#14 PROSPECT: DAVID MUSIL

Most Oiler fans were displeased with the selection of David Musil, feeling it was another example of the “Oild Boys Club” mentality that sees so many former Oilers in important positions within the organization. I’ve seen him enough to have an opinion (dangerous) and have him ranked #14 in the system.

PREVIOUSLY NUMBER FOURTEEN ON THE LIST

• December 2004: R Zack Stortini
  • December 2005: D Taylor Chorney
  • December 2006: C Kyle Brodziak
  • December 2007: D Cody Wild
  • December 2008: L Bryan Lerg
  • December 2009: R Ryan Stone
  • December 2010: C Chris VandeVelde
  • December 2011: D Jeremie Blain
  • December 2012: G Olivier Roy

Some nice players on the list, and the type of players (3rd round picks and later) that makes sense too, as you would think the 1st and 2nd rounders would have started higher and graduated within two or three winters. Stortini had a decent NHL career, Brodziak (both from the 2003 draft) is still going in the NHL and most of the rest are humming along in the minor leagues. Roy remains a prospect of interest, and the only 2nd rounders on the list are Chorney (too small for the NHL blue), Ryan Stone (speed, skill) and our man Musil (more about his gifts and challenges below).

WHAT THEY SAID ON DRAFT DAY

Checkers vs. OKC Barons 10-5-13

• TSN: Highly touted in the Czech Republic for several years, one of the rare players to compete in three U-18 championships. Good genes, being the son of a former NHLer and a tennis pro, and nephew of Bobby Holik. Strengths - Has good gap control and active stick. He can play a physical game given his size and strength. Has a hard shot, good character and leadership abilities. Weaknesses - Shot lacks accuracy, takes too long to shoot, feet are below average, hands aren’t great, not a puck carrier, dead ends himself. Could be more consistent with his physical play.
  • Redline report: His father, Frank, was a longtime NHL defenseman and currently a highly respected scout. David has excellent size and strength and plays a rugged brand of hockey with a bit of a mean streak. He reads developing plays well and uses anticipation to break up plays before they become dangerous. He’s got good hockey sense in all three zones, but his offensive upside is limited due to his mediocre point shot.
  • Redline on his comparable: Maintains great gap control and always squares up to the puckhandler. Has good poise, plays solid, mistake-free game in own zone and is excellent positionally. Reads and anticipates developing plays well. Good laterally, but 1st step and straightaway speed are average. Is not good as either a PP quarterback or trigger-man— has weak shot and makes poor decisions in puck distribution. Comparable to Ladislav Smid.
  • Vancouver Giants coach Don Hay: “David’s a real good player. He’s a dependable defensive defenceman who gets the puck up the ice. He’s very solid in his own end of the ice, he understands the game very well. We rely on David to be a shutdown guy and a penalty kill guy, he’s the same player as he was at 16, he’s just more mature now. He’s got a very good hockey IQ, he just needs to keep getting stronger, to continue to work on his skating, and being a little bit better on the offensive blueline.”

DAVID MUSIL, POINTS BY DISCIPLINE

PLAYER EV PP PK TOTAL
DAVID MUSIL 2010-11 WHL 62, 5-12-17 62, 1-6-7 62, 0-1-1 62, 6-19-25
DAVID MUSIL 2011-12 WHL 59, 1-12-13 59, 5-9-14 59, 0-0-0 59, 6-21-27
DAVID MUSIL 2012-13 WHL 62, 9-21-30 62, 0-1-1 62, 0-0-0 62, 9-22-31
DAVID MUSIL 2013-14 AHL 10, 0-1-1 10, 0-0-0 10, 0-0-0 10, 0-1-1

This is kind of  a funny hockey card, because you can see he came in with quite an offensive reputation (Musil was a very famous early as a prospect) but Redline had it nailed with the poor shot and minus decision-making. The even strength number looks right, although he did post some big numbers in 2012-13 because of time spent with a very talented Oil Kings group, but I think we have his offense surrounded and Laddy is a good comparable.

PREVIOUS TOP 20 RANKING

• Summer 2011: 8
  • Winter 2011: 10
  • Summer 2012: 13
  • Winter 2012: 8
  • Summer 2013: 15
  • Winter 2013: 14

Musil earned the top 10 ranking based on being a second round pick (just outside the first round) but hasn’t been able to keep it. I ‘saw him good’ last winter and in ranking him #8 said “what Musil provides–reliable defense featuring an uncanny ability to defuse oncoming sorties, win battles along the wall and in front of the net, to calm the waters–he delivers consistently and effectively” and I still believe that to be true. Musil has moved down the list, but he’s not a forgotten prospect.

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING THIS SEASON

• musil2Jonathan Willis: There’s been a lot of doom and gloom around Musil’s status as a prospect, but his game has translated beautifully to the professional ranks. He generally alternates with (and occasionally plays beside) Martin Gernat on Oklahoma’s third pairing and seems comfortable playing on his off-side.

ETA MUSIL

There are two trains on Musil, and I’ll explain them this way:

1. So, I’m talking to this scout winter 2012 and he says to me Musil won’t have a career. I say, wow, ‘you’re that sure?’ and the response is ‘no doubt’ and you know he’s had some success (this is a scout for an eastern seaboard team) and what the hell do I know? So, you know, no matter how much you want to see a guy succeed that kind of information kind of stays with you. So I ask why he’s not convinced, and it comes down to foot speed, guy doesn’t think he’ll make the AHL as a regular. Now I’m really wondering what the hell here, because the Oilers spent a 2nd rounder on him, you know?
  2. I’m no scout, and believe me I know this is going to sound strange, but Musil impresses me with his defensive play. He’s really good at covering—now he gets beaten from time to time and does have skating issues—and is a beast physically at the junior level. I have a hard time seeing what Musil did in the WHL and believing this is the last level we’ll see him be that kind of player. Also, I do talk to people who know hockey and have asked them, and they all see what I’ve told you here (and have also mentioned the skating).

So, I’m putting this out there, because some day we’ll look back and know but right now I don’t think anyone is absolutely certain (aside from that scout I spoke to a year ago). This is  a very unusual player, because he appears to be SO good at the defensive side of the game that he’s a genuine prospect despite two strikes (speed, puck moving ability).

44 Responses to "#14 PROSPECT: DAVID MUSIL"

1. spoiler says:

Think Plante. I think that’s a much closer comp than Smid, who is a much better skater than Musil. Plante also had some very good offensive numbers on a crack Hitmen squad, but apparently he wasn’t even the getaway driver… he was just along for the ride.

The thing about the modern NHL is you can’t get beaten to the outside by a rushing winger and I think Musil will get beaten there all day long and twice on Saturdays.

He wouldn’t make my top 20. I’m just happy that Arco is ranked higher than him.

2. David says:

Some players have markedly improved their footspeed which was a glaring black mark. Ex. Lander, Simpson. Is this done through improving technique of stride? Or building muscles? Whatever it is get it through Musil. Cause I agree he can play defence exceptionally well.

3. fifthcartel says:

I forget who is the one pumping Draisaitl but I just read something from Jim Matheson in the journal saying “Mark this Down” about how much the Oilers like him, especially if they haven’t dealt their pick (and if it’s early but that seems obvious).

4. Logan91 says:

Luckily skating is something that can be worked on. I was always against this pick

5. oilersfan says:

6. VanOil says:

While our other European Defensive Prospects need to find the buffet table this summer young David should find the toe picks. A 12 week figure skating boot camp combined with some tennis foot speed drills with his Mom would likely earn him an NHL career. Maybe not with the Oilers as he does not fit the current coaching philosophy, mind you the Oilers change head coaches more often than player change gloves.

I hope Musil makes it. I saw him as Smids successor. I miss Smid.

7. Logan91 says:

oilersfan:

This Musil pick might one day cost macgregor his job if you add it to plante and nash who were in his primary territory when prendergast picked them. Ty rattie and boone jenner also on theboard. Worst pick in the macgregorera imo

I doubt it was MacGregor who wanted Musil that high.

8. spoiler says:

oilersfan: I wanted SAad so badly. Saad was ranked 8 overall by bob mackenzie in the january edition. He had. Groin injury and played through it and dropped 20 places in BMs ranking by draft injury. So mediocre bastard took a slow dman ranked 44 th at 31 instead of a fast big skilled winger ranked 8th four months into the season who fell because of injury. This Musil pick might one day cost macgregor his job if you add it to plante and nash who were in his primary territory when prendergast picked them. Ty rattie and boone jenner also on theboard. Worst pick in the macgregor era imo

I don’t think too many people were happy with this pick. Bottom pairing defensive defensemen are a dime a dozen and can be found every off-season (assuming Musil can make it to that level). This pick looks like a tremendous waste. The happy hype on Musil as a 16yo had faded into yawning ambivalence by draft day. His defensive coverage is very strong and smart, but I don’t see how he can carve out a career with that one capability.

9. prairieschooner says:

Young Mr Musil needs to go catching chickens or attend a skating boot camp next summer
    A fixable problem surely?

10. SK Oiler Fan says:

A slower Smid with worse hands and shot. No chance. He’d spend hours in his own end unless he was paired with a 25 year old Darnell Nurse
    This team could use a Brandon Saad right now.

11. Old School G says:

I am really liking our first 12 prospects and think that all stand a real chance at making an impact for the big club when their time is right, each one of them play a certain type of game that addresses team needs. I’m not quite there with Fedun or Musil. I hope they both prove me wrong, everyone loves a good underdog story for any stretch of games. They may just grow impatient. Fedun has already provided us with this story, how much longer will he want to stay in OKC? Each of them can still earn a living playing a game for as long as they or their body can handle which while not the highest level is still living the dream in my book.

12. misfit says:

I was hoping we’d take one of Musil, Jenner, or Gibson with our 2nd pick (in that order too) and was pleased when we took Frank’s son.

With that said, it’s looking like mild disappointment on draft day for me would’ve resulted in a better prospect joining the organization overall. Either of those other two would be godsends on this team now.

I’m still pulling for Musil, but it’s looking more like a miss to me. The presence of hockey sense means he’s not Plante or Teubert, but he has his struggles, and a few years in the minors is probably what he needs.

13. VanOil says:

So Grebs has a poor game, so poor that he is benched for more than a period and post game reports predict that he has played his last game as an Oiler. What do the Oilers do? Assign Potter to the AHL. I don’t drink enough to understand this team.

14. misfit says:

spoiler:The happy hype on Musil as a 16yo had faded into yawning ambivalence by draft day.His defensive coverage is very strong and smart, but I don’t see how he can carve out a career with that one capability.

15. gcw_rocks says:

oilersfan,

This is why the Oilers suck. This years’ Blackhawks have 8 players they drafted in the second round or later playing on their roster, including Saad and 4 other second rounders. The Kings currently have 5 players they selected after the 1st round on their roster.

The Oilers have Petry and that’s it. If you can’t make the smart, and probably safer play, in the second round, and hit the odd single and double after that, you are going to suffer depth issues. The Oilers drafting record sucks, and as much promise as it seemed to have at the beginning of the magnificent bastard era, he hasn’t delivered enough.

16. gcw_rocks says:

Logan91,

“I doubt it was MacGregor who wanted Musil that high.”

Based on what?

17. cabbiesmacker says:

No other way to look at the pick than as a giant CF. A minimum of 10 players taken later that round that are or project to be better.

Mediocre Bastard Stu and YOURRR Edmonton Oilers. Smarter than all the rest.

I will add however that The Chicago Blackhawks and at least 8 other NHL teams + myself are extremely thankful.

18. cabbiesmacker says:

gcw_rocks:
    Logan91,

“I doubt it was MacGregor who wanted Musil that high.”

Based on what?

Based on Frank being bigger, tougher, and a former Oiler maybe?

19. Henry says:

You know I trust Willis here. He’s a balanced guy that looks at the Oilers with a critical eye. Maybe the slow development curve afforded to Musil pays off. He and Simpson have to work on skating as old juniors/ young pros. Worked very well for Eberle, less so for Plante. High hockey IQ is worth a wait on physical development especially when they have other guys ready to go through the door.

20. sliderule says:

Typical oiler nepotism.

They asked Frank to leave the room while they talked about him.I would like to know the brave soul who spoke up about his cement feet.Not likely.

When you have your head scout sitting in the the middle of BC using picks on guys he sees in tier two leagues you have a problem.

Stu the not so magnificent should be in Edmonton overseeing his far flung staff and meeting regularly with mact .

21. Romulus Apotheosis says:

A couple of points on Musil.

1. He should be in the ECHL right now. Not because he’s in over his head at the AHL (the reports seem to indicate he’s not dying in 3rd pairing role), but because he (and this goes for Gernat too) is still very green and needs TOI and needs to learn the disciplines.

As long as MacT lets the logjam continue, Musil needs to find some games.

2. I don’t know where Musil will end up, but I’m guessing he’s the first of the D kids MacT mentions in trade talks. My bet is he is our version of the LAK’s Teubert and won’t last his ELC within the organization.

3. That doesn’t mean he won’t have a long career in the NHL. I just think he’s first out the door.

—————

fifthcartel:

That’s probably me. But, noticing he’s awesome is like shooting fish in a barrel. I’d love to keep that pick if we can land the white whale of a big Center with hands.

22. jp says:

misfit: Bryan Allen has played 668 NHL games (and counting) with less, and we didn’t even have to use a 4th overall pick on Musil.

Yeah, there’s a load of examples of defense only guys with no speed or puck skills having long careers. And dad Frank remains the best comparable imo.

I’m not going to argue that this was a good pick. Limited upside at the time and clearly passed by a bunch of his peers already. At the same time I can see the appeal – getting a Frank Musil in the 2nd round wouldn’t be such a bad investment.

As for whether Musil the younger will make it in the big leagues – well, I don’t think I’d bet on it, but I also wouldn’t be shocked. If Jonathan Willis is to be believed Musil has already proven that Eastern scout wrong. Despite the limited games and 3rd pairing minutes, it sounds like Musil can clearly handle the pro game. If he has indeed made a “beautiful” transition to the AHL, I don’t see why he couldn’t do the same to the NHL in a couple of years. He’ll always be 3rd pairing, but he certainly could have a career.

spoiler:

I don’t expect to see his skating improve much at this point, but some guys just have a knack for defending. Positioning and getting a piece of a guy can go a long way. Maybe Musil is one of those guys who can compensate for his lack of foot speed. He’s been doing it so far for whatever that’s worth.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Henry:
    You know I trust Willis here.He’s a balanced guy that looks at the Oilers with a critical eye.Maybe the slow development curve afforded to Musil pays off.He and Simpson have to work on skating as old juniors/ young pros.Worked very well for Eberle, less so for Plante.High hockey IQ is worth a wait on physical development especially when they have other guys ready to go through the door.

I trust Willis’ critical eye too.

But there’s a big caveat here… JW is only reporting on the home games and Musil isn’t playing all of those… so there’s a sample size alert here.

That said, any good news is good news!!

24. spoiler says:

Allen has always had decent feet. And his type can also be found in the UFA market or in a trade for a 3rd rounder. But yeah, there have been worse tragedies than Musil in the draft.

It wasn’t much of a reach pick maybe, but there were enough warning lights around his skating that he slipped in the rankings during his 17yo season… but so did Saad. Maybe the trick is you have to find the draft slider that is unfair (injury, attitude) as opposed to fair (skating, hands, sense).

Skating is critical to the modern game. Yes, brains and positioning can solve a lot of foot issues. But a certain base level has to be present… look at what has happened to Whitney, Barker, many others, If wingers can go around you, you are going to get exploited at this level. And you have to be able to carry the puck too. Hopefully his skating takes a step forward, so to speak, because we can see the premium that GMs are placing on mobility and puck-moving/carrying skills nowadays.

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So here’s something:

Chris Wescott @TheChrisWescott
    Ty Rimmer gets an opportunity in goal with the @okcbarons after a strong pre-season w/ #Oilers & camp w/ OKC

Looks like Bunz is either really in deep, or they want him to get games in… because … wow…

Romulus Apotheosis:
    So here’s something:

Chris Wescott @TheChrisWescott

27. jp says:

spoiler:

Sometimes you even hit on a draft slider that is fair with both skating and attitude issues (Schremp).

You’re completely right though that identifying which of the criticisms are real and which are overblown is key.

28. VanOil says:

Lowetide: McCurdy had an article up today that mentioned Bunz gave up 3 goals in 4 games and WON in Bakersfield. That’s crazy.

Apparently you do not drink enough to understand the Oilers personnel decisions either. Maybe drink is not strong enough, Acid might be the answer.

29. fifthcartel says:

One interesting thing about the goalie situation with OKC/BAK is Chet Pickard has a .975 through 4 games so far.

30. gcw_rocks says:

cabbiesmacker,

I get the sentiment, but I have yet to see any evidence that MacGregor isn’t part of that mentality/culture. If he really was standing up in the room and screaming “don’t draft this guy” and being over-ruled, you would think he would move on. I mean, if Pendergast can get another job in the NHL, you would think MacGregor could.

31. gcw_rocks says:

Minor correction: 3 goals in 4 shots and won. And I agree, that is crazy.

32. Hammers says:

Musil is a hold your breath kind of a player but if given a couple of AHL years he may make it but not with the Oilers . Still think a couple of “D” will be gone in a trade then Nick Schultz & Potter at the deadline . That should make more room for Musil & Gernat next year . Not sure why Nurse wasn’t picked for the junior team but it seems concerning plus they still haven’t given Klefbom 5-10 games .Like they say defensemen take years to make it and forwards months .5 home games coming and they need 7-8 points mainly to think they may have a chance . We don’t not even with all10 points .

33. jp says:

fifthcartel:

Not sure what’s up with Eliteprospects, but the ECHL site doesn’t agree with those stats for Pickard at all: http://echl.com/stats/player.php?id=3422.

Not nearly as pretty (and I checked the game logs far enough back to be certain that .975 through 4 games is not correct). Pickard has had a TOUGH pro career so far. Basically Bunz but with 3 extra years of failure (and Bunz has at least got at .900+ SV% in 4 AHL games this year). When I put “Chet Pickard” into Google, the first dropdown option was “Chet Pickard bust”. Pretty much sums it up.

Edit: A little more on Pickard. He actually had some nice numbers with Djurgardens in the Sweden 2nd league last season playing with Erik Gustafsson. Guess that’s what got him noticed (in addition to the pedigree).

34. delooper says:

One of Smid’s strongest points is his skating. If Musil is like Smid but can’t skate very well, he’s probably not going to work out, at least not on this team.

35. Pablo Aimar says:

gcw_rocks:
    Logan91,

“I doubt it was MacGregor who wanted Musil that high.”

Based on what?

Based on the fact that he is Magnificent. If there is a fuck up its obviously not his fault.

36. cabbiesmacker says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    So here’s something:

Chris Wescott @TheChrisWescott

37. Marc says:

There’s a lot of revisionist history out there about Musil.

Going into his draft year he was considered a likely top-5 pick. Here’s a great HFBoards thread about whether he or Larsson should be the first D picked in the 2011 draft:

He had a disappointing draft year and his draft position slipped as a consequence, but given the information available at the time, he was an entirely defensible pick at 31. Had he bounced back to form he showed in his draft -1 year, he would have been an absolute steal – a top 4 shut down D taken in the second round. As it turned out, his play in his draft year was more indicative of his ceiling, but there was no may of knowing at the draft that that would be the case.

Saad was in the exactly the same position – likely top-10 pick coming off a disappointing draft year – but the opposite happened. It’s only with hindsight hat we can say that he should have gone earlier.

Drafting a player who’s slipped over the course of their draft year is always a gamble – you’re hoping that the player’s earlier form is more indicative of their ceiling. I think it’s reasonable to criticise a team for taking the gamble at all ie. instead of only drafting players who improve over the course of their draft year. But criticising a team for gambling on a boom-bust prospect that subsequently doesn’t turn out instead of gambling on a boom-bust prospect that subsequently does turn out, is like criticising someone for buying a lottery ticket that didn’t win instead of one that did.

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ahhh… and here it is:

lot of info packed in that article. what a mess, huh?

what’s the word on Bachman and Pitlick anyway?

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

cabbiesmacker: Rimmer has always been as good a prospect as Bunz so it shouldn’t be a real big surprise. Whether that says more about Rimmer or Bunz is the question.

40. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I was thinking less about what it says about the players than how mgt. feels about them.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp: Maybe, but to be fair Bunz did get the first shot in OKC even though Rimmer lasted longer in camp. This might be more of a democratic allocation of AHL games like with Gernat/Musil – it’s Rimmer’s turn now.

Or, it could mean as I suggested earlier that they want Bunz to play a lot of games and that means in the ECHL (though Pickard may be eating his lunch too).

IIRC Bunz was actually playing pretty well when Brossoit (two years his junior) took the reins and it sure looks like that was a directive from above. Add that decision to this one and it looks like mgt. is considering burying Bunz for the interim.

42. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Certainly also possible. Brossoit definitely stepped directly onto a higher rung in the organization.

43. russ99 says:

The Musil pick at the time was a pretty good one. The second round is a total crapshoot. You can cherry-pick a few players (Jenner and Jurco in this case) that could have been picked, but nobody knew those players would be where they are now.

And who knows, if the brass is patient with Musil and he can strengthen his skating, we might end up with something decent in a few years.

The issue isn’t really this pick, it’s how the second and third rounds has been handled the last few years, where Frank Musil’s kid, Oil Kings and reach picks to fit an impossible profile (Lucic) were taken instead of BPA and more sure bets that could be either helping the big club now or could be ready to help in a few years.

We don’t have any quality non-grinder forward prospects, except for Roy and maybe Pitlick if he can ever stay healthy.

Hopefully that track record ended with Tambellini’s dismissal.

44. Bruce McCurdy says:

This is kind of a funny hockey card, because you can see he came in with quite an offensive reputation (Musil was a very famous early as a prospect)

I’ll say. Musil had a VERY unusual career curve in juniors in that he played four full seasons and achieved his career high in points (32) as a 16-year-old rookie. Also had a +33 that year, and looked like an All-World prospect. Entering his second year he was touted as a lottery prospect for sure, as Marc confirms with that very informative link to HFBoards. (Hats off to anybody who can wade through all that HFB and find the good stuff, of which there is quite a bit in isolated spots.)

I know I took a road trip to Red Deer that fall of 2010 to watch a game between the Rebels and Giants to see the match-up between those two, given the possibility the struggling Oilers might be choosing between them (!) at some future point. Wound up interviewing both guys, my first two interviews of any type in my then-new gig at Cult of Hockey. Funny how it turned out, both wound up as Oilers draft picks. What’s that, a 900:1 shot? If you had asked me that night, I would never have dreamed Musil wouldn’t go in the first round.

Here was my take at the time, still an interesting read today in my admittedly-biased opinion.

Note also the reference to Brendan Gallagher, a guy the Oilers didn’t draft despite their blanket coverage of BC the previous year(s). I’m not one prone to a lot of second-guessing about guys who wound up drafted by other teams, but I’ve always wondered how Stu & Co. let that guy get away. What a steal for the Habs in the 5th round. I saw the guy play a bunch of live games for the Giants and later for Team Canada, and honestly wasn’t even a tiny bit surprised when the Edmonton (!) native quickly emerged in the NHL. I’ve never seen the kid have a bad game and rarely one where he was a non-factor.