RED WINGS AT OILERS G15, 13-14

Honestly, I’m glad to be rid of the October nights, they were lovely for sky watching and long walks but the hockey was miserable, like a summer cold or losing a friend. Good riddance to bad rubbish!

ma2

I’ve been thinking lately about the draft day rumors Edmonton was involved in (Cory Schneider, Braydon Coburn) and the free agent that got away (Dave Clarkson); those three names would fit nicely on the current team (although the club would be way over the cap) so as things roll along this winter that’s probably a good shopping list for the team.

I think Coburn may eventually be in play based on the insanity in Philly; I think a goalie may shake loose in Ottawa sooner than later (they’re horrible); The Flyers also have an assortment of PF candidates, from young Tye McGinn to the failing Scott Hartnell (he looks done) and of course Ray Emery.

That Jake Allen kid OKC played last night is the real item. He’s not going anywhere, but he’d be perfect fit. I wonder if St. Louis makes a play for Hemsky nearer the deadline?

ma3It’s important not to get overly excited about the 2013 draft crop, they’re brand new and should be doing well in their respective leagues. It is interesting to note that so many of them have been posting solid numbers compared to their own past.

• Darnell Nurse (14, 3-11-14) is a point per game player after 41 points in 68 OHL games one year ago. He’s getting PP minutes this year and his boxcars should be outstanding at year’s end. I had him as the #1 prospect in the summer, he’s certainly not going backwards.
  • Marco Roy (1, 1-3-4) finally got into game action last night and had an immediate (and enormous) impact. I’m thrilled he’s back, this is a fun player to track because offensively he’s easily the best forward in the system. I had him #4 in the summer, we’ll see where he ranks on this year’s list (which will begin later in the month).
  • Bogdan Yakimov (22, 5-5-10) is posting exceptional numbers in his first KHL season and if he can continue to be an offensive contributor throughout the year one wonders what the club does with him this summer. I suspect he’ll stay the full two seasons in Russia, but his size/position/skill make him an attractive option. I had him #8 in summer, he’ll move up on the winter list.
  • Anton Slepyshev (15, 1-1-2) after going 11, 4-2-6 at the same level (KHL) one year ago. I’ve heard good things about him but the boxcars aren’t there, and his shots per game are down from 2.4 to 1.1 year over year (and he’s playing 2.5 minutes less per game). It’s early, but he’ll no doubt drop from #7 (I had him there in summer).
  • Jackson Houck (18, 8-5-13) started off poorly but has improved a great deal in the last 10 days. He’s off from a year ago (69, 23-34-57) but only by a couple of points. He should post some big time numbers, but his WHL team (Vancouver) isn’t good; Houck already leads his team in goals. I had him #13 in summer, not sure where he’ll land this time.
  • Kyle Platzer (15, 4-4-8) got off to a terrific start (4, 4-2-6) and then all the high numbers returned from their NHL teams and he’s buried again. The most impressive thing about him might be his performance in Penticton and early camp, where he looked like he belonged alongside true skill. I had him #20 in summer, would guess he’ll move up a little next time.
  • Aidan Muir (10, 3-3-6) has 20pims and 22 shots, he has only one assist on the PP so those are even strength numbers for the most part. 6.03, 195, fascinating prospect, he is exactly a ‘draft and follow’ and is so far worth following. I did not rank him in summer, we’ll see about him this month.
  • Evan Campbell (5, 0-0-0) Impossible really to read much into nothing, he does have three shots on goal. Campbell is not a young prospect (turned 20 in March) so time is of the essence. Was not ranked in summer, will not be ranked in winter unless there’s some crooked numbers on the way.
  • Ben Betker (15, 1-2-3) has had a nice start to the season, and we know a little more about him now. He’s a big man (6.05, 200) with impressive footspeed, and that’s a winning combination for a defenseman. We’ll be tracking him forever, but there might be a player here.
  • Greg Chase (16, 13-9-22) is an amazing story early this season. I liked him plenty (ranked him #19 in summer) but what he’s doing is beyond what anyone could have projected. He’s 4th in goals and just outside the top 10 in total points. 4-2-6 on the PP, meaning he’s getting good minutes for the first time and taking advantage. Sign this guy.

ma4

The Red Wings are death to the Oil, has been such for a long long time. But, you know, this team has to turn north at some point and have been burning daylight from opening night. I remain convinced this 14 game prologue does not define, or represent, the whole. The lessons learned in youth define and sustain. They’re down, they’re injured, they’re broken.

Start as you mean to go.

I don’t have lines, don’t have pairings. They don’t matter. The Oilers tonight (and Tuesday, and Thursday) need to dig deep and the blender is likely to be out early and often. Sweet Jesus this team needs a Pisani, but they’re going to have to make do with what they have. The man child Nugent-Hopkins may have to lead them all.

Ladies, it’s time to cheer like hell. The sun is climbing, the night is gone, the dark is fading and I’m all alone, so close to home.

491 Responses to "RED WINGS AT OILERS G15, 13-14"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. jp says:

VanOil:
    justDOit,

Watch Colorado drink Malbec and be happy. Those of us having to watch the Oilers tonight will need stronger liquor and even then won’t be happy.

Vodka. Not happy.

2. Nuckout says:

SK Oiler Fan,

If this continues, I believe he’ll even have his shoes tied for him.

Oilers are dead on arrival and it’s 8:40pm. I’m a big believer in MacT and think Eakins needs two years, but you’re going to have to be more entertaining than this gentlemen

4. spoiler says:

Bane needs to become more Bane-like. Less Halfling.

Betker with another goal tonight, nice prospect. I already like him more than Chris Hajt.

6. jp says:

Bachman injured now. That doesn’t look good.

7. jake70 says:

Oh oh, groin.

8. Lucinius says:

Another bloody injury?

God damn.

Does anywhere list total man games lost for the season?

We’ve got to be up there.

9. VanOil says:

Yea that’s what we need our best goalie (which is faint praise) is out. Our second best has lost his mojo and is on a wonky peg. And now some Barbarella.

10. Nuckout says:

And there goes Bachman. That settles that.

Bachman hurt, Racicot in.

12. spoiler says:

LaBarbera will probably get hurt in the 2nd period. Coz Oilers.

13. Rebilled says:

Great pass by Belov.

14. Genjutsu says:

Bachman hurt, Racicot in.

“red light!”

15. VanOil says:

Who was that unsigned kid that showed well in net during the camp? Can we start him now and cut 3 or 4 goalies from our 50 man roster?

16. jake70 says:

Wow, they blew coverage on the 3rd red wing entering the zone, Belov pointed to him but the forward just let him coast unchecked to the slot.

17. jp says:

18. VanOil says:

Genjutsu: “red light!”

Bud should hire him

19. Thor762 says:

Well at least the Eskimos beat the riders today.

20. SK Oiler Fan says:

A forward actually gets back on a rush against and checks no one and screens his G. Believe it was Gagner. Dumb team

jp: Did you always hate Chris Hajt? Or was it only after he turned pro that you realized he was no Bill Hajt? Betker is showing some nice things though.

Bill Hajt was a helluva player. Back then of course they were drafted at 20 so you knew better.

22. Brackenburied says:

Thor762:
    Well at least the Eskimos beat the riders today.

The Riders AHL team.

23. tcho says:

Shots 12-6 for Detroit. Grrr… Well rested home team up against a team playing it’s 3rd in 4th night, and this is how they start.

24. SK Oiler Fan says:

Man this team is weak on the puck.
    I’m convinced Mac T needs to throw Eakins a life preserver now with a vet assistant coach. They need an outside opinion.

25. VanOil says:

Dallas Face like a Smacked Ass Eakins is going to age faster than a US president should he last his 4 year term.

26. D says:

Ho hum. Another Oiler “effort”.

Oilers had a bad break on the first goal and then the goalie gave up a juicey on G2. I saw hard work but also confusion. We’re 15 games in and it seems we haven’t kissed.

28. striatic says:

Smid and Petry are not an NHL top pairing.

Other than the injuries, i’m beginning to think that leaning so heavily on Smid and Petry is the beginning and end of the Oilers’ problems.

Problem is, having a top pairing that is continually dominated for 20 minutes a night is a massive, massive problem.

29. spoiler says:

Adam Foote was a helluva defenseman.

striatic:
    Smid and Petry are not an NHL top pairing.

31. tcho says:

Agreed – first goal was bad luck.

32. Henry says:

Can Dubnyk go downstairs and dress as the backup in this situation?

33. spoiler says:

Lowetide: It was a bad hop and a forward missed on that play before it got there. Holy hell people, if you don’t like Petry stare at the other 5 guys for awhile.

That was a tough puck to pick up, and a helluva pass by Alfredsson. Kissed with luck.

34. bookje says:

Reality check – you don’t get two years when your team comes out flat and your stars look like fourth liners on most nights.

I fully understand that this team had problems that take time to solve, but this team is performing worse than they should have even given those problems.

With that said, I agree that they need time, but I am not very happy as a fan right now. If they lose for a half a season and then figure it out – that’s fine by me, but I really worry that this thing may implode before then. What happens if Hall starts talking about the team the way Quinn and Souray were talking about the team.

Maybe Eakins as an associate to Krueger would have been a better mix of motivational mentorship and x’s and o’s and fitness.

Anyway, sigh.

35. D says:

Henry:
    Can Dubnyk go downstairs and dress as the backup in this situation?

Remember one time when Fuhr and Ranford were both injured in a game and they called John Garrett from the broadcast booth to see if he could step in? Garrett couldn’t get properly fitted in any available Oiler equipment, and Ranford eventually came back in, but it was an interesting situation. Different CBA back then though, so who knows what rules are in force under the current CBA.

Dennis King ‏@DKingBH 8m

I had the chances 1-7; 1-2 ST

37. justDOit says:

Well I don’t have a pvr here, but it sure appeared in the replay as if the puck bounced just before it got to Petry. If so, that goal is on the Bruce Wayne wannabe, billionaire owner. Don’t tell me that a little $$ couldn’t get NHL quality ice under the blades of his rich little minions.

And to add to the misery, I’ve managed to get into the nearby Denny’s wifi, which is able to stream a firstrow stream – as long as I sit on the window sill.

38. bookje says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    Man this team is weak on the puck.

I don’t think a coach in waiting does the team any good. I could see them firing Bucky and Smith however if Eakins took them on under a bit of pressure from management and he decides he needs more competent help (Kruger basically noted that they were not very helpful).

39. Nuckout says:

Answer: Dubey dressed as the backup on the bench.

40. justDOit says:

D,

Hopefully it’s just a forfeit under this contract.

So who is going to do the Kypreos on their own goalie? Jones? I keed, I keed.

41. Rebilled says:

Wow Nultz, what are you doing?

42. striatic says:

i’m not just talking about this game.

is there any statistical basis on which one might conclude Smid and Petry are not out of their depth?

43. Nuckout says:

Lets hope this doesn’t turn into Philly Vs. Washington.

How good of a fighter is Labarbera Bush?

44. jake70 says:

Nice pass Ebs.

45. D says:

justDOit,

Poor Dubnyk probably didn’t expect to play tonight. Hopefully no Kypreos tonight :)

46. spoiler says:

D:
    justDOit,

Poor Dubnyk probably didn’t expect to play tonight.Hopefully no Kypreos tonight

According to HNIC, he actually did.

47. Kitchener says:

How’s this for a theory to explain this season’s suckage? Dallas Eakins has been acting a bit too much like Captain Jellico.

I think people achieve better results when running with some joy/love/excitement, not just work/fear/duty. I don’t remotely advocate replacing the coach at this point, but Eakins has got to find a way to get players smiling again.

48. SK Oiler Fan says:

bookje,

Yah, it’s tough for fans to know what’s actually going on , but Smith and Bucky certainly haven’t impressed me in the Oil Change episodes.
    Would Billy Moores and Charlie Huddy help things along? Hard to say.
    I see the players have now forgotten how to fore check as well.

49. Cobbler says:

Ughhh, used to (last week) stay up late to watch the games (I’m in NL) but can’t bare to anymore. The outcome these days seems preordained and that really takes the fun out of the sport. I am just waiting now for MacT to make a move and then I will be interested again.

Really just can’t watch this anymore, and will be writing the Oilers in the AM to let them know how I feel.

50. Brackenburied says:

I wonder what Eakins said between periods that has the boys so, um, fired up? Yeesh!

51. VanOil says:

Kitchener,

Agreed. Has Yak even smiled this year?

52. spoiler says:

Long bombs.

53. striatic says:

Let’s go Oilers.

54. Cobbler says:

When I checked the score and it was 2-0 Red Wings, I was emotionless. It has taken 7 years to get to this point! What’s wrong with me?

55. tcho says:

Well, don’t think I can watch any more. Night, gents.

56. Nuckout says:

SK Oiler Fan,

Anything with the word “check” in it, the oilers have forgotten.

backcheck, forecheck, bodycheck, gut check.

57. Brackenburied says:

MEDIC!! More scotch, stat.

58. D says:

spoiler: According to HNIC, he actually did.

Maybe Dubnyk should play?

59. Rebilled says:

‘It’s hard for your eyes to adjust to that.’ ouch.

60. SK Oiler Fan says:

Barberra’s career might be over if it weren’t for Bachman’s groin. Fk, there’s another Grade A chance.
    Just awful. Nuge a non factor so far.

61. fuzzy muppet says:

I don’t want to hear the word patience ever again. And for the love of Gord, STOP BUYING TICKETS

62. spoiler says:

D: Maybe Dubnyk should play?

He may still get his chance.

63. Henry says:

D: Remember one time when Fuhr and Ranford were both injured in a game and they called John Garrett from the broadcast booth to see if he could step in?Garrett couldn’t get properly fitted in any available Oiler equipment, and Ranford eventually came back in, but it was an interesting situation.Different CBA back then though, so who knows what rules are in force under the current CBA.

D,

I’d prefer to put anyone other than j garret in the oiler net. Sather, howie meeker, my mom, not him. He hates the oilers.

64. justDOit says:

Nuckout:
    SK Oiler Fan,

Anything with the word “check” in it, the oilers have forgotten.

backcheck, forecheck, bodycheck, gut check.

Paycheck – oh, wait…

65. spoiler says:

fuzzy muppet: This team is a disgrace. They need to make some MAJOR changes. They look like they aren’t even trying. move everyone/anyone they can outside of 4 and 93 and start over.

They’re playing a real team with half a team.

66. jake70 says:

Yeah , think I am checking out now too. Oh, just heard the boobirds…see ya gents.

67. VanOil says:

Hrudey is wrong there is no goal tender controversy in Edmonton. They all suck.

We might disagree if they have all always sucked or if one of them is capable of one day sucking less but not if they all suck this year. They do.

How was Eager close enough to a Wing to even take a penalty?

68. D says:

Henry: D,

I’d prefer to put anyone other than j garret in the oiler net.Sather, howie meeker, my mom, not him. He hates the oilers.

Very true. But that day I think he was intrigued with the opportunity. If I recall it was 1989 or 1990 when it happened.

69. spoiler says:

Nice smart icing. Jesus Christ.

70. Nuckout says:

jake70,

Watching this game kind of like poking at a bruise. You know it hurts, but somehow you just can’t stop…

71. leadfarmer says:

“Wings like playing in Edmonton” I think everyone likes playing in Edmonton. Gimme win and not very few bruises caused. Couple more seasons of this and they might move them to the Eastern conference to boost the Leafs record.

72. VanOil says:

D,

I remember that game too. I was disappointed he never made the ice. It would have been amusing.

73. russ99 says:

So done with this, I may need an Oilers break until they win a few.

Something has to change beyond player personnel. This is a better group than last year and they’re playing worse.

74. bookje says:

I’ve seen that look that Eakins has on his face on coaches before. It’s not a good look. It’s a look that says “I am out of ideas”.

I honestly thought he would be successful here and maybe they somehow push through this and it works out. If guys like Hall and Eberle have bought in and its a matter of just getting the systems work down, then that might work out. However, if guys are pissed off because they don’t see the logic of spending 30 minutes on an exercise bike after games then this could be a problem.

If this continues, I wouldn’t be surprised to see MacT behind the bench before the end of the month.

75. leadfarmer says:

So it took 30 minutes to finally go to the net.

Jackson Houck with an assist, he’s having a nice little run over the last couple of weeks.

77. gr8one says:

They’re just rope-a-doping a supposedly “tired” team until the third, right? right??

78. spoiler says:

Nuge has a little dirty in his game. I like it.

That was a much better shift. Gord could we use a powerplay goal now.

79. russ99 says:

BTW – All those people whining about Justin Schultz, this is what the Oilers look like without him. Nothing is going the other way…

80. striatic says:

fuzzy muppet,

patience.

i wonder what Renney is thinking over on the Detroit bench.

81. fuzzy muppet says:

Stat of the night (actually 2)

They are 1 for there last 30(!) on the PP

and have won 14 of the last 41(1) at home

82. D says:

VanOil,

Agreed!

83. Nuckout says:

Tom Renney is standing behind the Wings bench just bursting inside. He must feel slightly smug.

84. fuzzy muppet says:

striatic,

Please Tell me when It’s OK to stop having patience….8 seasons and counting

85. striatic says:

fuzzy muppet,

it was a joke.

sort of like this game.

SOG 20-8 DET as we entered this PP. This team is defeated.

87. russ99 says:

Nuckout,

Naw, they’re playing the same way as when Renney was coach. Tuned out the coaching staff, playing flat and not happy that they can’t play their game.

The only difference is that Hall hasn’t called out the coaching decisions in the press… yet.

88. bookje says:

This comment by LT kind of scares me. It’s like when you tell someone some terrible news and they respond by quietly asking if you would like some tea – as though their brain has imploded and they are unable to process the horror of it all.

89. fuzzy muppet says:

striatic,

AS you can see, my sense of humor has been erased. They are making me hate everything

90. gr8one says:

bookje: This comment by LT kind of scares me.It’s like when you tellsomeone some terrible news and they respond by quietly asking if you would like some tea – as though their brain has imploded and they are unable to process the horror of it all.

This.

91. Nuckout says:

Lets hold a pool.. next time we hear the goal horn at rexall place is:

A) Tonight
    B) Next Game
    C) 2014
    D) What the hell is a goal horn?

Nah. They’re injured, they’re confused, this is an expansion team. Long nights. Ask Gilles Meloche.

93. leadfarmer says:

I’m glad Eakins came in and fixed this powerplay and penalty kill.

94. bookje says:

Lowetide: Gilles Meloche

The Edmonton Golden Seals!

95. leadfarmer says:

Gagner a whopping 9% in the faceoff circle. I hope this is the last season we see him as a center.

96. russ99 says:

We could use Gilles Meloche right about now. Whats he doing tonight? We may need an emergency goalie in the third.

97. VanOil says:

This team is defeated.

This fan is defeated.

98. Iztok Turk says:

Long time caller… in-frequent contributor. I think Eakins has a specific idea… grounded in fact, statistics and logic…… not sure if he’ll be able to fully execute with a one-win-in-7-games ratio. Nor should he, because that’s unacceptable.

99. Henry says:

If the Oilers were the golden seals, they would have traded Hall to Montreal and the nuge to Detroit.

100. striatic says:

when it rains, it rains anvils.

101. Rebilled says:

Just did a full on facepalm.

102. "Steve Smith" says:

VanOil,

I had hoped that “We hoped for the best, but it turned out like always” would stop applying once it stopped turning out like always. Instead, it seems to have stopped applying now that we’ve stopped hoping for the best.

103. fuzzy muppet says:

What a bunch of gutless turds. There’s no effort. Half these guys are fighting for jobs and they aren’t even trying

104. VanOil says:

Boyd Gordon down. Season to follow? When you are already in the elevator shaft is it possible to accelerate to the bottom?

105. russ99 says:

How long have we had possession of the puck in the offensive zone tonight? It has to be under 3 minutes.

106. VanOil says:

“Steve Smith”:
    VanOil,

I had hoped that “We hoped for the best, but it turned out like always” would stop applying once it stopped turning out like always.Instead, it seems to have stopped applying now that we’ve stopped hoping for the best.

Brilliant but sad analsys

Dennis King ‏@DKingBH 35s

Chances 1-4 in the second; 1-1 ST. 2-11 after 40 min; 1-2 ST

108. Oilanderp says:

Ay Dios Mio!

109. Rebilled says:

This game: Gordon and BTO out.

Have you guys noticed the Oilers have sustained a lot of injuries in the last few times.

110. justDOit says:

Lowetide: muppet says

Hazed and confused

For so long it’s not true

111. flyfish1168 says:

VanOil,

VanOil: This fan is defeated.

Me too. I look forward to hockey night in Canada and to watch my favorite team. Its now only the 2nd of November and I don’t feel like watching another game for a while. Its more because of there compete level or effort. Last evening watching the phlagm game at least there was a higher level of try.

112. leadfarmer says:

Are we tanking already? I think this is a record.

I’ll ask again. What is the over/under on Eakins lasting 30 games?

113. Kitchener says:

At the risk of being positive:

- Belov still looks good. Not a defeated man.
    - Arco still looks good. Making the most of his chance.

That’s it. I’m out of ammo.

114. Henry says:

I was putting the boy to bed. What happened to Gordon?

115. "Steve Smith" says:

leadfarmer,

And I’ll say again: thirty games.

116. striatic says:

why would any UFA want to sign in Edmonton after this?

at least last year there was a fig-leaf that Edmonton was improving in the standings, threatened the playoffs for a brief moment.

games like this are a good argument as to why Hall should be named Captain. i’ve never seen him give up and he has a tendency to drag a bunch of guys along with him.

the team still loses most of the time, but at least it is something to watch, and there’s hope.

curious what Ference says after the game.

117. russ99 says:

Can we please stop dumping the puck in?

The Wings have been carrying it out of the zone within seconds.

Definition of insanity?

118. justDOit says:

Rebilled,

Arf!

What’s that Lassie?

Arfarfarf ARF!

The Oilers are trapped in the cellar? Tell me something I don’t know, you dumb dog!

119. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”:
    VanOil,

That was awesome! (with that said, I am an Oiler fan so clearly I have low standards and am easily impressed).

120. striatic says:

Henry:
    I was putting the boy to bed. What happened to Gordon?

off the bench after blocking a shot.

121. Rondo says:

leadfarmer,

They could switch coaches Babcock couldn’t do much better. Treat the cause not the symptom . Oilers philosophy has been wrong for 7 years.

122. bookje says:

striatic:

curious what Ference says after the game.

“Anyone want to have a fitness contest? Anyone want to go run up a mountain with the coach?”

Ok, that’s not fair, but when you are losing, you can be criticized for the things you say and the choices you make (Eakins was beaming when talking about Ference’s fitness levels and a few days later he named him captain).

123. flyfish1168 says:

Maybe our biggest problem has been sticking with Bucky and smith as coaches. Eakins should have flushed them and brought in some real NHL coaches. Paul Maurice ahs won before and he should have been one of the hires.

But if Eakins is such a good teacher he better start to realize he is doing a poor job.

124. dangilitis says:

I don’t think Tom Renney is smug. I think he feels blessed every time he comes back to Edmonton. I think he’s thinking that it’s a great thing he landed on his feet in Detroit, and that associate coaching isn’t so bad when it’s for a perennially playoff bound organization. He would probably prefer doing time at that prison in Arizona that Khabi was at than spending another minute as the head coach in Edmonton. Eakins could use a beer after the game with him…

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 2m

DET led 2nd period shot attempts 15-5, now 32-16 overall. Oiler CF% is 33%, expected goals % of 28%.

126. PunjabiOil says:

Yeah, losing interest in this team. This is only November and we’re already set to be out of the playoffs.

8 years of missing the playoffs.

Eight.

Outshot 21-10 after 40, for a team playing it’s 3rd game in 4 nights. Injuries have played a role, but the effort level isn’t there. I never cared much about ”culture of losing” but maybe there is some merit to those theories.

127. dangilitis says:

Rondo:
    leadfarmer,

They could switch coaches Babcock couldn’t do much better. Treatthe cause not the symptom . Oilers philosophy has been wrong for 7 years.

Disagree. Babcock would have this team in a lot better standing.

128. Rondo says:

dangilitis,

Maybe a donut

129. Ice Sage says:

flyfish1168:
    VanOil,

Yeah that’s it, this feels like a vigil. I’ll watch this train wreck to it’s conclusion tonight, then I’m done associating with failure and incompetence. It’s just plain embarrassing to be an Oiler fan right now. Thanks for everything, LT.

130. dangilitis says:

Rondo,

Ha – the stale ones he’s been stashing away from Rishaug

The Oilers are pretty shitty.

If Gagner actually gets to his check on the back check it will be the first time.

6 rings and 8 years out of the playoffs.

132. russ99 says:

We’re in the eye of a perfect storm of epically bad hockey:

1. Zero healthy, effective goaltenders – and that’s system wide, not just in Edmonton.

2. Badly hit by the injury bug, and hmmm… could Eakins relentless fitness pursuit and insane ice time have something to do with it??

3. Poor drafting of non-first round forwards (in the vain hunt to find another Lucic) the last 3 years – No young prospects ready to help at the AHL level – even bringing up Pitlick was a rush job.

4. Too many bad signings, we’re stuck with 5-7 contracts that aren’t even replacement level NHL players, and thus no room to make additions.

5. MacT forgot to sign a big defenseman and shutdown wingers, which it’s pretty darn hard to play possession oriented defensive hockey without them. BTW: Look at the other side of the ice today and see what they have.

6. Eakins isn’t adapting, or adapting fast enough. No NHL team has everything work out perfectly all year, even Cup winners. Hubris that their ideas are smarter than the rest of the hockey world and wanting to stick with them too long is a common rookie coach mistake.

133. Lloyd B. says:

Just watched the highlights of the Colorado game. Can’t remember the players (Too much scotch )but a defenceman gives a great hip check and gets a tripping penalty. Good grief !! May as well put picks on their skates.

134. dangilitis says:

leadfarmer:
    Gagner a whopping 9% in the faceoff circle.I hope this is the last season we see him as a center.

I saw that when i was scrolling down, and didn’t see who was listed as 9%, but instinctively thought it was a typo – maybe meant to be 59%, 39%, 90%? Then I saw who it was assigned to, and believed it.

135. Nuckout says:

flyfish1168:

I guess the question is whether or not Eakins is the goat in this scenario. He certainly does not look good right now, and it comes down to the players at this point, injuries or not. A good team will find a way to compete. There is ZERO compete from this squad.

However.

A leader of a team is responsible for correcting poor behaviors that are detrimental to the team’s success. When poor behavior is recognized, it is up to the leader to identify it, and it is up to the teammate to correct his own behavior. When said teammate fails to correct that behavior, it becomes the leader’s job to either remove him or find a way to correct him. I see very little of this from Eakins so far.

I’m really not trying to be a heel here, I really am searching. I would like to say Eakins is making a positive impact, but I haven’t found enough evidence to support that.

136. bookje says:

What’s interesting is I think Eakins might not make the half way point of the season, but I also believe that if he had gotten the top notch goaltending that the past two coaches got through the first few weeks of the season that he may have gotten the buy in from the team and have done very very well with this group.

137. VanOil says:

I can’t watch Wendy’s commercials any more with out thinking of Dan O’Tooles irrational hatred of that actress and the real Wendy she is portraying. If you haven’t watched them go to Youtube right now and watch the Jay and Dan blogs. It will likely be a better use of your time than watching the third period.

138. flyfish1168 says:

Wondering who will be interviewed in after hours. Maybe its Eakins and can explain the poor start on national TV.

139. fuzzy muppet says:

My biggest issue is they aren’t even remotely entertaining to watch. At least they were mildly entertaining under Kreuger.

MacT must make a move. I honestly don’t care who goes outside of Hall and RNH. They need a shake up in the worst way. Move 89 now while you can….he’s the new jones

140. striatic says:

Nuckout: Aside from Yakupov’s 2 game scratch, what else has he done to indicate he is attempting to change anyone’s poor habits and behaviors on the ice? Anyone?

difficult to bench guys when you wouldn’t be able to dress a complete roster if you did.

141. spoiler says:

Nuckout:Aside from Yakupov’s 2 game scratch, what else has he done to indicate he is attempting to change anyone’s poor habits and behaviors on the ice? Anyone?

Injuries really handcuff the ability to do this.

142. russ99 says:

You see that little round black thing? You want to have that on your stick, OK?

143. striatic says:

flyfish1168:

it’s Ference.

144. flyfish1168 says:

striatic: it’s Ference.

So the Captain can explain the poor start.

145. dangilitis says:

In high school rugby, we had this coach that taught the backs a bunch of set plays. Some were simple crashes and switches, some quite complicated. Very few of us had played the game before, and here we were being taught stuff from the All-Blacks playbook. Everyone knew where to go, but problem was that if someone got tackled partway through the play, the rest would go through the motions but, the team was in reality, in complete disarray, because none of us knew how to compensate during the set play if something went awry. This is what the Oilers look like for much of the season so far

146. striatic says:

flyfish1168: So the Captain can explain the poor start.

attempt to, at least.

i mean, LT is right, team is injured and difficult to be upbeat and energetic when so many key players are out of the lineup.

but we’ve seen this happen before in previous years and it feels different this time. team’s reaction, fan reaction, media reaction, everything.

147. fuzzy muppet says:

When does the building stop being full? I hope it’s next game.

Go for ten please…this is a fucking disgrace.,

148. bookje says:

damn, thought the oilers scored for a minute and was happy

149. nez29 says:

Ugh. Used to look forward to games, whether live or on the tube. Kee-rist–is it time for an NBA league pass? I have seven games left in my shared ticket package, and I am gonna start soliciting bids. I’d give ‘em to charity, but haven’t the poor suffered enough? Injuries? Too much travel ?gross ineptitude? Thank some deity that I at least have my Red Sox fandom–and I ain’t no pink hat. \ with the Esks also blowing, this is like living in friggin’ land-of-Cows….and it’s 4-zip as I type. By the way…the Eakins theme song?
    Psycho Killer/Qu\est-ce=que?

150. dangilitis says:

Well, at least they can use the 3rd period to practice their penalty killing…. oh, wait….

151. FastOil says:

Nuckout: chec

Doubt they forget “paycheck”.

They are playing hard but have 3 main problems.
    -Substandard goaltending.
    -They are playing as individuals. Zero cohesion,
    -They are icing players that are not good enough. Ryan Jones for eg. tries but just isn’t an effective player. He gets a few looks or near looks but accomplishes nothing else. Players like him have to win board battles and be able to check effectively, play well positionally and head to the net with stick on ice and malice.

By year end it will be better, but that’s what we’re looking at.

152. bookje says:

striatic: attempt to, at least.

Usually the players suck it up when a key player or players are out, but there is nothing here. I think they have either lost faith in the team as a whole after the losses to start the season (hear we go again) OR they can’t figure out why the coach they liked and understood was fired and this crazy intense guy was brought in to replace him.

At this pace, they will be bringing the ping pong table in and out of the room every few weeks.

Zetterberg is a beautiful hockey player. 5-0, that’s a goal worth cheering for even on a dreadful night.

154. striatic says:

nez29: Thank some deity that I at least have my Red Sox fandom

i feel the same way about the Seahawks here in Seattle.

Seahawks’ parallels with Oilers are interesting.

Fortuitous run to the championship game, a loss, years in the wilderness, rebuild, one of the youngest teams in the league.

Totally different results though.

155. bookje says:

So, does MacT need to make a trade now?

156. Henry says:

fuzzy muppet:
    My biggest issue is they aren’t even remotely entertaining to watch.At least they were mildly entertaining under Kreuger.

MacT must make a move.Ihonestly don’t care who goes outside of Hall and RNH. They need a shake up in the worst way.Move 89 now while you can….he’s the new jones

This team needs a rainout.

157. leadfarmer says:

Hey aren’t we supposed to be fit. Why is an old team playing 3 games in 4 nights skating circles around a team that has been off for 3 days and is really young.

158. leadfarmer says:

I wonder if Minnesota will give us a 3rd for Schultz Sr at the deadline

159. fuzzy muppet says:

Eakins isn’t going to last until Christmas. MacT screwed Kreuger and this is the payoff

160. D says:

No worries LT. There haven’t been many dreadful nights this . . . decade.

161. russ99 says:

Yikes. This is getting out of hand.

Maybe the Oilers ticket holders need to start voting with their wallets. No fans are eternally patient.

162. bookje says:

I don’t think I like you when your drinking Royal Reserve. You’re too happy.

163. Kitchener says:

leadfarmer:
    Hey aren’t we supposed to be fit.Why is an old team playing 3 games in 4 nights skating circles around a team that has been off for 3 days and is really young.

Ha! Attitude. Defeated spirits don’t skate very fast.

I like the fact that Eberle is still trying.

164. bookje says:

russ99:
    Yikes. This is getting out of hand.

Let’s face it, even if Katz decides enough is enough, there is no happy ending there. The only happy ending is if the group that is there turns it around.

165. gr8one says:

A new low for me tonight.

I just realized that my subconscious is now wishing for like a 15-0 blowout in the hopes that it makes ownership and management do something to fix this madness.

166. SK Oiler Fan says:

Oh look, the Smid back door play. Been a while since we’ve seen that one.
    Question for those who psy for tickets: Do the Oilers discount tickets to gill the building. Surely this product doesn’t sell for full price?

167. leadfarmer says:

The real losers of this game are Eakins’ kids. Might want to declare a snowday on Monday

168. Henry says:

dangilitis:

You could be right. They wanted to please but couldnt. Now their plan is scary.

169. flyfish1168 says:

striatic: attempt to, at least.

I don’t buy it. Time to stop with the excuses. Flames have injuries and there complete level way higher. Flames game is consistently attacking to the front of the net. I don’t remember seeing one of our player going to that area tonight.

Our strategy of dressing Eager over Lander at this point is ridiculous since eager is not part of the long term plans.

Lastly Eakins is over teaching and now our players are over thinking and not reacting fast enough. You can see they are to scared to make a mistake especially poor Yakapov.

170. fuzzy muppet says:

gr8one,

my conscious is hoping for it.

BlackJacque was the smartest person on this board. He quit. I wish I was that smart

171. russ99 says:

bookje,

Well, the fans not going to games worked here in Chicago with the Blackhawks, who had an even worse system of former player nepotism (Pulford, Sutter) and internal disdain for the fans in place than the Oilers do now.

But yes, things didn’t really gel until Old Man Wirtz passed away and his son changed the culture.

172. spoiler says:

Oh crap, Belov.

2013 is the year of the knee.

2014 will be the year of the back.

174. fuzzy muppet says:

And Arcobello hurts the only defenseman that looks halfway decent.

175. Genjutsu says:

Belov now?

176. nez29 says:

I don’t care if the team is fit enough to win an ultramarathon. They look like they’ve quit. Hey–I gots me an idea. LET’S HAVE A REBUILD!! PROMOTE BUCKY! Hire Dave Lumley!. Cripes! Now Belov is down. Well, don’t call up Fedun or anything….doesn’t owngoal have a daughter we can draft or something?????

177. bookje says:

Anyone else beginning to think the Oiler players are faking injury just to get away from this?

178. spoiler says:

Oh he is done for a long time.

179. Scotty LaDouche says:

The Oilers playoff chances are slim and none, and slim just reached for his car starter.

180. gr8one says:

oh ffs…you’ve got to be kidding me, Belov down now?

I just give the fuck up as a fan, I denounce thee Hockey Gods and cast them away to Hades where they belong.

181. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    2013 is the year of the knee.

2014 will be the year of the back.

That Belov injury looks bad. There are no words.

183. nez29 says:

…and here come the boos….and here come the pretzels….

(gratuitous Simpsons reference)

184. jp says:

What a mess. This is just grotesque. This must be rock bottom – it has to be…

Did anyone expect/predict/forsee this team actually regressing this season? I mean sure, maybe playoffs were asking too much, but to get worse?

I know the underlying corsi numbers are slightly improved, but this team just has not inspired any confidence. At least last season they showed the ability to score goals in bunches from time to time, suggesting the possibility of a bright future. I haven’t seem much/any of that this year. Bad luck, injures, bad goaltending and all that, but a real lack of inspired effort more than anything.

And now Belov is down – that didn’t look good at all. Eakins does not look like a happy man. I don’t think we’ll see Yakupov smile any time soon.

185. nez29 says:

bookje: I’m starting to think 2013 is the year of the spine. With that said, I am irrationally bitter about this team right now.

I, on the other hand, am holding up well\(slamshead on remote)

186. D says:

fuzzy muppet:
    gr8one,

my conscious is hoping for it.

BlackJacque was the smartest person on this board.He quit.I wish I was that smart

Me too. But like a bad train wreck, it’s hard to not rubberneck.

187. striatic says:

bookje:

i’d be lying if i said the thought hadn’t crossed my mind.

188. flyfish1168 says:

Hire Tom Renney back. He now has some experience with the Wing ‘s system.

I see a small effort now during garbage time

189. gr8one says:

If Belov’s out for any time at all, MacT’s GOTTA make a trade, no?

My gawd that is a scary thought considering the position of weakness he will be working from.

190. fuzzy muppet says:

nez29,

There-in lies the biggest problem, there should be no one there left in that arena to boo. STOP PAYING FOR THIS!

Every former Oiler that’s ever suited up should be removed from their position in the organization and replaced. EVERY SINGLE ONE. I’ve never been this angry

191. russ99 says:

Ooh, a fight! At least MacT goes home happy.

Sorry, way too hard to not lash out after this.

192. gr8one says:

striatic: i’d be lying if i said the thought hadn’t crossed my mind.

That was my exact thought when Bachman went down.

193. justDOit says:

nez29:
    …and here come the boos….and here come the pretzels….

(gratuitous Simpsons reference)

Ah, no sir – they’re saying, “Boo-urns!”

194. Henry says:

Feel terrible for Belov.

195. gr8one says:

If I’m Dallas Eakins I uninstall Skype from all devices on this road trip.

Not that I’m an advocate of a coach change but it wouldn’t surprise me if it happened.

196. bookje says:

The Oilers totally won the hits battle 29-16. They also blocked more shots!

197. striatic says:

gr8one: That was my exact thought when Bachman went down.

indeed.

my rational mind tells me that this is impossible, that all the injuries are obviously legitimate, that random chance sometimes leads to intuitions like this.

but subconsciously the part of my brain that believes that there is moral order to the universe can’t believe that this is all up to chance, and jumps to wild conclusions.

198. Kitchener says:

I’d be surprised if MacT made a BOLD move before Hall/Perron/Smyth/____ are back from injury. Trades before that? Maybe. Blockbuster trade? It’s hard to imagine.

199. flyfish1168 says:

I think it would be a good idea if they bring their golf clubs to Florida. Relax and get their game ready for the summer.

200. striatic says:

gr8one: If I’m Dallas Eakins I uninstall Skype from all devices on this road trip.

he’s on a 4 year contract, right?

that’s an awfully costly hire if they fire him after month.

you know, i don’t miss Tambellini but i do miss Krueger. his attitude is better for the team in situations like this.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »