the best fit in their working styles. It was best he made this decision sooner rather than later. But I do think they both underestimated just how ugly it could get, and just how quickly.

Sometimes you get to that horrible place in a marriage where you can’t live without ‘em and you can’t live with ‘em–you’re deep into the wasteland of aimless wandering and there’s no clear path to the exit. When this happens, there’s always a smoldering blame canon off in the weeds. Thank you, Mr Blame Canon. The wasteland just isn’t the same without you.

We have a uber dubber blame canon that grows its nose like Pinocchio with every additional year we miss the playoffs. Unfortunately, it’s always the people with the fiercest grip on the past who find themselves wandering around in the vastest, most barren wastelands. There’s a common attitude among people fiercely gripped with the past that anyone else who isn’t likewise gripped is somehow shamefully dodging proper accountability. That’s why these cultures endure–whichever one you’ve got. There are self-reinforcing terms. It’s a real bitch to move from one to the other.

You can read that here on Lowetide almost every day.

67. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

A couple of thoughts on the Oil over the last couple of days:

Halloween was a very sad day around here. First day in 18 years without any of our kids around. And we had a grand total of 5 trick or treaters. I remember my Dad hammering boards across the gates because of the shit that was going to go down on Halloween. Different times.

68. Brackenburied says:

OilClog:

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Brackenburied: Halloween was a very sad day around here. First day in 18 years withoutany of our kids around. And we had a grand total of 5 trick or treaters. I remember my Dad hammering boards across the gates because of the shit that was going to go down on Halloween.Different times.

The funny thing is (and maybe this is a BC vs. Ont. thing), the kids never play with firecrackers anymore… I feel bad for them.

70. bookje says:

Oilers get some coverage in the USA today sports section!

This is why we can’t have nice things!

71. Colonel Obvious says:

stevezie:
    Doomoil,

You get him to tell Eakins to come on over and read him some lowetide, and that we’ve got his back.

72. Brackenburied says:

Andy P:
    Brackenburied,

This being the D that scored an own goal on his team……

I can see that goal like it just happened. No squint, no nothing. It’s just there. Still like him.

73. kooler says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Busy night in Vancouver, we cleared almost 5 big boxes of candy……firecrackers till 1:00 last night. half ot them adults.

74. theres oil in virginia says:

godot10: MacT (and Charlie Huddy) taught Ladislav Smid the basics of defense.Not Steve Smith.If Smid does not know traditional defensive coverage, it is MacT’s fault.

If Smid doesn’t know “traditional defensive coverage” by now, it’s his own damn fault.

75. Lois Lowe says:

76. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Brutal. Halloween without the trick or treaters is never any fun. A few years ago, when I lived in London (Ont), I was in a neighborhood that only got about 5-10 kids… it was pretty disheartening. I was convinced, parents didn’t let their kids go out anymore… but it was probably just the neighborhood. Here in Toronto we were bursting with kids.

I have given my kids a grand education in the arts of firecrackers. Their friends think I’m crazy.
    Question for you based on your picture thingy: in what movie did John Wayne growl at a preacher to “put an amen on it”?

77. Brackenburied says:

Lois Lowe:

Saskatchewan. Dad would fill the 1970s equivalent of Rubbermaid tubs with sand and we would have a rocket show in the backyard! Geez it was great when there weren’t as many rules.

78. Brackenburied says:

You know that whole ‘Mind Blow’ thing? Researchers have discovered that the genesis of this was actually the movie Angel Heart. I believe that years from now the unravelling will bring us back to the hiring of Dallas Eakins. MacT=Louis Cypher

79. sliderule says:

Bogdan with a couple of assists now has 5g6a 11pts in 22 games with around 10 minutes of ice per game.
    If he keeps this up and has a good WJC it will be interesting in how oil handle him.

80. justDOit says:

DE: “Don’t worry honey, that boy said a bad thing to me now, but when we start to win some games, he will forget those bad feelings. And when we become a winning team, he will act very differently – he might even want to be my son-in-law, or vote in favor of building a new arena to replace the old Oil Dome, or…”

Patients – er, patience.

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

kooler:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Lois Lowe:

Brackenburied:

And, The Searchers (1956, John Ford), of course. Here’s the scene:

Wayne’s other famous “black hat” western was “Red River” (1948, Howard Hawks).

Both are exceptional. Both reveal how terrifying Wayne could be when he turned that hulking frame into a pile of rage.

82. misfit says:

BrazilianOil: I still have hpoe ( only one? ) The schedule in November is easy ( at least should be easy for a good team ). If we can have 8 w, we are on the race again.

The sad part is, I felt like October was a weak spot in the schedule too. 10 games against the EC (with the Pens being the only quality among them) and the Jets were one of the 4 WC teams they played. Yes, they played 9 road games, but it was a very bad time of the year to have the injuries and goaltending they suffered through early.

With that said, I guess the silver lining is the game they do have left are mostly against the teams they’ll be fighting with for a playoff spot, but those teams with heavier WC schedules to date will also have more upcoming games against the Leafs, Devils, Sens, etc too.

83. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis: That’s what I thought it might be. Pretty much every kid in BC that I knew growing up played with firecrackers. Glad to hear the kids still play with them and the mommy bloggers haven’t gotten to them yet… I feel for the dogs though.

And, The Searchers (1956, John Ford), of course. Here’s the scene:

Wayne’s other famous “black hat” western was “Red River” (1948, Howard Hawks).

I bow down to your awesomeness. To me, one of the greatest utterances in moviedom.

84. G Money says:

Lois Lowe: The firecrackers is totally a BC thing. I’ve lived in TO and Alberta, now Vancouver, and I remember my first Halloween here wondering why there was so many explosions.

Is that a BC cultural thing or an availability thing?

Here in Cowtown, it seems easier to get crack than to get firecrackers. (Not that I’ve tried to get the former).

On the other hand, we have a cabin in the Kootenays and the small explosives practically line the streets. We’ve spent the last five years out there after Xmas, and my kids now expect a massive fireworks show every New Years Eve.

85. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money: Is that a BC cultural thing or an availability thing?

I would guess they bleed into one another, right?

86. prairieschooner says:

I have been thinking about the Eakins story about walking his daughter to school and some young kid chirping him and the more I think about it the more unrealistic it sounds
    Perhaps not human rake stories unrealistic but at the very least much ado about nothing other than a deflection tactic by the coach.
    We always assume the worst of our citizenry
    If it did happen was the kid laughing when he said it or was it an alcohol fueled rage You Suck!

87. Zipdot says:

And now, a poem.

Atop the lonely mountain
    Where eagles dare to fly
    The lonely Oiler takes a shot
    The puck goes high and wide

The hockey gods look down and laugh
    At oilers on the ice
    A couple goals, a couple saves
    Would certainly be nice

Alas, the Oilers will not win
    Ere ice doth turn to water.
    The oilers have been doomed to hell
    And led to hockey slaughter

88. FastOil says:

Zipdot:
    And now, a poem.

Atop the lonely mountain
    Where eagles dare to fly
    The lonely Oiler takes a shot
    The puck goes high and wide

The hockey gods look down and laugh
    At oilers on the ice
    A couple goals, a couple saves
    Would certainly be nice

Alas, the Oilers will not win
    Ere ice doth turn to water.
    The oilers have been doomed to hell
    And led to hockey slaughter

Are you ok, Zip?

Very funny.

89. bookje says:

Yeah, stupid nanny state and its massive reduction in the rate of serious childhood injuries over the past few decades!

90. Brackenburied says:

prairieschooner:
    We always assume the worst of our citizenry

I believe it is typical of all of us to craft a story based on an occurrence in life. That’s what makes us interesting. Just imagine if Matty only posted the transcript of a MacT presser instead of interjecting his thoughts and ideas. Boring right. I believe the point was that there was a slight to his daughter due to the fact he is the Oilers coach. He’s aware.

91. Brackenburied says:

bookje:

If that was directed to me because of my pining away for the no rules of my latter days; admonishment accepted. Glorious times they were but, as a parent now, quite frightening in hind sight.

92. Colonel Obvious says:

So Perron is injured, possible MRI scheduled. What do you think about that?

I know nothing other than what I just said, but I’m thinking about the punch to the head he took the other day, the whiplash of his neck, and his health history One day the NHL will get serious about eliminating head injuries. When people want it to end, it will end. Until then we’ll continue to see a series of petty suspensions that don’t make any difference.

93. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Brackenburied: Just imagine if Matty only posted the transcript of a MacT presser instead of interjecting his thoughts and ideas.

There’s more than one acceptable alternative.

1) Post the transcript and a second piece of commentary
    2) Simple editing. Write one piece but clearly indicate what is from the subject and what is your own.
    3) Annotated transcript. He could simply run the transcript and interject with his own comments clearly identified.

There is really no excuse for a journalist to be anything other than crystal clear about what they are reporting on.

94. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Colonel Obvious:
    So Perron is injured, possible MRI scheduled.What do you think about that?

I know nothing other than what I just said, but I’m thinking about the punch to the head he took the other day, the whiplash of his neck, and his health historyOne day the NHL will get serious about eliminating head injuries.When people want it to end, it will end.Until then we’ll continue to see a series of petty suspensions that don’t make any difference.

This is one of the failings of the current model: “injury suffered on the play”

Often really brutal incidents end up with nothing injured, just as minor incidents result in terrible injury. Or, as may have happened with Perron, injuries can take time to manifest.

If they simply enforced the rules this wouldn’t be a problem. Intent and injury should be irrelevant.

95. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

DeadmanWaking,

I come for LT’s insight, but I stay for your consistent brilliance.

96. FastOil says:

Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons:
    DeadmanWaking,

I come for LT’s insight, but I stay for your consistent brilliance.

I come because I was told there were free drinks. I can’t find the coupon section though.

97. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis: There’s more than one acceptable alternative.

1) Post the transcript and a second piece of commentary

Not to be flippant but the proper use and understanding of quotation marks should provide the clarity. I have long since learned that the retelling of any story whether it be journalist or the drunk on the bar stool beside me is an entertainment and opinion piece.

98. stevezie says:

I blame Rom for wishing an Omark-inducing injury. You spoke that evil into our lives.

99. Brackenburied says:

Colonel Obvious:
    So Perron is injured, possible MRI scheduled.What do you think about that?

You know there was also that sneaky hit he threw in the LA game. He went down hard as well.

100. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie:

Has someone been injured today?

I also wish for Kate Upton.

101. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Brackenburied: Not to be flippantbut the proper use and understanding of quotation marks should provide the clarity.I have long since learned that the retelling of any story whether it be journalist or the drunk on the bar stool beside me is an entertainment and opinion piece.

If you and I have a long conversation and I boil the essence of your argument down to a pithy paragraph, that is good journalism as long as I haven’t misrepresented you or blurred the lines by adding my own commentary in a confusing manner.

The issue with Matty is that he is far too comfortable with his own opinions and far too cosy with his subjects.

102. Brackenburied says:

The problem with getting Kate Upton is the drinks won’t be free anymore.

103. Jordan says:

Lois Lowe,

I love listening to Eakins’ press conferences. He’s really well put together. He’s insightful, direct, tactful, and precise.

I really question anyone who’s calling him out about any one thing he says. Nothing he says is only ever a snipette – it’s all part of a longer, larger idea that he’s bringing forwards to the team and saying “This is important. This is why it’s important for us to win. Here’s how we’re going to implement it.” So, wrt the D-coverage thing… it sure looks like something that’s been taken out of context – a lot like the Lars Eller comment was.

Dallas Eakins is not what is wrong with this team. What’s wrong with this team is it’s top 9 forwards have an average age of 25, with the top 6 being less than 23.

They are young.

They lack experience.

They are inconsistent.

They injure often.

So, with that much of an experience deficit… how do you win now?

Well, you don’t. But you teach, and you build for the future.

The biggest mistake this year was MacTavish & Eakins not managing fans’ expectations. Both set the expectations to win now. But this team isn’t just too small to win – it’s too young.

Their time will come. But not today. Expecting otherwise is… well rather silly.

104. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Yes. But journalists like Matty also paraphrase the sentiments of their subjects.

But I don’t believe you and I(me?) or anyone could have a conversation without inducing or applying some form of influence or bias to what the actual facts are. So when it is understood that someone’s writings or telling of a story is entertainment and opinion then your expectations are widened. If you need to really know what happened, read the transcript. But then you will need to account for your own mood and interpretation skills. For instance “Pass the meat” may make some hungry but others may giggle. I’m now rambling.

Colonel Obvious:
    So Perron is injured, possible MRI scheduled.What do you think about that?

I think that in a few days it will be Tambellini that made the trade! -).

106. bendelson says:

stevezie,

Sarcasm? Nah. Not Stevezie.

I could place an avatar but then everyone would know who Bendelson is…

Then the kids start getting picked on at school….
    I’ll start hearing “Fuck you Bendelson” while in line at the supermarket.
    No, I think I will remain an unknown entity on this site.

Of course, I could keep my anonymity by posting a Bill Murray picture as an avatar instead…

Keep up the great work Stevenzee – I would vote you one of the most underated contributors to this site.

107. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I meant the Perron news.

bendelson,

Bendelson, you day-making sonuvagun.

108. Colonel Obvious says:

godot10,

Alright, that was a good line.

109. Logan91 says:

Keaton Ellerby placed on waivers by the Kings today.

110. stevezie says:

Logan91,

Do we need another marginal Dman? I liked him in his draft year but I don’t see how he is an upgrade of Marc Fistric.

111. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Brackenburied: But I don’t believe you and I(me?) or anyone could have a conversation without inducing or applying some form of influence or bias to what the actual facts are. So when it is understood that someone’s writings or telling of a story is entertainment and opinion then your expectations are widened. If you need to really know what happened, read the transcript. But then you will need to account for your own mood and interpretation skills.For instance “Pass the meat” may make some hungry but others may giggle. I’m now rambling.

Acknowledging that, however, is a far cry from suggesting journalists shouldn’t make the minimum effort it takes to accurately represent the views of their subjects and separate those views from their own.

112. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie: I meant the Perron news.

Ahh… but Perron’s injury predates my comment. If they didn’t bring Omark up when Perron was sidelined before, why would they now?

We’ll need (gasp) another injury to get Omark in the roster.

113. Romulus Apotheosis says:

In case anyone missed it:

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers
    #Oilers recall d-man Philip Larsen (@PLarsen36) from @OKCBarons. pic.twitter.com/vckSAkBRg

114. Doomoil says:

Right on. I hope he gets some game time.

Looked really good in the preseason.

115. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Yes but didn’t the update as to the severity of the injury come after your comment, or did I just miss it earlier?
    If Perron is out for any length of time it changes things. For while Lander might be the more appropriate to sub in on the fourth, he is fairly wasted in the Perron role, non?
    I haven’t looked at the roster recently. With all the injuries and recoveries there’s a good chance I don’t know what I’m talking about right now. Trying to write a paper on The Diviners and Fifth business in another window.

Oilers LW depth chart:

Jones
    Eager
    Gazdic

Jesus wept.

117. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I haven’t looked at the roster recently. With all the injuries and recoveries there’s a good chance I don’t know what I’m talking about right now. Trying to write a paper onThe Diviners and Fifth business in another window.

Could be it came after… but I don’t think they opt for Omark unless a least another roster player goes down.

Speaking of jinxing things, Smid calls out Gazzola:

Good luck on the Can-Lit!

118. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

For once, not alone.

119. art vandelay says:

Eakins won’t have to worry about his kid hearing nasty words from other Edmontonians because he’ll be fired soon.
    Let’s face it. The guy is way out of his depth.

120. Colonel Obvious says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    In case anyone missed it:

Edmonton Oilers✔ @EdmontonOilers

Good. I like Larsen a lot. But then I value skating and puck handling highly and may not consider size enough. Though decision making trumps everything and I can’t evaluate him on that score.

Larsen is a great skater. If he’s also a good decision maker he can absolutely play in the NHL, which means he can also play on the Oilers.

121. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy:
    Oilers LW depth chart:

Jones
    Eager
    Gazdic

Jesus wept.

It’s a shame that there aren’t any offensive minded left wingers down in OKC.

122. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I don’t think anyone expects some bias free, direct injection of a subject’s thought… we are social beings and everything we do is socially mediated.

123. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Brackenburied: Not what I was suggesting at all. I guess I was just taken by how you had interpreted that article completely differently than me (I?).

If you read him recently, he’s been going on and on about looking for a nasty, bottom pairing D.

Now… this is possible, but it seems inexplicable and reads a lot more like projection than anything else. MacT signed every bottom pairing D he could find and had in house options in Fistric and Peckham to choose from if this was what he was after.

Reading his most recent column, I see a lot of him waxing poetic about Willie Mitchell pasting the opposition and very little about MacT doing the same. Remove Matty’s “context” and just read MacT’s quotes you get a completely different story, one which has very little to do with adding “nastiness” to the lineup. Sure, it’s there in response to repeated questioning, but it is muted, affixed to a caveat or two and not the driving force.

If the Oilers take what’s his doodle out of LA (Ellerby), I expect a four-page item from Matheson. He must be breathless right now.

125. art vandelay says:

Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V takes just as much energy for a one-line item as it does for a four-pager. So it probably won’t tax him that greatly.

126. Gerta Rauss says:

kooler:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

1 AM in Squamish as well. There was less munitions deployed during the fall of Saigon.

art vandelay:

Ha! Nicely done.

re: firecrackers. I was born in Mission and moved to the interior about 8 years old, and until we moved to SK firecrackers were pretty much available anywhere in BC. We lived in 93 Mile House and Burns Lake in the year before we moved to SK, and that year (this would be 1970 or so) they became harder to get.

Kids would carry a pack (36? 48?) in their back jeans pocket and someone was severely injured when they were lit on fire (without their knowledge).

Anyway, that’s the reason given for their not being as readily available that summer. I loved them, if I close my eyes I can still remember the smell of firecrackers and how you could scare the hell out of people..

129. nycoil says:

Once Upon a Time in Edmonton, there was a precocious group of young men wh, despite some early hiccups, went on to do marvelous things in the face of intense scrutiny. Now we have another group of young men. How will this tale unfold? I like your line of thinking, LT. I am often on Washington Street in Brooklyn, taking that exact photo of the Empire State Building framed by the Manhattan Bridge.