RED WINGS AT OILERS G15, 13-14

Honestly, I’m glad to be rid of the October nights, they were lovely for sky watching and long walks but the hockey was miserable, like a summer cold or losing a friend. Good riddance to bad rubbish!

ma2

I think Coburn may eventually be in play based on the insanity in Philly; I think a goalie may shake loose in Ottawa sooner than later (they’re horrible); The Flyers also have an assortment of PF candidates, from young Tye McGinn to the failing Scott Hartnell (he looks done) and of course Ray Emery.

That Jake Allen kid OKC played last night is the real item. He’s not going anywhere, but he’d be perfect fit. I wonder if St. Louis makes a play for Hemsky nearer the deadline?

ma3It’s important not to get overly excited about the 2013 draft crop, they’re brand new and should be doing well in their respective leagues. It is interesting to note that so many of them have been posting solid numbers compared to their own past.

• Darnell Nurse (14, 3-11-14) is a point per game player after 41 points in 68 OHL games one year ago. He’s getting PP minutes this year and his boxcars should be outstanding at year’s end. I had him as the #1 prospect in the summer, he’s certainly not going backwards.
  • Marco Roy (1, 1-3-4) finally got into game action last night and had an immediate (and enormous) impact. I’m thrilled he’s back, this is a fun player to track because offensively he’s easily the best forward in the system. I had him #4 in the summer, we’ll see where he ranks on this year’s list (which will begin later in the month).
  • Bogdan Yakimov (22, 5-5-10) is posting exceptional numbers in his first KHL season and if he can continue to be an offensive contributor throughout the year one wonders what the club does with him this summer. I suspect he’ll stay the full two seasons in Russia, but his size/position/skill make him an attractive option. I had him #8 in summer, he’ll move up on the winter list.
  • Anton Slepyshev (15, 1-1-2) after going 11, 4-2-6 at the same level (KHL) one year ago. I’ve heard good things about him but the boxcars aren’t there, and his shots per game are down from 2.4 to 1.1 year over year (and he’s playing 2.5 minutes less per game). It’s early, but he’ll no doubt drop from #7 (I had him there in summer).
  • Jackson Houck (18, 8-5-13) started off poorly but has improved a great deal in the last 10 days. He’s off from a year ago (69, 23-34-57) but only by a couple of points. He should post some big time numbers, but his WHL team (Vancouver) isn’t good; Houck already leads his team in goals. I had him #13 in summer, not sure where he’ll land this time.
  • Kyle Platzer (15, 4-4-8) got off to a terrific start (4, 4-2-6) and then all the high numbers returned from their NHL teams and he’s buried again. The most impressive thing about him might be his performance in Penticton and early camp, where he looked like he belonged alongside true skill. I had him #20 in summer, would guess he’ll move up a little next time.
  • Aidan Muir (10, 3-3-6) has 20pims and 22 shots, he has only one assist on the PP so those are even strength numbers for the most part. 6.03, 195, fascinating prospect, he is exactly a ‘draft and follow’ and is so far worth following. I did not rank him in summer, we’ll see about him this month.
  • Evan Campbell (5, 0-0-0) Impossible really to read much into nothing, he does have three shots on goal. Campbell is not a young prospect (turned 20 in March) so time is of the essence. Was not ranked in summer, will not be ranked in winter unless there’s some crooked numbers on the way.
  • Ben Betker (15, 1-2-3) has had a nice start to the season, and we know a little more about him now. He’s a big man (6.05, 200) with impressive footspeed, and that’s a winning combination for a defenseman. We’ll be tracking him forever, but there might be a player here.
  • Greg Chase (16, 13-9-22) is an amazing story early this season. I liked him plenty (ranked him #19 in summer) but what he’s doing is beyond what anyone could have projected. He’s 4th in goals and just outside the top 10 in total points. 4-2-6 on the PP, meaning he’s getting good minutes for the first time and taking advantage. Sign this guy.

ma4

The Red Wings are death to the Oil, has been such for a long long time. But, you know, this team has to turn north at some point and have been burning daylight from opening night. I remain convinced this 14 game prologue does not define, or represent, the whole. The lessons learned in youth define and sustain. They’re down, they’re injured, they’re broken.

Start as you mean to go.

I don’t have lines, don’t have pairings. They don’t matter. The Oilers tonight (and Tuesday, and Thursday) need to dig deep and the blender is likely to be out early and often. Sweet Jesus this team needs a Pisani, but they’re going to have to make do with what they have. The man child Nugent-Hopkins may have to lead them all.

Ladies, it’s time to cheer like hell. The sun is climbing, the night is gone, the dark is fading and I’m all alone, so close to home.

491 Responses to "RED WINGS AT OILERS G15, 13-14"

Newer Comments »

DET is starting Petr Mrazek tonight.

He posted a .916 in the AHL last year, but is off to a rough start this year with .891 in 5 games.

This is his first NHL game this year. Nice soft landing for the kid.

DET is also on the second of a back to back and playing their 3rd game in 4 days.

Usually NHL teams are about .250 when playing 2nd of B2B and 3in4, but don’t bet on it tonight Because Oilers.

They won in VAN (Wed) and CAL (Fri) so if the Oilers jump out to a lead and they feel tired they might mail it in for the rest of the game.

Hahahahahahhahhahahahahaha.

Seriously, this game sets up well for the Oilers with DET being tired and rookie who’s been shaky in net, but the Oilers might not have the horses to take advantage of it.

Saw something interesting on the TSN injuries page:

Steve MacIntyre 2013-09-28 on injured reserve knee
    Corey Potter 2013-09-30 on injured reserve strained back
    Ryan Hamilton 2013-10-08 on injured reserve knee
    Jesse Joensuu 2013-10-15 on injured reserve strained back
    Ryan Smyth 2013-10-20 will miss at least 1-2 weeks strained groin
    Taylor Hall 2013-10-20 on injured reserve and will miss at least one month sprained left knee
    Tyler Pitlick 2013-10-30 questionable for Saturday’s game against Detroit sprained left knee
    Devan Dubnyk 2013-10-30 questionable for Saturday’s game against Detroit sprained ankle
    David Perron 2013-11-01 questionable for Saturday’s game against Detroit neck/illness
    Justin Schultz 2013-11-01 questionable for Saturday’s game against Detroit undisclosed

They have Pitlick listed as “questionable” for tonight’s game.

Does that mean he’s close?

I haven’t heard that he’s even skated yet.

Anyone with any info on that?

2. justDOit says:

This has all the makings of an ugly meeting, but then again the Wings play a more honest game than most teams, and maybe the Oil rise to the occasion. I’ll be happy if the game isn’t decided in any 10 minute stretch.

May I suggest this as a good distraction, if required, for tonight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZk39ifLTlQ

Live ZZ from back in the day – a great blues/rock performance. When they get to the ‘Mellow Down Easy’ part of the medley, just imagine that they’re saying ‘Gotta double down…’.

That must be a case of not being updated on Pitlick. Actually, his being available would (imo) be a pretty nice add, because the 3line looks like the 4line in some places without him. For the love of everything good, WHY is Hartikainen in Stalingrad?

4. rocket says:

Very unfortunately and sadly, the kids (including Gagner) have never learnt how to play defensive hockey at the NHL level. GAA is a team stat in reality. Even though they have been in the league for 3+ years. Only when they learn how to, then things will turnaround. If they don’t, it won’t. At the end of the year or sooner MacT must determine if the current roster is capable of learning to play defensive hockey and, if the answer is no, then he must ship out some players, including some of the highly touted kids…

. For the love of everything good, WHY is Hartikainen in Stalingrad?

40gp 3g 5a 8pts and wanted a one way deal.

6. corykg says:

Detroit have dominated the Oil for most of my fandom but I have that ’06 series to look back on for warm fuzzy feelings.

7. 719 says:

Thanks Woodguy for posting that. Wow 8 guys who have played on the NHL roster this season injured (Potter has been sent down). 6 (Hall, Smyth, J. Schultz, Perron, Dubnyk, Jonesuu) of whom were penciled in as starters when the season began. I doubt any team has the kind of depth to overcome that.

I just want to see the Oilers’ get better over the next 70 games. I don’t think playoffs are realistic, but I would really like to see an improvement in the team, greater commitment to defense and better decisions without the puck.

Also, please do not trade away the 1st round pick unless it is protected (like the Islanders did).

8. iHockeyWpg says:

Did the Oilers give an injury update on Tyler Pitlick.? I’m hoping its just a thigh bruise as contact looked to be above the knee. Thanks y’all….

Woodguy:
    . For the love of everything good, WHY is Hartikainen in Stalingrad?

40gp 3g 5a 8pts and wanted a one way deal.

10. 719 says:

Might Patrick Kaleta look good on our 4th line? Appears he is done in Buffalo. Seems like a decent player when he stays away from the stupid stuff.

719:
    Might Patrick Kaleta look good on our 4th line?Appears he is done in Buffalo.Seems like a decent player when he stays away from the stupid stuff.

12. 719 says:

Lowetide: No. No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

I will take that as a no.

Lowetide: His final 74 AHL games? 21-35-56. He was progressing, he’s a big body and he worked at getting better. Oilers gave up on him too soon, I’d say.

I agree with you.

I’m a Harski fan.

Joensuu’s NHL numbers weren’t that much different, but did score a 1pt/gm in the SM-Liiga last year with big PIMS.

Maybe MacT wanted more nasty?

I know Harski was royally pissed about being a HS for a number of games late in the year after Tambellini’s signature move of trading for Smithson.

14. Nuckout says:

It’s beyond redundant at this point, but I think we’ll see something like:

RNH-Arco-Ebs
    Gags-Yak-Hemsky
    Gordon-Jones-Lander
    Acton-Gazdic-Eager

1st Line- I can’t remember how Arco fared on the wing last game, but I think having both him and RNH may do something to wake Eberle from his October-long nap. Ebs needs to start scoring to help this team win games. 2 witch doctor passers, and a pair of sick hands? What could go wrong? Ugh.

2nd Line- I’m worried about this new Russian kid. He’s played hockey before, right? Glass jaw Gags needs to pot a couple tonight to get back to form… please, Hockey Lords, for the love of John Candy, don’t let Samwise get hurt tonight.

3rd Line- I love Boyd Gordon. How could anyone not like him? Jones needs to keep up his “desperation” play, as Eakins so eloquently put it. Hit everything that moves. Even the puck. I really want to like Jones AND his hair. Lander? He’s -4 in OKC so far this year. He’ll fit right in.

4th Line- We need a little bit of insanity out of Gazdic, but in a good way. He needs to be that guy who, you know, hits and punches things. Maybe draw a penalty or two. And maybe mixes it up in the slot.

Oilers website is not listing Jultz on the injured list. In a full roster world, I think he needs to sit a game or two up top and get a new perspective. Tonight, however, his presence is required. I really hope Dallas finds a way to reach Justin. A foot properly placed in backside would do it.

Ferknuckle needs to step up. He’s our new captain, I hear?

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I fell in love with Mira Sorvino at 16 when I first saw Mighty Aphrodite. There was some kind of worlds convergence as I had just discovered the horror and intrigue that is Greek Tragedy around the same time. Woody’s use of the Chorus was really eye-opening as a narrative device to this 16 year old.

At any rate, I distinctly recall her taking up a lot of my thoughts at that time (I won’t belabor the point… family site and all). I also distinctly recall her pushing her way through a decidedly weak field to take the crown that year:

It was an odd and bittersweet feeling. Sure, she was gorgeous and played her role well… but even my bias could recognize this was not a performance to anoint for the ages as peerless.

Gervais found a way to let Winslet relieve her frustration on losing:

Though, I hardly found her turn in Sense and Sensibility that year ‘one for the ages’ either. Sometimes you draw a bum crowd and you are the “tops” in the Metropolitan division.

16. stevezie says:

I have a question for people who know more about junior than me: Is Greg chase normal? I know it is important to to get too excited about older players’ scoring, but is a player getting picked that late and then ripping up the league a common occurrence? Am I over stating his season so far?

17. Gerta Rauss says:

justDOit:

While driving back to the coast a couple years ago after the annual visit to the family in Edmonton it dawned on me that ZZ Top is the best driving music bar none. Tres Hombres, Best of…it didn’t matter…I let the MP3 player on ZZ Top from Jasper to Abbotsford and let it roll.

I hope it’s still a game past the 1st period tonight.

18. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

No, but Emma Thompson in the same movie was. Arguably the best break down and cry ever (I know acting “up” is easier than acting still, but all the same).

19. stevezie says:

Woodguy: I know Harski was royally pissed

He can be as pissed as he wants to be but his play opened that door.

20. FastOil says:

Nuckout,

Sadly with how poorly JS has been playing he is absolutely not required. He is a liability. He needs to think about what Eakins said, how he wants to be remembered as an NHL player, MAB or Leetch?

With his wheels and skill he could be a great one. Offense alone doesn’t do it in the NHL, never did, even for Gretzky’s Oilers.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“The sun is climbing, the night is gone, the dark is fading and I’m all alone, so close to home.”

I’m thinking we’re more along the lines of “I’m tryin’ to get home” and “home” is a place where aborted projects find their resting place. This season is a dirge:

stevezie:

Romulus Apotheosis:

24. Nuckout says:

FastOil,

If I were Eakins, I would give him one game to pull it together. He needs to be read the riot act, big time. I can see the conversation between Eakins and Schultz going something like:

“Justin, I noticed you’re hiding your bong inside Smytty’s extra pair of gloves on the bench. I’ve warned you about that last game. I’m going to introduce you to something called “speed”. I think it will really help your game.”

Oiler pass on Ellerby. I heart MacT

26. justDOit says:

Oiler pass on Ellerby. I heart MacT

But now Kaleta is on waivers. Gadzooks, Eager and Kaleta on the 4th line, with SMac to bump Gadzooks up to the 3rd when he returns from injury! KLowe knows a little something about winning.

I hope the 50 contract limit has been met already.

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Steve MacIntyre 2013-09-28 on injured reserve knee
    Corey Potter 2013-09-30 on injured reserve strained back
    Ryan Hamilton 2013-10-08 on injured reserve knee
    Jesse Joensuu 2013-10-15 on injured reserve strained back
    Ryan Smyth 2013-10-20 will miss at least 1-2 weeks strained groin

And not a single shoulder injury!

We are finally branching out!

28. FastOil says:

Nuckout:
    FastOil,

Judging by how erratic JS is I think he might have found Eakins’ stash already. Maybe Eakins can show him that the puck is supposed to stay out of one net and goes into the other. Baby steps.

29. Ice Sage says:

Am I bored or does Eakins look like ol’ Woody sans specs? That hapless “I look better standing next to talent” vibe brings it home.
    Will he be calling Taylor Hall “Annie”?

Tonight is one of those games where everything looks so bleak that, just somehow, against all odds, the Oilers… nah, it’ll turn out as always.

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:

The whole second side of “Fandango” is good. “Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings” and “Heard it on the X” being my favorites… “Mexican Blackbird” always makes me cringe though.

31. stevezie says:

Another line brawl last night. Schenn can really throw ‘em, and the smile on Emery’s face is disconcerting.

32. stevezie says:

Nuckout,

True story: I am on speed right now. Well, a legal, prescribed form. I can’t see it helping decision making, or accuracy.

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

There is a great scene in “The Zero Effect” where Bill Pullman pulls this off really well in a monologue, can’t find it on the youtubes.

34. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

You obviously haven’t heard ‘Francine’, from one of their earlier albums then.

Still, anything from Eliminator on forwards, makes me cringe much worse. Transistor amps and sequencer tracks may have made them extremely rich, but…

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: No. He’s acting like he’s Bobby Clarke. If he does this for the next 18 months the Oilers are going to pay through the nose to sign him.

Nice problem to have, no doubt.

36. geowal says:

justDOit,

Is Gadzooks a real person or are you just saying “Gadzooks!”? Seriously.

37. geowal says:

About to make the trip up QEII for the bi-annual in-person game. Usually am pleasantly surprised, (was at the Chicago 9-2 game). Going in with the lowest expectations I can ever remember so nowhere to go but up

38. hags9k says:

LT, do you have some saw him good moments to share about Chase? That’s a couple Bobby Clarke references now and I haven’t seen any Hitmen (*ptooey*) games. What has you saying this I wonder…

39. justDOit says:

geowal,

It’s funner to say Gadzooks, than google the spelling for Gazdic.

Romulus Apotheosis: Is that really possible? I mean the way the ELC’s are structured… or are you worried having another ELC loaded up with bonuses will eff with the cap?

Nice problem to have, no doubt.

He was one of the last guys off the board, expect the Oilers would like to mail him a basic deal. But he’s going to want bonus clauses if he keeps this up–unless that’s changed in the cba (cue speeds).

41. Nuckout says:

stevezie,

Maybe a swift kick in the ass, a threat of a healthy scratch, and a can of monster. Somehow Eakins has to find the right recipe for Justin.

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Oh Christ. Let’s wait past Christmas. I do have a nice version of the stunning national anthem of Israel at the ready, so mapping out the season is going to be interesting.

Yea… but it’s a beautiful piece of modern jazz composition and the word “home” is in the album’s title… so I took the liberty of wallowing…

Here’s some more upbeat and hopeful pieces from Donald Byrd, years later in his Larry Mizell (jazz/funk producer/composer) period:

43. geowal says:

justDOit,

Ah of course. I’ve only heard a less family friendly nickname for him, so Gazdic never occurred to me

44. hags9k says:

justDOit:
    geowal,

It’s funner to say Gadzooks, than google the spelling for Gazdic.

Agreed! Sounds better yelled at the TV too.

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie:
    Nuckout,

Trying to lose weight or stay up?

I remember girls taking speed(ish) things in high school to keep slim… girls are crazy.

stevezie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfDIxu7fWo8

You’ll notice the Flyers got pounded in that game and lost Downie and Lecavs to injury… all the evidence you need to see how deplorable this game can be sometimes.

That ref who didn’t intervene and waved Latta off should be fired, yesterday.

46. justDOit says:

hags9k: Agreed! Sounds better yelled at the TV too.

That’s what I found out, after he scored his first (and probably last) goal of the season.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit: You obviously haven’t heard ‘Francine’, from one of their earlier albums then.

The cringiness of the lyrics on that one are matched by the bland rock guitar driving the song.

It’s like they wrote a really boring song and had two boring verses of lyrics written and then tacked on a highly objectionable line and presto! a hit!

48. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: And not a single shoulder injury!

We are finally branching out!

Dare I say … Bold!

FastOil:
    Sadly with how poorly JS has been playing he is absolutely not required.

As Eakins said, JSchultz is probably the poster child for a guy who needs to want to keep the puck out of his net as badly as he wants to score.

Sitting him for an evening and getting a look at Larsen instead would be a good thing, methinks.

49. hags9k says:

justDOit,

Oh yeah that’s cool too, I just usually yell it with venom in my voice when the play dies on his stick! Let’s hope he pots a few more though!

50. G Money says:

Remember early in the season when the Oilers started pretty well, but then fell off a cliff? At the time, the thought was it was because of a flu bug going around the room. Vancouver game I believe it was …

I may have found the reason why the Oilers have been what they’ve been since then. Blame the cough syrup. http://i.imgur.com/bOLSd89.jpg

It would explain a lot.

Howie Meeker, at 90, has some interesting things to say about the game.

Have to say I agree with a lot of it.

Want to get rid of marginal NHLers? Roster of 17 baby!

Also,

Meeker lives in Parksville, so DeeEssEff is a neighbour.

Somehow that’s just right.

@edmontonoilers’s tweets:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 27m
    #Oilers lines at morning skate –> Jones-RNH-Eberle, Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky, Lander/Hamilton-Gordon-Arcobello, Gazdic-Acton-Eager

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 24m
    Perron, Hall, Smyth, Joensuu and MacIntyre all participating in morning skate as well. J-Schultz (groin/ribs) only player absent.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 23m
    With J-Schultz not skating this morning, #Oilers defence pairings are Smid-Petry, Ference-NSchultz and Belov-Larsen.

53. FastOil says:

G Money,

That’s for sure. I have confidence Eakins will get him under control. I think he is getting a chance to settle in, new coach and new demands, but I am pretty sure he’ll get HS’d if the shenanigans don’t abate.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m
    Ryan Hamilton makes his return to the #Oilers lineup tonight playing on the wing with Gordon and Arcobello.

Looks like Lander is scratched.

55. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Well I don’t think that one was a hit, but I agree. ZZ made some great music back in the day, but they weren’t all great songs. As a guitar player myself, I can relate a little more to them, because Gibbons was the master of cool, and didn’t need a thousand notes to make a guitar solo interesting.

Update on #57′s status –> RT @Bob_Stauffer Perron is on IR retroactive to last Sunday eligible for Florida on Tuesday.

WG: Meeker is great, I love that guy.

In regard to Ryan Hamilton, the concern is footspeed. I’m glad he’s going to get a chance.

58. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Back when I “studied” (quotes for personal ridicule and failure) acting a coach told me that crying is the easy way out and it is much harder and more powerful for the audience to show constrained torment.

Couldn’t agree more. One of my favourite Hollywood quotes of all time is William Goldman swearing to never again vote for anyone playing “drunks, cripples or retards” to win an Oscar. Easiest parts in the world.”Look at me, ma! I’m acting!”
    He argued that the Oscar worthy performance in Rain Man came from Tom Cruise, not Hoffman.
    If you love the movies and have never read a Goldman book you are wasting your life.
    That said, as far as “breaking down and crying” scenes go, Emma Thompson is Sense and Sensibility has one of the top three. (My other two? I’ll warn you, they’re non-conventional… Uma Thurman in Kill Bill when she wakes up and realises her baby is gone, Uma deserved an Oscar for that movie, and–even less obvious–Julia Stiles in 10 Things I Hate About You! When she read her dumb little teenager poem about a handsome boy and out loud in class and started crying? I bought that! I bought the hell out of it! Nailed it! Honourable mention goes to Jim Carrey in Dumb & Dumber for that noise he makes while flopping onto the couch after getting robbed by a sweet little old lady in a motorized cart. Technically I saw no tears, but I felt it. We all felt it)
    ——–
    So, hockey! Yeah, I have no idea, none!, why that linesman waived the guy away from saving Holtby. Emery was beating the everloving shit out of him with a psychotic grin on his face. He should have been waiving guys in.

I think there are arguments to be made in defence of fighting, but I don’t think any of them are quantifiably(sic) connected to winning or not getting injured.

Fighting is on its way out and I am fine with that, but I’d just be lying if I said I didn’t find line brawls interesting.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m
    Bachman will make his third straight start for the #Oilers, look for Dubnyk to return during road trip. LaBarbera back-up tonight.

DD said he was ready to go.

Obviously giving SB a chance to win the backup role and maybe put a little heat on DD.

Bachman starts, LaBarbara Streisand backup.

61. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m

DD said he was ready to go.

62. Pouzar says:

Again I would like to thank Lowetide and the posters here. So nice to read intelligent, well thought out posts instead of the hyperbolic, over reactive drivel I read at another site that shall remain nameless.
    Safe to say my temper got the best of me and I am now banned. Trying to fit a village of idiots can suck the soul out of a man. Safe to say I am done.

Cheers All!

63. russ99 says:

At home vs. Detroit against a rookie backup goalie? I like our chances.

A lot of our losses this year followed a roadmap of tons of shots (in traffic) towards quality goaltending that can handle those types of shots.

I’d prefer changes on offense to reduce the cycle and get the puck in clearer ice for quality shots in the o-zone, but beggars can’t be choosers.

As for the Kaleta thingy, only the Oilers brass who thought fighters were more important than NHL players would be dumb enough to bite on that.

64. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

Great article.

65. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy,

Meeker did a signing at a hockey card show in Vic when I was like 8. It’s the only piece of Leafs memorabilia that I have (a pennant that he signed). Nice guy. My dad had to explain who he was.

Glad to see Larsen. I have no problem seeing Hamilton, but I’d prefer him to draw in for Eager or Gazdic than Lander. Maybe that will be the case. I won’t hold my breathe.

justDOit,

I love a good guitar riff… Jimmy Page was the best IMO at a straight-forward rock riff, but they were interesting. A lot of Gibbons’ are too… but that one is just plain tired.

stevezie:
    Woodguy,

Great article.

I love that he wants blocking shots to be a penalty.

Howie gets it.

7-5 games are much more fun than 2-1.

67. justDOit says:

stevezie:
    Woodguy,

Great article.

“…farting against thunder.”

Pure gold.

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m

DD said he was ready to go.

So, it’s duel of the 3rd stringers! interesting storyline.

Game rosters should be:

10 forwards (3 lines plus a spare)
    6 Dmen (3 pairs)
    2 Goalies

18 for the game and 20 for the active roster.

Cut out 3 roster spots per team and the worst 90 NHL players are gone and the level of play goes up significantly.

No room to carry a meathead when you only have 10 spots on F too.

Don’t change the current cap arrangement, just pay each player on the roster more.

Romulus Apotheosis: So, it’s duel of the 3rd stringers! interesting storyline.

Hope its a scoring fest.

Gonna have to watch it on the PVR.

Mother in law coming over to watch the girl while I take my wife out and our reservation is for 8pm.

71. Romulus Apotheosis says:

russ99: But all bringing in the current dirtiest player in the league would prove is that the idea of improving “team toughness” by bringing in goons is a myth.

According to Matty:

The Oilers went hard after free-agent winger Matt Cooke last summer, but he opted to sign in Minnesota (maybe they thought $2.5 million as a cap hit over three years was too high for a 35-year-old). They also wanted feisty Matt Hendricks and Eric Nystrom, who signed with the Predators.

Hard to tell with him what is projection and what isn’t… but that paragraph (if true and it probably is), is very disheartening. I don’t think Fedun would like to see Nystrom up with the club while sitting down in OKC. I wouldn’t either.

More in the file from Matty’s man-crushes (continuing an earlier conversation):

Mainly, you need a team-tough back-end as the Boston Bruins had when Ference was there. Personally, I think the Oilers will miss local boy Mark Fistric, who joined the Anaheim Ducks. The perfect hitter/sandpaper guy who wouldn’t cost the moon if Oilers could get him: Penguins Darryl Engelland, who is also from Edmonton.

It warms my heart to see Meeker getting love. He’s always been this smart, but no one asks him anymore. Read his book. He’s wonderful.

73. russ99 says:

Woodguy,

I really think you’re on to something here. NHLPA would loathe 3 missing jobs but if all the players get paid more, the actual CBA voters would probably go for it.

Love the article. I agree with Howie, there’s something missing now from the hockey I grew up with. Hockey now comparatively is like hockey played in molasses.

74. justDOit says:

Woodguy,

While I agree on that, I doubt that the PA wants to get rid of any jobs by reducing roster sizes. They seem ok with some members trying to inflict early retirement on others though.

75. justDOit says:

Woodguy:

…watch it on the PVR… Mother in law coming over…

I’ve seen (lived) this episode – for Gord’s sake, TAKE THE BATTERIES OUT OF THE PVR REMOTE!

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: Hope its a scoring fest.

Gonna have to watch it on the PVR.

I’ve got a “Day of the Dead” party to go to tonight… but I’ll probably cut bait early to try and catch the last two periods…

Enjoy “date night”!

“Listen, do yourself a favor. Don’t let them give you any of that flank steak bullshit. try the London Broil, pamper yourself!”

77. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

I don’t know why we don’t see more teams doing what Eakins is doing- rarely using their fourth line. A good fourth line is great if you have one but if you don’t, why not play… let’s just say your top line for twenty minutes and your 2nd and 3rd for 18 each? Is my maths off or does that mean your worst players only get four each?

Everyone is always talking about how exponentially better conditioning is than in the old days but we still see top guys getting the same minutes they got in 1987. Why? Thanks to television there are multiple free time outs.

Mitigate your weaknesses. Mitigate them! I agree with (and miss) Dellow- a bad fourth line really shouldn’t make or break your season.

*I know special teams affects this. It also makes sense to me to stash specialists like Omark or Petrell on the 4th and only deploy them on special teams. Both those guys are NHLers when on their proper side of special teams. Which is why I don’t think Omark ends up breaking with the Oil, I (despite the mounting evidence) don’t think we require a PP specialist.

78. justDOit says:

Eakins’ pregame presser: http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=474600

Waa waa waa (Justin – stop with the bad pinches)!

79. Young Oil says:

This injury situation is getting out of hand…this is the first I have ever heard of a team having its top 4 LW’s injured (Hall, Perron, Joensuu, Smyth), let alone having 4 of the next 6 LW’s (R. Hamilton, Smac, Omark and C. Hamilton) injured as well…the hockey gods must not be pleased with the Oilers.

80. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Oh yeah, and for staying/waking up. I’m blade thin already.

81. TheOtherJohn says:

Heard that the Finns wanted to assist the German 6th Army (von Paulus) and Hoth’s 4th Panzer army at Stalingrad. Finn’s still pissed off at result of Winter war. Hartikanen asked to stick it to as many Soviets at Stalingrad. May help his compete level

82. DeadmanWaking says:

My posture over the keyboard–where I can get away with it–is to seek risk, with a “Here’s Johnny!” side serving of “the more, the merrier”. If one risk is good, two risks are better. Thus from time to time I find myself cooking on four rings, like I did with my meanderthal pastiche concerning the MoaDG.

At that level of risk heaped upon risk upon risk heaped upon risk, the level of verbal invention and sustained resourcefulness required to pull off even a third-rate result is no less than stupefying. Seriously, I wrote myself into a hypoglycemic dizzy spell. I was near to black spots hovering in front of my eyes by the time I grafted in “go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person”. By the last paragraph the lunar lander co-pilot was screaming in my ear “I don’t care if there’s a rock! Set it down, we’re burning fumes!”

It’s pretty much a fixed rule that I sit, I write, I post. No intermission. No Zamboni. If I’m going to skate toward risk–and then double down–then double down again–it simply has to be that way: skin in the game. My present self can’t be negotiating with my future self to come back later and clean up my mess because I bit off more than I could chew–even with all my telescopic mandibles at maximal extension.

There it is. In my own little way, I visit the quadrant of “tilt the ice or die trying”. Need I even say that you’ll never catch me lumping Taylor Hall in with “the kids” sadly uneducated in defensive fundamentals?

Hall is a thoroughbred. Thoroughbreds are a separate beast. Lindros and Forsberg were both thoroughbreds, and they both struggled to hone the subtle art of when to back off and when to press. There are precious few who can pressure an experienced defensemen all the way to “no answer possible” when the chips are down. Taylor could potentially become that guy.

RNH seems to be progressing just fine in all aspects of his game by anyone’s standards (can’t wait until he can reliably win a face-off).

Eberle’s chance deltas are nothing to be ashamed about, even if he gives up more than he should.

Gagner should be further along than he is defensively. That said, his contractual incentives encouraged his half-rink playing style, and it’s hard to fault a guy for knowing how his bread is buttered. Now that the butter is on the other side of his bread, let’s hope he’s a quick study. To my mind it’s a coin flip. He might even ace the role given his full attention as he moves into the physical wheelhouse of his career on a 400 game foundation (is that whacked, or what?)

Yakupov and S. Jr. were both projects in the making long before they arrived here. Neither has 80 games of NHL hockey to their credit yet. A quick check gives me 60 and 62. Not even a full rookie season. Justin shattered the sundial on the offensive side of the rink. He’s got a lot on his plate just to maintain and fine tune his responsibilities in the offensive zone–unless you believe no sophomore has ever regressed painfully in a discipline where at first he excelled.

Furthermore, I think Krueger was realistic in how much real coaching he could accomplish over a compressed 48-game season. It wasn’t just half a season, it was a half season with a very tight shirt collar. Both these players faced ample challenge last season simply adjusting to the physical demands of the NHL schedule–on top of their extended prologue confronting life in the professional ranks.

I see nothing wrong with Smid or Petry that a proper 1D wouldn’t fix in a heartbeat. Hemmer is Hemmer. He’s beyond ink, so let’s not add more.

Is our fourth line “failing to do the little things” in their five minutes a night, or do they simply lack necessary skills?

While I understand there’s a great temptation to try to unify the narrative, I just don’t think the glass slipper fits the boot.

I suspect some rebuilds are like a snake molting its skin: there’s already a new skin underneath, tender and waiting to harden. In this rebuild we were flayed all the way down to pink and pus. Healing from scratch takes time.

“The water was as clear as anything and I thought if I could get in there and bathe it would ease the pain in my leg. but the lion told me I must undress first. Mind you, I don’t know if he said any words out loud or not.

I was just going to say that I couldn’t undress because I hadn’t any clothes on when I suddenly thought that dragons are snaky sort of things and snakes can cast their skins. Oh, of course, thought I, that’s what the lion means. So I started scratching myself and my scales began coming off all over the place. And then I scratched a little deeper and, instead of just scales coming off here and there, my whole skin started peeling off beautifully, like it does after an illness, or as if I was a banana. In a minute or two I just stepped out of it. I could see it lying there beside me, looking rather nasty. It was a most lovely feeling. So I started to go down into the well for my bathe.

But just as I was going to put my feet into the water I looked down and saw that they were all hard and rough and wrinkled and scaly just as they had been before. Oh, that’s all right, said I, it only means I had another smaller suit on underneath the first one, and I’ll have to get out of it too. So I scratched and tore again and this underskin peeled off beautifully and out I stepped and left it lying beside the other one and went down to the well for my bathe.

Well, exactly the same thing happened again. And I thought to myself, oh dear, how ever many skins have I got to take off? For I was longing to bathe my leg. So I scratched away for the third time and got off a third skin, just like the two others, and stepped out of it. But as soon as I looked at myself in the water I knew it had been no good.

The the lion said–but I don’t know if it spoke–’You will have to let me undress you.’ I was afraid of his claws, I can tell you, but I was pretty nearly desperate now. So I just lay flat down on my back to let him do it.

The very first tear he made was do deep that I thought it had gone right into my heart. And when he began pulling the skin off, it hurt worse than anything I’ve ever felt. The only thing that made me able to bear it was just the pleasure of feeling the stuff peel off. You know–if you’ve ever picked the scab of a sore place. It hurts like billy–oh but it is such fun to see it coming away.

Apparently C. S. Lewis didn’t believe in churning through coaches, either.

Only the lion can save us tonight.

83. TheOtherJohn says:

Romulus Apotheosis: And not a single shoulder injury!

We are finally branching out!

Classic!!

DMW is strikingly brilliant today. And, as always, correct.

85. TheOtherJohn says:

WG: Meeker is great, I love that guy.

No problems LT while on the IR Hamilton did a refresher at the Alex Plante?David Musil school for advanced powerskating

Bryan Campbell played a couple of years in the AHL, and then a couple of more with James Patrick on the 3rd pairing in Buffalo, before he became anything.

Bryan Rafalski had 4 years in Europe.

Jake Gardiner is still a 3rd pairing defensemen in Toronto.

Justin Schulttz was forced to play a 2nd pairing or 2nd toughest minutes role as a rookie, and is pretty much doing the same this year as a D who has played less than one full season in the NHL.

Justin Schultz is a stud. People’s expectations are all effing haywire.

87. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Woodguy:
    Howie Meeker, at 90, has some interesting things to say about the game.

Have to say I agree with a lot of it.

Want to get rid of marginal NHLers?Roster of 17 baby!

Also,

Meeker lives in Parksville, so DeeEssEff is a neighbour.

Somehow that’s just right.

Yes, yes he does and I run into him from time to time.

There is a very large number of retired broadcasters here, many that LT would be very familiar with including Matt Hawkins, Al Shaver, Noreen the Receptionist, Donna The Creepy Security Guard and of course Howie Meeker who has been rid hard and put away wet.

88. jp says:

Woodguy:
    @edmontonoilers’s tweets:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 27m

Jones on a top line really bothers me. More than anything else I’ve heard today.

russ99:
    At home vs. Detroit against a rookie backup goalie? I like our chances.

Already mentioned, but the home team is starting their 3rd string G…

89. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Babcock has been running Datsyuk-Zetterburg-Bertuzzi power vs. power.

I wonder who Eakins plans to counter with?

Yikes.

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Looks like the Jets are giving Matty reason to cry.

91. Young Oil says:

I know this is a small issue, but for Yakimov’s point total, despite what the KHL website says, I believe he has 5 goals and 6 assists on the season…I am certain he was 21, 5-4-9 as of two days ago, and yesterday he got two assists (http://text.khl.ru/en/38090.html), so I’m not totally sure why it says he only has 10 points…

92. FastOil says:

stevezie:
    Woodguy,

Not having a playable 4th is a problem in the playoffs. Also 3rd pairing. Fatigue sets in. Chara wasn’t Chara last year at the end for example. And injuries. A team needs to be built and be positioned for a deep playoff run, it’s the point of it all.

Eakins fitness weirdness I am not a fan of. Burn out is a well known training problem. It isn’t about what kind of shape a player is in. He gets a pass (grudgingly) on not knowing his team didn’t understand what to do with his system, and the season is blown as partly due to this. One pass only, the team and I don’t have anymore time to waste.

Eakins shouldn’t try to reinvent the wheel here. It isn’t necessary.

93. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This is being re-tweeted around:

Chemmy ‏@felixpotvin 44m
    Sharks asst coach “we’re 28th or 29th in finished hits. We don’t have to be as physical: we always have the puck.”

Sincere thanks for that DSF. Beautiful memories, wonderful wonderful people.

95. iHockeyWpg says:

Keaton Ellerby claimed by Jets off waivers. Former 1st Round draft pick. Foot speed is an issue. Joey MacDonald placed on waivers as per Bob MacKenzie.

Had no idea there was an afternoon game! Hawks-Jets, there should by a Bobby Hull-Stan Mikita-Jonathan Toews story.

97. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Grebeshkov, Ellerby, Doughty, Teubert, Forbort.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Grebeshkov, Ellerby, Doughty, Teubert, Forbort.

Name former members of Poco?

99. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Sincere thanks for that DSF. Beautiful memories, wonderful wonderful people.

Sincere thanks for that DSF. Beautiful memories, wonderful wonderful people.

No problem.

Others I have run across here:

Bernie Pascall

Bruce Bedford (CFRN tech)

Guy Slavik (CFRN HR)

Jim Roberts (CFRN)

Jackie Rollins (CBC CKUA)

100. fifthcartel says:

Part of me believes the Oilers will claim Kaleta and give him Eager’s spot. We’ve heard them comment on Eager before, and recently Stauffer was talking about how Eager isn’t really getting it and playing the way he could be. It wouldn’t surprise be to see them try Kaleta.

Dead Cat Bounce:
    No problem.

Others I have run across here:

Bernie Pascall

Bruce Bedford (CFRN tech)

Guy Slavik (CFRN HR)

Jim Roberts (CFRN)

Jackie Rollins (CBC CKUA)

Bruce and his wife Maureen are two of my favorite people. My son’s first Christmas eve we spent at their house. It was awesome, family, food, booze, and about 20 Mom’s who spoiled the boy. :-)

102. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Name former members of Poco?

Who are five people that have never been in my kitchen?

1. Gagner-Hemsky have had chem in the past
    2. Gagner is the one center that seems to be able to play with the Russian effectively

Their own zone coverage may be an issue–I still don’t know what happened with 89-83 a year ago–but with the puck that should be a fine trio.

104. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lowetide: Name former members of Poco?

Name the expendable defensemen when you have a #1 stud?

105. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Grebeshkov, Ellerby, Doughty, Teubert, Forbort.

Not all 1st round defenders are alike, or am I Barkering up the wrong tree?

106. Ice Sage says:

Dead Cat Bounce,

Would love it if LA ‘expended’ DOughty to Oilers.

And, LT, I’m not worried about Gags-Hemm-Yak defensive zone coverage – they won’t make it back in time!!!!!

107. G Money says:

Lowetide: Reading the twitter, I see everyone is up in arms about Gagner centering Yakupov and Hemsky.

Lots could go right and lots could go wrong.

Right:
    - Gagner and Yak have had chemistry in the past.
    - In theory, Hemsky and Yak (playmaker/dangler and sniper) should have chemistry.
    - Hemsky is back closer to his historic plus Corsi levels (4th on the team and just shy of breakeven, partly but not fully recovered from the cliff of last year)

Wrong:
    - The best you could say is not one of them is strong defensively. At worst … yikes.
    - Hemsky and Gagner both need the puck to make things happen. There is only one puck.
    - Yak on the wrong side is going to make it harder for him to break out of his funk.

On balance, I would prefer a different combo.

But missing 6 of their 8 left wingers, it’s not like the team has all that much flexibility.

Marco Roy back at it this afternoon, an assist in the 1st period. Now 2, 1-4-5.

bookje: Well that is a bit of a reach, its far more likley that the Oilers are taking their usual precautious approach with regards to not rushing injured players back into the game and giving them time to heal.

While your version wins the plausibility contest, mine is more fun.

DeadmanWaking,

Well put.

MacT’s additions are going to help a lot (Gordon, Perron, Belov) but there’s still the new car smell on a lot of these guys and they’ve been driven 4 different ways in 4 different years.

Perhaps by Christmas the scabs from the flaying are falling off and the new flesh is emerging much more formed than the last.

I hope.

111. Andy P says:

Woodguy: While your version wins the plausibility contest, mine is more fun.

112. Andy P says:

Woodguy:
    DeadmanWaking,

Well put.

I hope.

Woodguy,
    What do you think of the estimate that it will take ~30 games for the team, new hires and coach to start consistently winning games, assuming we stop this ridiculous parade of injuries?

Andy P: With the playoffs increasingly out of reach this year isn’t there every reason to take a conservative approach towards injuries?

I think they should always be somewhat conservative and have the long term in mind.

Andy P: Woodguy,

No idea.

If they players decide to work hard and do what the coach is asking you never know.

Assuming healthy bodies.

115. jp says:

Maybe, but a couple of things:

1) I would be absolutely amazed if either of Eakins or MacT have given up on the playoffs as a goal for this season. So that likely isn’t a consideration.

2) Dubnyk is UFA in 9 month. An overly cautious approach for a 21 year old who’s signed for the next 7 years seems more likely than for a guy who’s seeming less and less likely to be on the team next season. Hopefully (and presumably) this isn’t their mindset re: Dubnyk, but there are certainly others on the team they might be more cautious with than him.

Ankles heal very slowly and are prone to re-injury. I suspect another game for Dubnyk is a combination of letting him heal properly and wanting to see more of Bachman.

116. dangilitis says:

“Start as you mean to go.”

This article, and a similar one by a writer at Jets Nation beginning in the year, explain why the Oilers’ currently employed system is supposed to generate more puck possession and ultimately more chances (e.g. Corsi), but that it can lead to better quality scoring chances going the other way. This is, in addition to luck and bad goaltending, may be why the early improvements in Corsi are not translating into wins.

And that is why LT’s comment could not make any more sense. If MacT and Eakins want a puck possession team, the players have to learn it this season, and continue taking the lumps until it is done right. There may well be more games where the shot clock favours the Oilers but a few breakdowns cost them the game, and the breakdowns must be eliminated, no question. The way I see it, the season is already over, but if they abandon this system now, then the season is lost and nothing will have been gained from this atrocious month.

“I’ve been thinking lately about the draft day rumors Edmonton was involved in (Cory Schneider, Braydon Coburn) and the free agent that got away (Dave Clarkson); those three names would fit nicely on the current team (although the club would be way over the cap) so as things roll along this winter that’s probably a good shopping list for the team.”

Agreed. About Cory, however, it wouldn’t have been the money that would have irked me…. I know its early, but his NJD numbers are not in the ballpark of his Vcr numbers. I don’t believe he is enough of an upgrade on Dubnyk to have justified losing a 1st round prospect like Nurse, who is one of our only shots at a top 2 Dman without giving the moon and the stars via trade. Could Marincin or Klefbom be that top 2 guy to pair with Petry? Maybe, but Nurse to me represents a value greater than Schneider. Teams get smart/lucky with picking up free goalies up all the time (Giguere?), and as we have seen here, goalies fall in and out of favour at a drop of a hat and that often presents a GM with a chance to land a goalie at a bargain basement price (e.g. Bobrovsky, Anderson). Top pairing D-men? Not so much. Same goes for 2-way centres (Monahan would have been a great add). Dubnyk could continue to prove me right or regress once again, but I favour the former.

117. Pouzar says:

dangilitis,

Great post. I agree with all that especially RE: Nurse.

Perron to IR. Le sigh.

119. thepeetso says:

dangilitis:
    “Start as you mean to go.”

There is truth in the old adage “calm seas don’t make good sailors” and I think Ealkins is of this belief, that is why we don’t see the coddling and protecting of players like we did under Krueger. They’ll learn the lessons and buy into the system and by the end of the year we will see a team that wins more than it loses (provided we have some healthy bodies) and we will have real actual hope for next year.

Not the “pour syrup on sh*t and call it pancakes” variety of hope we’ve been fed the last several years.

120. bookje says:

Hey, Oiler fan. Hey! Yes, you, I am talking to you. You’re the one reading this right now, who else would I be talking to.

I just wanted to let you know something.

That thought you are having about this game, that little thought in your head that is telling you “The Oilers don’t have a hope in hell of winning this game, so they are probably going to win it”. Well, I just wanted to let you know that this thought is stupid. It comes from your insular cortex, the part of your brain that links you emotionally to the Oilers in a way that overrides your rationality (i.e. the smart functions of your brain). It is your ‘stupid fan brain’ talking to you.

With that said, please enjoy the thought. You can’t get rid of it. Even though I just explained it to you, its still there – kind of making you smirk a little. It’s mostly harmless, though it does set you up for disappointment later this evening, but that’s not a big deal. You are now pretty conditioned to disappointment.

In any case, I just wanted to warn you just in case you were planning to bet $100 or something like that on the Oilers winning. Save your money and buy yourself something nice with it. You deserve a treat for putting up with this team.

121. justDOit says:

bookje,

Skip the Proline and go for the good scotch. Check.

Ha! Honestly, I love this blog. Everyone’s my best friend or a complete ass, depending on the day. :-)

123. Nuckout says:

wow, Meeker lives in Parksville? that would put him about a period and a half away from me. I would love to buy the man a coffee and ask to pick his big hockey brain for an hour.

Nuckout:

God. Me too.

125. Jon K says:

I was going through prospect stats and I happened to notice that John McCarron, the Oilers 6th round pick in 2012, was made the captain for Cornell this year as a junior and has 7 points in 3 games (3-1-6-7). He’s also managed to keep his PIMs down so far which is apparently one of his issues. Along the way I found some interesting local articles about him and being made captain.

The articles seemed to suggest he could see an increase in production this year along with a more prominent role. So far seems to be the case, though Cornell seems to be scoring well as a whole in the small sample size of three games. His appointment as captain and his comments about getting his degree in finance suggest that he’s going to go the full four years and also isn’t a dummy.

Didn’t think much of the pick when it was made but it’s getting interesting.

126. Nuckout says:

Lowetide: God. Me too.

Alas, I am not the stalker type, and the thought of tracking down a 90 year old man who probably wants to be left the hell alone doesn’t exactly sit well with me.

127. justDOit says:

Man the videos of Bure on the pre-gamer really show just how much better he was than most other players back then.

I’m hoping that this gives Kessel inspiration for another big night. Oh Pleeze?

128. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Nuckout: The sad part is, I have run into various celebrities on this Island,( I almost got stepped on by Diana Krall and Elvis Costello while I was at a playground playing in the sand with the little one-they were there with theirs) but the thought of being able to converse with a Canadian hockey legend gets me slightly giddy over anyone else.

Actually, he enjoys the attention.

He lives 3 blocks away from me and I run into him often.

Nice guy and very approachable.

Pamela Anderson also lives in the area (Ladysmith) and is often seen in Nanaimo.

Bure was unreal.

Everyone looking like there were standing still when he hit top speed in about 2 strides.

Had a different skating style too. Said he was taught to skate without picking up his skate blades so he generated power differently than just a push stride. (forgive me if I’m not using a proper skating term, my knowledge is pretty thin in that regard)

Also,

Had to cancel dinner reservations as Grandma/babysitter didn’t want to drive in the snow back to Beaumont late at night. Don’t blame here.

Time to go get some beer for the game….

130. justDOit says:

Woodguy:

Time to go get some beer for the game….

Don’t do, WG!

Bure for me was Cournoyer again, except he broke down more often. Wonderful players.

132. justDOit says:

Not Lafleur?

justDOit:

Not Lafleur?

Lafleur was a completely different player.

134. VanOil says:

Thanks WG for posting the Howie Meeker article. He is still the finest hockey mind I have ever heard. A Canadian legend deserving of our highest honors and respect.

I was shocked to read he was only 5’9″ he is such a giant in my eyes. I remember meeting him in a elevator in a Calgary hotel once when I was a kid traveling with my dad on a business trip. My dad introduced us Meeker had some kind words and shook my hand. I don’t remember what he said I was too in awe of his voice, I wish he had a side line reading talking books I would have bought all of them his voice was as great as Peter Ustinov’s but instead of artsy and worldly it was hockey and Canada distilled.

What I do remember was his hands. He had giant mitts that would make Russel Wilson proud, plus being a hockey guy those knuckles were the size of golf balls. In my idealized memory there was a cup ring on one of the finger but I don’t know if this was true.

Anyways, I hate the Leafs and always will. I love hockey no matter how many times or how severally the Oilers break my heart. But above all this Howie Meeker stands as a hero fought for our country, ruler our national game as a player, coach, manager and its greatest ever commentator. At 90 he is still all that. If I ever make it to being an old man, he is the old man I will be telling stories of.

135. G Money says:

Nuckout:

Just make sure you stay off his lawn.

On a less flippant note – I learned a ton about hockey strategy from Meeker’s little analysis segments. Don’t seem to get that level of television analysis now…

We’re going to need a live feed. If you’re in Canada, it’s HNIC at CBC

137. VanOil says:

Bure was not Lafleur but could Yakupov be Bure?

For me probably not Yak is too tough too driven and too exposed. But had Yak made his NHL debut at 21 instead of 19 could you have imagined the shock and awe it would have had. When Yak is 21 I hope he is an Oiler and I hope we appreciate how great he is.

G Money: Just make sure you stay off his lawn.

VanOil:

Bure was not Lafleur but could Yakupov be Bure?

Yakupov is going to have a great career. The thing about Yakupov is that goals are going to be scored on the road where no one knows it’s in. He’s that stealth. The shot is insane.

140. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Lowetide: Me too. I so enjoyed the way he would do it step by step. Ron God love him tries but Howie was an actual coach and he was thorough. He would go over a drill, go over it again, give praise at the end. Fuck I miss that generation.

There’s a great book there Alan.

Get on it before it’s too late.

141. Racki says:

Lander has been sent back to OKC.

I’m hoping the next call up is Omark. I’m about as far as it usually gets for a backer of Omark, but I want to see once and for all if he has the makings of an NHLer. Reports from OKC are he’s been an improved player.. let’s find out already.

142. bookje says:

Racki:
    Lander has been sent back to OKC.

I thought he was injured

143. striatic says:

Racki:
    Lander has been sent back to OKC.

I’m curious as well.

Many of his issues in TC looked like they may have been due to poor conditioning over the summer. Never seen Omark look that sluggish before.

Maybe he’s played his way into shape.

Or maybe the pace of the AHL has allowed him to be productive despite no being so speedy any more.

144. striatic says:

bookje: I thought he was injured

he played through it, and is playing again tonight.

Kassian with the Cookeian sneaky skate to slash Bolland’s Achilles, perhaps.

Kassian’s List
    1) Careless stick, broken jaw, check.
    2) Careles skate, slashed Achilles, check.

I think these guys know exactly what they are doing.

146. VanOil says:

Despite being an Oiler fan living in Vancouver, for all of the sins of Canucks fans I can forgive them delaying the start of the Oilers game on HNIC honoring Bure. When Leafs do it because they are just sad selfish losers I get mad.

Because she normally on the Habs broadcasts, out west we don’t get to see Cassie Campbell enough. She is a fine hockey mind with a playing resume that puts most of the boys to shame. CBC should give her Heatly’s job today. The network would be instantly better.

p.s. I kind of like PK’s jacket tonight, it is modern with out being idiotic. (notice how PC I am being mentioning the boy’s wardrobe not the girls, don’t worry sexist comments on Ice Girls will resume)

147. justDOit says:

Lowetide: Lafleur was a completely different player.

I just thought that Bure’s skating style was a little closer to Guy’s, than to Cournoyer. I didn’t see them play very much as a kid, because my Dad’s hatred of the Habs was immense. To this day, the only team he hates more is the Oilers. He’s 84 now, so I have to give him that.

Dead Cat Bounce:
    There’s a great book there Alan.

Get on it before it’s too late.

GREAT idea.

149. VanOil says:

Dead Cat Bounce:
    There’s a great book there Alan.

Get on it before it’s too late.

Mr. Mitchell DSF is wrong as usual. You do not need to write a book, you have already written one. Just find a young person/fan and a editor (DMW) to dig though your prolific work and pull out your greatest hits across all sites and platforms and organize it with some sort of narrative.

Better yet wait and see if one of your kids ever develop the urge to put that sort of effort/inclination into your life long passion. Your Old Timey stuff honoring the greats like Gzowski, Meeker et al is great. Not only are you standing on the shoulders of giants but providing a link to the past. Chapter interludes or openings by DMW would add an artistic element that no other hockey book could match.

150. Nuckout says:

G Money: Just make sure you stay off his lawn.

You sure don’t. You also don’t have the level of personality those guys possessed back then either. I get chills when I hear the old HNIC crew from the 80′s. There are no great broadcasters anymore. I died a little inside when Rod Phillips retired.

151. Nuckout says:

Dead Cat Bounce: Actually, he enjoys the attention.

He lives 3 blocks away from me and I run into him often.

Nice guy and very approachable.

Lowetide: GREAT idea.

You should interview a few people on the show before you won’t be able to interview them anymore.

Wonder if Howie would consent to a 30 minute segment?

Nurse with an assist and +1 tonight, he’s 15, 3-12-15 +2. He had 41 points last year, can he hit 50 this season?

154. Dead Cat Bounce says:

Nuckout: What a small world this is. I’ve heard anecdotal stories (true? who knows) of people running into Al Pacino, Robin Williams, and even Lou Reed around these parts. And they’re quite friendly apparently. High profile stars love the Island real estate market, is how the word goes.

LOL.

It’s true.

Randy Quaid and his wife holed up in a local hotel while he was on the run from his imaginary enemies and ran into him a couple of times in the grocery store.

Wally Buono and his wife (smokin’) and his daughter (even more smokin’) live here in the offseason and have also run into them in the produce aisle.

155. Nuckout says:

Woodguy,

well, see if Dead cat Bounce (great name, BTW) would take the walk over to Howie’s and pitch the idea. Just bring cookies.

156. striatic says:

so i take it CBC will be showing periods 2 through 3 of the Oilers game?

157. Lloyd B. says:

Howie Meeker started the hockey skate revolution. I vividly remember him cutting up the sides of skate to show the cardboard between the inside and outside layers of leather. OK I’ll go with leather but more like pleather. You might choose vinyl. My dad was watching the show as well and when Howie mentioned that when the cardboard gets wet there is no ankle support whatsoever. Under the Christmas tree that year was a brand new pair of skates with plastic in all the right places. I don’t know if it was the skates or how proud I was of the fact that I had them ( my folks didn’t have much money at the time) my skating improved 200% and I became one of the better players on our team. They still had tubes and carbon steel but man could I fly in those babies. Instantly converted an ankler to a skater.

158. linkfromhyrule says:

never ever thought I would be ok with vancouver winning, but man I hope they shutout the leafs.

159. Rebilled says:

stevezie,

Poor Holtby, Jesus. Emery is sure a giant prick.

160. Nuckout says:

Dead Cat Bounce: LOL.

It’s true.

Also, can’t be positive, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Tommy Lee browsing local hot sauces at the Coombs market.

I usually have a feel for the game (recently, foreboding) but honestly have no idea about tonight. The team is beaten down and injured, if they lost I wouldn’t be shocked. I expect them to play better than they did last week, though.

Hunt scores from Davidson and Fyten to make it 2-1 OKC.

163. Nuckout says:

Hunt scores from Davidson and Fyten to make it 2-1 OKC.

LT, how far away in terms of ability do you see Brad Hunt? if ever?

Kessy gets his first NHL point, an assist now 3-1 Barons.

Linus Omark on a penalty show, 4-2 Barons.

166. striatic says:

yes yes yes .. but did he do the spinarama?

167. jp says:

Nice chance for Nuge early (I’m in America and can access the Wings feed).

And Hamilton almost gets a breakaway, but draws a penalty.

168. Lucinius says:

God damn our powerplay is pathetic. Very obvious with their passes. Telegraph absolutely everything.

169. Nuckout says:

The announcers on CBC are atrocious. 4th string at best.

Great check by Belov.

170. tcho says:

Goilers!

*clap clap*

171. spoiler says:

It took a long time to get that last game out of my mind.

Please don’t reinforce that image tonight Oilers.

172. Lucinius says:

Gagner, Yakupov, Hemsky out against Datsyuk.

I foresee problems.

173. Nuckout says:

Lucinius,

First shift was RNH line. Eakins testing the shark (wing?) infested waters.

174. spoiler says:

Nuckout:
    The announcers on CBC are atrocious. 4th string at best.

Great check by Belov.

I like it when he said ” looks like he’s going to be okay” with a surprised tone after Ebs took out the net. Like miraculously, an Oiler wasn’t injured.

Wow, Helm.

175. tcho says:

Dangnamit

176. jp says:

Helm scores. Misplayed by Petry…

177. Lucinius says:

And Petry fucks up already. Who was the forward who couldn’t get his stick on it before it left the Wing zone?

178. Nuckout says:

They’re playing a decent first 10 minu……

AAAAAAAAAAND it’s gone.

179. Lucinius says:

Wow. Whelp.

Your Edmonton Oilers.

Oilers down 2-0 early. The Oakland Seals live. Lordy.

181. spoiler says:

oh my.

182. Lucinius says:

And now a penalty kill to get through. Weee.

I’m sorry, I’ll always be a fan of the Oilers.. but god damn if this doesn’t make you want to give up watching the sport.

183. striatic says:

Hrudey sounds like he’s doing the colour from a phone booth.

hey, if the Oilers are phoning it in, why not the broadcast team?

184. D says:

Oilers down 2-0 early. The Oakland Seals live. Lordy.

Is that fair to the Oakland Seals LT?

185. VanOil says:

I have no words to properly express my frustration and disappointment in this season and the all to predictable start to this game and I know a lot of swear words.

186. LMHF#1 says:

So, what’s wrong with Petry’s puckhandling this year? It’s been consistently bad and he’s already made 3 large mistakes in this game.

187. justDOit says:

Out here in Winnipeg, I seem to be getting the CBC east feed at my hotel. And the hotel internet isn’t stream worthy. Got a bottle of nice organic malbec and nothing to cry over.

188. Nuckout says:

Hey they limited them to 1 shot on the powerplay, that’s something, right? right?? RIGHT????

………………………….anyone?

189. jp says:

This seems like a really long PP. Should be over soon…

190. Lucinius says:

This game is so one sided you’d think the Oilers were playing their 7th game in 6 nights or something. Every single Detroit line is outplaying whomever they’re on the ice against.

D: Is that fair to the Oakland Seals LT?

192. tcho says:

Not the easiest team to be a fan of… Well. Let’s hope they can turn this game around and at least make it interesting. Lots of time left.

193. VanOil says:

justDOit,

Watch Colorado drink Malbec and be happy. Those of us having to watch the Oilers tonight will need stronger liquor and even then won’t be happy.

justDOit:

Call your woman, start a fight. That’s the only thing left.

195. D says:

I would say the ice is tilted in Detroit’s favour, but unfortunately this is how the Oilers pretty much always play.

196. justDOit says:

Gold! That’s GOLD, LT!

197. tcho says:

Some decent play by the Gags line there.

198. SK Oiler Fan says:

Same crap, different game. Two Grade A chances = 2 goals against. PP still shit. Absolutely no D support from the forwards. Terrible gap control.
    Oiler shots from the outside with no one willing to get near the opposition goal.
    Has a coach ever walked away from a team?

199. spoiler says:

“…And flips it over the glass out of play.”

A perfect microcosm of this season.

Newer Comments »