THAT DAMN SATHER

The Rangers play again tonight and the Oilers management group is there again. People don’t do things for no reason, and Manhattan hotels aren’t cheap. God gave us brains so let’s suss out a few things, shall we?

1. Ales Hemsky is a free agent next summer
    2. The Oilers have Eberle and Yakupov for RW until 2020+
    3. The Rangers love famous people. If Howie Morenz were alive today they’d trade for him
    4. The Oilers need all kinds of things, but defense and center are areas of need and have been since 2006 spring
    5. Sather is old and cagey and old
    6. MacTavish is probably going to make a November trade (otherwise why bother going to Manhattan in November–he’s miles from his home and you can only see so many Broadway shows before the VISA is at its limit)
    7. Sather is old and cagey and old
    8. The verbal around a trade with Sather and Messier and MacT and Lowe in a room would be gold–I’d pay money to hear it and one day some young writer is going to do an actual hockey play that makes Broadway. Sather would be a brilliant character for a play–he’s as strong a character for fiction as he is for fact
    9. The Oilers could use help on blue
    10. Sather is old and cagey and old
    11. The Oilers could use help at center too
    12. Sather is old and cagey and old
    13. Music!

89 Responses to "THAT DAMN SATHER"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

A play consisting of Larry David’s Steinbrenner and (I’m not sure’s) Sather would be fantastic.

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Concerning items 1-3… is Hemsky a “famous person”? or have I mis-read you here?

That’s my guess, yes.

4. DBO says:

So is Hemsky for Girardi fair? Not enough I would assume. Do they go crazy an do Yak fand Schultz for Girardi and Kreider and Boyle? Staal not Boyle?

I’m scared. teams in a rut don;t usually make good deals. I’ve pimped out Boyle for a few years, so I’m good to get him. Maybe Hemsky and something for Boyle and Girardi? Solves a bunch of problems. Doubt it happens. Maybe Omark can go crazy and get 6 pts in next 3 games an the oil can peddle him in a package.

5. jb says:

For the first time ever I’ll agree that Hemsky should probably be dealt.. Then you make a decision on one of Gagner/Arcobello for 2C. Dangle the #1 and you should be able to get a hell of a package. Need to add one more Gordon type center, and a high end veteran dman.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That’s my guess, yes.

I think NYC types have a higher bar for “famous”…

moving on…

exit question (assuming some kind of Girardi-Hemsky deal happens):

what are the chances Hemsky re-signs with NYR?

what are the chances Girardi re-signs with the Oil?

7. cabbiesmacker says:

According to quite a few here Lowe’s hands off now and this is MacT’s team to do with as he pleases.

Is ol 6 rings along for this little soiree? If so then the reek continues and lots here are mistaken.

8. prairieschooner says:

Realistically from the Rangers point of view who would they trade
    They need scoring and we need a top end D man assuming the Oilers feel OK with their 5,6,7 depth
    we are not great for cap space unless they take Hemsky
    Delzotto and/or Girardi for ?

9. Zelepukin says:

Can we please stop with the Yak trade talks now, that is unless you mention the firing of Eakins in the same sentence. No player is going to trust, listen to do anything their coach says if he goes public with saying WE”RE not shopping a player and then the GM goes and trades him the next day.

With Hemsky, what’s the damage with trading a player two months after holding a press conference and saying this:

”When the team has had success, Ales has always been a huge participant in that success and we think we’re going to have success this year. At this point, we don’t have a contingency plan for failure and how to deal with it, but we feel we have the opportunity to turn the corner. I know how good a player he is. I know what a great contribution he’s made in the past and I feel like at the end of the year we could be in a situation where we’re doing another contract with Ales. But that will be determined over time.”

10. cabbiesmacker says:

Wouldn’t touch Girardi but I’d pony up BOLDly for a shot at Kreider, Boyle and McDonagh, including Hemsky, Gagner, + +

11. Frelbo says:

I’m not sure yet whether Arcobello is a mirage or not. But he can take a faceoff, make plays and seems to have some defensive sensibilities. All that adds up to a second line center that displaces Gagner. Ganger has pedigree and trade value but not sure he contributes more to the team winning than Arcobello. Trading Hemsky would be fine. But trading Gagner would net a better return while not creating a hole in the lineup. I’d much rather trade Gagner for a good return than waste his skill by utilizing him as a miscast 3rd line plugger or retreading him as a winger.

12. hunter1909 says:

Zelepukin: Can we please stop with the Yak trade talks now

Yakupov would be an absolute superstar playing in NY, and Sather knows it. MacT/Lowe by comparison are merely stooges in the great scheme of NHL horse traders and so, respectfully, I’m going to go with my instinct: Six Rings Kevin Lowe is going to fuck up a three 1st pick overall potential cup winning powerhouse.

Such foolishness as cap concerns won’t even bother Kevin.

They may be looking at Girardi as a D partner/mentor for Nurse next year. The Oilers don’t really have a veteran right-side D for that role. The trouble is getting the guy signed. Klefbom as the #7 playing in OKC with the #8 in the pressbox in EDM.

14. David says:

hunter1909,

Why are you still here?

Zelepukin:

I didn’t notice a lot of Yakupov trade talk on this blog. A lot of “don’t trade him” but for me we were pretty much in agreement as a group it was a bad idea.

16. prairieschooner says:

Hunter I believe it should be “Kevin Six Rings”
    My Indian name is Runs with Beer

17. Ribs says:

prairieschooner: Realistically from the Rangers point of view who would they trade

18. Nuckout says:

Omark wore yellow non contact in practise today. When asked about it, he tiptoed around the question like a ballerina. One could argue that he will be the extra forward tommorow, but I doubt that.. so that brings me to my insane theory of the day. This is not at all based in sound reasoning, of course, but I would love it if I was accurate.

Omark and Hemsky traded Friday am to NYR. I’m not even going to try and speculate who may be involved. However, I do know this;

Sather is a grinder, and he wanted Yak. Of course, MacT isn’t an idiot, and he wouldn’t get an equal return. He wants to see how Omark reacts in the bigs against a team like Tampa. They’ll keep him fairly sheltered of course, with easier matchups and Ozone starts. The Rangers need skilled forwards, and the Oil clearly do not have the room on the roster for Omark, barring injuries.

Now, what MacT wants, he cannot get solely with Omark, so Hemsky is incuded. I would love to say Lundquist would come back for Dubnyk, but I played that scenario out in my head, and it didn’t wash.

Call me crazy, but this may just happen. Thoughts?

I think Omark yellow jersey was just because he was taking line drills with Hall and Joensuu.

20. Brackenburied says:

Nuckout:

Call me crazy, but this may just happen. Thoughts?

You are missing the other half of the equation.

21. David says:

Based on what MacT has done so far if give him an A and all my faith that he can turn things around. When an entire city is on fire and the fire fighters have just been at it for 15 mins you don’t criticize them for not having the fire out yet. MacT inherited something out of a nightmare. He’s barely been at it. He’s added Perron, Gordon, Belov, and Joensuu who all look very good in the amount they have played so far. He’s added Ference who is doing what Ference will do. Number 4 D and leadership. Everyone is liking what they saw from Larsen last game. MacT acquired him. MacT was the biggest supporter behind Arcobello who we all love now. He tried pretty hard to upgrade Goaltending through trade and signing but he refused to be fleeced and the free agents signed elsewhere. Why are people afraid of him? Because the President of the club is the architect of our last team to see the post season that just happened to be one game away from being crowned champions? The guy who also brought in arguably the best defenseman in the league at the time for role players and spare parts? The insanity of Oilers fans never ceases.

22. Ribs says:

Ribs: Staal may be broken, so he could be up for grabs. It sounds like they’ve been pumping him with powerplay minutes lately and giving best teammates.

Forgot to mention, he’s currently a team worst -11.

23. Nuckout says:

Brackenburied,

I know, I know. But something out of the ordinary is happening with Omark. The timing is strange. Where does he fit into the lineup tommorow?

24. hunter1909 says:

David: Why are people afraid of him? Because the President of the club is the architect of our last team to see the post season that just happened to be one game away from being crowned champions? The guy who also brought in arguably the best defenseman in the league at the time for role players and spare parts? The insanity of Oilers fans never ceases.

25. Logan91 says:

Hmmmmmm…… This has me wondering…. Is Sather old and cagey and old??

26. David says:

hunter1909: Hahahaha always hilarious when someone down at Rexall puts on his online outrage for everyone to enjoy.

Is anything I just said false?

27. pboy says:

Watching the Penguins – Rangers game right now and I’m waiting to see if they pan the camera to Messier. If he’s in the arena, they are going to show him and 6 Rings and MacT won’t be far away. I think LT’s instincts are good here and something is brewing. It won’t be Yak though.

28. cabbiesmacker says:

David:

Hey thanks for chippin in there Kev6R

29. David says:

cabbiesmacker: Hey thanks for chippin in there Kev6R

Is anything I said false?

30. Nuckout says:

Any guesses as to who will be HS’ed tommorow? Anyone?

31. cabbiesmacker says:

Zelepukin:
    Can we please stop with the Yak trade talks now,

Why? If he can bring a net gain I really don’t see the problem.

I’d have to think awful hard if McDonagh was the player coming back. Actually I wouldn’t but the Rangers aren’t desperate enough to make that move right now.

32. pboy says:

David,

Kevin Lowe has sat upon the throne of the worst organization in the NHL for the better part of a decade.

Is anything I said false?

33. Brackenburied says:

Nuckout:
    Any guesses as to who will be HS’ed tommorow? Anyone?

Gagner out. Arco back to centre, O’Mark in.

34. Nuckout says:

Brackenburied: Gagner out. Arco back to centre, O’Mark in.

Is Gags injured? If he’s not, I wonder why they’d take him out in his 4th game back. He’s going to find his legs, he just needs time.

Unless he’s injured.

35. cabbiesmacker says:

David: Is anything I said false?

Didn’t see any falsehoods. Just a whole lot of missing data.

MacIntyre? Grebeshkov? Additional 2 MEH D’men? Zero depth at C? LaBarbera Streisand?

As for ol 6Rings. Lets not even go into his trilogy of ineptitude since 2006.

36. Brackenburied says:

iCrashing, later gang.

37. nycoil says:

I’m at the game at MSG. Based on the first the saw him good candidates are McDonagh (duh), Lundqvist (no chance), Kreider and Miller. I hope it isn’t Del Zotto they are after, or Kreider. Hagelin, Miller, even Boyle I am OK with. But not at the cost of Hemsky, let alone Yak.
    Girardi looks OK. As I said in the previous thread he reminds me of Jason Smith in his prime. If he costs similar to get I am all for it but not at the rumoured price.

P.S. One Rangers fan to another after Taylor Pyatt gets muscled off the puck by a guy 5 inches shorter: “Way to fight, Pyatt. Now go hook somebody.”

38. David says:

pboy:
    David,

Is anything I said false?

The key is time. A year ago the thought of adding Brian Burke was the stupidest idea ever. Now that the leafs are winning people are saying things like we needed to grab Brian Burke when he was available. I got to run to the rodeo but look at what Kevin Lowe traded to get Pronger and when Pronger demanded out what he got. Smid, Lupul, and the pick that became Eberle if I’m not mistaken. GM’s get more than one Coaching Hire. presidents get more than one GM hire. Losing was the plan for the past few years. If anything getting a fall guy and moving up the ladder seems shrewd. And look what it’s gotten us. Hall, Nuge, Yak. Give it time the future is bright.

39. ashley says:

When Stamkos was going through his painful learning curve, TB almost gave up on him. Sather was nearly the beneficiary, and Sather laments the missed opportunity a year later in this article:

I bet he’s pitching hard for the second opportunity in less than 5 years buy low on a future high scoring young phenom struggling to find his way.

MacT wouldn’t do that to us though. Would he?

40. pboy says:

If the Rags actually traded for Hemsky, he would be a fan favorite in about 3 shifts.

David,

Lowe did a magnificent job in 2006 and the organization got within 1 win of a Stanley Cup. It’s been a disaster besides that shining moment. I’m not going to bother with all of the criticisms of his work, it really doesn’t matter. He’s not going anywhere. At this point I’m just hoping that the management team gets lucky.

41. nycoil says:

Quote of the night part two: my girlfriend to me as I mention MacT and co might be at this game, too: “Ever since I met you five years ago you’ve been saying the Oilers are bad now but they are young and will mature. So what’s the deal? Their voices have dropped but they’re still weak?” I had no comeback for that. She is from Japan and doesn’t know a lot about hockey.

42. Jon K says:

My two cents: Hemsky is on the move and I bet John Moore is part of the deal coming back.

The Oilers have loved Moore since his draft year and he’s a LD puck mover.

If not Moore, the alternative is that a PK forward is coming back which means Dominic Moore, Taylor Pyatt, or Brian Boyle.

My homer pie-in-the-sky trade proposal: Hemsky, Omark, and Potter for John Moore and Taylor Pyatt. I think we would give up more through Hemsky, but we also clear out two contracts the Oilers have been hopeful to move. We fill two minor needs.

43. Zelepukin says:

cabbiesmacker: Why? If he can bring a net gain I really don’t see the problem.

44. Hayek says:

MacT is in Manhattan???

I thought it was Lowe meeting with Messier.

Jon K:

The Oilers have loved Moore since his draft year and he’s a LD puck mover.

Forgot about Moore, and you’re right they loved him.

46. DeadmanWaking says:

David: The key is time.

Time is money. The team collected four hundred million dollars in gate receipts while limbo dancing for a brighter future. Tickets holders generally adopt a hostile ROI on rebuild by sundial. Even on the most charitable interpretation (with the arena considered a legitimate distraction) they bungled away two years.

James Tiberius Kirk was arguably the most famous and highly-decorated starship captain in the history of Starfleet. Over the span of three decades in the late 23rd century, he commanded the Constitution-class starships USS Enterprise and USS Enterprise-A, serving Federation interests as an explorer, soldier, time-traveler, and diplomat.

Six rings, then they made him a rear admiral, where he was far too hot headed for the demands of the job. Having failed in that role, everyone in Starfleet now believes that if he so much as looks at Sulu, that Sulu will cream the Enterprise into the nearest parked car.

Space cooties.

nycoil:

With respect, I think she knows a LOT about hockey. :-)

48. VanOil says:

I have long been against trading Hemsky because he is a under appreciated player that has put his wonderful skill and physical well being on the line for the Oilers through many a dark year. As it stands right now I wish him happy trails, not because I wish to be rid of him, but because he deserves greener pastures. This team sinks.

As for a return I think the Oilers will lose any trade involving Hemsky but at least Marco Roy is only 3 years away if he arrives at all to a 3d RW position.

49. Nuckout says:

Jon K:

The Oilers have loved Moore since his draft year and he’s a LD puck mover.

Pyatt=A whole world of no.
    He’s aging, and he wouldn’t fit in anywhere except maybe the fourth line. That really doesn’t solve much

50. Oilanderp says:

So, this is how it went: I was reading up on my ‘ol Oilers when i came upon the featured youtube clip of today. Pressed play, I did. Company unexpected arrived. Thought the music was a little ’80s’ for the situation but then got distracted by one of the just-arrived kids whatsthegizmothingydo? God love’r, finished nice kid, and

one of the boys asked me what the music was playing and I said I dunno was pretty good yeahweallagree

It really came around….. jazzed out without the jaZZ…. and was making us yearn for the comearound.

Then as they wentoutonthepatio I decided to give my appreciation here and log in…………

it ended. I was never good at parties. Great music good sirs, and thanks. Some of the best music i’ve heard in my life!

Damn your confounded login mechanism!

51. cabbiesmacker says:

Zelepukin: Ya not a problem for you maybe. For the coach and the rest of the players, that’s a huge issue as I already mentioned. Plus as Ashley timely posted:

So? Oilers need a Dman that doesn’t have his head up his ass and getting a prime version when you can is a smart play.

52. icecastles says:

David: Is anything I said false?

I think the key phrase here is “sample size”. It’s why in court people are reminded not to tell just the truth, but the WHOLE truth. Yes, KLowe did some great things. But he’s done many many more silly and indefensible things.

Yakupov Trade
    I recall when we won the third 1st overall pick, my joy (and the joy of many, who, unlike me, know what they’re talking about) stemmed less from having three amazing forwards then it did from having OPTIONS. Having one star forward means you’re damn unlikely to ever trade him or want to trade him. Having three or four star forwards means yes you can keep him, but you also have some currency to go after the things you’re lacking.

To me, the notion of trading Yak has much less to do with who would be going than who would be coming. Depth at forward (given the debatable assumption that we have it) means if we are hurting for a defenseman or a goalie, we having a chip we can use to get that missing piece.

Flying in the face of that advantage is that
    (a) in his current slump, Yak would be unlikely to land as much return as he otherwise warrants)
    (b) It’s too early to know what we have with him. The odds of winning a trade long-term (and you can’t trade a guy like him for short-term gain) involving Yakupov feel slim unless MacT is able to fleece another GM.

I don’t thin the or anyone on the team is untouchable (aside perhaps from Hall, Nuge and Patty O’Sullivan… wait), but the risk of losing a trade is just far too great. Small stakes: no problem. Big stakes: don’t screw around unless you’re CERTAIN of what you have..

53. nycoil says:

Touche!
    Rangers looking good tonight. Bad game to watch if you’re looking to trade with them. Everyone looks solid. Rangers are probably better than their record indicates given that monster road trip to start the season. After tonight Sather is going to be less inclined to make a bad deal with rumours Nash started skating today. Just say no, MacT. Say no. Good to scout other teams but don’t trade from under the gun.

54. Nuckout says:

I can’t believe all the talk still about Yak being moved. I believe Eakins when he says he will not be moved. Despite all the misperceived failings, he is a straight shooter and a man of his word.

If Yak is moved after Eaks gives his word he won’t be, all trust is gone, and all bets are off. He’s not that dumb.

If anything, Eakins wouldn’t say what he said without confirmation from MacT at the very least.

That statement was planned. Read between the lines, Yakupov is going nowhere.

Hemsky and/or Omark, on the other hand….

55. stevezie says:

For a Swede, Omark’s English is terrible.

56. icecastles says:

Nuckout: That statement was planned. Read between the lines, Yakupov is going nowhere.

Are there some kind of invisi-posts on here ranting to move Yakupov?

You’re up, Nuckout and ZeppelinPumpkin (apologies: I forget your handle and I’m too lazy to scroll).

57. icecastles says:

stevezie: For a Swede, Omark’s English is terrible.

Yeah but for a hockey player, it’s pretty good.
    Bazinga!

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’ve been thinking about this…

I’m not really sure I see the logic in bringing in another D unless they can clear the Petry line comfortably. If they can’t clear that line, you are simply adding to log-jam of D without necessarily upgrading the D.

Now, if another Petry comes in and a N. Schultz goes out, great.

But if another middle to bottom pairing D comes in and a forward leaves, I’m not sure how that helps.

I think that probably leaves out everyone on the NYR but McD and he’s not leaving. M Staal doesn’t seem like a good bet… I worry about that eye and he’s probably going to bolt when his contract expires.

59. RexLibris says:

Sather has had some good deals, but lets not equate him with some bogeyman come to steal away all our best players.

He dealt Gomez for McDonagh, true. But that is partially because Gauthier was at the helm while Gainey was dealing with his daughter’s disappearance and should have had a restraining order for the GM’s chair.

He also dealt a strong package to Columbus for Rick Nash, overspent on Gaborik and has mishandled the cap to the extent that the Rangers were very nearly offer sheeted on Kreider earlier this season.

Sather was the one responsible for keeping Barry Fraser past his best-before date when there was a mountain of evidence that he was no longer getting the job done.

This is not the Sather of old, although he is still a cagey manager and not one I’d dare play cards against.

Hemsky likely gone? Yeah, could definitely happen, and to be frank, as much as I would miss the Pardubice Prince (sail on article written yet, LT?) I honestly do believe that the return would be of net benefit for the team, be it an effective center or a top-pairing defenseman.

60. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

No to Staal. No to Del Zotto.

Girardi is a likely swap. Maybe Hemsky and N. Schultz for Girardi and Boyle (all expiring UFAs) or maybe even Hagelin.

61. russ99 says:

Girardi would be a top pairing D on this team and cure a lot of ills.

But would Hemsky, N, Schultz and a future (not first) pick get it done?

I’d assume that the Rangers would need to add in a big body F who can’t do much else but check to even out the salary.

Trading for a center is moot. We have RNH, Gagner, Gordon, Arcobello and Lander. Plus there’s no way MacT would jeopardize future contract negotiations by going back on his verbal no-trade with Gagner, as much as some Oilers fans would prefer the Oilers have a bigger 2-way center on the 2nd line instead.

62. Nuckout says:

icecastles: Someone’s going to have to show me the myriad posts suggesting Yak be moved. Mine was probably the closest to suggesting it, and I made it quite clear that I think he should stay right where he is.

Are there some kind of invisi-posts on here ranting to move Yakupov?

I wouldn’t call it a myriad. There may have been a couple, but my post may have been slightly exaggerated.

Probably was Hunter1909, but he’s gone now, everything’s ok.

I stand by my out of propotion posts.

63. Henry says:

nycoil:

Touche!

So true.

64. Gerta Rauss says:

I’ve been advocating pretty much anything/anybody that results in Jultz playing 3rd pairing minutes so Girardi works for me.I’d prefer to keep Hemsky but there seems to be a fit there from both the dollar standpoint and the apparent needs of both teams.

ROM makes a good point above-if they bring in Girardi they’ll have a lot of money tied up on D-another move may be needed.

65. Henry says:

DeadmanWaking: Time is money.The team collected four hundred million dollars in gate receipts while limbo dancing for a brighter future.Tickets holders generally adopt a hostile ROI on rebuild by sundial.Even on the most charitable interpretation (with the arena considered a legitimate distraction) they bungled away two years.

Space cooties.

Just a guess, but I’ll bet you are a Jack Vance fan. Am I right?

66. Nuckout says:

russ99:
    Girardi would be a top pairing D on this team and cure a lot of ills.

But would Hemsky, N, Schultz and a future (not first) pick get it done?

I’d assume that the Rangers would need to add in a big body F who can’t do much else to even out the salary.

They already have that in Taylor Pyatt.

I could see Hemsky, Nultz and the 4th from the Brown trade

for

Carl Haeglin and Del Zotto.

Yeah bloody right.

67. Henry says:

Girardi is a fine player but he is a right D. If he’s on the top pair, who is he with? The Oilers need a top pairing Left D to play with Petry IMO and they need him until Nurse and Klefbom are ready to fill the role in a couple years. As a pending UFA he’s just caretaking and pushing Petry to number 4. If Jultz is 6 Imguess that’s something but is it worth Hemsky who might sign again?

68. Andy P says:

Who would they get for Hemsky and Omark?

69. rickithebear says:

By 08-09, allthat renained from the cup run
    Hemsky
    Horcoff
    Pisani
    Moreau
    Staios.

we have lacked a skilled veteeran base 26-31.
    We currently have
    N. schultz 31 #6-7D
    Hemsky 30 -11 472/473 2nd worst in league.
    Gordon D Zone Gold
    Eager 29 AHL to start
    jones 29 AHL to Start
    Smid 27
    Belov 27
    Acton 26
    Over the next 6 years we will have the youth forming a large 26-31 base.

If hemsky goes, 26-29 year old fuctional players would be Ideal.

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Before tonight the Avs had only given up 19 goals in 13 games. That’s absurd.

When the correction finally comes (they’ve given up 3 through 2 periods tonight), I wonder how the press will react?

Ha! No I don’t.

71. Nuckout says:

Andy P:
    Who would they get for Hemsky and Omark?

Are the Oilers ready to lose a RW on the depth chart? If so, both Hemsky and Omark for either Girardi or Del Zotto, but as Henry points out, the need for a top pairing LD is there. I would suggest Mcdonough + a pick. Omark is basically trade chum at this point.

72. Gerta Rauss says:

Henry,

I’d run with

Smid-Petry
    Ference-Girardi
    Belov-Jultz

We still don’t have a true top pairing but I don’t think that’s available from the Rangers anyway. You can swap Smid and Ference if you like, and Nick Schultz is moved along sooner, rather than later.

In a perfect world I definitely keep Hemsky and the deal is Nick Schultz and shiny things for Girardi but I don’t see why the Rangers make that deal if they are looking for offense.

Gerta Rauss:
    Henry,

I’d run with

Smid-Petry
    Ference-Girardi
    Belov-Jultz

I’d go

Belov-Petry
    Smid-Girardi
    Ference-Justin Schultz

74. Gerta Rauss says:

Well I’m glad we agreed on the 6 skaters..:)

75. Henry says:

Gerta Rauss,

Sure if the deal is N. Shultz and a prospect or pick D for Girardi, that is a nice D going forward with the #1D/pinkunicorn still missing but acceptable given the situation in the standings.

If they trade Hemmer for Girardi, they relegate the three scoring lines idea back into the hypotheses-never-to-be-tested file and we get to bitch about Ryan Jones for the rest of the year.

76. icecastles says:

Nuckout: I stand by my out of propotion posts.

Out of proportion posts are the worst thing ever anywhere. :D

And yeah, that sounds like Hunter.

Gerta Rauss:

Well I’m glad we agreed on the 6 skaters..:)

Ha!

78. David says:

I don’t think Lowe is great, but I don’t think he’s horrible either. I believe that Tambellini was the GM when he was the GM. (Tambo’s style was a lot different than Lowe’s) if Lowe should get the boot for being the president through a rebuild is one thing. But as it’s been pointed out he’s not going anywhere and it’s not the end of the world. What I can’t understand at all is the logic that MacT should be fired because he’s friends with Lowe. That’s just ridiculous.

79. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I’d go

Belov-Petry
    Smid-Girardi
    Ference-Justin Schultz

The Belov elevation continues!

Thinking about it more… with all the hangers on at D, it would be nice to see N. Schultz and Smid out in favor of top pairing D (I’m not saying that’s how the trade goes).

X-Petry
    Belov-Larsen/Fedun
    Ference-Schultz

80. David says:

Is there a report on Belov’s injury?

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Varlamov gave up 5 goals tonight on 27 shots:

This will be interesting to watch.

82. Lois Lowe says:

Can we please refer to Kevin Lowe not as 6Rings (which is okay) but as Sauron? Kevin Lowe is the Lord of the [Stanley Cup] Rings after all. I think it is as appropriate for this blog as much as OTC was.

It also explains the darkness that has enveloped this franchise since 2006.

We fans are in Mordor.

83. icecastles says:

Lois Lowe: Can we please refer to Kevin Lowe not as 6Rings (which is okay) but as Sauron?

Seconded.

Not to geek out and overextend the metaphor, but would that make Pocklington Melkor?

Bucky, Smith and MacT are obviously his Nazgul…

And Samwise is still Samwise.

(hmm… losing the thread of LT’s original post… hmmm… GLEN SATHER IS GOLUMN! There we go.)

84. gogliano says:

I would see if the NYR would send over Nichols, Rice, and DeBrusk for Yak. Seems like the kind of trade that would return us to the winning traditions of a previous decade.

85. Hammers says:

Lowetide: I’d go

Belov-Petry
    Smid-Girardi
    Ference-Justin Schultz

Belov -Girardi then Ference – Petry then Smid -Justin . Larsen the extra & 3rd rd pick for Nick .

86. Hammers says:

Problem is Sather will want a kid from Okl as well Maybe Musil . Slats won’t do Hemmer for Girardi straight up .

87. jp says:

gogliano:
    I would see if the NYR would send over Nichols, Rice, and DeBrusk for Yak.Seems like the kind of trade that would return us to the winning traditions of a previous decade.

Hey, maybe we can trade Messier back to the Rangers again… Love how MacT keeps stockpiling assets.

88. nycoil says:

Nuckout,

Forgive me if I misunderstood, but are you suggesting we could get McDonagh and a pick for Hemsky and Omark? I wish Sather loses his marbles before this trade, too, but if that’s all it takes, there would be 29 other teams offering much more than that. McDonagh is a legit top pairing D-man on a bargain contract through 2019 and is going nowhere.

89. Bag of Pucks says:

Lowetide: I’d go

Belov-Petry
    Smid-Girardi
    Ference-Justin Schultz

Ference good enough to play Top 4 for a Cup finalist but not a perennial cellar dwellar. That makes sense.

By my eye, Smid is the fellow sinking on the depth chart this season. I’ve seen a lot of breakout passes into player skates this year.

If Larsen flat out outplays J Schultz, can the Oil overlook player ‘pedigree’ to ice the lineup that gives them the best chance to win?