SAIL ON, LIBEREC WHITE TIGER

When he arrived, he was just a kid. Hell, Ladislav Smid at 20 had a lot of chaos but you could see what he might become one day. A tall tree with very good footspeed, he was a willing learner and a hard worker and we suffered along with him. Early in his time as an Oiler, I gave a thumbail sketch of the young man as an Oiler.

I like Smid, have from the start. He isn’t quite the player I thought he’d be based on scouting reports but there are some things to like and he has a unique set of skills (although the offense isn’t there, he can carry the puck through the land mines, and he’s a finesse defender in that he thinks position first and reacts to the puck like a cat to a ball of wool but he also turns into a mean one when the whistle stops play. Go figure) that imply there’s more there than is hitting the scoresheet currently. I still think he’ll have a long, productive career.

The learning curve for Smid–partly because he didn’t have a lot of help–was a longer process than you’d want, and the struggles were made worse by the team’s overall play (about as bad as things can be, that was Smid’s early career with the Oilers. The club really couldn’t shelter him, there was no time).

• Craig MacTavish, fall 2008: “It hasn’t been a great camp for Laddie, he probably needed a better one. The bottom line for me this year is we have to play people right out of the gate who are going to help us win immediately. In years past there’s always been some latitude for young guys to play through some early-season mistakes while they gain the experience, but that’s not our mindset this year, we’ve got to win. We’re going to play the personnel who give us our best chance.”

He lost the starting job to Jason Strudwick that fall, but as with all things Smid worked hard and won the job back, eventually moving up the depth chart and becoming a player coaching staffs could count on. In 2009 October–barely a year after MacT had moved him off the starting 6, I wrote the following:

He arrived the same day the Oilers sent away the most complete defender in their history, his progress looked at times like you could track it by sundial, but Ladislav Smid has made it. By eye and by number #5 is a solid NHL defender. He’s physical, makes good decisions, can close a gap, has terrific speed and his headman passes are quality. The offense isn’t pouring nor should we expect it to. But the fact is that if Ladislav Smid runs in place for the next decade he’ll still be an extremely valuable player. Good for him. He’s earned it.

I’ve felt that way about Ladislav Smid since that day. The early days of his NHL career were difficult, but he didn’t ask for that, he took the challenge and did his best. He learned the back door play, he learned the physical game, he learned to be an NHL defenseman of some note.

Yesterday, Ladislav Smid was traded. The new coach wanted a more mobile group, Smid’s contract (which is reasonable) will be used elsewhere and he’ll play in the southern part of the province in his next phase. Ladislav Smid grew to a man in our town, he never gave less than his best and he blocked everything he could when it was in front of him. The highlight of his time here came in a two-season pairing with Jeff Petry, the two young men facing the world’s best because the team they played for had no better options.

And, for awhile, it was a time to shine. New days bring new ways and he’s on down the line today. Ladislav Smid is a man now, a tall tree who will be knocking the stuffing out of our guys beginning next week. I’ll swear at him, and scream ‘that was a trip!’ and will hope Edmonton can beat his Flames. I will not cheer against him though, it would be impossible.

I wish him well. All the best, Ladislav Smid. You played during this team’s darkest days, and you never quit, not one time.  Calgary’s reward is a good man and a fine hockey player. It is surely our loss.

Godspeed.

156 Responses to "SAIL ON, LIBEREC WHITE TIGER"

1. dangilitis says:

Smid should’ve been captain and we should have never brought in Ference. Or at least worn the A while Hall took the C. I recently moved to Calgary and will never go to a Flames game (unless Oilers are the opponents), but at least I’ll be able to keep track of this warrior, who will be slotted in 3-5 spot where he belongs.

Its a depressing thought when you look at a trade like this and know that Burke, even though he is a pompous jackass, would be much better for Edmonton than our current president with similar qualities.

2. Colieo87 says:

Who here is ever going to another oiler home game this season.? Well if i had to pay for tickets prob not. But if they where free I would consider them.

3. icecastles says:

Damnit LT, I rationalized and was okay with the trade until I read this. Now I miss him terribly.

Very nicely written, and a fine tribute to one of the only true warriors we had.

4. stevezie says:

I will remember him fondly.

5. cabbiesmacker says:

Colieo87:
    Who here is ever going to another oiler home game this season.?Well if i had to pay for tickets prob not.But if they where free I would consider them.

6. Factotum says:

“I will not cheer against him though, it would be impossible.

“Ladislav Smid is a good and decent man for all we hear, he played hard for the copper and blue, and I hope he finds a brighter day with his young bride.

“I wish him well. All the best, Ladislav Smid. You played during this team’s darkest days, and you never quit, not one time. Calgary’s reward is a good man and a fine hockey player. It is surely our loss.

“Godspeed.”

My feelings *exactly*. Thank you, LT. I miss him already.

7. Hammers says:

Decent player who gave his best . He will stay in Calgary a few years is my guess .

8. Rondo says:

Oilers should trade for L Smid maybe draft picks and a prospect

Oilers do need D-men

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I will not cheer against him though, it would be impossible.
    Godspeed.

Very well said.

Smid never came with the talent his draft billing should have suggested, but boy was he dogged in making something of himself.

I loved watching him score, like I love christmas… that rare yearly event where the family gets together smiles, laughs and wonders at the good things on earth.

I loved his interviews. He never once said something from the bland script, whether he was joking around or dying from frustration.

I loved watching him in the middle of lost seasons and lost games put his body on the line to try and help his team.

It’s a heartbreaker.

10. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Factotum,

Ha! you quoted the same part.

LT is magic with the words. He brings a tear to your eye about a guy he never even liked! ;)

11. icecastles says:

Most of all, I’ll miss people asking LT why he hates Smid. :)

12. Factotum says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Factotum,

Good one. He’s pretty amazing when you think about it.

13. Factotum says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

Also very well said.

14. Logan91 says:

The only thing I don’t like is how they sent him to a team who just started a rebuild. As if he didn’t go through enough crap with the Oilers and their rebuild. The guy deserved to go to a contender.

I guess that’s just how the business goes though. Hopefully he can have some success with the Flames sooner than later.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

How is Smid going to hold his head high playing for a guy with such a shitty beard?

Smid is the new Regehr.

17. CurtisS says:

Gotta ask your guys/gals opinion. Let me say this, I think this team changing coaches so often has not done any development any favours.

At what point do we consider a coaching change. Weather its deserved or not, and I’m on the latter side of it, are we thinking about it? We are on pace for 40 points.

Edit: I know this is a post for Smid the warrior. We done sir :) So delete the question if it doesnt fit the thread, dont wanna take away from Smid at all.

CurtisS:
    Gotta ask your guys/gals opinion. Let me say this, I think this team changing coaches so often has not done any development anyfavours.

Probably midway through the 2014-15 season.

19. striatic says:

Smid was my favourite Oiler player. A Warrior with many good details in his game, and such a great attitude and personality.

The Oilers do need a more mobile defense corps, though, and having a defenseman with no real offensive responsibility on your top pairing just isn’t good enough in today’s NHL. Ladi wasn’t the player for the minutes the Oilers pushed him into. I think he can be an excellent, beloved 2nd pairing guy on a contending team, kind of like Ferrence was in Boston. Unfortunately that wasn’t what the Oilers demanded of him. I think he’ll be extremely successful elsewhere, playing in the specific roles and situations where he excels.

Trading Smid doesn’t solve any immediate problems, it exacerbates them. The only way the trade makes sense from a hockey perspective is if the moderate amount of cap space he frees up allows for some superior defensive help to come back, in addition to the Bryzgalov signing.

More than any other player shipped out over the past couple years, and there have been plenty, I think Smid is the most likely to return to play in Edmonton one day. I’m glad MacT traded him to Calgary, because I really think Smid’s heart lies in Western Canada. It seems like MacT had this as a consideration and I hope it leaves the door open to his returning to Edmonton one day, hopefully to a much improved supporting cast.

20. Logan91 says:

CurtisS:

That’s exactly the problem, too many coaching changes.

Give Eakins a couple of years to teach these guys how to play the game, and rid them of the bad habits.

This is how this team has gotten into this mess, trading away players and switching coaches because Lowe panics the second something doesn’t go right. Give the team the time it deserves, with out any changes so they can mature and learn how to play the game to win.

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Probably midway through the 2014-15 season.

I might suggest earlier… but not by much.

I think he could find himself in a PV situation… he gets to finish the season, but if the team comes out flat next season, he’s on a short leash… maybe 10 games.

22. CurtisS says:

So if this team finishes 25th to 30th place (regression) he survives?

23. Thiru says:

I’m not crazy about the return on Smid, but it looks like Larsen and Belov made him expendable.

But this is how Burke cobbles together winners, isn’t it? Finds good players undervalued by other organizations and is aggressive in pursuing them.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

CurtisS:
    So if this team finishes 25th to 30thplace (regression) he survives?

Standings are a poor representation of the true talent of a team.

25. icecastles says:

CurtisS: So if this team finishes 25th to 30th place (regression) he survives?

See the previous thread. There are deep issues on this team that have been present for years and through several coaches. To bring them through it, some regression is unfortunately going to be part of it. No-one appreciated quite how much and injuries/goaltending have exacerbated it to the Nth degree, but be sure, this team is getting better in ways that will count, and that will last.

Toronto can be a good case study of the counter example – better on the surface with problematic underliers, though to own the truth I haven’t followed them closely enough to say that with confidence.

26. PaperDesigner says:

Just because this might be the last chance to participate in this fine tradition:

Lowetide, why do you hate Smid so much?

27. icecastles says:

PaperDesigner:

Lowetide, why do you hate Smid so much?

I’m terrified that before long, the answer will be “because he just shattered RNH’s ribs with a clean check.”

icecastles: See the previous thread. There are deep issues on this team that have been present for years and through several coaches.

There are not deep issues with the players. There are deep issues with management incompetence.

See my post in the previous thread.

Gagner is a soft minutes 2nd line centre. Use him appropriately. Don’t send him out with Yakupov to take on other teams top lines at home. Look at how Brent Sutter used Gagner in the Super Series. Brandon Sutter and Kyle Turris took the tough assignments, Gagner the soft. The Oiler have Nugent-Hopkins, Gordon, and should get a competent 4th line centre, and then use Gagner appropriately. But by all means start looking to develop or trade for a better replacement.

Jake Gardiner is still a 3rd pairing defensemen. Bryan Campbell played 3rd pairing for 2 season in Buffalo. Brian Rafalski had 4 years in Europe. Justin Schultz has been 2nd pairing since day 1, out of necessity, by Krueger, since he had no options, and out of error, by Eakins, who has options, but apparently oblivious to them.

Eberle has rocked and rolled at the World Juniors and the World Championships in functioning structured systems.

Taylor Hall was 2nd in the first division in scoring last year. All he needs is tweaking.

If the coach can’t work with that talent, the coach is a moron.

29. Weighting for more says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Standings are a poor representation of the true talent of a team.

Actually they are an excellent representation of the ‘True’ talent of a team. The Oilers are what their record tells us they are.

30. bookje says:

Logan91:

I think Calgary would be his number 1 choice – his girlfriend wanted to stay in edmonton.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10: It took Eakins a full training camp and nearly 20% of the season to figure out that he has to have an parallet coaching plan for Yakupov along with the one for the team. Duh!

What is your evidence for this?

All the available evidence suggests he’s treated Yak quite individually throughout the season trying to build his confidence and put him in a position to succeed.

32. Brackenburied says:

Loved this player and I wish him nothing but the best in a non-flames success kind of way.
    It could be interesting and maybe a bit of a tell to see which Oiler(s), if any, Smid may target for a rough time. I see him steamrolling N.Schultz and screaming at him “It should have been you! It should have been you!”

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Weighting for more: Actually they are an excellent representation of the ‘True’ talent of a team.The Oilers are what their record tells us they are.

You stick with that.

Romulus Apotheosis: What is your evidence for this?

Carlyle had a 3 hour erection. He didn’t even have to work for the matchup.

35. oliveoilers says:

36. Pablo Aimar says:

Weighting for more,

Or maybe you measure “true talent” via a blood test for mitichlorians or something.

This team has an awful, pathetic record. But talent isn’t a problem. Can’t trade guys like Gagner or Eberle. The coach certainly isn’t the problem. The GM is a smart cookie. The goalie will turn it around, can’t give up on him. So what is it then? Must be lots of bad luck. And the 4th line maybe. Who knew a bad 4th line could make a team so bad? Damn you Gazdic.

37. oliveoilers says:

Logan91: That’s exactly the problem, too many coaching changes.

It is not the number coaching changes, it is the rather who they brought in. Pat Q was very experienced. Tom R had some experience. Ralph had a little, mostly international. But Eakins? Sorry, being head of player development doesn’t quite equate to actually coaching at the very highest level. Especially when there where very experienced bona fide NHL coaches out there.

38. oliveoilers says:

Pablo Aimar:
    Weighting for more,

Or maybe you measure “true talent”via a blood test for mitichlorians or something.

Nice playing of the devil’s advocate, a different point of view. Let’s see who bites and revs up the outrage bus.

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10: You did watch the Toronto game, where Eakins had Gagner and Yakupov going power vs. power against the Kessel line at home at Rexall. Gagner’s 2nd game back.

Carlyle had a 3 hour erection.He didn’t even have to work for the matchup.

I sure did. That was a very poor use of Yak.

So, your argument that Eakins has been treating Yakupov in a cookie cutter fashion boils down to throwing him to the wolves in one game? Pretty soft.

40. Weighting for more says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I think we have a big enough sample size. Players who repeatedly get out shot, out chanced, and out scored might not be very good. This isn’t earth shattering stuff. This is a bad hockey team. Teams might be better or worse than their records over a short term but I’m not talking about a short term here.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

oliveoilers: That is probably one of the dumbest things one of the smartest guys on here has ever said.

To take only one example.

42. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Weighting for more: out shot, out chanced, and out scored

ahh… here’s some new points of analysis!

interesting.

Romulus Apotheosis: I sure did. That was a very poor use of Yak.

44. striatic says:

Romulus Apotheosis: So… with all the information we have to evaluate true talent of teams now… you think standings are a good way to go?

To take only one example.

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

striatic: If an indicator can be skewed by a small enough sample size, is the problem with the indicator, or with the sample size?

Why not both?

Since when is anyone here — privy to all the tools we have now and use on a daily basis — willing to rely on such a flawed model as standings?

Why restrict yourself to such a limited picture of the talent of various teams?

46. Colieo87 says:

cabbiesmacker: I have several home game tickets you’re welcome to. Started with two and put them under my wiper blade while I was in Costco. Came back an hour later and there were 5 more there.

Dear mother of God, what are you going to do.?

47. Zelepukin says:

so when is the game where Eakins matches Gagner up against a plate of nachos in the pressbox and Arco takes his rightful position at 2C?

48. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10: You did watch the game before that when Eakins matched Yakupov against Ovechkin?

He’s tried him against power. He discussed it after the game, saying he thought of it as a learning exercise for Yak, who is going to have to play against top talent if he wants to be top talent.

He has since changed his tactics constantly (and did so previously)… your argument that he’s treating Yak in some universal one-size-fits all manner is silly and is certainly not supported by a couple of games where Eakins tried him against power. That doesn’t even make sense.

49. Rondo says:

Darnell Nurse just scored another goal

50. Henry says:

Thiru:

Burke does have nice options here. Smid can give Calgary a spot they don’t have to worry about for three years while they build elsewhere.

The cynic in me can see a playoff bubble team, say Montreal or Carolina, being nicked up and thin on D at the deadline and ready to offer Edmonton a second for Nick Schultz, but instead giving Burke a first for Smid.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rondo:
    Darnell Nurse just scored another goal

PP time is really giving him a boost!

52. flyfish1168 says:

What a poor coaching move to have Nail serve Belov’s penalty. That is taking a way one of your offensive weapons even if he is struggling.

I do believe Brain Lawton’s comment has merit on Sportsnet

53. oliveoilers says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Why not both?

Why restrict yourself to such a limited picture of the talent of various teams?

I think we’re on a different wave length. Do you mean the standings at ANY GIVEN TIME? I was thinking, like, you know, after 80 games or so…..You know, when standings are a true reflection of talent*?

*talent includes, but not limited to, coaching, goals scored, goals against, corsi #s, Rel Corsi, motivation, intangibles otherwise not mentioned, number of games won, number of Bettman(TM) points, and the colour of MacT’s underwear on any given day. Limited time offer, cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer from any other league. All rights reserved.

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

flyfish1168:

I do believe Brain Lawton’s comment has merit on Sportsnet

You think Eakins should have him kill penalties?

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That Bruins shift was magic… I could watch the leaves flop around like jerks all day.

56. oliveoilers says:

Romulus Apotheosis: You think Eakins should have him kill penalties?

Lol, refreshed and didn’t read properly. Thought it said “you think Eakins should kill penalties?”

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

oliveoilers: I think we’re on a different wave length.Do you mean the standings at ANY GIVEN TIME?I was thinking, like, you know, after 80 games or so…..You know, when standings are a true reflection of talent*?

*talent includes, but not limited to, coaching, goals scored, goals against, corsi #s, Rel Corsi, motivation, intangibles otherwise not mentioned, number of games won, number of Bettman(TM) points, and the colour of MacT’s underwear on any given day.Limited time offer, cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer from any other league.All rights reserved.

I not saying standings — even with a big sample size — tell us nothing. I’m saying they tell us very little. To the point that, this is a deeply flawed statement:

A team finishing higher in the standings from one year to the next is a better team (and vice versa with lower/worse).

58. hunter1909 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: So, when we raced out to a hot start with Khabi and Cam Barker in charge… that was an accurate reflection of the true talent of the Oilers?

Hey. I’m still thinking that’s the “classic” moment of the rebuild.

Didn’t(couldn’t bear to) see much of the game, aside from the first 15 minutes, but the Oilers looked decent as anything for the first five of them. Saw the “match penalty” and well…

Half expecting an “anti bullying” NHL policy lobby soon.

59. hunter1909 says:

I’m really getting that “spring is coming” feeling from this team.

60. striatic says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Why not both?
    Why restrict yourself to such a limited picture of the talent of various teams?

Generally speaking, we should view the standings with skepticism compare to the underlying statistics.

If, as the sample size broadens, the underlying statistics are not being reflected in the standings, it is time to re-evaluate assumptions about the underlying statistics.

That said, it is still early enough in the season where the standings aren’t a good indicator of the team’s ability, let alone the best indicator.

flyfish1168:

I do believe Brain Lawton’s comment has merit on Sportsnet

Yak doesn’t kill penalties.

62. oliveoilers says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Even after 82 games… we have much more reliable and intricate ways to measure a team’s talent than standings.

Dude, if this was the case then what’s the point of Lord Stanley? Not to put his name to shitty tools, that’s for sure. That sounds like Commie leftie Canuck President’s Choice Trophy winner talk, lol. Unrealised talent is not really talent at all. That falls into ‘coulda been a contender’ and ‘seen him good’ territory. Poop or get of the pot!

63. hunter1909 says:

Hilarious hearing Eberle getting run out of town, just because he’s struggling like every other player on the team not named Cam Barker.

Dubnyk’s team-killing goaltending I’ll still wager is the root of this incredible team funk.

Dubnyk was fine last year with the larger padding, which enabled him to just stand and take hits. Unfortunately for him, Oiler fans, MacT, Eakins, and the assistant coaches Bucky+Steve he doesn’t appear to have a clue how to actually play goal.

It’s impossible to play in front of a loser who is putting up 1971 Western Conference goalie numbers.

Smid has a lot of qualities that you want in a Dman.

Unfortunately his slow decision making with the puck doomed him with the new coach and management.

They hired Ference and Belov and all 3 can’t occupy the same space 2 spaces.

Young LHD coming up will be taking the 3LD spot and neither is a true 1LD.

I think Belov is an improvement on Smid.

I’m not sure that Ference is though.

65. Romulus Apotheosis says:

oliveoilers: Dude, if this was the case then what’s the point of Lord Stanley?Not to put his name to shitty tools, that’s for sure.That sounds like Commie leftie Canuck President’s Choice Trophy winner talk, lol.Unrealised talent is not really talent at all.That falls into ‘coulda been a contender’ and ‘seen him good’ territory.Poop or get of the pot!

You are looking at this wrong.

We try to get as accurate a picture of true talent as possible so we don’t get taken in by mirages and we can make reasonable projections/predictions.

This is a completely separate matter from actual real world results, which are subject to all manner of variables.

In the same vein, good teams WILL lose games and bad teams WILL win games. This result doesn’t make the team better or worse and it doesn’t mean you should throw out whatever successful model of prediction you are using.

Or, as they say: “that’s why they play the games!” :)

66. meanashell11 says:

This trade is my biggest disappointment with this team after 2006. We spent so much time developing Laddy until he was a half decent Dman and then send him away for magic beans. Laddy is a warrior, Cup winners have these guys on the roster. We have made a huge mistake here. Reminds me of how Toronto gave up on Jason Smith.

Anyway, Laddy I hope you read this blog. You were appreciated and respected here and will be missed.

67. fifthcartel says:

Well, looks like Brossoit is backing up Bunz in OKC tonight.

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Simpson just laughed at Hughson:

Simp: at some point they (leaves) are going to have to stop getting outshot
    hugh: seems to be working
    simp: hahaha

69. TheOtherJohn says:

Wish Smid every success in balance of his career. Honest player. Consistently hard worker. Sure hope Belov doesn’t want to live in Little Odessa next year. As UFA he can choose where to play: softer competition, sleeping in own bed 6o% of nights over course of season. But I’m sure Oiler management thought that through #notreally

70. bookje says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

The answer – you are an Oilers fan.

71. FastOil says:

bookje: The question is – Why do you stand there waiting for an anvil to fall on your head 10 times?

The answer – you are an Oilers fan.

You Sir are a weakling.

72. FastOil says:

Everyone quit farting it! The season is over, relax and have some fumes.

73. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Kessy (Hunt, Miller)

74. iHockeyWpg says:

OKC Kessy, (2) (Hunt, Miller), 9:25 (PP)

Not alot of options on offense these days or Oilers dictating development strategy. Either way, good for Kessy.

75. FastOil says:

OMG!!!!!!!
    Autocorrect just improved my writing!

Yay long weekend!

76. FastOil says:

Sorry – Meant to say

Everyone quit fighting it – have some fun, the treason is over!

77. FastOil says:

Treason = bison

78. FastOil says:

Treason = Season

Grebeshkov scores in OKC, Nurse in SSM. I think both have futures with the Oilers.

80. TheOtherJohn says:

Yeah, Nurse will be playing top 4 minutes for the Oilers in 3 years

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oh, I see. Come in after they’ve changed the goal scorer and look like some fancy smart guy.

——–
    Draisaitl’s Raiders down huge… let’s see how he rates on the clutch scale?

——–
    Also, Grebs? Really?

I actually have no idea what MacT/Eakins think about him. Not a clue.

82. Romulus Apotheosis says:

FastOil:
    Treason Season

Sounds like an HBO series about Benedict Arnold.

TheOtherJohn:
    Yeah, Nurse will be playing top 4 minutes for the Oilers in 3 years

I’ll go ahead and say next year.

84. Southern Oil says:

When does Gagner’s no movement clause kick in? Wonder if the emergence of Arcobello puts some pressure on #89 – small sample size warning here.

85. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Southern Oil:
    When does Gagner’s no movement clause kick in?Wonder if the emergence of Arcobello puts some pressure on #89 – small sample size warning here.

Only in the middle year (next).

Arco puts some pressure, but not enough. If Gagner leaves, I’d expect it’s because Arco AND another player is in the mix for the Oil.

86. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: I’ll go ahead and say next year.

I’ll say +1 on that.

Romulus Apotheosis: Only in the middle year (next).

88. Romulus Apotheosis says:

PJ… you are an idiot.

89. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Potter with an assist. Nesbitt (Stretch, Potter).

I wonder where Potter currently sits on the depth chart… Larsen and Fedun have both hoped him and an LD just left… and 19 will be back soon… he’s in tight.

Can he play both sides?

90. TheOtherJohn says:

Lowetide: I’ll go ahead and say next year.

JSchultz is 4 years older how’s top 4 minutes going w him?

TheOtherJohn: Love Nurse but if he is playing top 4 minutes next year we will, again, have another shitty team

JSchultz is 4 years older how’s top 4 minutes going w him?

92. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I’m not arguing but bet you that’s the plan. The Oilers #1-2 duo is Nurse-Klefbom or Nurse-Petry. It’s a matter of time, and the process starts in the fall.

We need to make a trade with Gustafsson’s team somehow and get Nurse over there for a year.

93. Thiru says:

Well, if Nurse is dominating like they say he is and continues pushing 1+ PPG for the remainder of the season, I don’t think there’s any point in leaving him in junior for another year.

He profiles as a guy that could impact the bottom pairing next year, IMO.

94. Brackenburied says:

flyfish1168:

I do believe Brain Lawton’s comment has merit on Sportsnet

I noticed Yak yawning on the bench. Probably easier to catch a few winks in the penalty box.

95. Thiru says:

That being said, the route the Canadiens took in developing Subban would be nice. Two years in junior after being drafted, then a full season of AHL hockey.

96. TheOtherJohn says:

I do not disagree that’s the plan. It’s just a really stupid plan. But………..Oilers

Both with Nurse and Klefbom. Like both those players. Just not top 4 next year. Maybe not in 2 years. Klefbom was not even close to making the roster at training camp and is not dominating in AHL. So let’s bring them up next year and throw them out there for 22 minutes a night. That might be a plan if you had Chara and Seidenberg to play toughs on 1st pairing.we don’t.

The 22 year old J Schultz is exhibit A on why that’s a stupid plan. Last year he was real real bad in his own end.

Expect they’ll say who knew it wouldn’t work

TheOtherJohn:

Expect they’ll say who knew it wouldn’t work

One of the things we’re going to have to agree on, though, is that Klefbom as a defensive player is miles better than J Schultz. Now, we have to see this fellow in the NHL, but all indicators suggest he’s going to be plenty good defensively.

98. flyfish1168 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Yak may not kill penalties. the question is would he be worst then what is going on with our PK? But if there is a chance for a 4×4 you would want him out there. Eberle seems to have way to long a leash. Yaks masques are magnified.

flyfish1168:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

There’s zero chance they would factor that in. Yak is the right choice because he doesn’t kill penalties.

100. TheOtherJohn says:

Agree completely. Big body, very good skater. No offense anywhere but he’s ultimately auditioning for the #2 slot not the #1. Still would not play him more than 15 a night next year: kill some penalties 3rd pairing what Boston did with Hamilton last year (although they are different players)

I’ll predict 22 TOI for both next year

101. Messier11edm says:

Knowing what we do now, that it wasn’t really coaching that was the issue these past few years, would there be agreement that Renney was probably the best coach to lead this team of the past four (Quinn, Renney, Krugeur, Eakins)? Thoughts?

102. rickithebear says:

LT: Your primitive brain can see the future!
    Your hatred of Smid the Flame was justified.

103. flyfish1168 says:

He is a good choice to place in the box. Its tiring hearing the coaching staff talking about putting the player in a position to succeed. I don’t really see that happening with Yak. 1 game or maybe one period and out. Its getting ridiculous trying to get some chemistry. If anything you can lose your confidence when you see your teammates making the same mistakes and they don’t have it magnified. Its almost as bad as how we treated Magnus and how many times we were going to try him on the top 6

104. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Well, this LAK-VCR game is infinitely better hockey than anything we’ve seen from Oil-town this year.

Also… can we ban the idiots that bang on the glass and the idiots that stand and wave to the cameras?

105. Romulus Apotheosis says:

What the Hell with Kharia?

It’s been a while now, right?

106. Messier11edm says:

Would have to agree with some of the posts- the coaching staff is killing yak’s development and confidence. He should NEVER be on the fourth line! Keep him on the top 6 and for gods sake stick with the same lines at least for 5 games or so. How the heck do you build any chemistry at all with your line mates when they’re constantly changing?? ( I get u have no choice when injuries come up but they don’t have to juggle every line) This season is a goner anyway

107. G Money says:

Romulus Apotheosis: If I say, for example, there is a 20% chance that an anvil will fall on your head, that doesn’t mean an anvil won’t fall on your head. It means it WILL fall on your head 2 times out of 10.

No, that’s not correct either.

Given a 20% chance, you could wait for 10 dropping anvils and get hit 10 times. Or you could get hit 0 times.

All “20% chance” really says is that if you watch enough people in the vicinity of enough 20% anvil launches, the closer the total proportion of people hit by an anvil will tend towards 20%. That’s pretty much all.

Bookje has it right – the correct answer is it means you are an Oiler fan.

Or it means you are Tambo, MacT, and Lowe, who clearly have already suffered through multiple anvil-cranial high velocity intersective events.

108. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Great game by Bunz tonight! 34 saves on 36 shots.

All this anvil talk has me thinking WIle E Coyote.

110. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Scott Oake just said CBC is tracking “zone time” for VCR’s first line. Apparently 1:24 (or something) longer in the O-zone.

Not sure why they didn’t show a chart of the numbers.

No zone start info.. but interesting.

———-
    That Burrows goal should be good. If you can kick it in, it’s in.

I bet Meeker agrees.

111. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Houck with a goal.

112. G Money says:

All this anvil talk has me thinking WIle E Coyote.

Indeed – one pictures Wile E chasing the Roadrunner with an anvil, going off a cliff, smashing into the ground, and the subsequent anvil landing adding the denouement. An Oiler logo on that mutt makes it a perfect representation of reality …

Say, wasn’t Gretzky’s team before the Oilers the Indianapolis Roadrunners? Maybe it’s all Wayne’s fault.

113. Doomoil says:

Messier11edm:
    Would have to agree with some of the posts- the coaching staff is killing yak’s development and confidence. He should NEVER be on the fourth line! Keep him on the top 6 and for gods sake stick with the same lines at least for 5 games or so. How the heck do you build any chemistry at all with your line mates when they’re constantly changing?? ( I get u have no choice when injuries come up but they don’t have to juggle every line)This season is a goner anyway

+/- is a pretty awful stat, but Yak has about a true minus as possible.

He played with smyth and a real center for the majority of his shifts tonight.

114. nycoil says:

G Money: Indeed – one pictures Wile E chasing the Roadrunner with an anvil, going off a cliff, smashing into the ground, and the subsequent anvil landing adding the denouement.An Oiler logo on that mutt makes it a perfect representation of reality …

Say, wasn’t Gretzky’s team before the Oilers the Indianapolis Roadrunners?Maybe it’s all Wayne’s fault.

Racers.
    Well we are gonna need our typical game vs the Hawks to salvage the road trip. Can Gagner do it again?

115. jb says:

Lowetide: Lowetide

I’ll take that bet as well. I think we see Nurse replace Nick Shultz next year. MacT surely knows this team will fail without a #1-2 vet added though. Oh look, capspace!

116. Romulus Apotheosis says:

WOW!!!

5-1 Kings…

117. Romulus Apotheosis says:

They should give EDM some kind of handicap for playing in this damn division.

118. G Money says:

nycoil: Racers.

Oh yeah. Dammit! If only there was a website that one could go to to type a few search phrases into and it would pull up that kind of information. I’d never make such a simple mistake again.

… the *Edmonton* Road Runners, the AHL franchise back about 10 years ago. Seems appropriate, between anvils, Phoenix Coyotes and Edmonton Roadrunners, NHL, AHL, so many applicable interpretations to that story line …

119. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    WOW!!!

5-1 Kings…

120. snowman says:

Ladislav Smid deserved better than his time here. It’s a rare player who will sacrifice night in and night out for the name on the front of the jersey even when losing, even when everyone else had quit. I hope he finds his way to the cup someday. Too bad it wasn’t here.

Godspeed indeed.

121. Romulus Apotheosis says:

G Money,

The Edmonton Turnstiles? Pylons?

122. kinger_OIL says:

Holey F@ck guys: I promised I was done untill the off season but hello! Trading Smid for barely nuthin; is “tank 101″. I can’t believe not one word on this. My goodness the fan base is clueless. Anyone I talk to in the NHL says this is the white flag. You don’t trade away NHL players for prospects unless you are tanking? Hello?! We are a lottery team, and MacT knows it. All the articles from the Oil press are feeding stories. Step back folks. .500 for rest of year equals lottery. F@ck is this web site of supplicants, despite protests to the contrary about how smart you think you are. In 3 months there will be plenty of articles on our draft, but for now, there is no recognition of what this trade was: to ensure that the OIL are lottery again. I am done with this team, but I need to point out what no one here admits, but the rest of the league knows. Why can’t there be one article that might suggest that trading away a bone fide NHL’er for non bone fide NHL’ers = tank. This was’t a panic trade or that Smid wasn’t a puck handler: its a tank, and not one article on it. Instead of writing articles on the merit of the trade: ask players in the league: they know this is tank 101: supplicants god damn you. And lowetide, how dare you not even suggest or explore this is a tank…. This team is lottery: book it.

123. Bruce McCurdy says:

Brackenburied: I don’t like the Oilers chances against either of these teams. Big, fast, skilled, and big.

124. Doomoil says:

Thank god you came out of retirement to post that block of text.

PHEW!

125. Brackenburied says:

Bruce McCurdy: Oil have played one game each against these two so far. Total shots: Bad Guys 92, Oilers 41.

Eakins post game talked a lot about being outmuscled. I see that being a theme against these guys.

126. Weighting for more says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    They should give EDM some kind of handicap for playing in this damn division.

Reminds me of something I heard Randy Ferbey say once. If you look at the schedule and don’t see the easy game then you are probably it.

kinger_OIL:
    Holey F@ck guys: I promised I was done untill the off season but hello! Trading Smid for barely nuthin; is “tank 101″.I can’t believe not one word on this.My goodness the fan base is clueless.Anyone I talk to in the NHL says this is the white flag.You don’t trade away NHL players for prospects unless you are tanking?Hello?!We are a lottery team, and MacT knows it.All the articles from the Oil pressare feeding stories.Step back folks..500 for rest of year equals lottery.F@ck is this web site of supplicants, despite protests to the contrary about how smart you think you are.In 3 months there will be plenty of articles on our draft, but for now, there is no recognition of what this trade was:to ensure that the OIL are lottery again.I am done with this team, but I need to point out what no one here admits, but the rest of the league knows.Why can’t there be one article that might suggest that trading away a bone fide NHL’er for non bone fide NHL’ers = tank. This was’t a panic trade or that Smid wasn’t a puck handler: its a tank, and not one article on it.Instead of writing articles on the merit of the trade: ask players in the league: they know this is tank 101: supplicants god damn you.And lowetide, how dare you not even suggest or explore this is a tank…. This team is lottery: book it.

Years of tanking is one of the reasons our talent doesn’t reach the potential we think they should have.

127. cabbiesmacker says:

Well you got it half right Olive

128. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“swaggerjack”

ummm… no thanks, bros.

129. spoiler says:

Lowetide: The problem with Arcobello is that you’d have to see this for 150 games. I like him fine, but will he get hurt? Can he sustain the offense? You can’t trade Gagner and replace him with Arcobello until you know, and that’s spring 2015.

Arcobello is 25. He is what he is. No way it takes any hockey professional–scout, coach or GM–150 game to figure out what he is. Especially without the puck. If he is playing with any sort of talent, he’s going to get his points. The brains and vision are blatantly obvious to all. They’ve been watching him in OKC for a full season. One season should be enough to know.

My scouting report is that Gagner has a little higher end offensively, but is poorer in every other area. He’s getting paid like he has two way ability that he doesn’t have. Again, I’m going to suspend judgement till he is un-Baned… but he has a long history defensive failure to overcome. Not to mention face-offs. I like his intangibles and his leadership, but I need to see commitment to defense. He needs it to best Arco.

130. Numenius says:

One thing in the Oilers’ defence for the game today: They’d just found out they’d lost their Smid the night before.

If it’s hard for us to lose him, it can’t have been easy on them.

They’re human too.

131. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Sage advice from PJ: Van needs more Sestito and Kassian needs to step up.

132. Numenius says:

kinger_OIL,

I disagree. Not trying to fix the goalie situation now would be tanking.

McT wants to get these guys used to winning at least a little bit in preparation for next year, and tanking would defeat that purpose.

133. Brackenburied says:

Natalie Wood/Rebel Without a Cause on PBS. Man, she was smokin’.

134. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Brackenburied:
    Natalie Wood/Rebel Without a Cause on PBS. Man, she was smokin’.

Apparently Ray had a thing with her. One eyed jerk.

135. DeadmanWaking says:

I still remember the phrase “running in place” from the original post.

Bottled 60 bottles of wine today. One is a 15 or 16% Amarone fermented on skins. Too smooth. I like my Amarones to jaw a bit after the whistle.

My brand new Italian corker was a total disaster. I had the game on the radio while I was sanitizing corks and bottles–except when I couldn’t bear to listen. The corker disaster came later. The chrome plated jaws are peeling a thin strip off the cork at 6 o’clock, at the tip of the jaw that is fixed in place (the other three slide as part of the iris).

After corking, the wine is under fairly high pressure (depends on ullage, but generally two atmospheres). Inverting the wine bottle right after corking shows leaks. Droplets of wine appears afterward. After a few days the over-pressure dissipates normally through very slow leaks. This is a test for fast leaks. I had some leakers where the corker was peeling a strip.

The nylon jaws in my used Portuguese corker are a bit worn and leave grooves in the softer Nomacorcs (the best cork for holding kit wines three to four years). I can’t use real cork because my cellar is not set up for horizontal storage.

Was supposed to bottle another two batches today, but with the corker problems things went slower.

The Nebbiolo is my official playoff wine. See, this is why I need the best possible corking solution. It could be in my cellar for years to come. That’s next up for bottling. Nebbiolo is unique in turning slightly orange in the bottle when mature (though probably not with a kit wine). It’s the thought that counts.

I’m a bit smashed right now. Had an extra half liter I had to self bottle. Had to, you know? After no push back and no Smid.

I can still send the Italian corker packing. That was a condition of sale. Or, I can grind the jaw element, but this voids my return option. Hobbies are such stupid things.

136. Weighting for more says:

Numenius,

Did they need to trade Smid to sign Bryz?

137. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Apparently Ray had a thing with her. One eyed jerk.

The old casting couch, eh. He must have been quite a bit older than her.

138. spoiler says:

I’m going to miss Smid desperately. Heart on his sleeve, eye of a tiger, Oiler crest tattooed on his chest. He served the jersey well. Sail on, Ladi, sail on by…. you were bridge over troubled water.

There is no doubt that this is a move made with an eye toward long term balance, not short term need.

I really like Horak, who probably would be racking up NHL games right now if Monahan hadn’t made the Flamers. If Gordon was to go down for a stretch (including next season), we would be bemoaning the lack of this kind of player in the org.

He’s a step or two ahead of Lander in his development and will be a better player than Acton in short work, if not already. And he gives us centre depth… we would have been happy to have had him in the org last year.

The Oilers have been huge on Brossoit for a long time and always love goalies with big game experience. We lose Roy, but his future is evaporating, while Brossoit’s is still kissed by morning dew. IMO Brossoit has the better upside right now.

Klefbom is probably the player that made Smid expendable since they are very similar players–mobile, physical, defensive blueliners, with the caveat that Klef should end up a better puck carrier and mover. Eventually.

But that’s little comfort for a team trying to play itself out of a fugue composed by Bach’s evil Oiler-hating twin. Bryz is a low risk bet to help, and the goalie position is exactly where the help is needed, along with some seriously good health for all.

139. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Brackenburied: The old casting couch, eh. He must have been quite a bit older than her.

not sure about that… Ray wasn’t in a position to advance her career much (he wasn’t Zanuck or anything).

he was a bit all over the place though:

140. Numenius says:

Weighting for more:

Did they need to trade Smid to sign Bryz?

That’s the big question. The deal with Bryz was conditional on the Smid deal, so that suggests they did have to trade him.

We’d need someone who knows the numbers better to say for sure, though. My uneducated sense is that they may have been able to squeak Bryz in, but that it would have made everything too tight for comfort, especially for the chances of any future deal or for moving people up and down from OKC.

141. Gret99zky says:

KLowe: What’s up chief? You look down.

Katz: Hey Champ, listen I need to extend this rebuild a couple more years so the arena can be built.

KLowe: No problem. I’ll just tell Mac to hire an AHL coach.

Katz: Do it.

142. Hammers says:

Seems many comments on Belov was that he may go to OKL or good enough to maybe be a 6-7 . He proved week after week he was as good as McT thought .Also part of the reason Smid is gone. McT also wanted to give Arco a real chance and after nearly 25% of the season he has shown why McT has confidence in him . As for injuries Gags has missed games every year as has Hall so injuries shouldn’t be included . As for sustaining his scoring if Eakins plays him with 2 good wingers like Gags is getting he will . Maybe you should broaden this to a 200′ game & faceoffs ??? If I was Eakins Arco would be center with Hall & Hemsky not Gags . Just think the kid has shown his worth .Play Gags with Yak & Joensuu. Gordon Smyth & Jones for 4th .

143. Numenius says:

Gret99zky:
    KLowe:What’s up chief?You look down.

Katz:Hey Champ, listen I need to extend this rebuild a couple more years so the arena can be built.

KLowe:No problem.I’ll just tell Mac to hire an AHL coach.

Katz:Do it.

144. Gret99zky says:

Therefore the team cannot make meaningful improvements to the product to effectively fulfill that mandate.

We wait.

They’re not going to qualify this year.

Nor next year, IMO.

145. striatic says:

Gret99zky: Some believe that the Oilers will not play even one playoff game until the new arena is build and ready to go.

I’ve heard this theory repeatedly. What is the reasoning behind it?

146. Ribs says:

spoiler: Arcobello is 25. He is what he is.No way it takes any hockey professional–scout, coach or GM–150 game to figure out what he is. Especially without the puck. If he is playing with any sort of talent, he’s going to get his points.The brains and vision are blatantly obvious to all.They’ve been watching him in OKC for a full season. One season should be enough to know.

My scouting report is that Gagner has a little higher end offensively, but is poorer in every other area.He’s getting paid like he has two way ability that he doesn’t have. Again, I’m going to suspend judgement till he is un-Baned… but he has a long history defensive failure to overcome. Not to mention face-offs.I like his intangibles and his leadership, but I need to see commitment to defense.He needs it to best Arco.

I’m not the biggest Gagner fan these days (especially at center), but I can at least acknowledge his worth. He’s a guy that really wants to play here and that has above average abilities. If you want to replace him? Find someone better than him to do it.

147. Ribs says:

DeadmanWaking: Hobbies are such stupid things.

148. Brackenburied says:

Ribs: .

?

Brackenburied:
    Natalie Wood/Rebel Without a Cause on PBS. Man, she was smokin’.

150. Brackenburied says:

Brackenburied: I do be

Words to live by.

151. Brackenburied says:

Lowetide: All these decades later, even though you know she’s going to walk in the room because you’ve seen it a dozen times, she’s still incredible.

The indescribables seemed a a tad pointier in that era. And I’m quite ok with that.

152. bookje says:

Numenius: What does continuing to suck have to do with getting the arena built? I don’t get it.

There is no logic to it at all. It’s the typical kind of thing conspiracy theorists come up with.

153. bookje says:

Last years Oilers did much better – why?

154. gcw_rocks says:

I keep reading people justifying trading Smid in order to free up cap space to sign bryzgalov. Unless they are paying bryz stupid money that just doesn’t hold water. A quick trip over to capgeek shows that.

155. spoiler says:

Ribs: Oh hell. I am going to cheer for Arcobello because he’s the underdog, but it is clear folly to expect the same out of him that you would expect out of Gagner. He’s a year older and has 247 less NHL points to show for it. One season of AHL production should be enough to know? That’s just horrible assessment. Arcobello came fourth in league points in 12-13 and you probably wouldn’t even know most of the guys ahead of him (Brandon Pirri #1).

No… one season of AHL and one season of NHL. And as I’ve said, thus far he looks clearly better without the puck. If we have a season where Arco adds more than he leaves, than we have found someone better to do Gagner’s job. And I did and have acknowledged Gagner’s worth on several occasions, so I have no idea what you are referring to with that line.

156. Ribs says:

spoiler: No… one season of AHL and one season of NHL.And as I’ve said, thus far he looks clearly better without the puck.If we have a season where Arco adds more than he leaves, than we have found someone better to do Gagner’s job. And I did and have acknowledged Gagner’s worth on several occasions, so I have no idea what you are referring to with that line.

Sorry for that. I re-read that this morning and realized how I had mistaken you. I thought you were talking about the AHL season only. I blame the beers. Those bastards.

A full NHL season should indeed paint a better picture. It looks like he’s here to stay for the year, so I guess we’ll see how it goes!

Brackenburied: ?

Just wanted to agree that it was a good “point” ;) The amount of time and energy we spend on a hobby like following a sports team (especially this one) can be incredibly silly yet somehow it always seems worthwhile!