SMID TRADED TO CALGARY

The Edmonton Oilers have traded veteran defender Ladislav Smid and G prospect Olivier Roy to Calgary for forward Roman Horak and G Laurent Brossoit.

CALGARY GETS

1. An veteran NHL defenseman. Smid’s struggled this season and moved down the depth chart from time to time, but is certainly a capable veteran and can play heavy minutes at evens and the powerplay. This is a player of value.
  2. A reasonable prospect in Roy. I don’t think you can evaluate him beyond the fact that he’s still a prospect and will need to play another 100 or so games before anyone knows if he can elevate to the NHL. He is a prospect of note.

EDMONTON GETS

1. Roman Horak via Flames Nation: Horak is destined to play the role of a 3rd or 4th line pivot, and if given the opportunity to do so, can be quite effective at it. Taking most of his draws in the defensive zone – with far more ice time than he’s been given in the past, no less – it’s apparent the coaching staff is trying to carve out his niche as a two way forward. Certainly the Flames have relied on him in defensively heavier assignments, and for better or worse, he’s taken the opportunity and ran with it.
  2. Laurent Brossoit: Oil King fans will know him well, he backstopped the junior Edmonton team to the WHL championship two years ago and came close again in the spring. He’s highly regarded in many prospect circles and was top ten in save percentage in each of the last two seasons in the WHL.

MY TAKE

I expect this has to do with the development of Belov and the struggles in goal. I believe Edmonton will add a goalie tomorrow.

bryz

121 Responses to "SMID TRADED TO CALGARY"

1. Nostradumbass says:

For The OilKing goalin and Horak…

Must have decided that Fedun and Larsen cover and are cheaper…

Must be also a prelude as it frees up cash..Bryz time?

2. Logan91 says:

WHAT!?

3. stevezie says:

This is not what I expected.

4. Ribs says:

Umm…Say what now?

5. "Steve Smith" says:

Bummer. I like Smid, though his season’s been no screaming hell so far.

6. bookje says:

LT’s prophecy is coming true – expect a 3 for 1 any minute now!

7. wordbird says:

Bah. Anyone want a slightly-used Oilers #5 jersey?

8. Lucinius says:

……………………………………………………………………

I hate the Oilers.

They traded one of my favourite players to the bloody FLAMES. The FLAMES!

I think they broke my brain.

I cannot compute how horrible this trade is.

9. fifthcartel says:

I actually like it. Jeff must be happy.

10. Brackenburied says:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

11. "Steve Smith" says:

Nostradumbass: Must be also a prelude as it frees up cash..Bryz time?

Ryan Whitney’s on waivers – just throwing that out there.

12. Ribs says:

How does Nick Schultz outlast Smid on this team?

13. OilClog says:

What in the fu… What in the fu.. What the hell man?!? The flames?!? What the good gord is happening.

14. Gret99zky says:

LT will like it.

Always hated Smid.

;)

15. russ99 says:

Wow. Awful deal.

That’s all you can get for Ladi Smid on a lower than market value contract? We could have signed someone like Horak instead of getting facepunchers before the season started. Brossoit looks like Dubnyk 3 years ago.

Burke hosed us, yet again. We dump Smid for peanuts because we couldn’t draft this exact type of players the last few years.

The only way this makes sense is to clear cap room and a contract for the big deal to come.

16. OilClog says:

Does this mean Giroux is an Oiler?

17. leadfarmer says:

Smartest man in the room. I guess?

18. OilClog says:

THE FREAKING FLAMES!?! of all the teams to trade Ladi too.. Jeebus

19. bookje says:

Gret99zky:
    LT will like it.

Always hated Smid.

“Why do you hate Smid” goes to run and play on the farm with “hockey Jesus” and othe LT site memes.

20. gangplank says:

what do we need this cap space for?
    I hate this trade. Smid wasnt playing well this season but he is a good defenseman and on a cap friendly deal

21. lawrenharris says:

This is the most they could get for heart-and-soul Ladi – an ECHL goalie and a Flames 22nd wheel? I loved Smid, I hate Oilers.

22. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

With almost 6M in cap space already, what is the extra 3.5 needed for? Certainly not for Bryz.

Rangers and Flyers have their share of bad contracts I suppose but I’m anxiously waiting for the other shoe to drop. If this was just to drop Smid for cap space then one would think there was a better destination than that.

23. gangplank says:

this has to be a precursor to something else

24. Logan91 says:

russ99:
    Wow. Awful deal.

That’s all you can get for Ladi Smid on a lower than market value contract? We could have signed someone like Horak instead of getting facepunchers before the season started.Brossoit looks like Dubnyk 3 years ago.

Burke hosed us, yet again. We dump Smid for peanuts because we couldn’t draft this exact group of players that’s few years.

Brossoit is actually really good. I like this trade, just so weird that its with Calgary.

Get rid of Roy and clear up cap space for a decent centre and a skilled goalie prospect.

25. Lucinius says:

I just can’t get over this. This is such a bad deal it boggles my mind. And to the Calgary Flames no less!

MacT just proved he’s not nearly as smart as he, or anyone else, may have thought.

Smid has struggled this year. But he’s not even in the bottom four defensemen on the Oilers. And we sent him away without getting a D back, when a lack of good, solid defensive D-men is one of the black holes on this team?

I’ll be blunt; I’m very close to losing patience with this befuddled, inept team.

26. stevezie says:

Bohologo,

No. They are indisputably worse. The prospects aren’t even that good. Smid isn’t so good he is irreplaceable, but he is better than his in-house replacement.

This only makes sense as Part One of something, but even then…

27. bookje says:

Oh my – is this team really better minus Smid and plus Bryzgalov?

MacT should have got more for him.

28. OilClog says:

gangplank:
    this has to be a precursor to something else

Yea, Nick Schultz stepping up.. Weeee Oilers

29. striatic says:

Ribs:
    How does Nick Schultz outlast Smid on this team?

Nobody wants to exchange anything for N. Schultz, except peanuts.

Say what you will about Brossoit and Horak being non-roster players, but they are both well regarded, young prospects, and better than getting mid or late round draft picks coming back, which is what Schultz would have gotten you at best.

30. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

Surely Bryz wouldn’t be asking for much more than a mil. Don’t see how this move would be connected.

Having Bryz would take the heat off of pretty much every other Oiler though.

31. Rondo says:

Kevin Lowe for Mayor of Toronto

32. stevezie says:

OilClog:
    Does this mean Giroux is an Oiler?

We had him already. Lit up the farm but couldn’t crack the bigs.

We didn’t even lose a contract. I am not super pumped.

33. fifthcartel says:

I’m gonna say we see all the moves before judging but that isn’t much to give Smid up to a rival…

34. russ99 says:

Logan91,

Read his scouting reports. Big net filler, prone to a softie.

Still, he’s a lot better that what we have anywhere in the system.

Just that we could have gotten better/more from Smid and the whole Oil King thing completely rubs me the wrong way. Like our WHA operation knows more about players than actual good NHL/Amateur pro scouts.

35. spoiler says:

I said it on Monday when we got the Alyssa Milano pic… Expect Smid to be traded within the week.

36. BlacqueJacque says:

Heh, and you guys thought I was having a meltdown when I gave up.

The Oilers are clearly making cap room. I suspect something like a $6-8m salary coming their way. Possibly Lundqvist.

But you can trade Ladislav Smid to 28 teams other than Calgary, and 23 teams not in our division, if you want cap room and scraps coming back.

Good luck, guys. My attention is across the pond right now, looking forward to Arsenal cementing their grip on the EPL lead on Sunday.

37. lawrenharris says:

And if the comeback is how good they saw Broissoit as an Oil King, I respond by reminding people what hot shit Olivier Roy was as a novice.

38. bookje says:

stevezie: We had him already. Lit up the farm but couldn’t crack the bigs.

We didn’t even lose a contract. I am not super pumped.

I believe you are confusing players.

39. leadfarmer says:

Smartest man in the room, I guess.

Can Mr. Dithers come back yet.

40. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

… bracing for a horrifically bold contract for Bryzgalov now…. brutal if that’s the case.

41. OilClog says:

I want to punish Alyssa Milano for this blasphemy.. Freaking Calgary.. Crazy Train

Article updated to add.

43. gr8one says:

I personally don’t hate this trade…I think we maybe overvalue Smid a bit.

That being said, I loved him as an Oiler and it’s going to hurt seeing him with that ugly assed flaming C on his chest.

Sail on Frydlant Fireball, Sail on.

44. russ99 says:

BlacqueJacque,

Heck yeah. Up the Arsenal. Beating Man U will be the corner they need to turn to become elite, IMO.

I hope we get much better value on the Eberle/Hemsky or (please god no) Yak trade.

45. bookje says:

46. gr8one says:

So by the sounds of that bio on Horak I wonder if this means they’ve given up on Lander or perhaps Lander will be involved in another deal?

47. Logan91 says:

russ99,

Honestly, how old do you think those scouting reports are?

He was amazing for the Oil Kings.

48. Clarence Oveur says:

I really don’t know what to say.

I hope MacT knows what he’s doing, because I’m confused as all hell.

49. Ben says:

I don’t like any of this shit – but they MUST GET BRYZ IN TIME TO START IN PHILLY TOMORROW.

Bread and circuses.

50. OilClog says:

I sure hope Smid is sensitive to our guys when he meets them in the corners..

51. leadfarmer says:

How has Bryz been in the KHL?

52. striatic says:

Logan91: He was amazing for the Oil Kings.

Brossoit is good. Scouting report may have been from his draft year, after which he took major steps forward.

Years away though, if he ever makes it.

53. Lucinius says:

bookje,

Still retardation at its finest.

54. FPB94 says:

The emperor has no clothes.

55. boxman says:

Eberle for Giroux, Giroux + for Subban. budaboom!!

56. bookje says:

The return is a bit better than I initially thought.

57. PunjabiOil says:

Brossoit’s numbers suck, especially for a 19 year old. Jarry put up better numbers than him, and by a significant margin.

Horak is best case a 4th liner. Best case.

This deal does nothing. It’s silly to sign a guy who has value (4th dman, can kill penalties) for essentially nothing. Turning a somewhat useful asset into nothing.

I don’t get this at all.

58. jake70 says:

bookje:
    Smid signed here because he wanted to be in Edmonton to be around his girlfriends family .Calgary may have been MacT being sensitive to that.

Yeah I thought of that too…….and remember, Smyth was ready to go to Calgary had the deal with LA not worked out, for family reasons.

59. russ99 says:

Uh oh. The Bryz rumor mill is really heating up…

Please don’t overpay him, MacT.

I have to say if this is true, I applaud it. This goalie issue couldn’t have gone on much longer.

Also, the Habs really stuck it to us with the Fucale pick. I have to think that this deal was at least partially caused by that.

60. Truth says:

Seems like Broissoit is exactly the player Roy was at that age.

Ladi was one of the few Oiler D willing to pay the price.

Horrible trade, I don’t care if it’s a precursor to something else. Absolutely horrible if it’s a precursor to Bryzgalov signing in Edmonton. Philly is paying him $23 M to NOT play there.

61. Bails14 says:

Aaron ward is tweeting Bryz to Oil…5:14 pm local time

62. OilClog says:

Bryz has signed

63. Logan91 says:

Hahaha go to the article on the Flames site and read the comments on it. Everyone there is saying how horrible of a trade it was for the Calgary.

64. Derek says:

Roman Horak last year for the flames. Hardest zone start on the team, positive numbers. .5 PPG player in the AHL. 22 year old 2 way C prospect. Odd considering the team already had Gordon, maybe they think he has the potential to put up better numbers offensively with quality wingers?

I’m quite ignorant to Broissoit but I thought he was fantastic for the Oil Kings? Isn’t he considered a lock for the Canadian World Jr team?

Poor Ladi.

65. misfit says:

Small sample size, but Horak is a big orange dot on the far right of the Vollman this year.

He did pretty well during tough sledding last year in the shortened season and was right in between the year before. Decent sized 4th line C when he’s playing well.

But the prize here is the former Oil King despite struggling in his only 2 AHL starts (but has yet to allow a goal against in 3 games in the ECHL).

But as much as I like Brosssoit, I’m shocked we got so little for Smid. Roy is a meaningless throw-in as far as I’m concerned (which now guarantees him to become a 10 year NHL #1)

66. leadfarmer says:

Not Bryz. Cmon. Curtis Sanford is putting up better numbers.

67. BlacqueJacque says:

russ99,

Think van Persie is sad that he left Emirates? If he isn’t yet, chances are he will be come Sunday. Imagine van Persie having the passing and support of Ozil, Ramsey, and now Flamini.

68. russ99 says:

Also some rumblings that we may be in on Kulikov.

As long as the return isn’t Marincin, that would be a nice upgrade from Smid.

69. Clarence Oveur says:

F*CK OFF, MACT.

70. OilClog says:

Ebs, Dubnyk, Nultz

Giroux, Coburn, Emery

It would be hilarious.

Bryzgalov article up, we may not be done.

72. BlacqueJacque says:

LOL Bryzgalov.

Oh man, I’m so glad I cut strings with the team. I’d be furious.

Edmonton (a notoriously high-pressure town) signs a goalie who crumbles under pressure, a goalie that the Oilers themselves exposed in their last playoff run, and who hasn’t done shit since he left the sheltered confines of Phoenix.

73. russ99 says:

BlacqueJacque,

I hope we punk that Dutch &$@$&. :)

As much as some say the Gunners are better off for selling Van Persie and Fabregas, I’d still prefer them with Arsenal.

Anyway, enough footy. What other defensemen can we fit under the cap after Bryz signs? And what are we doing with Dubnyk? AHL?

74. Clarence Oveur says:

Why am I still an Oilers fan?

I need help.

75. stevezie says:

bookje: I believe you are confusing players.

Well yeah, but obviously, non? Am I that believable as an idiot?

76. Truth says:

BlacqueJacque:
    LOL Bryzgalov.

Oh man, I’m so glad I cut strings with the team.I’d be furious.

This needs to be shown twice. My thoughts exactly except I haven’t cut ties with the Oilers, yet.

77. stevezie says:

bookje: Smid signed here because he wanted to be in Edmonton to be around his girlfriends family . Calgary may have been MacT being sensitive to that.

If so I respect that. A GM will accumulate a reputation.

78. SK Oiler Fan says:

wow. bryz signing to follow. Haven’t decided if that’d bold or stupid yet. Depends on the contract I guess. Impatient man is right The anti Lowbalini.
    The loss of Smid will not be as critical as most think. IMO he was overrated by most in these parts because he was unique. They have multiple candidates to replace him within the next year.
    Was impressed with Horak in limited viewings. Man they fall in love with guys that they get to see play alot (Broissant sp?)

79. stevezie says:

russ99: Also some rumblings that we may be in on Kulikov.

As long as the return isn’t Marincin, that would be a nice upgrade from Smid.

You wou;dn’t make that deal? I would give Marincin +

80. Cameron says:

Before you Oiler fans all jump into a frozen pond in despair.

- Horak is a very useful centre who was logjammed by the Flames aquisitions at C (Monahan, Jooris, Knight, etc.). He is light on offense, but plays a 200ft game, can take face-offs, and is defensively responsible. Maxes out as a 3rd line C who can sub at #2C for short periods.

- Brossoit was one of the guys Feaster stole late in the draft. He’s a gem, and from scouting reports is more highly regarded than Roy. If nothing else, you guys are getting the better tender prospect.

- Smid is a pretty bland D-man on a very nice contract. He’s good, but not great.

All said, this addresses two Oilers weaknesses (Goaltending prospects, and Centre depth), at the expense of making the gaping wounds on defense look that much more serious.

Nobody in Calgary is jumping for joy about this deal, especially because Brossoit was highly regarded.

81. lawrenharris says:

On the other hand, if Arsenal lose on Sunday I will be REALLY depressed.

82. fifthcartel says:

Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 19s

Oilers are crazy for Wayne Simmonds. I believe they would move a smaller right winger – Eberle or Yakupov – to acquire.

…. oh god..

83. Hammers says:

My last night post was no trade so there would be one ( the old jinx ) and I’m not surprised . Been saying all along Smid was the only one we would get something back for .N. Schultz will get you a 3rd rounder .I really don’t care who we trade with if there is a good deal there . Right now we won on the goalie part of the trade and Horak will be better than Acton but Smid is an established “D” man who I liked . Do we have better coming up ? Yes Klef , Marinchin & Nurse so he was going sooner rather than later .It also means Fedun & Larsen will be 5-6-7 for awhile or part of another trade .As for this year we need another top 2 or 3 “D” so hopefully its in the works .

84. RexLibris says:

Brossoit is a good pickup, and Horak is a better option than Acton, so there is that.

But Smid? Man, that hurts. Last vestiges of Pronger trade except Eberle, iirc.

I lived long enough to witness TWO Calgary Edmonton trades. Who would’ve thunk it?

And now Bryzgalov?

Have we jumped the shark?

85. VanOil says:

RexLibris:
    Have we jumped the shark?

Shark Jumped, Soup Made.

86. Captain Smarmy says:

I feel confident in saying this is one former Oiler that won’t score on us every game. Even if he did it would be funny.

87. magisterrex says:

Excellent trade. Smid is used to losing, and will help Calgary do the same during their rebuild.

88. wordbird says:

Tonight will likely end with all 6 of the team’s starting D injured in some sort of human pyramid gone awry. Because Oilers.

89. theres oil in virginia says:

I hate myself for even thinking this, but:

Nick Schultz has been the better (than Smid) defenseman this year. He’s almost looking like a good defenseman.

Smid looked like he was moving the puck well yesterday.

90. TartanArmy says:

I’m not sure what to make of this…..time to break out the Scotch.

91. LMHF#1 says:

What’s the consensus on Brossoit? I really didn’t like him any time he faced a good team.

92. fuzzy muppet says:

Simmonds to EDM for Hemmer and 2nd rounder…

LOVE IT

93. fuzzy muppet says:

nevermind….fake account

94. G Money says:

FFS.

95. Jon K says:

The one month where LT doesn’t trade away Smid it ends up he gets traded. Figures. I’m sad for Smid, as he was one of the players quoted last week as saying the team needed to shape up or guys would start getting traded. He was right.

In the end, I think Belov took Smid’s spot. Defensively they are a saw off and Belov moves the puck much more effectively.

As a player and person I’m sad to see Smid go. As a component of the team, I’m not particularly upset. He’s not physical enough to be considered a substantial asset in that respect, and his puck moving ability was a significant negative. MacT has harped about the ability to move the puck quickly from the back end and Smid is a victim of that policy.

I don’t think we get much in Brossoit. I think his upside is as an NHL backup, maybe. I do like Horak. If we accept that the Oilers have given up on Roy (which they should), this trade really is a 4-5 defensive D and failed G prospect for a decent 3-4 C prospect and a decent G prospect who might make the NHL.

In the end the trade was ultimately made to make cap space for Bryz, which is a dubious endeavor in itself but I can understand the motivation.

The real upside, in my opinion, is that the move makes space for Larsen and Fedun now, and Marincin, Nurse, and Klefbom next year. I do note that we don’t have many guys signed for next season on D. Perhaps another move to come?

96. denny33 says:

bookje,

That is a Big understatement……

The league is laughing……

97. uni says:

Someone explain to me how salary dumping Smid for two replacement level prospects makes any sense when Nick Schultz and his expiring 3.5 million dollar cap hit are still on the team.

98. Nuckout says:

Remember the Smid post game interview after the Det game? Yeah, I do too. He said something along the lines of “Things are going to get uncomfortable in here, and guys are going to start getting traded.”

Of course, I paraphrase. I suspect Smid wanted out, and he wasn’t buying in 100% to EakinsLife.

Why Calgary? Why a 3rd line centre who’s 170lb soaking wet? Was this the best they could do?? Isn’t Burke with Calgary now? He must be busting a gut at Lowe right now.

I don’t get it. At. All. One. Bit.

However, Bryz. All the haters say what you want, he’s going to do some nice things here. Why you heff to be mad?

99. denny33 says:

Horak – At best 4th liner that could not crack the flames….

Imagine not being able to crack the Flames lineup……WOW!!

I wonder if Flame scouts had him pencilled as a AHL player…..

100. theres oil in virginia says:

uni:

It may be because his (SchultzO’s) contract is expiring that he’s still on the team. Take a glance at the defensemen in the pipeline. Where was Smid going to fit when those guys arrive? When does Marincin get a shot in the bigs? Next year? Klefbom? Nurse? Fedun looks like an NHLer. So does Larson, albeit in small samples for those two. What’s Belov’s future with the Oilers? With so much $$ and term in the Ference contract, how can you afford Smid on the third pairing?

101. uni says:

theres oil in virginia,

You hold onto a guy like Smid until the offseason then and get something good for him. You don’t dump a top 4 defenseman signed for his prime years at a below market value contract for 2 replacement level prospects.

102. uni says:

VanOil: Shark Jumped, Soup Made.

Silly VanOil, everyone knows shark is best with bake.

103. theres oil in virginia says:

uni,

I agree with your sentiment: that maximizing assets is important and Smid was an asset. However, I’m not so sure that this isn’t about what he’s worth. I’m not sure that his contract is a value contract and I’m not sure his trade value gets higher as the year goes on, based on the way he was playing. (Notice all the weasel words in the above.) I think Smid has largely been a disappointment in Edmonton.
    Either way, I’m just pointing out that Smid was probably gone one way or the other. If not now, then later, and they needed cap space to make a move, so it was now. Also, I suspect more salary will be leaving town soon. I wonder if the timing for moving Nick Schultz has more to do with when you can get the most for him, or when somebody from the farm is ready to come up for an audition. Maybe the timing for those two is the same (near the deadline?).

104. theres oil in virginia says:

uni: Silly VanOil, everyone knows shark is best with bake.

Where the hell did you run across that!? That looks good, although I’m trying to figure out why fried bread is called bake.

105. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This is a no good very bad trade.

I don’t see how this helps. The salary dump makes no sense. Esp. if it is spent on Bryz. god… fuck.

106. VanOil says:

uni: Silly VanOil, everyone knows shark is best with bake.

I stand corrected lets get bake(d). Looks way better than soup and its not served by Nazis.

107. uni says:

theres oil in virginia,

I think Smid established over the last 3 seasons that he is a legitimate top 4 defenseman. He’s having a rough go to start this season but most Oilers are. Given his history and age it’s likely he’ll regress.

From all the interest from teams at the last trade deadline, and speculated contracts of upwards of 4 million (Bob MacKenzie amoung others) that he was likely to get on the UFA market, I think he could have gotten something better in a trade. At the very least he could have been a valuable part of the vaunted 3 for 1 that is still yet to happen.

108. Romulus Apotheosis says:

One good thing.

Czech out, Czech in.

That fucking it. cry.

109. VanOil says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    One good thing.

Czech out, Czech in.

That fucking it. cry.

Smid is also unlikely to score a hat trick on his return to Rexall. Mind you with or goal tending he might, if he does I expect a standing ovation.

110. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I hate losing Smid before N. Schultz. I hated N. Schultz getting an A Captaincy ahead of Smid.

I forgot about that. I guess the writing really was on the wall. No worries, Hemsky is probably next! (oh wait…that’s not helping, sorry..wrong way.)

111. theres oil in virginia says:

uni,
    Yeah, Smid is “top 4″ in the sense that he can be a #4. He’s not a top pairing guy for sure, and in general he’s terrible at puck moving, so in a way, he needs to be sheltered by being paired with a capable puck mover.

112. dangilitis says:

This chain is really long, maybe someone has posted this – write up on Brossoit at hockey’s future:

“Brossoit is a strong, athletic, and agile goaltender who has a long reach and can extend his large frame to fill the upper section of the net. The butterfly goalie can be at times brilliant and get on a hot streak but is prone to letting in a weak goal on a harmless-looking shot when he’s fighting his game. His biggest weakness is that he can be susceptible to letting in soft goals and losing his mental focus. If Brossoit can put all of his physical tools together and get stronger mentally as he matures then the talent goalie could become a dominant NHL goaltender. The risk with the raw netminder is whether he can overcome his mental consistency issue to play goal at the pro level.”

Hmmm… prone to letting in soft goals. Sounds awfully familiar. In fact, I think it reminds me of someone the Oilers used to have as a highly touted goalie prospect… nah, I should just lay off the crack…

113. Bank Shot says:

Smid should have been used as bait to acquire an upgrade on the actual roster IMO.

Plus they downgraded the PK even further. Smid was one of the 4 regulars on the PK.

Not impressed with MAcT’s body of work thus far.

114. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This trade makes no sense… the more you think about it, there is no urgency for it, it solves nothing now and takes away a valuable piece to this team now and doesn’t reflect the value Smid has on the market.

terrible.

115. theres oil in virginia says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

terrible.

I think he’s clearing out a player (your favorite player, I gather) that didn’t fit in the new system, and didn’t fit in the long-term plan. I’m not sure I buy that Smid’s value is all that high on the market, though. As for urgency, 4-11-2 for a team that’s close to the cap is all the urgency you need. There’s bound to be more salary shedding soon.

116. PunkInDrublic says:

I don’t get it. Unless the Oil are getting an upgrade to Smid this move doesn’t make sense. I figured he’d be part of a bigger deal, but not traded for prospects.

Maybe there is another trade in place but they’re waiting for Smid’s physicals in Calgary tomorrow to make the announcement. Hemmer to FLA for Campbell maybe?

As it stands, we are marginally better in goal (fingers crossed) and worse on defense. Something has to give.

117. gcw_rocks says:

The Oilers traded a real NHL player for nothing. Again. Anyone remember all the buzz about how much Smid was going to get in free agency if he didn’t re-sign with the Oilers? He didn’t become a bad player over night. Veteran defensemen on affordable contacts have real value in the NHL and the Oilers traded him for a fourth line centre for the right to swap unproven goalies.

If the was ever doubt MacT is an idiot, this trade ends all doubt. Let the endless rebuild continue.

118. 719 says:

Coburn and Simmonds coming to the Oilers? Could be, but I doubt it. I agree with PunkInDrublic and think more likely B. Campbell is coming, just based solely on things Tallon has been saying in the media. Campbell would be a significant upgrade over Smid, IF IT HAPPENS.

I don’t like the trade as it stands, simply because like many of you we saw Smid grow up and become a top 4 defenceman here. Lets not judge this trade overly harshly, lets see what MacT does over the next few days.

119. Dominoiler says:

Once again, the oilers only seem to scout oil king players.. bravo, take a bow for all the effort boys..

Gotta read the rest of the comments, but first I need to knee jerk a response.. at least they got ebs from the pronger trade, cus all the rest of the return looks a little more like mud today..

Please let this goalie prospect really be worth it, cus this no name 3/4 centre (from a team that actually has worse centre depth than the oilers, correct me if im wrong!!??) doesnt seem like much of a return..

Bryz and no Smid.. never thought today was going to go like this.. Bryz, fuck.. you know your team is desperate when..