STARS AT OILERS G20, 13-14

In a season that has seen the dubious and the depressing, the Edmonton Oilers need the unsustainable and the perverse: they need hope. And they need it now.

COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS glen1

I subscribe to the law of contrary public opinion: if everyone thinks one thing, then I say, bet the other way. Every swinging Dick is trying to bury this team, the news stories break hourly and they’re all bad. The team can’t cover breakfast, let alone the center standing in front of the net. The phenom’s are fuming, the coaches are wincing and the goalies want to call the whole thing off.

I used to play roto baseball. What a hell town that is, your closer ruins at least 30 nights of summer every year and your bats are hot in April and dead on arrival in May. It’s a dog’s life, and chances are the men you’re up against spend their days and nights plotting your demise and laughing at your $20 pitching staff. I learned one thing playing roto baseball: when your good players are going badly, things will turn north. When your team is high in the rockies, trade those suckers because it’s going to be a blue day tomorrow and you’re going to wonder why you’re down here wasting your time with such bums.

THE LEADS ARE WEAK

glen2Get mad! You son of a bitches! You’re getting kicked around North America and your interviews after the game are depressing one million cold mo-fo’s in good old Your Town, Canada. I know the standings hate you and the other teams mock you and apparently you’re not good enough to get traded, but piss on that noise. You’re better than that–you ARE better than that! Strap on your strap-on and get out there dammit!

This problem isn’t just yours–everyone is to blame! MacT–he saw Gagner go down, knew the Nuge was hurt, and then claimed Steve MacIntyre and Luke Gazdic–but no center! Eakins didn’t give himself enough options in his roster makeup and is making curious lineup/line choices. It isn’t all on you, but tonight we’re healthy and at home and a win can put all that crap behind us!

ALWAYS BE CLOSING!

glen3When you die, you’re gonna regret the things you don’t do. This is it, boys! Tonight’s the night things start getting better! The Horcoff is in town and he’s got those crazy eyes and a brand new plan. You gonna let him run your show? Get in there, head on a swivel, let ‘em know you’re there! AIDA! Break!

COREY POWER POTTERPLAYpotter5

Pottery barn is back in town, replacing Taylor Fedun who heads to Oklahoma. I have no idea if he’ll play, here’s what we saw at practice yesterday for lines:

• Nuge-Perron-Eberle
  • Gagner-Hall-Hemsky
  • Arcobello-Smyth-Yakupov
  • Gordon-Jonesuu-Jones

I’d say we might see Gagner moved down the depth chart and Arcobello and Gordon moved up, but we’ll have to wait and see. At least they have enough penalty-killers to roll three pairs now (Dennis King has been trumpeting this for some time).

BUNZ MASTER

bunz fergusonTyler Bunz has done exactly nothing so far as a pro (he’s not alone–the Oilers have several players from the 2010 and 2011 drafts who were good juniors and pro flops) but he’s been very good in a very short sample size with the Barons.

• Game 1 .857
  • Game 2 .944
  • Game 3 .944
  • Overall: 3, 2.07 .937

This is of course crazy early. However, this is a goaltender who has been mediocre in 40 ECHL games and his first two AHL contests. His final season in the WHL, Bunz .921 sp ranked second overall (behind Ty Rimmer) and he was also second overall in the previous season.

HALL, THE VOICE OF REASON

hall and yak common

The Yakupov story held sway yesterday and there was some interesting insight into the team dynamic. One fascinating quote:

• Taylor Hall: “He had a lot of leeway last year and this year, not as much. Ralph really took a liking to a young European player and Dallas is trying to get him to play the right way. I think once those two things mesh that’s when you’re going to see the player he can be.”
  • More Hall: “It’s not a distraction for us. Last year, he had a great year and this year, he’s struggled a bit. But it’s not like he’s not giving an effort. He knows our system and he tries his best to play within them. Right now it’s not working the way that it can, but we know it will turn around.”
  • More More Hall: “It’s unfortunate his agent had to say those kinds of things … it would probably be easier for Yak if his agent came into town a little bit quieter, but that’s stuff we don’t really think about. We’re trying to get him back on track and I know he will.”

Joanne Ireland article is source here and thanks to ThePeet So for the find. I love this quote, it’s true, it acknowledges the problems, gives us a little insight into the locker room dynamic and expresses some belief in things working out. I  think he’ll captain this team someday. I specifically like his explanation about the change from last year to this–remember the Imlach/Perreault story from the other day? This is trying to get the player into a position where he can defend, and be part of the offense, in a more structured way. I remember hearing the same things about Hemsky so it can be done (Hemsky does a lot of nice things that never get mentioned–zone exits, etc).

TAYLOR HALL ON SHAWN HORCOFF

Shawn_Horcoff_2012

“There were a lot of times in the last four years where Shawn stepped up and said the right thing; really got us back on track. (Andrew Ference) has been a really good captain for us, but it would be nice to have another veteran guy on the team that’s for sure.”

Article is here and I love the quote about another veteran guy. THAT guy could be mentor to Yakupov the way Horcoff was to Yakupov. We should never underestimate the power of a mentor–Oilers have had some gems over the years like Reasoner and Pisani–and that  guy over in the Dallas locker room had a major impact on these kids and their development. I hope people at Rexall cheer him tonight, at least one time. I heart Shawn Horcoff, even in another uniform.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

hayek

644 Responses to "STARS AT OILERS G20, 13-14"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »

fuzzy muppet:
    I think I just saw the first ever 5 minute goaltender interfernce penalty.

Nope refs screwed it up and only give Kadri a 2 minute minor.He should have gotten a match penalty

2. fuzzy muppet says:

The old-schooler in me thinks someone should pound the tar out of Kadri

3. theres oil in virginia says:

icecastles:
    …since you seem intent on converting the GDT to a rather silly socio-political debate.

Aw, c’mon man. I like the silly socio-political stuff. Anyway, talking about the death and destruction that arms dealers wreak upon humanity is still less depressing than talking about the Oilers.

4. fuzzy muppet says:

The more I see the replay, there’s NO WAY Kadri doesn’t get suspended

I have a strange feeling that Gagner has a good game tonight with and without the puck.

6. thepeetso says:

Woodguy,

This would be akin to seeing a unicorn ridden by a leprechaun.

But I like the positive vibes.

7. icecastles says:

theres oil in virginia: Anyway, talking about the death and destruction that arms dealers wreak upon humanity is still less depressing than talking about the Oilers.

At least if the Oilers were arms dealers, we’d have a good chance at world peace.

8. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: That LOOKED like a flying elbow, but he gets two. Leafs get lots of breaks, that’s another.

If Belov had done that he would have been executed on the spot.

9. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy:

You’re right, that IS a strange feeling.

I went to my downstairs fridge to get a jar of fruit and behind the jar was an incredibly cold tall boy of Stella that’s been there since who knows when.

Good things happening and its going to continue into this hockey game.

11. VanOil says:

Who is Yakupov’s roommate on the road this year? Who was it last year? Or teams so rich now a days that everyone gets there own room?

12. VanOil says:

Bruce McCurdy: If Belov had done that he would have been executed on the spot.

Agreed. They also would have given two Oilers match penalties in the resulting scrum.

13. Alsker says:

Woodguy:

Now you’re scaring me. Wait, I’ve got it, Hall banks one in off the Gags’ faceguard shattering it. He’s ok but it takes the rest of the game to install new one and get it set right. Ebs moves to center with 4+83 and Yak moves up with RNH. Cool!

14. bookje says:

Woodguy:

I think you mean Gagne.

15. VanOil says:

Woodguy:

Good things happening and its going to continue into this hockey game.

Make some bets on sports props quick!

16. Bruce McCurdy says:

Nice edit*ng!

17. OilFire says:

Bruce McCurdy: Nice edit*ng!

Hah, reminds me of Asimov’s:
    “People don’t understand swear words, I overheard someone say ‘Oh Shit! I stepped in some doggy doo doo’”

18. justDOit says:

theres oil in virginia: Aw, c’mon man.I like the silly socio-political stuff.Anyway, talking about the death and destruction that arms dealers wreak upon humanity is still less depressing than talking about the Oilers.

19. B S says:

fuzzy muppet:
    The more I see the replay, there’s NO WAY Kadri doesn’t get suspended

Actually, there is a way, it’s called he plays for Toronto.

20. Brackenburied says:

thepeetso:
    Woodguy,

This would be akin to seeing a unicorn ridden by a leprechaun.

But I like the positive vibes.

This just in, unicorn spotted in Vietnam.
    No word on who was riding it.

21. thepeetso says:

Brackenburied,

Well then.

*bets a brownback on the Oilers*

22. pboy says:

It’s amazing that no one on Minnesota touched Kadri there. Reminiscent of Lucic – Miller from a couple of seasons ago.

23. VanOil says:

Leon Draisaitl is down to 15th on Buttons most recent list http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Surely Rom is not suggesting we are only capable of attaining the 15th overall pick in the draft.

24. Bruce McCurdy says:

bookje: Woodguy:

I think you mean Gagne.

I think he’s talking about Ganja.

#strangefeeling

25. Brackenburied says:

VanOil:

Matty has Draitsatl in his top 5, and you know, he’s a Hall of Famer.

26. VanOil says:

Brackenburied,

Interesting. While I concede Button is not the most reliable draft source, I am no longer convinced Matty even watches NHL games any more, let alone Jr ones.

Eakins looks like he wants to to punch Rishaug at the start of that interview.

27. bookje says:

B S: Actually, there is a way, it’s called he plays for Toronto.

In Toronto you are not held accountable for things you did in the past. It’s called Fordism!

28. G Money says:

Bruce McCurdy: G Money: If he’s publishing utterly fucking stupid sh*t like this, it means the last of the MSM have jumped the shark.
    Nice edit*ng!

Yeah, I didn’t want to be rude! Although I did mess up a bit, it should have read:

If he’s publishing utt*rly fucking stupid sh*t like this, it means the last of the MSM have jumped the s***k.

29. Ripoux says:

Maybe its the beer talking, but I feel good about this game. First time I have watched the Oil live this season. I think Horcoff’s return and the recent media glare will focus their minds. Proof is in the pudding. Too bad Hall didn’t guarantee a victory tonite :) Stick it in the face
    of the media!

30. striatic says:

justDOit: Quoted for truthiness, and I didn’t even get around to mentioning the Bush & Bin Laden backed Carlyle group.

B S: Actually, there is a way, it’s called he plays for Toronto.

… and the Toronto Maple Leafs are coached by .. Randy Carlyle ..

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

31. Ribs says:

Draisaitl is a hockey player?? And here I thought you guys were getting strangely overexcited about some new kind of cough or allergy relief medication!

32. G Money says:

Woodguy:

Ripoux: Maybe its the beer talking, but I feel good about this game.

I applaud your optimism. I’m still not sure if I even want to watch the game. I may just spend the next 2.5 hours staring at the picture of Salma (when my wife is out of the room of course).

Igor Larionov is in the building. Gong show on the way?

I expect Eakins will play Yakupov based on his performance. Anything else and he loses the team.

34. Alsker says:

bookje: In Toronto you are not held accountable for things you did in the past.It’s called Fordism!

Everywhere else it’s called short term memory loss.

35. Brackenburied says:

Igor Larionov is in the building. Gong show on the way?

It will be a good measure of the man if he plays him accordingly and forgets the gong show.

36. Nuckout says:

I think we have seen Hall the future captain come out of his shell a bit. He gets what is going on, and where they need to go from here, and you can tell he is going to be nothing but passionate about the whole deal. I would have liked to have heard Ferknuckle comment on the whole situation, though. Shouldn’t he be the one at the forefront of the media comments after management and Eakins? I think we’re going to see Hall step the f**k up tonight. Because if not tonight against his ol’ capitano, when?

37. Brackenburied says:

Kadri: What’s the precedence for two suspendable head shots in one game? It will be interesting to see how many games he gets.

38. OilClog says:

Shouldn’t the leafs game be over by now? It’s going to be 5-0 before the feed switches!

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

VanOil:

No way… that’s just part of the other plan… find early peakers that lose ground (Last year I was tracking Jakob de la Rose)… ;)

Besides, that’s just Button’s list. Always interesting, but also, always idiosyncratic… last year his final list had Fucale at 9th OV.

Draisaitl will be an Oiler.

40. justDOit says:

OilClog,

Might be on tsn2 – which I don’t get.

Edit: and I think I read f/o was 8:08.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, is the game going to be started on time?

Is the NHL going to be all “ahh… you got Kadri on that marginal (not really) hit late, so forget about the elbow to the goalie”?

42. OilClog says:

7:15 puck drop they say.. I’ve spoke too soon

43. Brackenburied says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    So, is the game going to be started on time?

Game starts 8:15…local.

44. Brackenburied says:

justDOit:
    OilClog,

Might be on tsn2 – which I don’t get.

Edit: and I think I read f/o was 8:08.

Phi and Pit on tsn2 so no.

45. OilClog says:

It would be kinda funny to see Eakins play Yakupov 30+mins just for shits and giggles. Constantly winking up at Larionov. Pure comedy gold!

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Brackenburied:

zero.

He’s a leave. Plus I think the league will counter-intuitively go lightly on him for doubling up on shitty plays.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Has anyone listed to “Like a Virgin” (album) recently?

Put it on the ole’ turntable the other day. Man, there’s some great pop tunes on there… but shit did she have a crap voice. Thin and unimaginative. I was so captivated by her videos as a kid:

I never really noticed. Anyone else had one of these two decades on revelations?

48. RexLibris says:

Read your Next Twenty piece over at ON.

Beat Calgary.

Couldn’t agree more.

12-1 sound about right (Smid gets the 1)?

49. icecastles says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Has anyone listed to “Like a Virgin” (album) recently?

4-93-14 back together as per Jack Micheals.

Yay!

51. icecastles says:

Alex Hemshy. Goddamnit, you foreign commentators. Will we ever get one who can pronounce a single European name? >:(

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie:
    striatic,

Bah! I’m not worried about sheeple. I’m worried about the mole men!

53. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Has anyone listed to “Like a Virgin” (album) recently?

Heard that song somewhere recently, and those vox are absolutely cringe-worthy! Good players on that album, and well done – yes. Just can’t get past that voice, or persona. Can not.

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Has anyone listed to “Like a Virgin” (album) recently?

“listened” though “listed” makes a kind of sense…

55. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I have always hated her. It’s one of the things I like best about myself.

*Obviously The Dick Tracy soundtrack doesn’t count because that was only the second movie I ever saw in theatres and it was so cool.

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

icecastles: I’ve always dug early Madonna… and most 80′s synth pop. True, she does have an awful voice. But Cyndi Lauper… now there’s an underrated voice.

Strong and interesting… what you look for in a good voice. I’d have to give Madonna the edge in straight-forward pop mastery though.

57. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis: zero.

Or they’ll argue it was self-defense.

58. fuzzy muppet says:

Hemsky with two brutal giveaways already.

where’s his accountability??

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Crap, I missed 8 mins. hoping the leaves would lose.

60. thepeetso says:

Madonna . . . meh

I did dig her in “A League of Their Own” though.

61. RexLibris says:

Wild win in a shootout.

Some justice.

62. hunter1909 says:

0-0 nearly 10 minutes in. Time for Dubnyk’s patented flub goal.

63. bookje says:

Why is Dallas lime green?

64. icecastles says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’d have to give Madonna the edge in straight-forward pop mastery though.

Madonna was always a master of bringing in top-shelf help as well, from song writers to producers to everything in between. I’ve always regarded her as more of a self-made product than a self-made artist. Her ‘Ray of Light’ album was, for all intents and purposes, a William Orbit album with her vocals laid overtop.

Edit: Go Oilers.

65. VanOil says:

I hope that is the last time the leaves interrupt my Oil viewing this year but I doubt it.

66. fuzzy muppet says:

Burning their timeout 9 and a half minutes in…

prepare for a long night

67. D says:

Man the Oil were outplayed for the last few minutes. No wonder they called a timeout.

68. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

I know new logos and jerseys draw varied opinions, but I like the new Dallas look. Let’s dirty them up a little tonight.

69. OilBuzz says:

Man they were just standing around letting the Stars take free shots at Dubnyk! WTF am I watching?

70. bookje says:

Eakins is a genius 4-93-14 – great idea!!

71. OilClog says:

What a save

Oilers have absolutely no idea about how the game of hockey is played.

73. RexLibris says:

OilBuzz:

Hint: the Oilers.

74. RexLibris says:

Oilers have absolutely no idea about how the game of hockey is played.

Sure they do. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.

Right?

75. lance says:

this is the best I’ve seen them play all year. Granted, its the first time I’ve seen a puck drop and I’ve turned off most of them within a couple minutes, but the d zone coverage seems team based finally.

that was a crazy save by lethonen.

Dallas feed.

76. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

I have always hated her. It’s one of the things I like best about myself.

It’s one of the things I like best about you also.

Her acting career is best left unmentioned.

77. OilBuzz says:

Oilers have absolutely no idea about how the game of hockey is played.

The Oilers are playing as though teams are supposed to take turns giving each other wide open shots. It might as well be a damn shootout! And that’s not a game you play with the worst Sv% in the league.

78. justDOit says:

RexLibris: Sure they do. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.

Right?

but it’s more like, “sniff the ball.”

79. OilClog says:

Gagner – nawwwww I don’t like scoring

Gagner with a goal post there.

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

icecastles: Throught the 80′s and early 90′s for sure. But as time went on, Lauper defined herself more clearly and evolved as a musician, whereas Madonna continued to surf from trend to trend, until now she is very nearly a parody of herself, trying to rap and maintain the sex-goddess persona into her 50s.

Edit: Go Oilers.

This is all true of course.

She gets credit for having her name on all those pop hooks though.

———
    The Oilers are a night and day team.

82. justDOit says:

OilClog,

He’s developing that love for defense!

83. thepeetso says:

If the Oil didn’t have bad luck they’d have no luck at all.

84. OilClog says:

How is Eberle point over yak? No sense

85. VanOil says:

Why are other goalies allowed to make “BIG SAVES” and our goalies are not?

86. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Right?

lollygaggers!

87. RexLibris says:

That’s two grade A chances. One stolen and one whiffed.

If they don’t get something on this powerplay, I suspect we’ll be using those as “coulda, woulda, shouldas” tomorrow.

88. SK Oiler Fan says:

That’s not a penalty. Daley can fly

89. lance says:

Eberle and Ganje could easily have this score 2-0.

Dubnyk with one pretty decent save on Benn too.

May have a team effort tonight?

Also I think Hemsky had a few mins on the bench after that brutal give away, granted 27′s line couldn’t get off for about 10 mins…

90. icecastles says:

SK Oiler Fan: That’s not a penalty. Daley can fly

Perron… he’s our jerk.

Powerplay coming together nicely.

92. Henry says:

Man, Nichushkin is a giant.

That Gagner shot changed directions, save Lehtonen. ferraro catches a lot of stuff.

94. RexLibris says:

Looks like better coverage in front of the net tonight (please don’t let that be a jinx).

95. Ribs says:

..And Smytty takes an old man penalty.

96. SK Oiler Fan says:

what a dumb pp setup. a half assed low screen and Yak standing by the post doing nothing. rebound easily recovered by Dallas.
    That’s poor coaching

97. justDOit says:

Henry:
    Man, Nichushkin is a giant.

Chaisson is similar.

98. icecastles says:

hahaha All I see anymore on Gordon’s face-offs is that knee-drop. But now that I’m watching him, does anyone else take face-offs with such a wide stance? Not sure if it’s unique to him or if I’ve just not keyed into it before.

99. RexLibris says:

That was a strong road period for Dallas. Clearly outchancing Edmonton, although the Oilers had the highlight reel opportunities.

Oh good, now we can hear the erudition of the panel. Cue the Yakupov bashing…

100. RexLibris says:

icecastles:

I’ve noticed Arcobello does something similar, although his center of gravity is already pretty low ;)

101. SK Oiler Fan says:

Wow DD is awkward in there. He’s falling over sideways and backwards all the time. Just not under control like last year. I don’t think his leg strength is good enough. Maybe Hus ankle still isn’t right.
    Never liked Jeff Oneil

102. justDOit says:

icecastles,

Yeah, I know what you mean. It’s like he’s actually setting up a block that’s about 4′ wide. It also hurts his ability to pursue the puck when it leaves the dot area, but when you win 60% of the draws…

103. Nuckout says:

I’m sure this has been covered, but why the hell did they send Fedun back to OKC? For Potter?

And he was only -1? If I was a smart fan, I might deduce that this is an odd move.

104. Henry says:

icecastles:

It’s amazing Gordon hasn’t broken a pinky or wrist the way he takes draws. Very brave.

The way he does it he almost never loses clean. Its a half draw that he right winger can take if he jumps it.

I think the panel got a chance to throw dung on all the Euro forwards there, can someone confirm?

106. hunter1909 says:

I feel as cynical as a Stalingrad pawnbroker, watching lottery level, non-playoff hockey.

Stars have a cool broadcast team. Can broadcast teams get traded?

107. RMGS says:

Hahahaha! The TSN panel fails to rip Yakupov and is actually sympathetic.

If this is possible, the Oilers may even win this game!

108. RexLibris says:

I’d say so. Ward’s late drive-by on Hemsky (no heart) was a nice touch.

109. Brackenburied says:

Why does Aaron Wad throw Hemsky under the bus there?? I don’t get it.

110. Nuckout says:

RMGS:
    Hahahaha!The TSN panel fails to rip Yakupov and is actually sympathetic.

If this is possible, the Oilers may even win this game!

The Fox commentators, however are ripping Yak a new мудак.

111. icecastles says:

RexLibris: I’ve noticed Arcobello does something similar, although his center of gravity is already pretty low

Gordon is almost doing full splits when he takes draws. I think the twist of the face-off pretty much forces him to a knee when his feet are that wide. Pretty much unavoidable. Seems to work, but so very odd. And incredibly hard to rapidly recover from when you lose a faceoff.

112. G Money says:

“Because dating isn’t science, it’s chemistry”

Damn, must have missed that reclassification. What is chemistry now? Art? Sport?

113. Wolfie says:

Is that what quality goaltending looks like?

114. RexLibris says:

Brackenburied,

I don’t know. I get that some players can provide great insight (cue Ferraro), but most just come across as watered-down versions of mediocre sports journalists looking to fill space with half-baked narratives and generalities.

Yet here we are, watching them.

115. justDOit says:

Brackenburied:
    Why does Aaron Wad throw Hemsky under the bus there?? I don’t get it.

Script was written yesterday? That was completely bewildering.

116. RexLibris says:

Nuckout: The Fox commentators, however are ripping Yak a new мудак.

That’s because he’s a godless Bolshevik from a Muslim part of the Evil Empire. Hits all the talking points.

Wow, that was overly-cynical even for me.

117. theres oil in virginia says:

Oilers have absolutely no idea about how the game of hockey is played.

Oooh, so that’s why they keep staring at the puck. To see how the other team does it! It all makes sense now, it just needed the right context.

118. RexLibris says:

icecastles,

That’s been mentioned earlier as well. I think the coverage is made up for by the nearest winger which allows Gordon to regain his footing. He’s pretty quick at it, though, all things considered.

119. G Money says:

Wolfie:
    Is that what quality goaltending looks like?

Jinx!

We won’t know til the end of the game. Dubie’s actually been making lots of great saves . It’s the easy goals that have been the killer .

120. Romulus Apotheosis says:

121. justDOit says:

RexLibris,

It’s less UssianRay, and more about the UslimMay.

Romulus Apotheosis: Not true. Joensuu wasn’t even mentioned… And, Omark didn’t get any grief for playing well in a single game this year (slacker).

123. Nuckout says:

Lowetide: Gack! You’re right, and they even made a big deal about Joensuu’s name during the 1st period pbp.

The Fox guys stressed his name was spelled with two U’s. It’s like they thought nobody would believe them.

124. RexLibris says:

justDOit,

Right. They don’t like his sideburns.

Speaking of Yakupov, has anyone noticed if he’s growing for Movember, or is it still a puberty ‘stache?

125. Nuckout says:

RexLibris:
    justDOit,

Right. They don’t like his sideburns.

In Muslim republic of Tatarstan, moustache grows you.

126. bookje says:

They defended Yak and slaked Gagner – he’s not Euro. Hemsky is on pace for 40 points. Critisism is warranted at that point. I’ve supported Hemsky throughout, but 5 million is a lot for that.

127. RexLibris says:

Corsi for % was 39.3 Oilers, 60.7 Stars. Chances 11-17.

128. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Marco Roy’s team got plastered 6-0 tonight.

Everett up 3-1 in the 2nd. Kharia and Benny B pointless so far.

129. Andy P says:

I really am missing those Oilers of the late 90′s. Man, those men had a good, blue collar work ethic and they scratched clawed and worked their way into the playoffs year after year.

Then there’s little Yak, why is nobody bothered about the boy’s Dad that is most likely at the core of all this crap? Do you honestly think his dad is standing back with his arms folded and his lips sealed?

130. justDOit says:

RexLibris,

In general, anything base around a lunar calendar.

131. Brackenburied says:

Anybody catch the Horcoff tribute? Fan reaction?
    Apparently for Smid they are planning to have him skate around the ice while a Sarah Maclachlan song plays.

Ray Ferraro makes note of Anton Belov’s first period, saying he played well.

133. RexLibris says:

Nuckout,

That could be most of Russia, from my experience. Take a look at some Russian celebrity magazines, they are an education.

134. justDOit says:

Nuckout,

beauty.

135. RexLibris says:

Shooting gallery time.

136. Alsker says:

We didn’t get trapped in our end for an eon at a time. Lot more entertaining period then we’ve seen in some time. Hemmers brainfart only really BAD turnover.

As for Madonna: always like Vogue darker, deeper voiced mmmmmmmmmm….

137. RexLibris says:

That’s two drawn for Perron.

Heh. Perron is a menace. I love him.

139. bookje says:

Andy P:

What do you know about his dad and why do you care. Seriously the bullshit people make up to support their little fantasies astounds me.

140. RexLibris says:

Yakupov on point? !

Or Smyth? :(

141. Nuckout says:

justDOit:
    Nuckout,

beauty.

Thanks.. There’ll be more where that came from once Bryz gets here.

1:36 5 on 3. Oilers HAVE TO SCORE HERE!

143. RexLibris says:

Clutterbuck – best name in hockey.

Garbutt – not the best name in hockey.

144. fuzzy muppet says:

Talk about a must score PP…

it’s NOW

145. Andy P says:

junor team playing shinny
    Bloody hell these guys are useless!

146. RexLibris says:

Or bank it in off a defenseman’s skates.

At this point, I don’t care how.

147. Wolfie says:

G Money, I was actually talking about Lehtonen…

148. bookje says:

Pretty static 5 on 3. You need to move.

149. G Money says:

This is weird. Refs are calling penalties. First time against a US team this year.

Now can anyone tell me why th* fuck Hall is behind the net and RNH is in the circle?

150. fuzzy muppet says:

FAIL

151. RexLibris says:

How does that go?

We hoped for the best but…yeah.

152. Romulus Apotheosis says:

the old pass it into the net ploy, huh?

153. Hockeyman 99 says:

why wouldn’t Yak have gotten onto that 5-3?????

154. Logan91 says:

5 on 3, and not 1 body in front of the net…… WTF!?

155. G Money says:

Wolfie:
    G Money, I was actually talking about Lehtonen…

??? But haven’t we seen the other guy give good goaltending most nights???

156. bookje says:

Maybe they needed Yak out there instead of Gags.

157. fuzzy muppet says:

Hockeyman 99,

Eakins is full of shit, that’s why

158. D says:

This is the first time I’ll say this. But Eakins needs to be fired. Yak should have been on that PP and not Gagner.

159. hunter1909 says:

They had reasonable puck possession, at least.

Good to see Ryan Smyth talking to Yakupov on the bench.

160. russ99 says:

Wow, who told the Oilers to all stand perfectly still on a 5-on-3? And of course, only shoot from the left side of the net.

Unreal…

Joensuu is a menace.

162. bookje says:

Eakins does not coach a good power play, the evidence is clear. Looks like a MacT static power play plan.

163. Pablo Aimar says:

Brilliant coaching by Eakins there, having the likes of Gagner out instead of Yakupov on the 5 on 3. Just brilliant stuff.

164. SK Oiler Fan says:

This PP will never be successful as designed. It’s one shot and done. Smyth likely wants to crawl into a hole. How can you have two guys standing off to the side of the net, almost in the corner? Get to the dirty areas dammit. Do they not see Lehtonen is going to stop everything he sees? Eakins has lost me.

165. Nuckout says:

D:
    This is the first time I’ll say this.But Eakins needs to be fired.Yak should have been on that PP and not Gagner.

More fuel to the fire for Larionov.

That. Was. Painful.

166. Brackenburied says:

Did you see the knob in the front row in his oilers jersey with play about 2 feet in front of him and he barely glances up from his texting. What a waste.

167. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So, nearly 2 mins of 5×3, with 5 forwards, no Yakupov. that’s going to help.

I wonder if Eakins is taking an “I make the rules around here” kind of stand?

168. Henry says:

Nice D play by Jones of all people. Very nice.

169. Henry says:

Nuckout: More fuel to the fire for Larionov.

That. Was. Painful.

Eakins making a point.

170. Hockeyman 99 says:

Yak has the best shot on the team. We are trying to get him going yet its the same 5 guys for the whole pp. Gagner out Yak in!

171. RexLibris says:

I can’t remember who wrote it, but there was something on CoH the other day about the powerplay and putting Yakupov on the half-wall with RNH behind the net.

Seems so obvious and yet…

172. Alsker says:

If we spend the whole 5-3 looking for the 1 timer then first we need a pass that works. Every pass had to be stopped , adjusted, whatever….give to hall/perron and drive it to the net.

173. D says:

Nuckout: More fuel to the fire for Larionov.

That. Was. Painful.

Larionov is seriously going to knock their heads in. Two bit Eakins versus hockey legend. That’s not going to go well.

174. Hockeyman 99 says:

Nice Horcoff gets the ovation. :)

175. bookje says:

russ99,

Remember the MacT ‘pass to the point’ PP – it was terrible. We need to bring in an assistant coach that understands how to build a dynamic power play.

176. VanOil says:

I would like to point out that Gagner beat Horcoff on a draw at the start of the PP. Pigs are now flying and WGs fridge is magically making beer. I don’t know whether to be scared or excited.

177. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    the old pass it into the net ploy, huh?

Careful, they might…into their own.

178. OilBuzz says:

Is Gordon our new Gator?

Also I hate Eakins. Yak should have been on that PP,

179. Andy P says:

bookje:
    russ99,

Remember the MacT ‘pass to the point’ PP – it was terrible.We need to bring in an assistant coach that understands how to build a dynamic power play.

I know of one that is still on the payroll……

180. russ99 says:

That was the 5-on-3 of doom.

181. pboy says:

Joensuu is a menace.

You like his game. Besides the first game of the season, his play has left me pretty unimpressed.

182. thepeetso says:

Henry: Eakins making a point.

Has to be.

Because its beyond stupid if its otherwise.

183. RexLibris says:

bookje,

I’d almost take functional over dynamic right now.

184. Hockeyman 99 says:

Henry,

Eakins is going to make his point right out of the NHL.

185. Nuckout says:

D: Larionov is seriously going to knock their heads in.Two bit Eakins versus hockey legend.That’s not going to go well.

This is Eakins version of “I’m taking my ball and going home. Screw you guys.”

It’s not going to work, and this will be the sword he falls on once his act starts wearing thin.

Which is soon.

186. Brackenburied says:

That should earn Yak some PP time.

187. Hockeyman 99 says:

They have to score now!

188. Henry says:

What a play by the Yak

189. pboy says:

Jesus Christ Eakins, start the 2nd unit for this PP!

190. D says:

What a pass by Yak!

191. Andy P says:

We’re getting the penalties awarded because the NHL know that a team this bad is an embarrassment to the league.

192. OilBuzz says:

Amazing pass by Yak.

193. rich says:

Memo to Eakins: Would you like to try Yak on the PP?

194. D says:

Nuckout: This is Eakins version of “I’m taking my ball and going home. Screw you guys.”

Which is soon.

I can’t wait.

Another PP. Oilers MUST score here!

196. Southern Oil says:

I have counted 3 giveaways by Hemsky so far. Then he was deep in the Ozone there for a bit while the puck was in the neutral zone. Delayed our zone entry.

197. hunter1909 says:

I hate to say this but I’m cheering for the Stars. I want to hear boos as they skate off the ice at the end of the game.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »